Speaker 1: Perry.
Speaker 2: Preparing for this week's episode, I was thinking about the kinds of foods that I love, and I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 1: A specific question about food.
Speaker 2: If there was one food you would be sad to lose, like and not alcohol or coffee, like not a not a like fun food, but like a real regular food. What is like the one thing that you would cry if you lost?
Speaker 3: Pez are cherry flavored pests?
Speaker 1: Do you eat aboutez frequently?
Speaker 3: Sorry? That is a deep cut. That is one of my favorite quotes from stand by Me from the.
Speaker 2: Star Trek about the like replication, Okay, what do you got?
Speaker 3: I'm here for you. No, my my real like a food that if it was like, no, you can't eat this anymore, this will now kill you. Probably like I don't know, like pasta bolognes that probably like pasta with meat sauces my happy place.
Speaker 2: So I was thinking about this because mine is definitely bagels, but then like my second one is bread and my third one is pastave. Like I every single thing on my list has gluten.
Speaker 1: Everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if if you had Celiac disease, I.
Speaker 2: Would be so sad. I would be I would just be eating rice all the time. And I think that would make me sad. So I'm I'm glad I am not sensitive to gluten.
Speaker 3: Well, there are a lot of people out there unfortunately who are. There are a lot of people out there maybe who think they are and might not be, which we're going to dig into a lot in today's episode on one of our favorite proteins, which is gluten.
Speaker 1: We love it, Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I'm Emily Astro, I'm an economist and a data expert.
Speaker 3: And I'm Perry Wilson, I'm a medical doctor.
Speaker 2: It's Thursday, August sixth, twenty twenty six, and this is wellness.
Speaker 3: Actually, because you're getting a staggering amount of health and wellness information nowadays from every source imaginable, and some of it is awesome and some.
Speaker 1: Of it is well actually bullshit.
Speaker 2: Fortunately, we are both people who know how to read studies, how to parse the data, and can tell you what's worth thinking about and what you can safely ignore.
Speaker 3: But before we dig in, a note that this podcast is for educational purposes and should not be construed as medical advice. We don't know your unique situation, so talk to your doctor for personal health decisions.
Speaker 1: This week, we're asking what's the deal with gluten?
Speaker 2: Harry and I will give the official smasher pass, and then we'll get to your question of the week.
Speaker 1: But first let's do the health news round us after.
Speaker 3: The break and we're back with our health news of the week. Emily, I want to start with the great protein backlash. If listeners go back to or What's deal with Protein? Episode, we talked a lot about protein having a moment. This was the macronutrient that everyone was into. Entire aisles at Costco dedicated to protein containing foods. And now we start to see some articles that are saying, hey, wait, if you eat a lot of protein, you're actually gonna die sooner? Is it over? Is the protein party over?
Speaker 2: I don't think the protein party's over, because let's just emphasize if you donate any protein.
Speaker 1: You will actually die.
Speaker 3: That this is true a.
Speaker 2: Reason you will die. But I find this. I'm going to tell you about the science, but I also think there's something just so interesting about the psychology of how the news works here that this gets covered, because it's surprising. If people don't think protein is great, then you're really interested in publishing articles that say, oh, protein is great, Protein is great surprise.
Speaker 1: Protein is great.
Speaker 2: Now everyone's like, I gotta have protein popcorn at Costco. It's not interesting to publish an article that says protein is great, and so now the thing the media wants to cover is like, maybe protein isn't that great?
Speaker 1: Do you think of that?
Speaker 3: It's the engaging contrarianism of engaging science communication.
Speaker 1: Totally okay.
Speaker 2: But this is the reporting that I saw on this week is based on a study. It's like a review study about data primarily on yeast although they do have some mouse data, there's very little if no data on humans here, and they have an argument about protein restriction. This is actually a set of people who are very interested in calorie restriction for lifespan extension, which is an interesting space where most of the evidence is also in mice.
Speaker 1: And I want to read you just.
Speaker 2: One sentence because for me this sort of summarizes like why I think you shouldn't probably learn much from this, which is a quote from the paper like calorie restriction, protein restriction improved health span and increases the lifespan of yeast flies and rodents. It does not mention people, and I think we should not port this to people just yet.
Speaker 3: Mice aren't people. Although you know, I want nothing but the best for at least yeast who you know, for the gluten episode in particular, where you know we need our good friend Sarkam seravc for many of our yeasty bread products. Yeah, it's true that severe calorie restriction does extend the lifespan of a variety of animals, ranging from single celled organisms up through mice. And we don't know if it happens in people, because you really need people live a long time anyway, and so you need and we're talking calorie restriction on the order for like the equivalent of like twelve hundred calories a day forever. I mean, it's really you're in a starvation state. And my thought about these kind of studies is like, even if true, this is not a life worth living. So, you know, if we can find the mechanisms downstream of the calorie restriction, like if it oh, it upregulates some hormone that like, and we can just give the hormone, great, do that research. But you know I'm not I don't I if eating twelve hundred callies a day gets me to be one hundred and twenty, I don't want to be one hundred.
Speaker 1: And twenty right totally. I could not agree more. Okay, next up, can we talk about Ebola.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has gotten worse.
Speaker 1: It's not the worst ever.
Speaker 2: What is going on and is this something people should be worried about outside the DRC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad that you brought this up. You know, we talked about the Bola outbreak a few times when it was first emerging, and then these things do have a way of falling out of the news and you might think, like, oh, I guess that's not an issue anymore, but it very much is. As of the thirtieth of July, there were three thy six hundred and five confirmed cases, including one thy five hundred and eighty seven deaths. That's a case fatality rate of forty four percent. That's obviously very bad, and the WHO says the outbreak is actually intensifying. They've documented sustain chains of transmission across multiple parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo as well as in cross border movement. There were cases in Uganda, which has done a little bit better with containment than the DRC. There were a couple of cases that were treated in France didn't get acquired in France. One of the really concerning things I found was a recent study which showed that maternal mortality was increasing in the DRC, not directly because of a bola, but because pregnant women are avoiding hospitals when they're giving birth and so because of the risk of a bola, and so you see young mothers dying. You know, this is concerning on a humanitarian level, because it's a humanitarian crisis, and it's a place where the proper provisioning of some standard public health measures could do a lot of good. Is it concerning in terms of if you live in Connecticut or Rhode Island. No, You know, ebola is certainly transmissible by body fluids, but we haven't seen really sustained transmission out of the DRC, and there's a lot of monitoring and whatnot. So I'm not worried about that. There are some vaccines in the pipeline which might make a dent. But most important just to remind people like this is still happening, and happening more than it was before. Actually, even though you're not hearing about it too much.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Okay, in better news, it seems like viagra might help prevent cancer in addition to being super super fun. So the result in at least in this article, is it mean taking viagara before their cancer diagnosis had an overall can't hire cancer survival. And I think there are some you know, like always in these articles, or some made up suggested mechanism which could or could I mean a little bit of a just so story. You know, this is not a randomized study. What do we think is driving the results here?
Speaker 3: This is one of those things where you have one paper this is uh. This came out in cancer, the journal Cancer Research, and they were looking actually most of the papers in cell culture and stuff looking at the effect of viagra and statins, so cholesterol luring medications on cancer cells. And you know what sometimes we'll do in science when we have a very sort of wet lab technical paper, like we did some cell work and blah blah blah, and you sort of are looking at the resulting like, Okay, this is interesting to us in our little field, but maybe it's not super compelling to the rest of the world. So what we're gonna do is we're going to tack on some kind of epidemiology study, and so they have all this kind of rather elegant work in cell culture looking at class straw synthesis, which if that's what you're interested in, please check it out. And then they're like, and by the way, we looked in this huge data set, and men who take viagra before they got cancer had a better overall survival. And that's that's literally it like, it's really a paper about cell culture. But of course that is what's generating dozens and dozens of news articles. Their proposed mechanism is that viagra has some effect of limiting cancer cells access to cholesterol, and cells need cholesterol to do a lot of work, and if they don't get the cholesterol, maybe they don't live as long. You're right, this is a adjust so story. There are plenty of reasons to think that men who have access to viagra might have better contact with the healthcare system, maybe even more health literacy, might be in different socioeconomic status, all sorts of things that might improve outcomes after a cancer diagnosis.
Speaker 1: Might have better social support.
Speaker 2: I mean, if maybe the case that their access to viagra is so they can use it to have sex with a partner and that having a partner to support you in a cancer diagnosis may improve your survival.
Speaker 3: Another excellent point, but just to underscore how headlines can be misleading. I actually read the article, you know, which is like I sometimes wonder if the science reporters actually look at it, and it actually only shows a significant effect among men taking statins. So they looked both at as I said, Statin's and viagrant, and the significant effect was in men who take statins prior to their cancer diagnosis live longer. And then they looked at men who take statins and viagra and saw a similar benefit, but like the statins were still there, and then when they looked at viagra alone, there was no significant benefit. So I'm like, all right, so it's the statins conclusion.
Speaker 1: Together something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know anyway, Viagra's a great and useful drug for many things. I'm not sure that it's it's carrying cancer though, Sorryfizer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, folks. Great cell work, poor rapidy theology. All right, that's it for the help news of the week. Now, what's the deal with gluten?
Speaker 3: All right, Emily, there's as soon as this episode was added to our list of upcoming episodes, I knew exactly what clip I wanted to play for you, so please listen to this. Look, man, if you stopped eating gluten, you'd feel way better all day. Whenever you feel that's because of gluten. That's not true. Who told you not to eat gluten? It's just true. You don't even know what gluten is. You have no ideal. Gluten's a vague term. It's it's it's something that's used to categorize things that are bad. You know, calories, that's a gluten fat. That's a gluten gluten me badge. Man, And I'm not needing it. HM, all right. That's seth Rogen and Jay Barroschel from Great movie. This is the end And for those of you, they're driving in a car in California and at the end they end up at a Carls Junior and are eating like delicious looking cheeseburgers, obviously with bread containing gluten. I just thought this was the most emblematic thing we could start the episode with.
Speaker 2: I love it, and I think I particularly love it because this is how many people talk about gluten as sort of this like nefarious, like, well, you're bloating diarrhea too much. Poop, not enough poop, not feeling good, tiredness. It must be gluten. It's I guess like gluten. It just means feeling badness. But gluten is actually a specific thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so we need to talk about what is gluten, So let's start there. Gluten is a protein. In fact, it's two proteins, gleiodin and glutenin, and it's the primary protein in wheat. It's also fa in barley and rye. And it is the sticky stuff that polymerizes when you make dough that makes your dough all stretchy and amazing. You know, when you are rolling out pizza dough and it springs back, that's a gluten. When you are baking your bread and those air bubbles get trapped, the air bubbles or the carbon dioxide bubbles that the yeast are generating get trapped in the sticky bread dough, that's a gluten. There really is no other grains that have that, and because of that, it's really hard to make chewy, stretchy delicious does out of things like rice flour unless you put in an additive like wargum or xantheon gum or some other binder. But Gluten is a natural binder in wheat, and without it, life would be a little bit more sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the higher stretchier like kind of more stretchy bread flour. When people say the high protein flower, it is because it has more gluten.
Speaker 1: That is the protein that we are discussing.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right. And yeah, if you're if you're not baking your bread with bread flour, switch right away. It's it's more unctuous.
Speaker 1: Okay, cooking with Perry, that's our next episode. That's our new podcast.
Speaker 3: I make a lot of bread, I too.
Speaker 1: Perry makes up that's could you have a sour dough starter person?
Speaker 3: Okay, we're going to talk. Can we table sour dough? I have thoughts. I have many thoughts on side. We will get to sour dough folks. We'll get there.
Speaker 2: But some other things before that, let's say, before we get into this, some other things do have gluten in them, soy sauce, often salad dressings, malt, vinegar, so actually a lot of if you are a person who is gluten sensitive, there are many things that have gluten. Although bread and bread products are the primary, the primary ones.
Speaker 1: So when we are thinking about this episode, The setup.
Speaker 2: For me here is there is a real set of issues associated with how people process gluten. Like many food sensitivities, this is something that some people have a sensitivity to, and I want to start talking about that. But in the influencer wellness space, there is a much.
Speaker 1: Wider discussion about gluten sensitivity.
Speaker 2: And if you look at some numbers, you know, the Enhynes says there's like two percent of people who you know don't eat gluten at all, But in other surveys, like thirty percent of the people in the USA they limit their gluten intake, and about ten percent of people worldwide identify as gluten sensitive, but something like fifteen to thirty percent of those have symptoms that are triggered. So there's a disconnect here, I think between how people talk about gluten and the sort of scientific diseases that are actually gluten sensitive. And I think that's that's like the interesting thing to unpack is what is real? And then how much do you want to extend the existence of Celiac disease into everybody should stop eating so much bread?
Speaker 3: Right? An analogy might be, you know, there are people with peanut allergy. They truly could die if they get any peanut product. And then if we had people who are like, oh, I don't have a full blown penat allergy, but I'm peanuts sensitive. You know, peanuts make me feel bad. And we need to explore that aspect because that's actually what the vast majority of people who are avoiding gluten are avoiding gluten for. And we can start by, like we can kind of buzz through the easy diagnose not easy, but like the confirmed gluten diseases, and I think obviously we have to start with Celiac disease.
Speaker 2: Celiac disease broadly is a disease that in which people cannot tolerate gluten.
Speaker 1: Tell me how we know about it?
Speaker 3: Uh, fascinating. We've known about it for centuries. The oldest reference I found was three hundred a d. And what coeliac disease presents as is a chronic disease of the bowels. Celiac literally means belly in like ancient Greek or something, so Celiac disease just like belly disease. Not very descriptive, but it's not just that. You know, in kids, it typically presents as GI symptoms malnutrition, failure to thrive, like so growth limitation and stuff, And for a long time it was really thought to be a disease of children. We now recognize that Celiac disease can present in later life and it's actually quite easy to diagnose, but you have to think of it first. And Celiac is one of those great imitator diseases. So you know, yes, it gives you gi upset, diarrhea, you know, excessive gas and things like that, but so do a lot of things right. It can also cause joint pain. It has a very characteristic rash called dermatitis her petiformis sort of a sicular intensely itchy rash on the extensor service surfaces of the arms and legs and stuff. A lot of fatigue, anemia, osteoporosis, and so these are.
Speaker 2: Like, so, I mean this isn't there's an issue with a disease like this where these are such generic symptoms.
Speaker 1: People come in they say, I'm not feeling good.
Speaker 2: I've got floating in diarrhea, i have a weird rash, I've got some monemia totally.
Speaker 1: A lot of people are anemic, a lot of people are tired.
Speaker 3: Ra Yeah, yeah, so your doctor actually has to think about it. But the good news if you think about Celiac disease, it's a blood test. There's a screening blood test anti tissue transclutamina's antibody. It's ninety five percent sensitive and specific. That's not perfect. You do need a confirmatory biopsy test which is done by Endosco. People like broadly speaking, if you think about it, you test for it, and you're well on your way. Historically, it's really interesting that although the disease has been known about for two millennia, it was only in World War Two that they figured out what the cause was. So Celiac disease is a classic autoimmune disease that is due to a genetic susceptibility, so it's largely genetically mediated, but it has an environmental trigger. And for all this until World War Two, it wasn't clear what the environmental trigger actually was. And it was a Dutch pediatrician, William Carrol Dickey, who found that his patients his kids with this disease got better during the Dutch hunger winter of nineteen forty four to nineteen forty five when they ran out of bread and then the Allies air dropped bread into Holland, I guess, and the kids developed the symptoms again once they were eating bread again. So it was actually that long before we knew at least that it was a wheat product. I think it took a little longer to figure out exactly that it was the gluten and the wheat what the cause was.
Speaker 2: So the incidence of this has gone up over timeing this is quite interesting. So if you think of this as a as a genetic disease within an environmental interaction over the past, it's gone of a lot in the past few decades. Some of that's going to be diagnosis and awareness, but some of that is aligned with a general rise in autoimmune diseases. Almost certainly, this is not genetic drift. It's just not enough time for their debe genetic dript So there is something going on in the environment or the food that we are eating that means that more people are having this big moon that we're providing. The foods that we're providing are more likely to trigger this in people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we actually know that it's a true increase again because that blood test is pretty good to detect celiac disease. There's a study in the Journal Gastroentrology in two thousand and nine which looked at banked blood samples from Warren Air Force Base, where like the privates had gotten their blood sampled in nineteen forty eight and nineteen fifty four, and they went back to those old samples and tested them for this anti tissue tense glutaminy sandibody, this diagnostic test for Celiac disease, and some of them had it. You know, they probably weren't even diagnosed at that point in time, but they are based on their blood they had it, and that rate has increased over time, So we do know something's going on. And here's where we should talk about.
Speaker 1: Sourdough is never a bad time, is it?
Speaker 3: The lack of sery?
Speaker 1: Why we should just got sourdough.
Speaker 3: So some people are hypothesizing that our modern industrial bread making process is a problem here, and the reason is that in the old times when we made bread and sort of with a slow fermentation. So think sourdough where it's like it takes twenty four hour and I've made sourdough, I actually don't love it because it's so labor intensive and I just like getting yased from the store and it's easy, but you know you've got twenty four to thirty six hours. Over that slow fermentation process, the gleodin and glutenin proteins are broken down somewhat more by the yeast, and so they're potentially in a less immunogenic form. Modern industrial bread is made with a process called the Chorleywood process, which is crazy and incredibly fast. You can make one of those whole loafs of bread based start to finish takes about two hours. Now I do that, so I did read about it. They use a lot more yeast, they like mix the dough really fast, and it actually gets hot as they're mixing, and they have to inject like cold water to keep it from getting too hot. I think they inject some maybe some gas or CO two in it themselves. But the bottom line is the yeast don't have much time to like do their breaking down of proteins things. So some people are saying that like it's the old fashioned bread that that might.
Speaker 2: People say things though like speculative sourdough bread could be something you would enjoy, but.
Speaker 1: That feels speculative today.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of evidence that autoimmune disease, other autoimmune disease, they've gone up over time.
Speaker 3: This is also true, and we can't blame bread for everything, all right.
Speaker 2: Worth noting is that people often take quite a long time to be diagnosed, because this is not clear, an average of eleven years between first symptoms and diagnosis. And so you know, if some of what we've described here seems like it's you, there is a test, and a gluten free diet is truly curative, although you have to keep up with it over time.
Speaker 3: Right, and for real celiac disease, I mean, a tiny amount of gluten will set it off. So this is like the real deal gluten free diet. And one thing we're going to say here is that for all of the conditions we talk about, jumping straight to the gluten free diet is generally not the recommendation because it's hard and not easy. And you know, with Celiac disease, at least we can test and make sure you have celiac disease and then put you on a gluten free diet. But you don't want to do that. You don't want to pull that trigger if you don't have to.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can also be allergic to wheat to have a just a regular person wheat allergy, just like you can be allergic to other foods. This is separate from a gluten allergy and would present with normal allergy symptoms, difficulty breathing in principle anaphylaxis. So separate gluten celiac disease and wheat allergy.
Speaker 1: You are not the same thing.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of wheat dependent allergy? Exercise induced anaphylaxis? Have you heard is you're an exercise person, Emily, I have?
Speaker 1: I have not, So it's this.
Speaker 3: Weird phenomenon, which I like to say, like like we don't fully understand, but it might be one of those weird phenomenon that I don't fully understand and other people do, so allergists let me know. But but basically it's people who have a wheat allergy, but it only presents during exercise. And so it's like this weird combination where it they just eat wheat or they just exercise. It's fine, but if they do both in proximity, in time, they develop anaphylaxis like.
Speaker 1: It did not like while you're running.
Speaker 2: It's not like if you run and eat a bagel, you're no.
Speaker 3: I think, I think it can be in your system, but that's sort of a weird one. And then there was a bizarre Japanese facial soap wheat allergy incident that occurred with the cha no Hizuku soap, which was documented in Epidemiology Circles. The short version is this was a soap that contained wheat. I don't know why, I guess whatever. People put a lot of things in wheat, and but for whatever reason, it was wheat in some kind of digestive form that was pretty allergenic, and when people were putting on their faces they were getting it like they were inhaling it and doing stuff like that. There's a lot of evidence in the allergy literature that when you eat something it's protective in terms of allergies, right like giving kids peanut butter when they're extremely young is protective. But when you get it in a different way, like if you inhale it or if it gets like under your skin or something like that, then you can generate allergy. So this happened in a like several thousand women in Japan developed wheat based anaphleaxes based on a soap. Very strange.
Speaker 2: That's extremely odd, don't buy weird soaps. Don't wash your face of flour. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure people do.
Speaker 1: You probably do.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's like a tiktac influencer whose whole thing is like flower face.
Speaker 1: I feel like, puts flowers on your face, covers it with one of.
Speaker 2: These masks, and then like stays on the airplane for like nine hours and at the end she's like, look at this and then her face is just like a crumbled mass of dough. Oh.
Speaker 3: I'm going to try to find this person, and if not, I'll have Ai make it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Ai needs to make that. Okay, there, do we really need to talk about gluten a taxia.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna get people freaked out that they're going to have neural loss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that's okay. There's there's another rare condition that is gluten a taxia, which is another automune condition kind of related to Celiac disease, but it attacks your brain instead of your small intestine and that's not great. But this is this is pretty rare. All of this is just to say that, yes, of course, like like any protein that's out there, including peptides, that you might be getting from China or other places. Anything like that can be a potential allergen. Can you know, your body's a complicated place and can induce strange symptoms and disease states. But the vast majority of people don't have Celiac disease, don't have weed allergy, and certainly don't have gluten a taxia thankfully. What most people have, or are concerned they have, is non celiac gluten sensitivity. And I guess that's what we need to get to after the break.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're back, and we're going to talk about non celiac gluten sensitivity, which is what many people seem to think that they have.
Speaker 1: And I will say this conversation a little tricky because there is no defined characteristic of sensitivity.
Speaker 2: So people often say that they're sensitive to foods, by which they mean some combination of I don't like that food, and you know, I don't feel great after I eat that food. And it can be hard to think about outcomes in this case if what you are saying as the sensitivity, of the outcome of the sensitivity is just like I don't I don't feel great, like I don't eat spicy food, I don't eat spicy food because the next day I feel really bad and I have a lot of problems in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: We don't need to go into it.
Speaker 2: But I would say I have a sensitivity, but it's not like a like a documented sensitivity.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. I think this is what people mean.
Speaker 2: Here is something different, something fundamentally different than I don't like to eat that food or that food doesn't agree with me.
Speaker 1: They mean something.
Speaker 2: Like I am having a version of a Celiac reaction to this food and therefore need to avoid it for.
Speaker 1: Medical reasons, as opposed to almost preferences. Does that make sense. It's such a hard distinction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough. We do not have a diagnostic test or a clear biomarker for non Celiac gluten sensitivity, so in contrast Celiac disease, where it's like yep, blood test, biopsy shows it. You know, these characteristic symptoms people who are like, look, I feel bad, and by the way we say feeling bad generally is in the GI system. People complain of bloating, diarrhea, sometimes constipation, but also brain fog, fatigue, depression, other symptoms that can be hard to pin down. There's no case definition for non celiac gluten sensitivity. And more importantly, there's no blood test. There's no signal of immune activation like we can see in celiac disease, seic disease, you can find the immunoglobulins that are directed against the proteins and things like that. We don't have that in this. This is not to say that this is not a real thing and we can go I think that you know, there are always people who are going to be skeptical of this because it's like, wait, okay, you don't have a blood test. This is just someone kind of complaining that they get gassy sometimes, and we all get gassy sometimes, and who cares whether it's the gluten or not. So the thing I think to take home or an important set of studies that looks at non celiac gluten sensitivity are blinded challenges. So the way this works is you take people who you know believe they have gluten sensitivity for whatever reason, and instead of just saying, okay, go on a gluten free diet and see how you feel, in which case there's going to be a lot of placebo effect there, right, Like you're doing something, you're being proactive, you're eating different foods in general. You give them a blinded challenge where you you know, at random, you give them either food containing gluten or food containing non gluten. And basically, when you do this, you find that, let's see, sixteen to thirty percent of those who believe they have gluten sensitivity get the symptoms reliably reproduced in blinded challenges. Now there's two ways to look at this. One is to be like, oh, that's like glucas, no one has non sea like gluten sensitivity. But that's clearly not true. I mean some people obviously. Do you know up to thirty percent of people who believe they have some noncilia gluten sensitivity can re produce it in a blinded challenge, which means something is happening even if we can't see it in the blood. But it's also really important to realize that there's seventy percent of people out there that don't have a non celiac gluten sensitivity. And I think it's important to realize that there's a heck of a lot more in bread products than just gluten, And it's so critical to determine if you're sensitive to something what you might be sensitive for, because, as we pointed out at the beginning, cutting out gluten means cutting out a lot of really great a lot of really great things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me just double down on this point about how we do these blinded challenges, because there's also some I think very nice, what people would call no sebo evidence. So in these kind of trials, they give people in this case who are potentially gluten sensitive, they either tell them that they're getting gluten or tell them that they are, So there's a difference in your expectations, and then they either give them gluten or not. So the people who so, what they find here is that, you know, there's significantly more gastrointestinal symptoms if you tell someone that they're getting gluten and they get it, then if you tell them they're not getting gluten but they do get it. So there's a sort of like the expectation is driving it. And moreover, the people who think that they're getting the gluten and are not getting it look like the people who think that they're getting it and get it. So in this particular study, the expectations about whether you were going to get gluten were much more important than whether you actually got it in driving the symptoms. Now, again that doesn't mean that there aren't mean this is like one study and there's a variation across people.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean that there aren't people for whom.
Speaker 2: The symptoms deliver based on getting the gluten and not on the expectations. But there is clearly in some of this either some thing about another product that people are consuming or something that is effectively a placebo expectation.
Speaker 3: Remember that your brain talks to your gut like, this is not just it's all on your head. In fact, your brain can make your small intestine in colon do things. You've actually all experienced this, like when you finally get close to a bathroom that you like and then you have to poop. That is your brain telling you, like, okay, it's like something is going on here. So the fact that expectation can induce gisymptoms is totally reasonable and it's not like a psychology problem. It's how the brain works. But it's really critical to remind people that gluten travels in the company of several other molecules that can give you some gut distress, and I think the big one, and there are a lot but under the sort of it might not be the gluten that you're sensitive to, are the fructo oligosaccharides, or so called fruit tans. These are essentially chains of sugar molecules that you can't digest like you, humans lack the enzymes to digest these things, but the bacteria in your colon are more than happy to digest them. And when they do, they those bacteria produce gas and a feeling of bloating, which you know certainly mimics a lot of the symptoms that people not see, like gluten sensitivity, say they have. And the main source of fruit tans in the Western diet is wheat, So if you cut out gluten, you're biproxy cutting out wheat, and therefore you're biproxy cutting out fruit tans. But so you might feel better, But it actually wasn't the gluten all along, And if you knew that it was the fruit tans, you might do something different than cut out gluten. That is true, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: What you might try is what's called a fod map diet, which is a specific kind of diet that eliminates these oglio saccharides, but it does.
Speaker 1: Not require an elimination of all gluten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just to hit on the theme again, like jumping to the conclusion I should stop eating gluten, like seth rogen in the beginning is often incorrect. Like the way you should do this is potentially discussing with your doctor, but more importantly in the situation like this, talking with a dietitian, because there's actually a really defined pathway of trying different foods and recording your symptoms to sort of isolate what the sensitivity is. And that's such an important piece of knowledge if you can actually dial it in. Maybe it's gluten, but if it's something else, it's so important to know that.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a sort of step back on this, which is to say, some of what's going on here almost a lot of what's going on if people are saying, you know, I'm not feeling great.
Speaker 1: I'm eating food and I'm not feeling great.
Speaker 2: I feel bloated, I feel nauseous, I feel fatigued, I have a brain fog, And one of the possibilities is that is related to what I'm eating, which in the case of gastrointestinal symptoms, is like a totally reasonable assumption.
Speaker 1: And then the question should be what is it?
Speaker 2: And yes, gluten is one of the things that you would put on the list of possibilities, but actually, for most people, there's a lot of other things that you would want to have on that list.
Speaker 1: Maybe you'd want to have these saccharides, but also.
Speaker 2: You might want to say, like, maybe you're not having enough fiber, maybe you're not having enough hydration, maybe you're drinking too much, maybe you're not drinking enough like what, There's various other possibilities.
Speaker 1: And so one of the sort.
Speaker 2: Of insidious things about this gluten business for me is that I think some people are having these symptoms and just saying, oh, it's probably gluten sensitivity. Let me just cut it all this gluten which is both making their life worse because bread is delicious, but is also actually probably not fixing the problem as much as if they took a more holistic view around the symptom pattern and ask the question, what could I do to improve my symptoms? And this a little bit what happens in this influencer space, which is people see, you know, oh I don't feel good, and then this influencer says, you probably have a gluten allergy. You know, everybody, or you probably have a gluten sensitivity, and you know, make your tortilla out of cottage cheese instead of bread, and everything will get better.
Speaker 1: And that could be delicious, but it might not fix your problem.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. And I think you know, there's obviously an entire industry, a gluten free industry out there. You can buy gluten free tortillas and gluten free bread and gluten free pasta and all that stuff. It's worth noting that in general, these gluten free foods are more processed, they're they're more in the ultra processed food spectrum. They tend to be lower in fiber, lower in folate, generally higher in fat and sugar, and two to three times the price. So there is like a cost to be paid for switching into a non gluten framework. There have been some studies in of rice flour. I'm pulling something from the journal Epidemiology from twenty seventeen looking at the unintended consequences of a glut and free diet. And one of the things they found where us higher arsenic and mercury levels in the urine. Because rice flour tends to be slightly more contaminated with arsenic and mercury. So yeah, don't don't jump to conclusions here, you might regret it.
Speaker 2: And I think also we sort of see one of these people are constantly reporting is that their gluten sensitivities are better when they are in Europe.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I've had friends say that. Yes, yes, yeah, like in.
Speaker 2: The flowers different, the croissants are different. Well, French croissants definitely have gluten in them. Now they maybe cooked differently, the wheat is different, but there's no question that they have. Like if you are a person with Celiac disease and you eat a French bisont, you will feel like crap the same way that you will if you are an American American cuissont, Like, no difference. And so this suggests either for some fraction of these people there's something else in the food environment that is different. Maybe there's something about the interactions with stress, maybe there's like, maybe there is something else going on, and maybe there's something that the difference in the way the flower is processed. But my strong.
Speaker 1: Instinct is it's actually some other things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the epidemiology of both Celiac disease and non celiac gluten and gluten sensitivity is the same in Europe and the US, so like there's just as many. It's not like, oh that no one has Celia act disease over there. They do in the same rate as we do. So yes, everything tastes better in France one hundred percent, and we should we all feel better when we're in France. I can speak from personal experience there, but it's probably not anything magic that they're doing with their with their weat.
Speaker 2: I just feel like if people are not I have a hard time expressing this, but I feel like this has gotten in the way of people improving how they feel because it has given people an easy answer that companies are obviously delighted to take advantage of by saying, oh, you know, you can buy our gluten free crackers, and you know you can buy our gluten free bread and gluten free this, that and the other thing, And that it has gotten people into a space where they're not actually trying to figure out what's wrong. They're just defaulting to something which may or may not really be the solution.
Speaker 1: And that feels bad to me.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, And these symptoms because they're amenable to both the placebo and no cibo effect. You might feel better by switching, even if it has nothing to do with wheat at all, even if your symptoms are due to like you aren't getting enough fiber. The very act of taking initiative and switching all your bread to gluten free bread that has an expectation to it that can have placebo effects as well. They tend to not last forever. And I've had plenty of friends and patients and stuff who have been gluten free for a period of time and then things start creeping back, like symptoms start creeping back, and people start to realize, you know what, like maybe it wasn't the gluten, and at that point in time they actually do what is what's real work is to figure out what you're sensitive to. It's not something that you're going to do overnight. It takes like kind of documentation of symptoms and very specific dietary changes over time. But once people do that work, they're generally happy that they did ye, but it is work. I, as per tradition, tried to find a study that would show that avoiding gluten would improve your athletic performance, so that I could get Emily to be gluten free for the next ten years and I failed. All I found was a study appearing in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise in twenty fifteen which took thirteen endurance cyclist and randomized them in a crossover fashion. So they went like a couple of weeks having gluten in a couple of weeks not having gluten, and then did time trials and Nope, they were just as fast and just as endurance as they regardless of what their gluten intake was.
Speaker 2: I'm actually shocked that this did not go in the other direction. Oh even that, I would think it would be hard to maintain the kind of carbohydrates that you need without gluten containing products.
Speaker 1: So they guess these guys probably just said a lot of rice.
Speaker 3: I think they had a dietitian. I think they were calorically equivalent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know very few endurance athletes who don't contour who avoid gluten because it's just hard to get enough you know, carbohydrates and sugars.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I also checked because people ask like, is there a difference between organic we and non organic wheat, and the answer is not in terms of gluten. They both have gluten.
Speaker 2: But it could be something else. And that's like, there could be something else between these things.
Speaker 1: That are bothering that are bothering you. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talk to you a dietitian and work it through.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you are having these here's my takeaway here, then we can smash. Our pass is if you are having symptoms like this, you should be tested for celiac. And if you don't have Celiac, you should do something broader to try to figure out what's bothering you, rather than just some Mary's crackers, even though they're it's a very good kind of cracker.
Speaker 3: Not nad, but send us some Mary's crackers.
Speaker 2: All right, Perry. Are you a smash or pass on gluten?
Speaker 3: I'm a smash. I'm a lover of pasta, a lover of bread. I feel for all of you who have any form of gluten intolerance, whether it's Celiac disease or otherwise, and I implore those of you who might just be assuming that they have gluten intolerance to try to figure it out for one certain because a life without gluten is just a smidge less happy than a life with gluten. Emily Smash pass.
Speaker 2: I'm a smash all my favorite foods contained gluten, and I will dittow you that. I think I love people to just make sure that this is what's going on with.
Speaker 1: You, and maybe you'll be able to have gluten. All right, that's it for gluten.
Speaker 2: Mail back question in the week after the break.
Speaker 1: Hi, Emily and Perry.
Speaker 4: This is Ellie and Josh and we're calling from Toronto. Our question is is coffee really bad for kids? Does it really stunt kids growth?
Speaker 3: Like would it hurt if I love it to drink a bit? That's our question, Emily, do your kids drink coffee?
Speaker 2: My kids don't drink coffee because they tell me that they see how dependent I am on coffee and they don't want that for themselves, which I think shows a level of maturity I have not achieved.
Speaker 1: What about you.
Speaker 3: My sixteen year old will occasionally, but but not too often.
Speaker 1: Coffee does not stunt kids growth. This is a myth.
Speaker 3: It's I have one hundred percent told my kids this. By the way, on knowing it's not true.
Speaker 1: Turn this off for your children. It's a myth.
Speaker 2: I think there are reasons to not give your child coffee, which are that you could develop a tolerance for a caffeine and then you will need it. And that's not a terrible that's not a terrible thing, but it may not be something you want to develop in a child.
Speaker 1: And particularly since many of.
Speaker 2: Us use caffeine to address our lack of sleep, I would urge you to make sure your children are sleeping enough so they don't need coffee. And definitely they should not have coffee at the end of the day because it does interfere with sleep, even if it doesn't interfere with growth.
Speaker 3: So well said one note that teenagers and kids are getting most of their caffeine not from coffee these days. They're getting them from energy drinks and sodas, and those are also not good for kids.
Speaker 2: And actually those and like the Celsiest energy drink that has a lot of caffeine in it, arguably more than coffee. So people do want to be pretty careful, pretty careful about those.
Speaker 1: Do you did you?
Speaker 2: I know you probably this is not going to be for you. Did you watch if you're watch Saved by the Bell?
Speaker 3: I mean I remember you, sure, I remember Saved by the Bell?
Speaker 1: And do you remember the episode?
Speaker 2: Do you remember the Jesse episod where Jesse Spano gets addicted to the caffeine pills.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were like, we can't do real drugs, but.
Speaker 2: Burned this image of Jesse Spano like dancing around her room because she's had too many caffeine fills.
Speaker 1: It's like burned into my mind forever, and I have in high school.
Speaker 2: Even though I was tempted because I was not sleeping anywhere near enough, I would never have ever taken caffeine pills because of that Saved by the Bell episodes of Drugs Kids.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it worked. It worked on a very special episode of Saved by the Bell.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, that was so great.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, well Josh, it's probably not a good idea for you to have too much coffee, but it's not going to make you short.
Speaker 3: All right. That's it for us today. With us next week when we'll ask what's the deal with fluoride? Oh, we're gonna get some emails about that. People get upset about.
Speaker 2: Flora I Wellness actually is produced in association with iHeartMedia.
Speaker 1: Our senior producer is Tamar Avishaid.
Speaker 2: Our executive producer at iHeart is Jennifer Bassett. Our theme music is by Eric Deutsch and Our content is for educational purposes.
Speaker 3: Owner If you like the show, help other people find us. Leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or your podcatcher of choice and help us spread the word about the show. You can follow us on Instagram at Wellness Actually pod and don't forget. We want to hear from you. Head over to Wellness Actually dot fm and leave us a question for our mailbag or suggest a topic for a future show.
Speaker 1: We'll let the influencers have the last word. No time, there's never any time. I don't have time to study. I'll never get into Stanford. I'll let everyone down.
Speaker 2: I'm so confused.
Speaker 3: Jay, just calm down.
Speaker 1: It's okay, right, you think will be okay. I just need one of these hills.
Speaker 3: You mean you really are taking drugs?
Speaker 1: You need them? Just say, jes See, you can't sing the night you can't. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I'm so.
Speaker 3: Scared.
Speaker 4: Jesse