Speaker 1: It's time to raise the roof for our latest regular season episode. Welcome back to the pod everyone, part of the Just Baseball Network. I'm your host, Alex Murphy, our co host Gibbie should be one momentarily. We do have a very special guest who is here with me right now. He's already been on the pod, which is cool that he's a returning guest to the pod, Avery of Gate fourteen, the biggest Blue Jays podcast out there. I think we've already solidified that that's the case. Right at this point.
Speaker 2: We'll take that. We'll take that for sure.
Speaker 1: If not in.
Speaker 3: Top two, top three, we'll talk take claim to the top spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will. Thanks for having me again, Alice appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, yeah, Avery, thank you so much for coming on man as always much appreciated. So there's been a lot of things that going on this week with the Rays. The Rays are playing the Jays. Their series is wrapping up to I don't know. I would need to check if it's a day game or a night game night night game to night. Okay, that's what I would have thought, because I know that some teams do the mattin a stuff. The business person special type things some teams don't. But yeah, So the Rais and Jays have been playing this week in Toronto. There's been a lot of stuff happening on social media, which Avery has essentially been shut off too for good reason. I don't blame you at all for not seeing anything. So we'll get into that some more Ray stuff happening, because I want to get as we had Avery on the last time, talking about with new ownership, the race coming in and kind of what your thoughts were about that. Now we have the Rays apparently being the greatest team ever to be assembled through forty games or whatever it is, so we'll continue to talk about that. But Avery, I mean, how have you been. I know that you guys have had a lot going on. You guys tried to get something going earlier this week, but you guys decided to go join the grounds career at the Jays game. So how have you been? How? How are things gone?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 3: I mean it's really good when the Jays play well, and right now they are doing the exact opposite of that. So it's tough to tune in every night and tough to create you.
Speaker 2: Know that all too well?
Speaker 3: Sometimes like so I don't want to talk about the team when they're about to get swept again for the second time by the Rays.
Speaker 2: It sucks to watch.
Speaker 3: But you know the grounds crew stuff we did on Monday, Yeah, you sent me a message, is like, yeah, I'd love to do it, just can't can't do it today.
Speaker 2: Probably, but ground the grounds was really cool.
Speaker 3: They worked so hard and they're there for a long time and just I think very underappreciated or just no one really knows all the work that they actually do.
Speaker 2: So it's like, we should do should do video, we should really get to.
Speaker 3: The bottom of how much stuff they're doing so people can properly appreciate the grounds crew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And then I know everything that happened with spring training, you guys toward the whole new complex that's in Dunedin. You met with Shapiro and talked with him about all that stuff. Like how I mean, do you feel like as a Blue Jays fan before we get into the whole Jay's Ray stuff, are you like, how are you feeling about the direction of the team right now maybe to where it was a couple of years ago, Like is it in that same realm of where you want it to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think absolutely it's good too.
Speaker 3: It's good that it was kind of confirmed that it was being successful because I felt like the team was being run well. Everyone in here in Toronto is like it's sports fans everywhere. Everyone does the same thing, where just the all the doomers all the time, and like Toronto Maple Leafs hockey fans are the worst at that.
Speaker 2: So it kind of snuck into our baseball team.
Speaker 3: It's like they got to get shack in Shapiro and acts, they got to get them out of there. So that was always brutal. It was good to be just like it was a positive thing. They can win a little bit at least with this group, So the direction has been really good. I mean, I wish we could draft like the race and develop some players at the minor league levels. I would that would help the team out a lot on the trade market, something that they don't do very much now. They just got to sign all the top free agents for the biggest bucks. But I'm happy with the direction of the team's going. I think Shapiro is like a great ahead of it and h roscn still find some stuff that they'll be all right.
Speaker 1: As our co host Gibby Joints. Gibby, how you doing, man?
Speaker 5: Doing good? Thank you? That's up as much man. How how are we doing today?
Speaker 2: You guys are doing much better than I am.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I I forgot. I literally forgot about the whole you're you uh like Toronto thing. I forgot about because I just joined.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean this is the first time you guys are meeting. But Gibby, I mean, just have your thoughts been about what the Rays have done over the last like a couple of days week or so last year?
Speaker 5: Series pretty uh pretty still insane because I was talking about it last time how insane it was, and then they just they just keep winning somehow. I don't I don't really know, uh how how else to describe it? Uh, bitches don't love Sulcer. Though Soulcer didn't do good lat yesterday almost lost the game. I was gonna I would probably be a lot more mad if we actually lost that game yesterday. But they did one of those the Blue Jays did like a fake comeback where they they wanted to come back but then they.
Speaker 4: Kind of didn't. Uh.
Speaker 5: So it was it was a great I mean, it was it was great to watch, uh, very entertaining game overall.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Eventually, you know you're gonna have you're gonna have a bullpen guy that gives up five runs. You know, like are it was a very unsustainable you know winning uh track that we were on.
Speaker 1: But you know, you're saying that they can't be the best bullpen in baseball for like one hundred and sixty two games and.
Speaker 4: Have like a two R.
Speaker 5: Maybe I mean maybe they could, but uh, you know, we're kind of due for for crooked inning there. So I understood that. I really don't understand how we're still undefeated.
Speaker 4: Against the Blue Jays. I think they should have taken.
Speaker 5: One of these games from them right now. It's it's very surprising. I mean that, that's basically all I had to say.
Speaker 1: Hey, are you shocked by that? I mean, they're five and er right now. It's I know, I mean I know that yesterday's game was was relatively coast, but I don't really feel like a lot of like it feels kind of convincing at least, or like the race I've had convincing wins more or less than the Jays haven't been able to like pull through. Is that kind of how you felt?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're just playing the worst brand of bastars.
Speaker 5: Yes, they look like they don't want to be out there when they play the just when they play the Rays though, I mean that's it's kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 2: They're getting their ass kicked. I mean I would feel the same way.
Speaker 4: I think the same way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then finally it's like Vlad gets on with the stolen base after and they get a little bit of energy in the building, and then we just just Taylor Walls single through the Rights? Howe are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: It was good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Taylor Walls is uh, he's still the exact same guy that he was five years ago. I wish he was different. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what we've been. We've been forced into it at this point. He's like a cockroach. He can't die.
Speaker 5: Xavier Edwards, he who shall not be named Nah, Carson Williams, Nah, Taylor Walls.
Speaker 4: That's that's my that's my short stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't understand how he's still here, but he is. And like he's good enough to wear like he's not egregiously bad enough to where he won't leave, like he's just okay enough to still be mediocre and stay on the team. And I don't know how that has transpired over time, but it's like he still has a job, so good for him.
Speaker 3: He's valuable, you guys know he's valuable defensively obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like shout out, you could get him on both sides, but it is, yeah, just how the bat hasn't really changed ever, so sick.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it reminds me of like when I was in like school, you know, back in like elementary school, and I was very bad at like English, you know, like routing. I didn't like writing very much, so you know, I would just I would do very good of my math and science and then you know I kind of like do like one or two assignments every now and then in the writing, and then I kind of passed there. That's what Taylor Walls does. He just does one or two A sign is on offense. You know, it's like I'm gonna I'm gonna do this one single and somehow, you know, kind.
Speaker 4: Of win us the game.
Speaker 5: I mean just every now and then he just does enough to keep it the offensive going where it's like, yeah, the defense it's just it's all there and we still need him.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's pretty accurate. I'm not gonna lie, that's that's.
Speaker 5: The best analogy I could I could come up with, Hey, he's just a survivor's.
Speaker 4: He's not gonna give up.
Speaker 1: Geez. I mean, yeah, I guess it's accurate. The other thing I was curious specifically in this series because Gibby, I'm sure that you've seen everything that's been going on social media. Avery apparently has avoided everything, which kudos to you for finding a way, but your co host, Johnny seems to be going on a rampage against Now this is in a general sense, because I don't I mean this this happened specifically with a bunch of Rais fans and Johnny, but like, in a general sense, Blue Jays fans are turning into like wanting to like murder the entire team and like things getting really bad. But I mean, on that, like, how much have you seen of it? And then also for those that don't listen to Gate fourteen and don't know enough about Johnny, can you please describe who he is as a person and how much he welcomes these sort of things online.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'll say, like I'm in every group chat I'm in has Johnny in it.
Speaker 2: And there's a couple of times where.
Speaker 3: He loves the group chat fight and now he just does it on Twitter all the time. There's no one who loves yelling back and forth with people more than john Like overten he I think he loves his favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 2: He loves it, and he's a guy.
Speaker 3: I always say it like I wouldn't get into a fight with him because he's got he'll never lose, like in his mind, he'll never lose it.
Speaker 2: So I just like I can't. I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm good to just not even engage on it. So that's how he is all the time. And I so I did catch up. I eventually saw and then I was just getting all raised stuff in my feed.
Speaker 4: People.
Speaker 5: Who's funny because I get a bunch of blue shay stuff now Ever since that, yeah, and no one wants to see the other side of it, and it's like everyone's just yelling out they're the worst fans.
Speaker 3: That Twitter is just full of the worst people in the world. Like you're you log onto the app, you know you're getting the worst stuff you've ever seen you got well, and everyone just thinks they're on a moral high ground compared to each other. Everyone's bad, it's all. No one uses Twitter for good anymore. Like it's just once you start to realize that and you can accept it. It's it was the one tweets like hopefully Chandler ships and tears his a cl Every bad fan is doing that nowadays.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 3: Like it's Twitter and toy twenty six. We know what people are gonna say about each other. And it's absolutely like, I never it's out on that.
Speaker 4: It really is fun. I think you're You're absolutely right.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just everyone's the worst now and and I saw the one meme where it's like the two dogs they're barking to each other to the fence and then when the fence opens, then they just stop. But they to stop fighting because they got no bite for each other. Dude, like like that that's how it always is. You know, it's always nice at the stadium when the when Toronto comes around, it's like.
Speaker 4: What what is this Twitter?
Speaker 5: Like it's not representative at all of of real life.
Speaker 2: It is not. It is. It is the craziest part and yeah, like the raised stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're the Jays are just getting dog walked these two series in a row, so obviously people are gonna complain. And the way the Rays do it is I mean, I mean they're gonna hit like around is gonna hit the home runs too, but like goying to Luca bloop double for for the first round of the game, everyone's gonna freak out.
Speaker 4: Some people have been calling it terrorist ball.
Speaker 3: That's Johnny's one a thing. Yeah, that's that's the issue. Yeah, it's just like I love the way the race play. Gotta just there's not one way to play baseball, Like you can score runs other ways than just hitting home runs. And everyone clowns the Yankees for years on that they're gonna hit the most home runs and then hey, you face some really good arms in the playoffs, then maybe those home runs don't come and you can't manufacture other ways, And like the race, for a team that's not spending a lot of money, speed is gonna be the cheapest asset usually.
Speaker 2: So if you can hit a couple of guys and you.
Speaker 3: Can play that way, like why not doing Chandler Simpson watching him play baseball is a coach's dream, sure, like the hitting much improved defense this year too, Like that's we're figuring some things out at the big league level.
Speaker 2: But put the ball on the ground.
Speaker 3: Any hitting coach would tell Chandler Simpson, never hit the ball in the air.
Speaker 2: You hit the ball in the air.
Speaker 1: We tell them that. We're like, dude, stop hit like like line drives and ground ball like we need like the negative negative launch angles need him.
Speaker 5: To do.
Speaker 3: Any level you'd play at, and you have a hitting coach who's above sixty years old, he'd say, don't ever hit the ball in the air, Like it's not getting one. We all know it's not gonna get out of the park. Maybe we'll luck into one this year, but the chances of that are pretty low. But yeah, I just love when you put pressure on another team and you can just tell, not against the Blue Jays obviously, but you can tell when it just speeds everyone up and it just creates some some chaos. It's it's fun baseball to watch, But yeah, I guess it. Wish it wasn't for those five games.
Speaker 5: I like the one picture of Johnny with Ryan right behind Ryan Bass.
Speaker 1: Why was he on.
Speaker 4: The field I'm so confused.
Speaker 3: So we were we worked, we did a video where we worked the grounds crew for the day.
Speaker 4: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 2: So we were we were sitting.
Speaker 3: They were all kind of standing in the well there and they're like, you guys can go sit down. I was beside him for a bunch of the time, and then yeah, I was just to the left obviously doing all of all of his stuff.
Speaker 2: The cameras were right there.
Speaker 3: But that picture where it cuts to him and he's just behind him is very funny.
Speaker 1: That's an incredible jot. Yeah, Ryan has been He's been fantastic this year, just doing random shit. Like I think yesterday or the day before that, he was up in one of the boxes one of the hotel rooms, yeah, overlooking the field because there was a couple of race fans that had rented out the room. So he did like a whole thing. He had the robe on, he had a glass of wine I guess was poured by them. I think he said he was going to try to go up to the sand tower potentially because I know.
Speaker 5: He wanted to do that hanging over the edge thing, which I would never do. I wouldn't do that. In ten thousand years. But it's cool that that's literally right next to the stadium, you know, it.
Speaker 4: Is it is, it is.
Speaker 2: It is cool.
Speaker 3: That's right down the street for me, and I don't think the weather's that goode right now. So we'll see if he ends up doing that today.
Speaker 1: Well I know that. So earlier in the year when they were in Saint Louis, he went in the middle of the game, or I guess it was at the beginning of the game, but still in the middle of the game, he went up to the top of the gateway arch and had like a live feed of him inside the arch. So I feel like he's going to try to do something like that. But like the whole I mean, he's normally on the sideline, he's normally you know, in next to the dugout whatever it is. But the fact that they caught Johnny right behind him, I mean that is gold, Like like that's the kind of shit that you guys can form for the rest of the year and just using as content like like that's the stuff that that is the good stuff. It really works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And people were taking because we had to change the base that well we didn't have to. We were we were asked to and said yes to it. Obviously we changed the bases, like in the middle of the game. We were on the field and people just took videos of Johnny doing it and just would be making fun of him changing first base.
Speaker 4: So it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredible, that's that's genuinely so funny. Yeah, this is so looking at the I mean the whole Chandler thing because you brought him up, and I want to talk about that, like people genuinely hate Chandler Simpson like like like like the hatred for him and how he plays baseball because everyone is just feast or famine, you know, it's the three true outcome thing, Like people hate him so much? Is the hate I mean from your end? And then Gibby, I want to get your take on it too, Is the hate warranted or no?
Speaker 2: So Jian and I got in a big, oh it's not fight.
Speaker 3: We were on stream when last year he said he's the most unethical baseball player, and I was I said, he's the most ethical baseball player. Like it's just he says different tools than the people you think are ethical, Like all he can do is hit the ball and ground and just be the fastest guy ever, Like he that's his ethical was the wrong term to fight over because one that doesn't matter. Yeah, Like, it's just because it's gil set is different than the players you like to watch. Doesn't mean he's a it's bad to it's bad viewing, it's bad baseball.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's almost good for him, Like, hey, you you're doing this in a whole different way than most other successful players in the league. So I'm I'm a fan of that solid baseball because of the CHAOSI come the Blue Jays don't steal any bases, like they we have a bunch of guys.
Speaker 2: Who just plug it up. And I was like, oh, this is it's really boring.
Speaker 3: And that's why it took them last year to be this high slug team, like really really good driving people in to make them a really good offense.
Speaker 2: Year before, Like.
Speaker 3: They just don't run. So it's like I watched someone manufacture those runs.
Speaker 2: So cool to watch.
Speaker 4: It's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me how what is your thoughts on the on the Chandler Simpson discussion, considering that it seems like the rest of baseball is starting to dog on him more and more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I guess it makes sense.
Speaker 5: I guess it would be the most frustrating player to to play against, you know, just because he's always on base. He and like it seems like you just can't get him out. You can't throw him out on the on the base pass, you can't you can't prevent him from getting to first some games.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then he's literally manufacturing runs, making everybody everyone just has to get into like rush mode when he's on on the base, and like it.
Speaker 4: Just leads to all these errors.
Speaker 5: I mean we saw it in this series with with that run he's slowly manufactured. Uh when when he stole second and stole third, uh, and then the ball went into the outfield and all that. So I mean, it's just it is the most frustrating thing. I don't know about where this what this ethics thing came from. I guess that's that's more from basketball Twitter and that was like that was kind of like their thing against Okay, see it's it's good calling. Okay, see like unethical because that is if.
Speaker 1: You can draw thousand get shots that see hey, if you if that's how you win games, is how you win games. Arsenal is like set piece FC and people think that that's unethical, like, yeah, if you win, who cares?
Speaker 5: But I don't know if the same argument can even be pie the baseball can can a player being unethical like like unless it's like, you know, I hit I hit line drive singles up against the picture every Yes, that would be that would be a little unethical maybe, But I can't. I can't find a reason for for players simply to be unethical.
Speaker 3: But the only thing I could I could think of is the early Gary Sanchez like Mike's and you know, prototype two ten hitter, you're gonna hit thirty bombs? Yeah, is that even unethical too? Like that that's where mine would my mind would take me.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna say, I mean, did Schworever hit like forty and hit like two a couple of years ago?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sick, so sick.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what because my dad grown up, for whatever reason, he always liked Dave Kingman, and Dave Kingman was the same thing feast or famine hit like forty, you know, thirty forty homers a year. Couldn't hit for average for shit, but like that was his thing, and he hit a bunch of homers so yeah, it's not like this has been a thing. You know, this is a.
Speaker 3: New thing to Kyle Schwarver's twenty twenty three one ninety seven average, forty seven home runs.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: That is amazing.
Speaker 1: And the Phillies. I think, what was he making like twenty a year that year? That was worth the twenty.
Speaker 3: Mil Oh yeah, twenty mil for for not even a win h F four.
Speaker 2: That's it's amazing. Man, what a player.
Speaker 3: I think he's got like sixteen this year, yeah, seventeen seventeen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because he hit the one yesterday in Boston. I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: What's the average now to twenty nine?
Speaker 1: Ooh, you don't know Betters in the twos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was two forty eight in twenty twenty four and too forty and twenty five?
Speaker 4: Pretty good? Pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But that's I mean, I'm trying to think of because like Zunino did that the year that he was an All Star in twenty one, I'm trying to think of any other years where like a raised guy has done that. I mean, Jose Siri, well, okay, there's a couple I have in the back now that I'm thinking about this, So the one year that Brett Phillips was like legitimately a usable major league player. I think that was twenty one. He had like a two b war and he hit like two ten or whatever it was or two twenty, but he hit like fifteen bombs that year, so I do remember that. And then Jose Siri did the same thing where he couldn't hit for average for shit and still hit goddamn.
Speaker 4: Could he pimp a home run? Dude? Yeah, lose for that.
Speaker 1: That wasn't ethical, that was ethical ethical? Uh, pimp pimp job off Mason Miller, which, now, thinking in retrospect, the fact that he did that off of probably the best reliever in baseball right now is kind of wild.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, it's shocking.
Speaker 4: It's even in the league anymore. I don't know, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I think he's.
Speaker 4: To Mason Miller. He might have been the last person who touched the Mason Miller ball.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, that was a couple of years ago. But that's kind of accurate.
Speaker 5: Because he's going he's going on like a year a season and a half streak of like no like no earned runs or whatever.
Speaker 1: He's unreal. He is unreal. I mean in the same tone. And now I'm not going to quit Brian Baker to that because Mason Miller is on his own, He's on his own stratosphere. Brian Baker this year has been a stud, like an absolute stud in the back end of the pen for the race.
Speaker 3: And uh, the Jays hate him too, like that's it's kind of the whole thing, like when he because he was a then he went to Baltimore and then he started a bench's clearing brawl up brawl, but bench is clearing against the Jays while he was in Baltimore, and that.
Speaker 2: Would be the closer of the race.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they I don't know, like there's not many JAS players left from those teams, but yeah, just Brian Baker against the J's.
Speaker 2: They don't there's lore, they don't get along.
Speaker 3: And so I thought for sure Brian Baker being the closer was the only reason why it would happen. But I thought if the hitting the other team thing was was real, I thought he would be the perfect candidate to hit one of the J's guys back. But him being if he was pitching, it's a close game, and that's not how that would happen at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, give me what we were thoughts about that, because I know Nick Martinez went on went on WDAE and was talking about how there was a chance he might do something after Irana got hit, and I was like, I was like, like, if Irana hits a home run, then I feel like that's good enough for retaliation, and you know, to him getting hit, like you don't need to hit another guy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean I don't. I don't know. You know, it was, you know, his wildest pitch of the season. I will say that, so it might have been intentional, but I don't really I don't really put too much, you know, emphasis on guys fighting because guys don't put too much emphasis on themselves fighting. I mean, the amount of fights that we've seen in Major League Baseball has just diminished to nothing because these guys, they know, they're like, hey, at the end of the day, I got to get myself paid, and you know, the silliest way for me to get injured, you know, is me fighting some guy or or or meat throwing baseballs at some guy, because then I'm gonna get one of my guys, you know, on a retaliation back. So that that's been very absent from baseball. But the thing is, I also love it when when it does happen, because it's like it's like drama, it's like high school drama, and and it's it's like, I just want to see one more mound charge my life, because you know, I've been watching John Boy's new History of the Mound Charge uh documentary that he's been making or you know, Secret Base over there, and that video is pretty spectacular, and I'd like to see one more mound charge, you know, you know, my life. So if if if I can, if I can entice that in any way by like you know, giving into social media speculation, maybe maybe I will. You know, I want to see some guys fight sometimes, you know, you know, I don't want to see one I want to see one guy just charge a motherfucker on the mound. It would be so funny, dude, one more time, it'd be so great.
Speaker 1: And this is this is John Boyce for people that are not John boy not two separate people, separate people.
Speaker 5: Ever since that happened, that that's been that's been a whirlwind to try to get around.
Speaker 1: Speaking wise, Yeah, so I mean avery, So from your end, I know that the Jays have played the Race twice, so you have that sense of seeing them through those games. Have you, like, what are your overall impressions of this team because I know that, I mean a bunch of people have talked about just like this is unsustainable. Like I know, I mean, I mean from our extent, I don't know how the fuck they're this good. Like I'm still figuring it out because like, I know that they're good, I think, but at the same time, at the same time, I'm like, I mean they're playing what Yeah, that's where it's trying to be put together. That can't happen. But like, from your perspective, how do you view this team because somehow they're many. I mean you already mentioned just them not being like the most glamorate, you know, not the glitz and glamor of some other teams, But like what has in If there's anything that's impressed you about what you've seen from them, whether it be the j Series or any other thing, what has impressed you about this team?
Speaker 3: I think that's what always impresses me about the Race when they're good, is like making this is in quote like scraps work from the the bottom of it, Like I want to put that as nice as possible, but it's like.
Speaker 4: You're not wrong. I mean I have to every year. I have to. It's like, all right, who's ride Valaide.
Speaker 2: Just moved out?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: So it's like you're gonna have really really high end skill with Yondi Junior and Ronda right, Like those three are going to carry the team. I mean you just look at the numbers. They're the softest hitting team of the baseball and if you if you, if you want to look at that over a full season, that's what people are saying. That's not going to be sustainable. And another race from Afar is are these are the pitchers gonna hold up?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Are are they going to be able to do that?
Speaker 3: Because they can win baseball games with the best of them, that's that is no problem, Like I you can you can win small amount of baseball games. I have no faith in this race. Seem to be able to do that, but it's like, hey, you're gonna get carried by the top. Are those bottom guys like Kevin cash Is gonna deploy them in a way where they're gonna try and be the most successful. It's bes he's one of the best in the business for a reason, right and right now he's cooking with absolute gas and it's fun to kind of watch from afar. But hey, it's like, if we're gonna look at this, these Actualoben numbers, if we're gonna look at the eggs of loss here, we're gonna look at how hard they're hitting the ball all the time. It's like, hey, I'm not gonna project that to be like a ninety win team, Like it's it seems like it's going to fall off. But you've put yourself in a position. What was it twenty twenty three as well, when they got out to the really hot start, is you put yourself in a position that you have to play some really bad baseball kind of not to make the playoffs, right, Like, you get off to this hot start and you can run that through the rest of the season. You play five hundred year what twelve gay fifteen games above five hundred, Like, yeah, you can, you can run that, and you're into the playoffs. But that was the year they lost to Cleveland in the playoffs, right where No.
Speaker 1: So so twenty two was the year where they probably had one of the worst teams that has made the playoffs in franchise history, and then they had that long ass game that went fifteen innings, and then yeah, the next year, the year with I guess the only way to stop a team is to just have their best player be caught for something non discretionary stuff. But that was the Texas series where they went in and then the Rangers absolutely destroyed them on their word World Series title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's It's like, my worry is not the regular season rays right, you guys know that as well. They can they can win it big. It's like, hey, when we get these I mean, they've made quick work of the Jay's actual good pitchers as well, So it's not it's like when are those low eggs of velos? Is that style gonna work in a three game series where everything's up in the air, and maybe they're so good that they don't They play a five game series their first playoff series, So, uh, is this gonna work in the long term? I mean, I think they're just gonna be great in the regular season, and I know you guys want all the playoffs success, so it's like, I'm not everyone's gonna be able to say the Yankees are gonna be better.
Speaker 2: We dealt with the same stuff last year.
Speaker 3: The Yankees when they go to the expected win loss and be like, oh my god, we're scoring so many runs. You have course, you're expected win loss is gonna be better than the teams that are not. However, but yeah, I think they're gonna have a great regular season as long as the pitchers say healthy. Shane mcclann keeps doing what he's doing. I mean, you guys are in grace.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's been a reveling I'm so glad. I know on Gibb give me forgive me's sake, and give me's sake only. I'm so glad that Shane is doing well because you can finally wear that jersey with pride.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, dude, it's been. It's just been. It was just I had to.
Speaker 5: I had a jersey up here Avery that was just there for two seasons. I didn't touch it. It was just a raised city connect shamee to Clinton and Jersey, and I'm like, I'm just waiting for that day, Like you know, I kept getting delayed over and over again, but you know, it finally finally surfaced and he.
Speaker 3: Kind of like, sorry, it's kind of like the Eloy jersey that they were hanging up when he got hurt. That's that's what you were doing. So he was just hanging out there.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, man, r I p Eloy. He's still he's still alive. But that baseball career is shot.
Speaker 2: Oh my, he was a Blue Jay. He was playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't he there in spring training this year?
Speaker 2: He played major league games this year.
Speaker 1: The yeah, I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: He only hit singles.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So he's like Chandler Simpson but swollen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was to everyone's like, he got We got to keep Eloy, We got he has a one can't play a position. We can't keep Eloy. We can't have multiple dhs on a roster. It's not gonna work. Same handed bat and just can't play defense. He he opted out. I don't think anyone signed him so far.
Speaker 1: Man, I gotta I gotta fiel for. So we have the last game of the series tonight. I we need to check to see who the Rays are playing over the weekend. And I have no clue who the Jays are playing after this.
Speaker 5: Oh, we're playing Miami La Martin the Fish.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the greatest rivalry in baseball history, the Citrus Series returns. Do the Jays have like because I know that they had that weird thing where they played the Phillies, like really often, do they have like a weird inter league rivalry that like people treat as something that's similar to what the Sitter Series is where it's just like, you know, shits and giggles for fun.
Speaker 3: No, but we play the Phillies twice a year because of that, Like that's the NL rival I guess. So they they play four games, two home or to some I feel like I just messed that up. But they play the Phillies more than anyone else in the NL. Why, I think that's World Series stuff. So they've just continued that on, uh from when they played them then.
Speaker 1: I mean I know that the weren't the Phillies called the Blue Jays back in the day in Philadelphia, like back in like the forties.
Speaker 4: Or something like that.
Speaker 2: I have no idea this is.
Speaker 1: I mean I should know this as someone who is from that area.
Speaker 3: So they play the Phillies two series every year like they're in a like they're an al team.
Speaker 1: Yes, they wear the Blue Jays back during like World War two era.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, like I'm saying six six games, one series at home, one away.
Speaker 1: I still don't understand why that connection because I remember that like as a kid, I was like, why the fuck are they playing like like other than the World Series, Like what's the connection because like it's not like, you know, Ronto and Philly are necessarily close to each other, like they could have picked another team that was closer to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess Detroit's obviously in the AL, so people feel that way about feel that way about Detroit obviously because that's the border of windsor so a bunch of Canadians are Tigers fans, and that Seattle's the same way.
Speaker 2: But those are both AL teams.
Speaker 3: So I don't think I can't think of an NL team like that so far, other than the Phillies one right now.
Speaker 1: Well, the Rays have the best one other than I think it's the I think it's the most enjoyable interleague series because neither fan base cares. And that's an agent like Gibby, Is that how you because that's how I feel about Like I know that we play it up, but like genuinely, no one like no.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no one, no one, Like, no one's like, oh I hate those Marlins so much.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It's it's it doesn't really come across all right, it's like, oh, it's the other team that has a lot of the same problems.
Speaker 1: That's accurate. I mean, I'm not gonna say I wasn't a fan of David Samson when he was like the president of the team because he was kind of a d bag.
Speaker 5: But that was that the guy who's on publatory. Yeah, okay, yeah he was. Yeah, he does talk about that all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like there was a whole thing about like them not wanting to disclose their taxes and like open their books to people, and it wasn't a good vibe. But yeah, I mean, you know, this is a very interesting series coming up with that, Like, is there anything that we're expecting, at least in this last game of the Race Jays series for either team? Like what would be the thing to every starting on the j side, what would be the thing to expect.
Speaker 4: On that end?
Speaker 3: Dylan C's is gonna pitch pretty well probably, and then they're not gonna score many runs. Like that's just it's just how it's going right now. We're gonna we're gonna pitch it. Okay, except for Gosman on Monday, but they said they were he was third base code relaying all his signs. They knew every pitch that was coming, and that's why they they put a.
Speaker 2: Beating on him.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe that would have happen no matter what, but they they got to him good. But I think Dylan C's gonna pitch really well and it's gonna be a struggle to score runs. So let's see, Uh, if Griffin Jacks can stop that?
Speaker 1: Are you going into the jacket? Are you do you like the idea of Jack's being h what's it called stretched out to a start? Because I know that he was a starter back when he was with Minnesota before he moved, But like him getting stretched back out to that, I mean, do you think that that's gonna work.
Speaker 3: It's gonna have to right. How did the one inning thing not really work? He's got this great stuff. I was kind of shocked that it didn't work. Like I thought he could be a natural, like just closer like that could have been the number one guy. If it started to work and stuff's really good, it's gonna have to work.
Speaker 5: It's I think, mean the pictures are already running out, running a little, a little out.
Speaker 1: Yeah on orangs, Yeah they are.
Speaker 4: That is it. I think you're right. I think you're right. It is necessity at this point.
Speaker 1: It's not that it would be nice if it worked, it's that it needs to work.
Speaker 3: I think I think everyone in the organization needs it to work. Yeah, or else you're gonna I guess you can put them back to the bullpen. But there's most values not there right now without things.
Speaker 5: I think I think the Blue Jays have to win this game, like just from like a standpoint, it's like you have to you have to go to another series. Like the next time you see this team, if if you're oh and six against them, that's gonna be the worst feeling in the in the world. I mean one in five isn't much better. But it's like, Okay, we have beaten this team before. Uh so, like something's something's gotta give, and if you're going it like it would just be such a pain to restart the series later and be like, ah, here we go oh and six. We have to we really have to win this this next one. So yeah, I think I think Toronto is just very much looking to put everything into this game.
Speaker 4: Dylan SE's is going to.
Speaker 5: Give him that. In that shot, he's still he's still very good. So I like Dylan Seas a lot, so he was good on it. I kind of hope I kind of hope they win, you know, just just for Blue Jays fans sake, because I mean I've just been like the Twitter has just been blowing up. I mean, I haven't said anything to any any Blue Jays fans because I think the terrorism, even though I said something earlier about it, I think it's kind of right. I think we do have some some devil magic, you know, within within the franchise when it comes to the Blue Jays, that there is some unexplainable quantity quality or whatever to to the Rays in the Blue Jays that it just doesn't make any sense. And I think the next time the Blue Jays playing, it's gonna be it's gonna be at the Trump again.
Speaker 4: So it is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean you guys tried to vex all that thing, right, you guys try to go there when the when when when was down? Yeah yeah, well when the when the insides were exposed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we we were just driving by because around the way Braydenton.
Speaker 2: Maybe does that make sense from from dun.
Speaker 3: Edon, Yeah, I think because they're playing the Pirates and we're just like we're driving past the trup, we might as well just go see what it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, roof was down down, I.
Speaker 1: Mean experience like seeing it, seeing it in that state.
Speaker 3: I was trying to get inside. I was like, we got we gotta get we gotta try and get it.
Speaker 4: We got to get the scoop man. I mean, that's what everyone wanted.
Speaker 3: It was just I mean it's sad, right, Like anyone who's a race and see that, you know, having the roof go Like if that happened at the Rogers Center, everyone be like tough watch and having that.
Speaker 5: That would be that would be you know, because that's a beautiful baseball stadium. That would be like so sad to the entirely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a good it's a good stadium.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The outside's ugly, Oh, inside's nice, inside's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Whenever they did that renovation to like the upper outfield part, it just it's it just looks way better on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was pretty ugly before. I will I will agree with that.
Speaker 1: So I have a question in terms of surreal things, what was and this is specifically spring Treding related. I think we'll get a kick out of it. What was more surreal seeing the trap as it was or visiting the Dollar Tree where the whole Reee Maguire thing went down.
Speaker 3: Oh man, the dollars thing was was special. I just just like you're so, you just drive by the parking lot, like, yeah, this is where he got arrested.
Speaker 2: He just couldn't believe it. Yeah, I'll say, ree Maguire.
Speaker 1: I was kidding. I know that you guys have done face in both and that was and I mean, like stuff like that is so funny to do. I mean, not as much of the chop thing, because you know, natural disaster hitting a stadium causing that much damage, that's not necessarily funny. The whole trying to vex the whole, uh, you know, get rid of the.
Speaker 4: Devilment, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's funny. But yeah, I mean the whole, I mean, the Dollar Tree thing is just fucking nuts that that happened.
Speaker 2: It's everyone agrees it was just nuts that it happened.
Speaker 1: And and then done eating of all places you know they like. No, I don't know how far it was away from the stadium itself, because I know, I mean, I will say I know that the stadium and the spring training complex are separated, but in a general sense, I think that they and I think I might have talked with Elijah about this, but like that whole area and how they've done that with the stadium and the blue and like how Blue Jay spring training is done. I think I've done a fantastic job of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got some some money from the public, I'm pretty sure for that to keep them there, which I'm sure they were fine with.
Speaker 2: So it is cool.
Speaker 4: I think it's.
Speaker 3: Fifteen minutes away maybe park to complex. I always because we went a couple of years and I just assumed that they were all together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you look over left field and it's just a school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's just it's like, okay, so maybe the PDC's not here.
Speaker 2: So that was fun to get to go around.
Speaker 4: It this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fun memory for race fans. The Francisco Mahia what was it the Grand Slam and extras back in I guess that I guess that would have been twenty one, right, because that was because you guys were That was when the Jay's played in three different places because it was done. It was like progressively moving more up north as the year went on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as it should be done, you know, start start the spring warm and just make your way up to Toronto when it's when it's really nice in the summer.
Speaker 1: It makes sense. The last thing that I hadn't give me if you have anything else, Felfree, We already kind of talked about the playoffs stuff, but a are you expecting the Jays to, like, knowing the roster that they have now, are you expecting them to rebound and make the playoffs? And then are you like, at this point with the Rays and what they've done, would you be surprised that they didn't make the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it would have to be a big time collapse.
Speaker 2: Right by the way the.
Speaker 3: All the al is playing, it's like it's kind of in a good spot to lock things up the Jays. Man, I will say yes, because I obviously want them to make the playoffs. But George Springer's back hasn't looked good, Barger, I don't know what he's got going on that he could be lost, and then it's just like a bunch of bunch of the bottom guys just haven't contributed. Flat is in this big slump right now. They have to turn it around or else is just gonna be an absolute waste of a season and just tough to build on any more. Meant him, I think skill wise positionally, like the pitching pitching staffs good. I'm we got Shane Bieber back that he's any sort of himself, that's really really good, I'll say, Yeah, it's just a fight for the third wild card at this point, I don't have.
Speaker 5: It's very it's very possible, just because of how bad the yell is so I mean even the Red Sox only like two games out of out of a the way, that's true, Red Sox coming back a little bits very it would be very easy for for somebody to claim that that wild card spot the way it is right now, Uh, you just have to play you literally have to play five hundred baseball and you can you can maybe get that spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cy go was that Marlins a couple of years ago? They were were they five hundred when they made the playoffs?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's right. They might have been below five hundred.
Speaker 1: No that I think they were like eighty Are you talking about the year, the full season, not the COVID year, right, correct? Yeah, so I think they were like eighty three and seventy oh okay, okay, so they were basically a five hundred team for the most part. Yeah, that was the That was the year when the video of everyone singing Bryce Bryson Stott's walk up song and then him hitting the Grand Slam. That's where that's from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, good year.
Speaker 2: It's a great video though.
Speaker 4: That's great. It is.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a great video. I hope that there's more videos that include just the fan reaction and sound instead of TV stuff, because like, I want to see that happen, Like I want the Ray if the Rays continue on this path again in the playoffs, I want to see something like that, like a pop crowd pop a moment like that at the trop and that'll I think that'll make a lot of people just feel great because they haven't had I mean, Troptober hasn't happened. I mean twenty three I'm not counting because that kind of bullshit, but like twenty one was the last legit one, right.
Speaker 3: Was that the was that the looplow Homer and the Yep, that's the best moment ever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then it just yeah, all these raised days just coming up, Francisco Jordan Luke dude.
Speaker 1: Then and then the series just stopped after that point, they just canceled the game and then the year and then the season ended.
Speaker 4: Nothing else happened, Yeah, nothing else, nothing else happened.
Speaker 1: It would be I just want gave me if you don't have anything. The Rays did take two at three against the Socks. They had that weird brain delay game, which I might be going to Boston this summer, so we'll see what happens to go to that series. Hopefully we can go meet up with a couple of the podcast guys that we've pot on Lansdown guys and the non another Socks podcast guys. Would be cool to see them. And then the Rays keep starving the children of Boston. So good job, good job, guys, keep it going. Uh uh, Gibby, got anything else before we wrap this thing up?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Joe Adell has robbed another Homer.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, dude, Well, I mean I love Joe Odell.
Speaker 1: That's your guy.
Speaker 4: That's my guy.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm sad he's on the angels.
Speaker 4: They never do anything. I'm sad.
Speaker 5: A lot of people are on the angels. Actually I feel I feel bad for them. But uh, I mean, just great stuff from Joe always. You know, he used to not really be good at that running Home one, so now he's just really good at it.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of it's kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: It's worth it. Every he got anything else?
Speaker 3: Nothing, God that Jason went bad tonight got bad.
Speaker 1: I love it all right? What every Thank you so much for coming on. Man, where can people find you at? Specifically? And everything that you guys got going on.
Speaker 3: A kateboard a French Canadian last name so c h E n I e are if people want to find me on everything thing and then keep fourteen podcast if any rate. I mean, I don't know why any race fans would want to listen to that, but it is it.
Speaker 1: Is very entertaining. I will I won't conclude. It's entertaining stuff.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Thank you guys so much for having me again. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah right what Avery, thanks as always, man, really appreciate it. Thanks guys, a big thanks again to Avery for coming on. Be sure to follow what he has going on, and trust me, Gave fourteen is a good podcast. I know that there's been a lot of chaos happening this series between Jays and Rays fans, but they do great work over there, so be sure to follow them and watch that video of them doing the ground screw thing, because you guys saw it literally in the middle of the game, like why was Johnny behind Ryan? There was a reason for it. I knew about it going into it because Avery had DMed me and told me all that stuff. I just think it was very funny that it all kind of happened as is. But they do fantastic work, genuinely fantastic work. So I always love having them on, and I'm sure we'll have him on in the future. But with that being said, that's gonna do things, or that's going to conclude things on this latest episode of Raise the Roof. We appreciate you guys as always for your support and everything that we have going on. If you guys want to follow us on social media, it is Raised the Roof TV and all of our platforms Twitter, slash x, Instagram, Blue Sky, our YouTube channels, Raise the Roof. Be sure to subscribe and turn on this post notification so you guys know when new uploads happen, because we're gonna be uploading our podcast there, interviews, anything that we can get, we'll we'll be uploading that. There a shout out to oh hi everyone. Alex here with a quick word from our sponsor Seek. Sea Geek is your one stop shop for tickets for everything from live theater and concerts to sporting events like raise games. Seakeek uses a color coded scale to show you where the best deals are, with green being good and bread being bad. If you haven't used sea geek before, we have a special deal just for you. Use code raise the Roof. That's raised spelled r a ys at checkout for twenty dollars off your first purchase with seat Geek. Again, that's code raise the Roof for twenty dollars off your first seat Geek purchase. Thanks so much to sea Geek for sponsoring us, and let's get back to this latest episode of Raise the Roof our podcast feed. Continue to support us as you guys have been, be sure to like, subscribe, leave us, or review hopefully a five star review and showed us with your family, friends, anybody knows who's a Raised fan or a baseball fan that wants to add a podcast into their podcast feed. We'd love to be part of it. And shout out to our sponsors, Homage, Sea, Geek in the Clutch, JKS Prince, We got that code raise the roof Our Ays the roof in all caps works for everyone except for Homage, and we have our affiliate link to Homage if you want to use any of use that to get any Rays stuff. Plenty of deals and things like that going on. Be sure to watch out for sales as they happen, but we have our affiliate link posted on our social media panos for you guys to use. With all that being said, thanks so much for listening and as always, Raise Up, Raise Up, baby,