Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 1: Thanks take maligized. We are the authorities on R and B Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Tank.
Speaker 3: This is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things R and B Miami Edition.
Speaker 1: Where were my miam Me?
Speaker 3: As when you come down to the three oh five, you know what you gotta do, and you want to talk that music? Yeah, you know what I'm saying. You want to talk that musician. Ship it's a man. It's a Man's a man. It's a name that comes up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Ten out of ten times, sir, hit records are listen to R and B Live before R and B Live All the Lawn edit.
Speaker 1: I was with you, man, you with me? Make some noise? Ward brother, big be in the building. Man, come on, man, wow, that was yeah you big day.
Speaker 3: Like, man, I don't even be you know, I don't be doing a whole lot of talk.
Speaker 1: I just about that. Actually, I just do a whole lot of work and I'm on it.
Speaker 4: Man. Just to be sitting here with y'all. Man, it's like, I really don't do this, Like this is like kind of new for me. Just sit sitting down, you know, interviewing and talking to the podcast, man, like, I love what y'all doing, man, and thank you man. I'm just trying to recoup from the intro. That was incredible.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: But I just heah, I appreciate you all for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but listen, I think you know us knowing you for as long as we have us knowing, us, knowing the work, us knowing the spirit. You know what I'm saying of a man like this is you. You're somebody who people need to hear from. You know what I'm saying, and understand that they've been hearing from you.
Speaker 1: They just just know it. We're gonna make the connection. Oh that's him. That's him.
Speaker 3: I remember singing at your uh, your arm, you're live.
Speaker 1: Who else?
Speaker 3: Somebody was there? Kicky Wyatt? It was ki Ki Wyatt, yo, like when I was there. Yeah, I think she might have called me on stage or something, and you called me on stage or something and we got we got to get into it. But it's like every time I see here's the crazy part and we and we you know, we always go back to the beginning because we want to know where it started.
Speaker 1: But every time I see.
Speaker 3: You, you've had major success in the music business, you've had hit records after hit it, you have hit records. You do not have to be a working traveling musician. You do not have to B and I will. You will be in the most Randoms at a wedding Ross Randoms bus as the lead musician.
Speaker 1: Like rocking like music you really love you really love the music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is listen, this is all I know.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: You know I came out to church. You know, my mother she raised two boys, me and my brother. My brother's two years younger than younger than me. God bless it there. Like he passed in ninety six. He was on the Value Jet flight that went down in Evergladesh.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And and that was my only brother. My brother was a keyboard player. He was the musical director for Vanessa No no, no, congratulations.
Speaker 1: What's that girl? The lady Williams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my brother was her m d. He was the day and then my brother used to travel with B.
Speaker 1: B and C. C.
Speaker 4: Winings and I was traveling with Shirley Caesar and I.
Speaker 1: Was traveling with the Winings. You're traveling with Shirley seas.
Speaker 4: Like like I was with Shirley for years when I was young, like seventeen years coming out of high school, I started traveling and I went out with her, you know what I mean? Then when I with her, and then I went out with with with the Winings, and and that's that's like like I grew up that kind of music, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So like, but let's not let's not just gloss over to Shirley, Caesar and the Winings, because that was the top, real that was the top of the food chain at that time, and you're not no regular musician going on the road with them.
Speaker 1: I grew I grew up under that.
Speaker 4: I grew up You gotta be special, Yeah, I grew up under. I grew up under that. The Shirley Season, James Cleveland Clark System.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I grew up on.
Speaker 4: The under that type of Yeah you was a guy, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean.
Speaker 4: So that's so it's just always been in me like that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: So it's like like like even to even to this day, like my me me doing live music against my that's that's what I love to do. Like I love to be on stage playing, you know, doing live performances. That's my passion. That's so it's all it's just in me, man, Like That's all I know. So how do you go from Shirley Caesar and the Whinings to then becoming a super producer?
Speaker 1: How do you? How does how do you make that transition? I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you for me, this how it started for me, Like my mother used to always. First of all, my dad was a was a singer. My mother was a piano player. So I used to grow up on listening to real music, like like like my mom used to play the the emotion all the time. She used to play I forgot she used to play this song the time is right, I forgot who the artist is. But I grew up just on all that type of stuff. I grew up on the Eagles, I grew up on Chicago, the Group of Chicago, you know what I mean. So I was I was always into music like that, you know what I'm saying. Growing up and coming out of Miami that was different because Miami music is bass music. I came up in that, like you know what I'm saying. So we wasn't known for R and B music. And you know our R and B hero was Michael Sterling and Miss b Betty Wright. That's our hero in music in R and B, you know what I'm saying. So it's like, you know, I came up like that, you know, doing music, so you know, to make the transition, you know, learning how to do rap music with That's when I became I started working with Trick Daddy and and Trina and and and my mindset. It's like, man, I don't really understand this rap.
Speaker 1: Ship when you first jumped in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I just knew music like Earth, Winn and Fire was like like my Jimmy Jammer, Terriss Lewis.
Speaker 1: Lewis was my idol.
Speaker 4: I always like always want I say, man, I always I want to beat them dudes. I want to produce like them cats, like I something about like they sound.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was Jimmy jam Terry Lewis and Maurice White, like like the way they produced, the way the sound. I said, man, I want my music to sound like that. I don't know how, you know what I mean. So that's how I came up, you know what I mean. And and I just took that all land and tried to, you know, navigate through this Miami scene of music. And that's that's pretty much how I kind of got started.
Speaker 2: So ultimately there were no R and B singers, no out here at that point.
Speaker 4: No, not in Miami. It was all dope dealers and rappers. Like I grew up. I grew up around killers, dope dealers and rappers. Like that's all I know.
Speaker 2: So are you producing just like for the neighborhood rappers at this point.
Speaker 1: Or how do you get producing your first record? My first message?
Speaker 4: I mean my first I would say my first major record was Trick Daddy.
Speaker 3: Let's go, okay, what's your first place? What's your first first placement? I know it was a brown bag like a paper bag. Somebody brought you. Somebody brought you a place. It is a place, somebody paid you money your podcast exactly.
Speaker 4: I had a lot of brown bag you know what I'm saying, street casts coming up, like you would like if you you, if you, if you from you know, like like the G Shorties they call it G Shorties and they was like some some cases cats out of Miami, and they was like, really my first bag bag, you know what I'm saying, So and and and what's what's that run about? The G Show is right? Like I didn't know how to produce rap music at all. They just love my music that I was. I was producing.
Speaker 1: Music, man. They was.
Speaker 4: They were from forty fourth Street and Seventh Avenue, and they were like, d Man, we want you to do our ship.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I say, oh, man, I don't know ship about rap music. Man.
Speaker 4: Nah Man, you figured out then They was like, man, listen to that swave house ship. So I started listening to you know what I'm saying, that was musical to and then they felt like my music was like that type of ship.
Speaker 1: So I was like, who the swave was was?
Speaker 4: So I started listening to that, man, and and you know, That's how I kind of try to put in my music game.
Speaker 1: What were you using to produce?
Speaker 4: I was short live ship, like you know what I'm saying. Back back then we was on with Daity Yeah yeah, yeah, ca. It was the rolling rolling.
Speaker 1: It was a deal rolling. It was rolling something.
Speaker 4: I can't remember what. You didn't have no studio or nothing. Nah, I was just going in different studios and you.
Speaker 1: Were just laying down track for track live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't really have my own studio until like like in the early nineties, and I built my own little studio I didn't. I didn't have it. I didn't have my own studio till the end, you know what I mean. So it wasn't until it wasn't until like and I was still like getting I was still getting the brown paper bags. I wasn'tetting no placements and that like that. I didn't know what that was, right, I didn't know how to do it. I was making so much money doing street records, and I ain't know how. I ain't know what the other ship was until you know, I ran in the trick and ted ted to ce Off Slipper Slide and and started working with them.
Speaker 1: That record was a smash.
Speaker 2: Let's go as a smash, I used to this day. You can't go into an arena and not here Let's go, I used to.
Speaker 4: I was just always playing guitars, my main musician, my main instrument. So I would create all my music from the guitar. So I used to always love that Ozzie Osborne and and so I just stopped, you know what I'm saying. So we're in the studio, me and Jim Johnson.
Speaker 3: We were just we just stopped, you said, me and Jim Johnson, how do you and Jim Johnson get in the studio.
Speaker 1: That's a legend. That's that's that's a legendary. I'm gonna tell you the sturb.
Speaker 4: Me and Jim, Right. So, Jim used to produce this group at the time. There wasn't Pretty Ricky. It was they was called something Pretty Ricky and the Mavericks, and they were doing rap music. So Jim was producing their rap music. This was before Pleasure. Pleasure wasn't in the group's at this point. It's all They all rappers, and so Jim was producing them or whatever. And so so I was doing my little R and B thing or whatever. So Blue, Baby Blue came to me and said, man, we need some beats. Man, can you send us some beasts or whatever? So I was like, all right, man, I mean, y'all rappers, So I don't know where I could send you, but I just seen you, uh some stuff or whatever.
Speaker 1: So Baby Blue heard the grind, the grind.
Speaker 4: On me music, you know what I'm saying, And and and and when he heard that, he called, I guess he called Pleasure or whatever. And Pleasure. When Pleasure heard it, Pleasure just started sucking with the vibe of and putting the hook on it and that.
Speaker 1: Type of thing.
Speaker 4: And he wasn't even in the group. He just came up with a hook when he he blue was going through different beasts and Pleasure told him play that one right there, and and it was grind on Me and and and that's really so that's how me and generally started working together. Because when when grind on Me was their single, Power ninety six kind of blew it up on the radio or whatever. So when Craig Common came down to see the group pretty ricky, he was like, well, let me hear some more music. So the other music was a lot of rap music because no one expected them to be an R and B group and Pleasure ple was gonna be the lead singer. It wasn't they didn't. It wasn't set up that way. It was set up for them to be a rap group. So when Craig Common heard grind on Me, he was like, well, who did this? Who did this record or whatever? And so they was like, man, Big D, he produced that or whatever. So man Craig was like, what I want to that's what I want to meet. I want to meet Big D. So they flew me to New York and me Craig. Jim sat down and Craig was like, listen, man, this is their sound right here, grinding me. I need y'all to. He was talking to me and Jim to create this for their project. And that's what we did. Reduction Team. No wow, we're not even a product. Craig put me and Jim together.
Speaker 1: That's great. He put us together.
Speaker 4: Science science, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I respect him for it too much. Like he had that vision, he was able to see it and put it together. And and then he sent He said, I'm gonna send a writer. I'm I'm gonna introduce y'all to this writer whatever. So he sent Static Major and me, Jim and Static did pretty ricky album in thirty days.
Speaker 1: Thirty days.
Speaker 4: We did the whole album, just back to back to back, that whole Blue Star album, Ground on Me Your Body, all of that, we did all that, and we just we just.
Speaker 3: DIDI Classics, BRO Classics.
Speaker 4: And the and the sauce was. I would always come up with the melodies and everything. Jim was the he he had the the the the beat, he had the eight o eight sound, so he had that bottom and I would come up with the melodies. So I was like, I had melodies for days because I just I had all this music in my head and I always wanted to bring it out some kind of way anyway. So I would just come up with the melodies and whatever and just how we created the songs.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's funny when he say Jim Johnson, because it was like I would hear the name Jim Johnson and I'd be like like this, like, whoever this is Jim Johnson is?
Speaker 1: I knew. I knew Big D. I seen Big Day.
Speaker 3: I was like, but I don't know who Jim Johnson is it, But Jim Johnson probably you know what I'm saying. Jim Johnson probably from them trenches, you know what I'm saying. He wanted niggas like man, Jim John's like, hey man, you you yeah yeah. But when I say he had it, oh man, y'all two together.
Speaker 4: He was like the king of the as down here. Yeah, that's what his thing was, the ato as. And here Miami that's that Miami bass he had had. And that's how we put our thing together.
Speaker 3: So tell me this, you guys. Now, you guys, I mean major success now, y'all, y'all on them charts now, so there's something different. I mean, well, let me go back to trick Daddy was, Yeah, that's what's the next move after that?
Speaker 1: And do you get your own studio after that?
Speaker 3: And then Ja Jay's famous question is now that the checks are rolling in, but before he.
Speaker 1: Even gets to that, what he hits you'all for? What hits you all for?
Speaker 3: On?
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 4: You know you're gonna be surprised, right, So everybody kept saying, we was not gonna get this Samper clip, right, we was not gonna get this Samper clip.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 4: Ozzie Osbourne son h is a trick Daddy fan. Go figure, why not Burn's son is a trick Daddy fan. When it got when they heard the record or whatever, Yo, this was when I tell you this, when it came back. Thus that man only took fifty percent.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah because them samples give me ninety Yeah, I did you a favorite, give me.
Speaker 3: Give men need a you know, a little bag on the side of did like.
Speaker 4: This, no problem, no stress, no none of that man only because he ain't I didn't know who, but but it saw them was like, oh, like you got to clear this dad, And and that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Trick was on fire. Wow, Trick love of kids? Do you think do you get a nice bag for producing that? A good advance?
Speaker 4: It was, you know, it was you know after that, we met Big John. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's one of the Big Bus just saw you ago. We talked about you show. You've changed so many lives.
Speaker 4: Man, Yo, Big John is the godfather your Big John. Listen, nobody, nobody got an eye for talent.
Speaker 1: Like Big John.
Speaker 4: Big John is that dude man like like Big John taught me so much coming out coming from the bottom here in Miami. We don't know nothing about this, this music world, this music ship. We we just we're down here getting it. Big John was the one that really taught me a lot and how to maneuver. And because when when I first thought I was young and real strong minded and just I was real militant, Like I just felt like everybody was against me. Everybody that ain't me was against me. So I'm coming in with that mentality coming out of Miami whatever, so I'm not really knowing how to Big John was the one that kind of taught me how yeah you know what I'm saying, and tone my thing down and not be so what they I guess they's say intimidating or whatever, because you people, you can roll people the wrong way in this game.
Speaker 3: But you come up around that too though, So you you got to have a certain you when you're dealing with it. You know, what's what's the boys you was dealing with the young show.
Speaker 1: You gotta have.
Speaker 4: All I know is like like the street. All I know is so so this music, this music game was different, you know. I mean even though I love music and I just know I can do it, but the game.
Speaker 1: Of business side, business.
Speaker 4: Side of it was a whole the world, a whole other world.
Speaker 1: And people don't understand that.
Speaker 2: They think that you can, that you can apply some of the same tactics and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll get you ab out of this ship. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's not about all you know, don't be so real, don't be that. But it's just like, no, no, no, understand that this is a business. You have to move in the business a different way than how you would move in the street.
Speaker 1: They're gonna move you out of.
Speaker 2: This thing, you know what I'm saying, Like it's just it's just not designed that way.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm glad you. I'm glad you said that because.
Speaker 2: A lot of the younger creatives that are coming up and almost man, you keep doing all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that door is gonna be closed. It's going to be closed a lot of doors.
Speaker 4: I just felt like that that that because I'm young and and me coming out of minament, I missed a lot of opportunities that I felt like that that was, you know, always say what God has a miss for me, But there's still some things like the opportunity I feel like I missed because of my lack of knowledge and lack of not knowing how.
Speaker 1: To move in the game. I used to get.
Speaker 4: I used to get an that tone people you say, well, you know, they're gonna take a percentage of your public take what you heard, take right, nobody taking a motherfucker thing over here. I'm like on that, you know, and I'm so I'm like, no, no, that's not how we do it. So I'm not I'm growing. I'm not knowing you. This is the way you do it. You got the you got this, you know, you know. It wasn't time I grew and grew into this thing or that di I learned. Okay, so you know, like I like I tell a lot of the young cast, like you said, that's coming up, Yo, you have to move a certain way. This music game is a fraternity if if if anybody could do it, everybody will be doing it right, you know what I'm saying. So it's like it's a little fraternity man. So it's like the way you're moving this game is how successful you can be.
Speaker 1: That's how I was looking.
Speaker 3: Shout out again the Big John. He's been again into my publishing career. Wow ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah see, but my I think I think my publishing thing was before. Yeah, yeah, he was there. Big John was there me day one. Wow, he was there for me that he gave me and Jim my first publishing deal.
Speaker 1: Real, that's amazing. And we went on to become.
Speaker 4: Two thousand, two thousand and six, we got being Mine right yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Not a year, yeah, a year, crag a year. But that's that's after. Yeah, that's that's that's after. The Jamie Fox thought to go back to figure out what he brought to though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what what when you get your first legit not brown paper, when you first get to you know, the wire or that check what's the first thing you got.
Speaker 1: To celebrate yourself. I bought a Bentley. Yeah should Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think everybody bought a billing when they got their first.
Speaker 1: My business manager talked me out of it.
Speaker 4: I wish I asked somebody to like, that's what thing. That's one thing I didn't have. I didn't have nobody really teach me how to do the business thing I just got bought.
Speaker 1: I was just went crazy. Listen, you had to see you.
Speaker 5: You get the cool?
Speaker 3: Did you get that? You got that big boy? I got the big boy. Yeah, I got the big before.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what you have to have. I wanted that cool. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeahestatic had a couple of them. Yeahestatic was moving around. I was like, wow, that's what you're doing.
Speaker 1: I had. I bought Rams and.
Speaker 3: Quite body Biley the already had like I had the Lexus g S.
Speaker 1: But it's still a nice car. I bought. I put rims on the conversations a little bit.
Speaker 5: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Check was a little bigger than mine. Deal what I could you was stunned.
Speaker 4: It was mentally crazy for me. H. I'dne been all over the world travel. I've never been no place like Miami. Nowhere like Miami, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So it's like miamis to keep me a float. Yeah, messing with Smitty Green Eyes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, float yeah, come on, come on to me.
Speaker 1: Need you. I bring you down next week. That's real. That's let me tell you. That's that's my dog. Where that's Minty dog?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 1: Trust me? What's he? What's he? Green?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: It's all I got you next week? You can come down here next week. That's Smitty playing everybody's business? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Is it a good time to get to Jamie Fox? Unpredictable? Is it a good time to get to that girl? Get comfortable about to do some things you've never done before? Come on, Harold Lily Baby, not the usual big date tonight, we getting unpredictable job.
Speaker 1: I told this, I told Harold Lily this.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if you saw the episode, but I got to tell you this because since you're part of that record.
Speaker 1: Y'all saved my life. Hmm. Wow.
Speaker 3: When I was down here helping him finish that album, I had nothing. He was literally going into his safe at the hotel and just giving me handfuls of money so I could just make it through the week.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. I had nothing.
Speaker 4: That's crazy because I would saying this. I remember you in the studio. I was sitting with Brionn said, man, that Nigga's bad.
Speaker 3: I'm just there trying to be of service because nothing bro. And when that album came out, because of that, that number one single and the seven hundred thousand records the first week, first week, Hey hey them people call me first week, Hey man, he.
Speaker 1: Remember your number? You back?
Speaker 3: What can we give you a Lamborghini? You could give me a Lamborghini? They say no, no, but what about the money. You will fear it out. I need a Lamborghini and.
Speaker 1: I wanted in yellow, and I wanted in yellow.
Speaker 3: How you staying that yeller? Because they have to see me. Wow, they have to see that I'm back. Y'all saved my life.
Speaker 4: You know man, listen, man, that was nothing, but God, let me tell you, like, first of all, that sample, my mama used to play that all the time.
Speaker 1: A wild child, what she is? Sweet as well? Let it ray fall down?
Speaker 4: Uh, it's the sample sweetend to flower growing around. So I used to hear that in my head all the time. I said, damn, man, that shits so hard and we and it started with I took that part out of the sample, and that's how we created a song just from that bom bob.
Speaker 1: And we created it. We created a record from that. And then.
Speaker 4: I called Brion. I wasn't even thinking about Jamie Fox. I just called Brion because I used to let Bren here all my beats. I said, Brian, Man, we just did a we just did a dope beat.
Speaker 1: Man. You gotta hear this.
Speaker 4: I ain't thinking and I ain't thinking Jamie Fox, and I just I'm like, I'm every beat I do, I'm thinking the rap artist.
Speaker 1: You know what. I'm got that ear? Yeah, got that ear yeah.
Speaker 4: So we meet up down here on South to be somewhere. Sitting in the car, I played the record, I played the beat. Brion just went at it. Oh, I hear this for Jamie and he said, I'm gonna get this nigga Harold Lily to write it.
Speaker 1: I ain't know who was. I say, don't worry about that, you just stick to the music. I got this.
Speaker 4: That's like, man, I'm gonna get hair Leal to write it and Jamie gonna sing it.
Speaker 1: Yo, it's out of here.
Speaker 4: I said, all right, in that order, in that order he's He's like, man, it's out of here.
Speaker 1: I ain't man, I don't know nothing.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, man, let's do it, and the rest is what it is, man, Jamie. Jamie went on that that wrong with that Ray Charles thing timing was when I tell you, I ain't never seen a setup like that, Like, I ain't never had a setup like that pertaining any record that.
Speaker 1: I was a part of. A rollout, they call it rollout. I have never seen a rollout like that. An oscar to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, it doesn't stopping that train. It doesn't happen. It don't happen. I was like this, Oh Jesus, Jesus, my god. In this band, you had like lies.
Speaker 1: In an arena. Yeah, that record is out of the kicks in man. No, that was.
Speaker 4: I played every instrument on that record, the baseline, all that.
Speaker 1: Cutes, Champagne, if you get some food up, pull it up. Played every instrument on that record. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I played most of the instruments on on all the records. Yeah, Guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, training with the Kelly Rolling song Here we Go, I played the p on I played the keyboards on here we go, Real.
Speaker 1: Church Boy, Real church Boy.
Speaker 4: Actually that song was for sim D's Tender Love. So my brother, he was a keyboard player, so I always wanted to learn how to play that song on the key. So my brother taught me how to play that that particular record on key on the keyboards. So I always knew how to play. So when when we did a beat, I was playing in the studio one day, just playing with it. So Jim said, man, let's do the beat to that, and that was the train at Kelly Rolling. Here we go record. Wow, we didn't even sample. We just played everything from that. We didn't sample for some ds. Every every song, I mean, every part of that record was straight instrumental, straight I played.
Speaker 2: So now you're now you got these massive records and everybody's calling.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Then jay Z calls, Oh, let me tell you how this man, This this story is crazy, right, This, this story is crazy because this is how my career has gone. My career is going, not not so much through relationships in the industry, but just God just making things happen for me. You know, lo Wayne, When when me and Jim, Jim went started doing his thing, I started doing my thing. Was so Lo Wayne was the person that he was the only person really of his status that restopped me and say, D Man, I need you, I need you to send me some beasts like damn man, so Lo Wayne. So so I would just send low Wayne be and send Lowayne beast and then he would he would be working at the Hit at the Hit factory, so I would go there and take him a beat CD or whatever. So he'll be in a booth and he'll stop his session as soon as I walk in. He'll stop his session and tele engine that you'll put big D beats on whenever he's doing. Like I mean, this is this is why I love little Wayne to this day. Like this man like he just I don't know, I don't know. He just took an he took an interest to me to like, man, I got you D So he was just going through me. So Wayne would just get on my beast like he'll just he'll just me and Wayne got we finally got a double album right now, I got my catalog. I got records that Lawayne cut that's not even out. So this particular beat was the Hello Brooklyn. I did this beat with fabulous in mind. Hello Brooklyn. How you doing. I was thinking the fabulous. I want to get this beat the fabulous. And that's another thing like when you're producing Miami, especially y'all your producers, not just in Miami. But it's our problem be how do we get the music to the artist, And so all we have is a dream. When we're doing a beat, we're saying, damn, I hit is for fabulous. I ain't never I don't know nobody who know fabulous. I ain't never been to New York. I don't know nothing. I never been to Brooklyn. I just love to beat. I just stopped messing with the beat in this Hello Brooklyn, so Lowayne got on it, and lo Wayne just he was just rapping to it, Hello Brooklyn, and and and and and and it became one of the songs in his catalog. So I ain't never thinking nothing of it. I just know low Wayne cut a lot of my beats, a lot of I don't know if it's ever gonna come out or whatever. Man, I got a call one day from Big John John and some kind of way jay Z heard Hello Brooklyn when he was with Wayne one day in the studio and Wayne playing it for him whatever, and some kind of way.
Speaker 1: Jay Z say I need.
Speaker 4: That, and Wayne gave it to him. He gave he gave it to him for the It was this movie that the Gainster movie, American Gangster, American Gangster. Yeah, jay Z was doing the American Gangsters and he wanted it for that movie. Man, I never met jay Z none of that to this day. Oh I met him after, but before the ND I didn't. I didn't meet him or anything. It's just I just got a call from John said, jay Z want the record.
Speaker 1: He wanted that beat, he wanted.
Speaker 4: It and and Wayne, and this happened to be the first record that Wayne and jay Z ever did together. This was the first one they ever did together. Hello Brooklyn. And that's how that's how it happened for me.
Speaker 1: Just the Lord, just just god man.
Speaker 3: But also the goodness of like you know again, speak of that relationship you Wayne and Wayne and.
Speaker 1: Been like oh yeah, for my for my guy.
Speaker 3: Because you know how people can be when they got records and and they got they don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't even have to play it.
Speaker 4: That's why I love way to people asking, man, who's one of your faans, I say, Wayne my favorite to this day because because he believed in me. That that was a low part. I think that that. I think then this when my brother passed and I think that it was in ninety six, So around that time I lost my brother, I didn't want to do music no more. I was really going through it. It was a low time for me. So like Wayne was just one of the people that that that I just there was just death for me, like him, not just Wayne, but cash Money, Family.
Speaker 1: Baby, Slim.
Speaker 4: They really did when they moved to Miami, they they really looked out for Big D. They looked out for Big D, so they do. They knew my background, they knew my story, they knew about my brother and everything. So they just really reached out to me and really looked out for me. So I never got nothing bad to say about the boys.
Speaker 3: Never man out the cash Money Yeah yeah, yeah, Baby is one of those guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, definitely Man Baby and Slim Man, Slim and Slim the one like like he he don't say much, but that's that boy, the one.
Speaker 1: We talked about.
Speaker 3: We talked about that that guy don't say a whole lot people, but I promise you.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you Slim that that's the one, right there, yeah, man, So.
Speaker 2: Then you end up we fast forward, yeah, and then you end up pretty much your your songs are the songs that broke the City Girls.
Speaker 1: Wow hmm, come on.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I had never heard about the City Girls too. Some girl was talking about I Take Your Man and what a bad yet yeah man, And I'm like, oh ship big produced yeahs.
Speaker 3: Like different type of yeah yeah, different type of longevity, different types of transformations in terms of production and musical style, Like that's not that's not normal.
Speaker 2: And that's your roots, that's the Miami sound.
Speaker 4: City Girls. Like when I saw those girls, nobody might.
Speaker 1: Be believed in them.
Speaker 4: Nobody it might be believing nobody other than me and Ball Greasy.
Speaker 1: Ball Greasy and Miron was.
Speaker 4: The one that turned me onto and and they opened up for Ball Greasy at the Showing Temple. They sent me a video of it, and all I thought about was Traina and Jackie O. You know, those are Miami female legends. And at this time, no, there was no girl groups in the game, and they especially wasn't talking about the stuff that the City Girls was on, like like like the girls was in the game. They was real nice with it, but they weren't known that. They weren't known that. So when I got in the studio with them, man, I and you know, they taught me.
Speaker 1: The city girls taught me how to work with the new generation.
Speaker 4: They taught me how to work with them because I was such, you know, coming from the school of producing and and how your hands on and you pretty much want the record done like this.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And you know what I'm saying, like everything has to be you know, auto tune tightness all that. Dumb girls taught me how the new school wanted. They not structured like that. Just let it be, man, listen, just sit back and let them go in the booth and do what they do. Well, what the timing is not fun? They don't they don't move their vocals.
Speaker 3: They don't want it on beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did. That's how they want it like. And that was that was new for me.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, that's that's off like nah nah d that's how we want it.
Speaker 1: We want it like that. Okay, all right, y'all want it like that.
Speaker 4: And they taught me really how and and we just went in there. So I take your man came from idea. I have said, man, why don't y'all y'all don't even thinking about Salt and Pepper.
Speaker 1: They didn't even know who saltn Pepper was.
Speaker 4: They didn't know the group Salt and Pepper. Some id just said, you know what, man, I'm ana flip that Salt and Pepper and put these Miami girls on some New York ship and still give them that low end of eight o eight and they talking they ship over this And that's how it came about. And I'm working with I'm working on their solo project.
Speaker 1: Now, how was there?
Speaker 2: How was the streets when city girls hit out here and you hear.
Speaker 1: It like you just see.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously you in the studio with them, like you said, it's a new thing, But what was the vibe when they when they really start taking off in Miami.
Speaker 4: That's when you saw females taking over.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: That's what that's that's that's when it started. You could see that the females coming. Guys, the men rappers, y'all going to take a back seat for a minute because they're on some new ship.
Speaker 2: Everything you hearing down college across the bridge, every ass a city girls, all city girls.
Speaker 1: Because now everybody wants to be a city girl. Everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, everybody listen, even even the C suite women, the women that out here CEOs quietly, they somewhere listening to city girls, city girls about acting up.
Speaker 1: We didn't take your Yeah, I see it.
Speaker 4: So it's like I'm sitting back looking at it and sitting in the clubs just looking at Hi'm like, damn, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, your career has been amazing, bro, Yeah, what you've done in this game. You can't just put your hand on it either and say, oh, he does that, because there's so many different type of records that you've done. I mean, you've even done a record for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on talking about it.
Speaker 2: Come on with this pimpo Yeah yeah, you know with me and Snoop Dogg, you know Static Magic, they put me out to Miami man, and you know got in with with with Jim Johnson, dre Yes.
Speaker 1: Man, it was I had a time. I had a time, man, I had a time out here. We spent a whole bunch of money on that budget. Though we spent You had it, you had.
Speaker 4: You record, you sid.
Speaker 2: Larry like you gotta you gotta get in, you gotta get in with Jim Johnson and Big T. Come on, man, I said, listen, I love what they've done. Put me in with them for the show.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We had a great time, man, And I always appreciated that moment.
Speaker 1: Man, y'all was always super cool.
Speaker 2: Definitely, and you know, we got a chance to really connect and then me being able to see you know, because I didn't, I didn't fully understand what you were involved in, just from the from the musician side and being able to appreciate that. Like Tank was saying earlier, Man, like you you're the original R and B Live of Miami. It's a real thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yah.
Speaker 4: I do it every Wednesday night still to this day. Every Wednesday night, I got a show. It's called Session Okay with My Lives. My Own Lives band and the performance artists has just come through and telling people where Studio one e three, Miami, wednesdaynight. Matter of fact, tonight we in that tonight dope I got a lot of the spot is called it's because the spot is called studio. It's owned by Floor Rider Flo Floor Riding Freezy Spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a dope spot. Man.
Speaker 4: So Wednesday night we do nothing but R and B music, DJ Nasty We do r B list if y'all ain dow, y'all.
Speaker 1: Gotta come through. When do you start? What time you start?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, what what what you to?
Speaker 1: Whatever? You'll just come by, you know. You know what I'm saying. Listen, I got Listen, I got the coldest music with that young girl saying I'm out here in Miami.
Speaker 4: Listen, I got the dopest musicians. Like maybe we did a wedding. Many Yeah, me and Tank we did a wedding. Listen this wedd It was incredible. The Tank was on the stage with us on with the band man when I tell you, something happened and just made us made up a song. Something happened with the with the usher one of the other or no, somebody was somebody was park.
Speaker 1: Wrong telling about the car. Take the whole song. He did a whole song by this person that was parking. He was, Yo, this that's crazy. Sound like him.
Speaker 3: Because I didn't know what was going I walked in. I walked in and I'm like, yeah, just make sure you got to keep board from me. You know what I'm saying. So I do my thing. I don't know what you know with what the musicality gonna be? Like I walked in and it's him. I was like, ah, I was like, I'm singing the whole night.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Let's go. And then he had some singers with him that was off the chain, kill what he was always wanted to do, like what so on? When we came up, man, we did the whole show. Bro. I saw him, I said, let's cook, let's cook.
Speaker 4: Yeah man, you know yo yo that that ship was incredible, So like, no, we do that. That's my thing, man, doing a lot of music. But no, here's the funny part.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm looking around, I'm like, why does this look like a music video?
Speaker 1: And it was like Big D loves to have smoke.
Speaker 7: When Big D he's sitting right there and it's just smoke all around me, the smoking somebody's wedding.
Speaker 1: I said, where's the smoke coming from? Well, you know, Big D loves to have smoke when he's so what is he just like to appear like? What is I just like the the aura? Yeah? Yeah, yes man, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: I just feel like you you appreciate the music better when when they're smoke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean It's just something about the atmosphere of it. Yeah. I was trying to Bro.
Speaker 3: We're at a wedding, somebody's wedding, man, and there's smoke.
Speaker 1: I'm like niggas going to the buffet. Bro, you got somebody asked me to come perform that. You gotta have a smoke machine.
Speaker 3: You have to Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you gotta a rider, yes, he said, I said, I said, but is.
Speaker 1: This smoke on fire? Man? I looked over in the smoke like Rick James, James bitch the bag guitarp. Now he is in the smoke. Yeah, I gotta have my smoke. Man.
Speaker 3: This is a music video right now. This is setting setting the tone in the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Bro, get no argument out of me. So listen, here's here's my here's my thing. Pull up my little keyboard. Here, here's my thing. Brother. You know, Jay just spoke about, you know, having a record with you, you know, come get to this pimping. You know what I'm saying. And I feel like I feel like half of the Army Money podcast has a record with you and the other half doesn't. So I'm gonna just, you know, just throw this out there. You know what I'm saying, there needs to be some balance. You know, we level you know, level this thing out that even if it's if it's a J and Tank record, you know what I'm saying, it's gotta be you know, we gotta close this gap.
Speaker 4: Brother, Yes, and listen, consider that done.
Speaker 1: Get into pig D's LAMB can't recorded just in case.
Speaker 6: Yeah, big Da, You've been all over the world and now you for some of the biggest artists in the world.
Speaker 1: My brother. You you make music and you create an atmosphere that's so smoky. But now if people want to know, yes, yes you're.
Speaker 8: MH top five, your top five, Top five, your top five rping.
Speaker 1: R and B song show.
Speaker 9: We got a new He's Dollar show Wednesday night school. We're going to know your top five. When he asks, right, smoke, you're.
Speaker 4: Tip four.
Speaker 5: H thank, I would agree, top big deal, your top five.
Speaker 4: R and B singer. Alright, listen, come go to go to the text. My top five is surely season. Yeah, Donny has the way I see where you see what he's Yeah, you kind of see where he's going with this. You're not you know, I'm a Stevie Won the type of guy I just love Stevie, I love Marvin Wynings.
Speaker 1: What what you mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: For me, like most of my top singer gospel scene should because you know what I'm saying, and and and and who else singing one more? You got one more? One more more, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go jazz Main Jazell. I'm gonna go jazz Man.
Speaker 1: Just for me, just for that. Just you know what I'm saying. She's a killer.
Speaker 4: And I didn't know I had to do top five RB singers, so I'm just really off the dome.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: Like that, I wouldn't that I wouldn't mind saying. When I think about singers, I think about who I wouldn't mind listening to you thank you want them to.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't mind just listening to for two three.
Speaker 4: Hours at a concert sing Yes, some singers like I can hear a couple of songs of this.
Speaker 3: So when I think about Jay that south lest top five R and B songs, Okay, I will close down.
Speaker 4: I got the Yeah, I'm gonna tell you right now. Purple Ring, Yeah, Purple Ring. I want to be close. Switch.
Speaker 1: You know I love Switch. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Anything about fire and desire. Yes, Ricke, Rick.
Speaker 1: Shangee Marie the most underrated singer of all times. All you think Rick is underrated.
Speaker 2: More underrated than James Brown because James Brown underrated to people, don't bring in James Brown's but I mean, here's the.
Speaker 3: Thing though, James Brown has a title in front of his name, the Godfather, right, so they're there in itself is flowers out of this world, right, There is no title in front of Rick.
Speaker 1: James's name is James.
Speaker 4: I can remember, I can remember exactly where I was was singing boys the Man into the role, Yeah, Chicago.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you leave me now you take away. The biggest part of me I was school. I was on a school bus. Man, I was on school. That's my top five song.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 1: He shout out to the bus driver for playing playing right for the kids. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. Going to middle school. He's playing that. He's playing on the on the bus, like what you kids want to hear.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because it's like those songs, those tunes right there, like they they do something to you as a kid that you don't know. You don't know what's going to realize, what is what's in you. Let's get to let's get to your vultron brother. We're gonna build your super R and B artists. Because we build your super R and B artists. We want to know who you're going to get the vocal from, Who you're gonna get the performance style from, who you're gonna get the styling from, who you're gonna get the passion of the artists from, and who's going to produce for this artist. Who you're gonna beat the vocal from. For your vultrans out there. That's how you're gonna do. That's how you're acting, right whatever. Okay, okay, play with it. Soul stirring vocal, soul stirring performance style. You know, performance You can't gotta go m J got Donnie on the vocal, m J on the feet, got it all right, They can't play with j Man styling Stalind for me for me is Jodasy.
Speaker 1: For all of us. Styland for me is Jodas. Go back to the episode we had k c on here we dressed up as Jodas. Yeah, we had.
Speaker 4: I didn't even see that. We thought we was members. I see wow, wow. I didn't play with it right like when they came.
Speaker 3: When they came with that style, I couldn't afford the leather, but I definitely wore all black.
Speaker 1: You can't now. I can now find me some leather overalls when you get a second.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 4: They changed everything, changed everything that people don't know that like like the boys yo to see, they changed.
Speaker 1: They changed a lot, changed meat, the passion.
Speaker 4: Of the artists, the passion. I haven't been around no one in his music game with the passion like Shirley Season, not with the passion that lady listen. I used to think. I used to think Shirley was on drugs. I used to think she was on coke. I used to be in church, watch your perform and I used to tell I used to tell my brothers say, ain't no way that lady performing like they ain't on something.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 4: Until I start working with her and being around her and I got to know her and her passion. It's so incredible, man, It's just what she was. That's just who she is, like like and and like. And I've been around a lot of people, man, like a lot of artists I've been around, and I ain't been around nobody as passionate as that lady man when it comes to the Lord and loving God and loving what she do, like her passion for what she does.
Speaker 1: Wow, I learned so much being around Shirley past the season. Wow. Who's producing for this artist? Terry Lewis. Yeah, I'm only a human, I'm young. Yeah, I'm just in the cut learning.
Speaker 3: You talk about a body of work top top to bottom.
Speaker 1: The sound Jam and Lewis, Man, Jam and Lewis.
Speaker 4: Of course he got something else here.
Speaker 2: Come on taking back to each other, tacond back to your he was on the road, you know what I mean in the church bus.
Speaker 1: Grass, I ain't saying no Nixon. I ain't saying no nigh. I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no name. We please with what you did? Don't say sheep. I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, yo, So it's that time. It's that times. We're at the segment segments. Card, I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 1: Will you tell us a story? Me coming over here?
Speaker 4: This was the main thing I struggled with why I was coming over here, because the majority of my stories is crazy crazy. We definitely ain't saying o names. Okay, Well, let me introduce you first.
Speaker 1: Let me is this for you? You know what I mean, because you know, we gotta make it. You know, we can't. We can't short you. You know what I'm saying. You got all right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So this is this is I ain't saying no names? Will you tell us a story? Funny and fucked up? Are funny and fucked up? In the Journey Times, Big d The only rule to the game. You can't say no names?
Speaker 1: Got you?
Speaker 4: The only rule to the game. I was scheduled to work with this artist, right, it's a major artist that they call me. Do you want you to get in with this artist? Okay, it's not the only thing. This artist she's she's a little crazy, like you know, she she she'de got into it with a few people, you know, stabbed some people and you know, put just crazy, you know what I mean, Like, you know, if we ain't saying no name, but you know, but she dope though these so I know, like, you know, if you get in with her whatever. So I did my own research about her. It's like, man, stab this person, stab that person.
Speaker 1: You know, she kind of out.
Speaker 4: There, you know, all cool, all right? So the day of the session. I'm always being born and raised in Miami, you learn to carry a gun quick. Yeah, that's just nature, Like if you're living in this city. So I'm known, people tell you about. I'm a gun collector. I love collecting guns, going to the gun shows and everything. So I I say, you know, we're not gonna what I'm gonna do is this particular session, I'm gonna have my gun on the board the console, So understanding right out the gate, Right right out the gate, we're gonna have a We're gonna have an understanding soon as say walk in. You know what I'm saying, like, this is how I'm such and such. Yeah, I'm big d you know. Right out the gate, let's establish some things, you know what I mean. We're here to do songs and and so when they saw the whatever, so like that's pretty much how relationship started. Like they were like, man, you're crazy, I can't believe you, you know, And we really became friends after.
Speaker 1: But that's how we met each other.
Speaker 4: That's how session started, and that's how we became friends from that right there.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: She understood that I will in the water play with and I understood who she was and now since we got past that, not let's write some ship and do some records.
Speaker 1: Records, music business. It's a music business. You're not gonna stab me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: That's not happening. Listen. I can go wherever you want to go. But now what you want to do? You want to start here, you want and that's how you know what, And that's how O sessions started. And you know, we've been friends.
Speaker 4: Like we laugh about it, but I haven't seen it in a while, but whenever we do see each other, we always know that is great.
Speaker 1: And that's.
Speaker 4: And that was the only story. Like I got plenty stories, but that was the only one that I felt like it wasn't too crazy because my other stories is really I had.
Speaker 1: A great resolve too.
Speaker 3: You guys got some stuff done, your friends lessons of redemptive qualities in.
Speaker 1: This you can tell us the other stories, like.
Speaker 3: Ye brother, you I mean you you're a gym brother.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Y'all for having me.
Speaker 4: Man, I've never I've never did this, like a podcast thing like this, Like I've always been the person that I never did want to do interviews and talk like because I'm not it's man, for y'all to call me like, I really appreciate. I appreciate, appreciate that, man, because you don't know who people acknowledge your talent and work like that. And I appreciate y'all giving me my flowers like this, man, because this is an honor to me. Like I saw y'all lined up the people y'all interviewed, and I've always said, man, I shouldn't even be on that, man, But I just I like, man, I really appreciate what y'all doing, man, and and I'm honored to be here.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: I appreciate y'all for having me here. Man, thank you, thank you, I said, listen, man, we appreciate you.
Speaker 3: We got workship do but I promise you this, if we got an hour and some change, we're gonna pull up tonight and see see what you're doing.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 10: They got good food there too. They got good food there, yo, listen, they got the best food. It's like, hold on, y'all, y'all don't know about finger lickings. Of course, this is class class freezing.
Speaker 1: That's the class. That's his brother floor, right, they all it's all the family thing. The food is incredible. You just come out for like an hour. They got that real sweet drink that they have at the liquors. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. They call that the misty, the misty, what is it? What is it? Lobster bikes? They got it the liquors. You know you're right across the street. I know what's going on. Come on, come on. You know I've been moving around down here too big. You know what I'm saying. You know, you know I know the landlord, but I know the Landlord. But I got a unit in here.
Speaker 3: Man, I.
Speaker 1: Keep forgetting tasting me. Like listen, man, y'all gotta come pull up on me to done. I won't, I won't. I will trust me. I want to announce it. I want no good.
Speaker 4: Come fellowship with our brother, come fellowship.
Speaker 1: Let's stage. Listen. The band is incredible. Yeah, I believe it.
Speaker 4: And y'all gonna love the y'all gonna love the scenery.
Speaker 1: Man, it's nice, some nice scenery. What the Lord is doing. I know what he's doing. Yeah, I know what he's doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Lord delivers this those feet ever so softmen. Yeah, he provides because I know it's something in the water down here.
Speaker 1: You're gonna love the festival. Yeah, it is natural. Give it to him out the wound. Yes, yes, hey man, please come by.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be here for prayer. Also there if you need prayer tonight is a man, it will be a prayer line.
Speaker 1: Man. Listen.
Speaker 3: If if y'all need me to sit in a car or something, let me know. I said, we appreciate you, brother, we are we this is this is much needed. We you know, and I know you don't do this and so you pulling up. We appreciate you taking your time, but also we just want to let you know, brother, you deserve this.
Speaker 1: Thank you, man, You deserve this. People.
Speaker 3: People need to hear your conversation and understand who you are. Put a face to the hits into the moments, and understand when they see you. The respect is you know what I'm saying. We finish work though, man, Yeah, I know we already. Yeah, yeah, I don't listen. I don't doubt you, brother, We're getting ready to work.
Speaker 1: I don't doubt you. Listen. I'm more excited about that than we never work.
Speaker 4: We never really and I want, like, I can't wait to get on the phone with Lamb and say, listen, man, listen, we Finn go in with Tank. We really we getting ready, were getting ready to create some magic.
Speaker 3: Make me change my flight man, make me stay extra time you call the way named Big D. I can't big with Big D say you gotta stay. He got a gun on the console like you gotta stay.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 3: Know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you brother. My name is and this is the R V Money podcast, the authority on all things R and B.
Speaker 3: This has been a brother much deserving of every flower, imaginable man, a good brother, awesome brother man, uh an amazing talent with a gift man, Big D.
Speaker 1: What's up? Thank you? R and B Money.
Speaker 2: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscrib viribe to and Radar show, and you can connect with us on social media at Jay Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com, forward slash, R and B Money