Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news you haven't heard. Thank you so much for speaking to Bloomberg. Now. You've been quite direct and suggesting that the BOE may cut rates more sharply though the markets are expecting. Is that because you're worried that markets won't be prepared for what's to come. No.
Speaker 2: I think our forecasts are conditional on a number of things. But one of the things that obviously our condition on is we use the market curve to set them up. So I think it's important that we know if we find the forecast with the market curve produces the best judgment, which has inflation below targets or above target, but not to target at the at the sort of horizon we say, so we say this is where we got to best collective judgment. Is that now it follows I think that this is a comment I made earlier that what we're saying is if and if it is of course critical here if the world evolves as you know that that forecast suggests it was, well, probably the case would be there for a less restrictive path of policy is conditional.
Speaker 1: Everything is conditional. Is June and live meeting, all meetings alive, So is June likely that's a different question.
Speaker 2: I think the key points I would make is that we have changed our view on the likely persistence of inflation on the second round effects, and it's good news. We think that we think there's there's evidence there to suggests they will be less pronounced than we thought they would be. But that's a judgment. And for me, I'm now looking at particularly streaking indicators services, inflation, pay, and the quantity side of the labor market to really judge this persistence question, how it will.
Speaker 1: Evolve the governor. Because you were up quite upfront about market expectations, does that come from Ben Bernanke's review that you will talk more about the more is to indicate more to the markets. Also, what you're doing next, Well, we're not.
Speaker 2: Going to We're not going to implement the monanky review piecemeal, so we was going to spend a few months really sort of thinking quite hard about what we do. And he raised the conditioning assumptions as a point. Actually, and this question which I think all central banks wrestle with in various ways, which is how do you actually sort of represent a future profile of rates to set up your judgment without sort of getting yourself into position where you absolutely nailed on, as it were, for a view of rates two years out, which of course is just not realistic to commit to.
Speaker 1: But can we expect more market commentary from you going.
Speaker 2: Forward, Well, we had a particular I think we're in a particular situation at the moment. I've said before it's a high bar I think for us to sort of come out and comment extensively. But I think the point we had and we made, we've made today and I think we have to make is look quite a lot of them. When we do the analysis, quite a lot of the market movement of like appears to have been us in a sense originated. Now that there's always some of that, of course, but it seems to be more of it. And yet our analysis would be that inflation dynamics here are different the inflation dynamics in the US in a very different sort of situation in terms of our economies. So there's a tension in there, and I think that's the point we have to point out.
Speaker 1: But this is basically because the FED maybe over promised the cards in December and then couldn't deliver in terms of two percent.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'm not criticizing the phone in any sense or judging the FED. I think the US economy has evolved. I mean that's the that's the fact. I mean, that's how it's evolved. So I think the way it's evolved has been, if anything, to sort of put in a slightly starker relief the difference of inflation dynamics.
Speaker 1: Governor, are you worried about the second round effects of a cheaper pound, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean the exchange rate hasn't moved sharply. Frankly, it's moved a bit, and of course you'd expect that because it's a relative price. So those points I make about different inflation dynamics, so you'd expect somebody hasn't been sharpie. So no, I'm not. We watch it very carefully, but it's not something that I think. And by the way, as we said and as we always do in setting up our commentary on the conditioning assumptions, this time, actually the exchange Act hasn't moved that much.
Speaker 1: Governor, that there is an assumption looking at history that once you continue cutting, now, without pre judging what you'll do, can you give us an idea of how you see the cycle different to Well.
Speaker 2: One thing I would say about this, which is sort of quite interesting, and it's something that we looked at during US around. It's quite interesting in the history of the NPC that most of the cutting cycles, cycles and inverted commas have actually been prompted by some sort of shock or other rather than being what I might call a natural cyclical sort of we've reached the top and now we go down the restrictiveness curve. So we don't have a lot of I mean, I would just caution there isn't a lot of sort of history, Realtor.
Speaker 1: So what you're telling us is because you're not cut in a recession, it could it could actually be one and done.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that would be unusual. But I would say, you know, I said earlier, nothing's settled that there are no fetter companies, nothing's ruled out.
Speaker 1: Governor, what can you tell us about that? The play between of course interest rates and QT, right, some may find a confusion because they're pulling in different directions.
Speaker 2: So the message we've was given with QT is that QT operates in the background for us. We don't think it has large impacts in terms of markets. But the other point, and this is really the critical point. When we sit down to decide on what the right interest rate setting is. We take into consideration everything including markets obviously, and markets will have absorbed if you like, and taken into account the impact of QT. So in other words, QT is is always there if you like. If there is any effect from QT, we'll capture it because we'll capture it and movement of markets, and then we will set back crate to reflect that.
Speaker 1: But you don't think it's confusing for markets this kind.
Speaker 2: Of I don't think so.
Speaker 1: So you're not you're not expecting it to end it before the end of the year, to make sure that there's no confusion in what you're trying.
Speaker 2: To do, to my mind, any difficulty if we get to the point when we're going to cut interest rates to have QT going on as well.