Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob Leftsnet's podcast. My guest today is the one and only bb Bule. He'd be good to have you on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm honored to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain the derivation of your name, Bibi.
Speaker 2: Well, I was born on Bastiel Day. My father was in Korea and my mother didn't want to give me a name until he got back. I didn't meet him till I was three weeks old, and the nurses called me Bebe because it meant baby in French, and because I was born on Bastiele Day, they thought it was all very French, so I sort of stuck. And then my mother wanted to name me Courtney, and my father liked. My mother didn't like the spelling, so she made it just Beverly with an E. And my middle name is Lawrence, which is after my grandmother, who is Florence. But my mother didn't like the name Florence, so she dropped the F, so I'm Lawrence is my middle name. And then Buell. This is my father's name.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is your stepfather, your birth father.
Speaker 2: My birth father, But you say it.
Speaker 1: You say in your book that you never really knew your father.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. And it's funny because I never felt that I didn't know him. I just felt like he didn't want to be part of my life. Is basically the way I saw it as a child, and so I think I was always looking for ways to want to be part of his life, but it just didn't work out that way.
Speaker 1: Okay, So subsequent to your birth, did he and your mother ever live together?
Speaker 2: Yes? They did. They divorced when I was two years old.
Speaker 1: So how much contact did you actually have with him?
Speaker 2: Not much at all. And the last time I saw him was on my fifth birthday, and it was a really interesting thing because they my parents had an argument of some kind and as my father was leaving, this dish hit the wall. My mother had thrown something at him, and I just remember running to the elevator and he got on the elevator and he was dressed, very dashing, and I tried to pull the elevator doors open with my little five year old hands. I didn't want him to leave, and I never saw him again until I was about seven or eight months pregnant with live.
Speaker 1: And what were the circumstances there. Why did you suddenly see him?
Speaker 2: Because Todd felt that Todd was pretty certain we were going to have a boy, and I was pretty certain that I was pregnant with a female energy. I sort of knew that and I felt it. But he sort of felt that I had a lot of unfinished stuff with my dad, and he felt that it would be very healthy for me to see my father again before I had a child, even though I was all of twenty three years old, and so Todd had a show in Tallahassee, where my father was living, and I went to that show, uber pregnant, saw my father again for the first time since I was five, and it was interesting, to say the least. I didn't feel unattached to him, and I felt very much like his daughter. We both had the steel blue eyes, and he's tall, and I saw myself, but I didn't really bond with him. And then I didn't see him again until two thousand and eight. I think it was there's a lot of years. My daughters met him once.
Speaker 1: Okay, why did you meet him again in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: Because I believe it or not, he called me after his wife, Mollie the woman that he married. After he and my mom divorced, he called me and he said that he wanted to see me, and that he said that Mollie's wish was that we would see each other again. And did you I certainly did. Absolutely. I went right to him, and I'm really glad that I did. I got to know him for the last five years of his life. He was almost ninety five when he died, and he was an incredibly great man. I there's a lot about him that I don't identify with, but there's a a lot about him that I do identify with. And he was a heroic pilot. You can read about my father. He wrote a book called Dauntless Hell Divers about being a hell diver pilot in World War Two. He did unbelievable things. And the only pictures I ever saw of him, he was all dressed up in his regalia. And people wonder why I'm drawn to people that are sort of regal in their stance or spiffy in their dress, you know.
Speaker 1: So when you connected with him, yeah, you know, like people you read all about these people, they share genes, but they never knew each other, but they get together and they see similarities. Did you see similarities?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was incredible, It was incredible. We have the same laugh and he even has a little lisp like I do. But mine I tried to control most my life. But his height, his he had very long legs and he was lanky, and yeah, and I just I felt like I was meeting somebody that I should know better. But what do you do about that? You really can't change what your destiny is. It was my destiny to have this kind of dynamic. I was, you know, obviously there's a lesson for me in this life, and it has a lot to do with men and father and the importance of acceptance and and wanting to be loved.
Speaker 1: Okay, just before we get there, do you have any step siblings?
Speaker 2: Well, I sort of have a step sibling when my father remarried Mollie, who I adored by the way she was like him. They were free thinkers, very artistic. My father wrote, he wrote two books, and she was an artist and she could draw, and they were very bohemian. They had their martinis at six and you know the whole bit.
Speaker 1: And until Molly came with a child, Yes.
Speaker 2: She came with two. She came with Cheryl and a son who had of all names Happy. His name was Happy and they called him Hap And I just remember thinking, you know, names come in all sizes, like mine was an unusual name. Growing up, people thought Bibie was a weird name. I never went by Beverly, so yes, she came so I happy. I never really got to know Cheryl, only a little bit.
Speaker 1: But okay, let's talk about your relationship with men, because on some level you're famous because of your relationships with all this high sight. Tell me more about how you feel relative to men, not particular individual, but one sex via the other.
Speaker 2: Well, I think as I've gotten older and I've experienced healthy relationships, you know, I've been married to my husband. We're getting ready to have our twenty first wedding anniversary and we've been together for twenty four years. Once I actually experienced commitment and healthy exchanges and where things didn't all just revolve around the other person. I was very much a product of the sixties and the seventies because as much as women were burning their bras and people were burning their draft cards, there was still a suppression. There was still a stigma that went with burning that bra or having more than one boyfriend, or having a child out of wedlock that was still not one hundred percent accepted as it is today. And the choices I made when I was young, I think were based on parental some kind of parental baggage I was carrying from my childhood. I'm really not sure, because I didn't really ponder it. I wasn't a self destructive person, and I wasn't an angry person. I was just a person that was sort of like swirling around like Alice in Wonderland, jumping from mushroom to mushroom. It like sort of like Forrest Gump, but with a higher IQ. I just sort of fell into situations that I think I was obviously meant to experience. And whatever notoriety or recognition I got from relationships, I also got a lot on my own and my input in those relationships, if that means much. I wasn't Sharon Osborne, and I wasn't, you know, a Mamager type person. But I was a very artistic young girl, and I think I craved that around me. It was sort of my fuel, as well as the men that I enjoyed being around.
Speaker 1: What kind of kid were you like growing up. Were you the life of the party, Were you the lone artist? Were you a good student? Bad student? Friends not friends?
Speaker 2: Well, I was dyslexic and ad HD and all the other things that come with a lot of creative energy. But I had a really, really loving mother that sort of understood that I was. Same with me. With my daughter live, I knew she was. She was, you know, a little special as well. And my mother allowed all the art. She never told me to turn my music down. When she saw that I was interested in drawing, she bought me an easel, and she never tried to stifle my love of any kind of craft. I was always very infatuated with art period. I just would sit for hours and look at art books. And that's how I fell in love with Oscar Wilde and just through books, you know, just through looking at lots of pictures and deciding what I identified with.
Speaker 1: And okay, so were you into music before the Beatles? Were the Beatles really a transcendent moment for you?
Speaker 2: Well, the physicality of the Beatles absolutely. Seeing him on the Ed Sullivan Show was a mind blowing experience. I feel bad for anybody that didn't get to experience is that. It was really incredible. It was probably one of the greatest moments of my life. That and the Rolling Stones. But before that, yes, my mother had She liked Patsy Kleine, and she liked Frank Sinatra, and and she liked Hank Williams, and she really loved Eddie Arnold, and so we had There was music in the house a lot. And my mother liked the radio. So when we were in the car, when we had cars with radios, she would let me listen to whatever station I wanted. And I enjoyed listening to a little bit of everything. I sort of had a Shmorgas board. I loved the Everly Brothers and that you know that and that song by Roy Orbison crying that just crat you know. I would just go around the house like a maniac singing that song. And I was very affected by Gypsy rose Lee. Let me entertain, you know. I would get in the shower and sing at the top of my lungs. And so what kind of child was I? I was sort of an entertainer from a very young age, but I didn't there was something missing. I think that's because of the situation with my dad. I never felt like I was enough. I never felt as pretty as the other girls or but of course it was not like that. It's just it's how I felt. So And did I get good grades, No, because I had attention deficit. But there was one subject I was good in, and that was English literature. So any story telling, anything I could read about the Renaissance period, or anything that attracted me in that arena, Greek mythology, romany, astrology, metaphysics, Madame Blovowski, you know, things like that. It really resonated with me. So my mother kind of knew that I didn't have that headspace for wanting to go and go to college, that I was going to sort of learn. I was going to get my education the old fashioned way, kick them in the deep end and see if they swim. And she sent my high school graduation picture to the biggest agent in the world. My mother always fought big and she still does, and I never thought I would get a response, But within three days we were on an airplane to New York City because Eileen Ford had summoned me and that was it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go do a little backfill here. So you were ten when the Beatles came out that was a big thing. Music was everything, and then you were entering ju You're high. Were you a popular girl, did you go on dates? Did you suddenly go wild or were you more separate? What were you like?
Speaker 2: Well? I was in Catholic boarding school for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade. I went to Villa Maria Academy, which was a I came home for holidays in summer. And then in ninth grade, my stepfather got stationed in Newport, Rhode Island, so I went to Saint Catherine's Academy and on Bellevue Avenue. And it was when I was in ninth grade at a school dance that I met Paul Calcil from the group the Colcils. But at the time he was not in the band. He was the one brother besides his other brother Richard, that weren't in the band because the dad just decided they weren't in the band. So, I mean, Paul was kind of a jock, you know. He hung out with my friend Charlie and they liked basketball. So that was my first big fourteen going on fifteen, when I met Paul, and I remember my first slow dance with him. It was the last dance of the Night and Paul Castle comes to me and he asked me if I wanted to dance, and of course I said yes. He was so handsome. They were the most beautiful children. They were just all gorgeous. And so he was about seventeen at the time, and his family was becoming huge. The band was getting big, big, big big. But see I didn't know any of this at the time because I was a rock I listened to rock music. I wasn't really familiar with the Cowciles until hair and then I really knew who they were. And of course the rained to park and other things, so that sort of started the dynamic of my first kiss. My first crush was somebody that went off to the circus. Suddenly Paul's dad decided he was going to be in the band, so Paul was in the Castiles. He was the keyboard players. So no more school dances. Oh. The slow song was blue Velvet, my first Blue Velve. You know, it's incredible. So yeah, so of course we had to sneak off to kiss each other in the backseat of a car. It was all very innocent. There was nothing advanced. There was no third base or fourth base, back then, it was first base and second base, at least in my world. I'm sure other worlds were different, but in my world, and Paul always had the fear of his father looming over him. He had this incredibly strict father. He wasn't allowed to date, he wasn't allowed to go in cars, he wasn't allowed to do any of that stuff. He might as well have been Mormon. I mean, it was crazy, but anyway, they moved to California, and I finished my soft more year in new Portwood Island, and then my family got transferred to Campla June, North Carolina, and that's where I did my junior and my senior year. So finally I was going to normal, a normal public school. I went to campblu June High School. I graduated from there, and was I popular. I was always described I'm going to go buy my yearbook as an individualist and artistic, artistic girl was the so I guess, I guess it. Just it followed me. Was I effervescent, the entertainer, and me had not come out yet as far as being able to stand in front of people and actually own it, you know, that had not happened yet. I was still, I'm not going to use the word shy. I just didn't know yet how to present myself as a confident human that hadn't really hadn't really eluded me yet. So I always had a sense of wonderment. But was I popular? I guess was some kids, the cool kids, kids that liked rock and roll, kids that knew who Blue Cheer were, you know, I I.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, So you talk about those bands, yeah, you know in your book, and that, you know, was the reason we're doing this podcast, Rebel Soul. You talk about seeing the Rolling Stones on one of their first tours. So to what degree were you owning records? To what degree were you going to concerts when you were in high school?
Speaker 2: In high school, Oh, well, I didn't go to a whole lot of concerts, that's for sure, And it wasn't until I was a senior. But I did see the Rolling Stones. But I was only twelve when that happened. That was July fourth, nineteen sixty six, at the Virginia Beach Dome B Shepherd Convention Center. My best friend since fifth grade, Joni Gross, and I went and it changed my life. You know. I was the kid that got into the newspaper for walking up to the stage with my instematic camera to take some pictures, and I got pushed by the stage was lined with cops. And that was my first taste at twelve going on thirteen. In ten days I would turn thirteen. What a baptism of Keith Richards actually coming to the edge of the stage and telling the cop to leave me alone. He sort of took his foot and nudged him. He didn't do a full on Keith, but he did a little nudge, not a kick, but a nudge, you know, to let the police officer know that I could take my picture. And boy did I never forget that, you know. So I was the kid that after I started clicking, I got a picture of Brian Jones playing Harmonica in his print pinstripe suit. Once I did that, the rest of the kids were able to push up a little bit more and it became a lot more fun. But so at that moment, I felt very connected to the spirit of what I was indulging. I felt very confident when I went up there to take my picture, and I wasn't going to let anybody stop me. And so after that, I think I went to a couple of those kind of gigs where they would have multiple people on the gig, you know, like Hermit's Hermit's and Sonny and Cher and Gary and the Pacemakers or something like that, and everybody would play like ten or fifteen minutes. And I know that Jamie Hendricks opened for the Monkeys when I lived in Newport and which was a strange tour for Hendrix to be on, But I didn't go to that. But in high school, I mean I would always go to the school dances and you know, we would always go to the canteen and we would always dance and all the you know, local bands and stuff. So when I was a senior in high school, that's when I met my first became friends with a local band that was big enough to open for Johnny Winter. So so my big, my first big concert where I got to be backstage and and s see a band like Johnny Winter, and which was so amazing when Rick Darringer was in the band, and I'm talking about the lineup after Zanga, after Rick's brother Randy had left, when it was just the trio, Oh my god, and you know, you know, I got it just it was a chain reaction. It just sort of started after that, but most of the concerts I went to that all started. I think I saw the James Gang when I was in and they were great. It's funny that Ted Nugent the and boy Duke's played with the James Gang, and I never liked Isn't it funny? Never liked Ted NuGen There was just something about that guy that creeped me out from the very beginning. I don't know if it was my Catholic schoolgirl radar or what it was, but he just creeped me out. I remember telling Dale Peters from the James Gang, he was the bass player, that that guy, that guy is so weird. You know. I was young, so I didn't know what other names to call him. I didn't know it was going to be like, you know, all the things I could say. But it's interesting I had even a little bit of a radar even then. I was blessed with some kind of protective thing. God only knows how I made it out alive some of the situations I got myself into in life, and I just feel, whatever it is, you roll with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back. Your mother writes a letter to Eileen Ford, Did you want to be a model or did your mother want you to be a model?
Speaker 2: I wanted to get to New York City. I wanted to meet Andy Warhol. I wanted to look at I wanted to meet the people I saw in Vogue magazine. And I wanted to be around that was my tribe. To me, that was my sole tribe. And I wanted to be where they where that was. And I always told my friends this too. I'm still my best friend from high school, Tim Sullivan, he lives in the Chelsea Hotel. He's one of the people that's been there for thirty years, so they couldn't get him to leave even when they rent oed. But he I wasn't surprised at all with the way my life went because I told him that, you know, I was going to get to New York. I thought I was going to be a singer. I thought I was going to be like Nico or something. I thought I was going to or Marianne Faithful. I sort of wanted to be a chantoose. But I was a little too rocking. There was like that my body language, my aura, everything about me was not as delicate, you know. I just I guess the term rock chick. I guess it's just in my pedigree and my DNA or whatever it is. But I just wanted to get to New York. And I'll be honest, I didn't even know what would happen when my mom sent those pictures and when Eileen's responded, my mother tried to explain to me, look, if you're not going to go to college, you really have to have a good job to work. And I thought, Okay, I get it. Maybe this will be fun. And you know, I loved fashion magazines and I loved all the great supermodels, and I loved Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton and Patty Boyd and Jane Asher and it was all on my radar. So I wanted to be more like that, like Jane Barkin. I wanted to be more so. Of course, Eileen she signed me immediately. I was signed him for it in ten minutes. It happened very fast, and they put me in Saint Mary's Woman's Residence. I was very used to being around nuns, but I wasn't able to keep my curfew. You had to be in by midnight when you were in Saint Mary's and I was starting to meet friends, and we used to go dancing at this place called hip hopon him. And then when I met Todd, I met Todd, and then the whole.
Speaker 1: A little bit slower when you went to New York. When you went to New York, you were going to the mecca. Were you convinced you were going to meet all these people? Were you driven? Did you say I'm gonna make it? Or were you just blindly bumping into things?
Speaker 2: It was blind? I you know, I try to take more credit for this fabulous life that I've been given, but actually I can't because all I did was manifest whatever my dreams were, and I would just do what I was taught. Be kind to people, be respectful, have good manners, and be honest and be direct. And so I just sort of I allowed whatever that inner voice is to sort of take me left or right.
Speaker 1: Okay, But there were other models staying at Saint Mary's. How did you meet people? And you go out dancing. You're a single attractive model in New York. You know a lot of people are going to be interested in talking to you.
Speaker 2: Right, I met, I mean I met I remember I met the DJ Frankie Crucker, because he would go and dance, and he loved to dance with all the pretty girls and he would. But you know, that was back when it was not so much about picking up. You would go to these dance clubs to actually dance. It was kind of interesting. It wasn't like I mean, I'm sure some people picked each other up, but I never gave off that. I was never hunting, you know, I was never looking for boyfriends. As a matter of fact, I didn't have any boyfriends until I met Todd. He was my first boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Okay, but were you sexually experienced when you met Todd?
Speaker 2: Not as much as some seventeen eight ten year old girls. Yeah, I mean I kind of was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, how'd you meet Todd?
Speaker 2: Well? That was that was what changed my life. I was hanging out with this guy that Aileen Ford approved of because she thought he was gay, but he wasn't. And he started actually dating one of the biggest models in New York and right under Eileen's nose, but she let all the girls go out dancing with him. His name was Richard, and he was really nice and he he asked me what I wanted to do, and I said, you know, Let's go see man. I had gone to see Man of La Mancha with my mother when I was a little girl in New York, and I wanted to go relive that moment, so I said, let's go see Man of La Mancha. So he took me to see Man of La Mancha. But on the way, Richard says to me, we have to make a stop on East thirteenth Street. I have to drop these tapes off to Todd Runggren. And he said, do you know who that is? And I was like, no, who's that? And he said, have you ever heard the song Hello? It's me? And I was like, uh, yeah, yeah, And he goes that guy he's going, he's gone solo. And he started to tell me about this famous manager named Albert Grossman was managing him and he's going to be a big star, and that he had these tapes that he had done over at this place called Secret Sound with Moogie Klingman or something, and that he needed to drop them off to Todd. So we pull up in front of two oh six East thirteenth Street, the same block that that scene in Taxi Driver where Jody leans up against the building when she's out to get a hooker or two or whatever. So he pulls the car up, but it was really a scary neighborhood in those days. He told me to stay in the car, and I was like, I'm not staying in the car, you know. So he had to throw a penny up to Todd's window because Todd didn't have a doorbell, and so he threw a coin up to Todd's window. And this guy looked out the window, this guy, this multi colored hair. He looked like, you know that toy, my little pony. He sort of looked like my little pony. He was like a horse with rainbow hair, but a beautiful, a good looking horse, you know, a stallion. So but he so he came running down the stairs to get the tapes, and the exchange was made, and that's when I met him. Todd said, oh, who's your friend, Richard? And you know, Richie said, oh, that's my friend baby. She's moved here from Virginia. You know, she's she's a model, she's with the four modeling agency, blah blah blah. And it's just you know, like he goes, oh great. You know, he was just wanting the tapes and he was going to go up and do his thing. So I met him, and I, you know, I of course was immediately drawn to him. I think we were drawn to each other. I think it was just some kind of written in the heavens. I don't know how healthy the whole thing was, but I think we had to go through it, whatever it was.
Speaker 1: But yeah, okay, so what are you living on? Are you going? You know, there's a lot of looks see are you getting booked? Are you working a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yes? I was doing a lot of testing. You know, you have to get a portfolio really really together, locked in. So Eileen was sending me off to meet photographers, but they would like me. So I was doing bookings for my Bride's magazine. That was my first big booking, and I would do Butterick and McCalls patterns, you know, I was doing some catalog. Eileen felt that I needed a little a little experience in front of the camera. But it was it was photographers that that saw that I had an edge that really enjoyed working with me. So I started to really make I started to get momentum. But then when I met Todd, that moved very quickly and I moved in with Todd and before I Oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, let's park that for a second. You had the time before Todd. If we looked solely at your modeling career, how much modeling did you actually do in your life?
Speaker 2: In my life, yeah, or in those months before I went in my life, I think if you were going to put it into I think my best years where I really worked the most, were between seventy four and seventy eight, So as far as professional modeling, those were the best years.
Speaker 1: Okay. And were you doing well full time? I know we were with Todd at that point, but that was the beginning of the era of the supermodel.
Speaker 2: Well, that started in the eighties, and I had already stopped modeling, but I still was photographed heavily. Even when I wasn't modeling for income people were I was photographed quite a lot. I was the subject of mini photographers.
Speaker 1: Okay, there are end pictures, but modeling takes a lot of effort and it's a lot of work. Did you actually enjoy doing it?
Speaker 2: No, of course I didn't. Only time I did was when I was in London. That was when I really buckled under and I lived the life of a very very busy, hard working model where I would go to bed every night, not party. I mean there were times when Mick Jagger would call and say let's go to tramp and I would be like, not tonight, Mick, I've got a big booking tomorrow and I have to get some sleep. Oh darling, I'll have you back. And I was like, no, no, you don't understand. This is really important. I really want this client, you know. So I was being very disciplined. And then the photographer, ironically, when you hear his last name, it's kind of funny. The photographer that really legitimized me and got me on the pages of Vogue was named Clive Arrowsmith and this was in seventy six. And it was in the fall of seventy six that Stephen Tyler from Aerosmith became the father of my child. Well, he didn't become. He impregnated me, as I we impregnated each other. So it's funny. I look at some of the synchronicities and some of the abstract occurrences, and no, I from seventy two to like seventy I did Playboy in seventy four, and you know, I made some money for that, but I would do a gig now and then, just to make some money so that I could just be whatever. I didn't even know who I was. I didn't know what I wanted to be. All I knew was that music was my passion, and I kept my little notebooks with all my lyrics, and I just didn't know how to I didn't know how to get there. I didn't know how to do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you were in Playboy. There have been some famous people in the fifties. Once you hit the sixties and seventies, they tended to be unknown. You were not completely unknown. Of course, as time went on, a lot of known people ended up doing it, But when you were doing doing it, most people were relatively faceless in terms of impact in the culture. How did you decide to do it and what was the result of doing it?
Speaker 2: Oh, my goodness, it's it's just such a it's a crazy story. Uh. Todd was friends with a photographer named Lynn Goldsmith, and she wanted to photograph me, and I said sure. So she came over to our townhouse and Todd was in the studio, and we had a lot of props because Todd had all these fantastic jackets and hats and you know, all kinds of fun things top hats that I love. And she is a little by little, the picture started getting less and less clothed, and before I knew it, Lynn Goldsmith was photographing me nude with feathers around my neck. So I was eighteen years old, nineteen years old, and no wait when this happened, I was nineteen and going on twenty. And so she took the first nude photos of me, and they were really good and in classic Lynn style, she wanted you know, them to be published somewhere. I mean, they were good enough. She was really good photographer. So she showed them to Playboy. She showed them to Penthouse, which I objected to. I did not like that magazine at all. But Playboy was something that, as my friend Patty Smith called it at the time, very American pie, very American, very uh pepsi cola, very you know, Mickey Mouse, part of the culture. And there were some iconic people like Bridget Bardoux and even Linda Evans, and you know a lot of very beautiful women of the times, Betty Paye, you know, a lot of girls had done it. The Barde bread I remember seeing there were these pictures of she and Jane Barkin. But anyway, Todd had a girlfriend before me. Let's see, I think Patty Smith. He was dating Patty Smith and he had this another girlfriend, and but she broke his heart. She was like the girl that broke his heart. But he sort of always carried a torch for her, or at least I thought he did. And there was talk that she she was going to be a Playboy centerfold. And when I heard that, I said to Lynn, what did played? You know, Let's show those pictures the Playboy. So Lynn showed the pictures the Playboy, and yeah, they bit right away, and they me to Chicago. That's when everything happened in Chicago. That's when Hefner lived in the Chicago mansion. And I went and I did a test test shoots for two days, and my test shots ended up being the pictorial ended up being the whole thing, except for the centerfold that was shot in New York City on one of those cameras as I forget what they're called, but they're prehistoric now. But it's the one you have to slide the thing in and out of, and the plate and the whole bit and you can't move, You like, have to stay in the position you're in until they say and you can't breathe. You can't do anything. People. If anybody thinks it's sexy, it's it's not. It's it's it's hard work. It's it's not glamorous shooting these pictorials. I know people think it is, but it's not. And it's just like doing a modeling job, except you're just not promoting clothes. You're promoting something else. I'm not even sure what, because I didn't really have much on my mind, if you want to know the truth, except that I wanted the pictures to be good. I wanted them to be okay. That was, you know, basically the way I was thinking. But I also wanted when I found out okay. So then I found out this girlfriend was going to be Miss April, so I thought Miss April. So I actually went out and bought myself a shamrock necklace because I thought if I wore a shamrock that I might be Miss March, so that I would maybe beat her to the punch. I mean, you used to make su your brain do crazy things. But it turns out I became Miss November. So she came out before I did.
Speaker 1: But you wanted to be a shame woman who had dated Todd previously.
Speaker 2: Yes, her name was Marlene, and he even wrote a song about.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah Marlene Marlene, Yes, yea.
Speaker 2: And she she was that girl, beautiful and she and I actually became really good friends. Where's she today, Well today, I'm not really sure. I think she had some tragedies in her life, and I think she even later in life, became homeless and things, and I think she had some problems. But at that time she was young and vivacious and beautiful and a friend. You know, I actually liked her. I took my first trip to London and actually stayed with her. And this was can you believe it? But I liked her. But she was madly in love with Don Arden's son, one of the Arden boys. I think I can't remember which one. But she wasn't interested in Todd. And this was what was so sad about it, because here I was thinking that his heart belonged to her, but she didn't love him, you know, it was just it was just she wanted a businessman. She wanted a successful man with lots of money. Little did she know Todd became very, very wealthy after that. But I don't know, it's just so I never became Miss Marched. So here I am this Miss November with a shamrock around my neck. So everybody thought, for sure, I must be irish, But it just it was just a moment. It was a whim but it changed my life drastically in the sense that there was no more fashion career for me. In America, it was very taboo for a fashion model of my status to become a Playboy centerfold, let alone pose in the magazine. And as you know, in the eighties, John Costablanca turned that around and every supermodel and their dog wanted to be in Playboy, and so the mystique was still very heavy when I did it. So I carried the weight of that around and it was very hard for me. I got booked with Cosmopolitan or Viva, you know, the women's magazines that were kind of sexy. But it wasn't until I went to Europe in seventy five seventy six that I did all my most beautiful, legitimate work. They just didn't care about nudity. In Europe. It was like, okay, so what you've been in Playboy who Cares?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're missed November. Yeah, the magazine at the time was selling millions of copies. Young boys were infatuated with the playmates. But you were living in a relatively insular model rock and roll world. Were people recognizing you on the street. Did you get fan mail any of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do get fan mail, but it all goes to Playboy and then they give you, like a couple times a year, a big envelope with your fan mail. But I actually had boxes of it. They they called me and they said, we can't send you an envelope. We've got six boxes for you. So when you know, I had when Todd was touring, I had them pick up the boxes for me, the crew on one of the tours, so that I could read the fan mail. And I still have some of it. I kept some of it because it was They would make drawings, maybe beautiful letters, and it was very sweet, you know. Yeah, so yeah, you do get recognized a little bit. But in the world that I was living in, it was all about the rock star, you know. I you know, maybe maybe I was looked upon as an embellishment, who knows, but I do know that it changed the way people reacted to me. I think men especially thought that I must be this wild beast in bed, or that I must be a sexual, you know, an inphomaniac or something. I don't know. Posing nude conjures up a lot of stuff, and and and people treat you differently, they really do. They sort of take for granted that you're you're a sexual being and that you're there for the sexual aspect. So it's it's, yeah, you know you are. We're all sexual beings. But at the time, I was so confused about everything in my life that sex was really not the most important thing on my mind, and I was just trying to find my way.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's one other thing about models. There's a lot of publicity about how models have to stay ultra thin, they can't eat anything, there's pressure on looks. To what degree did you feel that then, and to what degree do you still feel it?
Speaker 2: Well? I didn't even I didn't abide by it. I was never a skinny, skinny girl. I've never my daughter's never been a skinny, skinny girl. I never adhered to that demand, and quite frankly, I'll be honest, it was never demanded of me. Nobody ever said to me, oh, you need to go lose one hundred pounds. I mean one time I did one booking when I was three months pregnant with my daughter, where they asked me, you know, if I wanted to do some paternity dresses for their you know, for the paternity catalog.
Speaker 1: And I remember it being maternity. I think you mean maternity.
Speaker 2: Did I say paternity? I like that.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, that was the subject of my entire life at that point. So yeah, that was the paternity issue. But no, thank you for correcting that. It's like prescription and subscription, you know, and it was just.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to Todd now. So you have this exchange of glances, then you go uptown with Richard. When did you next see Todd?
Speaker 2: What? What? What did you say?
Speaker 1: You say that you met Todd when your friend Richard was tapes, But really you and Richard were going up town.
Speaker 2: Yeah wait, no, I think where we were going was wherever Man of La Mancha was playing.
Speaker 1: Okay, well on Broadway. So in any event, uptown from where Todd was. When did you next make contact with Todd?
Speaker 2: It was about two days later, he invited He's He told Richard that he was having some friends over to his to his place. They were, you know, just smoke some weed and you know, just to hang out. And he was living with his friend Paul Fishkin. And I mean there was another incident before that, but Todd hates it when I tell it. So I'm just gonna blet.
Speaker 1: Just because I'm injured. You don't have to tell. Why does Todd hate it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hates it because he doesn't like to admit that he ever did something so romantic. But he did.
Speaker 1: Okay, we won't make it tell it, so, okay, there's that other incident.
Speaker 2: But anyway, there was there was the incident where I ran into him and his dog because he was very near my modeling agency. I'll word it like that. He just happened to be sitting on the steps of where Ford Models is on fifty ninth Street, and he lives on thirteenth Street, so God only knows why he was there. He had facetiously Okay, No, I mean he said he was bringing his dog, Puppet, who was pregnant, to the vet. Now that's very possible because Puppet was pregnant and she did give birth to Furberger, who became my dog. But yes, but anyway, I just thought that was all very sweet and interesting. And then Richard calls me at the woman's residence and says, oh, I got a call from Todd and he's invited us over, invited me over, and he told me I could bring that friend of mine again if I wanted. So I remember that Richard at the last minute didn't want to go. He goes, I'm not gonna go. You go ahead and go, though they're you know, they're expecting you. So I got there and I did the thing where you throw the penny, and Todd didn't look out the window. Paul Fishkin did and I had not met Paul yet, so he looked out the window and he goes, oh, babe, I'll come right down, and you know, lets me in. And I walk in and it's just Paul and two girls that seemed very very nice, you know. They were one of them looked like she might work at a record company. That was. They were just hanging out rolling joints, doing the stuff we did back then, and Todd had just gotten a new Sony trena Tron colored TV, so everybody was having fun with the rabbit ears and the whole bit, and then about five minutes after that, Todd comes in and that was that. I don't we didn't spend a day apart after that. That was that? Was it? Hot?
Speaker 1: Long after that? Did you move in with him?
Speaker 2: Did I move in? I would say it happened about three weeks. I think he was going on the road as well, and Puppet was pregnant, and there was a girl that he had staying there, but he didn't want her to stay there anymore because he didn't want her to think they had a relationship. And so he said, look, you know, the nuns were giving me a hard time about curfew, and my mother was calling all the time, and Eileen Ford was losing her mind and very angry at me because I was sleeping instead of going on go sees, and I was being naughty. Let's face it, I was being a rebel, and so he said, why don't you just come stay here? And that's how it sort of happened. I got to the apartment and it obviously needed to be cleaned, it obviously needed to be organized, and Paul was never there. His room and his cat was in the back and Todd's whole world was in the front, and then there was a kitchen and a bathroom. It was a typical dog bone a New York City apartment, but with beautiful high ceilings and gilded gold. It was really beautiful, a pre war building, but it was, you know, it was small, and it was old, and the rent was something like three hundred dollars a month. And so Todd went on the road. I stayed Ferberger was born.
Speaker 1: Do you happen to remember what year?
Speaker 2: This is nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 1: Okay, so something anything has been released and he's on tour supporting That.
Speaker 2: First night, the first night I stayed with Todd. I it's a funny story because this pot was so strong, and he had bush Mill's Irish whiskey, and I drank a little of that before I knew it. It was the next morning. I literally put my head on his lap and did not wake up until eight o'clock the next morning. And it was really funny because we just sort of fell as he fell asleep sitting up and I fell asleep on his lap. But I woke up and he went to play me. He said he wanted to play me a song off his new album, and it was Black Mariah. He wanted to play me Black Mariah, and his stereo blew up some kind it was really weird. Some kind of weird technical thing happened. But of course he got back there and he tinkered and he fiddled and he did all of his genius stuff that he always did. I don't know if it was real, if he was just trying to impress me, because I was very impressed. I thought, boy, my friend is Albert Einstein. You know, he he knew exactly what to do and what tubes and what things to press. And before I knew it, the music is coming out of the speakers, and you know, he plays me the album. And I remember when I heard the song Marlene. I wanted to know all about it, I said, And I said, who's Marlene? He said, Oh, she's a girl that I, you know, really loved and and but we're not together and blah blah blah. And and his best friend at the time was Patti Smith, and it was important to him that I met her. He wanted her opinion of me, and then I became Then I became fast friends with Patty. I just hit it off with her, like a house on fire because she got it that I wrote in my poetry books, and she got my stupid poems. She liked them. I wrote this poem, this poem one time that it goes you needle, you pen, you prick, And she loved that. She said, that's three lines. That's real poetry, Beatie, that's real. Keep going, keep going. And she was very encouraging, you know, to that side of me, whereas Todd would listen and he would say, oh, that's good, Yeah, that's really good or something like that, but he would never say like, oh, keep it up, or you know, he was never like, I don't know. I don't know how to explain what it's like to live with somebody of that magnitude of genius, because basically all they think about all day is the next genius move. They're like chess players, which way are we going to move the rourk? You know, which way are we going to move the king? It's like their brains are always looking at the next challenge.
Speaker 1: Well, did you end up feeling outside? I mean, you had boyfriends before. Do you feel like I'm with him but really he's in his own world.
Speaker 2: Well, I think anybody that knew Todd felt that way because Todd was constantly, constantly in front of a screen. He had a computer before anybody on earth had a computer. He had a computer before Bill Gates had a computer. He had computers, he had animation, He had all of these very complicated technical stuff, you know, way before anybody. And he was very obsessed with it. You know, he would spend literally hours doing his stuff. But yeah, he would go to Maxis, he would go to concerts, he would hang out, he would get dressed up. I was this social director. I called it. It was funny because I would say, Todd, You've got to get up for a minute. You've got to go out. You've got to say hi to people. Alice keeps asking about you and wondering when we're gonna all hang out again. You know. It was stuff like that. You know, we would go see really great shows. We would go see Alice Cooper at Madison Square Garden or Peter Gabriel Gabriel at the Felt Forum, or my favorite show still to this day, this is the best lineup ever. Was First, we start with lou Reed and this is during the period where he had the white bleached terre and he simulated simulated shooting up on stage. Then Hall and Oates came on after that. You can imagine that, Dinas right, and then Al Green closed out the night. That was like one of the best triples I ever. You know, got got to and and Todd. Todd was at that and we went backstage, and I remember Mick was there too, and it was quite a night. But yeah, you meet everybody through that whole social circle. So everybody I met was somebody that I met socially at a party, at a gathering, but most of us gathered and met at Max's. That was sort of our living room, Max's, Kansas City. But Todd, I'll be honest, he loved women, and women loved him, and he was a bit of a womanizer when he was on the road. But that was not his image. That was not what people thought of him at all. People thought of the Todd that was always buried with his face in a computer or in some kind of musical environment.
Speaker 1: He was he faithful? Was he faithful when he was home?
Speaker 2: I'm not positive, you know, I'll be honest. We were all so young and everybody was running around like like kind of KOOKI I remember Leonard Cohen would call, and Todd would always know it was going to be Leonard, and he would go, if you want to answer it, it's crazy Leonard, because Leonard would want to come over and he would get extremely drunk. But see, I hadn't put together who Leonard Cohen was yet. I was too young, but Todd got it, and I just remember Leonard came over one night and he was super drunk, but he was super charming. And Todd went off to go fiddle with some electronic device because he and I was left sitting there with Leonard Cohen, and I remember he picked up one of Todd's guitars and he said, I'm not a very good guitar player, he goes, but I'm a great writer. And so I said okay, and he started singing and I almost fainted. It was like it was bordered on a religious experience. It was very profound. But he was such a handful, oh, such a handful, and I sort of felt sorry for him. I didn't realize, you know, the degree of his Leonard cohenness, if that makes any sense. He was just crazy Leonard to me, because that's what Todd called him. But I, you know, I liked him. I thought he was a little kookie. So I would let He would call and he'd say, where are you going tonight? And I was, I'm going to go to the plaza, or I'm going to go to I'm going to go to the tiki bar at the plaza, or I'm going to go here or there. Can I come, you know? And I would say sure, and he would come along, and usually he would get so drunk that, you know, somebody would have to end up taking him home in a cab or something. You know, we never we never dated, you know, we were just buds. I know that sounds weird. And I remember one of the it left such an impact on me. One of the sweetest things anybody that's ever said to me was was Leonard Cohen. And you know, I just said to him, I said, I don't know what you're expecting from our friendship, you know, I I don't know if you I know you have plenty of girlfriends, because he did. He was always talking about the women in his life and about Greece, and you know, he was always talking about all kinds of dilemmas and drama and and and he said, you know, I just really really really enjoy being around you. He goes, I just enjoy your company. I enjoy our discussions. And he said, my favorite are the alien discussions. And so we would talk about aliens. And so that was my Leonard Cohen. But you know, one day I never never heard from Leonard again, none of us did. He obviously left New York, but he didn't tell anybody where he was going or say goodbye to anybody. Just one day, Leonard wasn't there anymore.
Speaker 1: To what degree did you know Albert and Sally Grossman?
Speaker 2: Oh? I knew them very well, Albert, especially Albert, and I I got along with Albert. You know, I've watched some of the greatest managers in the world up close and personally, and you know, watching people like Albert Grossman, Peter Grant, watching these people in action, it's it's unbelievable. It's like Albert was apples and oranges to a Peter Grant. But Albert, when Todd got the house up in a Lake Hill or Bearsville, Woodstock area, we were always over at Albert's house. I remember little intimate dinners. I remember one night it was me, Todd, Albert, and Paul Butterfield and you know, the boys were talking and I sort of felt like, well, why am I here? Because but it was always my go to whenever I wanted to get anybody's attention and get the topic off whatever deal they were talking about. We'd start talking about aliens and that brought Butterfield right in. Oh my god, yeah, Butterfield wanted Oh he was all on it. He was like, oh yeah, let's talk about it. You know, it was it was my go to, so whenever I wanted to really jab a conversation, I even used that trick when I was at tea with Savador Dolli. You know, they were all talking about a lot of stuff. I remember being in the room with an Ocelot, his wife Gala, Truman Capoti, and a Mendelier And this was just from him inviting me to tea because I met him at the Saint Regis newsstand. We would go to the foreign news stand there at the Saint Regis to see our modeling pictures from Europe because it was one of the foreign news stands and he was living there. So that's how I met Savador Dolli. So when I say it about the Forrest Gump stuff, I mean it in the sense that, for some weird reason written in the Evans, for some I was meant to cross the paths of certain people whose paths that I crossed.
Speaker 1: Okay, you mentioned Peter Grant along with Albert Roseman. He said, you learned about management? What did you learn seeing them up close?
Speaker 2: Well, Peter Grant was ruthless. He was a very, very very large man, as you know. But you know that that organization used a lot of violence in their dealings with people that annoyed them, which was the opposite with Albert. Albert liked to get together and celebrate through food and gathering. He even had tps on his property, you know, tpiece that you could go sit in and meditate and smoke cash. And it's different worlds. When you were around Peter Grant or around that zeppelin, it was like hanging out with a bunch of gangsters. You know the van were you know De Niro and Pacino and you know they were the it it's hard to put into words. When you hung around with Albert, it was like being at the king's castle. You would go hang out at his world and his compound, at his beautiful house, and beautiful food would be served.
Speaker 1: And how about did you see any of his negotiation business techniques?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I would see the way he treated his artists, and I remember, did I ever see him actually negotiate deals or anything? Oh?
Speaker 1: You know, you see these people in action, they talk business. Did you learn any lessons from Albert?
Speaker 2: What I learned from Albert is is he had a baritone kind of voice, and he spoke very softly. But when Albert wanted to make a point, and when Albert wanted to really get his Albert and this out there, suddenly the voice would become like that and it would get very strong and powerful. I mean, just to show you the kind of manager he was. I was pregnant with live and I was in one of our vehicles, I think the jeep. It had snowed, and I Todd was on the road as usual, and I was driving down mean Collo Road with my friend Jean, and suddenly another car came from the other direction, driving way too fast and to be in the snow. Thank god, I was more in my lane, even though it was a narrow road. But of course we hit and they had their kid in the back of the car with no seat belt. Nothing but that was before anybody wore seat belts anyway, And I just remember getting out of the car and I was pretty shook up. Everybody was, you know, Jean was especially worried about me because I was pregnant, but I was okay. Everybody was okay, but the cars were really fucked up, and I just remember having my wits about me, and I just went to the first house, which was right there, and I called Albert. Because we didn't have cell phones and stuff, then I had to like get on somebody's landline and call him. And I told him, Albert, I've just had an accident on mean Collo. He was there so quickly like that, and he had me hustled off and I said, Albert, he goes, just go home. I'll handle everything. And he had a big pile of money and he had somebody take me and my girlfriend off in another car. And that's the last I ever saw of that accident. Wow.
Speaker 1: So in any event, let's you know, you're Todd at the time is working a lot. He's putting out a lot of albums, and he's also producing a lot of albums successfully. To what degree was he telling you about them, and did you have input or did he keep that totally separate from you?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, No, We always talked about his music because see, I loved it. When he played me the stuff he was coming up with for Wizard or True Star, everybody hated it, and they were giving him a lot of shit, and they were telling him that it was too much and that it was going over everybody's head and that it was not the right kind of follow up to something anything. But when he would play me the stuff, I thought it was incredible. I loved it. So he wasn't getting any shit from me. I loved utopia. And when he took me to see that Sphinx and that hangar in Kingston, New York, it was so big it had to be an an airplane hangar. And he used to fly off that thing every night, upside down with a with no harness, just raw. And so I supported it. Even though it people thought I enabled it. Instead of that I supported it, they thought I enabled it. See that you people that are making money off of you always want to have somebody to blame if the money isn't going to go the way they they they hope it goes because of a change in direction. And with Todd. This was an extreme change in direction from what he had been doing previously, you know, as as the Todd Rungren solo records, and and then suddenly to come back with a Wizard or True Star and then to form Utopia. It was it was a lot of pressure, a lot of pressure for him. He went through a lot, but he was producing big records, so he was making money. You know, he was producing Grand Funk Railroad, he was producing Hall and Oates, he was producing records. He produced Fanny. I remember that was fun. I remember when he produced Fanny. But you know, he was really in demand as a producer, so he had the money and the freedom, you know, to have a nice townhouse on Horatio Street, which we had, and a home up in the Woodstock area.
Speaker 1: Did you ever go to the studio Did he discuss any of the projects when he was recording other people?
Speaker 2: Yes, I always did, always, and I would sometimes even fall asleep under the council and you know, I'd had pillows and blankets. Yeah. Todd had a studio house where the drums were downstairs, but the control room was upstairs. So when he recorded by himself, he would have to go down and play the drums and run back upstairs because he didn't have an engineer there. So at one point he taught me how to stop and start the tape machine so that he didn't have to keep running up there. So there were times when he would, you know, have me do that, that would be my duty. Like he would do a track and I would have the headphones on and he would tell me hit the button, hit the button. So yeah, I mean I was definitely around for I saw a lot. Absolutely, I saw a lot. I was around for a lot of conceptual stuff. I was definitely around for a lot of the makeup and the costumes and some of the crazy stuff Nicky Nichols came up with. Yeah, I was. I was a part of a part of it all.
Speaker 1: So how did it end?
Speaker 2: Not? Well, well, I don't even I don't want to be so general, just from a lack of complete clarity. I mean, we just didn't really communicate with each other properly. We were so young, and we were both very unfaithful, and I think my reasons for being unfaithful were very different from his. But he met somebody that he fell in love with, and then I and I met somebody that I fell in love with and it we drifted apart. And but yet the person that I fell in love with was just crazy off the rails. It was to the point where I couldn't handle it. It was too much of the white pro moving and marching powder. It was just too many drugs, too much, too much, too much that lifestyle, that Aerosmith lifestyle at that point in history. I've never seen anything like it. And people say, well, what about the Rolling Stones, And I'll say, you know, it was very different because I always knew. Notice that the boys and the Stones they sort of had their They knew when to stop. Maybe not Keith, but Mick certainly did. Mick was always very smart about when to make an exit, about when not to do that next line, about when not to do that shot. You know, Mick was very always practical. There was no practicality within the Aerosmith camp at that point. So I was very scared. And at this point, Todd had really become the father, the father figure. That's why I called him the Todd Father. And he took me back. I know he wants to blame me for that, but.
Speaker 1: But wait, wait, literally, how did he take you back? You were living in a different place.
Speaker 2: Well not really. I hadn't moved out. My stuff was all still in our houses. I wasn't we weren't separated yet or anything like that. He basically, you know I I had lived, went back to Woodstock with him. He we got rid of the house on Horatio Street, and he pretty much told me. He told me about about Karen, about Karen Darvin, the girl that was the girl he had fallen in love with. It was Bruce Springsteen's former girlfriend, and he had met her in Dallas, and he told me about her, and it just it just became extremely difficult because it felt to me like, well, if you had fallen in love with this woman while I was pregnant, why didn't we pursue any doubts about paternity? There's that word again, before all these grand decisions were made. I gave him the opportunity when I was seven months pregnant. I said, I'm very concerned that this is going to be a decision that you're gonna that's going to become a problem. I was concerned, and he seemed to want to take on this mammoth responsibility. He nobody ever tried to fool him or tell him that Live was his baby. Nobody ever did that that. I don't know how that rumor got started or why people say that, but nobody lied to him and said, Todd, you know it's your child. That That's not how it happened. He knew where I was for two months, he knew I was with Steven. He knew that. So when I came home scared to death and he took me back, he knew all of that. So chronologically it's really impossible for him to have been the father. Does that make any sense? And what happened was I think whatever reasons he had for wanting to take that step, I don't know if it was for control. I don't know if he was really concerned about Live's well being. I don't know if he still loved me. There's probably a variety of reasons, and probably a little bit of all of the above. But as soon as Live was born, it it was obvious this wasn't going to work, and it was obvious that he loved somebody else, and it was very very obvious that and he had He got me an apartment. Patty Smith, of all people, helped him pick it out because he wanted her guidance, what do you think Bobe would like and what would be a good apartment to raise a baby in, you know, and found me an apartment on fifty eighth Street. He certainly wanted to get me out of that downtown, didn't he. So there I was on fifty eighth Street suddenly, and Karen was living with him. I mean, it really did happen that fast, and Live was being raised as his child. And believe me, Stephen and I made very many feeble attempts at trying to, you know, fix it or just get it all down, you know what I mean, to at least confirm paternity, even a simple blood test anything. You know. He had his blood drawn and I had my blood drawn. But this is way before fancy DNA tests. She has my blood type, so there was you know, we couldn't say, oh, well, this solves the problem. In my eyes, there was no problem. I knew, everybody knew, and everybody was living in this kind of fantasy. And I'm not judging, and I'm not saying obviously, everything happens for a reason. And whatever happened, look how Live turned out. She's an amazing, self sufficient, beautiful human being. And she is Stephen Tyler's child, but she's also in some ways Todd's child physically. I don't think you could dispute that either one of them could possibly be her daddy. And that's fine. That's her spiritual journey, that's her karmic voyage with those two people that she loves dearly. They're both her beloved father's that's the way she looks at it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they gave you this apartment, what are you living on?
Speaker 2: Well, of course he was. He was giving me money, you know he was. He was giving me an allowance, he was paying the rent, and I picked up a little modeling again. I started to I did my first modeling job when when I was six weeks old.
Speaker 1: And uh, how long did he how long did he continue to fit the bill?
Speaker 2: Well, if you put the bill that apartment. My my mother came and cleared me out of that apartment because she just felt that I was not that I needed some stability. I mean, my my family was very supportive and loving. I have a very very loving family. I'm very lucky in that respect. So we closed down that apartment and I moved up to my family's cottage and Maine. So odd. What he was paying for was at that point it was really I didn't have nanny's you know, I didn't have any big expenses at that point. But he always helped, you know, he was never I have to say, he was never stingy. He was never mean about it. You know, he was helpful, he was sweet, He wanted the best for live.
Speaker 1: Okay, But she gets older by the minute, and it's years. She's in high school, she's about to graduate from high school. Is he still helping?
Speaker 2: No, not at this point by the time, by the time she was I'm trying to get the timeline straight here. The paternity thing became finalized when she was fourteen, So is.
Speaker 1: That the line of demarques He paid before then and didn't pay after, That's correct, But he did did Steven pay after?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, And Stephen also paid for her private schooling for that last year before anything was confirmed. Stephen picked up that. But yes, no, Todd. For about a year before everything was public and confirmed, Todd had stopped paying for anything. And then Stephen, Yes, Stephen did pick up the ball very willingly, as a matter of fact. And then the court of course ordered him to pay a certain amount of child support, but Live started making her own money when she was fifteen, and by the time she was sixteen seventeen, she was extremely wealthy, and I was putting everything away for her and keeping her safe. When she graduated, she was a millionaire. Just nobody could take advantage of her. That's where I came in. I was her personal pitbull, and I'm very proud of the job I did, and I'm also I'm very very happy with the way she maneuvered the emotional part of all of this.
Speaker 1: Okay, a rock chick moves to Maine, that's night in the day, especially then from New York City. What's that like for you?
Speaker 2: I started a band, you know, my record came out that Rick Okasik and Rick Darren's You're Produced. I started a band called The B Sides, and nineteen eighty I was doing my first show, and then before I knew it, I was making a living off plane, you know, enough to pay my rent and enough, you know, enough to get by. I mean, I wasn't living some extreme life, but I still had all my connections from the industry. I still got invited to every wonderful party and still felt very included in my industry. But I didn't mind buckling under and really getting to work and do it, and I obviously enjoyed it. You know, I enjoy writing. I enjoy writing songs. I enjoy performing live. Grew up with all of that. Some of her greatest memories they're going to rehearsals with me and going to my gigs when she was a little thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've been at it for forty years. Everybody from our demo is certainly aware of who you are and that you make music. You have never broken through huge commercially such that other people are aware of you. You're going to be seventy. I'm seventy already. Does this disappoint you? How do you metabolize the fact that you didn't break through on a certain level of success.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that I I have a lot to bring to the table for that very reason. You know, success comes in many forms. You can look at success as being financial or status related, or you can look at success as being finishing good work, getting good work done, doing good work. Your work is your name, and I feel that the work I've done has been good work and I'm proud of it. I've written two books. I was a New York Times bestseller with my first book, and I've written probably close to three hundred songs at this point. I've made tons of records, you know that. And I've made singles. And I do it because I love it. It's a passion and I have fans. As long as I can pack a room, I'm okay. I don't have to see my name at the top of the charts to feel successful. And you know, when I went to New York for my last book and did the honor at the National Arts Club, just to be touted by the New York Times and to have the people that I've known since I was eighteen in that audience, it made me know that I'm doing good work and that has given me the greatest pleasure. And I don't think this journey is over. I really don't. Who knows what might happen, you know, anything can happen. I am so open to the possibilities of breaking rules. I mean, speaking of breaking rules, look at Tina Turner. Everybody told her it was over, and look at the comeback she had. And the thing that that's important about the message I'm bringing to the table. It's not the same as like Paulina, who's like, Okay, I'm hot and I'm almost sixty. You know, deal with it. It's exciting to see somebody have that kind of confidence. I'm trying to give something different. I mean, if I could take my clothes off right now and look as good as Paulina does in a bikini, I might. I might do that for shits and giggles. But right now, what I'm enjoying is continuing the chain of good work. And all the projects are that are coming my way. There's a treatment for a series, there's somebody that wants to make a documentary of my life. There's somebody that wants to make a movie of my life. There's so many things that are in the works right now that who knows, maybe my music will be reborn a La Sugarman or something in a soundtrack. You know. I just want to be proud of the work I do and if someday it gets acknowledged, the heck.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what do you live in on now? Financially?
Speaker 2: Well, what do I live on? I have my Social Security and I'm kidding no. I live on the work I do, you know, the gigs I play, the performances, I do the appearances, I make, the autograph sessions, I do autograph conventions. I have a husband that co earns with me. And the house that I'm in was just an accumulation of everything I've ever done. It's just everything accumulated. And I don't really I don't work a nine to five job, but I consider the hours I put in to writing and creating and doing things like this podcast. That's my work. That's what I do. And when I can make money, when I can make good money, I accept the invitation to make good money. I enjoy it. I do a little bit of consulting. I know that my knowledge about the industry is one of the things that's kept me afloat when young people that are entering this business have parents that might be scared or worried about their futures or how they're going to handle this. I am hired as a creative consultant and I can help. And I don't mind signing in das and having to keep my mouth shut about because a couple of the people I've worked with have gone on to become extremely famous. So I'm very proud. I get to be secretly proud, and just because everybody doesn't know about all the stuff you do in your life. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be proud. And you know the fact that I can go to Trader Joe's and buy my own groceries, and you know that it's a good feeling.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back a step Rick, Okay, sick. You become friends, and he's a very close friend. You're talking the book about, You're inebriated, and he drives you from Boston to Maine. Ultimately, in retrospect, I'm reading the book at the time. He is married and has children. He ultimately jumps ship for Paulina.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think he was calling you from overseas producing your records that secretly he wanted to be with you?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, my mother certainly thought that, and so did several of my friends. But I think that I was in denial. If that was his intention, he would write me beautiful poems too. I have beautiful I mean, I have poems from him that became songs. And there may have been some unrequated desire there, but he never pushed himself on me. He never was Maybe he was waiting to see if I would bite. I don't know, but I never did. I didn't want to screw it up. Relationships always seemed to screw up, and I mean when I started to date Rod Stewart, it screwed up. When we were friends, we had a blast, We would run around together and have the greatest time, and then as soon as we became lovers, it just ruined our relation relationship And I still to this day, I think Rod Stewart is one of the most talented, lovely men I've ever known. But I wasn't the right girl for him, and we weren't right for each other. We were good as mates. That's what we worked as with Rick. I just to have somebody believe in me like that and not be trying to get in my pants. I wasn't gonna let that change. For one minute. I was in heaven. It was like being taken seriously. It was like working with a director that you admire and he's not interested in you for anything but the role you're gonna play.
Speaker 1: Okay. In the book, you make a big point about identifying and recording the Wild One Forever off the first Tom Petty album, and you do a great version of that, and it's now been reissued by the same company that has your new book, Rebel Soul. So tell me the story of how you got hooked and you ultimately recorded that track.
Speaker 2: Well, I was one of the lucky people that was at the bottom line for those Tom Petty shows, the multiple shows that he did. I'll just never forget it in my life. You know, I've not been able to meet Bob Dylan a whole lot of times in my life. Every time I've met him, it's just been in passing, like, you know, Hi Bob, and hi baby. Yeah, I read about you and Cream, you know, you know whatever, just small talk. But this was the night where I was backstaying let's stop there for a second.
Speaker 1: Is that a true story? You're just throwing them off. Would Bob Dylan read Cream?
Speaker 2: I don't know if he really did, or if he just said that to be funny. I mean, you never know with Bob Dylan.
Speaker 1: So he actually said I saw you in Cream, that means you had to be paying attention somewhere.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, oh, you never know. You just never know with people like that, they're very mysterious. You just never know. One of the first letters I got from Costello cited something that was from Cream that he had written Rick that he had read. So you know, these guys, they'll surprise you sometimes. You know Dylan, you know when you find out that he makes iron works and is one of the best painters on earth, it's shocking when you see how brilliant he is all around. But the whole thing with the Tom Petty thing, I'm kidding, I'm losing my train of thought.
Speaker 1: Oh you're perfect. You brought it back. I give you credit.
Speaker 2: Well with the Tom Petty thing, it was just being there. Well, that was the night I was standing and Bob was sitting on one of the you know how small that backstage and line was, and you had just that tiny little area that had a bunch of the equipment boxes and everything, and Bob was sort of sitting on one and he was gonna watch I think he was going to watch the band from there. And I remember Grace Slick was there that night too. Everybody was very curious about this Tom Petty kid. You know, this this Southern boy with the best hair and with the draw And I just remember Bob turning to me and he goes, what am I doing? Do you want to sit here on my box? And he goes it seems to be the only seat, and I said, nope, I'm going to go in the audience. I said I want to see this from the front, and he said that's the way to do it. But he didn't go to the front. But I just remember the exchange him going, do you want my box? He was gonna give me his seat, which was very very sweet and very gallant. But that's it. My exchange is with Bob Doll.
Speaker 1: But we're talking about the wild One forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So anyway, I saw Tom Petty perform that night, and when I saw him do that song, it just it resonated with me. It was it just grabbed me. It grabbed me. And I don't even know if it was on a record yet. I'm not sure because I can't remember the order of the records. I just remember what year this was.
Speaker 1: That was nineteen seventy seven in the record, it was the.
Speaker 2: Fall of seventy seven at the bottom line, right, Yeah, because Live was just a little baby, she was just a couple of months old and he met her. But it was when I actually got the records and I started listening to Tom Petty's music that it rest It hit me the way the Everly Brothers. Did it hit me in the way that that, you know, the first time I heard that song, I will follow him, you.
Speaker 1: Know, followel little Peggy March.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. And there just wasn't a bad song in the Tom Petty repertoire. There wasn't a dud in the bunch. And he just became my favorite songwriter. And I chose the Wild One because I could sing the shit out of it. You know. I did a good job with it. And when I sang it for Rick, he cried, I mean not okay, sick, but Darrenger. Darrenger goes, okay, well, show me sing it for me. So I did an acappella version of it for him, and I made him actually get a little misty. He goes, okay, we'll record it. So I mean that's how I sell everything because I'm not a real musician. I can play harmonica. I'm a good harmonica player. If you hand me a bass, I can play a little bass. I can tink her on a piano a little bit. But my mic stand is my my my my piece. That is my instrument. And you know, the way I get my songs across is a cappella. I just Okay, the way I get a riff across. If I want to get a riff across to my husband when we're writing a song, I'll just you know, I'll grunt it, or I'll snap it, or I'll sing it. You know, just do the melody.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're talking. You're talking about your husband. How did you meet him? How did you decide to get married for the first time? My understanding and why is it lasted?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I met Jim. It's funny because we both had the same friends. We should have met years before. But you know, the thing about what I keep saying is that you meet the people you're supposed to. When you're supposed to, you have the experiences, the life lessons, the tragedies, all the stuff that goes along with all the bullshit. We were both He was in a band called Dost Dommen, but they had broken up, and he was quite the cult figure and very respected within the musical community. Dust Doman Thurston Moore Sst. Subpop, you know, they they were quite the darlings of that sonic youth smashing pumpkins, you know, that whole crowd, and he was he was in a new band, and we were both playing the Christmas party. Both of our bands were playing the same Christmas party at the Continental, and we sort of got a look at each other that night, and it's and I thought to myself, how come I've never seen him before? I mean, I noticed him, So I told Hilly Crystal. Hilly Crystal was like my father at the time, and I remember going down to Sebe's and sitting with him at the desk and telling him all about this guy that I had seen across the room and I felt something for him, and it was so weird, And how come I've never met him before. He's known Jesse Mallin since he was fifteen. He went to NYU with Rick Rubin. He grew up in Rutherford, New Jersey. How Come I've not met this guy? And Hilly was like, oh, I don't know. He's pretty fabulous. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Hilly knew exactly who he was, So I'm home. I lived on Mercer Street at that point. I lived on Mercer and Broadway, three hundred Mercer that building and my phone rang and it was Hilly calling me from CBGB's and Hilly goes, Boebe get down here. I literally had five minutes from Sebe's. I go, why what's going on? He goes, you know that guy, you like, the one that you talked my head off about. He's here right now and he's gonna be going on in about forty five minutes. He's in the club as Hilly, and so I think, So, of course, I just I was already in my pajamas, and I threw on some jeans and a T shirt and a pink puffer coat, and I went down there and I just you know, we met and we sort of we sort of clicked, you know, and he went off that night after his gig, and I thought, I'm niable I ever see him again, you know, I didn't know, And and then it was shortly after that that I went. It was really funny. I wasn't gonna go there, you know, I was going to stop into the Continental because I wanted to talk to Trigger about gig. So I went into the Continental and I look up and they're literally on stage. This boy now my husband man. And so I invited him over to my apartment because I literally lived across the you know Continental, CBS my apartment. I invited him over, and it's like he says, we were never a part a day after that. We didn't consummate our relationship right away. It wasn't like we jumped into each other's arms. We courted, we did all the old fashioned stuff. We dated, We courted, and we fell in love, and he asked me to marry him on one knee in Atlantic City. We went to Atlantic City to get away for the weekend. He asked me to marry him, and then, you know, it was nine to eleven sort of changed people's headspace about New York. And so we moved to Maine because my family is up there now, including my mother, my mother who raised me in Virginia in North Carolina. So we spent a few years there, and my book came out in two thousand and one, right before nine to eleven, which was terrible because the whole book tour I was doing and everything got canceled, of course, because understandably it was a horrible situation nine to eleven, as we can all remember. And so we got married in two thousand and two after being engaged for about a year, and we've been together ever since. I've never been happier. I have never felt more safe. Is that a bad word to use? We said, but I feel feels safe. And my husband has an amazing work ethic. He has a great job. You know, he works hard, and we both we both were both just hard workers. You know, I I everything. I take everything seriously, even cleaning my house. You know, I take that very seriously, my floors. I like cleaning my own house. I like cleaning my floors. I like cleaning my bathroom. I like cooking beautiful meals. I like being there for my friends. You know. I love doing the creative consultant work because I can do it sort of undercover. Nobody has to even know that I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm talking to you now. You were a model. You don't appear to have any plastic surgery. How do you feel about being an older woman in society.
Speaker 2: Well, I've had a little bit of plastic surgery. I'm not going to say that I've never gotten any botox or I didn't get a tweak here and there. But I did all that stuff a long time ago. I did that when I was in my forties because that was when I still felt insecure. You know, about who I was. I don't think I really came into me until I was in my fifties and I just started to not care anymore. So if I start to droop a little or I'm okay with that, it doesn't scare me. It might have scared me when I was younger, but I'm not sure for what kind of reasons. Because I feel like whatever changes we go through physically, we're all in the same boat. We're all just walking each other home. Everybody's going to die, and everybody's going to get a droopy face, you know. I mean, it's just going to happen to all of us. So it's what we do with the time that we've got. And right now, with the time that I've got, I want to let not just women but men. I want all humans, people that identify as both men and women, people that identify as nothing. I want everybody to know that none of that should stop you from doing what you do, none of it whatever brings you happiness. I sound like a meme, I sound like one of those Facebook affirmations or something, but it's true. I feel like I'm much more beneficial to women now at my age because I can actually say, you know, I'm not going to say that was a bad choice or a good choice. You know, people go, oh, don't you wish you had married this guy? And don't you wish you had done this? And don't you wish you had had more children? And well, of course sometimes I think about stuff like that, but I don't dwell on it. I've learned how to discipline myself. And as Tina would say, not your renguaekio, no, your ranguae kill. That helps. Chanting really helps you to focus. You know, you don't even understand why, but I have to focus on bringing as much positivity, not just to myself but to others. That's important to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to your more renegade years when you weren't married. A lot of rock stars you see them with women, and the women are perceived as eye candy. I've certainly been around somewhere that has been the case. Needless to say, you are a very verbal woman, so and a lot of these you know, unfortunately a lot of these rock stars speak through their music. They don't have much to say, but that certainly is not all of them. So you mention all of these iconic people, did they pursue you or were you constantly putting yourself out there?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know how to put I was living the life that I was living. I was living the life of the girlfriend of a rock star. So of course you get invited to all the parties. I mean, everything that happens, you get invitations. I mean Todd and I used to get invitations delivered to our doors by courier. And Liz Dringer was my best friend, and she was married to Rick Derringer, and she was a journalist and she was really plugged into the scene. Ron Delsner was our best friend, and whenever there was a great show, Ron would call and say, you're on the list, meet me backstage at eight fifteen or whatever. You know, we were living the lifestyle, and through living the lifestyle, a lot of relationships were formed and made. It's really it's not something you can plan, because.
Speaker 1: It's certainly not something to planned. You were in the area, But you have recited a litany and I don't mean that in any negative sense of household names. Right, So did they hear you were available or did you run into them and say, hey, I would be pursued.
Speaker 2: I mean of course Mick Jagger. He pursues when when Mick wants to date you, he he brings out all the bells and whistles. It's it's it's very charming, and he's notoriously Mick. And you know, I dated Jack Nicholson, So I've been with some of the great flirts, the great Don Juan's of history. I've done that, and I don't regret it for one minute. You know, dating Jack was never I knew it was never going to be serious. I knew that, but I enjoyed his company so much. We had so much much fun together. We would just drive around, you know, he loved to He would show up when I would be in la He had this white Volkswagen that he had for his entire life. It was and I wouldn't say it was beat up, but it was an old Volkswagen that he would drive around Hollywood when he wanted to be undercover. And one time I was staying in Laurel Canyon with my girlfriend Pam, and his house was over on Mallholland, and he showed up at Pam's in the white Volkswagen. And I'll just never forget him getting out of the car. With a white Volkswagen with some flowers that he had picked and wild of course, and just being I introduced him to Pam and he was just so polite. He used to call my mother. He used to talk to my mother on the phone. And Warren Beattie, who I never even met. I mean when I say never met, I never met him under the sheets, is what I'm trying. I never dated Warren Beatty, even though he always gets listed as one of my boyfriends. But I think the reason why is because he and Jack were such good friends, and I hung out with both of them quite a bit and a lot of times over at Warren's house, and Warren was an amazing piano player. I remember the very first time I met Warren Beatty. Jack brought me over there and when we walked into the room, Warren was sitting behind the piano playing unbelievably. I was shocked. Who would have ever known? But he was an exquisite piano player. But no, I didn't date him, and I just I enjoy the company of like minded people.
Speaker 1: I I'm not just ask you then, because a lot of these people I don't mean specifically, but rock stars, movie stars are very narcissistic. Oh god, did they listen to you? Did they want to engage in you? Did they want to hear what you had to say?
Speaker 2: Of course, yes, very much so. As a matter of fact, Jack, when I was, you know, going through the big transition in eighty eighty one where I was forming a band and living in my family's cottage on the family compound, and when I was trying to get the band together, he would listen to all my demos and it was constantly supportive and really really, really nice. And he even offered one time to buy me a house. He said, let me help you buy a house. He was like, let me give you some stability, and he goes, I'd like to help you, and I was like, no, I'm not going to let you do that. I mean, I look back on it now and thinking was I crazy?
Speaker 1: But you know it just okay at this point in time, to what degree do you interact with all these people famous and not known from your earlier days?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Well, you know, the only time I see people like Mick and stuff is when they play I've gone to both of the times the Stones have played Nashville, and but no, we're all living very different lives now. Bowie, of course, you know, passed away. So but he came to my daughter's first wedding, and and you know, we socialized. We would see each other at various events. But half the people that I used to hang out with are no longer alive. Most of them are gone. And and and you know a lot of people. But you know, I see my daughter's father a lot. He brought me up on stage when he played FONTANELLEH gosh, I'll have to send you a little iPhone video of this. I think you'll get a kick.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 2: We did train kept a rolling together in front of thirty thousand people. So, you know, I run into people. I live in Nashville, so of course I you know, I run into people and recording studios now and then I see people here and there, Robert Plant over at Sound Emporium or but you know, everybody is always So I see Jules holland you know, we're still very good friends. And I talked to Clive Arrowsmith quite a bit. And I you know, I've kept most of my friendships. The only estrangements that I have, which is very strange, are with two of the most important relationships of my life, and I guess those were the guys I hurt the hardest. I are. That's Todd and Elvis and.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's switch gears very briefly give me the rap on the aliens.
Speaker 2: Well as I just believe that. Oh it's if I'm going to put it into synopsis format, I would have to say that I believe that we live in a multi dimensional universe, that we are present in a three dimensional world, but I feel like we're getting ready to move into a five D existence on our planet. I don't think we have a choice because if we don't stop what's happening now, the planet is not going to exist anymore and we're all going to be dead. So we have to move into a five D consciousness. And what is D five D's two above three. It's a deeper it's a deeper understanding that these are our bodies, but our souls and our consciousness are much bigger, and that I believe we do this many times. I believe that I believe that the soul travels many lifetimes and inhabits many bodies, and goes through many experiences. As far as aliens go, I believe in the multi dimensional aspect of our existence. I believe that people can come in and out. I believe that there's more sophisticated life forms and consciousness. So I'm just trying to keep myself elevated and open to the metaphysical aspect of the creation of our planet, the creation of the universe. You know, you can drive yourself nuts going where did it start? Where did it the Big bang? Okay, who did the Big bang? Who invented that? And how do you know that the universe is expanding? Okay? We know that? Why? I mean, you can go crazy asking yourself all these questions. So the way I've decided that I can internalize it and understand it the best is to just think there is no beginning, there is no end, there is no time. There's dimensions, and there's textures, and there's layers, and I believe that we can go in and out.
Speaker 1: Okay, but have you you haven't seen little green men or.
Speaker 2: They? Well, the ones I met were gray?
Speaker 1: Okay, how you met them?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 1: And when?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's really this is this would take up an entire one of them. Okay, just a couple, all right. When I I've been having experiences with orbs or light since I was very young. One of my earliest memories in my crib is of these bouncing lights around my crib and I could sort of they would come when I wanted them to come, and they would. I thought they were playing with me. I thought they were toys. And I would tell my mother that I loved the lights that would come to see me, that the lights were fun. Thanks, you know, Mommy, I love those lights, you know. And there were and of course you didn't give me any lights maybe a night light. But I've always felt connected to something. I've had some experiences that cannot be explained at all. Like one time I was in a car with my girlfriend, a Volkswagen. We were high out of our brains. I'm not proud of this moment. I'm not bragging or anything. We were driving, I was seventeen, sixteen or seventeen, and we're driving along. This is in Jacksonville, North Carolina, when my father was stepfather was stationed at Camp La June, and I was getting ready to go into the next lane. I was being frivolous and free, and literally a voice and I am not exaggerating, said don't go left. Very clearly and very loudly. And when I turned my head like this, there was a giant semitruck coming And if I had gone like that, I would have been pulverized.
Speaker 1: Well, you are here, and you're a fountain of amazing stories. I mean, I don't know anybody who has as many stories as you, with so many famous people. And you have a new book, Rebel Soul, which is photographs of you throughout your life, but also essays of your belief We'll have one more topic and then we'll go. You make a big point in the book that you're not a groupie. Why focus on that so much?
Speaker 2: The word groupie? It's just gotten soiled, you know, like there's certain words. I know they're just words, But you don't want to be defined as somebody that when you're when you're an entertainer yourself, when you when you go on stage and you make people happy and you sing for people, you don't want to be known as just the person that that Google goggles over the other people. I just think that the word is misunderstood. I think that it's been tainted to the point where it's become sexist in a lot of ways. Because I don't see it used to define men ever, and I I just at this point in my life. I've been married forever, and I consider myself a nurturer and a healer and a person that loves to give. I'm just not in a comfortable place where i can deal with being tagged labeled. I don't want to be like a cow with a tag on my ear. Oh that girl is a groupie, you know. I want to be known for many things. I'd rather be known as a historian and a storyteller and the original Alice in Wonderland who fell through the looking glass. I'd rather be known as a person that lived an extraordinary life, and I hope that I would love my life. I would love to see a series, because there are too many stories just for one documentary or for one movie. I know that there's ideas that people are having right now to do a documentary or a movie. But I see a series, I see many episodes. I don't see how you The Aliens, for instance, would take up one episode. Savador Dolly would take up an episode. Tom Petty would take up an episode. Just the experiences with these brilliant human beings that I've brushed with, obviously, you know, I touched their lives too. We've all touched each other's lives, and I want people to realize that I'm not a service dog. If I was a service dog, I would proudly say I'm a service dog. I am here to service these beautiful rock stars. I'm not a service dog. I am a human being that has had an extraordinary experience and extraordinary experiences and I don't even have the complete formula, nor do I have the complete explanation as to why. And hopefully I'll live long enough that some of these wonderful experiences can be shared, and not just in a little, condensed, tiny thing. I think there's so much to life, you know. I think people we all know each other for a reason, we all connect for a reason. There must have been a reason. There has to be the other way around. It's not just them being in my life. I was in their life too, and you're in.
Speaker 1: The life of many people right now as a result of doing this. Maybe I want to thank you so much for taking the time to share your life and thoughts with my audience.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I could do another hour with you. You're just You're just interesting. I have to be honest, I am a fan. My husband religiously reads your newsletter.
Speaker 1: I just want to let you know that, and I'm glad you did.
Speaker 2: I like that well, Tick wn Gate, you know, he's always been a champion of mine. He wanted to sign me way before anybody and eighty one. I should have gone with the Wynn Gate. He's still my friend to this stay. But you know he he said that he was going to ask you, if you know, if I could be on your show, and I'm so glad that he did. I'm grateful. See what I mean, how we all know each other and how it all cross pollinates. See to me, Dick Wingate and my old editor at Saint Martin's like Elizabeth Byer, those are my rock stars. Those are the people that I'm indebted to and that I love. Danny Fields, these are my rock stars. These are the people that I will love and cherish till the day I die, because they're the people that believed in me and gave me chances in life, chances to do things myself. And there's nothing better than taking over a room. I love to be in front of an audience with a microphone. I don't even need instruments. I don't need anything. I'll sing the whole thing without one drop of an instrument. It brings me so much joy. But anyway, I'm thrilled and honored. It's an honor to be with you, mister Bob.
Speaker 1: I think you and I'm glad I had the chance to talk to you. In any event, till next time. This is Bob left Sis