Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number three ninety six of the Marine Layer Podcast. We welcome on our friend and recurring guest, Peter Apple of Just Baseball. We talk about the start of the twenty twenty six Mariners season, what the Mariner should do with the rotation going forward, and a whole lot more. We'll also react to the Mariners splitting the first two games in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Reminder of you, guys, before we start these episodes, just make sure you do us a favor. Go download these podcasts if you're listening on the audio side, and then go rate and review five stars. It really helps if you do same idea over on YouTube, go like, drop a comment and make sure to go hit that subscribe button if you're watching the video podcast and hey, then you get to see the two of us while you're watching these things. You can also check us out on our website marine layerpod dot com. All of our podcast merches there. Go get yourself some merch. You can find our Patreon there, All of our episodes are there. That's at marine layerpod dot com, and then you can find us everywhere across social media at marine layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome you to this episode of The Marine Layer podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, recording here on Tuesday evening, April twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Let me know if you've heard this one before.
Speaker 1: Lyle Mariners lose to left handed pitcher, Mariners beat right handed pitcher.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't logics say the other it should have happened the other way around, because it should have, despite the Mariners struggling against lefties all year so far. You lose and get in a way carved up by a dude making a second ever big league star who's not some blue chip prospect, and then you beat Joe Ryan. Dude, Baseball is so dumb in that way. Doesn't make any sense. It's dumb. There's no logic, but that's how it happens.
Speaker 1: The baseball gods have just not intended the Mariners to be good against left handed pitchers, no matter the stature, apparently just Matthew Libertor.
Speaker 2: But then you beat Joe Ryan, Yeah, because he's a righty, really really good righty.
Speaker 1: And they didn't even really beat Joe Ryan. They scored the two runs when he was out of the game, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They did. He is really tough to go against man, And if you want to know what it looks like for the opposition to go up against Brian Wu. I think it's pretty similar when the Mariners have to see Joe Ryan or other teams have to see Joe Ryan, because that same low slot, it's the same high rise on the fastball. If you want to sound smart with your baseball friends, what they call it inside baseball clubhouses is upshoot. When you have the fastball rise, they call it the upshoot fastball. They say the rises upshoot. But yes, Joe Ryant's really hard to go against, and then he's got secondaries that are just nuts. But the Mariners, you know what, they scratched enough across against them to then get to the bullpen and hammer the bullpen.
Speaker 1: And it was amazing to see from the bullpen. We saw a number of things like late in this game. Number one, for the seemingly the first time this season, we saw Dan leave Luke Rayley inst to lefty. The Twins brought a lefty in specifically against Luke Rayley, and Dan left him in the game. Luke Rayley didn't do any damage because Luke can't really hit lefties, but the Mariner still ended up scoring and then Raley came around again in the lineup later in the game and hit against the righty.
Speaker 3: So this is an example right here.
Speaker 1: While it didn't like work out in that specific a bat for Luke Rayley, he did get an opportunity an inning later against a righty in a situation with runners on.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately he just struck out in that opportunity evolution.
Speaker 2: Perhaps has Dan been radicalized next on Undisputed.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a great question. I hope someone asked him about it tomorrow. We'll see.
Speaker 2: That'd be great, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 1: The funny thing about that whole inning, though they put a lefty in to face Luke Rayley, Raley doesn't get the job done. Dan pinch hits Mitch Garver for Canzone who's sitting right after Rayley, and then left Hee cole Young comes up and gets the go ahead hit left on left.
Speaker 2: But that's just been cole Young's mo o all year. He had no problems against lefties. He's destroyed lefties so far.
Speaker 1: Dude's become the most platoon safe player on the whole roster.
Speaker 2: Again, we thought cole Jong was gonna take a jump this year, and he absolutely has. But He is doing things among his own game that I don't think we had on our Bingo card. I don't think most people had on our Bingo card. I don't think we had him being one of the best defenders in baseball. I don't think we had him crushing lefties. I don't think we had him being a better platoon bat than half the roster, or a better platoon safe bat than half the roster. It's been great. Cole Young's been awesome. He doesn't need some right hander to come in for him on days and hit lefties. He's doing it all himself.
Speaker 1: Makes a lot easier because if that was the case, Loud, this roster would be in a tough, tough, tough place. But instead Colon had three hits tonight. He's doing everything you would want as a second baseman, walking any enough, hitting for enough average, playing sparkling defense, and producing against both lefties and righties. It's for a twenty two year old, which, by the way, speaking of Cole Young, did you see that image they put on the screen today?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, dude.
Speaker 1: I have never I still consider myself young at this point. I have never felt more old watching that they had. If you weren't watching the game today. They had the Pitch Hit and Run MLB's pitch Hit and Run before the All Star Game in twenty fourteen at Target Field, a game that Felix started, by the way, that everyone remembers. They had video of Cole Young at that event hitting in the box and he looks he's a fucking child, and I'm like, this is the first time I actually feel old.
Speaker 2: So Cole would have been what you got twelve? Yeah, it's track twelve years da, he was ten, dude, I remember twenty fourteen pretty well. That was the year they signed Robbie. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like I was young then too, but like I clearly remember the game. Robinson Cano made the All Star Game for the Maritors. Felix started. The Maritors played really well that you're Kyle Seger made that All Star Game as well. Oh, there was crystal clear in my mind. Wasn't Cole Young is out there as like a top like a borderline toddler.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that Jeter's last year? Was that his last All Star game?
Speaker 1: Because when when Wayne Wright grewed him a fastball right down the middle so he could get a base hit.
Speaker 2: And he said he did it on purpose too, Yes, that's what I'm remembering. Yeah, so it was that All Star Game, which clearly you and I are recalling with no issues Cole Young's ten in that that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Now, to be fair in our defense, that All Star Game was probably one of the five best Mariners moments of the twenty tens.
Speaker 2: So why because Felix started?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Felix started, and you had a shiny star toy hitting in the middle of the lineup and Robinson Cano. Because the Mariners in the twenty tents really didn't do anything else, So that was that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, what were the moments if you're gonna thankhm Ount Rushmore signing, Robbie signing, Nelson Cruz, Felix in the All Star Game and Game one sixty one of twenty fourteen. Sure, yeah, I mean there was also the twenty eighteen All Star Game where Gene Segura hit the homer late and it seemed like he was gonna win MVP of the All Star Game and Nelly freaked out and Mareni's fans were loving it, and then Eddie blew it. Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Up there too.
Speaker 1: But I think the twenty fourteen game is remembered a little bit more positively because they didn't blow it and Felix didn't give up a home run to Scooter Jeannett, So yeah, no he did not.
Speaker 3: But anyway, seeing that.
Speaker 1: Video of Cole Young, I mean, I've never felt old until today.
Speaker 3: Now I feel old.
Speaker 2: How about that? Amazing? Incredible? H Well, I'm glad they find a way. They found a way to split these first couple of games, cuz you don't want to lose all that momentum after getting a sweep. Now, at the very least, even if they lose on Wednesday, and I hope they find a way to win, but you at least have won four of six on this road trip, and one way or another, you can come home feeling pretty damn good. I would, I said at the start, I'd like to see him go five and one against these two teams, because these two teams have not are not world beaters.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 2: You guys all listening know that. So five and one would be great, But you can't complain about a four and two road trip. So they have a four and two road trip. Yeah, great, especially.
Speaker 1: Given the road performance before and on the mailbag last week, we said four and two would be great. Well, you said four and two, you win both the series. You said four and two, I said five to one.
Speaker 3: Well, the standard was on the floor. Hopefully they win.
Speaker 1: Hopefully they win tomorrow and it's five and one, because then everyone will feel a whole lot better. The vibes couldn't have felt worse if we'd hypothetically recorded this podcast on Monday night. Lives are terrible on Monday Night. And I think that's what we're gonna get to here before we get into the conversation with Peter we Are.
Speaker 2: I will say one thing before we get into Monday's conversation. We haven't seen our guy yet. We haven't seen Topa.
Speaker 3: No. Is he healthy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's he's on the roster, he's healthy. But he hasn't pitched because.
Speaker 1: You've had two different situations. You had a close scheme today, you had to blow out yesterday. I would assume that just means he's gonna pitch tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Probably. Yeah, we've talked about it before. I think we've talked about it in past Twins series since he's been a part of that team. I love justin Topa man, and I say I mean this podcast, he's We've talked about a lot of dudes in the bucket of one of the nicest guys in baseball. Topa's in that bucket, the man, one.
Speaker 1: Of the first podcast guests that we ever had, always great to interact with.
Speaker 3: At the ballpark. Yeah, he's amazing.
Speaker 2: He's a huge card collector. He's just a big baseball fan and a big sports fan. Yeah, Topa's awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean, one of the guys that you were truly bummed when he gets traded off the roster.
Speaker 2: Right when Polonco got traded for a couple of years ago, we were hyped. We didn't know what was coming back in the trade, so at first we're just all fired up to get Polanco and then when we saw it was Topa back, we were genuinely sad, really sad. Like we said, it was the right trade, but we were sad.
Speaker 1: Hopefully again, hopefully he is able to string together a full, healthy season and show the world what he can do again, because he did that in twenty three as a Mariner. Since then, it's not been as smooth sailing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was. He was solid last year. He wasn't the same as he was in twenty three by any stretch. But he put up a three ninety ERA last year at three nine zero and then at a fifth of three to oh four. He was he was a contributor last year, but yes, he was not like twenty three. So yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: You know what, what's funny, Lyle, he leads the league in appearances this year.
Speaker 2: Oh so, then he must have just gotten a couple of days off.
Speaker 1: He'll probably put must have Yeah, he must have just pitched over the weekend. Yeah, he's appeared in sixteen games so far this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, good for Topain. Love the guy. I'm glad he's healthy. Glad he's staying on the field. I'm glad he's pitching. Well, it's good. Yeah, it's awesome for him. Monday's storyline and it's the biggest story in Mariner's land right now. We get into a bunch of it with Peter, so we won't spend a ton of time on it, but we wanted to just dive into it for a couple minutes before we get to our conversation with Peter. What are they gonna do about this rotation? Man? Bryce Miller's on the doorstep of coming back. It's gonna happen in the next couple of weeks here and every time through the rotation, the conversation grows louder and louder and louder about what you're gonna do with Louis Castillo versus Emerson Hancock.
Speaker 1: Lucky for us, I guess, and for the Mariners. I mean, this is a discussion point amongst all the talking heads. It's not just us, it's not just the podcasts, it's not just you know, reactionary stuff. Everyone is talking about what you're doing with Louis Castilla, and Louis if he has more of the starts like he had on Monday, it's a really easy decision because the Louis Castill we saw on Monday night was a shell of the best version of Louis Castillo we've seen. It had already been trending down. But when Luis is averaging under ninety four miles an hour in his fastball for an entire night, that's not Louise Castile. You talked about it on Brocketsoft this morning. Not He had been losing some of the feel on his off speed pitches and his breaking balls for a while now, but he's always had his fastball. When you're averaging under ninety four miles an hour for your fastball, it just it just screams, this is not you. You can't be as effective if you're not throwing the baseball hard. And Louis showed that yesterday, right and he got knocked around and the Twins scored seven runs and it just did not look good. And you're Goldie saying on the broadcast, Louis Castillo got through five, did not have a good night. I don't know how else you can say it. And if he's you know, if he's running out a couple other starts like that, I mean it's pretty it'd be a pretty easy Hey, you're hitting the al with arm fatigue.
Speaker 2: I mean you could spin at how Dan spun it in the post game where he's like, well, I like the way Luis Castillo battled back in the fifth inning. That was legitimately what he said postgame Monday. It's like, well, he got shelled. I don't think there's much battling back in the fifth inning, Like.
Speaker 1: He finished five innings when our bullpen was spent, and yeah, he he had to wear it. If this is a different situation where the bullpen was fully rested. I mean Castillo could have been out there at her in the fourth inning or the third.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Dan's not gonna give anybody much in any of these pregame or postgame sessions. He never ever, ever does. So let us just do our own postgame press conference and put a quote out for you, Luis Castile was not good on Monday, didn't have it, stuff was bad, got knocked around. Dan's not gonna say that, but we'll say it.
Speaker 3: The conversation. I don't know if it's changed that much.
Speaker 1: It just sort of reassures what people think about this situation. It's it's probably convincing me a little bit more. I was a little bit. I was a little bit more hesitant of the two of us of making this kind of decision. But I don't know how you make anything else but like an Ile stint out of this, because again you don't. This is not something you could just undo if you make a decision to put him in the bullpen. It's not that easy. And Lois unlike an Emerson Hancock or a young pitcher, he has a lot more say in things. He makes a lot of money. Players gravitate towards him in the clubhouse, So you got to think about making a decision like that. You don't have to make much of a decision if you put him on the eel, because then he could just rest and the Mariners have can give themselves more time to think about what to do with this roster spot.
Speaker 2: It seems like the only viable option to me at this point. It seems like the most logical, and it seems like the viable one because we've talked about it already. Putting him in the bullpen right now is not a good idea because at some point you're probably going to need him to start more games this year. The unfortunate reality of baseball is injuries happen, and they happen in rotations a lot. And if that's the case, you need a long maybe not a long list of starters, but you need depth in your rotation of guys, either in the miners or guys that are six starters, guys that can go make a handful of starts throughout a year. That's what ever say Hancock was doing for the last couple of years. You need depth, and to put Louise Castillo in the bullpen right now might slash his ability to go start more games, because then he'd be working on a much shorter leash. He's not getting built up as much, he's not getting stretched out. It's a hard thing to go from rotation to bullpen back to rotation in the middle of the year. And it also would be a tough conversation to have with Luis already in late April early May and say, hey, you've got this year and next year left on your deal. You're owed twenty three million plus dollars each of the next two seasons, but you're going to the bullpen. It's a hard conversation to have with your clubhouse and with the player doing the phantomil stint really avoids all this. It buys you time. It can let Luis rest, let him work on a lot of things in the bullpen. If somebody else gets injured, you can slot him back in if he's ready, and if he's and and if nobody else gets injured, then you have some time to buy. You have a handful of weeks and in the middle of the summer you can figure this thing out. If by July you think you need to move him to the bullpen. That's a lot different than late April or May. But I think for now it is the most viable option. It makes the most sense in the world. The Mariners are not gonna say they're gonna fanom I lum A team can't do that, or they're gonna get penalized. But I think in the next couple of weeks you'll hear about Luis's latt's bugging them, or he's got his hammy that's barking, or he's got yeah, arm fatigue. They'll they'll put something out there for why he's got to go on the shelf.
Speaker 3: We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 1: We did talk about this a little bit with Peter as well, like he's not tradable really because of the contract, So people coming to us with that suggestion, it doesn't it doesn't feel like that is something that would happen given the amount of money he has owed and how he is performing. Could get surprised. But with the amount of money he's getting paid, the Mariners would have to either eat a lot of it or you would have to send prospects with him to get a team to take that kind of contract.
Speaker 2: And we can get into that a little more when we talked to Peter. Yeah, I will say. The one other thing I was going to mention is because I was curious about what's going on with Louise, and both of us were curious. We reach out to our friend Jason Churchill and we said, so what do you make of this? Because church was doing some tweeting about it the other night where he was saying, Louis stuff just looks way down. It just doesn't look the same. It's not effective. And we said, what do you think it is? Because church really knows ball, as you guys know, and he's pretty well connected, so I was curious what he was taking from all this, and he said, the fastball doesn't have the rise anymore. It doesn't have the upshoot that it once did. The slider is not breaking horizontally the way it once did. It's just across the board. The actual movement of the pitches and the effect of the pitch is just way down. And I take it forward for it again in Church of a smart guy.
Speaker 3: The one last thing I wanted to mention about Castio. I don't think we talk about this with Peter at all.
Speaker 1: So he's got a vesting option in twenty twenty eight, and to hit that vesting option in twenty twenty seven, he needs to.
Speaker 3: Throw one hundred and eighty innings. Mariagers are not gonna let him throw one hundred and eighty inings.
Speaker 2: No, No, they won't.
Speaker 1: I don't know how they're gonna manage that, whether he's in the rotation or the bullpen, or however that works out. Next year is gonna be a discussion in of itself. If you have Caid ready, you have all these starters, and then you have Louis Castillo who's not pitching, Well.
Speaker 2: Put in one more factor there. You got to put Ryan Sloan in there for twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Well, Ryan Sloane could be in the rotation at some point of twenty twenty seven, but not an opening day of twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Maybe. I mean, it depends how the rest of his season goes. But I don't know how Luis Castillo factors into all that next year, because come next year, you're gonna have Logan, You're gonna Kirby, You're gonna have Wu, You're gonna have Bryce Miller, You're gonna have Emerson Hancock. That's five. Kate Anderson would be six. Ryan slowed is seven and then when our guy Logan Evans comes back from Tommy John if you want to talk about more starting pitcher depth, that's eight. And all those guys are a hell of a lot cheaper than Luis Castillo. I don't know where he factors in for twenty twenty seven. That's gonna be a very interesting conversation come this offseason. That's eight guys that are more cost control than Castillo is.
Speaker 1: I think the Mariners might have to trade I mean, they might try and trade Castillo, but they can also trade one of their other starters too.
Speaker 2: Thinks they're gonna get very interesting in the next calendar year because it's a very good problem to have, but you do have to solve problems eventually.
Speaker 1: We talk about this and a whole lot more with our friend Peter Apple. He knows his ball. If you're not listening to the Just Baseball Show, that's a great way to up your knowledge about the rest of Major League Baseball. They do a great job on their website, just baseball dot com, all the social media channels. They are great partners to us here at the Marine Layer Podcast. And it's been a bit since we've had Peter On, so it's good to get a new, fresh perspective from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys, I listened to The Just Baseball Show all the time. When I'm driving into Brock and Salt in the mornings or when I'm in the car, I'm usually listening to them because for as much baseball as we watch, it's hard to watch all thirty teams all the time, and I obviously want to be very very on top of what's going around the league, going on around the league constantly. Those guys, and we're not just saying this because we're partnered up with them. They do a just unbelievable job. They're fun, they're energetic. You're gonna hear a bunch of it from Peter during this interview. But they're informative, they know their stuff. They use they use new age metrics, they use old school metrics. They I mean, it's just a perfectly well blended national baseball podcast, something that's very hard to find these days in the baseball space. I think there's not a ton of great ones out there, and they are one of them. And to have Peter on, it's a blast. Again. He's got opinions, he's got facts, he knows his stuff, he's got energy, he's a great guest, and you guys are going to hear it.
Speaker 1: We won't keep you guys any longer. Let's get you to the interview with Peter Apple.
Speaker 2: Buying a home is a big deal. It's probably the largest purchase you'll ever make, and it happens fast. That's why I want to tell you about pretty Good home inspections. They work directly for you, the buyer. Their philosophy is simple, take the time to evaluate your home carefully and explain what you're really getting into, clearly and honestly. No scare tactics, no sugarcoating, just straightforward information so buyers can make confident decisions. Reports are detailed and delivered in twenty four hours, and they're easy to understand. Clients are encouraged to attend the inspection, ask questions and actually learn about the home. And for the realtors listening, especially those building their business on trust and long term relationships, you know that thorough inspections protect your reputation too. When clients feel informed, they feel confident and well taken care of. In this market, you can't afford guest work. Get a professional honest opinion that you can trust pretty Good Home in schedule an inspection today at two five three four four two sixty seven seven. You can also go to pretty Good Inspections dot com slash marine Layer, or by scanning the QR code that's pretty Good Home Inspections and tell them that the Marine Layer pod sent you.
Speaker 1: All Right, we got our friend Peter Apple on with us, co founder of Just Baseball and host of the Just Baseball Show. You've probably seen his face on TikTok at some point. Peter, thanks for taking some time to join us. How are things in the Just Baseball world going great?
Speaker 3: Social media is on the rise, the website's doing well, the podcast has been a ton of fun, and we have you guys on the network. So how can things funds that?
Speaker 1: That's a good, great decision by you guys.
Speaker 3: I agree. I agree.
Speaker 2: You guys are that we've kind of brought Have we not brought the credibility of Just Baseball down?
Speaker 3: I would say, yeah, no, Jack does that. He's already brought it all the way down to the floor. So you guys are raising our floor if you can believe it. I know we ask you this every time you have it on. But how cool is it to just see the contain you'd growth of something you've like built on your own you and others have built up from nothing to being an incredibly successful media brand that you just get to talk about baseball.
Speaker 2: For a living.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate the kind words it's weird because there's one part of my brain that doesn't want to pay attention to it at all, because it's almost like, get up and work every single day and don't worry about all that stuff. Don't let it get to your head. But at the same time, you know, my mom told me this, like stop and smell the roses a little bit, and you know, to see the continued growth throughout everything that we do has been amazing, you know, And it's just it's so cool to see a thought that we had during COVID sprout into what it is now. Like if you told me four and a half five years ago that we'd be here, I told you you'd be crazy. Right when I was working for the Yankees and season ticket sales, trying to sell season tickets during a pandemic, calling people up and be like, are you gonna come out to the stadium next season? And they say, are we're gonna have a season? And I say, well, maybe you interested in selling seating tickets. It was rock bottom, it felt like for me. So to just have the idea when everyone was inside and then just kind of jump at it and to see where it is now, it's been really awesome.
Speaker 2: Is it ever crazy to think about the fact that your thoughts and jack and arms thoughts legitimately get sent in group chats around the country are senting your guys' discord chat. It's like, and it starts a conversation within random friend Groups's like, oh Peter said this and made this point, and that just gets people going, like does that ever resonate with you? Kind of?
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny, that's that's like my dream. Like the reason I wanted to start this was because I really like talking baseball with people. That's really the crux of.
Speaker 2: What I want.
Speaker 3: So if I have a take and a conversation comes out of that, that's the best. Even if you disagree with me, right, because sports is kind of about disagreeing, Right, what are the biggest sports shows in the world one where you got one host disagreeing with another host? So the mean comments or anything like that. You know, you take it with the greatest salt, because at the end of the day, we all have our own takes about baseball, So to see one of mine grow into something somewhere else, I think it's the coolest thing.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: Let's get into some talk about the Mariners, because that's why you're here, Peter. You're the third biggest Mariners fan on this podcast, behind Lala and I, so we have to get your thoughts on this.
Speaker 3: Okay, to start off here, let me let's do this.
Speaker 1: Can you give me a green flag and a red flag for what you see with the Mariners so far this season?
Speaker 3: A green flag or a red flag about the whole team? A green flag and a red flag. You can pick anything you want, Okay, I think a green flag would be how good the bullpen looks? And I think we knew that the bullpen would look good. And I know Munjos has not gotten off to the best start, but that actually makes me feel more bullish about the bullpen. Is that even come into the fifth inning? Right I'm looking at your guys's bullpen right now, I think you have like five arms with an ERA below two. Almost no team can say that and that's without Andris Munno's performing very well right now, so that would be probably my biggest green flag. And then how could you not say Cole Young as another green flag? I mean there's multiple, but Cole Young has been such a good story because going into the season, it almost felt like people were trying to skip him over for Colt Emerson. Right, Everyone's so excited about this next great Mariners player and you're like, well, he plays up the middle, and like Cole Young, maybe he'll do something, but we're really just excited to see cold Emerson. And then to see Cole Young step up like he has, I think is a huge green flag. In terms of the red flags, watching Josh Naylor take abs has been so disappointing because it's not just the production, it's almost like his energy in the box. Because where I fell in love with Josh Naylor was in Cleveland, where the energy, the fight, the competitiveness that he brings not only to the field but in the plate you can feel it. And I think it started in the WBC for Canada because we were watching a ton of World Baseball Classic and I was like, does this guy even care? That's how what he felt like, when I was watching these abs, the lack of aggressiveness, he'd roll over and not run the bases. I was just like, who is this player? This is a completely different guy. And then he's brought that into the Mariners season so far, and I'm like, that's not Josh Naylor. Like, I'm not surprising as a seventy one WRC plus I would. I think it's worse because when Josh Naylor has it electric. You guys saw it last year when you guys acquired him. I mean, my god, one of the most entertaining players. It felt like within a week Mariner's fans were like, we have to sign him. I don't care what it costs, because it's not just he had a one thirty WORC plus and he was a good hitter. He brought it. I haven't felt like he's brought it this year. That would be my biggest red flack.
Speaker 2: Peter.
Speaker 3: Do you know his other nickname that he has? His other nickname.
Speaker 1: Okay or it could be his main name. I don't know if to the general public. I know to Mariners fans it's his main nickname. I'm wondering to the general public, they know what it is. I don't think so, or at least I don't.
Speaker 3: I think Big Grumper is rubbing off on Peter. Yeah, so you guys even have a nickname for this, Yes, oh yeah, here we go. Now, I know I'm not crazy that I'm just like the oldly person on earth being like that is not Josh Naylor. That is not the Josh Naylor I've fell in love with. Even I'm a Yankee fan and he's rocking the baby Yankee fans are freaking out. I'm like, that's electric, that's electric. He's an electric player. He's not electric. He is the Big Grumper.
Speaker 2: So we got told that that got wielded out of him a little bit once he especially started to get close to free agency. I think I think somebody got in his ear a little bit about all the on field like public outbursts like that, because you didn't really ever see that in Arizona, and we certainly never saw it in the final two months or in the playoffs in Seattle. I think he's different now, Like, I don't think it's that he doesn't care. I think he's just got a very unique aura that he brings to the field, and I can understand why it could rub some people the wrong way, but I think that, like, I think that's just how we've learned to intake Josh Naylor, if that makes sense. It's kind of how he is.
Speaker 3: I think you make, you know, a really good point there. But it's not just the antics. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm even talking about on a pitch by pitch basis in the box, right, the just lack of aggressiveness, the passiveness. Right, I'm pretty sure his swing rate is down. He's chasing outside the zone of pitches that you wouldn't normally see him chasing at. And then his walk back to the dugout is kind of like, ugh, yeah, I don't know, it just.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel right when he grown see Grums.
Speaker 3: It's he's it's in in.
Speaker 1: Every facet of the game. Even last year when he's playing as well as possible, like there are moments you will catch him and it's it doesn't seem like he's having the most fun of all time on the baseball field and he's gonna you know, he was performing really well this year, you know, when the struggles come out, that's the question you ask when someone starts the season off really cold like, how do they respond to that? Is Josh Nailer's personality built out to respond to a really negative start to the season. I think still think we have a little bit to go to find out at least how it is in a Mariner's uniform. But I get how he could he could rub rub that to people.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's crazy at all. Peter, and He's gonna catch fire, right, He's gonna be fine, Right, I'm not. I'm not worried about Josh Naylor the player. I just to answer your question about a red flag. That's the thing pissing me off about the Mariners when I turned them on late night because I love watching the Mariners. Who wouldn't look at this team? I ranked him as my number one power ranked team in the America going into the season. How could you not look at this rotation? Look at this bullpen, j Rod cal Right, go down the line, Randy's entertaining, you see Cole Young, Luke Rayley is unbelievable. They have so many good players, good manager, good front office, great GM. What are we talking about? And to see twelve and fourteen and just like a lack of energy that's what upsets me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting. So you helped answer one of the questions I already had down for you, which is, of the big three in the lineup of Cal Julio, Josh Naylor, were there any that really jumped out to you in a bit of a negative way when they started slow? And it sounds like you answered the question with Naylor. But let me ask you this. Since the team is about twelve and fourteen as we're sitting here recording this, and the first month is coming to a close, when do you start to actually look at a team and say, all right, I'm worried or I'm totally buying in, Like if a team starts really hot for X amount of weeks, you're bought in. Or if a team starts really cold, especially one that I had expectations for X amount of weeks, you say this is a real problem. Is there a point in the year where you usually circle and say, all right, we got to take this seriously.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. I can actually give you a real answer for that, because I think you know, you could say, well, you know, in the first month or anything, but things change. I run a betting model, right, you guys know me. I make bets, and basically with this model, I run my projections and then based off my projections, I make a bet. Right, So if I make a line minus one thirty or minus one fifty, I give a team a sixty percent chance of winning, and the betting line only is minus one twenty five fifty five percent. That's when I make a bet. I am still using preseason projections. I mold some current numbers in, but it's still like that. On May first, that's when I start to use real data that we've already gotten. It's not my first yet, so not even to this point have I really like stuck my foot in the ground. Now if things have continued, oh, I just hit my mic. If things have continued from last year, right, let's say you did. One team was terrible on the pitching side last year in the second half, didn't add much pitching, and then continues to perform poorly as a staff. That's something that we can hang on to. But the Mariners being twelve and fourteen, knowing that Julio starts slow every year, knowing that Cal Rawly caught a bunch of innings in the World Baseball Classic, played a full season. Last year it was such an incredible season and got off to a slow start. Am I worried, of course, not Josh Naylor. He's been pissing me off. Am I worried? No, Logan Gilbert's got an ERA over four and a half. Do I care?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, of course not. It's so early. He's rocking like a three sixty batting average on balls in play. But what I will say coming up, then we start to formulate opinions by the middle of May. That's start using MLB data. May first formulate opinions in the middle of May, and then we're off.
Speaker 1: I think last year changed this a lot for me, A good I think a good round date to go around as June first, exactly two months into the MLB season. You're a third of the way done. You have a pretty decent idea of what the team, at least the team that started this season is. And for the Mariners, like the first four months of the season told us exactly who they were. They had an MVP caliber player who should have won MVP in their lineup, and then the rest of the roster was essentially combined with the injuries, and the underperformance was a five hundred baseball team, and that's what they showed us the deadline. They were just about five hundred, but the team was completely different after the deadline because they added a bunch of players. So is the craziest thing that we're not going to know what this team is until August fifteenth?
Speaker 3: I think you could make that argument. Again, I'm gonna stand on my laurels, like I think that by May you have a pretty good idea. I'm not saying that, oh, this is the team, Like I kind of get what you mean. It'd be like, I really know who this is by June. But by May, at that point, you got what thirty thirty five games under your belt? We play one sixty two. It's a good portion right at that point, it's like week four of the NFL season where it's like, all right, I know who you are. And then during the month of May, that's when you formulate your opinions and by your date TJ. June first, that's when we know August fifteenth. I mean, then we're starting to get ready for the postseason. But you already have a huge record and you might have a change team because of deadline acquisitions. But again, I'm gonna go back to it. I think by May we're starting to figure out some things.
Speaker 1: So maybe it's more like August fifteenth gives you a better idea of the team you have to finish the season, not the team you had to start the season, because those can those can be two totally different things, whether it be injuries or trades that I think we can agree on.
Speaker 3: Can I be honest with you guys? No?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Are you on a trust tree here? And because you guys are my friends, I'm gonna ask you a friend question. Are you guys pushing back the date until June because the Mariners are not off to that grade of a start? Is that like, oh no, we can't. We can't have any takes about the Mariners until September eighth. I mean at some point, like let's say, let's say the Mariners were like the Braves twenty and eight. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Do you not have answers yet? Isn't the usual consensus right? I mean a fair question, A very very fair question. I will respond with, isn't it a bit of a consensus around the league? With this question? Like I shouldn't say it consensus because everybody will have a slightly different model and opinion. Like you said, May first, don't A lot of people usually say around Memorial Day is when you start to have an idea of who a team is. I feel like usually that tonight, teams.
Speaker 3: Who are struggling like to stick to Memorial Day. Okay, well that's okay, that's true because mostly months at that point, right outside of the six contenders usually that have arisen by Memorial Day, you got to still try and wait it out before you make real decisions about your team. But with that said, I'm making fun of you, guys. I think the Mariners are awesome. Like, I don't care that they're twelve and fourteen. I still think they're a really good team. So that's where I'm at. I still feel confident they are. And it's April twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: Where were the Blue Jays last year on May first?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think they're in last place. There you go right and look at what they did. Things can change, and if you want a Mariner's perspective on this, the reason I don't like using May first. If we're going to evaluate how they are for the season, what's Julio Rodriguez's worst month April. Yeah, I mean, so if we judged him by if we judged him on May first every year, then he's like a bad baseball play.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing that's important, too, is I'm not saying you need a definitive answer your April performance is who you are for the rest of the season. That's not what I'm saying here. I'm saying that we can still have very solid takeaways about all thirty teams by May first. That's my main argument is that the Mariners, let's say by May first, let's say they win a couple more games and they're five hundred, I'd feel good. Why. We have a long history of Julio Rodriguez getting much better over the season. We have an entire track market of Cal Rawly dominating over all of last season knowing he's gonna heat up. Josh Naylor is the same way. Like we know that. So even if you're at five hundred, I'm not saying your record on May first is what you're gonna be for the rest of the season. That's not my point. I'm saying by at that time you can really start to project out for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: There is a Mariner's trend that I don't think is just an April thing or just going to be a May thing. I think this might be something for the rest of the season. I'm glad we're going to transition right into it. Louis Castillo has not looked good this season. He his velocity is down, his movement on all of his pitches are down, and in turn, he has been significantly less effective. And the Maritors are in a conundrum right now where they have a ton of other options for arms in the rotation with Emerson Hancock pitching really well and Bryce Miller coming back from the injured list. Peter, if you're in charge and you're looking at this Mariner's rotation, Bryce Miller comes back in a couple of weeks, what do you do if Luis Castillo gets a nosebleed.
Speaker 3: I'm putting him on the aisle. When Emerson Hancock made his debut, I was watching it and I tweeted out after he was done domination, I tweeted out, this guy would be the second or third best pitcher in a lott of team's rotations, and he's the sixth starter for the Mariners. People freaked out. Can you overreact like that. Are you dumb? It's been one start. Did you see him last year? Did you see him the year before? And I said, just wait, this is a different guy. It's a different cat. You see that fastball. He's not sinker slider, you know, nibbling on the edges anymore. That's ninety five from a low slot at the top of the zone. Who else is ninety five from a low slot at the top of the zone. Ever heard of him? His name is Brian wo Ever heard of him? I'm not saying he's Brian Wou. They're different pitchers. I said that will play, and it's absolutely played. Has he been perfect?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Has he been really good? And this is clearly a different guy, absolutely knowing the arm talent. Drafted sixth overall in the first round out of the University of Georgia. This is a real cat. This is a real player. And with Castile, I faded him yesterday right when he went up against the Twins. I got a good plus price with Luis Castillo on the road, because you guys have seen the home road splits with a lot of pitchers, Castillos are the most stark, right. It's like a two and a half the arra at home. It's like a five yarra on the road. You can't go into a game knowing your starter averages five runs per nine innings, and we have a large sample of that when he looked better, and this season he's floating mediocre stuff into the middle of his own I'm sorry, Marinis fans, he is. We're all watching the same game. This version of Luis Castillo is not the same version that we've seen. Now, we signed that five year what one hundred and eight million dollars deal back in twenty twenty two. I think it ends in twenty twenty seven. I would consider shopping him. I would consider giving him a breather. I am not taking Handcock out of that rotation. If I'm in charge, I am not. Now, it's not a bad thing to have six starters, right, like what if another guy goes down right? Trading Luis Castillo might be a problem, But you have to figure out a way to go Gilbert Kirby, WHOA or whatever order you want, Handcock Miller, you have to those five are box office. Castillo is just the weakest link by a good bit.
Speaker 2: So we're all on the same page here because My take on this is pretty similar to yours. I said, Louise Castillo may may not even need a nosebleed to land on the IL. When Bryce Miller gets closer and closer coming back, all of a sudden, you may start to hear that Louis Castillo has a little bit of lat tightness that he's feeling, or maybe his hammy's barking at him a little bit. And you know what, Mets look.
Speaker 3: At the mats. They just put Code I Senga on the il with like he thought about his shoulder might hurt.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the actual designation was because he's been pitching terribly. It happened to it right, and it seems like the easiest option. Because our take on this is to put him in the bullpen in may feels pretty premature because injuries pop up, the need for extra starters always comes to play throughout the course of a year. There will probably be a point at some point where you need Castillo to make more starts. But to put him on the phantom, I l let's say it solved your problems for a while. It gives them a little time to rest. It could give them a little time to work on stuff, and then you can reevaluate in a few weeks and you can go from there if everybody's healthy. It's a good problem to have. But I think TJ and I are in the same boat as you, which is, if you were to yank Emerson Hancock out of this rotation right now, not only do I think you wouldn't be fooling the clubhouse in any way because they're seeing what everybody else is seeing. They're seeing how well he's pitching. But for a team that has aspirations about as high as anybody to go try and win it all this year, that doesn't really scream winning moves to leave a guy in your rotation who's just been uncompetitive and just because.
Speaker 3: You're paying him, right, I mean, at the end of the day, well, let's go win a World Series. This team has the goods to do it. How do you do that? You play your best five? Sorry, sorry, we're playing our best five. And that's not with Castilla and.
Speaker 1: The Mariners have been better about eating money in the last year or so ever, essentially ever since Cal was like, yeah, you guys.
Speaker 3: Need to be more serious.
Speaker 1: If I'm signing an extension here to that since that point they have they have been pretty serious. I still think you could put Louis Castill in the bullpen and the stuff plays up a little bit over an inning or two. I don't think the Mariners really have the depth necessary in their bullpen to go far in the playoffs in its current state. So having another arm already in your organization that you're paying a ton of money to that could go into the bullpen and succeed, especially because a big reason for his the lack of success for Louis Castillo's is fastball.
Speaker 3: It's not getting enough juice on his fastball.
Speaker 1: The easiest way to get juice on your fastball is going the bullpen and only throw it for one inning. So that would that would help him, you know, get that up as well. But there's another problem the Mariners might have to deal with this season as well, based on how a certain prospect is performing in the minor leagues? What would you do with Kate Anderson?
Speaker 2: And this might be a little more up arm's alley, but we can still ask you because right now, I mean, through four starts, he is looking unhittable in double A.
Speaker 3: I freaking love this dude so much, so I can answer it a little bit, just because I'm a huge college baseball fan, and you know, I watched him a ton last year at LSU. We were in you know, Omaha, Nebraska for that start, and he I said afterwards, I was like, I would take him number one overall in this draft, and I think he's got Max Freed written all over him. That was my take then, And how can I go away from that take? Now?
Speaker 1: I mean he might already be Max Freed. Yeah, well, you know he's got pitching in Double A.
Speaker 3: It's got a way to go. But you know, I see multiple pitches that he could throw for strikes. He's got some built in deception and the stuff just continues to tick up. The good that You're in a good spot right because you don't need him. So mine is just keep massaging that arm, get him as ready as pos possible, and then maybe he's a September call up and he can come in and give you some important spots starts. But at the end of the day, like the one thing you guys don't need is pitching. So while he is certainly a very talented arm and you want to see him, wouldn't it probably have to come with an injury. Our last segment was that we have too many pitchers right now. We just talked about it, you know what I mean. So almost if you see Kate Anderson, did something go wrong? And I don't mean that as a slight to Kate Anderson again, one of my favorite pitchers that I've ever seen in college baseball and currently one of my favorite pitching prospects period. But if he's up, who's down and he can fill in. But if we see him, my guess is something went wrong.
Speaker 2: It's a fair point. I just wonder if he's gonna end up forcing their hand. But I don't even know how you force a hand in this rotation right now. That's why it's such a fascinating conversation that probably isn't going away between the two of us, and it's just gonna be something we monitor all year.
Speaker 3: Such a good problem to have. What we're talking about, we're talking about a five headed monster where Luis Castillo, the three time All Star, who's running into a bit of a slide. We're like, yep, hit the bench, hit it, we got five dogs. And then we're talking about pulling up another pitching prospect. What about Ryan Sloan.
Speaker 2: I mean, dear God, team, it's nuts.
Speaker 3: It's exciting times. It's exciting times in Seattle because it's the it's in the now and it's in the future.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you one more question on Castillo, That is, somebody who's a national Baseball guy be interesting to get your perspective on, because you mentioned the idea of potentially shopping him around if you had to find some room in the rotation. Do you think somebody would take him? That's honestly what I've been battling with. With the money he's owed left on that deal and the way he trending, like, would somebody take on that deal?
Speaker 3: We'll just like everyone listening can do this exercise as well. Would you what would you give up right now for Luis Castillo? Rob right, Castillo's still on the Reds, for example, and he's pitching to his six and a half e ra. His stuff is diminishing. He's thirty three years old, and you got to pay him the rest of his twenty one million this year and the rest of his twenty plus million next year. Do you want to give up one of your good prospects for him? Of course not so, why would you expect anybody else to. That's why even we were talking about this before we press the record button, we were texting about it, and my initial instinct was shop him. But then I kind of corrected my own brain and I was like.
Speaker 2: For what, that's where we've been at to it. It feels like a bit of an untradable cond.
Speaker 3: It just feels like phantom. I I think that's the best because to your point TJ about the bullpen, in theory, the fastball would tick up. But you got a guy who's been a starting pitcher for a decade and then you just move him to the bullpen, there's an adjustment period, and then what if he gets hit in his first couple outings in the bullpen because he's not adjusted yet, Then what do you do? Then you'd basically kind of melted him a little bit mm hmm, and.
Speaker 1: That would probably burn the relationship a little bit in trust of putting him back in the rotation out of as FIRS, someone who's been in the league as long as he has been. Like in theory, if you ate all of his money, you could trade him, but if you're trading him, you probably want to get some of that money off the books, Like, who's gonna take that kind of salary for a starting pitcher whose stuff is deteriorating?
Speaker 2: The Orioles.
Speaker 1: Maybe because the Orioles just don't They have new owners who apparently want to spend more money, and they constantly need new starting pictures in the rotation because none of the ones they actually bring into the rotation are actually good enough. Maybe that works out, and it's not in the American League West, which is.
Speaker 3: Important to them.
Speaker 1: The only question I was wondering, just Cass, do you have ten and five rights? I don't think so, Like this is tenth season. I don't think yeah, I don't think. I don't think yeah, maybe this time next year he would be. So if you are gonna trade him, probably have to probably have to be now sure or you can't trade him. It's the ketel Marte argument all over again.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like Peter was about to say he doesn't think the Orioles would take that on no shot.
Speaker 3: No, I mean the Orioles didn't want to sign fromber Yeah, you think they're gonna take on money for Luis Castill who's struggling, because I mean, let's give credit to the Orioles right now, this version of Luis Castillo, is he better than Dean Kramer?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: That's right? So why would you take on twenty million, especially for a team that doesn't like to take on money anyway? So it's like in theory, could the Orioles use the starter?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are they normal? When's the last time the Orioles made a trade and took on money? Good point?
Speaker 1: Do you know Red Sox need a need a right handed starter. They've been making some great trades recently.
Speaker 3: Have you seen their pitching like they have? They have too many pitchers to deal with. They were the ones that are left hand right, Yeah, but who cares? Like again, you'd be kicking out what Brian Bayo from the rotation who they already extended, right, And you're gonna fire manager and you want to get younger, and then you're bringing in thirty three year old Luis Castillo with twenty million attached for two more years. There's nobody that even would make sense. I mean maybe maybe maybe the Tigers if Flaherty goes down and like they get really banged up and they have to make a move. But it's another front office that doesn't normally want to take on a lot of money, and Schooble's about to be a free agent. They want to be in those waters. But they're like, oh no, wait, we're paying Luis Castillo for next year twenty million dollars.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't make sense. I think this has been awesome the way you've just spelled this out for people, Because we get a lot of comments on the daily when we start to talk about how to potentially maneuver this rotation, we get a lot of people that say, and I get it. They just say, well, just trade Castillo, just trade them and then you can free it up. And we're like, I just don't think it's that easy, guys. And you why I'm making down that? Yeah, you breaking down why it wouldn't work here and why it wouldn't work there.
Speaker 3: I think this has been really good. You know why I'm good at this. I'm a Yankee fan. How many times have we tried to trade Clint Frasier and mcgulla Andrew Harp everybody's best player? And I have to like scream into the abyss like, you guys are nuts. You're nuts, All of you are nuts. Now, Marit's fans are not nearly as crazy as Yankee fans. But as fans, you're always trying to make your team better. How would you make your team better getting something valuable for Luis Castillo? But a great exercise, And I'll remind everybody listening again, would you do it? You've seen Luis Castillo, You know how much money he makes, You know how eager you are to get rid of him. Are you operating from a position of strength when you come to trade talks? When Jerry Depoto picks up the phone and says, is anyone interested in Luis Castillo? Who's answering?
Speaker 2: It reminds me a little bit of that mean that you always see the guy pointing at himself and says, who want me? And the poll is no.
Speaker 3: And at the end of the day, could Luis Castile bounce back?
Speaker 2: Yes? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: We haven't even gone to August fifteenth, TJ's date yet. Luis Castillo's got four or five more months to prove himself to TJ.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, don't the Yankees have a spot opening in their rotation?
Speaker 3: We got six guys. Oh, the Yankees are real good. You want to talk Yankees? They're real good?
Speaker 2: Right now? They're looking really good.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Marriagers are really good too. There's some really good teams in the American League. And again it's still early, but oh yeah, we don't need them, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: You know what. On that note, I'm glad you just went there, because we've been doing this a lot more this year. I think the conversation's more relevant for the Mariners than it ever has been. But we've been spending a lot of time just talking about, Okay, who are the other contenders around the league, specifically in the American League, who could pose some threats to the Mariners down the line. Who else is really jumping out to you in the first month of the year and saying, oh, like these are threats. These guys are contenders.
Speaker 3: I hate to be biased, but the Yankees would be number one on that list. I mean, they have the best record in the American League without Garrett Cole, without Carlos Rodon and without Clark Schmidt. Now, Clark Schmidt, he'll throw eighty innings a year to three ri which is like, not great, But when he does throw, he is excellent. And that's not even mentioning Cam Schlitler or Max Freed or Ryan Weathers or Will Warren, who's going way under the radar. This is a loaded pitching staff can compete with Seattle. Yeah, the thing is, your bullpen is better. Your bullpen beats the crap out of all our bullpen. Being completely honest, Brian Cashman has to go out and get bullpen arms. But at the same time, can we be fair. What's the easiest thing to go get at the deadline?
Speaker 2: Bull arms?
Speaker 3: Right, and you look at the offense with Ben Rice hitting the way that he is, you're probably gonna put the Yankees offense above the Mariners. Now, yeah, Ben Rice said pretty easily, right, So that team not only can go toe to toe with the Mariners, but it's probably better. Then I run out of options of who's actually better than the Mariners. Right now, I'm like, hmm, I still like the Tigers. I still think they have a really good team. The Blue Jays, what can you do? The half the team got hurt, so it's hard to know. Like Treya Savage makes his debut tonight, it's hard to know exactly what they'll become. The Red Sox are in disarray. The Orioles, everyone tries to make them a contender every year, and I'm the one on the podcast being like I project them for eighty three eighty four wins. I'm not buying it, and I'm not saying I've been right every year, but I've been right every year. It's just the same kind of mediocre. Offense is fine, pitching is fine. They're okay, and I think I truly believe that. I think they're a eighty four win team right solid. I think the Rangers are in that same bucket, an eighty four win team. You see what happened to the Astros. I never bought into the A's. I've never boughten into the Royals. I'm a Twins guy, but that's based on value. I have, like over seventy three and a half winnsday ain't competing. The Rays are a fun story right now. Let's be real, see Yankees and Mariners.
Speaker 1: How would the Mariners beat the Yankees in a series? Because they haven't really been able to do it on the field, so I would love to hear a hypothetical hell that would actually happen.
Speaker 3: I think, more importantly, how do they take one game in that series? No?
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: You have Gilbert Kirby Wu and Bryce Miller and Hancock. You win any game, you will have at least even or a better pitching matchup. Every game that you face the Yankees, you will you'll have the better bullpen, and you'll have a starter that's at least as good, if not better, or at least could be as good on any given day. Whose offense is gonna show up. That's what it comes down to.
Speaker 2: And I think you guys know that too, mm hmm. That Yankees pitching scares me, I'll be real, especially when everybody gets healthy, because you list all the Mariners guys, but then you go up against healthy Geric call and Max Freed and Rodin and Schlitler, those are probably the four that you get that they're all healthy in a series that's no walk in the park, that.
Speaker 3: Is no walk in the park at all. And you know, Handcock, you guys aren't as deep actually in the starting rotation. I mean, we can talk sloan In Kate Anderson, but the Yankees have legit pitchers right, like Ryan Weathers, like Will Warren. Right, they're just calling up Elma Rodriguez Cruz, who are one of our best pitching prospects. Will see what you know, he gives us in his debut, But the Yankees' rotation is is deeper. So potentially could some of those those guys go in the bullpen to then help that bullpen?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Could Ryan Weather's stuff tick up back there? Could they trade a Will Warn in order to get a big piece of the deadline? You know? With the Mariners, it's kind of like set in Stone, but it's like the best five to set in Stone, but it doesn't get much longer than that. But again, in a playoff series, do you need length? Who cares about our seventh starters? Gilbert versus Cole? Who wins? That's what matters.
Speaker 1: I love how Peter's more optimistic about this for the Maritner's sake than we are as Mariners fans up here.
Speaker 3: That's if you know this.
Speaker 1: Do you know the answer to this question? How many times have the Mariners won the season series against the Yankees since two thousand and three?
Speaker 3: Two? Once? Yeah, we beat the crap out of you guys, But that's what we own, the American League Central, we kind of owe the Maritors.
Speaker 2: It's I think the only series they won, right was it twenty twenty two to TJ when they had the crazy fifteen inning one nothing game when it was prime Castillo against prime Garrett Cole and it was one nothing. Yeah, I mean, the meritors do not play the Yankees well. But you know what, this is why it's nice to have somebody on like Peter who gets to see it from a little bit of a broader perspective, because, let's be real, like, we're so close to it every day, right, Like when you do a team based podcast, you're so close to it every day that you're gonna nitpick naturally every bad thing you see and blow it up. Where when you do it more nationally, you get to see a lot more of the broader picture and it brings a really good perspective, like you're doing right now.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate it, and I'm not You guys aren't the only one doing that. Everyone listening, You're not the only fan base who's doing that. Every single fan base does this. Right, Yankees have the best record in the American League. I'm not even sold sometimes, Like I think it was a week and a half ago, I'm on the show and we're doing the weekend round up and Arum was talking very highly of the Yankees, bringing up good points and I'm like, oh, what, you know, You're right, I am giving these guys too hard of a time. And I'm a general optimist, like everyone does this to their team, especially early when you've been waiting all winter, it's cold, it's raining, and you want to see your team, and then they get out there and they don't and they don't hit with runners in scoring position, and it makes you want to tear your hair out. I know it, right, We've all been there, so it's totally normal to feel that way. What I will say is, as a complete outsider who watches all thirty teams makes projections, the Mariners are as good as any team in the American League period. That's it.
Speaker 1: Love to hear it. I got one more question for you, Peter. It's been a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to surveying people about how Julio has been to start this twenty twenty sixth season. How do you think he's playing bad?
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, but also who cares? He does this every year?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 3: It's like you wake up and you get your coffee in the morning and you watch Juli Rodriguez later at night struggle in April. It's just what it is. Why is that the case? I have no idea. I remember Mark to Sherah with the Yankees was the same way. Just stunk it up early in the season every year, and you're like, this is gonna be the year where he doesn't he does it, and then what happens. He's the reincarnation in the second half. We know this, So why would we be worried when he's struggling in April?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Am I crazy? Like, I'm not. I don't even care. That's how that's how so much I'm not worryorried about it. I don't even care.
Speaker 1: I know at the end of the year his stats are gonna look really good. He's gonna have at least a five war season. What's different about this year is he's had a combination of doing things better than he's done in any April in the past. But if you throw out his first week, he's been an above average offensive player. He just hasn't hit for a bunch of power. The weird thing about this season is his defense for the first month is not greated out great at all, which leaves us raising our eyebrow a little bit. It's like, all right, the reason for Julio's floor is so high. It is because he's a great runner and a great defender. Well, this year he's running slower than before and his defense hasn't graded out.
Speaker 3: As well as Like, huh, I don't know what to make of it. I don't know what to make of defensive metrics, Like I think you know, we can look at them and say, all, right, in outs above average, Julio's what minus three?
Speaker 2: Mm? Hmm.
Speaker 3: Do you think Julio Rodriguez doesn't have range all.
Speaker 2: Of a sudden?
Speaker 3: No? No, like some some times guys great out weirdly?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Do you think Bryce Terrang is a good defensive shorts or second baseman?
Speaker 2: I do. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What if I told you he was like negative one and outs above average at second base last year, would you care?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: You know why because you're not watching him every day, so you're not concerned about his specific numbers. You just know he is when you go up against the Brewers, you know that he's a good defensive second baseman. Yes, his war total might not be as shiny, but all that matters is he's good during the regular season, great in the second half, and he's gonna help you in October That's all that matters at the end of the day, right You guys don't get paid more as a podcast. If Huli Rodriguez has a specific war, nobody listening gets an extra hat in the mail of Juli Rodriguez is a six win player versus a five win player. It might helping narratives on the internet, but in the of the day, you know you have one of the best players period in baseball. You know you do. And I don't care about his April defensive metrics.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't care about his offensive metrics in April because we know what he is. We know he's excellent on all sides of the ball, and we know in the second half, when you're probably gonna need him most, it's gonna be awesome because he's Ula Rodriguez, and of course he is Peter. This has been fantastic.
Speaker 1: We love having you on your one of our favorite guests recurring guests on this show, and we appreciate you and all the people at Just Baseball for helping us do what we do.
Speaker 3: So thanks for taking some time for us, and you guys are the best too. Thank you guys for having me, and hopefully I wasn't too mean to Mariners fans. I will tell you like it is. Don't worry. I'm not gonna be all nice. Everything I said here I fully believe, and t J and Lyle are my friends and sometimes I'm going to, you know, pokem a little bit. This's just having fun at the end of the day. Going back to that first question, all we wanted to do here Just Baseball was to have conversations, and we're gonna argue and we're gonna have fun at the end of the day. It's just baseball.
Speaker 2: Well, I said it before the start of the conversation and I'll say it again. Peter's a great guest, so shout out to him for coming on. Love, all the energy brings, love all the takes he provides. He really knows it's up. So if you guys want to stay on top of the league when you're not listening to us, yeah, go follow the Just Baseball Show wherever you get your podcasts all across social media TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, it's all there. Blast talking to them, it always is. With that, that just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the drill if you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods. Make sure to download these episodes if you're listening to you guys, and make sure go rate and review five stars. It helps a ton if you do. And if you're on YouTube, go like, comment and please go hit subscribe on YouTube. It helps again, same thing. It really really helps the channel grow. You get notified when we post. Then you're on top of all of our stuff. Why wouldn't you want Why wouldn't you want that? Right? Why not? You can find us on our website marine layerpod dot com, merch is there, Patreon's there again, it's a big one stop shop marine layerpod dot com, and then find us everywhere across social media. We're posting content all the time at Marine layer Pod. That's TJ. I'm Lyle as always who thank you guys for tuning in and talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Set spectat