Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Tether launching a US regulated stable coin in partnership with Canter Fitzgerald and Anchorage Digital. The token known as USAT will be issued by Anchorage in compliance with the Genius Act. Let's bring in the Tether CEO Paolo Ardolino and Bo Hines, former White House crypto official who now leads Tether's USA USAT. Pallo, I want to start with you because it raises the question to me about the difference between USAT and USDT. Is the launch of us AT basically saying that USDT is not compliant under the Genius Act.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: So we have expressly said a few times now that also USDT will be compliant with the Genius Act under the Foreign Issuer Protocol and there is a pathway in the GENIUSOC to make happen, and that's what that is focusing on. But at the same time, we felt the need to create a domestic stable coin in United States that is focusing on the actual needs of the US market. It is a very efficient market compared to all the emerging market developing countries, where USDIT is leading the way into financial inclusion and growth and banking. The bank or the under bed. But while in the United States the landscape is different. There are a lot of many competitors in the financial and efficient in that sector. So USAT is going to be specifically designed for the growth of the United States and within the United States.
Speaker 4: So well, let me ask you, then, who exactly is USAT targeting? What kind of customers are you going after with this particular stable coin, and why would they need it? What's the pitch?
Speaker 5: Well, look, you know, our payment rails in the United States have been archaic for quite some time.
Speaker 2: I liken it to technology development.
Speaker 5: The way we communicate, the ways in which we move money has really remained stagnant, and so obviously with Genius passing into law and the adoption of stable coins, I think this revolutionizes our financial system and truly a way that we've never seen before. It makes payments more cost effective, it gives us instant settlement times, It allows us to move money overseas in a much more expraditious way. So you know, we're looking at a completely new world. I think the customers that we're looking to serve are both global financial institutions that obviously have deep ties to US capital markets, along with consumers that have been under banked or underserved for quite some time and don't want to pay, you know, insane amounts for transaction fees when they're just moving money to friends and family.
Speaker 1: So, Palla, how do you effectively out compete USDC here from circle? How is your strategy different from theirs? Because if we think about these, I mean you essentially have to convince us that these aren't commodities. And I don't mean commodities in the way that they're classified by regulators. I mean commodities in the way that they're not necessarily different from one another.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a very good point, but I think the only thing that matters, or well the most important strategy here to compete is distribution that are built over the last eleven years now the biggest distribution network physical and digital, probably in the history of humanity. You are not saying that likely. So we have hundreds of thousands of physical distribution places in all the emerging market development countries. We have partnered with Ramble and invested in Ramble as a huge distribution channel within the United States with like.
Speaker 2: Sixty million active users per month.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have our ability and we have partnered, we have invested, so we don't have like our competitors to rent out the distribution channels. We own them, we partner with them, and so we can leverage to maximize the profitability, but also reinvest in our own ecosystem to make it wider, to make it more efficient and cost effective for every single user.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing that's really interesting I think that's happened over the last few months is the idea that stable coins is no longer just the purview of companies that focus on digital assets. And indeed there's reporting that indicates companies such as retailers or even payments firms are interested in adopting this technology. Can you share with us any conversations that you've had with executives and other companies that are interested in this digital asset.
Speaker 5: Well, you're seeing this with the larger banks in the United States as well. People are talking about issuing their own stable coin. You know, I think they're going to pivot. I think that many of these firms are just a little bit out over their skis in terms of understanding the technological needs that must be there.
Speaker 2: In order for the infrastructure to work properly. And that's something that we have at tether.
Speaker 5: We have the best technology, we have the distribution channels as Palo is described.
Speaker 2: I think that we'll have many partners in this space.
Speaker 5: We'll collaborate with many of the traditional financial institutions in the United States to build out the best product for their consumers. I think that we will be adopted far and wide here in the US, both with from the consumer perspective as well as the institutional perspective. And I think that we'll set up these corridors to move money in ways that you know, people have never seen before.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it should be the most you mentioned financial Let's make news here. Are you speaking to any of them right now? Have you spoken to any of them?
Speaker 2: Well, look, we're talking to several of them.
Speaker 5: We'll have fantastic news release in the coming months.
Speaker 2: I think we'll have many partners, not just one. We're not going to be exclusive. Look, we're agnostic.
Speaker 5: We want to help as many consumers as possible in the US, and we want to help as many businesses that we can as well.
Speaker 4: All right, so that means you're coming back on to tell us when you do have news right now? Well, you just committed yourself to that, Paolo talk a little bit about how USAT, the US regulated stable coin that you're launching here, will differ when it comes to what is backed by. We know that USDT is backed by short term US treasuries along with some other cash equivalents. What is USAT going to be backed by?
Speaker 3: So USAT will be backed by US treasuries again short term. I think that is in the biggest interest of the United States and also US companies, but also Tetter as a broader company, to showcase strong alliance with the United States.
Speaker 2: We have with USDT. Specifically, we have held the US.
Speaker 3: Dollar gemony as no other product in the world, and so we plan to continue to do the same with the USA t And so we want to make sure that every single USAHU user user, user knows that there is a strong backing, liquid backing any point in time that can redeem USAT for a dollar and use it in a very similess way throughout all their digital life and physical life and both.
Speaker 4: This is all part of a larger plan to grow dramatically over the next one to two years. You've been very vocal in saying that you want to dominate. Do you have any specific growth targets that you could share with us.
Speaker 5: Well, look, I mean, we want to be the largest player in the US market. We already are abroad, we want to match that here. And you know, I've said this repeatedly over the course the last few months in my former role at the White House. You know, I firmly believe that as tokenization occurs, so well capital flow into stable points. We want to have seamles on and off ramps to our US capital markets. You know, if we have tokenization of public securities, people are going to be using stables to go in and out of those different asset classes, and we want to be the best stable in the marketplace to do so. I think we'll have many fantastic partners, whether it be institutional banking firms, whether it be market makers, etc.
Speaker 2: And so, you know, we're.
Speaker 5: Talking to a plethor of different folks about how these technologies can plug into their current ecosystems. I think they'll adopt them very quickly and we'll be able to set up a new payment real system in the US that benefits the US consumer in a tremendous way.
Speaker 1: Bill, Can you answer a question that I'm sure a lot of people have who saw your work in the White House, who saw your work for the Trump administration. After all, you helped shepherd the Genius Act and then you joined this company. How can you ensure viewers, listeners, competitors that there is no conflict of interest between you and what is happening right now at the White House.
Speaker 5: Well, look, you know, I've stepped down from my roles touching anything related to crypto in the White House, and you know, I felt like this was a fantastic opportunity to jump into the private sector and do exactly what the Genius Act intended to do, which was unsure the best developed in the space on shore, the brightest minds in.
Speaker 2: Crypto, and make the US the crypto capital of the world.
Speaker 5: Tether is by far and away the most important private public partnership the US government has. We're buying more treasuries than anyone else in the private sector. It makes us less reliant on foreign adversaries in order to purchase our debt.
Speaker 2: But also you can't be the crypto capital of.
Speaker 5: The world without having the most important company in the space here on US soil. And so that's what I've had an opportunity to do, and I'm extremely excited about it.
Speaker 1: Can you talk to us a little bit about how this role came together and when you started conversations with Paolo or the other folks over at tether.
Speaker 5: Well, look, you know I had been in conversations with everyone in the industry over the course of the last eight months as we worked diligently on Genius to make sure it was the best product for the American people. And you know, it took my job very seriously in that way. We wanted diversity of thought. We wanted to hear from the entire ecosystem before we developed the product that would upend the financial system in a positive way.
Speaker 2: And that's what we've done.
Speaker 5: And so you know, when I announced that I was resigning, I had received countless first from different firms. And again I'll point back to my prior comment. When I was looking at different opportunities, I said, well, hey, look, I have an opportunity now to do something that you know, I described as being extremely important when I was in my role, and that was on shore the most important players in the space.
Speaker 2: And that's what we're doing here at USAT.
Speaker 5: They're going to have a US entity based in Chrowot at North Carolina, which is where I'm from, which certainly made it distractive. And then we also have a US product that I think which will be by far and away the premiere product in the stable coin market here on US soil.
Speaker 1: So we don't have a ton of time. I want to jump in, and then I know Scarlett has some more questions. Were you Were you talking about this role while you were still employed at the White House.
Speaker 2: No, I was not.
Speaker 5: I was actually engaging with several different folks, just focused on the Digital Assets Working Group report at that time, and then obviously we got into August resigned for my role. I had several interviews in which I said I was courting I was being courted by several different firms and receiving many different offers. I went through those offers and talked about those with my family and then decided this was the best place for me to builder Bille.
Speaker 2: Thank you for answering that.
Speaker 4: Bo Paulo, let me ask you a final question. You have repeatedly said that Tether is not interested in going public. We started the show by talking about a couple of crypto companies have gone public and are doing well. Both plans to dominate means there's going to be a lot of need for money. What might change your mind ongoing public.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that the beauty of Tether is that has three features that most of the company don't have. So companies you should have in general a good ETOs and good philosophy. They should have the ability to innovate in our case innovating tech and finance. And also should have the capital. Most of the companies in the world, if not all the companies in the world, have either a good philosophy or have good tech innovation ability or both of them, but they lack capital. Tether last year made thirteen point seven billion dollars in profit not revenues profits, and this year I would be surprised if we don't top that. And so that is exactly even if you look at our competitors status, exactly what different sihates out.
Speaker 2: We have the entire.
Speaker 3: Ground based covered with you know, also our ability to generate enormous amount of capital and the profits and we invest them in infrastructure and expansion and distribution. In the last three years that are invested almost five billion dollars in the US market alone, and you know a lot also if we think about the global markets, we invest in different technologies. Of course, in different sectors, but the most importantly we invest in our distribution channels. Investment in rambo is one, but we invest in chains of the bodegas in Central South America. We invest in companies that are building hundreds thousands shots in the next five years in Africa to build again or even there in the most difficult market in the world, the biggest distribution network of physical distribution network for.
Speaker 2: The emerging market.
Speaker 3: So that is what we are set to do, and we have all the capital to do so we can remain the dependent. I don't want to spend the next three months and every single quarter of my life to try to explain to analysts why we are not optimizing to make two cents more rather than focusing on making good.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: Oh guys, really appreciate you both taking the time and joining us on Bloomberg Crypto today. Let's stay in touch and come back soon. That's Tether CEO Paolo Ardoino and bo Hines.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your time.