Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome into a Monday edition of Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: Yeah boy, going solo all week.
Speaker 2: John Harrison Football Analysts sideline reporter as Mark gets some R and R this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got plenty for you throughout the week.
Speaker 2: We've got all these players interviews that we had media days, so we're gonna hear a few of those today and we're gonna add in and where are they now? With Anthony Hill, I thought when the Hill was coming out of an Cy State, I was before you I even knew he's coming to Texans.
Speaker 1: I was like, that dude can play.
Speaker 2: And then the injuries as they have at the tight end position have left their mark for a lot of tight ends. But Anthony Hill, as aware are they now, was exceptional and we'll have him with Drew Dory a little later in the show. Plus we've got Davis Mills tonight. It's fun to catch up with Davis. I actually was out for dinner the other night with my wife and kids and just sitting there and look over, I'm like, Hey, that's Davis, same place I was, So I guess I must be hanging out with some pretty good places to have the same place as Davis Mills.
Speaker 1: That was kind of fun.
Speaker 2: But Davis will be by in a little bit with a good time talking to him about how the quarterback room has changed, what he's looking forward to do in twenty twenty three. Thinks he's learned in the two years he's been in this city and what has he been learning from Bobby Slowck and this Texans offense. I don't even want to refer to it as the forty nine ers offense anymore. It's a Texans offense. It's a Bobby Slowic run offense with elements, of course from the forty nine ers, but hopefully coach Slowank's gonna make it his own and Davis mill speaks to that as well. But we're gonna kick off the show with the guy that when he signed with the Texans, I was thrilled with the caveat that's come with a lot of these free agents, and that is if he's healthy. If he's healthy, Denzel Perriman can be an absolute baller. He can run sideline to sideline, make plays. His speed is it's wow. I did a Tellstrader of it's only one play, but it's just it's showing you that speed I can't.
Speaker 1: I think it was the Broncos.
Speaker 2: It was a zone play he ran, he ran through on a backside and tackled it for a loss before the play.
Speaker 1: Even had any chance of developing. I mean, it was incredible.
Speaker 2: And that's what you're gonna get with Denzel Perryman if he's healthy. And when he is healthy, I think this linebacking corps can be deep. I think can be very talented. You bring in Denzel perim You adam to Christian Kirks, he was already here. You adam to Christian Harris, who I think has got an opportunity to be one of the most important Texans on this team. You adam to Jake Hansen, who he had on I think a couple of nights ago.
Speaker 1: Jake I thought had a great end of the season. In twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: You bring back Neville Hewitt, You signed Corey Littleton, but then you signed Denzel Perriman and he could be the game changer on this run defensive run defense that has been Let's be honest, it's been off for the last couple of years, and that's got a change and Denzel Perramid's gonna do everything possible to make that better. And he started by coming in studio with Mark and I and discussing well, coming to Houston, his background, staying healthy. He was a really fun guy to talk to you, and of course, you know, we had to talk about the you from the fact that Mark's well, he's a hurricane and Denzel's arct kind of fell left out a little bit.
Speaker 1: But well you'll hear what happens here with Denzel Paraman.
Speaker 3: Denzel Peramid joining us in the hun Day Texans Radio studio. Welcome to Houston.
Speaker 4: How's it going, man?
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me, and it's going. It's going great man.
Speaker 3: Than all right, So, how's the adjustment been to being part of this organization? You're here and we're really happy to have you here, being around Tomko, being around Matt Burke, the entire staff.
Speaker 4: What's it been like for you?
Speaker 6: I'm an adjustment has been been quite an adjustment. I would say the weather to start with, It's been a minute since I've been you know, in this humidity. Yeah, I can't say that, but you know, just the energy, you know, being around the guys. Coach Demco I tell him all the time, you know, I feel like, you know, he still wants to play.
Speaker 5: You know, that's how much the.
Speaker 6: Energy you know, he cares, you know, around and you know everybody just feeds off of it.
Speaker 2: Denzil, I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for everything, but what was kind of the main couple of reasons for you to pick Houston to come here to play for the Texans?
Speaker 6: Well, honestly, it is because you know, they were one of the teams that, you know, really to give me an opportunity, you know, me coming off my shoulder surgery. They were, you know, one of the teams that was, you know, real adamant about you know, getting me on and you know, uh, you know, actually give me a deal.
Speaker 5: So so did it?
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people sometimes well they love me, I'm gonna love them. Maybe it wasn't quite like that, But just the fact that they looked at you and said, we know you can still play.
Speaker 1: We believe in you. How much did that matter to you and the whole decision making process.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think for any human I would say, you know, this is bigger than football, you know, just somebody believing in you in general. H You know that that that was a big step and you know I took it as you know, bigger than football. You know, you know what I've been through. You know, he just turned on the film. You know, they see what I can do, and you know that's my approach to it.
Speaker 3: Do you feel back to the weather here for a moment, Not that this is the most important topic in the world, but being down in Miami and you played high school ball in Miami as well.
Speaker 4: What's the difference so far?
Speaker 3: Now we haven't hit the really big stuff yet, although it's getting there. What do you think the difference is so far between South Florida humidity and this.
Speaker 6: I would say probably just a mindset. Is probably just a mindset. I mean, I'm pretty sure you know, Houston have a lot of different attractions, but you know South Florida, you know you can just stop whatever you're doing is just go to the beach or you know, you can get distracted real quick down there. But I say, it's just the mindset with when it comes.
Speaker 3: To but I'm at the heat specifically, I don't know, man, they're kind of the same to me, they're kind of the same.
Speaker 5: Like I said, it's been from Florida, been for Miami.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Man, hell is hell wherever you are. Man, when it's hot like this, that's what it feels like.
Speaker 3: A breeze in Miami over here every now and there and then every now and again.
Speaker 2: Then Zel, For for people that haven't seen you play, market, I've seen you play a lot over the years we've been there seeing.
Speaker 1: You live play.
Speaker 2: What are the Texans getting a dense hel peram and what can a fan look forward to in watching you play?
Speaker 5: Well, the fans are going to get a very physical player. I can't say that.
Speaker 6: I mean just that's just the nature I've been then and uh, you know, I know I have a history of injury, is just because of you know, the way I play.
Speaker 5: But they're going to get a leader, you know.
Speaker 6: I try to lead, you know, vocally, but more you know, by an example than anything. They're going to get a guy that's going to give it their all, you know, every Sunday. And you know I'm really going to be available every Sunday.
Speaker 3: You've been in the league for a while, Denzel, How have you changed the way you take care of yourself? Your body, nutrition and all of that has that evolved over time?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: It was a blessed year. Nine for me, so I was Yeah. I would say over the years, I had to change up my diet. You know what I put in my body, you know, the rest, the massages, stretching, all that good stuff like that literally plays a role. I went from two fifty to now down like two twenty five to twenty whoa wow, you were playing at two fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeahah.
Speaker 6: When I first got in the league, I was two fifty. Now I'm like good to twenty five?
Speaker 4: Did you have to change that?
Speaker 3: Not only because of injury, but because of the way linebackers are playing these days?
Speaker 6: Both of those play the role, I would say more so, like with myself, I felt like a lot of injuries that I did have, you know, like soft tissue injuries, a little small things, and I know my weight.
Speaker 1: Did play you know, roll in that Denzil.
Speaker 2: I know when we've talked to players that have been seasoned, they've been around a little bit. Sometimes when I ask me this question, they kind of look at me and like, you know, I got to do my thing. But do you have any kind of poll or feel for being kind of a mentor to guys?
Speaker 1: I mean, you got a lot of young dudes in that linebacker room. I mean some guys. I mean obviously got rookies in there. You've got dudes that have been there for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's not a lot of experience in that linebacker room outside of you, Christian Kirksey, et cetera. I don't want to say that you feel compelled to help those guys, but do you feel there's some responsibility in some sense to share your knowledge of the game with those young guys so they can then pass it on to the next guy after that You kind of look at that and look at leadership that way.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 6: Of course, I can say with this style of defense, the game that we're playing. Out of the nine years I played seven in this game, Okay, So I think it's just in my nature, you know, to want to help out the younger guys like I know when I was younger guys, you know, looking towards the older guys know to help me out, and they did. So I don't feel like, you know, I don't have that. I got to do my thing, you not help the next guy out.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day.
Speaker 6: You know, we're all here on the same team. We're all you know, compete for the same thing with all the families. So I feel like when I'm helping out the next guy, I'm you know, kind of you know, I'm reteaching myself also and you know, just refreshing my brain. So you know, it's all just a learning curve. Like I said, I've been in the system for a while and I'm still you know, learning new things.
Speaker 3: Also, Denzel, you went to Coral Gables High School? Yes, Frank or he went there a long time ago. Yeah, but do you how well do you know him?
Speaker 4: He's from the U two. I mean, I know it's big fraternity.
Speaker 3: So he played forever in this league, which was so impressive to me. How he was the last one from that one team to make it as long as he.
Speaker 5: Did, got just so funny story.
Speaker 6: Frank Gore played with my older brother in the high school, and I played with Frank girl's younger cousin growing up football wise, so kind of grew up in the same neighborhood. And I remember when I was coming out, you know, for you know the pros, uh, you know, to come by and train all that good stuff. Frank would also train at University of Miami. And we will also compete, you know in that uh you know, in that little phase and you know, just playing against him was I would say it was a star gaze of the moment for me because I remember watching him in high school, you know, playing with my older brother, you know, just like now I'm playing against you, you know in the you know, in the big time, in the big league. So man, yeah, like you said, man, he played, he played a while and uh just like his worth ethic and you know, his his mindset, you know, attacking the game.
Speaker 5: It's one to follow the bands.
Speaker 2: With you, all right, Benjiel I've been around Mark for almost ten years now and he's not been able to explain this to me. So maybe you can. I hear this all the time, and we've heard this all the time. It's a Canes thing. You wouldn't understand. Help me understand. What is it about the you? What is it about the University of Miami.
Speaker 6: It's it's really it's really a Cane's thing, man, I know, like I know it sounds so cliche, but it's really like a cane thing. Like you have to you know, be you know in those meeting rooms, you have to be in the locker room.
Speaker 5: You have to.
Speaker 6: You know, he's not there anymore, but you had to deal with coach sways. You had to go on Green Tree like you know, it's really like a cane's thing. And I would say, you know, for me when I was there, you know, it was just you know, continue that legacy. You know that those guys you know, building laid the platform down for great explanation.
Speaker 4: Denzelt ex a love for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thank you, man. I gotta say I got that. I got the handshake thing down. Man. It's good emphasis at the end to let you know.
Speaker 2: The interviews over so I give those guys a good handshaking bro hug before they leave. It was good catching up with Denzel Perriman didn't go through OTA's you know, still rehabbing and getting himself ready. Knows he's gonna be ready for spring training. But man, you talk about a guy in shape and ready to roll, Denzel Perriman is that guy. And as he walked into studio, I was like, do you go to Northwestern? And he was like no, No, and Miami Northwestern High school.
Speaker 1: Man. Those Miami guys very provincial about their high schools. I should have known him better than to have screwed that one up.
Speaker 2: I should know he didn't go to Northwestern, But either way, it was great to have Denzel Perryman in with us to kick off this show. Next the aforementioned Davis Mills. Yeah, we had a great time talking with Davis and Mark and I will meet with him next right here when Texans All Access. Welcome back to this Monday initiative Texans All Access from the Hyundai Texans Radio studio.
Speaker 1: I am John Harris.
Speaker 2: Football On All a sideline reporter, and I'm kind of flying solo this week, but because we had so many interviews with his players during media days at the beginning of last week, actually a week ago, on this day, we just they were in and out.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Kendall Sheffield. Hi, I'm Davis Mills. Hi, I'm Denzel Perrman. I mean, they were just just going back and forth.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: It was great because, well, you know, you get to the desert and you got to have good things to talk about, and it's good to talk about these players with these players, and one of those is Davis Mills.
Speaker 1: We met with him.
Speaker 2: Obviously for the last three years, the last couple of years, in particular last year a tough one. He ended twenty twenty one, we know very well twenty twenty two didn't go the way that Davis probably wanted. There were some throws I'm sure he probably wanted to have back and you know, just got his feet wet all year long. But the drafting of c J. Stroud, I think a lot of people look at c J. Strott to think, Wow, he's gonna be the starter. So what's the role of Davis Mills. I mean, John McClain has talked about I'm being traded.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I still think there's some good football and Davis Mills, and I think this offense will.
Speaker 1: Help him going forward. I still think there's something there for sure.
Speaker 2: And we talked about a lot of those things with the man himself, Davis Mills.
Speaker 1: Who's Mark, Me and Davis right now.
Speaker 3: Davis Mills joining us in a hunday Texans radio studio.
Speaker 4: Davis, thanks to lot for being with us. How's it going, It's going great.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me all.
Speaker 3: Right, good to have you. So, how's the off season going for you so far? It's a new system, you know, here you are again, it's your third one, right as a pro third one.
Speaker 8: Now I feel like the off season that was flown by faster and faster every year i've been in it. Like you said, completely new system, new staff, new guys in the room. It's been exciting getting to know everybody picking up the new system. A lot of proven success across the league running this scheme, so I'm excited. I've already learned a lot and I'm looking forward to continue making those next steps.
Speaker 1: Dave's one of the things that Mark and I have talked about. People think voluntary OTAs, you know, conditioning all that stuff. It's voluntary two days and mini camp, et cetera.
Speaker 2: But because there's so little time before the first preseason game, we've started thinking that, Man, the's OT's are hugely important. Man, getting all this stuff down, all the verbiage, all the things that are different. There might be some elements that are the same from previous offense you've been in. But how important has that part been to try and get all that language and verbiage down before you come back for training camp Because you got hit it running ether ten twelve days before we play New England? How important have these weeks been in the otaste to get all that down.
Speaker 8: Oh, I mean extremely important. I think we've already installed pretty much the whole offense. Obviously there's a couple of situational situational things that haven't gone in yet, but we'll go in towards training camp. But I mean if you don't come and take full advantage of these voluntary camp days and the whole offseason program, then I mean you're pretty far behind going into training camp in those preseason games. So we've been getting after it, putting in a lot of time. Obviously there's the hour rule, but yeah, you got to do a lot on your own to make sure you're prepared and come in every day and put your best foot forward.
Speaker 3: And how important is it to help out the other players too, because you've got to know a cold but also delivering it to all the receivers and everything. We talked to a couple of guys who said, sometimes you give them a little extra help leaving the huddle what they might ask for it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean that's kind of the onus of the quarterback with your job. Make sure you know everybody's position and what everybody's doing out on the field because one little slip up, I mean, the blame always comes back to the quarterbacks and to make sure everybody's on top of it and doing their job. But I think kind of having that perspective and taking on that responsibility makes you learn it better yourself when you can kind of get to the point where you can start teaching it to the other guys around you. I wouldn't say I'm fully there. I'm still obviously only say, ten weeks into the system, but I'm getting there, and I'm really picking it up, and I'm excited. It's nice having different guys in the quarterback room who are learning the system for the new the first time too, so we're all bouncing ideas off each other and making sure we're all on the same page moving forward.
Speaker 1: And Davis, you got guys option into the spectrum.
Speaker 2: You gotta guys were playing the NFL before, and you got a guy that's played a lot in the NFL before.
Speaker 1: What is each one of them? CJ. Stroud in case Keenum meant to you? What have you meant to them? The fact that you've been here they haven't, but they're coming in fresh looking at different things. How's it kind of been to have those two in the room with you?
Speaker 7: It's been great.
Speaker 8: Starting with Case, I think, I mean, he has a different perspective than I do. I've started twenty something games now, and I mean he's probably doubled that, if not more, played in a ton of games, been in the league for a long time, and he has a ton of built up experience that I mean, he's seen a lot, and it's nice being able to have somebody where you can ask questions too. And I mean he's been in the shoes, done what you're trying to do at a really high level, So he has a good perspective on a lot of things. He's been in a similar scheme back with Koubiak and just different offenses around the league, so he knows kind of what the teach the coaches are trying to teach and how to interpret that in our perspective. And then hej stepped in completely new offense for him. I don't even think he's really called huddle calls in college and in high school. So really seeing him step in and take that responsibility, and I mean he's sitting at full stride, very impressive. Seems like he's been doing it for years now, but I mean he's new to it, just like we are, and it's excited seeing his growth and just seeing him getting better and better each practice.
Speaker 3: What about some of the weapons you have Singletary now to work with Robert Woods, some of the other guys who are new to the arsenal.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean there's a lot. We have a lot of new guys, and I'm excited to kind of see how those guys come, come in the building and work every day. I think the vibe and the feeling around the locker room that we have a lot of great new players ready to kind of add add their own flavor to the offense, guys like Motor, Robert Noah Dalton. I mean, there's a ton of guys who bring a lot of different traits and to attack defenses, and we're excited to see what we can do once we get out on the field.
Speaker 2: Davis dimiko as hey coach who tucked a few of the guys, brought up the fact that he played before. He's been sitting literally in those shoes, wearing a Texans logo, being in his building. But what have you seen from Demico and what do you think he has meant to this organization thus far since joining in January?
Speaker 7: It's been great.
Speaker 8: I mean, have somebody who's walking in and has as much juice as him, and team meetings and out on the field, you just get a ton of respect for it. And knowing that he's been in your shoes, he's experienced some of the heat during training camp practices that we're going to have to go through. Boy, gives you a lot of respect. But also, I mean it makes it exciting. It's kind of a new wave of energy in the building around here, and I mean we're all excited to get get rolling once we get to the season.
Speaker 3: Davis Mills with us, what about this defense? What are you seeing from them? What could you tell the listeners about what we might expect from this Demiko Ryans, Matt Burke.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think it all starts up front with the defensive line. They're firing off the football. Can only have so much contact in these uh offseason practices, but I mean, I think they're taking it right up to that edge, and you can feel the energy they have on that side of the ball, flying flying around and having fun making plays.
Speaker 7: It's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been fun to watch you guys compete against one other in practice as you're going into your third year, Dause. I know it's not to training camp or not your third season, but do you feel and I would imagine probably tougher because you are learning something new, But do you feel the game slowing down for you at all? Like you're seeing things you know, they say that you know, oh quarterbacks, of the game slows down for them. Do you kind of sense that as you're going through OTA's in these practices.
Speaker 8: Definitely, I think kind of just even having the feeling of you've been there before. You it's not your first time walking in the building your rookie year, where it's you feel like you're being watched the whole entire time. Obviously, I mean, I'm keeping a chip on my shoulder playing with that same mindset where I mean every snap, every single tiny drill I'm doing, and individuals throughout practice, I feel like I have all eyes on me. There's any type of slip up at all, you never know when it could be your last snap. So I'm trying to take a full full advantage of every opportunity I have and continue kind of with that pressure in the mindset of taking advantage of everything and getting better at every every rep.
Speaker 4: All Right, so you got engaged.
Speaker 3: How involved are you in the planning process here for the wedding, Davis?
Speaker 4: Have you stepped aside? Are you being recruited to join in? How's that?
Speaker 8: I would like to say, I'm in control of most things in my life, but the wedding planning is something I've kind of passed off to my fiance.
Speaker 9: I trust entirely.
Speaker 8: That she's gonna make the right decisions.
Speaker 1: And that's a first down throw. That's exactly first connection right there.
Speaker 2: I mean that that would it would have if you would have said, yeah, you know, I'm in charge of this, we would have thought that, you know what.
Speaker 8: Maybe we haven't done the tastings yet, so maybe I'll have a little more call whatever she's what the menu items are going to be. But yeah, ultimately it's it's all, Uh, she's in control.
Speaker 4: Yep, whatever she wants, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Just don't shave your head before the wedding. It's almost if you don't do that, then you're okay. There's somebody that's room that did that and got in trouble.
Speaker 3: That would have been you because I didn't do it. There we go how much golf this offseason? Getting a little bit in. I know you have OTAs interfering with that, but what else?
Speaker 8: Played a lot immediately after the season February and March, and then flew back to Houston. Kind of My main focus has been learning, learning this offense, picking up the playbook. So I haven't had a ton of time to play.
Speaker 3: So if you and Fairbarn go out, is he giving you strokes? Or are you just saying we're going straight up here?
Speaker 8: My confidence tells me that I would like to play him straight up, but he'll end up beat me nine times out of ten.
Speaker 4: Who else is good on the team that we don't know about?
Speaker 8: It's been fun getting out there with k Case is good and you always hear that quarterbacks in the NFL are really good golfers, and he's one of those guys who has a pretty good golf game.
Speaker 3: Punters can be good too. But I don't think Cam plays, does he Cam?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 8: I don't think Cam plays weeks weeks plays a lot. Got out with him this past weekend. He's a good player, fairly inconsistent, but he's going to put together a string of good holes and take some money.
Speaker 4: Probably hits it a mile.
Speaker 2: What offensive lineman would be the best golfer. That's the biggest question. Which offensive lineman would be the best golfer.
Speaker 8: I think if you went and asked them, Titus would tell you he's the best, without probably going out there and proving it.
Speaker 4: But he's a quarterback.
Speaker 8: You if you gave him, I know, quarterback.
Speaker 7: In the past.
Speaker 8: But I think it's probably a toss up between Jimmy and Scott.
Speaker 4: Okay, makes sense. I think if Laramie put his mind to it. Yeah, you never know.
Speaker 3: Golf Davids, thanks a lot for joining us. Good luck to you, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was very sweet, David.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you stopping by hanging out with Mark and myself.
Speaker 1: Now we're gonna go in the way back machine.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go a little where are they now with former Texans tight end, former Ency State star Anthony Hill.
Speaker 1: That's next with Drew Doerty.
Speaker 2: Right here on Texans All Access, we go one final segment this Monday edition of Texans All Access.
Speaker 1: I'm your host, John Harris, Football and all the sideline reporter.
Speaker 2: And fortunately I wasn't here back when Antony Hill was drafted to be a Houston Texan and he didn't have the greatest careerest. Injuries really set him back, but he made a name for himself after his NFL career ended.
Speaker 1: Here's a little where are they Now.
Speaker 2: With Drew Doherty given the background on Anthony Hill in case you forgot, he.
Speaker 11: Was a two thousand and nine draft pick out of NC State, but he's a Houstonian well by way of Clearbrook High School, so he grew up in the area, went away to college in North Carolina, and then was drafted back in two thousand and nine by Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith, the general manager of the Texans. He joined a tight ends group that included really the two best in franchise history. You know when Daniels and Joel Dreesen and he immediately was on a winner. Nine to seven were those Texans his rookie year, and he has turned his post football career into a big time success. Like many of the guys that we've talked to on this podcast, he's doing well in his retirement and really he's not retired. He just retired from the game of football. He's not retired at all from the work world. But without further ado, please enjoy this brief conversation with Anthony Hill.
Speaker 9: Where are any of these days with Bronny? What's wrong?
Speaker 7: Man? Hey? First off, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 10: Definitely has been a been an awesome time right now. I'm currently I actually own a construction company here today. Got into construction soon as I finished playing back in twenty twelve is twenty thirteen. Got into construction, buying homes, flipping homes, buying apartment complexes, got into concrete with my dad and that kind of took off, and have been a part of some pretty decent sized projects throughout the city.
Speaker 11: Mister modesty here, I've been around you a time or two because we go out and we do events and we speak at various groups and whatnot. You have been involved in some pretty major projects.
Speaker 9: You're not just.
Speaker 11: Flipping houses, which is a big deal in and of itself. You're doing a lot more than that, Anthony.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, Yes, sir.
Speaker 10: You know I was giving a few chances by the the you know, definitely, the connections through the Texans has definitely helped me out throughout the city. And I see the Tellipson family had a friend, Trent Tellips, and he gave me a chance on the project over at Memorial Park where they put the two tunnels in those really large tunnels, and so that was one of our larger projects Port of Houston.
Speaker 7: We were at United Airlines.
Speaker 10: For about about five six years, and so yeah, that those are kind of our staples. That kind of was able to help us grow significantly in the concrete slash construction world.
Speaker 1: This is where are they now? With your dority and former Texan Anthony Hill.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I knew about the United Airlines one because I think the last time you and I were at a specific event, you know, speaking and doing a Q and A, that's what you were kind of immersed in. But I did not know about the Memorial Park one. I'm a former runner. I don't run as much anymore, but I used to run around that loop a lot in the late nine mid nineties, late nineties. Every time I come back, that's just an entirely transformed area. You guys are a big part of that. How exciting was that to see that just go from start to finish And it's not really finished ever, is it.
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 10: I don't think it'll be finished for some time. I mean technically it's finished, but I think it'll continue to grow. Yeah, over the years, that was awesome. That was a project that I got with me and my dad and then actually about just about as we were completing, my dad he actually end up passing away. So me finishing that project was a It was a huge accomplishment for me just to say, Okay, hey, look I finised a project.
Speaker 7: I know, I really made him proud.
Speaker 10: And just to just to see the project start as trees and woods and and you know, those guys are like, you know, hey, look we are We're tired of people getting smacked by cars from crossing the streets and different things like that. So we're going to have this huge tunnel and land bridges. And I didn't know that it would turn out so nice, but it's definitely a piece of work over there. So it was it was a huge blessing to be able to be a part of that one.
Speaker 11: It's where they now with Anthony Hill, and I mainly stayed on the trail so I didn't I didn't run the risk too often getting smacked by car. Way back in high school, every once in a while we'd veer off and go to basically Sabine Bridge from Amoral Park and turn around. Okay, so you're from this area, Clearbrook, you know, down sort of south in between Houston and Galveston. You grew up, You go to the NC State, you play there for a rounder in two thousand and nine. What was it like when you find out you get the call from the hometown team.
Speaker 7: Oh? Man, it was crazy. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 10: I actually, quote unquote I got sick during the draft, and so you know, I had this huge fishing trip plan before the draft because I was like, you know, I don't want to be around people.
Speaker 7: I'm going to go fishing, I'm gonna do all these other things.
Speaker 10: I'm going to go out to Galveston Bay and just kind of go catch some red fish and get away and I'll just have my phone handy.
Speaker 7: You know. Whatever. That didn't happen, that didn't go as planned.
Speaker 10: I think it was it could have been anxiety, but I don't but I don't want to say it. But yeah, I was in a hotel room sick, and then I got the phone call from a Houston and I'm like, who you know? You know, who is this call? And it was coach Kobiak. He was giving me a call. He said, Hey, man, I want you to come and play here. Family went nuts. You know, you know, we have a family divided. So I have half Cowboy fans. Yeah boo, yeah, we have Texans fans. And so my aunt and my dad actually they were they were hidden, hidden hands and they were in church actually, and so and so they were in church and they came back and they were like, you know, they've made a huge announcement over church, and you know, they all celebrated as the Cowboy fans were like, God, dank it, you know, you know, they were all pissed off. So but it was it was amazing, man, it was. It was amazing to come back home. I had been gone for six years going to to n C State and.
Speaker 9: So it was just hard grave before that the military counter.
Speaker 10: Yeah, definitely definitely went to the military and so just just a lot of structure and so was really away from home for yeah, five six years, and then to just be able to come back and be with my mother and sisters and really my whole family.
Speaker 7: So it was just it was great.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you come to a team with Owen Daniels at tight End old Reason, really good tight end as well. You come in the mix there too. What was that like you get to rookie minicamp. It's not like rookie minute camp O ta is kind of geting your feet wet.
Speaker 10: As a professional, it was you know, honestly, it was intimidating to start. I mean, od I I definitely had already known about him. Joel Drewson was a super solid player.
Speaker 7: Came in. Me and James Casey we get we get drafted in the same draft.
Speaker 10: So some really good guys, and so, you know, I mean, I was just kind of like very much so humbled to go from being the man at n C State to kind of being the last man on the totem pole, really trying to fight for a spot to actually play on Sundays. So it was just a very humbling experience. And I want to say, to start, I want to say, we had like seven or eight guys, you know, like seven or eight tight ends, and so.
Speaker 7: It was like it was just like tank, you know.
Speaker 10: I mean, we went from having two and three to having you know, five and six, then we had seven and eight, and it was it was a ton of guys in the room.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you would you joined the team that had been gone eight to eight the previous two seasons. You get there, and you're in that that class with Cushing, the first rounder, Barwin had a nice rookie season, Glover Quinn would go on to do fantastic things. You're in there, Bryce McKain. I mean, everybody kind of contributed. And then he had two rookie free agents in Arian and Tim Jamison. I mean everybody on that not roster, but on that rookie roster really wound up doing something at some point or another, didn't they.
Speaker 10: Yeah, definitely, And you know, I actually still communicate with a lot of those guys. Actually text Cushion like a couple of weeks ago, ask him about.
Speaker 7: His kids and little league football. Shoot.
Speaker 10: I did an event with Tim Jamison last week, a taste testing where we ate way.
Speaker 7: Too much dessert.
Speaker 9: There you go.
Speaker 10: So James Casey is coaching now, so he's always busy. So like we'll shoot each other text messages here and there. But a lot of those guys, we definitely still keep in contact. I see Cushing all the time. I think it was a close knit group. I think those those are bonds that will have from probably from here on.
Speaker 9: What was that rookie season? Like it was a weird year.
Speaker 11: You start out at home and you get Mark Sanchez in his first start against the Jets, and then everyone's thinking, oh, you got this, Texans will win this, and they blow the Texans doors off. But then you go to Tennessee and you literally all get in a fist fight with the Titans on the bench. But it's a fist fight of a game, just going back and forth. But Houston comes out victoria. It was a great game, one of the best games I've ever seen. And yeah, it was that whole year.
Speaker 7: Like for you, it was a roller coaster. I remember it.
Speaker 10: I definitely remember it, just you know, just trying to fight just to get on the field and just kind of seeing, you know, the ups and downs of you know, preseason, we're like, oh man, we're going to be pretty good. And then, like you say, we came in, we took a we took a hard l burst the Jets, and then we kind of had our ups and downs where we showed like just hey look we're really really good, and then we kind of we slunk it up a few times. I was able to learn that the NFL wasn't promised that hey, look anybody can win it, you know, any given Sunday just kind of learning. I think Ode ended up getting injured or something like that that season, and I ended up getting some more playing time than I got injured, and so it was, you know, it was just a just a roller coaster. So I was able to kind of learn, like, Okay, this is what the NFL is with you know what all these guys I've been talking.
Speaker 11: About five and three at the buy and then you come out of the buy, you lose four straight.
Speaker 9: You're you guys are five and seven?
Speaker 11: Yeah, and then you end with four straight wins and in the process, Arian Foster kind of comes out of the woodwork. Now it wasn't he didn't just get the job, and he wasn't the anointed the guy for the next season, but you saw some things down the stretcher. You also beat the Patriots to end the season, and for a few hours there was like Texans might be getting in the playoffs depending on what happens.
Speaker 9: It didn't. Yeah, that was finished, wasn't it?
Speaker 7: That really was.
Speaker 10: It was awesome to see Foster kind of come out of nowhere. He was always a really humble guy and I actually played with him in the All Star Game and he tore his hamstring on the first play, I think it was Pat maybe Pat White fumbled the ball and he went to pick it up and just kind of a freaky he just he just snapped his hamstring or something like that. So I was, you know, I didn't you know, I didn't think to see him again or anything like that. And then next thing you know, we were on the team again together. It's like, okay, well that was the guy that snapped his hamspring and then he for him to bounce back and just come out of nowhere.
Speaker 7: I thought that was awesome.
Speaker 2: It's where they now with former Texan and Clearbrook High School lom Anthony.
Speaker 1: Hill with Drew Dody.
Speaker 11: So you come to that team, Andre Johnson is on the offense with you, and I know you think Andre Johnson belongs in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 9: I do too.
Speaker 11: Most people listening to this also do. But explain to the morons out there that don't think Andre Johnson belongs to why does he belong in the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 7: Oh? Man, I think he. I definitely think he does.
Speaker 10: I mean he kind of carried a team whenever, you know, I mean, we were we were struggling, he'd always come through with that great catch with that Turkus catch that you never thought that anybody would be able to come through with. You have three guys on him, still still come catch the ball. I think I think he did a great job. He definitely deserves to be there. I do think that he'll end up there, just don't know when or what the heck is taking so long for him to get in there.
Speaker 7: So everybody's rooting for him. At least all the players are rooting for him. I know that much.
Speaker 9: You're you're so diplomatic, and you didn't call.
Speaker 7: Hey, look I might I might need those guys.
Speaker 11: So he was one leader on that team, another guy leadership wise who was massive.
Speaker 9: Damiko Ryans.
Speaker 11: Yeah, how excited were you to see when he got hired here?
Speaker 7: As the head was definitely excited to see. It's so excited.
Speaker 10: He was actually a guy that I really looked up to when I played. I would almost say he was the leader of the team when he was there, you know, the leader of the offense and the defense almost to see just the way he would work and the way he put it together, the way he was consistent. From the first day I met him till we were to practice what was that Tuesday.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 7: He was the same guy.
Speaker 10: So to see that even just going to church and look, I'm going to church early on Sunday and then going to the game, or I'm doing this, I'm doing that, you know, just he was so strategic and just so consistent that I really did appreciate the friendship that we actually had. And so to see him come back and to see him still be the same guy, still that big old smile, but still you can tell that he's about to get after someone's ass. And so yeah, definitely definitely want to just try and you know, I mean us as former players, we just want to support him as much as possible. It seems like he supports the guys that are played, and he's i mean, he's still the same guy. So definitely, I think everyone's excited about that, ready for the season to actually get here, you know, I mean, now we basketball is almost over with all sort stuff. You know, we're we're really eager, you know, like, hell, man, come on, let's get the same.
Speaker 11: Well, I know he said publicly right after that that day that you all were out there. It was you and probably twenty five thirty other guys used to play here, some with most with him, some before, some after it.
Speaker 9: He really appreciated it.
Speaker 11: He said that publicly, and then I was at an event with him yesterday and he reiterated that meant a lot to him. What did you see, not just with Demiko, but looking at practice, What did you see that kind of stood out to you earlier this week about these twenty twenty three texts here in June. I know you got to put that asterisk by things because there's no paths, there's no hitting.
Speaker 9: But what stood out to you so far?
Speaker 10: It just seems like there's a chip. There's a chip on the guy's shoulder. It looks like they have something to prove. I know, everyone's coming off of a season where we're kind of saying I could just win a couple more games. We just kind of there's not huge expectations, and he that's not this, that's not that. But I don't think that's what Demiko is going for. I don't think he's going for, Well, if we win two or three more games and we won.
Speaker 7: Last year, then that's a successful season. I think he's in hell. No, I want to win. I want to win.
Speaker 10: Now, you guys are going to have to play with the same focus that he played with. And you know, I mean he's coming from the forty nine ers. They had a winning season. They were actually very successful while he was there. So I think he has seen what needs to be done and you know, you know the type of guys that you need to be on that team.
Speaker 7: And so it seems like everyone is clicking.
Speaker 10: Everyone's trying their damns to make the team be you know, be on the field on Sundays. And so even the alumni guys are eager about this season, where let's just say last season they weren't as eager. Guys are like, man, I'm ready for the season to actually really get going. So I think that looking at the players, I think, you know, I really do think that those guys are they're really playing aggressively.
Speaker 7: And I mean just kind of got a chip on the shoulders.
Speaker 2: That's Anthony Hill, former Texan and Clearbrook High School alum, with Drew Doherty unaware of they now.
Speaker 11: Can you tell much at this point early June about the tight ends. Were you watching much of Dalton Schultz and teak In Cotriano and Brevin Jordan some of those guys. Can you tell a whole heck of a lotters is still a little too early to get a gauge.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's earlier to see those guys here, I guess, And I mean we know that that guy was.
Speaker 7: I mean, he's a he's a damn good player. You know. I believe he was at the Cowboys.
Speaker 10: Right yep, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean he's I mean, we already know that he's a damn good player. So it looks like a really solid group. I know, he looks really good. When I heard he was here on like a one year deal, I was like, I was like okay. I was like, well, hopefully he comes and proves itself and he's here for a lot longer, you know. Yeah, yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 11: I had a fun conversation with him too. He's he's a little different. He was pretty fun. I don't know if you've got a chance to catch up with him at all.
Speaker 7: But yeah I did. I didn't get to catch up with him today.
Speaker 9: I got you. I got you.
Speaker 11: Besides those guys from the two thousand and nine class, who are some other Texans that you've either either befriended or you're still keep in touch with from your playing days?
Speaker 10: So one of the main guys is probably Moran Norris. Yeah, me and him, we damn there talked too much throughout the day's time.
Speaker 7: We talked all day long.
Speaker 10: I mean, heck, heck, we've we've already probably talked an hour for today.
Speaker 9: So I got to get him in one of these suit he hasn't been right.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, he will, he'll, he'll, he'll definitely do it. He'll for me if he's yeah, I promise you he'll do it all right.
Speaker 7: Fred Rury really good guy. Me and him hang out talk often.
Speaker 10: Those are kind of two of the main guys that I really hang out with that. I mean, there's a few other guys, but those are kind of the main guys. And I mean we stay pretty close. E Brown just some really good guys overall. And so they love being around the team, love being here, so me personally, I love being here also.
Speaker 7: So we're all a pretty tight group.
Speaker 11: That's really cool because you didn't play with those guys. They were before you, but you've you've become friends with them afterwards. That's awesome. That's really if you share something even though you didn't play together, right.
Speaker 10: And I can call them all old and all that stuff. You know, I kind of it kind of makes me feel younger, so a little bit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, right, we Hey, what's next for you currently?
Speaker 10: I'm in the process of just trying to start some new businesses. I kind of want my concrete business to continue to grow. My son actually lives with me currently. He'll be here twenty four to seven now, so I'm trying to room him up and you know, make sure that if he wants to play football, that he is able to play it at the you know, you know that he's ever to play it.
Speaker 7: How old is He's eight?
Speaker 10: He thinks he's about eighteen, so yeah, so I'm yeah, so he's he's trying to learn and everything else. And I mean he looks like a tight end already, so I'm trying to just you know, just trying to bring him up the right way and.
Speaker 7: Keep on going.
Speaker 9: Awesome.
Speaker 11: Well, Anthony Hill, it's always good to catch up with you. Good to see it here on the zoom screen. I can't wait to see out and about it in another Texans Legends event where we're you know, talking about financial literacy or you know, fighting bully or something. You know, there's always something interesting when you and I are together at one of these events.
Speaker 7: Yeah right, yeah, because you.
Speaker 9: Are active with it. It's it's a good thing. It's good for us, good for all the people that helps me.
Speaker 11: Anthony, thanks so much for the time, my friend. Have a great summer and we'll see you again soon.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sir, thank you all. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: True. This music, it's awesome. I'm so mad that we didn't use that for all access. It's awesome. For where are they now?
Speaker 2: Drew's awesome, Anthony Hill's awesome, Davis Mills and Denzel Perriman, you are awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening. Well see tomorrowybody, and as always, go Texans.