Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour in this Monday, great calls, great topics, great guest Steve Young, He's always awesome.
Speaker 2: Ryan Clark, the Mothership, former defensive act with the Steelers, won a Super Bowl, but he said his son playing in tonight's National title game might be the biggest achievement of his life's biggest sporting achievement. But his son, Jordan, is a safety for Notre Dame. Notre Dame is an eight and a half point depending on where you are, eight and a half point underdog for tonight's game eight seven, seven to three. DP Show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. What's interesting sometimes, and this happened to the Lions last year. If I would have said to Lions fans, hey, you're going to go to the NFC Title Game, but you're going to lose after being up double digits, you would have signed up for it at the beginning of the year. So let's say I say it said to a commander's fan like James in Virginia. Hey, rookie quarterback, you know Dan Quinn coming in Cliff Kingsbury. You know, got some draft picks, you got money, salary cap money might not happen this next year. But if I said, what if you went to the NFC title game and you didn't win, but you got to the title game, See, you'd sign up for that. But see now it gets from the go this year is unbelievable to now, if we don't, this is going to hurt like Lions fans last year. Great story and then all of a sudden it's over. And it doesn't mean the Commanders can't win this game, because I think they can win this game. I don't know if Jalen Hurts is going to be healthy, who knows. But that's why they played the game. And that's why nobody gave Washington a chance against Detroit. But you have this wonderment of gosh, it'd be great to make the playoffs, Hey, to have a winning record. Okay, we got those. Hey that Jade Daniels is Rookie of the Year, all right, you got that. Hey, you're gonna win a playoff game? All that would be unbelievable. Hey, you're going to win another playoff game. Wait, you win the NFC title game, Yes, and then you lose. Now, not that I'm wishing for that, because Washington is a great store, but I'm just I'm just giving you the dynamic of what it's like to be a fan when you don't have real hope and then all of a sudden you start to accumulate hope, and then all of a sudden, hope becomes expectation. And this is a franchise that hasn't been in an NFC title game, probably in twenty years, two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: I got it at thirty five years, thirty four years, nineteen ninety one for the Redskins.
Speaker 2: Dang, dang, that's a long time. That's building up a lot of hope, and then there's expectations, and that's what's you know, Eagle fans expect to win a Super Bowl. Buffalo they probably hoping to win a super Bowl, but they're here in the AFC Title game. Kansas City expects to win a super Bowl. Their fan base, Washington, You're moving past hope and now it's expectations. Now it's like, God, we gotta win. We can win. Why can't we win. I'm just bracing you because we saw this and heard this from Detroit fans last year. You got to that moment you were going to go to the super Bowl. And I never thought I would say those words in my lifetime as a broadcaster. The Detroit Lions are going to the super Bowl. This was the year. But the window of opportunity now, I know they got everybody signed up. They're going to lose their coordinators, but this team should be a formidable team next year. But that's how quickly it happens. Like San Francisco. What is San Francisco's window now? Not very good. Washington has I think eight draft picks coming up, and I think they have about ninety million dollars in salary cap room. So if you're the commanders, you might attract some people, especially if you're a wide receiver. You may want to play with Jaydan Daniels. That's what happens, you know, where you want to be part of something that's building, and Washington has built something and a lot quicker than I thought. You know, I thought the scaffolding would be up for a little while longer, but they're taking that down. And I give credit, you know, a lot of credit to go around, but it starts with Jayden Daniels. Because you know, I can have a great coach, I can have great coordinators, I gotta have a great quarterback. He's the one who gives you a hope. He's the one that gives you expectations. Setan what's the poll question for the final hour? Well, we could populate a who had the worst weekend? Okay, we've been kind of.
Speaker 4: Kicking around a bunch of I think we take Mark Andrews off. Yeah, yeah, that's yes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's not great.
Speaker 4: No, Lamar Jackson didn't have a great weekend, not in that he played poorly necessarily, but I feel like he needs that that win.
Speaker 2: He does. And when you factor this stat here, here's one for you. Stat of the day, brought to you by Panini America. Lamar Jackson has thrown an interception and lost to fumble four times in one one hundred and three career regular season games. He has thrown an interception and lost to fumble four times in eight career playoff games.
Speaker 5: Stat of the day, start of the day, stat of the day, start of the day, STATU to day start to day, start of to.
Speaker 6: Day, start.
Speaker 2: This is the first time the four remaining teams have combined for zero turnovers heading into the conference championship games. And we can talk about philosophy running the football. Derrick Henry is the numbers bear it out, and he's great in the second half. And when they started, Buffalo did a really good job. They didn't let him get more than two three yards of carry. I just don't and I said this, I don't want them to get away from what they do well. And they should have been able to run the football. I thought more often. I thought Derrick Henry should have gotten more than sixteen carries. Lamar Jackson had six carries. I thought they were going to get a dose of pick your poison. Here's your two headed monster. Try to stop us. That's what I thought. But give credit Buffalo's defense, Ben, but don't break Lucas and Texas. Hi, Luke, what do you have for me today, Bud?
Speaker 7: Hey to a good morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 8: Look, I'm a grieving Texans fan, so I might be a little all over the place, but a couple things stick out in what happened on Saturday. First off, Sacred Saturday for Texans playoff games. That's that's our day. Yes, it's frustrating because for the first three quarters of the game, I think pretty much anyone passing the eye test, the Texans outplayed the Chiefs, and so in a game that was close, it feels like, even if the referees commit, you know, added ten percent or something, that ten percent felt decisive. And what I think is especially frustrating for Texans fans is this kind of carries over from the illegal hit that Al Shaier had a few weeks ago against Trevor Lawrence. Do you remember even then there was frustrated about how the quarterback kind of slid late. It feels like these quarterbacks are taking advantage of the rules, and with Pat Mahomes, it feels like they're making a mockery of it. The flopping, the waiting to you know, step out of bound. It feels like they're taking the rules and running with it, almost like you know, like when a when a little you know, brother or big brother you know, knows that you're already in trouble, and so they act even a little bit more outlandish because they know that you know, they can you know, they can't be touched, and you're already in trouble. That's what really contributes to this frustration. It's super frustrating. The Texans own some stuff with the special teams and whatnot, but man that there has to be continuing conversation about how there's abuse of the rules around the quarterback.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Lucas, and I know a lot of people agree with you. I don't have any bias towards any team, couldn't, could not care less. I just want to see a great mat show. I can tell you, in my opinion, the NFL is not going out of its way to help Patrick Mahomes in the Chiefs, just not. Why would they quarterbacks? Yes, do they need to regulate this better. Absolutely, But the reason why Patrick Mahomes stands out is because he's always on TV in these games. He's not playing at one o'clock. He's playing in Marque games. So you see him more than any other quarterback, and he's winning more than any other quarterback, and he's probably getting calls, in your opinion, more than any other quarterback. But you're not watching all the other games. You're not watching every Baker Mayfield game, you're not watching even Josh Allen all of his game. You're watching Mahomes because they're always on and they're always that marquee game. But do I think he gets preferential treatment? I don't. I think quarterback. And that's the problem with this rule. And if you're going to flaunt it at some point, if I'm a defensive coordinator, I say we'll eat the penalty, I'll eat the fine. Go hit him, go hit him. I would absolutely do that, Yes, Todd, When.
Speaker 9: We say this preferential treatment of quarterbacks, is there a whether it's said or not, any kind of directive. Here's a list of the so called the leak players and if you're going to air we should err on the side of caution with.
Speaker 2: How do you think that would go over if an internal memo, it's.
Speaker 10: Not something you could put in writing where it could be traced.
Speaker 9: Well, what if there's a winking or nod somewhere like the following quarterbacks?
Speaker 6: If you're on the fence for.
Speaker 2: The no no no, no, no no no. We do this with the NBA. I mean, I've had conversations where David Stern is livid, you know, MFin and he he, I was in his office and he you know, these complaints came in that Jordan was getting calls and he just could. He was apoplectic. He goes, you know, this league can't be built on something like that. I get that everybody wanted to see Michael Jordan and wanted to see him win, even if he was playing against your team. You're like, damn, they're exciting, we want to see them. That's not the case with the Kansas City Chiefs. That wasn't the case with the Patriots. People at some point go, oh, not them again. No one ever did that with the Bulls. Truly, one of the most remarkable teams as far as their popularity that I've ever been around. No one got tired of them. They were fascinating. You were watching something special, Kan City. You're watching something special. You might be watching the second greatest coach of all time, maybe turn out to be the greatest quarterback of all time, and maybe the best tight end of all time. You're seeing all that right now. But I don't think people go, h can't wait to see the Chiefs. So I don't think that there's some kind of initiative that they're going, hey, whatever, these calls happen in a split second. It's not like you can go wow, it looks like he's gonna slide. I better get ready to call roughing the You can't it's so quick. Should they review these? Okay? But then once again, they don't want to be bogged down by review. I don't think there's any initiative, you know, the agenda of hey, who do we got here? Are they going to protect Jayden Daniels? Why not? You're gonna protect Jalen Hurts and if Josh Allen. I just don't think they think that way. I think they look at the position. I don't think they look at the player necessarily. Yes, it does seem though, like the calls do favor some players and not others. Patrick Mahomes. I don't know what the percentage of roughing the.
Speaker 4: Passer calls are, say right, but there was a play yesterday when Lamar Jackson was I don't know, ten feet out of bounds.
Speaker 2: And oh yeah, absolutely should have been called.
Speaker 4: And we're like, well, you know, he started the tackle, and by starting the tackle it means he was holding onto his shirt and then tackle him later. I mean, that's Patrick Mahomes. That player would have been thrown out of the game if he did that to Patrick Mahomes. He might have been executed. Yeah, possibly right there like a horse at the race track.
Speaker 2: But if PAULI, if we can find out the number of times that Patrick Mahomes, you know, roughing the passer. Do you have those numbers?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I looked it up about a half hour ago. There's a couple of different metrics. But this year Patrick Mahomes defensives were called six times for roughing the passer against him. That's the most in the league. Second is Josh Allen, third is Jared Goff, fourth is Baker Mayfield. But number one in the league Patrick Mahomes. If you look back at it, though, it's almost like the league doesn't have to have an agenda to tell people to protect the quarterbacks just every third year. I look back over the past fifteen years, there's been five new rules to protect the quarterbacks. Going to the legs, going to the head, right when the quarterback is out of the pocket on an interception. They protect him from getting hit. The slide rule, you can't hit him on the slide. That was three years ago. So in the past twelve years, five different new rules to protect the quarterback.
Speaker 2: What if you just said to the quarterbacks when you leave the pocket, you're running back, you protect yourself. They would certainly find a better way to protect themselves. But do they take advantage of this? Do they slide late? Do they get out of bounds late? Do they try to get an extra?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: They do? They faunted. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, I think that's part of the problem actually, is that the officials do treat some quarterbacks like their runners when they leave the pocket, and other quarterbacks they don't. They treat them like quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember when I saw Cam Newton play in Denver years ago. Denver just beat the hell out of him. I mean he was not a quarterback when he was running the ball. I mean, they did not protect him. I do think that there's certain quarterbacks that probably get the maybe the benefit of the doubts sometimes, But I don't think there's a league wide agenda that goes, who do we have today? You got Tom Brady and youve got Tom Brady against Cade McNown all right, make sure we take care of Tommy. Okay, all right, ready break, Yes, tod.
Speaker 9: But even if it's not a directive, don't you think I would think there's pressure on the refs to get it right, especially when it comes to an elite quarterback. If there's some kind of egregious call and they don't throw the flag and it involves someone like Patrick Mahomes, Like.
Speaker 10: Are they going to get a talking to that I can be able to do a playoff the game?
Speaker 2: What is their benefit? As Steve Young said, as an official, you're graded if you miss the call once again. You're trying to get a high enough grade to do playoff games to make more money and maybe you get to do a Super Bowl. Why would you allow yourself to maybe be downgraded because you were trying to protect Patrick Mahomes. It doesn't make any sense. Do I think they go out of their way to overly protect the quarterbacks? They do, absolutely, But I don't think there's an agenda. Yeah. See, I would.
Speaker 4: Think that those refs that you're talking about are more likely to get a good grade if they protect Patrick Mahomes. I think that's exactly they're being graded on this. So yeah, let me make sure.
Speaker 2: That if they did it, if they called it right, the call that the non call with Lamar Jackson, I would think that would downgrade somebody. The two players crashing into each other and not crashing into Mahomes. I would think you miss that call. Will Anderson Junior the third the helmet to helmet or face mask to face mask? Would I've called it? No, But I grew up in a different time. When you know you were allowed to play football. It's called tackle football. All right, Let me take a break. More phone calls coming up. When we come back, we will play fill in the blank after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 5: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: You could catch us.
Speaker 5: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 5: We talked about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 5: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Look at the stats with the Chiefs and Texans. Chiefs total yards two hundred and twelve no turnovers, also eight sacks, Texans three hundred and thirty six total yards no turnovers. Commanders had four hundred and eighty one yards of total offense turnovers, Line's five twenty one five turnovers. Eagles had three point fifty no turnovers, Rams four h two two turnovers. Bill's two seventy three no turnovers, Ravens four to sixteen three turnovers. All right, we'll get to some phone calls. Pull up date Seaton, we'll play fill in the blank as well. Let me get to Ryan in California. First, Hi Ryan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 11: Dan, thanks for taking my call. So I've got a best of the weekend slash stat of the day. So with the Commander's winning, they are no longer the team with the longest rout in the NFC to appear in a conference championship game. That team is now none other than Jerry Jones's Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Oh what a glorious day that is. I wonder if if this ego is so big, he probably doesn't even know that they are the team with the longest drought.
Speaker 2: Now, well, thank you, Ryan, Ryan is very very entertained by Ryan.
Speaker 3: Kind of great.
Speaker 2: How do you think Jerry Jones felt watching the NFC title game or the playoff games? Oh, there's another cutaway of Dan Quinn on the sidelines. Oh, that's right, he was with us. There's Kellen Moore dialing something up for that offense with Philadelah, that's why he was with us. Here Saquon Barclay. Oh it's now with the Eagles, even Derrick Henry watching him. You're going you know what, I was happy with the running backs that we got.
Speaker 4: Just wouldn't have been a good feite of course, Yes, Paul, I went back.
Speaker 3: And looked at the reviews when the Commanders hired Dan Quinn last year. Uninspired was the big word. Retread was the other word. Not a lot of kudos there. No, uh isn't wrong necessarily.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I might have been one of those people like, okay, all right, you got to get somebody to coach this thing feels like more Cliff Kingsbury gets a little more of that crass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what he does. He had a great year, Yes he did. Yes, he did. Brought back to life, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 13: Just don't go to twenty eight three because Cliff, you're gonna get all the blaming you guys.
Speaker 2: Not dann Quinn, Craig and Fort Wayne and then we'll play Phil in the blank Pilay, good morning, Hey Craig.
Speaker 7: Hey, it's minus twenty two and Fort Wayne. So I'm very happy to be off school and fuck you guys today. Normally I don't get to listen to you, so better resume Mike Tomlin in the playoffs, John Harball in the playoffs. And why does Mike Tomlin always come under scrutiny. I'm a Browns fan.
Speaker 2: I would kick either, yeah, but why.
Speaker 7: Did they both get a free pass?
Speaker 2: I have said that, said that a couple of times during season, back probably last month, that we focus on Mike Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in a long time, and I said, well, John Harball hasn't either, But Harball did win a playoff game this year, and Mike Tomlin bowed out again. I think there's so much focus on Mike Tomlin. All he does is win. We don't talk about John Harball. I don't know how many winning seasons John Harball's had, but it's a constant that you hear, Hey, Mike Tomlin guaranteed winning record every year, Okay, And then I say the following, what's he doing the playoffs? I don't want to just have a winning record. And it's nice to make the playoffs. It's really nice to win a playoff game or two and then they are not threatening, Yeah, PAULI.
Speaker 3: John Harbaugh's made the playoffs with the Ravens twelve out of seventeen seasons, right.
Speaker 2: So he doesn't give you that winning record every year like Mike Tomlin does. To have a Super Bowl. I'm gonna guess both are Hall of Fame coaches. Does that sound right? Tomlin, I think is going to get in. It's Harball getting in, Mike McCarthy getting in, Sean Payton getting in. Yeah, they all kind of have that same resume, don't think.
Speaker 13: Yes, Mark, I feel like the longevity with one franchise really helps you. With John Harball's case and Tomlin Anton, well, I think Tomlin's a no brainer because he won early.
Speaker 6: Okay, But in John Harball's case.
Speaker 2: Yes for sure. Okay, all right, time to play fill in the blank. So I will give you a sentence, but you have to fill in the blank word and let's try to go one word. If we can't, tod, I'll start with you. Man Blank had that game, Little Mean, But Man Andrews had that game. Okay, Mark Andrews had that game, Seaton, Man Blank had that game. The Rams. The Rams that game.
Speaker 4: I was positive they were driving down the field winning the game by a point.
Speaker 2: Positive. Yeah, it was too. I was shocked at the ending of you could see where those defensive players, those defensive backs on the Eagles were like, oh boy, Stafford's gonna you know, yeah, he makes you nervous. As far as pinpoint passing, as sure a thing as I could possibly think of, that was gonna happen. Marvin Man Blank had that game.
Speaker 6: Man, the Lions had that game and then the game started.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, PAULI.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with the Ravens.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 3: Did the Ravens have that game? When that third quarter did that long drive with a lot of Derrick Henry, I'm like, ah, they're settling down, they got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would go with man. The Rams had that game. I even I called my wife in you know, she's not even watching, and they said, hey, come on in, watch this and she goes, oh, it's snowing. I said, yeah, I know, don't ask questions, just watch the Rams gonna win this. And then all of a sudden they didn't win it, and she goes, is there anything else to see? I go, no, never mind, hunt see you. Chiefs looked blank. This weekend, Todd officially beatable. Okay, Satan, The Chiefs looked okay this weekend, Marvin.
Speaker 6: The Chiefs looked official this weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay? Oh, both said official.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs looked good enough this weekend.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs looked okay this weekend? Okay. Lamar Jackson was blank on Sunday Todd play off, Lamar Satan great, Marvin Malone ish, Carl Malone correct, wow, not Mark Malone, Carl Malone, Carl Maline on the loan shooting too all right, Paulie. Lamar Jackson was blank on Sunday almost great. Lamar Jackson was p ode on Sunday Todd. If I'm Allions fan, I feel blank.
Speaker 9: I initially put mode downs that a motown and then I change, Then I changed to.
Speaker 10: Motor s word. Do you think they like these the Lions fan? Yeah, I might try to make the Lions, but it's happy. I'm just calling it out as I see it, as far as a fella.
Speaker 2: Like at the blank, Well you did it?
Speaker 10: Motor s h blank t y motor seatan.
Speaker 2: If I'm Alliance fan, I feel blank, I feel uneasy, Marvin.
Speaker 3: Dejected, Paul despondent.
Speaker 2: If I'm Allions fan, I feel sad. Notre Dame will blank Tonight Todd slay Goliath.
Speaker 10: According to different promos we've been launching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they keep saying it's David versus Goliath Satan. Notre Dame will blank tonight get worked. Oh oh no, wow, sorry, indeed, all right, Marvin.
Speaker 6: Notre Dame will get lucky tonight.
Speaker 2: Okay, whoa, okay, lucky the Irish, all right, Blue.
Speaker 3: Paulie, Notre Dame will win in overtime tonight.
Speaker 2: Mm hmcific.
Speaker 4: Notre Dame will play tonight. Correct my high likelihood of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm gonna win that one.
Speaker 2: I likely. Here's the last one. Ryan Day's beard is blank.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'd like to go first because I track this daily. Unsettling. It unsettles me. His beard.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of things aesthetically that bother Paulie. Yeah, he tends to notice things that no one else does or they bother him. And usually a couple of Mondays each year he'll come in and talk about Ryan Day's beard and h and I'm like, okay, I mean all right. Like the Michigan Ohio State game, Pauli was focused on Ryan Day's beard.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, first round of the playoffs, he hadn't tended to his beard yet, trying to be nice. It was a little salt and pepper and looked more natural. He's a forty five year old man with a dark beard, stunningly dark.
Speaker 2: Yes, he shouldn't be afraid to look older.
Speaker 3: Marcus Freeman is five or six years younger and has a salt and pepper beard.
Speaker 2: Todd Ryan Day's beard, is she lacking integrity? Satan's kind of weird. It's kind of weird. Oh oh, that's kind of I thought he's with saying Todd was kind of weird. That goes without saying weirder. Ryan Day's beard, Todd Fritz Fritzie Marvin. Ryan Day's beard is just for men, just for him. Ryan Dave's beard is spotty, spotty. And that's it. We've done it. PAULI comes up with the topics and then I'm looking down and I go Ryan Dave's beard. I said, all right, sure, just let it go. We'll be watching that. We'll watch for that tonight, Ryan Dave's beard. Didn't they have the coaches interview the coaches.
Speaker 3: It was Chris Bouler sitting down with both head coaches, and it's just a series of platitudes.
Speaker 2: It's I don't need it, I don't I mean if James Franklin was interviewing Marcus Freeman, then that might be entertaining. And this isn't Chris's fault, but you got him there, and they're gonna say, hey boy, but you guy, and they but yeah, you gut don't care, don't care? Uh Tanner in Louisiana High Tanner, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey man?
Speaker 2: How you doing good?
Speaker 14: But hey so, I just wanted to completely agree of lifelong Bears fan, what are they doing at the head coach position? Do you have thirteen candidates going back all the way to when Lovie Smith got fired. We're seventy and one hundred or something like that, losing seasons all of round, except for the one season where Matt Naggie took us to the playoffs.
Speaker 8: And I shouldn't even say that.
Speaker 14: That wasn't Matt Maggie's team. That was vigsan Angels defense with a mediocre offense that managed to work like the Bears always do. We've already passed up on Favral oh Man, we did that already. We passed up on Andy Reid years ago. We've got Mike McCarthy. Maybe I'm not a huge fan of it, but I guess it's better than you know, relying on another untested four dator. I mean, what are what is the front office doing? When are they going to take any amount of good accountability to realize that they're making up a series of bad decisions that's almost as bad as Maggie's and Ibrifush's late game time management.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I keep thinking, if you're going to interview that many candidates, do you know what you're looking for? It's almost like I don't know what I'm looking for, but I'm going to know it when I find it. That's the feeling that I get. Last year, you interviewed far less than you should have. This year feels like it's way too many. You know, there should be a sweet spot of five to seven candidates, and you know you're going to have some you might be thrilled with others. You might go through the motions. Let's be honest, but like, what's Dallas doing? It felt like Dallas was on the verge of hiring Dion. Now they're talking about do we bring in Robert Salah, Does Ben Jhonson want this? Aaron Glenn could be on their radar. Lincoln Riley Now I know inside they're probably going you know, that's all silly stuff, But I don't know in what direction you're going in the Bears Jags, Like, what direction are you going in? What direction can you go in? Who wants those jobs? Saints job? Do you want the Saints? John? Can you get a marquee coach there? The Raiders? That feels like it's Ben Johnson with Tom Brady. It just feels that way. Jaggs, I don't know, Jets, feels like it's Aaron Glenn's Bears. I don't know, Cowboys, I don't know. Did you read a lot? You hear a lot, and then you realize, like, remember when John Gruden's name came up, He's going to be on some coaching list. I don't even know if he's interviewed with anybody. Remember when that was the deal Steve Sarkesian, All of a sudden, he just re signed a contract extent Like this is where agents use people in the media to say, hey, hey, you know what, could you put my client's name out there? Or hey, you know what I'm hearing, Yes, Tom and is.
Speaker 10: Pete Carroll you don the thing?
Speaker 9: Or we're just having fun with the idea of Pete carroll name being kicked around.
Speaker 10: I I wanted to believe that for a little while. Now I've been on hearing much.
Speaker 2: I would love to have Pete back in the NFL, But I have no idea that, like it felt like Chicago, that was a place where he could end up.
Speaker 6: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Once again, you're dealing with a franchise that there's a reason why they're in these situations every three or four years because of this process. All right, let me take a break. How about we write tomorrow's headline today for tonight's National title game. You thought you were going to get out of this seat and that you didn't have to come up with a headline for tonight's game.
Speaker 4: Oh contrare, Dan, I've been looking forward to this all weekend.
Speaker 2: There is no way Todd has so last go off her phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow, this day in sports history, and we will write tomorrow's headline today after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow, this day in sports history. But we are going to write tomorrow's headline today for tonight's national title game? But before that, what if Notre Dame wins tonight? If you're Marcus Freeman And it was reported that the Bears were interested in bringing him in for an interview. I don't know if they did or he's not going to do an interview. But you win a national title thirty nine years of age? Would you leave Notre Dame after a national title? Now we've had him on before. I don't know what his goals are that ultimately you want to get to the NFL, but it's that comfort level, it's quality of life. Do you like where you are? Do you like what you're doing? Do you have the resources there? Are they helping you out more than they did Brian Kelly? Have they learned? Do you do nil transfer portal? Are they going to continue to do like? Those are the questions that I would have because I remember when Lou Holtz took over, when he took over at Notre Dame, and keep in mind Urban Meyer was at Utah and he did a wonderful job, and he wanted to interview at Notre Dame. I think he wanted the job at Notre Dame. He wanted them to relax some of their entrance standards, and they said they weren't going to And then he went to Florida with Lou Holtz. I think with Lou they allowed him to get in one player who wouldn't normally have gotten in, and I think Tony Rice was that one player one year, and Tony was a wonderful quarterback. They won a national title. I don't know if that factors in with Marcus Freeman. Can you continue to do this and you know, if you're going to be handicapped and everybody else it's the wild wild West, then yeah, I would look at going into the NFL. But you're at Notre Dame. You're going to stay in independent, You control your schedule, and you're on TV, you play in big games. Chances are you're always going to be in the playoffs and all that money that's made goes right to the school. You know that would be hard to leave, But I don't know what the infrastructure is there, and is it going to change. Yes, Tom, can you compare it a bit.
Speaker 10: To Dan Hurley?
Speaker 9: The Lakers are trying to get them look nothing less like the Bears we try to get Freeman. But you're comfortable with your family, and you're at Yukon and you really love being the head coach of Yukon, and hopefully coach Freeman loves being the Notre Dame coach and wants to win several titles or go back to back if they will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Dan Hurley doesn't have to deal with entrance exams and qualification and grade points the way that Marcus Freeman does. Now it's completely different. I'm guessing Dan Hurley can get in who he wants to get in Marcus Freeman that it's not the same. But as far as leaving, I like what Dan Hurley did. It's a comfort level. So for everything that this was about with him, it was about his wife. His wife didn't want to go and he listened to her, and that's that's the partnership you need to have. And he chose I think he chose the right decision instead of going to the Lakers because it's the Lakers. So what continue to build what you have? You could be building something that will be all time, all time. All right, Uh, tomorrow's headline today, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 10: I put down Beard's on me Irish win the title.
Speaker 2: Okay, Beard on me, Beard's on me, Ryan, Dave Beard, Okay Seaton.
Speaker 4: My headline is inception, Ohio State treats Notre Dame exactly how Michigan treats Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa inception.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ohio State treats Notre Dame exactly how Michigan treats Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't see that movie. I didn't see that is Marlin Marvin.
Speaker 6: Seize the day. Ohio State pulls out a close one.
Speaker 3: Okay, Paulie, Oh oh no, Buckeys lose to Irish. If you're from Ohio, you know that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's where you're just walking around and somebody will see you have Ohio State gear on. They go ohh and you go Io.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, that's what's great about college football. You hear that. The first time I was ever in Auburn, Alabama, I was walking on the street and there's like a fifteen year old girl and I asked her directions to this restaurant. I go thank you, she goes war Eagle. She didn't say goodbye or hello war Eagle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Old time, yeah, old time. This day in sports history, just a couple for you.
Speaker 3: Free substitution was allowed for the first time in the NFL nineteen forty nine. Ninete eighty five the most watched Super Bowl game in history one hundred and fifteen million. That was Joe Montana getting his third MVP. And in nineteen ninety nine, the NBA lockout officially ended after two hundred and four days.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety six, Fox introduces the Fox track that illuminated the hockey puck. The purists were just a little upset there the illuminated the park. What are you doing? Uh? Imagine if they had social media in nineteen ninety six. On this date, nineteen sixty eight, I was a very sad little guy. Houston beat UCLA seventy one sixty nine, ending the UCLA Bruins forty seven game winning streak. That's when Luel Sindor had the patch over his eye. Elvin Hayes was unbelievable in that game. Yes, Marv, is.
Speaker 6: That who we have to blame for basketball and domes?
Speaker 2: Was that? Yeah? I think that was the first one that was incredible. That and the stands were so far away from the court, so you really lost that ambiance there. But yeah, you had the astrodome astrodome, and they talked about the backgrounds. You know, if you're a shooter, you know, you go into a gym, the first thing you notice is that what's the background? How does it look? Depth perception? And they talked about that in the Astrodome, that the depth perception threw them off a little bit. Well, let me see final results of the pole question, Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got up there. Who was Yesterday's this Weekend's lost? Worse for Lions or the Ravens. Overwhelmingly seventy two percent of the votes say tougher for the Lions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, certainly more heartbreaking yep, yet because it went from hope to expectation, and that's when it really hurts. Let's go around the room. If we learned anything on the program, Todd, I'm going to start with you, what did you learn today?
Speaker 9: Steve Young Feel's composure is like a gift from heaven, the ability to stay common in control under stressful circumstances.
Speaker 2: He's such a great guest he is tells stories. Uh see no counter.
Speaker 4: I learned that the refs don't skew calls towards certain athletes because they're too worried about getting good grades.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I sent sarcasm.
Speaker 2: I would have been a good official. Too worried about my report. I didn't get good grades.
Speaker 6: Marvin Notre Dame was Ryan Clark's dream school.
Speaker 2: Paulie, what did you learn today?
Speaker 3: Ryan Clark made boot tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said he may throw up. Yeah, I lost my paper here? Three? Two?
Speaker 12: What did I learn?
Speaker 5: Todd?
Speaker 9: Ryan Clark says Josh Allen has shown more patience this season, helping the Bills beat the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Hea dot Com The Way Tire Buying should be the official tire expert of the DP show Mobile tire Installation, free, road hazard Protection. Thanks for joining us. Enjoy the game. We look forward to talking to you tomorrow