Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Fouls Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe it to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack Diamondbacks did not have a great weekend out in Tampa. They get swept by the Tampa Bay Rays. They get outscored fifteen to four. It was a lifeless showing and they are now under five hundred for the first time since May seventeenth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that place has just been a house of horrors for the Diamondbacks. They was swept there in twenty three, they swept this year. They lost two or three to the Rays last year at Chase Field. As we heard at nauseum. You know, the Dbacs are zero for six in Florida and I think they scored ten runs in the six games between.
Speaker 3: Tampa and Miami.
Speaker 2: So yeah, good news for the d Backs that they do not need to go back to the state of Florida again for the rest of the season, unless it's supposed season. Well.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, there really was no good news for Merrill Kelly after another rough outing for him on Sunday in the finale of the series. Six innings, eight hits, five runs, two walks, three strikeouts. He allowed three home runs in the game, Jack, he generated four whiffs. I guess if you want to combine Zach Gallon and Meryl Kelly in the course of that series, those two guys combined to get five swing and misses and allowed five home runs, and that is you do not want those two numbers to be the same. So Meryl Kelly another rough one, and at the end of this game, I'll just throw these quotes up here. Now, Merrill was sort of at a loss for words. Merrill started, I guess the first quote that we saw from Jose Romero in his story over at the Arizona Republic was Meryll saying that he doesn't really have any more ways to describe what's happened this season. He said, I'm starting to run out of words for how bad I've been this year. And then you see here he said, just more of the same, missing pitches, bad counts. And then Merrill went on to say, we still have half a season left, but as a whole on the year, definitely the poorest results the porse, I've felt the least.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm doing my job.
Speaker 1: That part sucks probably the worst, not doing what the team needs me to do, what the team counts on me to do every fifth day. I've mixed some good ones in there, but as a whole, I think that's the part that hurts the most. And I guess if you're a Diamondbacks fan the very least can maybe respect that Merril Kelly is really feeling it right now and is trying to do everything he can to get back on track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, Meryl cares. I mean, I know it's frustrating for all of us, but not as much as for us as it is for him. I mean, yes, he's well paid. He's well paid professional athlete. He makes a lot of money. But don't for a minute think that Merril Kelly doesn't care immensely about how well he performs doing his job and trying to help his teammates. You know, at the end of the day, we don't have to feel bad for him as a person. I mean, he's going to be absolutely fine. But don't kid yourself, guys, these they care. I know when we're watching on TV, whether guys are not hitting or you know, having bad at bats, or you know, serving up meatballs. It just feels like they don't care, and it's listless and lifeless and all of that. And it can feel that way in their dugout as well. But they care. They work hard, they try, they care. It doesn't excuse poor performance, but they care.
Speaker 1: Zach Gallon has the worst ERA in baseball among qualified starters at six point one point five. Mary Kelly is still not a qualified starter, so he technically is not on that list, But if you were a qualified starter, his five point eight four ERA theoretically would rank second worst in baseball, just behind his teammates Zach Gallon. So certainly not what the Diamondbacks we're hoping to get from those two guys this season. We talked a little bit more about Gallon after his start on Friday. In terms of Meryl Jack, I know you've done some work looking at some of the underlying numbers for Merrill this season and in comparison with twenty twenty five, and I guess there was a narrative early in the year that he just had a few really bad starts and he didn't have a full spring training. You could maybe excuse those clunkers in the beginning, but I think your chart here shows pretty clearly that Mary Kelly, even if you exclude those really bad starts at the beginn any of the year, he has not been the same guy.
Speaker 2: That's correct. And the other point for me was, even when he was having some good starts, a lot of the underlying stuff just didn't look right. And there are a lot of really big red flags and warning signs that even those few good starts that he did have were just not sustainable. So what this chart is, and it's a little eyecharty, but.
Speaker 3: Hang with me.
Speaker 2: So this is Merril Kelly's ex wOBA by pitch type splits, and it's being compared against the MLB average right hand starting pitcher. So I want to be very specific. I want to compare Merrill to his class of player right hand starters, and so on the screen it shows twenty twenty six year to date. And just for those that may not know, x wOBA is basically the same as XCRA. XCRA is ex wOBA converted to an ERA number, So it's just easier to pull the x wOBA and Merrill's ex wOBA for the year is coming into today's start was four oh two, and the average right hand starting pitcher was point three two three. But if I throw out the first four starts, just don't include him, just toss him out. His ex wOBA from May ninth forward was still point three six eight three sixty eight x wOBA against a three to nineteen average for the average right hand starting pitcher. Compared to twenty twenty five, he had a three sixteen x WHOBA versus a three twenty two average x WHOBA for the right hand.
Speaker 3: Starting pitchers in the league.
Speaker 2: So we can see a fifty point gap in the expected stats on wOBA for Merrill Kelly, even if you throw out the bad first fourth starts. The other part of this chart that I just want to highlight is I did break it out by pitch type, and on the far left hand side of the column you can see what the wOBA is for the average starting pitcher. For example, because if you hit the ball, if you put it in play, I mean the average hitters like fastballs, right, So the average wOBA on a fastball is zero point three four nine. Merrill's this year is five oh two, and even since May ninth, it's four fifty. The changeup, which is his bread and butter. I mean, the changeup was his best pitch in twenty twenty five or with a two seventy x wOBA against This year it's three ninety and even since May ninth, three point fifty five. The cutter's bad, the slider's pretty good, but he doesn't throw out that much. The curve is the pitch that he's getting the most success on, but again is probably hard to sequence in more frequently than he has. I showed the total number of pitches as well. He's only got a two oh nine x wOBA on the curve ball since May ninth. So there are you know, I mean, basically it's ever think about the curveball and maybe some of the sliders getting hammered, forcing change up, cutter, sinker, they're all getting absolutely drilled, and you know, so it's really hard for me to see where to be optimistic with Merrill going forward, Like what's the way forward for him to reverse this collapse?
Speaker 3: And that's what this is, folks.
Speaker 2: This is a complete and total collapse through you know, however many starts he's got fourteen or whatever for a thirty seven year old pitcher.
Speaker 1: I think We've always understood with Merrill that the stuff wasn't all that great, and as it continued to diminish as he got older, like there was a risk there, certainly that he would just sort of drop off the table. What's odd about his twenty twenty six season is the numbers haven't really dropped off the table. I mean, it's forcing fastball this year is averaged ninety two point zero last year at average ninety one point nine. You look at the movement on some of his pitches, I know, the cutter movement profile is pretty different this year. I'm not sure it's clearly worse than it was last year, but it is different. The change up his signature pitch that you mentioned almost exactly identical in terms of velocity and movement. I think he's lost a third of an inch of drop, but that is such a small number it's hard to believe that that is solely responsible for the difference there. And it sets up a situation with Meryl Jack where I'm just like, I just can't really put my finger on what's gone on with him this season. The narrative that he's kind of pushed in his postgame interviews, and he talked about it again today, was just throwing too many pitches in the heart of the zone. And I know this is maybe a bit of an oversimplification, but if you just look at the percentage of pitches in the heart of the zone from Merril Kelly, he actually has thrown fewer of them in twenty twenty six than he did season ago. This season he's a twenty two point three percent of his pitches in the heart of the zone. Last year was twenty four point three percent, so actually down two percent in that regard. The one thing I could find Jack was his zone rate is down pretty significantly. He has thrown forty three point five percent of his pitches in the zone entering today. Last year was forty seven point eight percent, and I think compared to the rest of his career, I believe that's the lowest zone rate of his career. So in terms of just literally throwing the pitch in the strike zone, Merrill Kelly has regressed in that regard, and I guess that that results in fewer counts in his favor and hitters maybe just being more comfortable against his wide arsenal of pitches.
Speaker 2: Meryl also talked about his mechanics and saying that, you know, he felt like there was some issues there with his mechanics, and there were definitely some problems there. I go back to discussion I have with Brent Strom during the Madison Bumgarner trials, and you know, when we look with looking at Bumgarner, I mean, his velocity was the same, his spin rates were the same, the movement profile on his pitches was essentially the same. We couldn't figure out why hitters were crushing him, but he was having a lot of location mistakes. It wasn't so much that he was walking guys, but he did get scared out of strike.
Speaker 3: Zone a little bit.
Speaker 2: And I asked Strom, I said, do pictures sometimes maybe have to go a little harder or closer to max effort when they get older And it doesn't show up in the velocity and the spin rates, but it does show up in inconsistency and mechanics and inability to locate. And he said absolutely. He said, you know, the location oftentimes goes first, especially when you're looking at guys that don't throw ninety eight miles an hour. It was like, all of a sudden, why is this? You know, command and control expert having a hard time dotting the ball like he used to do and keeping it in the strike zone. And so you know that's an age factor. I mean, look, we all get older. Father time is undefeated and being able to repeat your mechanics whistle clean every single time so that you can put the ball exactly where you want it. That's part of the formula two. And there's probably some ways to measure that, but it's much more subtle and difficult to do so, and so those things will show up first before you see the rest of the underlying metrics kind of following behind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that. I think that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Certainly, that could be at the heart of what's going on with Merrill Kelly five point eight to four er at this point still just such an enormous difference from where he was a season ago, a three point five to two ERA in one hundred and eighty four innings. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball and this season far far from it. So Diamondbacks get swept by the Rays Junior Camonaro, Holy cow, they are going to be happy to not have to pitch to him anymore. He went five for ten in the series with three home runs. That was pretty brutal. And the Diamondbacks have now lost six of their last eight. They are ten and eighteen since reaching a season high seven games over five hundred back on May twenty seventh, And I guess we should maybe touch on the offense here as well. The Diamondbacks was scoring just the one run in the finale of the series. They have now scored two runs or fewer in fourteen games since May thirtieth, That is the span of less than a month, and the Diamondbacks have scored two runs or less in fourteen strake or in fourteen games in that span. This offense jack continues to be lifeless with runners in scoring position and really more lately just kind of lifeless in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we're going to dig into some of the underlying stuff but later in the show on the offense, But you know, we're getting close to the time where some really big moves probably will be happening soon. I mean, I don't know much how much further they can go this way with the offense struggling this badly, whether that's you know, change of player personnel or change of coaching personnel.
Speaker 3: Something's going to give just as simple as that.
Speaker 2: What moves they'll choose to make and when and how they'll make them, we don't know for sure. We can make suggestions, We have ideas, just like everybody else. You know, we'll put some of those forth today, but very very difficult to watch.
Speaker 3: They're just a tough watch right now.
Speaker 1: Before we get to our first break, just circling back to Maryland, Zach real quick. You and I had a conversation earlier today offline about how the Diamondbacks could maybe maximize the value on these two guys as they are continuing to struggle. I know there's a contingent of people that would love to see the d Bacs just remove Merrill and Zach from their rotation and you know, maybe throw Mitch Bratt and Cold Drake or something like that in there. I don't think that's a realistic outcome for this team right now. But Jack, I know you had a thought about how the Diamondbacks could maybe get some more value here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is an original thought. I mean, you know, other people have discussed this before, but I'm embracing the thought the more I've thought about it, which is, at this point in time, as for zach and or for Merril, they have to consider using an opener in front of them. And it doesn't really matter so much of the righty lefty aspect of it. It's more about protecting them from the top three on the other team's batting order, because almost every team puts their best three hitters one, two, three. Protect those two guys right now. Let them get their feet under them by facing the lower down portion of the order when they come out, and then by the time they get back around to the top of the order, they will have at least, you know, faced anywhere from three to six batters, figure out what's working today, maybe being a little bit more solid footing, maybe have a little bit more confidence. And you know, oh, by the way, that's one less time that they have to face the top of the order. They're still starting pictures, they can still give you length. You need the bulk. You know, you can't just say, well, I'll send them to the bullpen, which I did, but you know, the reality is somebody's got to start. So the other thing is is, you know, okay, with pedigree and history and relationships and all of that, I can see where that would be a difficult conversation to have, but I don't see how either one of them has a leg to stand on to push back on this idea. If dbac's management went to them and said, yeah, we're going to we're going to go with an opener today, you know, or the next two or three times out, we're going to try an opener for you guys, I think that they could get some value that way.
Speaker 3: If you think it through.
Speaker 2: That way, they never really need to face the top three of any batting order more than once twice. If they're going really well, right, if they're pitching really well, then you can say, okay, let them try and get through that top three in the order. And if, you know, if it happens too quickly, then it means it's not pitching well in the first place. But I think at least this way you can get some bulk innings out of them. You know, you might be able to get five innings, you know, fifteen outs or whatever from them that way, so without giving up quite so many runs. So this is something I would try just to try to salvage them. And that's what I'm talking about here, folks. Salvage I do not believe that either one of them is just going to magically turn it around and even be a four or four point five Vra Pitcher.
Speaker 3: I think we're past a point of no return.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to argue with that. As both of these guys continue to struggle. It is frankly hard for me to imagine the Diamondbacks actually doing that. I think the factors that you mentioned earlier, of just the pedigree that they have in this organization, it's hard for me to see it happening, especially with maybe with Zach because it's a one year contract. I think with Merrill, the fact that he's coming back next year, like the optics there, I just have a hard time imagining them going down that road. But certainly it makes some sense. All this to say, the Diamondbacks are not in a great position after the weekend. The vibes have soured quite a bit here over the past few weeks, and as we think ahead to the trade deadline, which is thirty six days away as we record here on Sunday evening, June twenty eighth, the Diamondbacks have quite a few questions to answer. So when we come back after this break, we're going to dive into the trade deadline, how we think the d Bacs should approach it. Are they maybe more leaning towards cell mode at this point. We'll get into all of that on the other side of this break. We are back here on Snake's territory. Shout out to all of you who are here with us, watching on YouTube, listening on your favorite podcast app. We really appreciate you. As I mentioned earlier, it really helps us out. If you would drop a like on this video, subscribe to our channel, hit the bell icon for notifications, leave us a comment. We always enjoy hearing from you. So thank you to all of you for doing all those things. We really really appreciate it. Well, Jack I mentioned it before the break. We are thirty six days out from the August third trade deadline. Some big decisions on the horizon. Of course, the only public comments that Mike Hasen has made on this subject or that he is planning to buy, so I guess in that sense, you know you still have to put some stock in those words. But Mike also said those words long enough ago that you'll wonder if things have maybe changed. The Diamondbacks are forty one and forty two after their series loss or series sweep, I should say at the hands of the Tampa Bay Rays. This is where they are in the standings. They are three games behind the Saint Louis Cardinals for that third wild card spot. And maybe even more daunting than that number is the fact that they have five teams that they would need to jump over to get into that third wild card spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their playoff odds are not great right now. As of today, Fangraphs is already down to eighteen point five percent, I believe, and I'm sure that when we look at Baseball Reference, they're probably going to be down to about six percent. Baseball Perspectus is going to be down to about twenty three percent, So they're composite. Even if you, you know, just use three different methodologies, it's going to be about sixteen percent. When we compare where they were through eighty three games last year, they were Fangrafts had them in eighteen point two percent and Reference had them in eleven point two percent.
Speaker 1: So they had the exact same record, right, forty one and forty two through eighty three games, the exact same record at this point last season.
Speaker 2: Right, and they were in similar spot and standings, So you know, not looking great.
Speaker 3: It's pretty bleak.
Speaker 2: And you know, Mike is a responsible general manager, so he's not going to, you know, all of a sudden start stripping the farm, bear to go bring in a bunch of rentals.
Speaker 3: That's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: You know, what he is going to do will still largely be determined about by what happens over the next you know, twenty five days. I mean, he's got fifteen twenty games to decide ultimately what he is what he's going to do. We, on the other hand, have opinions about what he should do or where he's likely to land on this based on what we're seeing.
Speaker 4: I guess this is uh, this is where we throw this on the screen. This is a that's the time, Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess we'll stick with this for the next month or so and kind of use it to as a gauge for what the Diamondbacks are most likely to do with the deadline. For those of you listening have no idea what I'm talking about, we have a little gauge that kind of looks like a speedometer, where on the far left side you have sell, in the middle you have hold, and then on the right side of the gauge, you have the Diamondbacks buying, and right now we have we're basically towing the line between sell and hold where we think the Diamondbacks are certainly not in a buy mode if the trade deadline was tomorrow, but they're also close enough, Like if the standings looked something like this right at the trade deadline, they are within shouting distance. I mean, three games is not insurmountable. We know Mike Kyson likes to be aggressive, so I think if it looked something, if the standings looked something like this on August first, or whatever date you want to look at, it's hard to imagine the d Bacs going full on fire sale in that situation as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it may be hard, but it may also be the right thing to do. The problem is is full on fire sale. They don't have the assets like they had last year. I mean last year you had Naylor, you had Geno, you have Merrow. They thought they had an asset in Zach, but it's turned out that the rest of the league saw what we're seeing now. You know, they did also sell Randall Gritchick and they ended up selling Shelby Miller and packaging him with Jordan Montgomery saved some money. So you know, now this year they're free agents are mostly relievers, right, I mean Lords is a free agent. You know, James mccannon is a free agent. But you know it's Kevin Kinkle, it's Paul Sewall, it's Jonathan Issica, it's Taylor Clark. I mean, these are the guys that they have to market. And you know, it's it's a totally different thing because two months of a reliever that's a free agent the next year is going to get you a lot less than two months of a Merril Kelly or even a Gino Suarez or Joshnaylor. So you know, the cell option isn't as attractive because of less marketable assets. But I think the other thing we need to look at is, you know, how do we project this team going forward and what's the true underlying nature of this team. I mean, beyond the fact that they're just slumping horribly on offense and Zach and Merrill are struggling, we can kind of take a look back even when the record was doing somewhat better. You know, what I have here on the screen is a chart of wOBA and X wOBA through May sixteenth, and the batter Is on May sixteenth had a three oh nine wOBA which ranked twenty fourth in the league, and at three oh nine x WHOBA would ranked twenty fourth in the league. The pitchers had a three nineteen wOBA against, which was seventeenth, the x wOBA was three thirty six, which was twenty fourth. And then I show the era versus XCRA, FIP, x FIP and Sierra, and all of those are you know, in were more or less in line. Well, now we fast forward to June twenty seventh, and the team's wolba's three oh seven, it's twenty seventh.
Speaker 3: In the league.
Speaker 2: The x roobs three thirteen, it's twenty second in the league. So, you know, the offense has been the offense really for a long time. This isn't something new that just the situational hitting has been so bad, so the runs aren't coming, but the underlying inputs that determine, you know, what kind of talent you have has been the same all year. Pitchers they have a three to twenty three wOBA against as of June's twenty seventh that ranks twenty first in the league. The x wol three thirty eight ranks twenty six. Now, that gap maybe can be explained by the defense, because the Dbacs are in the top two or three fielding run value, so their defense has been very good, and so if there's a gap between their wOBA and x wOBA, the fielding is probably a major factor there in helping that along.
Speaker 1: I guess all this to say that you could make a very strong case that the Diamondbacks true talent level offensively is bottom ten in the league, and that their true talent level pitching wise is bottom ten in the league, maybe worse than that.
Speaker 4: On both of those fronts, you could argue, And.
Speaker 1: So projecting moving forward, it's hard to it's hard to look at this team that's only a game under five hundred and three games out of the playoffs right now and think that realistically they're going to be able to turn this around.
Speaker 3: That's my sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I have to admit that when I predicted in our preseason predictions as the Dbacks would be a seventy five win team, I was thinking it was because I thought the bullpen was going to be terrible and the pitching was going to be bottom five to ten. I'm not far off there, but I thought they would have a league average offense, and they still project on paper as a league average offense. So I'm finding more close to it, like probably around eighteenth or nineteenth, you know, better than twentieth, somewhere between fifteen and twenty. If you go to the Fangrass depth charts rest of season projections, most of the players have better projections than their actual numbers for this year. Corbyn's got better, you know, numbers than his projections, but Katell and so does Gabby. But Katel and Prodomo are significantly worse. And of course Lordis and peven Smith the bottom has fallen out on their production, albeit in small sample size because of injury. But that's what you're dealing with, veteran players that have been having hurt, that have been hurt, that are having terrible years. And then you have a lot of really young players. And if you look at the aggregate of all the young players, the batting averages are kind of okay, but there's very little pop there. I mean, Tommy Troy is your your rookie slugger with three homers. You know, it's just unfortunately, if you you know, we want to see these young players come up and play and develop every day. And I think the overriding sense as well, if you're going to lose any way, at least let's see the young kids try and develop and enjoy that. And that can happen. That can be very enjoyable at times, that can also kind of be tough to watch, especially for the casual fan. Everyone has to remember we're the diehards, right. If you're watching this show, you're a diehard Jesse and I.
Speaker 1: If you're crazy enough to watch our show, then clearly this team is important to you.
Speaker 2: But you know they're running a business, right And you know, the casual fan, if they see a bunch of rookies that they don't know anything about, you know, they're probably not going to show up at the ballpark to come out and see them. Now, they're not coming out to the ballpark to see Lord Is to hobble around and Pevin Smith ground out or strikeout either. So you know, a case can be made either way. But I'm just trying to say, like from an owner's perspective, you know, the decision to strip off all your veterans and DFA all your veterans and goes strictly youth. That's a tough one to make, but I think they're going to get there because they should and they're going to have to.
Speaker 1: In terms of what it would look like for the Diamondbacks to actually sell, you mentioned some of the names. The Diamondbacks do have a lot of impending free agents currently, but yeah, a lot of them are are relievers or position players like Lordis Gurriyell and James McCann that you just don't figure are going to bring back a whole lot of value. I guess on the reliever front, the name that stands out most to me as someone that would be attractive for teams is Kevin Ginkle. Ginkle We've talked about it a lot. His underlying numbers have been strong consistently throughout the season. I know they've slipped a little bit here in recent days. There's been a little bit more hard contact lately, but he still has a sub three er and has a strikeout ray close to thirty percent. He's the kind of reliever that if you're a contending team, you'd probably be happy to plug Kevin Ginkle in not as your closer, but maybe as like your seventh inning guy. I think that would be attractive for teams out there. The other relievers that the Dbacks have available, it's a little bit hard to say how attractive they would be for teams. I mean, Ryan Thompson has put up pretty good numbers, but you look at the underlying stats, he's not really striking anybody out. And we know how important that is for teams, especially when they think about the postseason. They're looking for swing and miss. That's really the skill set they're targeting more than anything else, and it's really a skill set that Ryan Thompson doesn't have. He's well below average in that regard. A similar story with Jonathan Lewisica who has a good ra but his strikeout rate is well below the league average. Taylor Clark similar story, strikeout rate well below league average. And so you'll wonder, even if the Diamondbacks were in a pretty pretty confident cell mode at the trade deadline, I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze with those guys. I mean, are you actually getting back anything meaningful for any of them? Maybe you'd rather hold on to him on the off chance that we see something like we did last year, where do they kind of make it interesting toward the end of the season, and maybe you'd be happy to have those guys on the roster.
Speaker 2: The other thing, and I mentioned this the other day, if you think this team is a tough watch, now, you know, dive into your next tier of relief pitchers, you know, the wamberg Osh and if he manages to get back healthy, Andrew Hoffman or Kate Stroud, you know, guys like that. I mean, like, you know, you look at who's come up from the miners and how they performed, and it's been brutal, of course, you know.
Speaker 3: So brutal that Joe Bardiaz got himself DFAD.
Speaker 2: So you know, it's it's kind of dicey to say, okay, well yeah, just strip a clean, sell it off, bring out you know, well, wait a minute, you only have among the position players I mean that you would possibly trade, might have any trade value or lord is, if a team needs a right hand to bat, we'll come to that minute, or you know, and they think that he might be able to hit, or you know, strip your relievers. So that's another dicey piece of this whole puzzle too. You know, if Mike makes a trade, I think he's just most likely at this point to trade for somebody that's got control, he's going to want a major league player that has control. You know, some of that's at least got his beak wet in a major not somebody that's never played, hopefully, somebody that's got at least a year or two under their belt. He's going to want a controlled player. And so if the players even halfway decent and you're trading for a player that's under team control, then it's going to cost you on your prospect list. So be ready for that too. I think about AJ Puck all right now, Davis and Della Sentos was an overrated prospect by my view at the time, because we saw that strikeout rate, and we saw the swing and miss and just a lack of plate discipline and lack of defensive mobility, and we you know, just outweighed his prodigious power.
Speaker 3: Yes, guy had light tower power, but we could see that.
Speaker 2: I don't know why the Marlins gave up AJ Puck, but then again, you look at his injury history, and the number one ability is availability, and they probably just felt like, you know what, I'll take a role here because Aj is probably just going to get hurt. Again, and that's exactly what happened for the Diamondbacks while they're paying some pretty exhorba in arbitration wages.
Speaker 3: So you know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: But I think that, you know, we've got to be careful what we ask for because if they do sell, the only assets they have our relievers, and the next line of relievers is pretty weak.
Speaker 1: We've got more to get to in this this buy sell conversation, so we'll jump back into it. We'll also talk about the Giant Series coming up, as well as the schedule the Diamondbacks have going into the All Star Break. But first it is time for our Daily Dinger segment here on Snake's Territory. Well, Snake's Territory is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings.
Speaker 4: It's just another reason why fan Duel is the home of home runs Jack.
Speaker 1: It feels like Hotel Marte is really the only Diamondback who's hitting home runs, and unfortunately he's not really hitting them at important times.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: At least I'm tempting to take Ketel Marte again. What do you got here?
Speaker 2: Hilliott Romos is coming back for the Giants. I'm going to take him. I think he comes back and knocks a homer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: I guess picking members of the opposing team is maybe the safer bet at this point. I think about Matt Chapman of the Giants, who's heating.
Speaker 4: Up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Raphael Devers is another name who's he's started to hit better here in recent days. We've seen him showcase his power against the Diamondbacks in the past. So yeah, maybe you want to lead Giants with the way that things have gone for this pitching staff and this offense here in recent days. Head over to fan duel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast to opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 5: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 4: Well Jack.
Speaker 1: As we jump back into our trade deadline discussion, I guess we should mention that the possibility of buying at the deadline is not is not completely out of the question, where we're still over a month away again the last the only comments that Mike Hasen has made on the record about this is that he's planning to buy, and we know that that he likes to be aggressive, and it wouldn't shock me if he did that. Looking at twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four as examples, Mike Hasen bought both of those years when the Diamondbacks were actually not comfortably in a playoff spot, depending on exactly which day you look on the calendar, both of those years they were right on the doorstep. They were, you know, maybe had to climb over one or two teams. They were about a game or so out of the third wild card spot, but they weren't they weren't in the playoffs. In twenty three, Mike talked about how the team got off to this great start and we believe in that and we want to support what they were able to do. And then in twenty twenty four it felt like maybe a little bit more of a clear cut decision, even though, yeah, the d Backs at that time they were not in a playoff spot. So I don't think the threshold here is the d Backs have to be, you know, at the top wild card spot or the second wild card spot. Even I think there's maybe a world where Mike hasen buys and they're outside of the playoff picture. It just probably needs to look a little better than it does right now.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you have to, as we did, took a lookout before. They have to get in a better position on these head to heads. I mean all the teams in front of them, the five teams in front of them, they've got a lot of games left against them, and even against them, you want to include the Phillies and the Cubs. I mean, they've got three against the Phillies, three against the Cubs, they've got four against the Cardinals, they've got three against the Pirates, three against the Nationals, three against the Marlins, you know, and so they have an opportunity to make a move. Now they're not all coming up right away, and the schedule's pretty tough. I mean, yes, they have three against the Giants, but then they've faced the Brewers for three. Then they go on the road to California for four games against the Padres and three against the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: And yes, the Padres.
Speaker 2: Don't hit, but they're a tough team to beat in San Diego and they pitch well. So you know, they could the Dvacs could easily head into the All Star Break quite a few games under five hundred. But if they managed to turn it around, if you know, over these next six for ten thirteen games, you know, they go like eight and five in the next thirteen games, and they get to a couple of games over five hundred, they're probably going to be, you know, right on the doorstep again coming out of the All Star Break. And then it just depends what they do. You know, that last week before Mike has to make his decisions. I mean most of his decisions are made probably you know, a week before the trade deadline itself. Of like Okay, this is our direction. He can, you know, make adjustments as he goes depending on what's happening within that and certainly injuries both to his team and other teams can come into effect there as well.
Speaker 3: So yes, there's.
Speaker 2: Plenty of time for Mike to still become a buyer. But when you look at the underlying weaknesses of this team, they need to improve in those areas, I think because the team's got to be looking at what I'm looking at and a lot more. They can't not see it. They know it. But they're just more paid than we are when it comes to their belief in players. That I mean, when they invest in a player, whether it's via draft or trade or signing and all the time of development and all of that, you know they're not just going to give up on that right away because the guy has a bad month. You know, they're not fans, they're professionals. So at the same time, they see what we see and ten times more, and so they know which guys are truly trending in the wrong direction and they're going to make their decisions based on that.
Speaker 1: Another name we should mention on the cell side is Michael Soroka, who has theoretically an opportunity to be healthy before the trade deadline, and he's on a one year contract, and certainly if he came back healthy and looked good, then I'm sure there would be teams that would show interest in him. Three point zero seventy ERA and fifteen starts, the Dbax are in cell mode. They get a lot of Michael Soroka if he was healthy, So I think Soroka would be far and away their most coveted asset if they were sellers and if he was healthy. The other name that's fascinating to me on the cell side is Paul Seawald, who is eighteen for nineteen and saves right. I mean, it's hard, it's hard to argue with that, but we know that the types of relievers that teams usually acquire at the deadline. You know, if you trade for a team's closer, chances are you want them to be, you know, their seventh inning guy. They want them to be their seventh thinning guy or eighth inning guy or something like that. And I'm not sure a team would do that with Paul Seawald. It kind of feels like he has value in the closing role, but it would be maybe a bit of a wild card in any other setting. So he's another name where maybe there'd be interest, but the d Bacs just might not be able to get enough to actually warrant trading him off to another team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly right, you know, not that he would have zero values, only making one and a half million, so you know, for five hundred thousand dollars, there's plenty of teams that would take a chance on him, but you know, it just you wouldn't get much back. I think, you know, important part of this too is the salary relief because the Dbacks have been brushing up against the competitive balance tax and we don't know if that's all going to go away next year, if there's even going to be a season next year, but you know, for right now, the Dbacks definitely don't want to be paying penalties, so you know, saving half a million here, a millionaire, two millionaire, you know, that all kind of helps them back away from that luxury tax threshold.
Speaker 1: I mean it seems like this year if they're sellers, I mean it's not there's no way that they're going to get to the threshold.
Speaker 4: If they're sellers, right.
Speaker 2: Well, onles. They do the old sell buy two step right, a couple of guys off to make room to bring in somebody else. You never well go get a hitter, well, any hitter worth his sauce. I mean, you know that is going to cost you some money. It's going to be some guy that's second or third year, are at least or maybe has a couple of years left on the contract, and you're absorbing salary. So you know, you got to make you got to clear some follar space there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and regardless of the luxury tax situation, Ken Kendrick might just decide that he wants to cut back on payroll, even if that's not an issue. If the d Backs are sellers, he might say, like, yes, let's you know, let's trade Jonathan Lewisega. Even though we're not getting much back, we're saving what it would be like five hundred k or something out out of his one point five million. You know, maybe those savings would actually be worthwhile for for Ken Kendrick trying to lower the payroll a little bit down the stretch. So a lot of decisions for the Diamondbacks to to make here in the next the next few weeks.
Speaker 2: Are we at the point in the show where we can talk about the Mariners pretty please please please.
Speaker 1: Sir Jack, what Mariners Diamondbacks trade? Are we going to get this July?
Speaker 3: Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Tell us well, reports have come out that the Mariners are looking for a reliever in a right handed bat. So I had like a very strange thought which probably can't or won't happen. But you know, it's not the worst idea I've ever had, which is, you know, go to Jerry Depoto and say, here, we'll pick up all but say a million of Lordis's salary, you know, to pick up a million of Lordus Curio's salary. But you got to do it. Now, go ahead and bring Ryan Walshman back up. You move Lordis over the Seattle. Now what's in that for Seattle? I mean they get a guy early that if he somehow did get on a heater, you know that that's a million dollar risk or a two million dollar risk, but it's not going to cost him anything in player capital. In other words, you're just getting the Mariners to take as much of the salary remaining salary as you can without really getting any player capital in return. Right, And so for the Mariners, they get him early enough where if it works out and he starts to hit, you got your right handed hitter. And if it doesn't work out, they can say goodbye to him before the trade downline and go try somebody else. And all it's cost him is a couple million dollars. So I don't know what their salary situation is and how tight it is, but that's something that I would be on the phone talking to them about if I was my Kazum, you know, I would see, hey, could you take lorders off my hands? How much of the salary are.
Speaker 3: You willing to absorb?
Speaker 2: And I would try to make it early move there. And then for Mike, he's simply replacing Lords with Ryan.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm skeptical, but I'm also like, well, this is a Mariner's Diamondbacks trade, so of course it could happen and probably will happen.
Speaker 4: Looking at the Mariners roster a little.
Speaker 1: More closely, the guy that they got in the off season to be their right handed hitting outfielder was Rob Refsnyder, and he has had just a miserable season. He's hitting one thirty three with a two oh three on base percentage of two nineteen slug negative one point one war entering today. So I guess the threshold that the Mariners are looking for is maybe not that high. So so maybe that does open the door to take a chance on someone like Lordis Guriel Junior. I still am skeptical because I think that lordis. Yes, he has been better than ref Snyder this year, but not by that much. To me, he just looks like a player that you know, if I'm a contender, I don't really see a need to go down that road. I would be shooting higher for sure. But but yeah, we know how Jerry Depoto and Mike Hazen r So never say never.
Speaker 2: Well again, the concept that I have there is that only.
Speaker 3: Works if it's early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's not a move that the Mariners would do five days before the trade deadline. There certainly would be shooting higher. The point is that if they pulled this off in the next week, you know, before the All Star break, then you can you got fifteen games to see if Lords can do anything, and if he doesn't, you cut bait on a million bucks and move on go get somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh, it it does make some sense. And if it's not this trade. It's going to be something. We know that Mike Casan and Jerry Depota they're going to make some sort of trade over the next month or so regardless, So we just all get to wait and see what that is. In terms of what's next for the Diamondbacks, they as you mentioned earlier, they are heading back home to face the San Francisco Giants, a team that they have had quite a bit of success against this season. We have the pitching probables here. It is going to be Eduardo Rodriguez and Tyler Mallley on Monday night. Brandon Fought is expected to make the start on Tuesday, going against landed group of the Giants, and then it's Zach Gallen and Trevor McDonald in the finale on Wednesday. So, as you mentioned, Jack, the schedule is pretty tough outside of this series with the Brewers and the Padres and the Dodgers coming up heading into the All Star break, so really important that the Diamondbacks capitalize on a team that they have dominated to this point in the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of quick health updates, by the way, Speaking of Michael Soroka, he is actually expected to begin throwing some bullpens by the end of this upcoming week, and also the James McCann had his ACL rehab games pushed to the end of this upcoming week. So to me, it kind of looks like James McCann is not going to be back before the All Star break. He could be, but maybe not. But the good names on Soroka is that and they mentioned this before that they felt like he would be able to start throwing enough to shorten up his.
Speaker 3: Ramp up time.
Speaker 2: If you remember we talked about the amount of weeks down from throwing is the amount of weeks you need to ramp back up. So I think he went on the injured list but in eighteen nineteen somewhere in there, forget the exact date. So if he's only down two weeks and it might only take him a couple of weeks to ramp up, so we could very well see Michael Siroka immediately after the All.
Speaker 4: Star break, and yeah, that would be huge.
Speaker 2: There will given plenty of time to at least get in a couple of starts approved to the world he's healthy, and then turn into the dbak's best sell chip if that's what they need to do.
Speaker 1: I else did started on June twentieth, so yeah, we're just a little over a week out from that. Pretty good news there that he's already expected to throw a bullpen pretty soon, so we'll do our best to keep you all updated on that. And thank you to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate it. As I mentioned earlier, drop alke on the video, subscribe to our channel, hit the bell icon from notifications so that you never miss an episode of the show. We always enjoy hearing from you, so leave us a comment. You can also find us on social media. I am at jesse En Friedman on Twitter. Jack is at sho Wizard fifty nine, and our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on si Jack any final thoughts here As we say goodbye.
Speaker 2: I'll see everyone Tuesday night after this episode. We our next show should be a live show on Tuesday following the DBS Giants game.
Speaker 4: Here you go.
Speaker 1: We hope to see you all right back here on YouTube. Then, thank you again to all of you for being with us. We really appreciate your time, and we'll be back once again on Tuesday night with another edition of Snake's Territory
Speaker 2: Pe