Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome back to Carol Marco's show on iHeartRadio. I've been seeing a lot more posts on my South Florida Facebook boards of people looking to make friends. They often post a short summary about themselves, sometimes a picture. A lot of the times it's couples. They describe their interests. They say, I like pick a ball, I like camping, we surf that kind of thing. Like I mentioned last episode, a lot of people have moved states in the last few years. Florida has obviously been a hub for that, and making friends in adulthood is hard. One of the things I think about is that we're overthinking this friend making and that's why in the last episode I focus on the fact that it's not so much that I want to make friends, which I do, but I want to make more acquaintances. I want to be able to recognize more people in my neighborhood and just know their names, and that's been a bit of a challenge. So I get that people are having trouble with the next step, which is, you know, actually making friends that you hang out with more. When you're little, they're outside and you're outside and now you're friends. Or maybe they sit next to you in class, or maybe they share your dorm room, or maybe you have the same first job, and on and on. But it's situational, right, You're in the same proximity to each other, and that's how you become friends. But in adulthood, we want a lot of similar match points. The people on the Facebook groups, they're not posting I live here, if you live here, let's be friends. They're posting I'm into this? Are you into this? Can we be friends? We want to have a lot more things in common. And I'm guilty of it too. When we moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn, I was much more likely to become friends with someone if they had more than one kid the same age as my kids. So the people that we hung out with the most had two or sometimes even three kids that matched up in age with our kids. It was just easier. It's similar to dating. You get set in your ways and it becomes harder to connect with people as you get older. You want them to match you in multiple ways. You want them to share all of your interests. But that's not how friendship really works, and not how it develops. I like to focus on sense of humor, for example, but of course, even that is subjective. Finding the same thing funny and the ability to have humorous conversations is important to me in friendship. There's no real way to advertise for that, like you might for someone who plays pickleball. You can ask people what they find funny or if they're able to tell funny stories, but that's harder to really explain or achieve. A couple that were best friends with my husband went to college with the husband, you know, would we be friends today? It's hard to say. They don't have kids, they ride motorcycles, they like all the wrong sports teams, but we really love them and have the best time when we're together. How do you put that in a Facebook group request? Right, It's it's tough. Other things I look for in friends is I like to go out to dinner, But everyone would say they love food. Some people like holes in the wall, tat goos and gas stations, others like fancy prefixed meals, and I like both. Really, I like all of it all food. So it's tough and it's not obvious. A lot of people had good advice about dating. I'd love to hear what people say about making friends in adulthood. This comes up so often in my real life conversations, and I'd love to hear what my smart listeners have to say about it. If you've got thoughts, drop me an email. Carol Marcowitch Show at gmail dot com. It's k A R O L M A R K O W I c Z s h ow at gmail dot com. Coming up next, and interview with Bianca Dela Garza. Join us after the break.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Carol Marcowitz Show on iHeartRadio. My guest today is Bianca Dela Garza. Bianca is a ten time Emmy nominated award winning journalist and the host of Newsline and Newswire on Newsmax. And she's the author of a great new book incoming on the front lines of the Left's War on Truth, sold wherever books are sold.
Speaker 3: Hi, Bianca, so nice to have you on, Carol. So great to be with you. I'm such a fan of your podcast, so honored to be here with you.
Speaker 2: Very very mutual.
Speaker 3: I love coming on your show. So what is the war on truth? It's probably the most volatile period of American history and politics that has played out before our eyes in the past several months. And I believe the war on truth was really exposed after we saw the debate with Joe Biden, and I've had a front seat to sort of the unraveling of the media and the legacy media's big lie, and it exposed the potential of how far we could have gone as a nation. And you know how dangerous the game of deception is. And I as a journalist, I mean, my job and my only job is to bring truth and transparency to the people who are watching and listening. And I'm at the point now where we describe an incoming how this war is, whether our nation rises or falls.
Speaker 2: Do you think that they put Biden out on purpose and had him exposed as being not quite with it in order to get Kamala in or were they trying to cover it as long as possible.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, I don't think we'll ever really know the machinations of if there was this duplicity of that, and if it was that thought out and that deep. I think there's a possibility of that, but ultimately I don't even know if it matters, right because now we know the machine and it's not necessarily about having a leader, It's about having control and power so it's quite possible they did that, but they also caused all this chaos, all night uncertainty, and the end is for the greater good of people learning and waking up. I'm okay with that, but I'm not okay with people who sit in roles like I sit in every single day and actually deceive people for a living. And that's why I felt called to write this book because I've had a front row seat to all of it and the historic moments we've seen, Carol, I don't think it's like something out of a movie. You couldn't script what we just saw the past few months unfold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we are going to find out what happened. I think that if Kamala Harris loses the selection, we're going to have a deluge of books about what went down there. And I mean, whether or not it will be true is a separate story. I think lots of people will be taking credit for the things that went right and shifting the blame for things that went wrong. But I ultimately do think we're going to hear some stories about how it all went down.
Speaker 3: And we may and then you also have to question the source, right, like what is their reason are they getting in advance on a book tal to test We saw people go forward, you know, to testify in front of Congress and not be so truthful. So the motivations of people when they see sort of their fifteen minutes emerging in that window, it's really quite frightening. And I think, you know, where we have come though, is going to be you know, a revelation that you know, talking with you know podcasters, you know independent media, you know networks like Newsmax, which I'm really proud to be at that there there are real truth tellers out there, and we just have to continue to fight. And there's so many issues, you know, that have brought us to the brink of you know, real collapse here in America. It's gone so serious with the invasion at our southern border, with our economic policies, and I think that now is the time where people know we can't kind of just you know, drink the kool aid or listen to the elites and their ivory tower who are telling us who we need to vote for. So what would you.
Speaker 2: Say to people who just feel like the lies are everywhere and it's too much and they kind of tune everything out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so glad you asked that question. Yeah, I guess part of it. Why I wanted to write this book is to make it accessible, to make it not so overwhelming. I'm a mom. I have an eighteen year old daughter. So after living through the twenty twenty you know, election and COVID and understanding how the world can be a very frightening and chaotic place, especially through the minds of younger people. And I do worry about the next generation because sort of for us, you know, we can grasp things, but some of the realities of what we may see come to pass, depending on how this election goes, could be one way or the other. For the youth, I think that, you know, there are people who are like I don't want to listen because I don't want to have to be so stressed about things. But then I think it comes down to the grassroots. When you're a parent and you're sitting in a school board meeting, or you hear what your child's being taught at school and the books they're reading, then you are called to action. I can't tell when someone's reaction will be that moment where it all kind of switches, but I do hope and through the book where we talk about you know, the indoctrination, we talk about how woke is everywhere, and just sort of this movement that has become so radical and so fast that I think people are starting to grasp that even though it is overwhelming to think about it, it's now become you know, critical mass where they have to right.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. Even people who don't like politics, don't like hearing from politicians, don't like following the news. I think the last few years have really woken them up and they see that it all goes on whether or not they're paying attention. The great point about indoctrination. Obviously that's a topic that I'm very interested in, but the way that parents saw what their kids were learning in school, they realized they can't just sit it out anymore. They have to be involved. And I'm hoping you see that kind of shift happening in American society, Like do you think that more eyes have been open?
Speaker 3: And I think it's a return to just wanting normalcy. This administration has pushed, especially with gender mutilation, which they love to call gender affirming, so far. You know, in my book, I talk about you know how we have, you know, puberty blockers that caused green swelling in young girls. I'm a mother of a young girl. I you know, think at that point we start going, oh my gosh, these are drastic, radical things that not just alter our child, but you know the regrets people have of not being able to ever have children, Like what are we doing to society and the fabric of our moral compass? And it's come down I think to some you know, spiritual awakening. I really hope and pray that all the time that people are seeing that this is not so much about left or right. It's about our values as humans and whom we can be if we really do unify and come together. And I think some of the rhetoric coming out of the media on top of their lies and trying to sell this as something of you know, you're not accepting trans people, you're transphobic. When you cut through it, you sort of see this demonic evil, uh sinister, look at all that, And that I think is what people will finally push back on because it just doesn't feel good, Carol. It just feels wrong when you think about innocent young kids. Something about that triggers I think, you know, something innate in all of us that no, you don't go after innocent people, and you know, that's where I think there comes a point of no return. And we've also seen that at our border as well with some of the child trafficking that gets zero coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're absolutely right. I think you know, there were always people who identified as trans in society and nobody cared until they came for the kids. And it was that shift of like, now we're going to be focusing on children, and we saw such a spike and kids identifying as the opposite gender that we saw that something really serious was going on. And I think that you're right that it's the kids. They came after, these innocent kids, and that's what shifted the conversation on it. I'm surprised you have an eighteen year old. You look super young, So what advice you are to be kind of you?
Speaker 3: I know, I'm surprised to you. I don't know how fast time goes, but how does happen?
Speaker 1: Right, We'll have more coming up with Bianca de la Garza, But first, every twenty six seconds, violent crime takes place in the United States, and rising crime threatens families. That's why Saber Pepper projectile launchers should be your first choice. It's the only six to eight caliber launcher with seven projectile capacity, offering up to forty percent more shots than other brands for superior home defense. For nearly fifty years, Saber has been dedicated to making the world safer. Trusted by law enforcement and millions of families, Saber provides powerful, non lethal protection both at home and on the go for extra peace of mind. Saber Pepper sprays are ideal for on the goal of safety. I carry it myself, and Saber's door bars block up to six hundred and fifty pounds of force to keep intruders out. Visit Saber radio dot com or call eight four four eight two four s A F E to protect your family today. That's s A b r E Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: So a question I get asked a lot is how to raise kids in this kind of crazy world, this environment that they can't really question. A lot of things they you know, cancelations still happen. They could not go to college. I mean, my kids and I have a running joke of like, don't say this outside the house or you'll never go to college. And you know, so how do you do it with your daughter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a It's a great topic too, because I think we all wrestle with it and you want to impart great software but also straddle the line where you want them to have critical thinking and you want them to come to something and have some deductive reasoning and make their own decisions because you won't always be there, you know, next, and you want them to actually be able to have this wherewithal to navigate in the world and make really smart decisions. And one of the chapters I talk about the woe agenda. It's everywhere, and I actually open on my daughter's graduation day. We were sitting in Boston in the back Bay and I was celebrating her graduation from high school this spring, and the kids were talking about how we put it on the calendar. And one of the girls was telling one of my best friends, because her daughters were there, the girls of nine others since fourth grade, Oh, did you know that the calendar you put like she they so you're saying you're fluid because the Apple Eye calendar has that. So it was just sort of bizarre because we know that they have to be in situations they're going to be in school and they're going to be like, what gender are you? And some people will identify as this so that they really, like you said, for fear of them getting canceled. There's this pressure, yeah, a lot of pressure, and I don't I don't think there's an easy answer to this. So you can tell your kid speak your truth, always speak your truth, and that sort of will give you, you know, your conscience will be clear. But I also think there's something about having to understand diplomacy if you will, and you don't want your kids to be ostracized. So I think maybe playing it in a way where you don't have to ever compromise your morals. That's what I would instruct my daughter. You don't have to buy into it, but you also don't have to play and engage in the game. You know, you can sit back and you know you don't have to have an argument with everyone over this, you know. I think that's like part of being smart is knowing when to just say, you know, agree to disagree, or pass.
Speaker 2: You know. I hear that the kids all do land acknowledgments now in colleges. I feel like you just pass, not interested in doing that you know, you do whatever you want, and.
Speaker 3: Then it's high smuggle too, because then you're kind of above it all and you're not getting into it because I think so much of the left and the war is they want to drag you into this. They wanted to tige you into this race baiting, they want to drag you into these identity politics, right. And you know, at the end of the day, what I see from young people is there's this true caring in heart, and you know, they worry a lot about things that frankly, they need to worry about because this nation is in a very precarious place. As you know as well, Carol, what do you worry about nuclear proliferation?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a big one.
Speaker 3: You know, it's you know, worry is something you know obviously, I'm a very spiritual person, so I do know that, you know, worry and fear is not something that you know, the Bible or scripture tells us that, you know, God does not want us to worry or fear. Of course, I worry about my daughter's safety. She's living in New York. Now. I try to, you know, obviously check in with her quite a bit. I think that's just natural mother things. But personally, I don't really worry about so much of what will happen next. I don't worry about, you know, the politics or this nation. I have like this innate sort of sense of people are grasping where we are, and I feel like worrying is such a wasted emotion. Yeah, I really, I really want my time on this earth and this short life that we have to be giving, giving it all. Sort of why I entered journalism almost thirty years ago is to be the voice for the voiceless. So I guess if I were to worry about anything, and I wouldn't say it's a worry. I'm concerned that people are not getting the right information. I'm also concerned that people's voices who need to be heard are being silenced and censored. So if I can work any small part of what platform I've been given to do, that I'm doing my job. But I'm also, I think, doing what I've been called to do, and that's really that's really impactful for me as just a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so important. I mean, and you ease your own worry about, you know, the voice is not being heard by giving them space to be heard. I think it's great. What advice would you give your sixteen year old.
Speaker 3: Self, Listen to your mom?
Speaker 2: Has you good on.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's so hard, right when you're sixteen and you think you know it all. I was an only child. I grew up with a very strong mother who raised me and you know, it was all about education and working hard. She had a great work ethic, so I learned a lot from her. But she was also this glamorous flight attendant who is so worldly. And I write about her in the book and she's passed away sadly and I miss her so much, but her influence on me and she I grew up in a Catholic, you know, very Catholic household. She wanted to be a nun at one point, but my grandmother was like, no, you're not going to be a nun. Fortunately for me, she wasn't because I wouldn't be here count right, right, But she was so right about things, and you know, the wisdom that our mothers have. I think i'd tell my sixteen year old self, like, listen to your mom. She has good advice for you. She wants what's best for you. But we all have to, you know, chart our own course and be a little rebellious, and I, you know, I kind of see that a little with my daughter now, and she would have to race with that. But I wish I took her up on some of her really great offers because she used to meet really cool people on flights and she'd be like, why don't you go to New York and intern a ABC Sports this summer? And I was like, no, Mom, I'm too busy, Like what what was I thinking?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So she was always meeting really cool people on the planes and in the sky. And I write about my book interesting note too.
Speaker 2: Did she.
Speaker 3: You know? She just had this sort of giving nature, right, and she would be somewhere, would be out and she'd see somebody who was in uniform, and when we'd get the check, she'd say, please buy their check.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like an angel in my life, and you know, she still is with me. So I think my sixteen year old didn't know how great she had that counsel. But hopefully you know everything she taught me about being a great mom, now I'm trying to put it into action every day.
Speaker 2: Well, you picked up your mom's glamour, for sure, It's all about lighting and lipstick.
Speaker 3: It really is a little to make it, you know.
Speaker 2: That's that's really, that's really all that matters. I've loved this conversation and here with your best tip for my listeners on how they can improve their lives.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love this and I really do. I love your podcast. I love your conversations because it is always a value add You're not just you know, when you leave and listen to your conversations, I always kind of go, huh, it's interesting. I like the way that someone thought, or what you extract from somebody. You're fantastic. So I am. I'm going to be approaching forty nine and not look at I would say, I'm very my advice as I, you know, get older, I want to really increase longevity for me because health is wealth, it really is. I don't care what you have if you don't have your health. And I want to sound mind, and I want to be able to stay young for my daughter and for the future. I'm really very protective of my sleep and my physical activity because I think in our business and as you know, when we work and we're trying to manage our families, and I know it's hard and I know it's easier said than done. I remember when you have sleepless nights and you have babies. But I think the sleep things, the sleep piece, I've sort of solved, and that was really critical because I did morning news for a long time as well. I don't think I slept for seven years. So I manage my sleep and I try to get some physical activity, and I think those are two things that I think have created a little bit of in my life, at least a little more balance, especially with the stress, whether it be family stress, whether it be stress of covering you know, three hours news that I do a day. I think those are two things that anyone can apply to their life and they'll they'll feel a little bit better and maybe the balance in some way will help them, you know, whether it makes them makes them make better decisions, be calmer, you know, don't sweat the small stuff, because at the end of the day, stress is one of the worst things that we can have in my life.
Speaker 2: And it's all small stuff.
Speaker 3: So small stuff, right, even sleep and exercise. It sounds sleep and exercise, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sounds about right. She is Bianca Dilla Garza. Catch her on Newsmax by her New book incoming on the front lines of the left war on truth anywhere books are sold.
Speaker 3: Thanks Carol, Thanks.
Speaker 1: So much for joining us on the Carol Markowitz Show. Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.