Speaker 1: Carrie Line. She's a queen and talking, so.
Speaker 2: She's getting really not afraid to feel so so just let her flow.
Speaker 1: No one can do we quiet, Cary Line.
Speaker 2: It sound like Caroline Dusty Sleigh is in the house. You're you're a fun person to have in the house. Actually, well thank you. Okay, So we were talking about dogs because my dog was like attacking you. Well not really, she just sounds like an attack dog.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I was just sitting in the truck and the dog came up, and I felt like I was back to delivering pizzas again, where I'm calling, I go, hey, your dog's out here, come get your pizza.
Speaker 2: Because honestly, we had this experience with the FedEx driver and fed Ex driver, delivery men, all of them, Like I understand the thing with dogs, because Sugar, my dog ran with her full thing's mouth, ferocious bark. Sounds like she's gonna kill you. The FedEx driver, I have never seen anyone do this in my life. Hauled ass like was flying almost floating on the air, jumped on the back of his tail, of his like bumper, and like climbed up it. Because it's true, Like I know, my dog's not gonna bite you, but like you really are in harm's way.
Speaker 1: Well, he doesn't know. And if you come out and the FedEx drivers out there kicking your dog, you're gonna be like, what's going on here, buddy, it's a tough situation abusing my dog. But he's like, well, your dog was trying to bite me, and you're like, sugar, Sugar wouldn't bite anyone.
Speaker 2: Right, have you been bit?
Speaker 1: I don't think I've been bit. I mean not as an.
Speaker 2: Adult blacked out you can't remember.
Speaker 1: Well I did used to drink a lot, so who knows. But but dogs, I don't know. They're just you know people. I don't think people really understand their dogs these days.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell me why, I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you a story. Tell me I want to hear.
Speaker 2: I want to hear a story. Horrific though, Is it about you?
Speaker 1: It's not about me? But my I got a relative, it's his step mom.
Speaker 2: I'm close to your mouth. Okay, sorry, I'm a little old old school back here. Let's hear you.
Speaker 1: It's pretty horrific. The story, though, I don't know if you want to hear it.
Speaker 2: Did somebody die?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a kid, No, not a kid.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank god.
Speaker 1: I like telling the story.
Speaker 2: Well, then let's hear it does.
Speaker 1: It's pretty horrific though. This my I don't want to say who, but but a relative, his step mom lived next to these people that had these Cane corso dogs. They're like you would have to look up a picture of these dogs. They're huge dogs. And this guy had two of them, and he was out of town. He had his mom house sitting. So my relative's step mom goes over to their house to see the mom and goes to give her a hug. The dogs get out of the cage and attack this woman and kill this woman and her husband. I had to come over and shoot the.
Speaker 2: Dogs after his wife had died.
Speaker 1: Well she wasn't dead yet, to get them off of her. And then she went to the hospital and she died in the hospital. It's it happened in Alabama. You can look up the story. It's out there. It's horrific. But I'm just saying, people like the King Corseo is probably great with the owner, right, they're best friends, the sweetest dogs, I bet, but they're just so strong that if they do attack, there's like nothing you can do. I don't know if this is the best way to start the podcast. Maybe you edit it, add this in towards the middle or end. Because I'm a comedian and I've come in with like just the most horrific story with no jokes in there.
Speaker 2: And just like, do you have a pressure to always sell a joke?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's like, I don't feel the pressure. I'm actually pretty serious.
Speaker 2: I think you are.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think my voice helps me sound funny.
Speaker 2: Is that your real voice or have you worked on this voice?
Speaker 1: No, this is my I mean I smoked for a long time, so it might have added some rasps.
Speaker 2: It's a great voice though, thank you, yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank you. And well, you know, me and my wife we dated long distance for a little while. She's from Canada, so while she was working on a visa. So she always says that this voice kept that relationship going because we would talk on the phone a lot.
Speaker 2: Is it, Yeah, it's just a it's a good voice for your phone voice, right, So have you used it for other things on the phone?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, you know, I'm yeah, I'm not really into I don't know your traditional.
Speaker 2: Dude, Yeah, I like that about you. Dusty.
Speaker 1: I mean I could text some stuff, I think, but I don't, you know, I'm not much. I'm more I could be more of a dirty Texter than a dirty.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, it's easier to text than talk, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think it's way easier to text.
Speaker 1: I think there are a lot of dudes like that, sadly that they've only done online dating. Yeah, so they're really good Texters and then when they meet up with the girl, they don't know.
Speaker 2: What to do exactly.
Speaker 1: I had to go grow up in an era where you like had to talk to people.
Speaker 2: I know, I was offloaded. I would ignore everyone. I was mean. My talking was being mean back in the day. Oh yeah, I don't know if you did that. But if like you wanted to talk to someone, I'm going to be an extra big dick to you.
Speaker 1: No, I did. I do know. That's a thing that women do.
Speaker 2: It's a protective mechanics.
Speaker 1: I wish I knew that back then, because like, there were probably a lot of opportunities for me.
Speaker 2: But he thought they hated you. Yeah, I know, but really, the tests you're supposed to push through, I know you're supposed to show me you don't care that they're a raging bitch.
Speaker 1: I know, I know you are supposed to, but I didn't know back then. I had did a lot of growing up to do.
Speaker 2: I know, if we only knew now, I knew then, right, I.
Speaker 1: Know I was weak with it as a kid. I had to I had to learn things.
Speaker 2: Were you were you good at dating?
Speaker 1: I think I became a good dater.
Speaker 2: Okay, how did you become one?
Speaker 1: Well? I actually worked with this guy who was an older guy.
Speaker 2: He taught you everything, I.
Speaker 1: Think, so yeah, yeah, he was an older guy. He was like at late sixties and he used to play in the NFL. He played for the Buffalo was like way back.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you had like he had. He had game for sure, and he just.
Speaker 1: He had like he looked like Billy Graham a little bit.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: We had big chin, like slick back, kind of gray hair. Ok And we would just you know, we would do a little work and then we would go sit in this truck and he would chain smoke cigarettes.
Speaker 2: You love smoking and being around people would smoke. Yeah, it makes you feel safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You would just talk to me about.
Speaker 2: He would give me some insights.
Speaker 1: We would just ask me things about what was going on in my life, and I was forced to like have a conversation with a one on one conversation with a grown man. That intimidated me.
Speaker 2: Okay, so when you were talking about your dating life, what would he like say, like, what was his like pieces of advice?
Speaker 1: He was just like almost disgusted at my you know, the tactics of the day, you know, just like you know, like things like you know, you meet someone and then you wait a couple of days to call, and then you just all this beating around the book.
Speaker 2: It takes forever, draws it out and really, so what is he saying? Just get right to it?
Speaker 1: It was like, you know, but yeah, be more direct. Just be direct about what you want and if they're not into it, just move on.
Speaker 2: I know. But when you find the one that you think is so cool, especially in a small town, it's like, who do you move on to?
Speaker 1: Well, that's right, but I was, you know, I had moved. I was living in Charleston, South Care, so there was.
Speaker 2: You had a bigger thing.
Speaker 1: It was more like, but yeah, when you're in a small town, it's kind of like the dating is like, oh, I've been knowing you since I was a kid, let's hang out, you know what I mean. So it was I didn't know how to date because I was just like, you know, hey, come over to the party, and.
Speaker 2: Then would you just kind of friends friends on it, or would you like put this was my move.
Speaker 1: If they were at my house and they were sitting over there, I go, I go, why are you sitting way over there? And then if they moved, then you got okay.
Speaker 2: But if they didn't move, well, then you know you were supposed to pursue.
Speaker 1: It was, you know, the move work more often than you would say.
Speaker 2: You weren't laid back guy about it. You weren't like pressing forward.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess outwardly I was laid back right right. Internally, there's probably a lot going on.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: You know you're like, oh, well, you know I told that to my friend. He loved that. I used to That was my move, Why you're sitting way over there? It worked a lot of times.
Speaker 2: Is that how you got your wife?
Speaker 1: No, my wife used to do comedy.
Speaker 2: Well, I snooped for Instagram and she's funny too. What is like two comics of one house?
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny. Most of the time. We have two kids. Now we have a four year old and a two year old, so you know, it gets stressful.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I had three kids a day. I normally have one. And I was like, this is why people don't gentle parent. Yeah, you can't. When you get like out numbered, your brain literally explodes.
Speaker 1: No, we're stressed. I yelled at my son the other day. He's too Yeah, and I later I go. I asked my wife her, go, you mad at me? And she was like, why I go because I yelled at you know, our son, and she goes, I yell at the kids all the time. She goes, I think I've ruined my relationship with our daughter yelling at her. But it's like, you don't mean to yell, but you're like, it's like, what else do you do? It's like, you know, you can give a spanking whench You know, we do do that. We're not into it, we don't like it, Yeah, but we do do it because it's like, I don't know, I feel like there's yelling and then there's spanking. What else is there? They'll go sit in the corner thing. It doesn't work for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No, I had three today. And I was like, literally love all of them. They're great kids, amazing, but all together my brain was fully exploding and I was like, you do what I say because I said it. Yeah, I didn't really say that, but in my head, well, my you know.
Speaker 1: My son's at the table the other day, he's eating, he's he has this piece of watermelon. He throws it on the floor and we go, don't throw your food on the floor, and then he makes eye contact with us and throws more food on the floor, and it's like, what do you do do you? You know, you can't let the kid run you.
Speaker 2: I know, I know. So I have an only child. So an only child, there is like a caveat because you can kind of go over and you can be like, hey, don't do that because and you have like the patient to explain and there's no other kid to like feel it on. So like I feel like I've been able to talk better with her, But like, I don't think you can do it when you have more than one kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found if you give one spanking and the other kid sees, then you can ride.
Speaker 2: That out for a while because there's a fear fact.
Speaker 1: You can go hey, you know, we're doing spanking. We do this, we're doing spankings.
Speaker 2: Again, they're not out ruled, they're not out there, still here, they have not left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you rotate them so you don't have to do it a lot and you don't want you know, it's like it's a quick thing. It's only to inflict the slightest amount of pain just to go, Hey, your bad behavior is a you know, you associate that with this pain, and you go, I don't want that, So maybe I'll listen to what my dad says.
Speaker 2: I know it only sent me to therapy for my whole adult life, but I think it's totally funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I don't think I got spanked enough. And you know, I could probably use therapy too, that's what my wife tells me.
Speaker 3: You don't do therapy.
Speaker 2: Oh no, really, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I don't want a stranger to know all my problems.
Speaker 2: Well who knows all your problems?
Speaker 1: I don't know unless I turn them into jokes.
Speaker 2: No, is that how you're outlet?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you just keep it all inside?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 2: Have you started at your beginning of the beginning childhood trauma?
Speaker 1: Well, I think I try to deal with it on my own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, because you make it into jokes, so your jokes are funny though you talk about them. And also we'll get back to your wife because I sidetracked. I'm so excited to talk to you, Dusty, I like splatter my thoughts, but I want to know about your wife. But we're gonna come back. But you were born in a trailer park and you grew up with a lot of cigarette smoke. I know that. Yeah, because you love a cigarette.
Speaker 1: I do. I don't smoke anymore. I do smoke cigars. Even though I'm on a two week break.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna why are you going a break?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I do it too much, and I.
Speaker 2: Think it are you trying to break up with things? That's what my husband says. He's like, I'm just trying to find something else to break up with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I love cigars, but I just I feel like I just was doing it too much. Like it's like I go, I can go, like all right, I only do it after shows. I'll do it two or three times a week, and then it becomes slowly every night of the week, and then I start slipping in daytime cigars, and then I gotta scale it back. I gotta go, let's take a break, and let's get back to only after comedy shows. And I have a show tonight, so I think I'll probably end up breaking the cigar thing.
Speaker 2: Where's your show at Zanne's? Zadi? Is there anywhere else to do shows but Zani's in Nashville.
Speaker 1: There are other shows, but Zany's is the only club and the best club.
Speaker 2: And your face is on the wall it is. Yeah, that feels good.
Speaker 1: Zanie's has two clubs now side by side, so we have two rooms. And then I also do comedy at the Opry.
Speaker 2: And then forty times.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I've probably about that many times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you have to scale back your jokes at the Opry to make sure they're like blue haired friendly because you know there's gonna be a bunch of older people at the opera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean there's certain jokes I won't do, but the you know, the Opry's cool with me. They like me, and I'll just go Can you push it.
Speaker 2: A little bit because there's such a respect thing with the Opry.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm pretty clean as it is. I like that about you, But I'll ask them. I had a joke where I was talking about the you know, Brooks and Song. I don't know. I've been done The working Man. What's it called Workingman? I don't know, hard working, hard working man. It's on my special that's coming out July twenty on Netflix. Netflix.
Speaker 2: Is this your second one? Yeah, you're so cool. I mean a Netflix special that's a big dealing. The whole world can watch it if they want to. I know, you're just like on everyone's TV.
Speaker 1: I know, it's pretty amazing. I feel like, I don't mean it's amazing, like look at what I've done. I mean it's amazing, Like I can't believe it's happened.
Speaker 2: A lot of comics don't get a special. Yeah, but you've gotten too. That's true, So you're very good.
Speaker 1: I funded these specials myself, right. The first one was really a big deal because I was like, it cost a lot to have people come and film things.
Speaker 2: Do you know that it's gonna make it to Netflix when.
Speaker 1: You do it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I no either special. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: So you're just hoping that it's gonna make it to Netflix.
Speaker 1: A minut'es like you might end up on YouTube which is fine. I have stuff on YouTube that does very well, but on Netflix. Yeah, the amount of money that it takes to film.
Speaker 2: These things, how much money?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't even want to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's too much. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're but worth it when it makes it a good gamble, but you got a gamble.
Speaker 1: It It is worth it when it makes it. But if it goes to YouTube, it's like, I don't know, you could make the money back, but it would need a lot of views.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you get much more famous every time you have a special one?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Well, this is my second one. So I did go from clubs to theaters with the first one.
Speaker 2: That feels nice.
Speaker 1: So now I'm trying to get to like two thousand seat theaters.
Speaker 2: That's this is just like an artist fine the same way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, comedy and music are so much the same, except for I travel alone.
Speaker 2: Is that depressing?
Speaker 1: It's I guess it can be, but it's also awesome. I mean, I don't have to hang out with a ton of people all the time.
Speaker 2: Are you kind of an introvert?
Speaker 1: I think so. I never thought of myself like that, but now that I do comedy and I get to go out and you know, do this comedy for hundreds of people, sometimes thousands. I yeah, like want to not talk to people? Yeah, you know, I mean you you know you do. I do a lot of podcasts and I like doing them. But yeah, you just I'm just talking all the time, all the time.
Speaker 2: It's like exhausting, right.
Speaker 1: And if I'm if I travel alone, you know, I walk through the airport with headphones on, I just listen to music. It's great. And then but if I travel with someone, We're talking the whole time, right, And then you never stop talking, right, You talk and talk and talk, and then you get to the you get to the venue, and then you go to comedy and then after you go have cigars.
Speaker 2: And you can't be in a bad mood either, you know, like you have to be nice to people. Not that like I'm trying to be in a bad mood, but like people are like wanting you to talk, and they're wanting you to be funny, and they're wanting you to like engage with them all the time, and you if you don't, then they're gonna think you're an asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, And I get recognized because I got a pretty recognizable look. Yeah, but sometimes you know, I like wearing a hat, right, So it's like I don't want to not wear a hat just because I don't want people to recognize me. But I used to, especially on Sundays on like the on the on the way home, I would take edibles and just you know, just relax and.
Speaker 2: Really on the airplane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on the airplane, I'm walking through the airport and I'm just like, yeah, I'm just in the zone. But now people come up and talk to me, and I feel like, I I feel like I seem so stupid when people come up and talk to me because I'm like, I'm all, I'm all zoned out.
Speaker 2: Are you on an edible stiff?
Speaker 1: I still like to do them. I mean I don't do them when I do comedy, but it's on the way home.
Speaker 2: Have you have you ever done comedy? Stone? No?
Speaker 1: Maybe like an open mic.
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't like it? No, No, you're risky.
Speaker 1: It's just like you can't trust weed.
Speaker 2: Oh, like what might happen?
Speaker 1: Well, it's like one time you do weed and you're like all fun and everything. You're so you're like, oh, I'm having a good time here and and everybody's laughing, and you're like, I'm such a great mood. I feel good. And then another time you're like, I can't believe that I even do comedy.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So insane and you need so strong. It's like one I did. I was in Portland, Maine, and I bought some weed at a dispensary. I bought a pre roll joint. I did one hit out on a park bench and I was gonna smoke a cigar and I was so high out there. I was like, I was like, I don't need to be outside. I don't think I could smoke the cigar, but I don't need to go in my hotel room and be alone right now. I need something. And then my wife called and I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: Good, she knew I need She could feel it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, because I tell my wife, I go, oh yeah, I thought I was having a heart attack in the hotel last night. And then she goes, were you on edibles? I go yeah. She goes, oh, okay, well, and then she's not worried about it. Right, stuff happens to me with edibles. I was you keep going I know. I don't know why I was convinced. I was had like a like a pain, like a pressure right here, and I convinced myself my gallbladder was gonna explode.
Speaker 2: Why gallbladder.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what this is. I don't even know it.
Speaker 2: Your mid chest, Yeah, I think your robber is a lawyer, but okay, goble.
Speaker 1: And I just I was in La. I was doing the Netflix as a Joke Comedy festival, and I had a night off, so I just did a little edible, just was in my hotel room and then but all the other people were staying at this hotel and I was like I felt trapped in there because I was like I don't want to leave and run into other people to talk.
Speaker 2: So you don't like to be around people on an edible.
Speaker 1: No, not really just my friends. But I was like, I'm afraid I'll run into somebody and they'll go, hey, do you want to come do this podcast? You know? So I was like I got to stay in here. I was like, I was like, am I going to go to the emergency room in La?
Speaker 2: So you're one of those cases that thinks they're dying by.
Speaker 1: Weed sometimes and I started like burping, and then it started to feel better, and I was like, oh good, it's so insane. But the Opry I was going to say, Yes, there was a joke where I wanted to say prostitute, right, So I asked him at the Opry, I go, can I say prostitute?
Speaker 2: Can we hear the joke?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a longer joke, but I I just talk about the hard working man song by he's.
Speaker 2: A steel hard hat or.
Speaker 1: A steel hard hat, Yeah, and then I just kind of break that song down. Yeah, But basically in the song, he's kind of telling you that he works so hard, but yet he can't he can't understand where all his money's going. And then he says, you know, come Friday night, I like to party hard. I like to carry on with the Cadillac Cuties, spend my whole week's pay on some weekend beauty.
Speaker 2: And does that mean prostitute?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I never knew that.
Speaker 1: There you're spending everything you make and one night on some sort of a prostitute here, and that it's a longer joke.
Speaker 2: Did it go over well?
Speaker 1: It was great. The Opry loves things to be a touch.
Speaker 2: Dirty okay a little. How do you have your meter, because I'm going to tell you something, dusty. I don't like the heavy meter of vulgar, like if if someone is too vulgar. I went and saw somebody I don't even know who. It was a big comedian because we were like at a big venue and I was just like everything was like making fun of someone or super vulgar or incredibly sexual, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, I am so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: But I'm also like I'm just not good at laughing and stuff like that. But people were dying.
Speaker 1: I know, people like you.
Speaker 2: Are so funny. You and I can never say it's correct name Nate Gargets Nate Bergazi.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been told that I've been saying it wrong. Apparently it's Bargetzi. I do a podcast with him. I know wrong for years. Apparently it's Barghetzi, Barghetsi. Bargatzi is how it's spelled.
Speaker 2: Bargatzi. Yeah, but you two run together, and I love y'all style and ver but I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I you know, I feel like I get a little dirtier, but I like to me, I like I always describe it like you're like the edgy guy in church, right right, it's not so bad that they're like, I don't want that guy around anymore.
Speaker 2: You like rode up in a motorcycle and you were smoking cigarette on the way in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're saying the stuff totally nobody else will say. But it's not too.
Speaker 2: Fall, but everyone's definitely thinking it.
Speaker 1: You're like you're making fun of grandma a little bit.
Speaker 2: But everyone's still laughing. Yeaeah, okay, So you so if this if vulgar, vulgar's ten and then like nothing is zero? Where are you?
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe a three.
Speaker 2: I like that about you, though, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like doing that I used to do. I got some jokes that are a little dirtier here and there. I got some jokes I'm working on now where I'm like making fun of all these It feels like all these stores and stuff or like like Dick Sporting Goods, It's like, why we calling it?
Speaker 2: That's actually no, I'm with you. There's more stores like that too, Yeah, you probably know them.
Speaker 1: Well. There's Bej's. There's a lot of initials guys. Yeah, and there's I mean out in Myrtle Beach. They love to name the restaurants. You know, there's also there's Dick's Last Resort, and then they like a crab shack loves to play into crabs. There was a place I'm not making this up. This is North Myrtle Beach. This is a restaurant right off. It's called Dirty Dick's Crab House. And I'm like, geez, guys, let's let's relax a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, is it?
Speaker 3: That's funny?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so it's like a little dirty because I'm saying all these things. But like there's other stuff where like like these like kind of like American Mexican restaurants. They love to like play like you know, uh you know, like they're like what do they say, like suck the tequila, suck the lime. Uh you know, I don't know. It's like suck and lick and and I'm like, guys, there's kids in here. You know. It's like we're just we can handle, you know, we can drink and eat you know, tacos without all this.
Speaker 2: I agree with you.
Speaker 1: And the host was wearing this shirt. It was like, I forget the whole thing, but it was like suck lick and blow. But it was like those words were real big, and then the little font was like tequila lawn salt, and it's like okay, break. Yeah, It's like at least Hooters back in the day, Hooters was like you knew what Hooters was, right. They weren't pretending to be something else. They were like, this is what's going on in here?
Speaker 2: I mean they needed Hooters for boobs, right, Yeah, it's that obvious, correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean they try to put an owl in the logo, right, we know what's going right, they got a calendar. They're really putting it out there. This is what we're doing. They weren't trying to lure the kids in no, no.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I went as a kid, of course, but I grew up in a trailer. My mom was a big fan of Alan Kolwiki, the NASCAR driver that drove the Hooters call.
Speaker 2: Did that shape your life growing up going to Hooters all the time and living in a trailer with people like oh, well, that just let you know, because you said you used to tell adult jokes all the time and people would laugh at you and you didn't know what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there was a joke. I mean, I just I did Tracy Lawrence's podcast and I told some of this joke. But it's like, yeah, there was a joke that you would tell. And it was like he was like a kid. He took a shower with his mom and he was like looked up and he goes, what are those? And she's like them are my headlights? And then he's like what's that? She goes, then are my gates? And then he took a shower with his dad and he's like what is that? And he goes, that's my Z twenty eight, you know. And then like the mom's in bed one night and the dad's coming in and the kid goes, better turn on your head lights, better open your gates, because here comes daddy with a Z twenty eight. Right, And that's a stupid joke.
Speaker 2: That's terrible.
Speaker 1: But I'm a little kid, and my older cousins told me this joke. Yeah, and I used to tell this to people all the time. Yeah, and adults loved it. Yeah, they would go, you shouldn't be telling stuff like that, but right after they got done laughing.
Speaker 2: So did you always know you're funny? Is that what started it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I think I like I was around funny people. My mom's funny, my dad's funny.
Speaker 2: You like your parents.
Speaker 1: I like them. They're not married, but I do like them.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like them. We get along, I mean yeah, I mean we I fight well, my dad at a bit, but we get along. We're very similar, I think. So we can't be around each other too long. Yeah, because if anything comes up that we disagree on, nobody we neither will budge.
Speaker 2: Really, so, y'all are both real stubborn. Yeah, but I feel like.
Speaker 1: I'm always right when it comes to these. I think my dad thinks he's always right. Yeah, and so I'm like, I go, I always go. I don't want to argue with you.
Speaker 2: But getting hot inside and stand offish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean. We yelled at each other on Christmas, you know, long ago, Okay, you know so, and then we we got some family photos that we took, and we did that right after we got done yelling at each other. They look good, But you know what's you know. I mean, almost every family picture a fight has gone down with someone right before it's taken.
Speaker 2: That's the magic of a family photo. You really actually knew what was going on behind that picture. At every family photo.
Speaker 1: We too, going at the waffle House and Hermitage, we all went eight and then we forgot to get a photo. So my dad was like, let's find somebody to get her.
Speaker 2: That's a good spot.
Speaker 1: And then we couldn't find anyone and then we finally found a guy. But we fought in between.
Speaker 2: You and your dad and found y'all fought at the waffle house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody was fighting. We were outside. We actually found a nice spot that was kind of on some limestone, so you don't really know. It's in a wane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that might have been cooler.
Speaker 1: That would have been cooler probably, yeah, next time, next time. Yeah, but the yeah, so yeah, so there's a lot of family photos where oh we all know how to smile. Yeah, we just did throw it up. And actually, I don't even know if we're that mad.
Speaker 2: We're just is it just like a habit, it's just you'll thing, I think, so, like it's just how y'all communicate and show love, because you can't get mad at somebody if you don't love them.
Speaker 1: I guess that's so maybe that's just I love it is that that's our thing.
Speaker 2: That's how you say I love your dad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then yeah, and so I get along with all my family. I think a lot of my family liked it better when I drank because I was more fun.
Speaker 2: You were a fine drunk. Yeah, I was lou Okay.
Speaker 1: Now I'm more serious okay than I used to be when I was drinking all the time.
Speaker 2: How have you found an outlet?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How do you did you feel like you had to find your personality again? Was it like what was the transition period?
Speaker 1: Like they say people say this that if you get wasted all the time that you stop maturing.
Speaker 2: I believe that.
Speaker 1: And then when you get sober, you're like rapidly mature.
Speaker 2: Because you have so much. It's just like catching up at lightning experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I started. I mean I started drinking probably seventeen, which is really late for a kid in Alabama.
Speaker 2: And a Tuler park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I held out. But you know, at twenty one though, I really got into it because I know I was always looked real young, so I couldn't get into bars. I never was. I never wanted to sneak into a bar, but we would drink. But once I had the access to the bar, I was like, this is great. This is what I've been missing. Uh huh, just going to a place where people were at and you just hanging, You're just drinking and just being fun. Yeah, I blocked out. I was a black out drinker.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I would be in the ball I would make friends with everybody.
Speaker 2: In there where you didn't know you were making friends.
Speaker 1: No, no, we were. This is what would happened to me. I would make friends with everybody. We'd have a good time, everything's great, and then I would go one shot too far and then and then my eyes would get all glossy and it would be like that. You know, you could make eye contact with me, but there's a emptiness in there. I think it's referred to as hollow eyed in country music. Okay, and that's when and then suddenly I would lose all those friends that I just made. I would get mad at people, and it was a real darkness in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but you have you have you? Why'd you stop? Did you figure out why you were getting?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I just started to feel real bad. I was just gained in a lot of weight because I was eating real bad all the time, and I just felt bad and I wanted to like take a break, and then I just started feeling so good that I was like, this is great. Yeah, and I'm like why and then I remember, I mean, it's so far in the now, but I remember, you know, I remember when I hit a month of no drinking, I was like, oh man, this is pretty great. And then I hit two months, which I had never done. I had taken a month break here and there. I wrecked a car one time and took a month. I got beat up real bad one time and took a month off.
Speaker 2: Gosh, beat up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was fine. I was you know, I was a real mouth I mean I should have been killed because I was so mouthy. I would get I would get myself in all kinds of situations. But I'm a good talker, so I think most times I was a talker enough to make someone not want to find Okay, they were I'm I think maybe they were unsure about what would happen. But I got jumped by a few guys. I mean I was probably twenty two or twenty three.
Speaker 2: So you're just letting it fly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I got both my eyes were swollen, shunk, but I never bled, and there was no broken bones, and so I felt pretty good about it.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty solid I think, so pretty strong.
Speaker 1: No scars.
Speaker 2: Yeah I get you now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like I got beat up, but not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I used to have pictures, but I had them on a hard drive and the hard drive broke.
Speaker 2: It's another gone, and I think.
Speaker 1: I think maybe it's good. I think I had that whole phase of my life in a hard drive and it's locked away.
Speaker 2: Can you believe that?
Speaker 1: I know, it's pretty wild.
Speaker 2: So when so, have you been in a new face since? Did you like reinvent yourself or like what happened when you decided to close that chapter?
Speaker 1: Well, when I I was already doing comedy. But when I quit drinking, I quit drinking at twenty nine, but I was almost thirty, So basically my twenties I drank the whole time.
Speaker 2: So you only drank for like a little like ten years, like ten years, yeah, okay, not all you needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I drank enough. I mean I lived in Charleston, South Carolina. I don't know if you've been, but it's a yeah, it's a beautiful place. I lived on the beach for a while. I lived downtown. It's just like you know, day drink. I love the day drink. I love to go out to happy hour with a with the window open and a and a sea breeze blowing.
Speaker 2: In while also a romantic sounding.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I'm eating shrimp, cocktails, hot wings and uh you know, raw oysters and drinking margarita.
Speaker 2: It's just oh yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. Yeah yeah, and then wrecking my bike on the way home or something like that, you know, in front of some tourists just trying to enjoy their life. Yeah, you know, here's some guy in his work uniform with a bunch of cocktail saucepilled on it. You know that sort of stuff. You know, because I worked at a seafood restaurant for a while. Uh and so a place called Hyman Seafood is what it was called. And uh, but I worked there for a long time. It's great. They got my picture on the wall in there.
Speaker 2: You got your picture on your wall in a lot of places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I encourage it.
Speaker 2: Does it make you feel like you kind of like have ownership and that place?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, make it feels good to know that people love you, like Yeah, yeah, I got I went to my hometown of oap like Alabama this past year was the grand marshal of the Christmas Parade, and I got a key to the city.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: So that's good. Yeah, it feels great. Yeah, because I you know, even some of my high school friends saw me at the parade and they go, they were like so surprised. They were like, not that, not that I'm doing well, but they were like, did you ever think you would be getting this? Because you know, I was getting into you know, I was getting into some stuff.
Speaker 2: So you could have gone a lot of different directions.
Speaker 1: Oh So, I mean, like, it's wild how you can look at your life and just go, man, this could have gone a lot of ways. Yeah. Uh, even just like a regular way, Like I was a pesticide salesman and I was doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I saw you talk about that.
Speaker 1: I had a salary position. I always make fun of the job, but I had a salary and I had a car allowance.
Speaker 2: And heck y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was that awesome. Yes, it was a good job. Yeah, and I could have just did that.
Speaker 2: Why'd you stop?
Speaker 1: Well, I just you know, wanted to do other things.
Speaker 2: You want to do comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was already like doing comedy and I on comedy contest in Charleston.
Speaker 2: Okay, were you just kind of like trying it on or were you like kind of being professional at that time?
Speaker 1: Well? No, I was just it was just something to do. It's like it's a way to meet people. You're doing. You go to a bar, you drink with your buddies, and then we all do comedy and you know, you just keep.
Speaker 2: Drinking and then you kind of started getting good at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I started getting good. Then I went a contest and I was like, oh, maybe I could make something out of this. So I won a contest in late twenty eleven, and then in January of twenty twelve, I quit drinking. So and then I got way better at comedy in that number, Like, okay, better almost right away.
Speaker 2: Why do you think?
Speaker 1: I just think that I was more focused. I had more time to do things, because when you when you're drinking in a fun city, it doesn't even seem sad that you're doing this. Yeah, you're like, yeah, I can walk down to the bar. I can walk down to the bar alone into a bar filled with people I know yeah, and just we can drink it have a good time in as everything I've described, or even there was a bar called Big Johns, which was a dark, dingy bar where we used to smoke cigarettes. Yeah, even that. It was fun in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I do.
Speaker 1: They were doing karaoke, and but you.
Speaker 2: Can't get stuck there. If you get stuck at Big John's, there comes a point where you got to phase out. Yeah, because you see the people who've been at Big John's too.
Speaker 1: Long, and you're like, and I I was always, you know, when I was drinking, I was always a little poetic. I like to, you know, I like to I would get you know, this was before social media and I had I would write in notebooks. I write jokes. But then sometimes if I got too drunk, I would I would write little poems, or I would write messages to myself to remember to be mad at certain people.
Speaker 2: Do not forget.
Speaker 1: But I wrote on the bathroom in Big John's because everybody wrote on the bathroom in Big John's. And I remember writing here I am again, like I said, I wouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great song title. Yeah, have you given that toy of your songwriter friends?
Speaker 1: No, m no, but no, none of the songwriter people take my auntie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell my husband when he comes up here, and y'all can ride it together.
Speaker 1: Okay, that'd be great, Yes you should. But when I so, every time I would be in Big John's and I would be drunk, I would pass by that thing that I had written on the wall and go, oh, geez, here I am again in here.
Speaker 2: Oh and this so there camp point, You're like, okay, I'm done. Yeah, being in Big Johns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, just yeah, I mean everything in general. It just like I would. I live downtown, so sometimes I would go out of down. I would drive out of downtown and I would go drink at these other bars and then I would drive my car back to my apartment.
Speaker 2: Already not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like drinking and driving in Charleston in the you know, early two thousands to mid two thousands, everyone in the entire city was.
Speaker 2: Doing so no one should be on the roads. Really no.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know what it's like now because uber and lift exist. Yeah, but back then, it's like I tell people, like I tell my wife, who grew up in Canada, how much I used to drink and drive and it blows her mind that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we would, you know, we would all go to the restaurant. It's pretty awful. Can you believe it? Like back in the day.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it at all.
Speaker 2: I know, it's so like unbelievable because you're really not present at all driving a car.
Speaker 1: No, we would, you know, you know, ten of us would get off work at the restaurant. We would go to another restaurant. It would be midnight when we got out of there, so we would get drunk as fast as we could and then all go get in our cars and driving home. It terrible, Yeah, I know, and and you know, and that's just what we were doing all the time. But I had a bar right next to my house, so I would get real you know, wasted, and then drive home and then stumble into this other bar and try to like I don't know what I was trying to do, just trying to keep it going.
Speaker 2: I know, isn't it weird? Because then when you get out of it, I haven't drank it three years either, and it's like, what was I trying? What was I trying to do? I because you're not what's the goal?
Speaker 1: You know? Yeah, and I didn't really use AA but I had a friend one time who was in the program. He gave me the Big Blue Book and I read that book and I and then I also went to a couple of meetings with some other people later and like their slogan is like I think it's like one is too many and a thousand isn't enough, And that was the case for me. I was told like I wasn't like waking up in the morning drinking, but I was totally like once I started, yeah, it was on.
Speaker 2: That was it. Yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: I mean, I you know, a couple of times I've like, you know, you go, I'd be a happy hour and like, you know, we would go to brunch and we would do mimosas, and then we would stay until it started to turn into you know, afternoon drinks, and then I'd do a shot of some whiskey and then go around to the side of the building and throw up and then come back in and keep going. I know, it's disgusting.
Speaker 2: It's a different age. I was talking to Maddie. He's right here and she's twenty five, and I was like, y'all iteration just knows better than ours. It like ours is like let's get as drunk as possible because it's awesome, and they're like, oh my gosh, that is so unhealthy. It's like how you know how we use to kind of use cigarettes, like we knew it was bad for us. Yeah, but it's like now they know it's bad for them for some reason we didn't know or we.
Speaker 1: Didn't well, I don't think we cared. Also, they say that drinking is like an all time belove.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because this new generation is smart.
Speaker 1: I think they're smart. But also there's so much video now, uh huh that nobody wants to be caught on video.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good batch. Oh yeah, because nothing was documented back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could be.
Speaker 2: You could go crazy, like that's when rock stars were throwing TV's out of window. Could you imagine if someone did that now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it's like that. I think it's Joe Walsh has that song where he says, I live in hotels, tear out the walls, I have accountdance, pay for it all. It's like nobody's doing that.
Speaker 2: Nobody you would be, you would be, you would be canceled.
Speaker 1: I clean up my hotel before I check out, you do.
Speaker 3: I like to make sure everything's in this spot.
Speaker 1: That cleaning up I tip. I'm like, I can't, you know, I feel bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to leave it a wreck.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine trash in a hotel.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, right, I know. Okay, So tell me about your life. Now. How'd you meet your wife? She's from Canada. You are both comedians.
Speaker 1: We were both visiting New York City doing open mics.
Speaker 2: George in the city at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was visiting from Toronto. I was visiting from Charleston and we were just doing open mics and we met at this one open mic, and then, you know, I think I think she was pretty unhappy with how her trip was going in the comedy world. Uh. And she was like, like she told me, she was like, I was in part of my language. She said, I was in bitch mode. She was like I was, I was like mad or whatever. And then she came up to me at this barn. She goes, hey, where's the sign up for the open mic? Okay, and then she heard me talk and she goes, oh, this guy's not from around here, you know, And so we just kind of hung out because I was like, I didn't know anyone either, and so we just kind of hung out. And then the rest of that week while she was in town, we just went around and did open mics together.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's fun. Y'all have that in common. You kind of maybe need to be married someone who at least appreciates humor. Yeah, but guess better if they're good at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also just understands like the road kind of stuff that I'm gonna be, you know gone. Because she did comedy for a long time with me, and then she eventually, yeah, we would, Yeah, she would open for me, and then because I already had a bunch of gigs, so she would just go with me. And she's really good at comedy, but she just eventually was like I hate doing this. She's like, I don't want to do this.
Speaker 2: No, it's not for the faint of heart. Yeah, and brutal out there.
Speaker 1: But at the time I was like, I'm not really making enough money to support us.
Speaker 2: Both, and she was, Wow, to make money in comedy, right, yes, oh a long time, like a long time. Same with being an artist, yeah, a long time. People think you're all doing great, but really you're like barely getting enough to get to the next gig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the if you tell people what you like. I would tell people what I'm getting paid in comedy back then, and they would like act like I was getting ripped off, like yeah, I was making all the wrong moves, and I'm like, this is what it is. Yeah, this this gig is paying me this much money. But I beg them to give me the gig. Yeah, because you just need stage time. That's the only way you're gonna get better. So you gotta keep getting the gigs. You know. You would drive you know, ten hours to do a Friday and Saturday at a club for two hundred and seventy dollars, right, and then you and it's like, that's so you're losing money. I was able to support myself because my car was paid off and I had an addic department in the West Side for two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: A month a score.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was tiny and not insulated well, so very cold in the winter, very hot in the summer.
Speaker 2: But a place, but a place for very cheap.
Speaker 1: For very cheap, so I had virtually no expenses. Okay, so that's how I was able to do it. And then she moved down and she was on a work visa for entertainment, so she can only do entertainment gig. Couldn't even get a regular job. So I was like, you got to keep doing it. And then the moment I was making enough money to support us both, I was like, you can quit now if you want to, and she quit and canceled gigs.
Speaker 2: She didn't like she was so done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't like a lot of people quit comedy because they have no gigs. They're just like, I got nothing going on. I'm just gonna stop doing this. She quit and had to call people and go, hey, I'm not gonna come do this gig.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, So what are y'all like at home? Like how is your conversation? Like are y'all how are y'all communicating? Because I feel like y'all would be a very fun couple to be around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do have a fun time. I mean we're both, you know, pretty fired up people. We get, you know, we can get so we can have some we can have some good fights.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's good to have a good fight. Do you have a fighting technique?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I feel like we did for a while. We kind of would fake fight with each other, okay to like almost comedically, but we were able to express the things that were bothering us.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 1: But I think we wore that out, okay, I And now I just think mainly it's just like we get stressed out right because we don't have a lot of help. So because I don't trust a lot of people, so it's really my fault that we don't have help. And none of our family lives around here, so it's like when I'm gone, it's my wife alone with the kids, so she's stressed. And then when I get home, I'm tired, but she's like, well I need some.
Speaker 2: Time on my own, so here are the kids.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we get stress and we love our kids. I want to be around my kids all the time, of course, But she left to go to the grocery store today and I'm yelling at the kids because they're in the garage destroying things.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm telling you I've lost all sins of calmness today because I have these three kids who I love, Like I said, yeah, but like you walk in one is dumping out a bag of rocks. The next one is cutting paper all over the another one's drawing on the couch, and then they're coming up to you asking for a million things. Somebody's mad at somebody else, somebody just pooped their pants, and it's literally like, oh my gosh, I'm my brain has exploded. I don't have enough time to process it all. It's all happening too fast.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I think that's why parents lose they're cool. And it's really it's not about the kids, it's whatever. Really, it's about me, like calming my nervous system enough to respond calmly. I know it's so hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what you know. We talked about spanking, and that's what you know. With that, it's like, you never can. This is what they say, and I believe this. You never can. You don't spank out of in that mode. When you're in like I'm frazzled mode, you have to It's like all right, you have to almost like talk to them and go, this is why we're doing this right now, this is there's a reason why this is happening. If you do it and just freak out mode, then nobody knows what's going on. It just seems like you're beating your kids. And yeah, nobody knows what's happening, and that's no good. But I go out in the garage. My kids are crying. I go, what's happened? I go out and there both trying to get into this stroller and they're both stuck in there, and I'm like, why are you doing this? You don't even want to be in this stroller when I ask you to get in.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's because one of them wants it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: It's really something. It's really great. It's amazing, but it's like it really pushes you. It really shows you how far you can go, which is great.
Speaker 1: I do think. I mean, I'm forty three. I didn't have a kid till I was almost forty, so I basically have this my my period, my decades. Right, my twenties I was an alcoholic Okay, I don't like to say alcoholic because I just drank a lot. You just drink a lot, right, And then thirties I was learning to become a comic and smoking a lot of weed. And then in my forties I'm like, this is dad, my dad.
Speaker 2: I love the chapters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's my dad decade.
Speaker 2: Have they all helped and build upon each other?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think having kids, and I never thought that. I never wanted to have kids. I always feel like, not that I don't like kids, I love them, but I felt like, you know, the world's exploding. I mean in my mind, you know, the world's been about to end for the last fifteen years. I mean, right, So I was like, I don't want to bring kids into the world. But the moment I did it, I was like, oh, what was I thinking? Like kids, it takes you to a next level of adulthood and it does, you know, and I think you have to do it.
Speaker 2: What have you learned about yourself?
Speaker 1: I mean, you mean as like a dad. Yeah, I don't know. I mean that's a hard question. I feel like I feel like a lot of things. But you know, I'm just I don't know. I've learned that, you know. I don't know. Maybe I don't have the patience that I once thought I had, you know, I don't know. I do think I'm pretty patient.
Speaker 2: I taught you.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it's taught me that I needed to do that.
Speaker 2: I feel that it took because what you're saying, it did take me somewhere that I've had to. Like, you know what it's done for me? Is it shown me all my edges, Like I have seen all of my edges and I'm like, ooh, I need to round that one off a little bit, or ooh that one's a little spicy, or you know. But then it also showed me how much I can love, like I didn't know how. Of course I love my husband, of course I love my family, but like, I didn't know I could love this much because I've never loved anything until, like it physically hurt me before until I had kids, and it like physically hurts you know.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's good. I feel like that's true. It's like now when I'm on a plane and somebody else's kids are crying, I'm not mad about I feel sorry for the kids. Yeah, I almost want.
Speaker 2: To help because you know they're distressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I almost want to go let me hold them for a minute. Yeah, let me see what I can do, yes, because I yeah, I feel bad. I feel like that. When you don't have kids, you just think, oh, what's going on with these kids? Make the kids be quiet? But when you're an adult, you know, like with kids, you're like, well that you can't make the kid be quiet? Yeah, and maybe you know my ears. I have real bad problems with my ears. I'm flying all the time. Almost every time, I have to do this thing where I pop my ears almost every flight, or it builds up so bad that it's really painful. I don't know what's going on with it, but that's what happens. So I always think, well, maybe that's what's going on with the kids. Yeah, and they don't know how to blow their blow their ears out?
Speaker 3: Yeah totally.
Speaker 1: And also, uh, you know, I I like kids better in general when I see kids out, I like them.
Speaker 2: Better now Yeah, yeah, I feel it.
Speaker 1: And I made a joke about this on on my uh my working man, uh special Uh but and this seems morbid. Well, I just would always like like if I were on a plane before and I felt like the plane was going down, I was like, well, I don't want to die, but you know, so be it right, who cares? Right? But now that I have kids, I'm like, no, I gotta live.
Speaker 2: I know you have to.
Speaker 1: I gotta I gotta be there for them. What's gonna happen if I die. Who you know, so I gotta live?
Speaker 2: You can't, Yeah, you have to. Yeah, it's kind of a little bit more. You're just kind of like, well case the ras raw when it's just you, yeah, but then when it's yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just felt like I'm at peace with it. If I die, that's a good place to be, though it is, but I you know, I'm Christian. I feel like, if I die, I go to Heaven. And I'm like, why would I want to be on Earth where things are bad? If I could go to a different place. But now that I have kids, I'm like, well, I got a responsibility. I can't just escape to paradise while they were in here. I brought these kids in, uh huh, and there I gotta you know, I gotta be here to you know, protect these kids because and I guess I've also learned that sort of stuff too that it's like, I gotta, you know, there's things you gotta do to protect kids. You can't you know, I don't know. I just feel like when I was growing up in the nineties, it was eighties and nineties and eighties or something, Yeah, you could, you know, you could just let the I would just I would leave.
Speaker 2: Parents would just send you outside all day.
Speaker 1: I would ride before I got four wheelers. When I was younger, we would ride bikes everywhere. Wait, we would ride bikes down to the to the river was the river, the Tallapoosa River.
Speaker 2: In Alabama, and no one knew.
Speaker 1: We would go down there and swim in the river as little kids.
Speaker 2: And where you were what you're doing swimming in the river with no adult supervision? Yeah, so many things could happen to little kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then when we were older, we had four wheelers, and then we would just do the same thing with the four wheelers. I grew up in the trailer park, and we would we had woods on either side. We would just disappear, and.
Speaker 2: They're gonna worry that you're gonna get hit by a car or you know, lost in the woods or around on the river.
Speaker 1: My mom worked third shift. She came home and went to sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just knew it was gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: She was happy that I was out of the house so she could sleep, I know. And then my mom would go to work. I mean, you know, when I was a little little kid, I had some somebody with me. But as I got, I mean I was alone at night, way too young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a different time I got.
Speaker 1: You know how collect calls used to get my sister. We lived in one trailer and then my sister and her husband lived in the trailer next store. Okay, not always, but for a little while. Yeah, because we had our own little We had our own little yard because you know, and you'd share the yard in a trailer trailer park, So we had our own little shared you. I think that's just nice, but I you know, collect calls used to be like you would get a call to the landline and it would say, uh, you know, you have an AT and T Collect call from, and then it would be the person's voice and they would say, oh Jerry, you know, and then you could accept or not. One night, I got a call my mom's at work. I'm alone. I wake up. I answered, and it says, you have a collect call from I know where you live. You're dead. Yeah, So I freak out and I run to my sister's house and I wouldn't and then I stayed at my sister's house for a long time. But they smoked cigarettes inside, so uh, I would just be I would go to school smell like smoke and be real smoky. So I was just like, you know what, I'll just risk his back at the back of the house.
Speaker 2: Did you ever find out who it was?
Speaker 1: No? I had no, but you know, we had phone books back then, which is also a wild Can you believe it that you just have your name and home address.
Speaker 2: And number in a book for everyone to have.
Speaker 1: So it just was so true. It was just my mom's name in there, and so there was a we called the cops, you know, and there was so because it was a voicemail, but the voicemail was just like clearly a reference to it, just because it like the whole time the voicemail's going, it's going to collect call, you know, so you don't pick it all up, and then you just get to the message and you hear that same voice go you're titties, you know. So it's like it's clearly just some creepy trying to you know, who knows. Maybe it was one of my mom's ex boyfriends, I don't know, but it was like, I don't know, freaked.
Speaker 2: Us out and just like though it was just a different time of life, like all that all that went down. I talked to my daughter about the eighties all the time, and she's always telling me she's like, that's that was different though, because it was the eighties. I'm like, it was. It was a totally different time in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think about it all the time and I think how much better it was. But I you know, I've kept journals at various times in my life. Not always, but I had like a journal from the late nineties early two thousands where I would periodically write, and I'm like, I was reading some of that stuff the other day and I was like, I was not happy back then. I remember it like, oh, it's just a dollge ast. Yeah, but I I read that and I go, no, it's better.
Speaker 2: Now you're angsting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think social media as bad as I don't like it. As much as I don't like it, I think there's so many good things that, like, I don't know, it keeps you from being lonely, yeah, which I think is good and bad, right, because I think loneliness helps you be creative.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: So when you're never lonely, you're like, oh, you know, if I'm like when I used to if I had to go to the DMV or something and wait, I would I would take a book and I would just read a book. And now I go to the DMV, I go, I just got my phone.
Speaker 2: I'll you for hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll just veg out in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I used to, you know, I read when I worked, when I sawicides, I would like, my boss lived four hours away in Atlanta, so I was off on my own, so I would go in. I would do my work in the store. But the you know, the rule was you never wanted them to know how fast you could get the job.
Speaker 2: You want to do it the slowest possible, right, So you would.
Speaker 1: Do the work. And then I would go sit in the car and smoke cigarettes and read books. And I read. I read The Shining, which is a book like this. Yeah, because and I don't read a lot of books, but I just had all this free time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the moment I got a smartphone at that job, book's gone. The book's gone.
Speaker 2: Book's gone. Okay. So when you are on stage and people probably ask you this all the time, but this would be my absolute biggest fear, Like I've said this so many times, being a comedian would be like my worst nightmare, like for me personally, because the thought of all the pressure of having to make people laugh, because like, have you ever stood up there and it just is bombing? Because I know you succeed because you're hilarious, like people are dying laughing at you. But have you ever had a moment that's it's like, oh my god, a board ship?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean many, many times.
Speaker 2: How do you survive it?
Speaker 1: Well, it's like, now you know, it's like coming up in comedy, you're you're like, you know, you're figuring out your jokes, so you a bomb sometimes. And then when you're an opening act, it's like a lot of times either it's either you're performing for an audience that has no idea what comics are going to be there, or they're just there for the headliner, so you know, you just may not be the comic for them. But now you know, it's my audience that comes to shows, So I don't really have it at my shows thankfully, I mean, because they're there for me. I have some shows that go better than others, but no bombs. But now what happens is I'll do like a corporate gig where a company hires me, and the boss that's hired me is a huge fan. And but you know, I'm performing for an audience of people that is either you know, there's either they don't care about comedy or they've been listening to speakers all day, and so even though I'm there telling jokes, I'm still just another guy talking yep. But they're just not into it, okay. So in that situation, you know, you just have to rely on the fact that you're like, all right, I know I'm funny, I know these jokes work, and this is just this kind of show. And as long as you don't have too many of those in a row, you're okay. You walk away from that. I've done some corporate gigs where they've paid me a lot of money and I I almost want to apologize to them at the end of the night, but it's not my.
Speaker 2: Fault because it's who you are.
Speaker 1: And they're like, yeah, I came ready, Yeah I did the joke because so many jokes because I have albums and specials. So I'm like, all right, if this joke's not working, I'll pivot to this joke.
Speaker 2: Do you just have a memorize in your head.
Speaker 1: Most of them, yeah, okay, and then I'll go I'll go, all right, I'll do this joke. This joke always works. And if I do a joke that always works and it doesn't work and it doesn't work, then I almost go all right, I'm just gonna do brand.
Speaker 2: New jokes a good place to try.
Speaker 1: Because brand new jokes you don't know what kind of reaction they're supposed to get, So any reaction is good, okay. But an old joke where I go, I know they laugh here, here, and here, and then they don't laugh in those spots, then I feel bad about the joke. I go, is that even a good joke? But if I do new jokes and I get one laugh, I go, okay, maybe there's something here.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So that's how I handle it. But yeah, I don't have a lot of Sometimes I do the opera and we were talking about, you know, just being older people. Sometimes the first joke or two doesn't really land with it, okay, But I've done it enough times where like, all the people in the backup band are like my friends now, they're all cool. All the people off to the side, they're all cool. So even if it's not working. I know they're into it. I think they're into it if it's not working because I improv a little bit. Mm hmmm, uh so you know you got that sort of stuff. But yeah, I mean I've done some corporates where I'm like, jeez, what is this is brutal? What's the deal out here?
Speaker 2: Do you think that like you and Nate garget Ski Barghetti BARGATSI his like because all y'all's crew like, y'all you said, y'all are more clean humor, y'all kind of stick together, y'all are doing his podcast like, y'all are very funny, but it's not like it doesn't it's not this like vulgar extreme humor in like in the past, if like comedians kind of were most of the time. Do you think that people are craving this because I know I am. I like, am actually sitting there laughing at your special and I'm like laughing at Nate stuff because I'm like, I relate to this and I don't feel like awkward laughing at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this has happened. I think like maybe early on, like people weren't allowed to say certain things so Special TV. So these edgy comics were like suddenly like a new thing where you were like, oh.
Speaker 2: I can't wait they're saying that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then it's like, over time, in order to be edgier, it has to just get worse and worse and worse into where you reach a place where it's like it's so over the top that there's still an audience for that. I like a lot of there's a lot of comics that I like that are super edgy and dirty. As long as they're you know, creative and funny, I think it's really great. But you know, there's an audience of people that they don't want that. Yeah, And I think people are not necessarily searching for super clean although there is an audience for that. There's a lot of Nateland people now that listen, not all of them. There's some of the people that listen to atlant are like the greatest people, but some of them are like, if it's not ultra clean, they're like, what's happening, Okay, right? I don't I always say I don't do comedy for kids. I don't want kids to watch my comedy because I want to talk about weed and drinking and stuff like that. But yeah, like keep it within reason. It's because with comedy, if you don't know what you're going to see, you could see you could see someone very nice. You could go see innate and go, oh, this was really fun and funny, or you could hear the worst thing you've ever heard in your life.
Speaker 2: It's so the spectrum is so big.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I took my brother in law, who's not a prude, but he's a Christian guy. I took him to an open mic with me when I first moved to Nashville, and it blew his mind. I think he left there emotionally scarred. Yeah, because he had never heard some of those things. Yeah, the way people talk. I mean, I'm pretty desensitized to it now because I've been around so much comedy. I think I have a theory that that's why more women don't do comedy, because you know, you have this open mic scene that you have to really go through to get somewhere. Yeah, And it's like, I think a lot of women are like, I don't need this in my life. Huh, I'm gonna do a different thing. Yeah, I'm not gonna listen to these guys, you know, talk about what they're doing in their private bedroom.
Speaker 2: I know, you know, yeah, I'm with you, though. I think it was so shock value in the first because people didn't talk about stuff, and now they talk about everything, and so now it's like, oh my gosh, what a breath of fresh air to have some good just some good humor that we can really laugh at.
Speaker 1: But it's not like, yeah, and there's a ton of clean comedy out there's a ton of clean comedy, but there's only a little of the clean comedy that's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how you says in that group, who do you run around with?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we have a lot. I mean Aaron and Brian, Aaron Weber, Brian Bates, who both through the podcast very funny, very funny, very clean. I mean we have. Now there are a handful of comics in Nashville that can do both. Like there's a guy Zach Townsend and a guy Connor Larson. I'd take them on the road with me some and they are clean for me. Okay, So if you saw them at my show, you'd be like, oh, these are really funny, clean comics. And then if you saw them on a not clean show, you would be like, what happened is that?
Speaker 2: A thing clean and not clean.
Speaker 1: I think so because you're coming up in comedy. As long as you can be clean, then you can open for anybody. Okay, because a lot of comics, even dirty comics, want clean openers because they're like, the dirty is my thing. I don't want you to use up all the dirty jokes.
Speaker 2: Oh there's strategy here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, with a clean comic, you like, there's a couple of reasons you want clean openers if you're clean one. I always say this. I always tell comics like, if you're dirty and you bomb, great, that's gonna be great for me. But if you're dirty and you crush, it's gonna be kind of hard to follow you with the jokes about the home depot. I can do it, but it's gonna be harder, and it's my show. I don't want to work that hard.
Speaker 2: I get it. Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: But also, once you start to get an art not.
Speaker 2: Even I could not even know this as thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yes, but then once you have your own audience, well, your audience is coming because they like your kind of comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then you bring someone else who fits into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you don't want to bring somebody that's gonna.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah Mojo, Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, so it really is like Genres.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There was a comic named Rich Voss and he said this, He said, you know, cause he's he was, he's a he's out of New York, very offensive comic I worked for. I opened for him one time a Zany's and he really blew my mind in a good way. I thought he was very funny, and he he offended these people and they left, you know, and he goes. People never research the comic they're going to see. They never they never look up to see what they're going to see. You would never go to see music and sit in the front row and go, I hope it's jazz. Right, So yeah, you know. So it's like if you're gonna go see someone that you don't know, watch a video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, total, Because I have people that do that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the audience might not be laughing. In the beginning, I go, have you guys ever watched a video of me? Because if you watched any video of me, there's nothing that would lead you to believe I'm gonna do anything different than what I'm doing right now. Okay, it doesn't happen to me much anymore. But I I, you know, I've not been at this level for a long time. I've been you know, slowly going up. So, you know, for a long time, I was headlining clubs, yeah, where some people were coming to see me, other people were just coming, and then other people would be free tickets that the club would gave out. You know, So I used to you know, I you know, I could bomb for ten minutes and then finally have a joke that works and I go, yeah, these are funny jokes. People, I go get into it. I don't travel the country doing mediocre jokes out here. I almost like hit them with that to like be like lighting up guys. Yeah, we're just we're just telling jokes here.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we've already been talking an hour. I know you have a show tonight. I want to just ask you a question, two questions. What would you tell someone who wants to get into comedy, Like how do you do it? Like how do you survive the grind to get to where you are?
Speaker 1: Well? I would say, you know, you just you need stage time, You need to be jokes. Don't you know, have an idea of what you're gonna say when you get on stage. Don't go I'm funny for my friends. I'm just gonna wing.
Speaker 2: It an outline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have an idea of what you want to say, even if you're like, I'm just gonna tell this story. Say the story out loud to yourself, just to know how you want it to go. Sometimes you think something's funny and you say it out loud and you go, now, that's not funny. So you you work it out and then get plenty of stage time and then don't expect anything to happen for you for a long time, like a long time. It may, but don't expect it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People get into comedy and they just think, all right, I'm about to make it happen. I mean, there's a guy out there. I just saw a video the other day and he's like talking about follow me on my journey from you know, open mics to stadiums, and he's like just gotten into comedy. And I'm like, you know, he's very good at editing videos. And I applaud him for his.
Speaker 2: You know confidence.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's like, dude, it it takes a long time. Yeah, And I think taking a long time is the way now nowadays, Yeah, nowadays, people can go viral and they can draw an audience. Pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Can they continue to deliver?
Speaker 1: Right, It's like taking a long time helps you become good and then we finally get the audience.
Speaker 2: You're so broken in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a comic. I know. She's very funny. She and she worked, she did a different way. This is I'm talking about Chelsea Lynn Trailer Park Tammy. Oh. Yeah, we're friends, and I talked to her about this because she, you know, for a long time worked social media and only social media. Now she's better at that than me, so that's a skill all its own, right. But when she decided to go into comedy, stand up comedy, she was immediately selling out theaters right now. She worked, So I'm not taking anything away from her, but I think, to me, that's the most terrifying thing, right to already have this audience of people that's now coming to see you, and you've not really done a lot of standings.
Speaker 2: And now you have to go perform, so you have to get through the stage right on there.
Speaker 1: But she's very funny and she's doing it well.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I just think that's a terrifying way the way I did it. You know, I'm opening for people. I mean, I'm doing open mics with you know, I used to do Bobby's Idol Hour.
Speaker 2: You know that place. Oh yes, there used to.
Speaker 1: Be a Monday open mic at Bobby's Idle Hour and it would be like just comics and then like a handful of guys sitting at the bar drinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my gauge was always, if I can get one of those guys to turn around and listen to me, then this is a good joke.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: There was one old man that used to sit on the corner, pretty overweight, and if I could make that guy laugh, I was like, oh, that's a good job, right. But it's like no one was seeing me bomb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It's a totally different error because like it's the same thing. This is so the same as music. Kids are breaking on TikTok. They're waking up every day singing songs into the camera. They get a huge audience, and then all of a sudden they're selling out theaters and it's like, oh my god, they have to learn how to perform. Yeah, it's just reverse. It's a totally reversed way. Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even Chelsea Lynn her thing like she worked because I did a I did a you know, a couple of podcasts with her, and it's like she had a long journey with social media, right, so she's been working it for a really long time. Some people hit almost right away in social media and then develop this audience and they've not worked anything. Yeah, and then they go to the and people tell me about them. They go to these clubs and people people go they sold a ton of tickets, but terrible show one way or another.
Speaker 2: You gotta be able to like do it on the stage. You're so right, Okay. I always wrap up with leave your light and it's just super open ended. What do you want people to know? Just drop some inspiration? Well, I don't know, well big wisdom here.
Speaker 1: Well you know, I'm you know, this is sort of my thing. I love to talk about these sort of things, like how you know, like life is good, you know what I mean, It's like you just got to work hard. I know, there's this thing out there these days where people are saying, oh, the boomers are saying, you gotta, you know, pull up your bootstraps and just get to work. And it's like, I know, things are not exactly the same as they used to be, but it is still a thing you gotta work for whatever you want to do. It's like I was sitting out and I was in Georgia somewhere, just kind of in the woods, not it was public woods, and this guy comes up with a camera and they go, if you could give a millennial or whatever. H he is some advice and I go, what are you trying to do? And he's like, oh, I want to do this kind of video content. Well I'm like, well, just learn to be really good at this because people are always looking for video people. People are always looking for content creators, So be really good at that. So whatever it is that you want to do, just be really good at it. You know, everybody wants to use AI now is very against AI for a long time. I'm not completely against it now. As long as you're not using AI to come up with your ideas.
Speaker 2: For you, it's enhance them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have your own ideas, you know, But anything you want to do, just work hard at it. They like, I can't play guitar, but people always say that. You know, people go, oh, when you're in your you know, you know, I say, you're fifteen you want to play guitar, You're like, oh, I wish I could play guitar, and then it takes ten years to get really good at guitar. And then you go, oh, that's too long. And then by the time you're twenty five you're you're still like, I wish I could play guitar. Yeah, and if you would have started at fifteen, you would be able to do it by day.
Speaker 2: So just start and get good at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then you get twenty five, you go, oh, that's too late. But if you start at twenty five, by thirty five, you'll be able to play uh huh. And don't let people tell you can't do things. Just just do the thing, but don't There also is this other thing where people are so like they're so they so get into this thing of like I'm gonna do it, and you know, I know I can do it, and like a like a like it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Like a manifesting it into existence, so strongly.
Speaker 1: Like this is gonna happen. And for me, you know, I said, you know, I'm a Christian. I think a lot of Christians will do this sort of thing. And I know other people are doing it too, but they'll say, you know, God wants this for me, so he'll make it happen. And then they kind of like stop putting in the work because they just are like, well, God's gonna do it, but it's like maybe he will, but you need to do the work. Yeah, does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's just absolutely.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's just this thing where nobody wants to do the work and.
Speaker 2: I don't want to just show up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to do manual labor. But I know comics that are like they've been given all these opportunities and it's like all you got to do now is really like work hard at stand up. Yeah, but they just keep getting the opportunities and they're not working hard at stand up. It's like, nobody wants to go and feature for two hundred and seventy dollars a weekend, but that's how you get good.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants to stand in front of the audience of Bobby's Idol hour of people that don't laugh at their jokes, but that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 1: I used to do to try to open for my friend's bands and that's always terrible. But it's like, if you can, you need the stage time. I would do poetry open mics. I had a guy tell me that the poetry open mike. He goes, I'll let you do it. But this, I just want to tell you, this audience does not like when people do comedy here. But I just kind of felt the vibe of the room and I go, all right, I'm just gonna try to be poetic in a way with my jokes. Yeah, I'm gonna be soft spoken and I'm gonna tell the jokes. And these people started to really like me, and it's like, you.
Speaker 2: Just gotta you got it. You just gotta show up and do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do the thing that you want to do.
Speaker 2: I love that. You know, Dusty Slate, You're amazing. Okay, So you have a two Netflix specials out now.
Speaker 1: I have one out now called working.
Speaker 2: Man, okay, and then nothing one's coming out and.
Speaker 1: In July twenty nineth that have one coming out called Wet Heat.
Speaker 2: Okay. Are you on tour also.
Speaker 1: I'm always on tour. I'm taking a little time off June and July, but the end of July I'm getting back out it. And in the second half of the year. I'm all over the.
Speaker 2: Place, and you're on Nateland podcast.
Speaker 1: On Nateland podcast every Wednesday, and I have a podcast called the We're Having a Good Time podcast comes out every Thursday. Okay, so, and I'm on you know this Areas podcast. I'm with socials at Dusty Sleigh, and I'm very active on social media and don't be fooled by uh there's a lot of fake accounts.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, Dusty Sleigh all day.
Speaker 1: Only one blue check mark by all the things, and I do respond okay, but sometimes people are fooled. The fake accounts go hello, dear fan, and then people are fooled. I'm like, what talk like? Are you even a fan of? Maybe you think I'm saying hello first, right and then deep here? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, come on, guys, Dusty Sligh, Okay, can I do you have like ten more minutes?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, We're gonna do a bonus episode and we're gonna draw some questions called tell me more, Dusty Slay, thank you so much for joining me. You're so funny. This was so awesome to get to talk to you. I'm very inspired by you. Being a comedian is no joke, and you're.
Speaker 3: Really good at it.
Speaker 2: That was I didn't even know funny. I'm not funny. I don't see that.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: No, that is good though, that's not. That's as basic as it gets.
Speaker 1: Really, I think, you know, I think the basic thing. I think people say that now, and I think BASIC's good people, basics, good people to the simple. You know. Yeah, okays, like being normal is so bad now being normals.
Speaker 2: Actually, we're all trying to get back to it, right.
Speaker 1: You have a farm, Yeah, I go out in mcmanville. I have a little cabin and I have some land and live in the good life. Yeah. I read the four wheeler around. Yeah, yes, yeah, I got a garden I saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: If I can keep my son from ripping all the green vegetables off.
Speaker 2: You might get a salad.
Speaker 1: I might get a salad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: I did have a salad the other day. Lettuce, kale, cucumbers and uh.
Speaker 2: Tomato, carrot, carrot, all from the garden. That felt good.
Speaker 1: I bet it did feel good.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, Yes, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Dusty's say thank you so much. Okay, bye pop Terance The Countile Fop Terence, the countil
Speaker 1: Fo