Speaker 1: It's media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your guest host, doctor Randall Williams, PhD. Today we're joined by Giannis Ptelis, Ryan Callahan, Spencer Newharth, Corey Culkins, Corine Schneider, Hunter Spencer, Brody Henderson and our special guest today, Brian the Butcher Harmon. Brian, Welcome, thanks for having me. This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing Brian, this is your first time playing Meet Eater Trivia. How do you feel about your chances?
Speaker 2: I'm not My expectations are very low.
Speaker 1: Fantastic profession I'd just like to note that this is a contest in which you want to have the high score. High score, Why don't you tell the folks at home traditional trivia? Yeah, yeah, as opposed to golf. Before diving into the stat of the week, I would like to note that I am simply reading from a script prepared by Spencer for the next few minutes. I'm grateful for his preparation. Each week here on Trivia, we reveal a new stat for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at my own performance. On average, I get seventy percent of questions right. In the hunting category, it's sixty eight percent, in the fishing category sixty seven percent, in the conservation category it's seventy two percent, and in cooking it's seventy percent. It's really no surprise that I excel in trivia because I am, after all, a doctor.
Speaker 3: I didn't write that part.
Speaker 4: Oh you know, like seventy percent in schools, like barely a.
Speaker 5: C I know.
Speaker 1: I'm horrified by looking at this.
Speaker 5: See he's good degrees.
Speaker 6: And then yeah, Grandpa the surgeon would say, you know what, see you got you medical school.
Speaker 7: Doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Randall, I trust you as a doctor. Really, I think I would.
Speaker 1: Uh, because I'm calm and cool under pressure.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, that's fantastic. Yeah, seems like you have good bedside manner. I could trust you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good at putting on the face right.
Speaker 2: Oddly aloof like like most good surgeons are.
Speaker 3: How do you know what most good surgeons.
Speaker 2: Are like, I've had to go see a couple of work.
Speaker 7: Sucks.
Speaker 3: It's a compliment, Randall, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean we were just getting we're just getting to know each other. But apparently he's got a good read. Here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode four hundred and fifty six. The topic was woodsmanship, and nobody got it right. Merriam Webster defines this five letter word as quote a spout inserted in a tree to draw off sap.
Speaker 7: Hmmm, I forgot it already.
Speaker 3: I will read your election.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 7: That's more than five letters.
Speaker 1: No, do we give up? I think we should. The correct answer was spile s p I l E. That sticks with you. No, No, I remember thinking that I didn't like this question when I first heard it, and then I read it again when Spencer sent me this email, and it aggravated me once more.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: The incorrect answers given were stipe, spout, spike, and crank, which makes more sense. Yes, we also have some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of Trivia, we had a question about the new River Gorge National Park, and while I was taking a victory lap at my correct answer, I talked about an ancient river that was there before the new river. I pronounced the old river as the Tees River, but listener Brent Brash wrote in to let me know that it's actually the Tas River. I guess I should have gotten a doctorate an English instead of philosophy.
Speaker 3: That's a weird thing for you to say, Randall.
Speaker 1: I know, I know my degree is in history.
Speaker 3: Though, Oh, you need to update your LinkedIn then, because that's where I got that information.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't want to get somebody. I don't want to get into advanced degrees.
Speaker 3: Here his multiple advanced degrees. He just got one on the side while he was getting why why would you LinkedIn say philosophy? Then who are you trying to impress?
Speaker 1: So on the in the academic world, it's always a doctor of philosophy like a doctor of me. You don't become a doctor of history of a doctor of philosophy in history. Yeah.
Speaker 3: School.
Speaker 1: Now, the Sydney Index for today's round is a three, so our winner should get six and I feel pretty good about that. With that, we're onto our game of trivia, play the drop, Phil.
Speaker 6: Look, it's so neat watching these kids live out their dreams.
Speaker 7: You know, everybody's a winner here today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is my nightmare.
Speaker 2: We watch a lot of.
Speaker 6: A lot of kids got night Bucks over the weekend, but it's not not stacking up to this moment right.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm in the Santa suit right now.
Speaker 7: Don't you feel a little bit good though, because you should feel like you have a little better chance of winning today being that he's not playing oh non asna Steve.
Speaker 1: Steve said he didn't want a guest host because he couldn't win, and I'm happy to be guest hosting because I can't lose. So I actually feel while I don't like that, while I don't like the camera trained right at me, I feel comfortable knowing I won't walk out out of here with a big old L on my forte.
Speaker 4: I think you're doing great man, Thanks you guys so far.
Speaker 7: You're the best one.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Brody.
Speaker 3: Sometimes sometimes I do lose, so there's a chance you could take an l here.
Speaker 5: Have any questions for us?
Speaker 1: I do I do. Let's move on, thanks all. Question number one the category of firearms. Oh you put the answer on the board. Oh no, you didn't, never mind. H The acronym SAMMY, most commonly associated with specifications for firearm cartridges, stands for what And this is a multiple choice question. Your options are a Standards of Arms and Ammunition Manual for Industry, B Shooters in Arms Makers, International C Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute, or D Scientific Ammunition Accuracy, Measurement and Inspection. That's a lot of dollables, guys, and I nailed them all.
Speaker 3: You got the longest question ever already. I know.
Speaker 1: I just realized that as I was reading it.
Speaker 8: Spencer never does the A, B, C, D, but I did in this case, just because I don't think people are gonna want to write all that stuff.
Speaker 3: You know this one, Brody, we'll find out.
Speaker 1: We've got an answer from Brody.
Speaker 6: I got an answer.
Speaker 1: We've got an answer from Ryan Callahan.
Speaker 7: I've looked at a lot of Sammy specs, but boy, I.
Speaker 3: Can't do a lot of reloading.
Speaker 7: Didn't you can't tell you what stands for? You got any thirty out six reloads laying around?
Speaker 1: Yes, dude, how are we feeling? We ready? Were ready for reveal? Corey.
Speaker 8: We've got an answer, yes, sir, Wait wait, get me I lost I lost my markers is very important.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Randall.
Speaker 1: I'll continue to keep everyone's attention while Phil looks for his marker.
Speaker 5: Is that what means?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's that I think Phil space? Did I do it?
Speaker 7: Did it?
Speaker 8: Grant?
Speaker 5: I found it?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 1: Great? Why don't we flip our answers over here? Brian the Butcher has a Hunter A, Corey D. Spencer, C. Brody, B cal A, Karin A, and Giannis A. We have a correct answer in the room. The answer is C Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute Spencer. Who had C there?
Speaker 5: Any Spencer?
Speaker 8: Did?
Speaker 5: Karen had it?
Speaker 1: And I noted that. I noted that, But in the moment I couldn't keep track of what I was just so focused on reading the names and answers.
Speaker 2: Cow was so quick to that A too. You looked at you like, that's this is a no brainer without.
Speaker 6: Like institute is redundant, Like I feel like we know it's the institute.
Speaker 1: Are you challenging me on the name of this organ?
Speaker 5: No, I'm just explaining why I got it.
Speaker 1: It's just like that's a stupid name. See correct answers see sporting arms and ammunition manufacturers.
Speaker 5: I think it's a stupid name. I think Sammy should change their name.
Speaker 8: That's why I changed.
Speaker 7: Thank You.
Speaker 1: Formed in nineteen twenty six, Sammy is an accredited developer of standards for safety, reliability and interchangeability in firearm, ammunition and component manufacturers. You'll commonly hear of Sammy approving the latest new cartridge that goes to market, and you'll often hear the phrase Sammy Speck used among handloaders or rifle builders. And here's a fun fact for you. Sammy was among the leaders in the effort to rally firearms and ammunition manufacturers to support the Pittman Robertson Act.
Speaker 4: Hmm, Jannis, did you used to push your loads past the Samy specs?
Speaker 1: No, sir, oh it's been done.
Speaker 3: I tried to think about if I was the host there, which ones would I come up with? And I thought A and D were randall. So then I was down to B and C, and I just guessed for C.
Speaker 1: You know, I've never had so much fun trying to come up with made up acronyms.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, then you haven't played the board game Balder dash should play that.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely true. Question two is hunting. Two species of this animal are the only trophies scored and recorded in the Boone and Crockett Club record Book by a measurement of its two prominent front teeth. Two species of this animal are the only trophies scored and recorded in Boone and Crockett by a measurement of its two prominent front teeth.
Speaker 3: So the answer is one animal? Correct?
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, you got it.
Speaker 3: Bro do you know this?
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say anything. If the answer was the Northern robin and the Southern robin, you'd just say robin.
Speaker 3: Day away from mammals, Johanny, I got this one right? Certain? Not to and o here.
Speaker 6: I don't think he's the only one.
Speaker 7: Good for you? Are you? Are you giving us a little lesson in smack talking to now?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not scored by two front teeth.
Speaker 8: M hm.
Speaker 7: It's gotta be the timber tager.
Speaker 1: We all get it. Looks like we're still waiting on a couple of answers here, saber tooth cat.
Speaker 7: Oh, I can only think of one animal with big teeth teeth. Are those teeth the front teeth?
Speaker 9: Are they if it's smiled like, we're out of questions.
Speaker 1: God damn it, that's the time, Thanks Phil. Why don't we flip our boards over and see who's got it? We got a couple. Ryan, the Butcher's got nothing, Hunter says bear, Corey says bear. Spencer says Walris. Brody says Walris. Cal says all of his answers are crossed off. Elephant Karinn says mountain Lion. Jannis says Walris. The correct answer is Walris. To score a Walris, you add together the length of each loose tusk, as well as four circumference measures of east of each. An all time boone and crocket Atlantic Walris must score at least in ninety five, while an all time Pacific Walris must score at least one hundred. The take of Walrus's has been prohibited since nineteen seventy two under the Marine Mammal Protection Act. The current all time Pacific Walris, scoring one hundred and forty seven and four eighths, was picked up in nineteen ninety seven by Ralph Young, who located the massive trophy while flying the shores of Bristol Bay beachcombing in his supercub two species?
Speaker 2: Please? What are the two species of walrus?
Speaker 1: Atlantic walrus and Pacific walrus? Two species of this animal? So it's the two.
Speaker 5: Do you measure a.
Speaker 1: Hippo only measures North American animals?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Atlantic walrus differ much from a Pacific.
Speaker 1: Just a little smaller, it seems, okay?
Speaker 3: Or are we good with the answer?
Speaker 1: Our next question comes in the category of conservation sort of, sort of. I didn't really label this one very Let's just go with it.
Speaker 5: Nobody cares.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that was just an error and transposition between my various documents. Jack Olsen's classic nineteen sixty nine book Night of the Grizzlies, which details the fatal maulings of two young women in Glacier National Park, was originally a three part article for What Popular magazine? Anybody reading magazines back in nineteen sixty nine. No, no, mmm, Phil, How are we doing?
Speaker 8: You're doing great?
Speaker 1: Good on time?
Speaker 5: Fantastic?
Speaker 8: We're doing yeah, just perfect on time?
Speaker 1: How's my am? I sitting at the right height, I feel my postor.
Speaker 8: You know, the more questions you asked me, the less sort of confident you sound.
Speaker 1: I just want to get it right. I just want to get it. It seems like we have answers from almost everybody in the room. Were ready to go to answers here. WHOA, you're really rushing us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not even giving us time to change, like suss out the competition.
Speaker 1: I think I think the listeners prefer the action.
Speaker 3: Or you could take a second and ask me Corinne and Hunter about the Phil's play that we went to on Friday.
Speaker 1: I'll save that for another question. I'm gonna ask Corey, are you confident in your answer? No, not at all. Great.
Speaker 3: I still haven't decided yet.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm trying to encourage some cross talk here.
Speaker 1: Cal now, kelboy, I'm getting some whiteboards. I'm getting some bad vibes from Cal right now. I don't think he likes what I'm doing here.
Speaker 5: No, I actually quite liked the pace.
Speaker 1: Okay, fantastic, Randon. Can I ask you how confident you are in my answer? I feel pretty good.
Speaker 3: You think anybody has this right?
Speaker 1: I bet someone?
Speaker 6: I bet if you kept the pace high, we could have more answers and thus more learning.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to accommodate, Brody. I'm accommodated. Okay, we're sufficiently accommodated in the back. The answer is Sports Illustrated, whoa WHOA what you didn't yees? So that's why I need to focus on.
Speaker 8: Just completely psyched yourself out the last two minutes.
Speaker 1: That's addressing Nobody says Field and Stream. Brian says National Geographic, Corey Outdoor Life Spencer, National Geographic, Brody says National Geographic, Cal says outdoor Life, Carinn says outdoor Life. Jannis says Time that is a zero percenter after the Listrigel Olsen's painstakingly researched account of the August nineteen sixty nine sixty seven killings of Julie Helgeson and Michelle Coons in two separate areas of the park stands as the definitive account of this tragedy, so much so that the event itself is most often referred to by the title of his book. The May twenty sixth issue of Sports Illustrated featured a cover headline that read the grizzly enemy of man must he be exterminated question mark, and included a letter from publisher Gary Valk, who wrote the following, it is hard to accept the fact that the zoo image is not the real image, and that the captive bear conceals his hatred of man only because he has no choice. We hope the menacing grizzly shown on this cover will help reinforce Olsen's conclusion that man and bear can peacefully co exist in the wild.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that was his conclusion.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. That's just what the guy in s I wrote.
Speaker 7: What a different time.
Speaker 2: I thought he was going the other way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a very different time to be bandying about ideas about should we exterminate a species.
Speaker 3: Especially for sports illustrations.
Speaker 1: At that point, anyway, if.
Speaker 6: People need to broaden their minds and understand that sometimes that's what coexisting is. You gotta look at all you got it from all sides time.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's actually like.
Speaker 4: Very much coexisting, like you're coexisting in their belly.
Speaker 7: Did you come across that when you were doing your PhD research?
Speaker 1: You know what I did? Thanks for asking you, honest. It's one of my favorite images of all time is the cover of that magazine, and I've stored it away in my brain for years and years for this little trick.
Speaker 3: What's the bear looking like?
Speaker 1: Is he roaring? He's sort of head and profile like this up beautiful.
Speaker 5: That's the thumb right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turn into you you turn. Tune in on YouTube to see my face. We're on to question four. Question four is in the category of fishing. Bill Lewis invented this iconic lure by adding bbi's to a standard herdbait, resulting in what Outdoor Life magazine once declared to be quote the most influential fishing lure of all time. Got some answers, hitting some whiteboards. That's a good sign. Some people puzzling, some people, some people squinting.
Speaker 7: Brian got this one.
Speaker 2: I'm the most confident of this.
Speaker 5: I feel, I feel, I feel pretty good.
Speaker 1: Vibes coming from the left side of the room.
Speaker 3: Specific Like you'd say, uh, an a five shotgun.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a brand. Yeah, it's it's a product. It's not like a it's not a category or a type of lords. You would this would show up on your receipt if you bought one. A good way to.
Speaker 3: Set that up, Randall, thank you.
Speaker 1: How was that musical? Sorry, not a musical? A screwball comedy from the nineteen thirties. Among those who were in attendance this weekend, Phil knock it out of the park. It was great. Phil's a star.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we knew.
Speaker 3: That Phil is electric.
Speaker 5: Show steeler is what I heard?
Speaker 7: Electric?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Did you guys shower him with flowers at the end.
Speaker 3: No, we showered him with wine. Came to the wine bar afterwards. Oh, and he got Korean fried chicken. I think in a glass of a.
Speaker 7: Fashion that sounds much better than my Saturday night over there. What was reason on the top of a ridge top in twenty mile an hour winds?
Speaker 1: And what was your cut of the was your cut of the door? Phil?
Speaker 8: Oh, don't fly until after the run of the show.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, it looks like we're all ready for the answer. I'll read yours first this time. Brian the Butcher says a rattle trap. Hunter says rattle trap. Corey says rattle banger Banger. Spencer says rattle trap. Brody says rattle trap. Cal says rattle trap. Karinn has a question, Mark Giannis says rattle trap. The correct answer is rattle trap, launching what some have called the rattle Revolution. The rattle trap took over the bass fishing scene in the nineteen seventies, and the Bill Lewis Lure Company has since sold more than one hundred and fifty million of them. Inspiration for the lure's catchy name struck Lewis as he was driving his old Ford station wagon, which he had affectionately nicknamed, and he guesses, rattle you guys got it?
Speaker 3: Rattle banger, the.
Speaker 1: No, the rattle trap. Are you looking at? Corey's answer?
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 1: Legendary pro angler Roland Martin credits the rattle trap as being quote very instrumental in my career and pointed out that quote very few bait companies have been able to exist on just one lure. Anybody caught a fish on a rattle trap.
Speaker 2: Caught a pierced. I pierced my mother's nose with a rattle trap, as I did, Yes, I did.
Speaker 3: Was that the bone you were throwing to him?
Speaker 1: No? No, I had no idea. We haven't talked about this yet.
Speaker 2: We were catching hybrids up at clark Hill and Augusta in the afternoon. They'll come and like boil up, and you troll these rattle traps around the outskirts of them and every line goes and so I'm trying to like pitch this out pitch a rattle trap out, goes back, doesn't come forward on the mom's face. Got to push the bar through, caught it, bring it back out, And I'm upset because that particular size rattle trap was the one was that they couldn't stand and now it had, you know, one less set of trouble.
Speaker 1: She's still put up with your golf hobby after that, or.
Speaker 2: That was for that was before golf, so she didn't hold that against me.
Speaker 1: Fantastic.
Speaker 3: Was that what made you take up golf?
Speaker 1: Uh? No, maybe she steered you towards golf from fishing in an event to prevent future puncture wounds.
Speaker 2: Yep, I had a few, had a few of those. Yeah, I remember the We used to call him like a Charlie horse. But it was a top water plug that had the the like almost looked like like any bitty like anyway, I throw one of those things into the bushes in our neighborhood and my dad's would me and I'm trying to get it out and I finally, you know, set it loose, and he said he heard it whistle by him and then right into the top of my head.
Speaker 1: I had I think it was a rattletrap. Stuck in a bush and we were fishing from a canoe in the boundary waters, and I chucked it up into the bank and we paddle over to it and my dad's trying to get it out, and a gust of wind just blows the canoe into the hooks and he stuck three fingers together on my trouble.
Speaker 3: And he just the wind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't my fault at all. And actually I wouldn't have grabbed it the way he had put himself in that.
Speaker 7: That's why you're a doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could have used a doctor on that on that trip. On question five, unless there are any other fun memories would like to recall about. Question five is in the category of conservation, A proposal to damn this river by some measures, north America's third largest, three hundred miles downstream from the town of Circle at the site of Rampart Canyon, would have created a lake roughly the size of Lake Erie. I'll read that again because it's very poorly worded. A proposal to damn this river by some measures, north America's third longest, three hundred miles downstream from the town of Circle at the site of ramp Canyon, would have created a lake roughly the size of Lake Erie. There's a lot of context cluesing there's guys, if you're not familiar with this whole controversy, you can pick out some pick out some clues there, and only one town called Oh, you're picking up what I'm putting down. Then Cal's staring at me. Brody's got an answer, Spencer's got an answer.
Speaker 7: I know a couple of circles. I don't know any Uh.
Speaker 1: How are we feeling on this side of the room, poor, poor, hung very hungry. M hmm, I'm feeling pretty hungry too. You got plans yet? Brody's got an answer, Brody's got his board down. Annis is waiting on an answer. Cal's waiting on an answer.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm just gonna use this to apologize to the YouTube audience. It cuts up the wrong camera, and I think you just stared at my head for about ten seconds without.
Speaker 7: Hope.
Speaker 5: You enjoyed the view. You should be thanking you. You're a star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great break from Randall.
Speaker 2: Electric the I had a hair on the kid, I have a frame around it.
Speaker 3: If it was on it was referenced no minimum, then I think three times how handsome Phil was in the play. They kept talking about how good looking he was. I think they called them handsome. He was the love interest.
Speaker 5: Can't teach that well.
Speaker 6: I think we need to set this up. How would you rate the other people on stage?
Speaker 3: This is how they described him. When Phil entered the stage, every character was swooning. Uh they were really there was the energy changed in the theater.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of is that how your normal life is?
Speaker 7: Phil?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, it's like when he walks into the podcast.
Speaker 8: That's my burden to bear. People constantly putting frames around my hair.
Speaker 1: I'm going to help fill out here and change the subject.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Cory answer, yep, why don't we reveal our answers? We do have a correct answer in the.
Speaker 5: Room, can we?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, yeah, I just wanted to set up that suspense, got it? This is yeah. Brian the Butcher says Missouri. Hunter says Missouri, Corey says Columbia, Spencer says Yellowstone, Brody says Colorado, cal has a blank board, Carinn has a crossed out answer, and Yannis says the Yukon. The correct answer is the Yukon River. First first put forth by the Army Corps of Engineers in nineteen fifty four, The highly controversial proposal to damn the Yukon at Rampart Canyon or quote the narrows entailed to five hundred and thirty foot high and four thousand, seven hundred foot long structure. Boosters, including most prominently US Senator Ernest Groening, hoped it would provide enough cheap electricity to attract industry to Alaska, and if completed, the reservoir would have been the world's largest man made body of water, at an estimated two hundred and seventy miles long and eighty miles wide. Hunters and anglers from across the country were among the most outspoken critics of the idea, as it would have flooded the slews and marshes that make the Yukon Flats one of the most productive waterfowl breeding grounds in North America. Lake Erie, Yeah, so that was a clue. There's not a lot of places you could put a lake the size of Lake Erie without flood and some stuff.
Speaker 2: By what measure is the Yukon River the third.
Speaker 1: Largest there's volume at length length yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well you changed the wording of the question since you sent me this email, so that's partially my fault too.
Speaker 1: No, Phil, it's my fault. I feel this has all been pretty scattershot and I haven't been as communicator. I haven't been as communicative with you.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It started off great, it's kind of it's unraveling. This is great.
Speaker 1: I think, I think, I think I'm a great.
Speaker 7: Time I've been in your seat. It's a lot of work to put this together.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was planning on doing it all yesterday and pull yourself together right fell apart? Phil, We've now we've now been through five questions. We're halfway through our game of trivia. Can we have a score update please?
Speaker 5: Oh I'd love to.
Speaker 8: We've got Cory and Corinne with zero points. They'll they'll get there. Then we've got Hunter, Cal and Brian all with one point apiece. Brody has two and tied up in first place, our Spencer and Giannis with three points.
Speaker 7: This is by far and away the worst game I've ever played.
Speaker 1: I feel so congratula, Cal, I got I got a couple coming up for you.
Speaker 5: That pressures on.
Speaker 7: Do you have a golf phone for Brian?
Speaker 1: There's there's bone coming later, Big old bone coming later, probably a family show. No, no, please please. Question six is in the category of cooking. This term refers to the intramuscular fat content in a cut of meat and is one of the criteria for us d A grading. This term refers to the intramuscular fat content in a cut of meat and is one of the criteria for us DA grading. We've got some answers in the room.
Speaker 6: Cow feel good, feel better.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get one of those out there in the world, especially after you threw a But it's also one of those that it can you know, if you got the brain blockage, you could stump you. You could stump you.
Speaker 3: Randall, tell folks about the question that you wanted to do. That was some movie reference with a bumper stick Oh, yeah, you thought it was too obscure. Yeah, the mask the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't, I can't, it's it's not well. I could ask the question, are you familiar with a film where the character says he's got a bumper sticker on his truck. He's he'd already rather be bow hunting. Do you know this movie? Nope? Yes, And I wouldn't get it. I was gonna play this clip. It's one of my favorite clips. Are we all done with the movies? Kicking and screaming? It's a Noah bombback film. Yeah, And they're getting to an argument about a parking spot and the guy's girlfriend gets out of the truck to yell at the man who's taken her spot, and the character goes, I don't think we should be doing this. He says, he'd already rather be bow hunting. Let's just leave him alone. Zero, We've got answers in the room. Ryan, the butcher says marbling. Hunter says marbling, Corey's blank, Spencer marbling, Brody marbling, Cal marbling, Karen marbling, Yannis marbling. The correct answer is marbling.
Speaker 5: It's not as much fun when everybody gets on.
Speaker 1: Well, Corey didn't get it.
Speaker 3: It's actually more fun.
Speaker 1: Don't put those vibes.
Speaker 3: Cal said, is not as much fun if everyone gets it's a Corey got it wrong.
Speaker 1: It's more fun.
Speaker 2: A tough one to miss for the new nickname.
Speaker 9: According to the in the final naw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't even make that connection that that could have been your bone. But I got another one.
Speaker 5: For you, okay.
Speaker 1: According to Texas, a and m Agro Life Extension Service. Marbling is the intermingling or dispersion of fat within the lean. The minimum degree of marbling required for carcasses to be graded prime is slightly abundant.
Speaker 3: It's good that narrows it down.
Speaker 1: There are all these great descriptors that coincide with the different gradations, and they go from like abundant, moderately abundant, slightly abundant, and they keep going down. And I was just so tickled by something being slightly abundant. It was just such a fun.
Speaker 3: Is there any wild game that is good marbling?
Speaker 7: Wild pigs?
Speaker 1: Pigs?
Speaker 6: I've seen the marbling in sheep. Maybe bears and muskos.
Speaker 7: Yeah, black bears for sure.
Speaker 3: No, guy, look like they'd have good marbling. But I've never been into one.
Speaker 7: Did not.
Speaker 1: Question seven. I don't have a category for this one, but it could be under gear order these cartridges from smallest to largest by bullet diameter.
Speaker 2: Oh, can I use my calculator?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: No, from from what to what?
Speaker 1: From all us to largest by bullet diameter. We have a three thirty eight Winchester Magnum three seventy five h and h an eight milimeter Remington magnum and a nine to three by sixty two Mauser.
Speaker 3: What's so funny?
Speaker 7: Randall?
Speaker 2: The smallest and largest, smallest, the largest.
Speaker 7: I don't know how I feel about this question.
Speaker 1: Why I just said, I don't know what.
Speaker 7: But are you not think about it?
Speaker 1: You're not happy about it? Or you're not sure if you're happier, because.
Speaker 7: I'm a little perplexed right now.
Speaker 1: A lot of numbers scrolling around folks heads. Some Coren's got her calculator out. I'm only joking, only joking, furiously scribbling. Ah, there's such.
Speaker 4: A guess.
Speaker 1: Clock is ticking. Brody's doing the thing where he gets down low and puts his hand over his hat and covers his face with the board.
Speaker 3: That's a textbook.
Speaker 1: That's textbook Brody for me.
Speaker 3: Randall couldn't write this whole episode yesterday because he killed a big giant bull.
Speaker 1: And not a big giant bowl, but big enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: I was gonna do all of this preparation that has been evidently absent yesterday afternoon. But I shot a bull at eight in the morning and got home well after dark, and then I woke up at two thirty and I just thought about trivia until four thirty, and then I got up and just sat there staring at the screen.
Speaker 3: That's prep Randall's just thinking about the thing.
Speaker 1: I was surprised that you email so late.
Speaker 3: Well, I had a similar thing. I was like, I got to get this to Randall before Monday, and so then I was up late last night.
Speaker 1: I'm in bed by nine.
Speaker 5: Just so you didn't how many grizzly bears did you see?
Speaker 1: Saw two grizzly bears and heard one in the middle of the night when I jumped out of my tent to go to the bathroom, go and run off to the trees and break a bunch of stuff. Really, yeah, it was. It was not a I turned on the longest movie I had on my phone and just let it play noise after that, Jurassic World Dominion two hours and forty four minutes.
Speaker 5: And in Distress.
Speaker 1: Well that's you know. Someone pointed that out to me. They're like, the last movie I'd want to watch is people being chased by a giant beast. And I said, it didn't even occur to me. I I just looked at what Amazon, you know, the automatic downloads, and two hours and forty four minutes I said, I'm just going to play this and turn the volume up and lay there in my bag and stare at the tent. So that was that was my Saturday night.
Speaker 3: I feel like one of the Draft movies they like feed them sheep, so you could have had like sheep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first Jurassic Park they feed they feed a goat, yeah, goat to a tyrannosaur. But they also feed a cow to the velociraptors. That's when doctor Allen Grant says, you reading velociraptors or something like that. Yeah, there's that very dramatic opening scene. And do we have our answers? My sorry, my computer run just why don't we turn our answers over here? Wow? That is just calculus. I don't I think that's an answer, just simply intended disregard. Oh oh, I see you've listed them? Yes, eight millimeter? Can we Yeah? Sorry, Phil, I didn't.
Speaker 8: I didn't put letters down.
Speaker 1: I will do? Will you do? You do? You You're gonna have to keep track of this, that's fine. Brian the Butcher says eight millimeter, three thirty eight, three seventy five nine three by sixty two. Hunter says three thirty eight eight millimeter nine three by sixty two three seventy five. Corey says nine three by sixty two, eight millimeter three thirty eight three seventy five. Spencer says eight millimeter three thirty eight three seventy five, nine three by sixty two. I feel like I'm recounting orders at a restaurant. Or we can tell we get it right, Brody. Brody says eight milimeter three thirty eight nine three by sixty two three seventy five. Cow says eight millimeter three thirty eight three seventy five, nine three by sixty two. Corin says nine three by sixty two three thirty eight three seventy five, eight millimeter. Giannis is eight millimeters nine three three thirty eight three seventy five.
Speaker 5: Are you having fun?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: I was planning on just going.
Speaker 9: C A dB The correct answer, no, would you like? Sorry, Randell, it's not just the time we need to Okay, keep going. The correct answer is C A B D dB.
Speaker 8: Ady got it right. Brody's the only one who got it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh, the zero point three got us.
Speaker 7: Can you read the numbers? C A B D.
Speaker 2: Four eight millimeters the smallest Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eight mili. Sorry, because of all these numbers, the correct answer is C A dB that's eight milimeter Remington Magnum three third eight, Winchester Magnum nine three by sixty two Mauser and three seventy five eh and H.
Speaker 2: What is the diameter on a non none three bout sixty two Mauser?
Speaker 1: H close to seventy point close? It's point three sixty six point three sixty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, so I knew a seven millimeter was a point two eighty four.
Speaker 7: Every millimeter's like.
Speaker 3: Four, like the equivalent of four.
Speaker 2: I got four point something here, So point something.
Speaker 1: Three thirty eight is an eight six, so like an eight six blackout, and then an eight millimeters three two three like a three twenty five wisdom. So if you knew one or more of those, you could have sort of played around and fudged the numbers. My best friend, Christian Hughes, had a Winchester Model seventy and nine point three by sixty two mileser stolen from his home in Seattle. It never turned up, but a handgun that was taken in the same robbery was returned to him by the Seattle Police Department after it was used in court as evidence in a homicide trial.
Speaker 3: Oh, did he keep it?
Speaker 1: He sold it. He sold it because he thought it was weird. And then the guy that bought it was like, that's he was like kind of into it, kind of like war relics or something that was pretty strange.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that was I think I had hold on to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had a whole cabinet full of guns. These people broke into his house and they rolled it down the stairs and knocked out his front door with the cabinet and put it in the back of a Honda court and drove it.
Speaker 7: Seems odd his neighbor.
Speaker 1: His neighbor watched the whole was unlocked. It's crazy. But you came up with.
Speaker 6: This when you were going through the SAMI book, right, You're like, oh, there's my reloading.
Speaker 1: No, no, I always I think it's fun to memorize the what's what from metric to to standard?
Speaker 7: I agree.
Speaker 3: Did you know you had that brody or was any of that guessing?
Speaker 1: No? I know, I think I think cartridges and all that stuff is ripe for trivia. Question eight comes to us in the category of fishing. This fishing equipment manufacturer got its name when it's Swedish predecessor ab or Fabricin. Sorry, ab Or Fabricin didn't want to throw anyone off, which translates to Watch Factory LLC merged with its US based distributor.
Speaker 5: What that's the question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, question?
Speaker 7: What's question eight?
Speaker 1: Now this fishing equipment manufacturer got its name when it's Swedish predecessor ab Or Fabricin, which translates to Watch Factory LLC merged with its US based distributor.
Speaker 3: Brody, you got this?
Speaker 1: We have an answer from Brody. Everybody else's you do?
Speaker 5: Brody?
Speaker 7: What part of it? Did you know?
Speaker 1: All of it?
Speaker 3: You knew it right away?
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 4: But I could flip it over and I could look like a real ass.
Speaker 1: I guess. Oh, Brodie, I feel confident. I think he got it. I didn't know you were going to be here, otherwise I would.
Speaker 3: Have wasn't supposed you wouldn't ask this question.
Speaker 1: Well, it's one thing to come up with trivia, and then as you're reading the questions, you have a sense of like who's doing well and who might you know?
Speaker 4: Like, as Spencer, I want to host sometime, can I hope for sure?
Speaker 1: It's like it's like you know, selecting your picture based on who's up at bat right.
Speaker 3: That's a good.
Speaker 1: This fishing equipment manufacturer got its name when it's Swedish predecessor ab Or Fabricn, which translates to watch factory LLC merged with its us. Let's flip the boards over, folks.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: The The answer was sort of in the question ab oh uh, let's go around the room, Penn International Hunter, Blank, Corey Shakespeare, Spencer, Abu, Garcia, Cal's already erased, and Karen's turned her born over and Gianna says Shimano. Shamano, Shimano, thank you.
Speaker 7: How's that feel? Rand?
Speaker 1: It's good, you know, it's good. I'm just I was getting ahead of myself. I'm all flustered because I did the thing in the wrong order again, and so.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: He appreciates me.
Speaker 1: Ab Or Fabricin was founded in nineteen twenty one as a manufacturer of precision time pieces and various instruments, including taxi cab meters. Two decades later, they began to produce fishing reels, as the founder's son was an enthusiastic angler. So that's the Abu. Where do we get Garcia In the nineteen fifties, the New York based Garcia Corporation began to import and market Abu reels, including the signature Ambassador bake Casting, which was introduced at the New York World's Fair in nineteen fifty four. Abu acquired the Garcia Corporation in nineteen eighty, at which point the iconic brand name stuck.
Speaker 5: Is there still a World's Fair?
Speaker 1: That's great Chicago?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Well that's like, well, it used to rotate every Yeah, it used to rotate every Now that's I'll be honest, that's one area of knowledge that completely eludes me. I find World's Fair is to be very curious.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Start read that book The Death in the White City.
Speaker 1: Yeah whatever, yea, I used to live in that neighborhood, Hide Park. Yeah uh yeah. I actually didn't know. When I was coming up with this question, I just thought, I have no idea where Abu Garcia comes from. And I looked it up, and I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 4: My dad's got a couple old ambassadors, good famous reel, good good.
Speaker 5: What does that have to do the Ambassador?
Speaker 7: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, ab or fabric and as we all know, Abu. That's that's the end, Phil, Can we have a score update? That's question eight. It's time for an update.
Speaker 8: That's some good men. Yeah, it's a way to remember. We've got Corey, Kouran, Hunter, Call, and Bryan are all eliminated from the running, but we have Spencer Yannis with four points apiece, and then in first place with five is Brody person?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, it's anybody's game still with two questions left. Question nine comes to us in the category of cooking. This type of pepper, often used as a filling and stuffed green olives, lends its name to both a loaf style lunch meat as well as a tangy cheese spread found on one of Augusta National Golf Club's most iconic concession items a.
Speaker 6: Little earlier in the lineup. Yeah, made us feel a little better.
Speaker 1: You know what. I planned to reorder my questions to sort of account for the difficult of each, but then uh, I had to send it to Phil, and I just ran out of time to do that. Then you didn't. Yeah, yeah, seems like we've all got it. Why don't we flip the boards over? You're all right, it's pimento. This was the only golf related question I could think of. Often confused with cherry peppers. Pimentos are large, red, heart shaped chili peppers and the namesake of both pimento loaf and pimento cheese. According to Taste of the South magazine, the pimento cheese sandwich at the Masters has become as famous as the tournament's green trophy blazers. If you'd like to put a wild spin on this is, watch this one. If you'd like to put a wild spin on this Southern staple, you can find Lucas Leaf's recipe for fish sliders with pimento cheese at the meat eater dot com. Have you had a pimento cheese sandwich at the Masters?
Speaker 2: I have? Yes, delicious.
Speaker 3: What's the verdict?
Speaker 5: Go, Yeah, they're right, They're great.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call them more famous than the actual Green Jacket.
Speaker 1: I think that's a little bit as well the South magazine.
Speaker 2: I would think someone who came up with the pimento cheese sandwich is probably who made that proclamation.
Speaker 1: Could be a dollar fifty.
Speaker 2: I'd like to know which one's been around longer, the pimento cheese sandwich or the Green Jacket. The Green Jacket, Green jacket is nineteen thirties Bobby.
Speaker 1: Jones, Pimento cheese sand which got.
Speaker 2: To be earlier than that.
Speaker 5: I would think Pimeno cheese makes a good burger too.
Speaker 8: When I asked you about this Friday, I was totally was trying to think, Okay, what might he ask?
Speaker 7: And I thought, maybe he'll do a birdie is one under eagle?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 7: What would hold next? What's next?
Speaker 3: It's the bird with the largest wingspan in North America. This came from the board game.
Speaker 1: Oh that brilliant.
Speaker 3: We had this question in the board game.
Speaker 1: That would have been brilliant.
Speaker 7: I don't know the answer.
Speaker 3: You would never get one of these y albatros.
Speaker 1: David Chang recommends putting the I believe the chicken sandwich and the mental cheese sandwich together.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Master's concessions are legendary.
Speaker 5: I'm going are you there's your chief too.
Speaker 1: It's true that all of the food is wrapped in green papers. That's all it's so if it goes on the ground, the cameras don't pick it up. Looks like but but I mean the jackets are green.
Speaker 2: Too, and that's a bird noises piped in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the theories are wild, Like, have you ever seen a squirrel on the bird?
Speaker 7: A squirrel?
Speaker 4: They should pipe in some wild turkey gobbles?
Speaker 1: Nice touch? Uh, since everybody got that right. I don't think our leader board has changed much, Phil, But if I'm wrong.
Speaker 8: Please tell nope. We've got Joanniston Spencer with five, Brody with six. Brody's got to slip up and they've got to Oh, that'd be fully together.
Speaker 1: That'd be fun. Question ten comes to us in the category of hunting. Which twentieth entry US president shot his first deer at the Texas ranch of his running mate only nine days after his election?
Speaker 3: M h, it's a fun question.
Speaker 8: That's a good one, Randall, Thanks Phil, running me.
Speaker 1: Mhm. A lot of a lot of sort of hms and haws, maybe some breakthroughs, some revelations and Cal's furrowing his eyebrows and I don't you know this, Brody, I feel pretty good. The last board is Krims thinking, do I feel good? Brody's Brody seems to have been feeling good and now no longer is certain.
Speaker 3: I don't think I know my running mates well enough?
Speaker 1: Are mhm? He's doing the thing again?
Speaker 4: Is everyone done? I'll make it interesting Let's turn him over.
Speaker 1: Let's turn him over. The butcher says John F. Kennedy. Hunter says w. Corey says Bush. Senior Spencer says Bush. Brody says JFK. Cal says George W. Corienn says Ronald Reagan. Jannis says George Bush. There is a correct answer in the room. It's John F. Kennedy.
Speaker 3: Bro Do you know Lyn.
Speaker 1: According to William Manchester's nineteen sixty seven book Death of a President, Lyndon Johnson brought the mount of the Buck to the White House and insisted it be displayed in the Oval Office. Now, whether or not JFK took to the experience remains a point of tension. Relying on interviews with Jacqueline Kennedy, Manchester maintained that Kennedy was haunted by the memory of shooting the deer. Upon hearing this version of events, LBJ was recorded as saying, forcing the poor man to go deer hunting. Hell, he not only killed one deer, he insisted on killing a second.
Speaker 3: I like that version.
Speaker 5: I like that version too.
Speaker 1: I do too, I do too. No need for a tiebreaker. I believe Brody is our champion.
Speaker 3: Two point win he had.
Speaker 5: Can we hear the tiebreaker?
Speaker 7: How many time?
Speaker 1: Let's throw it out there.
Speaker 7: Did I go to beat?
Speaker 5: This was a pretty long episode.
Speaker 1: It was good of our one hundred and fifty four national forests. How many begin with the letter s.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow, wow.
Speaker 3: Sequoia seqo way off.
Speaker 1: I'm looking for a number. The answer is nineteen.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 1: Brody, as today's champion, I congret well, you're today's champion. I just phrased that incorrectly, so it sounded as if I had won. But as today's champion, you can give five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of your choosing.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you won?
Speaker 1: Rand You know it went better than I thought. Randall, you did great. It's gonna take a day or two for me to fully process, and then I'm gonna listen and read all the time.
Speaker 3: You're very entertainment.
Speaker 1: Thanks Brody. I'm trying to bring it. Where would you like the money to go to?
Speaker 8: Brody?
Speaker 4: We just got off a suite today Youth Hunt Montana Youth Hunt for mule Deer.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna do the Mule Deer Foundation timely wonderful, Yes, the Meal Deer Foundation. Thanks you. I assume Spencer. It says here in my notes now that I'm supposed to throw it to you to plug the tournament which comes next week.
Speaker 3: Next week, it's my favorite stretch of the year. We have four episode. It's the Meet Eater Trivia Tournament. We're going to crown a champion of meat Eater Trivia for twenty twenty three. We start with twenty players. By the end of it, we have one person who gets their name on the plaque that's coming up. We have two qualifying episodes followed by two championship episodes. The championship is a two part episode. I'm very excited. Please go listen.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, Thanks Gang, this was fun.
Speaker 3: Brandon, very good you