Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mallard starts right now in.
Speaker 4: The air Everneware The Fifth Hour with Me, Big Ben and Danny g Radio. A Happy Friday to you as we kick off the weekend on this the twenty third day of August. Happy Find your inter Nerd Day today, big day for a lot of baseball executives who have found their inner nerd and are destroying baseball on a day by day basis. It's also National sponge Cake Day today, It's Cheap Flight Day today, and more importantly, it is a big Sigh of Relief Day today. Why we had the announcement last night on the terrestrial radio show this podcast. Think of it as a companion of the Big News. If you missed it, bad job by you don't worry. I got youa The news is now out. It's back double your pleasure, Double your fun. The only thing more shocking than having NBC tell me that they wanted me to do a TV show last year is that they called me up and said, hey, let's run it back and do it again. Because NBC has picked up season two of Benny Versus the Penny. Now, there's a couple of reasons for this. I would say the most important is you actually watched the show, and that the base of this audience, which is you and those that are p ones and loyal supports. Law millions of the Overnight Show have followed me and wherever I end up, you guys have been great, and so that's really the backbone. So it's not anything that I've done, it's your guys supporting the show. And this is not some kind of April Fool's Day joke. In August, they've given me the green light.
Speaker 1: This had been in.
Speaker 4: Bargoed for a while. I was told not to talk about it. They wanted me to wait until we got closer to the start of the show. We had our maiden voyage in twenty twenty three. It was neck and neck between myself and The Penny, handicapping every game.
Speaker 1: And now it's time for the sequel.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited to finally be able to talk to you about this. Everything had been put on time out the gag order, and I finally got the green light from the network and the handcuffs have been removed and we're ready to go. The show is actually going to be bigger than it was last year, and we'll talk more about it as we go through the podcast, but no longer just on regional cable television. In addition to that part of the puzzle, which is the base, the show is produced out of NBC in Boston, but we are going national. Benny Versus the Penny is going to be a national television show. You'll be able to watch this anywhere, any place. So many of you complained last year. I live in the boondocks. I can't get an NBC cable affiliate, but I want to watch Benny Versus the Penny. Well, they heard you, and I complained, and you complained, and we all complained, and I'm happy to let you know that Benny Versus the Penny will be streaming. Every episode will be available on Peacock, So there's no reason to miss an episode of Benny Versus the Penny, and we're going to need your help, much like this podcast. We've deputized you over the years here to have your friends and kids and grandkids and cousins and god children.
Speaker 1: And anyone's in your circle.
Speaker 4: One's got a circle, right, takes the village to support what we do here, and so there's an easy way to do it. So many people have Peacock. It's not very expensive at all. In fact, there's a free version, I think, but the pay version is not not much at all, and so people have it and we get credit when people watch Benny versus Penny. I don't even know how all that works, but I know if you're watching, they know exactly who's watching, they know how many people are watching. So a lot of you did grumble about that, and now you're gonna be able to have a flipping good time and be part of this show as we go all the way through the NFL regular season and through the super Bowl, we were qualifying for the playoffs, and it's it's just gonna be a ton of fun. It's just gonna be absolutely great. I'm so excited that this is happening. And the reason I was back in Boston was because of the TV show, and you know, I didn't want to say anything. I was told not to as I said, not to say anything, but now I can. And we were trying to get Pat Sajak to come out of retirement and represent the Penny.
Speaker 1: He rejected this, so we went back.
Speaker 4: To Tom Looney and Looney joins us.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 4: He's right over there, he's putting his makeup on, and it just came out from suntanning and we welcome in the Voice of the Penny for season two of Benny Versus the Penny and Tom Looney welcome. What is your reaction to Looney to Benny Versus the Penny returning for another season on television.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I'm not all that shocked. But if you remember, if you go back on the hot Tub time machine, when you and I worked together in the late nineties at Extra Sports eleven fifty in Los Angeles, don the hall from Rick D's and Ricky Martin walking down the hallways, that's true. I came up with you. I remember at the time I was negotiating a TV deal with Canada, the cb C, I believe it was, and it was going to be an NFL show. Looney Versus the Loon told you all about my idea, and then, uh, you know, then fast forward and you're doing Veny Versus De Penny on the radio. It's a big hit. I loved the idea and the concept, and now it's a TV show. So I'm not so surprised that my original idea is now a televison.
Speaker 4: That's funny because I was in Vermont, uh when we were we're in Boston, and Arnie said that I stole the bit from him. It was Arnie versus the Shekel, and it.
Speaker 1: Was very excited. He was annoyed that I took his bit, and he's like, well, I should be the one on NBC. You shouldn't be the one on NBC. What's up with that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: But to me, there are broadky. You and I both know that there are broadcasters we know that aren't satisfied with their really cool jobs. Arnie's always been one of them. He's never stopped working. They're not satisfied with their really cool jobs. They look at the other shiny object jobs.
Speaker 1: I should be doing that that. Oh yeah, I mean most people that do these jobs. I don't know what you got that job on it? How funny than you.
Speaker 3: I mean, oh man, I want.
Speaker 4: To feel like a king of the world. Okay, if you want to feel like you're the most important person in the world, travel all the way to Burlington, Vermont and visit Arnie. No One no One Looney comes and visits my guy Arnie out in the boondocks. He's like an hour from Montreal, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees, and it's like a resort town where like really rich people go and hang out. And I drove up there, and we drove up in the tail remnants of that storm that was passing through while we were there, the tropical depression, and we drove that.
Speaker 3: Was Debbie, Yeah, the Debbie Downer hurricane. Yeah, and she.
Speaker 1: Did drop down a lot of a lot of water.
Speaker 4: But we drove in the night, got there, Arnie picks us up at the We told the story last week on the podcast, but Arnie picked me and my wife up at the hotel. We then got the VIP tour. We did everything there is to do in Burlington, Vermont in four hours, and then got back there and headed back down to Boston. But we should tell the full story. I feel so relieved Looney, I'm so happy to do this podcast. I talked about this last night on The Overnight Show, but this thing has been embargoed, And unlike other people that I will not name, whose initials may be TL, I did not tell a single person that this was in the media anyway that this was happening. It's been in the works for a couple of months, but we were told, and you actually were the one that said, Hey, you want to check with the network to make sure everything's okay. So I contacted our guy John and he's like, hey, I want you to hold off on.
Speaker 1: This, just wait until we get a little closer. Don't announce anything.
Speaker 4: So it was killing me, Looney, But I feel like a giant weight has been lifted that I am now able to discuss this publicly the TV show, which is kind of good because it starts next week.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, very exciting learning our affiliates up and down the line. Right now, we're going to go a little bit over because we're talking about ourselves. But Betty Versus the Penny season two, and we're gonna we're gonna start before and Ffell Week one last year, which is a NFL Week one through the super Bowl. Now it's week one, one week before Week one, and then we do a put some icing on the cake once the super Bowl is over at the end of the year. So it'll be a nice twenty week run, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's almost the next step. Would we just do a year round.
Speaker 1: Next? Have to do this?
Speaker 4: But uh, but but it's great fun. I'm really excited. We have new logo this year on Benny Versus the Penny, new season, new logo, new graphics, which.
Speaker 3: Is you'll have I'll have twenty six new shirts.
Speaker 1: I am going to be allowed.
Speaker 4: The people at NBC have told me I can now wear different clothes this year, so I don't have to wear the same thing every week. Not that it is wearing the same thing every single week, but I could change it.
Speaker 1: Up a little bit.
Speaker 3: And your defense too. You shop at the same place that the Doc River shops. The Big and Tall you likes, how both of you and how big both of you and Doc are?
Speaker 1: How great is that? How good is that story?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: Looney? That and you know that story because we go way back.
Speaker 4: But I ran in when Doc played for the Clippers. I knew him a little bit and I was in New York visiting my older brother Joe, and I was at a big and tall store and Doc was in there. He was just starting as like a broadcaster, and he was in there and and.
Speaker 1: He said, he said hello. It was very nice.
Speaker 3: And then as the Doc Rivers said, high band, it's really that's the greatest thing in the world. When a famous person.
Speaker 1: It's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: But but but then the funny thing is I grew to hate him because of his coaching.
Speaker 1: So but at the time, I mean, we had a good relationship and all that, but it was it was one of those those things. But I will be wearing different filings. I did some new clothes this year, so that's exciting.
Speaker 3: Oh that is great. Well, it's easier for me because I'm a perfect medium. I got all I got all the way down to my high school wait for the show. People don't realize, I know, you put all in, all the work studying all these games. People don't realize the dieting and exercise and tanning I put in, and memorization of lines that I do every single week. People just are all focused on you and the games and the scores and uh and forgetting about the hard work. I put in at the time, Well.
Speaker 4: Clearly yeah, and I want you a listener to know that. As we were doing this podcast, I had to fight Looney. He said, why is this not video?
Speaker 1: This show?
Speaker 4: I should be on camera and I'm like, no, this is audio only. They don't pay me enough, Looney for video, Like they pay more for video, right, they pay more for video.
Speaker 3: And you will you will back me up that for twenty four or twenty three years, even though I was in a business where people couldn't see me, I was I was camera ready at all times. I was just waiting for something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the opposite, right.
Speaker 4: I hated years ago when Fox Sports Radio put a camera in the studio and they thought this like stream on the on the internet and you know, five people watched it or whatever, but there was a camera on us all the time. We were like we were like in a zoo cage, you know. I could not stand at it was like the worst and uh.
Speaker 3: But now people were also paranoid too that they weren't really using it. For that reason you know that bosses and the the illuminati who we worked for, of course, is because we're members of a major media corporation, would be watching us, and so we were always a little worried about that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were slightly slightly concerned.
Speaker 3: I did have a woman, let's talk about it was not there anymore taco shop on Figueroa who told me when I told her I worked at Fox Sports Radio, I came in the next time and she had questions about the Illuminati because she told her that if I worked at Fox, I must be part of you. Oh I have.
Speaker 4: I have had several calls over the years, and my favorite of all time was years ago. This this old grandma, probably great grandma from Massachusetts called up and she was on hold for hours because the person's screening the I was like, ah, she's she'll.
Speaker 1: Hang up, don't you know whatever, she's terrible, So we I finally went through. I felt bad she'd been whole for a while.
Speaker 4: She gets on the air and she says, if I hate Fox News, I hope you get caantheos like something like that, and she hung up, hung up the phone, and I'm like, it's Fox Sports.
Speaker 1: It's iHeart, it's not you know, it's a totally different animal.
Speaker 3: But she had no Well, what's also funny is people thinking that Fox is so good. Fox News is a brand, but they're forgetting what about the Family Guy and Simpsons that used to get protested over the years for their liberal content or their vulgar content. Over there, Fox On on Century in Central City has a better place where you could work and uh in a Hawaiian shirt and your bare feet for the past twenty five years. So funny people get all that all that stuff mixed up when it comes to the media.
Speaker 4: Well, but Lody, this TV show yet again, back, get back to let's get to us in the show about the show, and we will be again recording at the world famous Universal Studios Hollywood. Have our studio, which we I believe the same studio last year.
Speaker 3: In the Tom brocall building, Tom Tom Looney, Ben Maller. Which one We're.
Speaker 4: Going to park our parking garages, these Laurel and Hardy garages, Abet and Costello, abbitt in Costello. I got my comedy duos mixed up there abbit in Costello. It's been so long since I've been to Universal. Although I did just get an email Tom, I hope you got the email too. It appears I'll be making an early appearance at Universal to get my parking squared away there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I didn't get a read the whole thing when I was clicking into the zoom link.
Speaker 1: But you have much more to do you you were completely You have to go into the main office there at Universal and beg for forgiveness and all that.
Speaker 4: I just merely have to pull up. But it is a tremendous ink. He means when you live in the north Wood, Looney. But it's a good kind of inconvenience to have to get over there and get that all sorted out.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping right, these are the kind of problems we want, like the problem I was in the middle of a vacation and had to go to Boston to make promos and bumps. That's the kind of problems I want in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, for full disclosure me and Looney, as you know, I was in Boston. I missed a couple of the nights of the Overnight Show. And anytime I missed the Overnight Show, I get reprimanded by the p ones, Looney. They get very upset. They're like, you got to be there, what's wrong with you? Shame or you know. I was like I couldn't say exactly why.
Speaker 4: People a lot of people figured out why I was in Boston, and so they put the clues together. But some people who are completely clueless, like a certain truck driver in Arkansas, was giving me a really hard time.
Speaker 1: So I was like, whatever that is.
Speaker 3: So, by the way, it's such a compliment when it happens. Do they are all your hours live now? Do they repeat the first hour in the last hour?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't.
Speaker 3: When JT and I had that shift, people would people would berate us that the first that the last hour of the show was just a re recording of the first hour, and it was such a compliments to five fucking hours.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know. I try to point this out to people.
Speaker 4: I was like, you know, most they claim, and I don't know if it's changed over the years with the world we're in now, but we both got in the radio. They always said, well, you'll be lucky if people listen for five or ten minutes. You're well if anything over ten minutes, so much.
Speaker 3: And that's why those news stations say give us twenty two minutes, will give you the world, because at one time the average person listened twenty two minutes.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought that was the average commute was like twenty two minutes.
Speaker 3: Oh really, Oh that was what was when we when we were driving Model Ts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I would like to thank traffic because I do very well the last hour on the overnight tom because people get up earlier and earlier to try to beat the traffic. So people are getting up on the road at like five in the morning on the East Coast and I'm still there, so it's it works out very well for me. But we were in Boston actually need them, Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: We flew to Logan I here.
Speaker 3: At the taj Mahal of the NBC Regional Network studios. That place was amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't that, Pa, And you didn't get to go last year. I went without you and you were there and we we went into makeup.
Speaker 4: We had everything we brought our obviously about our own wardrobe, and we went in there and wanted it all over the place. That's the hub of NBC and Boston. They had the local NBC News, was there, NBC Sports, like, Yeah, it was amazing that built.
Speaker 3: You know what was really fun when we were doing what we were doing and recording promos and bumps and all that inside lingo stuff. The United States was playing Serbia, remember, and so what's really fun about working in this business is everybody said that, you know, the last minute of the game, and people said, you might just wait and watch this last minute of the game. Where no other you know, in any other industry, they're not going to stop down to let you watch a game. Yeah, but we are in the sports industry. They let us stopped down and watched the game.
Speaker 1: That was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we we were in full makeup and all the all the stuff.
Speaker 3: And now before we went out to dinner, did you take yours off?
Speaker 1: No? You know, I did not want people to set up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, only TV guys were makeup. I wanted to people want people to notice.
Speaker 4: That's the only way I'll make wear makeup. I'm not a big makeup guys. You know it's but for the TV, you know, for the almighty all powerful TV camera, we'll do the makeup. But we had a power dinner after we spent all day and this was a long day. This was many hours. We had the makeup. We had you know, the meeting, we were giving us lines. You were then ad living some of the lines. I was then throwing stuff out there. But then after that. We went back to the hotel and then we we met up at a fine restaurant in the Boston area there and we got to eat on the company dime they go for the meal, and I'm happy to report that we all ordered steak. I think we ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, which is I'm very proud of, even me. I'm not a big steak guy, Looney, but I was like, hey, listen, I'm not paying for it. NBC's paying for it. I'm getting steak. And I had it butterfly cut, just the way.
Speaker 3: I had a butterfly cut. You had one trash butterfly cut.
Speaker 1: It was so good.
Speaker 3: Oh my, you know, how how upsetting that? How upsetting that is? No, it's wonderful for the chef, Looney.
Speaker 4: The customer is always right, Mooney, and I'm the customer. And that's the way I like my steak. That's the way I enjoyed.
Speaker 3: The person who originally said the customer was never right was a rich guy who had never worked behind a counter.
Speaker 1: Well, so the customers always right, not never right, but yeah, no, but here's all right. That was your polish coming out in you right now.
Speaker 3: Well, it was, yeah, you know why, because I was looking for you know, whenever I go out to my favorite Mexican restaurant, there's this great reporter it seems to be there, and he's always still got his makeup on. So I wanted to be like one of my favorite reporters and have my makeup on when we went out. So that's why I was looking up to say. I was looking on the Channel five website for him because he's always at the UH at the don Kuco and Burdbank and says, oh, man, I gotta I gotta wear my makeup just like my guy does. And Chris Wolfe from Channel fives, because I'm one of those guys that still watch his local news back Channel five local news. Yeah yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Love local news.
Speaker 4: I love local news and UH and whenever I go to a new city, I always the first thing I do is get until I flip on the local news. Me too, yeah, the local I love the goofy local weather person, always complaining either too hot or too cold and then well and and sarcastically overwarms up.
Speaker 3: You know something like that. In Syracuse more than once, the UH, the weather person has become the lead news anchor because it gets so popular because all it is, you know, the whole news is always weather is news and Syracuse because it's blizzard, blizzard, blizzard, blizzard, blizzer, blizzer, blizzard, right, and the weather guy gets so much time on television They're Q rating goes up, and they said, let's just make them the anchorman.
Speaker 1: So that's what.
Speaker 3: They've done a lot of times over the years there. So, yeah, the weather people are more important in the Northeast than there where we live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but but you know, there are always out in LA. It's just like mostly very curvacous women.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that is the most g rated way we can put it. Curvacious women who I don't think went to meteorology school at Penn stated they don't think they're working for ACU weather.
Speaker 4: The first couple can tell you the Doppler, They can read the Doppler radar, you know, but I think they.
Speaker 3: Learned on the fly. I don't because I don't think it's that hard to learn it. But I bet you anything is that that's another one of those majors that they could probably teach in a class, and they stretch them out for four years.
Speaker 4: More likely than not, Now the a couple of things happened at that dinner which were hilarious. Now you were there with your godson, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've got there.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: Eric, very cool guy to see him, And I was trying to remember that I meet Eric when you know, when we were there in the nineties, and I don't know that I did.
Speaker 3: I don't know that you did, but if you did, you know, he would have been tiny. And so what's what I really liked is he's just as a side notes guy because your your wife is amazing. When you have right now that you're a TV guy, you don't even have to upgrade like TV guys. Do you already have a gorgeous wife of the music personality Always you wonder where these politicians get these amazing wives who can also talk to everybody, and you've already got one. And when we were in makeup Eric and sometimes have social exiety, I came back and you're talking away. He's talking about his daughter, and I'm thinking, wow, Okay, I knew that he'd be in good hands with your wife.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it was great. But there was one moment with him where we ordered the food. So the food shows up at the table, but what he ordered something that was different than what.
Speaker 1: They screwed it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well then they had to take the food back. But then there's this awkward situation at the table where everyone wants to be polite and wait for your, your god son Eric to get his food. In the meantime, all of our food is getting cold.
Speaker 3: I know, and I and I think it should I because and because he's young, he's just looking at his phone, not noticing everyone's waiting for him to get his food. And he's just looking at his phone and looking at his phone.
Speaker 1: And I was waiting for him to give the social to you.
Speaker 4: Oh it's okay, just eat, I'll get my food, don't worry, just eat and said that.
Speaker 1: He never said it.
Speaker 4: So we looked up from his phone. We're sitting there, and I'm like, I'm staring at my stake. I'm like, it's getting colder. It's getting colder. And then I looked in the back and I'm like, well, maybe this will be his food.
Speaker 1: You know, they'll bring it right out.
Speaker 3: Forty two things came out before Yeah. Yeah, and I again again also point out at me I could have texted him since he was looking at his phone.
Speaker 1: Let everyone know they could just stop.
Speaker 3: And then I didn't do it because I thought he would look up at some point and he didn't look up.
Speaker 1: And and the sense of relief when his food finally came, which seemed like it was maybe, you know, fifty minutes later when when it showed up and we all started eating, was like, oh, finally.
Speaker 4: The other thing that happened at this power meal. And we had these are big time hitters here, Lenny, we had who was the executive producer. I think that's is that his title of the show, h Vinnie, Kevin. We had a bunch of people. These are all very important people.
Speaker 3: I know John's a VP. I do know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very important people.
Speaker 3: Kamala Harras of Boston.
Speaker 4: Vinnie's our day to day you know, producer. Kevin's the big shot that runs at NBC Sports Boston there day to day.
Speaker 1: So all these are very important people, right, much too important to hang out with. Me and Looney. We're grabbing it.
Speaker 4: We're having a nice steak dinner and as the the meals kind of winding down a little bit, right, Uh now, I'm sitting my wife is on my right, Looney is on uh two over my left and then and uh so we're sitting there and I look over in my peripheral vision. Now the meal is winding down. You kind of get that vibe when you're at a meal like this.
Speaker 1: It's windy, it's kind of getting over.
Speaker 4: So I look over at Looney and he's got this, You've got this plate full of broccoli.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a hard time working. I think anyone would would would be on my so and be on my side over this.
Speaker 4: No mean, let me say so, I thought you're not gonna eat the broccoli. I just assumed, Okay, you're good and you're just gonna yet you're done with your meal and you're just gonna have the waiter take the broccoli away, and that you're not didn't want to eat it. But no, you're slowly, like you're ninety five years old, working your way.
Speaker 1: Through the BROCOLI I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: And it took you, I would say, and I don't want to exaggerate, Looney two hours to eat the broccoli.
Speaker 1: My god?
Speaker 3: What was Well? First of all, broccoli sucks, But I.
Speaker 1: Why did you get it? You could have gotten potatoes or something.
Speaker 3: Well, because of because we have a TV show coming up, and I'm I'm obsessed to being at my high school weight for the TV show. So I was working forcing my way through the broccoli, as anybody who can attested and eats broccoli would let you know, you have to force your way through it. It was a tough. Yeah, it was tough, and it took me way too.
Speaker 1: Love that.
Speaker 3: Those are the two most Polish moments, if I may gave an homage to my relatives in Poland, where where me not texting Eric saying let us know we can eat, and me working my way through the broccoli and taking forever like I was nine.
Speaker 4: You were involved in both of the awkward moments and naha, it's this power meal and then we add after the meal. And I do want to point out there was last year. I don't know if we talked about this when I had you on last year before season one at Beny Versus the Penny, but there were a couple of awkward moments where we talked about people in the business and each of us stepped.
Speaker 3: Ring forgetting the vice presidents and presidents of works might have worked with those people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we may may not have trash.
Speaker 3: Both stepped and ship home within a week of each other.
Speaker 4: Oh, very very awkward, very awkward. That did not happen this year.
Speaker 1: In fact, opposite happened one person who I praised, and I think you paused the conversation. Loony. There was a broadcaster who we will not name, who I praised, Right, I said, I think this guy's amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, I had to stop down the whole Let the whole table know that Ben is like the guy. This is a difference between your personality and mine. If we go to the prom, we are girls at the prom and I see somebody else were in the same dress. Hey, we got the same dress. You would be the one of the problem that wanted to execute the girl in the same dress. Right, you think every other broadcaster sucks, But there was one that you gave a fuse of praise to that people really hate on because they're jealous of his youth and how talented he is. Yeah, I was. I was stunned by a fusive praise of a young broadcast.
Speaker 4: And was not reciprocated by some of the people at the table.
Speaker 3: Right, surprise, Yes, that was surprisingly so right, Yes I was.
Speaker 1: I was shot by that.
Speaker 4: So then after the meal we went back and we decided. Looney, I actually pitched this to you. I said, hey, why don't we celebrate rare and appropriate because I had been fasting. I told you I went five days without eating, actually actually six days without eating.
Speaker 1: I was so paranoid. I was going to look like Job of the Hut on TV.
Speaker 4: Even though I've been about the same weight for the last year and a half, two years or whatever. But in my head, I still have the mindset that I was big, real big men back in the day.
Speaker 1: And so I was doing this extreme fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we both have body dysmorphia.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, I was doing this extreme fasting. But I was like, all right.
Speaker 4: We did the production shoot, we did the promos and all that stuff for the TV show.
Speaker 1: We had the meal. I ate a steak. That's good.
Speaker 4: So I was like, let's go, let's go have a canoli. Let's celebrate. We're in Boston, why not? And so you and your god send me and the wife. We I had rental car because we had to drive up to see Arnie in Vermont, and so we drove over to the north end of Boston. And I was shocked because you, Looney, travel all of you've been to a million places if you took a map out and put a pin everywhere Looney's by now yeah, insane and yet.
Speaker 3: Over forty or forty five states, and I don't know how many countries and continents, et cetera. But uh, you love the incredible A through Z list of places I've bet and.
Speaker 1: I've been to.
Speaker 4: Like I go to the same place as I go to Boston, I go to New York, I go you know, Chicago, I go to the Big Seas.
Speaker 1: I don't really get off the grid very much. But you had never been to the North End of Boston that.
Speaker 3: Bloo and I was blown away by the North End of Boston. You know, you really could judge a place, at least for me by when I walk in, When I go into a place and I say, wow, I could live here, And I've said that about about a handful of places over the years. And North oh, yes, because I could, Like I would love to be an apartment upstairs and just walk never have to drive. Because maybe it's because of all this time living in la it's always places we don't have to drive, like Amsterdam and some cities in Mexico where you can walk downstairs and get a coffee or walk downstairs and get a meal. Yeah, and North End of Boston's amazing. And what's great about that is you said you want to go out for dessert. I didn't know where you're going to take me, and then I just thought we'd pick a place nearby. No, because what we were staying wasn't nearby.
Speaker 1: About a fifteen minute driver.
Speaker 3: So oh, it's terrific. However long it was it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the North End, to me, that's Boston. If you will say they hate Boston, how can you hate the North End of Boston? And that place goes back to the early seventeenth century right right by English Puritans. I love going to places that are bathing in history. Yeah, so I'm not a lot.
Speaker 1: Of that where we are in California, you know.
Speaker 3: No, we paved pair of ice and put up a parking lot. Even the stuff that was bathing in history is gone. A McDonald's there now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that Paul Revere, his house from sixteen eighty was still there. Bill there right there after all these all these Although I did see that documentary years ago Looney where they said it was Israel Bissell, Who's who was the real hero, not Paul Revere, but Paul Revere had a better name, and so they went with the name Paul.
Speaker 3: Oh with the legend. Yeah, go with the legend.
Speaker 1: You know where it comes from. Yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, Buzz Aldrin was supposed to be the first guy to walk on the Moon. At the last minute they got you know, I got a little round table corner, offenses said, Neil Armstrong. Is a better name for a hero than Buzz in the sixties, right, And so at the last minute they switched that up on Buzz.
Speaker 4: Did they film the moon landing at Universal or where did they film that?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 3: I think it was the Tom Brokaw building before it was called the Tom.
Speaker 4: Provoco right over there, right there. And the cool thing that we didn't really get to do too much of this last year. But now since the TV show's back, we will be able to again have access to the Universal lots.
Speaker 1: So we'll have to take advantage of that.
Speaker 4: We'll have to, you know, after the taping, we'll have to pick a week and just wander around.
Speaker 1: Sure and enjoyed.
Speaker 4: I love it because I I in the old days when Fox Sports Radio launched, I had access to the to the Fox lot. I know, you worked over there with the best damn sports show. But for me, we had reading studios over there, and I had free reign. I would take relatives who would come to town from you know, other far away places, and we just go and like wander around the back lot, on the Fox lot, the New York skyline and all that, and and then nine to eleven happened, and then that was over and now and then yeah, no one's allowed on there, you know, unless you have a pass and so. But but for for about a year, it was amazing. It was so cool just to wander around and nobody cared. They ran all over the place and it was awesome. And it's a little similar. There's a lot of security at Universal, but once you get on there in the back, you can can wander around. And also, before I forget, I mentioned this at the beginning. You didn't hear it, looney, but at the beginning, not only is Benny Versus the Penny a regional cable sports show.
Speaker 3: On the end, ohoh you have you have psychic caability? Because I was gonna tell you shut up and remind him about Peacock. Is that what you're gonna do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Eddie, Eddie.
Speaker 4: I didn't tell Eddie because he was gonna he was gonna scream it out. He was one guy I didn't tell. He asked me about this, and I didn't tell him. But we are on Peacock. We're national. This is a national TV show now, Benny Versus the Penny. We made it through our rookie year and now the show will be available everywhere.
Speaker 3: Here's why I'm excited. I'm a big fan of watching Below Deck Mediterranean. So when people are typing in b e right, Allen, Anna, right next to each other, right, Allen, it's going to suggest to the Below Deck Mediterranean pads that they watch Benny Versus to Penny. I'm very excited.
Speaker 4: About and so it's it's both exciting, it's exhilarating, and it's also scary looney because now I mean, they'll track exactly. Cable television is a little hit and miss. You don't know exactly who's watching, but it's with Peacock, they know exactly who's to do. My advice is, hey, listen, if you're a fan of the show and you have kids, you know a lot of you, maybe you have grandkids and they have Peacock. Even if they don't know who we are, me and you, Looney, just have them watch, you know, just have them this show.
Speaker 1: And we've got some credit for that.
Speaker 4: We'd love for them to enjoy the show and like the show and watch the show and be part of the show. And it's not just the hard old sports show, because Looney, I do the hard old sports. You just you know, goof around, right, You just do jokes, You do penny jokes the whole time.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, come on, I do just as much research as you do, and I steal yours as well, and everyone, so I pluck one of yours.
Speaker 1: Yah, yeah, yeah. So here's what happens, full Scoar.
Speaker 3: So I people's research is still research.
Speaker 4: I spend all week putting notes together for the show, and I use about, what do you think, maybe ten percent of what I write. So I send it to Vinnie, our producer in Boston, and like, hey, here's Vinnie, here's what I got this week. Uh. And then inevitably, during the show, while we're recording Benny Versus the Penny, something that I had sent Vinnie will will fly back in my direction.
Speaker 1: From Looney's mouth. I'm like, wait a minute. You didn't come up with it, how dare you?
Speaker 3: As you know, I did want to go up into stand up comedy when I was younger, and I realized I would get assassinated. I do not forget any good joke, any good sports factoid goes in my head, and I will unabashedly, unashamedly steal it and use it right on the air, right in front of the face of the person who did all the.
Speaker 1: Work, as you have done. We did that radio show to get well.
Speaker 4: We did the show at Extra for a little bit, and then box we did the Blitz for seven or eight years.
Speaker 3: We were doing for the show sent pre NFL game and for all six hours during I mean during the six hours when the most of the games are played from ten am Pacific time till four pm. Yeah, it was terrific fun until we had to interview, of course, the athlete chapter of the early games, who's they ruined the whole show?
Speaker 1: A little tough?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was that was awkward. All right, Well, well end it there, Looney, Thank you. I look forward to seeing next week the show starts. We go live on tape, as you like to say, Looney live on Peacock and all the NBC affiliates on the cable.
Speaker 1: So we're excited.
Speaker 3: Since there's no games and we're not doing preseason games. What is the first show going to be about? Give them a little tease tease ahead here. Well, as you know, program direct you on the air, I am.
Speaker 4: A distant relative of no Stra Damas and friend of Nostradina. So show one is going to be a projection on what we can expect. A lot of win totals over unders. On win totals where me put your money with the win totals. Yeah, and there there are some people that I know that don't play the stock market and they invest their money on wins totals. There's a hack that I learned years ago that I will share on the TV show when it comes to win totals and player props, which is stacking the deck in your favor. I don't do it all the time, but it does stack. I'll explain it on the TV show and we'll also do some player props likely as well.
Speaker 3: What do you think the biggest tees right now is the most confusing head scratcher? Where are they trying to sucker people? Just to give a tease for a week one of.
Speaker 4: Well, the team that gets has gotten a lot of publicity, or the Chicago Bears on Hard Knocks, Right, they got a rookie quarterback, they've got a coach who's on the hot seat. I don't have it in front of me, but the team, generally, the team that gets the most buzz in the media run away from them.
Speaker 1: It doesn't go well.
Speaker 4: The team that wins the offseason, it doesn't doesn't generally go well for them. But we'll talk about that during the TV show. Thank you, Loony, I appreciate that. And make sure you show up on time. Do not show a don't show up late to our table read Loony, please, and you need to be there exactly when we start the table read please.
Speaker 3: I'll tell my driver