Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You Dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission Listen CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build.
Speaker 2: It our number two high a top, Chucknofield here on the campus of Saint Vincent College, Jeweler and Williamson rolling along here. We've got some I did have to give a shout out at some point on the show here today, Matt as I'm sure they're listening right now as they drive back across Pennsylvania to Columbus, Ohio. The DeSantis family some of my favorite people to see here every year, and Matt Mama DeSantis, Marty I think she left us about seven hundred cookies for all of us here on the steam. So good, so good. I met the DeSantis family cool seven eight years ago through Wolf. Wolf was connected with them, and so every summer now they stop. They still stop up and say hello, come from Columbus every single year and uh and always always have some goodies.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I've gotten a bunch of cookies in the past. I've gotten t shirts and all kinds of cool stuff. So always good to see the Desanta's family and thanks for the cookies.
Speaker 3: Road trip from Columbus it's about four hours, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: About four hours. I think what they do is they I think they came up last night, stay in a hotel, then drive, yeah, drive home after the practice today. But we were laughing to you'll get a kick out of this, the uh calvers that we always stop at. Oh yeah, on the way to and from the combine. They were like, that's like ten minutes from our house. You go to the one that's like right by the olive garden in the hotel.
Speaker 3: Right yeah, we go up at the shelf station and right have a shell station right there.
Speaker 2: Get back, get back on what is it seventy right, don't I think it's I seventy that we take basically.
Speaker 3: The whole on one of my many blind spots in this world. I don't know streets, and.
Speaker 2: I'm real bad with that too. It's like the streets that I grew up on my whole life. I'm like, wait, which one is that?
Speaker 3: It's funny? Don't tell ed, but he asked. He's like, oh, so you take seventy forty three to seventy here? And I'm like yeah, And I didn't pay any attention to it today. I actually looked. I'm like, do I take forty three to seventy here? I'm like, I actually do, but I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the way.
Speaker 3: Ways tell me make it right, you know, right.
Speaker 2: At least I'm kind of like a GPS kid, although to be fair, I still had to use map Quest and stuff like that until I was in like college. Yeah. Once you've had ways and all that stuff for a decade, it's.
Speaker 3: And I've made this for a million times. I know the way I go. I put ways in just in case there's like an accident or something or yeah, right, I don't know what, Yeah, do you take me? You know?
Speaker 2: I think I'm so so I'm so bad with street names and stuff like that too. Just I know where I'm like, I have a great sense.
Speaker 3: Of direction, and I'm not bad about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, been somewhere once, I'll remember how to get there and have to ground.
Speaker 3: But it's usually because of like landmarks and things. Right exact like I made a left on Second Avenue right and.
Speaker 2: Turned on to Bates mad An exercise that we got into last week, I'd like to pick up here at the start of this hour. It's something you and Dale used to do where you would basically go go position by position group across the roster, and how do you feel about this position group three hundred and sixty five days later as to where you were last.
Speaker 3: Year at this time we did again. You got to be honest with yourself and you have to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the John new Smith one that you laid out about it. It was a perfect example, and I'm sure we'll bring that up again whenever we do tight ends.
Speaker 3: We did, like when we get the running backs. I wasn't super excited about game well, but he was really really good.
Speaker 2: You know, we did quarterbacks and wide receivers last week. We also did corner back in safeties. I want to start in an interesting one with you because it's interesting in the sense of there really hasn't been much change unless you're looking at the very bottom of the depth chart, and that's the off ball linebacker position.
Speaker 3: I've been really stressing this since we talked to Chris.
Speaker 2: The one unit that hasn't changed, including.
Speaker 3: It hasn't changed one bit. Yeah, I mean it's exactly the same. Has of our thoughts changed, Yes, they have to have. I mean, if you write an evaluation for even the best of players, it's not the same every year, you know what I mean, correct or the worst of players. You don't just cut and paste, you know, after seventeen games of knowledge. But they are the exact same human beings in that room. I mean of the top five. Yeah, I'm not talking about the guys that have basically no chance.
Speaker 2: Of the top five. And the position coach too.
Speaker 3: Now, I bet Scott Scott McCurley is the off ball linebacker coach would have been if he's a defensive end coach, defense tackle safety coach. I bet he would have been retained. Scott and I actually gad together a pit way back when and he was a linebacker my first year there, and his brother was on the team. Great dude, but I know him and McCarthy have a very extensive history together. Not knowing they were going to overlap in his second year as linebacker coach, but it worked out well. But he was only one of two, along with Tom Arth who was retained. Yes, but the exact same room was retained, And where we talked a lot about with Chris and I've been really been on my cranium quite a bit, is to me the front office thinks the problems in that room weren't the players.
Speaker 2: That's probably a very fair, I think takeaway, because if they thought it was the players, there at least would have been some overturn, some change there.
Speaker 3: Now, there might have been a case where they had a second round grade on a linebacker and he's sitting there in the fourth They would have taken them, of course, you know. But it's rare to run those same room back year after year, especially because it wasn't awesome. Especially it wasn't ham Lamb coaching a yeah right right, and there's a new defense and a new defense you know scheme. So I think the again, no one's told me this the front office must be more excited about that group than the results last year, you know what I mean? That would make sense, But I don't know what I thought of him this year compared to last.
Speaker 2: I think last year I had more optimism for this group than I do now.
Speaker 3: I think so too. That doesn't especially Queen, not that he's bad.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, That doesn't mean that I.
Speaker 3: Think he was Actua. Queen was new coming heck of a season in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Awesome season in Baltimore. Yeah, Peyton Wilson was entering year two right where you always like to see that sophomore leap that we talk about.
Speaker 3: And I think he's progressively gotten better, But I thought he'd be progressively gotten more better, you know what I mean. His steps have been fine, but I thought they'd be larger steps at this stage of his career.
Speaker 2: Yes, I thought Patrick Queen would be one of the more regarded off ball linebackers in the NFL. Not Fred Warner's status, No, no, no, maybe in that next group down. And yeah, I thought Peyton Wilson.
Speaker 3: Would have maybe he'd go to the Pro Bowl last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right. And I thought we could be talking about Peyton Wilson is one of the more unique and athletic off ball linebackers in the NFL. Not that those guys stink those not that those guys were disasters, nothing like that.
Speaker 3: And there were some scheme things that hurt them.
Speaker 2: There were, There were, absolutely were, and I'm glad you point that.
Speaker 3: Out, and they can sure use to Again, I like Bent and I just don't think he's a nose. There was a lot of times he was driven back into their laps in the run game too, So.
Speaker 2: I would say maybe a slight decrease in expectations, nothing colossal or anything like that. I think you know what you have in Cole Holcom. You you know what you have in Malik Harrison. Carson Bruner is going to be a special teams demon.
Speaker 3: With those tops, my opinion on those three haven't changed at all, not at all. Those are exact same grades.
Speaker 2: And with the top two again, I still expect them to be good and productive and one of the better tandems in the NFL, because, as you lay out for us, often that's not a very strong group around the league.
Speaker 3: No, a lot of teams are just getting by.
Speaker 2: Like I think a lot of teams would certainly trade what they have for for Queen and Willson. Yeah, but that might be the position group that I'm most interested to see under Patrick Graham here in year one.
Speaker 3: Yes, I totally agree. Now again, even though we're on Steers Nation Radio, I don't want everything to be all roses because much of what this league throws at you is challenging and not great. I mean, it's a hard league to succeed. There's certainly a world a year from now, or not a year from now, six months from now where we're saying, man, they might need to find two new starters. Yeah, you know, Queen, Queen's are free eight. This is future stuff. This is not the exercise we're doing. You know, you know Queen's up after this year. He might have an okay or fine year. And you say, not worth the money. Sorry, you're gonna walk on. You move on, get a compic out of it. And you're looking at Wilson at that point. Go and you're basically been here for the extent of your rookie deal. Maybe you're in the mix but not ready to extend you yet. Who knows you might be like and I think we all know Holcomb Harrison and Brunner aren't who you ever want start. I mean, that doesn't really value, but they're again you.
Speaker 2: Don't want them down in and down out plays.
Speaker 3: Right, So this is kind of a critical year for this position too.
Speaker 2: I think it absolutely is. Yeah, could you foresee a scenario where Peyton Wilson play like they let Patrick Queen walk after this year, But it's because Peyton Wilson plays at a level that they.
Speaker 3: Think, maybe.
Speaker 2: Go get somebody else. Then with the third round pick, we can get his understudy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I would think that's extension time though you know, like, Okay, well, boy, Wilson did take that step forward, which I think is possible, especially with a little more help around him. And Okay, we're gonna give you attack a couple of years on your deal, slap that green dot on your helmet, and now you're the mentor you teach a day two pick.
Speaker 2: I could certainly see that being being a scenario.
Speaker 3: And part of that would be success.
Speaker 2: If we get to, like you said, six months ish from now, and you think Peyton Wilson is ready to be the guy in the middle of the defense, that that's a good place to be, regardless regardless of what that would mean for Patrick Queen's but that would be that would be a good place to be, without a doubt.
Speaker 3: The teams often let guys walk that they're happy with. You know, they can't.
Speaker 2: Keep them all and you got to balance their age and and the term and all that stuff and what it's worth. But this one that I've been kind of waiting to have this conversation with you because it's the same group as last year, but there's there's still some some meat on that bone. If I had to guess, though, Matt, I think in the proverbial, you know, six months from now, when it's when it's wintertime and what we're like in the in the playoffs or slash end of the season, I'm hoping that we'll be thinking that the era was pointed up this year and that that's what we expected to get from that group all along.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I do think, by no means in my white writing Queen off at all. I thought he was swimming upstream with a lot of different things. Chris laid some of it out. I don't need to reiterate all of it. I do think he's an impact player. I think he'll blitz more he did miss a lot of tackles, so be it. He also gets to some balls that not every linebacker does.
Speaker 2: Some there's some Shazier esque Uh yeah, a little bit, you know, you see sometimes the miss tackles. But he's also he just gets to the ball on almost every place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more so than maybe Joe average speed guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah right right, So Joe average speed guy wouldn't even have been there to miss a tackle, whereas Queen is just he's all over the place.
Speaker 3: He is, but he's very intense. You can tell that he's beloved by his teammates as well. So and frankly, there was some frustration on his part on his role and not being put in the best position for the defense to succeed.
Speaker 2: I can understand why, Yeah I can. And that again, I mean, Matt, we are we're all so intrigued to kind of, you know, get to Christmas, which will be on September thirteenth, to get at home against the Atlanta Falcons and start unwrapping those gifts, right and seeing what it all looks like under this new coaching staff. Obviously, I'm not gonna lie to you. The offense is very intriguing with McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers and the new and Pittman and Bernard and the mix there. But just in terms of what I think like this coaching staff might be able to do with a position group, those off ball linebackers, those middle linebackers might be at the top of my list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you just the average fan watching in their lazy boy might just feel their presence more. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would hope so, because they better at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it needs to that that feel, which is not scientific or numeric driven or anything like that, it needs to be increased.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it certainly does.
Speaker 2: You need to. That's one of those position groups that you just need to feel. Honestly, you need to know they're out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need to hear them, you need to feel them. And they've They've got some guys.
Speaker 3: New Lambert was out there, was.
Speaker 2: Out there, You knew Ferrier was out there. I don't need them to be Navarro, Bowman and Patrick Willis, no, but they but I need them to. I need them to, uh to take a step forward this year, and I think they certainly.
Speaker 3: Could under this news stats more of an impact.
Speaker 2: Matt, I want to continue this exercise. Will transition to the offensive side of the football. We did quarterbacks, we did wide receivers. You want to do running backs, you want to do tight ends.
Speaker 3: Where you want to go and we see running backs. I teased it with Gainwell, let's do that when we get back.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe we'll lump in a second group, depending on how much time we have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but O line is probably just a long conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh line is going to be a long conversation in this regard. Defensive line and edge rusher might be too, based off of what you've done in those regards. So we'll continue to kind of uh compare and contrast uh certain parts of the roster at this time last year as opposed to where we're at now. As we roll along here in the four o'clock hour, Uller and Williamson, it's the Drive, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown, the Black and Gold score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home mixteriors, fast, reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here on the drive, We're about halfway home on today's three hour show as we put a bow on practice number five for your Pittsburgh Steeler. Another beautiful day here in Unity Township in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, as the sun is shining, just a few clouds in the sky. Another good day of work for the Steelers here, Matt. We got a few people from the grounds crew is always out there doing some stuff, but nothing, honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty uneventful grounds crew day.
Speaker 2: Pretty the field looks pretty good for now. The lines or stiff it had a day off yesterday, so I'm sure they got plenty of stuff done. Then it is crazy though, man like it's it's such a science. It's such an everything. I mean, when you think about it, Matt, everything out here is such an operation. From the fields and the locker rooms and the conditions and all the stuff for the players, all the equipment that's needed to run practices, the stuff in the weight room, the trainers, the cafeteria, all that stuff. They bring a whole Steelers Pro shop out here and set up a massive tent like it's a you know, graduation party or a wedding or something, the big tent for everybody to to to go shopping and hang out with all the stuff. So it is how much easier.
Speaker 3: It would be to stay in the South side and just don't let fans come and just don't even send eighteen wheelers out here full of weights and heavy stuff and workout equipment and medical supplies and tackling dummies and water, food and the massive ordeal.
Speaker 2: It's a massive ordeal. And you're I'm glad you mentioned those eighteen wheelers. We always see like the last day or two of training camp, you can see him starting to congregate up and the like. All the eighteen wheelers come back and they park at the back of the parking lot up there on the top of campus to get ready for that first day when everything's over when they start packing this up like our I mean our guy, our guy TV Tyler V of course loyal listeners of that drive. No, he's our video producer when we're back in studios.
Speaker 3: And we'll be back at that soon, folks, We sure will. We sure will.
Speaker 2: About two weeks or so. Him and you know, all the video crew they get out here like a week ahead of.
Speaker 3: Time, well ahead of us.
Speaker 2: Well, they get out here a week before everybody else because they have to set up all their different sets and studios and cameras and have a lot of rooms and all the stuff to do, you know, player photos and videos and intro stuff and all that media day stuff.
Speaker 3: And that's just one phase that we're close to it. Imagine if it was the equipment guy or you know, the people that are setting up the weight rooms and you're probably too young. But not that it's you know, better or worse. But in the corner of the far far end zone used to be a huge tent where they would just pump iron if they wanted afterwards, like James Harrison would go in there and just throw out, you know, just start rapping.
Speaker 2: You mean weights, not Iron City, No.
Speaker 3: I'm talking like old school like free weights. You know, you just heard clanking and ra you know, I think that goes back to like Lambert.
Speaker 2: All that does. Yeah, they set up a little tent and a bunch of bunch of.
Speaker 3: Weights and basic stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those guys would go in there and pump some iron while you know, when practice was over and all that stuff. Yeah, it's it's a heck of an operation that takes takes hundreds, if not thousands of people to stay on the same page. And you're right, it would be a lot easier, probably even be a lot cheaper.
Speaker 3: To oh probably. Yeah, leave everything where it's at.
Speaker 2: Leave everything where it's at, stay at the south side and do it there. But that's what makes this one of the coolest and the most unique settings. Heck, not just in football training camps, Matt, but I imagine in any training camp and any sport across the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely think that's true. And the tradition of it all and oh, by the way, the success that the organization has had in terms of Super Bowls and playoffs and things like that too, doesn't hurt. I mean, if you came out here every year and you were the Browns and like care right.
Speaker 2: This isn't getting us anywhere, right, So I was just thinking.
Speaker 3: About it though. We're talking about all those eighteen wheelers. At least Tyler and the video crew and all the eighteen wheeler people. I can semi take their time. They know when everyone's arriving. If you get out here four days ahead, five days ahead. But when you gotta get it all.
Speaker 2: Back there, dude, that's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: That has to happen like overnight, I would think. I mean in terms of we can't just go a week without weights or tackling dummies or you know, heads and things like that. I know it's taking a while to get out there. It's a big project, but we're just yeah, we just won't lift this week. You know that's not going to cut it.
Speaker 2: Hey, you guys need to you guys need to hurry this up here, all right, get us back on track.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that must be the stressful part, is moving from here back to the south Side.
Speaker 2: That would make a ton of sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the way they line it up is that all happens around a preseason game. So like the players, players have a day off, so it gives them a little extra time to get everything back and set up.
Speaker 3: But still but still you don't get four or five days that pull it off.
Speaker 2: You don't get four or five days to pull it off.
Speaker 3: And you know it's and plus as you know better than I do, because you're part of the road team, the game day team for any game, including preseason, they have to send an eighteen wheeler in advanced you know, to so there's a lot more to it. You know. All that stuff you see on the sideline doesn't go into plane.
Speaker 2: No, it does not. Less like if we're playing in California or something like that, it's possible, right, yes, yeah, if we're across the country.
Speaker 3: As opposed to eighteen wheeler, and.
Speaker 2: Its exactly right. But for the most part, we are eighteen wheeler in it, unless you know we're in La or Seattle or Dublin or Paris, of course true, but it's you know, and even that like that's that's I think that's a big part of the reason why we had a charter two planes to Dublin last year, not just because all the extra people that were going.
Speaker 3: Right right, but like I didn't go to I mean, I'm one of many that don't usually go that went it went right, but I also had to put stuff in the bowels of the plane.
Speaker 2: Especially when you're going to be practicing there for a few days, not just kind of in and out for a game. You know, normally, at least when we fly out on Saturday, you're not breaking practicing.
Speaker 3: Right right right, right right right, all the game day stuff.
Speaker 2: Just to walk through in the ballroom. And that's about it.
Speaker 3: Do you know the answer to this? I bet the answer. I bet? I think I know. You know, like whenever you play in December, let's say you're playing Green Bay or somewhere colds yeah, it doesn't matter. And the benches, you know, they have like you can hang your helmet on to dry them and warm them and all that stuff, the white benches. Do the Steelers have to supply their own or does every team?
Speaker 2: Good question?
Speaker 3: The uniform across.
Speaker 2: A really good question.
Speaker 3: Guessing you don't have to bring your own.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing there's probably uniform across the league.
Speaker 3: Like if Arizona comes here, they don't need to, We'll give you out.
Speaker 2: I would, I would think so. But I also then it makes me think, you know, would you if you were going to New England for a playoff game in January. Trust the Patriots benches to work, I wouldn't. I'm bringing my own.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, if I have to service one or the other, it's going to be the home teams, you know, like this one's got a crack in it that stabs here.
Speaker 2: If we're going to if we're going to Arizona, I bet you their air conditioners work. I ain't trusting the Patriots to have the stuff working.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just wondering what big things they had to carry.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. That's uh, that's we are efforting to get someone from the grounds crew on the on the program here at some point for a few minutes. I'll have to catch up with with Kyle or one of the equipment guys and ask them about some of that stuff and report back to you. But Matt, let's continue with our exercise here. Yes, comparing different position groups across the roster from beginning of August now twenty twenty six to this time last year, what do you say we go to running backs on the offensive side of the football. Is it fair to say I think Jalen Warren is about the same.
Speaker 3: I would just say I think I feel exactly the same about him. I've adored him since day one, really, when before he even got super well acclimated, I thought he was one of the most underrated players of this offense pretty much the day he stepped on this field, and certainly the day he made the team for good basically really good year. But that was my expectations.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The thing that he showed, which I don't think was the plan, was he could be your big back, because he'd always been. We've had this conversation. I think he's the line of demarcation. If you're bigger than him, you're a big back. If you're swallowing him, you're a small back. And that's kind of the beauty of him. He could be either. But I think that's why they replaced gain Well with doubt role, because they don't want him to be your biggest hammer on the team that was supposed to be Caleb Johnson. So I think Warren is a wash. I think you just like take him. I haven't done math in a long time, but you know, like how you can like scratch off this side and scratch off that side to make it all to find the common denominators or whatever, like Okay, that he's just out of the equation. So you're basically saying Caleb today versus Caleb then, which I think we know that answer, gain well then versus Rico. Now sprinkle in a little of Travis Homer too. Yes, there was then We're not missing anybody from last year of I mean, there were the dudes that like couldn't quite make the team, remember the Ohio State sermon, And yeah, but no, I'm just counting.
Speaker 2: I didn't really three because you were fortunate. Yeah you missed Warren for what two games I think it was, But other than that, you had a relatively healthy room last year, so you didn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, but I'm not talking about the undrafted dudes, and yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, just the guys that are going to see the field.
Speaker 3: When we get too likely to make the team.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I think it's I think it's kind of a stalemate with Jalen Warren from yeah year, I think you know what he is, you love what he is, and he's hopefully going to continue to be that guy for a few more years. For you, Caleb Johnson, you have to say that your expectations for him now are less than they were being a third round rookie.
Speaker 3: Last year unfortunately drastically different.
Speaker 2: Drastically I'm not sure. It's like, yeah, can he make the team carve out a role? And maybe that's a little unfair to him, especially in a year that we barely saw him and everyone judges him off of that one special team's gaff. And yes, it was horrendous. That can't happen, but it's also one bad play for a rookie on specialties.
Speaker 3: You know. I also think he was drafted for last year's system.
Speaker 2: He certainly was. He certainly was. And that kind of again alludes to something you talk about all the time, just how fast this league.
Speaker 3: Moves, especially at that position.
Speaker 2: I don't that's a great call. That's a great call. So you're right. I think this.
Speaker 3: I think he'll be in the league, and I think maybe you could even get a six or seventh round pick for him if you put some decent uh tape out there. He may even still be a good NFL player for the Steelers. But it's now uncertain time.
Speaker 2: It certainly is. I think a lot of we're in this booth.
Speaker 3: Like one year ago, and I thought I remember saying somewhere that I bet Johnson is a Steelers leading rusher from the mid point of the season till the end of the season. That didn't happen.
Speaker 2: He didn't even have a carry from the middle at the end of the season. So I think this all comes and and I guess, Matt, we could, you know, we could throw someone like Eli Hyde and Rake into this conversation, but I guess I really think it just comes down to those big three and Warren and Dowdell and Johnson. Warren is what he is.
Speaker 3: I guess Hide and Rake and Homer are better than the guys they had last year that are fringe issue.
Speaker 2: I think, so, yeah, you're more confident in them than the you know, the Trey Sermons and the Lou Nichols and those guys.
Speaker 3: Homer's NFL player. You can pick up a Blitz. He's decent and as a route runner and as a receiver, and he can play teams.
Speaker 2: So if we're same on Jayalen Warren, we're down on Caleb Johnson, we're a little bit higher on the depth pieces. I guess this really comes down to how you feel about Rico Dowdle today versus how we thought about Kenneth Gainwell this time last.
Speaker 3: Year And I liked out on much more, much more again.
Speaker 2: Yeah well, not just more much more.
Speaker 3: Than I did then.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I remember, you have to put yourself in the right in the the frame of mind that you were in three hundred and sixty five ish days ago.
Speaker 3: Because my frame of mind then was Warren's a rock great love him, okay, but eventually his workload's gonna sore to give way to Caleb, and Caleb's going to be your early down guy, and Warren will be the third down. Okay. Gainwell is probably gonna be your kick returner. I bet he plays eight snaps a game. So I like Gainwell, but I didn't think he'd be the team mvv let alone, you know, an impact player like I didn't have him on my fantasy list, you know, like it's like, oh, I know, he's a nice third that you can sprinkle in there. And I've always respected his game, even the Dublin game when yeah, I thought, boy, this might be Caleb's coming out party. I remember on the pregame show saying I doubt they trust Gainwell to do it all. So my thoughts on Gainwell have drastically gone up where I thought he was a three out of ten or a four out of ten. Now I think he's a six. Sure, you know you.
Speaker 2: Needed him in Doublin, you need him in Detroit. You would have won those games without him.
Speaker 3: So I like this version. I like Dowbdle now a lot more than I like Gainwell then, but I like Caleb a lot less. So it's kind of like a time wash. Yeah, but maybe the Homer hide and Reich sprinkle on top is maybe slight edge.
Speaker 2: But yeah, man, I this I'm very excited about Rico Dawdle. I know he's got the I know he's got the experience with Mike McCarthy. He's a little bit bigger of a back than Jalen Warre, and he's got a track record of success in this league.
Speaker 3: He's put up a lot of yards over the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Right, some of the some of the past protection stuff worries me a little bit, though, with a with a you know, no longer young and spry, Aaron Rodgers, who's not his mobile as he once was.
Speaker 3: Heck, and Rogers is not going to tolerate a running back that doesn't It doesn't do that well.
Speaker 2: Correct, it's just not correct. I mean that bend it either, I mean, and so that to me is just, Hey, the offensive line, if they're good enough and all that you can certainly there's a reason that you know, Rigo Dawdle just didn't suddenly struggle in pass protection and he's managed to carve out a nice career for himself. But that's the big X factor in all this. For me, I think I would I think I'm with you. I think I would give this year's group the slight edge because I don't think anyone was quite as high on Kenneth Gainwell as he ended up performing, and certainly no one was predicting him to be Team MVP, and we were wrong August of twenty twenty five, but we were wrong. But I certainly think there's a higher ceiling with Rico than there was with Kenneth Gainwell. Is Kenoth Gangewell was last year all phases, all phases of the game. Feels again, not by leaps and bounds, but just a little bit higher of a ceiling and one that can I think, really work well behind this offensive line.
Speaker 3: But let's also not forget that this quarterback at this stage of his career, frankly, for better or worse throws the backs a lot and game Weell was really good at that part. He wasn't really good. And he's definitely the best route runner of anyone we've mentioned those segments or you know, definitely the best receiving back, and Warren's a great receiving back. But Gamewell can line up in the slot and do some things for you and run some receiver routes here and there, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's it's gonna be that that room's going to be interesting. Who kind of gets the real first crack at it. Is there a clear RB one and RB two? Is it a tandem between those two? How does that evolve and play out throughout the course of the season. Those are all things that we'll start keeping an eye on here real soon.
Speaker 3: I do think this organization, and you notice I don't say coaching staff compared to last year's doesn't want to keep Warring on a pitch count. But I also think that they don't know that he can just totally it be a total workhorse.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know, I think there's a middle ground there. Yeah, yeah, there certainly.
Speaker 3: Is very useful, but there's a compliment.
Speaker 2: There's not many guys left in the NFL that can just be the best cow workhorse anymore. Very few, very very few. And uh and I think there could be a nice tand in between those two and that could end up being a real strength of this offense. And uh and we'll wait and see. You know what, though, we always joke about like hurrying up and get into the preseason game and then okay, it's a little anti climactic. There's gonna be a lot of eyes on Caleb Johnson when that when that first preseason game rolls around here in about ten days. And yeah, he better, uh, he better do a little something to to turn some heads and and carve out a role.
Speaker 3: A lot of press him right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there certainly is as looks like we've got some planes flying above here. Matt Williamson, Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I assume they'll come down for a walk through sort of into.
Speaker 2: I would think so, we would think so. I don't know if maybe they would call that off because it was the first day in pads, Matt, I wouldn't. I wouldn't imagine. So maybe as we've got some we got a plane getting ready to land over there at Arnold Palmer across the across the road. It is funny. I can always you can always tell when we're sitting here this time of day. You can always tell when there's a plane coming in because you see the shadow. I don't know if you saw me. I can see the shaft of it on the field before it starts coming over.
Speaker 3: Top of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right, exactly right. Let's get to our last break here of the second hour. We're going to start the five o'clock hour with your tweets, so make sure you're keeping those rolling in. We've gotten a few already. We will hit those when we kick off the bonus hour. West Shuoler and Matt Williamson. Another day of coverage here on the campus of Saint Vincent College High A high A top part of me, Chuck Nollfield, It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverry Chop Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging in Traffic Control, Making traffic safe again. Call four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx. The new power move independence health system expert care here. Remax Select Realty visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and draft House.
Speaker 2: Growing along here on the campus Saint Vincent College. Of course, it is the drive all high atop Chuck noll Field on another beautiful day here in the Laurel.
Speaker 3: Valley, Laurelig knock on wood. But the weather, dude, oh, it usually is way more ball little than this.
Speaker 2: I used to love them. We would say knock on wood, and Wolf would knock on, knock on his head. You're right, this is hey, knock on wood. Fingers crossed. But so far, so good. It's uh, it's been a it's been about his ideal of a weather here at the training camp. You can hope for a little bit of rain at one point, but other than that, it's been sonny, not too it's been it's been nice and sonny but not too hot. At the same time, you haven't had any of those like deathly you know, ninety four degree days out here with the humidity cranking. We've been able to see the mountains across the field here the whole time, which according to Touch and Wolf, that was the tell, Like you could see the mountains, it's gonna be a good day. If you can't, well, you might be in trouble, might be humid and nasty out here, Matt. In the last segment here, we got a few minutes I wanted to go through, and we spent some time today talking about the Steelers off ball linebackers. Another one of our Jeremy Fowler Top ten lists.
Speaker 3: Oh, we haven't touched on this one all from.
Speaker 2: Executives around the league. We've got still a couple of these to do that we'll get to over the coming weeks when we have time. Top ten off ball linebackers in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Now, I have seen this list. It's a good one, but I don't think it would be as blow your doors off as it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Certainly especially at the top, maybe even ten to fifteen years yah, yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, I'm with you on that. We start with the honorable mentions as always Quay Walker of the Raiders, Da Marion Overshown of the Cowboys, Patrick Queen of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and to Mario Davis of the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean Davis has had a phenomenal career, great career at kind of twilight, but he's aging slowly. The fact that Queen there doesn't surprise me. I mean again, that's about where this linebacker room is at. As we've mentioned, Overshown's a nice player, he's just coming off a massive injury and hard to keep on the field.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Number ten on this list Matt new recipient of a of a pretty nice contract with the Carolina Panthers. It's Devin Lloyd, the former Jacksonville Jacks. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I may even have him higher. Long, super productive, had an awesome year. I guess doing it in a new environment would be, you know, solidify him as a strong tier two player. But I think he's here to stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that. Twenty seven years old, maybe kind of right, hitting the prime of his career. Yeah, a lot of fun to watch. Number nine Edrin Cooper of the Green Bay Packer.
Speaker 3: That's one of my favors.
Speaker 2: He was ranked as high as four by some scouts and executives. Twenty five year old was unranked on this list last year, his first appearance at number nine this year.
Speaker 3: So a lot of mistakes are made, you know, going after traits and speed and size and combine numbers at this position. You know, I hate the term instincts, but if you're not very instinctual.
Speaker 2: Then a great White shark is instinctual.
Speaker 3: You just run fast in the wrong direction. But Cooper is one of these guys that he kind of played that overhang position in college where he wasn't just a true stackbacker. But he's super explosive. He does have all the athletic traits and now he's starting to round the whole thing into shape. He could be two on this list next year.
Speaker 2: And understand, I was just I was just gonna ask you, is he one of those guys that could be you know? He towards the top in a year from now number eight. Nick Bolton of the Kansas City Chiefs. He was ranked fourth on this list last year. Matt he drops down at number eight this year. Twenty six years old.
Speaker 3: He's kind of the opposite where he isn't the great tester he is in his long and pretty Cooper a little bit more of a stumpy or sawed off guy. But he was great in college, productive everywhere he went. Came in the league and was productive and just like he's a double lead off double Yeah you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what one AFC scout said. His speed and coverage is just average, which caps him a little bit, but he's got instincts, toughness and production.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, you know what you're getting every Sunday, which is goes a long way.
Speaker 2: McDonald's number one. Right, what have you ever heard that before?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I know what you're getting at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a Mike Tomlin thing that motes used to bring up a lot. I want to know what I'm getting every Sunday. McDonald's number one.
Speaker 3: Well, it's the beauty of McDonald's. A big Max here is the same as a big Mac in El Paso or China.
Speaker 2: You know, right, it's uh, you know, I was I was telling you, Uh, my wife and I finally started watching season five of The Bear last night. Yes, we got four episodes in, and there's that joke at the beginning mcgridll and they're like The consistency of McDonald's man like state to state, city to city.
Speaker 3: Town is pretty remarkable, right.
Speaker 2: It tastes the same no matter where you go.
Speaker 3: You know exactly what you're getting when you pull it.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it's good to have those kind of football players. Yeah, it doesn't matter if you are.
Speaker 3: In you know, it's on a five star Michigan Michegan Burger. But you know what you're getting.
Speaker 2: Hey, whether you're in Pittsburgh or Baltimore, or Texas or California or Kansas.
Speaker 3: City, you know what you're getting exactly.
Speaker 2: There something to be said for that, certainly. Number seven on the list is Jordan Brooks of the Miami Dolphins. Was unranked on this list last year, checks in at number seven this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, poor guy just doesn't get recognition because there's nothing around and it's gonna be a long year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think they extended him just the last couple of weeks. I thought he could be a trade candidate. I'm not one hundred percent sure. He's had a pretty darn good career and never gets talked about in that light.
Speaker 2: Oh he does not. Still some rumors that the Cowboys are are interested in But I do think he signed a contract extension. Uh he did three years, fifty one million dollars.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he's staying number.
Speaker 2: Six as he's el Shi year of the Houston Texans. He was unranked on this list last year as well. He's number six this year. Twenty eight years old.
Speaker 3: What was it two segments ago or whatever we were talking about how you have to feel the presence of Queen and Wilson Moore. You feel this guy.
Speaker 2: He's one of the more physical linebackers in the league.
Speaker 3: Tasmanian devil, hair on fire, maybe two in a fault.
Speaker 2: It's that dirty label.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, oh he does. Yeah, but I mean even can overrun things here and there. But the nature of that Houston defense is we're just a bunch of crazed dogs. And he sets a tone.
Speaker 2: That's the way they played. Yeah, they really do. And you are right. He is a tone setter. And I mean this as like I don't mean this in a like a like a mean way, you know, but he's he's like one of those classic like a Landon Roberts Bobby splane thumpers. Yeah, with a little more athletic yeah side. He he could have played in another another area. Oh yeah, yeah, NFL football number five.
Speaker 3: You love him if he's on your team.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yes. He is one of those guys that you hate to play against him, but you love him when he's one of your own. Number five of his Jack Campbell Matt the twenty five year old. He was really nice. He was an honorable mentioned last year. He's number five this year. He actually got a couple first place votes from the seventy some people that are that are polled for this exercise.
Speaker 3: Six three. He's hard to he's hard to throw over. We've heard told stories many times of how he's the leader of that Iowa team and all those good things. He's lived up to it, and now he's starting to get the recognition. You know, he's starting to get the accolades and things of that nature. I think his contract either was just extended or he's next for Detroit.
Speaker 2: Oh he was, he was. He was just signed in May, four years eighty one million for the twenty five year old. Number four on this list Matt zach Bond of the Philadelphia Eagles. He was number three. He was number three last year, falls down a spot to number four this year. Twenty nine years old at one point, kind of a depth guy and special teams player for the Saints who's crazy story into a stud for the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had a hard time getting a regular rotation. He was an edge rusher Wisconsin dude, and he was fine for the Saints. I don't think they were unhappy with him. And the Eagles had this vision which is kind of a Fangio thing of they went their linebackers to be blitzers, to come downhill, to have size. They just drafted Johat Campbell in the first round next year, who I think will be on this list a year from now. So he had a remarkable season Bond two years ago, yes, but didn't really come back to earth last year. It was good. I mean he's I think he's a very very good player. But he kind of a unique style.
Speaker 2: Very unique style, very unique story. You know. He was a one of only two guys on this list to appear on every single ballot, the other being Fred Warner, who's a spoiler alert.
Speaker 3: He's going to spite missing almost the whole year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just how good he is. Yeah. Number three Matt Carsian Swessinger of the Cleveland Browns at number three, at just twenty three years old for the rookie and according to personnel executive with an NFC team, the next star linebacker has arrived. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think think if I had to put a chip down of who's the next one to be a perennial one on this list? At Schwestioninger he was really really good as a rookie and a lot of traits there, size, speed, recognition, skills, all those things well beyond his years. Pretty easy defensive player of the Year Luke.
Speaker 2: Keigley comparisons from some of these scouts.
Speaker 3: Ez, that's put a couple of years together first, right, Compare him to.
Speaker 2: A Hall of Famer. But you know you and I always laugh, that's what we do. Every wide receiver that runs fast and is tall as the next Randy Moss. Of course, Number two on this list Matt is Roquan Smith. He was number two last year.
Speaker 3: I'd head of Smith. Maybe a couple of these names. I think there's a little bit of reputation here.
Speaker 2: I think there might be two. Yeah, because he's still been good, but he hasn't been that dominant force that he was at times for the Bears and for the Ravens that he's twenty nine years old checks in at number two.
Speaker 3: So a lot of people around here and even nationally, Man Queen's on is good with Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a two way street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they played off each other really really well. Their best year was when they were shoulder to shoulder.
Speaker 2: I think you are I think you're absolutely right, and so yeah, both of those guys have still been good.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but it was.
Speaker 2: You Can definitely a very good player, no doubt, no doubt. But he maybe is not the just the absolute force of nature that he seemed to be when he had Patrick Queen lined up next to him. You see some of the some of the grounds crew guys out here now are trying their hand at it thrown into the quarterback and their accuracy let's see here, a little bit low, a little bit low.
Speaker 3: On that on that ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think you and I could come back down here one night after sharky is about ten, about ten thirty eleven o'clock and pull out the pull out the net and start throwing some football as what could go wrong? But of course Matt. Number one on the list is Fred Warner. He was number one last year, number one this year. Rarely does a player miss most of the season and still maintain his standing in his top ten. But Fred Werner around seventy percent of the first place votes in this exercise despite almost missing the entire season.
Speaker 3: I mean a rare player, a rare, rare coverage player that like they play against the Cowboys and Ceedee Lambs in the slot and he runs with them forty yards downfield, you know, shoulders shoulder. I mean, I think, am I ready to say he's Ray Lewis or you know, the one of the but I think he's a Hall of Famer and a couple more years, I think you start talking about him as a Keith Lee Lewis tier one off the ball linebacker ever and is really fit for the league as it is now in terms of coverage skills and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're going to build your ideal linebacker in Madden, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's what you want. It's Fred Werner for twenty twenty six. That's the guy you want.
Speaker 2: Happy to us see him back and healthy and doing his thing and hopefully a good year and a healthy year ahead for him, because he is. He's a if you are, if you're a football junkie like we are Matt He's just a fun dude to watch play. Yeah, just a just a fun guy, uh who runs around like a psycho and makes a million tackles and can run with slot receivers and he's just he's a lot of fun in a unique cat That's the top ten list compiled by Jeremy Fowler, voted on by NFL Scouts executives, gms that we like to kind of touch on those as we roll along. We'll get to a couple more of those to round out that exercise throughout trading camp. But now we have to get to a break. When we come back. It's the Bonus hour. It's the third hour of the show. We'll hit your tweets right at the top of the hour, so keep those rolling in if you want to get involved. Yeuler Williamson, it's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio No.