Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This week on the podcast Yet Another Banger. Sam Safe is founder and CEO of Purpose Unlimited. One of their holdings is Purpose Investments, about forty billion Canadian He is a serial entrepreneur and financial innovator. He created the world's first bitcoin etf in Canada, long before the US came up with one. He built one of the larger etf firms in Canada, sold it to Blackrock. On and on the conversation goes about all these fascinating things. I thought the conversation was really really intriguing, and I think you will also with no further ado, my conversation with Purpose Investments.
Speaker 3: Some Safe, Some Safe.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Bloomberg, Barry, It's great to be here, and thank you for that kind introduction.
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of fascinated by your background, your career, the whole multiple innovations, serial entrepreneurship. But let's roll back to the early days. You wanted to be an architect and then you went for a bachelor's in Industrial and Systems engineering from the University of Toronto. What was the original career plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, since as long as I can remember, architecture was my kind of goal, and that fundamentally was something that just inspired me. I loved the mix of the creative side of my brain and the call it systems and structural mathematical side of my brain and bring them together.
Speaker 1: And just design was always something exciting.
Speaker 4: The interesting thing was that, you know, so now you're faced with this decision, you apply to you know, school for architecture and for engineering. And then in my you know, I went and spoke to a couple of architects and every single one of them said, this is.
Speaker 1: A stupid career choice.
Speaker 4: You won't be doing anything that you will you think you'll be doing. It'll be gruntwork, you won't enjoy it, and there's no money in it.
Speaker 1: And I, you know, of course, said well what am I signing up for?
Speaker 4: So I said, okay, I'm going to go do engineering with the idea that maybe I'll switch, and fundamentally that was not going to happen.
Speaker 1: And you know, I was in first year of engineering and said, okay, what is my second choice? What else?
Speaker 4: And you know, I really loved the concept of strategy and finance. I didn't know anything about finance and I hadn't been learning anything about it, but I got excited about investment banking and things like that, and so, you know, ultimately I decided that was the path I was going to pursue, and coming out of an engineering degree, I ended up, luckily just a timing really uniquely. At the end of nineteen ninety eight, got an opportunity to join the biggest bank in Canada, RBC, in their investment banking division, and so engineering was a really interesting path towards it.
Speaker 1: And you know, at the time.
Speaker 4: The tech bubble was happening, and I guess someone in investment banking said, hey, we need more engineers in here to tell us, you know, how to think. And the learning curve was pretty amazing in terms of starting with nothing and basically learning on the go.
Speaker 2: Huh. So you spend six years at RBC helping them build out their structured products group. Tell us about that experience. What did you learn?
Speaker 4: So investment banking is one of the amazing early learning experiences. And I've always been in sort of pursuit of you know, learning and call it pushing myself to certain limits. And you know, investment making today is very hard. Investment banking twenty five years ago was even harder. And you know, young analysts, young individually, you're ultimately working on you know, amazing things. But at the same time you are you know, being you know, you're working like a dog, like eighty to one hundred hour weeks. That's there is no better place as a twenty ey two year old, twenty three year old, twenty five year old to ultimately have immersive learning like and so it was amazing for me when I when I went into it.
Speaker 1: It's funny I.
Speaker 4: Had as a young individual always you know, I was an immigrant to Canada. You know, I didn't you know, my family was a good middle class family, but we didn't, you know, have stuff.
Speaker 1: So I always dreamed about this idea of.
Speaker 4: All the riches and golds and things of that, and you know, investment making kind of one of the things that kind of excited me was this idea of you know, hey, you're going to make lots of money. And and you know, the interesting thing was during the tenure, you know, the first few years, you know, you start making good money for a young individual, and then you kind of realize, wait a minute, this isn't actually motivating me. I remember succinctly, I came home. I was twenty five years old. It was three in the morning or two in the morning, and I just sat down and kind of weeped because I said, you know, I'm working like a dog, and I'm pursuing this goal, but I'm not happy. And I had to actually go through a deep perspective of like, Okay, what is the thing that actually drives me? What is the thing that actually motivates me to wake up on Monday morning and skip to work because I'm still.
Speaker 1: Enjoying what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: And what I realized was that the thing that actually I was in pursuit of was the idea of seeing my ideas progress, seeing the things that I was doing have real tangible outcome. And I go back to that principle of what was it that excited me about architecture or design. It was this very simple principle of you know, when you build something or you design something, you can actually see it in front of you afterwards. And so I actually correlate that really specifically around what was the thing that was my intrinsic motivation. So at that point I just said, look, I'm still learning, I'm having an amazing time, but am I going to ultimately achieve what I want here, and I said I won't, so I kind of gave myself a put I call it. I was twenty five years old and I said, Okay, I'm still here learning, I'm going to build my networks. I'm going to do all this stuff. But if I am in seat on my thirtieth birthday, I'm going to resign on that day. And that kind of woke up my mind to what else is out there, And over the next number of years, I started thinking about what was it that was going to be the next for me, and that ultimately came when I was twenty eight and started Claymore.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about Clay Moore. You launched this in two thousand and five. Globally, ETFs were a thing, but not the giants than they were today. They certainly were a tiny niche product in Canada back then. What did you see that all the other banks and all the other finance bros Completely missed?
Speaker 1: So you're absolute right.
Speaker 4: So in Canada specifically, there were fourteen ETFs listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, basically all by Barclay's Eye units at the time I shares, and in the United states. You know, of course ETFs were starting to become popular, specifically in the institutional crowd, retail crowd. You had I think, perhaps like wisdomsr had just sort of entered the business and players like that, and so it was it was not an area that was logical or call it clear that said, I had. One of the things I had the benefit of, I'd actually covered some management firms globally and during my time at RBC, and i'd actually got the opportunity to cover Barclays and got to know the leadership of the of the organization and help them raise the capital. But more importantly, was supported and understood what they were doing on the indexing ETS side. And it got me really excited. I started to see the trends. But what I struggled with was the fundamental principle of you know, passive indexing.
Speaker 1: I really did.
Speaker 4: I actually love the principles of what indexing did. And at the time ETFs were deemed as indexing, right, that was the concept, right, It was actually anything you did outside of pure indexing was a no no. The industry players would say, well, this isn't an index. And so I got really excited about you know, the idea of you know what an ETF does, It's low cost, great product in terms of rapper and structure, transparent discipline, and its approach using an index. However, I just hated the fundamental principle of what market cap indexing did, which is basically by high and sell low.
Speaker 1: Right. So, in around the time.
Speaker 4: That I left our received started Claymore, I had actually read a research paper just serendipitously came out around the same time in two thousand and four by Rob are Not and Jason Sue, We'll spend some time on Rob, who's a really important person in my life, and they had published this article around non market cap weated indexes, smart data, Yes, and it was I read this article and I'm engineer, so I love these technical things, and I just got excited, and basically a couple of months later, I reached out, We went down and spent time with Rob in Pasadena.
Speaker 1: And he was a big thing.
Speaker 4: I remember Rob was a pretty big deal, but he took the time, he spent half a day with me, and I walked out of that office just having clarity on the future of what I was going to build, and more importantly, the future of where the industry opportunity was. And that was the principal starting point of the vision for building Claymore and you know the future of what I felt was going to be a really amazing thing around indexing and the future of indexing around and we used of course, we launched the first public investment fund on fundamental index and the RAFFI indexes.
Speaker 2: Huh really interesting. So you grow this to thirty four ETFs and a couple of closed end funds and about eight billion dollars Canadian I think, yeah, six billion US. What was the hardest part of building that sort of asset manager considering all the other products were giant bank owns.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Canada of course has many structural I mean, it's an amazing region for opportunity financial services. That said, it is also you know, highly concentrated with the big banks and the control that they have with their distribution, and so it's a very challenging market for independence as you can imagine.
Speaker 1: That said, you know what, I really I go back to the period we had a really amazing product. No one knew what it was.
Speaker 4: I remember we'd go out in two thousand and five, two thousand and six, two thousand and seven. We'd sit down and talk to advisors across the country and you know, I'd walk into a room and I'd have a sign in sheet and saying, you know, name and email. But then I'd ask the question, how many of you use ETFs? And back then it was one out of ten would say yes. Most people were like, what's an ETF? It's what EFTs? You know, like, this is the time, right, But I fundamentally believe what we were doing is important, and it was, you know, we grew in Canada. Of course, remember about one tenth size of the American market, so you know, eight billion aggregate would be like eighty billion in that timeframe. But we actually in the first couple of years grew to about a billion dollars. So at the beginning of a weight, we got to eight hundred million, which is a great, great outcome early on in you know, from nothing, and then in the real thing happened in two thousand and eight, you know, and it's you know, it was a really great wake up call and called learning for me. We went through two thousand and eight and every single month and o eight we grew positively. We had the net positive sales I think we were going to bite the market environment. And in September October specifically, we had positive net sales, and I think we were the only firm in the country that had that. The principle was that disruption was critical for us at a time when we were trying to build a challenger idea and tell a really strong narrative. We needed the complacency of our investor base, of the advisor community of institutions to wake up and say, hey, wait a minute, you know what should I be thinking about next? And that was a really important point. So coming out of two thousand, we ended up in two thousand and eight growing from eight hundred million to one point one billion, despite the head of the markets, and then in two thousand and nine we went from one point one billion to four point four billion. Wow, So just an accelerant coming out of the financial crisis. The next year we went from four point four to five point seven, and then to six point eight, and then ultimately two months later when we closed the deal with black Rock to sell it, it was eight billion. And the momentum was just so unbelievably strong. And the reason was because when people the financial crisis occurred people left the market and they were going to cash, and then when they were re entering the market, they were asking themselves, now, what where do I go?
Speaker 1: What's the best investment vehicles?
Speaker 4: And all of a sudden, easys became something that they were learning about, understanding, and we were.
Speaker 1: Right there and it was amazing.
Speaker 4: At the same time, we also saw the acceleration towards the trends that were happening in advice as you know, the movement towards discretionary portfolio management, you know, the historical mindset towards commission oriented new issue type business that became challenged because of the market and the banks and the broker dealers wanted more stability, so advisors started to transition their practices towards more discretionary investment processes and model portfolios and ETFs of course, you know, fit extremely well.
Speaker 1: In the US.
Speaker 4: We've of course seen the RAA movement coming out of that, and those were an amazing backdrop of trend that that just drove the market and in parallel, the ETF industry alongside of it, and it's been an unbelievable number of years for everyone.
Speaker 2: Really interesting. So so the sale to Blackrock what motivated the exit, what was the process like, and how hard was it to let go of this thing that you had built?
Speaker 1: Very hard.
Speaker 4: So there's a My financial partner in the call it latter years was a firm called Googa IM Partners and an amazing partner, an organization. Worked really well with them, and you know, really proud of the relationship we built there. And the interesting thing was, of course I had sort of approached them and said, let's let's sort of, you.
Speaker 1: Know, let me buy you out.
Speaker 4: You know, they'd had a great outcome and it was a wonderful locome, but you know, we just sort of couldn't get to a price that made sense.
Speaker 1: So we decided to go through a process.
Speaker 4: And I at the time felt, Okay, we'll run a process, but I'm going to also be a buyer at the process, and I agreed.
Speaker 1: We agreed to that. At the end of the day though the process was very robust.
Speaker 4: Blackrock was a leading partner at that and I remember pivoting multiple times as the price kept going up on who my partner was going to be to finanza my buyout. And then at the end, I remember, on in December of twenty eleven, I was was my daughter's birthday. I was on the phone with one of my strategy partners around the purchase and we were having conversation about strategy, execution plan. And then I got off the phone. I walked down to my wife and I said, I'm holding on too much. The price has gotten well above what my target price was.
Speaker 1: I'm being too emotional. I think that the right thing to do is to sell.
Speaker 4: So I called the bankers. I said, I'll put my name behind the black Rock bid. I flew down to New York on January second. We spent a few days in a room negotiating the purchase. Still agreement.
Speaker 1: I mean, now it's the deal.
Speaker 4: I think on January eleventh and close a deal on March second, and that it was a really difficult period for me. I had a chip on my shoulder. I'd built this thing. You used the word serial entrepreneur earlier, and I actually have never believed I'm a serial entrepreneur. I don't build businesses to build businesses. I build business because I truly love what I do. I'm in pursuit of really building things that have endurance, have great value to our customers, that really think about changing the industry, and so this was a moment where I felt like something was being ripped out of me, and so I had a chip on my shoulder. We closed the transaction and I said, I need to take the time. I actually ended up building the business plan for what I was going to do next, which ultimately is purpose and while simple, within thirty days. But I said to myself, if I start today, I'm going to fail because I'm not doing it for the right motivation.
Speaker 1: I'm doing it for the wrong reasons.
Speaker 4: I want to do it because I'm in pursuit of getting back in the business.
Speaker 1: And so I ended up.
Speaker 4: Consulting for the Irregulator for a couple of weeks, and then I ultimately went to with my wife for three months overseas to Southeast Asia and I detached. I Back then, we had blackberries. I still probably have BlackBerry. People famously know I love blackberries. But I had BlackBerry and I turned it off and no one could get a hold of me. We went throughout Southeast Asia and it was the greatest thing. And I said to myself, if I come back and I have the energy and excitement around this business plan, then I'm going to do it. And of course we came back and you know, I once we landed in North America, you get all the texts and all the news, and my energy just started to really powerfully go up. And I said, okay, let's go, and I registered purpose and started the business plan.
Speaker 2: So we're going to talk in a little bit about why I think you're a serial entrepreneur. But you said something that I'm kind of fascinated by. And it requires a degree of self awareness that many people in our industry sometimes don't have. I don't want to say always don't have. We all have blind spots. You said you became aware that you were too emotional, too self involved, too you were holding too tightly. How did you come to that realization? You know, listeners aboard of hearing me talk about my early days on a training desk, But I became very aware that, oh, this is just way too much fun. You're trading for the dopamine hit, not for P and L. You either have to become more disciplined or shift your career. What was that insight that led you to say, Oh, I'm gripping this way too tightly.
Speaker 4: So I think self reflection is one of the great virtues that we all should have. It's one of the things I think often people don't have enough of. And I actually think, you know, it's something that requires anchoring to sort of early on to the kind of goals and the things that matter to you. So you're disciplined around what you're self reflecting around and it's hard as humans, like we're not trained, our mental state is not trained this way. So it's just something that I feel very confident in my ability to constantly be asking myself, Am I on the right track? Am I doing the right things? Am I pursuing the right goals? Am I going to achieve the things that I want to achieve on the path I'm on? And that that's just I think it's a critical learning and you know, the growth mindset that comes with that curiosity and willingness to be vulnerable is critical as a human. So this is this is I think a really important thing. I think our industry can always use that because you know, I like, I love the financial services industry one because it starts with a really amazing mission. We are here in service of individuals to help them ultimately achieve their out comes, their goals.
Speaker 1: There it is such an unbelievably.
Speaker 4: High mission industry, and we don't do enough to talk about that. Instead, we talk too much about ourselves. We're self centered. We talk about you know, hey, let me tell you about me, and now that I'm done talking about me, let me talk to you more about me. And you go to someone's website, it's always about me, me, me, it's never about the customer. And so there's this amazing opportunity as an industry to step back, reflect and say, why are we here? What's the actual job that we're here to do? And it is ultimately in service of individuals and their outcomes one hundred percent, and we complicate that so much, and so I think self reflection on that as an industry is a big opportunity, and those who get it are those who stand out and differentiate more than anybody else.
Speaker 2: Really really fascinating. Coming up, we continue our conversation with some safe founder and CEO of Purpose Investments discussing financial innovation. I'm Barry rich Alts. You're listening to Masters in Business on blue Berg Radio. I'm Barry Redhults. You're listening to Masters in Business on Bloomberg Radio. I'm speaking with some Safe he is the founder and CEO of Purpose Investments. So we were talking earlier. You sold Claymore to black Rock, and instead of taking a couple of years off, a month or two later you essentially start Purpose as well as co founding Wealth Simple. So many people take a breather after an exit. Why go straight back in? And why two companies at want?
Speaker 4: So I had, As I said earlier, I had a very clear eye on what I wanted to do next. I was really excited about where the industry was going, what we were doing, with the momentum we were seeing. And it felt actually now I had this amazing gift. I was blessed with a blank piece of paper. And so when you have a blank piece of paper, so oftentimes businesses want to keep evolving, you want to, but you have to kind of deal with your legacy, you know, and technical data and things like that. And so I felt, blank piece of paper I can get to do. How would I start from scratch? And so I had this great energy. But I looked at both the continued evolution of modernization of investment management, but I also saw a bigger picture opportunity in wealth management. I said, the opportunity is not just you know, let's build ass some management products. Because when I started claymar I came from it from a technical engineering perspective, and I said, when I look at all the billboards and I look at all the advertising, all it says is, hey, we beat the market.
Speaker 1: We did this.
Speaker 4: And I said, okay, well, the job to be done is to beat the markets. And I thought that's what we were supposed to do. So I was in pursuit of building a product and a business that ultimately solved for helping people beat the markets. What I realized and one of my great stories around this was the first product we launched was the Canadian Fundamental RAFFI Fundamental Index, and we launched that and it was amazing. But it hit its five year numbers in twenty ten, just early twenty eleven, and of course five years you start to see real track record. And at the time it was the number two Canadian equity fund. It beat every active fund, all the main index. It outperformed by two hundred basis points, and that's a great accolade, of course in our industry. That's what you know, you were really excited about. And I felt, wait a minute, I actually don't know if we actually did anything, because it went down in two thousand and eight, just like the Maid Index thirty five percent or whatever it was. And I also looked at the journey and I said, if someone had bought it on day one when we launched it and held it all through that five years, they would have received that return. But the reality of what human nature was is that they were buying it at different times when they got fearful, they were selling it, and you know, their return was very different than the fund's return. And I asked myself, I said, did we actually change the industry?
Speaker 1: Did we do anything?
Speaker 4: Yes, we did something great technically, the product was excellent. We were moving the needle of how the industry operates, but we weren't changing the way the client and the customer was experiencing what we did.
Speaker 1: And so that for me.
Speaker 4: And at the same time I told you about Guggenheim was our partners and they had been working on their wealth part of the business with Danny Knoman, and I had this wonderful gift again to have the opportunity to learn and understand how the Danny was brought in to help them understand how to help billionaires and wealthy families and call it patriarchs and matriarchs to understand the transition from wealth creation to wealth management. And it was so powerful and the principles of what Danny talked about really resonated with me. I became a student of behavioral science and that sort of became really powermount to my view of what a modern assa management firm needs to think about, which is not just beat the markets, but develop investment products that actually have outcomes and goal orientation towards them. How do you help advisors and investors ultimately communicate together and work collaboratively around the actual goal the customers are asking us to do, which is help them meet their goals.
Speaker 1: And so I just.
Speaker 4: Felt the asse management industry, wealth industry both could ultimately optimize around that.
Speaker 1: And that was what Purpose's mission was going to be around.
Speaker 4: Is outcom oriented modern investment management, optimizing for all the inputs and how we manage money, not being active, not being passive. And then second is how do we help restructure the way wealth management could ultimately be oriented towards the customer journey as opposed to, Hey, we're just going to give you a sixty to forty portfolio.
Speaker 2: Huh really really fascinating. Tell us a little bit about wealth Simple, which I described earlier as the default investing app for a young generation of Canadians. What did you see before apps like Robinhood were big and successful that was a thing that young people wanted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the principal insight that I sort of had was, you know, if you looked at the way that the industry was operating, one of the big negatives was that because the industry made so much money, the margins were so good, we actually relied in a l easy way on what we call average economics. So what does that mean? Where do you see that It comes out as on average? You know, I like to run money for bigger customers. On average, my bigger customers make me more money, and on average, my smaller customers don't make any money. And how does that show up? You know, smaller customers get treated poorly, get high fees, get relegated to lower quality services, and larger investors ultimately get all the value. And people are gravitating towards hey minimums and big fees for big, big services for high net worth and ultra high networth. And I just felt that was stupid. The only economics class I took in engineering was something called ABC economics, and what that is is actually activity based economics. And so the idea of unit economics, and I said, what we need to understand in this industry is that I actually disagree that small accounts don't make you money. I just think that the systems, the principles of the infrastructure of the industry are poorly designed to serve smaller clients. And so what I I felt my whole wealth model was how do we restructure the infrastructure of the industry. How do we think about it from a unit economics using technology and structure and pipes that would ultimately allow for that. And then what you do is bifurcate the value for the different segments of customers fall early stage customers, middle of massiffluent all the way to ultra high net worth based on a service level offering. And the service level offering would change an increase based on the needs of those customers.
Speaker 1: So that was the principle.
Speaker 4: And I said, at the earliest stage, if you're twenty years old, twenty five years old, this is the most amazing period to build for. But the industry was treating them awful. So I said, let's go build this, and so we started with the technology, the infrastructure, and what will Simple has done is really unbelievable. It has become in Canada the most competitive platform in financial services against the big six Canadian banks. Canada has never seen anything like this before. And it all is rooted on on serving customers where they're needing us to serve them right when they're getting started or along the earliest stage of their journey, and then helping them compound not only their wealth but also the overall financial experience as they grow. From twenty five thirty thirty five, forty it has been an amazing experience.
Speaker 1: And you know today Well.
Speaker 4: Simple, I mean, I think we're we run about one hundred and fifty billion, but we're doing more in net deposits than the biggest bank in Canada, RBC. That is an unbelievable City six and I'm proud of what that team and what the organization is doing to challenge the industry and change the way Canadians are served.
Speaker 2: So let's stay with wealth Simple a minute, because initially I assumed this was kind of a rub and hood like app with free trading and gamification and you know up to but not quite sports betting like that sort of. Hey, this isn't going to get anybody to their goals. It's fun entertaining stuff during the lockdown of the pandemic. Tell us about wealth simple in terms of the differences with an app like Robinhood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the starting point actually is you start with the customer where they need you the most. Right when you're twenty five or thirty, you know, you're either just getting started, you might have five, ten, twenty, thirty thousand dollars, and the principle of it is you want to help them ultimately get going.
Speaker 1: So building a discipline, a structure.
Speaker 4: So we have the manage money programs, which are you open an account very simply and clearly, you basically build your portfolio, and your portfolio is basically a glide path on the markets and and such, and then you surround that with you know, the types of services and solutions, so direct trading accounts, you know, cash management, credit cards, you know all the crypto things like that are really important.
Speaker 1: So my principle is there's always a view of attention of these things.
Speaker 4: I come from a different way of it, which is, these are things that people are going to be in pursuit of, and what you want as an organization is not to duck your head in the sand at any stage. If you're an advisor, you know, saying hey, I don't do crypto is actually a wrong message or because your customers are going to be in pursuit of it. We know that sixty seventy percent of highit worth individuals have a direct account and many of them are curious and engaged in buying interesting areas like that. So I think an advisor firm or any firm, a financial service firm, has to find a way to balance the foundations of what is good long term you know, call it discipline investing, along with saytiating the needs and the desires of what an individual wants so that they don't always you know, turn their head to I need something different. And that actually comes from the mindset of find a safe and secure way to do those types of things on behalf of the customers and educate them and size it effectively. So you know, like for example, while Simple recently got approval to do prediction markets, and this is a really high tension area.
Speaker 1: It's you know, people have a you know, binary.
Speaker 4: View of this, and my view is if customers are going to be doing it, you want them to do it with you in a safe and secure way, then to do it elsewhere, and that's how you have to ultimately be building around. But at the same time, the whole business is oriented around helping someone where they need it the most, around their financial journey so they can ultimately achieve their goals.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: So this discussion about whether or not you're a serial entrepreneur, I have to click through a bunch of things that you've built that are fascinating. Starting with the world's first spot bitcoin ETF back in twenty twenty one, long years before the US approved one. It crossed a billion dollars in the first month. How did you get the Canadian regulators to approve this? How did you make them comfortable three years before the SEC was comfortable.
Speaker 4: So, first off, I've had a deep thesis on crypto for a long time, and that's the starting point is I wasn't doing it because hey, cool, dos your idea. Let's launch this and throw some thing against the wall. I had, you know, in twenty sixteen, just like most people, you know, I had been like, you know, been asked about bitcoin, and I was like, I don't know, it looks like a sort.
Speaker 1: Of scammy thing.
Speaker 4: And then I sort of self reflected and said, wait a minute, people are actually asking my opinion on this. I should go and do some research. So I spent the time learning and understanding the space. I actually the best way to do that is make an investment. And you know, over the next twelve months, I just became this student of what was happening. And you know what really excited me was, of course Ethereum, which is this call it sister technology that was really around taking what Bitcoin had done and really expanding the capabilities of it, around smart crypto and.
Speaker 1: All the ust it exactly. And so I got very excited about that. And so what I.
Speaker 4: Said was, we're so early in this, the infrastructure is not there, The fraud risks all of it for investors is going to be so high. So I actually launched the first publicly traded vehicle on Ethereum, called ether cap Partner with a group of people and I said, we're going to raise the money. We're going to buy a ether on the balance sheet.
Speaker 1: Effect.
Speaker 4: You know, we've seen these now become more popular in the last number of years, but it was the first one and we did this in twenty eighteen, and I'll tell you it was an amazing thing. And my message wise, we're going to find a safe and secure way for people to co invest alongside of us on this really great journey because of the asymmetric opportunity of this bet that informed me on so much. And then at some point and we used to do self custody in that corporation and all the rest of it, and then at some point we started to see the infrastructure change and that's when we went into the regulator and said, look, there's an opportunity here. The infrastructure is changing around how you can custody and fit this into a liquid ETF structure. We worked with them for nine months and ultimately got them comfortable. And this is a really important principle that I believe we as a registrant, as a money manager, we have great ideas, great innovation, and as long as our ideas are aligned with where the regulator wants the future to go, it's really important to engage with the regus later and have that dual relationship. That idea of helping them, educating them on where we need to get to. And so that was the kind of work we've done all throughout my career, and we did that on crypto and frankly, we really excited that we got the opportunity to launch it and that model. What we did actually ultimately informed the series of products launched in the US a couple of years later on how ultimately to structure ETFs in the crypto space. And of course the industry has grown and we've moved an asset from the fringe all the way to the core, which is what ultimately my thesis was in a deep way.
Speaker 2: And ef capital today is in what structure we.
Speaker 4: Actually converted it from that corporation to an ETF once that was available, and the gain there we built staking into it and those things weren't again available in an ETF form or call it doable, until they were, and when they were, we ultimately moved to the most efficient vehicle, which is the ETF structure.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about longevity pension funds, launched in twenty twenty one, the world's first income for life mutual funds, which uses longevity risk pooling to pay lifetime income like a defined benefit pension investors include allions and omers. How is this different from what in the US we think of as traditional annuities.
Speaker 4: So this is actually so first of this was my original thesis on purpose, which was, you know, the industry was all solving for the accumulation phase.
Speaker 1: Let's build them.
Speaker 4: Investment products to call it, solve for how do we save money? But no one was really solving within the asset management industry around the challenges of decumulation. And it was kind of left to the insurers, you know, with annuities and with defined benefit pensions and such. And I just felt there was this gap there that was really critical and you need to deeply understand the sort of the principles of you know how, longevity and structure and all the rest of it. We're going to be critically in there. And so I asked the team, I said, we need to solve for decumulation. And we were in pursuit of it. We were spending a lot of time working on it. Ultimately we came across a structure and I just got really excited.
Speaker 1: And the principles.
Speaker 4: We had to go to the regulator again and say there are some exemptions we need to make this work. If I step back for a moment, the greatest financial product ever created in our business or in the financial industry is the divine benefit pension plant. And frankly, if you go back to what that represented, it was such an amazing bargain. You join a company, the company says, we will, in an institutional way, organize to have a savings program alongside of your career, and it will not only solve for your savings needs while you're working, but once you retire, it will also solve for your income longevity for as long as you live and in some cases your spouse. That is like, if you think about the journey of a customer, it is the most unbelievably comforting and principal thing that we've done. And the industry has done everything over the last forty years to break that down, kill it and on with the concept of hey, we're giving you choice, and that has been so bad for people. So I always believe that we needed to get back to bring the system back. If every Canadian, every American had access to a defined benefit pench plon, ninety five percent of them would be unbelievably better off. The reality is it's not good for the industry. The fragmentation allows for agency to increase. And so what I've always said is how do we bring this back into the structure, And so Longevity Pension Plan was designed on how do we build a pension line for all? How do we do that in a mutual fund structure which is accessible the annuity structure that is of course it works similarly. The problem is it has it has the structure of you have to go off book for an advisor, or advisors don't really like them. Investors have to ultimately go through an insurance structure and it's individualized. Whereas the defined bension plane is a pool. And so when you get longevity risk pooling like that which is done in a defined benefit BENSUIP plan, why couldn't you do.
Speaker 1: That in a mutual fund.
Speaker 4: And that was our principle and so we designed that it's the first fund to really incorporate longevity risk pooling.
Speaker 1: So putting lives together with a mutual goal of.
Speaker 4: I'm putting money at work to ultimately solve for my lifetime comfort that I'm going to have in number life and if I die early, I'm ultimately supporting the cohort but I'm getting what I needed from it.
Speaker 2: So I want to click through four other innovative products, but I don't want to spend all week on it. Let's click through these four quickly, starting with cash management ETFs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so cash is something I think that of course everybody needs access to. So we had launched the first money market ETF in when I was running Claymore. When I came back with Purpose, we saw the movement towards deposit rates were much higher than money markets, so we actually went in. The unique thing we did there was we went and built a ETF that linked to a deposit account, so it's not to a security so it's actually one of the first of its kind, and that was a hugely important thing back in twenty fourteen. And of course the cash management industry has grown dramatically. We haven't seen this in the United States yet, so we haven't seen deposit based cash ETFs. We've seen money market based ETFs, but we haven't seen deposit based. So it's you know, based on the buck you know, it increases based on the on the value doesn't fluctuate, and it goes right into the bank deposits of you know, several banks and you get therefore a higher rate.
Speaker 1: So we were really really proud of that innovation. It has.
Speaker 4: It goes to show the kind of principal first or the first principle mindset that our organization always thinks about is solving problems because many advisors moving to discretion and we're saying, like, I want to bulk trade cash, but it's my organization isn't making it easy.
Speaker 2: So I have to sweep it exactly Sodian at night into it really is is it should be capable of being automated and maximizing yield without increasing risk. But there are just a million impediments.
Speaker 4: I sell qqqs and I want to go into cash in my balance of my model, my administrative assistant has to go and do all the basically account by account. Now with the ETF, you were able to go from from you know, qqs to cash and then back to qqqs or whatever you were doing in just a simple single trade.
Speaker 2: Let's let's talk about option based income products. I've never been a fan of this as a brokerage product. It just felt like there was so much costs, so much commission built into it. It really when when you're dealing with relatively tight margins, it's a challenge as a retail investor to derive any value out of it, real value. It's certainly great for generating fees. How do you how do you manage an option based income product that works for the retail investor.
Speaker 1: So let's start with the principle why right?
Speaker 4: I believe that options and derivatives actually play a really important role for management of portfolios and return stream.
Speaker 1: So it goes back to that principle.
Speaker 4: Can you design outcomes and the trade offs that come with options, because that's ultimately what you're doing, whether it's call options or put options, and so for an investment return stream that you're designing, options can be really powerful. That said that, to your point, they're high friction for an advisor, very hard to execute and you know, across your business, but too for individuals. It's very hard and very expensive to you know, the spreads and the costs and the sizing.
Speaker 1: But it's excellent.
Speaker 4: It's actually what option structures are really designed for ETFs and institutional money management in a great way because you can do at scale really amazing programs. So we've been doing these for twenty five years. You know, back when I was at RBC, we used to help firms build them. At Claymore, I build them, and then at Purpose we've done it, and I find that they are so designed, so perfectly designed for the structural outcome that you want to ultimately create and manipulate in your return stream.
Speaker 1: But they do come with trade offs. I'll give you a great example.
Speaker 4: One of the first things when I was in my you know, starting in my career in talking to advisors, the thing that they the old school advisor would say, oh, I write put options or call options for a couple of my clients on their large names, but I can't do it for all my clients.
Speaker 1: And I'd say, why do you do that?
Speaker 4: Well, because you know I'm owning this stock, and you know, if I'm going to own it for the next ten years, why not generate some income along the way. And that was a really important mindset that people had, but they couldn't do it across their business. And I said, well, if I own a name like a JP Morgan and I'm going to own I love JP Morgan. The actual optimal well way to own JP Morgan is to have eighty percent long JP Morgan and twenty percent covered call overlaid JP Morgan, so that you're generating the long term beta of JP Morgan. Plus you're generating some ongoing return from the option income as volatility is there, and you're taking advantage of the volatility to generate a return trip. And that's the best way, optimally from a risk adjust basis to generally own most stocks.
Speaker 1: So how do you do that?
Speaker 4: And so if you design product We've designed something called the Yield Chairs which was designed specifically around single name stocks that we people most love, and then you write options against them to generate the option income so that it complements a long only position.
Speaker 2: How do you avoid getting called away when the stock has a sudden surge and all the problem isn't merely hey, you can always go out and re buy it, but now you have a giant capital gains hit you have to pay when the stock gets called.
Speaker 4: So in one thing in Canada is we don't actually have the difference between short and long term capital gains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a really nice thing.
Speaker 4: You know, you can buy and sell something in a day and ultimately get capital gain streatment at the lowest rate.
Speaker 1: Our rate is a little higher, but but still it's.
Speaker 2: A short term thirty percent long term.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so our long term is twenty five twenty seven percent. The principal mindset, though, is this is what institutional programs are really great at. You don't write one option on one strike, price on one position.
Speaker 1: You use stack them, so you might have if you have.
Speaker 2: A whole matrix exactly different strikes, different dates.
Speaker 4: And then with technology today you can optimize all the structural elements of do you roll it for tax efficiency? Do you ultimately buy it back? Do you do you wear along a curve an option? Do you basically roll the capitol into at any point? So you're constantly in this call it vintaging of your portfolio overlay, which is really important. That's what institutional money management needs to do. If you're just singularly buying one option on one strike byce, that's actually a very low quality execution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we used to see a lot of that on the broker side. So the single stock yield chairs. How many different versions of this are there or are they all tossed into.
Speaker 4: Twenty No, we have a single names, so I think we might be at like twenty something twenty five. I don't know what the exact number, but it's north of twenty Canadian and US names.
Speaker 1: And they've been very popular.
Speaker 4: You know, they've been very popular with both advisors and direct investors.
Speaker 2: Huh. Really interesting. Coming up, we continue our conversation with Sam Safe, CEO and founder of Purpose Investments, discussing why he built Purpose Unlimited. I'm Barry rich Alts. You're listening to Masters Business on Bloomberg Radio. I'm Barry Redults. You're listening to Masters in Business on Bloomberg Radio. My extra special guest this week is Some Safe. He is the founder and CEO of Purpose Unlimited, which also owns Purpose Investments. He has founded and sold a variety of different companies over the past let's call it twenty almost twenty five years. So Purpose is now about thirty one thirty two billion Canadian or about twenty two billion US across ETF's cash, alternatives, private assets, et cetera. Tell us the problem that Purpose is trying to solve for your clients.
Speaker 4: Sure, so total Purpose actually run over around forty billion, now forty BILLI yeah, on the platform. So on the asset management side, just over thirty and on the wealth side now just round ten and growing quite fast, and the principal mindset has always been so on the asset management side, was you know, let's build a modernization of investment management and products and services to meet clients where they need to be. How do we help advisors and investors build more resilient portfolios, not just long only equities and long only bonds, but how do you optimize for the types of return streams that support a world where potentially bonds aren't your protective assets. How do you optimize for the types of return streams that ultimately are designed around an outcome as opposed to just the return of a beta.
Speaker 1: And so those are the first start.
Speaker 4: And we have the inputs of we care about not only the quality of our investment product that we manufacture, but also they call it artisan quality of our investment inputs. So the team, the capabilities the process for investment strategy using both quantitative methods active methods in each of the different categories. I think the second component was then we have this big picture that goes back to this system and I use the reference to the defined benefit pension plan as a phenomenal product.
Speaker 1: How do we.
Speaker 4: Redesigning the way advice and investment management work together on ultimately achieving a client's goal. And so we've designed this whole infrastructure around the wealth management to support one the movement towards independent wealth management. So as you know in the United States, you've seen the US RIA segment. Canada has a nascent segment there, and you know, we saw this really important movement towards and a need for that. So we built the infrastructure to support and movement towards independent wealth management. But then also the services and the tools and the capabilities over and above that to support advisors in basically driving their businesses towards more planning based, portfolio outcome oriented investment management and wealth management and experiences as opposed to you know, I pick better stocks in the next guy, I'm better at delivering better returns. More around how do we help customers ultimately achieve their goals, And so we've built all of this technology and systems around that outcome.
Speaker 2: So I like the idea of emphasizing outcomes over benchmarks, but you know, we have half a century maybe longer, of organizing portfolios around those benchmarks and trying to beat the index. Explain what's wrong with that approach?
Speaker 4: Well, it goes back to the behavioral science start. That's first and second ones. It is also a structural thing. If you go back to the last the last ten years or so, when I looked at the space that I felt that the industry had become a little bit complacent towards this idea that the call it the best and optimal portfolio was a sixty forty portfolio. And the reason was if you actually span yourself out and looked at the returns of the sixty forty portfolio going back, you know, one hundred, one hundred and ten years, which we did the research on, it actually only met its long term goal of seven percent in five of call it eleven or so decades. And this is a couple of years ago we did that research, and those of those five, three of them were in the period of teen eighty to twenty twenty, and so I felt that that had created this bias and anchoring bias in call it the industry. You know, Barry, the one thing you realize about our industry is that very few people have a historical experience beyond nineteen eighty. Most people's career spans are from nineteen eighty onwards, and so you know, you get biased towards what you know, what you see?
Speaker 1: What do you see when interest.
Speaker 4: Rates go up, they pretty rapidly go back down. When you look at any three or four year cycle, the sixty to forty portfolio generally was giving you positive returns, and so that meant, hey, that's an optimal way to invest. I looked at it and said, wait a minute, if you actually look at periods where interust rates actually not just go up a little bit and then come back down, but actually go up and stay up, how does that affect bond portfolios?
Speaker 1: How does that affect the overall balanced portfolio?
Speaker 4: And so I said that we needed to be prepared for that, and that's what was the starting point.
Speaker 1: The second though, was this behavioral component, and I.
Speaker 4: Just said, look at the end of the day, you know, we've kind of lost touch with what the customer actually is asking us to do. And the customer wakes up and says, look, what I care about is I want to know when I wake up, I'm going to be okay. And you need to be in the business of serving me on helping me solve that question.
Speaker 1: Am I going to be okay? And like a pension plan, you.
Speaker 4: Should have a liability a goal, and you should have an input, which is your portfolio, your savings program and your portfolio all designed around are you going to be okay?
Speaker 1: And I felt that, you know, the idea that you.
Speaker 4: Know, we should wake up and say, hey, we're here to beat the S and P five hundred or we're here to beat some benchmark was a silly concept. All that matters to a customer is am I going to be okay? And everything we do every day should be in service of that. And so that's how I always looked at it, and the principle of the design of an investment firm should be around the kinds of programs and asset strategies that help an advisor build better portfolio to answer the question of am I going to be okay?
Speaker 1: With their customers?
Speaker 2: So I have so many different ways to go with this that I'm very enthusiastic about. Maybe we'll put a pin in the whole idea of out of sample testing because everybody is so framed by it's not just their own hindsight bias, but the recency bias of what they just experienced entirely has such a big issue. But let's stick with the concept of behavioral finance and the sixty forty I have gotten a lot of pushback for saying, if you're in your twenties, thirties, forties, do you really need bonds if you're not going to retire for well, twenty something year old might not retire for fifty years. Yeah, there's some emotional salve from some ballast that's uncorrelated and doesn't have the volatility of equities. But if I go back in time, forget what the market did. If I was twenty today, I wouldn't own a single bond, and if I was seventy five today, I would own a whole lot more tax premunis. So raises the question, sixty forty does that make sense for a forget twenty year old, for anybody under fifty.
Speaker 4: It's actually a really important question, and in many cases the answer is.
Speaker 1: No, you don't need bonds.
Speaker 4: And you know, the reality of it is that if you look at the last five six years, bonds wouldn't have done you any good. And so you know, especially if you're in an environment like we're in right now, where you know the greatest risk right now to a portfolio oftentimes is the volatility the uncertainty and interest rates and inflation, and so I think it actually the return this was logical in twenty eighteen twenty nineteen zero.
Speaker 2: Right, You go from nineteen eighty twenty twenty forty years of bonds.
Speaker 1: Of phenomenal Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a unique.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But the thing that was the thing that was the big driving for us was the movement between the seventies to the eighties when interest rates spiked into the teens. That was the thing that's set up, of course, the next forty years of declining interest rates, and so you have to step back and have that context.
Speaker 1: It's just like timing the market.
Speaker 4: The reality is that if you had bought in the mid seventies, you would have had a horrible experience.
Speaker 1: Right with that portfolio structure.
Speaker 2: There's pre and post pull fulker that's the defining But it's.
Speaker 4: Actually different that it's pre and post the economic situation that was happening that led to an inflationary spike that we ultimately had to address, and that was what you were dealing with. But to your point, recency bias drove people to believe that this was the optimal way to invest. I think for an individual, again, it goes back to Okay, Yes, equity is a hope based strategy.
Speaker 1: Investing is a hope based strategy.
Speaker 4: And when you're in your twenties and thirties and forties and even potentially you know, fifties, because you know, I'd say call it twenty years before retirement, call it like a pension plot. T minus twenty years anything T minus twenty years plus is a lot of You have a lot of room for hope. Hope is a wonderful thing that you should take advantage of because you know, ultimately you want strength and momentum, and you have the time to get it right. But once you get into that T minus twenty period, that's the period where you better have some structure and discipline to what you're ultimately achieving to get to T. Because the one good thing is you can move T T can move. That's the time of retirement that can move. You could say it's sixty five, but if you really needed to and your advisor said, hey it's a bad time, you need to move to sixty seven, you can move to sixty seven. A it's going really well, we can move to sixty three. But T minus twenty is a really important window where structure discipline in your portfolio has to be designed. Everything before that, Absolutely, you can take as much hope as you want, you can take as much risk as you want, because you haven't entered that window.
Speaker 1: That's how I look at it.
Speaker 2: Really interesting as someone who's partial to the math and science half of my brain, I'm curious how you reconcile the rigorous, structured environment of being an engineer, Like there is an internal logic and a set of hard mathematical principles that govern that. How do you reconcile that with the squishy emotional side of all of Dannie Kahneman's teachings, which is, hey, this is just how we are built. We weren't made for this sort of decision making.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the beauty of when you marry the first principles, you know, call it linear kind of thinking around what engineering can do, and then you apply that with the nonlinearity of human behaviors. It's actually a phenomenal. We call it a mixture of thinking. And that's what you want. You want those multiple inputs to basically change your mental model of how to design and think. What I love about engineering in general is it is a reverse engineering mindset is going back to the hypothesis a scientific method, right, which is I have an idea of what the answer will be, but I'm going to do everything I can to prove that. So if you apply that to any problem, which is, hey, i'd like to solve for this problem, I have an idea of how to solve it, and then you reverse engineer how to ultimately get there, or you build around a scientific method of it. It's a wonderful way to approach problem solving in general. And then if you bring in the input. So one of the things we did a purpose is we've actually brought on behavioral scientists to actually support the organization in the way we think about product design, the way we think about marketing, and all the things that we do, because it actually helps influence the mental models and the way that we make decisions.
Speaker 1: Those are really powerful.
Speaker 4: So I just believe it's goes back to that original comment abound the creative mind and the call it structured discipline and mind. I think you bring those two together, it's a very powerful mixture to build with.
Speaker 2: Really interesting. So we've been speaking for an hour and artificial intelligence has not come up, which I think is a first this year. How do you think about AI from a managerial perspective, how do you think about it from an investment perspective? What do you see the impact of this going forward? Especially, I appreciate the opportunity to ask someone who's an engineer about this because essentially this is software engineering at the highest level.
Speaker 1: So I've never been more excited in my career.
Speaker 4: I feel a sense of energy in the last nine months, specifically coming into twenty twenty six that I've just been excited about because of what this new technology is enabling us.
Speaker 1: And more importantly, it's not.
Speaker 4: Just how do we build features or you know, solve some problems or create a little bit of incremental productivity. It is about the grassroots, you know, go to first principles of how should we ultimately design the way we work, the way we optimize our business in and around a technology a replatforming. You know, it would be no different than in two thousand if you were going through this period and the Internet was now becoming real and scalable, and you were sitting there as a retailer or any other business saying, if I just think about the historical way to run a business, and I've got this new thing.
Speaker 1: I think you lost.
Speaker 4: Whereas if you actually said no, no, I need to redesign the way I work to this new platform Mobile Era, which was a different one, same thing I did redesign the way we work, and AI is the same thing.
Speaker 1: So we've been at purpose.
Speaker 4: Have been really deeply embedded in the way we operate the company. The first thing is we are effectively driving forward deploy engineering, data science, and product across the whole organization. We are driving into smaller teams and squads. We're rolling that out across everything, and we're driving the company with this mindset that we What a modern organization needs to design around is vulnerability, the ability to have innovation and intelligence moving through the organization constantly and data flowing and communication, you know, and this is on top of, of course, leadership strength. In the past, the organization was all driven by leadership strengths. How good was the leadership And my view is vulnerability and communication are going to be the things that really drive and AI enables for that in a really amazing way. What that is is a system of way you work. So we are doing that in a great way. The same time, though you know, when I look at the industry, we are still stuck in this idea of AI as a feature set. So I'm going to design features. I'm going to design something I used to do that took me an hour. I can do it now in five minutes. Those are really cool. But that's no different than what excelled it for us. You know, you know the accounting industry. You can imagine, you know when excel came, was a little nervous, but then actually adopted it and wanted to do and it created a great value. But what this actually allows for is a way to change the way we operate. And that's what I hope that the industry really leans into more deeply.
Speaker 2: Really really fascinating. All right, I only have you for a couple more minutes. Let's jump into our favorite questions that we ask all of our guests, starting with who are your early mentors who helped shape your career?
Speaker 4: So I talked about Rob or not. And Rob is someone that I care so deeply about. He not only introduced me to his own way of thinking. Rob has a special thing and you spend time with him. Rob is you know, unbelievably intelligent that can go toe to toe with any Nobel Prize laureate, you know, from an academic perspective, but at the same time actually is an excellent communicator and marketer. It's a very rare combination, and he taught me that in such a deep way. So much of who I am was during that format of the years of working alongside and seeing him in motion.
Speaker 1: So he's been an amazing person in my life.
Speaker 4: He also introduced me to his advisory group, which was people like Harry Markowitz, Peter Bernstein, Rick Roll, you know, Keith ambecksh here, some of the most amazing deep thinkers that I got this immersive opportunity to spend time with that just informed so much of my principal thinking at a time when I was very raw and really open to that curiosity.
Speaker 2: It was exciting, really really interesting. I have some hilarious rob or not stories that I will share with you off air. Let's talk about books. What are some of your favorite What are you reading right now?
Speaker 4: So I love books, and autobiographies are one of the things I actually think. You know, people always say learn from failure. I love to talk about learn from success. So how do you learn from people's you know, careers and lifetimes successes. So some of my favorite books An Education of an American Dreamer by Peter G.
Speaker 1: Peterson.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you've read that one. A phenomenal, great story about an individual who of course ended up co founding Blackstone later in life. But just an under the little journey about an immigrant family who.
Speaker 1: Just basically moved.
Speaker 4: He just did unbelievable things and the evolution of a career.
Speaker 1: That's so fascinating. Creativity, inc you know, we're just talking about that.
Speaker 2: I literally just got it delivered two days ago.
Speaker 4: I love that because when I finished that book, I said to myself, if I was to ever write an autobiography about my career.
Speaker 1: I hope it would sound like this.
Speaker 4: It was the creativity of what Ed Katsmill did, but more importantly, the relationship of how he explained his partnership with jobs and the love he had for Steve and the way he was so intricate about that.
Speaker 1: It was just so inspiring for me. I loved it.
Speaker 4: And then you know, I look at some of them, of course, recent books that have just really inspired me around unreasable hospitality. I think one of the greatest business books one of the best business books has been written in the last couple of years. If you haven't read it, it's a critical book. And then I recently finished a couple of years ago. It Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss, and it is unbelievably strong, and in fact, yesterday we had the team from Chris Voss's group come in and train our people on how to apply that type of negotiation skill into our daily way we work. It's an unbelievable way to think about the concept of being comfortable with the word no. We're so afraid to hear no in life and in business, but actually allowing no to become something that lets you get to yes. It's really important, whereas it's so counter to all the things that people had learned through the Harvard programs around getting to yes. It's actually an unbelievable way to think about Nico and.
Speaker 2: One of the people I work with just recommended that book Never Split the Difference. And it's sitting on a pile. I'm holding my hand up this high and I'm like, all right, I'll get around to it one day. I'm gonna have to move that up to the a little higher in the pile. Let's talk about streaming. What are you either watching or listening to, either Netflix or podcasts or whatever.
Speaker 4: We have four kids at home, so you know, my wife and I are always trying to find that hour to stream. The one show that you know has really touched me is the show Shrinking, of course on l TV.
Speaker 1: And it's just the way that the.
Speaker 4: Writer, Brett Rolstein talks about emotions and you know, communicating. It's just such a touching I finish every episode that I think. I'm teary eyed every single time. That's been amazing thing about my wife and I. We love, you know, lots of different shows we just don't get to We have like seven different series that we are in the middle of watching right now. Uh and but but we try to find that time and it's an important time for both of us.
Speaker 2: You mentioned on Reasonable Hospitality. We just finished the final season of The Bear and throughout that show you can see some of the ideas right from that book.
Speaker 4: You see it in season two, you really so much. Yeah, that's when it really becomes prevalent and they of course.
Speaker 2: A little hot dogs and all the stuff they do to go over over and above the call of duty. It's impressive, it really is. So our final two questions what sort of advice would you give to a recent college grad interest in a career in either investing or financial innovation.
Speaker 4: So, you know, I'd say there's two answers to this that are important because we're you know, you got the tension of what's happening with AI around this industry.
Speaker 1: I'll start with the foundations. This is a wonderful industry to be in.
Speaker 4: And if you look at the sort of trajectory, financial services as an industry will continue to grow meaningfully.
Speaker 1: If you're in the wealth industry, it will double.
Speaker 4: In the ESSA management inustry double just in the next ten years by virtue of savings and market appreciation. So you know, as an industry participant, the size of the pie is growing and continuously.
Speaker 1: So that's a really good thing too.
Speaker 4: You've got an aging demographic of individuals in the space, you know, advisors of constantly aging, and so there's a huge opportunity for younger talent to come in and so that's an awesome setup to be in the business. The principle I'll go back to is it's an amazing place that has high mission. But I want young people if I was to come into it, to really focus on how do I achieve this to help conduct the customer truly win, as opposed to the historical mindset of I'm here to basically manage money and do.
Speaker 1: All these things.
Speaker 4: And I think there's a really amazing opportunity to do that in a great way and approach it if I take the tension of AI. You know, there's always this question of like what's it going to do to the advisor industry or the investment industry, And I look at it as only enabling. If you think about the opportunity for a young person today, this is going to to be an unbelievable period. The way I would approach this, though, is recognize as a young person that a career in any financial service or any career is not a sort of a set of stairs. It's actually looks more like a J curve, and you're going to have to go through very difficult periods that look very uncomfortable, where you look like you're not doing great to ultimately see this great outcome. And that comes from curiosity, learning and immersing yourself to ultimately take risks and do really important things. It's an unbelievable time right now, I think as an individual and a young person coming into this space.
Speaker 2: Good answer, and let's jump to our final question, what do you know about the world of investing, of ETFs, of again, of financial innovation today might have been useful twenty five years ago when you were really ramping.
Speaker 4: Up Well, I mean, I think that I go back to the constant learning of how behaviors and emotions really drive outcome. And I wish, you know, I'd learned that earlier. I wish I'd kind of been exposed to it. I think the most important thing, though, is it is this idea of how do we help truly solve problems along the journey of a customer. How do we put the customer and their moment of need at any point, whether they're twenty five, forty five, sixty five, or eighty five, and ultimately help them with the types of services and solutions that drive that. If I had had that principal mindset twenty plus years ago, I think I would have built even more powerful businesses back then. It's really fun to do what we're doing, but I wish we'd done this even earlier.
Speaker 2: Some I am so glad we finally got to do this. We've tried to set this up a couple of times and the dates just kept getting crossed. I'm thrilled you came in to do this. We have been speaking with some say founder and CEO of Purpose Investments. If you enjoy this conversation, we'll be sure to check out any of the six hundred and fifty discussions we've had over the past twelve years. You can find those at iTunes, Spotify, Bloomberg YouTube, wherever you get your favorite podcasts. I would be remiss if I didn't thank the correct team that helps put these conversations together each week. Alexis Noriega is my video producer. Joan Russo is my researcher. Anna Luke is my podcast producer. I'm Barry Ritoults. You've been listening to Masters in Business on Bloomberg Radio.