Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for the fourth episode of Fallout season two. Be warned. Hell my name is Jason Concepcion. And on Mersday Night and welcome back to x revision of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture, cover to you from my Heart podcast where we read three up a week plus news on Saturday.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, we are getting addicted to drugs, seeing some scary creatures. Yeah, making it to Vegas and Fallout two O four.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it all right. Fourth episode of fall Up. Very interesting episode. We open in a flashback to the Alaskan Front as part of the major war that has led us to this dystopian reality. A soldier and damaged power armor walks the battlefield. It's Cooper, later to be the Ghoul. He and the remainder of his squad are experiencing technical issues with their I think it's the T fifty two power armor and Coop calls h Q and is like, can we turn back. We're having problems with our suits and they're like, no, you got a hold there, So Coop thinking this looks like a suicide mission to me, tells his like a direct underling, to like, you go back to base and I'll be right behind you. And the guy's like, Okay, you better be right behind me, and he's like, yeah, I promise, but we know he won't be. And then you hear like a roaring sound over by the wreckage of a whirlerbird, and before he can really figure out what that is, he is raked by enemy fire. His suit locks up, he goes down. It's the Chinese army. They come over to inspect this cool power armor and they're talking about like that it's going to happen when they get power armour of their own. But before they can either kill Coop or take him prisoner, a death claw attacks and absolutely shreds the Chinese with ease. This is our first I was gonna say, vaunted monster from the Fallout games. And it sniffs Cooper but for some reason leaves him alone. And then moments later Cooper hears that the battle is won, the Alaskan front has been stabilized, and everybody, I guess can go home.
Speaker 3: Great good news for them. Yeah, I was really excited to see the death Claw. This was actually something.
Speaker 2: They teased in the fallout maze at Universal Horranites. They kind of had a shadow at the end because they wanted to let people know, so that was very fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jason, how many death Claws have you killed?
Speaker 1: I've killed many death Claus Because you get seahb regular. It gets easier, it gets yeah, it gets easier, but it's very difficult. Like they are. They have a million hit points. They're vicious and as you see in this episode, they're really strong and then throw you yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We flash forward back to the moments after the events of episode three. Alas Harkness is dead as Jason correctly called what happened sorry, Kamail, and Max caved his head in.
Speaker 3: With his super sledge. Then we're like, okay.
Speaker 2: So I guess it's time to go, and FAD's like, yeah, great, I'll just put my kids back to bottling this sasparilla caprilla and then bomba boom. No you won't because they've followed Max there and there's a pounding and he knows that.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be war and they're gonna kill all these kids.
Speaker 2: So in one of the most insanely bad plans, This is Stranger Things level bad planning, but I love it because it is really the only option. Maximus convinces Thaddius to put on the armor and just pretend to be Harkness, but he doesn't really tell him anything about that him or like give him any you know, directions. So Thaddeus is like fuck it. He puts on the suit and they attempt to.
Speaker 3: Save the kids.
Speaker 2: One of Max's squad comes and there's like, hey, Aldoquences is annoyed you and Zander h went off and you are scheming?
Speaker 3: Were you making plans? And where is he?
Speaker 2: Could?
Speaker 3: He like, that's a really important guy from the Commonwealth.
Speaker 2: And there he comes, but alas he's a he's tripping over and stuff, but manages to sell it as.
Speaker 3: He trips over and he falls over, but he kind of goes, oh, just joking, just joking.
Speaker 2: And also I would say everyone is like so stressed about the potential civil war that he gets away with it a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Than he would have done.
Speaker 1: Lucy wakes up there at an NCR that and that raggedy NCR base with the kind of like near elderly NCR personnel who have no idea what's been going on. New Calvernia Republic and are awaiting resupply any day now from the base home base. The NCR scout insists that yeah, there's like a you know, there's more of us, like back of cheety sands of the new California Republic. There's just like a lot of us. It's great. They have no idea it's been destroyed. They try to convince Lucy to stick around because you know, maybe you need to join the NCR, you know, like we can work together here. But she's like, I got to go look for someone. And they ask like, oh, it's someone you like or someone you hate, and she's like someone that's hurt a lot of people, and she plans to bring him to justice. And the NCR is like, hey, that's what we do in case you're ever thinking about again joining us, and people. Yeah, the NCR officer gives Lucy access to whatever supplies they have and she opens up a big chest and there's like honey rifles, there's Ammo, lots of good stuff. Lucy and the goal head off and the ghoul, you know, wonders what these NCR or Snell might have done or might feel if they knew that Lucy's dad had blown up shady stands.
Speaker 3: I wonder how they would have felt well. In Vault thirty three, things are bad.
Speaker 2: Reggie's inbreeding shame group has grown, which you think is like it's good, but there is a big.
Speaker 3: Snack budget, and.
Speaker 2: Suddenly this is highlighting issues that are going on within the rest of the struggling vaults. The crops are dying, the waters are being wasted.
Speaker 3: Overseer Betty takes.
Speaker 2: Reg to task and is like, hey, why are you wasting these resources on parties? Like we need them. There's a short, serious shortage of clean water. But Reggie's like, hey, like, I have a massive subculture here, and within it you are very unpopular, so be careful. And Betty's like, yeah, but that's because i'm you know, I run a government. And Reggie's like, well, finally we have our own group, we have our own advocacy. We're not going to give it up, and we want snacks and uh, the king of people who are hungry. Lucy's feeling pretty cranky out in the wasteland and the girls like, yeah, it's because you're addicted to drugs and yeah, and he's and she's like what and he's like yeah, Joseph Bubba, you've been on it for days, like you you.
Speaker 3: Know you can. You can go through cold Turkey. It'll take you a few days, it'll be horrible.
Speaker 2: Or just do some drugs and of course has more drugs and she's like, yeah, am minute.
Speaker 1: We covered the drugs of Fallout back in our season in one coverage, but just as a quick update, A buff out is like a supersteroid slash amphetamine that increases, like dramatically increases, reflects time, endurance, strength, and makes you feel real good and at least in the game. I believe it's like a twenty five percent addiction rate. Every time you use it, you have a twenty five percent chance of getting addicted. And then when the drug wears off addiction, unless you get treated for addiction, it lasts, just like the ghoul said, like about a week, and during that time your character will have like minus two or three strength durance and just be weaker, dramatically weaker. Back on the Brotherhood Ship, Max hears from Dane that just as we thought, his trip with Xander Harkness has caused a big stir. Dane, however, gets a look at the fake Xander in the armor and and is like, okay, what's going Like what happened? He really realizes immediately, They realize immediately as something's off. Max admits that he killed the Commonwealth emissary and this means war, which he knows, and he knows that this means probably his own execution, and that's why he knows that what he has to do next is plan a coup and so he shares this with Dane and they and they have something cooking. Meanwhile, on the surface, after their escape from the deep down vault of Bud and his middle management project team, Norm Lucy's brother and his team of young recently defrosted middle managers are looting the area. They're eating like the any kind of food that they find, just anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's well for them, and it's only gags.
Speaker 1: It's only getting worse. And some of the you know, one woman is trying to process the fact that like to her because she's been frozen to her like she had just been on the surface, like she had just been in this on this intersection and it's now it's all ruined. Ronnie, one of the recently defrosted, comes up and he is a real go getter, very ambitious type and it's seemingly in a dangerous way. He introduces himself to Norm as the former personal assistant to Bud aka the brain jar, who is running the whole future Manager's project, and he basically hints that he knows the secret like breeding plans that were going on involved thirty one, thirty two, and thirty three, and knows about the you know, the role of Bud's secret to your middle manager training program. And Norm is like, how do you know this? And Ronnie is like, well, because you know, I did lunch orders for Bud, and so like I heard a lot of things, and I saw the lists of people who were receiving lunch, and basically I know what's going on. It's clear right away that this guy is going to be a problem.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, in the Annex tunnel, Betty and Steph are less than happy about the fact that Steph found Bud, that Betty found Bud Atkins Bud Atkins upside down in a bucket, and thirty one is now apparently abandoned and they are officially the only two overseers left that they know of, which is not good, as we will see. Because a power vacuum leads to people being corrupt, but Betty asked for help with thirty three's water issue. STEP's like, go fuck yourself. Go the like I've got a baby, I will fucking let you burn.
Speaker 3: And thirty three is like, come on.
Speaker 2: The way we treat each other, the things that we do, the humanity that we bring, that's all that we have in these spaces. But that's already clearly fallen off. And Steph is like, Okay, I got a deal. Go do a little quest for me. Go find a locked keepsake box of Hanks. If you bring it back to me, I will potentially think about sharing my water with you. And Betty's like, wait a minute, you basically just holding us hostage, eh, And she's like, well, maybe I am, but she doesn't seem to care.
Speaker 1: The Ghoul and Lucy are, you know, basically at the gates of New Vegas, and the Ghul doesn't like the vibes. He looks around the area and he sees a gang of greasers. This is a gang from New Vegas, although unlike in the show, they are not goals in the In the game, they're human beings, unradiated human beings, and the gang is called the Kings and the gul is like, it's gonna be a big problem. We detour, but Lucy is cracked out fully on. She is soaring, flying high, and she's like no, no, no, no, no, we could do it. And the goul is like, okay, I kind of love it. Lucy goes in and just tears through the kings with without any kind of problem. The increased increased speed, the increase strength, her ability to just like shoot people off reflex like snap snapshoot people is impressive. The only problem is it's also very clear that Lucy's buff out addiction is like spiral laying out of control. Like after that she after she wipes them out, her hands are shaking and she's not feeling particularly great. Meanwhile, and the cafeteria of the Brotherhood ship, Thaddeus is you know, in Xander's armor, not realizing that his mic and voice module are on, and he keeps saying to himself like I love this is everyone loves me. This is great. Nobody nobody knows anything. My name is Sander. Everybody can hear him again. And while this is happening, Elder McCrae from one of the other factions comes up to speak to who who she thinks is emissary Harkness, but is in huge alice like, I don't want to do this is basically like, hey, we're ready to back you against Quintus, just let us know. And meanwhile, Dane is putting the plan into motion and has taken all the young Paladins and move them to like a safe spot, like some storage room and tells them stay here until the shooting stops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really interesting to me that we're getting to see here that there's just no question that Max and you know, Dane are better potential leaders when it comes to like the future of the actual people in the Brotherhood, but that is irrelevant to the Brotherhood. So I'm very interested to see where this goes. He obviously, Max decides the only thing he can do is go to Quintus, and this has really been boiling for a while, so he's basically like, hey, accidentally killed Xander.
Speaker 3: I got my gun out, and.
Speaker 2: Uh, I guess this is I guess it's a little standoff.
Speaker 3: You don't have a gun.
Speaker 2: And then we head back out into the CAF materia where everyone's pitching Thad Hearkness and it's really funny. We have McCrae, we have the elder of the Coronado chapter, and they're making their alliance pictures. They'll kill Quintus, don't worry. Dane goes to the Fusion core as this is heading out. We're getting the plan parts coming together now. The tension rises and Maximus explains how he and why he killed Harkness, trying to get some empathy for the fact that there were these school kids and he didn't want them to die and they had his children, the little kid man, but he is not happy about that.
Speaker 3: Quintus is like, fuck you the Abominations.
Speaker 2: They have a shootout and in the cafeteria we get this absolutely great moment as McCrae stabs the Coronado leader in the side of the mouth, going right here here his tongue, and it's just about the Civil Wars just about to pop off.
Speaker 3: But we get this.
Speaker 2: Really great delivery from one of the other leaders that he goes, oh, that was really cool, and it was really cool, and just everything fucking pulps off.
Speaker 1: So max does not. He basically chickens out of killing Elder Quintas the shootout happens, he has to flee. Dane finds him and says, here's a Fusion Core. Get out of here, Like, just leave because it's going to get crazy. As Max and Thaddeus flee across the desert, they see that the Civil War has indeed begun because the different faction ships are firing on each other and their ship appears to be in flames and crashing wood. He reports Steph's goes to oversee your Steph and basically says, Hey, I have a report to file, an issue of something that was improper that we need to put, you know, on the books, and it involves your own behavior. The rules state of the rules the Vault state that no one is supposed to be in the intervault tunnels unless they are there for trade purposes, and you were there clearly there was no trade being done. Talking about weird stuff like what were you doing there? And Steph basically says, you mean overseers stuff and like, basically as a way of saying, like, I actually don't need to answer your question while that's happening, Chet, Steph's like indentured stuff in Duntur. Yeah, that's a great way to put it. Indentured husband is going through Steph's things just trying to be like, what's up with this lady? And he finds her Canadian sports, Canadian drivers like Canadian American drivers. We'll get it. We'll get more into like that whole thing later. And what could this mean, Well, well, it clearly means that Steph has had a life previous to the war and to the vault reality and had some sort of you know, basically grew to adulthood before the war outside and then was frozen, which he knew nothing about. Woody presses like one last time, what experiment? You know, what were you doing? What were you what were you talking about? Like you were talking about experiment? What was that? And she basically tells me to fuck off. Meanwhile, on the streets of New Vegas, it's empty Lucy's. They're walking around Lucy's like Dad, Da Dad, There's no one around it, but there's like significant levels of radiation just concerning Lucy finds an egg coop. The ghoul knows exactly what that means. It means a death claw, and a death claw like comes the roars, and it like steps out of this doorway and stands to its height and it's like a head crushes the concrete like above its head just like shatters the side of the building. It steps out, and Lucy's like, oh, this is the problem. We got it right, and then when she sees it, it's very clear that no, this is gonna be a big problem. It's the kind exact that in an episode.
Speaker 2: You don't want to walk into just when you're high on drugs, you know, even in the game, Like She's my favorite thing is the way I think they do a really good good job were at the beginning, the death Clomate looks more like what you would expect from like an evil dystopian creature. It's kind of like on a fours it's right in Coop's face. But what I love is that here we get to see it more as this kind of like towering minotare demon that just looks like there's no fucking way you're ever gonna defeat it, like ever, And I love the once again we you know, we end on Lucy's Oki Dookie.
Speaker 3: But honestly, if they get her a little bit more buff out, she will take that thing. I believe it.
Speaker 1: I saw the way she took down though she says she's gonna she's gonna have to take more buff to take down this death car.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jason, let's go to a break and then I have many questions to ask you.
Speaker 1: And we are back. Okay, Yeah, fun episode, So fun, Jason.
Speaker 2: If you were going to kill any kind of gang based on a Vegas trope, and obviously Lucy kills the greases here, she's sick of Elvis's who would what zombified people would you kill? I would kill zombified people drinking those really giant like boozy containers.
Speaker 3: Because I think it would just be really dangerous.
Speaker 2: I think they would not be well like these Elvis guys still got the Elvis has still got the Elvis guitar on, so I feel like the giant booze cup slushy zombies, they still be drunk. That's my That's my Vegas trope that I would I think I could take.
Speaker 1: I think it was out. I think it'd probably be the MMA fans who are there incredible whenever there's a big fight. It's always like just real thick neck guys in m a year who are kind of quietly the worst. That said, here's what I found interesting about this episode. First of all, I love the death claw coming in I love that the civil war is starting. I on STEP's, so, Steph's let's let's quickly like run through the timeline of the war that led to where we are now. So and all of this comes again directly from the increasingly prophetic Fallout video game series. So in twenty fifty nine, the US began because of a loss of the kind of using up of all the resources, natural resources that the US had easy access to, there began to be resource wars, and at that point the US began the process of trying to annex Canada, which eventually they did manage to do, and so by like twenties, the twenty sixties, the twenty seventies, Canada is technically part of the US and is called Little quote Little America and yeling prescient. It's feeling disturbingly concerningly prescient. I found that to be quite interesting. And another thing I found that I quite enjoyed is that we're starting to see some of the plot lines converge. Now It's like Davy and Woody. I love them, They're really fun, but they feel a little bit like a tertiary to what's going on. But now that Woody is starting to try to unravel like what Steph is up to and potentially get to the bottom of her involvement in the young in the bud Atkins like manager project and the general kind of breeding scheme that was going on here. I think that's really interesting, and I love that Max. It certainly appears that Max is going to be back with the main group soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely think so. I also am happy to see the civil war happening. I think this episode highlighted why the first season struck so hard, which is the humor between the horror and the comedy is so well balanced, Like that sequence of Lucy killing those greaser gruls, like this kind of new version of the Kings is so grotesque, but we also get these moments with like Woody where you get these broad comedy moments but that have this little emotion in them. I think those character beats are so good. There were so many moments like the stabbing in the face with the Brotherhood and stuff, where there's just this tongue in cheek humor that really really sticks the landing and then doubles up when something emotional happens. I love Woody obviously, we love that acting incredible and Sverance. I want to see him team up with Chet. I want to see that takedown of Steph. Like I'm starting to root for them now that everything in the Vaults is folding apap, the Vaults are now way more interesting to me than they were before.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, and it certainly it feels like I think one thing that's maybe been missing a little bit this season is like, who's the bad guy? You know, we started with Bob House, but he's no end of the mysterious figure nowhere to be seen. We're certainly we're probably not going to see him for quite some time, or until the tail end of the season. It seemed like, you know, maybe it was Elder Quintus, although it certainly seems like we're going to be leaving him for a while, and who knows if he even survives the battle aboard his capital ship. But Steph kind of emerging as this increasingly authoritarian overseer of Vault thirty two is really interesting. I love.
Speaker 3: In that time, I also say, yeah, this is another.
Speaker 2: Show that I think as many things that have excited us recently have excited us, it's a show that isn't scared to say, hey, maybe America also played a part in the Cold War, you know, which I think is like, it sounds silly, but I do think that there is something appealing.
Speaker 3: The same way with Stranger Things, the same way with Derry.
Speaker 2: There is something appealing about a show that looks through a historical lens but also gives us a new insight. And I think that forll Out is obviously doing that at an incredibly high level, especially compared to your kind.
Speaker 3: Of Stranger Things.
Speaker 2: But it is in that same space as Derrye where I think the historical recontextualization is doing a great job at putting the politics of the show at the forefront. I honestly think like Walton Goggins as Coop, especially in this series, probably one of my favorite characters on TV right now. I love the political intrigue of him and his wife, of everything going on, but I also just love who he is as the Ghoul, Like it's so fun to see him stoked about Lucy killing all those people. But I also like, we're still getting that crazy action, but we're getting that political underpinning. We're getting the conspiracy, we're getting the mystery, and I feel like four episodes in for second season I feel like we're perfectly paced at this point. This is when all the things should be coming together, and I feel like, now we've got half the season to really dig into New Vegas and the Bob House of it all, and I'm guessing some really crazy kind of fight sequences, big set pieces. There's four different endings to New Vegas depending on who you side with. So, Jason, what are you most excited to potentially see from the game that we haven't seen yet as we head into New Vegas? Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, you know, it's a good question. I've kind of I think we've kind of seen everything thing that I was interested in. You know, we saw the Legion, we saw the Kings of this this episode. I don't my senses that we're not going to get any of the other kind of major NPCs, because this is already a show that feels like your mileage may vary, but maybe it has too many characters like Zach Cherry coming in and having a conversation with Davy, who appears like once every three episodes for thirty seconds. Is feels like a thing that maybe we don't even mind you could potentially cut it. Yeah, So I I continue to think that One thing I think is really cool about Fallout, the game and the show, and I think the show is doing a great job of like bringing this to the surface. Is this idea that like the bad guys who ran the world and purposely cause this like devastating war are still around because of the vault and the cryogenic technology, Like they're still doing that. Bud Atkins is a brain in a jar, and that seems like that was a very despite how it looked. He looked like a fucking rumba, but it was very effective, like he was still himself and he was still doing it. And I think that part of it is very interesting, which is why I continue to think that the the kind of tentacles of this conspiracy are going to eventually at the end of this season lead us to the Commonwealth, Like we have to go to the Commonwealth now we've met somebody from there, that's what you mean. I think it's going to be that the Commonwealth is clearly going to be increasingly involved in politics in the wasteland and you know, at large, especially after one of their Amasis series has been murdered, and it certainly appears like a like a civil wars started there. Was a lot, a lot, There was a lot, and and then you've got like these figures from the Before times who are increasingly active in the wasteland territories. So I think we're gonna go to the Commonwealth. And that's the thing I'm really excited about. And the other thing I'm excited about is, which we talked about last time we covered the show, is I I'm eager to see if they bring in the Institute Yes and the High Technology Science Faction from Fallout four who have managed to create, you know, artificial human beings, very human like artificial human beings, of which in the game Harkness was one. It turned out Harkness was like a fake person. So I I hope that somewhere in these what is it ten ten episodes, eight episodes, I think it's a yeah, somewhere this season, somewhere in the in the final episodes of this season, it's gonna be revealed that a character was not truly human. And that's my hope.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love that about you?
Speaker 1: What are you? What are you looking for?
Speaker 2: I'm really excited to see where they go with the FEV stuff because something else we mentioned about, you know, something that.
Speaker 3: Was we were right for us.
Speaker 2: This episode was like when Ronnie is talking to Norm, he kind of mentions that he worked for Future Enterprise Ventures, which we know is kind of you know that's going to end up leading to FEV. We knew that that is probably what Robert House is working on, So I think just seeing how that technology evolved and why that was an important story for them to tell now, especially because we know that they are counting what happens in the show because it has been so sc as Game Cannon, and the show is going further back and.
Speaker 3: Forward than some stuff that we've ever seen before.
Speaker 2: So I'm very excited to see that. I really like the introduction of the Ronnie character. I love when somebody's plan is fucked up by a secret person who comes and actually knows everything.
Speaker 3: That's such a fun dynamic. And I also.
Speaker 2: Think that we're going to learn more about House's mind control and how it's you know, connected to these.
Speaker 3: Vaults and stuff. I'm very interested.
Speaker 2: I also just want to see some I want to see like a ten minute, one shot action scene, like I need a really crazy, crazy this is that millions of dollar Amazon budget. I love the action sequences we've had so far, but I want to see like the ultimate crazy in New Vegas fight scene, and I think we'll get it for sure.
Speaker 1: I love the the fact that Lucy is now addicted to buffa. I think, yes, her character has been such a great contrast and foil to the ghoul. This like the worldly, cynical you know, like literally dead inside and outside former Cooper currently ghoul like irradiated human being and Lucy being this like naive, like wide eyed, uh biologically perfect person from inside the vall. The fact that she's now a buff out addict and seemingly is fully in the throes of like she you can sense that she knows she should stop doing buff out.
Speaker 3: But it's like and she also like, you're like, but it feels good. That's the point.
Speaker 1: It does feel good. And when she's like that the acting when she sees like Coop take the bottle out and she's yeah, and he's like, well, you know, you could try to dry out. It'll take like four or five days and you feel really bad, and she or you could do more drugs. I just like love this twist for her character, and I think she was already a you know, good in action scenes and a and a dangerous like fighter when roused to do that. The fact that she now was formally the When she's not on drugs, she's like the talk first person, and now that she is on drugs is like it talking is good. But like I also like, think what we could kill everybody interesting? That's really interesting to me. And I do wonder if, I mean, it feels like her buff out addiction is going to be quickly out of control. I wonder if they're going to find if part of her arc over the course of this series the season is going to be trying to figure out, like how to cure her addictions.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think you might be right because also just like that isn't a law of buff out throughout the game either, you know, if you really think about how much time you play the game and how many places you can actually find. So I do think finding buff out, which you can't make in the game. It's one of the only chems you can't make in the game. So like I think her trying to find it, I think her dealing with her addiction. I think probably this will also lead to some emotional moments with the goal where he's gonna feel guilty that he got that he suggested this for her.
Speaker 3: But I'm really excited to see where it goes.
Speaker 2: And I think it's good because I do think that the notion of Lucy being this like great person and a really good person and everything is based on kind of the morals of the vault. So I'm interested to see where she goes now when she actually has another struggle and is no longer able to just.
Speaker 3: Oki dokie her way through it.
Speaker 2: Like Also, you know, is is Coop gonna pop out a little another buff out pill so Lucy can.
Speaker 1: Take down that death claw?
Speaker 3: Like is he?
Speaker 2: I think yes too, So is he just gonna be like using her as his little tack dog?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a pretty interesting twist.
Speaker 1: I would also tell people who are interested and some of like the lore of Fallout and want to like feel a chill go up their spine. Google Fallout Canada and then you will be taken to the page for Canada that will tell you Canada's role in the kind of geopolitical tumult of the twenty first century and kind of talk about like the long process of American annexation and the various atrocities that happened and you will be like fuck, like oh shit, oh no, like, oh no, it was real. It was really eerie, and honestly, like, I don't you know, the way I play Fallout. I don't know how you play it, but the way I play Fallout is very much in the present. You know. I I'm playing the missions. I'm doing the missions, and I'm not really thinking about the overarching conspiracy that led to the state of the game. I think the show does a much better job of like linking the past to the present and bringing that conspiracy like right to the forefront. It can take it because of all the side missions, all the things you can do. And I don't know about anybody else's style of play, but I usually will do two or three of the main quest missions and then just get sidetracked doing all kinds of things, trying to rank up my character, and so I don't really think too much about the lore and the you know, the overarching story of the game that led the characters to where they are. But when you you read it, you're just like oh no, oh no, oh no, no, it's true.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm really interested.
Speaker 2: And also there has been a lot of kind of there's always been a lot of Reddit chat of like, could you do a game of Fallout in annexed Canada?
Speaker 3: Could you see what that.
Speaker 2: Would look like? Like where could we set it? And yeah, I mean the whole thing honestly when you start to read about it, and this is I mean the nature of I guess great science fiction. There are so many things that when you read them now feel incredibly relevant.
Speaker 3: I mean, the wars that.
Speaker 2: Led and the tensions that led into the annexation of Canada, and the game are tensions with China. You know, things that are so relevant and of again, by the way, guys, a good reminder that none of these conflicts are like original or new, Like this has been going on so long that we are literally able to call like a decade old video game series prescient because of how they were able to look at the past and how that changed. And then you know, take a guess at what a dystopian future would look like. But obviously not great to be watching Fallout and it to be another one of those shows where we're like, oh yeah, getting pretty close.
Speaker 3: It was our subtext text close guys. Okay, Jason, if the.
Speaker 2: Fallout reality confluation happens and we cross the boundary.
Speaker 3: What would be the thing you.
Speaker 2: Would want most from the world to fall Out to bring into our own dystopia.
Speaker 1: Oh you mean like if I if Fallout happened and I somehow survived in the vault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you just if you are if we're just in it and you are now LA is the waistline.
Speaker 3: What's the thing you'll bring him from the game?
Speaker 1: I would love to have a pit boy. I think you would need one in the in the realities, the pit boy is, you know, the the large wrist worn device that allows characters to know like what the map is, like, where they are on the map, listen to the radio, look at their inventory, target people in slow motion, in vats without buff out, all of the all of those things. So I think you would need I'd need a pit boy. Somebody would need to make a pit boy, and then I would need to have it. I got to say the pit boy in the game, I don't know how it works, but the battery on that it literally never runs down.
Speaker 2: I was kind of like one of those watchers where every time you walk you may charge yourself.
Speaker 1: Is there is there anything? Is there anything? From the games? I don't know how much. How much do you have you played the f I've only played them a little bit.
Speaker 2: These are my friend Alex's fave games, but I've watched her play a lot.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just going simple power power armor. Like in the game.
Speaker 2: It's actually kind of hard to use it actually, but like for me, I'm just kind of a lazy person. So I feel like if I could get into the suit, then I'd probably I could just like stand around and pretend I was like a fake suit that had been left over or and then they could attack someone. I just feel like it's got radiation protection, it's got like, yes, you know, immense protection against like scary monsters, death clause stuff like that, So you know, I'd probably do it up real sick.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm simple. I'll go for the I go for the mech suit. I think i'd need it.
Speaker 1: Well, We're going to continue our coverage or fallout as the season continues. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Fe X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our Executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Faye wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator