Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central. From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Is America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 1: This is the Daily Show with your Holy Show.
Speaker 2: Door talking to the Daily Show. My name Dot Seart. We got I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 3: My enthusiasm is not for nought. We have a great show for you tonight.
Speaker 4: Steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith is going to be joining me later.
Speaker 1: The Folks is run out.
Speaker 4: But first I want to talk about this very briefly.
Speaker 3: I was in Los Angeles over the weekend getting BBL from a celebrity doctor and quick question for those of you who live in that area, is your city ever.
Speaker 4: Not on fire?
Speaker 3: Whether you win a basketball championship, a World Series championship, whether you have an exploding pinata, gender reveal gone wrong, congratulations, it's a boy and an evacuation, or you're just protesting the Trump Administration's expanded deportation raids. LA continues to be our most flammable city. This weekend's combustion was the very predictable result of a liberal city reliant on an immigrant population colliding with a heavy handed MAGA migrant trawling operation looking to hit its quota of brown pokemen.
Speaker 4: Got to catch them all.
Speaker 3: Yes, America, this is where we started.
Speaker 1: We got to get the criminals out first.
Speaker 5: We got to get the criminals, the murderers, the drug dealers.
Speaker 4: And this is where we are now.
Speaker 3: Protests started following ice raids at a home depot, parking lot and Paramountain south of the city. Home from the worst of the worst to a home depot. Jeez, Ice, if you need assistance and arresting people, you know those guys are looking for work. So it's an explosive situation on the cusp of federalism versus States rights, border control versus due process, terrifyingly militarized sweeps versus hard working people in local communities, the United States Marines versus the Postmates guy who brought you an egg sandwich. It's going to require a deft and firm, experienced and wise. I think you know where I'm going with this. A deaf touch from leadership in Washington.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna have troops everywhere. We're not going to let this happen to our country.
Speaker 6: They spit, that's a new thing.
Speaker 1: And when that happens, I have a little statement.
Speaker 2: They say, they spit, we.
Speaker 3: Hit well, well, done, mister Churchill, when they spit, we hit.
Speaker 4: For the love of God, someone protect hawk to a girl. They cool.
Speaker 3: Now, obviously this is a bit of a change in attitude from Trump towards protecting law enforcement, from his previous January sixth attitude of they hit, we don't give a shit.
Speaker 4: So why this escalation?
Speaker 2: Top? Trump aid Stephen Miller.
Speaker 7: Oh, what is it, young Lord Vader wanted?
Speaker 8: Stephen Miller held a meeting screaming at ICE officials to arrest more undocumented immigrants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds like him, although I'm pretty sure Stephen Miller wasn't screaming. I think it's just his default tone is banshee. It's what happens when oxygen molecules are desperate to exit his unholy lungs.
Speaker 4: So it just comes out like.
Speaker 8: Good whom Miller setting a new quota of three thousand arrests per day to include more than just migrants with criminal records.
Speaker 9: Miller reportedly asked ICE officials, Hey, why aren't you at home, depot.
Speaker 3: And don't say because they're not bothering anybody down there, because they're bothering me.
Speaker 4: Let's just say at home. I'm sure that's an exaggeration.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Stephen Miller understands overwhelmingly that these are people monsters.
Speaker 9: They released people into this nation, not people monsters.
Speaker 10: Duport, deport, duport.
Speaker 4: Duport, duport, duport.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess that's what Stephen Miller shouts when he comes.
Speaker 2: Duport, deport, deport.
Speaker 3: And then obviously, to be sensitive to his partner, he has to be like, you deported too, right, and then she probably goes, you know, yeah, and then goes into the shower and self deports.
Speaker 4: That's why that's that's yeah, you're very child.
Speaker 3: So now prettytively, these non targeted, much broader deportation efforts and cities that feel very connected to the immigrant population is a tinderbox, and Trump happily lights the fuse. Peaceful protesters mixed with anarchists and vandals, pushed back by horseback and tear gas. Nothing could survive the onslaught except the attitude of teenagers.
Speaker 1: You dad, I mean cops.
Speaker 3: Luckily, in the midst of all this chaos, there have been no fatalities, well, human fatalities.
Speaker 9: Self driving car company Weimo said it was suspending service after at least five of its cars were vandalized and set on fire.
Speaker 3: Took five of them before you were like, should we stop sending the Weimos to the center around you know?
Speaker 4: Four could be a coincidence, but it was no coincident.
Speaker 6: It is believed that those Waymos were summoned or booked by the protesters with the intention of then getting them to the location and torching them.
Speaker 1: My god, how dare you?
Speaker 3: How could you use Waimo's innocence and helpful spirit against the Weimo? Imagine for a moment Waimo's disappointment upon realizing it was, as Admiral Akbar might say, a trap you got Waimo going, Hello, it is my honor to take you to Hollywood.
Speaker 1: And what are you doing?
Speaker 4: My god? No, I'm giving you only one star.
Speaker 1: No tell my Ruma I love her. For more.
Speaker 3: On the immigration raids, we go out live to Los Angeles and our very own Jordan Plepper, Jordan.
Speaker 1: Are to join you. Where do we.
Speaker 3: Where do we stand right now? Where do we stand right now? With the immigration rates?
Speaker 9: Well, the Trump administration does not see these raids as an overreach. They see this as a necessary to confront what are the world's most notorious gangs.
Speaker 3: The gangs at home. Would I believe these people are what trendragua?
Speaker 10: Even worse? Casa del depot.
Speaker 3: That's his home depot in Spanish.
Speaker 9: Scior these are bad albraids, Jordan, they're just day laborer. Oh well, to the uninformed, perhaps, But I've seen some of the pictures of what these folks are capable of. Gruesome depravity. You know what, if if anyone at home is watching and there are children in the room, you might want to ask them to leave.
Speaker 10: But take a look at this.
Speaker 4: Disgusting What am I I mean? What am I looking? It's like a stone wall.
Speaker 9: You're looking at what was supposed to be a Tuscan inspired retaining wall.
Speaker 10: Does that look Tuscan inspired to you?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 4: I mean looks fine?
Speaker 1: John, I didn't.
Speaker 9: Pay these guys forty dollars each for fine.
Speaker 10: Look at my side, Patio.
Speaker 4: Oh all right, I mean.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, they're freaking impatience, John, I mean, are you kidding me?
Speaker 10: They can't handle full sun. Look look at these stairs. Does this buff sandstone look plumb to you?
Speaker 1: Jordan?
Speaker 4: I don't know what any of those words.
Speaker 9: Okay, tell me these guys aren't the worst of the worst Jordan.
Speaker 3: See, isn't this what the Trump administration wants for people to conflate violent gang members with innocent day labors who are already being exploited.
Speaker 4: I don't think anyone would be complaining.
Speaker 3: About a rational system of due process getting rid of criminals, but this right now is needlessly provocative in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: You're right, You're right.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry. I lost my head.
Speaker 9: You know, the the American guys quoted me a patio figure that just was.
Speaker 10: I mean, I'm on basic cable.
Speaker 1: John Uh, you're right.
Speaker 9: I can't get behind indiscriminately kicking out blameless workers, especially since I still want to put in a coy pond. But you know what, you can't expect a compassionate approach to deportation when you got a psycho like Stephen Miller in charge.
Speaker 10: I mean, that guy just gives me the willies, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Jordan, Jordan dolo. But Stephen Miller is is he clicking? Is it Stephen Nolan flicking? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Johnny's clicking. No, right, he uses echo location to hunt his prey. He phoned me, Okay, I shouldn't have said his name.
Speaker 9: I just can't say it again or another Stephen Miller will appear.
Speaker 10: It's to light for me. Just j John tell my wife I love her idea to build a gazebo next to.
Speaker 1: The coy bods look.
Speaker 10: Out, stay way.
Speaker 2: I was eerie, very eerie.
Speaker 3: No, moving back to the tension, turmoil and violence coming out of Los Angeles. It's hard to watch an American city torn apart like this, And quite honestly.
Speaker 4: I was a bit surprised.
Speaker 3: But even the magosphere is somber and reflective at what they're seeing in Los Angeles.
Speaker 10: It's deeply, deeply unfortunate. Look, I'll be honest, this like really hurts my soul.
Speaker 4: I think it's a sad thing to see.
Speaker 1: No one wants to see this. I hate to see it. I think America hates to see it. Most importantly, it is going to be bad for the country.
Speaker 2: I think it is important for us to pray, you know, for peace.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm being told that wasn't about Los Angeles. That was them heartbroken that Trump and Elon have gone no contact.
Speaker 4: That's a slightly different thing.
Speaker 3: That's true. See for the right right now. I guess that's the real national tragedy. Elon Musk has unfollowed cat turn. We must pray for peace. See the upset in LA is in a blue state, in a blue city with people that they don't give a fuck about.
Speaker 11: I'm incredibly happy with President Trump's decision.
Speaker 1: Trump is right on target with this.
Speaker 4: It's just screams common sense, an.
Speaker 11: Enormous positive for our country, certainly well deserved.
Speaker 12: There was never any consequences, and now the hammer is being dropped.
Speaker 8: Do you want to live in Los Angeles which is Mini Mexico.
Speaker 3: To be fair, they all have a fantastic kore account. But you know, why escalate this shit now? The unrest in LA's predictable outcome of these aggressive tactics. I believe the right refers to federal overreaches. Don't tread on me, We the people cald dead hands, something along those lines. So why is this happening now? What's it meant to distract from? I mean, I can't remember what were we even talking about right before the first weimo went up in Flames.
Speaker 9: Elon Musk is now accusing Trump of being in the Epstein files.
Speaker 3: Oh right, that's what we were talking about, which, now, to be fair to Trump, it is ridiculous. I mean, you can't just make wild accusations like that just because Trump and Epstein hung out once or twice, or Trump was in the flight logs, or Epstein called Trump as close as friend, or they went to parties and whispered. You know, I can only assume biblical passages in each other. I'm telling you, I'm telling you Epstein, two Corinthians.
Speaker 4: You got to check it out.
Speaker 1: It's awful.
Speaker 4: It's not a crime to be in each other's hearts.
Speaker 3: And what indication has Trump ever given that there may be things within those Epstein files that may be concerning to him?
Speaker 11: Would you declassify the nine to eleven files?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Would you do classified JFK files.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I did a lot of it.
Speaker 11: Would you declassify the Epstein files?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would.
Speaker 5: I guess I would. I think that less so because you know, you don't know if you don't want to affect people's lives of its phony stuff in there, A.
Speaker 1: Lot of phony stuff in there.
Speaker 3: You know, they can put anything into files, anything about anybody. By the way, just for the record, asking a seventeen year old Massus if she's planning on staying the United States, that's a legitimate question, and The rest of the video is AI if there's a video.
Speaker 4: My favorite moment.
Speaker 3: Was when the head of the FBI cash hotel found out Elon accused Trump of being on the Epstein list live while podcasting.
Speaker 11: Does he know that Donald Trump is in the Epstein finals or does he have access to them?
Speaker 6: I don't know how he would, but I'm just staying out of the Trump Elon thing that's way outside.
Speaker 1: I know my lane in that. Ain't it.
Speaker 3: Not your lane? Aren't you literally in charge of the Epstein file?
Speaker 4: I know my lane.
Speaker 3: I'm just a guy in charge of law enforcement domestically, conspiracy's crimes, cover ups, hold depot parking over crowded, you know. But now, because of their personal issues, Musk has threatened to expose Trump, and Trump has threatened to cancel Musk's government contracts, and he's threatened serious consequences to Musk if Musk funds Democratic candidates. It must be hard for the right to see how petty and petulant these two man babies are, and how they wield their power in vindictive and capricious manners when they don't get exactly their way, and the damage that that behavior causes. And I guess what I would say to the right.
Speaker 13: Is welcome to our world every day now you know, Now you know Harvard won't ben the need.
Speaker 3: Attack a law firm representative democrat, Attack a long term ally that prefers to retain its sovereignty, Attacked a small mom and papa business just trying to complete an eight billion dollar merger. Attacked you on the right, didn't give a shit when Godzilla and Mathra teamed up to destroy the city. You're only mad that now they're fighting each other because you just got a taste of their paper thin over sensitive, fragile, ego driven nihilism, or as you call.
Speaker 10: It, It's like watching two giants fight.
Speaker 9: These are two titans, two very strong world heavyweights, two big dogs living in close quarters.
Speaker 1: Two grown men, two alpha males, duking it.
Speaker 3: Out alpha males. I don't think we're watching the same fight. You're you're seeing this. It's actually this. It's just a couple of pussies. If these were two alphas fighting, Ted Cruz's description of their fight wouldn't be this funny.
Speaker 9: These are two alpha males who are pissed off, and unfortunately they're unloading on each other.
Speaker 2: Depart depart departs.
Speaker 1: I'm coming up from me. I'm a citizen, I'm a sentizen. Leave me be.
Speaker 3: When we come back, I'll be swapping hot tapes with Stephen A.
Speaker 10: Smith.
Speaker 3: Don't go away, No, No, I'm Stephen, I said, don't you do?
Speaker 1: What about the drama show? I guess tonight?
Speaker 3: He is the host of ESPN's First Take and The Steven A. Smith Show on YouTube, where he discusses politics, culture, sports, whatever comes to his mind.
Speaker 4: Places working on the program. Stephen A. Smith, So, I.
Speaker 2: Will you you great?
Speaker 1: That's a great crowd.
Speaker 4: How you doing, man, lovely?
Speaker 3: It's so nice to see you Ellison in the NBA Basketball Final You, you and I are ride or Die New York Nickobocker fans.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's been a disappointing.
Speaker 3: And to have them just end the playoffs there and not continue I thought was the right move.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, you think after you blow a seventeen point lead with over six minutes left, fourteen, with two fifty one left, nine with fifty two seconds left, and you ended up losing gay one. I didn't want to admit it to the world at that time, but I knew they were done.
Speaker 3: You did know they were doing I kind of do k my Son was there in the rafters when Jalen Brunson hit There was a point, there was probably like a minute in some left. They had a nine point lead. They hit it, and he made the fatal mistake that the Knicks fan.
Speaker 4: And now he knows. I had to school on it. He did the bye bye. He did the bye bye on his self.
Speaker 1: Here's the crime. The crime.
Speaker 4: Can he be arrested for crime?
Speaker 11: He should?
Speaker 6: He should, And I'm gonna tell you why, all right? Because who does the bye bye? That's Steph Curry, the greatest shooter. Yes, God has ever creating. Yes, that guy in the two thousand and nine draft was drafted seventh overall.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know who had the eighth pick.
Speaker 1: It was the Knicks. Who So who do we take?
Speaker 4: Hill? Who we take? Somebody's not even in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jordan Jordan Hill. Yes.
Speaker 6: So my point to you is that if you were that close, yet you're so far because you missed out on him, you would think you would know better than doing that. That doesn't belong to you. You're a nick, You're not a warrior.
Speaker 4: See, he's just a boy.
Speaker 2: He's just a boy.
Speaker 1: He's doing his best children learn at a very young age. You've got to know better. You've got to know better. We cannot we cannot.
Speaker 4: Have raised him poorly.
Speaker 1: I made him a Mets fan to make he's gotta have something. You did. You did it, You did a good job. It's just that when it comes to sports, none of us are perfect.
Speaker 3: No, well, I appreciate that. So you though, are into everything.
Speaker 4: Now. You've been doing a political commentary.
Speaker 3: You were on a sho show where you did a round table with the president.
Speaker 6: Uh doc Ris Trombo, The News Nation, Chris Cuomo, Bill O'Reilly. President Trump came on because of Bill O'Reilly.
Speaker 1: It was an interesting evening, to say the least.
Speaker 6: He called then for a half hour. He was rambling. I still don't know what he said. I mean, I mean he said a lot. He said, he said a lot. And I brought up HBCUs the Strokey Black colleges in university. He's asking him about his contribution and the contribution he was intending to make to them, and he says, I love the black people, the blacks, I love them, Stephen, something like that, something like that without the dreads.
Speaker 3: Crazy Stephen brought up Harvard and what was happening at.
Speaker 1: Harvard, and he brought up Haarlem and the.
Speaker 3: President goes, you know, Stephen, Harlem is it's coming? And I thought, I thought, does he think Harvard is in Harlem or does he just hear horror and just goes, I guess, so, I guess.
Speaker 1: So. I don't have the answer to that question.
Speaker 6: But it was an interesting is to say the least, sitting there talking to him about it.
Speaker 1: And you know what, and then they asked him.
Speaker 6: They asked him, They said, you know, if there's anything that you think he did wrong, anything that you think he would correct whatever? He said, Honestly, I can't think of anything. I think I've been pretty close to perfect. And I said, that's him. That's the Donald Trump I've always have you did you know him? I knew him prior to him running for the presidency. I've often told the story. In twenty fourteen, he wanted to purchase the NFL's Buffalo bills. The price tag was one point four billion, that's it. He had one at the time at the time. Yes, because it's over six billion now with the commanders and all that stuff, but at the time it was one point four billion.
Speaker 1: Dollars. My sources tell me he had one point one and.
Speaker 6: He said to me, and he said to me, he literally called me in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: And he says, Steven, I'm going to tell you this right now. And this is a quote.
Speaker 6: If the mother floked my way, I'm gonna get them all back. I'm gonna run for president. Those are his exact words. And so the NFL often jokes with me. So it's top fault when I tell him that story, and I said, yeah, story.
Speaker 3: Close, please, yes, people of Buffalo give him the game?
Speaker 4: How is that possible? Now?
Speaker 3: Why did he did he call you for the purpose of putting together?
Speaker 6: Essentially, he was just what he's putting the word out. He was putting the word out that this doesn't happen. He wanted to do it, and this should happen. I'm Donald Trump, I'm very popular and well known or worth over a billion dollars. I should be able to purchase an NFL team if I want it. And if I can't get it, it's because they're getting in my way.
Speaker 1: That was his position. Their position was you didn't have enough money.
Speaker 4: You didn't have enough money.
Speaker 1: That was that position.
Speaker 4: He was already in what the usf lery right.
Speaker 1: That was years ago, that was in the eighties, but he was looking.
Speaker 6: This is twenty and fourteen, and that was the last time that I had spoken to him until that town hall meeting on News Nation.
Speaker 3: And as you watch all these things unfold, do you think yourself?
Speaker 4: Yep, he got us all back.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, hell yeah yeah. How could you do that?
Speaker 6: I mean, because listen, listen, there are things I don't think anybody. I'm a centrist at hart. I always vote I usually vote Democrat. The only Republican I've ever voted for was Chris Christie's former governor of New Jersey. Outside of that, I've always voted Democrat. But there's a lot of things that I think can be done differently. I thought the left blew this election more so than him winning it. Really, Oh yeah, the left definitely blew it.
Speaker 1: I thought that.
Speaker 6: I thought that the progressive left, the extreme left, really really ruined the election for the Democrats.
Speaker 1: And that's that's how I view it.
Speaker 6: It's the truth, and I think that I think that because that happened, it positioned him to get away with a lot of things. His position on immigration has been well known. He lets you know what he was going to do. A lot of times.
Speaker 4: He did it on an escalator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, about the most powerful mode of transportation that he doesn't care.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing about it is, listen.
Speaker 6: Don't be surprised when you see him and you're thinking about in this or you're thinking about.
Speaker 1: Vengeance or whatever.
Speaker 6: He's viewing it as they try to put me in prison, they try to put me behind balls for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get them all. And he won't just openly admit it.
Speaker 6: He'll say stuff like I wouldn't do that, but I'd have the right to if I wanted to.
Speaker 1: He's letting you know and.
Speaker 6: The people that he's also doing it to a degree, Yes, he is, no question.
Speaker 3: Don't you think you know it would be reasonable to say that January sixth was a moment that you should have maybe gotten him some legal You know.
Speaker 1: That wasn't a happenstance. I am one of those who family believes it was in this direction. There's no question about it. I'm not backing up from that.
Speaker 6: But the reality is that I pay attention to seventy plus million people who felt otherwise or did not give a damn because what they did.
Speaker 1: What they said was.
Speaker 6: We're looking at this country, the state of affairs that exists within this station, and we're concerned about ourselves. We ain't got time for that. We don't care whether he's in jail or not. We might care if he's in a White House or not, but we don't care whether he's in jail or not. If you're the left and you engaged in what the right would say is law fear, trying to use the courts to keep from having to compete with him, and then you're putting forth some of these policies, whether it's transgender issues of other stuff that they would bring up. You had a lot of people to say, that's not where I focus should lie.
Speaker 3: Don't you think that's their focus?
Speaker 4: The right?
Speaker 3: I feel like the right is far more focused on where you go to the bathroom than the left. I feel like the left is a more less a fair like you know, Look, I think the left is it's easy to paint the extreme and to create a hyperbolic vision the left as uh, this woke army. I think it's uh, I think it's exaggerated.
Speaker 6: Yes, but here's the problem, John, You can be on national TV every single week doing the phenomenal job that you one day every week. I just say I know this once I said what I said every week one day, I said every week on this every day.
Speaker 1: The point is.
Speaker 6: The point is is that even though you're pointing that out, when you're running for an election, it's about what's.
Speaker 1: Going to win.
Speaker 6: And they knew that that was a strategy that was going to be a winning strategy for them. But then, so is it the left's fault if it's not really because you got to know what works and what doesn't and fight fire with fire.
Speaker 1: You got to know how to try to win it, how to win they call them hitlers. Did that work? No, did that work exactly?
Speaker 6: A matter of fact, a lot of people dismissed that argument because they accused the left of engaging in the extreme because you didn't want to compete against them. Think about this, The man rolled down the stret roll down to escalators in twenty fifteen. Okay, he's dominated the GOP and the Republican Party.
Speaker 1: Since that moment of time. Who the hell has done that for the left?
Speaker 6: It was Hillary's turn in twenty sixteen, even though Bernie was gaining traction in twenty twenty, Representative Clodburn had to come to the rescue in South Carolina in order for Joe Biden to even be relevant. And then obviously with COVID and everything that had transpired and how Trump handled that particular situation, it favored the Democrats. Then you get into office, Biden promised to be a transitional president, a one term president. I'm just here to be as a stop gap to make sure that we can return the normalcy. And then the second he got in and there was no red wave in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Two, he said, hell, we that I ain't leaving it. I ain't leaving And then what happened.
Speaker 4: Touch the ring.
Speaker 1: If you touch the ring, there you go. It's an addiction. It's an addiction, right.
Speaker 6: And then, sure enough, when the red Wave didn't happen and the Democrats won more than anybody expected them to in twenty twenty two, they let them get away with it. And think about it. You call yourself the left, you call yourself a progressive party, and you are standing up at the State of the Union clamping, clapping and chanting four more years for a man that was going to be eighty two once the election, once in the inorguration, they took place with four more years, and the America looked at yourself, have you lost your ever love in mind?
Speaker 1: That's what the hell happened. It's very sep when ain't that damn complicated? There really isn't.
Speaker 3: But that seems to be a cross purposes. Stephen Ah Schmith's Okay, let me let's first take this.
Speaker 1: Okay, please let me take And you are doing it. You're doing a very good.
Speaker 4: Because you are saying you're gonna have me on that show.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, you welcome, come home.
Speaker 4: What time does it take?
Speaker 6: It is it only say am ten am, five days a week, ten am to you.
Speaker 1: Come one day.
Speaker 3: Don't grind me down the week you come one day.
Speaker 4: When you talk about So that's two separate things.
Speaker 3: One is they allowed a what people would consider to be a centrist old guard Democrat to run again for president.
Speaker 4: And then you say, the progressive left wing.
Speaker 3: Is the one that didn't. They didn't choose Joe Biden. They don't have the power in that party. Chuck Schumer is out there, you know, writing eight strongly worded questions to Donald Trump about getting the progressives are the one going people in this country want medicare for all, do something. They're the ones that have a principal agenda that they are going to put forth that all the Democrats have run from in under the guise of we have to be moderate and we have to be centrist. But that doesn't appeal to changing the culture and dynamic of how this government should work by.
Speaker 4: The people, for the people of the people.
Speaker 1: That's a great argument, and I don't disagree. What I'm saying to you is that.
Speaker 4: They're done here.
Speaker 1: What I am saying to you.
Speaker 6: What I am saying to you, however, is that the messenger matters. And when you have somebody in their seventies like Bernie at the time, when you have somebody in their late seventies approaching their eighties like Joe Body, but the GOP is the one that lives on their tradition, old school ways not necessarily want things to change. We want free market capitalism, we want closed borders, we want strong national cure. This is what they say, and that message is resolute and the same and the same and the same.
Speaker 1: Even though their tactics obviously vary.
Speaker 6: When you look at the left, there's always there always seems to be something new, at least in the odds of a lot of people. The Democratic Party looks very, very fragmented. You look at them and you're saying, okay, is it the progressive left is the centrist?
Speaker 1: Who are we viobbing with, who are we flowing with? Who's going to get it done? Who can beat Trump?
Speaker 6: Because we got to think about the competition if Trump. And I've often said this too, they said why is Trump so popular?
Speaker 1: Somebody asked me this a few months ago, and I said, let me tell y'all something.
Speaker 6: You have certain voters out there and they're looking at you, and they say, okay, you know John Stewart's voter. Well, John Stewart's looking at you, and he hears you say, Look, we got to fix our economy.
Speaker 1: We've got to patrol our borders.
Speaker 6: We've got to do a better job of making sure we take care of the desolate and the disenfranchised.
Speaker 1: Think about them, think about small businesses throughout the country, et cetera, et cetera. And then you have.
Speaker 6: Another candidate that comes along and they say, the hell with them. They ain't worth the damn. They're crooks, they're no good bastards. I can't stand them, and you shouldn't either. The American people who voted for Trump are like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we loved it.
Speaker 6: That's what we're talking about, because that's how they feel about our elected officials. So they think they have somebody speaking their language that has enough venom, there, enough hostilities, enough discussed with the nation's capital, and they're saying, he's not one of them. He's one of us. That's why he's popular. But Jade Vance might not be.
Speaker 1: That's why he's popular. But Marco Rubio wants it, that's why he's popular.
Speaker 3: But guy, he's got the touch, He's got the tough demagogue that can do that.
Speaker 1: So in the demagogue again, this may be a one off.
Speaker 3: So who inherits because he can't constitutionally run again?
Speaker 4: Or do you think in the same way that he went?
Speaker 3: And by the way, I don't know if this happens to people when they're talking to you, But all of a sudden, I'm talking much fatter than I've ever talked in my entire.
Speaker 4: Life, and I'm fligging around and I'm moving my hands and I'm doing this, and.
Speaker 2: I've never spoken like this in my entire life.
Speaker 3: And I am scared because I don't know how I'm gonna stop.
Speaker 4: And I keep wanting to say, stephen A.
Speaker 2: Smith, I want to say.
Speaker 4: Your own name.
Speaker 1: That's right, Well, Steven, what's happening to me? Stephen stephen A works? You spoken to me enough? Because if you spoke to me, be enough to be Stephen they not Steven Smith. Really, that's right.
Speaker 4: Do you think I could ever get to the point where it's just stephen A?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think after today you'd like that very much. I think after day you will get that. I'd like that.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm saying because I'm because I'm your brother, You'll do that.
Speaker 2: Listen to it.
Speaker 3: I do want to ask you that because as you so your name now, because as you're observing this, you're pushing those buttons, you're the one saying, as Trump had said, yes, it is corrupt, it is uh.
Speaker 4: These people are bumps.
Speaker 3: They don't have your best And now that has thrust you into that conversation.
Speaker 4: Yes, And the question is.
Speaker 3: That something that appeals to the vanity, is it's something that appeals to your principle, to your morality? Where do you take that interest and how do you and how do you.
Speaker 6: People think people think I'm interested in being an elected official. I have no desire to be that. I'd have to give up a lot of money to do that. First of all, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know what.
Speaker 3: But the rules have changed, and then you don't a lot of my money, only a lot of my money.
Speaker 1: They say I earned my money.
Speaker 4: We've been a mean coin. Would be rolling billions with that.
Speaker 2: But check this out.
Speaker 1: If you were the president, I feel you. I feel you on that.
Speaker 6: But the way I look at it, at the money that I have earned working my ass off all of these years.
Speaker 1: Now, I would have.
Speaker 6: The Curry favor, which means I would be owned, and I ain't having that. So I'm not interested in that at all. But having said that, like I consider you to be in various others, I want to be a major player in terms of a voice and a conduit for change.
Speaker 1: I want to make sure that people know that the BS has got to stop.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I don't mind doing that. I don't mind doing that at all. You want to be a hell raiser. You want to make sure you make people uncomfortable and that they're not going to get away with the bs that they've been getting away with, because I believe white, black, and everything in between. Society as a whole, by and large, are a lot of great, godfirit individuals that can get along just find I think the politicians in this country have served to divide us and paint us against one another for their own selfish deeds, and I think that they have contributed to the demise of this country. So I don't mind calling them out at all. I don't give a damn who it is. It could be a councilman, it could be a mayor, it could be a governor, it could be a senator or a representative, the president themselves.
Speaker 1: I could care less. Whoever needs to go needs to go. And I'm about.
Speaker 3: It's been a pleasure. I do have to say, if you had run for president. Yes, three years ago, when the New York Knickerbockers signed a young point guard named Jalen Brunson, Stephen A.
Speaker 4: Smith went on television might have been an ESPN.
Speaker 3: Yes, sat there and he looked dead in the camera, Yes, right in the eyes, and he said to the people of America, white, black and everything in between, Jalen Brunson ain't the guy. Okay, Yes, to me, that's an impeachable offense, and I would not.
Speaker 1: Have Can I respond? Can I respond?
Speaker 6: Who may first of all, let me say something. Let me say something the president would never say.
Speaker 4: I may never stop talking like this.
Speaker 1: I was wrong.
Speaker 6: I was wrong, which Jayleen Brunton reminds me of, and he reminded me of that night gave six when they beat Boston.
Speaker 1: He always reminds do it every time he says that. But here's the thing.
Speaker 6: At that time, Kevin Durant with Kyrie Irvin was supposed to be arriving in New York. They had missed out on getting those guys, and they gave us Jaylen Brunson.
Speaker 1: Now, I ask you respect.
Speaker 6: Especially at that particular moment in time, k D as in Kevin Durant with Kyrie Irvin, and we are all anticipating them coming to the guarden, okay, and then we find out they.
Speaker 1: Going to Brooklyn.
Speaker 6: They changed their mind at the eleventh hour with Kyrie got Kvie and changing.
Speaker 1: Subject and we got Jalen Brunson.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry the what a crime that I felt that way. Now I don't feel that way now, but at the time. I'm sorry I felt that way.
Speaker 1: I stayed by heart in the contexts.
Speaker 4: And I just want to say to the people when you turned and you.
Speaker 3: Said, and I We'll tell you I saw the soul of Stephen A.
Speaker 4: Smith after dark and I liked what I saw.
Speaker 2: Stephen.
Speaker 3: I say, Turner series for the end of September, and Stephen I said, without YouTube.
Speaker 1: Craig Great, got me right back after day.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody goes chuping tonight before we go.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take him with your os for the rest of the week. Doesie, Bob does what are we going to look at.
Speaker 4: At this week? Oh?
Speaker 12: Huge week coming up, John, I'll be covering all the preparations for this Saturday's epic Pride parade down in d C. Trump cannot stop talking about it. Who knew he was such an ally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the military parade, Donald Trump shone, that's not that's not Pride related.
Speaker 4: That's our military.
Speaker 12: No, I don't think so, John. It's the middle of June. The flags, the flare, the jacked men in uniform who are.
Speaker 2: Serving no.
Speaker 12: Mark my words, those streets will be flooded with seamen.
Speaker 4: You're talking about men who serve in the Navy.
Speaker 11: No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Doesn't hid it?
Speaker 4: Call this week, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Here it is the.
Speaker 14: Moment of this Now, the threat of active military raises a certain question about whether the White House is in the job of de escalation or escalation. And I think that's a fair question to ask, given what we've seen over the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 11: And we are now seen on our screen right now what appears to be a dumpster fire.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 10: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 2: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven tenh Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 11: Plus Paramount Podcasts