Speaker 1: The guys from paying They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters.
Speaker 2: I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Pink proven Grounds Podcast. I am Shane Bak and joined as always by Marty Jerts and Marty. We got an exciting guest today, talk a little fairway woods.
Speaker 1: We got Travis Millerman. So he is the chief engineer on the Fairweywood family, So we couldn't have a better engineer knows it all this He does know it all and knows every nook and cranny of the four forty fairway Woods. Travis. I think the listeners out there follow the Proving Grounds podcast know that the four to thirty fairway would pretty much dominated the usage on the PGA Tour. All of our staff used at a lot of non staff players using it. Super popular. Why was it so popular and what did we do to make it even better with the four to forty?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I think it's done really well on the PGA Tour. Shockingly, it did better on the PGA Tour. It's second year in launch, in life cycle of its product, but I think we had some stat that it won. The fairywould count The G four to thirty Max Firrywood was the number one fairwood on the PGA Tour for thirty six out of forty weeks.
Speaker 2: In a row.
Speaker 3: Crazy pretty good nine months stretch there, and I think it truly is a testament to delivering stable flight. The Max Ferrywood was the number one model, not the LST so it did provide a really good ability to get the ball in the air with pretty stable MOI properties. So we felt like the players had pretty good distance control and directional control off the tee.
Speaker 1: What role did you know? I see? You know, folks are go out and they see the fairwood to retail, to see the sticker. Spinsistency might sound like some marketing term to them. What is sponsistency? How does it work? How did it work in the four thirty? We made need changes in the four to forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, easy to say, right, sponsistency. So sponsistency is our variable role. So it's the the change of the curvature of the face from the top of the crown to the bottom of the sole. We vary the curvature of that to help people give more consistent spin conditions. So as we'd say spin sistent, so lower on the face. Typically with fairywoods that don't have this technology, they're gonna launch pretty low with a ton of spin. So we've actually shaped the bottom of that face such that the spin conditions will be a little bit more consistent relative to a shot in the center of the face or even high on the face. So we do vary that to help add to the total effective performance to the club. It would even say, you could say it's a little bit more effective my even though it's not going to show up on any reading.
Speaker 2: Travis, I want to talk about fairy woods in terms of usage because I feel like there's kind of a debate right now. It's like off the t off the turf, you know, you're hitting a second shot into a par five, and it feels like certain fairywoods are built specifically for one part or the other, and I imagine it's tough to build one that works both off the tea and from a fairway.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking to PJA tour players, they're the ones that want it to do everything right from every place, right off the tee, off the turf. So yeah, when we designed the four to forty product, we looked at where do people even use their faraway woods. We have a great partnership with our cost a ton of data that we looked at for real consumers using our products and just jet farowoods in general, and found it's highly correlated to how far do you hit your driver as to where you're gonna use your faroywood right. So if you're a consumer, I think this is the approximate averages. If you hit your driver two hundred yards, you're gonna hit your fhareowood off the T twenty percent of the time. You're probably can hit driver everywhere you can right because you need the length off the tee. If you're someone who hits their driver three hundred yards, you're gonna hit your Ferareo off the T eighty percent of the time. You're gonna be using it as a positional club every now and then you'll hit it into a par five, but mostly positional off the tee. So when we looked at designing our product, we wanted to combine who is going to be using each specific model with where do we think they're going to play it right. So LST consumer probably is that person hitting three hundred yard drives plus right, So we designed the face on the LST to be the tallest of the trio to allow them to hit off the tea a little with a little bit more confidence, whereas the SFT is we'd assume is the consumer that needs help right. They need more distance, they need the ball to turn over, get in the air and turn over. We think that person is going to hit their driver two hundred yards right closer to the bottom end of the spectrum. So we thought, you know what, we should make that fairwood shallow, keep it low to the ground to help the ball get in the air. So we're really trying to tailor the designs and the MAX.
Speaker 1: It's somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: So if we're looking at the face height gradient, the LST's gonna be the tallest. MAX is moderate SFT. We're trying to keep really shallow.
Speaker 2: Marty. I mean that was the thing that sit out to me right out of the bat. And the first fairrywood I hit with four forty was the five wood, and I was shocked how tall the LST was. And for me, that's great. I'm a little steper with Fairwoods'm a little seper in general with my golf swing. I loved how tall that wood was because I felt like I could hit it off the turf and really kind of still smash it if I needed to. But you know, I'm a guy that's gonna hit a lot of fairywoods off teas and that's important. You get a little you get tee it up. You can actually kind of squeeze one out there. So I was very impressed with, like, you know, again the tallness of lst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was something that we've seen from some of our tour players. Kind of a swing character. You tend to want to hit down on it a little bit, squeeze it out there. I mean Louis us stays and was one of our guys for a long time, played the G five super I.
Speaker 2: Get my swing gets off to Louis all the time, So thanks for doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like Louis, you know, Hunter mayhon back in the day like the deep face fairy wood, but Travis making the face deeper it doesn't come without a cost, right, Like if you try to make the face taller, your Cg's going up and you're is a designer to be like never doing that, right? So what did we do to counteract that with the four to forty?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have fought for so long to get higher launch, lower spin farm Faiywood. So you see over the transition from G five days to where we're at with G four to thirty. We've made our faces shallower and shallower and shallower, trying to achieve lower and lower CG. So the ball gets in the air with four to forty. The main desire from everyone that uses the product is we want the face to be a little bit taller. We love how it performs off the turf. We just want to hit off the tea a little bit more than we are right now. So growing the face height is just as simple as making the face taller. But when you do that, see goes up. Everything we fought for from four twenty five to four thirty goes away, right, So we want to do that without sacrifice growing the face height. We had to do something else to keep the CG low so Freehau's design is a really big one across the entire Metal Woods family. Driver Farry and Hybrid to help lower the CG remove mass high in the heel, right, So it's removing the mass located in the high heel region. When we remove that mass, we could make the face taller. Basically, one for one every gram we saved in the heel, we made the face taller, so effectively you can deliver a taller face with the same cig height. So to perform the same off the ground, we have a little bit more confidence off the t.
Speaker 1: What about the carbon fly wrap, what purpose does that serve? How much mass are you save in would the carbon fly wrap on the ferry.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, should not be understated. We first introduced carbon fly wrap on the faroywoods back in four thirty. From four twenty five to four thirty is about ten to twelve grams depending on the loft, right, So it's a lot of mass to save from an area. Literally the highest point on the crown we're lowering that mass free hozle on the max and the sfts is about ten grams. So from four twenty five to four to forty, it's about twenty grams of mass we saved from an area is really high on the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we're talking four grams with the driver. I mean this is incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's the difference in a driver you have titanium. It's already really geared towards being lightweight. Faariywoods are steel. They're heavy, but they're strong. That's why we have them. So any gram, any amount of volume, we can remove, and steel is much more efficient in terms of mass saving.
Speaker 2: So, Travis, I've always been a fan of yours, but you went up on my list when the fourwood it really really started to come back just for you forty. I think my favorite pink club I've ever had is a G twenty four wood. I used it for years and years and years. Four wood is back. Why did we bring the forwood back with four forty?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I mean, if you look in the bags of some of our tour players, even the engineers in the office, you'll find a lot of forwoods in four thirty. Right now, they're playing a five wood turned down right from eighteen to sixteen to five with a three wood shaft. It's it's been a club that we have all semi built ourselves. The reason why we want to launch it in four to forty was just to add it as a stock offering. So the three woods fifteen degrees, the four would be seventeen, and we've actually moved the five wood up a little bit to make room, basically space them out a little bit to shove a forward in the middle. So it's going to be a three wood shaft seventeen degrees of loft, and it's really geared towards someone who might need a little bit more help getting the ball in the air. Let's say they don't have enough speed to play a three wood. Three woods are tough to hit for a lot of players, right, so they need just a little bit more loft to get the ball in the air. Or it could be something that is a really good play for our tour staff, someone that wants a positional distance club. These guys hit it three ten, three twenty, right. They don't need to be hitting their fairywood always two eighty five off the tee, so a lot of them will self gravitate towards a higher loft of fairwood to hit a number, right. They want a gap to a specific number, so it should be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also, I mean the fours in the name twice, so you might as well have a four wood is there as well? If it's four foot forward. What are we doing here? I mean, that'd be silly.
Speaker 1: Travis. You talked a lot about players using our trajectory tuning sleeve, which kind of tilts the shaft axis a little so we can change the loft. There's been times where we've designed Fairywood's with the soul a little bit flatter. So if you maybe put in the plus position, the face starts get looking a little closed. Yea. Do we do anything in the four to forty kind of counter that? And can you tell us a little bit about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, I think to your point, we've designed our souls really flat and our face is pretty shallow to chase low CG. Freehau's design has allowed us to rethink how we want to shape that Fairywood. So when you add loft to Fairywood any club, really the face is going to want to shut or rock close.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: For some players, that's great, I think we see. I know, I keep going back to tour, but they're the people that I talk to a lot right now, very sensitive face angle for performance right, anything that sits too open or too closed instantly will not be hit right. We need to find the right loft for that player. When we add loft to a fairrywood, typically it'll shut quite significantly, about one to two degrees for every loft a degree of loft that is added with no ability. On four to thirty, it's great. Cg's super low. When it rocks shut, it's staying there. It's very stable. The RFA, the resting face angle we call it. It's very stable on four thirty to its own demise. When we add loft and the plus big plus small plus positions, it does tend to sit a little close. So on four to forty we decided to remove some of that material, kind of go back to older soul shapings that allow you to rock back open when you do add loft, something that we weren't previously willing to do because we've been chasing low low, low low low CG for so long. But Freehaus's design definitely did allow us to add in that feature.
Speaker 1: So I think for the better player, I think it's like, hey, I get on a part five, Shane, You're trying to hit this big banana cut in there. You go to open the face a lot, the lead edge rises up and you're like, I wish you didn't do that as much. Is it going to do it less with les four forty less?
Speaker 3: Yes, intended to be less, so we really want to unlock. We have trajectory tune sleeves. They're great, right. We have very simple, lightweight, easy use design. We felt like we weren't really harnessing the plus loft settings as much as we could, right, so we saw a lot of people in the five wood turned down to a four wood, right so it'd sit nice and open. We do feel like with the smoother soul design we have on the firewood and the hybrid, it'll allow people to when you add a little bit loft, it'll sit shut. You can rock it back open still keeping the leading edge closer to the ground.
Speaker 2: Travis, The fairway world has changed a lot over the last few years. I mean I think about fairy woods when I was growing up and you had a three wood and maybe you had a five wood, right, the popularity of the seven wood and now nine woods even in bags. Will that be a part of the four to forty family as well?
Speaker 3: For sure? Yes. I think across the market we've seen a big trend of more and more high lofted fairywoods and less hybrids. Like people are finding the transition to fairywood's a little bit more palable. It's a bigger head, a little bit more forgiving, you get a little bit more height, the shaft is longer, so the person that needs help getting the ball in the air is probably actually better suited with a high lofted fairywood. And so that's actually gonna be a big story for us. We added a forwood. We think that fourwood is going to gap really well to a seven wood or a nine wood in the line, depending on your club at speed, in the fitting environment. We can dial it in for you.
Speaker 2: I mean, Marty, it is so funny because you know, when I was growing up, you know, I mean, no, no good player would be seen with a seven wood. Yeah, for goodness sakes, a nine wood was four and anybody that played golf. And now you know you're seeing good players. You're seeing professional golfers using nine woods at times in their bags.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I think it's been great. I mean, I can't understand the importance of things like the spinsistency because to me, it kind of brings to life thin to win, so you like, you can thin it and see you still hit that have that great result. I think on the tour side, you know, we and you can and folks can do this. In the fitting environment. You can play you know, a seven wood with a nine fitted in there and put the nine wood shaft in it tried a little bit shorter if you need to, so you can use the shaft length to kind of dial in the spin. So I think, yeah, we're gonna we're gonna see a lot of three or the four to seven combo. So those are great options in the MAX family. Travis talk a little bit about SFT, the approach to that, what lofts are there, who's that for, and what does it do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the SFT is straight flight technology for those that don't know what the SFT stands for, and it's really geared for someone who needs to help get the ball in the air.
Speaker 1: So it's a little bit more loft.
Speaker 3: So the three would sixteen degrees in the SFT family, so a degree more loft than it's MAX or LST counterpart. And it's really geared towards delivering kind of that rounded shape, confidence, inspiring a little bit bigger overall profile, and like we talked about shallower face, we're trying to keep the cg as low as possible, trying to get the ball in the air. So do we have a three, the five and the seven space sixteen nineteen twenty two, trying to get equal gapping between those three if you do want to add those three to your bag, but really geared towards the person who needs help getting the ball in the air.
Speaker 2: Marty Dara, ask you what's in your bag right now? In terms of the four forty fairly woods. I'm always I'm always a little scared. Sometimes they ask what you got going?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I've typically been a five wood player, but I've played it in the minus position, either either big minus or small minus, perfect five, perfect four wood for me?
Speaker 2: Well do you s? Yeah?
Speaker 1: At forty two inches? Okay, forty two inches, So it's a little short. It's it's a it's an inch short. It's a half inch short of a five wood and one inch short of standard. But that's what I've played my five wood aut I've played my five wood at forty two, which is traditionally minus a half in a four wood, it's it's minus one inch.
Speaker 2: Always seen I'll say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The bag of Marty Jerts and Travis we talked about the lofted woods, but hybrid's a big part of four to forty as well. What should people expect with the hybrids with four to forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hybrid's kind of similar story. We looked at when we first designed this product.
Speaker 1: Who uses our hybrids?
Speaker 3: Okay, we looked at all this arco state on farirywood, where do people hit them? But with hybrids, we really wanted to know who is this consumer and so we actually went no further than what I who I think are the best hybrid players in the world. LPGA Tour Yep, Yeah, there is a staggering number of ping staff players on the LPGA tour. That player four hybrid, that player five hybrid. So we asked them what do you need? What do you want out of your bag? And with hybrids, they just want more height, more stopping power. This is a club that is being used to gap between their irons and their ferrywoods. It's replacing a long iron, so they need height. And so with four thirty, we felt like we do really well, our hybrids do really well in the marketplace and on tour. If we could layer on adding a little bit of height while keeping our distance, that we have right now, it'd be a big win, which is why we explored free howe design. Right, it's the same technology trying to lower CG in every which way we can, so free housel design takes mass out of the high heel. We shorten the face height too, trying to lower the face height. Like I talked about the farrywoods, we're trying to lower the CG. Lowering the face height allow us to go a little thinner, so we save a ton of masks from the face the hozzle. What we really were able to do with the really low CG was add more loft without having excess spin right eight or losing ball speed, so it launches higher due the extra loft, but still maintains a ball speed and spin of a club that has a degree less loft. So we're able to achieve a little bit peak higher peak height the same carry distance, if not a little bit more in our testing.
Speaker 2: So an LPGA player might use a hybrid on a long par three or maybe a second shot into a par five. When you look at Arco Stata for maybe an average player that has a few hybrids in the bag, where are they using those.
Speaker 3: Clubs similar I think if you look at average club HD speed on LPG Tour, the driver average club at speed is around ninety five miles an hour. If I look at the average of every ping fitting we've ever given, I think it's around eighty five. So it's not that far apart from each other. So we have assumed a lot of the places the LPGA Tour player will use their clubs our G consumers are going to be well suited in those places as well, so we would see the kind of the same trends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Shane. One thing really fun with the four forty hybrid is we have when we first sit down to design the product, Travis's team on the design side, my team on the fitting side will kind of put our brains together and be like if we could wave a magic wand what could we do. And we went into the four forty, it was like, we want the iron peak height to be here. We went the Fairwoods to be here, and we went the hybrids exactly in the middle fifty percent right, because with the four thirty, we are seeing the hybrids be more thirty percent higher than the irons as opposed to right in the middle. And when we did our final product validation, spot bang on. The hybrids go right in between the fairy woods and the long iron, so the fitting is phenomenal. Now you get these perfect three perfect options. You know, if you're starting to lose height. This is what drives all the algorithms and the gapping app which I know you've used, we talked about in Pink co Pilot. So I love that the hybrids go that much higher without going.
Speaker 2: Shorter, same distance, if not a little bit more in some.
Speaker 1: Loss because they have to keep up with the iron. So talk about that, Travis. What we do. The hybrids need to talk to the irons. It's not like the hybrid designers over there in a box, right, we're all we.
Speaker 2: All sit next to each other. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we've made some really great advancements with four to forty long irons and four to forty I think we're quoting the five iron for certain consumers could go four to five yards longer than four to thirty. So when we're looking at gapping between an iron that already is better performing than where we're at today to fairrywoods that we think think are more versatile and have better fitting options and have increased distance from where we're at today, we need that hybrid to do the heavy lifting as well, So I think it is a true testament. Adding more loft without losing distance helps us get those peak height trajectory differences. So if someone can't get the five roun in the air, which we know are a lot of people, four irons are very hard to get in the air for a lot of people, we think we have really good options to give a little bit more heightened the hybrid. And if you still have hard time getting the hybrid in the air, we make really good high lofted ferrywoods, right, So it's all about fitting copilot. The Gaping app is really good.
Speaker 2: For that, Marty. I think about you know, the average golfer out there listening to the podcast and hearing all this and wondering what goes in my bag? Right, because there are so many options. I mean, you can get fit, obviously, and we preach that a lot, but how important is it to lean into something like the Gaping app and just lean into a place where you can type in your numbers and where you play and how your game kind of fits maybe the equipment that's coming up, and how do you pick between a hybrid and a seven wood or you know something like that. I mean, where do the golfers go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the actionable takeaway for the for the listener out there. Number one. If you haven't done a gap fitting, go on to webfit webfit dot ping dot com logins. You don't even put launch condition numbers in there. We just kind of ask you some qualitative, easy to answer questions a couple minutes in there, and it builds your bag. It gives you kind of conceptual framework, not intended to replace an actual dynamic fitting on a launch monitor, but it's really fun to go there. It's kind of like your practice round for your club fitting. Then go to or find a fitter tool on ping dot com and we have a little filter in there that says, hey, I use copilot. Go see a fitter that uses copilot. You're gonna love going on the gaping app because it'll break down. You go, you go hit seven irons. The fitter is going to put your launch condition numbers in and the gapping app will predict pretty creepily accurate. You know where in your irons are you going to start losing peak height? We have great algorithms there and there that says, hey, your longest sirn should be a six iron or seven iron or five iron. Then what hybrids do you play? What fairwoods do you play? And all this product testing that we've done to validate these designs is driving all that. So you really do get access to the same tools and testing that we've done right here at the proving grounds.
Speaker 2: Travis, I love to ask Marty about the bag, but I know the four wood is kind of your baby. Is a fourwood in your bag right now?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is for sure? I mean you can't you can't say away, no, why would you? That would be so silly. I mean, I'm probably gonna lean back in the four wood world. I've been seven wood for a while, Marty, but I think I I might, I might go back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about Travis, Let's talk a little bit about the LST Fairywood. Yeah, what goes into the LST? Who's it? Four? Do we add anything new there this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So we did.
Speaker 3: We obviously talked about the face high changes, right, We're trying to gear that club for someone who wants to hit it more off the te big things. We have a new face material. HST two twenty is the strongest tightening we've used in a product to date, which allows us to make the face taller and thinner. It's hot. In our testing we're seeing with some of our elite players, we're seeing over a mone hour more ball speed compared to four to thirty LST, which we think is one of the fastest fairy woods out there. So we're layering on more speed carbon fly rap so free hozzle, it's not going anywhere, it's there on Across all of our metal woods we have free hozzle, carbon fly rap are taller HST two twenty face wrap design, and all of that leads us with a lot of mass savings that we put into our tungsten soule plate. Basically every gram we say from the design, we put as low as humanly possible in the club to drive that CG down.
Speaker 1: So how much weights in the soule play right there? Eighty five.
Speaker 3: At so we actually so we have the three LST, which we've added a ton of new playability too, and we also added the five l ST. I think it's been a desire to get a club that has nineteen degrees of loft, gets to the ball in the air, but doesn't spin excessively right, So compared to the max. It should spin four to five hundred rpm lower than the equitable max Fairrywood five five Max Fairrywood. So it's gonna be good. It's another fitting option, right, you love those?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a lot of fitting options, a lot of clubs options.
Speaker 2: Travisa, I'd say you did as good as that sweater looks. I mean, that's a good looking ping sweater you go today. We appreciate, obviously the insight into four forty and uh, the work you put into it. Like I said, I've been a forwood guy most of my life and I'm excited to get back into its true forward. By the way, I know there's been some quote unquote forwards in the King family, but having the actual four on the head is going to be cool. This is the Ping Proun Grounds Podcast