Speaker 1: The guys from paying They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters.
Speaker 2: I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Pink Proven Grounds Podcast. I'm Shane Bacon. That is Marty Jertsen and Marty. I'm happy to announce that our first repeat guest on the podcast is not Victor Hovlin, It's not Tony Fenow.
Speaker 4: It's a man more famous and more popular.
Speaker 1: Kenton Oates is our first repeat guest on the Proving Grounds Podcast.
Speaker 4: What a moment?
Speaker 3: Kay, Oh, this is gonna be fun and we're gonna be talking about stuff today to help you get out of trouble out there in some trends we're seeing on the PGA Tour that are taking the tour by storm and Ko has been a huge part of that and that's why we got him on today.
Speaker 4: Kenton, what is life like right now?
Speaker 1: Not being on the road, because I know you spend so much your year on the road. What's your what's it been like? How long have you been home? What's kind of the run you get at home before you kind of go back to the truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 5: I've actually been on the road a little more than some people might think. The truck just made a stop off in Oklahoma and we helped out some Oklahoma and Oklahoma state players, and then we moved it on over to Fayetteville where we helped out the University of Arkansas. So I have had some weeks off, but I obviously did Vegas and then that, so we stay pretty busy even while the you know, the guys are you know, playing in Japan or wherever they might be playing.
Speaker 1: No truck in Japan. He didn't drive it over You're not going to make that trip.
Speaker 2: We didn't cargo that thing over there yet. So no, no truck in Japan.
Speaker 1: That would be next level. Kitten's on the boat across the pond, just sitting in the truck, going we got two more days of this.
Speaker 4: We can do it. Kenton.
Speaker 1: Today, we're going to talk about a couple of things that I find extremely fascinating. One of them, and we'll get to this in a bit, is the boom and the popularity of the seven would But I want to start with a term that I feel like a lot of people might not know what it means, but they probably heard it, especially if they follow this podcast and follow what Ping has done over the last three and four years.
Speaker 4: And Marty, that term is spinsistency.
Speaker 1: Now, there's a video on YouTube from g four to twenty five days where some of the tour players were talking about spinsistency that were trying to spell the term. They were trying to explain what it is. Marty, You're the man that we got to turn to because I think you're a kind of person that can, I guess summarize what the term is and what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we're designing new product chain, it always it all starts with the problem we're trying to solve for the golfer. And one of the most painful things I know it's been painful for me. I'm sure it's been painful for you. I'm sure it's been painful for Canton and all of our players, is when you're out on the golf course and you thin your three wood five wood driver and the thing balloons up in the air. You know, we've seen some graphics on the internet that show if you hit the driver high on the face, the spin's going to go down. You hit it low on the face, the spin's going to go up. That's a very painful thing, and one way we've always done to counter that in the design world is to make the moment of inertia higher so it counters it reduces the gear effect, which is when you hit low on the face, spike in the spin, you're gonna lose a ton of distance. If you're hitting into the wind, the ball is gonna kind of lose its stability. So there's more than one way to solve that problem. We can boost the MLI and we've done that a lot over the years to solve that problem. But spinsistency is a calculated changing of the curvature of the face to counter low spin high on the face. You get that you've hit that ball that's too high on the face and it falls out of the air, so your spin gets too low or the impacts low on the face where the spin gets spiked or increased. Now we can normalize that with spinsistency, so we make the bottom of the face have a little tighter curvature, and we balance that with the other properties of the head and then we make the top of the face have a little bit more loft so that when you hit up there, you retain the spin. So it's it's effectively. One way to think about it, what we've done on the G four to thirty driver, it's like making the moment of inertia of the driver ten percent higher without making the moment of inertia ten percent higher. Another way to look at it is a player hitting the G four to twenty five driver, which is already super stable from a spin standpoint, could increase their impact stat area by fifty six percent and get the same dispersion and strokes gain driving So now you don't have to hit the center of the face as often to play a great golf and Ko I think one thing we could talk about, which was just over a year ago we launched the four to thirty driver. I came out for it because I was so excited about launching it in Vegas and having our players hit it for that first time. And the words they use, Shane are like, oh, the flight is so stable, it's so tight, it's holds its line better and the crosswinds what they're experiencing is like miss it a little bit around the face. All the hits perform more like a center hit KO.
Speaker 1: When you have players come into the truck, went how much is spin brought up when they're looking to make a change or they're trying to dial a driver of fairway? Would even some irons in where is spin in terms of that conversation, in terms of like the popular topics that they come in to the truck with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean spin is it's up there.
Speaker 5: It's got to be you know, one, two or three, because the spin is really a direct derivative of what their fight's gonna look like down range.
Speaker 2: So that's what the player is seeing.
Speaker 5: They hit the ball and like the launch angle occurs, whatever, but like what they're seeing is that that spin rate down range, and if it's a seven wood or a higher loftic club, then that's that's gonna be a direct influence about how the ball lands and stops.
Speaker 2: And that's a massive deal to those guys.
Speaker 5: So, like Marty was saying, for drivers for that four point thirty, uh, it still happens.
Speaker 2: Like last week in Vegas, we had a non staff guy.
Speaker 5: Just wanted to try to reduce his spin a little bit on our drivers and then once we got that reduced like it lived at twenty four to twenty six, like no matter where he hit it on the face. Now he's one of the best players in the world playing on the PGA Tour. But the value of that just creates so much more consistency in your game when you thin it at twenty six and you high face it at twenty four and both those balls end up within five feet of each other in the fairway. So we see that and then with fairwy woods, like Marty was saying, that low hit off the ground, I think is why the four to thirty fairywood, it's been number one on tour for it. It's been a minute now, it maybe's six months.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: We can go back and look at that, but it's been the number one played fairyweod on tour for a while. And I think it's that it's so easy to thin a three wood off the ground, even for the best players in the world. If you can make that shot go ten to fifteen yards farther, which is what we're seeing because it spin's not going to forty four hundred, it's saying around thirty eight to thirty nine. It's just a massive deal in the strokes that you can gain throughout a four round tournament at that level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marty, I mean I always joke that you're not a great player unless you've hit a thin three wood off the t and a golf turn before. I mean, it's something everybody, it feels like, in the world's done it. I mean, I know I could name top ten players currently in the OWGR that I've seen thin three woods Like this isn't something that just high handicapped players deal with. How did you discover the technology that became spinsistency.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of came down to Shane is like you know, in the design world, you're trying to figure out what levers you can pull on to improve performance, right, and you know, to make the moment of a inertia of a three wood, you're kind of fighting, Oh, I can make it more forgiving, but then you have to make the head bigger. As you make the head bigger, then the CG gets too high. Right, So oh, on paper, it could be a very stable club, but you lose performance off the ground because we're trying to balance. Okay, I need a really low CG on my fairway. Would but I still want to make it have that forgiveness or stability when you don't hit it perfect. So we have all these things that are kind of fighting each other in the design world, and I think that the innovation with spinsistency is just looking at Okay, yes, we can actually sacrifice giving our self permission that we can sacrifice a little bit of the launch angle. Because when we change the face curvature or the roll profile, which is the top to bottom curvature, if we make that tighter at the bottom, you'd launch it lower. So that always kind of sounded bad, like the initial launch angle is going to be a little bit lower. But it turns out there's a sweet spot. And this is where our modeling capabilities in the design innovation world have really helped. It's to say, Okay, we can move the CG a little bit lower, the moment of inertia can be a little bit lower. We're going to launch a little bit lower for those low impacts on the face, But the reduction in spin is going to be an overwhelming benefit right over those other factors. So it's this kind of tug of war that we're always having in the design world, and given our selves permission that a lower initial launch is OK, because we're gonna make up for it with more ball speed. When you have more ball speed low on the face, that's a big driver of that peak height. So the golfer you can't really see the initial launch angle. You can measure it on a radar obviously, but what the golfer really senses when they talk about launch is really kind of that peak height and how much it's spinning. And that was I think the big thing we gave ourselves permission to do. And it turns out that, you know, a higher ball speed low on the face and controlling spin is an overwhelming benefit.
Speaker 4: Ko.
Speaker 1: You know, we've seen the tour player turn to the cut with the driver, right. I mean, it seems like almost everybody it plays professional golf now is leaning on that cut because the ball can travel a lot further and the spins down on the cut than what we've seen in previous iterations. What's been the popular ballflight with the three wood because it's always felt like to me that the guys would cut the drivers but they could still turn those three woods over. Is that still the case? Do you still feel like if you've got to hit that draw, you're leaning on the three wood.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I always have said this, and this is something I think. Another feature of the four thirty that our team on tour and Marty's team with engineering did a great job of marrying was as we were adding this consistency to our fairy woods, they still felt like we would still do in four twenty five, we put a like three or four grams in the heel of a lot of three woods, because, like you were mentioning, no matter who you are, if you're like Harris English is a cut only guy. If he has one club in his bag he wants to draw, it's that three wood. So we kept on talking about that and the four thirty that has been a home run in terms of its ease to turn over because it gets up in the air so easy that the comfortability of turning it over is a lot more just because it's higher. And then it just naturally has a little quicker toe. So now, if anything, we've been able to put just a little bit of toe weight or no glue anywhere left or right wise and guys can still turn it over eas You get a club that's super forgiving great on thin misses and can turn over off the tee. I think that's why I've mentioned before it's been you know, number one on tour for so long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marty, I mean the G four thirty three wood and driver have been incredibly popular, not just with Ping staffers. I mean you've seen so many players outside of the Ping family come to this golf club spinsistency was introduced with G four twenty five. When you saw spinsistency in those clubs, how did you tweak it, change it and prove it when you guys got to G four thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it got a lot more complex when we put it in the driver because you know, there's just so much more at stake there, the balls being hit further. Uh, there's a lot more optimization. Really fun to do that project. It's leaning on our three D motion capture system FOCAL. It's looking at how different players deliver the face to path. It's running a lot of models of Okay, what if we change the face curvature by this much, this much, and we actually have different face curvature on our different models. Because let's say, for the faster speed players at very high ball speeds, if they hit it off the tow, they're going to curve the ball more because their ball speed is higher, like the impact that that gear effect and then in the impact on the spin ax is going to be different than players that swing it slower. So we actually have different face curvatures, different levels of sponsistency on the different models, and we continue to refine that. So we gained a lot of confidence with the four to twenty five. We refine it even further with the four point thirty, both on bring it into the driver, which was a game changer. I think it's one of the kind of hidden secrets of the G four to thirty drivers, that sponsistency, which means you don't have to hit the center of the face more often. We're fitting players into longer lank drivers. You know. We talked about that a little bit with Victor when we talked to him. And then the fairway wood has been unbelievable, and I think it's not only the three wood has been an amazing club on the PGA tour, but then just bringing that into what does that mean on the five wood, seven wood, nine wood scenario, we're that same problem exition. You don't always hit it perfect right and you want that tight, stable flight and that's been a downside to fairwy woods that players in the past, including better players, like eh fairwywoods hybrids, there's too much distance variability, and sponsistency solves that. So now you can hit that number. Now you want the seven wood for the higher flight, but now you can hit that number with more predictability, more reliability, and that I think that's been also one of the secret ingredients on the high lofted fairywoods which have grown in popularity out there Kent.
Speaker 1: When you introduced these clubs, Marty was talking about going to Vegas and showcasing the new clubs to the tour players.
Speaker 4: I've been to the.
Speaker 1: Proving grounds, I've been fit multiple times at paying One of my favorite parts is the explanation of these golf clubs before you take them out and hit them. Do you, guys, ever not tell tour players what's going on, just to see the reaction to something like sponsistency Where in the air there's smart enough golfers and they're good enough to almost understand what they're hitting when they're hitting it, and they're seeing those types of results.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of the times when we introduce new products, we're going to build it to either exactly to their spec or get with the engineering team and just like don't let us know, hey, guys, you might need a half degree west loft or have to agree more loft. And then we really like to get that raw initial reaction and learn from them. They're the best players in the world, right so I want to give Victor Hobin and Tony Feenaw that driver, have them hit it three or four times, and then have them come back to me, what do you like, what you don't like? What are you seeing it's different? And then that's how I think, you know, we get better, is that we take you know, we're not trying to change what we do in our drivers.
Speaker 2: I've worked here ten years. I feel like we've had the same.
Speaker 5: Goal in our drivers, and we've just finally we just keep making it a little bit better every every cycle.
Speaker 2: And I think part of that is the feedback we get from those guys.
Speaker 1: KO with the with the seven would because Martin'd hinted at it, and I want to talk a little bit about the lofted woods with you specifically, because obviously you're out there with the tour players. How many seven Woods did you guys carry on the truck six years ago, like were there were Was there a seven wood on the truck?
Speaker 5: Yes, So I have to give credit Christian Pane, who runs the tour department now.
Speaker 2: He's kind of like the godfather of the seven wood.
Speaker 5: He played one in Japan when he played, and he had great success with it, and I remember, I believe it was the US Open at Marion. He built one for every single player and a bunch of guys were like, oh, out of the rough, I can hit this. This is so much easier to hit into greens on par five, and you can fact check me. I believe Hunter Mayhon took out his six nine that week and played all of his woods three, five, and seven because he's like, I don't need a six irod. This course is short, I never hit it, and this seven wood is so valuable. So we've been doing fairy woods for my entire that seven wood for my entire time on tour, which is coming up on eight years, I think, And that's because Christian, you know, he really loved it when he played and he saw the value and it's credit to him to get us to have so many in play.
Speaker 2: But we have, so we have a ton in play Now from even that standpoint, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, is it rarer to find a tour player now that's not playing a third would?
Speaker 4: I mean, I just.
Speaker 1: Feel like it was always standard to have two head covers in your bag, and then you'd occasionally run into guys that would have three and four. Now it feels like it's rare to see a bag that just has two head covers.
Speaker 5: I mean, on our staff, I can, I'll speak to our staff. I'll call it thirty guys. I would say almost all thirty have a seven would and on a week to week The cool thing that's happened over the last two years, and I think it's because of how much better the product has would come. Speaking to Marty's point on that four thirty and this consistency and the ability to hit the shot because we've made the seven would so much better and it still has all the benefits that did in the past. I would say, week to week play, we have twenty in play. Almost everybody plays it on a week to week basis.
Speaker 1: Marty, how's your bag changed? I mean, like personally for you, I mean, what is your what was your bag like a decade to go versus now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think a decade to co, I was, you know, always playing a hybrid. So it's like driver three wood hybrid, then four iron. Now I love having multiple options between my three wood and my four iron, and even my foreign is kind of like we'll call it technology and fusion because I'm playing the you know I five twenty five that has a little more ball speed. I play it with retrospecs so I can launch it high. But then I will mix up playing hybrid five wood, seven wood or our crossover it depending on the course. So I carry a lot of clubs in there. They're all kind of dialed in, and I love being able to swap them and and that's what I've loved about these high lofted ferry these these high lofted ferrywoods, and even our hybrid option has consistency built into it as well. And I think Shane, we've talked about that. As you got your your irons fly the lowest, give you some different options with the flatter face or the crossover that's doing that with the flatter face. Then you got hybrids go medium high. Been great for a lot of players, and we see a lot of like you know, our LPGA tour players, for example, playing all the way up through our six hybrid and replacing six irons, which is awesome. Even the better players are doing that because of the spinsistency. That has solved that distance control issue. That's the biggest thing for golfers to realize out there, like, oh, hybrids go left or once in a while, I get the flyer that goes over. We've kind of solved that, so give it a shot, give it a chance, even in the hybrids. And then having those high lofted fairwywood options. And one thing I wanted to ask Ko about this was how you use length to fit for spin or control with those high lofted fairwoods. Because I'm going down the list of our tour players that have played a seven wood or or five wood. You know Tyrell Victor plated at the Masters. Maybe we could talk about that a little bit, Ko. You know, Mackenzie Hughes, Austin Cook, Taylor Moore, Corey Connors. All these guys are playing out seven wood at like forty one inches or let's see, Tyrell's even got his is forty and a half, so like an inch and a half short of our our standard length. How do you use length. Is that fitting lever to kind of dial in distance, launch and spin in the high loft of fairy woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 5: I think that's actually kind of the secret to how we do it out there. That forty one inches has really become a great spot for launch angle. If you get it forty one inches in about nineteen degrees of actual waft, Guys start to launch it between nine and eleven degrees, and that initial lower launch angle makes guys a lot more comfortable with the club because all the resistance we get from it is Like Victor Hobbn's a good example. He's like, I'm like, dude, I think you could use a seven wood at Major's or really firm golf courses. And he's just his apprehension was that I was just gonna go so high, Kenn. It's just gonna go so high into the wind. I can't hit it. So it's not gonna be very versatile, right, because he just has this idea that's going to peek out if there's five miles in his face, it's not going to go the distance he needs. Well, at the shorter length and the little reduction in waft using the loft sleeve. They're launching so low relative to the loft of the club that they can hit penetrated flights if they turn it over. They get that, you know, they get The sweet spot on the seven wood is get him to forty four hundred RPMs of spin on a straight shot. And that's how Hatton got a little bit more reduced in length because he was over spinning it a little bit, so instead of taking off more waft, we just cut it down, reduces the launch, reduces the spin a little bit. You get him around forty four to forty six hundred on the straight ball. Well, then the draw spin at about four thousand, and it can go anywhere upwards like two sixty for those guys, and then you can still like swap a cutout there at five thousand, and that one goes about two forty, So then you're covering twenty yards of coverable yardage on the PGA tour. There's no other club in your bag that can really do that effectively as that seven.
Speaker 3: Would such a great it's just such a great fitting lever, I think for all of our fitters out there, of you know, why does going shorter work? You know, it's reducing the clubbet speed a little bit when you go shorter, and then when you go shorter, you can play the ball a little bit further back and you deliver with less dynamic loft, little more handle, lean at impact, so to speak. It's just a great use case. So it doesn't mean it's for everybody. Ko I think the flip side, we were talking about Cameron Champ who doesn't need a seven wood, but he plays a five wood is his three wood. I think a five wood maybe in the Big minus or something. Obviously, he's always had to play a lot of loft on his driver because his angle of attack is more down. You know, we have Corey Bacon on our team who plays a twelve degree driver as driver, and he's always played a five wood and he hits it way further than my three wood. Tell us a little bit about maybe about some of those guys who are playing a five wood and maybe cam is is the main one there as their three wood.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Cameron's definitely he does that on a day to day basis just because you know, it does help that he has so much clubhead speed and ball speed, so that five would still going probably two eighty five for Cameron. But the nice thing about the five wood that we do for Austin Cook will do it. If he gets a course that's actually a little bit softer, he'll go five wood. And other guys have done it from time to time, just when their swing gets off a little bit. Because one of the things that most guys hate on tours if they get under it and behind it and they can't get off the right side. So sometimes guys would do a five would just like, hey, I don't want to, you know, get under it and flip it over there. I just want to get a five wood and smash down on it, and you know, if it spins a little bit more, I'm okay. So that's one way that we use the five wood is just give guys some waft and with the consistency of the five wood, and when you turn it down in that wat suiteve, it's not like they spend that much more. There's only about a you can get a five would to spin out just a couple hundred RPMs more than our three wood.
Speaker 1: Marty, you mentioned that you carry a lot of clubs when you play competitive golf. I was thinking as you were talking, I know you probably have status with an airline, But what's this bagway.
Speaker 4: In an ad?
Speaker 1: I mean, are we like, are we nearing sixty five seventy pounds as we check in?
Speaker 3: Shane one of Okay, here's the golf hack right here. And I don't know if you do this, but I put a luggage, you know, one of those luggage scales. I have like a garage storage up top, and I hang it up there, and anytime I packed my bag, boom, I hang it on there and make sure it's at forty nine point nine, you know. So that's a little golf at for all the golfers out there.
Speaker 1: You're like, I don't need this extra sleeve of balls. It'll be okay. I'll just hit the same balls in the practice round. Always as stress. By the way, when you go to the airport put the bag for like a six or seven day golf trip and it's like this is gonna peak fifty.
Speaker 3: I think, exactly, yeah, you got you gotta you gotta have that scale at home and optimize it. And I usually end up putting training aids, balls, all that heavy stuff and bag number two.
Speaker 4: Over there and maybe carry on bag three.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: That's the key.
Speaker 5: You can even if it gets close, you can pop off all your heads nowadays that three heads and see a couple of pounds get those Yeah, I mean it can't go in at fifty one.
Speaker 2: That's just where we live.
Speaker 4: It can't get that. You can't do it. Ko, I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 1: We've talked seven woods and we dipped into the five woods. Can you talk about the nine wood revolution because it feels like we're moving in that direction as well, where you're gonna see more tour players to go more loft on the woods than less loft.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we've actually we've had probably i'll say five to ten nine woods in play over the last couple of years, and it's it basically comes.
Speaker 2: At extreme course setups.
Speaker 5: Okay, so like you get a course with super high wing foot already played there. We had a couple of guys put in nine woods that just it was just like I can hack this thing out of rough from one eighty to two hundred, and I can't do that with any other cup of my bag. So I don't need this four iron or seven wood even I'm just gonna play this club. And so when I get in that super thick rough, I can at least hack this down the fairway. I think Taylor Moore played one at Tory Pines for the same reason. It's such a long golf course that his seven wood was irrelevant. So just put the nine wood into play so that you can hack it down when you hit it in that primary rough.
Speaker 4: Kenton, what's a tour player hit a nine wood like?
Speaker 1: Not not a camp Champ, not a Tony Fenale, but what is like a middling tour player, middle and average distance tour player hit a nine wood, It's.
Speaker 5: Probably gonna go about two twenty five, two thirty, Okay. The coolest thing about nine woods in a tour player's hand is it's I mean, what is it? Twenty three is degrees of lots and we build them at forty inches with like a telephone pole shaft. They can't if they hit it to twenty seven like solid. They can't hit it to twenty nine like it just has like a governor on it because of all the loft. It's awesome, like they just it only will go to twenty seven.
Speaker 3: I gotta try it. That's on my list, man. I'm making a note. Tried nine wood.
Speaker 1: I mean, Marty, I mean you just add another add another club to the back. I mean, this is just one more thing you got to put into the travel bag. It's just again, I just go back to the I just find the waves of the golf technology where it was everybody played a hybrid, and then it was then it was driving irons and crossovers, and now the lofted woods and Marty going back to what we started the conversation with, a lot of this is due to the technology involved in these golf clubs, where now you can lean into other areas of your golf bag that you didn't know existed, because they're going to perform more consistently than they did fifteen to twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, Shane. I think I think one of the fun things for the listener that I think you've heard from me is very optimistic that we can keep making golf clubs easier to hit, right. I think a lot of I think a lot of golfers out there like, oh, the manufacturers are They're all constrained by all these rules. What more can they do? That is the furthest thing from the truth, Like we are doing things like sponsistency is a really innovative way to improve the face stability and to improve your spin consistency. I mean, one of the biggest things I remember going back to Camp Champ there in Vegas, Ko was he was there, he had the force, he had the quad, and Sean Foley was with him, so he had the quad shomp foling there hitting the four to thirty driver and his spin range. None of his drives changed spin by more than like one hundred RPMs. And I was there for like twenty or thirty straight t balls, and I'm going.
Speaker 4: Holy moly.
Speaker 3: So if the golfer's out there are there to go and in, you're gonna get a fitting. Look at that spin range. Look at how high your spin is with your GAMER driver, how low it is, or or for the techi's out there, look at this number that says plus or minus of spin, so you'll get your spin. You have your grouping. That plus or minus of spin is your spinsistency. That's how tight your window is. So your GAMER might be like plus or minus five hundred plus or minus four hundred. That means one time your spin might be thirty two hundred. Then it goes to twenty two hundred with the four to thirty you'll go in there and evaluate this and you might see your average spin being twenty six. Your high might be twenty eight, your low might be twenty four. That's that tight window, and we're just it's so fun shame to keep passing along those things to the golfer. And that's a real practical way for the fitters and the golfers out there to measure that in your fitting environment.
Speaker 1: Marty, I don't know if you have these numbers in front of you, So if you don't, you can obviously discard the question. But we talk a lot about spin, and we always urge people, if you gonna get fit, go find a pink fitter in your area, lean into them, lean into their their knowledge and the basis of what they have at their disposal. But let's say somebody doesn't do that. What is an average spin or an let's say, optimal spin for an average player. So let's say if you hit it two fifty to two sixty off the T, two seventy two ninety off the T, what should the spin look like with the driver?
Speaker 3: Shane, that man, that's a great question, and it's it's I think we want to encourage everybody now that fitting environments are so easy to find. We could give you a general number, but it's it's highly dependent on your club speed, which we could get from that distance range.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: But the other ingredient that is mandatory to know is your angle of attack. Right, You got to know your angle of attack, and that's hard to see with the naked eye. And now I think we're living in an age that's super easy to go find that out because all of our fitters out there have launch monitors that can measure that, and they have access to tools like pink co pilot or Optimal Launch and spin chart. So yeah, dial up, go to ping dot com, click on find a fitter, type in your zip code, find a fitter nearby you that's using ping co pilot, go to them and they will get you absolutely dialed uh Kenton.
Speaker 1: Before we let you go, we've talked seven Woods, We've talked to nine Woods. Are we are we going to eleven Woods? So like, where where does this stop? Like what's that next step? Or do you think nine Wood is the stop sign?
Speaker 2: I think nine Wood is the stop sign. I think we're good there.
Speaker 4: You don't think we're gonna go to eleven? Okay?
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Ka Oh you don't remember. Do you remember Daniel Chopro with the jepro Elwood he put it in at a US.
Speaker 4: Open, Marty. What was that? What was that like? I mean, what what was that comparable to?
Speaker 3: That was like in eleven wood? It was like an eleven wood and it was uh now granted it was for the US Open. I forget where it was that year. And he's looking for the ultimate hack out club, you know, uh, but we have had some tour players do it. But I think I'm kind of along the lines as Ko. I think on the PGA Tour nine wood might be it for for at least the foreseeable future.
Speaker 1: Still wild again to kind of see it, I mean, I will say this. I went out a couple days ago with the family to my club and we were just kind of driving around, and it's actually excellent practice because go out late in the day, nobody's really on the golf course. My son can run around like a crazy person. My daughter now has walking wild and she kind of likes to just run around as well. And I can just kind of hit shots. You know, I've never hit a shot from here. I've always wanted to hit this shot, and I threw the seven wood in the bag because I've kind of had it in the bag and out of the bag over the last few months, and I was hitting some of those two thirty five two forty yard shots with the seven wood and it doesn't deviate much left to right, you know. I mean you really can see it fly straight high and landsoft, and depending on the conditions of the year out here in the Northeast, it is going to be in the bag for twenty twenty four. I can guarantee that. And it's fun to see Kent. How was your second appearance? What would you say? Would you like it more or less?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: It's not as beautiful behind you as their first appearance? But what were your thoughts on appearance number two?
Speaker 5: It was? It was just as good as the first. I do enjoy those Majors are pretty fun. So hopefully our third one can be at Augusta, because that's a pretty special that.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: That's nudging the Powers to be to have us do the podcast exactly at the Masters across the street, of course, but we can do it, you know, near the parking lot.
Speaker 4: Marty.
Speaker 1: A lot of fun consistency is so cool and it's so fun to dive into. And obviously this world is seven woods. As we've talked about, the popularity of these woods have blown up, and it feels like the more people I play golf with, the more I see them in the bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been super fun. Go out, check them out. Give fit for him. I think, if you're one of our fitters out there, don't be afraid to play around with length and G four thirty family, Shane. Thanks to Ko and in our team and in the performance of it, has taken the PGA Tour by storm. It's been the number one model played on the PGA Tour I think like nine straight weeks or something this summer, and even a few times lately. It's been over double the most popular model than some of the other models out there. So go give a shot and enjoy having very stable spin.
Speaker 4: Marty.
Speaker 1: Here's how popular G four thirty is right now. Every time I play golf these days, I'll have somebody asked to hit my driver. To the point, now I'm a lefty, they can't hit my driver. They don't really think about it. I've got to the point now where I'm thinking about reaching out to Bill and saying, you might need to send me a righty G four thirty just to have in the bag, just to have it in the golf bag. And you go, yeah, actually, you can't hit this one. You can swing this one and see the performance that we all love because it is an unbelievable golf club and it's my favorite driver to hit, and I love it so much and I can't wait to see you know what you guys have kind of in the hopper because I cannot only imagine if it improves off of G four thirty, it's going to be in every golfer's bag.
Speaker 4: Canton appreciate the time. Marty. Always great to see you.
Speaker 1: This is the Ping Proven Grounds Podcast