Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable. We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories. Dune Dune. Hello, Welcome to that Smessed Up an SVU podcast. My name is Lisa and my name is Kara, and we're your hosts. Every week, guys, we talk about an episode of SVU, We recap, we dive into the true crime it was based on, and we talked to a celeb guest, and first we do a little chit chat and just up top, I just want to remind you guys. In June, we're back out on the road. We're doing San Francisco on June eighth, We're doing Tempe Arizona on June fifteenth, Denver on June twenty fifth, and La on June twenty ninth. So come out, yeah, please, so humiliate us in our town where we live, because that wouldn't that would not be positive. Come on down. Yes. So I'll be doing stand up in Phoenix June sixteenth, seven or those are the dates, right, you said the fifteenth we're doing stand up. Yeah, So sixteenth and seventeenth, and then June twenty sixth in Denver. I'm doing stand up so more shows and for tickets to our live shows, it's that's messed up live dot Com. You can just head there and it has links to all the different venues and stuff. And yeah, La is one of our biggest markets, and we got to get you guys out to our live show. Come on, let's go, come see us. We went to drag Con. That was fun, Yes, so fun. I posted some photos.
Speaker 2: The only reason I didn't post the teletubby photo is because it's too wide. It wouldn't like match with the rest of the photos. You know how Instagram does that. So I'm tomorrow as a throwback. I'm excited. I love that teletubby picture.
Speaker 1: I just well, it was so weird. So I saw comic that night and I was like, oh my god. We went to drag Con. It was so fun, and I was like telling everything I saw and then I was like, oh, and the Teletubbies were there, and he goes, I didn't realize you were into kink and I go, there was nothing kinky about it, and he's like, well, you know, the Teletubbies drat and I was like, oh, you're an idiot, Like I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, it's like you're like a furry because the Teletubbies were there.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I'm like, is the right wing propaganda working? Like did he think? I was just like, no, the Tinky Winky's gay and there's a kid's area. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'll tell you who is getting radicalized my children by DragCon because now they're watching Teletubbies every night and I'd never seen it before.
Speaker 1: Oscar is obsessed. He asked for it by name, and he was mesmerized. We saw him fall in love. Yeah, he was just gonna stop looking at him saying it. He kept going want to see Teletubbies.
Speaker 2: And then we went back to go see if they were like still there after we left, because we were first, we got to get one of the first pictures with them, because they saw I had these two wild children who were trying to escape at every moment, and they let us take the photo. And then we walked away and went to go do other shit, and he kept asking to go back.
Speaker 1: But this Teletubby show is weird as hell. I never really watched it.
Speaker 2: I mean it kind of came of age when I was like a young person without kids, and I guess.
Speaker 1: I was babies.
Speaker 2: It's four babes, yes, but it's like there's a creepy baby face in the sun that just looks down and smiles. There's a whole thing where the Teletubbies have a screen on their tummy or whatever, and that you watch a video and then the Teletubbies go again again, and then you just watch the same video over. That's literally in every show, you watch the same video two times through.
Speaker 1: You're so crazy. I mean, I think you're communicating to everyone listening today, I'm familiar with the teletubby Oh you know it's a two time Yeah. I watched the Telestubbies. I was too old for it, but I liked how cute. I like their cuteness. I don't think it was a good show. But I watched Arthur on PBS, and I feel like maybe I crossed paths or something in that way. Sure, because with Arthur.
Speaker 2: Head, I just can't believe that they thought that parents wouldn't go crazy having to watch the same fucking four minute video twice in a row, like it was.
Speaker 1: It's not for you.
Speaker 2: I know it's not for me, but I'm sitting there and I have to watch it. So but you know who were you know who's worse? Blippy. I finally saw Blippy and it is bad. I don't watch that, but kids love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I sat down with our friend's kid and I was like, I don't want to watch this, and he goes, well, we're watching Blippy and I was like, well, then I'm leaving. What what does Blippy do? There's nothing, It's just like real, like like I don't know. I was because I feel like most kid programming could sit and be like all right, but I was like this. I was like, I'm out of here, Like I couldn't even sit for a minute and watch Blippy. And the parents were like, I know, it's our last resort. We hate Blippy too. Wow, my friend Marty shows her kids Blippy. That's the only time I've ever seen like a second of it. But I didn't really pay attention. I fully turned my brother and sister and.
Speaker 2: My brother in law onto Blue when we were there visiting with Rosie, and they're like, Bluey's so good.
Speaker 1: People do love Blue? Do you want to update people on that? Engagement van story you had an update.
Speaker 2: Yes, this sounds bad, but are we positive that that story is real? Because it's just on Reddit and it sounds really weird that this girl is like I don't know. The update is that the girl is engaged to the guy. Now, if you're if you're confused what we're talking out. We're talking about how like last week or the week before, we talked about a girl whose fiance wanted to propose to her and had his friends kidnap her, or his friends took it upon themselves to kidnap her and scared the shit out of her, like literally, she pissed her pants, and we just thought that was really fucked up. So then I was driving somewhere and was just like, oh, I'm going to look up and see.
Speaker 1: Where that Reddit thread went.
Speaker 2: And she posted an update that was like, I'm engaged after a couple of weeks, Like he took me for like a proper engagement and I really realized that, like he is really loves me and cares for me and wants to protect me, and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: So she felt good with the boyfriend.
Speaker 2: She goes, I'm thinking I'm not going to press charges, and then all these people wrote comments and were like, press charges, bitch, and she was like, Okay, update, I think I might press charges now after reading all your comments. The only thing that made my kind of spidey sense tingle was that this person created an account to tell this story and they were like, there's too many identifying parts about me on my old account.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. It just feels like, yeah, because I saw it on BuzzFeed, And while you've been talking, I've been in the search category of BuzzFeed looking up kidnapping engagement van. Nothing is showing up. Yeah, so maybe they took it down and it wasn't real. I mean, I understand why BuzzFeed posted it, because it's just like a buzzy story about how something get Reddit, but feed journalism. BuzzFeed is always posting Reddit stuff and then the comments are always like this is just Reddit? What's And I'm like, BuzzFeed isn't real, It's for money, Like do you guys come here for real stuff? I mean, I think they have great long form shit and fun stuff, but like, well, isn't to educate.
Speaker 2: And well, is there a difference between BuzzFeed and BuzzFeed News because I feel like, well, I mean, it's all shutting down now anyway, I feel like but BuzzFeed news has like legit reporting. I just think this goes under like fun viral stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and most like most of Retta and my the assholes. I just I wish it's not real. Like anything I read, I'm like, this would be great if it wasn't real.
Speaker 2: But what's crazy is when I was googling it to find the original BuzzFeed, I saw another article about a guy who did that to his girlfriend in Lebanon. They were in Lebanon and he got her kidnapped to ask her to marry him. And then a man did it in Australia too. There's many, it sounds like there's many Australia, I mean many kidnapping engagements and those need to stop.
Speaker 1: It's just it's one of the This is like a smaller example. I don't know if I've talked about it, but there's been multiple and I can only think of two at the moment where men like exposed female commedity like did something where then the female comedians got harassed online death threats. They needed full security, they had to move, they got docs lost jobs, like crazy shit happens, and then afterwards, the men's excuse is always, well, I didn't know that would happen. And it's like, do women not constantly tell you the internet is a healthscape? And same with kidnapping. It's like all you ever hear is women be like, I'm scared to get kidnapped, I'm scared to get assault. I'm scared. And then it's like, oh, I didn't know it would be that big of a deal. I thought it would be funny. And it's like they just don't listen at all, Like it's so crazy to think a kidnapping is an LOL, And I'm sorry. I keep going to the movie Jawbreaker, but it did teach us a great lesson about kidnapping. Don't do it even for fun. It could go wrong.
Speaker 2: Like you know, we go back to Jawbreaker for so many things. We have to go back to the texts that raised us.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the text, so I got a message from someone that does listen to our pod. And if we remember the story, when I performed in Detroit, there was a meadow woman who was like people keep saying I look like some character named Misty form Yellow jackets, and then I cackled because I was like, you do. Girl. So she messaged me and she's a social worker and she's like a good person and we can touch on Instagram, and she just said that I am dead on about the criminal justice and social work division of people. She says, you know, when she was at Juvenile Corps and she said, like, the approaches of criminal justice and social worker like probation officers were so different and the outcomes were so stark, and the criminal justice probation officers kids were miserable and always had to go back to court, and not the social work ones. Huh. And I said, yeah, I believe that because I feel like social workers are like more sociology. It's like, oh, I wonder why you're so damaged and doing crimes. And I feel like criminal justice people are like, you're bad, your fifteen year solo car, You're bad. And I go, I think that's it, and she goes, exactly, I agree with that.
Speaker 2: So just the thing that I my, gosh, we're already at the flag, Casey, this is crazy, we're at the flag.
Speaker 1: I do have a couple other things, but I just I had to tell everyone I was right and obviously there's like different stuff. But she said, like one time a fourteen year old died by suicide and the criminal justice pos and interns were making jokes about him the whole time, and then the social workers were upset and the criminal justice people called them the Feelings Brigade. And of course she's a normal person, so she goes, social workers aren't perfect, but I think they are now there's looney tunes everywhere. I watched the show Swarm. I loved it. Yeah, I loved it. I would recommend it to everybody. Swarm. It's about a Beyonce's style, beehive fan obsessed, a fan turned serial killer, and in the genre. I love it. Yeah, it's in the genre. Okay, So I met somebody he's a comic at a show. We're talking us to you and he goes, oh, I took care of Marishka's son on set, and I go, oh, my god, baby Noah or bisexual Noah? Which Noah did you work? And he goes, baby Noah. Okay. I go, okay, great, and then he's like, yeah and I met Maloney. I go, there's no way Noah didn't exist till season fifteen. You do not meet Maloney, goes, no I did. He was bought. He looked like this, and I go, listen, Noah was season fifteen. I don't know what to tell you. Maloney was not involved. Maybe he was visiting the child on set, but like, there's no fucking way. And then we figured out he took care of Murshka's real biological flow and he goes, I thought I was going crazy. I go, don't worry, bro, We're good. I'm so funny that like talking about her real son that you'd be like, oh, is it bisexual her son or baby her son? And his name's August. I love that. So he took care of baby August for a week on the set of SVU, and he said that Mrsha is amazing, like we hear from lots of people. I love that she had a little manny. That's so fun. Okay, the other this isn't even that interesting. I saw this on The Great Intro, but I saw this on my Instagram. And James Vanderbeek showed his children his old tape of hosting SNL because they loved Wendes Jenna or Taga did ESSNW. So He's like, they were so into it. I decided, like I'll show them the coolest I've ever been. And the kids were like, you're embarrassing. You look like an idiot. This is just so stupid. You're so stupid, you dork, and they just like hate it. The kids hate it. It's like very fun.
Speaker 2: Vanderbeek, come talk about your rejection on our podcast. I know, we love to be a shoulder for you to cry on. If you have a connection to James Vanderbek, tell him we're here for him.
Speaker 1: I know James. But yeah, so those are the only updates I really have in the Clubhouse. Amazing in the Clubhouse.
Speaker 2: I love your running your own Watch what Happens, Watch what Happens, Lisa.
Speaker 1: I've been hating Watch What Happens Live this week because it's not Bravo people. It's like celebrities, And I guess it's fine, but like, I just like more Bravo action and I think more people maybe like celebrities, like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think it also gives the show kind of like cred as like a real late night show, and they have like Meryl Streep or Oprah come on, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had the book Club women on this week. Oh well, I did see book Club. I did see book Club and it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sitting next to my friend Elliott, and he's like the only person I ever want to see these movies with because the whole time we just look at each other and go, what what? Like the writing makes no sense, Like the plot is crazy. Like the movie's bad, but I have an amazing time going to see it, you know what I mean. It's like I don't even know about Guilty Pleasure. It's just like a lot of shit doesn't make sense, but we've got these women in their own cinematic universe. They're part of a franchise now and they're going for it.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of wait, what did you just out? Things that are enjoyable and make no sense? There's an Instagram account I found. I'm sure it's a TikTok first, but this dude is just like talking about episodes of Seventh Heaven and how they don't make sense and how crazy they are, and it is really fun because they are. I forgot about the storylines, Like they just bring home a homeless girl and they fight over who can keep it, like or like like the things that are it's just like, it's great. I wish I remembered it. Whatever is everything I have to share from the internet. Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not leaving that.
Speaker 2: Y I love it all right, Well we have a Honestly, this is an episode we have been dying to do.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I forgot get it the episode. This is the episode, So don't go anywhere I would have pumped. Oh well, speaking of I have a preface story. Then if I forgot that, it's this episode. We're obsessed with this episode. We hope you have so much fun. It was really a dream come true doing it. I had a comedian bring me up this week and then he kissed my forehead. Uh uh uh uh uh uh No, this is the second time this has occurred, and I am going to be saying something so I have an update. Really creepy, it's psychotic, and he's lucky I didn't tell the heads of the people of the club. So I'm just going to talk to him and be like, that's an insane thing. I don't know why you would do that at my job. My friends don't do that, my parents don't do that. That's not you. What and if you listen to this podcast.
Speaker 2: You know, Lisa doesn't even like it when men kiss Olivia on the forehead that she's had sex with, so she certainly doesn't want random comedians doing it to her.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know famously about I'm typing it in the chat. I'm typing it in the chat, so you can know how annoying this because I haven't. I'm probably going to throw up for you are going to throw up when you sent I knew who it was this before you sent it. I knew who it was. I knew it was like the second you said it, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh, this is who it is, because that's like what you've told me about this person. That is this person's vibe, Like they think that is something they can do.
Speaker 1: And it's like, I'm at work trying to like win over a crowd and be impressive, and you just well I made a joke right away. I go, did it look like my father just kiss me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You just infantilized me, like in front of a whole fucking audience.
Speaker 1: That's not okay.
Speaker 2: You know, famously, a comedy booker has kissed me on the hand twice when meeting me, and I like that's I think that what happened to you is way worse.
Speaker 1: I just wonder how he's gonna react, because I bet he'll get defensive, or maybe he'll just be like, oh yeah, or oh it was just and I go, I don't care what it is. I don't want your saliva on my forehead. You fucking psycho. What a crazy thing to do. But also this person is someone that complains of like I don't knows me too gone too far? And it's like, clearly not if you have absolutely think you can kiss around at work, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like if the men are actually scared of me too, and oh no, the new climate, why are you kissing me on my forehead in front of hundreds of people?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to laugh. It is so crazy and you're clearly not worried, and none of this has worked. Yeah, but has me too gone too far? I mean, give me a break.
Speaker 1: I'm it's like so on edge. I want to DM but I'm gonna do it in person so there's no confusion of tone. But if you're gonna be like do not hug me, do not kiss me, shake my hand, that is insane of you.
Speaker 2: I go to shake most hands, most comics hands. But if they are a good friend, I'll hug when they're coming on stage.
Speaker 1: I get they're a good pal, but we know if we're good friends are now yeah, yeah, you can feel the hug. Oh my god, so crazy. I can't believe that happened.
Speaker 2: Anyway, perfect segue into today's episode about the comedy world a little bit, Guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: We have been waiting for this episode, which seems like our whole lives. Yes, I would say. It's called Comic Perversion, Season fifteen, Episode fifteen. It came out February twenty fourteen, and we're thrilled. We're thrilled. So we open up on a label liss water bottle on a stool and a man doing stand up comedy with a big stage light on his face. And it's Jonathan Silverman and from weekend at Bernie's and he's performing at TSU. Now, Kara, do you want to reveal your connection to this episode or do you want to save it for later? Wait? What is my connection to this episode? Stick or treat?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, no, let me let's go on a little further. Let's go on away. Yeah, so we're teasing. Okay, stay tuned, bitches.
Speaker 1: So the crowdle starts chanting for Tsu tsu, and it's just really weird, just because we know the ins and outs of like the business of comedy. It's funny that it's a college event, but they are at a comedy club called the Comic Strip and here I am past. I do still get the avail's emails for the Comics Shop, so it's not defunct. It's still around. Yeah, Purp is still banging.
Speaker 2: I mean before I had kids and I would go back to New York from LA I would do like a spot or two there. I used to do spots there with like Colin Jost and like random people like yeah, one of the one of the New York clubs.
Speaker 1: I was passed at. Baby. I only did one show there one time. I don't know much about it, but there is a brick wall on the stage, so it is legit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They us change the orientation of it. I think now like it's like totally changed.
Speaker 1: But yes, but college events are usually on college campuses, not at comedy clubs. But know, it doesn't matter. This is so fun. Now to the side of the stage, there's a framed sign that says hot Fries, and on the other side of the stage is a dry erase board and it just says Tompkins Square University, So a new college, because I don't think we've met any other people from Tompkins Squat Square is about seventy blocks from where this club is located. But you know, you know, you only know that, I guess if you know New York. And then there's just like a piece of paper that looks like word art posters stuck to the dry erase board and it says Josh Galloway. And I just love that there are shining a light on the indignities of stand up comedy. You know, he did sell out. I'm sure he's making tens of thousands of dollars for this gig, but yeah, they are selling French fries and it just is a computer paper with his name on it. Like, stand up comedy really really humbles you day in and day out, and it's pretty fantastical.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would also like to take this opportunity to share that when I was a comic in New York, and I think maybe still there's a show called Shticker Tree.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is the this is our this is this he said his name. Now his name is we know his name is Josh Galloway. Okay, perfect, So Sticker Tree.
Speaker 2: It was a show where comics around Halloween would dress up as other comics and do like a two minute set as them. And you could go on as Gallagher Ellen. I was Ellen Degenerous one year, like I was Whitney Cummings one year. You could even go like on as Lee's a trigger or someone that you know like and do like roast them a little bit whatever. And I went on one year as fictional rape comic Josh Galloway from SVU, And I'll tell you the ones who got it got it, and the ones who didn't were very confused. But I like did I think I was kind of poking fun At the time. There was all this controversy about rape jokes and stuff like that, and so I was like poking fun at all of that. And I don't remember my set very well because it was twenty fourteen or when did this episode came out? Yeah, February, so so eight months later I'm playing him after this episode comes out, hoping people get the reference.
Speaker 1: And you drew a beard. So was it like eight people laughing and then a confused sea of like, what's going on? Audit laughed?
Speaker 2: A lot of people laughed, like a lot of you people were like even like I was like, you guys probably saw me on that episode of SVU where a comedian gets so even if they didn't see the episode, they knew what I was doing, and so it was gosh. I wish I could like look in my email and see if I like wrote out my set and emailed it to myself or something, because it would be.
Speaker 1: Wild to see you're the queen of a receipts. I'm sure it's somewhere. Yes, I'm sure it's somewhere. I wish I was there to see you performost Josh Gallow at the Rape comic. But whatever, So TSU, we're back. It's a party school. We could tell people are taping him with their cell phones, which is such a no no as well, like you'd get fucking kicked out. That's like an off with your head type of moment. If you're fucking taping someone's set, get the fuck out of here. But he calls TSU trashed slut University or totally swallow you and the boys cheer, and then he starts making fun of the rape trolley. It's like, just let the trolley take the women home, Like you have an issue with the rape trolley. It's like, it is just so funny to me. But he doesn't like that the rape trolley's only for women. What about the men? And he goes a man rape trolley. Actually, well, the joke is date rape for men is actually called getting lucky, and for joke structure, it's there. He's really killing it, you know. He then tests a really really tough premise about the upsides of rape, and then a gaggle of gals in the front row wearing matching t shirts stand up and they yell, rape is no joke. And one of the girls is Skylar Day. I remember her from Parenthood, but she was also in a different SVU playing the same character Renee Clark in the episode Girl Dishonored in season fourteen. You know, another college rape situation. Okay, Bambam. So there's booing. Everyone's booing, and it's like, are we booing the anti rape group or are we booing? Josh, it's the group. So she goes, rape is not funny and then another girl gets up and she's a little sauced and she yells, you're not funny. Go home. I'm in love with all of this, the commotion that's happening. And Josh Gallaway's like, hey, guys, let's not heckle and boo our feminist sisters. If anyone knows about comedy, it's a feminist. And you know that's again another great structured little bit. She starts quoting rape stats and he brings her on stage, and we get her name and she's part of a group called Star Students Together Against Rape anyways, So he then says, renee is rape. Rape is not funny. Gang rape, on the other hand, is freaking hysterical. Again another great bit, Like because we get to see him do comedy throughout and it does decrease in terms of structure, but structurally he's really knocking these out. I would say art is good.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we think that jokes about gang rape are funny in this situation, and I you think the jokes are.
Speaker 1: Funny, no, but they're structurally sound yes. And I in this context with her on stage, and that's happening, and everything we know is gonna happen. It's fucked up. But I'm trying to think if someone did this on stage, like, I can see it working. I can Yeah, if a comic one up and goes listen. I don't joke about rape, that's not funny, But you know what is funny gang rape? I can see. I can see that hitting, whether we personally would laugh or not at it. But when people are like, rape jokes are just not funny. I have I have two, and people laugh, but they're just on a different perspective where I make I don't. I don't feel the victim is the punchline. The rapists are the punchline to me. Yes, And I have a gang bang joke with different than or gang bang, Yeah, yes or not? I yeah, we'll see. Yeah, it's no longer on porn hubs, so we don't know how consensual it was. But yeah, But I am a believer that anything can be funny if you're funny. Yeah, And that's why I think funny. Yes, And I think that's why the comics that come plain about quote unquote PC culture being woke, people being serious whatever, they're just not funny enough and can't really admit it to themselves. Mm hmm. Even when something doesn't go right, you can blame a crowd, but at the end of the day, it's you. It's your jokes, and you can make anyone laugh at anything. Yeah. V I mean is there's the best example. There's people that do like One Man shows about losing their children. I mean, there's like there's people can find humor in anything. You know, you just have to do it the right way. Yeah, not lazily, because I don't love domestic violence jokes. That's something that I usually am, like, I just don't laugh or like, and I'm not into it. Yeah. Nicole Amy Schreiber has a fantastic domestic violence joke and I laugh every time I hear it. So it's like, you know, but it's probably not making the victims the butt her joke. No, a little bit, but in a great way. But my thing I also always say with comics is like I think as an audience member and probably in different marginalized groups can feel this way. I bet feel this way. Where Like you can also tell people's intent, Like there are a lot of comics their intent is to piss people off. Yeah, and then when people are pissed off, they get to be a victim of like, oh, they're pissed, but or like, look what I get to say.
Speaker 2: I can say anything I want, Like it's is there a point or do you have a different kind of perspective on it?
Speaker 1: Like not really? No, Actually, Jesse Klein has a hilarious domestic violence joke as well that I just thought of exactly. And if the goal is to make people laugh, I think you can make everything funny and even the marginalized groups that can be at the butt of the joke laugh. Like, if the goal is like pure joy and laughter, I think audiences get it. The guys that I think about that really bother me is they purposely write material with the intent of controversy and to piss people off because they know deep down they're not funny enough or they don't believe in themselves enough. But when they complain about crowd, I'm like, but your intent isn't for people to enjoy themselves. Your intent is to get people mad because you think you're like a philosopher king y. Yeah, and so there's a lot too. I mean, this guy is a sick oh. So like I'm not defending Josh Gallows. We're not defending Josh Galloway. We're just dressing up as we're obviously going to talk about it. Yeah, well it would just be shocking not to talk about it. But I think you can make anything funny. I don't think anything. I like to look. I like to laugh at dark stuff sometimes too, Like it doesn't mean I condone it. I just can laugh at like a dark joke, you know. Anyway, So whatever, he talks about the rules of three in terms of the gang Ray. He keeps pushing it. She calls him sick. He says he's funny. Everyone claps for Renee. She walks away with her group. She is walking home. Uh oh, there are men from the show. They seem plastered as hell, and they're waiting for her in their little beanie caps and they're like, oh hey, Renee, you were great up there, and they start tossing her around. It's a really vicious scene. Like I hate watching this. It makes me really start and uncomfortable. She tries to get away and they have a grip and she starts trying to blow her rape whistle and they do. You think they're trying to make a point that rape whistles are stupid. Because they take the whistle away very quickly from her is the point, and she's not able to whistle. She's crying, they're trying to get away, she's asking them to stop. She finally kicks one of them in the dick. He falls over. She grabs her keys, whistles again, and then we hope she gets away. We don't really know what happens. Then we go back to the rape comics closer, he goes, good night kids, Okay, so that's that, and then he's signing autographs and he's looking right directly at the camera while he's high fiving people. It's really sick, honestly. But what we see is he's making eye contact with the drunk girl who heckled the Feminist rape club. And so she's drunk, she's horny for him. They're looking at each other, they're mutually checking each other out. And then it cuts to our beloved credits. So so now we're in the squad room, it's you know, the wooden comforting room, and Renee Clark is explaining they grabbed me. She managed to get her whistle back and that's what made them panic and run, and she's crying. She's really fucked over from what happened. Benson's like, good, you did what you had to do to get out of the situation. And Rollins asks if she knows the boys that did it, and she's like, yes, they live in my dorm. They must have followed her from the comedy show. And she mentions that Josh Galloway and Rollin's is like, oh, one of those rape joke comics, and I wonder what, like, no one's known as a rape joke comic. Right, Well, we'll get into it when I do the real thing, okay a little bit, And then she said that her friends and her were coming to send a message, but Josh brought her on stage and said it was funny if she was gang raped, and that's why those boys assaulted her because Josh gave them permission. And Benson's like, well, we'll see what kind of charge as we can bring against these boys. And then they go on to ask the girl like are you ready to go through this again? And she goes, I am, That's why I came straight to you. I didn't even call campus security, and she goes, you have to go after Josh Galloway. So we cut to one of the boys in interrogation with Amrrow and he's like, Josh did not ed us on or motivate us to do this. We were just messing around. It was a joke. She's gotten. She's got to lighten up. It's the sickens me. Yeah, like making it seem like there is a joke to fully scaring someone into thinking they're about to get a like the trauma is real that your body and how it reacts will not know it's a joke.
Speaker 2: And while we will have just talked about this on an intro, so we've covered this.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, pretending to rape someone's not a bit okay, guys, jesus, I don't think our audience needs that announcement. But it's so fucked. It cuts to the other a sweater made of striped temp and he's like, she needs to learn how to take a joke, and it's like, what the fuck? I don't get the funny. I really don't get the funny. So the guy who's like, whatever, she needs to learn how to take a joke. And then the guy's like and I like Renee and Finn is like, you got a funny way of showing it, and they say they felt bad she was heckled on stage and they were just trying to have some fun with her number one fear. So Barbara spying in the window, Like, I have a friend who's her number one fear as frogs. I wouldn't even throw a fake frog at her. Yeah, that's just like, why am I if you're scared of? I don't know why I have to push the limits of someone's fears.
Speaker 2: Well, one time, when I was in college, my friend was really afraid of pregnant women.
Speaker 1: She was really grossed out by pregnant wmen.
Speaker 2: She's since had three children, but at the time we were in our like you know, we were nineteen ors and I did put a pack triv pregnant woman on her pillow that I found in a magazine.
Speaker 1: And what happened? She was like, who did this?
Speaker 2: I mean she didn't get like scared. It wasn't like it was a real pregnant person. But you know, so if I'm with her, who is this?
Speaker 1: Have I met her? No? You haven't. Now she has three kids. Yeah, Like that's stopped your friends before a fucking zip zip zopin to our gigs. Okay, so hello to all of Kara's camp, childhood, high school, college study abroad friends thrilled you're here. Barbara is spying in the window, and he's like, oh, these college idiots. Benson quickly responds they did assault Renee and they knew she was a survivor and an activist and they targeted her. And Barba's like, okay, I'll try to get a temporary restraining order, but she needs to change dorms and Benson does not like this. So they're walking and talking and you know, Benson and Rollins are on either side of him, just one step back. It's like a dance number. And Benson asks about the comic, and you know, he's a big deal. He's one of those snarky cable TV hosts. And he was on a list of People's Magazine's most eligible comedians.
Speaker 3: L O L.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's ever been a fucking article in People magazine.
Speaker 1: There's like two eligible comedians. No, that are men? That are men? There are a million women. Yeah, if it was old and the men are like, you know, they're not doing well in terms of emotional they're not good partners. Like I can't imagine the People list. It's like this guy showers twice a week. Ladies like, yeah, I would say, who would? I mean, Trevor Noah is the one that, like, if People Magazine did do an eligible bachelor comedian, he doesn't have a partner. I don't know. I think he's out there fucking I mean he was seen with dua lipa like who knows. But yeah, he's someone that is just subjectively like an attractive person on television who people like. But after Trevor Noah, I can't think of a second person. Michael Cha, I'm thinking Chay. People like Chay, Yeah, Chay. Oh. You know who is hot and who is an eligible bachelor?
Speaker 2: Brett Goldstein, Yes, there we go, Brett Goldstein. Yeah, hot as hell, nice guy on a hit TV show, a good stand up, very funny here for a long time.
Speaker 1: But I believe he's single now. Yeah. Yeah, So there they are out there.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying most so those two would definitely be in People Magazine's feature on the most eligible comedians.
Speaker 1: And then the other ones I'm thinking about that are cute, are cheating on their spouses, like I don't know, I don't know if they're good people, yeah, but they of course there are great ones and hopefully throughout this episode we'll think of other ones. So Rollins brings up this eligible comedians. We came up with three, So that's pretty exciting. I mean Chris Rock I think is an eligible bachelor. Yeah, I mean last already was dating Lake Bell. Yeah. Yeah, that's exciting. So Barbara's confused, and so Barba's like, wait, so Josh Galloway also assaulted Renee and Benson goes, no, but he made jokes about how funny it was if he was gang raped, and he incited this incident, and Barbara treats them like idiots. He's like, you've heard a free speech right, And I'm on Barba's side era where it's like, what you can't charge a guy for bad joke telling? And Benson's like, well, what about hate speech? And they heard his set and they advocated a gang rape and they followed Renee out and it makes him an accessory and she says, if I tell a guy with a gun, I want my husband dead and cocks her head to the side like good point, right, And if you're wondering, Benson at this point has short chin length, bouncy Bob Benson era very season five s JP sex in the city, and Barbara says, you're doing a false equivalency and which I agree with with are but here and we need to prove his intent any other charges on the sky and Ronind's is like, no, but we'll start digging.
Speaker 2: Benson says he also didn't say go gang raper. Didn't he say what's funnier than a rape joke? A gang rape joke?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, he didn't say go get this girl? Right? Like, yeah, Benson goes, or we could just go straight to him and fill him in and we'll tell him that the girl he humiliated was assaulted by two of his fans. Tomorrow and Benson do a walk and talk headed to Josh's you know, hotel room, and Amar was like, ugh, I hate this guy. So Tomorrow wildly hates this guy. He opens the door and Josh is in a white hotel robe and he's in a chipper mood. He's like, come in detectives, and Benson reminds him she's a sergeant and he condescendingly congratulates her on wearing the pants. Tomorrow doesn't like that he's in a robe and he's like, did the front tesk not tell you. We were on our way up, and this is unfortunately very me, Like I will order room service and when they knock, I am just I have to. I'm like just a minute, I'm throwing clothes on, like I didn't order the food. Yeah, I'm it's I'm really bad about this. I'm not wearing pants ring like so I sent you a surprise meal, or even when you're coming to pick me up or I know you're coming over, like I will still not put on clothes until the moment someone knocks. And it's kind of like when I FaceTime you when I have to pee and you're like, you could have done it a moment after, and I'm like, I couldn't. I couldn't. So unfortunately, I do see myself in this rapist. Okay, so unfortunately, but this is me. So anyways, he goes, yeah, yeah, they pulled me out of the shower. He then takes his robe off in front of the police and Marish goes like, whoa, the dude is naked. He changes into sweatpants. His body looks good, though, you know, good for you know, good for Jonathan Silverman. I'm sure he did some pushups, some prep and they paid off. So then while he's changing, he's like, you like the view, and Tomaro go, no, I'm not enjoying the view. And I get that this man is naked in front of him, but the Penthouse Hotel view is gorgeous. Also, what kind.
Speaker 2: Of cop, what kind of comic is doing a college gig getting this hotel room in New York City.
Speaker 1: I think, like, if you're famous, I think colleges like big schools. They I think the comics get fifty grand a show, hundred grand a show, Like if you're on SNL, I think you make at least twenty five thirty grand. But then I am.
Speaker 2: Performing at like a huge auditorium at their school, not at like the fucking two hundred capacity comic strip.
Speaker 1: It's just like it's wild.
Speaker 2: Although the school, You're right, it's not really about selling tickets for the school. The school just has money to do things for the kids, because I was on the committee for my school that decided what things the kids could pay for.
Speaker 1: But also I know of a comic who is just like he makes so much money everywhere, yeah, like being on the road, like he's gonna make a profit. But I heard that he has to sit at the best hotel, it doesn't matter. And if he the best restaurants, and if he loses money, it doesn't matter to him because he's so wealthy. Yeah, because I was just talking, Oh.
Speaker 2: That makes sense for this this that sounds like this kind of yes, because I was just talking to an agent who said that the business manager of this client called him and was like, why did he spend thirty five grand on the hotel this weekend?
Speaker 1: Thirty five grand on the hotel? Yeah, and including like probably room service and all that, and the agent he's never going to go away live in like the gravy train. It goes on forever. Wow, I know. But some of these people are just making so much money. I don't know. Yeah, wow, I know. So he offers to get just stripping down in front of the cops. It's like, this guy is so bold and arrogant. I'm obsessed with him. So not really. Then he offers to order room service, and the sliders are insane, and he finally puts on a shirt. He starts ass he's very casual, very manic energy, and he reminds me of the jazz guy from Sex in the City. In terms of chaos, in terms of just like me, Me, Me, me me. Benson gets down to business and brings up Greene Clark and he acts like he has no idea who this bitch is. He goes, I don't know, I do one hundred and fifty shows a year. You gotta be more specific, touts, and then she shows a photo and he pulled her up on stage and he like, legit is like, but I don't remember. I have no idea what you're saying. And he's just you know, chewing on a sandwich, lying do you think he really doesn't remember faces their names? Or he's lying to the cops like, I what do you think it is? I think he doesn't remember for real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, because I don't think he has like any idea whither even there. And he's like, I don't remember, Like yeah, like I think this is the kind of guy that only sees women he wants to like fuck, And I don't think he was like attracted to this girl, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he does.
Speaker 2: He's like, ah, the redhead I had sex with in Missouri. I remember her, but like he doesn't remember like regular women, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Wow, So they explain what happened, and he's like, that's too bad, But what does this have to do with me? And they're like, did you not say it would be funny to gang raper? And he's like, I'm not taking any of this seriously or cares at all. And it's like, even if it has nothing to do with you, you just found out someone like god assault it. I don't know. Yeah, So he's straight up He's like, I'm a comedian, what are you gonna do? Blame the artists? Chewing the whole time, and a Tomorrow's like, oh, you're an artist, and he gives up and goes, come on, I'm a performer, and Benson's like you're a witness. Can you just help us id the assailants? And he says, I don't see people. I just see lights in the dark. I don't know. And then Tomorrow has another burn and goes, wow, drunk college students tough crowd, and it is people wasted is not a great crowd. So Tomorrow is an idiot here. I don't I have to stop talking. I'm just gonna read my notes. So he's like, okay, I get you're not a fan. Why don't you come to my show? I'll get you VIP tickets. I'm playing TSU again and he begs them to come to the show and see it. Benson size and walks away. So it's a ten PM show. We're back at the comic strip and it's a Wild Force theme. We have Benson, Cassidy, Finn and Rollins and their front row and center, which is the craziest thing of the episode for me. And this time there's a sign on the other side of the stage and it's for cold ice cream and there's a cute drawing, so it's getting ice cream in a comedy show. So we have cold ice cream and hot fries. Baby, it's like a baseball park. I don't understand these signs, I know, because the only thing I can imagine is like a brownie with ice cream like that. That's with you? But like, what a cone? What are we? What's happening? But Cassidy's a huge fan of this guy. And then he's like, let's be open minded. He used to be funny, and that's a Rollins because of course she's going to defend this guy. She goes, he's a smart comedian. He just never got attention until he started all this rape stick. And this is how I feel about twenty sixteen Trump at the election, the rise of white nationalism, like all of this. It's like, you know, no one cared about this smart, great guy until the rape stick. And that's how I feel about so many comedians where they leaned in and their audiences are just yeah, they hate woke, you know, Like I just think so many people have created and blown up and now are are so rich selling out to audiences of truly scum. Yeah. Yeah, the what did Hillary Clinton call it? The not powerables, the deplorables. Yeah, they're like deplorables. Yeah, and they're funny people, but like they just didn't start making money until this divide of like woke and not woke. And you know they're doing good, but when the when the dust settles, you guys will be in the Nazi camp, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But like we got we all know this like comic who got like basically canceled because he was like abusing multiple girls who are in the comedy community as their boyfriend. And then he just was like okay and went totally right wing and now he's like well known in the right right wing circle. Like he just pivoted and was like, Okay, now I'm like a right wing lunatic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if all I was like to become a racist? Yeah because yeah, so whatever, So that's what happened. And everyone's our Sineo hall, like, what is this move? It's called the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, I don't know what you call it, like the elbow wrist roll, I don't know.
Speaker 1: To me, it's their Sineo forever. Yeah. The Genie does it in Aladdin as well. Yeah, but I don't that that might be too too specific. And he's cocky, he's got another bottle of water, and you know, this is a rare moment where I'm not a fan of Benson. So he makes a joke. He goes, wow, two nights at a college. This sounds like a commitment. I don't like that, and Benson whispers to Cassidy. At least the other guy was funny. And to me, it's like it was one opening joke. If someone in the front row had this much attitude, I would hate this person. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's not that bad of a joke. It's not even again swimming, it's not a rape joke. It's just like, guys, are we gonna committed relationship. Yeah, yeah, it's like cheesy, yeah, because I do a bit sometimes where if like someone's not clapping in the front row, I go, why didn't you clap, You're a bitch, and then people laugh and it's just like silly and they think it's silly. And one time a woman truly in the front responder was like, well, you didn't do anything to deserve it, and it's like, oh, no, no, no, you just like clap when someone comes on stage, you dumb cunt, like you know what I mean. And then she said something else rude to me, and her energy sucked and I did call her a hunt. And then her friend came and they started having a loud This was like recent and they start having a loud conversation. I was like, okay, now you're all talking, like what's up, and she goes, she's just filling me in because you called her a cunt, and I'm like, yeah, and you're both proving that your giant cunts and we all hate you, so you could have proven to me that you're great, but you keep talking. Their energy sucked and throughout the rest of the show energy not good. But the crowd really didn't like them, and then I made fun of them the whole night, and Benson is being these this type of person where it's like, but of course she doesn't have an open mind. She hates him. It's the threat comic, right. But them sitting in the front row is nuts.
Speaker 2: But I think he said I'll get you VIP tickets, So I think he sat them there. I just I just remembered that because I'm back when I first watched herself, I was like, why are they sitting there?
Speaker 1: This is so crazy? But I think that's he sat them there. I just would have started in on her for sure, Like, yeah, I came on stage and immediately after my first joke someone went well at least everyone else was funny. I would be like nice haircut, you know. I would immediately get involved. Yeah. To me, it's like the idea of your coming in and you're energy is why don't you prove you're funny to me? Versus Oh, I'm here for a good time. I want to laugh. Yeah, Yeah, that's that's the energy. I didn't clap because you didn't deserve it yet, And it's like you just clap when people come on stage. You psycho okay, so anyways, and if you want to be bad, sit in the back. So anyways, and he does what you would do. He immediately tell you know, goes in on live and then he tells everyone she's a cop, and everyone booze.
Speaker 2: That's always the line that kills me, because he goes give it up for special victims everybody, and everybody's like, bib, like it's crazy, well because I get booing for cops acab.
Speaker 1: But then once he said special victims, yeah, it's like I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: You're helping women and children usually yeah, And he's like, you know, these cops think my jokes cause people to rape.
Speaker 1: And then he starts talking about you know what he said she said and how that's not real rape, and I think he's too angry here and he was funny or the first night he says consent is not for him, consent has gone too far. He's just like mad that consent is the thing. And then he's annoyed about consent. He uses bar receipts his evidence, like I bought her six drinks, that's my consent, and Benson heckels and goes, wow, that's funny. And then she gets booed. Then he calls her sarge and it's like, chill out, have fun. I'll get you a drink and I'll keep the receipt. And then he goes, I'm kidding, I'm kidding, and he says he's he actually fucked TSU's finest trash sluts last night. And to me again another aside, I'm so sorry, Casey, you're gonna have to edit so much of this episode. But when I see college kids now, they look like such children. To me, it is actually weird that forty year olds are fucking college students. Yeah, they look like babies. It's weird, it's creepy. I don't care if it's above the law. It is uncomfortable. And you're a predator and you're a freak. I really hate it. Yeah, because you can tell her when people are like, I don't know, she looked eighteen, it's like, no, she didn't. We know what children like they look so yuh, even the eighteen year olds don't look eighteen. Yeah. I've walked into bars where people are twenty one I'm assuming and been like, oh, I'm too old to be here. I don't want to be around these children. So then he calls her a little spinner and that is, yeah, that's not good. They were, and so he said they ordered room service champagne and mazzarella sticks, which to me is like, I can't think of a greater evening. He then says they have mind blowing sex. I have a hard time believing that, since he's so against consent, there's no way he's giving mind blowing sex. And then he says he was so hammered he doesn't even remember, so I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure was so mind blowing a blacked out man like and then he goes, but I have a question. Was that rape? We're both drunk and naked. Was it rape? He's and then he starts quoting.
Speaker 1: He's like, I heard a feminist one time say anytime a girl is drunk, it's considered rape. And it's like where the oaks babe wearing punchlines from the first night. So here's the joke. He goes, I'm half Irish, so for me, it means that all the women on my side of the family were raped by the men, going back twenty generations. Benson goes, I'm done, and she gets up to leave, and then he starts doing an Irish accent and and he says, oh, get Mike Grund. I'm bad at accents. Do you want to do it? Do you see the note? What e is he say?
Speaker 2: He says, I'll get my grandmother for Christmas a rape kit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was it. So then all the cops leave, and Cassidy seems upset because he has front row seats to his favorite comic and they're outside, there's Christmas lights around, there's you know, signs of snow on the ground, and Benson says, ugh, I need to take a shower. He's vile, and Cassidy's like, girl, he was baiting you. And ronin'sys like, listen, we can't charge him because we don't like what he said. And then the drunk girl from the night before runs down. She's like, wait, are you really SVU Detectives and he and she's like, you know that drunk TSU girl he was talking about in his set, that's me and I think he raped me. In their commercial break obviously a commercial, so she's in a glitter long sleeve shirt that's layered with pink lace. It's cue and she seems like her tuition is paid in full. By her parents and she has great eyebrows necklace or she's fooling us and it's all marshals, but she's selling it. And she says that she's president of the student Activities Board and she helped organize the Josh comedy event. She stayed around after his sets to make sure everything was okay, and he brought her drinks at the bar and he was drinking too, and then you know, she did have a head start because she was drinking at the show and she was drunk and Omar was like, okay, it's goodyear beings straightforward with us, and she's like, we danced, we made out the bar clothes and he had a car waiting for us outside, and he said that that he had a super cool hotel room that was paid for by the student association, so I should come by and see it. And she remembers getting there, but she doesn't remember Champagne. Everything is hazy. She doesn't remember anything except for when she woke up in the middle of the night. She was being raped. She was sodomized. She was face down in a pillow, legs hanging off the bed and he was inside of her. And she starts to cry and it hurt a lot, and it was anal So she says that she said no and stop, but he said, hang on, doll, I'm almost finished, and she wipes away tears. She didn't leave, though she said she was too drunk to leave, so she did stay there in the morning, and then he gave her a swag bag with like T shirts, hat and gift cards and he had a bunch of them in the closet and Rollin said, did you tell anyone what happened? She goes, no, but I wrote an email to him, but I never sent it. And Ronin's is like, good, don't open it, don't do anything. It's in your drafts folder. Don't touch it. We will get into it. And she takes a set from a paper cup. And now we're in a walk and talk. Barbara's in the middle, flanked by Benson and Tomorrow. This is a very sexy threesome and He's says this is super gray, and Benson goes, this is black and white, and he's like, it's a rape comic and it's not the same as a rapist. Do you have more evidence? And they're waiting for a rape kit, but the prelimic exam shows that. And this is Mulani's joke back in the day from his first special New in Town where he goes, you know, you can't swear on TV, but SVU gets to say crazy shit on primetime, And this is one of those sentences where Benson goes, it showed forceful anal penetration with bruising, tearing and swelling. Not good. Barbara's being so bitchy, holding his coffee looking down like, okay, she didn't know she was raped until he made fun of her and his monologue and he's like it was a confession, not a monologue. And Barba's like, you don't like him, and we can't go after him because of the stand up routine, and you know it's he'll become like a free speech hero. And Benson and Tomorrow are pleading with him, like this guy is a classic power assertive rapist, and Tomorrow is like, there are post sex swag bags, Barbara, come on, let's track his financials. Maybe there are other victims. Barbara says, fine, get another VIC and I'll get you a warrant and he spins away, and Renee Clark is with the detectives being like she's a party girl and she heckled me that night, and babe, and it's like, you heckled too. You're all hecklers. Okay, you're all hecklers. You're all terrible audience members. But this guy is a rapist. I don't know if we should have talked about comedies so much up top because he is a bad person. Yeah, I but you know, what are we gonna do? So she's like, it's ironic now that she wants my help, and Benson's like, well, I'm glad you're helping her. You are a hero. You go girl. So she doesn't get why he isn't a rent arrested though, and Benson's like, we're on it, like you guys that we're a TV show, but we can't remove this fast. Okay, So tomorrow isn't having luck tracking swag bag money. But Rollins did find something interesting. Out of one hundred and twenty bookings last year, he only canceled one in Albany and it's the student union guy. I was pissed because the police held him up at a previous gig. In New Pulse, Finn chimes in the New Palse, PD would only confirm that they questioned him about an accusation, and Renee Clark is suddenly part of the squad. She's just there brainstorming and the DA didn't press charges there either, and Finn explains that the girl recant did, so let's find out why. Also, New Pults is a village in New York. It's eighty miles north of NYC, and it's a Sunni What is at State University of New York And it said that the school is super competitive and it's a rich hippie town. Is the vibe I got. So they're off to New Pats and so we're I think, I don't know how I said it earlier. So we're at a dorm room of Aubrey Audrey Truffett Trafe Trufo Trufo Trufo, Audrey, beautiful name. So it's a Sunday and they're working on a Sunday. She doesn't want to be talking to them, and they noticed she was. She has a really nice watch and they're like, oh, was that diamond watch part of the deal And she covers it quickly with her sleeve and she's like, listen, Josh was just being nice And Rollins is like when he raped you and she doesn't like that, and they asked what happened. She says she was drunk. It was rougher what she's used to and she's like, I guess everyone likes it differently, but I think he thought it was normal. And Finn is like why because he gave you a gift bag and she's shocked, like how do they know about it? And they're like, babe, you're not the first one to accuse him. And they asked if she kept the bag, and she is upset and she can't really talk about it, and Rollins gets closer with her, bangs swoopier than ever, and she says, there's nothing in your non disclosure agreement about showing us what's in the bag? Was there? She agrees, walks towards her closet and she hands over the bag. She did use some of the gift cards, but everything else is untouched. There's a mug and Rollins is like, okay, maybe we can get a warrant. So we're in the office. It's back to tomorrow and Benson trying to convince Barbara to give a damn and love. Anique pulled the serial note. This is the gift card, and he buys gift cards and batches of twelve and tomorrow jokes cheaper by the dozen. So now everyone wants to be a comedian. Now I have a story. I know I've had too many stories, and I apologize. So we have a friend. And months and months ago she went a little viral. We posted it, but she went on a date. She went on some dates with us U New York Detective Special Victims Unit detective. Oh yeah yeah, and you know, I don't know if they had a fund. They had a fun few dates. So while we're at while we're in Austin, she sends me a screenshot He texts her going, hey, any advice on someone who wants to start comedy and what open mics to go to? And it's like, babe, why don't you go test the rape kits? How about that we don't have detective were asking for a friend? No, oh my god. And it's like, can you just solve the rapes? We need help, we need we have enough comedians. We have way too many comedians. What we don't have is SVU detectives that are doing their job. No, no, but nikes. See there was just a huge article about how that New York SVU is like working at like a four percent closure rate or something like they're doing horrible. Will you send me that? I have to send it to our friend to send to him because it's like, babe, there's no time for open mics. So they tracked all the gift cards to the recipients. Most of the girls said it was consensual sex, even though it was more aggressive than they felt comfortable with. They are also not comfortable with pressing charges. Barba still is like, this is not enough. There is no case, and Benson's like so fucking pissed, but they keep going back and forth, arguing Benson is guilting him. Barba's giving in with a sigh. Somorrow meets him in the lobby and he's sad. Rollins isn't there. He's like, where's the cute blonde? And Tomorrow's like, cut the stick. Do you recognize this girl? Shows the photo of the party girl. He's like, I don't know, maybe if you have a photo of the top of her head. Tomorrow hate Jesus and I hate him. We all hate him, and he's like, I'm kidding, and Finn is like, do you know Carly ride out and she's accusing you of rape. And then Finn twists the knife and says, lets him know he's not gonna be able to buy himself out of this one with a diamond watch. And he's like, oh, you're talking about new pals, and he's like, all ought. He says, Audrey, that little chuckle slut. He plays an amazing asshole. I mean, this is such a great performance. And I've never heard chuckle slut.
Speaker 2: They're called chuckle fuckers, but this was obviously what they had to do to make it palatable for television.
Speaker 1: But chuckle slut. But I lay little chuckle slut. I do like that little chuckle flut. So he says that she recanted, and so will this chick. Finn says, well, the DA disagrees, which is untrue. Barbara does not want to take this to trial. Benson is forcing this upon him. You bullied him into it. So this is all funny to me too. The comics love it. And he does not realize, like, no, no, no, you're a rapist. So he's like, this is a political case. Awesome news. I'm the right guy. Omaro goes call your attorney. He loves being arrested. The paparazzis already outside the hotel. He calls Iced Tea jay Z and he wants a show, so let's do this. He dedicates his arrest to Lenny Bruce, and it's like, I think Lenny Bruce just swore. I think you raped. But okay, So that's another thing comics will sometimes do, but where they're like comics, we gotta have each other's back. Comics, we're all comics. We gotta have each other's back. And it's like no, no, no, we are people and I hate you, Like, yeah, I support. I would have comics backs and saying shit, but it's like a lot of you guys suck. Like there's more to like comebacks.
Speaker 2: When people say that guys are fucking creeps, they don't have the backs.
Speaker 1: There's no backs. Then, yeah, why don't you have our backs? Yeah damn, that's a good point. Oh yeah, comics only have each other's back. Yeah, just say god, I need a joint. I'm like a too stressed out. Ohkay. So then he's got the big bucks. So he has Elizabeth Marvel aka Rita Calhoun, and she's on the courtroom steps on a brisk new York Day, and they're focusing on the material of all this, not the rape part. They keep mentioning free speech censorship. So then one reporter asked, Josh, is rape funny? Any responds no, of course not, and then a guy reporter shouts, but gang rape is, and then all the reporters giggle and he goes, no, I respect women, many of whom are my fans. So now we're in court and the party girls on the stand and she's reading her unsent email. Josh, I'm really confused about what happened last night. It was fun at first, but you so crossed the line. I'm really sore. I don't get why you didn't listen to me when I said stop. It wasn't okay what you did with me. She says. The reason she didn't send it was because she had to work with him that night, because she is the student activity chair. And Barba's like, okay, let's get through the night, and they recap what happened to her show drinks, hotel, kiss bed, and then she's holding tears back. He was really force full at first. She went along with it, but the room was spinning. She passed out when she woke up. He was sodomizing her. She continued that it hurt. She said, no, she was crying. He didn't listen, and he did whatever he wanted. She then stayed the night, and she goes, she was too drunk to leave, but she slept on the bathroom floor. Now it's Rita's turn, and we know this is not going to be easy. So she's like, you've been to six of Josh Galloway's shows last year. You're a groupie. And she goes, I was a fan, and she's like, didn't you want to sleep with him? And she goes, yeah, you know, I'm not sure what I wanted, and which is fair, like you know what I mean, You're also allowed to change your mind. Yeah, you drank at the bar and made out you wanted it, didn't you. And she admits that she was flattered, and Rita's like, well, you loved the room service and sex, didn't you. And then the girl screams back that wasn't sex. I would never have sex there. I definitely did not want it, and I told him that it hurt. She then says, You've I felt no pain the rest of the night. Huh. Barbara calls an objection. So then she pushes about the booze and is like, you're you're drunk, and the girl is very Tinsey Mortimer in this, and she goes, yeah, I'm drinking leu Ayne again. People are allowed to drink. She's doing the classics. Lets shame drunk, shame of a rape victim and counting her drinks. Calls her a binge drinker and says you use alcoholic experiment and being a slut. So that's that there's objections. The court case gets wild. Benson shakes her head in the stands, John shakes, Josh shakes his head. No, now we watch someone watch Josh vlogging his trial. He names her even though it's an anonymous accuser, So fuck you, dude. Is there like a log inside? So shitty? Yeah, I'm sure. I mean publications are not allowed to I don't know about individuals. So then we pull back and on the screen and the whole team is watching it on a bar, so Cassidy's in the middle holding the screen. I think it's an iPad. And then at tomorrow Finn, Rollins and Benson all at the bar and it's a bar that I would like to be at. It looks like divy and perfect. You know, this guy is just not understanding the difference between sex and rape, and he's willfully not seeing a difference. And then he shows a video from the show, and this is where things get a little hard on the case. This girl was wasted and she acted super quote unquote easy, and this video evidence is her being just like a drunk slut at the show. And she gets on stage, she flashes him her bra and she was into being like partying, and then you know, they keep nicknaming her party girls. So then josh on this video goes you know what else, starts with pete perjury and it's I want to fire out, like you want to kill this man? Like yeah, so Ben's soever, you know, he's laughing. Benson runs out of the bar. She's very upset. Barbara is on the big screen TV and showing Carly the video. She's so embarrassed, like who got this video? And Barbara's mad at rawlins like that they didn't find it or how it's spread, and so he's mad that they didn't do better police work. Barba's being a brat and he runs out upset about the case. And they're in judge's chambers and the lawyers are going head to head. So Rita is denying knowing about the video. Barba's pocket square is popping. She wants it in as evidence. Barbara wants a full mistrial. That's denied. Benson is walking down the courtroom lobby now and she's like, I mean it's an uphill battle, I understand, but the video is excluded and Barbara's straight up like shut up. So that's that. So now Benson's on the stand, Rita's going at her and she's like still hammering on about the drinking of it all. And Rita also has a very ugly low ponytail. It's like a comb over poof in the front and a low pony in the back. Josh is smiling. He loves all of this, and Benson and Barbara are back to walking and she is like, sorry to fucking up this, you know, trial, So she fucked up on the stand and she's like, I fucked up. I'm so sorry. This is my first back on the stand since William Lewis. And he interrupts her and goes, yeah, I know, and it doesn't matter. Barbara then accuses Benson of pushing this case for her own ego, and Benson is shocked, and then they go into a private room to fight, and she's like, what did you just say? And he says, well, you took over the squad and you want to make a big name for yourself, so you're taking down this celebrity to show everyone how you're not scared. And she's like shocked, and she's like, that's how you feel about me, Like you know that that's not me. I'm not an ego driven person and you know that. And he brings up her tough year and that she's going through a lot, and she's like, wait, so is it my ego or is it that my judgment's impaired And he goes, no, my judgment's impaired. And I'm pissed that I took this case and your squad did a shitty fucking job investigating, and I'm annoyed. And so she's pissed and she's like, I thought we had each other's back and he says so did I and walks off. And so now Josh's on the stand and he's crushing it. Okay, he's doing jokes. Thing is serious to him. This is a rape trial. He does not give a fuck. He is laughing it up. Rita Calhoun is casually leaning on the stand like they're like talking at a bar. He's ragging on the uh on Carly the party girl, and how she came back after the show, and that the only reason she brought up these allegations are after the show where he did jokes making fun about her, and you know she took the gift bag and the jury is cracking up about this gift bag and the judge, and then he turns to the judge and he goes, how you doing, and Barbara is sitting. He's sassy, and you know he's doing the ice. He's school of acting. He's sitting instead of standing when he starts the questioning, so Barbara goes, okay, so you're saying this is just like a one night stand and her feelings got her and that's that. And he goes, yes, she came after me hard, and he asks if that happens to him a lot, and he says yes, I'm very famous and I'm very funny and people want to fuck me and the jury is loving it, laughing, and Barbara ads, and and you're good looking, and I don't get that is Barba flirting. I know.
Speaker 2: I think he's trying to lull him into a false sense of security so he can go after him.
Speaker 1: Ooh, so, but I don't think this is going well. So they flirt a little. He brings up anal sex and he goes, that's not illegal in the state of New York. He calls this whole trial a joke, and Barbara brings up consent and he's like, she went up to my hotel room, she came into my bed. It's hard to shoot a moving target. And Barbara quickly is like, how about an unconscious one. Barba's like, the emmy said that Carly suffered many injuries, and so he goes, so did I. That's the funny thing about sex, You get injured. And again the jury's laughing. That wasn't even that funny. Everyone's laughing. Barbara's trying to be serious, and finally he's like, is this all funny to you? Her pain, her screaming, her sleeping on the bathroom floor, and he gets sassy again, and I mean, he refuses to be serious. He's like, oh, were you there? I didn't realize I had a threesome. Barbara flips like, oh my god, this trial's just material for you. Huh. And then Josh calls himself an artist and Barbara questions him and he goes, listen, life is my material. Racism, incest, rape. If you don't joke about it, you cry. And it's like, no, if you got raped and then made jokes, that would be great. You can't make jokes as the rapist. Yeah, Like it makes no sense. So he says that it's his job as a social satirist satirist. Why do you say that word satirist? I didn't, so both of my options were, okay, a satirist. So finally he gets serious. He's like, you got to shock people and go there and make them think about Christian hypocrisy. And Barba's like, okay, so forcing yourself onto a pass out twenty one year old is part of your act. And he's like again he's the victim, and he's like, this trial is bogus, you know, And he's like, this isn't a rape trial. This is a trial about a young girl who got in over her head. And it's like, is that not a confession to me? That's a confession? Yeah, Like, because if someone's over their head in something, and they go, wait, I don't want to do this. You should stop. I don't know okay, and he again is just like, she had a fantasy about becoming part of my world, but when the coach turned back into a pumpkin, she cried and then cried rape. And instead of getting over it, you sue. And if you think she's not gonna sue, I have a bridge to sell you. And Barbara interrupts, so wait, is she after you for your money or we want you silenced, or we're mad at you for calling out Christians? And he adds and my success, I am not guilty, and I'm sorry if her feelings got her. I did not rape that girl. Nothing further. So then we get a shot of Renee Clark looking panicked as hell, and then a shot of Carly looking pissed as hell, and we're in a busy hallway and there's a little chat session going on about like what's gonna happen, and Benson's like, yeah, I mean they saw the video, and Renee is like, ugh, Carly is such a waste case. She then is like fuck, I feel bad. I was a victim and now I'm victim blaming Ben's and is like, we both know Carly didn't want this to happen, but she is a dumb slut. Both things can be true. And Renee is like, what about all the other girls, and she explains the judge won't allow it because and then Renee is like, okay, so we need another victim. What if we set him up? And Benson goes the NYPD cannot approach him during this trial without his lawyer, and Renee's like, what if it's not the NYPD? And Renee's like, anything that you're thinking of doing, you are not doing it. He is a dangerous man. And she's like, okay, fine, yeah he's dangerous. And now he's about to get to go free. And Benson's like, well, you brought him to trial, maybe he'll think twice before raping again. Huh. So then Benson walks off, Renee rushes off the bench, and I think we know what's about to happen. She will not be listening to Benson. Josh is sitting at a bustling bar and we see Renee enter the bar in disguise with like a confused outfit. For sure, there's buns, there's glasses, there's drop earrings. There's heels that are so of this time and like a professional tight dress. The music is bumping. She walks towards Josh, who's on his phone drink and like he's drinking and then just scrolling on his phone. So this is he's definitely a comic. This is how I spend most of my life on the road, just alone at a bar on my phone. They start flirting. He asks if he knows her, and she's like, oh, we met a few years ago. He pretends to remember her. What are you drinking? YadA YadA. We're at the hotel. The champagne is being poored. She says she's nervous, and he sits her down and goes, that's what the booze is for a girl. He takes off her glasses and places them on the nightstand. She takes her butt down and he calls her pretty, and they start to kiss and everything is fine. But then she looks at her phone and is like, oh fuck, that's the third text for my boyfriend. And he's like boyfriend and she's like fuck. He tracks my phone. I have to go and he's like no and then blocks her and he grabs the bottle of champagne and says, what once we pop, we don't stop? She says, sorry, I really have to go. He grabs her arm, pulls her back and won't let her leave the hotel room. She keeps saying no and how she has to go. He does not compute. He's like, what are you talking about? How do you? What do you mean? Like he's very Hilaria bald when here he's like, no, how do you Koma does wait? You do great cucumber? Yeah. Yeah, so he's doing that like he doesn't know what no means. She's fighting him off. It gets really uncomfortable. It's a really intense scene. It's really hard to watch the scene. Yeah yeah. She keeps saying stop. He goes, fine, if you like it rough, I can get rough, throws her on the bed. She continues to scream. She is now crying. She pushed. He pushes her face down under the bed. She is fighting for her life. He is going to rape her and he has no intentions to stop. He's pulling her hair as she cries, and finally she kicks him and is able to get up from his grip, and while she's sitting up, he rips her dress. Off, and she stands up and he says, oh, now you're ready to party, So then she kicks him again and then has to kick him in the dick. Finally he falls over and screams God. She grabs her glasses off the nightstand and runs off, and he's yelling like, hey, where are you going, and it's like away from you what? And he calls her a bitch. And now we watch the attack on a laptop screen and Barba slowly shuts the laptop screen down as we see a smug, eyewin look on his face. Josh is sitting there and still doesn't look like he's taking any of this seriously. Rita Calhoun looks at him, like this fucking idiot and says there was a camera in her eyeglasses. Rita accuses the NYPD of doing this. Barba assures her that she did it all on her own and bought her spyware glasses at best Buy. Shout out, yeah, she probably has a receipt and I'm sure that Taru got something better than best Buy spyglasses, so proof. And Rita is like, who cares? This won't be admissible regardless, and thinks the NYPD still did this. Barba is calm and confident. He says, she did this on her own, and I'm not looking to use it at this trial. I'm bringing on a new case, bitch attempted rape and sexual assault. And Josh's like, hey, what is this? First the vendetta, now a shakedown and it's like, you try to rape someone on camera?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: So even his lawyers like, Josh stop, So finally he shuts up and she's like, I'm sure me and Barba can work something out, and he smiles. So now it's Carly in a little Wednesday Adams caller and asking Finn and Rollins like, damn, Josh agreed to a deal. He's not going to jail, but he is going to be a registered sex defender for ten years, and she goes, wow, so does this mean I can sue him? And she smiles, and Rollin says that's your call, and Finn judges her and leans back in his chair and Benson and Barbara, the two Bees, are spying on the two way mirror and they're like, this bitch is a piece of work. Damn. And then we get info that Renee's video of Josh can never see the light of day. It all has to remain confidential, and Amara was like, I mean he still wins. This is bullshit, And Benson tries to be like, I mean he pled guilty and he's on the registry and Amara was like yeah, and he walks right back on stage and Barbara says, who knows. I mean the court of public opinion is strong. But also he's going to sell theaters now, the venues will get bigger. I think they under a spad. How many people love a rapist?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then Benson then needs to stick it to Barbara and is like, so it was the right thing to do to bring this case up right, and he says, don't fish. You snatched a tie out of the jaws of defeat. And then he goes, you want to stay commanding officer. I want you to stay commanding officer. Don't bring me cases like this, and he walks off with a little briefcase. Omar's like what the fuck and Benson goes Ego and he's like, you saved his ass and she goes, well, yeah, after I put it out on the line, and Amaro goes, no, he will get over it, and so will Cassidy. And she goes what very defensively, and he's like, well, you took down his favorite comic, and she says good night and he walks away. Another reason why Cassidy was not the right person for Live, Like this guy is his favorite comic. Yeah, and her cell phone rings and it's Brian Cassidy and she read button rejects it. And then this is just like a crossover, like who cares about this ending? But knock knock gets Sophia Bush as Detective Aaron Lindsay from Chicago p D. And she said that the raspy voiced man Voight had called and they need help on an ear cutting rape case. Because Benson knows the m O. They didn't get far and investigating, and then Sophia's like, damn, how did you guys even like do this? No witnesses, no evidence. This makes me feel like a rookie again. And Benson sits down powerfully and says, for what it's worth, your boss said you were the smartest detective he's ever worked with. But I'll get you those notes and the and you know, email whatever you need. So she came to New York for this ear file. Sophia Bush can't believe that Voight said nice things about her, and Benson says good luck. Sophia smiles, and then Benson's alone in her chair and that's that's it. I hate like she came from Chicago to get files. It's so confusing. I don't, yeah, because this is before the like Rednecks stuff, like, this is before all the cross So yeah, I just I don't. I don't like it. I don't like the ending. I wish yeah, and ended is as big as it started. I talked for too long. This is a nightmare at Casey have fun editing, all right, say where you are when you come back. We've got some crime, Okay. So we talked about this a little bit up top.
Speaker 2: Like the general theme of this episode is obviously ripped from like comics with controversial jokes. And at this time you may or may not remember, but I remember this that Daniel Tosh had a very controversial moment where he had a rape joke and he said it at a show and a woman at the show yelled out, actually, rape jokes are never funny, and then Tash replied, wouldn't it be funny if that girl got raped by like five guys right now? Like right now, what if a bunch of guys just raped her dot dog? Okay, I remember this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now I forgot all about this and now I'm back and I remember that. Yeah. So that was his quote.
Speaker 2: And like a lot of comics, like a lot of comics that we know and like, were coming to his defense.
Speaker 1: A lot of comics.
Speaker 2: Were saying, like I've probably just said earlier, like he has. You know, it's just gotta be funny whatever, But this.
Speaker 1: Is also a thing where she heckled and you have to think quick, you know what I mean, Like, and I bet that's just where his brain went and he had to shut it down, you know what I mean, Because it's like you have multiple you have a few seconds to decide how you're gonna respond. Yeah, well he apologized later, I guess to the woman like through a blog or something. This all happened like right before this episode, like twenty thirteen. And then he also defended his initial jokes and like that people have to be able to joke about whatever they want. Well, because it's like everyone has their own sensitive thing, like you can't you can't take everyone's needs into account when you're performing, Like I just got like an angry message from someone about a joke I have. It's a quick bit about diabetes. I am the butt of the joke. Yeah, but a woman wrote that, like her kid almost died because of diabetes, and what a serious illness. And it's like, I'm sorry, we can't take diabetes off the table, like because of your child. And it's same, it's like I'm sorry if your grandfather died in a fire, but like we can we can't. You can't question Yeah, you can't just do a questionnaire of every audience and everything's off the table. And obviously there's more like traumatic and fucked up topics like rape, but everyone has their own sad things. Everyone has lived a life, everyone has sensitive topics. You can't say every like it's off limits, and a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, differently, a lot of people feel differently about those topics. They like to hear jokes about them or they don't, you know. So it's just too many people to you can't. You just can't please everybody, And like.
Speaker 1: This is exciting. I'm excited to hear everything though, because I forgot about the Tosham right when you said that, I'm like that, yep, I remember this well.
Speaker 2: That's kind of that's kind of all I have for that. Like basically that was like where that like little piece, like that general piece of the beginning and like with the whole renee part in her standing up and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: That's where that came from.
Speaker 2: The gift swagbag reference comes from a rumor published by The New York Post that said that Derek Jeter gave gift baskets to women after and one night stands. A source said to the Post quote, Derek has girls stay with him at his apartment in New York, and then he gets them a car to take them home the next day. Waiting in his car is a gift basket containing signed Jeter memorabilia, usually as signed baseball end quote. Jeter replied and said, I read the article. You know, you see it, and then it's like, how the fuck did people come up with this? You know, basically that's it, and who would believe this shit?
Speaker 1: And you believe it? End of quote.
Speaker 2: So Derek jer denies it. Derek Jeter denies it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, honestly, I bet you could sell an autograph baseball for a lot of money, Like I wouldn't I don't know if it's a nice little gift. Yeah, but he's better than a mug like to get And I don't think Derek Jeter is raping. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's where the gift bag idea came from, because that article came out like right before this art this episode, and then.
Speaker 1: Narnini leaks too one time told an audience member, I hope you get raped, and then her tour was canceled and I have shever did's stand up again? Yeah. I look at that like that's the difference between a woman saying something and also a black woman saying something than a white man who goes. I said it, and I apologized.
Speaker 2: I'm moving on, gonna keep going with my show that's on television and my tours, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, you know, I don't think anyone Yeah, totally. Okay.
Speaker 2: So this episode is based on a couple of crazy crimes. One is the story of Vince Champ, who was a former stand up comedian who won Star Search in nineteen ninety two and he won one hundred thousand dollars. Okay, he did clubs and colleges all over the country.
Speaker 1: Everybody loved this guy.
Speaker 2: He was known as a clean comic, which, if you don't know, just means no swearing, not talking about really sex or anything blue and college bookers love that shit. Like college bookers would be like, please don't swear, Please don't talk about XYZ topics. Like So, he was booking colleges all over the place. Everybody said nicest, sky, clean as a whistle. And guess what a fucking serial rapist. This guy would find victims on the college campuses, like not at his shows like in the episode, but he would go to like the computer labs or music rooms and he'd find girls by themselves. He would cover their faces so that they couldn't see him. He would assault them and talk to them while he was assaulting them like this. One victim said, quote, I was just trying to do anything to get out of there alive as quickly as possible. But she said that while he was assaulting her, he asked her about her sexual history, her parents, her siblings, her roommate, and then he like threatened to take her id so that he could find her later, threaten her with scissors, and he told her if she didn't play along, he would, you know, beat her face in, And he didn't do any of that. He never took her id and he never like beat her up, but you know, he told her wait five minutes and then asked her to pray for him after he left like as he left like sick.
Speaker 1: And he did this to multiple people.
Speaker 2: And then in May of nineteen ninety seven, he was attempting to rape a woman at Pasadena City College here right near me where I live, and that's where the NPR station that I listened to is out of, and the woman screamed. He ran witnesses her the scream and got his license plate number, and he got arrested the next day. And then his DNA popped on a bunch of other rapes at college campuses, and one of his agents said that his college schedule looked like quote a road map of where these rapes occurred. So he was only convicted of three of them, but he's linked to a bunch more. But he's currently serving thirty to forty year sentence at in Nebraska for rapes that he committed in that state, and as soon as he is set to be released in twenty thirty three, he's facing two life sentences for rapes he did in Iowa. So he's never getting out, which is amazing, but like universally revered as like a nice guy comic, and he would apparently chastise other comics for like their material being too blue the way Cosby used to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clean comedians are always on a high horse. And it's like, after Bill Cosby, your argument has crumbled. Yeah, swear a little.
Speaker 2: So that's one fucked up like old case from not that old, but from the nineties.
Speaker 1: And then he's in jail forever.
Speaker 2: And then this one is what I always remember thinking that it was based on because this happened in twenty thirteen, like seven months before this episode came out. There's a comic named Adam Scott Richmond. And on July twenty ninth, twenty thirteen, in Bloomington, Minnesota, the cops were called at about three am to an assault progress and they were told a woman was yelling at a man to stop and get away. This woman worked as a server at Rick Bronson's comedy club at the Mall of America.
Speaker 1: Do you know this venue? I've performed there multiple times. Oh okay, wait, this is so wild. Yeah yeah, I've performed there. They own a club, they own multiple clubs, so I've performed at Rick Bronson's comedy clubs in like Edmonton and Arizona and at the Mall of America. But I love living in a mall. Yes, I've never been to the Mall of America. I'd love to go. And once I performed there during Black Friday weekend and everyone was like uh oh, and I was like, oh, I got all the sales. I had a wedding to go, like, I needed to buy stuff for all these events and I had. I got to hit up all the sales, eat Starbucks for breakfast, and walk around the mall and it was like a dream.
Speaker 2: I would have just assumed it would be packed, but I guess it's like the world's biggest or like the biggest mall that it's probably not as packed as like a regular size mall.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and there's tons to do there. I mean, I can't believe this was a server at a place that I know. This is like crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this server had become acquainted with a California based comedian named Adam Scott Richmond, who has been seen on NBC's Last Comic Standing, as he had headlined that club various times over a five year period, and over the years, I guess he had allegedly hit on her a bunch of times. And then on the date of this assault, she agreed to let Richmond come to her house after the comedy show for a few drinks, and she told him she had no romantic interest in him, and then the two of them drank in her house with two of her roommates for a little while. He made inappropriate comments to her, grabbed her, and she denied him repeatedly and punched him, and then her roommates want to sleep. I don't know, I don't want a victim blame, but it's like, get the guy out of there before the roommates go to sleep. Anyway, after they went to sleep, he became aggressive, touched her inappropriately, told her he quote wanted to quote make love to her. She punched him several times, told him to leave, and called a cab for him. And then in the complain in the official A complaint, it says Richmond knocked her to the ground, reached up her dress and touched her inappropriately, also exposed himself to her, and that she pushed him away, and that he finally just took off in the taxi that she'd called for him, so police then caught up with him at his Ramada Hotel room and arrested him, and he told police he was quote maybe a little aggressive. I tried to kiss her, I might have grabbed her end quote, and police said Richmond also had a blood alcohol level of zero point one point seven at the time, so he was quite drunk, and he admitted to police that he exposed himself to the woman and wrestled her to the ground, thinking it was flirtatious. He was charged with one count of fourth degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of third degree attempted criminal sexual conduct, and if he was convicted of both of those, he would have received twenty five years in prison or up to twenty five years in prison in fifty thousand dollars in fines. But as usual, men get away with everything, and at his trial, Richmond asked for a bench trial instead of a jury trial, and then the judge, Daniel Maybley, said that both parties were drunk, and they were there were inconsistencies in the story, so in both of their stories. So in June of twenty fourteen, he was acquitted and I went on it.
Speaker 1: I also admitted like to the police. He admitted to being aggressive and grabbing her and wrestling her. Like, he admitted to that, so he thought it was like flirtatious and so I guess they thought it didn't constitute assault, Like it's crazy, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I thought he would have gotten something. And his website. I went to his website. It said he had tour dates in Japan and Korea in February. So I'm not sure what he's up to.
Speaker 1: Beyond that.
Speaker 2: We have forty six Facebook friends in common, and his last tweets are supporting Elon Musk and complaining about the release of Britney Griner. So this guy is fucking horrible. He's like a sleeze. And then I went on his Instagram and I was like, ugh, Like he's just gross. But I think this case got a little bit of traction. I could have seen a couple I could have seen some of the writers of this show maybe catch Honestly, when you google it, there's so few articles about it. But I could see some like New York City writers catching the wind of this story and having it be like part of what happened with like like folding it into like the Toash stuff too. You know, because I don't think anybody's ever accused Daniel Tasha of being a rapist, so they kind of combined stories.
Speaker 1: No, I actually but I did used to kickbox and the teacher used to date Toash. Oh really yeah it was thrilling and she was very hot and I you know, hard classes at the Export Fitness in Old Town. I mean very long time ago. Wait, this guy is a creep. Oh my god, I know.
Speaker 2: Like his fucking inst like his Facebook, his tweet about like he was like, oh, so we're gonna bring Britney Grinder home, who doesn't even love her country in exchange for this murder.
Speaker 1: Like you know, the.
Speaker 2: People that were like like criticizing Brittany Grinder's release, like, fucking this man seems horrible.
Speaker 1: But I just can't believe he was charged for anything. I know. I know, but he admitted to stuff.
Speaker 2: I know, he admitted to, like the aggressiveness, but maybe it didn't, like, you know, measure up to like the charges.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. Damn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he is acquitted and he's on the road and maybe he only performs like abroad where people don't know or whatever, like because I couldn't really see his schedule beyond that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's uh, not so good. But we've got a great matress is okay too? Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: We got a great guest for you guys though, So don't go anywhere you're gonna be impressed, you guys. I am so pumped about today's guests. To me, he belongs in the Comedic Actor Hall of Fame. You know him best from films like Little Big League, Brighton Beach Memoirs, and The iconic Weekend at Bernie's. Also the lead on the NBC comedy that I watched, The Single Guy, But you know him today as rape joke comedian and literal rapist Josh Galloway. Please enjoy our conversation with the very talented Jonathan Silverman. First of all, you know you are an icon of my youth, like all the movies like I used to watch The Single Guy, I mean, Weekend at Bernie's, all the stuff you were in, like you were like a star to me and when I was growing up, and still I was gagged when we got you. But I also wanted to let you know that in New York there's this show. We're both stand up comedians, me and Lisa and there's this show in New York that they do around Halloween that's called Shtick or Treat, and it's where comedians dress up as other comedians and they do like two minutes of material like as them, and people come and watch it and it's funny. So I had done other people. I had done Ellen Degenerous, Whitney Cummings, and then the year that this episode came out, I dressed as fictional rape comic Josh Galloway and I love you for this show.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. And if you have any photos or videos of this moment.
Speaker 1: I don't think I do. I don't think I have.
Speaker 4: Any Videosfortunate and really twisty.
Speaker 1: I know. I was like, I was like, this was well I wasn't there, but Kara said, she goes. Those who got it got it, and a lot of people were a lot of people were like wait what, and then a lot of but then I think the people that didn't get it were like, oh, I get it. She's doing like a commentary on like the comics that do rape jokes, and I was like, well, I'm the commentary on SBU's commentary of comics that you rape jokes. So anyway, that's my little story.
Speaker 2: So like you are, but you're this like long time comedic actor. Have you ever done stand up before you did this episode of the show.
Speaker 4: No, No, I admire the art form of stand up comedy so much. Some of my best friend is actually my very best friend, was a beloved stand up.
Speaker 3: But I knew what I could never. I don't want to say never.
Speaker 4: I knew would be a very difficult transition to make, so I far preferred observing and watching and enjoying than being a stand up. I've certainly, I've hosted many events. I've am seen many.
Speaker 3: Events, which I.
Speaker 4: Hate doing with such a passion. But I come from such a nice Jewish family, and my dad and grandfather were rabbis, And when people ask me to do stuff, I say yes, especially for charity. But no, I've never done stand up and when I when.
Speaker 3: I got this offer.
Speaker 4: First of all, Warren Light is an old is an old friend and more and what's the I don't have to tell you, guys, but he ran the show for forever, and Mariska is a friend of mine for thirty plus. Yes, speaking of the single guy she was, she did about three episodes of The Single Guy she was a character also a policewoman. She was a character called Mounted Cup and I believe Marishka was shooting on the same lot we were doing the Single Guy, And whenever this character would appear, it was mostly whenever we would do like, you know, the outside stuff, which would all take place on the lot anyway, the same place where they did all of you know, Seinfeld's exteriors on New York Street in Central Park. We would always say, hey, Risk, are you available? Can you can you come Thursday at like, you know, five pm and you know, do this one quick scene with us. So anyway, sorry. So when Warren took over the show, he kindly asked me to do a handful of episodes. One I was in Vancouver shooting, one I was shooting nearby, and I just couldn't make the dates work. So I think this was the third or fourth time that he asked me to do it. So I said, without even reading it when old I said, yes, of course, I'm available.
Speaker 3: March twentieth or a wee, I'm there, Warren, I'm there. I didn't even care what it is. I'm there.
Speaker 4: He says, Oh, but you're gonna like it even if I don't like it, Warren, I'm going to do it. And then I read it and went, oh, fuck, this this is I don't know if I could pull this off. Rapist who seemed to suck to me and then the Lord knows what and saying all these things and uh it neils to say it was a stand up comedy bit. And and like I just mentioned, I have no I have no you know, reference of ever doing this. So I asked my dear friend who was a stand up for some points and and and tips and and uh he helped me tremendously. But man, it was a it was a hard well just just doing the stand up, just the first I guess that first monologue where the show opens was terribly difficult.
Speaker 3: Let alone, you know, Oh.
Speaker 4: Here comes the nudity and the raping and the bang that that that that was equally difficult.
Speaker 3: But wow, it was a good episode of television.
Speaker 1: It was really good. And the the bit that was really great is when you're like, rape's not funny, but gang rape is? That is a great That was a great.
Speaker 4: Bit because because three if you if you do it in three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from comedy. It was good. It was really funny when the cops did sit right in the front row. Marishka was a bad audience member. But and that that was filmed at the comic strip on the Upper East Side, right that I used to form there all the time. You did, I recommend recognized it immediately.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's it's it's funny or sad. At the same time.
Speaker 4: I probably get stopped or you know, recognized every other week by someone for this one episode of.
Speaker 3: The show that has run twenty some odd seasons.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's h it's it's It's interesting how many people have watched that that particular episode and recognized me from it, And you know, their first.
Speaker 3: Reaction is like, oh, you were so great. It was usually oh my god, you're just so disgusting your file.
Speaker 1: Nice job. Wait, there is another funny part I wrote down that I really liked you call iced t jay Z, which is very funny too.
Speaker 4: Really, thank you the the the producers were kind enough to let have some fun with the with the script as much as possible, And I'm usually incredibly loyal to the writer's words.
Speaker 3: Especially when it's a friend.
Speaker 4: But I think because the role was that of a of a comic, they kind of encouraged me to go off book as much as possible and make make it seem, you know, as as fresh, especially this particular character who's just you know, awful and disgusting. And I do remember asking the director and producer before I said that, I said, may I may I call him a couple And we tried a bunch of different things.
Speaker 3: Jay Z was the one that stuck.
Speaker 4: But my god, I mean, I think fifty cent and Vanilla Ice, every everything but Iced.
Speaker 3: He's actual actually. But the strange.
Speaker 4: Thing is everything was happening so fast, and it was it was shot you know, on a steady cam, and there was you know, a lobby full of extras, and people were screaming and yelling, and I was handcuffed.
Speaker 3: And you know, being being processed.
Speaker 4: And uh, I don't think he ever knew that I wasn't calling him by his actual character name, or that I was saying something because he was waiting for his cue, and his cue had nothing to do with jay Z or Ice, you know, or ice Cube or any of the other ones I might have come up with.
Speaker 1: So ice Cube a funny one our listeners mix up Ice Team with ice cubes.
Speaker 4: I would have liked that, so I was waiting for I was waiting for him to punch me or say something, but you never caught on.
Speaker 1: So well, I guess we can slowly go into So, yeah, the whole episode serious, but you know it is fun. All your lines are so funny. And then the last scene, the attempted rape, is really uncomfortable to watch. It is really graphic. How was filming it? How was doing it? And then if you did watch it, how was it is? Really it's an intense scene. You guys did a great job filming it.
Speaker 4: Thanks it's certainly it certainly wasn't fun. Actually, man, that was a rough one. I do remember, uh shooting it and feeling so awful, almost ill, almost nauseous, and getting back to my hotel room, which I want to say was in the same hotel where we shot. So, I mean, all I had to do was push you know, Flora thirty three, and I was I was home. But that was just like the longest ride of my life. And my wife had just come from we live in La to visit and you know, she probably had a great.
Speaker 3: Day and probably you know, saw Matinee and.
Speaker 4: Skyler Day, the actress who was in the episode, who you know was my scene partner was so lovely and every.
Speaker 3: Time, and everything was obviously choreographed.
Speaker 4: And this was before they had those you know, those coordinators, the intimacy coordinators. I mean, it was just us trying to figure out the beats on our own with the director, but everything was done with you know, her approval, and you know, she was even telling me, Okay, you can go a step farther, you can go.
Speaker 3: A bit harder. It was. It was awful. It was just awful because I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I know, when I do, uh a fight scene, even if I'm the one getting the shit kicked out of me and having to take a punch, I'm always so concerned about my seeing partner and make sure, you know, I hope your hand didn't hurt so much when you slug me in the face. But this was something I just wasn't comfortable with, wasn't prepared for. And the after effect was was kind of awful too. And yeah, watching it was was pretty disgusting too. I do remember kind of wanting that scene to just, you know, end even quicker than the editors had played it.
Speaker 3: But good stuff. It was good for the It was good. It was good for the real I think that show.
Speaker 4: I think that show has helped book me a couple of gigs over the years, because like, oh yeah, Solomon, he's he's funny, but you know, can he can he go dark? Does he have a dark side? It's like, yes, do you want to see something?
Speaker 3: And there you go.
Speaker 1: Well, how was working with Elizabeth Marvel who played your lawyer? We love her?
Speaker 4: Oh god, she is dying on my she is so so lovely. And I remember one but the particular time of year we were shooting this h this episode, it was a giant blizzard. There's a name for it, like you guys just had one in New York, the Super Blizzard, the the oh yeah, it was twenty four tech artic tornado, the vortex.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Yes, she was twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: It was the end of January, I guess, and it was the winter vortex and New York shot down. I mean there were there were oftentimes scenes that were supposed to take place outside that they just had to scrap filming, and then you know, we shot some interiors.
Speaker 3: But I do remember.
Speaker 4: Schools were closed and Elizabeth didn't know what to do with her seven year old son.
Speaker 3: So she brought she brought them to.
Speaker 4: Set, and there was this sweet kid, you know, all day long just hanging out with mom and you know, having to watch scenes with her with.
Speaker 3: This jerky guy. And but he's terrific. He's just terrific. He's lovely. Lady.
Speaker 2: That characters represented a lot of jerks on the show. But I don't think she's ever told any of them to shut up, like.
Speaker 1: She stop talking. So your wife is also an actress, Jennifer Finnigan, and we have a classic question we like to ask when spouses are both actors. Okay, so for auditions and stuff like, do you guys help each other tape stuff? Are you reading lines together? Do you guys fight while you read lines? What's what's the process.
Speaker 4: The answer to all of those questions, Yes, pre pandemic, Yeah, for sure, we would always help run lines with one another. We'd always give each other notes. You know, we're both longtime actors. We're also directors. We even directed together on a film, so we certainly appreciate each other's you know, guidance and wisdom and you know, try this, here's a little chance to you know, here's something you missed. But since the pandemic and since everything now tapes from home. Yeah, we're each other's you know, director, cameraman, lighting coordinator. So yeah, there's there's oftentimes where we're equippaling, and you know, unlike previous years when you would have a set appointment at noon in Santa Monica and go to the casting office or the production office, you know, you're doing it from home.
Speaker 3: And we have a five year old, So.
Speaker 4: Oftentimes when we do these, it's you know, at nine, ten, eleven o'clock at night, once we finally get the kid to sleep and there's a little bit of quiet in the house and you know, we're both.
Speaker 3: Exhausted or we've had a glass of wine at this point. So yeah, we're certainly fighting with each other.
Speaker 4: It's like, come on, you really need this tonight, of all nights, you get to do it now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This this this came out because I was like helping my friend who's married tape and I was like, oh, yeah, why don't you do another one? And she goes, wait really And I was like, yeah, like why don't you just try it? And she goes, oh, usually he doesn't let me do more. I was like, oh, wait, what's going on? And so that like started the fascination of like, what's going on with all these couples taping? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It usually, it usually is very helpful, except obviously when one of us is off out of town working on a gig, and then you're absolutely desperate. I remember once Jen was in Toronto and I had this kind of big audition. I had to to get in and I could reach out to some actor friends and get it done.
Speaker 3: So the sixty some on year old nanny who was taken her broat.
Speaker 4: That particular day, can you stay an extra thirty minutes. I'll still pay your rate, but you just you just like press this record button and read some of these lines.
Speaker 3: And she was great, she was terrific.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: I don't think I booked the part though, but she had. She had a really good time, and she kept asking me days days later, did we get it? Did we put it?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. They want you. They don't want me, but they want you. Who's that woman?
Speaker 1: I imagine you launched her career. If your kid interested in what you guys do or not at all?
Speaker 3: Sadly, she's very interested. I mean, we've drabbed this court kid.
Speaker 4: She's probably been I'm not joking on sixty or seventy plane flights by now and when we were. My wife stars on this new show which is finally going to hit US television. So May May eighteenth, the CW will announce that they have bought this shine right. Yes, it's it's made specifically for Canada, the CBC and E one and Netflix Canada, which I mean me by no means comparing the show to the show I'm about to name drop. But it's done by the same people that did Shit's Creak, and that until season three or four, did not air in the States either. So you know, we're rolling the dice and hoping for you know, just like five percent of the success that happens that that show had. But yes, it's finally going to start airing. And when we shot season one, it was pretty much just as the pandemic was starting. It was just a few months into it. I think it was the first show on the continent to begin filming. So we were kind of, you know, being looked at as like, well, if they could pull it off, maybe we could get back to show business and do it too. We were all sequestered and quarantine for weeks at the time, we'd all have to.
Speaker 3: Stay in our little, you know pocket.
Speaker 4: One of the cool things is Aaron Dark is a regular on the show, and her life partner is Daniel Radcliffe. So so Daniel was hanging out with us for three summers and having just the greatest time. But they were very much in need of actors, which is probably why I'm on the show playing Jen's husband. But it got to the point where there was a flashback episode. It's the second to last show of season one, and my wife Jen's character is maybe three years old, and there was like five or six scenes where a three year old Jen Finn again is supposed to be, you know, running around and saying a couple of lines and you know, just being a kid. And I guess, Canada being Canada, they hired these twins, and oftentimes when you.
Speaker 3: Have a role that young, you'll you'll split it by having, you know, a twins play the part.
Speaker 4: They showed up to set and they were not blonde hair and blue eyed like my wife looks.
Speaker 3: They were very very tart skinned, dark haired, and they're like, what do we do? What do we do?
Speaker 4: And and so they begged us if they could borrow our kid for those three four days were absolutely not. This poor kid's going to be screwed up enough as it is, you want to put her in front of the cameras.
Speaker 3: But we asked her and of course she said.
Speaker 4: Yes, I wanted to do what mommy and daddy do and we were terrified, but she nailed it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, she already has a pretty big credit to her.
Speaker 1: She has an IMDb page.
Speaker 3: She probably has a I and a lot of fans. Y.
Speaker 1: Wait, so what's Moonshine about?
Speaker 4: Moonshine is a wonderful one hour comedy drama about this uh, this this dilapidated resorts and the family that runs it and owns it uh in the south shore of Nova Scotia. It's uh, it's it's it's it's filthy and funny and twisted, and it's it's a delight.
Speaker 3: And the the the awards.
Speaker 4: The Canadian Screen Awards, they're called, and the only way to compare them, it's like the Canadian Golden Globes because they're both for movies and television. We're just announced recently and the show got a slew of them, including including my wife Best Best Lead Performer. So yeah, we're hoping We're hoping it somehow takes off in the has A has a nice happy life.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so cool. I can't wait. Well, well, definitely all of our listeners will probably.
Speaker 3: Check get in mom shne CW. I guess this summer.
Speaker 1: That's exciting. So that's your current that's your some of your current projects. I would like to ask you a question about going back to some of your old older stuff. So you, to me, you were like, like I said, you were like this pinnacle of like eighties and nineties classic stuff, like you're in all these amazing TV shows and then the single guy was part of Mussy TV. I think Sandwich between like Seinfeld and Friends or something, I mean like Wild Yes, and then you were on Friends and you're like friends with David Swimmer if your Wikipedia is to be believed. So, like I'm just wondering, like what was that time like in like the late eighties early nineties, when like TV was like everyone was watching TV. There was still a mono culture where everyone watched the same TV shows, unlike today, Like what was like, what was it like Caroline in the City, I mean all that come on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, you're right.
Speaker 4: They oftentimes you know, would have these crossover nights which were ridiculous, but you know we did.
Speaker 1: We did. A character was on Caroline in the City, right, but it's not a spin off, Okay, right.
Speaker 4: So I think me and Matthew Perry were on Caroline in the City. Shwimmer was on our show, and I don't remember. I think I think maybe Leah Thompson was on Friends. And of course when they asked Jerry and everyone on Seinfeld to do it, They're like, no, fuck off, we got our own show. What are these shows? Friends?
Speaker 3: But in terms of your question, I mean, I guess A.
Speaker 4: I was naive, it was stupid. I just assumed. I started in theater. I mean, my so fucking lucky. My first my first paying gig was a Broadway show which I did for like two years.
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 3: And that it was a Neil Simon play called Brighton Beach Memoirs.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought, Well that, I mean, I just saw production at Northwestern University when I was a kid with my family and it was like, I mean, it's like cheesy, but it changed my life. Like I remember that show was like the best thing ever. And I'm a Russian Jew. My family like I don't know. I love that show, and I know you did the film, but yeah, that was cool. You did that on Broadway.
Speaker 3: It changed my life too different ways.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and and God blessed and the rest of sould. Neil Simon kept giving me more and more jobs, and I did a few more of his plays and a few more of his movie and then I came back to LA and I was only doing movies. And then I just thought, oh, TV, that's is that something that people do?
Speaker 3: Is that? I mean, maybe when I'm.
Speaker 4: Old and lost my hair and really fat, maybe that's when I do TV. But I did a movie for Castle Rock, and it was so much fun. It was a baseball movie. And I'm a huge, huge, still I'm a huge baseball fan. And I played a pitcher for the Minnesota Twins, and every day going to work meant putting on a uniform and going to the stadium. And they had so much money at their disposal they would bring in actual baseball players to play themselves. So these names might not mean too much, but to me, they sure do, and as so many baseball fans, they do. But here's Ken Griffy Junior playing himself, and I get to pitch to him, and he's now in the Hall of Fame, and every day there would be a new there would be a new you know, all star coming to work.
Speaker 3: And so I completed this film.
Speaker 4: We shot it in Minnesota, and my agent said, Hey, the folks at Castle Rock want to have a chat with you. And I said, Am I getting like kicked out of the movie? Are they cutting my scenes that I suck? You?
Speaker 3: But no, I think it's good news.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure exactly what it is, but let's just take the meeting and see what's happening.
Speaker 3: And so I go there and they were watching the footage and.
Speaker 4: The dailies of this this this baseball movie, and they said, you know, we really, we really want to work with you.
Speaker 3: And I said, well, great, I want to work with you guys too. What movie are we going to do? Now? Are you going to put me in a rub writer film? I didn't say that. I was probably quiet, but they said no.
Speaker 4: But we basically, in our deal negotiating Seinfeld's next season, we own the time slot and we have access to the eight thirty slot or the nine thirty slot for next season, and we want you to be in it. And I went on television and so, yeah, so they put me together with a lovely writer named Brad Hall, who ironically is Julia Louis Dreyfus's husband.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, and the single guy was born in the boom.
Speaker 4: Before I knew it, I was starring on a TV show that was number five in the country, and I really had no idea what was happening. But it was a roller coaster. And now, of course, you know, there's really no differentiator differentiating to television and movies, and all these giant Oscar winners are clamoring to do a show for Apple Plus and HBO and Times of Change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the golden age of television is upon us. Indeed, So I wanted to ask about Weekend at Bernie's, which is at this point now twenty five, twenty four years old this movie or no, thirty, no, how many years I'm like not doing the math correctly. Yeah, it's like thirty years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who were so Yeah, you're righty, they're almost thirty five years old.
Speaker 1: But it's still like that's a people it's still a reference. People are still like, oh yeah, then they just weakend Bernie's this guy around or whatever, like it's such a big movie like that, it's one of your first things that you do and then it becomes this like huge movie, Like what's do you just never want to talk about it? Or are you do you welcome people that are fans of it?
Speaker 3: Or what I mean?
Speaker 4: What am I gonna say? Yes, it was one of my first movies. I was lucky to get the job. I had no idea, none of us had an ideas it would even be funny.
Speaker 3: I mean, the.
Speaker 4: Premise is this guy is killed and we've got to prop them up and pretend he's not dead.
Speaker 3: That's not funny.
Speaker 4: But somehow, somehow it worked, and I remember the movie came out and it did okay but not great. It just did okay and it just kind of had it had some legs that lasted through the summer.
Speaker 3: But then it was this life on cable and on airplane.
Speaker 2: Where I saw it, like it was an HBO classic for me, like I can quote lines from it, and it came out when I was nine, so like I remember like just seeing it on HBO all all the time.
Speaker 3: Again, thrilled to it had a life. Thrilled people are still watching it and remembering it, So I was.
Speaker 1: I was an immigrant. I was like a Russian jew came in the night, so I it like missed me. And so I actually just watched it for the first time during the pandemic and I had a great time. So it was like new to me only a few years ago. And yeah, it's like an enjoyable great time. And now all of a sudden, all these references of like okay, I'm come alive in my brain, like there's a sim sense episode, Like there's all these things that now make more sense to me too.
Speaker 4: And they're all these strange little, you know, memes and graphics. Anytime mostly a world world leader is ill to be, it's like there you go and me and are holding this man or woman up?
Speaker 2: Do you still Are you still in touch with Andrew McCarthy, another SVU alum as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely? You know Andrew is a big time television director these days. Oh wow, he he.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he's directed any SVUS, but he directs every other show that shoots in New York. He directs Blacklist, and he directs a lot of Our Good direct a lot of Orange is the New Black We were both on as actors, and and he also directed a few episodes though, But we were both on last season, the final season of Good Girls, which was a gig that I just loved, and we were in a couple of episodes, but they purposely made sure we didn't have any scenes together because that would have been too weird. But yeah, I adore him, and I mean he he really he really made that film successful because he was certainly not known for doing slapstick comedy and he just wanted to jump in with both feet and he did it. Was he was great and constantly coming up with amazing ideas and I so looked up to him because I had like maybe three jobs to my credit, and here was this big movie star from you know, all these great, you know, classic classic films, and yeah, I learned a lot from them.
Speaker 3: I really did.
Speaker 1: This is awesome. Thank you so much, Thank you so much for taking the time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, this was so fun. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jonathan, that was fun.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to watch that show that he's coming out with with his wife. If he says it's like Shit's Creak vibes, I really liked Shitz Creak, So I'm going to keep an eye out for that.
Speaker 1: Kelly and his house was nice. It looks like he's living a good, happy life with his cool wife and working and crushing it. Crushing this episode. And he's just so good in it. I mean, he's so funny. I love his rifts. It look like you could tell he put work in the stand up portions of it. And the attack was like very hard to watch, like really funny and scary and a pompous jerk all in one episode. It was amazing. Yeah, and it didn't grow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did a really great job of being like I can understand why this guy has a following, but also I want to kill him.
Speaker 1: Like half the time I wanted to punch him so bad.
Speaker 2: But I think that's like definitely, especially when we look at like the one example of the real life crime, the guy who won Star Search or whatever. Oh clean guy, perfect guy, and then behind this like on the other side of him, he's this horrible criminal. So yeah, showing the two sides said this in an episode.
Speaker 1: There are people who are just goodie two shoes. There are comics who that is their natural way to be is a little more prude or like just sweet, like that is who they are in nature. That is great be a clean comedian. It's the ones that are hiding their truth for the clean comedy that that are the ones to look out for. Though they're seething, they're not being who they are. They're putting on an act for what for what? Why are you hiding? Why are you hiding behind your nose? Swears It's like because you're a rapist, and it's been proven time and time again. There is like a seething rage with clean comedians who are not clean in their regular life. Yes, it's like and they might not high ground thing, they might not all be rapists, but they don't like women or they have like, you know, fucked up views and anger and rage for sure. Yeah, I don't know. To me, stand up is so that's what I mean. If it's like your authentic self, that makes sense. Like the whole point of stand up to me is like being yourself. And so if you're putting on and uh, you know. And that's why I don't relate to certain weird things or clowns or whatever, it's not you, but you like silly stuff because I love Rury Scoville, but it is grounded in reality and he is being himself. I just like people that are authentic. Yeah, I could tell when it's not real. And we know lots of.
Speaker 2: People that are that are wildly famous comics who are talking about material that is not true to their life. They are using a voice that's not really how they talk in real life. Like, you know, we know plenty of people who do that. So like that's what I think. People like your stand up so much. It really is you, Like that is you on stage? You know, Like and I would say I'm pretty much the same as I am in real life as I am on stage two, but like you're not like, oh.
Speaker 1: I can't say that. It's like, if you want to say it, the point is to say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like did we talk We probably talked about him in the episode, but like Ryan Hamilton a wonderful, clean comic, and when I see him, I'm like, you are just like a lovely person from Utah who doesn't want to swear and doesn't want to talk about like you know, sex and drugs and whatever, like and great.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think he's.
Speaker 2: I mean famous last words, We're gonna find out Ryan Hamilton convenience.
Speaker 1: He's number one, because you know, I like to make lists with friends, and the hardest list that we would try to make is the one that was tap ten comedians. You would be shocked if they were rapists. Yeah, And after Ryan Hamilton, we were stumped. You know what I mean? We were stumped because some I would be like, oh gosh, geez, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm never you know, Josh Bondleman maybe was number two. Yeah, yeah, but that's it, like I, you know, everyone else. It might be like a like a shocking for a moment, and then it'd be like, oh, okay, yeah, I hope Jared makes the list, can you see it? He didn't. We were not thinking about when we made. This was New York years ago. Of course I'm kidding, but uh, the I mean post mortem for this, you're gonna tell him like Lisa made, Lisa said, you don't make the list. You had to work on your fucking attitude. Speaking of I guess Rolling I didn't even know everyone was talking about it last night. I was out and I was like, what are you guys even talking about? But there's a new Delilla expose and Rolling Stone, a new new FBI, new victims, new drugging like fucked up shit?
Speaker 2: What it didn't even show up anywhere one day ago Rolling Stone. Wow, okay, I'm gonna read this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll talk about it next week. I guess, Yeah, I got it? Did it? Did coincide? Amazing for us taping this? The comedian rape fists? And what is that? Or isn't there one coming out almost every day? Now? Well, this is what's funny. So now I was in the green room and all these everyone was like, oh god, did you read this one? I go. I turned against him at the first one. I never even liked him because I could tell I had weird interactions with him in terms of he's a predator. Look, yeah, he truly is. And it's so funny that they needed this additional Rolling Stone FBI article. There's this is the third the La Times did one. I mean, this is like, it's.
Speaker 2: Like for all these dudes, it's like, is LA is rolling Stone cool enough for you? Is that a cool enough publication to take down your guy? Like you know, La Times is liberal bullshit? Like is Rolling Stone good enough? Like, I mean, how many exposs do you fucking need? But I mean the post mortem for this episode's a little bit baked into the entire thing because we've been talking about our personal experiences and our thoughts the entire times. I don't know if we really need to rehash it, but essentially, yeah, watch out for those, watch out for the clean ones, watch out for the nice guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But also so it's like a good test if you're going on dates, like, ask someone who their favorite comedians are and then judge them. Oh interesting, Yeah, because if you went on a date and someone took you to this rape comic, yeah, Josh Galloway's show, you'd be like, oh, never mind, I'm out of here. Well, because people tell me a few people have told me that they show dates my Netflix half hour and if the men get upset, they don't get fucked. Oh if they don't like said, yeah, I love that, I love that.
Speaker 2: That's so great, everybody. This is how you test your men. You show them the degenerates Lisa Trager's episode.
Speaker 1: They don't get anything if they think that, well, yeah, because my last like ten minutes is just this whole joke about you know, coming and men have lost their minds. Honestly, they have attacked after show professionals. One of the biggest I think one of the biggest producers in like television comedy truly accosted me at just for last us We'll being like, I make my wife she wants to use you know, I'm like, why are you telling me about your wife and how you guys fuck? It's not even the point of my joke. And then when I started talking back at him, he was like, don't you dare talk about my wife. We've been together fourteen years And I was just like, you came up to me, bro, trying to fight about my joke? Are you fighting with everyone else's joke? Why did you take it so personal? I'm sorry, Like, I don't know why you need it to tell me that your wife loves using a vibrator, Like it's truly insane. I'm trying to meet Kaitlin o Olsen right now. That's what I'm trying to do, all right. There's heroes abound. I'm trying to drink free liquor and meet them. Like, why are you fighting me? I don't need your insecurities right now? Oh my god, men are wild. Yeah, I'll write his name down to But.
Speaker 2: This was obviously a fun episode for us to do, so we could talk about all our frustrations with shitty comics and also but also love comedy.
Speaker 1: But let's let's get to our what would Sister Peg do.
Speaker 2: That's our weekly segment where we direct you guys towards an organization or a you know, a resource on the internet or a book or a podcast or something that will flesh out a little bit more about what we talked about in today's episode. And you know, we touched on the comedy community today and we said, you know, not everybody's good, but we do want to point out an organization that is very good called Comedy Gives Back. This is an organization that provides financial crisis relief, mental health and chemical dependency treatment, sponsorship, and continued community support to the comedy community. So if you want to donate or find out more, go to Comedy gives Back dot com. And yeah, that's just like an organization that supports the comedy community that we believe in.
Speaker 1: So give it a look. See yeah, personally saved my ass during the pandemic. So love them, love everything they do. This is kind of like Joe's stone Crab, you know that, like you could buy a little crab glitter like Sparklepin and it goes to a fund, so if any server ever needs anything, there's a fund. Oh that's nice. Yeah, I mean, you know it would be better for our country, hot healthy, Yeah, but yeah, comedy gives back is important, and we don't want to lose great people. We could lose a couple shitty ones. Okay, next week we're gonna do the episode diss season twenty, episode twenty two, and Karen and I will come with our own personal diss tracks at each other. So stay tuned. Bye, guys, That's Messed Up as an exactly right production. If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's messed uppod at gmail dot com. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information. Thank you so much to our producer Kacy O'Brien, and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cotner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media. Dun dun,