Speaker 1: Media.
Speaker 2: Well, so Foo, where you votos from me? A sock chack.
Speaker 1: Homie today this episode, I don't know if I'll relate to anything more closer than the narrative of this story, Bogle, like a A l Vato vaio. This is full el president el helfe bougere bg that food down to the ground day he out here sock checking food. Sock check Homie. You don't know what a sock check is. You don't know enough aboutos. This is the El Salvador episode about President Bugle, because there's this is the convergence, the literal convergence of gang life and politics. The parallel was in my life one the things that I personally experienced because the origin story of this was here La specifically the part of l A that I was around, y'all know, I'll talk about all the time I grew up with Vatos.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: I've never felt more equipped to talk about a topic than this was. And even what he what we're actually gonna talk about later on in the show is like it was he it was the nineties like this was. I've never felt more equip talk about it anyway, b Ga said, soft check homie hood politics, no, no, no, no, no, you know what los politicos thevidio and Okay, when diamel if I saw a kik cricket. Listen in this episode on some r Lebau call in our a, I want to send and dedicate this song through Mayavado creeper.
Speaker 2: Keep your head up. I am your puppet and your baby side ice. She will always stay down for you.
Speaker 1: And then you play the song. I wish y'all knew about the r Lebaul call in hour. It was he just passed away. And this white man became such an important part to La street culture, uh specifically Latino culture because he would play like oldies, these like old soul songs and foods, would call in and dedicate songs to like their loved ones, and most of the time it be loved ones they had locked up. It's a very La thing. Rest in peace, Arlebau. This episode of her Politics, we have to talk about that. We have to talk about else by Lord and President Buglee and it's there is a layer of complication that I want to lay out. But you gotta understand the history and the context and why I feel so connected to this early nineties, there was a civil.
Speaker 2: War that news flashed.
Speaker 1: America played a big role in having to do with El Salvador had a gentry, wealthy landowners who essentially.
Speaker 2: Ran the country and.
Speaker 1: Was the government was just like basically their toys. America played a role in this, which again needs its whole other topic. But all that to say that started bringing El Salvadorans fleeing El Salvador, some getting exiled, some getting deported, some fleeing to America. And where they came was MacArthur Park. MacArthur Park is now let me talk Gentrified CALLI to try to tie this up for you. First of all, MacArthur Park was where the radiotron existed, like if you remember the movies Breaking and Breaking to Electric Boogaloo. It was the first like early eighties hip hop spot was at the radio tron, and the radio tron was a MacArthur Park. Later on, MacArthur Park, because of like I said, what was going on in our society, became the hub of the El Salvadorian community.
Speaker 2: They landed right in the.
Speaker 1: Area next to Pico Union, which is right next to Echo Park, and then and then to the east of them is like downtown La Downtown La has my child. It was basically a no man's land like it's. It was like Blade Runner over there until La Live and all that stuff, and then it got all hit. But before that, nobody went to downtown La. But east of it, I mean, but west of it. You know, you would have, like I said, you have MacArthur Park, Wiltshire District, Korea Town.
Speaker 2: All of that was going west.
Speaker 1: So that's like kind of north of Like I said, I am from originally south Central. This is on north of the ten free separates north and south, and then the one ten Freeway separates east and west. So this is northwest of downtown.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Next to that is Peaco Union, which is liam Vato Land. North of them is Echo Park. You remember the movie. You probably don't remember the movie, but me via Loka. Echo Park now is where you could do goat yoga because it's completely gentrified, right next to historic Filipino Town, which was like also these were these were gang territories that were already organized, borders were set, everybody knew what it was.
Speaker 2: Cement was settled. The Salvadorians came here, and the sense is what's.
Speaker 1: So different about My wife brought this up what's so different about the Asian It's I hate saying it like this, but the Asian experience and the Latino experience is and my wife has made this mistake before.
Speaker 2: You. The more you hang around.
Speaker 1: Asian people, you could tell they you could tell they don't look alike like and but they all have their same language, they all have their they all have different languages Korean, Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin. So because Asia wasn't colonized in the way that Central in South America was, they all speak Spanish, right, so there's a shared give or takes some Portuguese. There's a shared like language among the Latino diaspora. You know, give or take a few indigenous folks, but they all speak Spanish. And you could take the most hardened, the most Azilain Mexicano and they can't tell you the difference. They can't look at the no Salvadorian coast Rican and look at them and say they You can't tell by their look.
Speaker 2: You're gonna tell a boy their accent and when.
Speaker 1: They tell you, unless there are certain telltale signs. There are certain characteristics, certain ways you carry yourself, a certain way. You understand that are culturally because these are in fact different countries and different cultures.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, but when they got here, y'all all spoke spanon. Now, by the time they got here, you have to remember the Mexican American. First of all, there was such thing as a Mexican a Chicano. We didn't already have Chikano movie. We didn't have the Zutsu Riots, we didn't have the Brown Berets like they have established themselves as a part of America for decades, because remember California was Mexico, so they've been here.
Speaker 2: Now as far as.
Speaker 1: The street life, these rules are already established.
Speaker 2: There was already a gang in MacArthur Park.
Speaker 1: It's eighteenth Street b Seolcho like one of the most notorious street gangs in their world.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The difference though, between crips and bloods and Black gang banging and the Mexican gang banging is there's a set hierarchy everyone you liam runs it, which is the Mexican mafia, the prison thing. They they run the shit. Now it might be different now, you know what I'm saying, because not in that life, but the general understanding is, no matter what you guys are doing on the streets. Everybody pays like twenty because that's how the product gets here. The coyotes comany bringing away from Mexico, you tap in with the mafia. The Mexican mafia. They run it righthend comes through the jail, they call the shots. There's a hierarchy. You don't kill nobody unless you get the word. It's much more like a mafia. The street warshit is like, of course it happens, of course because you get hot heads.
Speaker 2: But like they not like cribs and blood we are.
Speaker 1: They have a corporate structure, if you will. And black folks, we bought our drugs from the Mexican You bought our drugs from the essays from you know, if you was back east, you say from the Spanish dudes, that's who you bought it from.
Speaker 2: Paco. Paco. Paco got you to wait when the El Salvadorians got here. There is you have to.
Speaker 1: Remember among the Latino community, there is a little bit of anti this and that sentiment among each other. Mexicans traditionally don't really get along with El Salvadorians. The matter of fact, there's like some prejudice there that like don't really they don't really mess with them. They have like derogatory names for Salvadorians, you know, in the same way that now listen, I'm not saying this in on the eye horse, and same way black people have about Africa, the same way Caribbeans. Caribbean people have about Africans, the way Africans have about American black people, like we have our own self hate in the community. They don't necessarily get along. So you got people who were fighting in a civil war in El Salvador against each other. Once they get here, oh we arm in arm we all we got. See that's how the immigrant population work. When you get to a place and you realize like, oh shit, were the only ones that don't we all we.
Speaker 2: Got is up us?
Speaker 1: And you jump into a place that is so racially charged as is America as a whole, let alone California. And when they got here in the nineties, this is this is the height when they got here. So you landed in a place that was already violent, with an already established rules where even your own RASA doesn't they not even messing with you. So they was like, well shit, they formed their own hood and mess thirteen Maltruca. So they formed their own gang and the difference between them, at least from our perspective, or as in black people saffence between them and like the Vathos we were used to. The vatos we were used to again, they had a code and we was in business together. You stayed at a turf, We stayed at a turf. They stay at ours. Like I kid you not the city I live in now. I never came here. We black people, we were not allowed. I just and it was understood. This was they hood. You. You better lead them vothos alone. They take that shit like I was seen as a threat. They took it very silly. I came over here for a few parties and learned quickly I'm not welcome over here. The only person black people over here in this city was Will I Am because he was born in this part of town. But fam we didn't come. And as far as like the street stuff, it was just understood this was their world. We were in business together. How was we supposed to know the difference between a Mexican and an El Salvadorian, which created an issue.
Speaker 2: We was in business, but I can't tell the difference.
Speaker 1: You beefed in jail like the war and shit happened in jail, the turf wars, the street shit that happened. But like Cris was more worried about other black people, was more worried about other cribsets, other bloods.
Speaker 2: We was more worried about that. Bothos.
Speaker 1: You just left them alone, like you on, won't fuck with them. They had their own shit, and whenever we clashes, it was bad.
Speaker 2: I mean bad.
Speaker 1: Long Beach probably got it the worst. Essentially, we antouldn't do with that. That's y'all shit. We as in black people until it came to business because off Salvador figured out, well, for Columbia to get to Mexico, you got to go throughout Salvador, and they figured out black people can't tell the difference between us. You insert yourself in the supply chain. All you know is Wan Carlo pulled up with the weight, and then Miguel Rodriguez pulled up and he like, I got your weight.
Speaker 2: You like what nigga got?
Speaker 1: You already bought it, bought it from who, I don't know, your homeboy one cars nigga, I don't know. So then now Mexican's mad at us because they feel like we cheating and through y'all just walked off with a couple hundred bands. And now they beefing, they like, and now they mad at Now they mad at the Mexicans, and now that's they thing.
Speaker 2: We like. I mean, nigga, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Like y'all get y'all, y'all aught the same to us, nigga racism, But it became a thing like MS thirteen put they and they were so terrifying, and niggas walked.
Speaker 2: Around with machetes.
Speaker 1: I'm not kidding machetes, but that's because yeah, in Central America, that's pretty normal, you know what I'm saying, Like you cutting down trees number one.
Speaker 2: And then number two.
Speaker 1: Like I said, the difference between I didn't get to this point, but the difference between the two was.
Speaker 2: Like like I said, the Vathos were.
Speaker 1: They was very organized, they had they had a corporate way of running things. Salvadorians were brawlers, they were machette just the level of I cannot stress the MS thirteen vio. I know there's a lot of like political propaganda, fun intended all this extras that they be putting on it because they doing it because they're racist. I'm doing it because I was here. Fam Man Truca MS thirteen stayed a hell out they way and thirteen different is Sawdeniel like different than Northaniel, which.
Speaker 2: Is like which was Thoris.
Speaker 1: It's or they got there, they got their rules, like the Latinos got their rules.
Speaker 2: It's a little different.
Speaker 1: But Thrucha MS thirteen they had something to prove because it was so few of them, and you stepping into a system that like there's no work, there's no help. They just realized that, like, oh shit, America's racist. You just think I'm They've probably been called they were called Mexican probably everywhere they went, you know what I'm saying. So for them, they was like, I mean, what are we supposed to do? And these as kids who was fighting in civil wars you know when you come from a war torn third world country. That's why, like didn't nobody mess with the Cambodians, didn't buy mess with them Micronesian, you know what I'm saying. And like when the Asian gang started coming over here, it was like Nigga, they fight armies, so like their level of violence is so different than ours, Like it's violent, but it's like.
Speaker 2: Oh, fam they used to fight in military.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Marua like it was like Soword Machetty broad daylight like they just were the I cannot under I can't overstate how violent.
Speaker 2: They were as a gang. Bad Okay.
Speaker 1: Now what happened next was the Great Deportation. When the war on drugs and the gang injunction started happening in California, food started to get deported. Now we were being black people was facing mass incarceration. A lot of the Mexicans were facing mass incarceration because we live here, we were, we're you know, multi generational, we've been here for ever. If you get deported, nigga, you get deported. And they was dropping them out, Salvadorians off by the bus.
Speaker 2: Back.
Speaker 1: You think deportation is crazy. Now they was rounding them niggas up and sending them home. Then Vothos was getting sent home full and where and what they did when they got home was exactly what what happened with black people when they got sent off to live with their aunties in the South.
Speaker 2: Explain that after this breath, all right, we're back. I have.
Speaker 1: Very distinct memories of because I'm a because I'm an old being on three way on the phone with you know a little girls. I was trying to hog ad in some of the homies. Whatever we would be asking about one of the friends that we just ain't seen in a while. I think I may have told this story before on the show, but like this was a normal interaction where we would be like, am I.
Speaker 2: Seeing Andre Andre?
Speaker 1: And Andre went to go spend the summer in Arkansas or Memphis or Atlanta with his auntie or he had to go live with his grandma and then he'd have to stay why because he was getting in trouble. Once you hit age of recruitment out here, your best bet, a lot of families decided they would just send they boys away, go live with your auntie. It's too violent out here, right, You starting to make bad decisions, man, They gonna like you're gonna go out there worked in fields and really realize what's going on. You get sent to Oklahoma, You get sent to all these hot bets, Okay, see Tasa, all these cities where before the Great Migration where we came from, we got sent back to stay with the aunties. Now we would have it also like the Latino Homies. It would be more like they'd have to go work. It would be the middle of the year and they'd have to go to Mexico to work with their grandpa. Then they would be back. You know what I'm saying. But you just had to go work a field, and you just had to go back. They needed money. You're a THEA needs money, so you have to go down there at work. That's just what it was with us, though I can say distinctly purposefully, we were sent off to try to avoid the gang life. And for us out here in Cali, that person would cease to exist, like they would just fall oft the phase of the earth. I don't really a it's just it's done, like you just never think about them again, like they were gone. And I never connected the dots because in Kansas City there's a neighborhood crypt there's a Rolling Sixties gang. There's neighborhood in ok See, in Tulsa there's Bloods, There's all these neighborhoods. There's all these hoods to playboy gangsters, all these sixties twenty these photies, all these things that are named after actual streets. In California, it's called Rolling Sixties because that's they were in the sixtieth blocks, you know, said, and then you'd find them in and I, for the life of me, could not understand, like why y'all got gangs named after California streets. Nigga, it's the kids that got sent off when we was in middle school. They just went there and got it cracking and started creating sets in their neighbor and they could run.
Speaker 2: You'd run. You were kings.
Speaker 1: You came from this place where you learned all the game, everything you needed to do because you had to survive where you were.
Speaker 2: You just went out there and you just ruled the world.
Speaker 1: They had it appen on a microcosm in America, in California suburbs. Yo, yo, yo, Mama, get a house, you get a tax return, you move out to the burbs, or you like, oh, I'm gonna run this, do you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Until somebody else's family from Long Beach or something get get a tax return, they go out there and then and that nigga, just as thorough as you are, Like, uh, now, we got issues, but it was such a normal occurrences. I remember that there was a documentary in the Knights called Banging in Little Rock. Could not wrap my main or my mind around Little Rock, Arkansas having gangs until at a full grown adult, I was like, oh yeah, we exported it. We would get sent off. And then they didn't fall off the face of the earth. They lived there and started hoods.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I ever thought about that.
Speaker 1: That's what happened else Aalvador. They went out there and they got active. And when they got active, you have to remember they got active without any constraints of any cribs, bloods, or any other or any other cholos. May eighteen Street. Nobody was over there. Florence thirteen, Nobody was there. It was they world and they world.
Speaker 2: It was good. God. They went out there sot checking foods left and right. And here's the thing. I'm not even going saying what a sock check is?
Speaker 1: Sock check on me because if you know, you know thusave I know how counterintuitive this sounds, but in some ways, when there's no system of checks and balances, even among gang life, you think the violence happens, of course because of like rivalries and stuff like that. But if there's no system and you can just run the thing, then the lick becomes just the people like you're just the citizens because there's no time the gang wars evolved because somebody is gonna be like, well, I don't have to just listen to you, nigga, I live over here. It can make this my neighborhood, right, somebody else get deported from five years later and they start their own set. But before that, it's like the people that live there become your playing field and they're not inoculated.
Speaker 2: They don't have the germs.
Speaker 1: They don't have the germs, they don't have the white blood cells to be able to inoculate themselves to defend themselves in any way, because that's this isn't what they're This isn't the types of diseases they're used to.
Speaker 2: This gang shit.
Speaker 1: The gang shit in El Salvador was born in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Like it's not, it's not local grown. It was born in La.
Speaker 1: So it's not they're not used to they don't have you don't have the immune system for that. So the influols was running them streets, I mean running them like I mean you put La Chicago, Atlanta just wrap it all in one.
Speaker 2: Was run in them streets. It was bro because milk we myly.
Speaker 1: Just like bad. Now, it's funny me doing this because I'm using all like mexicanslag it was just like I mean, you called me on it, of course, but like bro, it was through child's like I thought you wouln't believe what they saw anyway, it was bad. I can relate to the feelings of feeling like you're this is an open air prison, like you're you're held hostage in your own neighborhood. I can personally relate to that, like rules were very clear. There's parts of neighborhoo that you just don't go to. It's grocery stores, directions walking home like you have to walk home a whole other route. There's family members you can't go visit because it's like you ain't allowed in that hood. Man, y'all think I'm exaggerating, Like man, I need to bring somebody else on this show, like who lived through this that can avouch for what I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: When I tell you you could not go to certain areas, it's like you you could not go. It's what do you mean you can't go? It's a free country. I'm allowed to go. Okay, try it. Go ahead, drive over there. See what happens.
Speaker 1: I personally had family that lived in Compton that I didn't visit until they left Compton, and it we weren't allowed over there. And now Salvador is living through this until this young gen z Cuspo millennial comes and starts socks checking foods. All right, all right, now we're gonna get to the meat of this after this break.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back.
Speaker 1: Sock jack, homie, the higher the sides, the down there, the food A brad lame, big Jack LEVI never snitch on your homies and respect your head.
Speaker 2: I keep it through chin all right anyway, all right, dog, So.
Speaker 1: This gen z cusp for millennial naimbu Gele, upper middle class dude, Palestinian immigrant moves over to a Salvador with his family, gets his start around thirty years old.
Speaker 2: And he was a publicist.
Speaker 1: Right, so you're talking about a dude gets on the camera, hat to the back, young understands social media, knows how to talk that talk, understands TikTok.
Speaker 2: Like just next generation.
Speaker 1: The guy for now decides to get into politics, becomes the mayor of a small town you know on the outskirts. Eventually becomes the mayor of the capital city, San Salvador, and then runs for president in twenty eighteen. And when he runs for president, you gotta remember again he a young buck. You got this like the literal.
Speaker 2: Opposite problem of what we got in America.
Speaker 1: What John Stewart say Man needs to have set the record for being the oldest two people that ever run for president, only breaking the record by four years set by them four years ago. Just didn't gay the opposite. Young buck, right, new blood understands the world. You know. He was educated in a bilingual school, so he come from like I said, like not poverty, not well, just middle class, upper middle class educated, you know. And he real slick and he runs being like nigga, I'm different, I'm stop checking foods. I'm tired of this shit, okay. And this is when the story becomes super familiar. Y'all don't know about the New York street sweepers, and for Cali, the gang injunctions, and the gang injunctions kind of work like this, like you get if if it was if you was black and brown, you were standing on a corner and it was molding more than one of y'all, it's a gang. If y'all had matching shoes, matching whatever it is. You're in a gang according to the law. So they would run up on you, and you know, it would move from like loitering again to gang activity because what was happening was so intense in la like the police, as corrupt as they might have been, or as desperate as the community might have been. If you got swept if you got swept up, you got swept up, they didn't ask questions, they didn't look. If it was two of y'all, it's a gang. You could be like, dude, we're nerdy as hell. Y'all a gang if if they if they if they recognized a jersey, a street, a jersey you were wearing, Like if you just happen to be wearing a Dolphins jersey. All, that's Third Street, you all, I'm saying, like, or that's twelfth Street, like you down there, you down there in Pomona, like you, you know what I'm saying, Like you was with them, you feel me like you They no matter what a tattoo, a street name, whatever it is, if it was something that they could recognize as a gang thing, no questions asked. You getting swept up, you going into the paddy wagon. Right, it was a gang injunctions, right, you would get a gang uptick. Like for example, if let's just say you know you you you know you did breaking an entering, just some sort of like or some sort of petty crime like your grand theft aught or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 2: Right, you was just joy writing.
Speaker 1: If they could tie you to a known gang, that crime would get what's called a gang uptick, meaning it's an extra five or it or the act becomes a felony. A misdemeanor can become a felony because of the gang uptick. Right.
Speaker 2: A lot of times what would happen.
Speaker 1: Is kids would just be regular ask kids, you know what I'm saying, Maybe maybe admitting you know, petty crimes here and there, just trying to be cool with the homies. You go to jail, you go to juvie, and you joined a gang in juvie. Right, So it created a bigger problem, you understand what I'm saying. In New York, they would have a street sweepers. Again, like if you was just if you were standing outside and it was more than y'all everybody getting swept up. I'm not asking no questions. Where we are cleaning up our streets. Now, that was us as black and brown boys being the being the victims of this. On the other hand, we were also victims of the violence. I said it, I said it so many times, and I'm gonna say it again in this In this episode, I cannot stress enough how wild the streets were, the like we were held hostage. Like in a lot of ways, I could say we were both. I said it on the song Gentrify, on my own record, we were both guilty and victims, like because the the roving hordes of violent youth that was holding us hostage were us. They were our friends, those were our cousins, and and part of it was because you needed protection from the other roving violent hordes of dude, you know what I'm saying, Like it was us.
Speaker 2: It's complicated.
Speaker 1: So the old ladies who can't go to their neighborhood liquor store, you understand what I'm saying. The people that was causing that problem was they sons, was they grandchildren or they friends' grandchildren.
Speaker 2: So if you came home, you was just like Meho, I can't even go to the store. No more fools will be like you. Somebody tell you.
Speaker 1: Somebody tell yo, y'all, Well, like yo, grandma telling you she getting sweated at the store. Oh, nigga is up, You're not funa sweat my Oh. So it's like we were you we were held hostage. You don't go to the police because they just another gang. Like I said, they sweeping us up and throwing us into jail.
Speaker 2: Ain't not asking questions.
Speaker 1: Well, Gailey ran on this idea that like El Salvador, you're you're under and in a lot of ways, it's true, you're under an occupation. The occupation is just these fiftas of gangs. Y'all, y'all under occupation. He like, I'm gonna clean this shit up. I'm not asking questions.
Speaker 2: You can't. You can't.
Speaker 1: You can't play games with these people. You have to demoralize them. And as the people of El Salvador, they like, I'm tired of this shit. You right, like, we're tired of this. This man know how to talk. He young, did sexy and he talked that talk. He like, look, I'm not afraid of y'all gangsters. I'm gangster too, Nigga like, I'm I'm with the shits. You need to hire somebody you need to elect, somebody that's with the shits, and with the shits he was, and within two years this man absolutely decimated. I'm talking about the fact that, like you know, how like we talkalk about like the Mob and the Sopranos and shit like that, how it's like this is nothing like it used to be. Of course it exists in of course the mob exists, but not like it did. The mob got decimated. Like while I'm talking that, he absolutely destroyed the El Salvador and a lot of times look on once. This is why this is a hood politics episode, because on one side of this, on one side of the corner, you're like, good, nigga, we're free. Man.
Speaker 2: Fuck y'all.
Speaker 1: Out here extorting our grandma's like killing your own people, dividing this city up. Man, we held a hostage, like nah, man, I got no love for y'all. You know what I'm saying, Like you could, like you can you pointing out people like I done, lost friends, family, cousins, sisters, brothers. You understand I'm saying, like I'm trying to open a stupid little pin, Nadia, right, you understand what I'm saying. You taking sixty percent of my like, nah, I got no, it's no love lost. He would he would have had in boys like look like dehumanizing them and the attitude is what they dehumanized us.
Speaker 2: You have them, have them lined up in the in the jail and they draws tied up one by one, being like, look now now, who the g now? Who the dawn? You laying out here in your draws? You're trying to like, Nah, fam, we not playing this shit no more.
Speaker 1: Y'all are done. Fuck you and what you're going through. You know what I'm saying, Fuck your dad homies, Like I don't give a shit about none of y'all.
Speaker 2: You didn't y'all, y'all been terrorizing us too long. I'm done.
Speaker 1: And on one hand, it's like Nigga finally right in some senses, like look, I'm a slap of Nazi. I'm a slap of Nazi in the face type dude, Like, I get it. Sometimes you gotta shut this shit down, you feel me. And the only way to talk to somebody that's violent is with violence.
Speaker 2: I get it. I'm not a pacifist. And how do you respond to people that got no code? You?
Speaker 1: Like, are you worried? About the moral high ground, Like is that really what we're worried about. It's like niggas is dying in the streets this like this is I'm tired of this shit. Y'all killing each other and we're all and we're dying too. Like it'd be one thing if it was just y'all shooting at each other.
Speaker 2: But even if it's y'all, y'all is us.
Speaker 1: You are, these are our sons, these are our daughters, yourself saying so like there's no separation between.
Speaker 2: Them and us. They are us.
Speaker 1: But this shit needs to stop, bro, And he was like, give me two years, and he did it. Now, on the other hand, the question is about how. And again this is why I relate to it. He was dudes would get wrapped up with no due and like with the you couldn't whether you was involved affiliated or not. They're like, we'll sort them out later. So it's stories all over El Salvador of people being like I haven't seen my nephew ever since the cops picked them up. They just make up charges and they hold them without due process. They're not telling them what's going on. And and if you just get caught up, you get caught up. Whether you have an affiliation or not, it don't matter. They're like, we'll figure it out later when you're cleaning the streets with the power with the super soaker, you know what I'm saying, Like they're just getting the biggest net possible and and just swooping everybody out of the streets and being like, look, it's clean, and if you get caught up, you get caught up. He has not shown any concern in whether somebody gets accidentally swooped up into this or not. You shouldn't have been over there, that's the attitude. You shouldn't have been outside. And even if you not involved, I know you know somebody that's involved, your brother involved, your cousin involved. It's impossible. It's like, and that is another thing that I get. If you swept me up. I don't gang bang at all. I'm not affiliated all. Matter of fact, I'm running from these niggas. But if you swept me up and ask me if I know activity, I'm like, well, absolutely, of course I do. Listen, this is these were the rules. If you get swept up, let's just say you get involved. You know, they got your little tattoos on file. Because that's what they do to take pictures of your tattoos. They see you got a tattoo that matches some other stuff. Now you involved in that hood. Right, Let's just say you get out on probation or you out on parole. Part of the rules for your probation or your parole is you cannot associate with any known gang activity, any known gang of afiliates.
Speaker 2: The problem is you're sending me back to my house and you're like, well, it's my father.
Speaker 1: Is known gang, my my physical brother, like my first cousin, my auntie, Like I live at the kickback. So even if I'm trying to like this just where I live, I like, even if I all want to be a part of this, like this is just where I live.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know what I'm supposed to say.
Speaker 1: If the pop Post see you, they let's say they run a raid or they pull somebody over whatever in your neighborhood.
Speaker 2: They see you over there, you done broke your probation rules. Now you're going back.
Speaker 1: It's people in El Salvador that feel like, we don't know if this solution is worth to squeeze the juice is worth to squeeze. It's like, you have a rodent problem and the solution that the exterminator brings is a bomb. He's like, well, clear, clear, I killed all the rodents. And it's like, but you you blew up the house. Well all my plants are dead too, and so is our pet. Like you.
Speaker 2: Like, but the rodents are gone. What do you say to that? Well?
Speaker 1: You know what else out of doors said is it's the cost of play because they re elected him. And when you do people a favor like that, especially if you're not afraid of taking the blowbacks. It's like I said, it's family members that still ain't seen They family members. It's been three years. They just swooped them up and they're like you he in jail now, no no court case, no charge. It's just you a part of the gangs, like nigga. No I'm not, Yes, you are.
Speaker 2: That. There's cases like that all over O Salvador.
Speaker 1: So then the people, the people believe in you, and and what do you do this for you? I did this for the said, I did it for the hood. I did it for Al Salvador. You can declare a sort of martial law in a way that says you want me to clean these streets up. You gotta let me not worry about y'all's human and individual rights right now. And some of the pushback with this bro is like, that's a that's a creep towards fascism because you're getting the job done for for the fatherland.
Speaker 2: At all costs. And what you're gonna what y'all gonna say, I cleaned your streets up? You wanna go back?
Speaker 1: You ain't like my ways, that my ways worked, And I mean, why would you say anything to him if you know that you can get caught up in his dragnet?
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was the lapd for us. Look, you get caught up, you got If you get caught up, you get caught up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: And of course we fought back against police brutality and stuff like that. But granted, this isn't Los Angeles, is not the nation of El Salvador. It's not necessarily one to one. But what I'm saying is I understand the complications.
Speaker 2: I have no love for for the beasts, of course, but I will tell you this. I currently live in a part of town I wasn't allowed to even visit that's kind of nice, so we'll see either way, Gayle said.
Speaker 1: Jeflevi Los Politicos all Man, All right, now, don't you hit stop on this pod. You better listen to these credits. I need you to finish this thing so I can get the download numbers. Okay, so don't stop it yet, but listen. This was recorded in East Lost boil Heights by your boy Propaganda.
Speaker 2: Tap in with me at prop hip hop dot com.
Speaker 1: If you're in the Coldbrew coffee we got terraform Coldbrew. You can go there dot com and use promo code hood get twenty percent off get yourself some coffee. This was mixed, edited and mastered by your boy Matt Alsowski killing the Beast Softly. Check out his website Mattowsowski dot com. I'm'a spell it for you because I know M A T T O S O W s ki dot com Matthowsowski dot com. He got more music and stuff like that on there, so gonna check out. The heat Politics is a member of cool Zone Media, executive produced by Sophie Lichterman, part of the iHeartMedia podcast network. Your theme music and scoring is also by the One and Noble Mattawsowski still killing the beat softly, so listen. Don't let nobody lie to you. If you understand urban living, you understand politics. These people is not smarter than you. We'll see y'all next week.