Speaker 1: Ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Partly cloudy.
Speaker 1: Cumulone members SPF eighty five.
Speaker 2: By the way, all previously reported temperatures are in fahrenheit.
Speaker 1: That good mornings swim. Then welcome to the Now Dungs podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Thursday, April twenty ninth.
Speaker 2: J E.
Speaker 1: Skeeds along with my top shot hot boy Trey Kirby heyl Hey, the international Man of Mystery, taking it to the max Leyelism, and last but not least, making the magic happiness JD. Hello Darius here we are shout out to the stream team for joining us live right now on YouTube. Smash that like button, leave your comments and subscribe, cause tonight at nine pm Eastern. Yeah, we already changed the start today for this NBA Happy Hour is now game night. Yes, come join your boys on the live stream here on YouTube as we play a little Geo guesser, maybe a little Sparkle quiz. Maybe Lee opens up an old pack of F one racing cards. You don't know what's gonna happen on Game Night tonight, but anyway, we'll hang out for a couple hours, have a blast, of course, answer your questions and comments that you're dropping in the stream team there as well, So join us tonight nine pm Eastern. NBA Happy Hour is now game Night. Okay. Also email us your questions and comments for the next beach step. In podcasts No Dunks at the Athletic dot com, we hit the beach yesterday. We talked about new NBA awards we'd like to see added to the mix. We attempted to agree on, like what actually makes up an NBA journeyman, like the criteria for that. That was fun, uh task leading that discussion, and then Lee talked a lot about cars and construction. Real manly Man yesterday's Johnson.
Speaker 3: Rotten Man Man, that's right, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, how's your Stanley bru.
Speaker 3: You gotta be a hippie, you gotta be way more into it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my bad.
Speaker 1: I've got a grunt like Tim the tool Taylor. Yeah. He was talking a lot about uh again, driving over screws and then his screw drivers and.
Speaker 2: The left and right.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah to stuff from a gang. Go check out that beach dub podcast that we posted yesterday, and I finally grab your suite No dunks merch over at No dunk dot com. Okay, On today's show. We got tweeted the night we got pick the results. Uh, though, maybe we'll just skip that, you know, I think we'll just gloss over that today nothing important happened. Yeah, we're gonna run back some what you got fun. We had a blast doing night yesterday. I got some other ones for you guys today, and we'll get to the big games and the big news from a very busy Wednesday night in the Association. But first, Weggie number forty four. It was a prime time Weggie Paul George. Hmm, nice nice wedge there underneath sort of the rim lodged in there against the backboard. So beautiful shot there. I love that camera work. And here we are go to weggietracker dot com. Up to forty four wedgies on the season. We're getting closer and closer to that magic number fifty and then we're gonna try and set the all time record on pace for fifty five. We're loving it. So great stuff there from a very entertaining game from the Clippers and the Suns. And that's the first game we're starting with here Ley the Suns. The headline is the Suns clinch of their first postseason birth in eleven years, and they did it in style and once again Chris Paul taking over late. But what's the big takeaway for you in terms of that game and then making the postseason for a first time in a long time.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, repeat Rinson, repeat there with Chris Paul. Get the game close, just give the ball to Chris Paul and he'll finish it off, which is incredible stuff. Once again. But look, the turnaround in Phoenix I think has gone way better than even they could have hoped for. When they traded for Chris Paul in the offseason, it was a look, we desperately want to make the playoffs, and I think they probably would have settled for somewhere like fifth or sixth, you know, to be honest, I think. But now they're at the point where they potentially have home court advantage for as long as they're in the playoffs because they're only a game back of the Utah Jazz. They play them tonight, but they already hold the tiebreaker against the Utah Jazz, having beaten them twice this season. Now, who knows exactly what happens, maybe guys rest to night, I'm not sure, but Phoenix to be in this position where you know they could have the best record in the league is incredible.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Chris Paul obviously deserves a ton of credit for that. And I think when you saw an Okay, see guys like Gilges, Alexander Denis Sruder, they elevated their games. And you see it as well with outside of the guys of the Stars like Devin Booker and and DeAndre and Michael Bridges or macale Bridges, Cameron Payne. Those guys are sort of elevating their game. That's not all Chris Paul, but I certainly think he has influenced those guys by trusting them. He throws in the ball and he needs them to knock down shots and they do. And then cam Raon Payne, you just see him out there. He's just feels confident in his game. And I think again the way that Chris Paul plays, these guys just see how he plays and they try to sort of play the best they can. The Suns offensively, they're great, seventh defense, their fifth even better. So you know, things have been legit with this team. It's not like they're just sort of riding one particular wave. You know, they're balanced well they're they're well coached, they're deep, and they've got that superstar who is really closing out games for them, which is great. Now it becomes a tricky part because obviously they're going to make the playoffs and skeezee, you know better than anybody, after a long playoff drought, the Raptors made the playoffs. Remember, for their first two years, home court advantage probably went into both series favorite and they lost in that first round. So that's going to be the real big challenge if the Phoenix Suns. I know, the Suns fans don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that. They're like, hey, stop hating on the Suns. The big difference is the Raptors didn't have a Chris Paul in that situation.
Speaker 1: Lowry.
Speaker 3: I think Larry hadn't made the playoffs once, but obviously he hadn't gone all that far and he wasn't at Chris Paul's level. But you know, that's where the Suns do have a big advantage. They're going to have a guy who's going to be thirty six. He's a veteran. You know, he's played over one hundred playoff games and look, not all of those have been great, let's be fair, but it certainly feels like he's the sort of guy who is going to be able to at least steer them in the right direction. So I think this is great, and I'm excited for Phoenix. You know, it's been so long and they're back, They're in the playoffs, and now it's just going to be okay. Can they translate what's happened in the regular season into playoff success and what is a successful season?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Do they have to make the conference finals? I don't think so, but I certainly think they have to go further than the first round at a minimum to really make something out of the season. But it's been an incredible turnaround, way better than I think any one realistically predicted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sons have not been there since twenty ten. When Nash is throwing oops to Amari Stadameyer trade. It's a long time ten season drought there, tied for fist long.
Speaker 2: These guys are literally coaching together. Yeah at this point, Yeah, wild stuff.
Speaker 1: And so here they are. But Chris Paul twenty eight and ten last night, Clippers, they didn't know what to do with them again in the fourth quarter, he hit five of his eight shots, scored fifteen. You know, when it got tight, when the Clippers pulled within one, it was Chris Paul once again like making consecutive tough baskets there to close it out. He is the closer here. And you said it, Lee, I mean they're one game back of the Utah Jazz. Let's say the Suns get the number one seed, the best record in the NBA. Huh, Chris Paul comes there in the first season, gets the best record. Well, we'll get a few former MVPs for Phoenix Suns that have done that before. Barkley and his first year with the Suns, right one MVP leading the league's the best record there in Phoenix. Same with Steve Nash his first one, you know, returning to the Suns in his case, winning MVP and leading them to the best record. A lot of us think Yoki is gonna win MVP and he We're gonna get to him and what he did last night. But trait, if the Suns do have the number one record, does Chris Paul have any chance over the final ten or even I guess the question, does he have any chance to get like top three top two with what he's doing here recently and again the caveat the Phoenix Sun's having the number one record in the liague.
Speaker 2: Well Skeets, Now that you mentioned the historical MVPs that the Suns have, I think that Chris Paul's gonna win it because Charles Barkley shouldn't have won the MVP in nineteen ninety three and Steve Nash shouldn't have won it in two thousand and five. So maybe they'll give it to Chris Paul because this belongs to Nicoley Jokinz. But this guy's gonna get some votes, no doubt about it. And I think you're right that top three is certainly in the mix at this point. As you know, Chris Paul has certainly put the team on his back for the fourth quarters and the way he is, he's showing out and doing it every single night, and if they get the number one seed, those are some good arguments, especially considering when you're looking at who's gonna come in third right now anyways, you're probably saying Jokic, then Embiid and then third is maybe a toss up. Steph Curry, I would think, was kind of leading that for a while. But the Warriors obviously are scrapping to stay in the play in tournament. Jannis obviously has a case for number three as well, but it feels like we're just going to kind of ignore that right now. Meanwhile, the Bucks are kind of, you know, playing five hundred basketball, just waiting for the playoffs, which is really where Yiannis needs to show up. So yeah, I can certainly see people talking themselves into Chris Paul at least being a top three MVP candidate, because it's impossible to deny the impact he has. Just look at like Frank Kaminski. He has played like thirty five minutes in the past month, score thirteen points in thirteen minutes in the first half last night. They're just like, hey, we need you to shoot your threes and do your Frank Kominski stuff. He's like, all right, I got you. Chris Paul getting the MVP chance, no surprise, he should be there, But I don't know. Less and less I'm thinking it's a crazy idea to give Chris Paul some MVP votes.
Speaker 1: Well, what you're saying there, Trey is a I saw Kazim had a tweet last night that said Chris Paul got to blame Steve Nash for not getting real MVP consideration because folks are hell bent on never letting that happen again. And there it is any truth to that. Lee Like does Nash winning you know his MVPs? Like does it help or hurt a guy's chances? Like Chris Paul where where the stats are not blowing you away? But of course it's like what he's done, the impact on that winning culture, the intangibles, whatever you want to call it. You know, it is similar to Steve Nash in that sense. What do you think about like that tweeting that idea?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think Steve Nash went back to Phoenix because largely because Mark Cuban didn't think his back was going to hold up, and so he didn't want to re sign him, and so the Sun said we'll take him. And then he rejuvenated that Sun's team, and I don't remember if they finished with the best record or not in the in the Western Conference. I was certainly up there, but they seem to when he came back all of a sudden, you know, he was exactly what they would needed for a Mari stardomeron for and Sean Marrion and Raja Bell. You know, Raja Bell was that sort of guy who was like, all of a sudden, he's just shooting threes and it's like, this guy's great playing alongside Steve Natch. So, but I think with Chris Paul, it's more the fact that the Sons were like, you know, they had a good bubble of course, and I was like, okay, he's there and he improved the thunder. What's he going to do with the Suns? Are they going to be about somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 1: But instead he's.
Speaker 3: Got them, you know, to a point where it's like, wow, this is this is so much better than what anyone was really predicting with them. So the numbers, yeah, they sixteen and eight. I think he's only putting up on the season. But he's having a much greater significant impact on that team and their record than those numbers show, because he's doing it late. I don't have the clutch stats here. I meant to check those this morning.
Speaker 1: I forgot to. But Phoenix's money in the clyps there's something like twenty and eleven last year.
Speaker 3: Okay, see were as well, you know, so it's no coincidence that where he goes his team improves.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's timing as well, isn't it.
Speaker 3: You know, because he's playing so well right now that that is, you know, the freshest recency buyers certainly plays a factor. You know, Jokic and the the Nuggets are doing well certainly since Jamal Murray went down. But it's almost like we've been talking about him so much that that maybe he has dropped a little bit in the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been talking about him in the MVP conversation for so long that we need to get him out of the MVP. Come. Guy made a huge clutch play last night, I know.
Speaker 1: But if he had faltered here when Jamal Murray went out and the Nuggets last a bunch of games, then this gets really interesting. But that didn't happen. So yeah, that's why, you know what, We're going to make our award picks on tomorrow's Drop podcast. By the way, we're doing that tomorrow. We'll do our top five ballot all of that. But he did it like he didn't fall off at all, is the problem. But I'm saying I think that Chris paul Is is definitely, of course at the MVP table at this point. I'm with you on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's what I'm saying. In the more recent games and in the recent history, we've seen him step up and hit those shots late, win those games for his teams, and that just elevates him in the conversation.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, No, he's looked. Chris Paul, believe it or not, has finished top seven in MVP bloats like eight times, like a lot, you know, which surprised me a little bit and looking into that, but he'll do that again. I would imagine at least top seven and like we're saying, maybe top five, maybe top three, who knows where he falls. He just like when you had Chris Paul to your team at this point, you know what's gonna happen. You're gonna be pretty damn good in the clutch, like you said, Lee, because he's got a pretty good track history of that. He's gonna steady the pace, which is where the Suns are, you know, like they're they play somewhat slowly. They rank in the bottom third. Because that's again Chris Paul just has his fingers over everything, over everything that you're running out there and then you're gonna protect the ball because he's incredible at that. So they're a really good team passing the ball fourth and assists. They don't turn it over a ton, you know, awesome, you know, sort of assist to turnover ratio there with them, and again that clutch factor. That's what you're getting from a Chris Paul led team right now at the point guard. And this is wild that they might have the best record in the league or at least chasing the Jets. So fun stuff. They're really fun game now, Clippers, I like, I hope these teams meet somehow in the playoffs because they don't like each other, yeah, which is great. You know, there's some animosity there between, especially like Booker CP three and then sort of Paul George and there's no Kauai for the Clippers. So I don't think everybody's freaking out over that last, though. I will say I don't like the Clippers' chances maybe now of going up in the standings anymore. Like that was a big win for Phoenix in that sensely where they might be holding on to it the very least the second seed, like we said, maybe get to first but you know, they're nice little buffer there a little bit.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, two games, two games and what about eight to ten to go? I think sort of depending on exactly what their schedules are, but yeah, that would have been one of those ones that they would have moved to what forty four? Yeah, it would have been still one or two losses behind the Suns, but ahead of them on victory. So yeah, it's pretty important there for the Phoenix Suns to hang on at home against the team they could likely face. But there's enough time, I think for the Clippers here just to still over the haul and if they if they really get on a bit of a hot streak and the Sons do drop a game or two, but very very close.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to yell Kitsch, the lead MVP front runner. At least he blocks, did he? Zion's lap shot now gets hold off the Pelicans one fourteen, one twelve. Zion asked about it after the game, like that critical, like nine call there got to earn my respect, he said, So, you know, he took it on the chin, But what did you think of that? No call there? Leaves thought it was a foul or no that you'll could take something swipe at Zion there as about two seconds left, ingram nice little shovel pass to him. I thought it was really nice. But what'd you think about that play?
Speaker 3: This was as bang bang a players I think you can possibly get because he does sort of swipe at him, which I think that gives the referees a chance to sort of say, you know what, like that that's a foul just because you sort of he sort of winds up and hits him there. I went back frame by frame over both replaces to see him baby, just to see exactly like what happened first, And I think he gets enough ball first and as way as far as I understand the rule, the hand is part of the ball. If your hand is covering that part of the ball, then it's not a fair and I think he gets enough of that. There's a little bit of collateral afterwards with the with the sort of hand coming down and.
Speaker 1: Their head a little bit.
Speaker 3: But overall I'm kind of like, I think that's actually fine. I think it is it's fine that call he gets. He gets enough of it there for me to be like, the refs made the right call on that play. So you know, the Pelicans obviously upset, not not happy. I was hoping Zilla would have a little ride up on it this morning, because he's usually pretty accurate.
Speaker 1: He didn't really say anything. He just said it was like one line. I was like, come on, they'll give me some more of that.
Speaker 3: But overall, I think it's yeah, you could, you could make the case there's a foul, but I think it's about a fifty two percent non foul forty eight percent. I lean a yo kitchen in the nugget's favorite and for the ref to not, you know, they decided they weren't gonna well, he still have had to make free throws, of course, but well.
Speaker 1: That's what's funny about it. I feel like Yo kich was almost trying to foul them in a weird way put the line like, at least like we're not giving up the dunker lay up here. I think he even said that after the game. Well, I'm just going to like, at least foul you know, sorry, at least take a hard swipe at yes, and yeah, maybe I hit ball which definitely does make contact, and at the very least I prevent him from tying the game up and make him earning at the line. So it's it's it's a it's a close one there. But what would you think.
Speaker 2: Trey clean, super clean, to be complete completely honest. Yeah, I mean Zion maybe in five seasons he gets that call, I would say, you know, when he's one of the faces of the league, even more so. But Nikola Jokich is your MVP right now, so he's getting the calls. And I thought maybe maybe he touches Zion's hair a little bit at the top, but he doesn't even get a lot of hand I don't really think on this block. He gets the ball pretty cleanly. When you see it from behind, it just looks like a massive swipe because it is a massive swipe. But I did love Jokic's reaction afterwards, just walking back to the bench like no big deal, just like he had a game winner, all right, game winning blocks. Bought some great quotes from this afterwards. Stan Van Gundy said, I do think that strength gets punished in this league a lot more than quickness. If you're able to go through contact a little bit called differently. If you fall down every time your hit or you flop, you get calls. That's just the way it is. It's not just just Zion, That's just.
Speaker 1: The way it is.
Speaker 2: Things will never be the same now. Obviously, stan Van Gundhy was a Dwight Howard's coach. Dwight Howard went to the line a whole bunch of times. He got fouled a lot. But big guys do get refereed differently, I do think, And to be quite honest, Zion did go down to the ground on that foul call right or on that shot attempt right there. But do you guys agree that a strong guy gets officiated differently?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I dred percent think so. But also, Zion, isn't he like uh? Is he like second in the league in free through attempts? For somebody's very exactly right exactly a second year player, which is damn impressive and deservedly so. I mean he's at the rim all the time. There's gonna be a lot of contact. Yeah, I think I think stan Van's got a point. I think it's just much more difficult if you're an official to call that the big guys down there. Lely you agree like shot, Yeah, it was for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean you could just see Shack he would go there, and because he was so big and strong, players were able to do things that they weren't allowed to do against other guys, and so that was a sort of a punishment against I think you see it with Lebron too at times. You know, it's like just because he's so tough, it's like, well he can take more body contact than other guys. But that's just again, how you interpret the rule, and a refereeing is so very difficult because let's say, for example, last night, they called that foul and then they defend it after the game, which they could have done.
Speaker 1: The refs.
Speaker 3: It's like, sure if they call that, sometimes you know they didn't. And it's funny because I thought, you know, Zion saying as well, he's got to earn his respect, which is pretty mature thing of him to say and to realize that that's how it goes in the league, and I thought maybe he could have tried to sell it a little bit more, but he sort of did. I mean, he goes down, he hits the ground, so you know, there's some physicality on the play, but yeah, it's overall, I think it's just it was the right call. But you know, you can see why Pelicans see, well, that's automatically a foul because you know there was the sort of the connection there, but he gets it clean enough at the start, and great defensive played from Nikola jokicch.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know it's almost blue this game, right, They were up nine with like forty five seconds to go. Yeah, and it was nearly a tie game. You know, if Yokich doesn't recover there in time and take a swipe out it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even on that last play, right, that's the only reason that Pelicans have it, because Jokich with like an uncharacteristic turnover in the last ten seconds of the game. But great Cowley, I kin I actually forgot that. Stan Band Gundhy coached Shaquille O'Neil as well at one point. This guy's coached a lot of some solid bigs. The other thing I love from stan Ban Gundhy somebody asked him if he was gonna teach Zion how to flop. He says, I cannot imagine going to a player and telling him to start flopping. I can't imagine that's what you have to do. I could never bring myself to do that with the player. But what are you gonna do? Can you learn how to flop? Well?
Speaker 1: I mean a guy like Zion. I don't know if that's possible, but yeah, other guys, I think Ken, especially the smaller you are, I think the easier it is to sell that contact, like get out of here too, JG. I want to put this up here. Ingram should have taken that up, maybe get a foul call. He didn't want that moment. What the fuck are you talking about? Like he just gave it to a guy who's shooting like what seventy percent from the floor this year, like in a beautiful past. The defense collapsed a little bit. It's a nice play a boy yolkic to again take a swipe at it. I think he was like, well, screw this if I found my foul and at least it's not a layup. That's a nice play there from Ingram. Come on, you had me maybe up until that he didn't want that moment. Should have could have what Okay, I don't think from the moment there were you talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah I mean that, but that that is I think that is actually the right play from Ingram, because you can see he might have been like, maybe I want this moment, but instead he found his teammate who was rising up and it nearly paid off.
Speaker 1: Look again, like you know he could have taken a floater, Yeah, absolutely, and maybe would have hit it, sure, but he was shoveling it to a teammate who shoots like goddamn, like the highest percentage we've ever seen play a bad play, it's a great play.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I would have liked to see Denzel Valentine from Brandon right there, just pull up from thirty five feet. Why not let a rip.
Speaker 1: Our final sort of like games here, I'll lumpum together because it's the it's the hottest thing in sports right now. It's the race for the tenth seed. You know, nobody's talking about it and covering it like we are at no dunks. So last night, a few games and a few teams in the mix, of course, Julius Randall and the Knicks beat your Bulls tray one thirteen ninety four for their tenths, winning eleven games. Bulls are trying to get into the playing tournament, and meanwhile the Wizard's trying to hold onto that ten seed. While Beale and Westbrook bawling out again, they led their team, the Wizards pass the lebron less Lakers one sixteen one O seven TK. How you feeling about your Bulls chances here? With the Wizards winning, Bulls lost their what do you think?
Speaker 2: I hate to say it. The Knicks are more back than the Bulls. Yeah, and the race is over?
Speaker 1: Wow calling it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I don't know. The Wizards are playing too well right now. I can't believe I'm saying that the Wizards are playing too well right now. They've got the leading scorer in the NBA and the leading assist man in the NBA. This is ridiculous stuff. I did think it was interesting though, that ESPN flexed this Bulls Knicks game for Lakers Wizards, and then the NBA called in some refs to fix the game for the Knicks, thinking that nobody would see it. But I was watching, and I saw those dastardly Knicks hitting Daniel Tyson the face time and time again, something that Celtics fans literally warned me about. They're saying, daniel Tye is gonna get hit in the face all the time and he will never get foul calls. That's exactly what happened. I'm kidding. The Knicks bullied the Bulls completely in the fourth quarter. They really went to another gear defensively. The Bulls couldn't get it done with no Zach Lavine. Randall had eight in the fourth, quickly had eleven in the fourth. They were incredible. And guess what, I'm legitimately happy for all my Knicks fans friends, Jason Concepcion, Seth Rosenthal, Jack Settlement, and of course Lee Ellis watching that game last night, ma'am. It felt good in my heart. I can't deny it to you guys, seeing the Knicks have a starter out there that nobody wants starting. I loved it. Elfred Payton, You're the new Keith Bogans. Why are you starting all these games because Tom Thibodeau's there. I love that part too. Three huge parts of the twenty eleven Bulls in Thibbs Rose and obviously TODJ. Gibson, And of course I love seeing Julius Randall in the game taking threes with the Knicks up twenty and a minute and a half left. I was like the rudy guy, slow clap. I remember this, this is my kind of shit right here. I'm gonna have to take some lessons in how to become a Knicks fan because that was nice last night. I can't deny it. The Knicks are back and the Bulls are blowing it. I saw a stat they haven't been over five hundred in the past four seasons.
Speaker 1: Whoa, yeah, wow, yeah, so they've never actually been back at all.
Speaker 2: All time? When do you put it that way? Sense their back ski its I don't make pro sense. Still not bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very similar actually that Balls lost to the Next oddly to the Raptors losing to the Nets the night before there where it was like a coose game for three quarters they're in it and then like like the Next did to the Balls, the Nets did to the Raptors, put the clamps on them and just ran away in the fourth quarter. And it was like a bit of a dominant win there, and those two teams not looking good. Lely, your Bradley Beal is going to be on the playing tournament for you man. You must be happy. Yeah, I am.
Speaker 3: It is amazing watching the Wizards right now because they are kind of fun to watch, you know.
Speaker 1: They just get out and run.
Speaker 3: And that was going up against the Lakers team obviously no Lebron, but Davis played a heavy minutes and this was an important game.
Speaker 1: For them, and they stood up to the challenge.
Speaker 3: And last night was one of those nights where there's so many games on you just don't even know what sort of game to tune into because the Knicks Bulls was legitimately like, I want to watch this. I think this one, this one's going to be fun and and manual. Quickly, he's quickly becoming well, no pun intended there, but one of my fun favorite guys to watch it because he just gets.
Speaker 1: Out there and flings it. He doesn't care where.
Speaker 3: He is on the court, and he's got the you know, he's got the hype going as well, so I think he's going to quick again quickly become a fan favorite there of the Knicks because he just goes out there and believes in himself. You know, for a rookie, he's not afraid of the moment. He's not afraid of where he is on the court. If he's open, he's shooting it and it's going in. So that was great. But yeah, the Wizards, this is this is a big turnaround as well, because they were just so gross to watch earlier this season and it was like, be you're putting up just those Remember he went on that run where he's just putting up forty every night and they were losing it. It was like, what's the point? And now they're you know, playing at the right time, and they're going to be tough in that first playing round. You know, whoever they play, they're going to feel pretty confident again against because you know, you just have to play hard, and they do that right now, and they've got the two stars that are tough to defend.
Speaker 2: So this is this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know where it's gonna go for the Wizards, how this season's gonna win, but certainly Westbrook again another triple double being in that sort of like everyone's written us off, no one believes in us. Westbrook kind of loves that situation.
Speaker 1: So true.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know who they will face. I mean, it does change the take off.
Speaker 1: They'll they're likely going to play the Pacers if that stays a nine to ten games, So I think most people would take Washington the way they're playing right now, they're struggling, Yeah, exactly. So then the Wizards move on to then likely play the loser of like a Heat Hornets game. It could be still the Celtics in that game. Let's call it Heat Hornets. You know, let's say the Hornets lose that game. So yeah, Wizards Hornets to see who gets the eighth seeds. Again, I think most people would probably be backing Washington right now. You're right, Lee, like they might be one of the favorite teams to get from the play and turn it actually into the playoffs. Yeah, I think it's fair soough for sure.
Speaker 3: And then if we got Westbrook versus Hottening Durant in that first round, I mean.
Speaker 1: Right, I said that a couple of weeks ago. I was like, sign me up for that. I mean, it'd be at least a juicy storey lying to a one eight matchup. Yeah, yeah, at the very least. So all right, not looking good for the Bulls. Not looking good for my zombie Raps as they continue to sort of lose ground here on the Wizards. Well, I gotta hope at this point, Tray, that the Pacers just like keep losing from here on out.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's more likely, that's the most likely scenario at this point, But we might be seeing some crazy lineups on that May thirteenth game between the Raptors and Bulls. If both of them are locked in out of the play in tournament, Like, what are we going to be watching here? So literally it's going to be Ryan Archie Diakano versus Malachi Flynn. Just the one on one game.
Speaker 3: I love my stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, let's get to a little what you got brought to you by the Zebra.
Speaker 2: What's it?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Yeah? A little what you got again here brought to you by the Zebra. Sticking with like some of the games and storylines from last night. First one, guys, the Utah Jazz made twenty four to threes, bounced back from consecutive losses, set a franchise scoring record one fifty four to one oh five over the Kings, my goodness. And then we had Jaalen Brown scoring thirty eight, Tatum outing thirty five. Celtics rebounded from an embarrassing loss a night earlier with the one twenty one to eleven victory over the Hornet. So, Lee, what you got question is you know what was the better bounce back? When was it the Jazz or the Celtics.
Speaker 3: It's the Celtics for me, because they had a real embarrassing loss at home the night before against the thunder the team that just couldn't hasn't been able to beat anybody for months, it seems, so the Celtics had to sort of go out there last night.
Speaker 2: Against a good opponent.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the Hornets are shorthand at the moment though, Heyward know la mellow ball, but they got beaten by the Hornets just last week by twenty points, so this was kind of like a all right, we're got to go out there and show this team's better. Tatum came back, but then the Celtics actually lost Marcus Smart just before the game. He got suspended for apparently threatening a referee or abusing a referee, so they sort of were short hand a little bit there, but they came out in that first quarter build a big lead, a.
Speaker 1: Twenty point lead. Hornets made it a game, though.
Speaker 3: The Hornets got back into this one late in the fourth, but the Celtics closed it out, and yeah, you want you want to see your two all stars basically just say we're not losing this game, and that's what they did. Brown and Tatum were fantastic, and then the role players chipped in. So I think it's that one. I mean, the Jazz you know you can I don't think you can get to take a revenge game against the Kings, you know.
Speaker 1: Especially when they're short headed. Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, the Jazz I thought like their losses to the Wolves were actually like, you know, the Wolves.
Speaker 1: Played hard and played played well.
Speaker 3: So you know, putting up one hundred and fifty on the Kings is like, that's not fair. You've got to You've got to beat at least a reasonable opponent. So okay, yeah, Celtics for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the being town boys the better bounce back when Trey you agree.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, But I mean it honestly just comes down to the Kings having really bad timing with the Jazz having lost those two games against the timber Wolves and still having something to play for trying to keep that number one seed. So yeah, I mean shooting sixty four one hundred and fifty four points in regulation, Like, I don't know, the Kings scored a lot of points. I mean, you know, in today's game, one hundred and five isn't a ton, but you're still over one hundred and he's still almost lost by fifty. That's quite the bounce back. That's a big bounce back right there. So yeah, I mean, the Celtics obviously had a better win. They're obviously playing for something as well. But man, one hundred and fifty four points, that's.
Speaker 1: A lot of points. Yeah, it is a ton Matt Thomas, former Rappet players seven ver seven in that game, seventeen points in nine minutes. He got it up. He hit three threes, but everybody was scoring for Utah. But I'm with you, I think, you know, especially like Jayalen Brown had sort of like called out his team after that embarrassing loss to the Thunder and my godly he backed that up. Yeah, Like he came out and he out scored the Hornets in the first quarter. Didn't he have like twenty or twenty one points after the first twelve minutes and they had He single handedly had a lead over Charlotte, So that that was a good win. And you're right with with that late sort of Marcus smart scratch there for what he did. Good goodwin, good bounce back win. All right, our next one, I'm gonna show you a little footage here on the old stream team Bam getting the best of teenage mutant Ninja Purtle last night, dunking all over his head. And then we had really Hatchamura dunking on Anthony Davis on the fast break, popping them there in the face. So both big big dunks. Question is which one was the bigger dunk, Bam or Ruey Trey what you got?
Speaker 2: A lot of things the factor into this, Skeets, including the titles on the highlights. These come to you from MLG Highlights, a solid highlights channel. Bam detonated on Yakam Purdle like dynamite dunk versus Rui. Hachimura murders Anthony Davis with monster duck.
Speaker 1: That's a tough call right there.
Speaker 2: You're going with the dynamite dunk detonation or the monster dunk murder. You mentioned it there, Skeets, Ruey gets some points because he dunked on Anthony Davis. Pearl's no slouch at the rim, but Ad at all time great caliber of defender, still returning from injury, so maybe not at his key prowess, but nonetheless you're taking Ad as a defender over Peardle. I do think there's a little more ferocity for ruly Hatchamura, but I'm ultimately gonna go with Bam here because, as you said, Skeets, Ruey basically punches a d in the face as he's going up for this dunk, which makes it look awesome, especially the pictures of it, like Anthony Davis just flailing back, he's grabbing his nose afterwards, but not quite as clean of a dunk for Ruy. Bam is just straight up body to body with pearl up at the top, and then of course he simply detonates him with a dynamite dunk. So give me Bam a dynamite dunk from a guy named Bam. It's perfect.
Speaker 1: Okay, Lee, what you got Bama? RUI?
Speaker 3: Well, I think BAM's was probably a big a dunk. But Ruy gets Anthony Davis. I think that's one you want for the Harlot real spish because Davis is kind of, you know, hurt after the play. He's like that, it's it's like you got him and there was no fount.
Speaker 1: But it's like the fast Break variety posts. But you know it's not as it's not as crazy to me, I think Bam runs away with this.
Speaker 4: Nah.
Speaker 3: I think I think you've got to You've got to discount just the fact like Purdole isn't it isn't a bad defender. But it's just like who would rather have on your on your you know, on your on your list. You'd say, man, I smashed one over Anthony Davis. People, Oh wow, Anthony Davis.
Speaker 1: It's big, huge, it's big.
Speaker 3: But I would just rather have Anthony Davis on my You know, if you're like a hunter and you've got the heads up on the wall, you know, as a dunker, you've got the you've got the Anthony Davis trophy up there.
Speaker 1: So which which teenager and ninja turtle would you most like to dunk? Only if you had it's like to dunk on and they get their weapon.
Speaker 3: Wow, Raphael had those one of those. Yeah, Michelangelo had the nun chucks. Yeah, Leonardo the big sword, didn't he?
Speaker 1: And then Donna tell yeah the staff.
Speaker 3: I would say probably Leonardo because you know, I mean that's a that's a that's a blade that he's got there. So it's true, you know, I mean, because I think Donna Tella could just like sort of body you off with that.
Speaker 2: But cross check.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, in hockey, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if a guy's got an actual kind of machete and you're dunking over him, I think that that it takes some balls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, same question, though you can also include Bebop, rock Steady and Krang Casey's.
Speaker 2: Casey Jones might be the hardest to dunk on since he is wearing football pads and carrying a hockey stick at all times. That's gonna be tough. He's got a lot of reach and a lot of strength. I think it would be most fun to dunk on Raphael because he would be so pissed. Yeah, if you dunked on him, he would get up, probably stab you with a with a sigh, and then he's ejected and you got a ball against April O'Neil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Anthony Davis could have used the Casey Jones mask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah too.
Speaker 1: Ed he wasn't rocking that all right. That's a fun question for everybody in the stream team which teenage ninaternal character would most like the dunk on? You're only getting that stuff here from no dunk I'm telling you you're not seeing that anywhere else today.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's a perfect poll too, four options.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, our final one here. CJ. McCollum had twenty six points. Norman Powell out of twenty four helped the Blazers solidify their hold on the seventh place in the West one thirty one oh nine victory over the Grizzlies there last night. The win moves Portland two games ahead of Memphis, so they're still matched up in the playing tournament seven eight. But Portland's two games up on Memphis and San Antonio there and now just a half game back from the Dallas Mavericks, who are still in the sixth seeds. So I guess the question is here, who's going to avoid that play? Interny, who would you be putting money on to stay out of that seventh seed and keep the sixth seed is but the Mavericks or the Blazers trade what you got.
Speaker 2: I'm being a big time floppity flipper on this one because I was going Dallas as of last Thursday and Thursday nights, Porzingis rolls his ankle, so on Friday I went with Portland. But now the MAVs have gone two and one without Kristaps Porzingis. He's questionable for tonight's game. We'll see if he plays, but either way, it's not going to be long. So now I'm back on the MAVs. But it really comes back to the MVP ballot talk that we had yesterday on the whole of the season. Dame and Luca, I think, are having very similar years, similar stats, their team's records are the same, both teams have had a lot of players miss a lot of games. Their initials are even opposites LD and DL crazy stuffs. But it feels like Luca is peaking right now, whereas Dame looks like he's been carrying the Blazers for the entire season and he's just came back from a hamstring injury. Just looks like he's still rounding into form. Whereas Luca it feels like he's going to hit a game winner every single night, even though that's clearly not the case with what's happening. But it feels like the MAVs did a good job to survive with poor Zingis out for a little bit of time. Here, got a couple of wins. He's going to be coming back soon, which bodes well for the Mavericks as well. So I think it's Dallas, but you know, I reserve the rights to change my mind, new information, new decisions.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's close right now. I believe they have the same amount of wins Ley and the MAVs are maybe just a game short right now, you know, like they have one less loss. Yes, so who you going This is a tough question, But who's more likely to avoid it? And just say in the six seat Dallas, Sir Portland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well the Blazes have the tie breakout, which could be key in that in that matchup.
Speaker 1: But looking look safe in a hotel room.
Speaker 3: Looking at the schedule though, it clearly favors the Mavericks for me because they have a much easier schedule to got the Pistons, the Kings, the Cavs twice, they got the Raptors, and then they finish with the they finish with the Minnesota Timberwolves, whereas the Blazers have still got like Brooklyn, Boston, the Lakers, the Spurs, the Jazz, the Suns, and the Nuggets to close out. So now we know as well, like sometimes those last two or three games there's literally no one playing for teams. It just sort of depends on where they are in the standings and if they just want to get their guys a little bit a bit extra rest. But just looking at that, I would say that the MAVs have a more winning ball schedule, so I think they get in and I think that they avoid the play in which I believe was the question. Yes, I think the MAVs of all.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, look, I'm already getting like sort of like chills in trying to figure out who I'm going to be taking in like playoff matchups and like because we like, of course, like everybody, we're going to do like playoff previews and ultimately predictions and like, oh, team X and in four games, TEAMX in five games. Yes, it's like, I don't know. You start looking at some of these matchups already, and a big part of it, like let's be honest, is because the Lakers are so far down and then they're going to be adding Lebron and you're like you almost feel bad for the Nuggets. It's like so many of these matchups currently as is, and this is without even knowing some of the play in tournament winners getting in there for as the seventh and eight seat. It's like, I don't know, I think there's gonna be so many where you're like, I guess that'll probably go seven, and I have no clue I'll flip a coin on whether you know, just for example, like a Sun's Mavericks matchup or a Suns Blazer's matchup. For crying out loud, I think is very still tight, so I can't wait for it getting awful close. What are we two weeks away from? Basically not long the play in tournament and then and then the playoffs starting soon after that. Oh, very exciting stuff. Well what is that sound and we hear that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, something crazy by?
Speaker 3: Well there's a truck that drove by, But it wasn't I don't know, it didn't seem super weird.
Speaker 2: Old noticed in there.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it was. Let's hear from all of you guys out there, all your answers to those what you got questions? Leave them in the stream team we've been in the YouTube comments, or tweet them in at no dunks in Okay.
Speaker 4: Time for tweet to the night, Tweet out the night. Wow.
Speaker 2: Pretty simple tweet of the night for today. It comes to us from Tim Reynolds of the AP down in Miami. It's simply a picture of what may be the greatest misspelled jersey in NBA history, the Dwayne Deadman wearing the Miami Vice two tone jersey and it's spelled d ed m A and straight up dead Man this is awesome. Usually a misspelled jersey is just something that looks hilarious when you see it, like Andre Drummond with three m's or Eric beldsoe, yes, this is dead Man. This is awesome, like you're saying, skeets, this is straight up the Undertaker. These jerseys didn't get great reviews compared to the Miami Vice jerseys of the past couple of seasons, but this is a must have one. If you can actually get the Dwayne Deadman dead Man jersey, that would be major stuff because eventually he switched into a standard d ed m O N. I think for the second half, a straight up Dwayne Deadman jersey, but a dead Man jersey fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lee, what do you think of that? You like that better than the actual spelling is?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you just say just keep it like that from now on?
Speaker 1: I mean, why not?
Speaker 3: It suits those jerseys, and you know he's a sort of big intimidating guy as well, so you know, I think it fits his persona as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does he have any sort of WrestleMania streak going that we need to know about. I guess that one's done right for the actual Undertaker, I guess brock defeated that or snapped that right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think he was twenty one in zho at the time that brock Lesnar beat him, right, Which is pretty crazy because Dwayne Deadman wears number twenty one skits whoa the Undertaker. He literally needs to get his hands on this jersey, I think, because, like you're saying, League, Dwayne Deadman is big. He's seven feet two forty five is what he's listed at. The Undertaker is huge as well. He could wear this jersey. Yeah, Dwayne Deadman had to hook up the Undertaker's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Undertaker played hoops too, didn't he, like back in probably his high school days because he was a big dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, And I think you're exactly right. Him and Kevin Nash. Kevin Nash was like recruited in the same class as Magic Johnson or something like that, like Magic Johnson was the number one recruit in the nation and Kevin Nash was number two. Seriously, something crazy like that. Hey, in the seventies, if you were over seven feet tall. Yeah, you're gonna be getting basketball. Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see if we can get that jersey, that error jersey, into the hands of the actual Undertaker. Yeah, why not, that'd be that'd be a cool ass jersey for him to rock. Actually, totally, he could pull it off. Get back on his chopper, turn back into the American badass. Oh I love it. Okay, good tweet of the night. There a great catchup. You know it could have been in the running for Worst of the Week. Actually sometimes we do that. But tomorrow on the Drop podcast, we're getting rid of us a week because we're going long on the awards. I already teased this a couple of times. We're making all of our picks for the six major awards, MVP, Most Improved sixth Man, Rookie, Defensive Player of the Year, and everybody's favorite award, the Coach of the Year. That's right. So we'll make our picks for all those. Like I said, we'll even flush out the MVP pick. You know who is at the table, who's.
Speaker 3: In the final call for the table tomorrow.
Speaker 1: That's right, this be it. So we'll start doing that. But that stuff usually takes a while, so you know, we're just gonna like get rid of a couple of the other things that we sometimes have in the Drop podcast. Also, JD is like still trying to like basically flip a house over there. We're gonna start a little earlier tomorrow too, if you want to join us live at nine am Eastern on YouTube for the Drop Podcast. So yeah, NBA Award talk heavy stuff there tomorrow next week. By the way, we got a couple of guests lined up to join us here on the show. That'll be fun, all right. Pick them results brought to you by Bett MGM. You know, I swerved. I took the Hornets. I had to. Everybody else had Boston to win by eight or more. The line was seven and a half Celtic's favor and man, I thought I was just gonna maybe maybe maybe pull it out because there was a couple plays at the end. There was a dumb foul on Tata like they tried to trap and they did the whole thing anyway, Celtics just covered and I'm done. I have now lost two consecutive months. I'm eight and twelve Task finishes twelve and eight, Train and leate eleven and nine, So good on you, guys. I got too far behind. You just can't get behind in the pickup because then you start panicking and you do start swerving when you probably shouldn't. But that's what happened with me. And yeah, I've been garbage the last two months, so I owed two payoffs. There's some talk going around of just saving it till the postseason to you know, help us with content in the summer and really do something worthwhile. You know, I'm not gonna sit here and eat an Herby sandwich. Okay, I'm not doing that, Uh though I already did just chug a beer once as a pickup payoff. Also lame, also lame. We can do better, so we will. Uh, don't you worry? Won't be forgetting about these uh these losses and me having to pay it off. But if you have suggestions, let us know, write us in, email him, email him in, No dunkink athletic dot com, tweetm in and no dunk sinc. What I should do for any of these payoffs or do I just at this point guys would just take two sort of small payoffs and merge them into one like Mega payoff one giant. I mean that's a possibility to if we come up with something brutal. I think that might be fair. But again, a serious suggestions we won't make. We won't make any picks for tonight months basically over. We will do a short month for me. Well, we'll have like two weeks of action. I guess we don't do this in the playoffs in terms of the pick them, but we'll do it for the rest of the regular seasons. And maybe we'll just make that one because it's so short, like I don't know, some donation or something like that. We just got to pony up some dough to a good cause. So we'll come up with something like that. So don't you worry. We'll start it back up. He started me there, all right, sort of a quicker show. It's all good, everybody all right with that? Guys, goold, want to get out of here.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you want to just tap dance for thirteen minutes? Now, get it to an hour?
Speaker 1: Not really, We're gonna have a bit of a shorter one here. Again. Jad's very very busy.
Speaker 3: Hey, well, well we've got a little bit of talking about I saw interaction with Chris Hayes there too yesterday because after the tweet that I had saying about him and doctor Fauci talking to the trash to each other. So if anyone's got a contact for Chris Hayes and he wants to come on the show and talk his basketball talk, let him know, let.
Speaker 1: Him know, let us know it. Basically went back on Twitter saying like he's got you know, do you know how small thing he is? And he's got like sixty pounds on him, Like he's like too small, He's got.
Speaker 2: To kick the takes Fauji into the post banks in a banker runs back down doing the little stand thing. Too small, Fauji, too small.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I actually have a rapid fire question off of that tomorrow, Lely, So don't you worry. Okay, I think it'd be fun that if we can make that game actually happen. I'll tease it right now for you guys. You're hearing this question for the first time right here, this second. If they could play a game for charity, right, Hayes versus Fauci. Okay, that's the that's the main event. But let's say you guys were the undercard, which random celebrity, would you like to challenge to a game of one on one to sort of get us in the mood for that for that heavyweight one on one battle between Hayes and Fauti. So start thinking it over, everybody, start dropping your suggestions for these guys. I'll be asking Ley Trey and Task that on tomorrow's Drop podcast again nine am Eastern starts, so it'll get up in your podcast feed a little bit earlier than normal, as well as we do our NBA award picks and some rapid fire fun and all that. Please like comments, subscribe to No Dunks on YouTube. Email us your questions and comments for the next beat step in podcast No Dunks at the Athletic dot com, Tweet them in at No dung Sinc. I NC. Grab your No Dunks merchover at No dunks dot com and join us Tonight, yes, Thursday, April twenty ninth, for those keeping track for our first ever really NBA Happy Our Game night. There's no games on TNT tonight because there's some weird thing called the NFL Draft, So we're gonna we're gonna try something new here, maybe a little geo guesser, some sporkle quizzes, uh, some some pop and some packs. Who knows what else.
Speaker 2: It's funny you mentioned popping packs. I just came up with a new name for this that we could call what we're doing tonight game night. Everybody does it? What about game time?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: I don't mind that at all. Yeah, And when things get tight, it's crunched time at the end of the sport. This time is running out, all right, So join us tonight. That's nine pm Eastern live on YouTube. Guys, just subscribe to us on new YouTube so you know when we're going live. You get that little notification button. You're told when we're going live. That'll be fun. We'll see it then. Uh clipper bros. You heard it here first.
Speaker 2: Have a great time, turn up. Love you guys, awesome, Thanks for joining us. Sam. Remember Willie Nelson once smoked weed on the roof of the White House with the President's son. That's a true story. Happy birthday, Willie Nelson.
Speaker 1: Happy birthday to my father in law higas well. Brace the day people. You could stay ooo every day.
Speaker 4: And Daggy happy every minute.
Speaker 1: It's been so long that your dolna waiting for.
Speaker 4: Its happened already it's
Speaker 1: Gonna be Grevy.