Speaker 1: Coming up on to Get Loud podcast. We have quarterback face.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have Super Bowl champion Gary bah.
Speaker 1: My god, you gotta stick around for that interview.
Speaker 2: And what else do we have? Dirty old man alert, Dirty old man alert.
Speaker 1: I ain't doing guys, it has to Get Loud podcast for is anybody seek geek the official taking partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 2: That's smooth. I'm jinx fresh fresh off of vacation.
Speaker 1: Looked hand up, face hand and creepy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of those come getting But you say your girl wanted you to throw them.
Speaker 1: My girl said, please grow mustache, keep the stubble, let your big or let your hair kind of go crazy. Just keep this look for a while because I really like it.
Speaker 2: What about the mustache does she like? Because the mustache is ran his turn the mustache? I agree, Like, I think it's creepy to like, see a dude now and he just got a mustage, just a mustache, step stash. Where did they forcome creepy? Did it happen it like the late two thousands or something, but just the mustang. But no, if you're over fifty, you can't rock just the mustache, right, I just said fifty.
Speaker 1: I can do it. Now.
Speaker 2: Do I look creepy? Do you want your kids around me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, Everybody staying away from the guy with the mustache. But the girl likes it, Hey, listen, And if she likes it, I love it. That's the way it has to be. The rumor is I don't remember this, but the rumor is that you used to have a mustache, weasel at the time. You know what, when I first came out of college, because I always had the baby face. And when you're young, you try to look older, and when you're older, you're trying to look young. So with that time, I was like, I need facial hair, but I couldn't grow a beard. Yeah, at the time, it was more like Paul Pierce in the Playoffs, you know, it was very spoty. I couldn't do it. So I just grew the mustache. And then one day I was looking in the mirror and I was ashamed of myself. Have you ever looked in the mimble visually? I'm the same say what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What are you doing with this mustache? So then I just cut it off and then I started going military style, just clean face, yep. And that seemed to be good for me. But every wintertime I grew a beard, okay for my mom. You know, no shave, November cancer. You know, I grow my beard, but then I cut it right back off so the sun show his face. Can be I can grow a full beard, Yes I can. Oh, yes I can. That's when I turned to my alter ego, Smoothers Smooth's album. See you don't want to see Smoogers. I'm different than listen. I'm different with that beard. Now you know what I can say this about a beard? Okay, it go with a soup. Oh and bener and style too. When did it happen? When did women just say, you know what lumberjacks we want all down? And men? I did the men say you know what beards are? Back end? Because I don't know when it happened. I just remember it flipping, and I remember I wasn't cool anymore because I don't rock a beard right. And then now I'm in the elevator going to like the tenth floor. Some dude gets on the elevator, freshly groomed beard, lined up to the tea, smelling like a god. And now I'm taking guessing myself in my bed of them. So at the end of the day, hair for some men, so some men not. I would like to get a poll on how women really feel about beards. Do they love them, do they like them? They just okay?
Speaker 1: Well, if you're a lady in the comments, but in the comments beers beard or no? Yes, I already know which think about mustache? Yes, be like Jinks no go yeah, but I gotta keep the lady happen. Yeah, I understand beard or no.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: Thing that you are good at is evaluating talent. When I was on vacation, this was in the comments. This is from Contour thirty nine twenty Is it's just me? Or is Fred Smooth actually a better player evaluator than Logan? And someone else responded and I've been singing for months now Fred is way better evaluating players.
Speaker 2: Thank you fans for telling the truth. Now Logan is very good, but this is your chance, but he're gonna think about it. You don't go to a restaurant because it's very good. You go to great restaurants, right, and mine is a great restaurant, five stars, five stars. Where you talk about talent evaluation. At the end of the day, when I look for a football player, it's more than the forty is more than the bench press. Do you love the game of football? And then if I can find two or three things that I feel like that'll translate to the pros from college. If you got three out of the five, I think you got a good chance. Now it's all about what system do you get into right now? After that? Like as high as I was on Deebo Samuels when he came out, I knew he needed to be in the right system because if he didn't, they was gonna use him wrong. So I myself breaking down these guys. The combine was they blew it away this weekend, Yes, Like the combine was crazy. So watching these guys under that type of stress show up and do what they did, the DB's ran up out of there. Right I'm talking about four three, four fours. Everywhere the athletes are doing what everything else on earth does. They are evolving and that's a scary thing. They are getting bigger, stronger, faster. So now it's all about who could play within these white lines, within these four quarters. Who has the nerves to come down and understand it's still football. So it's a mental part of that too, so it can't all be about visual. I think you also had to try to break the player down mentally and see what do we loved the game of football?
Speaker 1: You said something that I always think is interesting, which is does this guy love the sport? Because there are a lot of players out there that good that that's good that they're like, I'm great at football, but I don't know if I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, And you know players that love it because contracts don't matter to them. Like you see some players get a contract and they play go down. That mean they don't love the game. Right. They're good at the game, they got paid for the game, but they don't love it. Like I was always told this, if you love something and you love put love in it, it'll love you back. Yeah. Well, this game of football has loved me because I have put love into it. So I could always tell in the locker room which player loves it. Like I used to love practicing me coach Gibb just talking about it, I'll tell you, like what, most players don't love practice? Why do It's another day of playing football. I love the locker room, I love my teammates, I love just doing it. Like people don't understand this is a children's game. We're getting paid as grown men to play a game. I play a children's game. I better enjoy it with a childlike heart, because if you don't, it will spit you to, you up and spit you out, no doubt.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna get into the combine and what we say. Awesome players, maybe on the rise, baby got to it's falling in yours.
Speaker 2: But what was your comedy experience?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: First of all, I was part of that at one percent of one percent, so I ain't have to really do nothing that to come by. I was just walking around with my chest out, you know what I'm saying, daffing people up, talking to people. I did my interviews. I really didn't do nothing at to come by. But I did the bench press one time, baby, one thrust. There you go, rack them, dude, I told to rack them. Y'all is not come here for a bodybuilder. You came here for a football player. I'm a grass athlete. Show me the grass and I'll show you some some interceptions. I'll show you some players watch me run. I was never the strongest. I was one hundred and seventy five pounds when I came out right five fifty pounds more than so at the time, and then long ums that don't help you in the bench press, right, So I already knew that was gonna be my weakest thing, but I knew how to I didn't care. Like and when one coach told me, like, I give you more props for getting under there, because most players wouldn't have they would have find a way to say I ain't gonna do the bench press. He was like, you knew you was gonna do it one time. You did not care that say, it's a lot about you. So I think sometimes people gotta understand you're gonna be on the surface any rate. They canna find out everything about you and the comebine like it's the most intrusive, Like they know everything from your blood type. We literally sit in the hospital for the first eight hours after we land. We literally land, we get on the bus and we go to the hospital for eight hours. They checking everything from bone man and everything you can possibly a family history in the history in your fair like they gonna get down to the nitty gritty and do what I say, Like, sometimes I don't think the combine is fair in it, right, because you just took two paints some of blood right, and now you want me to run the forty tomorrow and bench like, come on, inn like I think it's it's it's high wress a ride only a few people can hear me.
Speaker 1: And also there's an interview process.
Speaker 2: They want to get to know you. And guess what this is. How the interview looks. See these cameras out here, the GM sitting right there, the head coach sitting right there with the caramonia, Fred God, Fred Smooth? What happened on Mississippi State campus two thousand of May the second I went to a frat party and it was jumping. So they know these factual things about you, and they want to see you talk about these things. They're gonna ask some of the weirdest questions like this one, Fred Smooth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened to that buttercake you made over the weekend?
Speaker 2: It was drunken? Oh okay, and I lost to Zach Selby Man. I lost the cookoff and it hurt so bad. See the thing about it, he went ooey gouie like the ones you buy out of the store the square on and I tried to do it my stroll style. Alright, that was in my spring loaded pan. I tried to make it higher. I tried to make it steakhouse quality. I feel short in doing it. Feel short. We'll be back, but I'll be back. Don't worry about it. Hey. The one thing about it, I'm young, jeezy when I come to that of and then they're kitchen and them possing and pays.
Speaker 1: So you watched a lot of the combine. I watched some of it as well. Who is a player or two that you watched, and certainly what they did in college stands out on the field, but that really stood out to you moneymakers of the weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's start off with one guy, JJ McCarty. Listen to me, Not only does he have quarterback face. Now you know my terms of quarterback face. Do you understand that. You gotta explain it all right? Quarterback faces. This when we grew up in high school and junior high school, ain't the tallest, sexiest, prettiest man always the quarterback. Listen, it just happens right like college and walk up in you're like, you don't have to see who the quarterback is. You can put them out like it's the quarterbacks quarterback face. So I was like, oh right, So I started to do my investigation on quarterback face all right, and I have a scale of one to ten. JJ McCarty comes into the eight point five in quarterback face me. He's a very attractive man.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: So, the thing about it is, I did my investigation. I was like, well, who are the unattractive quarterbacks that have been great in the league. So as I started to go through, it was only two teams that kept sticking out, that just kept coming with ugg quarterbacks. The Pittsburgh Stealers. Oh yeah, they had been they had a run for a while. Cordell Stewart, big Ben. Yeah, it wasn't good, you know. So then no, I'm being honest, no I know. So then I started saying, you know, well, who out of you know the great quarterback. Then I was like, damn Marino Joe, like these guys yeah, Patrick mahone old boy. You know what I'm saying, Like, come on, man, so quarterback, you show me a quarterback. Then I started to drop him down my draft board. Now, like I said, it's a selpfious to the rule, it's a selfish to everything. Sure, but JJ McCarthy, I think by interviewing the way he threw the ball, and he only did what he was asked to do in college with a pro coach in college, I think he made hisself some money this week I wouldn't be shocked if six quarterbacks go in the first round.
Speaker 1: He grows the beard, he might get even better.
Speaker 2: Now he billyed he with, that's gonna be too much. I thought Michael Pennix made hisself some money this weekend. I thought he threw the ball. Well. Everybody talking about how the doxs is throwing motion in his left hand, but people don't understand about it. If you're catching a left hand ball, it's spends kund of clockwise. It's different, different than the right hand ball. So I think people don't look at that. So I think he made him some money. Pop Chop Robinson, I was gonna say, Chop Robinson. He looked good. He looked good.
Speaker 1: He's already in All American and then he shut off that speed and random that's what.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about. Two hundred and forty pounds, and he say he was named poor Chop because when he was born he was fourteen pounds. God imagine carrying him congratulation. You knew, hey, you knew when he was born. I would have held him up just like this. This is the Knicks. Like fourteen pounds. That's two babies and one that's twin, Oh my god. And one baby, No, two seven pound twin. That's a hefty bird. Another one that looked good of getting off their bus. I brought up Deebo Simmons. Okay, South Carolina game cops got another one. Xavier Leget Okay, he is listen. He looked like on a swar with his shirt off. Oh, then he ran a four four forty. Then he looked fluent in all his drills. Do not be shocked if he heat skyrockets. Okay, put like this. He won't get past the Chiefs at thirty two if he's still available, but he probably won't be available. I got one for it. Talk to me checks his boy Byron Murphy the second. Yes he did, big boy, let me tell you. And when you said Texas, I thought you were gonna go for the low hand group.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not gonna talk about Xavier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I'm talking about six.
Speaker 1: One three oh five, built like a bowling ball, who runs a four to eighty seven as a defensive tackle.
Speaker 2: Do people understand what four point eight seconds is as a de tackle. He's three hundred pounds and I just said it takes him four point eight seconds to run forty yards. That's a car accident. Every time he hits somebody chasing him down, that's a car accident. Made him some money. This we assure that Roma dooms Day, Oh yep, hey listen, love him. Great name, Roma dooms Day. Listen, I literally be doctor doone would be my name, and I would burn every cornerback in the lead with a name like that. He reminds me of Jamar Chase. So what is that telling you? It's a great baller, All right baller. Everybody's talking about marm and Harrison and they should. But this kid right here, if Marvin right here, this guy is right there, it's not. It's not that far like people. I understand Marma Harrison polished. This dude right here is polished too. Another guy, and it's the it's the death of Alabama. That's why I've been enjoying watching this. But this is gonna be their last good crop. I enjoy watching the death of Alabama. Dallas Turner, showed up, showed out, made his mama some money. You know when you did it too, because see, I've been there as a player like cause it ain't nothing jinx like running the forty Right when you put your hand on that line and you're thinking about everything you did in your career, everything you didn't work, every everything you didn't work for about these next four seconds, everything you ever done. So when you do this, your mind and your mind is I mean, finna make me some money. I'm finna lose some and that'll motivate you. And when you come out of there, and when you running, and I'm talking about running, you're running for your life. You're running for everything. And when you cross that line and you heard the clock and they like four to three selves, did you see that right there? Because you know now I just broke the sound, Burier. Now only did I break the sound Burier, I did it right here, right now when I had to do it. The pressure on you, the pressure mad yourself some money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, let's pay some bills, make you somebody make some money.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Honda.
Speaker 1: You gotta feel the power of the CIV Hybrid and the Court Hybrid Honda's most electricfinic vehicles yet. Find adventure one of Honda's rugged SUVs and trucks like the Pilot Trail Sport, Honda's most rugged suv ever. Or experience the thrilling performance of the fund to drive Honda Civic. Will it available turbocharged engine. Get power, performance and ruggedness with Honda. Find the Honda perfect.
Speaker 2: For you, whether you have a mustache or not. I could see you just driving the Hounding with their mustage. The wind is blowing through the See your local hot today. Get a free mus stage with it.
Speaker 1: Recycle Track Systems y'all transforming the way commercial businesses and communities manage waste and recycling.
Speaker 2: They combine the.
Speaker 1: Power of a with premium customer service. They optimize waste pickup schedules, and they ensure timely, inefficient collections to keep our neighborhoods cleaner and greener. There it is visit RTS dot com to learn more about how they can help your business.
Speaker 2: Manage waste more responsibly. So we talked about the combine.
Speaker 1: Obviously, what we see in the draft will affect teams in the upcoming season. If you talk about teams who are maybe mystery teams, if you will. Yes, teams that have a lot to work with. The commander is one of those teams. Yes, But teams where based on draft, based on cap, based on the direction of which they want to go, are intriguing to you.
Speaker 2: The Pittsburgh Steelers, let's start there, okay, because out of all the bad quarterback play they had last year, they almost make the playoffs. Do y'all understand? Yeah, that's say that they trade with the Chicago Bears, get him a second round pick for Justin Fields. Now, how do you think about the Pittsburgh Steelers much differently, much differently? They like? Then you like, yeah, they going to the playoffs most definitely? You feel that way, all right? I will feel that way because of the Mika Fitzpatricks on their team. Don't forget they still got TJ what like George Pickens they got they got ballers, all right. So they are team that you always got to watch out for cause they Pittsburgh period. And also he'll be attrack to quarter back on the team too. Next, I got the Green Bay Packers. Okay, they did it with puppies this year. They did it with youngsters this year. That's true. They're going to get a year older and bring in another year of talent. And we know one thing about green Bay. They know how to draft and nurture talent. The green Bay Packers are starting some special up there and nobody wants to talk about it, all right, they are. And I love Kirk Cousins. I just don't see him staying in Minnesota being a threat to Green Bay. Are to the Detroit Lions, I just do not fill any threat from them. Another team that's very intriguing, and they could feel justin fields. How about justin fields to the Atlanta Falcons. Oh, justin fields. They have weapons, be Jah and Robinson, Kyle Pitts, a tight end, Drake London. They wid receive an instant playoff team in a week. NFC South, what do you think about the Giants?
Speaker 1: Like in the world of the Giants, they stinky, But they're saying now that they're thinking about a quarterback at number six or making a move for a quarter like they signed Daniel Jones to that massive deal they have at taxed sae Quon.
Speaker 2: Yet, Yeah, is there a possibility.
Speaker 1: That they say, you know what, let's just blow it up, you know and just and just start to scratch.
Speaker 2: You know what, Just like I say, quarterback face has a lot to do with me when I'm looking at quarterbacks. Also, I'm one of them people with athletes athlete names. Like we have names, ok, like names that you don't hear in this regular society all of the time. Yeah, like you don't hear kool aid m cask hed. Like these football sports names give us something to live up to. Now, if you tell me, here'll come. Daniel Jones.
Speaker 1: You mean fidelities like Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: Daniel Jones. I've met ninety nine Daniel Jones on my way to work this morning. There's nothing more normal than Daniel in Jones. Listen to me. You want regular play, you want every day regular play, Go get a guy with a regular name. Yeah, Patrick mahonalds ain't no regular name. Ain't regular like too, not a regular name like Joe Mont, John Elway. You know one of those. Yeah, I know a thousand dann Daniel Jones is fred nice to me?
Speaker 1: I hear you're interested in the bond market, like I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, Daniel Jones. Are you doing my taxes like Daniel Jones? No, they don't feel like JJ McCarthy. Here comes JJ McCarthy in the New York Giants.
Speaker 1: Now there is a possibility the Giants could make a move or they stick at six where McCarthy could be.
Speaker 2: No, he will be. It's gonna be there. He will be there.
Speaker 1: So the question is, take that handsomness, society, even though he's like a handsome quarterback.
Speaker 2: Would you take JJ McCarthy at six? Sometimes I was always told by rich men, Okay, your best investments, you probably overpay for them. Okay, So yes, if that's gonna be your investment and you go overdraft him, I don't never feel like you overdrafted if you got your person you want, right. So at the end of the day, if they feel like Daniel Jones is too regular, they need somebody to come in there with some Yeah, they could throw the ball, all right, why not? Why not? Daniel Jones has shown you one thing. My best year, I was still regular. M you paid me. Count that money. I ain't never gonna stop nobody from getting no contract, right, count that money. But if you're a Giants fan right now, you can't tell me you wouldn't rather have Michael Pennix JJ McCarthy and take their uh, let them take their bumps and watch them go through their bruises. Then you will watch Daniel Jones, a guy that'd been in the league for five to six years.
Speaker 1: How much of that is due to the Giants? I mean offensively, they just don't They have Saquon. Their line is bad, They don't have.
Speaker 2: A lot of talent. So who they got he a free agent? Well, right, they couldn't take you.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying if you're looking at Daniel Jones in the past couple years, right, like he's had Saquon there, Yeah, banged up, but they don't have a lot of offensive tools. So how much of that do you chalk up to the Giants just being sold more bund offense?
Speaker 2: Hey, we we can't do that, Jenks don't do that. Don't see, I'm gonna make it. I dont think he's a great quarterback. They called it making an excuse for your kids. If your kids bad, they probably because you're a bad parent. At the end of the day. No, you can't make an excuse for him because I just watched past the home take his team to the Super Bowl and win it with a seventh round wide receive. I mean a running back, a thirty five year old tight end and nobody at wide receiver at quarterback, Are you a dude or are you a force multiplier? A force multiplier makes those around him better. Yeah, Daniel Jones don't make anybody better. He's not a force multiplier. He's a dude. Yes, that's it. I think they want to They understand you got Dak, you got Jalen Hurts, and come on, Washington got the number two pick, and you got Daniel Jones. So I'm asking you, no, I don't believe in Daniel Jones.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious because it's all relative, right, Like, even behind an incredible offensive line, I don't think he's some sort of top tier quarterback. I'm saying, on a bad football team. How much does that play into any sort of evaluation of any quarterback? Like how much better would he be behind the great offensive line?
Speaker 2: So much better? Or just still a dude? I think he's still a dude. I don't think it's anything special about Daniel Jones. Where Like if I told you to close your eyes and give me the just guess a quarterback that might have a chance to be in the Super Bowl in the next five years. I wouldn't guess that's not coming out. No, not a Daniel Jones led Giants team, Right, you don't think that. I don't think that. I would say Bryce Young before I say that, because I know he did have a terrible team and he a rookie. Yes, rookie, go have an I'm fine with that. But I like insanity doing the same thing over and over again, inspecting a different resort. I think that's what the Giants are doing right now. I think it's regular. Like, like, this is one thing in sports you really never want to be. You never want to be in mediocrity, correct and stuck in that. That's where they are. This is where they are. Like you either want to like be at the top or at the bottom. At least you got a direction you going up? Are you trying to stay there?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: They're right here in the middle. Yes, eight and nine, that's where they are. Seven and nine.
Speaker 1: Well whatever, I feel like that's how the Vikings have been with Kirk Cousins for years. I mean, I'm not trying to change the conversation. I'm just saying, if you're talking about being stuck in mediocrity, look, Kirk is obviously Kirk co Chains much better quarterback than Jones, is good enough to take him next level, know, which is why for years the Vikings just kind of sitting there churning winning some regular season games.
Speaker 2: It was never a playoff threat, but never a playoff threat.
Speaker 1: And just you know what, You're gonna have a fine regular season, You're gonna lose in the playoffs, and you know what, You're next year the very same thing. And sometimes you have to say it's time for a chance, and.
Speaker 2: You're gonna pay him. Like the one thing I can say about Kurt, he is one of the best accounts out there with he know how to cast some checks now, but you're not going to get past the first round of the playoffs with Kirk Cousins. Is your quarterback? Correct? It's proven. I don't this ain't no. If I'm not guessing right, this is who he is.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna become a different player coming off of a killer his injury at thirty six.
Speaker 2: He's not right. But guess what, eight billion people on this planet. We haven't found thirty two people that can play quarterback at the same time, do y'all understand the numbers? I just said eight billion? We can't find thirty two people to be good at the quarterback at the same time, imagine that everybody eighty nine, everybody eighty eight. Imagine just a duel. Every time you shure, what, no, we haven't found that. We never find that. Here's something hard to find dual sport athletes.
Speaker 1: And I am reading, yeah, that you were almost a walk on basketball player.
Speaker 2: I was. I was always built like a basketball player. Don't you think I was never built like a football player?
Speaker 1: Right? If I get if I didn't know you like he played basketball.
Speaker 2: Basketball always built and basketball helped me in football. Father is a lot, but basketball was my theme for a long time. But I also played both sports. And Randalo was at Indiana at the time. Randaleo was dual sports. Randalo played quarterback for the football team, point going for the basketball team.
Speaker 1: I remember playing quarterback. I got you play basket.
Speaker 2: He played part guard. So they was like, we'll let both of you play if you come here. And they was like, not only are we gonna let you play basketball and football, We're gonna let you play cornerback. And why we want you to partner with ill on the offense. Oh, they were trying to get you man oh I left Indiana, told my mama, I am going to Indiana. I'm about to be a Hoosier. I was so Coach Cam. Coach Cam Cameron was the coach at the time he came to the Pro three years later. I was going to be a part of that team. And it had a lot to do with the duo, all the stuff that they was gonna let me do. And I know you shocked that I had the grace to get into Indiana.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I see Anna behind that, like, yes, I was dead intelligence, Yes it was there. But speaking of duel guys, it's been a lot of guys that I think people forget about. That was two sports stars. That's right. Julius Peppers played North Carolina hoops. You know how good.
Speaker 1: You gotta be the good player, a good player.
Speaker 2: Then you got a guy like Tony Gonzalez who actually hooped, like did both of them extensively, and he was the star, owned the basketball. He was the man.
Speaker 1: That's one of the reasons why he got drafted. So how they said, have you seen this kid on a court court?
Speaker 2: Yes, So people forget about Tony Gonzalez. Bo Jackson gotta throw him out. Bo nos Like the thing about bow is, do you think with no injury, is he the biggest what if in NFL history? If he if he don't get hurt, is he the all time? Leaning Russia? Not Barry saying, I mean not Immage Smith, because I think so.
Speaker 1: Watching him play you see more of his baseball hellots and footballs. But man, he was just a force. Yes, I've never seen anything. I've never seen a combination after that.
Speaker 2: Ever, you got Charlie Ward, the Heisman Trophy winner that not only wins the Heisman, gets drafted in the NBA, never plays football in the pros. All right, Then you got everybody forget about bj Brian Jordan. That's a good call. Brian Jordan played cornerback with Prime and then they would and go play last they did. Everybody forget about Brian Jordan. Terrell oins. People don't understand that Chattanooga he hooped, he would go like he played both sports at Chattanooga. People don't forget that about t O. Now I know that Jason's campbell my quarterback. That's my quarterback. People don't understand Jason got drafted out of high school as a picture. Did it really got off of the scholarship football and basketball to Auburn. Yes he was a three sport guy. I did not know that, but now you do. Now you do. To get loud podcasts brought to you by Bet three six five Official Sports, being partner of the Washington Commanders. Bet on the range NFL markets with bet three six apps, craft your own personal lives, bet slipped and parlays at six thousands of game with live screaming. Place your bet before the match or doing the game. It's up to you. Download the Bet three six five app to day joined eighty million members worldwide, twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem called a text one eight hundred gambler m WAA. We don't travel to escape life. We travel so life don't escape us. We dream anywhere in the world, and in the blink of eye, we're there. That's the one, the flight. All you have to do is decide where to Dullis International Airport. Let your imagination sore, book your adventure today at fly Dullis dot com. Slash non stop uills.
Speaker 1: Paid, bills paid, and just like that, ABC abricadabra, and we bring in a special guest Redskins legend. This Gary Clark, one of the greats to ever play receiver for this organization.
Speaker 2: How are you the man the mill the legends. See, you know what when we want to get winners in the buildings. See the one thing about us We played football, but we ain't mean nothing.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: See, I ain't the head yields, I ain't the same head coaches here and we still couldn't win nothing. But we here right now with the Super Bowl Champ, the one and only. Gary. Thank you for coming to the show, my brother.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys for having me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You know what was funny is that you sat down about thirty seconds and Smooth was already talking about matchups.
Speaker 2: Immediately competitive like we like to talk to traans to each other. So we brought up a scenario one day, I think we was in the lunch room. Dad here was here, and we said, what would have happened with the matchup with me Champ Bailey and dere Green okay versus Ricky Sanders, Gary Clark, Art Monk. All right, Now, I didn't say who their quarterback was.
Speaker 3: They had it wouldn't matter.
Speaker 2: How you think that matchup?
Speaker 3: Go, now, we were multi them super Bowls with different quarterbacks. It's all good, man.
Speaker 2: So what do you think we got a chance with y'all to know, you just give us some problems.
Speaker 3: I mean, y'all would have got us prepared for the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yes, we ain't going to the super Bowl with y'all.
Speaker 3: Y'all got us prepared.
Speaker 1: You would have helped us on the practice squad.
Speaker 3: But no, seriously, though, I mean, you guys men and man skills were off the charts. You know, I got a chance to watch you guys play. They get a chance to play against your of course, but I got a chance to watch you guys played and just to see how you guys would handle the different receivers and quite talented receivers that came after we had left the game. And no, you guys are excellent, excellent cornerbacks. I mean one percent. You guys could definitely talk trash and back it up the majority of the time. I mean a posse, that's the whole that that's kind of picking your poison. Everybody list all three defensive backs would have to be on point that game. Yeah, you know, because typically that's every now and then, you know, like it's not like we always had great games every game that we played, but there was gonna be one or two of us that it was always going to come out and shine because you know, they weren't getting doubled that day, you know, So if you didn't double with me, I took it as I took it as an insult, as you should. I mean, I took it as an insult, and and it just made it worse for that team, quite honestly, because you know, especially if you're doubling with a safety, if you're double them with two good cornerbacks, that's different. Like like say like your your main cornerback and then you're a fifth man coming in. You know, that's different. But you try to double with a corner and a safety, yeah, I say safe safety. Safety. Safety is not used to covering.
Speaker 2: They don't cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, they're not no. One on one type of thing. They're always back there. They got that cushion between them. So if I ever get head up with you and your safety, yeah, the game's over. It's different. If you're a cornerback, you know how to treat they they're know how to retreat. They know how to cheat. They know how to hold, they're notw to do just like and we know how to push off. We know how to do all those sames safeties. They're never in that situation typically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me ask you this to one of your teams got voted the most complete team of all time? All right. I don't know if you.
Speaker 3: Saw the probably did not even super Bowl.
Speaker 2: And I was about to ask you about that. I teams you played on. You played on some damn good teams. Which one was the most complete?
Speaker 1: To you? Now? I know what.
Speaker 2: I know what the magazine and ESPN voted on. Which one was the most complete team? Where you you felt like every time, y'all when the first quarter, baill run y'all, you're like, this is already over.
Speaker 3: I'd probably have to say the ninety one I probably have to say the ninety one team, just because we started off so strong. You know, we could spot you a lead and then just come and take it away, you know, like we And the biggest reason I felt that way is no matter even the games that we lost lay honest, which really was only Dallas. He thought we lost against Philadelphia too, but Joe pulled out. He had pulled off the starters out of the game because of the playoff situation. But we never thought we was out of a game. And that's I mean, that's I don't care if it could have been forty to nothing in the fourth quarter, yeah, but eight minutes left, we still would think we'd win the football game. And it's just our mindset was that way. And when you got defenses who was just shutting everybody down, and then you got an offense that can store thirty points in a quarter if they need to, Yeah, that's the hard combination to beat right there. And we just for some reason that year, everything was all cylinders. We didn't have injuries, everybody was healthy. You know, we went into it. I mean, quite honestly, we should have went undefeated that season. I'm so mad that we didn't go undefeated because everybody wants the perfect record. Everybody's chasing the Dolphins, everybody the Patriots the most important game. But uh but yeah, I mean we thought it was going to have it that way, and we probably was a little cocky. Probably. Yeah, the lost. Honestly, the lost might have been looking could have been good because it brought us back to reality. We were we were like, I mean, we're always ready. Always were kind of a little bit cocky as a team, you know. I mean I remember in my first Super Bowl with the Hogs. I mean they're telling the Broncos what plays we're going to run. You know, they're so confident, man, they may letting them know what it is. And so initially I was like, God, so crazy what you're doing. That's one of my third year in the league, right, yeah, I'm like, don't be quiet, you know. But about about four fifth year and I'm saying, I'm telling Dv's what I'm going to do, you know, because TeV don't know if I'm telling the truth lying. Yeah, But then what you know is that when you do do it, and then they see that you did do what you said, you was a good mess with their psyche. The next time you play Oh yeah, so the next time you play them, I'm going to lie to you at that time. Yeah, you know, I'm going to lie to you and tell run some time around. I'm telling run a posma around corner.
Speaker 1: The way the game has changed now where it's such a pass happy league, the quarterback is so predicted and we see offenses just explode. You look back and say, man, if I was playing today, my numbers mid your numbers were already incredible back then. In today's game, I feel like they'd be even bigger than they work.
Speaker 2: The field is open, yes it was. It was closed when he played because they were knocking pep out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're getting headaches, you know. And they bought me in to be the guy to go across the middle of the field. So my initial my first fight, that's what me. I'm taking that fifteen yard square ending that slant. I was getting headaches every week because I was getting the crap knocked out there to do it. But you know, that was like my little niche that I was able to do and be able to turn into other things. But if I was playing in today's game, But the amount of times that they throw the rock, yeah, tig. I mean, like Terry's finally breaking some of my records now, but those records are all thirty years old. Yeah, I mean, so, I mean if I was playing now, where I'm going to catch a hundred balls a year? Yeah, more than one hundred balls a year, come on now. Yeah, Okay, we came in. We came in the league when it was a when I first came into the league, fifty catches was the thing, Like, you got fifty catches, she was considered a good receiver. Yeah, you know, and then you know Shouston in Buffalo. Yeah, and then we turned from like a run first team because Joe has always been a run first, throw second team. We ended up turning it. But he's also looks at his personnel. That's what I loved about Joe, Like he looks at his personnel and did it slowly. After the eighty seventh when we got to about around eighty nineteen eighty nine, it was throw pass set up to run. Our running backs still got a thousand yar yes, yeah, but because they thought we was going to throw the ball three downs out of the four downs, you know, so it started. You know, we had we had a Joe was just brilliant and how he mastered that offense. I mean, this was unbelievable what we could do with it. And he also allowed us to we want to make a change in the game. Better work, Yeah, that'll work. But it worked. But yeah, I brought up to the quarterback. We never brought it up to Joe. We brought it up during the game to the quarterbacks, and then the quarterbacks would have to agree to it, of course, But you know, it's like anything else. We're the players, like for example, you're the def it's a back then you know if they call a zone, but you know that you can shut me down, you're gonna go and shut me down, just going to I mean so, but you need a coach that allows you to do those things and don't and then you're not gonna be right every time, you know. But he doesn't hold that against you, and he still allows you to go out there and play your game. And that's what I loved about Joe. He allowed you know, he probably hated me. He told me, I hate you Monday through Saturday. I love you on Sundays, you know so, But he's just he was just a magical coach. And you find coaches like that. Eventually you win Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Here, I played in FedEx Field. You watched a million games field, but you played it rifk Uh. I'm sure it's a stark difference in them. Could you paint a picture. Could you take me on a Sunday afternoon and and just described to me how it feels, maybe even from the drive in, like take me to r f K and it made it so special.
Speaker 3: We truly had a twelve man It was unbelievable. I mean, you come into the stadium and for the most part, there is no other color jersey in your stadium. Like for example, when we need the crowd the defense, I mean, the offense has a ball on the other team, our crowd is loud. And when our offense has a team sold yeah, we get stuff into it. I mean it was unbelievable. And I mean the fans, I mean we had like something like an eighty thousand waiting list. We're sold out. We're sold out. It was still sold out before I got there. Yeah, you know. And and again. But when Joe came back to FedEx Field and Fedxfield got a common dominant denomination of that is Joe Gibbs, and he he knows how to get his the most out of his player. It was a different type of player when he came back the second time around, it wasn't quite the same type of player. He didn't have same same type of control. Like practices were like a little different, you know, Like and because you know, we hit, we hit every day. We even you know, we put on shorts on Friday shorts and shoulder paths. But anytime you had shower pads on, we were going to hit.
Speaker 2: We hit, you know.
Speaker 3: So now like practices now, I can kind of see why defensive players tend to miss more tackles now because they don't actually hit in practice anymore. And that's it's kind of hard if you don't practice your craft to become great at it again. You know, I mean if I was being a coach would be a little different. I know, coach. As a coach, we can't tell you to do that. Well, what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna cut practice short by hour and a half, and I'm going to have my captains on the team, like Fressmoma, y'all got during Yeah, y'all go out during practice. Then they can do it. They won't do our own time. So go out there and get it done, because at the end of the day, the team seem to go the extra mile. Are the teams that win in this mark And I'm cuaranteeing the teams that we see that are winning super Bowls, they're doing something that's a little different. That's not by the roles. If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.
Speaker 2: You ain't trying, ain't we from the nineties, you learn a lot to a legend. That's a legend right.
Speaker 3: Now, that's been true. I mean think about it, like every play, somebody's cheating what it is, somebody's holding, somebody's pushing on just what it is? Like I mean, because he is such a good defensive back, there's gonna be a lot of times that he guess is right what I'm doing, and he's right on me, So I'm gonna have to push him over open. There's times where he doesn't figure out what I'm doing. He's have to grab my hand and hold me. But it's not gonna look like a whole The key is mastering your craft. And a lot of people they don't master their craft anymore. They don't take the time to dig in to practice over and over and over again. So this this is a push off.
Speaker 2: You see that.
Speaker 3: You do not see that, You do not see this push off? Right, But takes time to master that because the're not you're gonna do that in the game and to see that.
Speaker 2: But see now I had got to the point I know you can't run without your own I used to grab but I used to swing with him, so I'm not swinging against him. To you, it looks like nothing. But then yes, but now if I grab it and don't run with him, it's gonna look like I'm holding. So this trick set of trade to get things done.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's exactly what it is. And that's that's the game of football, and that's what you love about it, you know you love that.
Speaker 2: I have to.
Speaker 3: I would have to sit down and really try to analyze how he played as a defensive back. You know I did that later end of my career. I should have did it, and the very started my career. My career, early part of my career was just so freaking Cocky's ridiculous. It's not fair. It's not fair. I didn't watch film. I didn't rewatch film probably until my seventh eighth year in the league.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Be fair? I mean, but for me, if I had to give myself at age, you know how you gotta give yourself an I'd be like I got the girl away to play with a chip on my shoulder. Now I said, okay, now you didn't watch any film, but you so now you gotta go out there and you gotta play hard, you gotta give them a hundred percent. You gotta do your thing. But there was games I should have looked at the damn. I was like, this is not a good game, you know. But I think as a player, you gotta do whatever gives yourself that edge mentally that it allows you to play better. That for me, that's what it wasn't. You know what if I don't look at him, that means I gotta bring my best come son, you know, in terms of but I prepare because preparation is everything everything for a player to become like Fred don't want to be good. He wanted to be great. That's why he was a great cornerback, not just a good cornerback. If you just want to be good, you're gonna be good. You want to be great, you gotta work at it and you got to put in the time. Like when I see people, when you see practice is over and that feels nobody's on the field, they'll tell you everything you need. All right, now, I know if the team could be good at back.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. And we started this all by saying this whole podcast by we were talking to Trail, what player loves football? Right, come. They come because they love you. Pay me later, I'll come to play some football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well played football as good as it gets.
Speaker 2: The National Football League, Super.
Speaker 1: Bowl Champion, Pro Bowler, All Pro Gary Clark.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it. She should be in the Hall of Fame. But they seem to snub my guy. They seem to snub the Washington guy, the Jacobe's of the world, the Brian Mitchell's of the world. I don't know what this internal external hate for the Washington guys coming from, but we're gonna have to make a step forward to get these guys where they just do.
Speaker 3: Now. I'm just glad to be on y'all podcast. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, appreciate you. I don't know how you follow that. It's hard to follow break to follow greatness, but we do have to pay the bills. So we're gonna do that with handa. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Please do feel the power of the CRV Hybrid and a Court Hybrid, Honda's most electrifying vehicles yet. Find adventure in one of Honda's rugged SUVs and trucks like the Pilot Trail Sport, Honda's most rugged suv ever, or experience the thrilling performance of the fun to drive Honda Civic with an available turbo charged engine. Get power, performance and ruggedness with Honda. Find the Honda perfect for you at your local Honda dealer and breaking news Commanders fans want to hear. Sea Geek is the official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders. The dealer's finalize they are the newest member of the family. If you haven't heard the name yet, get used to it. Whether you're buying or selling tickets to Commanders games or any other live event in the DMV, see Gek gives the place to do it. Seek Geek the official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 2: So Commanders fans, Yeah, Yeah. Debate of the Week, Yes it is Johnny Manziel. I don't like Johnny Manziel, but he says, I don't like Johnny Football is a tail, like you know what. When he first hit the scene, I was like, he's been here before, you know how, Like Johnny Football. I feel like it's a tale from like the fifties, of this guy, of this lure. I think Johnny is a cautious tale.
Speaker 1: He is a cautionary tale, no question about that.
Speaker 2: So I think him being humbled by all this. I would love to see a Johnny Football redemption, similar to like Doug Flutie, Johnny Football goes to the Canadian League. He did go for a one no go play for five years re establish hisself. Some quarterback gets hurt with like three games left. This team brings in football football, takes that team to the Super Bowl and wins it. Listen, I just I always pray for people to like I like to see people rebound. Sure, that's my thing, and I would love to see him rebound.
Speaker 1: He says he's not going to attend this this Heisman get together. Yeah, because Reggie Bush has not received his Heisman because he was banned or from How to give that heisman back because the rules back when he was the.
Speaker 2: Winner of the Heisman trophy.
Speaker 1: And you are of the opinion that I disagreed that they need to give him.
Speaker 2: That man is trophy. He earned that trophy, all right. He took some money. Now it's legal to take money, so now he breaks no rules in the new rule pair And I know how you feel, but all I'm saying is with talking about the heisman that he earned, he earned that give that man his trophy tell us how you feel. I just listened.
Speaker 1: First of all, I should have gone Vince Young.
Speaker 2: That's my personal opinion.
Speaker 1: But Reggie Bush, Reggie Bush was incredible when he played, There's no question about that. So when he got the heisman, he earned the heisman. But he broke the rules at the time. And now people are saying, well, yeah, he didn't see Look at things are different now, yes, different now, but back then those were the rules.
Speaker 2: He broke. The old man alert. It is old man alert, old man alert. You know, and listen.
Speaker 1: I did some calculations, you know, the defensive rules frenchmood in the NBA. They are so much more relaxed now. They allow for so much more offensive scoring. I ran some some metrics and now Michael Jordan's should have averaged forty four points a game.
Speaker 2: So let's give Michael Jordan forty four points. The rules are rules, don't do that. All I'm saying is, at the end of the day, I think people disagreed when it happened, and they showed disagree. Now get it, man, You know what you remind me of, Oh God, the o n Cuba, the faceless men like we never know them. You boys are gonna follow my rules or it's out. We're gonna see your jersey and give you nothing for it. You know what, We're gonna give you a scholarship, but I just made you twenty five million, and we're gonna give you free lunch. Right, that's who you are. Well, okay, let's win.
Speaker 1: Did the NFL start recording sacks like the late seventies? Yeah? Like that?
Speaker 2: Well, you know what. I've gone through the.
Speaker 1: Tape and there's a guy who played for the Chicago Cardinals, and I'll tell you one thing. Now, he gets the sack, but it wasn't counted back then. It's this is not personal to Reggie Bush. It's just I believe a slippery slope when you say, listen, now, things are different. Now that things are different, let's go back and change things from twenty thirty forty years ago, where the rules are completely different than they are now.
Speaker 2: Dirty old man alerty, dirty old well with the mustache might be.
Speaker 1: The views and opinion is expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.