Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 3: We were on.
Speaker 5: With Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Wednesday, July twenty six, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number eleven. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're alive from the twenty twenty three Cowboys training cop camp in Oxen, California, and we're ready for a new season here on the Break. We got some new things for you guys this season. We got a long step, a long time member of our team who is no longer on the Break staff. He will be branching off into his own show, Nick Eaton, starting up a new show called Cowboy Storyline. Check the website mobile app later today tomorrow, I think for his first episode of that show.
Speaker 2: But we've got joining our show one and only, mister Patrick.
Speaker 6: Walker, joining Brian, joining Amber, and we're now ready to get this thing rolling.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Patrick for joining us. We're excited to have you on the show.
Speaker 6: And let's go for those that haven't I guess followed your work, give us a little bit of a taste of, Yeah, a little taste of kind of where you've been and what you've been doing.
Speaker 2: Obviously, you on the B Show.
Speaker 6: And so now we've moved you up to Varsity time step up, but talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: I like your background and how long you've been covering this team.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, shouts out to Talking Cowboys and my guys over there, Kyle and Rob who's not with us, but Nick Harris and as Isaiah standback obviously, but prior to coming into the organization, covered the team for several years with CBS Sports, prior to that, twenty four to seven Sports and that entire outfit. And it's always been a pleasure of me to not only cover the team but be a lifelong fan of the team. So, for those that don't know about me, this tattoo right here that I got when I was in college, I'm.
Speaker 2: Quite literally a massive Cowboys fan.
Speaker 4: But the beauty of it is is being able to separate the science, as I call it, from the fandom, so I get to enjoy it on two different fronts when it's enjoyable. So and now I'm on the on this team when I go to say A or B, and I'm on this team with some heavy hitters, and I'm just looking forward to contributed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you what though, it's I know this is the first time I've I've known you a long time, long time, always respected your work from AFAR. A matter of fact, you and I've gotten some arguments before, corrected each other on stuff, and it's worked out great. Super excited about working with you as I always and I've won an award with that lady sitting to your left, and this is yeah, this guy that he'll direct you all the way you need to go. But I really do look forward to it to be a lot of really good conversation. I look forward to, like you know, the post game stuff, the breakdowns during the week, getting ready for the opponents. I think that fans of the break should be super excited about the lineup that Derek Eagleton has rolled out here today.
Speaker 3: Really great job, boss.
Speaker 6: Well, we'll see how it goes. I feel really good about this one. I think we got extited, to be honest with you, across all of our shows, I think we got some really really good fits. Adding John showed at the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I think that's a big right there.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and then obviously getting that brand new show with Nick. I think we got a lot of things in store for fans.
Speaker 2: I think fans are gonna enjoy it.
Speaker 6: I know, I know people don't like change. Just trust me on this and it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: We'll make it work. All right, let's jump in. Let's talk some Cowboys football.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about Trayvon Diggs and got paid yesterday the five year, ninety seven million dollar contract. Patrick, What are the I guess the details of the deal.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, it definitely was a pleasant surprise with the Cowboys having so many heavy hitters that they need to try to get on the contract for the long term. Talk about Ceedee Lamb, Trevon Diggs is one of those Michael Parsons's coming up as well, and now we have Zach Martin conversation. But to be able to lock up Treyvon Diggs five year extension which totals out to six years, because he's going into year four of his rookie deal with no fifth year option, second round pick, so it's ultimately a six year deal worth upwards of one hundred million dollars. Technically it's ninety seven, but you know, reports are that it could be up to a hundred or even one hundred and four million dollars. So it slots right into something that you said, Brian offline that hits perfectly. It's right in Stephen Jones' wheelhouse. It doesn't set the market, but it gets the player right where he needs to be. So there's that sweet spot that was struck, and now you have inarguably the best cornerback in this franchise's history since Dion Sanders at shouts out to Terrence Newman, who was a great cornerback, but he wasn't able to do with a guy like Diggs has done in the first three seasons. So Diggs has locked up five year extension upwards of one hundred million dollars. Bravo to both Digs, his agent, and the Cowboys organization for getting it done.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this was the one I felt like that was going to be really, really tough, and because I was thinking, okay, where you know, we have a history here with the Diggs brothers are outspoken, even to the point where where.
Speaker 3: We were talking about Madden numbers.
Speaker 8: Like you know, it's all it's trash, it's all that. And you're thinking, man, this is a competitive family, and you know, so you're thinking, like, well, without that fifth year option, really that safety net. I mean, there's they're talking about tags and all this thing kind of going through. But this was the one that I thought was going to be trouble for Steven Jones.
Speaker 3: Out of Pacific and those guys.
Speaker 8: But in fact, though, like you said, Patrick, this one was right in their wheelhouse because it didn't set the market. It wasn't the thing that blew everything away. It was a very it's very creative the way they used his current contract to add the extension and to even bring the number down even more.
Speaker 3: You know, it's don't look at look at this.
Speaker 8: Like a sixteen million dollar you know, and you're thinking, like, when you look at the top corners in the league, they're all making twenty one, twenty two million dollars a year. And to get him at the fifth spot with his ability, great job by the player getting it done, great job by the agent, and great job by the front office for making it all work together.
Speaker 9: So Amber Willills, I was gonna say, it feels really really good because that's one less thing to worry about at this time. Also, looking into this season, I know last year there were a lot of criticism people that would criticize Diggs for his level of play, how hard he would go and tackle those things that maybe alway, is he taking just care of himself to get that big contract or taking care of his body so he doesn't get injured. Now that's out of the question. He got the deal done. He's going to be here in Dallas for at least six more seasons for the Cowboys. So that's really good that we're starting off training camp knowing that he's locked in and ready to go.
Speaker 6: So what do you guys think is the most difficult contract they have left? You got Ceedee Lamb coming up, you got Michah Parsons, you got Dak coming up, and you got Zack Martin coming up. And we'll talk a little bit later on the show about Zach and what all's going on with him. But you look at those big contracts. Obviously, Terrence Steele not as big a contracts. I'm really focused more on those really big deals that could be like market setting type deals, which you think is going to be the most difficult of those four.
Speaker 4: I'm going right to Michael Parsons. When it comes time to start talking to Michael Parson's contract, it gets more complex because is he truly a linebacker or is he truly a edge rusher off of the line, Because that's my answer, He's an edge rusher.
Speaker 2: The stats bear that out as well.
Speaker 4: So that's gonna make for a more robust and complex conversation between Micah and his agent and the Cowboys front office.
Speaker 2: And as we all.
Speaker 4: Know, there's a very large chasm between linebacker money top defensive end money.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's going to be Michael Parsons.
Speaker 8: I kind of feel like this one with Dak Prescott's not getting any easier. Yeah, you know, with what we've seen with with Herbert and then and then my guy Joe Burrow at Cincinnati is going to sign a massive deal too. And I give Dak Prescott credit for one thing. He's played this the right way. He really has. If you look at how he had to deal with the tag situations, the things that they had to do to kind of make sure that they got the contract done.
Speaker 3: You know, his.
Speaker 8: Agent, Todd Frantz, has not made it easy on but that's his job. His job's not to make it easy. And the guys that do the cap here they know that, they know that with all these contracts. I love what you're talking about with Parsons, you know, because Parsons has a legitimate, you know, legitimate point about his defensive ability. When you start to talk about the great defensive players around the league, his name always gets mentioned. It doesn't take long to call the role, you know, with his group, and so I think that could be tough. But as long as these quarterback numbers keep inching up, then all of a sudden, Dak Prescott's you know, Dak Prescott's learned how to play the short game here. You know, He's like, I'm not interested in your long term stuff.
Speaker 3: Give me let me.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 8: It's almost like, you know, it's almost like Lebron James and his one year deals where he just keeps getting a bite at the apple every time.
Speaker 3: But you know, that season ends.
Speaker 8: So I think that's the one that's going to be because I don't think they're gonna give I don't think there's gonna be any discounts on this one.
Speaker 3: I really don't real quick.
Speaker 2: On that note.
Speaker 6: You think back to when they were negotiating Dak's deal, and even like the year before that, we were talking numbers in the thirties. We were talking thirty five, thirty sixty seven. Now you've got a number of quarterbacks who've already pushed over fifty. It has made a I think a massive jump, probably more than any other position in the mouth that the best players at the position are now being paid with all these contracts and they still got burrow to do.
Speaker 7: Where's Burrow gonna end up? So, yeah, you're right, just the numbers alone own.
Speaker 6: Of what what's going to make it a little more difficult to get Dak done.
Speaker 8: Yeah, as the quarterbacks are walking by, the running backs going oh, excuse me.
Speaker 3: Excuse me.
Speaker 8: You know, it's it's kind of like it's kind of it's kind of are you checking at the airlines?
Speaker 2: You in group three?
Speaker 3: Are three? No, you're not? Okaya? Group three? Group three?
Speaker 2: Step back.
Speaker 8: The quarterbacks are all doing in group one, and those running backs are sitting in group nine.
Speaker 2: Right now, where we go with the you.
Speaker 9: Know, it's just insane going back to Bryan's point about this short uh term the Yes, it's just crazy to me that we're sitting here talking about Dak's contract again again when it feels like it was yesterday thought we were discussing his contract with the cow was so. But it seems to me that based on everything we've heard from the Cowboys and Jerry Johones, Stephen, Mike McCarthy as well, their level of commitment with Dak is there, like it absolutely they're backing him up and there they have shown to be full all in with Dak. So I think that don't figure out a way to get that one done. But I would say I'm with uh Patrick on this one as far as Micah Parsons, just being a lot more complex and giving Micah's personality, not saying, you know, I don't know Micah's agent, I don't know how he is or anything. But based on personalities and how these guys are, I think Micah's seems that it's gonna be a lot more of a headache and getting it done.
Speaker 7: All right, We're gonna take our first break, could you see?
Speaker 3: Real quick? Though, Mike is so outspoken that you know you're gonna.
Speaker 8: Hear a lot of I mean, yeah, it'll be one of those things where like you know, the guys over here in the cap and with the cot with the front off his guys, they keep everything buttoned down. They really do keep it all buttoned down, and they believe in the back and forth.
Speaker 3: But it has to be that.
Speaker 8: But with Micah, it's going to be there's gonna be words You're probably gonna hear.
Speaker 3: Initially that you're like, whoa, wait a minute, and then get ready.
Speaker 8: Like we were talking about early in our pre show meeting, it could be like Beyonce the Beehive, you know, you know, if the fan base will come on front office, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: You know, and then attack.
Speaker 2: Let's just be clear.
Speaker 6: I don't think there's any way that the Cowboys will lose Michael Parsons.
Speaker 3: They'll figure it out.
Speaker 6: That's the thing I've never in the years I've been with the team, I've never seen a player that they truly wanted that they ultimately didn't end up getting. You can make an argument maybe for Gregory because of the way that played out, but the fact of the matter is I very rarely have seen them in situations if they want a player and By the way, if they want to play really bad, I've never seen them losing player they want really bad. Because, by the way, you can always pay the amount of money that can get the deal done or figure out the way to get it.
Speaker 2: And this is a young generational talent.
Speaker 4: You're gonna figure out a way to get it done, be it restructures on contracts to create the cap, whether it be letting a couple guys at the bottom of the Rouster goal, you're gonna you're gonna make it done.
Speaker 2: Oh, make sure it gets done for my.
Speaker 3: All furnace to the Cowboys real quick. Though. On the Randy Gregory thing, and I love Randy Gregor, I really do.
Speaker 8: I feel like his agent pushed that deal. I think Randy really wanted to be here, and I think the Cowboys felt like that they had a deal done. You know, the agent's you know Colorado Bay, so you know, it works out for him and good for Randy.
Speaker 3: He got paid and.
Speaker 6: He got paid, and by the way, it worked out for the Cowboys too, So I think everybody got kind of what they needed with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, that what you would say. And now guys get to go and get Sam Wood to breakouts, so it worked out forever.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, were gonna take our first break. We're gonna come back.
Speaker 6: I got a little game for you guys in the mode of Brian brought us in his games. We'll play a little Agreed, disagree. We'll talk about that when we come back. Dallas, Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking app.
Speaker 12: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 4: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 3: It is only available in the English language.
Speaker 12: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app.
Speaker 2: Only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 12: Message dat rates may apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equip cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Hey, Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party, Bring yokiero guacamole and be the game. Day. Hero, Yo Kiero means I want and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices, it will be the star of any party. You can find this at your local Albertson's or tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero, Guacamole.
Speaker 8: Back to the Break, Dallas Cowboys Training Camp twenty twenty three is here, brought to you by American Airlines. Watch the team practice on selected days from today to August fifteenth in sunny Oxnard, California. The emission is free. For more information, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Training Camp.
Speaker 7: Make sure you come out and check that out. We're alive.
Speaker 6: In the second segment of the break, we're at twenty twenty three Cowboys Training Camp, present by American Airlines. This segment of the show brought to you by blockchain dot com ding.
Speaker 7: You heard the ding, of course from our producer Chris Beam.
Speaker 2: All right, here's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 6: I got a little game for you guys called agreed, disagree, disagree.
Speaker 2: I got four statements.
Speaker 6: There were four statements yesterday in the opening press conference from Jerry Jones that I'm gonna throw at you guys, and I want.
Speaker 7: You to tell me if you agree with them or you disagree.
Speaker 3: With them, that the break Show should be paid more than anybody. I agree, I agree.
Speaker 4: Now let's go for it, all right, So here we go.
Speaker 6: First one, When asked about the team as a possible contender, Jerry responds, we have a team that can compete for the top spot.
Speaker 2: Agree, disagree, Agree.
Speaker 3: Agree agree?
Speaker 2: Wow all agree?
Speaker 3: Okay, I agree?
Speaker 2: Would you not?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: But I did. I expect that.
Speaker 6: I expect that some people probably raise their eyebrows, like okay, here we go again, because you know, the national narrative is always okay.
Speaker 7: It's kind of like texta my Texas team, like we're back.
Speaker 6: Like people love to jump on the bandwagon when they think that the team is good. I agree with you, I know, but I expect there may be some raised eyebrows.
Speaker 9: All the concerns I had I feel like the Cowboys have addressed this offseason, except for two parts.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 9: I am still kind of concerned in a combination of online running backs, so just a running running game overall, there's a question mark there for me. And then the other part is kicker, I think we're once again in this That's the one part where once again I feel like on the same boat as last year as far as like they haven't really brought much competition or they're just kind of done the same thing as they did last year. So those are my two concerned But in all, looking at the team as a whole, I just I feel like they do have everything they need to be capable of competing and getting to that next level.
Speaker 2: So I'll address it in two parts.
Speaker 4: One, I understand the narrative, but I will say it's it's markedly different than the back end of the Jason Garrett era. When you hear Jerry Jones say I think we can be a contender, then you could kind of sit back and say, come on, something major's gotta be shaken up. But if you look at the McCarthy era, and you look at these past two seasons in particular twelve and five year in the playoffs, twelve and five year in the second round of the playoffs, the progression is there, the building is there? The defense we were talking about it yesterday. It's wild. Just two or three years ago we were leaning on the offense. Yeah, now the Cowboys are We're asking should they lean on the defense. Defense is set and it's gotten better on paper. Offensively, you go on, you make moves, Brandon with just the counterpart trade with Stefan Gilmore. So, Yeah, you still have question marks offensive line, running back room kicker is a big one for me. But if you sit back and you look at the totality of it, there's no reason this team should not be mentioned in the same breath as the Eagles and the forty nine ers as far as the top the NFC.
Speaker 8: That's the reason why right there, while they have a chant because all of a sudden, they're look with all the quarterbacks are, all the quarterbacks are in the AFC.
Speaker 3: This conference is for the taking.
Speaker 8: You know, you feel good about Yes, you match up, you know easily when you go to Philadelphia or they come to at and T.
Speaker 3: You kind of.
Speaker 8: Feel like, okay, rosters matchup depending on how the quarterbacks play, could be could be a turnover one way or another that decides this game, or one team just gets steamrolled.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: With the Eagles, you kind of have that feeling that you could beat them on any given day. Forty nine ers not so much. But see when Aaron Rodgers leaves this conference, it goes you know, and I'm thinking about what you have to go through. We'll see what's up in Detroit, you know, we'll see what's up with them, We'll see what's up with the Commanders and the Giants and all these other teams in the division as well.
Speaker 3: But the conference is for the.
Speaker 8: Taking because the team's potentially that you have to deal with. It's not like dealing with things going on in the AFC.
Speaker 7: All right, Next question, our next statement.
Speaker 6: When asked about Tony Pollard and his contract situation running backs, Jerry responded, the franchise tag fit that situation very well.
Speaker 2: Agreed, disagree, agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 8: But the thing about it, it's the fact I thought Stephen Jones was quick to mention that they did try and offer him a long term deal.
Speaker 2: He had to put that out there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he let it be known that wait a minute, now, we we we're okay with the franchise tag, but we tried to offer a long term deal here and he decided.
Speaker 2: And mentioned as well a long time and I think that.
Speaker 3: We might be in a similar path here.
Speaker 8: I think we might be in a similar path to where and we'll see what happens with this running back stuff for these guys has.
Speaker 3: Been very, very difficult.
Speaker 8: And I had the question of has analytics ruined the running back? You know, has analytics all these departments now though, these analytics guys and gals, and they're.
Speaker 3: All saying throw it, throw it, throw it, and me.
Speaker 8: Old krusty guy, is like, I'm from an era of run it, run it, you know, I'm from that era and I still think there's importance with the running backs. But I think it fit the Cowboys. And how quickly Pollard signed the tag told you'd fit him right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And for me it's it's twofold number one. The running back market is so depressed that it's actually depressing to look at. But from the Cowboys aspect. In Tony Pollard's aspect, Pollard is coming off of a rookie contract in which he was not the number one guy.
Speaker 2: It was Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 4: So the Cowboys have yet to see Tony Pollard as the definitive number one guy. So, yes, they offered him a long term deal, but I could understand their comfort and saying, you know, if you want us to up the money.
Speaker 2: Here's your true prove it season.
Speaker 4: So you could argue last year was kind of a prove it season, but here it is right here, and I mean at ten point one million dollars.
Speaker 2: You know, how can you go wrong when it comes to the salary cup.
Speaker 9: Well, not only that the fact that he hasn't been the number one running back yet completely, but also the whole injury thing. And I know, I'm no doctor, I'm not in there. I don't know how he is physically and all that, and what we've seen so far he looks good. But I'm always hesitating, like to give someone a long term deal or you know, even.
Speaker 3: If it's just two three years coming.
Speaker 9: It's just something that you just haven't seen it. You just haven't seen him full go just yet. And I mean they feel confident about him being the guy for this year, but there's still a lot of question marks there that we haven't just we haven't seen just yet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have to say this. I've been waiting all off season to say this. This whole thing with running backs. This is basic economics. Like the first class I took at Texas, it was an economics class, and I remember them talking specifically one day about the fact that when supply increases, that drives down price. That's all that's happening here is you have a number of running backs that are coming into the league, and what teams have realized is that they're plentiful.
Speaker 2: There are lots of them.
Speaker 6: And by the way, what you get the production you get from a seventh eighth year veteran running back and what you get.
Speaker 3: From a rookie running back right now, but.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, and what you get from a rookie running back is not terribly different. And so when you have a large amount of supply and they're pretty comparable, what ends up happening is price goes down. The cost of getting one is cheaper. And so that's all that's happening.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: The other thing you gotta remember is this also can flip too, because sometimes when you drive that price down, what ends up happening is supply also goes down. What starts happening is kids in little league, in middle school ball and high school ball, Dad saying, hey, son, we're not gonna play running back. We're gonna play wide receiver. You'll think me right, We're gonna play linebacker. You'll thank me later. And what ends up happening is now you have a less kids wanting to play that position, and you have a less supply. The most talented athletes are not going to running back anymore. They're going to other positions, and then it's driving that price back up because it's harder to find a good But this is all cyclical, it's all economics.
Speaker 2: This is all economics.
Speaker 4: That's economics is cyclical because you know, not so long ago, it was a league that was so quarterback driven, so past offense driven, that felt that any team would take a running back in the top ten, top five. But then here comes Ezekiel Elliott, Derek Henry, Christian McCaffrey, Leonard Fournette, and then the running backs were the stars there, John Robinson, they were the star of the show. And b Jon kind of broke ranking. As we're talking about the press RB market. But in that stretch of time it cycled back to running backs being valuable, and now their their market is depressed. But inevitably, as.
Speaker 7: Economics goes, for one reason or another.
Speaker 2: It's going.
Speaker 4: I believe it'll get back to them, but just right now, it's got to be figured out.
Speaker 3: The running back.
Speaker 8: Okay, we always talked about, oh you could take a third or fourth or fifth round guy. Maybe the stupid scouts missed these running backs instead of them being fifth, sixth, seventh round running backs like the Pacheco in Kansas City, maybe he should have been taken in the second round. You know, maybe I know it's all you could just you could plug anybody in and all that. Maybe there's been some misevaluation about the running back position that all of a sudden these guys show up or they're in a small school that the colleges didn't you know, didn't recruit the right kid, and all of a sudden he ends up at Directional Louisiana School instead of ending up at LSU or.
Speaker 3: Someplace like that. Yeah, So, to me, like the talent for and the need for running backs are still there.
Speaker 8: I think the evaluation of the running back and just to say, oh you could take them or get them anywhere, I think there's been a lot of misevaluation of how good these guys were.
Speaker 4: That's actually the biggest problem is is like you're saying everyone, in my opinion, needs to stop lumping all running backs into one bucket and saying I can just pick from this bucket whenever I want and get the same or similar production. That's not always the case. I've always been a champion enough hashtag run matter. But in that being said, I also state that not all running backs are the same as the other running backs, right. Not every running back coming out of college is capable as b John Robinson, Ezekiel Elliott, Dereck Henry. You're gonna have some guys that are capable, but they're true fourth, fifth, sixth round guys, and I think the conversation needs to be let's stop assuming that a guy who justifiably is a sixth round flyer can step in and do the production as a Dereck Henry. When that conversation becomes more rightful and more justifiable, then I think things will start to turn.
Speaker 8: You watching Christian McCaffrey play when the teams know how to use him, Yeah, you know, when they throw him the ball in the swing and the screens and stuff. Like I told I told the running back coach here, I said, listen, hey, you figure out how to run a screen game for this football team. I'll throw a parade for you in downtown Dallas. You know, I can't tell you the last time they threw the ball the running back. If you find these some of these coordinators find ways to get these guys going to where all of a sudden's like, okay, I see the value here.
Speaker 3: I see the matchup values here, you know, and I you know, I think it's I find it's wrong, and it's the position is devalued. I really do.
Speaker 8: Kansas City won the Super Bowl because what they could do Mahomes wasn't great. All of a sudden, what did they start doing. They started running the football in the second half. They blocked Philadelphia up front and were able to kill that game running it.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: So to me, I kind of feel like there is value for that. I live that.
Speaker 8: I lived that working for the Packers and watching EMMITTT. Smith then build a lead in those games and just hammer the ball at us and we couldn't stop them. You know, there's value in that destroying somebody's will to compete, and running backs do that.
Speaker 6: In my opinion, yeah, no, I think everyone agrees with the value of what they are, and what I mean by that is what they bring to the game. But the point is that most teams a starting most teams are starting to realize that you can just get one for cheaper. Because I thought it was interesting when you said, you know, there may be a misevaluation of player.
Speaker 7: Here's what I would ask you. One of the things I've always wondered is it's.
Speaker 3: Not a lot well, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: From the standpoint of where I sit, where you know, playing fantasy football is not obviously how it works there. But in fantasy football, when you look at a draft, the way you think about it is it's not necessarily where the player deserves to go, it's where can I get the player.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 6: So there might be a player who is worthy of being a second round pick, right, but I know in my draft I can get him in.
Speaker 2: The fourth round. Then I'm gonna put him in the fourth round.
Speaker 6: So I think for the running backs, I don't know that I necessarily think it's a misevaluation as much as teams are starting to realize because everybody else has devalued the PI position to some degree, I can get a guy that maybe has talent to be a first second third rounder. I can maybe get him in the fourth round. I can maybe get him in the fifth round, because that's where everybody would normally take them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And to me though, I.
Speaker 8: Were when we were on the draft show leading up to the draft and we kept talking about Bjon Robinson and like, well, he could go with seven, he could go at ten, he could go at twenty six, he could go with thirty two.
Speaker 2: And he's very talented.
Speaker 8: And it was ridiculous to me when they started talking about that Dallas could probably get him, you know, it was ridiculous. I go, this is one of the best football players regardless of position in the country, you know. And where he went to Atlanta. I was like, there you go, that's where he should have gone. And so to me that makes sense. But I think where people have problems is where how much these running.
Speaker 3: Backs get paid. You know, what are you getting for fifteen million dollars? So what are you getting for twelve million dollars?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. And this is my final point on the matter.
Speaker 4: If you're a team that's, you know, trying to figure out your offensive line, then you better have your running back position figure it out or you can't. You can't be trying to figure out both of those things at the same time. So if you if your O line is is in flux, you would like to hope that you have your running back situation set up. If your running back position is in flux, you would like to hope you got your oil situation set up.
Speaker 6: All right, We're gonna take our final break and come back. I got a couple more thoughts for you guys, and we'll see if you agree disagree, We'll do that when we come back.
Speaker 2: Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Tod thought it would be secure to jog and the cheats. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details once he used.
Speaker 12: The Cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 10: The sid Gig has your back no matter what kind you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a don't really care fan, Oh we got him next time fan, or we'll never win again fan. I here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The seat Geek not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So, whether you're a here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan, the seat Geek as you covered, download the seat Geek ap today.
Speaker 5: Seat Geek your ticket a great seats.
Speaker 14: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you, dear doctor?
Speaker 1: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 14: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the soldier to cry out? Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 14: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 2: Back to the Break.
Speaker 8: The official twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp Preview is now available. This year's edition features scouting reports, position analysis, a pullout schedule poster, and articles from your favorite Dallas Cowboy writers. Get your Training Camp preview today at Dallascowboys dot com slash Star.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to the final segment of The Break, live from Oxen Art, California. Mentioning that Star magazine this is I love this thing because heading into training camp, I spent a few weeks like going through this every day, just familiarizing myself with all the names, all the players, all the different things you gotta know when you get it ready to do a show.
Speaker 2: I think for a fan this is invaluable.
Speaker 6: If you are a big Cowboys fan, you need this thing because it does allow you to just kind of know where we are, know where we set the table for this upcoming season as we enter training camp.
Speaker 2: So make sure go.
Speaker 3: I check it out.
Speaker 9: Just because I've made a post on my Instagram about it and I got so so many people asking me about the schedule poster that we see something normal, we just pull it out and put it all over. But it's crazy the amount of people that actually want to.
Speaker 2: Have this poster.
Speaker 9: It's really cool to you just pull it out of the magazine, put it somewhere and you just can follow the whole schedule.
Speaker 8: And is that it used to be in your desk where you had it up and then there was a bad loss and you wrote something yours were or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, outside game, like you write the score.
Speaker 3: Like win win win, and then like it'd be a loss and then you would write some curse word about the game.
Speaker 2: But you know something. You go through our office and you'll go through the desk.
Speaker 6: You can count the number of desks that had this up like I about everybody puts it up.
Speaker 8: It's such a quick it's such a quick reference and losses down. And she would she'd write curse words in Spanish after a bad game.
Speaker 4: Well, I have an X over the preseason games OS and it's is I d C because I don't care about.
Speaker 2: About everybody stay healthy? Question everybody stay healthy.
Speaker 6: I got two more comments from you guys from the opening press conference.
Speaker 2: We're asking you if you agree or disagree.
Speaker 6: When ask about Mike McCarthy taking over the offense, Jerry responded, it's not about what Kellen wasn't, but about what Mike is.
Speaker 2: You agree or disagree?
Speaker 9: That's a that's an interesting one because I have mixed feeling about it. One I haven't fully seen, or I don't think we have in this team. Obviously, we haven't fully seen Mike McCarthy calling the place and taking.
Speaker 3: Over that role.
Speaker 9: I thought Kellen Moore this pied the areas where he lacked. I think overall, he started his career very very good, and he took the Cowboys to another level. He elevated the Cowboys offense. And it's shown by proof that there were in many areas the number one in the league, but there were still they didn't get to where they needed There were a lot of areas that needed improvement overall. Going back to that time, I still have problems with thinking that despite you having different ideas and not wanting to butt heads with your offensive coordinator, I still think there were times that you as a head coach, and we don't know this fully, but that I think maybe he should have taken over, Maybe he should have intervened because there goes that season. That season is gone, and we thought at the time the Coways had a shot. I think the last few years we thought the Cowboys have had a shot.
Speaker 3: And so I don't know.
Speaker 9: I'm curious to see how well McCarthy does. I think he came to training camp in really really good spirits. You guys know, well, you know, Derek and I've talked about this on the show before. I'm super about vibes and energy and all that body language. I like to observe those things, and McCarthy came out here with his energy on point. He got out of out of that plane for hoppy gaming thumbs up. So I'm excited to just see him take over that role. But I mean that's a great way for Jerry to put it, because what else can you say about that you appreciate what Kellen did for you, but also now you're turning the page and giving McCarthy the chance.
Speaker 4: I agree with that that part of the statement from Jerry, and and because I'm on record as saying I believe that Kellen Moore was underrated by most of the fan base. I think Kellen Moore was a very very capable offensive coordinator. But two things can be true at the same time. And the other side of that truth is Kellen Moore's tendencies often got in his way of what might have been a better situational play called talk about how the game winning Green Bay, talk about how the game winning Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: When you have a lead like that, you kind.
Speaker 4: Of want to start going to old school, maybe get that run, run the ball in, work the clock. But with Kellen Moore's exit to Los Angeles, now we're not only going to see Mike McCarthy, who is in fantastic sperience. He said himself, he's having fun. He's on the plays again. But the question now is he's going into year four of what's reportedly a five year contract it's time for the Cowboys to see if there's an evolved Mike McCarthy as a play caller, as this is a pivotal season for this offense, Mike McCarthy his staff, So now you have these changes. So I do agree that it's about time to find out what version of Mike McCarthy exists now and if it's the version that is going to be able to mix that old school style with some of these analytics, these new guys like John Park that he's bringing in, what does that look like?
Speaker 2: And I think the Cowboys are on a good role right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I feel like in the last couple of years you were first in points and fourth in points under Kelln Moore. There's some things that Kellen Moore was really really good at. I think the Green Bay game was when Mike McCarthy had enough. I think that game right there, he had circled that game is I'm gonna go back to lambeau Field.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna win this team. He had this game and grasp he had it right there.
Speaker 8: In his hand, that postcam press I was and at that point in time when that happened, that's when I think he said no I've got to do something.
Speaker 3: And to Ambar's point, you know, maybe there needed to be more of that.
Speaker 8: And again, I'm not acting like I was on the headset, but the head coach does have the ability to click over and say, hey, listen, man, I'm gonna go for here and four down. You got two plays to get this thing in there, you know, or hey, you need to run this ball more. We can't be in this situation. We got to find a way to burn some of this clock. You're responsible for doing that. Well, now he's just taking that away from Kellen Moore instead of clicking over and talking to an offensive coordinator, you know, up in the box, probably Brian Schottenheimer's gonna remind him, Hey, Mike, get to this if you can't. This is what they're showing us. Get to this if you can't. And so maybe that it's just a matter of him getting back in the rhythm.
Speaker 3: As a play caller.
Speaker 8: But it's interesting because if you go back and look at Green Bay stuff, you know how much movement. Everybody's always freaking out about movement and motion and deceptives and all that stuffs, And so everybody sees that, and then you come from a pro grim and Green Bay, where Aaron Rodgers was like, give me the static offense. I just want to read this myself. I don't need you moving guys around. So it'll be interesting to see. Brian Schoenheimer talked about thirty about seventy percent of the offense could remain the same. The thirty percent, to me is what I was talking about the screen game or in the running game, and how not to get shut down in the second half of the football season if you go back and study, and a lot of it had to do with what happened there at right tackle, you know, and Tyre and Tyron Smith having to move around. But Mike is a play caller. It's gonna I think they're gonna have to come out of the gate early, and he's gonna have to find a rhythm.
Speaker 3: They can't be like kind of.
Speaker 8: Feeling their way and being three and three to start the season and everybody going, well, is this thing gonna really work?
Speaker 3: He's putting a lot of pressure on himself now calling these plays.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think the thing that Cheff to note, I know you noticed the number of points that the Cowboys scored over the last two years. I think The interesting thing is there were games though, where the offense just seemed to sputter, and I think those are the times when that's where, yeah, that's that's where game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Tampa game, you couldn't have drawn that up any better for Kellen wore and these Cowboys the way that win. But then the San Francisco games is it are teams that you play that have really good front's, physical fronts going to give you problems, right, and how do you work out of how do you work And I think that's the thirty percent of the office exactly they're trying to figure.
Speaker 6: Out right, right, because by the way, at this point, when you're twelve and five back to back seasons, you're not trying to make seismic changes. You're looking for those little tweaks weeks, and that's where I think, you know, for Mike McCarthy, he's like, yeah, Kellen Moore could be really great. And let's also remember, I think this gets lost in it. This was a situation where the Cowboys are like, you gotta go, Kellen. This was a mutual parting of ways. Oh, Kellen every bit wanted to go to San Diego, as maybe the Cowboys wanted to to move to Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: So I don't think it was just a hey, get out of the door.
Speaker 3: There was not a firing here.
Speaker 2: This exactly.
Speaker 8: This was like he probably felt like after the Green Bay game, coaches have been around him, they closed their door, they get on the phone, they talk to the buddies around the league, and you know, they were having struggles in Los Angeles. Joe Lombardi wasn't doing a good enough job. They weren't get in the development. So it made it really easy for Kellen Wore to find a soft landing spot.
Speaker 6: Right, all right, let's move on. We got one final statement that I have for you guys. We don't have one minute, but I think this one could take a little while. We can always carry over to the next show. Here's a statement. When asked about the Kicker situation, Jared responded, I think we've got in camp.
Speaker 3: What can be the answer?
Speaker 2: Agree? Disagree? Let's go ahead disagree and again, so you guys, you don't believe that Viscayano is the answer. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't have the body of work in front of me to be able to agree. Now, viscay Aino or Brandon Aubrey. They could come in and they could knock it out the park, and I hope one of them do. But until I see that. You look at Aubrey's work, former soccer player and now he's a kicker, former USFL. You look at Tris Guyano. This is not his first attempt at sticking with an NFL team, let alone the Cowboys. I just I don't have enough evidence to say I agree, and the lack of evidence leads me to disagree until further.
Speaker 8: I know one thing I asked for at my gang of seven, my pro personnel guys and gals around the league, and I asked about Aubrey and my one of my guys and this is a team that needs a kicker that I asked and he says he was really good in Birmingham, Smooth, accurate, poised, good at kickoffs as well, kickoffs as well, her very good person and a wiring for the position as well. Which so that to me the mental part, because the mental part out here will be the key because every time it used to be you stand out here and when they do the kicking stuff, everybody would.
Speaker 3: Stand around and just kind of talk to each other.
Speaker 8: Now everybody is watching everybody's charting and the wind coming over the top of these trees, and we got these new structures around. They'll be there'll be some there'll be some days where these kickers might not look great and other days where we're like, oh, maybe this is the right.
Speaker 9: Guy and this is not gonna happen. But I'm like, can we have just like four kickers and have a true.
Speaker 2: Tried to get a third?
Speaker 7: It's just I think that's what led to I think we've got in camp what may be the answer?
Speaker 2: Well, they said that last year, though, but he also said all options are open.
Speaker 8: True, So they thought they had two kickers last year, and it sure didn't go that way.
Speaker 6: All right, we appreciate you guys joining us for our maiden voyage of this new version of Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Break Patrick, nice job. Nice job to our normal our.
Speaker 2: Normal crew here. We're ready to get into this season. We got a lot let me speak, you talk too much.
Speaker 7: Well, that's where you're gonna have to just like this, just elbow your way.
Speaker 3: Jerry Mattelone, teach you anything in there.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you guys join us. We'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, we'll be back Friday for our next edition of The Break Till the End for Brian brought us Patrick Walker, Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 2: This has been a
Speaker 12: Production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.