Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's you are.
Speaker 3: Gilmore Girls Gazette with Amy Sugarman and Danielle Romo, an iHeartRadio podcast. We are back for another episode of Gilmore Girls Gazette. You got Danielle and Amy and we are bringing you the breaking views.
Speaker 1: You're getting so good at that, daniel Are you Christiane Amanpour?
Speaker 3: I'm Christian almen bor you are just saying very correct. I would like to start off this episode by telling all of our listeners that we are thankful for you and we hope you have a very awesome holiday week for those that celebrate, and.
Speaker 1: So grant what we're gonna say and.
Speaker 3: What and we just love you guys, so thank you for everything.
Speaker 1: We had a meeting a couple of days ago about something that's coming up, and literally in the meeting with a bunch of corporate executive talked about like how much we love you. And I don't mean you, Danielle, I mean you, you in your car, listening, you on a walk, you vacuuming the house for Thanksgiving tomorrow. You and we gave we did a whole speech about it.
Speaker 3: Meeting like we have the best fans on the planet and it's and we all make fun of Scott for saying that.
Speaker 1: Everybody's such a good line.
Speaker 3: It is such a good line, and it's very true, so so true.
Speaker 1: Wait, how many things will you be like Rory and Loralai going to multiple Thanksgiving only It's okay, anyone be like Suki frying turkey well Jackson.
Speaker 3: Oh so, and and I'm going to say this, and y'all are going to think my parents are divorced. Now there, we just go to both sides of the family. So the first thing we do is we go to my mom's side of the family. Then we go to in like like twelve o'clock. Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, twelve o'clock. And then that evening around like four or five o'clock, we go to my dad's side, and then the next day we do my husband's side.
Speaker 1: That's what I was gonna say, So you really should be squeezing in three in a day, because you should do your mom's side, your dad's side, and John's. But some and is that always every year they always get the day after.
Speaker 3: It's been like that for the last like four years. Yeah, John's family, my husband's family is so chill and they're like we don't want the pressure of the holiday. Let's like that's not fun. Like I kind of maybe will adopt their method with uh, with my children one day.
Speaker 1: What will your don't say children child? Guys? First of all, she can totally say children. But literally every day, every day I talk to Danielle if she has any kind of like, oh, hey, I got to tell you something, I'm like, you're pregnant. You're pregnant. I'm just preparing for it. I'm prepared. I think if I say it and then for it, then I won't be so like shocked. Wait, are you going to dress the baby?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Do you still call my baby's a toddler?
Speaker 3: Now he's technically a toddler, which is gary so scary weird?
Speaker 1: Do you dress the baby up in like a Thanksgiving garb? Like will you be like I'm not saying yes to you know, turkey on his head, but like a special on.
Speaker 3: Song like what are those things called suspenders? Like no, no, no, no, we don't wear a very cool hip like a neutral tan knit sweaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's very Thanksgiving me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we don't do like the trousers with the white button up like I want him to be comfortable. He's about to total.
Speaker 1: He's elastic waste, right, elastic waste. Come on. My house is a very confused house right now because it doesn't know if it's Christmas or Thanksgiving. My table is very Thanksgiving, my front door is Thanksgiving, but my front yard is Christmas, and half my trees are up, so it's like my house is like what are we right now? I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that so much.
Speaker 1: And then the day after Thanksgiving, the Thanksgiving comes down and the Christmas goes up everywhere. But I can't do it in one day, so I have to do it ahead.
Speaker 3: Do you do lights like the around your house?
Speaker 1: I do it on. I have a big tree in my front yard now. Normally I do do it on Do do I said do Normally I do do it on the whole house. But my house is under some construction, so I couldn't do it on the house. I sound so Gilmoury right now. I sound like Richard and Emily like I'm under construction. And I will say we're having Thanksgiving at the club.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that is.
Speaker 1: Very You're very lorelyon Rory, and I'm very Richard and Emily, right now.
Speaker 3: So enough about Thanksgiving because we got because oh omg omg with exclamation points.
Speaker 1: So did you guys see Lauren's Instagram yesterday, Scott's Instagram.
Speaker 3: Our show Instagram.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, so there is something big happening and it is coming on December third.
Speaker 3: It is a bruin. Let me tell you, there are too many Easter eggs for my heart to handle.
Speaker 1: That's a coffee teaser. It is a bruin. Something is hot in the cup today. So let's go over what they posted. So we know that Scott posted a picture of a Luke's mug with the like check next to it.
Speaker 3: I feel like we need to read captions.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, stand by, stand by, Then me pull up Scott's. So Scott's has a picture of Luke's mug a checkbook seemingly Luke's diner. Please seriously yes, and Scott says back at Luke Steiner for something special tune in December third.
Speaker 1: And then Lawrence was on her story. Okay, so she posted I've got something brewing tune in twelve three, hashtag Walmart partner and she's in stars Hollow obviously walking, walking and you see a lot of stars hollow. There's snow. That's all we get from hers. You see Luke Steiner. She's walking past Luke Steiner and she's just walking walking, and there's a cable on the ground. So I would assume that means something maybe is being shot. You can see a cable on the ground.
Speaker 3: Okay, Then Sean Gunn's Instagram, Okay, I go. Is the gazebo, the iconic stars hollow sign covered in snow like everything just looks winter, winter, winter, and he his caption is Kirk's sixty third job question Mark find out on December third. Oh my gosh, I know. So from what I've gathered, Scott, Lauren Sean doing something real cute.
Speaker 1: Something is happening.
Speaker 3: Something's happening. So here's what we need to tell you involves Gilmore girls, because here's what we.
Speaker 1: Can tell you. We do know that on December third, we have been told to wake up very very very early, like y bizarrely m and be on our microphones ready. And so that is all we know that we we might know little, just we might know a little. But what we do know is that on on December third, we have to be awake at the crack of dawn and on our microphones there's some sort of delivery coming to our house this weekend, so we know that too. There's some sort of delivery coming to our house this weekend, and we need to be up and ready.
Speaker 3: On December third, Lauren's Instagram story makes me very, very stressed because I need to know. I need like her like her Instagram story. Literally it gets me all hot inside, like I need to know what that's about.
Speaker 1: Well, stay by your phones wherever you get your podcasts, because we will know very early in the morning on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't wait. And Scott's been like he's been a bault. He's been keeping a little secret.
Speaker 1: Well not that well, because I think I kind of.
Speaker 3: Know a lot. We know, but we don't know.
Speaker 1: We don't know. That's correct. We know things, but we don't don't know. Yeah, don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh I can't wait to no, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, you do do. Okay, So let's get into the first story. It's kind of fits for Thanksgiving in that basically there's been studies that Gilmore Girls is good for you, it's good for your health.
Speaker 3: I did not need a study to tell me that that's duh.
Speaker 1: I mean, how great is.
Speaker 3: That instantly puts you in a good mood. Sometimes it's in a bad mood when extaphr comes about, but for the most part, in a good mood.
Speaker 1: You know, he never bothered me.
Speaker 3: I know, he doesn't bother you.
Speaker 1: He bothered you all he I mean, he had his moments where I.
Speaker 3: Liked him up until season seven. Season seven just really downward spiral.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the New York Post have a story recently that a therapist wrote talking about how a comfort show like Gilmore Girls is good for your health. The therapist was named Lewis, Doctor Lewis. I don't know if he's a doctor, but he's a certified group therapist, so not a doctor. He runs multiple interpersonal process groups working on their feelings, assertion, impact on others. This is very therapy talk, impact on ourselves and healthy conflict. And he cites the show Gilmore Girls humor is funny, lighthearted and uplifting.
Speaker 3: I get it, like I get by shows like this instantly put you in a good mood. We have felt that for the last few years of doing this podcast. Every time we record an episode where like, you know what we're talking about a good fun show.
Speaker 1: And he said that because you've watched it before and you know what's gonna happen, you don't have to invest as much mental energy and you get to enjoy it a little bit more. I also saw a study recently that said, you know how they sometimes say like, oh, you need all quiet before you go to bed. I saw a study that said it is okay to watch TV before you go to bed.
Speaker 3: More of the story is, if you're having a bad day, put on a Gilmore Girls episode. If you just feel just better, binge it this holiday season?
Speaker 1: You do youhen you're cooking all weekend or at least tomorrow and the next day, and then the leftovers the next day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally hoop it on.
Speaker 1: I like it. So okay, so this is kind of something I liked. So I did find this. So if you love Gilmar Girls, here are ten other shows you could binge watch this weekend or enjoy this weekend that are shows that if you love Gilmar Girls, you'll love these shows. So do you want to read? You read the list?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So at number ten is Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist.
Speaker 1: I have watched this a little bit. Yes, I have. It's Lauren Graham, isn't it. It's about a girl who like hears songs in her head and then they actually like perform the musical numbers, so it's sort of a musical. Oh, Jane Levy was the star Skylar Aston who you know from like Pitch Perfect. It's a good show. I couldn't get into it, but I know people that totally watched it, like binged it, loved it. I definitely enjoyed it. I might give it another try.
Speaker 3: Fair enough Well. Up at number nine is Ginny and Georgia, which I will give my stamp of approval on this episode or on this show.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: Oh, it is so good. I love this series and I cannot wait for season three to come out next year.
Speaker 1: To watch it because people love it.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to give it a watch one episode.
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to put this on my list.
Speaker 3: You will love it. You will love it. You will love it. It is great mother daughter show but has so much juicy drama.
Speaker 1: It's like a little edge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is great, A plus A plus.
Speaker 1: And Ginny and Georgia good good.
Speaker 3: Up at number eight Dawson's Creek.
Speaker 1: You know that makes me think of I don't want to wait the theme song want.
Speaker 3: To work for a Last stupe Over.
Speaker 1: Never got into Dawson's Creek, but I know people love it.
Speaker 3: Neither. We do love Katie Holmes, though we do.
Speaker 1: Love the cast is so good, Michelle Williams, Are you kidding me? James Vanderbeek, Josh Jackson, which, weirdly, I am watching Doctor Odyssey, which is like Gray's Anatomy on a boat. It's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right. Well, up at number seven is New Girl.
Speaker 1: See, I did love New Girl. I was thinking about rewatching it again. I just love Max Greenfield and Jake Johnson. Yeah, so much so I think I would rewatch this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and New Girl's not bad. Up at number six Dash and Lily, starring Austin Abrams and Medori Francis on Netflix.
Speaker 1: She actually just well, I won't say something just happened to her and Gray's Anatomy if you aren't caught a people don't like spoilers. Yeah, Crazy Girlfriend. Rachel number five, Yeah, Rachel Bloom, which I also know people loved. I mean, there's a lot of shows on here I haven't seen, so I've got a lot.
Speaker 2: To so good.
Speaker 3: I have seen this series. But number four is the Summer I Turned Pretty and Holy how that is so good. If you have not seen one episode, you better turn on your Amazon time. I need to watch it today.
Speaker 1: It is It is a great Community Joel McHale. That was a comedy, which I haven't watched either. We've got like a lot to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we get some work. I do love Allison Bree who's in Community's She's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like there's a lot of shows on here.
Speaker 3: I can enjoy it. Number two is one that you've approved shrinking.
Speaker 1: It's really funny, it's really good. You can totally crank it out. I mean, who doesn't love Harrison Ford, Jason Siegel. The cast is awesome. It's really really good.
Speaker 3: And then up at number one, The Marvelous Missus Masel. Obviously that makes sense since it was created by Amy Sherman Palladino.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good. It's totally, totally, totally good. It's basically, you know, very gilmoury kind of what she probably sort of I thought she was kind of getting on the path too with with butN Heads, and then she just hit a home run with it with Marvelous Missus Maisl, it's so good.
Speaker 3: One thing, I do think we should just go back up to the top and say where you can watch each of these, because I did get a DM from somebody saying, you guys say so many good shows, but I never know where to watch it, So I'm just gonna be through the Yeah. So, Zoe's Extraordinary Extraordinary Playlist you can watch on Apple TV and Prime Video. Jinny and Georgia you can watch seasons one through two on Netflix. Dawson's Creek you can watch on Hulu and Prime Video. New Girl you can watch on Hulu, and Peacock Dash and Lily you can watch on Netflix. Crazy Ex Girlfriend Prime Video. The Summer I Turned Pretty on Amazon Prime Video. Community you can watch on Netflix, Shrinking on Apple TV, and lastly, The Marvelous Missus Maisel on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 1: We should give a shout out to Collider for putting that list together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great job.
Speaker 1: Okay, now here's something juicy. Tune in to this story. If you are half paying attention, you're gonna want to focus. So I need to see this. But there's a moment from Gilmour Girls that has gone viral on TikTok as People losing their minds?
Speaker 3: Can we watch it really quick?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So during season three, episode nineteen, the episode was keig Max, a TikTok user named Notorious AHB caught a moment between Alexis Bladeaux and Milo vent Amelia. The camera is focusing on others in the scene. Alexis is staring at Milo before tucking his hair behind his ear. Milo gives her a small smile before snapping back into the scene. Okay, I need to see this.
Speaker 3: I did too, And you know, I remember when we were recapping the series. The first time you guys told me that Milo and Alexis dated, I was like start like I was flabbergasted. So I can't wait to see this.
Speaker 1: Let's see. Okay, there they are cute and are they they're not together yet? Or are they Maybe they're not together yet.
Speaker 3: Let's do some math once we stop watching this. Oh again, so let me do some maths. Season Oh it's like.
Speaker 1: They were thought they weren't on camera.
Speaker 3: Season three Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: Year because they're acting like they aren't quite together. This is episode I think this is the episode where Dean fights Jess because this is at the band practice at the party. Oh, this isa is literally something everyone needs to watch because I think they thought they weren't on so.
Speaker 3: Them give you the timeline. So they began dating in late two thousand and two into or in real life they begin they began dating in late two thousand and two. Season three premiered September two thousand and two. So what that means is they probably filmed this in in April May June.
Speaker 1: So season three they fit. They start filming in July, okay, June, July, August, sorry, July, right.
Speaker 3: As they were starting to really date. Yeah, so they.
Speaker 1: Weren't together yet fully in the show, right because I'm more concerned about what's happening in the show at this.
Speaker 3: And I care more about real life.
Speaker 1: Might because how I want to do detective work? Because is she doing it as Rory or is she doing it as Alexis? And I think she's doing it as Alexis?
Speaker 3: Okay, so keg Max, let's see.
Speaker 1: I think it's the episode where Jess and Dean fight, but were was this.
Speaker 3: Lady Band makes its debut at a big bash where Jess and Jean's long standing animosity erupts into a brawl.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Jess and so they were together, So it is a very affectionate move, but it's unclear. We're gonna need people to weigh in their opinions if if she's if she's rory or if she's a luxus.
Speaker 3: I think she's rory.
Speaker 1: I think she's a little both. My take is she's a little of both. Okay, if you.
Speaker 3: Must be crazy to blur lines like that, like where you're a character, you're acting this person that's supposed to be so in love with this character, but then how do you?
Speaker 2: How do you?
Speaker 3: That's why I can't never date it that an actor? No way, absolutely an actor, because what happens if you break up and then you're still together on the show?
Speaker 1: Ooh horrible? Oh?
Speaker 3: But also like what it like? Uh okay, using in Milo terms, Milo, Mandy and this is us were love they were and you know, endgame whatever, YadA, YadA. I don't know if I could be married to Milo knowing that he is in love with Mandy Moore. Yeah, even though acting I would feel a certain kind of way for sure, I know myself.
Speaker 1: I think that's why, like celebrities have so many issues. I get it, because like get it, that would not be easy and then they always end up dating their co star good exhibit a graaty.
Speaker 3: I cannot do that. All power to people who are married or dating actors or you know, can make it work.
Speaker 1: Well, this is true exciting Gilmore Girl's Gazette toda because we have a special guest.
Speaker 3: Yes we do. And you thought we weren't gonna have a little surprise for you.
Speaker 1: We do, we do, we do. Guess who has the number one movie on Netflix right now?
Speaker 3: Our guest Thisscal's a straight queen.
Speaker 1: So while Marla Soakeoloff figures out how to unmute, hopefully Jackie can help her and turn on her camera if she wants to. It's a safe space. You don't have to have your camera on here if you're not camera ready. It's number one on Netflix. So I started watching it? Did you start watching I did?
Speaker 3: It is very spicy in the best way.
Speaker 1: Buy it very spicy and also which we will ask Marl about. Chad Michael Murray's character is named Luke.
Speaker 3: I know good. It's so good.
Speaker 1: I cannot And he's crazd like a handy. He's a little Lukash.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: He's wearing a plaid shirt now I don't know she did that intentionally. I'm gonna assume she did not, but I am going to ask her about that.
Speaker 2: Mar You guys, that was so embarrassing. I was literally like, this is not I am not new to the world of zoom. Why can't I was pressing on mute, I was pressing start my video, and nothing's happening.
Speaker 3: You're a good.
Speaker 1: Safe space here. Second of all, your background looks amazing.
Speaker 3: And the sweater and the sweater.
Speaker 1: How does it feel to be the number one movie on Netflix? I can't It's so oh my god, you guys, It's so crazy.
Speaker 2: I just can't explain it in a way that would not make me give everyone the ick. But it's just one of those things that I feel. There's so many moments in this business that stuck and have been really hard.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I've been doing this for so long, and I've cried so many tears, and to just have this moment of people like congratulating me is weird, Josh, really.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have so much to talk to you about, which my main thing is the cast of this movie, but we'll talk about that in a second. You reference working for so long, which obviously we know you because we email and text you all the time. Hey, can you do this for us? Can you do this for us? Can you? Was full House one of your earliest jobs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Amy, I actually mentioned to you yesterday to my publicist Laura Ackerman. I know, because it has been just pouring it out as long as I have. Really, let's be honest.
Speaker 4: You're just like a You're even a little longer than me because we started as a kid. Yeah, and we have been pals for over thirty years because you've been working forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, what was the question the cast?
Speaker 1: So the full House was that one of your first first full house?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I lived in San Francisco, I.
Speaker 1: Know, because that's how I think we bonded over that because that's where I'm from.
Speaker 2: Right, So, where are you from the actual city?
Speaker 1: So I'm from Rinda Lafayette area? And then I remember one of the first times we met, we we bonded over that we're both from here. Yeah, and where did you grow up in the city proper?
Speaker 2: No, I grew up in Danville when Danville?
Speaker 1: Okay, so right by me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is that where the Danville's chocolates is from?
Speaker 1: So Marla, we go to Danville Chocolates. We love it so much. I don't know if it was there when you were there, but it is the chocolates here, and so we get all are like, you know, like if we were going to get a Marla chocolate, they can write like your name or your project on there. And so we get them do all our custom chocolate, and then we drive it down to La.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that is a shout out to Danville Chocolates. That's amazingly.
Speaker 1: They need a married gentleman chocolate to keep going. So full house. So obviously that.
Speaker 2: It was kind of one of those things that I lived in Danville. I did a bunch of community theater. I did theater in the city at Act and then an agent said to my mom, you know you should take her to La And my mom said to me, you get one month in La. You will try this pilot season thing. And I got full house.
Speaker 3: Amazing gosh.
Speaker 1: And then I really discovered you on the practice. I just was like, this show is brilliant. You were amazing. Our friend Jessica Capshaw, we were just earlier today about the practice.
Speaker 2: Oh do you know Jessica Cashcaws set my husband and I up.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: You know, she's like, she works with us, she has an amazing podcast, and she's one of our total pals. We love her. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Love me some Jessica Capsu and I love that podcast. I listened to their podcast.
Speaker 1: They're amazing. Wait, how did she do that?
Speaker 2: So we were on the show, and then it was her husband's thirtieth birthday, which is even crazy to think that any of us ever turned thirty. Seems like so young.
Speaker 3: It was like twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Just thirty. Don't let Danielle laugh. Like, Danielle, you're a child.
Speaker 3: I know I'm thirty four and thirty feels like sixty.
Speaker 1: I tell her, wait till menopause and she can just give me a ring. But anyway, keep going. Wait, this is amazing funny.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and then my husband was there, but I had just broken up with somebody. I was like just not interested. And he was there and he said to Jessica, who's your friend and she was like, oh, it's my friend Marla. We worked together, and then the next day she said, on Wednesday, I think this was like a Sunday. She's like, Wednesday, you're meeting Christopher and I at Georgio's and my friend Alec is coming, and I was like, you know, we all know Jessica, we love Jessica, but Jessica's not someone you could say no to very easily. You came and so I was like, no, but okay, I know you're gonna bully me into this, and I went and it was now it's my husband.
Speaker 3: That is awesome, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I cannot We're gonna text her immediately after this. Okay, So now onto the number one movie on Netflix, the Cast. Let's just begin. First of all, we were we were in at Chad Michael Murray, Yes, I don't I want to know how much influence. Now this is for everyone listening. This is Marla's story. She wrote this story and she also is starring in it. Britt Robertson. But here's where I lost my mind. Michael Gross, the dad from Family Ties. I was like, okay, the aunt Beth Broderick Ant from Sabrina the Teenage Witch. But here's where, here's where I fell over. Maxwell Callfield.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he's honestly one of my favorites in the movie, right, Like, he's just so good.
Speaker 1: So for people that might not know the name, you know him from a few ways, but for me, he is the star of Grease too.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't think you're gonna say that one for Dynasty?
Speaker 1: What do you think I was gonna say? Do you think I was gonna say dynasty?
Speaker 2: Isn't he in like Empire Records or something? Hold on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he was.
Speaker 2: And you know he was like nine o two to one, Oh you loved us.
Speaker 1: He was like the older man that dated Brenda On like the early first season of nine O two one. Oh total, guys, this is the TikTok world and cool writer has had a real moment on TikTok and Maxwell Cawfield is the cool writer. Like, so when you see Michelle Pfeiffer on your TikTok jumping over the ladder, she is singing about Maxwell Caullfield. So did you have any say in the cast, Like how much did you have to surrender after you wrote it?
Speaker 2: You know, I had to surrender because that's what you do as a writer, right You just kind of give it to your director and they put their spin on it, which as they should, you know, to have him put his you know, take on the movie. But he did tell me that actually you know what it was in one of our first notes meetings with Netflix and they said, you know, we had lunch, we ch had Michael Murray yesterday and I was thinking this would be a perfect project for him. I was like, yeah, of course, it would be absolutely perfect.
Speaker 1: For him, Like he is perfect in it.
Speaker 3: We can't get over that his name is Luke and the reason being. The reason being is this podcast is Gilmore Girls, you know, centered, and our host, Scott Patterson is Luke.
Speaker 1: So we're so doing a CW show with which as we speak, oh.
Speaker 2: We see on the Sullivan's what it is. Oh my god, that's so funny. Yeah. By the way, like just when I saw the Gilmore Girls podcast come up in my schedule, I was so excited because I am a late bloomer to the More Girls. I didn't watch it when it was on the air, but now that I have two daughters, we have watched it and it is so good.
Speaker 3: It's so so we need to have you on, like with Scott too, we need more.
Speaker 1: I would like to watch an episode and then you can like break it down. So here's my question for you. Yeah, how did this idea come to you? Were you just like, you know what we need at the holidays a lot of shirtless gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that is what we need. A but b it actually was an idea that was pitched to me and I was hired to write it. It was a producer that I loved, this wonderful man named Jeff Shank. He called me one day and he said, I have this idea for a movie. I've written for him before, so he knows that I write, and some of the things that I've written for him have been produced. And he said, you know, like full Monte Magic Mike, but with a Christmas element. And I'm like, I know what those elements are because I've written Christmas movies before. So I was like, I'm on it. I got it. And I mean the original draft was definitely more kind of spicy than what it is now. We had to tone it down.
Speaker 1: I would love to see that too. This one's very wonderful and sweet and all the Christmasy things, but I could see it being a bit sus hear even mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you know, first of all, all those guys were camera ready to show whatever body parts they needed to which I was just so amazed. So we could have put them any.
Speaker 3: Nail carbs on the on their diets. That is crass.
Speaker 1: Zero. Your boy, Chad Michael Murray is really bringing the A game. Because here's what I'll say. Yeah, shout up to Netflix that promoted this movie very well. Like I feel like I've been counting down the days to this movie for a really long time. And Chad Michael Murray with his calendar, just doing all the things and she's not ready to wear those pants just a little bit low.
Speaker 2: Like, oh yeah, he's not dumb. He's like, I'm gonna I know what you want to see, so I'm just gonna show it to you. I mean, my twelve year old came with me to the screening and they were there was like a table with all the calendars and she was like hording, like I'm like, you cannot take that many. It's so embarrassing. She left with like six of them, and then we went to another screen last night and there were more calendars to take. It's I don't know if she's like wallpaper in her room or what the deal is. But to your point about Chad and how you know the Gilmore Girls, connection is so interesting because when he got cast, I told my daughter, oh, this guy Chad Michael Murray's gonna be the lead in the movie that I wrote. And she was like, Chamucha Murray. What. I'm like, how do you know him? It was so confusing to me. And then I remembered that he was on Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: He's sort of the original love interest for Rory Murray. Yeah, it's you know, there's some edge to him on Gilmore Girls. But so I'm loving I don't want to you know, we look, people are starting to watch it. They're they're all just jam into it on Netflix. So I don't want to like Ruin too much. But it is so darling, Like it's cute, there's goofy pratt falls, you know, say, I'm glad we kind of start to see their crush right out the gate, Like you're not making me suffer through that too much in the beginning there, Like yeah, right from the start, I'm like, Okay, this is going to have everything I want. There's a struggle, you know that, there's a struggle. There's love, there's a cute family, there's holiday, there's shirtless men. So okay, so is it pretty much the version you wrote that we're seeing in that second round, So the start was a little sassier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny that you said. I love that it's just right off the back because in my original draft, I think we spent more time in New York, you know, really saw her as like this girl who was you know, lived her lifelong dream of being a dancer on Broadway. There was more time spent there. But you know, one of the first notes I did get was like, let's just get right into it, let's get let's start. Yeah, and that it was so helpful, you know. And when we when I first saw the movie, the way that it was cut was it just was done so well, and it just made it real much quicker, and moments that I was sad were gone. I'm like, they didn't need to be in there, you know.
Speaker 1: So that's what I want to know from you. Okay, So first, I love that you're an actor and Marla is in this. When did you become a writer, When did you start doing that? And when you get notes from the network notes and quotes? How do you not get hurt by that? I think I would be crying all the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, luckily because I'm an actor. I have no soul.
Speaker 3: You're used to it. I was going to say, you're used to feedback, whether it's good or bad.
Speaker 2: It's like, what market do you really tell me? It's to hurt my feelings? It's all been said. So I mean, do I love a lot of notes?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: But is a part of the job. Yes, I've always written. I've always had little scripts that I've written on my computer in my off time. And it was probably about eight years ago, eight or nine years ago I kind of decided I was really focusing on the wrong side of being, you know, on wrong side of the camera. And then I wanted to direct and write more than I wanted to act.
Speaker 1: So I was going to ask you, I was actually surprised you didn't direct this. Did you think about it? Did you talk about it? You know, the.
Speaker 2: Director was already attached when I started writing it. So, and he's amazing, this man, Peter Sullivan. You know, he was already attached and I love him. And he's actually somebody who helped me get into directing. I shadowed him and he directed a came in, so I'm so grateful to him. But yeah, so once I started deciding that I wanted to direct. It was even more important for me to write the things that I was going to direct because there was also the other element of like, maybe I'll be in it too, So it all kind of went together.
Speaker 1: Audition or could you cast yourself and just say hey, I wrote and so so Marla plays Britt Robertson's sister, So you've got a big part in this. But you know, like, how did that happen?
Speaker 2: It was so funny. I didn't even think I was going to be in this movie. Like I said, wrote it, you know, we went through a couple of drafts, sent it off, never thought about it again really, and then I did get a call saying do you have Marie? And I was so excited, And then I realized I totally wrote this part for myself. I didn't know I did it, but I did, because oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Crazy, that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: I was like, why wouldn't I Marie? Of course? So yeah, it was really it was really fun, and it was also really fun to be on set for a movie. I wrote that I had to do nothing other than play one of their roles, because you know, as a director, you're doing soody. Then You're like it was off.
Speaker 1: You know, can you imagine Marla floves are lines like you wrote.
Speaker 3: It, girl, I forgot my lines.
Speaker 1: Alena Gome's mom I think is in it from Wizards of Waverley Place.
Speaker 6: Like the cast, Oh, Maria is so baller Like it's just filled with all our holiday It's just a gooey, lovey holiday treat where you're just like, I love the cast, I love the story, I love the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Perfect timing. I think they it's we're ready.
Speaker 3: There is nothing I love more than a holiday movie. Nothing I love more. I think that's really why bringing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's why these movies are drinks so well. And particularly this year. It's like we haven't had an election. You know, there's been there was a pandemic, We're coming off of a creator strike. There's just been so much that it's like, I personally don't want to sit around and deal with that stuff, so I like to brush it to the side and watch holiday movies.
Speaker 1: There one that you bring up the strike too, because you know that's been challenging for so many people. So it's amazing that you got this, that you wrote it, got it done, Like how long between writing it do you find out, like, hey, we're making this.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I looked at the scripts the other day. My first draft was in October of last last year, so that is just a year ago. Basically. Yeah, I have another project. I have another project that I sold when I was six months pregnant and my daughter's about to turn three, so it's like, gosh, that's more what I'm used to. So yeah, this one was really quick and we went I wanted to say we found out in January that it was going to get January February somewhere around there that it was sold.
Speaker 1: To laugh, because people are always recording their Christmas albums in like July, because that's kind of when you have to. And I was like, oh my god, what yeah, no, look, we have so much respect for that, because this is how we do it. We got on the zoom ten minutes ago and here we go, and then it'll go out tonight and it's done. Like we work in Live, you know, basically live. So to have a project that takes years and years and years and years, you have to have so much patience and motivation too. It's like, oh, and.
Speaker 2: You have to have multiple projects. Really is the reality of this age. You can't just be betting on that one because nine times out of ten, and that's what I'm saying, I feel. So I'm just filled with so much gratitude today because of the fact that I have had literally twenty other things that never saw the land of day that were in production in development, got sold. We're even like so close to like being in prep and still didn't get made. So to have something get made and then have people watch.
Speaker 3: It and it'd be number one.
Speaker 1: I know, number one, which is a big deal and like so much support. I will say I have loved every second of the promotion for this from the trailer drop, I was like, oh, hey, like it's fun.
Speaker 2: And also every actor was willing to do so much, like Chant did so much and Print did so much. You know, sometimes they think that hurts these movies when you know the actors aren't as participatory as they've been. They've just been really gung ho and amazing, and it's just everything is spell pretty easy on this movie, which you know always makes me a little suspect, But.
Speaker 1: You know, what do you do? We'll leave you with this question because we love, you know, all the behind the scenes. What do you do with your script, like your first draft of the script, do you keep that? And what do you do with the final version? Like we know from Tori Spelling that Aaron Spelling Candy had all Aaron's I think pilots leather bound and in a you know, one of their libraries. I don't expect that you have a sixty thousand square foot house to keep it all. But what do you do with your script? Like do you get everyone to sign it?
Speaker 2: Like? That's so, that is such a cute idea.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I haven't printed out I have all my scripts. I'm like such an like an old school person. When I read script, I have to print it. I cannot read on a totally.
Speaker 1: So I don't work anymore either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that's a cute idea to get everybody to sign it. I wish I would have thought about that. Owners saw everybody.
Speaker 1: Especially when you're in it, like you're in it, you're there. Was it fun to make?
Speaker 2: So fun to make? I mean? And like I said, the main thing that was fun to make, I mean, the main part of it was that I didn't have much to do besides take care of Marie and that you know, for the past few years has not been my experience on set, so it was like really relaxed. I was like, all right, my gosh, tell me where to stand, like so exciting. I don't have to do any of that.
Speaker 1: And here's what we know. We know that everyone listening they love content tied to Gilmour Girls in any way, shape or form, meaning a writer, a producer, a cast member, so they will watch like so these people are just super happy that their favorites from their favorite show Gilmore Girls have a project that they can watch. And this one is, like I said, it's a total treat. It's just so fun. I was watching it as I was kind of like, you know, doing little things, and it was just like I just wanted my popcorn and oh my gosh. You know the scene that's so cute, and this is in the beginning ruining it when she's with all her Christmas She's got all her Christmas decord. This is when she's still in New York, She's got the big bowl of popcorn. She's just it's very holiday and gets you in the mood. So I think it's the perfect thing for people to start watching all month long. Couldn't agree more. I love seeing you. You're the best mar a life.
Speaker 2: We're so happy for you see you.
Speaker 1: And I love like look Danny all and I love like baller girl, like just a girl doing her thing and like it's so awesome.
Speaker 2: And like also, I mean I posted this on my Instagram a few hours ago, but Lady Shivert is also in a Netflix holiday movie. Yes, I'm like, she's another one. Like we have crime lunches together about jobs and boyfriends and pregnancies and all these things, and I'm like, I am so honored to like share any space with her. But it was just really it's so and Chad too, because it's like we've all been just plugging away. Yeah, it's really, it's really just so great. I'm so happy.
Speaker 1: Christmas, Happy Holidays. I love seeing you.
Speaker 2: I hope I see you soon.
Speaker 1: Yes, literally absolutely well. I love hearing that story. We're going to text her immediately. And also I hope you will come back and maybe watch maybe ask your daughter her favorite Gilmour episode and then you all you can watch it with Scott and like talk about all the scenes and everything.
Speaker 2: Please let me come back. I would love it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I love seeing you. We'll talk to you, sincengrats can.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Yiah.
Speaker 1: I love her so much.
Speaker 3: I know she's so cute, she's.
Speaker 1: So great and it's great. So you guys, it just dropped on Netflix line last week. If you're cooking, it's a perfect It's that's what's so perfect. If you're cooking or cleaning the house or doing those little things, pop it on like it's it's that kind of movie, like it's real.
Speaker 3: Cute and and you know this weegest Thanksgiving, but as of this Friday, it is. It is Christmas season, guys, it is holiday season. So you turn on that Netflix and you turn on the merry gentlemen and have yourself at ball.
Speaker 1: You could even do a little, you know, at night there when the kids are down, make yourself that bowl of popcorn. You didn't know where you were gonna go with the Do you think I was gonna do something weird? Hey, if you're alone and you like Chad Michael Murray, this is the movie for you know. I wasn't gonna be dirty dirty. Imagine if if fine get your glass of wine. I always think, how about I don't I've never had any alcohol, so I'm always like, get your cocoa. I also can't have dairy so even have coco anymore.
Speaker 3: But whatever, it's to have a good old Kamamel tea.
Speaker 1: Your water, and your email.
Speaker 5: Okay, everybody, as forget.
Speaker 2: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com