Speaker 1: To teas in a pod which Teddy Mellencamp and camradge Edge.
Speaker 2: Hi, guys, welcome to another episode of Flashback with Teddy and Cameron. This is the finale and the reunion.
Speaker 3: Of Orange County Season two, episode nine. Back in the day, there was only nine episodes. Shortly after that it went to eighteens, and it went to twenty five, and now I think they were averaging about twenty.
Speaker 2: This air date was March thirteenth, two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: The not doing in two thousand and seven, Teddy br.
Speaker 2: One thousand and seven, You're still I was? I was still in the womb. No, I was living out here. I was riding horses for a living. I was married to my first husband.
Speaker 3: Was you know, can we get your first husband on the pod?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely not. He would be like, are you on glue?
Speaker 3: What do you get mine? And you get yours? We can do a whole podcast about it.
Speaker 2: All right. The synopsis of this episode is Joe and Slade attended therapy session. Shane ponders a career in baseball. Hasn't even been pondering that for a while. Sophia and Sophie and George throw a joint birthday party for their daughters, Vicky and down look to reconnect. Okay, so it starts out with Laurie having a birthday party for her daughter and George's daughter. Their families have perfectly bonded together like the Brady Bunch, except for Ashley. Ashley seems pissed all the time.
Speaker 3: She's just hating life. But she's probably at the age where everything's so annoying, you know, like, oh, but.
Speaker 2: I have to I'd be in a pissed off mood all the time if I had to sleep or with Cat.
Speaker 3: Well, that's her choice, yeah, I mean, but definitely her choice. But back in the day when they had birthday parties and bowling alleys, I.
Speaker 2: Had Dove's birthday party was at a bowling alley this year, was it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's a new type of bowling alley. Was it cosmic bowllying or I think.
Speaker 2: There was no, but it was. It is a little bit of a There wasn't a separate room, there's tables, there's all the things. I mean this pretty much how I throw a birthday party is I'm like, listen, I need to know who friend of whatever kid the birthday that I'm having is the same time, and then I'm going to latch onto it so I don't have to throw the party myself.
Speaker 3: He skates a half. Yeah, Ava just had a birthday party and it was at roller skating rink. Oh see, we're bringing it back, bringing back to old school.
Speaker 2: So we're back at the birthday party at the bowling Alley. Ashley says that no matter what, Josh is not moving in. Josh says that he does not get to decide that. Do you think that being on the show had an extra negative impact on Josh or you think it was gonna be hard for him regardless.
Speaker 3: I think it was gonna be hard for him regardless. It's hard to say it really is. I think that he's been troubled even to this day. It's really sad. Yeah, it's I mean, probably TV didn't help him.
Speaker 2: But I do love seeing their family kind of grow and build together. Knowing that they're still together, they're still each other. That's huge.
Speaker 3: We need to get Lori on the pod next. I know she's on next season. Oh you know what her wedding might be next season season three. I attended her wedding with my ex and it was beautiful. It was in their backyard. They have grounds in San Luan.
Speaker 2: Because we'll be well before we get into covering season three, we go back to cover Beverly Hills. Yeah, so are we on season two of Beverly Hills for next flashback?
Speaker 3: Yes? Oh that is correct, Teddy Joe, correct.
Speaker 2: That is correct. A moon though. Then we are back in Codo to watch Joe cooking for Slate with her baby voice. Slade says Joe doesn't need her anymore and that they don't feel like boyfriend and girlfriend anymore. Slade tells Joe that she's been treating him like crap and that she doesn't care about anything he does for her and that she doesn't respect him. He also says Joe is a different person now. Joe tells him to love it or leave it. We're going to have Joe on next week so we can ask her additional questions about the relationship. But I do you know, I.
Speaker 3: Like she regrets that relationship. No, I think.
Speaker 2: It's dysfunctional as it seemed. I think that there must have been good parts of it for her to even be there, because she doesn't seem super interested in being on.
Speaker 3: Reality TV or she doesn't, which is really surprising for a twenty five year old girl to be on reality TV and basically just choose to go live in LA and you know, walk away from what is now a very popular reality show.
Speaker 2: But she probably didn't know that. I mean, hell, she's sitting there whipping up a bullegn aze white dressed in scarf and uggs like she didn't know what was going to come of this.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but even I mean, I just feel like anybody that's never been on TV and they get on TV show, they're like, oh my god, I'm famous.
Speaker 2: But I think she thought her music career was going to probably take over from that, you know, that was going to be the bigger thing. Then Shane is home resting from his back injury. It's been a wake up call not having baseball in his life anymore. Gina worries Shane won't have the skills to fall back on something of his baseball career fails. Do you think that Gena's too lenient towards Shane?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I do. I mean the dad definitely not. But I don't think Shane's career ever took off in baseball, and he had so much pressure.
Speaker 2: Then Vicky and Gina go out to dinner. Gina tells Vicky that she treats Don the way she treats Matt and they both need to make changes. Gina treats Matt like the mail man. I don't necessarily agree with Gina on this. I from what I've seen, it seems like Matt isn't very kind to Gina and she's just ignoring it. Then Vicky says she is independent and doesn't think she needs a man, but knows Don is her rock and she needs him in her life. Gina says, Matt sman's two hundred nights of the year in a hotel. When he gets home, he just wants to sit at home. What is he doing two hundred nights of the year in a hotel?
Speaker 3: That is one thing I'm not quite clear on. I don't know what he was doing to be in a hotel all the time. But let's just talk about Don. Poor Don. I mean, he really is a great guy. I don't know if he's a great husband. He's a great guy, and I know Vicky wished it would have worked out after.
Speaker 2: Well, watching Vicky say she would never cheat on Don, but then finding out that she cheats on on with Brooks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think at this moment Vicky started talking with Brooks and carrying on with Brooks. And I think at one point like her daughter got wind of it, like I saw a message or herd a call or something.
Speaker 2: How long was Brooks in the picture, because remember I didn't watch all these originally, so it's like my first time watching. I thought Books just came that season. Now.
Speaker 3: No, they had known each other for a long time, and I think that Brooks was in the insurance business too, so they Vicky would travel a lot, so I think that they would meet up when they traveled. Oh, I neither one of them were great. In fact, I was in dig Bear over the weekend and I was with a woman and Bitlve's out there and she said, I used to work at home Depot with Down. He was like an executive for Home Depot. And I go, oh, my god, he's so great, because he's great, but let me tell you was not a good husband.
Speaker 2: Oh so you think they were both stay.
Speaker 3: Oh with the other bostum on.
Speaker 2: But you see when they go out to their dinner, this part was sweet, Like how excited Vicky was that Don planned something for them that you do see that like that happens in a lot of relationships where you just want the other person to like take initiative. And they're kind of having Levey Devey moments. They go to Catalina, Don says He's made all the plans. Vicky's so happy about that. But kind of watching it back, does it make you think that they could have made it work?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, it was Their relationship is long gone. I mean to see them hold hands on camera is like, I don't think I ever even saw them kiss or anything.
Speaker 2: How many seasons were you on with them as a married couple.
Speaker 3: Had to have been at least three or four. So I was on with Simon for three years and I divorced him before she divorced Dawn.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we're going to get into all that. I can't. I cannot.
Speaker 3: I never even thought about the Simon part of it. I was just thinking about my bad white, broken off hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, were your banks banks?
Speaker 3: And you know what I'm saying, And my baby wait, because Sophia was only like, I don't know, a year and a half when I started filming Crazy.
Speaker 4: It was that long ago. That is crazy.
Speaker 2: Then Joe en Slade plan on seeing a relationship counselor, which this relationship counselor like gave me anxiety?
Speaker 3: I am so, I mean just goes to show. They've even been showing therapy sessions and counseling sessions on Housewives for eighteen years.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think therapy is an important thing that people I don't want to see it, but when it so your very first appointment and your very last appointment, it doesn't really track. Like if you're authentically going to therapy and the person knows you, but if not. This gal just seemed like she was friends of Slade and she came on to make Joe feel like an asshole. But Slade says he's fifty percent committed and Joe is not committed at all. She's a two out of ten. Then she says that she's a nine, an eight or nine committed, and I'm like, huh, no, girl, your actions are showing different. Do you think Slade is more worried about staying on the show than breaking up because if he broke up with Joe, his job is over. However, on one of the reunions, and I can't wait to get to it.
Speaker 3: He said, he quit the show. Andy said, dude, you didn't quit the show.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't quit you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you weren't with anybody on the show, but I quit no.
Speaker 2: Like Listen, the one thing that I do know for sure is they both were one hundred percent committed to being on television Season two County, and that's what they showed us here. Then we get to the barbecue. Joe arrives alone to Vicky's barbecue and Slade brings a date, Janice.
Speaker 3: Who or yes, Janie? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: What somebody dick move? Well not just a dick move, but what are your thoughts when you are like the other woman and you come in and you're dressed like so over the top? Like, what would you do if you were the other woman and you were coming in you were in that situation, would you come in like sexy and over the top or would you come in and just try to be like the cool casual background.
Speaker 3: I would try to be the cool casual with a little bit of sex appeal, and I would have had my makeup done.
Speaker 2: Slade says, you know they're not a couple. Joe says, she didn't bring a date out of respect to Slade. Laurie says, Slade thrives on drama. He thinks he's the next housewife. Which it's funny that they even that back.
Speaker 3: Back then, right, and then I mean, how long had it been since they really officially broke up? That this backyard barbecue is happening for the season finale and he decided to bring a date.
Speaker 2: Well, he decides to bring a date, and then Gina asks if the date is a rented date, and Vicky says he thinks he paid for I wonder what you know Janice is thinking watching this back.
Speaker 3: I know now, if you were Joe, would have you introduced yourself to Janie?
Speaker 2: I maybe would have, but I absolutely would not have done it the way that she did it, with the dog and the baby voice and the awkward waving with the thing. I would have just been like, Hi, hi, slide, good to see you, Nice to meet you. I'm Joe and moved it along.
Speaker 3: But I think she took her Louis Vuitton that was all beat up, and she says she's walking, she's leaving, and the next thing you know, we see her in the grotto with Shane.
Speaker 2: It was it was very confusing to me, the timing, but no, the whole hello, Like I was like, no, Joe, yes, you can go up and say hi if you want to kind of stick it to him like that you're the bigger person. But then don't pretend that you're not awkward doing it for just a second.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But and that was her exit out of the show, and then she did get a spinoff. Bravo was clearly not done with her.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to watch that. Apparently it's called Date My Ex, which.
Speaker 3: I thought meant that not a bad concept, not.
Speaker 2: A bad concept. But they often talk about at this party, Vicky at the party, trying to get people to drink and wanting to control the cooking. This is the Vicky I love to see.
Speaker 3: Well me too. Vicky is controlling. That's who she is. There's no changing in her. And I love a girl that has a plan. That's the one thing. One thing that me and Vicky have always bonded over is we're both really good with her money. We're both very organized. We don't make frivolous you know, purcha Yeah, like we're just really I don't know, I mean, we're not that close in age, but you know, more geared towards the future, saving money. So I like that about her.
Speaker 2: No, I like it. And as we get into the reunion, we'll talk about kind of her recaps on watching herself, But then it's already over. We're at the end credits. Shane recently returned to the Oakland A's minor league team. He and Joe continue to talk. However, they both insist they are just friends. Gina and Matt are still together, living under the same roof. Joe has moved out of the apartment with JJ and now lives alone in La She is still looking for a recording deal.
Speaker 3: We need to have a feeling those friends with j Yeah, and I have a feeling that he had a falling out. Now, did you notice that everybody got their own eulogy? I was called the eulogy. I know it's always called but everybody, even the kids, they give an update at the you know, nowadays it's just the housewife. They show the picture, they play the music, and now Tamra's happily ever after living in her house in San Clemente. You know what I mean, Like every single kid got ever.
Speaker 2: Well, before we even get to that question, because Gina's daughter kept saying she never has seen Gina and well her mom and dad kissed, and that she kept saying that she should leave him. Have you ever seen that? Did you ever see them kiss?
Speaker 3: No? No, they were not together like when you see them filming. They're really not together. He just has an injury and has a room at the house and she kind of keeps an eye on him.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Well, the end credits still were. Gina and Matt are still together, living under the same roof. Slade is now Joe's manager. He planned what he plans to move to la into his own apartment. I miss this part.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that ever happened.
Speaker 2: I don't believe this to be true. Yeah, he was just hoping that would be in the OC Burden Way compation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Lourie and George planning to get married in the spring. Ashley still lives in Laurie's townhouse, only now she pays the rent, the water bell and cleans up after the cat. That may also not be true. Tammy and Duff remain broken up. She's still dating the new guy she brought to Vicky's party.
Speaker 3: She dated him a while and I'm trying when I saw him, like, oh god, how do I know? I'm like, oh my god. They did date a while, and I remember seeing them out together. I think I wouldn't break his name.
Speaker 2: I think I would have picked deaf.
Speaker 3: Deaf is kind of goofy.
Speaker 2: Megan and Roman never got back together. All those has the tattoo about the pitbulls, and then Vicky is trying to control her control issues. That is the end of season two.
Speaker 3: But but the riveting, riveting TV of a reunion and they don't even call it reunion. They call it watch what happened? We want to watch reunion? Yeah, which which I think sparked what what Happens Live?
Speaker 2: Well, the thing I have a question about is how mad do we think Vicky was that she was fourth down the line in seats or was this before any seat hierarchy started?
Speaker 3: Oh I'm not sure. How was it last year? The first season? Did they do it in Vicky's backyard?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But Andy wasn't even there.
Speaker 3: Andy wasn't there, That's right, they were just being asked questions by the producer. So two thousand and seven was Andy's very first reunion.
Speaker 2: I mean between Andy's hair and saying Bravo TV dot Com eighty two times.
Speaker 3: Because everything was done through the website. We didn't have we had we were MySpace transitioning into Facebook in two thousand and seven. I believe.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was just hilarious. Well, Bravo TV dot Com said, and Bravo TV. I'm like Bravo TV dot com the t before TMZ. Yeah, but I.
Speaker 3: Think that's where people would send in their questions.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. But nobody seems to grow old in OC. Vicky says there's a pressure to stay young looking and there's a lot of competition. In OC. Joe is regretful. Joe has blonde hair, but she's also regretful of her boob job and is getting reduction. Vicky had a boob reduction three years ago. Tammy thinks you should wait until you're older to decide if you want a boob job. What do you think the appropriate age to get a boob job is?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think it's ideal to have a boob job after you have kids. But you know, some girls in their twenties and not really going to have kids still the later and they want boob jobs. More power to them. I just think that they should, you know, be over the age of eighteen. For sure.
Speaker 2: It's totally consistent to Andy always asking the ladies what work they have had done, So even back then, he was the question. Joe says she and Slade are still broken up but remain friends. Joe says, Slade called himself the sixth housewife. This is even more embarrassing than somebody calling you I want to be housewife.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't that give you just an ick feeling if your man called himself the sixth housewife? Ugh, yuck, You're like, oh my god. And the douche award goes too well.
Speaker 2: The douche word was kind of a combo between Slade and Shane. But Shane, Yeah, they say that. Joe says, nothing went on with Shane.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it either. Vicky says she's in control and she hopes the people in her life just know she just wants what's best for them. You know what, Honestly Vicky's saying, I am saying, I'm just I'm not controlling.
Speaker 3: I'm just it's just the way you guys, It's just the way you guys go about it now.
Speaker 2: I'm curious, do you have like a type that you like Tam that you really because apparently you like control freaks.
Speaker 3: I like everybody. I'm an equal opportunist.
Speaker 5: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: When I think Tam or I think somebody that loves everyone.
Speaker 3: I would I would not want to be with a control freak. No, it would. Eddie's definitely more controlling than I am.
Speaker 2: But like I I got to tell you, if somebody was cooking, I wouldn't be controlling that.
Speaker 3: No. No, Eddie cooks. Yes, he can over that job.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't like to cook.
Speaker 2: I don't need to micromanage any household.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't do dishes. Oh he will not. He'll cook, but he does not do the dishes.
Speaker 2: Then, Gina says she was offended in shocked to see Shane called Tammy tits and that it was out of character for him.
Speaker 3: I had a character for him.
Speaker 2: I was confused. But then also, I love all the discussion about the underage kids drinking. I'm like time some change. Granted, we probably drank around that same age, so it's not shocking that they drank. It's just shocking that we watch it and debate it on television.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't drink until well into my twenties.
Speaker 2: Oh I did. I drank in high school.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I mean I had one time where I drank and threw up, and so I'm never doing this again.
Speaker 2: That lasted Lourie. She is her children's friend and she needs to parent more. Laurie says Josh is very unstable right now and they have barely been in contact since he turned to eighteen. Laurie gave him a car and let him live in the towhouse. But two weeks and he had broken every rule, which is like no drinking, no drugs, no parties, no whatever he wants.
Speaker 3: Let's just say, every single kid on that show got away with way too much. And I don't know if it was just acting up for the cameras or they were just entitled little breads.
Speaker 2: Well, Gina's daughter really grew on me.
Speaker 3: Gina's daughter has all ways always been the best kid on the show.
Speaker 2: Like she's funny, Shels, deprecating, she can be enough of an asshole like all of it. Like I was like, I like her, and then at the reunion she was funny too. The fact that they bring all the kids onto the reunion.
Speaker 3: That is crazy. Now if you ever, like, I follow Kara and like she she's a writer. She just writes and writes just beautifully on her Instagram. Okay, a lot going on.
Speaker 5: She she lost her baby at birth, oh no, a few years ago, and just the stuff that she would write about him, it was just, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, such a great writer. I heard she was writing a book.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I need to follow her and see. But it's essentially The Real Kids of OC joined. That's Kara, Shane, Ashley, Lindsay, Michael, and Brianna. Brianna says that Vicky is still controlling even though she's a sophomore in college. Michael says he was smart to move Colorado. Shane says he's no longer a virgin. Things I didn't need to know, Shane. He also claims that nothing has happened between him and Joe.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that.
Speaker 2: Would you have wanted your kids like by the time you joined, were the kids still involved?
Speaker 3: Well, you have to remember shows like Laguna Beach and The Hills were very, very popular at that time, So Bravo was trying to do a show called The Real Kids of OC and I don't know if they ever shot anything, but it just never took off. And I think this was their attempt to start launching it is to have the kids at the reunion.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to know how much the kids were getting paid to be at the reunion, because Shane's rocks and his ears actually offended me, like those huge diamonds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know for a fact that Ryan got paid season three. When we started, kids eighteen and older would get four thousand dollars every time they filmed.
Speaker 2: Four thousand dollars every time they filmed. Yeah, what about husbands?
Speaker 3: I think it was Wait, am I mistaken?
Speaker 2: That seems like a lot.
Speaker 3: It was a lot. I would say Ryan made anywhere from forty to sixty thousand dollars a year filming. But that has changed, that has stopped. So it was really weird. It was good at the time, but the husbands didn't get paid.
Speaker 2: That get paid.
Speaker 3: No, only children over eighteen got paid. Oh wow, then, actually, I'm sorry. No, it was a flat rate. It was a flat rate of like forty thousand for the year.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what it was. Either way, it's kind of it was a lot of the kids got paid and not the husband's. Then we get into the Joe got a music publishing deal with Sony and is negotiating with labels. Joe says, if she could have one person's career, it would be Jessica Simpson. Like, Joe, I mean, out of all could you not have picked like, yeah, Brettney or Christina.
Speaker 3: Yeah, out of all the pop stars, Jessica Simpson. But she kind of I feel like she channeled her Jessica Simpson on the show, Oh for.
Speaker 2: Sure, and like playing like she didn't know, Like she's very smart, that gal, Like I don't know if they're smart. Yeah. Then Andy asks what advice they have for housewives across America who watch this is hilarious. Vicky says, people admire but this this. He asked what advice they have? But this is not advice, Vicky, I love you, but it's not advice. But Vicky says, people admire their strength and independence.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Tammy says she wishes she had someone like them to watch growing up. Really Tammy. Joe says they redefined what it means to be a housewife. Laurie hopes the wives watching can relate to at least one of them. They all have the same hopes and fears, and they all love their kids.
Speaker 3: That was probably the best answer right there.
Speaker 2: That being said that no one person provides any bit of advice, So you can say.
Speaker 4: What do you have?
Speaker 3: A hard question? Like to answer? What would you say?
Speaker 2: What advice would I have?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 2: You can't judge a book by its cover, you know, Like that's why it's so important to watch these shows because you can see the good and the bad and the ugly. We all have highs and lows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I will say this is the end of season two. Starting season three, it's a whole new show because Tamra's completely new show. There's a new bleach blonde with broken dyed hair that is going to change everything. Who's gonna come change that?
Speaker 2: She is an iconic queen and I cannot wait to find out who it is.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I don't know why. I just came in and fought with everybody.
Speaker 2: So like me. So weird that that happened.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't even know how that happened.
Speaker 2: But before we get into recapping Beverly Hills season two, we are gonna have Joe Delarosa on and then we will get into Beverly Hills, So make sure that you guys keep tuning in to Flashback with the Twats