Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Wednesday, September twenty seventh, twenty twenty three, season nineteen, episode number forty. Welcome to the late's edition of The Break. We're alive from that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. We're bringing the energy today. It'll be we will start getting you guys ready for Cowboys versus Patriots, and we're moving past all that negativity from last weekend. It's time to move forward and we'll see where this goes. Hopefully, hopefully the Cowboys learned their lesson last week was a nice shot in the mouth, and hopefully they wake up and get themselves back on track this week. Brian in the show today is going to give us a good overview of Cowboys offense for No Atriots defense. We're going to talk a little bit about some things that went right last weekend. We didn't really do that this week. On Monday and Tuesday, we spent a lot of time on what went wrong, but there were a couple of things that were really good from the Cowboys standpoint in that game. On Sunday, we'll detail some of those. And let's start first though, with updates on where we are from the standpoint of injuries. Patrick Walkers through what we're what we're looking for this week, what we who are the players that we need to keep an eye on with regards to injuries.
Speaker 7: Well, we're talking about first and foremost of three starting offensive linemen Tyron Smith, Tyler Battish and Zach Martin.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jones.
Speaker 7: This morning, he was tight lipped about it on one O five three FM The Fan. Mike McCarthy was tight lipped about it in the press conference on you yesterday, and I expect he will be again this morning. Which waiting to see what happens. Today's gonna be the first week of practice, a first day of practice, I'm sorry for Week four against the Patriots. We'll see who's expected to do what and who does what. But there's a chance if you go back to what Stephen Jones told one O five three FM The Fan a couple of days ago, it is possible that the Cowboys see a whole offensive line going in against the Patriots. He did kind of give a caveat and saying, you know, let's see how the week goes. Obviously that goes without saying, but he did make that clear. But he did say, quote unquote, there's a possibility. So I do expect that, you know, multiple guys on that three man front we're talking about Tyler, Tyron and and Zach will get some work, maybe as early as today. But we'll see as far as any other injuries, they're all in the same breath right now. We're just waiting and see and but those are the top three guys. Obviously, Donald came back last week, and you know, he had his ups and downs. Make sense, he hadn't played, you know, since he suffered the CAF strain in early in training camp. But yeah, so offensive lineman, we saw what happened when they were out. Offensive line didn't lose the game, but it impacted McCarthy's play callings. So hopefully those guys get back so we can see this verticality with this Texas Coast offense.
Speaker 3: Worry about Beyondish in this one, you know, because of Patrick's right, we'll see. But we've also thought about with Tyler Smith, if you're just playing the game of how things have kind of worked, you know through three weeks of the season, when it comes to these injuries and it's a hamstring and it's this and that, and you're just like, oh, it's minor, it's okay, it's you know, we'll be fine here, Yeah, it will. But we've also seen these guys miss two three games also, so I would keep an eye on Beyondish this week and see how much did he really practices like that Smith and Martin, you know, those are the ones I think that are probably further along than what Tyler Beyodish is.
Speaker 8: So with one of the comments that have prompted this whole injuriesuation, with McCarthy saying, I forgot exactly what he said, but something in the lines of the backups needing more practice time, yeah, and feeling comfortable, which is that was That's just my initial assumption with any backups, you're getting quote unquote the amount, type, or quantity of reps that you would need in case you have to go into a game, but as far as and I doubt it's this week because a lot of those injuries are on standby, but moving forward, once they become healthy and you got the starters again, in case a scenario like this happens again, like how do you manage like how do you split the the reps in practice and to give everybody the amount rep?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is this is what happened. And I think I think McCarthy got caught short on all the injuries happened late in the week, So now he's thinking, Okay, well I'm gonna have my guys to do this, and all of a sudden it's like, oh wait, you know Martin's out, us out. Now he's compromised. Now his game plans compromised. Now he's thinking like, well, damn, I didn't get the other guys ready. What happens when you watch practice is they'll have it's broken down to where they'll have a red zone period. Offense gets eight snaps in the red zone. Defense gets eight snaps in the red zone, and they kind of work with each other the practice there. The problem with that is usually when the starters are involved with the eight snaps in the red zone, it's seven and one. McCarthy's probably now to a point like, listen, I can't do seven and one. I have to think about five and three, four and four. You know, with the way his offensive line is and the way they've had problems with it, it's kind of a wake up call for all his positions. You know, we need to have more guys ready. It's amazing how this team has had to deal already with injuries late in the week, and he's like, well, if this is going to be the trend for us right now, I could do something about it the way I give these guys reps. And so that's where I think he's going. If there's eight plays are gonna run, you're gonna see a five and a three or four and a four. It's not gonna be seven and one anymore.
Speaker 7: And there's also a transaction that kind of hints at what Brian is saying. As far as Beatish is concerned. I mean, you depends on how you want to read the tea leaves. But the Cowboys signed center Billy Price to the practice squad this morning, and when you look at Price, Price was well decorated coming out of Ohio.
Speaker 2: State first round pick. Yeah, first round pick.
Speaker 7: He also earned PFWA All Rookie Team honors in his first year twenty eighteen, I believe. So you know some definitely some veteran talent coming to the practice squad. Okay, so that begs. So now then the question the available, Like I said, it depends on how you read the tea leaves because on one note, you can say, well, why is he still available? Obviously there's probably some some struggles there and he's not one of the premier obviously offensive linemen that are still that you know, hit the free agency market this offseason. Otherwise he's not available to be picked up in late September. But then the other side of that is you're adding a veteran IQ to that backup offensive line situation, whereas you have a ton of youth who've mostly played well when thrown into the fire, but at the same time they could stand to learn, you know, from a guy like Billy Price. But then the other side of that three side, the other side of that is what does this mean anything for Tomer b Beatish's potential availability against the Patriots? Because you also have the brock Hoffman equations. Because Hoffman has been now elevated three times, so there's also that could just be transaction to transactions. So you know, again, we'll see how it goes. But I'm also with Amber when it comes to these late week injuries. We're having this conversation on Wednesday. I don't like Thursdays anymore. So you know, let's I'm not going to dig into any optimism or anything like that until we have Friday morning show and I see that there was not some.
Speaker 2: Mystical Thursday injury that largely.
Speaker 8: Impact with Zach retiring with Saturday, well, but even with Zach all week in practice, but we still we're hearing, oh.
Speaker 3: No, he's on our show on one O five three the Fan on Thursdays and everything's good exactly. Yeah, and everything's good, and everything's fine, and so you honestly, you don't know until you guys get on the plane Saturday or they practice on and that and that's and and I just think that this is a this is a this is a difficult trend. You know, this has happened. Now we're before the season and now you've had to deal with late week injuries, and I don't I don't think it's anything McCarthy's doing practice wise. Heck, he gives him Fridays off. You know, he really doesn't practice. I mean he does a walkthrough on Saturday. So yeah, there are things that he he likes to go out there and practice pads and they're outside today. It's a warm day, so you know he's into that kind of stuff. But man, I mean, you got to practice. You know, if you're stepping on other guy trying to get a ball, and you're stepping on a guy's foot, you know that caused you your ankle to be bad or blot your knee. Is that on mccarth football.
Speaker 5: There's injuries built into the game.
Speaker 3: But there's things he could do to help his backup guys. I don't like giving them more work.
Speaker 7: I don't want Ambar mad at me anymore. That's the bottom line. But real quick, McCarthy, whose press conference is running concurrent with what we're doing right now, just got an update that Tyler I'm sorry. Yeah, Tyler Baddish, Tyrone Smith, and Zach Martin will all start with the rehab group today. Cowboys will see how they feel after that. Maybe they get some limited reps, maybe not. I don't think that they would on Wednesday. I think tomorrow will be you know, potential ramp up.
Speaker 2: I see the look on your face. Oh sorry, yeah, that came out. That was written all over your sorry.
Speaker 7: So so expect those three to be in the rehab group on Wednesday, and again we'll see what things look like on Thursday.
Speaker 2: And if they come out clean and better on Thursday.
Speaker 8: I will say this, it's impressive to me. Yes, there's work to be done, but like you mentioned earlier, the game wasn't lost because of the O line and the backups and what they did. They were still able to manage it. It affected how McCarthy called the place and all that, but all in all, talent wise, we've seen it years before when you only got one guy out usually tyrons, and that was it you If you were screwed, that's you know, that's going to be a terrible game. But the crazy part, or the impressive part, I should say, with this coaching staff, despite all these changes, all these moves, they're still surviving and making it work. So we've come a long way from back in the day. And you lose one guy, you lose one guy, Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Port real quick before we go to break I would like to get an assessment of what you guys thought of brock Kaufman, particularly in this game. And I want to talk not not just from the standpoint of how he played as a center, but also he's I assume he was still responsible maybe for making the call, absolutely, but but what did you see there? Do you see anything that stood out to you good or bad?
Speaker 3: I think the thing with brock Hoffman is that he's limited athletically, but he makes up for it in toughness. I was worried about him them putting a guy right on him the whole time and him having to make calls and all that. You didn't see any massive breakdowns in scheme when it came to the rush. Everything was picked up. The one problem they had on fourth down really felt like Dak. They let the furthest guy from the ball go. That's Dak's man. Hey, Dak, we've got everybody in front of us covered. You got to take care of that guy. So I didn't see anything where it was just you know, the twist stunts in front. Usually guys have problems with, you know, to be able to pass the stunts working with other guys. Didn't see that at all. With this guy, you know, he is limited to what he can do because Biondis can get second level blocks and Hoffman's more. But kind of a take the guy right at the line of scrimmage and then make sure that's secure and then hope for the best if he can get to the second level. But his play was was There was some apprehension me about it, but I think if you had to plug him back in, he showed himself pretty well there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, of the pressures that were allowed by the Cowboys on Sunday in Arizona, not a lot of those pressures came up the middle. Not a lot of those pressures were allowed by Hoffman the backup center. So I mean that's my clean assessment of him. I mean, could he have been cleaner and some of his reps absolutely could have. I mean you also look at his age and him being thrown into the fire. But all things considered, I was right there with Brian. I mean, you're lining up nose to nose with you know, a guy who has many more reps in the NFL than you. You would think that Hoffman probably would get blown off the ball at the time or two. I didn't see any reps where he absolutely got decimated at all.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean it was an impressive out of for that look.
Speaker 3: With a running game hit too. There were some plays that went inside the tackle box there that he was able to. You know, those guys did a nice job inside. It's a shame though that they get a sack because of the waggle, the boot, the naked you know, they don't get Savior Collins coming down. That's a sack. And then the other one was a dooga. They're trying to double move. So the two sacks that were giving up in that game were really kind of you know, hey, we're gonna try and tricky over here. It didn't work. We're gonna try double move over here. Your tackle, you know, struggles a little bit, and then then your guard struggles a little bit. But other than that, they were pretty clean the way they played.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, we're gonna take our first break when we come back. We were going to jump into the storylines of the week and get into the Cowboys offense versus Patriots defense. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy reay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 7: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy, cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of.
Speaker 2: America Mobile banking app.
Speaker 11: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 7: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 3: It is only available in the English language.
Speaker 11: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 2: Message dat Raisy apply number FDIC.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 3: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 5: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 9: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the souldier to cry out?
Speaker 4: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break, mark your calendars and get your leader hosen and Stein's ready. Let's go leather pants are those leader hoses That means frisk ready. Frisco Octoberfest officially returns for their fourth annual celebration on Saturday, October seventh at the Star of Frisco, featuring Bavarian inspired activities, delicious food and drink, and plenty of great live entertainment. Visit the Star District dot com slash events for more info.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, second segment of the Break. This segment is brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All right, here we go. Let's start first where we start every week on a Wednesday. I want you guys to go around the table. Give me your biggest storyline for the Cowboys heading into Week four of the NFL season. Brian, let's start with.
Speaker 3: You, Bill Belichick against Mike McCarthy, defensive guru versus play caller. That's back in the mix. So that's my storyline this week. Can the Cowboys find a way to kind of put together a really nice game plan to combat a defense that's probably gonna throw a lot of different looks at you. And that's the great thing about playing Belichick. He's always going to have something for you that you didn't see before. Can Mike McCarthy and the staff figure it out move the football this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, same same concern or storyline offensively as it's been since pretty much Week one after week one, but now it's mhanced to another level. I'm not concerned defensively.
Speaker 3: We we did.
Speaker 8: See how they were able to adjust in the second half against the Cardinals, so I trust what Dan Quinn and everybody else can do defensively. But on offense, it's hard to say. I want to see it clicking because I think I'm still unsure that we'll have every single piece of starters out there. It's that's a hard one. That's gonna be tough.
Speaker 5: Here's our injury guys.
Speaker 8: Uh No, But hopefully we can if I can see some improvement at least like creatively, if McCarthy can just kind of change the playbooks a little bit, play more with a lot more confidence, and be a little bit more creative, that's I think the storyline for me what I'm looking for this week.
Speaker 7: For me, and again consistency in the run defense. You did it two out of three times. But here we go. Ezekiel ellis homecoming and a combo between him and Ramandre Stevenson. Stevenson is is a player, he's a gamer. So can this Cowboys run defense bounce back from an atrocious game where they allowed over one hundred and forty yards in the first half against the Cardinals in a quality backfield. And then, of course you have the emotional component of Ezekiel Elliott and he's you know, Jerry didn't want to spoil it today in one oh five three the Fan, But there is likely some type of honoring that's going to happen for Ezekiel Elliott's ring.
Speaker 3: Of honor already ahead of Jimmy Hey, why not?
Speaker 2: So you never know.
Speaker 7: So, I mean, there's gonna be that emotional component for Ezekiel Elliott alongside his talent and ability to make plays, particularly in the red zone. Stevenson he can do it all. He's a home run hitter as well. So for me, it's run defense. How can they bounce back or will they bounce back? And what does that look like against Ezekiel Elliott and his homecoming in Ramondre Steve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good one, all right, what serious? Well, actually it's the same thing of the running running defense, actually was I was just looking this up. Do you guys think the best running back duo they faced so far was Week two against the Jets? Because Bresol and I was like, that's the test, and they passed that test. I immediately thought, Okay, they've solved this problem. And this is what also makes me think they didn't maybe take this running game as seriously as maybe they took the Jets running game. They showed me they could do it against the Jets, and I think the Jets have a better running game. The fact that it didn't look like that this week makes me think they didn't put the level of focus on their running game of stopping their running game that they did against the Jets. You guys agree with that, I.
Speaker 3: Think the way I think you're to the point the thing, I think that Arizona has a better scheme and the way they run the ball, I think with the pin and poll stuff, I don't know why more teams don't try that. And when you get to Philadelphia, because I was watching Philadelphia play New England, last night, You're going to see a lot of the Penn and Poll stuff. And I I think movement affects the Cowboys the way they play run defense. I think it affects their eyes when when they see something going one way, they're taught get downhill as fast as you can. It be a part of the play at the point of attack, and then the ball will bend back and you're like going, wait a minute, where's the backside help here? Where's the discipline to play? So I think it was more of a disciplined problem with Arizona. But the way that Arizona scheme runs the ball, I think that's something if I'm playing the Cowboys, I'm like, man, maybe we could steal a couple of plays here, just trying to you know, our alignment or not having to block these guys one on one. We kind of can do some things to make them take advantage of how aggressive they are trying to get there.
Speaker 5: Do you think also, because Dallas tends to do a lot of slants and a lot of stunts, it also when you know those pin and points, Yeah, it actually runs them into bad situations, like they are rushing toward being in a bad situation and can't recover.
Speaker 3: We talked about the long run that they had when they when they put more in the backfield the receiver. What happened, Sam Williams is like flying up the field and all of a sudden, then you're not set up front, and now you're there's there's like there's hesitation up front. Sam's already up and now you get the guard on the Mike linebacker. There's nobody there. They're playing too deep you know, I mean too deep coverage, not too deep there, but literally there's nobody sitting right there. So I I, yeah, I think that it's to me if that's the one thing about guys like when you would Tank you appreciate about him playing the run game. Tank is not going to let you fool him. You know, he's going to stay like if the ball's going inside, he's going to be able to position where he can make the play where he could you know, he could work back in. He's not four steps up the field and then trying to redirect to get back as the ball's gone. He's going to play the scheme. He knows he knows how to read a scheme, but he knows how to close down and then when he has to make a play or he's chasing from the back side, he knows how to stay flat and then go get the ball. But he sometimes you have to have a feel of how you're supposed to play run defense as opposed and knowing where your fits are, knowing where the guys around your need to be as well.
Speaker 7: You can believe Bill Belichick will look at that Arizona Cardinals for sure, borrow what works.
Speaker 2: I'll try to integrate that into everybody else.
Speaker 5: That's no doubt everybody's.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia plays that way. Philadelphia will test you that.
Speaker 5: That's the NFL. All right, So here's what we're gonna do. Let's jump into the Cowboys offense for the versus the Patriots defense real quick, Brian, before you jump into that, I just want to lay some numbers out there for for our listeners. The Patriots defense right now, very good defense. First of all, they are fifth in yards allowed, only giving up two hundred and seventy yards per game. They are fifth in past yards allowed, only giving up one hundred and seventy seven yards per game. Through the year, they are ninth and rush yards per attempt, only giving up three point six per rush and ninth in points allowed, only giving up twenty points per game. Brian, tell me why they're so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is gonna be an odd front again for you. It's a three man line. They could adjust the front do to their linebackers' ability to play along the line of scrimmage. The majority of their coverages have been Cover three, which is a zone coverage that they use. They'll play Cover one, which is a man coverage. We'll get into that a little bit. Cover two we always talk about it's a safety to two safety split, so we're going to see a little maybe too deep. These are the top three coverages that they'll want run. The zone coverage, the man coverage, and then that too deep look right there. They did play what we call Cover six, which is against the Dolphins. It's kind of a combo of the two and the four. That's how you get the six. It splits the field in half and it's a good blend of zone and man. So they're kind of trying to show you one thing, but it's really on the other side they're playing another. So you're kind of like, oh, wait a minute, this looks like a cover too. No, wait, it's they're playing zone. Oh they're actually playing man over here. It's really good when it helps you defend the run, you know, because there's but against like a short passing game like the Cowboys have, it's kind of a coverage could get them in trouble. They did it against the Dolphins, didn't do it against the Eagles, or didn't do it against the Jets. So there was something that they were worried about in the Dolphins game that allowed them to say, Okay, we got to play a little bit of this mix of man and zone right there. It's the defensive line you mentioned it. It's not one of these really household names of guys, you know. It's Goutshaw who he hurt his ankle. He's a defensive tackle, Devid Goushaw. He heard his ankle in the Jets game. He was knocked out of the game. It'll be interested to see if he could play this week. Lawrence guy's a good player for them up front. Big guy Christian Barmore is another guy. Barmore had four pressures four quarterback hits in that Dolphins game. So there's a defensive tackle that can win inside and then get pressure on your quarterback. So I think you need to kind of account for him in that area. Well. Dietrich Wise is a long, rangy veteran, kind of an edge player. He's a better one player than he is passed. So if you're running the ball to one side, maybe you want to run it away from Dietrich Wise. He's a little bit one of those guys that kind of has a feel for how to play. The linebackers are the heart of this defense, and it starts with Matthew Jerdon Jerdn. He's listed as a linebacker. He's kind of more of an edge but he's very similar to what they do with Micah Parsons, and he's gonna move around all over the place. They're gonna find the best possible matchup for him. You'll see him rushing from all those different spots. He can attack the edge, he can win against blocks. He's got some power to his game. He could be a little slippery in the way he plays, and they put him inside, he can kind of like go and then avoid and then get in on the play. They're gonna need to account for him on a lot of different fronts when he's lined up again. He's like Micah in the way they move him around. They did. He did a great job in that Dolphins game I mentioned two sacks, two quarterback hits. Josh Ucci is another player that is a linebacker, very explosive. He has the ability to get up the field in a hurry. Like Jordan, he could be really disruptive in the way he goes about lining up all over the field. He gets the blocker on his first step. He causes problems in that way. So he's a guy that got a couple of guys that can rush the passer. Juwan Bentley is the veteran linebacker. He's the thumper, He's the big guy. He's the guy that plays with some pop. He's a downhill player. He's always attacking the line of scrimmage. He's always got to be careful about him. He could read it, shoot the gap and then make a tackle for loss. So physical, you know, be ready if you not just go up and try and just bump him. This guy's going to try and run over you in that regard. So does a good job of finishing when he gets in position. The Patriots secondary is an interesting one because they got a star in the making with a rookie Christian Gonzalez, who was from Oregon. Actually he's a local kid. I think he's from Hebron High School over here. But he's a tech. His kid starting Colorado and then went to Oregon, and but he is a The Patriots are the staff as they've put him in some seriously high leverage spots when it comes to coverage with this. In the Jets game, he shadowed Garrett Wilson sixty percent of the game. He played press man coverage and Nam forty three percent of the time in those games. So there you go, right there, big time coverage to rekill the week before, he shadowed him sixty percent of the time of the game twenty nine percent press man coverage in those games. The Eagles went after him. In the first game, they targeted him twelve times. They had eight receptions ninety for ninety nine yards. I would expect that Gonzalez is going to travel with Ceedee Lamb in this matchup. You'll see it. I mean, that's it's it's clear. They just said, okay, you go with him, and you know what, it doesn't matter if Lamb goes in the slot, Gonzales will go in the slot with it. So it's not just like, oh wait, we can get him off him if we put Lamb in the slot. No, Gonzales will go down inside and play there. So this guy's a sticky, relentless cover man. He's got movement, he's got elite ball skills, really really good player. Miles Bryant plays on the other side, opposite. He's gonna flip when they travel, and he'll also kick inside in the slot when the Patriots go nickel. He defends the ball well. He puts himself in good position to make plays. Movement, redirection skills are solid with this guy. You got to be aware of him blitzing off the slot. Sometimes they'll play him tight and then all of a sudden, it's a slot blitz. That's how they get some they get some additional pressure that way. Their safeties are Kyle Dugger, I think is better than what Jabrill Peppers is. Dugger is better of the two. Like I said, the staff uses him in a unique way. He'll play deep like half the time, he'll play down in the box a quarter of the time, and then sometimes you'll see him actually go in the slot and play. So they feel like that he could cover in a lot of different ways. Before he was they didn't use him that This is kind of new for how they've used him, and you'll occasionally get him on the blitz. So that's you know, Jabrill Peppers, I mentioned him. He's a veteran player. He's got a number of tackles, but you'll also see times where he misses tackles. He'll be in space and all of a sudden, the balls come in to the edge and he's trying to wrap up and he gets knocked off and then he's on the ground. That's happened to him a couple of different times. So, but he's the one guy that they like to bring on the blitz. I mentioned about Kyle Duggart coming, but Peppers is the guy that they'll rush generally opposite though they'll try to stunt and then they'll bring him off the edge. So it's a good defense. It doesn't have a lot of household names, but the one you need to know about is Christian Gonzales, the corner from Oregon. He is a very very talented player that again they use in a lot of those high leverage situations.
Speaker 7: No, I was gonna say, it's a defense that as great as they are, the weakness there is they don't excel at taking the ball away. They don't take the ball that we will. They have only two takeaways over the first three weeks. One is a Christian Gonzales interception. Unthough there's the fumble recovery against Jalen Hurts to open the season. So they are good at all three levels. Like Brian said, linebacker corps very good, most certainly the heart of that. But they also are still without Jonathan Jones. We'll see if Jonathan Jones, the cornerback, returns this week. He's not played since Week one as he deals with an ankle injury. So they're down one of their outside starting corners there, so maybe a point of attack there, particularly if you see that Belichick is deploying a strategy that has Gonzales shading cd lamb. Okay, well, here's Brandon Cooks. It's time for a big game, and this is where you have optimism after. This is where you also have optimism after seeing Michael Gallup come on strong against the Cardinals, because now it seems like the Cowboys have figured out what Gallup looks like in the Texas Coast offense, which was a question that we had you know, last week or a couple of episodes or so ago. So I think that outside of Gonzales and I tweeted this after that interception, Gonzales is as advertised, you are going to have to be careful with targeting him. But if Jonathan Jones is inactive, and then that brings up backups on the outside, on the other outside, maybe you target them, have Cooks line up against him and say beat them to death, right, Michael Gallup, beat your guy to death. So the secondary, like you talked about with Jabrill Peppers, he'll take risks, it'll cause him to be over aggressive in his tackling angles, he'll miss those tackles and ceedee. Lamb has some some real history with Jalen Mills with the Wave. You remember that, Yeah, right, So, I mean you know he can Jalen Mills can be had as well.
Speaker 2: He got fined fined something.
Speaker 5: Because it was at the end of the Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So the point of attack the Cowboys offense, hopefully they have you know, if they're not holding on the offensive line, hopefully they have at least two of those guys back, which would be Zach and Tiring is what it looks like, right, now because you're going to have a challenge with that defensive front, but you can attack the secondary anyone not named Christian Gonzales.
Speaker 5: How is Gonzalez in the slot because obviously if you're gonna if he's gonna travel with with CDs, he's gonna be in the spot a lot.
Speaker 3: The ball didn't go his way. I mean, that's it. They bring Tarik Hill down there in the slot, and that's where he was, and he's able to stay with him the move.
Speaker 5: He's stay, he stay, He'll go to the slot and he'll play it well, he'll play it.
Speaker 3: He'll absolutely he's just a really good defender. Yeah, he's comfortable playing it. Any spots you can't run away from him, you.
Speaker 2: Can't get away long and his stride.
Speaker 3: This is the fun thing, though, if you go back and I looked at something because of the next gen opportunity that we have here in our building. I love this because I went back and looked at Dak Prescott and how when they played the Patriots, and that's just one of Dak's best games I think he's ever played. He was thirty six of fifty one for four hundred and forty five yards. The overtime game. Remember he hurt the calf on the last play. I was curious about how they played him, how they played coverage against him, just to see if Belichick's like, listen, we can't do this. This guy killed us in this area they had. He dealt with nineteen pressures in this game, no sacks. They played fifty five percent man coverage in the game. Dak was seventeen of twenty eight for one to ninety three, three touchdowns in the game, had the lone interception there forty five percent zone coverage. He was nineteen of twenty three for two point fifty two. He played Cover one against him. That's that single high look. They played Cover three with him, which is we talked about is kind of a zone coverage area. They played Cover two only twelve percent of time. They played this Cover zero, which was no safety help man all the way across the board. Prescott had three touchdowns in that game when he played against and then only played the coverage ten percent of the time. Dak played it perfectly in that game. No safety help, no help in the middle of the field, true man to man defense. It's designed to get a lot of pressure. They didn't get the pressure, they didn't get the sacks and Dak ate them alives Belichicks might look back at that game in life, Hm, maybe we don't want to do this to this guy in this protect time. One of the best games that Dak's played in his career.
Speaker 5: Traditionally, when you see cover zero, that means there's also blitzing going on. Yeah, and one thing we know about Dak is traditionally Dak is really good against the blitz. He usually plays really good against the blitz. So that doesn't shock me. I hope they bring the blitz. You actually want them to bring the blitz against this quarterback because I think he's really good in those situations. All Right, we're going to take our final break. We will come back and we'll talk a little bit. I want to talk a little bit about Zeke Elliott and what he meant to this offense last year and if the Cowboys may in some respects miss him this season with the issues that they're having in gold to gold situations and in short yardage situation. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 9: Radyo Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah. Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hover. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your areas. He att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area.
Speaker 3: And remember, at.
Speaker 13: Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 11: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: They see Champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break Beaman, need to do something about that throat.
Speaker 14: Uh Join us at Miller Lighthouse at at and T Stadium on October seventh and eighth for the world class barbecue from pitmasters across the country while enjoying live entertainment and librations.
Speaker 3: That's the right libation, librations, libations at the Q. At the q Bbqfest Dallas this October, the only thing hotter than the Dallas Cowboys will be thirty thousand pounds of brisket, chicken, pull, pork and ribs smoking at Miller Lighthouse when some of the biggest names in barbecue come together at Q Barbecue Fest. Tickets are on sale now at SeatGeek dot com, the official ticketing provider of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I'm such a well.
Speaker 3: At and T Stadium. I'm sorry, and the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I'm such a food because as you're reading that, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Like, man, that was a terrible reading.
Speaker 5: Man, God, I wish all right, let's jump back in. Let's talk a little bit about Zeke Elliott. He will be returning this week with the New England Patriots. It was a really I mean, you look at Zeke's career here, I think cowboys got everything that they wanted out of him. I think you can, you can question the contracts and all that kind of stuff, but I think while he was here, he was a very, very very productive running back for them. But check out some of these numbers I looked at. I looked up from the standpoint of gold to go situations. Last year. There were thirteen times when he got the ball in goal to go situations. Eight of those times he was in the end zone at a sixty two percent. It's way better than where they are right now when they're in goal to go situations. He was only stuffed one time, which is another stat you look at, was he hit behind the line scrimmage? Tackle behind line scrimmage? He's only stuffed one time, but eight of the thirteen times he ended up in the end zone. That would have made him third in the league behind Jamal Williams and Jalen hurtson what they do in Philadelphia where they just basically push the Christian zone. Right, that being said, does Dallas miss Ezequielae this year?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a simple question or simple answer. Absolutely. We talk about I mean everything that you just mentioned right now. There's nothing else I need to point out other than what you said, the stats and everything that we've seen in the red zone, I think that I don't know the total amount of times, but I think they would have been a lot more effective in the red zone if Ezekiel Elliott was there as a running back. Now that's not to say that the guys that they currently have are not doing a good job, because they are in credit to them, but it's a totally different type of running back, and I think that's why last year it worked so well him with the combination of Tony Poler and then finally being able to find the right balance between the two and playing them to what their strength are, because we know Zeke doesn't have the same type of explosiveness anymore as a guy like Tony Poller and being too able to make those cuts escape, but vice versa, like Tony doesn't have the same strength that Zeke has. So I do think they miss him. I still don't think going back and looking at it now, it would change like you had to make that decision. It's what I'm trying to say, like it had to be that way, But they do miss a guy like Ezekulative. But I think with the talent that they currently have, if they start scheming things differently and coming up with different plays, I still think that they can be more effective and make it work with the guys that they currently have. So at some point I don't think you would need a guy like Zeke if you change things up, but currently, yes, it would be freaking nice to have.
Speaker 7: I'll first say that, you know, I love Zeke to death, and I was a proponent of keeping him on this team. But given and it's a small sample size, it's only three games, I think that what they missed from Ezekiel Elliott is that comfort, that security blanket and knowing that this is the situation goal to go, this is who we're going to hand it off, and they haven't figured out yet who that person will be. That's where I think the issue is not necessarily that you missed Ezekiel Elliott down there, but we talked about, for example, handing it off to Peyton Hindershot instead of maybe giving it to Hunter lip Key.
Speaker 3: There's there's my who.
Speaker 7: Has the power, who has the stature to give you that short yardage. So when I start seeing that, if I start seeing that, then I can say, Okay, well what's the hunter, what's Hunter lip Key's effectiveness and success rate with Gold and Gold in short yardage versus Ezekiel Elliott's success rate, and then we could say, well, they do or they do not miss Ezekiel Elliott. So for me right now, I just think that they missed the comfort of knowing that if you're in gold to gold, if you're in short yardage, you just hand it to the hammer. But the reality is they haven't established who the hammer is, and I think it might and should be Hunter Lipke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is how much is your goal line and that red zone package or a short yardage package? Where is it worth? Fourteen fifteen sixteen million dollars a year too?
Speaker 2: That's really what it came down to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean all of a sudden, you know, and now, okay, then you move on from him, and then you want to resign him. Say well, okay, you resign him for four million. Well he's already counting eight millions in dead money, maybe more than that. So you're basically paying like twelve million dollars to have Ezekiel e La back here. I don't know why, And I think we're going to come to this point where to me, they're going to hand the ball to Hunter Lipkey. Hunter Lipkey is in to me. I there are things about Key when they've talked about him being a fullback that I'm like, I've never seen this guy block. And there's times where he's been a good blocker and there's other times where he's not been as good. But the one thing you can't discredit Hunter Lipky for is his toughness and carrying the football. Third and one, nine yard run with a loaded box, He's going to find a way to go forward. He's going to find a way to knife through there, get a yard, get two yards, get whatever he has to do. They could, as Ambar says, they could scheme up things, but you can also, like I say, just hand him to Dan ball going straight ahead. He's proven to me just watching him play, whether it's the game against the Raiders in the postseason where not the postseason, but the preseason where he had all those carries. He's his vision, His ability to make things happen is impressive in his power, and the power is impressive. You don't need to hand the ball to Ezekiel Elliott at four million dollars a year when you got a guy that's very very capable of doing the same thing. And I'm I think we're gonna get to the point where Hunter Lipkey is going to become that guy where they you put him in the backfield just like the Eagles run the tush push. You know, we're gonna You're gonna put Hunter Lypkey in the backfield and he's gonna be the guy. That's That's where it's gonna come to North Dakota State again. The state of North Dakota love you. Not happy with me a lot. The state of California is another one that doesn't like me very much, especially in the Bay Area. It's not a fan of mine.
Speaker 5: I agree with you guys. I don't think they're trusting their power run game enough. You look at this last game. There was one play it was it ended up in it. I think it was a negative two yards, but basically they decided they were going to take the left guard and the left tackle and try to basically try to pull them into the center rather than going forward, and basically they left the defensive end unblocked. He runs nice right in and tackles Polo for two yard loss, and I'm like, that's just getting cute for no reason, like you want to power ahead. You're in goal to go situations, power the ball in. And I don't think they trust that. They don't trust the backs, they don't trust the offensive line, whatever is. They're not trusting enough in their ability to just power the ball ahead.
Speaker 3: And I want to see some of that, and let's.
Speaker 5: See if you really miss Zeke Elliott or is a situation where you don't trust these other factors right now, and that's why the problems are existing.
Speaker 3: I do remember a game last year, and I think I've talked about it on air, where they tried to hand the ball to Pollard on the goal line three straight times and they got stopped all three and then they said they brought Zeke in and it was fourth down and there's a touchdown, right, you know that there's something to that. There's something I think I just do. I think Hunter Lukey has a feel for how to find you one or two yards, you know, and and it's just just give him the opportunity. He will make do for you if you if you give him that opportunity.
Speaker 5: All right, we appreciate you guys, join us. We'll be back tomorrow. We'll get into the Patriots deef. I'm sorry Patriots offense versus the Cowboys defense. Still then for Patrick Walker and Brian broad Us in Ambergarcia, I'm Derek Eagltanes has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.