Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff, your weekly reminder that when bad things happen, people often do good things in response to the bad things. I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy, and my guest today is Mio Wong Hi. Hello.
Speaker 3: Hello, very very excited, very excited to be back for my annual traditional all the Communists Get Shot episode.
Speaker 2: It seems to be the onson I've always saw. I see, I did give me heads up about this. Well, I was like, who do I know who knows this history and theory enough to talk about this with me? And I guess I'm always like, I can't spoil the subject to the listener because the listener has read the episode description. Yeah, but before we talk about our subject, we should talk about the fact that our producer is Sophie Sophie. That's me. I'm Sophie. I'm very glad that Sophie is back. That's Mia, I'm Sophie. We also have an audio engineer who's named Rory. Hi. Rory Hi, RII Hi Rory. Our theme music was written for us by Unwoman this week. I've been really excited about doing this episode. You have, You've talked about it for a minute. I know, I know this was on my long list at the very very beginning when I sat down to plan out doing this show. Hell ya, but I felt like I hadn't earned it yet.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I also felt like I had to come to learn more about the general context. Okay, so today, this week, we are going to talk about one of the most referenced but least discussed and most misunderstood moments in Western political history. We are going to talk about the Hungarian Revolution of nineteen fifty six. Mia, you ever heard of the Hungarian Revolution of nineteen fifty six.
Speaker 3: You know, this is the most oh god, I whatever I hear about this. Now I get my like fucking war flashbacks to the dis course trenches, and I'm thinking about this guy posting this picture that he said was like, this is the Hungarian revolutionaries lynching a Jewish man. And then someone found the guys, like they found the guy's tombstone, and it turned out that it was a Christian secret police agent. So this is one of the most unhinged, like discourse wise revolutions of all time. I'm excited to hear about this because, like I have, I guess what you would call the like mid level anarchist understanding of this. Yeah, where like I don't know, like I've read my COLR. James, I guess who writes about this a couple of times, but like I don't actually I'm not actually like like I've read accounts of it, but I'm really interested to see whether my conclusions about it are backed up by like the fullness of history, because I have I have like takes about this.
Speaker 2: But yeah, And that's one of the hardest things about this event for anyone who's just coming in, who's like, I have no idea what you all are talking about. The reason that this revolution is so talked about without actually being talked about, and it's a thing that everyone has opinions about without actually reading about, is that this revolution is famous on the internet today because one of my favorite pejoratives, tanky, derives from this event. It is the word for people who cheer on the antagonists of the Hungarian Revolution. It's a word for people who watch Star Wars and think, you know, Aldron really had it coming, so I'm gonna do instead of a Lord of the Rings reference. That's what I figured. That was really weird. I know, I know, I actually know so much less about Star Wars. Oh, don't worry, don't worry, I got you covered. I got cover it. Okay, okay, between the two of us, the shortest version of this history that I could talk, I could I could come up with. Hungary was a Soviet satellite state. It was not part of the USSO, but it was part of the Warsaw Pact. The aligned communist countries who shared a military alliance, who thought that they had some vague semblance of the USSR until they realized they didn't. They found themselves basically extracted from colonies of the USSR. Economically, the economic conditions in Hungary, as well as in Poland and other places like that, were absolutely terrible. Still, most people living there on some level believed in socialism or communism, not the Soviet occupation and the local authoritarian regime. But people were overall left of center. So a bunch of young communists in the nineteen fifties, like the official youth branch of the Communist Party, they had a demonstration in support of some other socialists facing repression in Poland, and they found themselves machine gunned for their trouble. So the country revolted and they did what most cool people revolutions do. They set up workers councils to create workplace democracy and run a socialist country from the bottom up. The Soviets invaded with tanks. The Red Army put down the revolution. The whole thing lasted more or less three weeks, though fighting went on in the countryside, and especially strikes went on across the country for months afterwards. Those three weeks changed everything for good. Because the Iron Curtain went down for a moment, and the line that separated Soviet influenced countries from the rest of the world. Foreign journalists were able to pour into the country and actually cover what happened firsthand, including a lot of Western communists came which, by the way, the fact that everyone argues about what happened in this revolution is particularly funny because we have all of the documents, we have the official Communist Party reports, we have lots of first hand reports from all these participants from all over the political spectrum. Actually just look, yeah, yeah, I got to read more first like primary sources that I usually get to for this particular episode, you know. And so while the border was down, about two hundred thousand people fled the country, spoiler alert for the US in the near future. Strong borders are as much about keeping people in the country as they are at keeping people out of the country, And these people who fled brought with them the truth about life under Soviet control. If you read a lot of communist history, like I somehow wound up doing not ever something I had originally intended, you notice that all the original Bolsheviks, you know, whenever you're reading about like some Bolshevik who's like, ah, it's nineteen twenty three and I'm doing a thing, you know, and you're like dead nineteen thirty six. Yeah, Like, how come they all died nineteen thirty six to nineteen thirty eight. What's going on there? They were all purged by Stalin in the Great Purge, is what happened all the original Bolsheviks, not all of them, but a huge number of the original Bolsheviks get got by their own Bolshevik party. But there's another slightly more subtle, but only slightly more subtle shift that you see too when you read about Western communists. Yep, any of the ones who are actually doing cool things and actually have some fucking heart, the ones who fought for social justice against fascism did all the good stuff, like a ton of the Italian Partisans fall into this? Last week's episodes had several of those main characters that we talked about last week were Italian communists who all left the Communist Party in the nineteen fifties yep, Because after the Hungarian Revolution they could no longer believe that the USSR and the Communist Party was a force for good or even a force for communism. It was this I'm still doing the quick version of it, I swear it was this split in the UK Communist Party that led to people getting called tankies for their support of the Soviet invasion of Hungary. It is a word that was used by communists and socialists against authoritarians, and yet online authoritarian communists love to claim that the word tanky is used against them because they're communists, when actually that's completely just not true. To be fair, a lot of right wing people, including like centrist capitalists, do use the word, which I guess is centrist not whatever. Anyway, a lot of people, including capitalists and right wing people use the word tanky to critique communists at large, and that is a misuse. It is only for the people who support the enemy of today. Yep.
Speaker 3: There's an interesting thing that like one of the things you read about like the American Communist Party, well, the thing that they believe in like the thirties and forties is really weird because like if you like read the descriptions of what they think the USSR is, it's like weirdly like syndicalists, like they think it's this kind of like they think it's the thing that the Soviet is supposed to be, where it's like it's like this republic of like these workers councils, right, and they like all believe this, and they all believe this, and they all believe this, and then like like even through Stalin right, like they're all like you watch all these people who are like absolutely convinced that like yeah, this is all just sort of like like all of the stuff and the terrors like capitalist propaganda and then Hungary hits and they're like, oh shit, is It's fascinating because it plays like all over the world. You get like versions of this. There's a really funny one in China where they like the Hungarian Revolution in like actually sort of inspires like a wave of like kind of unrest in China over it, because yeah, it's like not super well known, but there's like kind of like a wave of strikes and like you can like see like a kind of like peaking of this that it's one of the things that kind of like it's one of the things that influences like the Thousand Flowers campaign and in China where like there's this period there's a very brief period in like fifty six and fifty seven where you can like sort of openly criticize the party and like it's lines and like what it's been doing, and then immediately that it all gets cracked down on because it's a lot of it is this attempt to sort of like draw out the kinds of dissonance that had been you know, like like that stuff I had been intensifying as like as like fifty six went on because there's there's all this unrest in poland there's all this like there's all that happens in Hungary and like that like pisses people off, and there's like people in the streets of like Beijing chanting here another Hungary, whoa, and they all get fucking murdered.
Speaker 2: Also it was another Hungary. They were right, yeah, yeah, yeah, they all died right, like you know, like and this thing goes on. But it's also really funny because so the official like Chinese Communist party line is that, like the Hungarians were all fascists and they all deserve to be killed. But later on, because they swit from the Soviet Union, their line is that the progue spring in Czechoslovakia was a genuine workers uprising against the Soviets, okay, because that was after the break or whatever. Yeah, that was after the break. Is such a baffling position.
Speaker 3: Like my my apps, I don't know if my favorite one, but I do want to this one. It was one of the Italian autonomists had this line that was like the Hungarians were right to revolt and also the Soviets were right to repress.
Speaker 2: Them, which is like the most cognitive I've seen, so like people tie themselves in ideological knots around this problem, like all over the world, like like in every continent, it's people are like trying to square the Soviets just like openly acting as like the guys who fed the workers to the machine guns. And it breaks so many people's brains in so many fascinating ways. I think it's because the like the tanky mind right, has this idea where like it's just an axiom that the USSR was good and so everything has to be warped around that, and they're like, well, I guess you know, I don't know you just said about like, oh, they were right to resist, but also they were right to be cracked down on. You just have to like come up with ways to try and make it fit. And I think one of the things that's so fascinating is that I didn't come up in any kind of context in which I would have to bother defending the idea that Stalin was a bad man, Like yeah, you're like, well, that's just self evident. And it's not just because I like grew up in Cold War United States. I think any objective, big picture view, it's like, well Stalin was bad, you know, like the fact that we have to argue this, okay, anyway, so it's ridiculous, yeah, right away. As soon as this Hungarian revolution happened, there's actually this you know, you can have that meme of two arms holding hands, you know, the two muscle arms holding hands. Yeah, of the USSR and the West both claiming the Hungarian revolution is capitalist. Yep, yep, yep, yep. The West was like, see these people revolted because they love democracy and capitalism and rock and roll or whatever. And the USSR was like, see these people love capitalism and rock and roll or whatever and the bourgeoisie, you know, and they're both wrong and or lying. And I think the governments are lying, and then the individuals who believe the governments are wrong.
Speaker 3: And this is the thing that like this happens so many times over the course of this thing, because like you know, I mean one of my like Hungry takes right is that it is part of this line of revolutions that is kind of distinct in some sense from like what you would call the Soviet mainline, even though I would argue it starts in like nineteen oh five with the workers councils. Was like, for like one hundred years, the thing that you were doing, if you were doing revolution, basically from like nineteen oh five in Russia through like two thousand and one in Argentina, was you would seize control of your workplace and formal workers council.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's so many of these, right, I mean, this is still a good idea frankly, yeah, yeah, yeah it is. And like I mean they're like, like you know, you can look at like Spain, like Hungary is one of the famous ones. Like this happened in Algeria, this happened in like Czechoslovakia, it happens in Oh my god. Now now that I'm trying to list this off, I'm forgetting a whole bunch of them, a bunch of places. Yeah, totally. Yeah, Like you know, like I mean people do this in like Shanghai, they do this in Yeah, it happens to Vietnam.
Speaker 3: Briefly, Like it's just like all over the world. People do this for like one hundred years. It happens in Italy, in France, and like because they're trying to do socialism, Yeah, they're trying to do socialism. The thing is like, like and this is this is the really effective ideological tactic that both the Soviets and the Americans use, which is that they both were like democracy is capitalism, and so everyone tries to claim all of these revolutions that are like like if you read like a conventional American history of this, they will call this a liberal revolution. They will call them liberalizing reforms. It's like, right, No, they weren't. This is all stuff that's further left than the Soviets. It's like they're trying. They formed the workers' councils again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the most recent, of course co option of this revolution has been the Hungarian nationalists and the right wing parties who are like and they have no more of a legitimate claim on it than anyone else, which is to say the people have a legitimate claim on it. Are bottom up socialists. That is far and away the largest chunk of this revolution, as the Belgian and French movement communists. It looks like movement communists. I don't know that they drop a lot of letters as they wrote about it. The nineteen fifty six revolution in Hungary was a worker's revolution. The workers constituted the majority of the combatants and deaths against the Russian Army, the AVO, the secret police, and the hostile elements of the Hungarian army. The workers organized themselves into councils and tried, in extremely difficult conditions to elaborate a political and theoretical program which can be criticized today, but which constituted a high point of the limits of its time, and whenever you research something Cold War related, you have to weighe through an ocean of misinformation and contradictory sources. Like you. I came in with like my assumption of a take right, and I actually, I actually thought it was going to be a little bit more politically diverse and a little bit more liberal. That was actually what I was kind of coming into it thinking, because I didn't I didn't want to like hold my breath and hope for it to be like really cool.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still haven't read everything on this. There's so much written about this, or so many eyewitnesses, but I tried to cast as wide of a net as I could. I wound up reading Soviets with a lot of declassified information, a lot of non tanky communists like the Movement Communist, a lot of anarchists, a lot of capitalists on the issue, and I feel like I have a decent sense of it. The Hungarian Revolution is maybe one of the clearest examples of I've ever seen of something that we've discussed again and again on this show. Sometimes even when you lose, you win, just by fighting, you win. The Hungarian Revolution famously a failed revolution, right, and that's like, oh, we hear about it. It showed that the authoritarianism of the USSR more plainly to the West, and in particular to Western leftists, than anything else had before it. By invading their own satellite state, the USSR torpedoed any chance they had of winning the Cold War, as my argument, because they entirely and irrecoverably broke the international communist movement by so blatantly giving up on their principles. But you know it isn't giving up on my principles. Oh no, the foundings and services that support this podcast, that's right. Oh no, I support all of them because I'm a liberal revolution that's me. Here's some stuff. I like all of it. And Rebeck, So I feel like half the stories we talk about and okay, now I'm gonna do the context part. Everyone's been waiting for that. I feel like half the stories we talk about in Europe could be traced back to the revolutions of eighteen forty eight, which makes sense. The revolutions of eighteen forty eight were the anvil on which most modern socialist ideologies were formed, and more than people necessarily realize, like socialism and liberalism and all of these different sort of modern political ideologies were in response to each other. Socialism wasn't just a like something that showed up late and was like, hey guys, I'm here too, you know, it's actually one of the foundational things of the modern political landscape. We're not going to get into the revolutions of eighteen forty eight two greatly because I don't know. One day, when I have nothing else to do, I'll probably spend an entire year covering the revolutions of eighteen forty eight. There's so many of them, there's so much stuff. It's I know, I know, you can throw I think Wagner is in a story at some point. Marx is in it, Pecuon's in it, pacoonin comes off a little bit better.
Speaker 3: A guy who challenged Marks to a duel is in it. Hell yeah, it's August.
Speaker 2: I think I actually just want to read historical fiction about eighteen forty eight. I actually don't think. I don't want to read. It's too much stuff. It's too much, it's too big, h which is why I do a little segmented podcast for everyone. So one thing that is important to understand about the Hungarian Revolution in particular, but also the eighteen forty eight revolution. Is that nationalism in the ninth middle of the nineteenth century, it was both new and leftist, not in a national socialist way. Words just change meanings. Sometimes. Hungarian nationalists were fighting for independence from the Austrian Empire. They were spurred on less by like, but we want our own flag, and we love Hungary and hate everyone who's not Hungarian. And more, we want a democracy because actually I didn't realize this Hungary is like one of the oldest parliamentary democracies in the fucking world. Like they had like shit going back to like thirteen hundreds. I think I didn't end up including all of that in my script, so now I'm just winging it. But they were like, look, we wanted democracy is now in eighteen forty eight times and they were like, we want a democracy and the king said yes. But then the king was replaced by another king who said no, you can't have it. Orb's a emperor or whatever the fuck. The rebels put up a really serious fight and it took Austria making common cause with Russia to put them down. So there's a history of Russia invading Austria and democracy while the rest of Europe was modernizing with textiles and mines. Hungary was modernizing with flour mills. They were a key point for food trade around Europe, and they started more properly urban industrializing kind of late in the game. They don't really have like iron ore. There's like some mines and I think the north of the country where's some hills, but like its resources as they can grow stuff, you know. Yeah, it's cultural, yeah, which famously doesn't imagine being a like I'm a country and I'm like all that matters is industry. To hell with food and you're like, how is that? What's your plan there? Like, don't you realize you got to eat food?
Speaker 3: Like that's they're calling it the Great Leap Forward. It goes forward, which were that is admittedly a simplistic explanation, the Great Leap Forward, that's not really accurate.
Speaker 2: But oh god does that mean? Is that what? Like, because we're trying to bring back adustrial production of the United States, We the fascists are trying to bring back industrial production to the United States right now? Is that going to be a problem?
Speaker 3: Okay, I will give I will give my one sentence rant about that, which is that that is deeply unfair to the Great Leap Forward comparing it to this, because the Great Leap Forward, at the very least was a response to a production bottleneck, okay, where they didn't have enough cultural goods to produce more like industrial goods. But they also couldn't increase your agricultural output with that increasing your industrial output.
Speaker 2: And this is causing an inflationary crisis, and so they tried to like just power their way through it with pure what if you made everyone work harder and it turns out that's a terrible idea, okay, and take people out of agriculture and put them in other things, terrible idea. I think instead of comparing this to the Great Leap Forward, I want to compare it to something that's going to happen a little bit later in this story in Hungary. Oh hell yeah, I'm excited. I'm excited. In nineteen nineteen, Hungary tried to do a revolution. We covered this a little bit on the Bela Lugosi Vampire episodes because one of some of my favs, some of my favor I oh, I know it turns out in case anyone's curious, go look for the vampires are on our side because Bella Lagosi, the original Dracula, fought in the nineteen nineteen uprising and had to flee the country, and also Max Shrek, the other famous vampire actor from around the same time, was a leftist anti fascist bouncer in Weimar, Germany. Anyway, So nineteen nineteen Hungary tried to do a revolution, and they tried to do it the actual communist way, where you set up workers councils soviets and then have a bottom up socialist society, which is, as you pointed out, the way that every revolution tries to start, and then it often either gets crushed or it gets co opted by authoritarians, right, which is just so funny to me because there's like a really clear structure. It's not like people are like, oh, you just want socialism, but you don't want to do anything. They're like, no, we have this structural idea and we've tested it time and time again, where we create a federation of these councils and then they go up to the bigger councils and they all talk and it's bottom up instead of top down, and like, that's just what socialism fucking meant. Until the twentieth century when anyway, whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what a bunch of people read about the German post office and we're like, holy shit, what if socialism was to post office. You think I'm joking, Go read your letted. She will make this argument.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: I am not surprised. So nineteen nineteen fails in Hungary, Bella Lagosi has to flee. I think he goes to buymar Germany before he comes to the States. I can't remember. It was hammer Max Shrek who came as an undocumented migrant, and after World War One, Hungary ended up in a bad spot. They ended up with a national conservative something akin to but different from, a fascist in charge. His name is Admiral Horthy and he ruled from nineteen nineteen until the end of World War Two. He was totally down to join the Access Powers in World War Two. If you want to read so much cope, you should read his Wikipedia article because it is full of cope about the number of Jews he sent off to die. Oh God, because he is the only Axis Power leader I believe to survive the war. So he got to like write a memoir Jesus Christ. Anyway, so he joins the Axis powers in World War Two. He's also like, uh, just kidding, I hate the Axis Allies. Can you take me once the Red Army is like at his door? Oh no, And since he was starting to get disloyal, he got the Italy treatment. Germany invaded and occupied Hungary. Oh my god, they'd already deported some Jewish people, but once Germany occupied it was like four hundred thousand Jews were sent to their deaths. Jesus Christ. Yeah, and like his whole thing is He's like, I tried to stop. I tried to only send one hundred thousand. And I'm like, man, you kill one person and you go to prison for the rest of your life. I'm just gonna say this, like they the number I wish you should just die is one. Yeah, Like yeah, like this, why do we let this guy live through this? Like what the fuck? Yeah? Because he was like he's like the reluctant Axis guy. That's his like whole vibe. And I swear to God, oh no, I just had to be a Nazi, you know the horror Oh I know, God, what a pathetic fucking worm. And he was like he's just like, well, I hated communism so much. That I had to become a Nazi. Like, look, a lot of us have spent our entire political careers hating both the USSR and the fascists. Okay, also, like, like, which did Churchill fun against the Nazis? You have no excuse? Totally totally, God damn it. When the Soviets, the Soviets come and they capture Hungary and they put a guy named Bella Michlos in charge, and he's a there there is a lot of bias in all of the stories that you read about Hungary and anything fucking Cold War related. And so though though if you read a leftist take, including an anarchist take, they'll be like, look, the Soviets invaded and they put a Nazi in charge. This is true. They put Bella Miklos in charge. He was a Hungarian general who had an iron Cross that had been given to him by Hitler, but he had actually defected late in the war and was like literally fighting for the other side. And I don't know whatever that he wasn't a fucking good person, but like whatever, he gets the Hitler Cross for also having fought Hitler. Yeah, totally, yeah, exactly. Yeah. Hitler also famously fought Hitler. True, he's sure. He's the only person you ever killed Hitler, So I know, I know, people don't give him enough credit for that. So prior to the Soviet capture of the country, and look, it was good that the Red Army captured Hungary, Like kicking out the Nazis is good, right, fuck him? Yeah, they stopped the Holocaust, like that's good. Famously, World War Two was the three less evil empires fighting the most evil empire. Uh yeah, the two of them. Admittedly, yeah, okay, fair well, Italy wasn't as powerful, but oh ja yeah, no, no, no, I know, you're right, You're right. I'm so sorry. I yeah, you're all.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And so, which is funny because that's even in the fucking theater of war that my family fought in. Yeah, mine too. Unfortunately, so prior to the Communists capturing the now, when I from now on, when I say communist, I'm going to mean the Communist Party, which is one of my least favorite semantic things has ever happened. But you know, imagine a capital ce. Before the Communist took the country, the Communist Party was tiny. There was a huge socialist movement in Hungary, but it was largely Social Democratic and there's also anarchists and stuff, and of course they're left out of all of the histories unless you specifically look for them. But yeah, the Social Democratic Party had ten times the number of people and they had like organized all the factory workers and shit. Soviets show up. They take over all of the existing state apparatus in the country, including the a v O. The Secret police. Like basically the Social Democrats come over at this point, and then the anarchist movement gets kind of split into a different group. Like some of them are like, we're getting the fuck out of here. Some of them are like, we're gonna fight tooth and nail against the Soviets, and some of them are like, hey, the Soviets said that we're allowed to be legitimized, and so they became like a legitimate anarchist group and then they all got liquidated. Oh never do that.
Speaker 3: They're always lying and never people have tried this, They always die.
Speaker 2: I know, it's Lucy with the football. Come on, Charlie Brown, just kick the football this time. Yeah. Oh god, I hate thinking about this in the context of the fact that we need a popular front in order to feed fascism anyway, so they take over. The Soviets takeover. They start stripping the place of resources, which they call reparations, so that the Hungarian workers are paid shit and all their food is going to the USSR. In nineteen forty eight, shit was so bad that the USSR canceled half of their reparations to avoid uprisings. J Is christ by A. Nineteen forty nine, the Hungarian Peace Republic was formed, a single party communist state. Prior to that, there was like, oh, we're like communists, but there's like elections kind of asterisk, you know. But the thing is is that the Hungarian Communist Party was kind of largely made up of these like social democrats and not actual like communists, and so they kind of are like, yeah, we're what now, Okay, I guess we're communists now whatever, And so they kind of they have this beautiful thing where they're just doing lip service to everything. They're like, oh, yeah, we're totally doing the thing, and no one's doing the thing. They're all just lying. It's brilliant rules. Yeah, and all these states, all the Soviet satellite states, they're all extracted from territories whatever you would want to call that, I would call it imperialism, but obviously words of no meaning. To quote historian Nick Heath quote, they sold to Hungary at above world prices. This is the USSR, and bought it ex sports at well below world prices. It's like how they did their economic extraction. And I have read official Communist meeting notes from the nineteen fifties where Communist Party members say things like, well, Poland thinks were ripping them off by buying their coal at terrible prices, leaving their entire economy and shambles and everyone poor as hell. But they're wrong, Like they don't offer any supporting evidence, Like the Communists say this. They're like, well, all the workers think that they're getting ripped off over a coal, which is clearly not true because the party line says it's not true. Oh and I think this is just the way that the Communist Party members like have to talk, even at the highest level. Yeah, they have to lace their speech with disclaimers. A note to the left, don't do that. Don't be forced to do that. They have to lace their speech full of disclaimers like don't worry, I toe the party line. But some people are saying all the polls are starving to death. Clearly they're wrong.
Speaker 3: I also just love the just the no one having the cost in a dissonance here of like, congratulations, we have built communism. It's based on a price system.
Speaker 2: What are we doing here? Wait? Yeah, come on, yeah, come on, meet the new boss actually different from the old boss, but just worse. Yeah, it's like it's just okay.
Speaker 3: So like, yeah, you wake up in the morning, you go to your communism job, and you get paid your communism dollars. Did you work for your communism boss? And your communism boss can have you arrested if you.
Speaker 2: It's like, what are we doing here? What was the point of this? Like, yeah, you have to pay your rent to the communism state, Like yep, yep, it's really hard to make systems worse than capitalism. And hats off to the USSR. They did their best. Yeah did they succeed, But they tried. It's a toss up. Yeah they tried little little better in some areas and worse than other areas. Yeah, they're both worse. Yeah, exactly exactly the words of Actually I think that was Stealin who said they're both worse. Oh where Stalin win Salin did two good things and we'll talk about it later. Oh mayeople were gonna hold that against me if you don't keep listening, all right, you know, and hungry things were bad the five year plan, which is like not actually though I bet it's a perfectly fine way to organize an economyist to set up a five year plan. They just keep doing bad ones. Yeah, Like, if you listening, if you wanted your life to get better, make a five year plan to start working on it. You got to make plans in order to get anything done. So I'm not mad about a five year plan. There were some thatwork.
Speaker 3: Fine, it's just you just don't hear about them because like I don't know, like the five year plan to like develop the like I don't know, like you're running an oil system like worked kind of hell yeah, but you don't really hear much about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're like my five year plan is to make the library system more accessible, and like everyone's like ohs and eat, you know. Like from nineteen forty nine to nineteen fifty three, their five year plan involved turning an agricultural country with no iron ore or coal into a place full of heavy industry. This is the thing I was comparing this too earlier. Yeah. Yeah, the capital, Budapest in particular, was turned into a factory town making steel and guns and trucks and bikes and shit like that. Unions, of course, were dissolved. Can't have unions in your communist country. Woo hey, you could have them in China. It's just that your union doesn't get to do anything. Oh okay, Well, it's just like part of the management structure. It's great, it's great.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's not actually technically formally part of the MANUFRA structure, but like that's functionally what it does except for one time at Gianemen and then never again.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they learned their lesson. Yeah, wages fell seventy five percent between nineteen forty nine and nineteen fifty two. Jesus, what the oh my god. This is the comparison I want to make when I was saying I want to make it, compare it to right now moving everything to heavy industry. But you know, it doesn't hurt the economy.
Speaker 3: The products and services support this podcast if you buy them, but if you don't buy them, it hurts the economy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually true. It actually does. It does literally help the economy if you buy stuff. That is actually the way economies work, which is why when you decrease everyone's wages, you mess the economy up. And when you make things too expensive to afford and you have hyper inflation, it messes the economy up. But buying stuff doesn't mess the economy up unless you support things you shouldn't. And you know what that's up to you, dear listener, to listen to these products and services and think about which ones you support and which ones you don't. And I'm sure you'll agree with me that they're all good. And I have personally vetted each and every one. You can't legally say that YEES training is very clear. Interesting. I have not vetted any of these That's the actual truth. I love that I can't lie on air. See it's good. It's keeping me from lying. Here's the ads and we're back. Nineteen fifty two was the worst year in Hungarian history for agriculture. As of that year, I don't know if it got any better after that. I probably fifty five percent of people were living below the minimum standard of living. When you're like, oh, okay, well that means that forty five percent we're living above the minimum standard of living. Incorrect, Only fifteen percent of people were above the standard of living. Thirty percent of people were at it. Oh no, this is oh no, yeah, you can't be doing this to people like you simply cannot. No, it really didn't work out. One in five workers had no winter coat Jesus Christ. Like, that's like, this is something like like Chinese soldiers Moreshkua Korea with no shoes bullshit, Like what are we doing here? Like a peasant can go shoe a bear and have a coat. You know, you've made them poorer than that, Like it's actually astonishing. It's like, wow, damn the wages of imperialism. Who could possibly have guessed that resource distraction and redesigning someone's economy would it make people poor? Yeah? Wow damn woo. So people were upset by this, including communists. Four hundred and eighty three thousand Communist Party members were expelled from the Communist Party over this period. Jesus Christ. That's more Communists than I've ever met. Yeah, are there even that many Communists in the US?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Like maybe maybe? And if so, it's like right of that line, So what happened was everyone stole from their job. It was the only way to make ends meet. The entire economy ran on theft. The output quotas that people were presented with were absurd, so everyone just lied about meeting the output quotas. You could probably just like bribe the official who's also relying on you know, graft and whatever. Just mean bribery. I think it just means bribery. Yeah, yeah, it's like general corruption. Yeah, okay, cool, Yeah, but like Blake.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it graphic is specifically about taking money out of the thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so the entire economy is running off of that. If you go to the store, you know that you're going to be ripped off. The scales are weighted against you because that's the only way the shopkeepers could survive. So everyone's stealing from everyone else. Unfortunately, it's not just a like noble robinhood. Everyone's stealing from the big state corporation. You know. Everyone is just trying to fucking live.
Speaker 3: Which no one here has any experience of living in an entire economy that is based on scams and robbing people, not like none of us. What is AI?
Speaker 2: What is crypto. No one, no one's ever seen this before, no one, no one knows what a robo call is. I will say though, April fifteenth is annual steal something from workday. Wow amn wow. I used to joke when I worked for the anarchist publisher a K Press as a freelancer that I was going to celebrate steal something from workday, and they were like, please don't. I'm like, all right, fine, you're a workaround collective. Come on, you go st you gotta steal a pen, I know, like just to maate it. I know, well, obviously I've never stolen anything, but imagine someone who would have stolen something, okay, girl boss, girl.
Speaker 1: Bos so moral, so she I know, I know I was clearly never I think I've like written and published things about how I used to shoplift all the time.
Speaker 2: Never mind anyway, as a long time ago, as a love from corporation statul limitation statue limitations. I want to start a podcast is a really bad idea. I always wanted to start a podcast called the Statute of Limitations Podcast. Oh or we just have a lawyer on the phone call with us. People tell really cool stories of crime. After the revelation. After the revelation, we could have the better podcast. We can't do right now exactly all of the things we will be able to tell each other if we yeah, pull off a worker council run society. So all the while, there's all the usual state communist fuckery going on. There's internment and labor camps, there's internal exile and deportment. I think people are getting like sent off to the USSR at labor camps or whatever. There's no religious tolerance, there's no free speech. Lots of people are getting arrested for quote incorrect opinions. And dear tankies, if you're hate listening this far into it. That is a direct quote from communist reports of the time talking about the need to crack down on quote incorrect opinions. I am not putting words in their mouth. I promised you earlier that Stalin did two good things with his life. Ooh. One of them was that he used to rob Banks as a communist revolutionary, And honestly, that was just kind of cool, Like this is funny, It's pretty funny. He was kind of a cool guy. Ever, the moment, he was probably a terrible person. I don't know, great episode of vanderwer based off of it. We're episodes. Oh shit, yeah, I'm not watching second season until all of it's out. That's so reasonable that this is this that season one though. Oh well, I have no functional memory, so that's my excuse there. That's reasonable. You know, many such cases, many such cases, which is also I'm really screwed when it comes to TV shows because I have to The reason I have to watch it all at once is because I forget everything. But I also have to watch everything linear. So when like a new season, like a new season, a lower decks came out and I'm I just finished rewatching all first four seasons so that I could watch season five. Oh, because I can't just jump in. But Jamie Loftus helped make it so I have to watch it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, yeah, beloved friend of the show and coworker, Jamie Loftus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love Jamie. So that was one of the things that Stalin did that was good. Was Rob Banks. Second. He made his greatest contribution to socialism on March fifth, nineteen fifty three, when he died. Ah, I was gonna make a joke about him dying. No, I have nothing nice to say about that man. Besides the fact that he was before he had any power and he was a bank robbery, he was an interesting person. He died and everyone was like desperately like, oh cool, can we destalinize now? This has been just a reign of terrors, like literally a rule by fear, and it affected everyone at the highest levels too. So a guy named Krushchev came into power, and for a while in the nineteen fifties the USSR looked like it was going to de Stalinize and become slightly less fucked of a place. Spoiler alert, this is the guy who was about to invade Hungary. In Hungary, things start to become a little bit more free. Specifically, in June of nineteen fifty three, the leader Matthias Rikassi, who called himself Stalin's Hungarian disciple, stepped aside for a guy named Imare Nog. And this guy has done a lot of stalinisty things over his life Nog, but in general, his whole thing was like not being as bad as Stalin. I was like his whole vibe right.
Speaker 3: But that great great bander to be able to wave like I'm not as bad as Stalin well, spoiler alert, it's gonna get him killed by the communists.
Speaker 1: Rip.
Speaker 2: I guess unless it here is always be worse than Stalin were the same as Stealin. No, they'd probably get killed by Stalin too, that's true. That's true. Be Stalin. I guess it's never safe to be a Bolshevik. Bolsheviks will kill you.
Speaker 3: Like that's always the thing is, like people always assume that you're going to be like Stalin, or you're gonna be on the secial committee or something. It's like, no, like you're gonna be some asshole who's like neighbor gets into an argument with you over like dishwashing, and they're gonna report you to the secret police and then you're gonna die.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like that's like the actual like experience of this, like yeah, you, oh, you'll be I've read accounts of people in the Red Arm in World War Two, not only like not being given a gun and being sent into battle anyway being like, well there'll be guns around, just get out there, but literally told that if they don't like shout like glory to Stalin enough as they like charge tanks with their fingernails, that they're going to be shot by the cadre who's behind them? Great, great, great, incredible. Well, I mean, look, you have to use the guings for something, and it can't be shooting at the Nazis. Yeah I know, yeah, yeah, look, you have so many communists to shoot, like, I know, I know. No one is better at killing communists than communists. The Nazis came close, they tried, they did their past. Yeah, yeah, which fuck them. Actually it might be a it might be a tie. Yeah, they might have. They might actually have been better at it. Yeah, but anyway, A couple of days later, after Nog gets into power, there's a worker's insurrection in East Berlin involving a million fucking people who wanted to live decent lives. Fifty or one hundred people were killed when the USSR crushed that rebellion with tanks. In a couple of days, looking at Hungary and the general discontent, Nog is like, maybe we should try something new, a new course, he called it. And that's what it was called, with like capital N and capital C. Better standard of I mean, it is genuinely a better thing. Nog is not actually a bad person in this story. Better standard of living, No more internment, camps. Some prisoners get amnesty. People can have religion, I guess, and also stop trying to force everything to industrialize. Collectivization of farms is now optional, and so a quarter of them decollectivized. I believe it to set up like small farms, but I don't know. It could have been trying capitalist farms. I don't know. Nog was still like a pro stalin Ish guy, and he called the Great Purge of the lighteen thirties trial and error.
Speaker 3: I guess that is technically true. They did do trials and they didn't make a lot of errors.
Speaker 2: But it's true. It's gonna happen to him too, because they even, like half of those people who get killed later, the communists are like, oh, I shouldn't have killed that guy. There's a whole yeah, there's a whole like thing. Which is also funny because people now today believe that, like all those people deserve to die. It's like the communists, like the stalin Ist yeah, like the actual like stalind didn't believe that, like what are we doing here?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely terrible, terrible, And they tried the new course and for a while it must have been nice. But on April eighteenth nineteen fifty five, naug is kicked out and another guy, Hegettis, is in and I probably mispronounced his name, but it's okay because he's not going to come back up in the story. No more new course, back to rule by fear. Peasants who don't meet their quotas are deported. I believe to do labor in the USSR, but everything I like, literally I like three different sources are like, oh, they get deported as if I know exactly what that means instead of just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I mean it could also mean like internal deportation, because like right, yeah, like Soviet systems are set up such that like you're not supposed to be have like leave your area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that.
Speaker 3: There's just like a weird thing that still exists in some European cities where like you can get kicked out if you're like in another city and like at night like to do this with like like people who look not white in like Belgium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're like in another city partying, they will just like fucking kick you out and send you back to the city. You're like quote unquote supposed to be in terrible stuff. Zero out of ten we hate it. I think that that's gonna be like a big that's like a big sign of when US authoritarianism gets to a point where like internal travel, I mean obviously internal travel isn't always safe for everyone already. Yeah, like there's already, like anything, we're retally close to the borders. It's like, you know, especially to further south you go, has had checkpoints, but like it can get worse. It can always get worse. Yeah, and I guess they also are trying to make it illegal it whatever. I don't know all the details of all the laws, but like you can't go get reproductive care in another state sometimes, and yeah, freedom of movement. I think it should be complete and for involve international borders as well, but well there shouldn't be them, but anyway, So in May nineteen fifty five, speaking of internationalization, the Warsaw Pact was signed. This was the USSR's answered, well, it was the Soviet Block's answer to NATO. It is a military alliance of all the Eastern Bloc communist countries. This alliance ostensibly means any country will support the others, but it also means, in effect, Soviet troops are allowed to occupy any Eastern Bloc country as long as NATO is around. To be fair, NATO is the same thing, just with the US and the USSRS for all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like and there they are going to spend a lot of the money and resources from that forming like incredibly weird stay behind networks of like Nazis with guns. We're gonna do a whole bunch of terrible shit.
Speaker 2: So it's not great, Like these things both suck. I literally don't whether you're talking about the Soviets or NATO, but either way, oh, NATO, NATO, this is not talking about but yeah that the Soviets tend to be more like tank roly and the NATO tends to be more like ooh by weird spies handed in Neo Nazia a bunch of bombs and they blew a bunch of train up. Yeah, fair enough. Soviet troops are stationed in Hungary as a result of the War So Pact. The majority of Hungarians see themselves as under occupation and that however, my source on that is a US Army report from early nineteen fifty six, which is not the most reliable source, but it matches everything else I've read. I just want to flag that one is not the safest source. But I want to talk about that report from January nineteen fifty six. We're going to talk more later about US involvement and lack of involvement in the Hungarian Revolution, But in January nineteen fifty six, there was a US Army intelligence briefing about Hungary about whether or not it was a reasonable place to foment insurrection against communism. There were probably reports like this for all the communist countries, but this is the one that I read. The report decided the answer of whether or not to foment an insurrection Hungary was no, saying that Hungary was quote singularly unpromising. I wonder if you're gonna be able to guess why it's unpromising. You probably aren't. It's too weird of an answer, although it's an answer I like, too democratic. No, it's it's too geographically flat. Oh, it's the fucking Oh, it's the Siga War. You need mountains to have a gorilla war. You know, one day on this show, we're gonna do my blanky. The writers of Rohan who didn't have mountains and they still kicked ass. I was Emakar Cabral who was like, ah, the people are my mountains.
Speaker 3: Each ship will fight a war in the planes that Oh, he's the guy. He was one of the guys who like liberated Guinea Bissau and like the Cape Verde from from the Portuguese.
Speaker 2: Okay, and they killed it. They killed him before he could like because he didn't have mountains. They won the war. Oh okay, fair enough, Okay, okay, the people were his mountains. They also like basically defeated fascist in Portugal basically like they can't kick their ask so much that the government collapsed. Hell yeah, yeah, shit guy rules. Also, I want to just make a correction of something I said earlier. Rohan was able to go to helms deep, which were in the mountains, and that's true. That's true. That is how they survived. So I apologize everyone. One day I'm gonna have an actual person who has Lord of the Rings on here and they're gonna be like, what's the name of the mountains, And I'll be like, man, I don't know the name of the mountains. What the fuck? I just like read those books a couple of times, and I like the stories, like what God created the mountains, like yeah, exactly. Anyway, so they look at so the US Army. The US Army looks at this place and is like, this is unpromising. There is less active resistance there than there were in any of the other Warsaw packed countries, but there was very widespread passive resistance, especially among the peasantry, because agricultural workers were under less strict control, because it's harder to control people in rural areas than when they're condensed into factories. Sure, if you don't meet quotas, you will be deported, but there were widespread work slowdowns and shit, especially in the rural areas. And the report comes out in January and Eisenhower's like, yeah, that's not worth fighting a world war over. I am not fomenting an insurrection there, and the issue is largely dropped. I will come back and talk about some of the US involvement, but that's later and less than what people claim. Meanwhile, throughout the nineteen fifties, revolts start to pop off around the Warsaw packed countries, and even within the USSR. Poland had been revolting, and Polish communists are like, aren't we fucking independent from the USSR? Isn't that like part of our whole thing, Like I thought we were a communist country. That's like a separate country. And they were upset that they had to sell coal at shitty prices to the USSR. Poland's economy was completely wrecked under communism in the fifties. According to communist documents, by June nineteen fifty six, you have one hundred thousand polls demonstrating against the communist regime and fifty seven people were killed. People in Hungary were aware of this happening. Declassified documents show that all the communist parties of these various countries were like saying, declassified documents. They were declassified a long time ago. I'm not being like I've got my no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are these these are like Falosov Union documents, Yeah exactly, like we got all the troops.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The communist parties of all these various countries were like, oh, fuck, we're losing control in nineteen fifty six, so they got together to be like, what the fuck are we going to do? Press and radio were starting to leave Communist party control, partly due to dissent within the party. This is specifically in Hungary. The main Communist Party paper. Remember I promised to you earlier that the Hungarian Communist Party was full of people who were like, were what now communists? All right? I guess I mean we were socialists. I guess sure, you know, the main Communist party paper in Hungary was run by communists who dis agreed with the Communist party line. An internal Communist Party investigation from Moscow reported, quote, a practically parallel Communist party, opposed to the Central Committee of the party has been created, which acts freely and without impediments. Woo, that rules things. I created a second shadow Communist party inside of the regular covenis from It sucks less, but it was like but it was basically the entire Communist Party was the shadow Communist party. The Communist Party of Hungary wasn't loyal to the Communist Party of Hungary, or at least its own ostensible party line. People were paying lip service to the party line in order to not get crushed. Several hundred dissident party members have recently been released from prison and shit, I think as part of the new course. And so Rakosi was like, the guy who's in charge right now, He's like, well, quote, if we arrest some others will appear, and if we arrest them, the third wave will arise and there would be no end to that. He's just like, nah, yeah, yeah, I would get the rest of them, like, let just keep me more. Yeah. And so that the communist guy from Moscow is writing this report. His name is Anastas mccoyan, and he wrote, just to quote him from his report, quote, the local Communist party should not have its own policy. It should be an executor of the Russian Communist Party's decisions. Which is just like a this isn't the USSR, Like this is such a nice, clear, blatant example of the fact that like the satellite states were just that, you know, yeah, they're just colonies, yeah, like the US and Puerto Rico. And here's one of my favorite pieces of Soviet double think I've ever read, from the same report, quote, A situation where newspapers in the radio cease to serve as channels of the Central Committee line also represents a violation of internal party democracy. It is therefore necessary to get rid of all press and radio staff unwilling to implement the Central Committee's line in the name of democracy. Oh god. And so there's this thing that happens sometimes in history, and when this thing happens, you usually get a revolution. As far as I can tell, it is when young intellectual types start talking to and listening to workers and vice versa. And you've got that going on in Hungary at this point. The Young Communists is the official youth organization of the Communist Party. Oh yeah, the group that leads the fucking revolution is part of the Communist Party. And in April nineteen fifty five, the year before the revolution, they formed the Potophi Circle. It is named after an eighteen forty eight Hungarian national poet who fought against the Austrians back in that pro democracy leftist nationalist revolution. I was talking about the very beginnings of people were attending these Potfi Circle meetings. This isn't just like a book club or whatever. I mean. Book clubs are great, listen to mine every Sunday and so okay. I was saying how peasants can do passive resistance because they're not as closely surveilled. But industrial workers have an advantage too. They can organize because they're in close proximity to each other, and they're also because they're in the cities in proximity with the po TOFI circle of intellectuals, and the two groups start talking more and more. These people do not want to end communism. They are communists. They want communism, they want democratic workplace control, unions, workers' rights ideally, and they're kind of split over whether they want to use a sort of existing state Soviet infrastructure and have like a more top down kind of whatever, or if they want worker control of their own workplace, complete bottom up transformation of society. Yeah. By nineteen fifth they start having some strikes, not the Potoviy circle but workers, and the potovie circle starts supporting those strikes. And then okay, So this guy named Laslo Rosch, he was a Hungarian communist. He did it all. He was kicked out of the school in the nineteen thirties for being Communist party member. He fought in Spain and the International Brigades of the Spanish Civil War take a drink for Spanish Civil War. Mentioned. He organized underground communist shit and fascist Hungary during World War Two and was arrested and barely survived. And then I did say he was a state communist. He ran the communists secret police in Hungary. Oh No, and he set up the very first show trials in that country and started persecuting religious people. And do you know how it killed him. It's not gonna be suberculous this. That's the other thing that kills people, the government. Yeah, the government. Yeah. No, he was killed in a show trial, only a couple of years after he invented show trialsks, folks, don't show trials. You will die in your own show trial. Yes, simply do not do it. They're easy. I'm doing it right now. Yeah, he does not do it. Play authoritarian games and you win authoritarian prizes. Why do I bring him up? His wife, Julia Rosh was part of the Potofi circle, and they forced the government to officially say, I guess we shouldn't have killed that guy. And one hundred thousand people turn up for his new state funeral and it's one hundred thousand anti establishment folks, m h. And it is the first big gathering of such people in Hungary since Soviet era. And so yeah, the po Tofi circle is organizing. They go out all over the country to other cities and start spreading their ideas and soon they're gonna have a revolution, which we'll talk about on Wednesday. Ooh, cliffhanger. Oh, I know, you gotta come back. There's a better cliffhanger, like about five hundred words from now the script, but it would have been too uneven of a break. I could have left it on the like and they've got guns, what's gonna happen? Don't worry, They're gonna get guns, and then we'll see what happens. Oh yeah, So I'm excited for the workers getting guns. We always like the workers getting guns. I know, I know that's a big uh. Well, actually it almost ended up in the script and then got I ended up taking it out because people kind of take Marxist quotes about gun control out of context. It turns out like he has this quote where Marx is a quote where he's like, I don't know whatever, like don't let the workers be disarmed. Yeah, it's like the workers should never give up their guns. Yeah yeah, But that's actually in the context of a communist state, like being the community, being the people trying to It's like not quite as cool of a quote as even I want it to be. And so I try to include I'll bunch of that stuff, and then I ended up cutting a lot out I also ended up cutting out a lot where I like would find sources with like really banger quotes about why like Lenin quotes about like don't do imperialism in your communist country or whatever, but then I couldn't source them besides to the fucking anarchist thing from the nineteen sixties that I was quoting from. Oh okay, there's actually an explanation for this, okay, just that there is a bunch of stuff that Lenin said that is cut out of the official anthology that were published by the Soviet Union. Oh shit.
Speaker 3: So, for example, he has this line about how national autonomy along the lines of two German guys who name I can't remember right now, like is in and of a self reactionary okay, which is this thing that is like if you take what he's saying like seriously and you're like, oh, okay, like you're not supposed to have like national cultural autonomy. This also kind of like annihilates the basis of sort of like a bunch of the way stylist national liberation like functions where you're supposed to have your own sort of like nationalist workers movement, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Et cetera. And that shit is fucking gone. They cut that shit out of the speeches, like the writings, So there's shit that Lenin said that is just not in the official things were they like edited down his like things.
Speaker 3: And because and because like those official copies of like Lenin's writings and whatever are the ones that like are a lot of the ones that got digitized, they's sometimes hard to find things that he actually said.
Speaker 2: It's also in translation too, right, so you're searching searching a quote, and so if it's not the exact same translation, it's gonna be different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like I learned this from a very very angry trust Gate professor I had in college. That guy, I hope he's having a good day.
Speaker 2: It was. It was a whole thing I learned a lot about. Trotsky is still a disaster, but they have a lot of very funny beefs that have to do with like specific quotes that were cut out.
Speaker 4: But the styllamists, Hell, yeah, it's a good time. Well, there's gonna be lots of good revolution and stuff on Wednesday. In the meantime, I guess I already plugged book club, but I do a book club and Mia, you did. I just introduced you and assumed everyone listening to who you were. But that might not be the case.
Speaker 2: There might be someone who doesn't know who you are. Who are you? How'd you get here? I am Mia Wong. I am one of the hosts of the podcast It Could Happen Here, a podcast about things falling apart and how to put it back together again. I guess I'm also There's a lot of people who don't realize I'm also the Ice Must Be Destroyed girl on originally Twitter and now just blue Sky. So yeah, I do those things. We have a podcast. It's good History is most vindicated poster. That is what people are calling you. It was funny.
Speaker 3: I was talking about this today and I was like, well, yeah, of course obviously was like, yes, I took the incredibly bulld political position of regardless of what administration is in power, the Gestapo was bad. And I was like, yeah, I don't know this.
Speaker 2: This is like being vindicated for saying that water is wet, Like it's like, this is the easiest shit of all time. Like I will say though, Okay, so for anyone who's listening, MIA's posts always end with furthermore no yes, more over, ice must be destroyed. Moreover, ice must be destroyed. And I reached a point because you also have like really good tweet threads. Sometimes I reached a point every now and then where I'm like, man, could you just stop? Like everyone knows this, no, but I can't. It's an active hatred act of grief active. And for me it came around first is before I even knew you. I was like, oh, it's the ice must be a destroyed girl. And then like I was like, oh, I'm friends with the ice must be destroyed girl. That's so cool. And then eventually I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, we get it. I want to read the thread without seeing that every time, but as it swings around, I'm like, no, it just really needs to be said constantly.
Speaker 3: And yeah, because someone asked you and no one else's and like I don't know, I can. Yeah, Like I was doing it in the wake of like just sort of collapse of occupy Ice, and like as it was sort of falling apart, and like someone had to try to keep the fucking flame alive in some public way, and yeah, a person shoued out to be me, even though I had like a thousand followers at the time, and I was just like some.
Speaker 2: Dipshit, but I are a dipshit with a ton of followers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's that you too can be some random person who then suddenly does a thing, and you can you can do good in the world.
Speaker 2: All right, Well that's it. Listen to more cool Zone Media podcasts and we'll talk to you on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts on cool Zone Media, visit our website Foolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.