Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind.
Speaker 3: My name is Robert Lamb and I'm Joe McCormick, and we're back with part two in our series on headless gods and monsters. This is a topic that we had talked about getting into for the Halloween season, but we never got around to it, so here we are turning things in late. So in part one, we talked about the biological origins of the Biletian head and about what factors probably drove our ancestors hundreds of millions of years ago to start concentrating nerve cells and sense organs and mouth parts all on one end of the body, and of course this is the development that would eventually turn into our faces and our brains. We also talked about stories of gods with no heads and cultures around the world, and today we're back to talk about some more headless ghosts, monsters and dubious historical claims of people who naturally have no heads or have heads located inside their torsos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as we discussed in the last episode, no matter what direction you approach the topic from, it ends up being clear that like this idea of something without a head, it captivates us. It forces us to think and rethink various ideas about like what a person is, what an entity is, where a volition comes from, and so forth. So yeah, getting here into the idea of roughly speaking, the diabolical headless, there are any number of headless monsters and ghosts and global traditions we're probably not going to cover. We're definitely not going to cover all of them. We may leave out by error some key examples. And so if we do skip such a headless entity from folklore mythology right in, we'd love to hear from you, you know, especially if it's a situation where head and or body continue to live on afterwards. I guess you could roughly throw Medusa into that category, though we did a whole series on Medusa back in the day, so refer back to those if you want to hear about Medusa's head. I think it's also, you know, I think fair that we might presume that a lot of these different ideas have to do with, at least in concerning some of like the ghosts we're going to be talking about and so forth, taboos against the burial of incomplete remains also thoughts about beheading as a form of execution, So keeping all that in mind, that we'd bring up the first one here. And this is a pretty big one, especially when we start thinking about things like the headless horsemen from the legend of Sleepy Hollow. We have a creature from the Scottish Highlands. The name means the headless trunk, and I'm probably gonna butcher the pronunciation here, but colun gun Chen. It's said to haunt the Isle of Sky and it leaves women and children alone. But if it happens upon a male traveler at night, especially anyone who's out there on their own, well then it's going to brutally attack. In Dictionary of Celtic Mythology, James McKellop describes it as a form of boken or hobgoblin. He writes it it's often thought of as a tutelary or protector spirit of the McDonald's of Morale in the Western Highlands.
Speaker 3: Is there a commonly understood explanation of why this ghost is headless or is it just kind of that's the way it is.
Speaker 2: I'm not aware of a particular origin story here, but I could be missing something, by the way. He also writes of the Irish death coach and points out that the driver and or the horses are sometimes described as headless, and indeed sometimes it was called the headless coach, and it is sometimes driven by the headless phantom Dolahan.
Speaker 3: Doulahan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the Delahan is the headless horseman of Irish folklore, and this one is I think often held up as the clear inspiration for the headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow. M Coloup describes it as indeed often riding a headless horse or driving the coach that we already mentioned, and sometimes that coach is made out of bones. There are a number of grizzly details regarding the coach that sometimes are left out of retellings. It actually does have a ghoulish head that has been removed from its body, described as a great chunk of moldy cheese with darting eyes.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is evocative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean it makes it sound like, Okay, the head is definitely dead, I guess, but again supernatural being so I guess anything is fair game. The dula hand is said to take this moldy cheese head off for shock, and may throw it around like a ball, so one can imagine, you know, sort of like bouncing it off the shoulders or something, or dribbling it like a basketball.
Speaker 3: Oh, this reminds me of something I read that I couldn't find a great worse for this. But allegedly, the the ghost of the English archbishop William Laude, who is believed to haunt Saint John's College in Oxfordshire, is said to sometimes either kick his head around like a soccer ball or bowl with his own head. But like I said, I couldn't find a great looking source for that. But that is a claim I've read attested.
Speaker 2: I mean, the human imagination just can't help. But go there right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now you might hearing this tale of the Dola h and you might think, well, if this character comes riding around, I've got to see this. This sounds impressive. Well, you were advised not to. If he comes riding around, don't peek out through a crack in the door the window, because he has a whip. Sometimes it's said to be crafted from a human spinal column, and he will crack it at you and if he catches your eyes it'll blind you.
Speaker 3: Why am I calling to mind, like an evil version of Santa Claus who catches the children peaking on, you know, on Christmas.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like that, you know. I mean, there's and I think we can all kind of relate to that idea of the supernatural. Like it's one thing to hear tales of the supernatural, but then do you dare see it? Because once you've seen it, you've crossed over. Right, You're no longer on this side of the stories, You're on the other side.
Speaker 3: And what does that mean for you?
Speaker 2: There are also tales that if he catches you looking peeking out the door, he'll just ride up and throw a basin of blood in your face. Oh yeah, and but but still all that being said, like he still just riding by, the worst thing that could happen is that you'll hear those those hoof falls stop. You'll hear that he has stopped outside your house, that he's lingering outside your house, which of course spells death for those inside or for someone inside, Like he is not just passing through. He has arrived.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I wasn't able to find as many sources on this, but it is said that there is a modern Japanese urban legend variation of the dou Lahan. The Kubanashi Rider or headless Rider doesn't ride a horse, rides a motorcycle. The story is that his head was cut off by a piano wire spanning a roadway, a detail that has been connected to the nineteen seventy four Australian outlaw biker film Stone, which was then released in Japan in nineteen eighty one and would have inspired this urban legend. Apparently, I have not seen this one. I don't know if you're familiar with Stone.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like a very Mad Max kind of detail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in fact, it has Hugh keyes Burn in it, the guy who played in Morton Joe in the most recent Mad Max film and also played what was like toe Cutter I think is his character in the original Mad Max.
Speaker 3: The villain in the first one in the fourth one, but different characters. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now. McKillop also recounts a tale of a beheading game involving the hero kucullin Now the Beheading Game. I think we've talked about this before on the show. This is a literary trope, perhaps best known for its place and on Thurian legend concerning the Green Knight. Basically, the game consists of this, you cut my head off, and then I cut yours off. Sounds like an easy contest until you realize that your opponent can get back up and walk around without a head and will indeed be back to cut yours off later on.
Speaker 3: This is central in the Arthurian story of Sir Cowen and the Green Knight. Sir Gowain is the one who answers the challenge. The Knights of the Roundtable are feasting, I believe on Christmas Day or it's around Christmas, and the Green Knight, this man who is very much identified with nature and seems to be some kind of symbol of like paganism, This Green Knight figure comes in and he insults all of the knights, and he challenges them to this game, this beheading game, and they're allowed to be head him first. So Sir Gawain, the young up and comer, is like, yeah, okay, I'll do it. Yeah, and he cuts the Green Knight's head off, and the Green Knight is fine, he picks his own head up. He's like, okay, now I'll do that to you a year from now today. So You've got to come find me at the Green Chapel, And so there's like it's a morality story about honor and all that that Sir Gawain is like, well, am I going to go do it? And he does. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot more to dissect there, but at heart you do have a story of headless or at least temporarily headless.
Speaker 3: Being I actually, Rachel and I just this past month watched for the first time that that recent Sir Gawain movie that they put out, Sir Gawain and The Green Knight, and I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: Oh cool. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard great things. I've only ever watched the one in which Sean Connery plays the Green Knight.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I haven't seen that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a pretty good Green Knight. Now, in looking around for other examples of headless beings, there's one I ran across that I wanted to bring up that it extends from navago or dnnight traditions. Specifically, it's called the phil Gath. It's a form of annie monster, sometimes translated, especially back in the early twentieth century, as alien gods. Though I feel like that maybe that terminology could be confusing now I'm not sure, but some sort of like gods from the outside, I guess. In her Monster books, Carol Rose describes them as primal monsters, the offspring of wicked women who brought fear and misery into the world, the sons of Sun and Water, and I believe these are the Navajo hero twins slayed these monsters, and according to Rose, their offspring, however, lived on, the monster's offspring lived on to keep cold, famine, old age, and poverty alive in the world even if these, like more primal fears, had been defeated by the heroes. I was also reading that the monsters were slain by na Ye NEZGANI. This is a mythical hero from Navajo lore that is a monster slayer, and I believe is one of the Navajo twins referenced earlier. Gerald E. Levy in his book in the beginning The Navajo Genesis lists the translated names of the monsters killed by the slayer as big Ye, Horned Monster, Rock Monster, Eagle kicks off Rocks, and the Eye Killers. I believe Horned Monster is fel Gath or deal ged, but there's no mention of headlessness here. However, deel ged dell Gath or Phelgeth is listed as a quote unquote Harry headless antelope on the website Native Languagest Native hyphen Languages dot org, which is a nonprofit dedicated to the preservation and promotion of endangered American Indian languages. So that leads me to believe, well, maybe this is some sort of headless entity, at least in some tellings.
Speaker 3: Harry headless antelope. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just another example that this idea of some sort of like headless entity, be it animal or human inform, like gonna touch a nerve, like there is something unnatural and dreadful about it that they were going to we can't help but connect with monstrosity.
Speaker 3: So I was looking for a good book that compiled stories about headless ghosts, and I found a chapter in a book by the well known skeptic and paranormal investigator Joe Nickel called The book is called The Science of Ghosts, Searching for Spirits of the Dead, published by Prometheus Books in twenty twelve, and there's a chapter in this book called headless Ghosts. I have known so at the beginning of this chapter, Nickel points out a few just kind of interesting contradictions, some of which I don't know if I've ever considered before. One is the idea that you know, there are certain kinds of ghost realists, people who think that ghosts are real, independent, extraternal phenomena, and that certain of these ghost realists assert that a ghost is a form of physical energy peculiar to humans or perhaps to animals, that survives death and remains in the environment. And yet for some reason, ghosts are almost always perceived not only as manifestations of the human or animal body, but dressed as they might have been during life. So like, if this energy exists and persists, it also seems to manifest inanimate objects, such as like clothing and uniforms and jewelry other non living objects that ghosts would sometimes carry with them.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. Ghosts tend to wear clothes.
Speaker 3: Along the same lines, some ideas about ghosts as real external phenomena explain them as some kind of lingering mental projection of the original person that persists after death, though this has interesting tension with the number of stories there are about headless ghosts, since mental fling phenomena are pretty well established to depend mostly on the brain, it would have to be a now dead brain projecting not itself into the future, but some kind of three dimensional representation of the part of the body that does not contain it, which is kind of interesting. But anyway, so those little observations aside, he goes on to document several types of stories of headless ghosts. In the United States. There are apparently a number of popular stories about soldiers from the American Civil War, like being decapitated by cannon fire and then wandering the battlefield forevermore as headless ghosts. He also mentions the various headless ghosts associated with the Tower of London in England, including several historical figures who were beheaded on the orders of Henry the Eighth, only a subset of which were his wives, the most famous of the Tower ghosts being Anne Boleyn. But there are also just some other enemies of Henry that end up there. But one of the stories that Nicol courts that really stuck with me involves criminals in medieval Germany. So there is a place in the Rhine Valley called the Reichenstein Castle where a legend says that a headless ghost sometimes wanders in the chapel adjoining the castle, and he describes a visit that he had to this castle to look into the legend. The origin story goes back to the thirteenth century, when this castle was the base of operations for a band of what he calls robber knights. I think, you know, fierce bandit horsemen. And then to quote from Nicol, and this is in part he is quoting from Dennis William Hawke's International Dictionary of Haunted Places. So when the quote comes in, that's what it is. But Nichol writes, quote, in twelve eighty two, they were captured, whereupon their leader, Dietrich von Hohenfels, entreated Emperor Rudolph von Habsburg to spare his nine sons. The emperor stated that Dietrich was to be beheaded, but with his sons lined in a row, everyone he could afterward run past would be spared. When the executioner's sword fell quote, Dietrich's head rolled to the ground, but his bloodied torso stood erect and lunged forward, stumbling and swaying, until it passed every one of his sons. Finally, the headless body fell to its knees, a fountain of blood shooting high in the air where its head had been. The sons were spared, and afterward on the execution site, the repentant family erected the Saint Clement Chapel. According to how Dietrich's headless ghost is sometimes seen inside the chapel. Also quote Dietrich is buried on the property and his red sandstone marker depicts a knight in armor with no head. But Nicol points out that there are several issues with this story. So first of all, this grave marker described wherever it is, it is now lost, or was, at least to the time he was writing this book. Though there is an account of a visit to the site by Victor Hugo, where Hugo claimed that the grave marker was from the fourteenth century, not the thirteenth, and the Dietrich's name was not on it. Also, the account does not square with the history of the bandit Knights of the Castle, where apparently the more reliable sequence of fact seems to be that Dietrich actually escaped and his companions the other robber knights, were in fact executed. They were hanged from trees in the Rhine Valley, and the basic outline of this folk tale about Dietrich seems to go back in earlier form to a story about a fourteenth century German pirate and privateer named Klaus Stortebecker, who was captured and executed for his crimes in the year fourteen oh one. Nicol writes, quote, kneeling before the executioner, he proposed a deal. Quote all those companions should be reprieved whom he could manage to walk by after being beheaded. This way he saved the lives of eleven pirates before the malicious executioner tripped him. That's a dirty trick. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, this talk of headless privateers and so forth. Of course, this brings to mind a modern retelling of this sort of story that I don't think we've mentioned so far, and that of course is Warren Zvon's nineteen seventy eight song roll in the Headless Thompson Gunner, which is an excellent song, wonderfully weird lyrics, a great ballad of headless being in revenge and so forth, but very much from in this sort of vein, you know, instead of a pirate, an international mercenary.
Speaker 3: Right and so there are kind of like these story forms that just keep reappearing in stories about different people in different times and places in history. And Nicol ultimately thinks that the story about d Trick that he came across is probably grafted from this original story about Stordbecker. But in either case, Nicol argued that the story is implausible, like it probably did not actually happen based on what we know about physiology, Like you know, a chicken might be able to run around or walk around a bit after decapitation, but he does not think that a human would do the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it raises all sorts of questions about well, how was he standing when the head was cut off? Like how do you get ready for this attempted lurch across the execution yard to save other pirates?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I don't know the answer there, But one more tangent I went on from Nichol's book. Later in the book, there's a short section on ghost dogs where Nicol brings up the English legend sometimes known as black Shuck, a spectral hound with sort of localized incarnations or tellings in different regions of England, such as Devon, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk. And this ghost dog is said to have black hair and stand as large as a calf, quote sporting glowing eyes even when he is described as headless. And I loved that the image of a canine body that has glowing eyes despite having no head. Now, can you have eyes if you have no head? Well? I think if you're a dog, the answer is probably no, at least plausibly no, without some kind of sci fi Frankenstein thing going on. But if you're another kind of animal, the answer is absolutely yes. You can have eyes without a head. As weird as it sounds, there are animals exactly like that. Just one example I would like to briefly talk about. Are scallops, Oh, scallops, scollops? Which way do you say it? Robin scallops? Scollops?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, a little further back in the Yeah, let's say scollops. Folks, if you are near a computer or are safely able to look at your phone right now, just do yourself a favor and look up scollop eyes. It's like something straight out of a monster movie. There are real unedited photos of scollop eyes that look like they can not be from nature, but they are, so you will sometimes see the shell will be just slightly open, you know, it's mostly closed, but there's a gap in between, and the inside of the shell is lined with a tissue that just has these these pale blue dots all along it, which clearly do read as eyes for some reason, they don't just look like dots. I mean, it looks like they're looking at you. And then in between that there are these tissues that kind of lock together with these spiky hairs that looks like the world's widest monster mouth with infinite teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they're they're terrifying. They also they're so bright in some of these pictures too. They feel like it should be a legend of Zelda in me.
Speaker 3: You know, Yes, that's really good. Yeah. Yeah. You can imagine the treasure chest popping up when you defeat the Scallop. Hey, and if it's in one of the new Zelda games, surely you would end up getting to cook with with the Scallop from it, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I hear all about. I don't play the game myself. My son does, and he tells me all about the different meats you cook, and then of course there's not just going to be one. There's going to be about eight different versions of it, right, with different head features.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can combine the body parts from the different ones to make different kinds of meals. That cooking mechanic is very pleasing. It's always a nice little surprise when you mix something new and it does make a dish. But anyway, scallops are interesting in that their visual anatomy differs substantially from ours. Scallops can, of course, have hundreds of eyes per organism. We only have two. And while our eyes use curved transparent lenses to focus light onto the retina, scallops focus light instead with tiny mirrors made of crystals of guanine. And if guanine's ringing a bell for you, yes, that is one of the four bases found in DNA. That's the one that pairs with seine. Strange fact I just learned while preparing for this episode. Guanine gets its name from guano, as in like bat dung or bird dung, because the compound was found in great quantities in guano, but in its crystalline form guanine, it forms the iridescent component in fish scales and other kind of pearly reflective surfaces in parts of animal bodies, sometimes in reptiles too, Like I believe chameleons, you know, have guanine. But in the case of scallops, scallop eyes focus light onto the light sensitive cells their equivalent of retinas with reflective mirrors made of segmented guanine crystals. I think they're actually square shaped crystal plates. And there's an interesting comparison to be made to technology to human made telescopes, because while the earliest telescopes like those used by Galileo, used transparent glass lenses to focus life into the eyepiece kind of like our eyes do, the most advanced telescopes today actually tend to use curved mirrors instead of lenses as the primary light gathering surface. Wow.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: But if there's one thing I want you to take away from this, it's just go google scollop eyes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, these are amazing images, and it does feel like they're looking right at it all Right at this point in the episode, I want to turn back to this idea that we discussed a little bit in the last episode, this idea of headless creatures but with faces on their chest. So we looked at some examples from like Chinese mythology and Hindu mythology, where you had creatures that have no head, but have but the face is found away, you know, the nipples are pevy eyeballs, and the belly is a great big mouth. The most famous Western versions of these, though, the versions of these sort of monstrous ideas, the ones that cast the longest shadow, are generally referred to. They were referred to by various names by particularly by authors in antiquity, but then going on up through the Middle Ages and so forth. One of the names is the blimys. Another is the cephali, which just means headless. But many of the names that they were, they were that were attributed to them were actual peoples. That were the names of actual peoples that were said to live in remote parts of the known world, or i guess, more specifically, on the edges of what was the known world for the individuals creating maps, writing these various travelogs, and speculating about what sort of life and what sort of peoples there were on the far flung corners of the world.
Speaker 3: And while it's certainly possible that these stories could be based on you know, misinterpreted or misreported observations, things like that that we'll get into. You also really can't help but notice that there would be a natural temptation when describing people who live like in the farthest place place away from you, that you can imagine that maybe they are really different somehow, maybe like they don't even have heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, and that's that's basically the idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there were other monstrous races, to be sure, and you can find various illustrations of these and various books from the time periods in question. They include not only people with faces on their chests and no head, but also one legged people that hop around on one leg and that sort of thing, the so called monstrous races. But this idea goes way back, and you know, will unwrap some of the ideas that have been put forth as to why these concepts emerged and why they had such stickiness in the human imagination. And I do think the human imagination, as always should be, we should keep that in mind as being one of the primary factors here, like people thinking about again, like thinking about the edge of the world, thinking about other planets. We're dealing with sort of a gray area where we can just inject pure imagination. But then on top of that there's the normal telephone game of translations and accounts and some other factors we'll get into. So the Greeks called them the Acephala, or the headless ones. They were also known again as the Blimys, which was the name given to an actual people who seem to have lived in Lower Nubia during the seventh century BCE through the eighth century CE. So to be clear, the actual people that lived there had heads and were not monsters. They were people. But this is the idea that gets passed down through these various writings. Herodotus indirectly mentions the Acephali in the fifth century BCE work Histories, among other exact rated foreign peoples with inhuman descriptions, he refers to quote the headless men that have their eyes in their chests. During the first century CE, plenty of the Elder wrote about them as well in the Natural History, once more referring to them among other exaggerated and or you know, strange accounts of supposed foreign peoples and the far flung corners of the world, writing quote in translation. Of course, the Blimier are said to have no heads, their mouths and eyes being seated in their breasts, and you'll find various accounts like this repeated through the Middle Ages and into the Age of Discovery. You can look at works such as the travels of Sir John Mandivial, the writings of Walter Raleigh, and so forth. They are just more numerous. To mention here in this episode.
Speaker 3: To be clear, you're saying some of the other these like medieval travel writings, described people with implausible anatomy that were you know, this is not really how people's bodies were, but for some reason in some place, these authors would say, yeah, there are people here who they don't have a head, or they have one leg or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I gather that. You know, there are a mix of things going on here. On one level, it's like, well, you know, plenty of the Elder wrote about it, so we're going to repeat that. Of course, you know plenty, as we discussed on the show, plenty has a lot of interesting things to share, some of which have truth, have an element of truth to them, or are you know, accounts of what's happening in the real world. Others are things that he heard and were passed down and don't relay any historic truth, but do tell us something about like the mindset of the time. Now before we get back into the question of where these stories came from and what they may have originally meant, you know, what things could have led to these interpretations entails. It's also I think it's also worthwhile to think about their staying power and usefulness and conveying different meanings, some but not all of which relate to like a general monsterization of the other. And again, I think it's also one of those things where it's imaginative and weird enough, and that alone is a reason that people keep coming back to it, and just sort of like some of the ideas we discussed in the first episode, like we think about creatures with heads and we take it for granted, and then you're presented with a form that's lacking ahead, but it's still alive, Like what does it mean? You can't help but interpret and have these various symbolic interpretations of metaphoric interpretations of what's going on there. So I was looking around for some insight on this general topics pointed out by Husband and Gilmore House in The wild Man, Medieval myth and symbolism. You had cases like that of thirteenth century Flemish writer Thomas de Contemporary, who compared such headless men to lawyers who quote misled clients into unnecessary legal processes and grew fat on inordinate fees. I love that because I can't help but imagine one of these various lawyer billboards you see everywhere on the highways. But instead of having that, you know, smiling dude in a suit, what if you had a belly faced man on them?
Speaker 3: What if Bob Odenkirk's face was on his chest exactly? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Husband and gilmore House also point out that the headless man has also been presented as an image of humility. This is apparently from the thirteenth or fourteenth century texts Guest Romanorum. I consulted this text and I did find the line I think they're referring to. Quote, humility is signified by the absence of the head and the placing of the face in the breast. The text also includes this bit of wisdom, No creature is so monstrous, no fable so incredible, but that the Monkish writers could give it a moral form and extract from its crudities and quidities some moral or religious lesson.
Speaker 3: Ah, this comes back to something we've talked about on the show before that a lot of times when you get these older accounts, especially in say like a medieval Christian context of anomalous beings, they were almost always in the texts where they're documented, used to illustrate some kind of moralistic teaching, and that should in some way color your understanding of what purpose these stories were serving. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this idea of taking a monstrous form using it to relay a point or is this quote is kind of alluding to It's like the monk cannot help, when presented with a strange form, to come up with some sort of theological argument for what it represents. Like one example that I've brought up on the show before is this creature that shows up in some medieval sources. Sorry I don't remember the sources off hand, but I've referred to in a monster fact before of Christ with a long neck and bird's head. And the idea here I remember reading is that it's like, be more like Christ, be more like an individual with a long neck and a bird's head, because then the words that rise up from your heart, well they have longer to have more distance to cover before they reach your lips, before you can speak them, and therefore it is wise and christ like to to approach the world this way and so forth, you know. But then on the other end, it's just an amusing looking illustration as well, because it's clearly supposed to be Jesus, but he has a bird's.
Speaker 3: Head, you know. Just raises questions where I realized that my intuitions are about what somebody would or would not consider sacrilegious or not always correct. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many examples of that, just depictions of Christ, like the three faced Christ that you saw that was sometimes used as a as a way to visually describe some aspect of the Holy Trinity, but also was then viewed as potentially heretical by others, and so forth. Anyway, coming back to the idea of creatures with no heads and faces on their tour, So I guess one of the big questions that comes to mind looking at these images is you know, where does this idea even come from? Because it's one thing to realize that once the idea is introduced, it has a stickiness to it. We can't help but think about it. And come up with reasons for why it could be or what it means. And looking around there seem to be a number of theories, some convincing, some far less convincing, And as always, it's one of these cases where I feel like you could cobble various ideas together and possibly get at some truth, though I would be very hesitant to take even the better theories and lean too heavily on them as like an all inclusive theory, like this is the reason somebody described people on a distant continent as having no head and having a face on their chest. So the first theory I wanted to bring up, and this is when you've seen a number of sources, is the idea that these would have been essentially accounts based on limited observation of certain groups of people, certain tribes or what not from a distance, such as from a ship off of a foreign coast. And you know, I imagine this alone, without the aid of spyglasses, could potentially be enough. But then the idea is that this could have been compounded by modes of dress, such as something worn on the head or specifically the use of some sort of a hood. From a distance, it was apparently argued by seventeenth century German author Adam Ollurius and others that hooded figures might conceivably be interpreted as headless. So if you had a group of people that traditionally wore some sort of headgear, a hood, or what have you, then from a distance you might say, Hey, look at those people standing on that shore. They appear to have no head. Write it down, maybe draw a picture. We'll bring that back at the end of the voyage.
Speaker 3: Okay, I could imagine that. But along the same lines as somebody seeing and misinterpreting clothing or adornment of the body, you would also have to wonder about somebody seeing and misinterpreting somebody with just a particular posture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the one you read about as well. In fact, John Bostock and H. T. Riley chime in on this in their liner notes to their translation of Plenty's Natural History. Something you might think of is good. I think of it as like the warrior stance theory here, And basically they point out quote from a statement in the Ethiopica of Heliodorus Marcus suggests that the story as to the blimier having no heads arose from the circumstance that on the invasion of the Persians, they were in the habit of falling on one knee and bowing the head to the breast, by which means, without injury to themselves, they afforded a passage to the horses of the enemy. Now, I have to admit that is a sentence. I do not fully understand exactly what they're describing there, but I take it to mean that there's some sort of like a uniform posture that certain individuals were said to take on, as some sort of like a defensive posture, a warrior stance, or what have you, that could be interpreted even from a distance, as being people with no head.
Speaker 3: I guess you could imagine a similar thing being that somebody without experience of seeing warriors in a phalanx formation might say, oh, wow, these people, you know, they have a one hundred legs and a hundred spear arms and they're one massive organism because you're unfamiliar with the way that they're grouping their bodies and what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that leads to another I think important thing here is the is again coming back to that telephone game of accounts, and the idea of one source speaking not speaking literally literally about something and then it being interpreted as a literal description of something. So you can imagine somebody saying, yes, it was like they were this beast with one hundred feet and a shell all around them, and then you know, at the end of the telephone game of account, someone is saying they literally use large insects in their back. And so you see some variations on that with the dissection of the of the the headless.
Speaker 3: Entity.
Speaker 2: For instance, seventeenth century Danish physician Thomas Bartholin argued that it was a metaphor that ends up being taken literally in that the people described were, for one reason or another, thought to be headless in the non literal sense. So perhaps they couldn't be reasoned with, or they otherwise conducted themselves in a difficult to understand fashion, what have you, and then it just gets translated into oh, yes, and they had no heads.
Speaker 3: So what begins maybe is more like a metaphor ethnocentric derogation of some other group of people, turns in is misinterpreted as a literal statement about their bodies.
Speaker 2: Right, So a lot of these interpretations are also like essentially saying, Okay, clearly these are not creatures that exist, but there has to be some middle ground. There has to be something kind of like it. And you see a number of these that I think you could classify as sunken head theories, the idea that you wouldn't be dealing with someone with a face on their chest, but what if you had a group of people that had, for one reason, one hypothetical reason or another, greatly shortened neck, or even a seeming absence of a neck.
Speaker 3: So assuming that, I guess giving more credence to the original claims as saying like, well, they really did see some people who they were describing in a more reliable fashion than whatever we were just talking about. But there's some there's some explanation for it. I'm often skeptical of explanent of explanats or attempts to explain historical claims like this, but let's see what they say.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of it ends up coming down to situations where you had individuals like eighteenth century Justuit naturalist La Faton. There's also Johannes de Layte, a seventeenth century geographer, and basically like a lot of their arguments come down to the same thing saying, Okay, well here's this thing in these travelogus, in these accounts, and look, here we have evidence. We have accounts of people with some sort of a sunken head situation. Like some of these seem to be more along the lines of, well, here's some individuals with really thick necks or they have, you know, more highly developed muscles that Yeah, you could lean into some description of them having a sunken head or less of a neck, but I don't know, it seems kind of a flimsy argument to make. I mean, likewise, you'll see allusions to various congenital conditions where you know, a person would be born with fused neck bones or a short neck. Accounts of this from the ancient world are known. I think there are even some controversial theories that King Tut could have had some variation on one of these syndromes. But there are a whole host of theories as to what may or may not have been going on with his personal health.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm intuitively a little more skeptical of explanations like this for where these claims came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Likewise, you have other examples where people are bringing up birth defects and various again congenital abnormalities that you know are generally cases where the individual would not survive. And you're not even talking about an individual in the scenario. You're talking about the idea that there's a whole group of people or beings out there that all have the same appearance, that all have some sort of a shortened neck or sunken head scenario going on. Now, another source I was looking at here was nineteen twenty four is The Coasts of Illusion, a study of travel tales by author of Carl B. Firestone. He brings up an argument made by eighteenth century French naturalists George Louis L. Buffon, who says, what we could be looking at here are reports of body modification, and Buffon apparently compared it to certain known practices of neck and head elongation that you see in some groups. So I guess this argument is based a little bit in fact. But also I really can't put a lot of faith in this argument. Like, yes, there are cases where people have elongated the structure of the head or done body moutives of the neck or shoulders. I think more specifically the shoulders than the neck. But it's a stretch to go from there to the idea of people like pushing their head down into their body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I can imagine a lot more somebody doing a body modification that could make it look like they had a face in their torso than that could make it look like they didn't have a head on their shoulders.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, another example, This one kind of goes back to what we were just talking about earlier with warriors and warriors stances in the monstrous races in medieval art and thought. Author John Block Friedman discusses the possibility that shields with faces on them or some sort of facelike motif on chestwear or armor might have also given this impression. So, I mean, that's another case where again, it maybe one instance of this being observed, and then it gets the story gets told, it gets translated, it gets passed on, and it becomes people with faces on their chest.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Again, that somehow seems to be the kind of thing that feels more plausible to me that it could be a misinterpretation seeing from a distance of or a misinterpretation of the original report of certain appearances of like shields or armor or clothing that could look like a face on the body. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, another possible theory here is the you might think of as the primate theory, and that's the idea that what we're really looking at here are very distorted descriptions of chimpanzees or bonobos rather than human beings. And interestingly enough, this was actually cited in the nineteenth century by none other than Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton. He speaks of the quote savage exaggeration of ape sightings, saying specifically pointing out the blemiers as being the kind of thing that, Okay, well, this is just based on somebody exaggerating a sighting they made of an ape, a bonobo, a chimpanzee or something like that. And you can I've seen some examples too where we people bring up people will bring up photographs of chimps or bonobos and point to like the stance, the sort of basic body morphology of the primating question and say like, well, if you're looking at it from the right angle, this could lead into an interpretation of a creature without a head, or a creature even with a face position somewhere in the torso, so.
Speaker 3: You could understand how you could see an ape and imagine maybe as a certain posture, that its head was lower than it was. It's hard to imagine how that could be mistaken for like a people living in a certain land. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, like I say, any one of these theories I think is not strong enough to support the general principle here. I feel like inevitably you're dealing with a whole lot of different ideas, and just in general, like the stickiness of the concept once it's been introduced, where people just continue to repeat it even if logically they think, well, this probably isn't possible. And of course, no matter which idea you end up gravitating to, or if you'd reject all of them, there's still something undeniable about all of these stories, in that there is just an undeniable xenophobic and racist nature of depicting the people of foreign lands as monsters or something monster like is something less than indifferent from human beings. Earlier, I referred in passing to the age of discovery, but of course it wasn't just an age of discovery. It was an age of conquest and exploitation and the wages of which have never ceased, and so this is very much a part of any rational analysis of this scenario. I found a very good source on this that was discussing this monstrous alterity in early modern travels. This was published in two thousand and eight from the journal le Esprite Creteur or the Creative Spirit, and in it in this particular article, author Lynn Ramy links these accounts of belly mouthed and one legged beings two broader theological discussions about whether or not the occupants of foreign lands were truly human with souls. Quote Eventually, and inevitably, Augustine's ambiguous conclusion that the monstrous races either were men and should be saved or were not men became untenable. Augustine might well suggest that blimier and scopods or one legged men are questionably human based on their physical bodies, but the inhabitants of the Americas resembled very much their conquerors. Apologists for Christian colonialists came to the conclusion that they were in fact men without souls, born from spontaneous generation but not descended from adam, equating some ethnic groups with soulless animals lifted the onus of conversion from the colonists and easily justified oppression and exploitation, unfortunately proving to be a line of thought that unfortunately proved extremely difficult to eradicate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I sense that there's a kind of uncomfortable thing that's all throughout reading these accounts of people with these impossible bodies, even going back to, you know, accounts from the ancient world where it wasn't necessarily part of an explicit attempt to justify colonial enterprise. Even in those cases, you can just sense a kind of a lack of a universal sense of humanity. You know, there's this kind of feeling that like, well, whatever, those other people are living very far away, you know, I don't know if there are even really beings like we are. In fact, here are even some strange claims about their bodies that could not possibly be true, And so that just kind of leads to this suggestion that like, well, I don't know, people from from far away are not really people. So anyway, I don't know. There's a quality that's always just made me feel a little a little uneasy when reading these these accounts of like men with faces and their torsos and stuff like that that isn't really there for like the gods and fantastical beings, but these ancient accounts about alleged peoples of this kind. And I guess I didn't always know exactly what it was that made me feel that way, but I guess it is some kind of implicit understanding of this, that it is a way of questioning the full humanity of peoples elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because if you populate the edges of your known world with monsters, well then it's it's more appropriate that you go out and exploit and conquer those lands. Right, as alluded to in that quote. You don't have any kind of spiritual obligation to those people because in your view, they're not people and so forth. All right, well, did we stick the land on a nice depressing finish these episodes on headless creatures and fantasy and fiction and mythology and legend and so forth.
Speaker 3: I guess. So that's a sad place to end, but an important thing to understand. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to admit the examples from the last episode are definitely more fun where you just have a situation where some sort of a divine being gets into a fight with a god or an argument with a god and just has their head stoved in or has their head cut off by a god, but then their body finds a way to manifest a face, manifest nipple eyes and a big gaping mouth in the belly, or even these ideas that we discussed in this episode of like the Headless Avengers, you know, the roll in the thops and Gunner's head is gone, but still he keeps going. Headless Horsemen, they have no head anymore, and yet the body continues. There's some sort of like level of volition that is still that is still burning in these mythological, folkloreic and fictional beings that can't be extinguished even by removing the head. The thing that we all know is the definite end of any mortal being.
Speaker 3: Also, please look up scollops and they're two hundred Betty Davis eyes.
Speaker 2: That's right, look up the scallops. All right, we're going to gohea and close this episode out, but we'd love to hear from everyone out there. Just a reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Lister Mail on Mondays, short Form, Monster Factor, Artifact on Wednesdays, and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you use social media, follow us look us up. We are SDBYM podcast on Instagram. If you use Facebook, there's a discussion module there. Seek it out. It's a Facebook group. Ask to join. If you can guess the name of this podcast, you can get in, and if you can't, you don't belong there anyway. And oh, I've used discord. There's also a discord what discussion group a discord channel. I forget what the terminology is, but we're on the server, yeah, server. If you would like to be in that discord server or whatever we're supposed to call it, just shoot us an email and we will send you the link.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio For more podcasts from My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 3: Its ratatata