Speaker 1: Live Covery Jump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission Listen CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Steeler Nation, and welcome back to the campus of Saint Vincent College. Here for another edition of the Drive on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold West Shielder. Matt Williamson, we are with you for three hours as always as we will put a bow on the day's operations were Matt. Once again, Mother nature had her way and the boys had to move inside to the new rec facility behind us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and from what I gather, I don't think these are like trade secrets or anything. That it was more of a walk through type pace and a little titan there. It's a great new facility in all, but that's ninety three guys in a note hundred yard field. And got the impression that it was kind of a lighter, more mental than physical type of workout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were some media people that were allowing didn't know. Yeah we we did not, but a couple of the media people were allowed in. But I don't think they really get there that I should say. They all kind of echoed that same sentence that you just had. It's a fifty we we finally we figured out some some things that we had been wondering. It's a fifty yard field with the two end zones, so it's so seventy in total, but a fifty yard field plus the end zones, which you can have a field better than you know, better than certainly the small gymnasium across the way, but still going to a handcuff you a little bit in terms of what you can accomplish.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, especially with that many bodies too. It'd be different even if there was fifty three guys. But I mean you almost have doubled that, so, yeah, you could break up in the groups and do some things. And I don't think it was just walk through walk through, but I think there was a lot of that pace to it from what I've asked three or four people that were there, and frankly, I mean it's not again not a huge secret, but they're like, you didn't miss a whole lot as a spectator, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One thing that I did want to follow up with you, Matt, speaking of kind of procedural things, you and I yesterday had kind of hypothesized what happens when an NFL team during training camp has to pause because of weather. Yeah, yeah, and then move to a different location. Yes, And we talked about like, does the clock keep running if you have one hundred and ten minutes, can you stop that time to move your location or is it as soon as the clock is running, once the sand is through the hour glass, right, it's all gone and practice is over. I asked our buddy Jerry Dulac last night and he said, you do have the ability to pause. So when the Steelers, not that it takes them very long. They're fortunate here, but still, but that could be ten to fifteen, twenty minutes to get everybody moved, to get everybody reset and in the new place, and all the equipment and different things that you need. But it is you are able to stop that time so which help help them out here a.
Speaker 3: Little bit, which I'm sure you had mentioned this earlier, and I'm glad we brought it up because we left some people hanging on that. And when you told me that you found the answer out last night you mentioned, I'm like, we should have just assumed that, you know what I mean, like, because there have been times they paused here and went to the south side, right.
Speaker 2: That's why there, because it wouldn't make much sense if they paused here and then drove sixty minutes away, yeah, and could only get twenty more minutes of practice.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you only get you know, one hundred and ten minutes of practice like the early ones were, and you even have to just go to the facility that you can basically throw a frisbee too. From here, you're still gonna waste fifteen minutes of transporting people and then walking down and getting regrouped out of one hundred and ten minutes or whatever. Of course that has to be the rule, but I guess the next step is I assume it's just sort of an honor system, you know what.
Speaker 2: That's what Jerry made it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, you know, like yeah, yes, we had to pause fifteen minutes because of rain or we had to get undercover or whatever. Then we resumed at one o three or you know, right.
Speaker 2: If you're if you're two or three or four or five minutes off, okay, so it once now if you're trying to steal half an hour here and there, and then that's when we.
Speaker 3: Kept them six pm because we had that delay like.
Speaker 2: That, ain't a twenty minute delay does not give you two extra hours of practice. So little housekeeping from us, Yeah, some conversation that we don't leave.
Speaker 3: You hang on that Matt.
Speaker 2: One thing that I noticed today that I wanted to run by you. And again it's been it's been a little tough sledding for us this week because Monday we got to see about thirty minutes of practice, maybe at forty minutes of practice, but a nice chunk of that was just stretching and warming up. Anyways, and then today not being able to see any I did we will do some bigger picture stuff today and I think this is kind of a good just little reset here in some ways. Ben's yeah, Ben sol Lack of ESPN dot com, who who you and I like? Visited Steelers camp a couple of days ago and he kind of uh talked to some people, had some conversations, did some observations, and outlined what he learned, what he took took away some other kind of key points from his time here in Latrobe. So best thing he saw and heard is that the defensive line is a preposterously deep unit.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows about Cam Hayward, you know, as he kind of writes here, but Keanu Benton on a contract year really you know, looking to put his best foot forward. Derek Harmon had a good first season, looking to build on that. Y A Black he set is one of the largest people in the league, and.
Speaker 3: He loves the.
Speaker 2: And he loves the veteran edition of Sebastian Joseph Day. He said, this could be, uh, he could be the kind of the the nose tackle, uh that Pittsburgh needs him and him and y A Black and what that will allow the guys to do. And then he said, you know, when you kind of factor in the edge room along with that deep.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if he was to go there because I think he should. Yeah, like the whole defensive front, yes.
Speaker 2: That you know that he thinks that that is going to be just such a strength of this team. He's excited to see how new defensive coordinator Patrick Graham is going to you know, move some guys around and try some different concepts. But just a defensive line in an edge group that has really high end talent and some really quality depth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's also got age and youth and everything in between, some dudes that are in their prime leadership. There's a lot of money and draft picks invested, and you better get that out of that group. But I also think it's really noteworthy that the new defensive coordinator, Patrick Graham has made no bones about saying he thinks defense starts up front. He's spending obviously a ton of time with the big people as well in the hands on fashion as well as designing blitzes and stunts and simulator pressures and all that kind of stuff too. So I think you'll see their responsibilities and duties change from last year. But I also think it's a better group than last year, just because similar. But yeah, you throw Joseph Day in the mix, I think is a really nice addition that you didn't need, but you want.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great way to state it. And you know, hey, if we all know at some point, you know, Cam Heyward is not going to be at the absolute height of his powers, that's just that's just mother nature and father times when not if all those in all those things. But I think if even if Cam is a nine eighty five percent of the player that he was last year, if all those other young guys around him take a noticeable step forward, and Benton and Harmony a black and you get solid contributions from Sebastian Joseph Day, I think that that group could very easily be clearly improved from a unit that was solid last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and frankly, I'll even i'mluck you hard time, but I'll be shocked if Cam is only eighty five percent of last year. Yeah, I mean, like my hunches, he'll have another good year reconsider as his career. And if I'm not gonna be great, I'm just gonna hang it up, you know, And one day I'm just not gonna be playing anymore. As opposed to he's you know, at the and not looking like the player he could be. Now, I think a lot of this really goes back to you know that this is a plan of the front office. This is Omar and the whole organization saying Cam, we love you, but you we do not. You must mean to say, can't be the defensive tackle. It plays the most snaps in the league. Again, I mean, what do we I mean, you're begging for trouble, right, I mean you're really good for it, right, I mean like, okay, maybe maybe he's not on borrowed time, but that doesn't mean you have to push your luck to that degree. You know, let's get him to be Let's just drop his snapcount by one hundred or two hundred, and then all this rolls into place. Maybe your fourth quarter defense isn't the worst in the league, you know what I mean, Like, let's stay fresh for seventeen plus games. Let's stay fresh for sixty plus minutes. Because we know where things were falling apart. It's late in games and late in the season against tom competition over the years. So how do we avoid that Sebastian Joseph Day, you know, move him all over, come in and play forty snaps, but we didn't get out of anybody last year, you know. I mean, that's that's a plan, and you deal with injuries better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's absolutely I think a solid plan. That's the way you outline it there. It makes a ton of sense, and you're right, it's just you can almost sometimes with these guys, I think, especially when they get to Cam. Heyward's age less can be more.
Speaker 3: It has to be.
Speaker 2: It has to be. Yeah, uh, And I think we see that with some veteran guys around the league, And Hey, it's amazing what you got out of Cam last year, the level that he played at, the amount of snaps and just consistent health that he had across the board last season.
Speaker 3: You're tempting faith, but you better know you.
Speaker 2: Better not be banking on that every single year and counting on running them back.
Speaker 3: It's amazing you've gotten this much out of them, and it's amazing you could even consider doing it again. It's really because he did it to him. It's amazing. I mean, it's simply incredible. The ironman, the toughness, and I don't think he's the problem in the fourth quarters by any means, I mean, I wish they all played like Cam Hayward in the fourth quarter of the eleven that are out there. But again, he is human, you think, But man, you do not want to just keep testing and say, oh, just keep eating eating innings and expect you to mow everyone down with fastballs. You know.
Speaker 2: He has also in here Ben Solac's breakdown of what he learned at Pittsburgh Steelers camp on ESPN dot com one fantasy football nugget. In his breakdown here too, Matt He says, I can't get a lean on Jalen Warren and Rico Dowdell, but I'm confident both will be used enough to be playable in any given week. Dado is a more than capable receiving back, and I think he'll bite into Warren's catches more than most people might realize. Warren is a spectacular tackle breaker, and I think he'll bite into Dowdel's carries more than most people realize. The Steelers will have to be a run heavy team is they will need a strong play action game to get any explosives.
Speaker 3: Totally get that, uh, And I get the hunch just chatting with people, no one's like divulged house secrets or anything. But I do think the Warren Doubtle combination will be less situational than the gain Well situation or Nause's the early down guy. Warren's third downs, I mean, I think that they're gonna be semi hot handish, you know, first and ten, just take this series and if you get.
Speaker 2: It, pick up a six yard run on first.
Speaker 3: Down, or if you're gassed, don't be afraid to come out because I'll get your right back in. You know, I got another suitable dude here. That they're gonna be somewhat interchangeable. Well, the only thing I'll differ from what I just said said though, is third and long, not necessarily every third. I can't believe it will be doubtful just because.
Speaker 2: Of how much Warren excels and pass protection.
Speaker 3: Come and catching the ball, I mean, as an more just accomplished route runner, and he's better in protection. But if everyone's healthy and it's everything's equal, although homework could do a little bit of that too, he's good in protection and he's a good third down guy. Yes, yes, I'm assuming he's a maged team, but.
Speaker 2: I think so too. But I also really want to see what his uses looks like on Thursday when we get into preseason, into that game of course against the Green Bay Packers. It's coming up a little over forty eight hours from now at Akersure Stadium. Final.
Speaker 3: Couple's happening to see this by the total coincidence, But our buddy Tyler just sent us a tweet that Ben Soley put out saying, and we could talk about it or not, but I'm want to get back to his article, like you mentioned, But you're a team with an aging starter quarterback Steelers, Rams Jets, how much would you offer for JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Well, I personally wouldn't offer much because I don't I don't believe it.
Speaker 3: I didn't like him coming on a Michigan. Yeah, I'm aiming bigger. I mean right, I'd rather go after Anthony Richardson then JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good one.
Speaker 3: We will. There's no room for any of that though here, Like what are you gonna do with another one? You're having a hard time getting four and involved.
Speaker 2: We will do some around the league stuff here in this first hour. But yes, Kyler Murray named the starter for the Kings today, which obviously they.
Speaker 3: See I mean, that was just like, we don't even have to fake it anymore.
Speaker 2: I think that was inevitable the day he signed the contract, just they just needed some time to let it seem like there was a process playing out. Other notes here from Solac that he's his takeaways from Steelers camp. The buzz in Pittsburgh is at thirty year receiver Roman Wilson has rounded a corner and developed workable chemistry with Aaron Rodgers. I'm not sure how many snaps he will get behind DK Metcalf and Michael Pittman junior, where you know, he might even be one of the guys that they don't want on the field in heavy, heavy run usage situations, so he'll be probably relegated to more clear passing sets.
Speaker 3: At this time, I assume Bernard would be the better blocker even in his rookie year. I only say that just because Bernard has not played a football game.
Speaker 2: His next bullet point actually says that that he's better on blocking assignments in some of the finer details during eleven on eleven's.
Speaker 3: Okay, Bernard, yes, I totally get that. Now you aren't on a speaking to McCarthy, you're not on a Harbaugh led Michigan team without doing something. You're not going to just walk around out there in a heavy run team when you're winning the national title. He's just not very big or powerful, But I do think he'll stick his nose in, he'll effort. And I also think what Ben doesn't mention here is they are going to play a fair amount of twelve. I'm sure and neither one of those guys will be out there in twelve, but it looks like he's coming around. I'm starting to buy in.
Speaker 2: Speaking of tight ends, Ben Solak asked Brian Angelico, who of course was a tight ends coach for a long time in the league, as if he has ever quote if he has ever coached anyone like Darnell Washington, and he said maybe just Josh Oliver would be the only one similar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's smaller but still power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, every bit of two hundred and eighty maybe even two hundred and ninety pounds, And looking for him to open things up in the play action passing game this season. What Darnell watching and brings to the offense cannot be understated in value for a quarterback like Aaron Rodgers who needs clean pockets to operate. At this point in his career, having a tight end who is essentially a sixth offensive lineman is particularly valuable.
Speaker 3: Couldn't agree more. We've sung his praises forever. He's one of my favorite Steelers. I think he's one of the most unique players in the league. I think, you know, I often use these examples of and I'm not picking on Connor Hayward, but when they would trust Connor Hayward out there, I think the defense said thanks. I think when you put Adam Thielen out there, Valdez Scantling, a lot of these guys that the offense says, thank you. That guy's not that hard to play against. Darnolt Washington is not the best tight end in the league, but he's one of the hardest to play against. Yeah, it sure matters.
Speaker 2: Two more here from Ben Solack of ESPN dot Com. His takeaways from the Steelers so far is that FALTONU McCormick, and Zach Fraser form about as good of a young offensive line bedrock as you could find in this league. And if Maxie Honatchorre can stay healthy and win the right tackle job, Pittsburgh as something here.
Speaker 3: I'm glad he recognized that, you know, like, it's easy for us to say we're excited about the young No line and we've seen all the resources go in, but I've gone out and said things to the extreme of I would not trade this line for any other in terms of investments going forward. Youth Now, you can maybe convince me on one or two we could. You know, Alton Slater are pretty nice pair of tackles and you know, things like that. But for him to compare that, like on a national level, to say that this could be an enviable group compared to thirty one other teams, not just oh, it's so much better than it used to be when Moore was out there at left tackle and guys like that. I think it's you know, spot on. And Ben does get work.
Speaker 2: He does. And then the last thing here from Ben Solak is that basically, when you consider the size and the physicality of the wide receivers, when you consider Darnel Washington, Pat Fryarmouth and rookie fifth round of Riley Noah Kowski, the Steelers are really going to challenge teams that want to play with light boxes and a nickel personnel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know that enough people have caught up to this, but it seems to me, and it's just an observation, but we've talked about a little bit. Almost everyone that this team has added since Mike McCarthy took the job has been a plus sized player. For the two things that have really stood out to me is size for the each respective position, Like I think that's why they went doubt on not game well. And versatility. You know, guys that can align. Pittman can align in several locations. You know, Hoffman can play in a lot of different spots. But almost everybody they've added is a big person for their position, And boy is it going to be obvious to anyone looking on when they tried out Dowder or Warren, Friarmouth, Washington, Pittman and Metcalf who that's one hundred pounds heavier than anyone else's. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then as the as the offenses get smaller around the league, defenses get smaller. Yeah, the defenses get smaller, the offenses start to get bigger again, and.
Speaker 3: Teams play nickel against that. I mean, I'd be real careful with.
Speaker 2: That if you're looking for a matchup card that you can easily pinpoint at this point in the process with the Steelers, I think that would be high on the list, very high on the list for this offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's a little bit of a breakdown from Ben Solak, a national voice and name that Matt and I think does really good work, and his observations from being out here at Steelers camp a few days ago. We're gonna get to our first break. Let's get to some of that news around the league. What's going on in Minnesota, A couple other injuries and extensions across the league that we need to check in on as well as we roll along here just getting started. Matt and I are with you up until six o'clock for about the next three hours as we put a bow on today's proceedings and get you ready for the first preseason game on Thursday. Ului and Williamson, It's the Drive, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light, easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold score. In twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward store and by the Steelers Pro Shop. Visitshop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 2: Back on the campus here of Saint Vincent College, as we've got some news of the day to get to here, as we get going with the drive on this Tuesday, I guess still technically afternoon map. We're rolling towards the evening and of course rolling towards that first preseason game against the Packers on Thursday. Bigger Yeah, I mean, I think this is a relatively big piece of news across the NFL today. But you just heard Matt and I mention it briefly there in the first segment. But according to Adam Schefter and really just about every single NFL national insider, the Vikings have named Kyler Murray there starting quarterback.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: That was pretty quick and probably the plan all along.
Speaker 3: I'm sure now people might not know this entire background. So they are paying Kyler Murray much like the Steelers did Russell Wilson, like basically nothing league minimum million bucks and Arizona's picking up the rest of the tab. But he is a free agent after this year. They're renting him at an unbelievable cost, controlled situation for one season. Now they can extend them, they can franchise, and they can you know they can, just like any other free agent taking deal with them. McCarthy, who they drafted a couple of years ago, is basically been an utter failure. But even though we both said the same thing, I didn't love him coming out of Michigan. You didn't love them coming out of Michigan. He's been also dealta somewhat unfair hand.
Speaker 2: He's had injury issues. A lot going.
Speaker 3: On, a lot of injury issues, and you get behind the eight ball and the tomlinism of trying to hop on a moving train, it gets really difficult. And by no means could Minnesota just say, oh, we'll trust him to be fine this year, because he's when he's been on the field, he's been bad and he's unproven he's young and blah blah blah blah blah. Now I do think their head coach is masterful with quarterbacks. We saw him get a ton out of Darnold, a ton out of Cousins. I think he could might get a kind out of Kyler. But one thing he did didn't do any any favors for McCarthy was his degree of difficulties of throws were really high. You know, now he's showing to Justin Jefferson and that makes it better, but he's driving the ball in the tight windows down the field. There weren't a lot of layup throws for McCarthy. So not only was he kind of swim I mean mentally experienced injury wise, but he was asked to do tough things too. And they had some O line injuries and didn't run the ball great. So I don't I'm not even if I didn't love him coming out of school McCarthy Richardson. Some of these dudes, by no means said the league write them off. And it's only twenty three years old still, which is wild, right, I mean, he could turn into a Baker like level guy. I mean, I don't much sayings to be Burrow or Lamar or anything. But maybe he lands somewhere, probably not Pittsburgh. I don't want Pittsburgh necessarily and revitalizes his career. But if you're the Vikings, I'm sure you basically knew this, and Kyler probably knew this when you signed the deal. You know like that this is just not much competition. Say what you want about Kyler Murray. He's definitely a top twenty quarterback. Maybe he's not quite worth the first overall pick, and he is short, but he's had a lot of good moments too. I mean, he's a good player.
Speaker 2: He's a viable NFL ST Yeah, quarter I'm in at worst where JJ McCarthy's still trying to carve that rollout. He missed his entire rookie season with injury and then started just ten games last year.
Speaker 3: So again, and I think they had the worst quarterback play in the league last year. You've stayed had Jets and Browns are in the conversation, but like from week one to the day you're eliminated. No team was worse at quarter named Max Brosmer in there for two games, and you know, like if.
Speaker 2: They just had maybe the eighteenth best quarterback play, they would have probably made the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they ended up nine to eight. I mean they end a third place in that division. And again I keep saying, if you can go from thirtieth to twentieth that position, you're gonna be in the hunt, right.
Speaker 2: For a couple more wins. It should be enough for a couple more wins. So Kyler Murray will now be the Vikings fourth different Week one starter over the last four years.
Speaker 3: Of course, Siler fans know that's not a fun place today. It is. No, it is not.
Speaker 2: We're finally running one back here again this year, baby, But it was JJ McCarthy last year, Sam Darnold in twenty twenty four, and then Kirk Cousins in twenty twenty three. So Minnesota trying to solve that quarterback issue that Matt, as Matt just stated was an albatross an anchor around their neck last year, and pretty early in this process, Kyler Murray named starting quarterback in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm sure McCarthy would love the opportunity to go elsewhere now, but I don't know that he's got the gravitas to be like I'm demanding a trade, like.
Speaker 2: I would be shocked. He's played ten games in his NFL career.
Speaker 3: We have six round pick for him or something, you know, I mean at that point, and if you're the Vikes, even if he's a long term backup, he might be worth keeping around. I mean, if you would move him, you got nothing on roster next year.
Speaker 2: No doubt. And listen, Kyler Murray is a guy who in his own right is a little undersized. And oh yeah, you know, him playing seventeen games and staying healthy is not guaranteed.
Speaker 3: We might see McCarthy in week four, who knows, and.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's probably Minnesota and Kevin O'Connell's message.
Speaker 3: To him right now, be patient.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm sure, I'm sure you're disappointed, and we know that you know the NFL career has not started for you the way that you had hoped. But just be patient, keep working because.
Speaker 3: We'll work you like crazy in the preseasons.
Speaker 2: Stories far from written, and you're you're gonna have another opportunity at some point. Just get yourself ready.
Speaker 3: For That's the thing. He's gonna have another opportunity at some point.
Speaker 2: Twenty three years old.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: As much as I am not a fan, in his game at all, and I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: He'll probably be a ten year player. Those first round picks get opportunity after opportunity.
Speaker 2: Lookt Kenny Pickett, He's continuing to get opportunities and opportunities. And so yeah, JJ McCarthy's story far from written. Even if Okay, let's let me ask you this then, Matt hypothetical for you before we move on here. Say that the Steelers did not have Will Howard or Drew Aller.
Speaker 3: Okay, that I'd be really interested in those guys.
Speaker 2: Say it was Aaron Rodgers, Mason Rudolph and a camp insert camp Arm, Chris ol a Doken type name, and you'd be interested in JJ McCarthy first.
Speaker 3: Six round pick on the dollars right right, I'd prefer Richardson. I mean, there's probably another name or two out there. I don't think Pennix would be on the move yet, but highly drafted first round dude from the last three years. I'm a believer and I want to take a bite that apple all the time. And like if the Rams hadn't drafted Simpson, I'd go after one of those guys on the cheap. You know, just there's been a lot of recent success or a lot of recent showings of highly drafted dudes like Darnold, even before he went to the Vikings basically sat a year with Shanahan and the Niners. I mean that's where you go in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, like Jameis Winston never came all around, but he went and just sat with Sean Payton in the Saints, you know, behind breeze for a year or whatever it was. You know, like you go to the shop and you get all your you get the loop job and the oil job and new tires and get all the pressure off your back and you just clearly the two even if Josh Allen's in front of you, go there, you know, and just sit for a year and learn exactly.
Speaker 2: It got him another opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, Mitch Bisky has had a very good career, but he was second picking the draft and he's going to retire with twelve years of service under his belt in some starts, you know.
Speaker 2: In a nice sized bank account. Yes, Matt. Some other notables today, weird kind of injury day, lot of injuries popping up here across practices in the league today. Let's start in our own division Raven's corner Nate Wiggins carted off the field, I know, after what looked to be a left leg or knee injury. Couldn't put any weight on his left leg and had to kind of, you know, do the drape his arms over the trainers to get off the field and back into their facility. He's one of those guys that would be on the short list of players that Baltimore canifford to lose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this could be very bad news for them, so they're this is a guy I liked a lot coming out watching his rookie year. I don't think he played all seventeen games. I want to say there's some injuries involved there too. He's skinnier, but a really, really good athlete. Long I thought this guy could be a number one quarterback someday, you know, like he I think this guy's got immense potential and hasn't quite come around. And I always hesitate, you know, camp reports, but the camp reports were he's one of the best player of the camp. And he's like the guy that would follow a metcalf, you know, if they were to follow somebody, he'd be their top corner for sure. He's way past Humphrey at this point, and frankly, I think their secondary had a chance after this offseason and be one of the best in the league. Hamilton would be a bigger loss, but that's about the going one in the secondary team close like this would be huge.
Speaker 2: It's it's unfortunate for Baltimore. Yeah, and hey listen, far from far from being a devastating blow just yet. They'll have all the you know, all the checking into him and his status and everything, but not what you want to hear.
Speaker 3: And you know, cart it off doesn't mean the same.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you always mentioned. Yes, absolutely. Saints defensive end Cam Jordan could potentially miss the start of the season with a hamstring injury. According to head coach Kellen Moore, So a little bit of a bummer for him, with his age and everything. I'm sure there'd be astra cautious, but you as you and I kind of me. He's another He's another nine sacks season away from really having a strong Canton case, and so a big year for Cam Jordan. Hopefully he's able to stay stay healthy and get out there and going at full speed. In September, just about a month from now, the games get going. Also, Matt Rams wide receiver Pooka Nakua left practice with the training staff about just twenty three minutes ago. Here Sean McVay says, no update on his status for what happened, So that's obviously still stay tuned on that very early, but we do know that he left practice with the training staff. Obviously, with all this stuff going on with his contract negotiations and potential discipline from the off feels right he had not the news that Pooka wanted.
Speaker 3: I'm sure no. I mean it goes out saying too. I mean, DeVante Adams a really good player, but like we did a six pack on the Rams yesterday where basically I just create like six concerns or topics and offensive tackle and wide receiver are really thin. You know, like the Rams look like a super team all that, but Adams is declining, and you know, Nikua is the every down work horse type and he would be they may rather lose Miles Garrett, I mean just in terms of how you can get by through the season. So we really stay tuned on this. Like in the fantasy world, he's either the second or third receiver off the board. I mean, we know that he's ridiculously productive, and Jamar Chase is the only one going ahead of him consistently, so he's right there with JSN and he's on a contract year, so hopefully for them and him, it's just you know, a scare. But you said, this just happened like twenty.
Speaker 2: Just happened like twenty some minutes ago. So if there's any other news, we'll obviously keep everybody posted. But that's kind of us some of the moving and shaking, and again some big names there with some some injury designations or at least some concerns in practice on this Tuesday across the league.
Speaker 3: Matt Wiggins ones really to keep an.
Speaker 2: Eye on, I mean, especially for the Steelers.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean, right, it's the it's the uh you know, it's.
Speaker 2: That adage that we all know of, like we're never going to sit here and root for our opponents to get injured or anything like that. It's just bush league. But we also aren't going to hide the fact that that would have big ramifications for the Ravens, for the Steelers, for all the AFC North and in Baltimore, potentially having an injury to one of their key contributors on defense.
Speaker 3: Real quick with them. I'm almost certain Matta Bouquet is dressing for every practice, doing things, but at a very very slow pace. Like I don't think he's doing teamwork. I don't think he's banging with centers and guards yet. But there is a lot of cautious optimism around him. But other than Hamilton Wiggins and Mattabuquet are as important as any defensive player on that team.
Speaker 2: To not what you want to hear in early August when there's still a lot of a lot of time left in this season and in this process, and you don't want to start losing guys this early along. That is for sure for certain. West Ruler Matt Williamson. More conversation when we return. As we roll along, it is the Drive of Course High, a topfield on the campus of Saint Vincent College. All part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold Score. In twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home Exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in the USA, your Neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 2: Interesting breakdown from Bill Barnwell, who Matt and I are both fans of of ESPN dot com. You know we mentioned the La rams there and Pukunakua leaving practice and what is everyone just knows the proverbial the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl right now in LA after as good as they were last year. Then they add Trent McDuffie, Then they add Miles Garrett, They should or could looking likely to potentially add Aaron Donald into the fold as well. Understandably the favorite at this point. And what Bill Barnwell did, Matt was he kind of took the fifteen most significant favorites heading into a season in the NFL in the Super Bowl era. Ye, so there's a couple one or two from the eighties, couple from the nineties, and then the majority of them from the twenty first century, also when this information was readily available.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and say, I know how long they've been charting these things, But that's his problem, not mine.
Speaker 2: But of the fifteenth fifteen teams that were the most significant favorites to win a Super Bowl during the season, how did that end up playing out for them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Which is interesting because I'm sure it's like this time of year you look at like all the rams are really tough, but boy, it's a long year. It's a tough division for them. In particular, the NFC has a lot of options in pitfalls. And as we always say, and we saw it in the last segment talking about Pooka Nakua as monks and some other things around the league, most of the stuff that happens to teams going forward is bad. It just is.
Speaker 2: It's the nature of the beast, right.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned this, you know, stealing your thunder a little bit. We were walking in and you mentioned this, you know, this segment to some degree. So if you're like a fifteen to twenty percent chance of winning the Super Bowl, that's so high.
Speaker 2: Like this year's Rams lead the league by a substantial margin. Math they have a twelve and a half percent and they're twelve and.
Speaker 3: A half Okay, wow, I mean twenty's probably getting.
Speaker 2: Say, twenty's about the highest that you you know, a couple of those Chiefs teams the past few years, coming to the Tom Bradytriots teams, and then I think maybe.
Speaker 3: I wonder, like the seventy eight if you go back to that.
Speaker 2: Wasn't back that far. But there are some of the you've highlighted in the past. How for so long the NFC championship.
Speaker 3: Game, or if they Dallas Dallas.
Speaker 2: Niners and sometimes they met in the divisional round you know earlier, that plays out on this list too. But even those teams, Yeah, eighteen nineteen, twenty percent is very very high end.
Speaker 3: Like obviously, I don't think you need a mathematician to say you always take the field over the champ. I wonder if other sports are like that, Like do you think the Jordan Bulls were like forty percent or the Gretzky Oilers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean, some of those Yankees teams.
Speaker 3: Right like still there's a lot of bad things, but not like the NFL.
Speaker 2: No, no, not at all.
Speaker 3: I mean, if Jordan stays healthy, they're gonna be in it.
Speaker 2: Because they can play two bad games against the Jazz and still win the series.
Speaker 3: And six right right right, Yes.
Speaker 2: So of the fifteen most significant favorites, Matt two won the Super.
Speaker 3: Bowl of fifteen yes, now okay.
Speaker 2: Now sick four others part of me lost the Super Bowl. So six six of those fifteen little under half at least went to the Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: Guess, which is more than I would have guessed. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, the other side of it, too is there's been a few that just flat out missed the playoffs. Not many, not many, but a couple. The two thousand and two La Rams were one of those teams that had you know, and that was kind of the greatest show on the turf, greatest show on turf era there and that team, sorry the two thousand because yeah, in two thousand and one they had lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots. That was the first of the of the Tom Brady, Bill Belichick era Patriots. A lot of these are those Patriot teams.
Speaker 3: The I would think the Patriots would be well represented.
Speaker 2: You know, the ninety eight Green Bay Packers who lost to the Niners in the wild card round or on this list. But pretty much all these teams Matt at least made the playoffs. I think there were only like I said, I think the two thousand and eight New England Patriots missed the playoffs. That was the year that Matt Castle had to fill in for Tom Brady, so obviously, but they.
Speaker 3: Still were like fourteen and two they I know, they just happened to lose tie.
Speaker 2: Breakers, which is a nuts. They were eleven and five that I just didn't have the tie breakers to make it. They were one of the ones that missed the playoffs, and then one of those Rams teams, but that was the two thousand and two Rams after losing to the Super Bowl the previous year. So two of the fifteen favorites won the super Bowl. Two of the fifteen favorites didn't even make the playoffs at all.
Speaker 3: I can't remember happened to the Rams scene that did make the playoffs. But one of them lost the best quarterback of all time. Yes, you know, but that's what kept them out and barely kept them out. They were, you know, a tiebreaker away from going to the playoffs. Yes, so this team. These teams basically almost always go to the play.
Speaker 2: These teams basically almost always go to the playoffs and at least at least advanced to the divisional or championship weekend, and.
Speaker 3: Half of them have at least gotten to the Super Bowl, which again is way more than I expected, way more than way as walk in here, I said, ah, maybe one out of four makes the final game.
Speaker 2: So yeah, about twelve and a half percent that for them this year, Matt. By the way, where was the number here? I just had? It is seven and a half percent higher than anyone else in the league.
Speaker 3: Which is a ton. It doesn't sound like much, but when you, I mean, even the Raiders probably have a one percent, sure.
Speaker 2: You pretty much everybody does.
Speaker 3: So that gets to a hundred pretty quick. When there's thirty two teams, if one of them is almost if number one on the list is almost double the Seahawks or whoever's number two, and so, by the way, they're not even the defending champs, it'd be kind of different if it was. Like Boy, the Steelers have won three of the last five Super Bowls. The only time it didn't go was when they were so crushed by injuries. I like their chances of going in you know, the seventy nine seasons. Yes, they're pretty good. We've seen a lot or even like the Chiefs with Mahomes, Like worst season is hosting the l Championship.
Speaker 2: And losing an overtime to Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: Like their chances. You know, that's not that shocking. But the Rams didn't even go Super Bowl last year, right right, you know.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the things that he puts a potential you know, pitfalls. It's the schedules tough. The division is maybe the best in the league. You've got Super Bowl champion Seattle. Still, you know, the Rams in twenty twenty five finished second in DVOA. The only problem is that another team in their division finished first in DVOA. So that's obviously a big thing to keep an eye on. And you speak, he was.
Speaker 3: MVP, but he was also an older quarterback too. They had this time last year. All we were talking about is Mike staff or Matthew Stafford's neck is a huge problem. Is even going to make it the week one? Yep? Well he didn't. He won the MVP, but wow.
Speaker 2: That's the third So the first thing you mentioned is the schedule difficulty. The third thing he mentions is the quarterback is at that age where he could always get hurt take even just an unexpected half step backward backwards. And then final angle is what if another super team emerges? You know, what if Caleb Williams goes full super nova in year two under Ben Johnson. What if Jordan Love plays at an MVP level. What if Jalen Hurts and Saquon Barkley run it back? You know, because the NFC does have some other contenders with some really talented rosters there. So it was just kind of an interesting piggyback what we were just talking about.
Speaker 3: I know we're up again. So last thing too, they were horrible on special teams last year and McVeigh doesn't put much stress in that.
Speaker 2: If that gets to seventeen in the league, get a.
Speaker 3: Kick blocked in the aftach area, goes the other way around, right right right.
Speaker 2: Hour in the books, two more hours to go. We have got plenty of ground to cover here. As we roll along, we'll start getting you ready for that preseason game on Thursday night. As all eyes now turned to the Steelers first in stadium action, Rolling along here on the Drive West Shouler Matt Williamson. We are at Saint Vincent College and it's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on a Steelers Audio network