Speaker 1: Mother Knows Death starring Nicole and Jemmy and Maria qk.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Everyone welcome The Mother Knows Death. Well, there has been a lot of shocking news story since our last episode, so we are going to get into some of those today. Of course, we're on Diddy Verdict Watch, so whenever that comes out, we'll be talking about it, but not on today's episode because really nothing is happening yet. We're going to get into the plea deal with Brian Coburger that he is apparently taking this week on his homicide conviction, and we also have a couple freak accidents involving a child that went overboard on a Disney cruise and a woman who got stuck in a clothing donation box. And then we're going to get into one of the most disturbed stories that we've ever heard about children that plan on killing their classmate. Yes, that is true, you heard me correctly. And then we'll finish the episode with a maggot infested body at a funeral home. So let's get started with this shocking Brian Coburger news that came kind of out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: I was in the middle of cooking dinner last night and I just opened Instagram really quick while I was waiting for something to finish off, and then I see Cheryl made this post and was like, I've confirmed with a family member that Coburger has made a plea deal. And I was like, there's just no way, Like, there's just absolutely no ways too, And I just start seeing it filling and filling and filling in on my social media and then I turn on the news and it's on there. I cannot believe he has made a plea deal.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm thinking happened. And obviously, like I have no idea what happens in the system as far as trying cases like this and stuff, but I think that he's just been throwing all this stuff out and trying to see if it would stick. One of them being like, oh, I'm autistic, all of it. I got to diagnose with autism this year, Like you can't put me to the death penalty and all this stuff, and the judge kept on throwing away all of this stuff, and the most recent one that it seems got thrown out was that he was trying to say that there were other people involved with this murder, and the judge was like, yeah, no, we're not hearing any of that stuff because that's whatever reason they said, they're just not hearing it. And that could have been like his final thing that he was trying to throw out and see if he could get a bite on it, and since there was no way to get out of it, this is what he has to do in order to save his own life.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised he took the plea deal. I'm surprised they offered it to him because in my mind, they had a pretty solid case, So why wouldn't you try to go forward with it. Was it tax reasons, like they didn't want to spend the money on it. Was it to spare the family of not having to hear the horrific details. Are we ever going to get those ds with him making this deal.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, But obviously there's going to be a point where the gag order is lifted. So the family especially has a lot of the details. I don't know if they had access to the autopsy report. I'm sure they are, but everybody has been had to keep quiet with all of the details of this case, so a lot of it is public information. I'm sure that a lot of it is going to get released and where there's going to be thousands of episodes talking about it.
Speaker 2: You know, On one hand, I look.
Speaker 1: At it like people who usually get to death penalty, most of them don't even get put to death.
Speaker 2: There's all of these appeals.
Speaker 1: It costs so much money, and that could really drag on for the family as well. Whereas I feel like, right now they're not happy with this. But if it's if if he pleads tomorrow, which he's supposed to plead guilty, which he has to at this point, right because even though he said he was going to technical he doesn't have to, but like, why would he do that?
Speaker 2: Well, I think also tomorrow when they go to the hearing that the judge has to approve it, So I guess there is a possibility that the judge cannot approve it correct and then what happens then? Does it still go forward?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure that that's all ironed out already before they released this, because now he has basically told the world that he's guilty. So if he pulls out of it or gets pulled out of it for any reason, then how are they going to find a jury when now they've told the whole world that he is guilty of doing this. It's just it, like we all know he's guilty, like I've said this from day one, just based on his eyes, like he's one hundred percent guilty. But I do I feel bad for the family. But at the same time, like I know that they were saying, we already know the gruesome details. They possibly have already read the autopsy reports. I'm telling you right now, based upon the little that I know about it, that you never want to hear about your family men, especially your child being butchered alive, which is what happened in these cases. But there's a big difference between reading about the injuries and then seeing what it looks like in photographs. Obviously, in a lot of court cases, the family leaves the room when they show the autopsy pictures. I think that just showing the autopsy pictures alone in court to all of the jurors would make him guilty if there was enough evidence to back that he was the one that did it. Because I'm telling you that it is so gruesome. If you remember from the crime scene photos that there was blood dripping outside of the house, which means to me that there was such a significant amount of blood. I mean, think about all of the layers of a house for it to leak through and be visible like that. No, it's just you have you have dry wall, insulation, the outer wall, the siding, all.
Speaker 2: Of this stuff.
Speaker 1: It's just it was a gruesome seat and the family for sure does not need to see any of that pictures getting leaked perhaps, I mean, like right now, at least if he goes tomorrow and says I'm guilty and promises that there's no appeals and he's in jail forever, the family can heal and move on from this instead of it just getting brought up, Like look at what Lacy Peterson's mom is going through with. First he was given the death penalty, then they took it away, then he was supposed to be life in prison, and now they're trying to fight that her daughter died such a long time ago, and she's still she's an old woman and still dealing with this every single day instead of trying to move on with what life she's got left.
Speaker 2: No, I understand that. I guess there was also confusion with how it was brought up to the family. So when I was watching News Nation last night, one of the reporters was saying that the family was consulted really shortly beforehand about it and everybody was against it, but it wasn't necessarily a consultation, more of a heads up that it was already going down. I think it first came up that it was a possibility on Friday, and then by Sunday night they got word that it was happening, so they barely had time to process it. So I mean, by the time this episode airs, this news hasn't even been out for twenty four hours. So I'm sure that there's a lot more that's going to go down with this, and maybe we'll find out the reason. Maybe the prosecution wasn't one hundred percent certain that they were going to be able to nail it. I just don't know.
Speaker 1: But ultimately, would you want to take the risk of him getting off no, I because that would be worse for the family.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a lot for them to process because in everybody's mind it was such a solid case. But maybe they just came across some discovery that could have put reasonable doubt in the jurors minds and they were like, you know what, let's do this because at least we'll get him. I don't really know what went on behind the scenes right now. Well, what's also really interesting, and we've talked about this on this show, is that there's this whole entire population that believes that he's innocent, including someone who listens to our show and left the comment on one of our YouTube videos saying we were assholes for saying that this guy is guilty. Right, So that might also worry prosecutors as well, because every normal person that's looking at this case is just like, come on, like, how many things do you have to say that are blatantly obvious? I personally didn't need any of those details because I told you he has creepy eyes. But besides that, there's still a population of people, a big population of people online that just don't believe it, and that has to scare prosecutors for sure. Well, of course, I mean, any single thing on the Internet, there's gonna be one side or the other. There's nothing in the world that all people are gonna agree on. There's even people like we would think that with something horrific like pedophilia or rape, but there are people that are into that stuff. So it's unfortunate but this is the world we live in today. This is not gonna sound right the way I'm saying it, But I was looking forward to watching the trial in the sense of seeing how they catch a person seeing all the DNA, seeing all the evidence that led them to him, what they found at the crime scene. I hope we still get that from an investigator perspective, how that all went down in the documents. I'm sure we will at some point, because you're saying the gag order is gonna have to be lifted at some point. Is that going to be like on Wednesday? Or are we gonna be scrambling next week to try to write this dis section for everybody?
Speaker 1: See, this is what pisses me off, though, And this is why the family's pissed off.
Speaker 2: It's Brian Coburger is.
Speaker 1: Still in control of their children and still in control of them. Yes, he's in control of all of it. And that's why the family feels like, I mean, I can't imagine with my children like they're mine. They're my children, right, I can't imagine someone else making decisions in because for them, not me. And it's a feeling of a loss of control for the parents. But it's also a feeling of giving up that control to the person that killed them. They want all of this to come out and in hopes that maybe this will prevent this from ever happening again. You know, so I feel I just feel terrible for them not to mention the fact that no one even called them and told them they got an email with a letter attached. Who knows what the letter attached is because I was hearing that he wrote a letter to the families or something like that, So who knows what that says.
Speaker 2: No freaking way should they send that to them. That is not right. He's on an email on a Sunday night, like he should not.
Speaker 1: Have any access to talk to them directly. Yeah, and no matter how, one hundred percent sure of that. But what I'm saying is that, like it's Sunday night, you're sitting in your house, you're watching TV. I mean, you have to move on, so you're maybe you're having dinner, you're sitting there having ice cream, not that you're like life is ever the same, and then all of a sudden you get this email out of the blue that's just like, oh, this is happening, and it's happening on July second, and you have to be there. And you have to remember, like some of these families don't live around there. They have to they have other kids they have to deal with, they have to travel, they have to get places and just and they have to be there.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is this is a big deal.
Speaker 1: The families have to be there, and it like not to even have any respect to give them at least a week's notice, like to make arrangements. It's just and not to mention all the other times that they had to go there for all of this stuff. The whole thing's kind of been a circus. One messed up thing that I learned today is that after all this, if he does plead guilty and everything's settled, his lawyer, who's a public defender who we're paying for with our tax dollars, is going to make almost a million dollars off of this case.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure they're going to write a book. I'm sure they're going to.
Speaker 1: She's going to write a book. I mean, I don't know what the plea deal is going to involve. What he could talk about, because he's he's like the ultimate he's trying to make himself be like the ultimate crime scene investigator forensic person, right, and he's going to be allowed to do this in jail now that he's going to be able to talk about being not only being a person that's in a PhD program and has degrees in criminology, but from the perspective of a person that committed the crime as well.
Speaker 2: And that shit sells and I don't know, yeah, but he's not. He legally cannot make money off of any.
Speaker 1: Care It's not the money. It's not the money, it's the fame. It's the infamy. It's like he wants to be the next BTK or he wants to be the next Ted Bundy, like the guy that everybody talks about, and he certainly is going to get that over the course of his life.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily have a problem with his attorney writing books and doing interviews off of it, because, I mean, she didn't choose this case. She's a public defender. Everybody has a right to an attorney. It's not like she sought him out. I'm sure she was scared out of her mind having to deal with that crazy eye dude like every day. Like and then you have to think people can't see that she's a public defender and that this case was assigned to her. And I'm sure she's getting death threats every single day. It's not like she's gonna go on to live this amazingly baller life. She's probably gonna live in fear forever. What if he breaks out or something it goes after.
Speaker 1: He's definitely not breaking out. But you know what's crazy? Last night when I posted this on my Instagram stories and just was putting pictures of his crazy eyes, I like, I get the pictures off the news, and I put them and they were on my phone and I have to delete them because he scares the shit out of me. Well, and imagine her like having to visit him. And I know oftentimes the defense lawyers know what happened because they'll say to their client, you need to tell me what happened, and I'm going to try to get you out of it.
Speaker 2: Basically, so he can't. She can't say what he told her attorney client privilege. So what does that Does that end after it's all done? No, I don't think so. I think any thing he told her was in complete confidence, so she could probably talk about the tactic she was gonna go forward and like everything that's happened so far in the process. But I don't think legally she can say what he told her in private.
Speaker 1: I don't really know about that, but all right, so let's we'll get back.
Speaker 2: To this when we hear more stuff.
Speaker 1: Obviously it's it's only what twelve hours later, barely bare barely, right, so so hopefully we'll get more information about that. But we just wanted to talk about it because we've been talking about that case for years here in the Groceryman on mother nos death. All right, So another big story that happened this week was you know, you guys know that we've been talking about this dreaded cruise that we had to go on with with our family and it was okay, it wasn't it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.
Speaker 2: It was just like the whole recap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had the recast episode, but yeah, so then we so so now we feel like we're experts on crew ships because we've actually been on one. And to hear this story about a kid that accidentally went overboard and the dad jumping in after the kid on a Disney cruise is outrageous.
Speaker 2: Do you find that it's bizarre that all these cruise stories are pouring in just as we went on. I feel like we've never had this many so close together. It was kind of like all the airplane stuff clustered together. Yeah, it really is topic.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, all right, we heard about the poop cruise last week, and then we hear about this, and there's been other stories that are coming out too.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 1: Ironic, but we love to talk about it, so let's talk. Let's tell what happened with this Disney cruise.
Speaker 2: So over the weekend on a Disney cruise, passengers were just going about the boat when they heard the emergency code mister mob, which means man overboard. So it turns out that a child fell off of deck four and that her father jumped in right after her. So at first it wasn't really clear what happened and how she fell first. I guess I'll get into they were rescued very quickly, and we'll talk about the statistics with that and everything in a little bit, But I guess at first it was really unclear how she fell in. And then NBC was reporting that some people saw the child on a railing sitting on it so the dad could take a photo of her, and then that's how she went over the edge, which I think everybody could agree is not a good idea, but.
Speaker 1: It's totally possible, yes, on the cruise ship. And we have the picture we posted on Instagram of our whole family.
Speaker 2: We were in.
Speaker 1: Front of a similar thing that we could have sat a child up on and said take a picture. So this is just like that a dad being a dad and not doing a safe practice. But not that anybody deserves this, but clearly this is not a good idea ever, especially like do you remember the bar was like really moist all the time because of the humidity in the air.
Speaker 2: It was like wet and slippery. Well, we're writing up cruise injuries and deaths for the Grosser Room this week and next week, and when I started writing up the man overboard section, I was going to put a picture of Lubert versus you next to the rail wing to show a child, you know, couldn't just accidentally tip over. But you're a tall person. How tall are you? Like five ten? You can just have like five to eight five nine, Yeah, you could just flip right over. I mean, I'm a surety. So I don't think I buy possibility of it, but I could also see it happening. And I said on last episode, I was extremely critical of falling off the boats, but now I see how it's pretty easy, especially well, not in this case, but I could see in other cases when alcohol is involved in your drug and you're not paying attention, or a you know, a kid just trying to take a cool picture and she just slipped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just and obviously it's a Disney cruise, so it's geared towards parents and children, and every parent is just like got to know what happened and how this happened. But it doesn't seem at this time that it was a problem with the boat itself. It's just more you like, we were talking all about the ship and just how easily it is for people to get over the other side of the bars, and you just have to you can't watch the whole boat at all times, and you just have to assume that people are not going to do dumb shit, and people do dumb shit, and this is a dumb thing. And luckily, like what a story to tell your family growing up after surviving something like this. I was showing Gabe the video.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, my husband is he's on the New Jersey Task Force and he does swift water training because he goes to all of these hurricanes and rescues people in water situations. Not the ocean ever, but similar with like North Carolina and Ashville and just very fast, rapid rising waters. And he was just looking at the condition of the water and the boat, how it was rocking, and he's like, it is actually amazing that this father was able to tread this water for twenty minutes with a child. Like he's just because Gabees just like I obviously would have jumped in too. I wouldn't even have thought twice about it. But he's just like, that's not easy to do and it's amazing that they got to them with only twenty minutes, but that he was able to do it because it's hard to do with yourself because you tie her out, But think about trying to hold a child up as well.
Speaker 2: That doesn't have the strength to do that. No, And in the post next week, I'm going to talk about this guy who fell in the Gulf and they he was treading water for twenty hours and survived. They got him well I'll get more into that, but surviving man overboard is not likely in most cases. So there's this data from two thousand and nine to twenty nineteen from Cruise Lines International Association where they reported that there was two hundred and twelve cases of people falling overboard, which is about nineteen incidents per year. So of those two hundred and twelve people, only forty eight people survived, which is not a lot, so there's way less. It's way less than half, so it's not good. Yeah, they're extremely lucky that they survived. I mean, the boat stopped immediately. What they tell you to do if they see you is that or if you see somebody overboard, is you need to immediately alert staff. If you see them and you're near one of the life buoys that's on the boat, throw it overboard because anything that could help them float is helpful. And then they're gonnak. The boat's gonna alert the coast guard. The boat's gonna stop and try to deploy rescue boats, and then, depending on the situation, they're gonna look with the coast guard or they can in this case get the people with their own rescue boat very quickly, and then they do it until they either find the person or they determine their lost So it's kind of nuts, it is.
Speaker 1: And and a lot of the witnesses on the boat too, I mean, when you're in the ocean, it's just such a it's such an amazing thing to just see how it just goes on forever and it's just so large, and it's just it doesn't end right. But the people were saying that they were so surprised that this dad and his child looked like like specs in the ocean, Like you couldn't even tell it was a person. It was so small just by looking down, just because the ocean is so large. So kudos to all involved. Did Disney people really seemed like they were trained and ready for something like this to happen.
Speaker 2: And you don't want to have to go on.
Speaker 1: A cruise ship that like all of the decks have plexiglass on them because they're scared somebody is going to do that again. So hopefully, I don't know. I'm sure there's signs everywhere that say not to go up there, but like humans are humans, and this is just gonna forever happen.
Speaker 2: This kind of stuff. We'll also get into a case where the plexiglass literally didn't matter either, because people just don't follow the rules. Sometimes it's good to be a rule.
Speaker 1: Follower, guys, sometimes you know best.
Speaker 2: All right. So last week in Florida, police got a call that someone was stuck inside of a clothing donation box. But when they got there, they found a dead woman inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this woman was it was a nurse I believe, or teacher.
Speaker 2: Was a nurse or a teacher. A teacher came across a person that looked like they were stuck in the donation box.
Speaker 1: But so it was six o'clock. It was like six o'clock in the morning. She was probably on her way to do something. And just you know, we all have these trash bags in our trunk full of clothes to put in the donation box that usually sit in our trunk for like six months before we're like, oh, there's one, let's drop it off. And there's a pretty pink one, let me stick it in there. So she goes up to there and sees a person sticking out. I mean, that's shocking, right, she'd obviously she didn't examine them to see if anything was going on, but the woman was clearly dead here they find out that she was homeless. They think that possibly they don't know exactly what happened, but they think that it could possibly be a positional asphyxia, so that's when your body is bent in such a way that you're not able to have oxygen exchange anymore. And they think that that happened because she was probably going in the box trying to find stuff and get stuff out, like closed. So that's really sad and terrible that anybody would die in that way.
Speaker 2: God, and I just have to imagine it's so hot down there too, and if you get stuck in there, you're just like trapped in that heat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you're trapped bet in half like that and you can't expand your chest for respiration, that's terrible. But also just the lack of oxygen in general within that box wouldn't be great either, So just the combination of all of it is terrible. And I guess we'll maybe we'll hear more if we probably won't hear anything unless it was like, oh, she was murdered and stuffed in the box, But just on first examination, they think that that's what happened.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by the Grosserom.
Speaker 1: Like we said this week and next week's high profile death, this section are all about injuries on cruise ships and deaths and all sorts of diseases you could pick up, including parasitic infections, which is just the worst thing ever that could happen to people.
Speaker 2: We also have every.
Speaker 1: Month in the Grosser Room, we have a monthly giveaway where we give away yearly memberships merch from our store, and we give a two hundred dollars gift card to a member every month too. So if you want to just join and check it out just for a month and see if you like it, which you will love it. You could also enter for a chance to win a year membership.
Speaker 2: Yeah, head over to the grossroom dot com now to sign up.
Speaker 1: All right, So this is another news story that came out recently about kids who were seriously planning to kill another child.
Speaker 2: So four fifth grade girls aged ten to eleven, which also surprised me that it was girls allegedly plotted to kill a classmate by stabbing him in the school bathroom and staging it to look like a suicide, and they were going to put a forged suicide note out at reesis.
Speaker 1: So the whole entire plan I guess was overheard by kids who told their parents who called the school, But it was it was a very intricate plan that included one child luring the kid into the bathroom, one child stabbing the kid, one child looking out like it's just it's absolutely crazy. They they they actually said that they were planning on using gloves so they didn't leave fingerprints on the weapon.
Speaker 2: Crazy that they're so young and they have these assigned roles basically like this was that mapped out?
Speaker 1: Well, they get they're getting it from somewhere, right, I mean kids, kids do not come up with this shit on their own.
Speaker 2: I don't know because when they so, they searched them and figured out the plan, and then when the school talked to them, they said three of the girls showed remorse, but one of them thought it was funny and was smiling. So what I assume that was the mastermind of the plan, because that's not normal behavior for a young girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it's hard when when girls are in I mean, I have a child that's in fifth grade who's a girl. I can't even imagine something like this going down but you see with different circumstances that kids bring up an idea and then their other friends go along with it because kids don't want to go against what they think, especially with the cool kids saying or whatever. It's just it's so it's so shocking to me. But this is something that all parents that are that are my age or younger, that have children that are growing up right now have to deal with that that we didn't have to deal with when we were kids. And it's because of social media and just the access to things that they have. They don't they know about things that they shouldn't know about. When we were kids, it was like, okay, we would maybe stumble across TV shows or something and hear about cases or see it in the newspaper. But it's just different now because of YouTube and these short videos and these you know, true crime is a huge thing, and when the kids are watching YouTube, that stuff is not filtered out to them and you could say, oh, there's YouTube kids and stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just like.
Speaker 1: Listen, no ten to fifteen year old wants to watch YouTube kids. It's a bunch of cocoa melon videos and shit. They want to see things that are interesting to them, and unfortunately, it's like you have YouTube kids, which is like Barney videos, and then the full world wide web that with access to everything, there's no in between.
Speaker 2: Well, even when we post these videos on our YouTube channel, one of the questions that's a mandatory prompt before you publish, is this video for kids? They'll give a shit. Yeah, but that's what ideos all the time that my kids. This is what I'm saying. If I click yes, it is for kids, is there a person manually reviewing it or does it just go live for children until it's reported otherwise.
Speaker 1: I have several children come to my house and say that our reels show up in their feed.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not in the kids because I've never marked it as safe for kids. Exactly.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm saying, though, Like that doesn't even matter at all. And listen, there's thousands of articles and stories from parents that'll just be like, Oh, I was sitting there watching YouTube with my kid and this video came up, and this video came up, and it's just like, the only way to prevent it is to not let your kid go on it. And I don't know if I don't know if that's actually practical or if it's a good idea to withhold things like that from them and not teach them how to navigate it because it is the world that we live in.
Speaker 2: Well, this really reminds me of the slender Man case, where I think this was the first time we really saw this horrible impact on children just having free reign of the inner and going on creepy pasta and seeing this mythical creature that was saying it was okay to kill right, And they ended up stabbing that girl and thankfully she survived. I mean, what if they executed this plan. I'm kind of bothered that they were. I mean, I know they're little kids, but they were only charged with misdemeanors and their suspended pending expulsion. But like, is this the only trouble they're getting in? Do they have to go to mandated therapy? This is really concerning behavior for little kids, It really it is.
Speaker 1: And you know what, though, like their brains are not formed even a little bit. It's just like you can't, you can't. They're just they're they're literally like repeating something that they think sounded cool. I just don't think I mean, I don't know, I'm not a psychologist and stuff, and I'm sure people like Brian Coberger were screwed up their whole life, and we're you know, the first sign of someone camping out as a sociopath doesn't happen when they're in their twenties or thirties, right, But it has to start somewhere, And maybe one of the children that were not remorseful has something going on that might come out worse later when they're older. But just a lot of it is just like I'm not one hundred percent sure. It's the same thing as explaining to my kids about getting hit by a car. They don't really understand what happens when you.
Speaker 2: Get hit by a car.
Speaker 1: They think it's like a ball and it's going to bounce off and it'll like hurt, like when you fall off your bike. They just don't understand that, like your body's gonna get smeared along the sidewalk and do you know what I'm saying, Like they just they don't know. And that's why kids get hurt all the time doing dumb shit because they just don't really understand the full ramification of things. And kids just do other stuff all the time and get in trouble because they just really don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, another point I'm wanted to bring up was the of course, the question is why were they planning to kill this boy and they're saying it's because he cheated in a relationship. Why are so many people like this is a problem I've noticed lately. It's just so many people are like talking about little kids like, oh, they have a boyfriend, they have a girlfriend, Like stop it their kids.
Speaker 1: I understand that, but like that's I mean even when when I was in school in the eighties, it was like it started in like third grade, like oh, he has a crush on you, and this and that, like kids, kids are just gonna be kids, and they like this is when all their hormones are kicking in and stuff. And I noticed this with with my ten year old, that there's a lot of drama associated with the like change between being a child and then being a teenager.
Speaker 2: And with all of the.
Speaker 1: Girls and the boys too that because they just don't know what these feelings they're experiencing and things like that. And I think that there's a certain part of that. You could look at movies from the fifties that display this cute little relationlationships between children.
Speaker 2: But does that make it right? I mean, the girls even it's not.
Speaker 1: Real, like it's just real though, okay that he likes this person and likes this pi, but.
Speaker 2: It's causing out real drama. Like the girls come home from school when they're giving us their daily drama onload, that's like childhood nonsense that we have to listen to. They'll be like so and so got married to so and so, but he wants to marry so and so. And I'm like, why is this causing real drama in your life over these mythical relationships?
Speaker 1: This is the thing when you're a parent, there's Listen. If I had a choice, I'd be like, my kids aren't dating until they're twenty five years old, really, because their brains will be more developed, they'll be able to handle it more, they won't get their heart broken as much.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: I want them to be like full established women before they start dating, right, But like, reality is what reality is, and you need to teach them how to navigate what's happening in reality. Like listen, if there's every single parent of kids that are in these grades can talk about little love stories that their kids have, and nobody's talking about murdering a child. So it's like this is just like a weird, one off thing and no, I or maybe not one off, but super rare, And.
Speaker 2: I agree with that. It just made me want to make a topic that it's a behavior. I've noticed a lot where people talk about little kids having active boyfriend and girlfriends. Yeah, I mean, I think it's bizarre.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't push it for sure, because parents could push anything on their kids and have it be okay, right. I don't sit there and be like, oh, so hoo, do you think it's hot.
Speaker 2: In your class? And this?
Speaker 1: You know, like I'm not. But I also don't want to be that parent that's like you're not allowed to date because all kids do is do that shit behind your back, like if you're if you're if you were like a slimy kid, like I was, like you would just my mom said not to watch MTV, So what did I do? I watched MTV all day at my friend's house. Like it's the same shit with YouTube, like you can't if you tell them that they can't have it. Ever, it's more about like monitoring a little bit more like my approach has just let them on it a little bit. They only could be on it X amount of hours a day instead of free range of trying to be in the middle a little bit.
Speaker 2: But those couple.
Speaker 1: Hours that they're on it, trust me, they're saying shit that I don't want them to see.
Speaker 2: You know, that's inevitable. Yeah, And I think if you have a middle ground, like you're saying, give them a little exposure, like you let them live your life, but they also have an understanding that that's not acceptable behavior, that's like what you have to do. Because I had a friend growing up that's parents were like, never let her do anything, they never let her leave, and then the second she got older, she went crazy. So like, you have that happen on one end, or you have your kids, who are you know, eight years old having TikTok on another end. So I think the middle ground is where we need to meet. I just wanted to take that as a time to talk about how I noticed this is a trending thing lately. All right, let's move on to our last story. So back in twenty twenty two, a twenty four year old died in a car accident, and when his family attended his viewing. A week later, his body was covered in maggots at the funeral home. So obviously this is not something that's normal.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's not, and especially in a case like this, So this is something that could happen if you ever hear like, oh, they found a body in the river or something like that, Well that person has been dead for a while maybe, and that would be a reason why you would see the body can decompose, and there's oftentimes that funeral homes get decomposed bodies, to which they will say to the family like, we highly, highly highly advise that you do not have an open casket. And in fact, some funeral homes will say we're not doing an open casket because they can't make the person not look green and bloated anymore and take away all of the things that are happening when a person decomposes. And once decomposition starts happening, you could still slow it down with embombing and stuff, but like it's already in motion, so it's just going to continue to start happening. So in this case, it's very weird because and that's why I was really specifical on looking at the lawsuit and seeing the times the guy died in a car accident, which means that and according to the lawsuit too, he died on this day and they called the funeral home the day the guy died. So if someone dies drops dead, however they die, and they go to the funeral home that day, their body should automatically be put into refrigeration or should be embombed immediately. And if that's not happening, then the person's going to start decomposing. And that's what happened in this case. I don't know where the lapse of time was, but there was a whole entire seven days before the person died and the viewing happened. And in those seven days, in order to decompose to the point where there's maggot activity, that the body was clearly not in proper refrigeration and not embombed in a timely fashion. Because even if you put the body person dies in a car accident, you put them in the refrigerator, they're not going to develop maggots in those in seven days. It's not going to happen. So the only way that it happened was that the person wasn't put into refrigeration and I mean, think about the shock of going to your loved one who died tragically in a car accident, so an unexpected death, and then going to the funeral and seeing maggots come out of their nose and their ears, Like, that's so disturbing. They should one hundred percent sue this funeral home for that.
Speaker 2: Well, then, according to the family, somebody had screamed when they saw the guy in the casket, and then they were like, stop making a scene the funeral home. Okay, that's an incredibly disturbing thing to see.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine it. Do you think that the person at the funeral home thought that. I mean, listen, no one at the funeral home should ever be telling a family not to cause a scene for anything, because.
Speaker 2: People grieve in different ways.
Speaker 1: They grieve in different ways, and they have very Sometimes people have a very emotional response to seeing, you know, their kid dead in a casket, right, Like, so even if she was just screaming just because she was upset, you should never be telling a person when you're the employee, to like not cause a scene. That's weird, Yeah, because this is not the first time somebody screamed at a funeral home. I mean, it's not like a ninety five year old man that lived a fulfilling life and he died peacefully in his sleep. This is a person in their twenties that died tragically already, and that could be a horrific site in itself, seeing a properly embalmed person laying in a casket, and then on top of it, you see your loved one with bugs crawling all over their face. It's disgusting. Yeah, So the I think it was the mother in the lawsuit did mention that when she went to the viewing that the room seemed to be very warm, which what I mean really it shouldn't. It shouldn't ever be, even if the body has been properly refrigerated and embombed. But if it was, the maggots don't happen right away, Like a fly has to first land on the dead tissue, which they're attracted to because of the decomposition, and then the eggs have to hatch. It's a process. It's not something that just happened five minutes prior to that viewing. So we've heard cases like this before of where people are not put in a proper refrigeration and that's what happens. I actually had an autopsy once of the only pregnant person autopsy I did, and the woman had died at a hospital in Philadelphia, and we were doing the autopsia at another hospital in Philadelphia, and there was a time where she left the one hospital and went to the funeral home and was there for twelve hours. But it was in the middle of the dead hot summer heat wave in Philadelphia, and by the time she got to us, she was decomposed. And I'm just like, if she died at the hospit bittle went to the funeral home, went in the fridge, and then came to us and went and went in our fridge. There's absolutely no way that she was green and bloated at that point. So they did not put her in refrigeration, which was a problem for our autopsy findings, honestly.
Speaker 2: And that's like a whole other story.
Speaker 1: But we've had stories on Mother Knows Death of people not properly putting bodies into the refrigerator at a funeral home.
Speaker 2: And that's what happens. All right, Let's move on to questions of the day. Every Friday at the at Mother Knows Death, Instagram account, You guys can head to our story and ask whatever you want. Can you explain how amniotic fluid embolism is a diagnosis of exclusion? Is there no clear sign that was the cause of death? So that's a really interesting thing. We wrote about this.
Speaker 1: We did a celebrity death this section on nurse Hallie that was at our New Grads. I'm sure lots of you who are in the medical field were following her on her social media and this was her cause of death, So we did that pretty recently. But it's a very so an amniotic embolism is when somehow the fetal tissue gets into the maternal circulation and causes a reaction and causes a mother to die shortly after either during childbirth shortly after childbirth, And it's a very rare thing that happens, but it happens, and it cannot really be predicted. There's some risk factors that you should take into consideration, but it's just something that kind of has to be dealt with if it happens. So back in the day, they would say that an amniotic fluid embolism could only be diagnosed at autopsy and it would be at looking at lung tissue under the microscope, and there you would see fetal cells within the maternal circulation. But that's not really the case anymore to say one hundred percent that that's an amniotic embolism, because there have been cases where they've done tissue, they've done autopsies, and they've seen tissue that they could prove that there are fetal cells circulating in the maternal circulation of people who have absolutely no complications with childbirth. So that in itself is okay, yes, maybe they had this, but it doesn't prove one hundred percent that that's what killed them. It's called an amnionic fluid embolism, and the word embolism means that cells are tissue or whatever occurs in one part of the body and it travels to another part of the body.
Speaker 2: They're starting to think that.
Speaker 1: That is that an amniotic fluid embolism probably isn't the proper terminology, and they're thinking that it has to do with those cells getting into the maternal circulation, but the body actually having like an allergic reaction to those cells that only happens in some people, and they're not really sure why that happens. But the presentation is more of what would happen if a person has a severe and a flow reaction, like if they got stung by a bee or something, rather than symptoms that you would see with a true embolism. So when they say it's exclusionary, it means that they looked at all of the other things that it could have been and they said, Okay, it definitely can't be this. And at autopsy we see pulmonary edema, and we see the cells in the maternal circulation, and we see hemorrhage.
Speaker 2: Then with all that they could.
Speaker 1: Say, Okay, it's it was an amniotic embolism was the cause of death.
Speaker 2: All right, two Nicole, what's with parasites and cleanses? Did you ever find parasites during an autops.
Speaker 1: So I cannot stand that shit like parasites are I will say this in this country, it is rare to get parasites. When you see it in this country a lot of times, it's like it really is when people travel. I mean you see them from time to time. But like I've seen a couple parasitic effects working in a large city hospital for years, and the only time I saw it was in cytology specimens that would come down before I was even a PA. I've never seen it in an autopsy ever, that people that like all of these videos are claiming that there's these parasite cleanses and stuff. It's just it's just not true. And what are these people's backgrounds that are even showing this, Like it's.
Speaker 2: Not it's like fake wellness influencers who eat clean and do parasite cleanses but then put all this botox and filler in their face.
Speaker 1: But some of them are showing pictures of the shit that they say is coming out, and it's like, that's not even what a parasite looks like. It looks like it's like sloughed off mucosa or the lining of the bow in some cases. But like when you see parasitic worms, they look like worms. They don't look like a little stringy things or whatever. And like, personally, I just think that, and like any body that I've ever talked to all thinks that this is just complete bullshit. Now I'll tell you in the grossroom, I have some nasty, nasty cases of parasitic infections, and all of them really, I would say probably ninety nine percent of these cases are all from other countries where people where there's not plumbing, like things like that, where people are shitting out in public and then they're they're eating from the soil with the shit in it, and they're just transferring disease all over the place. It's just it's just not happening where there's plumbing and there's healthcare and everything. It's just not happening as often. Not to say that it can't, because it does certainly happen in America, but like the average person that's just going about their day and stuff is not having a parasitic infection. Listen, you would know if you add a parasitic infection.
Speaker 2: These people getting these capsules that have the parasites in them to take them from like strange websites on the internet. What the what are you talk These influencers are doing these parasitic cleanses. Where are they getting them from? Well, it's just I don't even know.
Speaker 1: It's just like some kind of herbs and stuff that they're saying or cleansing the parasites.
Speaker 2: There's a whole other thing.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if that's what you're talking about, that people actually take parasites to lose weight.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I'm talking about people who are taking capsules with parasites in them, because that's that's like it's different to your health.
Speaker 1: They're losing weight. No, that's that's like a whole different thing. The cleanse is like telling people if you take this herbal supplement which probably has like center or something in it that caused you know that that they give you when whenever you need to like a laxative effect. Right, It'll like you could take a laxative and cleanse yourself out if you really want to write, if you really think that you have parasites and stuff, you could do that. But these ones are labeled parasite cleansed, but like it doesn't have anything in it that's different than anything else. But sometimes people take supplements that are like tapeworm to lose weight. You could and you could get them on the internet somewhere.
Speaker 2: Like No, that's what I was thinking this whole time you're talking about was now taking there's there's people The cleanse is to just like you thinking that that, like you listening to these influencers that all have parasites and if you take this, you'll get rid of your parasites too, and then the other one is intentionally ingesting parasites so you could lose weight. No, that's what I'm talking about with the influencers. Influencers is that they're pushing taking parasites to cleanse their body.
Speaker 1: I know, I know there's some of them that are doing that too, but that's not what the typical parasite cleanse is considered. Like there's influencers that take these parasite cleanses and show piece like like pictures of their ship and say like, look at all these worms that were inside of me, and you're like, that's not worms, but okay, Like, but I mean they go viral and people it's it's a big business. But I mean you do you get get it if you want, but like it's you don't need to go take a doll Collex or something.
Speaker 2: All right, last question is for me, given everything we know, were you a MySpace scene queen or more emo? And did you go to warp Tour. I wanted to be a scene queen, but I was too ugly, so I just stop. I'm joking. I was obsessed with Audrey, Kitchen, Reckillery, Jack Vanik, all of them. I had all their bracelets. Of course I went to Warp Tour because that's where I had to buy the bracelets. I had these amazing Jeffree Star ones. I had the coolest Jeffrey Star hoodie ever. Yeah, of course I went to Warp Tour. It's my first concert ever. You brought me for the first time.
Speaker 1: When I was eleven, and it just kind of I think that, like since I was with Maria during this whole phase, which was terrible, by the way, I think the scene Queen, like any kind of these looks that you commit to are a lot of work. Like do you ever watch a person that's like there's all these videos that showed now like a really goth person that they get a makeover and it makes them look like, you know, they have like aenormy yeah, like enormy Right. When I look at these in particular, like a goth person like that or something, I'm like, that's a lot of maintenance every day, and and man, Maria, well, I am a fairly low maintenance person as far as like I don't go get my hair done all the time.
Speaker 2: I get it cut once a year.
Speaker 1: I don't dye my hair, like I don't wear makeup if I don't have to. The only maintenance I do is like getting my nails done every three weeks, right, Like I don't want to get dressed up every day when you're a seeing queen. It was just like, wasn't it, Like the really hot pink hair and the crazy eyeliner and the crazy.
Speaker 2: Makeup and the full outfit.
Speaker 1: It's just like a lot every day to commit to something like that.
Speaker 2: It was like extremely teased out hair with like long extensions called coon tails where you would like dyet to look like raccoon, and then you had to wear the crazy wing the eyeliner and bows and hello kitty barets. Like it was.
Speaker 1: There was lots of the race like it's just like too much to do every day, but you need to go to school, and like I know a lot of people like look at people and there's all sorts of things. There's like the the emo seeing queens and the goth people.
Speaker 2: There's like whole groups of people.
Speaker 1: But I always look at those people and I'm like, damn, like that, that's like dedication. It's a lot of work to do that every single day, and I just don't, like I'm just too lazy, Like I just want to walk around and like flip flops and a T shirt every day and like get dressed up on occasion.
Speaker 2: And I feel like.
Speaker 1: Maria was the same way. Like I'm just kind of like you want to wake up an hour and a half before school every day to like do your hair and makeup so you could like look like this every day.
Speaker 2: It's just a lot. Listen. I tried. It just wasn't for me. I was obsessed with the look. It just wasn't happening. I eventually settled on having you dye strips of red in my hair, and then I wore my Chemical Romance t shirts and kind of settled it there. But I don't know if I've talked about this. I had this like pivotal point in my childhood where you were like you could get this build a bear, or you could get this T shirt that says I love boys who wear eyeliner, And that's what I was, like, it's like growing up today or what it was from touring. I'll never forget that day. It was like so funny, it's so stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but that was like one hundred percent of the scene of like what you were into. And I just I don't know, it's just like far from what I was into. But Maria was full on in it, and I tried to support her in it by taking her to like, well.
Speaker 2: You took me to Warp Tour in two thousand and six, which was my first concert ever, and that's like where I got introduced. I was already into a lot of the music at that point, but that's where I got introduced to, like Thursday, the casualties, like a bunch of SKA bands and stuff. So that was a really cool experience, and then I went every year throughout my teens. Basically, my dream when I was a teenager was to be a photographer on the Warp Tour, which, upon reflection and my husband having worked at a music venue, would have been a horrible idea because young girls like me get preyed on by these predators and these bands, so it probably would have been a horrible choice, but it worked out. I would have liked it at the time, That's what I said, because I'll be talking about a band I like, and Ricky's like, that guy's a scumbag. He was banging sixteen year olds in the back of the venue I worked at, and I'm like, yeah, but I would have thought that was the coolest.
Speaker 1: I would have been one of them, and that would that would have been amazing.
Speaker 2: I would have thought I was special exactly. So upon reflection, it's probably better it didn't work out that way. But that was most of my youths, shooting shows every single weekend, and Warped Tour was definitely a large part of it. All right, Well, thank you guys so much. Don't forget to buy tickets for our Atlanta meet and greet and the Crime and Wine. And did you say that you were going, because I know, I don't think I even said I was going. Originally I didn't think I could go to Atlanta, but just in the last week or two, I am now going, So I will also be there at the meet and greet in the Crime and Wine. So tickets for that you could buy in the description of this episode in the grocery or on our social media head over to Apple or Spotify. Please leave us a nice review or subscribe to our YouTube channel, and if you have a story for us, please submit it to stories at Mothernosdeath dot com.
Speaker 1: Well, don't forget to mention that we're gonna have books for sale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have books for sale that I'll sign for you, and maybe some special vouchers for the gross room. Sophie, We'll say we'll see you guys soon. Saya.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Mother Nos Death. As a reminder, my training is as a pathologist's assistant. I have a master's level education and specialize in anatomy and pathology education. I am not a doctor and I have not diagnosed or treated anyone dead or alive without the assistance of a licensed medical doctor. This show, my website, and social media accounts are designed to educate and inform people based on my experience working in pathology, so they can make healthier decisions regarding their life and well being. Always remember that science is changing every day, and the opinions expressed in this episode are based on my knowledge of those subjects at the time of publication. If you are having a medical problem, have a medical question, or having a medical emergency, please contact your physician or visit an urgent care center, emergency room or hospital. Please rate, review, and subscribe to Mother Knows Death on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere you get podcasts. Thanks