Speaker 1: You know, normally we we wait to bring on the VIP guests, but I just have to jump right in. I am so taken by how ridiculously breathtaking you are in this episode.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie Donald. I texted her while I was watching it and said, you know, I don't mean to.
Speaker 3: Keep it classic, keep it, keep it class.
Speaker 1: Now. I'm not gonna get in trouble with Bill. I just want to say I am not to be superficial and just talk about looks. She's also a very very very funny woman. But holy crap, are you beautiful in this episode. And I can say that because you're being sexual and luring Johnny C into the bedroom, so I'm allowed to comment on that, Donald.
Speaker 3: But she's doing it in such a that's the way it's supposed to be. When your booty calling with your ex right comes over. She says, yo, let's do this, and you say yeah, let's do this, and then that's it. That's the rule them By the way, Christa, I used to say that all the time to Casey when I would have her come over at like, you know, ten thirty at night. Them's the rules of the booty call baby. I used to say that shit to her all the time. Really, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Christ I love how in control Jordan is. She just and I think it's a good I mean not that we were the first show to ever do this, but I think it was a good message for women. It was kind of like, hey, you can be if you want sex, like, no shame, go get yours, Go be in charge of the booty call.
Speaker 4: Go get yours, make it happen, Make make it happen for yourself. I always tell my friends this on a different note, you know, know how to make it happen for yourself and follow through.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do w at you taking shit off anyone?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And Jordan was like, you know, I don't want to hear you talk, like, just shut up, take your fucking clothes off.
Speaker 3: First of all, how are you sorry?
Speaker 1: How I got excited? I was just watching an episode. I got excited.
Speaker 4: I miss you And it was so sweet to hear from you guys for my birthday.
Speaker 2: So I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, no doubt. How's your corn going?
Speaker 2: You know it's my wet dream to be quarantined.
Speaker 1: There's people like Chris, I know, I'm sure if you're listening, you know who, Like, wait, you're telling me I don't have to leave the house, and no one will give me a ship.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it's it's not as easy for your friend Bill Lawrence, who wants to be around people all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Does he tell you that I put him downstairs?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Tell us about that. He told us that. You said, that's your office. What's that story?
Speaker 4: Well, I anticipated that quarantine would be a disaster for our marriage and we would ultimately end up divorced if there weren't certain rules followed. And because Bill left his own devices would follow me around the house all day, want to see what I'm doing, you know, feign interest in things he wasn't interested in. And so I put him. I put him desk in our downstairs guest bedroom.
Speaker 5: I said, it all up. Make sure there's a big TV in there.
Speaker 4: I set it up as a little piedater like one might have a little studio apartment in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he is. He can come out for lunch.
Speaker 1: By the way, he's so By the way, Bill is so afraid of Christa. This is a funny thing that Donald and I have witnessed, Like when we did this show for nine years. Bill was the boss and he was the big brother, and he could be scary at times. And then the second he was around Christa, it automatically switched and he was like yes, Crystal, yes Chris. And Bill was like, this isn't a joke. Bill's like, no, no, I have to go to the office. I'm like, what do you mean, we're in quarantine. He's like no, no, Krista made in office for me and I have to go.
Speaker 3: It's very much It's very much like uh, Cox and Jordan. I've never seen Cox slump his shoulders like that, like like he does at the end of the episode.
Speaker 5: Sad.
Speaker 3: I know, yeh Sadody right, You've never see that in the show. But here comes Jordan and he's like uh. And Bill walks around and his chest is all out, and Krista comes around and he sinks down like okay, you got it. He submits.
Speaker 1: I think that's very healthy for your relationship. I'm sure you do too, Christa. But like a guy, I mean talk about that because I think a guy like Bill, and I know other men and probably women and vice versa like this. When they're at work, they're kind of the boss. They're the alpha, and they come home and they need the ying yang of someone be like, no, you're not the fucking boss anymore. Okay, there's your room, go to your room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't.
Speaker 4: I don't work for you, but I will say this at work because I think Bill is so talented at his job, and he takes on jokes and how they should be on is so spun on. He also has the quality, as you guys know, is that if you say I want to try it this way.
Speaker 2: He'll say try it.
Speaker 4: If your ways better, He'll say, you're right, your ways better. So I have a lot of trusted him so work, actually I was quite You guys didn't notice it, but that for me was deferential to Bill.
Speaker 1: What you why I saw it When you switched to work mode, you were always like, hey, can I try it this way? Or you know you you you totally switch. But I just love because I'm so close with you guys, and I spent so much time with you at your home. It's it was always fun for you. I mean now we're all best friends, but back in the day when I didn't know you as well, it was always so much fun for me to see Bill under Christ's thumb.
Speaker 2: Wait, Zach has witnessed you.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you want to talk about now the stop hug to Donald's.
Speaker 1: Bill is so pussy whipped. If I can say that, christ I hope it's not too jarring. Well they go on to Howard Stern all the time, these two, and you can say, so everything is going to be tame compared to what these two talk about on Howard sterned together. But I Bill is so pussy wiped. But Christy, you tell the story. But I feel it's so adorable and my heart goes out for him.
Speaker 4: But no, but you, you were on my side by the end of the summer.
Speaker 1: No, I never was. I love you, but I felt the guy just the guy, just the guy just wants to hug his wife. The poor guy just wants to hug his wife.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll have Donald, so Donald.
Speaker 4: What happens is, I am I'm the way to be doing something. I'm I'm working, I'm organizing, I'm writing, and Bill and or I'll have my hands full of things.
Speaker 5: And Bill goes stop hug and he and he needs to stop hug.
Speaker 4: And I I would say to Zach, decent, it's you're not explaining it.
Speaker 1: Stop hugging. Stop hugmant that she would have to put her things down, no matter what was happening and give him a long, tight embrace. And Christa, we were staying in on Long Island together and Chris's like, no, what the fuck are you talking about. We're not stop hugging right now.
Speaker 4: I'd be we'd be out of the boat and I'm I'm, you know, tying up the boat or trying to get the anchor up, and Bill be like, stop hug no, no.
Speaker 1: It's so fun for Donald and I because I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it didn't hurt us. Do you know how long it took for him to hug us.
Speaker 1: He couldn't even hug us. We had to Now he's a hugger. We took it. Took a decade, but we turned him into a mail on mail hugger. But in the beginning, he'd be like, high five, we're huggers.
Speaker 6: Hit you.
Speaker 3: He would tap you on the should hey buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey buddy.
Speaker 4: No, he would he will say, now I'm not speaking out of school, that he would like to have an adult baby beorn for me.
Speaker 2: To climb into, wear me around the house. Dured quarantine.
Speaker 5: That's why I had to get him the office.
Speaker 3: But by the way, I have to say, that sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: There are so many husbands and wives. How long have you been married?
Speaker 2: Twenty years?
Speaker 1: There are so many husbands and wives who are so over each other sadly after twenty years. And Bill is so incredibly in love with you. I mean it has not turned down one cell from the day you met. And I think that's so sweet. So my heart always goes out to him sometimes when you're like, Bill, go to your fucking office. No, stop hugs, right, Zach, you have to watch for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I love him so much. He gets plenty of sex, he gets plenty of cuddles. Enough's enough. I mean you feel sorry for someone who gets a lot of things.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, listen.
Speaker 1: I forgot this thing. By the way, I was about to.
Speaker 3: Say, I was about to say, that's a great way to start the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bill gets Bill Lawrence gets plenty of sex. Everybody, I'm not show. We made about a bunch of said he's the stories, so Christa, we got to go back to the beginning. And now that we've sung ourselves Donald no Donald, I'm gonna lead.
Speaker 3: I was, okay, go ahead, man, I.
Speaker 1: Know you're excited.
Speaker 3: I turned.
Speaker 1: I was told to turn the game down on my mic. I was so excited by Dan. Dan had an intervention and said, turn down your mic. You're too giddy. Christa, tell us, we're gonna go way back to the beginning. Whenever we have our co stars on, we like to start the beginning. Even before you met Bill, you were in New York. You grew up in Manhattan, and tell us about being going from modeling to acting. Like that section of your life where it was working as a model and then into Drew Carey Well.
Speaker 4: I always I went to acting class at night. In high school, I went to American Academy of Dramatic Arts and then the neighborhood playoffs, and I would ride my bike. I had a tend speed bike in New York. I would go to school and then I would play in some varsity sport that I was in, like basketball or volleyball, and then I would ride my bike down to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and take acting classes. I always wanted to be an actor, and modeling was just a way to make money. And I originally came out here because I got an audition for A League of their Own when David Ansbrod was first directing it. And when he was doing it, you had to pass, and they knew I was. You had to be a real baseball player, So you had to go down with one of the head coach for one of the baseball teams for like this three hour baseball audition before you were even allowed to read. And so I did that. I got the part. David Outspot ultimately got fired from the movie and Penny Marshall took over and I ended up dating him, but staying out here and starting with, you know, doing acting, and what happens is I got an episode of The Fresh Prince of bel Air.
Speaker 1: That was your first job.
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't my first job, but I it was one of the first few ones.
Speaker 2: And it was so fun.
Speaker 4: Will Smith would he did this first of all, there's loud music playing anytime they cut, loud music playing on stage.
Speaker 2: He was so lovely and he.
Speaker 4: Would do these speed throughs with everybody and just it was such a fun thing. And I thought, why am I doing this drama? Painful memories of childhood? I don't want to do it, and that was what got me started to want to do comedy.
Speaker 1: Well, and also, you're funny, and I think that one thing that Hollywood really embraces. You know, there's there's there's plenty of pretty people, but a pretty person who can be hilarious like you can be. It was no doubt that you were gonna have a big career.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna say, I was gonna I was gonna say later on in the conversation, but I think I want to say it now. We uh, like, we we watched this bat we watched this show back, and it's been such a long time since we've seen the show that we tend to forget a lot of things. And one thing that I forgot was how funny you are. Christa, Like every one of your jokes lands every time, and the sarcasm and the sass, it all shines through. And so when I'm watching these episodes, I'm like, in my mind, I'm like, of course they get back together. They mirror each other so well, you know what I mean. And you know John C's characters put into the show to be you know, this sarcastic mentor for JD. It's only right that he has a sarcastic wife, you know, or ex wife or love interest on the show. And so when when watching this, it's like it's like you guys are playing tennis, you know what I mean, and he's hitting it to you and you're spiking it back, and he's like, oh shit, let me spike it back, you know what I mean. It's so great to watch.
Speaker 1: It's a lot like the banter of Bill and Christa. I mean, they they do that sparring back and forth and the sarcasm back and forth and can be quite biting. I once said to them, did you guys meet it mean? Camp?
Speaker 2: Donald, that's so sweet of you to say thank you.
Speaker 4: You know, when I watch my boys have been watching, going through and watching Scrubs, all the episodes. Anytime I go in the kitchen, I'll watch and I think, see how good you guys are, and you see how like every show show you guys get more and more in the groove better and and and Donald, your physical comedy is.
Speaker 2: So strong and you allow it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I think it was maybe because it was in a hospital and everyone was there together. It was like this very safe place to like kind of bring your a game, right. That's what I felt on that show. You would step in and also that you would want to be friends with everybody, you know, from the crew to the cat to everyone that was there. But you just step in and you're in a safe place to do that.
Speaker 1: You know that the show would not have worked at all if there wasn't this environment of there's no wrong answer, right. You know, actors can were so neurotic. You can get in your head and go, oh, I'm not making anyone laugh, or I don't want to do that because it's if it's they don't laugh, I feel stupid. Bill and the crew and everyone and us. We created this environment where like go nuts, like there there is no wrong answer, like if you if you go too far, don't worry. We'll choose a take that that's that isn't as broad, but like it gave all of us the freedom to just fucking go for.
Speaker 3: It right well and doing and doing this rewatch right now. It's really what's really fun to watch is how when we first started, how tight we all were, you know what I mean, we were all so tight, and now we're starting, we're what is this episode one?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 3: Uh seventeen eighteen, eighteen one eighteen. We're all starting to really loosen up now, you know what I mean, And everybody's starting to spread out and you can feel that the nervous energy is gone and we're starting to play on camera, and uh yeah, but well here's my point. My point was, when you came in, you were already there. You were all ready to play, already ready to play. And I think that has a lot to do with you doing Drew Carrey at the time, and being on television for what it was like seven years at this point, eight years at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, also because it's a live audience, so you're you're used to it.
Speaker 2: But I wasn't. I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I was tight because I wasn't used to the medium of single camera comedy, which is different, you know than doing a sitcom. But I remember Bill said to me, and it might have been on this episode, he said, you know, when it's not your coverage, And I don't know if you want to explain. You know, when the camera's not on you, you're doing broad, funny, crazy things, and I want you to do at least two of those takes when it's when the camera's on you right, and I was like, Oh, I am having a disconnect. I'm so much freer and looser when the cameras.
Speaker 1: Mean you're doing off camera, you're doing.
Speaker 2: GENI ship off camera. You might want to you might want to meld the two.
Speaker 1: So Donald Donald just brought just talk about Drew for a second, because it was a big chunk of your life. You're one of the you're one of the lucky actors in the in the world of Hollywood that can go from one successful show to another. We talked about how Neil Flynn did that. After Scrubs, he then went and starred on The Middle Forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eleven years or some shit like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what was the obviously just a reminding audience that don't know the difference. Sitcoms are filmed like a play. They're done in front of a live audience. That's why you hear the laughs. And you know, they set up four or five cameras and they and they shoot it like a play and they cut in between them, whereas when we shoot Scrubs there's no audience. We're shooting it like a movie with one angle at a time or two angles at a time. So talk a little bit about Drew Krista and what that experience was like, and again transitioning to scrubs from.
Speaker 4: That, you know, it was so unusual. I mean, you know this that you're not working and then you you're all of a sudden you're on a show.
Speaker 2: You know, it was just and doing twenty.
Speaker 4: Six episodes and you're on this big show. And I had so much fun. And it was also a great learning experience because it is it was so foreign to me that particular medium of doing it like that, because you realize, you know, when you're doing a sitcom, the audience and we've all done them, the audience becomes on show night, another character in the scene. And so it's really about listening and being able to change your jokes and not being married to a joke that you might have done funny in the table reader sometime during the week. It's really about listening and being organic, because if you're not, you're going to get stuck. It's just everything's going to be flat.
Speaker 1: They also give you such a high, though, don't they Like.
Speaker 4: You could never go to sleep, I would come home, I would take a bath, I would do you have to do everything talk about booty calls after night.
Speaker 3: So nice, what you're doing. What you're doing? Well, I just finished the show. I know what that means.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you can't go to sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember I did. I did the excess for three four years after Scrubs, and uh I remember. Show nights were the hardest nights to go to sleep. Every other night you could pass out, no problem, but you're just so high from doing the show and you know, and it's hard to come down when, especially when the show felt like it went good and like you said, the audience gives you all of this energy and you could be tired going into the show, but then after you're like, dude, where are we going? What are we doing?
Speaker 4: No, I have a good can I can mix Drew Carrey and Scrubs in a story.
Speaker 2: So Drew got.
Speaker 4: Into improv, yeah, which I think is the work of the devil.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 4: Don't like doing improv and I don't like watching improv. So Drew wanted to do these and Brian did improv and you know, blah blah blah. So he want to do these episodes live one year on Drew. That would be a live episode already, which would be nerve wracking.
Speaker 2: Because it's live.
Speaker 4: And then secondly have it be improv so while you were doing the show, they would press a button and then you would have to change the line.
Speaker 3: Oh god, okay, So I was I.
Speaker 1: Anxious hearing about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was like, fuck that noise, because I don't I'm not a writer. I don't want to do it. So this became the most fun thing ever that we would go. We would I would take my script into the Scrubs writer's room because it started when when we were at Scrubs and every line I had all the Scrubs writers and it would they would we would stop for the day.
Speaker 2: And they would write.
Speaker 5: They would write all the all jokes that were.
Speaker 4: Really funny, Like they're no better writers ever than this, that Scrubs writers, Right, so they're writing the funniest all jokes.
Speaker 2: But Drew didn't know.
Speaker 4: And so then on show night, and I remember this one particular night, all the Scrubs writers came and they were sitting with Bill and they're all excited because they know the button's going to be passed and I'm going to say one of their jokes that I've memorized.
Speaker 2: So it's not anything improv about it. You have to walk.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to send you that this one show because you'll die laughing. So I am doing it and Drew's getting so mad that he keeps pressing the button for.
Speaker 5: Me to do.
Speaker 2: But I have locked and loaded.
Speaker 4: I got so many locked and loaded that I had an applause break on my jokes and Drew a bit.
Speaker 2: He was so mad.
Speaker 4: He's like, but that's not really improv. I'm like, but I'm I don't do improv, so what difference is it make? And I sold it to you know how you can sell improv like your luck, like your Yeah you do the little ship?
Speaker 2: Oh look up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta sell it to the audience.
Speaker 3: What episode is this? Because maybe our listeners want to go My listeners.
Speaker 1: Are gonna want to check.
Speaker 2: I know I will. I have to find out.
Speaker 1: I'm sure if you google uh Drew Carey improvisational episodes, they'll find him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so did Drew know that? I mean he must have known that Bill was because Bill was a famous TV writer, So.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, well he knew when he saw all their And also, you know when writers hear their own jokes.
Speaker 5: They're hysterical, right, they go crazy right, So I had already sold it by looking up like on his coming.
Speaker 2: And then then then it would be this huge.
Speaker 4: Laugh, which I would have never gotten because I'm not that funny on my feet live.
Speaker 3: I'm here to tell you, well, okay, I've seen you live before and you're wonderful.
Speaker 2: Donald. I love you, thank you.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they were all hysterical, like just more hysterical than normal people.
Speaker 2: So Drew just knew.
Speaker 4: He just knew it was all the Scrubs writers, and I had memorized one hundred jokes.
Speaker 1: Drew looks up and he's like, why is the entire Scrubs writers right here at an improv at an improv d being of Drew carry I've never really I've done a guest on on Donald's Diit com and i've and we did our Scrubs one, but I've never really had a role on one. And what I always love is going and standing next to people like Bill because when a joke for those of you who don't know, when a joke doesn't work or it doesn't get a big laugh, then all the writers sort of huddle up on a non on a traditional one, not on an improblem, like like Chris is talking about and then they kind of come up with a better or an all joke. And I've had times where it's so much fun. Hre, I'll whisper and Bill's ear like a joke pitch, and then some actor I've never met before says the line, gets a huge laugh, and I'm just like celebrated, like, well, that was more fun than anything I've ever done.
Speaker 4: But didn't you used to do that a lot sack come into Undatable and be Bill. It was always as you said, I'm wanting Zach to come down.
Speaker 1: I did it on un Datable, I did it on some of his other ones, and I would come on show night just for that fun, because I love pitching jokes and when yours gets on and it gets a laugh, and especially when I've never even met the person saying it and they get it and they kill I'm like, that sounds good. It's like broadcast news. Remember when he when Albert Brooks calls Holly Hunter and he says, I say it here, it comes out there And it was just like whispering into Bill's ear. And then all of a sudden, some random not random, but an actor on the show I'd never met says it it was a good feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well when you came on to Ex's I remember that happened too, Like they had a whole different idea for what they wanted you to do, and you were like, no, you know, guys, don't you think it would be funny if I came in and I just wanted to fuck base.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, funny episode.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I try and Alwa's balanced. I don't want to be the guy who's like trying to write too many of my jokes. But if there's if they give me a little bit of rope, I'm like, all right, well, I'm gonna change the character now my character wants that sex.
Speaker 3: With that guy that was I remember. I remember being like, holy cow, dude, we're actually gonna make an entire episode about how Zach Braff's character wants to bang David Allen Bash. And it all came from you going up to the creator of that show saying, dude, yeah, that's funny, but wouldn't it be funnier if I tried to fuck this dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be way funnier if I was trying to bang one of the leads of the show. It was great. It's a good episode.
Speaker 3: Great guys to.
Speaker 1: Check that out. Check out me guest starring on the Xes with the legendary Donald Faison. So wait, Chris to talk a little bit. We're gonna get into the show, but we just have I feel like we could do an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: We could do an hour just on asking questions. Right, thank you.
Speaker 1: I want to know about you meeting Bill Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Well, I wanted to know that too.
Speaker 1: How but I want to know how. I mean, I've heard versions of this.
Speaker 3: But I want to he I've never heard this before.
Speaker 1: Listen. The guy was a swinging bachelor in Manhattan. He had a hit show, Spin City. They didn't shoot a lot of shows in New York at the time, and so Bill was a big deal and he was feeling himself. I think he had leech blonde hair for a while. And I want to know how is his game? How did he hit on you? How did he land a beautiful, talented woman like you?
Speaker 2: Well? Do you want to hear?
Speaker 4: The weirdest thing is that you know Bill was married before. Yeah, and his ex wife had one line on Drew Carey as a bartender when we first started the show, and I remember that she had the most beautiful engagement ring on and then one day this very handsome man came to visit her and I was like, I couldn't understand.
Speaker 2: It that she had this handsome husband.
Speaker 4: And I was just like full career, you know, I was so far away from I was only booty calls. I was just like on the career thing anyway. And that was Bill and that was his ex wife. But I didn't know it then. So I went to New York. You know they do the upfront to New York where they announced all the shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've told that's what we've told, the famous story of Donald nugging Jeff Zucker to the people.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: So I went to go the upfronts and I was dating someone at the time who had some beef with ABC, an actor, but he flew with me to the upfronts and then he didn't want to Oh, and then I happened to go on Howard Stern with Drew carry and they made fun of this actor on Howard Stern And at that time with Howard Stern, they had the it was on E so you were also on camera. And what they did is put up a picture of this actor that I was doing ugh.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel bad for the guy. That's horrible.
Speaker 4: But also I was now I'm on Howard, Who's Howard supersedes everybody. So I was laughing, right, and they broke the picture and then they cut to me and Drew is laughing so hard that he's pounding. He has what he laughs really hard to gets the high pitch laugh, which is so contagious. He's pounding the desk and I'm laughing. I came home and this particular actor was nowhere to be found.
Speaker 3: He was on the plane back to lame.
Speaker 1: But I mean, in his defense, your your girlfriends on Howard Stern and they're all making fun of you. Rell.
Speaker 4: He had made a bad choice, but in career but anyway, so he declined that night to come with me to the ABC party.
Speaker 1: I'm not and that's not going, and that's going, and that decision changed the course of his life and your life forever.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So, and I remember it was pouring rain.
Speaker 4: I was like, and they started late and Jamie Tarsis was throwing it. My friend Jamie Tarsis because she was the press of ABC at the time, and I had to go down to this party at the Merciall Hotel by myself.
Speaker 1: And which is horrible mistake on this boy friends hard don't leave your beautiful girlfriend to go to a fancy party alone because you're pouding. I mean, that's a recipe for.
Speaker 5: Disaster, recipe for disasters.
Speaker 1: This is like a Catherine Heigel movie plot. I mean, I've seen this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I walk in. It gets better.
Speaker 4: And this actor's friend was friends with Alan Ruck. I knew Alan Ruck because of this actor boyfriend that I had. And Alan Ruck stood up and said, Krista, Hi, come meet everybody on my show.
Speaker 1: So Alan Ruck was one of the stars of Spin City. Yes, he was also Cameron from Faris Bueler's Day.
Speaker 4: Off Right, a very funny actor, lovely man. So I walked over to the their section Spin City section and Bill Lawrence stood up in a really cute suit right away and said, Hi, nice to meet you. And my first thing is I was like, what am I doing with this stupid actor when there's people like this in the world.
Speaker 2: There's guys like this that are so cute.
Speaker 1: And did he ask for a stop hug? Did he ask for a stop hug?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: But so I ended up I think just hanging with them the whole time. And then Bill said, I just bought this loft. Do you want to go see it? Now, I had grown up in New York, and I was like.
Speaker 1: By the way, there's no more power move in the world. Then do you want to come see this loft?
Speaker 2: I just bought a new loft. Do you want to see it?
Speaker 4: And I of course was like a loft, sure, Like I had never seen one.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 5: What's that a loft?
Speaker 2: But this is where it went bad a little.
Speaker 4: So we to his go to his apartment and there was a girl that came over. It was like six of us, and I said to her, I didn't unbeknownst to me, she had a crush on him.
Speaker 2: And I said to her, who's this Bill Lawrence.
Speaker 4: He's pretty cute and she said, oh, he's a player.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And so and then when we went up because we.
Speaker 4: Went up to his apartment and because it was the Upfronts, he had had a party in his loft the night before, so there was like cigarettes and it was just he had a whole party, was boot And I thought, oh, oh, he's just a player. He's trying to get on you know, forget it. And when I was leaving, Bill said, can I get your number?
Speaker 2: Can I call you? And I was like, if you can find me, you can call me, which he did.
Speaker 4: And that was in May, and then we didn't start dating until because he was in New York and I was in la We spoke on the phone, and then Thanksgiving, I was back in New York and I was walking by his apartment and I thought, I wonder how that cute Bill Lawrence is And I called him and he didn't call me back, but he called me back two days later, and he was in Jamaica, but I didn't know this, and he called me back and said you better be single, and I said I am, and he said, okay, I'm going to fly out on Saturday and take you to dinner.
Speaker 1: Wow, Laurence Donald and I never got to wit. And we love this guy. He's so important to us, and we never got to see the legendary single version of him. We've heard tales, but what a what a good technique. I'm gonna fly out to take you on a date Donald, right.
Speaker 3: That listen, Man, if I had the bucks, that's exactly what I would do too.
Speaker 1: On that note, we're gonna go to a quick commercial break. We'll be right back with Christa Miller. Should we get into the episode, you guys.
Speaker 3: I think we should at some point. I you know, I would, I wouldn't. I mean, I could literally.
Speaker 1: Do a full show just on Krista Miller.
Speaker 2: But I love you guys are making my year.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're a great guest.
Speaker 3: And so you have a lot of things that we wanted to talk about. One, yeah, because you have are the creator of the show that we both became very famous. Ones you have his heart. We love to hear insight about him and how you guys met and everything like that, and so forgive us.
Speaker 1: Especially things that are mildly embarrassing, like stop, yeah, like wait, but is.
Speaker 4: The funniest should we have you told this story yet? On this that how Bill used to say to you guys. Christ didn't like.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I haven't told that story.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, not joke by Krista.
Speaker 1: And she was like, it's not the director first, you know, the director first does a cut of the episode, and then I would show it to Bill and I and I'd choose a let's say, a particular joke that maybe was improv or something and that I thought was hilarious, and and I'd put in my cut and Bill be like And then I'd see Bill's cut, and as the director, I'd be like, oh, why did you take out that moment? That was so funny? Why did you do that? And he go, what are you talking about? No one understands that joke, And I'd be like, really, I mean we were all cracking up in the edit room, and he'd go, yeah, I showed it to Christa and she was like, what the hell.
Speaker 2: Don't understand it.
Speaker 1: Then I'd see Christa and I'd be like, Christy, you didn't think that joke is funny? And she'd be like, Zach, do you really think that I'm watching rough cuts?
Speaker 2: In what world?
Speaker 1: He was such a fucking liar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he would do that also with the music too, Like I remember him telling you came up to you one time and said this song would work perfectly here. Why can't you let me do this one song here perfectly? I was like, I don't even know what you're talking about. Yeah, I don't even know you.
Speaker 1: You have no idea. How often, I'm sure, not just with me, but with all the entire staff, How often you were used as bad cop. Yeah, Chris, you know, I just showed it to Krista and she just didn't like it, and she didn't get it, or she didn't like it. She didn't get it. She she hated it.
Speaker 3: And then everybody would drop it right then and there, and it'd be like, oh, okay, all.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, well how can you you know Chris didn't like it? He did that. He did that all the time. Another funny Bill thing the technique that I've since stolen a couple of one for you aspiring directors out there. It's considered bad form for a director to tell an actor how to say a line. It's called giving them a line reading. And and you're supposed to use your skills and your communication and your articulation to get to steer them to say the line the way you want to say it. But sometimes they're just not doing it the way you envisioned or the writer envisioned. And this can be frustrating. And Bill had a way around it where he would go, he'd go, you know, he would say, let's say a guest star all makeup named Tim. He'd go, Tim, you know, at the table read you did it so funny. You have me laughing so hard. You did it just like this. You were like, we got to get out of here and whatever. And the guy, the actor would be like, I did that? Is that is funny? I did it like that. He'd be like, yeah, that's what you did at the table reading was hilarious and the actor's ego is all glowing and like, Okay, I'll do it just like that, And the actor had never done it like that. Bill totally made that ship up right, Christa, Oh, he does it.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 4: But I also love that that we all got because when we and wheneveryone started on Scrubs, you'd be like, I don't you can't get be line readings.
Speaker 2: That's not what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 4: And then by season three everyone's like, Bill, just tell me how.
Speaker 3: You want to How do you want me to say it? Dude, I'll tell you yeah.
Speaker 1: I love it. As the director, I love it when people do that because you're like, you're just trying to be so tactful, and if someone's just like, just tell me you want to say, like, oh my god, another trick tick Bill would do in the same vein would go he got in his head that if you didn't say words, it wasn't technically giving a line reading. So if it was like if the line was like we gotta get out of here and he wanted it like that, he'd be like, you know, could you do it? Like yeah, We're like, well, you're just giving a line reading with noise is now?
Speaker 2: You know? Like that? I remember also Bill gets so mad.
Speaker 4: Well, he got the most man over the first time that Zach directed. It was the first time Zach directed, and I came home like the third day and I said, Bill, Oh my god. With Zach directing, it's like being on a movie set. Yeah, he's so good, and it's training as a as a you know, as an actor and direct His direction is so incredible.
Speaker 2: It's so amazing.
Speaker 4: And he's like, really is it is it like being on a movie set when Jack is there.
Speaker 1: You have to understand that Bill and I my relationship was so big brother little brother. And whenever Christa I mean, I mean the compliments were genuine, I think and thank you. But whenever Christa would compliment me in front of Bill, I would be like, oh god, this is it was just like JD and Cox. I'd be like, oh, God, this is not going to be good for me. You really, you really need to stop complimenting me. It's in front of him, please, because something was gonna happened to me.
Speaker 4: You know. It's funny though, I will say this, because Bill showed me everyone's audition tapes for Scrubs, and with every single one of you, I was like, oh, well that's the person. That's the person that has to do it. And I remember the whole Bill's the rest of the time was finessing and that's what he's so good at to make sure that he got to pick. And there was a whole math equation of how to do it, of like I'm going to bring in these other two people, you know, because I really want Donald or Zach or with everyone and it was but you.
Speaker 1: Guys, well, if you don't know getting your choice, even if you're the showrunner of the show through to a network, there's a strategy to it. You can't just go in and say I want Donald Faison and Zach braf thanks, guys, because and Bill is very good at that. He's like, well, if I want Zach and Donald, I have to say this. I have to act like this. I can't be too excited about you know, it's a whole Yeah, there's a whole strategy to it. I've experienced it and as a director and not gotten the person I thought was clearly the best. But then you've got to go shoot the pilot, and you're shooting the pilot with someone you think is good and talented, but not necessarily as good as the other person. And it's you know, you only you don't always get who you want, you know. And and Bill was a really skill that at knowing the strategy, like, oh, if I I'm gonna get you know, he gave us a couple extra jokes, and he would, you know, when we came in the room. You know, it's so intimidating. He would make all these jokes to make everyone already start laughing. So by the time he's like a warm up comic. By the time time for your audition, they're already giggling. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But it's also interesting because sometimes on a pilot, I remember with scrubs, sometimes in a pilot you'd go on this part, I'll give in, I'll let them choose, or you give in on that so you can have the other people that you like and on Scrubs. Bill wasn't willing to budge on anyone, you know, he really knew who he wanted, and so he had to do that with all of you guys. But it is It is also a good lesson in casting or if you're up for a role. You guys right at the beginning, because I saw the producer sessions, you know, so I wasn't even watching to the network tests, which where you guys were really on a roll by then. It was so clear that all of you should have those parts, you know, and it's.
Speaker 3: Just wanted it. So I remember wanting it so bad. I wanted it so bad. It was like, and I've said the story before. I went up against my friends that day and some friends of mine, and I remember I remember being like, they don't want it as bad as I do, Dude, nobody wants it as bad.
Speaker 2: So what was your story? Have you talked about?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 5: Did you?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we talked about. We've told it before.
Speaker 6: But so what happened?
Speaker 2: You read the script? Can you tell me quickly?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I hadn't read the script. I just auditioned for. It's me. I just had auditioned for. I remember auditioning for Bill and Danny Rose. That's what I really for some reason, Danny Rose was in the room. Yeah, and I remember Bill laughing at everything, and so my confidence was through the roof. And he was like, all right, let's meet again.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: My agents were like, you got a call back for it, and I went in the callback and it was Bill once again, and he was like, so, I'm gonna bring you in front of the network and everything. You're going to test for this, but I just wanted to rehearse this with you, so you had so you were ready to go when we go into the audition. And I did, and we rehearsed it and I went in on the audition and I blew the audition and never in my life has anybody ever come up to me, like within the half hour that were all there testing after everybody went in, I never had anyone come up to me. After he called me out in front of everybody, like Donald, come on, come here, let me talk to you. And I remember all of them making faces like, oh shit, I guess he got the part. But I was thinking, thinking, oh shit, I'm the first one going home. And he takes me into the hallway and he says, uh, you blew the audition.
Speaker 1: You know you fucked up the audition, right, you do know you fucked up right?
Speaker 3: Right? It was it was sincerely, it was clearly. It was just like Bill Duke in Minister Society when he's talking to a dude at the police station. See, now you know you're note fucked up now, right, And I said, I said I did, And he said, yeah, you know, you were very big and very you know, I needed to come in there and do it like you've been doing it before. All of the stuff that you talked about, Zach, you know you did it at the table read you know you did it at the rehearsal this way. Yeah, you know what I mean, everything that you guys just talked.
Speaker 1: About, but you actually had in this instance, he had he had made you progress so far because you were doing what he loved. And when Bill told this story, he said, you know, he gave you some bit of direction and you were nervous and it made you go just to volume eleven and he was like, bro, bro, bring it down, bring it down there.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you know when somebody says, make sure you're talking to the back of the room when you're doing your stuff, don't tell me that. Don't tell me that, man.
Speaker 1: Johnny Donny had a similar tale.
Speaker 4: Wait wait so with Donald, So then you went in and did you kill it?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I killed it, but I definitely got the part. I'll tell you that. Like I know that Bill, whatever they were thinking about me, Bill convinced them that I was the right person for the part, you know what I mean. And I know that because after the audition, you know, the call came in and I got it. But I remember leaving and not necessarily feeling like I got the part, even though they sent everybody home and Sarah and I and this other dude were there, uh you know we you know, Sarah said something like, well, I guess we all got the I guess we got the part. In my heart, I was like, I didn't get the part, dude, I kind of fucked up. And he told me I fucked up, you know what I mean. And then when I got when my agent called and told me that I got the part, that's when I was like, oh shit, he somehow made this happen. Like if he wants it to happen for you, he's going to make it happen. And he's done it several times before. You know, there's times where you know, I've I've done pilots with Bill, like I was. I did the pilot for Undtable, you know what I mean. He was like, Donald, come in, there's a role. I want you to do it. The network doesn't NBC doesn't know that you're coming in. You come in and you just read with Crystalia and I was like, all right, Bet and I did it. They were like, we can't have Donald Faison, who was just on your last show in your next show. Dude, that's impossible. We can't do that. But you know, it was great to see him. And then you know, he did another pilot call spaced Out, and at the time I wasn't working, and he was like, Donald, I got a role for you, then why don't you come in, you know, play this role on spaced Out. So like when he and I didn't have to test. I didn't have to do anything for that one. And this was this was one of the stars of the show. And so when Bill wants it to happen, if he if he wants you to be in something, he's going to do everything that he can to get you into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get you into a series. I think it's safe to say that he's a big fan of Donald Faison.
Speaker 3: I agree. I agree.
Speaker 2: He loves all you guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think all you guys are going to be having to work with Bill for the rest of your lives.
Speaker 1: Well, I love it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I went and directed his new show that he's doing with Jason Sedakis when I was in London, and I had an amazing time with working with him. I missed it. We fell back into this groove of just sitting next to the monitors and pitching jokes and coming up with cool stuff. And I really, I really love collaborating with him so much.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get into that episode.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: But now you took us down in nostalgia Lane and I'm feeling all like like like my heart is.
Speaker 3: We've been talking for forty nine minutes, and we know that we.
Speaker 1: Have a legendary Christa Miller. Bro chill up.
Speaker 3: Like I said, we could talk for days about a lot of.
Speaker 1: People on my Instagram, right, Zach stops saying that we that you're going too long. We love it, and that's that's fine. I just there might be other people who are like bro, my run is an hour and a half. Keep it to an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Somebody, you know, somebody told me that I told you this, that they didn't like me doing an Oprah voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I told you that. To me, that's like someone saying they don't like you know, Caddie Shack, Like, shut the fuck up.
Speaker 2: It's Jesus, thank you, We've.
Speaker 1: Got I was hoping Krystal would get her her Oprah voice. All right, all right, so we start the episode with, uh, now A JD and Elliot are friends again. That was a pretty quick bout of a couple not talking to each other, right, they're just back into like being BFFs again.
Speaker 3: Well, I think after what happened in the episode where your teacher died, things changed. We're two episodes at and after that, aren't we.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I was just I had this first reaction after introducing the hat number one hey number two guy, that like, wow, we're just bantering like we're all buddies. There's no there's no awkward, awkward blood between us.
Speaker 3: Now. I remember the number one hat number two guy. Do you remember his name? Because we hung out with that guy after work one night, just just you, me and him.
Speaker 1: I looked it up. We did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember, I don't remember, and I remember that was the first I remember that was one of the first people that guest starred on the show that we hung out with.
Speaker 1: His name is I don't know. I hope I'm pronouncing it right. Eric sit s A I E. T. And he did a fantastic job, by the way, with a tricky part. I think you know it's It's can be very cringey if someone is playing a handicapped person and doing it in an awkward or disrespectful way. I remember thinking at the time, this is tricky. You want to do justice to someone who's mentally handicapped. But also this guy has jokes and uh. And I remember thinking, even at the time and even watching it now, that he did a really really good job.
Speaker 3: Anythink, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you know what that story is from now?
Speaker 1: I do remember that it was some some real life story.
Speaker 2: Do you remember, Yeah, yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: So don't sit too far away from your mic, though, Darling.
Speaker 2: Sorry sorry.
Speaker 4: Bill was married before and his when he went to meet his.
Speaker 2: New wife's family.
Speaker 4: His new wife had an older brother who had special needs, and his name was Bill and he was so bummed that Bill was coming in and that there were two bills.
Speaker 5: He didn't want to talk to Bill. It was the whole thing.
Speaker 4: And Bill said to him, how about you'll be Bill number one because you're the main, and I'll just be Bill number two. And Bill said, which was great. He thought he was the hero. Was fabulous.
Speaker 5: He goes.
Speaker 4: But then from then on, every eight seconds, Hey number one, and Bill would hey, Hey number two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eventually it's like.
Speaker 5: Number Hey number two. But it's so sweet.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you get but at the end when you make up with him, it's so sweet.
Speaker 1: When you go in, it's very sweet. And and and again I think he did a I would be I would want to do that part because I were, I would just be in my head that I wouldn't do a justice. And I thought that Eric. Eric did a great job at fifty eight seconds. A couple things. Not only is there another janitor which you've in the background, which.
Speaker 6: You very saw that.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 1: Not only that he's in a different color uniform he's tan, Yeah, it's tan. And did you notice that he's sweeping the air?
Speaker 3: I did not notice that.
Speaker 1: Eisode very often for those of you who don't know when background performers are doing their thing. They don't want them to make any noise, which can be tricky if you if you're if you're tasked with sweeping.
Speaker 3: Did you see this or did you get this from scrubs wiki?
Speaker 1: No, I got I got some other good stuff from scrubs wiki. But this, dude, if you stop, if everyone wants to appreciate this. At fifty eight seconds, this gentleman is sweeping the air. Maybe the air was dirty.
Speaker 3: But I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what was going on with that guy. He I don't know who put him in bait?
Speaker 6: Did you?
Speaker 1: We we're if we know one thing, we know that the janitorial staff. Where's Gray?
Speaker 3: Gray? I wonder how that happened. I wonder if they were like, we don't have we we don't have Neil today, and we need somebody in the background sweeping, Like whose idea was it? Because Neil's always dressed up as the janitor in the show, and.
Speaker 1: You never and you never ever saw I don't remember ever seeing janitorial staff in the background that weren't Neil.
Speaker 3: Do you No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Very interesting that's a scrub that's a Scrubs Wiki question.
Speaker 1: So Christa, we have a new thing now where you know, we do the ask Bill thing and Bill will audio tape him self answering the question. But now there's a guy who runs a Scrubs Wiki fan page that just knows every single little bit of Scrubs trivia, and he's down with us asking him random trivia questions when we don't know them.
Speaker 3: I wonder if we'll ever get to stump him.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're gonna stop him. That's gonna be one of our tasks.
Speaker 3: I wonder if we'll ye, we should.
Speaker 1: We should think of what the sound effect is going to be. There should be like a siren or a bell, some sort of prize noise if we stump Scrubs Wiki guy, how about then, look Judy gives it one thirteen when a guy calls her nurse. Fahda, Yeah, Judy's look is so fucking funny. She just does a slow turn like I I.
Speaker 3: Will fucking kill you.
Speaker 1: But you know, yeah, go ahead, go ahead, man who run there's a whole runner on this show. I'll kill you. By the way, this delay is not that bad. We were on the view for this podcast and the delay. I worry we fucked up because the delay was like a solid second and a half and it's very hard to be funny and talk with people when there's a serious delay. We have a slight one on the zoom thing. But but we Donald and I did our best. But we were on the view. Everyone's going, well, no, no, no, you go oh sorry, well right, but Donald's mom finally watched. She doesn't listen to the podcast, but she doesn't love it.
Speaker 3: She was like, your energy on the view, you guys, you guys interview very well. By the way, we.
Speaker 1: Finally got Donald's mom that we finally got surely to pay attention to us, and all we have to do is go on the view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: What I was gonna say is that there's this sub there's this plot of this episode, which I'm sure is a very real thing for medical professionals when what happens when your patient is a fucking dick and you still have to give them the same level of attention and affection and uh and and commitment and uh and JD and and Carla are both trying to take care of this guy. But he's racist and he's a jerk and uh and JD is really they're both challenged with how do we do our best with a guy who's saying shit like nurse Fahda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a tough one. You know. I hate racism, and I hate racists, and I hate bigots, and I hate you know, I hate all of that. Ship to watch something like this and to still have to, like it would suck to go to work and have somebody say things to me that made me, that made me so angry that I wanted to explode. And I imagine for people that work in the hospital, whose jobs where all it is, your job is to take care of the patient and save lives, and you get that one person who is just you know, who's like this guy is, how do you how do you commit to doing your best at that moment in time for that person.
Speaker 1: I'm sure sometimes you have to. I'm sure sometimes you have to bite your fist. My mom used to be a the the listen to this, the night nurse, the head night nurse on the mental health ward of a VA hospital in East Orange, New Jersey. Wow, and she had the most insane stories. Now, granted, these these these these men and women are are are very mentally ill, some of them, and and and it was always her job to not take it personally and to take it to you breath, and to give them the best care that she could. And my mom was an incredible, incredible nurse. But this story made me think of that that you can imagine some of the treatments she had to endure, and and and she had to always suck it up and let it just wash off her back. Right, But you're going to get.
Speaker 4: Extra good attention if you're lovely as a patient.
Speaker 3: I would imagine, Yes, absolutely you are.
Speaker 4: I mean my father was a surgeon, so I know, but I mean, you just are going to get that extra attention. Why people aren't savvy enough.
Speaker 1: My father was. When my father was dying, he was in the hospital and he used every technique. Guy. I mean, he he was the most you guys know he's he was the loveliest, most charming guy. But he was also the biggest Scrubs fan in the world. So anyone who came in, whether it was the janitor cleaning the garbage, can and be like, hey, my son, Zach Brath Scrubs, I must have signed a Scrubs headshot for every single person in the New Jersey healthcare system.
Speaker 4: Oh, Bill drops scrubs pretty much instantaneously, you know, on doing anything. You just had to get a root canal thing, he was talking about scrubs.
Speaker 3: I use it all the time, like I use it all. I use it all the time whenever we have like where we take our kids into you know, urgent care or something like that, or the kids. PETERA Trisian does a lot of golf tournaments and stuff like that for charity. And I'm always using my scrubs, uh, just to and and and playing golf obviously too.
Speaker 1: But I love it that you're like you started he started. He started out to make sure his kids got good healthcare, and then it became to play golf with fans golfers.
Speaker 3: Well there's that, there's that too, But for for sure, man, like, I just know, I just know that, you know, you, especially in that professional, treat somebody like you want to be treated. It's like the same thing when you go to a restaurant, right, what asshole sits there and says, you know what, I'm gonna treat this waiter like shit and doesn't expect their food to get fucking spit on or something.
Speaker 1: I was a waiter and I and I never understood the people that were assholes, because there are plenty of people that would fuck with your ship and do not.
Speaker 3: It's like, when I leave this area, I'm gonna go and tell all these people what a dick you are. So when watching this show and this guy saying all these things, I'm like, this dude wants to die. He must want to die or there's no way that you could be that insensitive. Go get me my fucking thing. Go do this for me. Shut the fuck up you. I don't understand how you do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nurse Fahida, I mean, come on, nurse, come on, you're gonna get punched. Yeah, listen. How about Kelly Williams as Kristin Murphy sucking on her finger in a in a manner similar to fillatio in order to lure Johnny c over to her house.
Speaker 4: But I was watching, I gotta say I don't like being I wouldn't want someone sucking their finger and then touching my face.
Speaker 3: Yuck.
Speaker 1: That didn't work. To turn you on, Crystal.
Speaker 2: To smell like spit, you can smell like it.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy is that. There's no way that was written. So I'm just trying to figure out how that came about, Like did Kelly, she must have improved that. There's no way it's said in the script. And then she sucks her pointer finger as a in a seductive manner and touches his nose. I really want to know how that came about.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Really resists that woman. She she comes on so strong.
Speaker 3: It says a lot of that's what she said, jokes and everything. It's like it's like a It's like a single man's wet dream right there, dude, right she's giving you all of this energy. And he wants to go lift a dresser with Carla.
Speaker 1: By the way, I had totally forgotten I know he's talking about this. I am totally forgotten how fucking obsessed he is with Carla, and this episode like brought it to a new level. He's got this beautiful woman sucking on her finger telling him that she's coming over, and and and and.
Speaker 3: She said, she said to him, she said to him, you're gonna be He said, he said, you gotta slow down, And she said to him, you're gonna be saying that tonight dude, dude, just.
Speaker 2: Pause for a second.
Speaker 4: Does any did anyone notice how adorable I look in this episode of Getting She doesn't, He doesn't.
Speaker 5: He doesn't care about Kelly Williams.
Speaker 1: I loves is Like, guys, yeah, guys, I don't want to I don't want to be say the obvious reason.
Speaker 6: Right right right.
Speaker 1: But Chris, now this is before you come into the picture.
Speaker 4: But he knows that there's a possibility that I'm coming over.
Speaker 3: You texted him earlier like what you're doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what you're doing?
Speaker 3: You get off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is finish car show, let's go what's so?
Speaker 1: But he so pee whipped that he's gonna help Judy Carla move a dresser and uh and in his Porsche by the way, which is not a very good card for moving a dresser. They're gonna strap it to the roof. Who would ever strap up dresser of the roof of their port.
Speaker 3: But somebody who's desperate for that for that Uh anyway.
Speaker 1: Go on, Yeah, all right, our guest is here. We're so behind. We we're three minutes in and our guest is here. So we're do a break and then we're gonna come back with more fun.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And we're gonna hear Chris to talk about how she seduces men, including Johnny mcley and Bill Lawrence. You're right back, We're bud there.
Speaker 3: What's that man? How you doing? How do you say your name?
Speaker 6: Oh? It's just Austin.
Speaker 3: It's awesome. It said something different on your screen five seconds ago.
Speaker 6: Dude. Yeah, that's that's because I usually use him to play D and D, so it's my dn D name.
Speaker 1: Oh is becoming a running theme on this podcast for Drag and Donald. You're not going to go off on some crazy long dice tanging.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, no, no, no no no no, all.
Speaker 1: Right, will Joell? Don't you steal Donald's Oprah voice? But introduce Austin to us.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, we've got Austin in the house.
Speaker 8: Big fan.
Speaker 5: Austin.
Speaker 7: You want to tell the guys a little bit about why you're a fan of Scrubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Sure, So I got into Scrubs when I was a kid. I'm only like twenty nine and I was only twenty nine.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're allowed to say twenty nine and only in the same set. I think only is sort of done at twenty. Yeah, I'm only forty five, and I'm just uh.
Speaker 6: Sorry, no, no, it's super chill. But my mom was a big fan of the show. My mom was into a bunch of the doctor shows. I just watched it all the time with my mom and I got really into it, kept watching it forever.
Speaker 3: That's well great, Wait, you got your headset on you a gamer?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 6: I am. I'm a gamer and I like stream and junk.
Speaker 3: So I got these like big, big big, they are big.
Speaker 1: And what do you play? What do you what do you stream and or play the most? Because Donald's a gamer and uh or e c us TV before we had some.
Speaker 3: Kids, so many kids deal with kids.
Speaker 1: But what do you play? Donald will probably know what it is.
Speaker 6: Uh the game? So I mean right now when I play the most of.
Speaker 1: The Okay, I don't know anything about animal crossing. Christy, your kids probably playing crossing.
Speaker 2: I don't know from video games.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what can you Donald? Do you know animal crossing?
Speaker 3: I have no idea?
Speaker 1: What often can you tell us what? What the basic idea of animal crossing is?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the basic gave of animal crossing is you're a human and you have a bunch of antipromofic animal friends, and you all live on this this game. It's an island. Sometimes it's a town. They tsk you the human of like making the town nice, and that's kind of it. You just you design this like town to look how you want, and you just like invite friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's like the Sims. But you can invite, can't You go visit people and really talk to strangers.
Speaker 6: You can if you want to. You can invite friends over. You can go to the other people's eyelands. It's it's really like it's a lot like the Sims, but like, if you wanted to let like a six year old play the Sims unsupervised, like animal crossing is a pretty safe bet. They can't get into too much like weirdness.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember when my sim died. I got really upset.
Speaker 6: You don't an animal crossing things?
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, you can kill your sim. I don't know if you guys have killed a Sim.
Speaker 3: I've never killed. I've never killed. Did they build the graveyard in the backyard. That's what the graveyards are for. That's what the graveyards are.
Speaker 1: Joel, you're smiling. Have you ever killed a sim?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Actually, instead of getting Animal Crossings. My brothers and I have been obsessively playing SIMS four and he built a basement that they could not get out of.
Speaker 1: The great sad I thought. I was I was shocked. I was like, you can kill a sim. Yeah, you can kill your sim. Don't walk him in the basement.
Speaker 3: Austin, where you where are you call it from? Man?
Speaker 6: I am in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Speaker 3: Oh, Michigan, in the house.
Speaker 1: Right on, Austin, Do you have a question for the legendary Donald Faison or Krista Miller or Zach or you can ask me to.
Speaker 6: I do have a question for Zach and Donald. I was just curious, like what y'all missed the most about not being on scripts anymore, Like not being on a project together. That's like in person filming all the time.
Speaker 1: This what you're hearing, Austin. It's the easiest question to answer, and it's this. It's like if you just you weren't on before, but just sitting around with Christa and Donald and cracking up, that's what we would do every day, and just so happened that we'd also be making a TV show, But we were just like it was our group of friends. Not just the cast, but the crew and the writers, and I don't know they'll ever be lucky enough to have a job where the assignment is to go and laugh your ass off all day. Yeah, we really I really missed that. It was like a natural drug. It was like an all natural drug that is gone from my life. I mean, just cracking up five days a week.
Speaker 3: And because because we get the opportunity to do this podcast, we get to relive it all again, you know what I mean, And it's really awesome. We were before you came on, Austin. We were talking to Christa about things that had nothing to do with the show, and we're just pretty much catching up. Even though I've talked to We talked to Christa like recently, we're still on you know, now that we have mics in our face, We're like, let's let's just let's talk some more. Let's talk about some the great times we had.
Speaker 1: So don't you miss that, Krista giggling.
Speaker 5: I could do this.
Speaker 4: Podcasts every day, you.
Speaker 5: Guys, I love you.
Speaker 1: Christ is the first guest in Fake Doctor's Real Friend's History that's been was booked.
Speaker 3: Twice before she even before once.
Speaker 1: She's gonna she and Bill Lawrence are going to be on the finale of season one together, and I predict mayhem. I hope that Bill last for a stop hug during the show.
Speaker 2: Oh he will.
Speaker 5: You know, you know what it was is that Scrubs.
Speaker 4: Also, I don't know if that I worked on a job before where we were truly friends, yes.
Speaker 5: And truly friends.
Speaker 4: You're all in this hospital and and you're not seeing any other people, so you're in it. You're doing this funny work, which you know when you're doing it is really funny, right, and and all the people around are funny. All the writers were talented, all the actors are talented, and you could go and be stupid if it didn't work out, that was fine because everyone was doing it.
Speaker 5: And I just felt like my.
Speaker 4: Work got so much better every time I would work on that show because everyone.
Speaker 5: Would elevate you.
Speaker 4: You know, there wasn't like the weak link that you didn't you know, want to be with, and it was it was such a special time.
Speaker 1: We would we would finish the show and then hang out on weekends, Like, when has that ever happened again? I don't know. I mean, maybe if you're on location somewhere with someone. But but yeah, it was, it was. It was just a it was just a once in a lifetime. I hope it's not a once in a lifetime experience. I hope I get to experience something especially again. But I just can't imagine that I'll ever have such a group as we did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were very lucky, awesome, and the.
Speaker 4: Tone was of like camaraderie and support if anyone did something, you know what it was.
Speaker 5: It wasn't the person there.
Speaker 4: That wanted to have all the jokes or was trying to steal focused or doing all Everyone was happy for everyone else to be funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you got a sense like this is this person's time to shine, like don't get in their way, let them, let them crush it. And we were like rooting each other on. Yeah, I got another question, my friend.
Speaker 6: I do have another question. This one's from my mom, because, like I said, you got me into the show. So when I found out, I had to give her a.
Speaker 1: Call because a mama's boy is Donald and I are.
Speaker 6: My mom just wanted to know what was everybody's favorite episode of film.
Speaker 1: Christa you want to go first? As our special.
Speaker 4: Guest, favorite episode I loved that scene that I tell everyone off and ruin everybody's life.
Speaker 1: And everybody's big monologue, just destroy everybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I tell her, but I also will say this the moment that I wish I could do overs. I don't feel like I took a good advantage of being able to have a proper makeout session with Zach Brath.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you know what I mean, Like, I just it just got really uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I just feel like.
Speaker 4: I didn't investigate that as thoroughly as I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, by the way she says this ship in front of Bill. Can you imagine, dear listeners, imagine how awkward it is when she says this ship in front of Bill and she She'll be We'll be standing there. It will be like a dinner, and she'll be like, you know, Bill, I just I wish I just didn't save her the time the making scenes.
Speaker 4: I didn't save her. I didn't say one more take. I didn't like get into it.
Speaker 3: I didn't, you know, I should have said one more take.
Speaker 1: And Bill's Bill, and Bill's just saying and just Bill's just standing there shaking his head, and I'm like, shut the fuck up.
Speaker 2: And I was like, Zach was a little nervous. Maybe we could revisit it now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you do?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I got it so awkward right now?
Speaker 1: Could you guys get off the zoom call for my Donald? Do you want to go? I know what my show is.
Speaker 3: My favorite episode to shoot was the musical episode. I really enjoyed that. There are a bunch of things that I got to do on this show that were bucket list type things like I wanted I've always wanted to be in a Star Wars and I got to do that very early on in this show. One of my favorite actors in the Whole Wide World is well, I should say characters in the Whole Wide World are characters that Harrison Ford has played, and Indiana Jones was one of them, and I got the opportunity to do that as well. But I really, most most of all, I enjoyed doing the musical episode and having to dance and sing. You know, I front Like I tell it. People ask me, are you a fan of musical theater? And I'll lie and I'll say to them, absolutely not. I hate musical theater.
Speaker 1: You don't show that anymore.
Speaker 3: I still say that to people I'll be like, why why I say that a lot?
Speaker 1: Yes, Donald, Donald get in his car without his kids and play Frozen.
Speaker 3: I will do I would do that, not only Frozen. I'll play like I'll play I play a miss in the car. I play five guys named Mo in the car like I go all in. But I really enjoyed dancing and singing and uh with with with these guys. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: My favorite episode is the one we've mentioned before. It was my first episode directing, and it was one of the most epic episodes we've ever shot because Bill wanted to give me something that was quite literally impossible to execute in five days. But I was living my dream. I was working on the show that I was so proud of and excited about. The episode was huge. It's the one where Donald and I go on a quest over the course of one night to find Heather Graham's character Molly to give her the permission slip from Sarah that says I'm allowed to have sex with her. And Johnny's storyline is that he has to go to a ride with in an ambulance as part of his training, and Molly Shannon was the guest star and I don't know. I just really it turned out really great. And as Donald's reminded me at some point, said, do you say it? I was treated by a kyo?
Speaker 3: Donald, I was treated by a kyo. Where you've been?
Speaker 1: I was treed by a coyote?
Speaker 3: No, I go, I go, I go, I go to you? How the hell did you get up there? I was treed by ayot.
Speaker 1: I love it when Donald does his woody Ellen. I was treated by I was treed. So that was a really great episode and I just felt really proud of it, and I pulled it off, and it was one of those things where it's one of my favorite episodes.
Speaker 3: We'll give you one more question if you haven't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that was just thank you.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't tell the guy he was going to have three?
Speaker 6: How are people stayingsane in this pandemic?
Speaker 3: You know, this is an escape for us, To be honest with you, if I didn't have this outlet, you know, my wife said to me actually this morning, she was like, you don't understand, man. You have an outlet. You get to talk to your best friend, and you get to talk to the people that you worked with for over ten you know, for ten years, you get to talk to them once or twice a week. I don't have an outlet like that. So she's going insane right now, you know what I mean. And she's with the kids while I'm doing this right now. But this is an escape for me, and I wish I could bring my wife up in here so she could enjoy this too, because she would have such a great time.
Speaker 1: She come on one day.
Speaker 3: I just realized she would love to come on.
Speaker 1: Hilarious and so funny.
Speaker 3: She would also embarrass the ship out of me too by talking about me, uh, talking about things that I want.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to do. We should one day, like if we keep doing this, we should do like the significant others guests.
Speaker 3: Go right right and how they dealt with.
Speaker 1: We'll test it out with Bill and Christa on the on the season one finale and see how it comes.
Speaker 3: But awesome. That's how I stay saying.
Speaker 1: Me too, me too. I'm the same way, man. I look so forward to this, and especially seeing the reaction to it and people loving it so much. It's just it's mind boggling to us. And so it is. It's like therapy. We come here and we laugh and giggle and act stupid and I'm really loving it. Rising. How are you staying scene over there?
Speaker 5: I've been writing with someone.
Speaker 2: I've been.
Speaker 4: You know, all my kids are here. It's you know, in la. We have a good setup. You know, we have croquet in the backyard. We play croquet every afternoon. We had a very rousing game of code names last night, which was very fun. You know, I'm happy just doing my thing.
Speaker 1: By the way, as we started the show, often you weren't here. But there are certain people that are so happy, you know that they don't that the world has given them permission to not have to leave their house. And christ is one of those. She's like, oh, no one, no one gets to tell me that I have to go do things. I'm fine, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm totally fine.
Speaker 3: What about you, Austin? How are you staying sane?
Speaker 6: You know a lot of video games, a lot of I picked up, like a bunch of extra tabletop gaming besides D and D since this all started.
Speaker 1: What's one you can recommend to our listeners? That's not too hard because I know some of these tabletop games are very complicated, like D and D. But if someone if someone who's listening including myself, wanted to kind of get into the world of tabletop gaming. What it is one or two that you recommend?
Speaker 6: Uh one I really commend is bubble Gum Shoe.
Speaker 1: I'm running that down.
Speaker 6: It is kids can't play it. You play as a teenage detective. Okay, so you're a team detective and the rules are pretty simple. The character sheet I have mine right here. It's like a single page. There's not a bunch of complex rules you have to remember a bunch of math you gotta do.
Speaker 1: So there's that one. What about another one, Bubble Gum Show. I wrote that down.
Speaker 6: Another one is uh no, thank you Evil.
Speaker 1: I believe it's Thank you Evil.
Speaker 6: Can my kids play that too? Your kids can't play that one too. It is an all ages tabletop RPG game that scales the rules depending on how old the kid is.
Speaker 1: So you should be writing this down because Donald could have like forty players at his house.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, you man, all right, there's not that many of us.
Speaker 1: Listen, Casey got pregnant, Like while we were on this podcast. What about Settlers of Katan? I hear about that. It feels like that's the most famous for us non board game people. That's the most famous one you hear about. Do you like that one?
Speaker 6: I don't like Settlers of Catan. Nothing against the artists who worked on it or the team who made.
Speaker 1: Sorry I started to interrupt, but both of our producers. Yeah, I want you to know that both of our producers sometimes have their cameras off. They both flipped their cameras on to show how fucking limits d come back, Dan, you gotta come back and walked away. Joel almost fell off her chair. Dan, I'm just a humble fan.
Speaker 6: I mean, I love Settlers.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine. I just want you to know you gave both of our producers a heart attack.
Speaker 6: I'm not a big fan of Settlers of Oh my god, against.
Speaker 1: I know now that the show Joelle just Joelle just left the room. She had to get off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not that big on Settlers.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, listen, I'm here to tell you. I'm here to tell you everyone. I don't know sellers with can, but I can tell you that are very strong opinions on both sides of loving or hating Austin. We got to go because we've already run so long. Thank you so much for coming, Thanks for being a fan and uh and uh and and thanks for the recommendations on the games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 7: Do you want to mention your Twitch stream?
Speaker 6: Oh sure, yeah, I stream with Welcome to the Party RPG every Saturday at eight pm is your standard time? Uh, where you can watch you play Bubble Gum Shoe.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, guys. I think Krista will be definitely tuning in and yes and uh no, but I'd love to watch you play. And I can't wait to tune in to watch you and Joel and Dan play Sellers of Catan and have them have them change your mind off.
Speaker 6: Thank you everybody all, have a lovely day.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've we've been doing this for eighteen episodes. I've never seen Joel or Dan get that worked up about anything.
Speaker 3: They got very worked up just now. Joelle gets worked up when we talk Star Wars.
Speaker 1: I know, but I gotta tell you that was the best adverseillers of Good Tan.
Speaker 3: I've ever seen ever in the history.
Speaker 1: I know. But we're gonna get them as an advertiser now because our producers flipped out, all right. When the janitor says this stethoscope is mine, and then he says into the stethoscope, it's getting hot, Redbird pull me out. That shit was funny.
Speaker 5: I laugh.
Speaker 3: I left at that too.
Speaker 1: That's clearly a Neil improv because there's no way that was written into the scrip.
Speaker 2: I like that, I do.
Speaker 4: I did love the c story because I of Donald and Sarah, of finding out about Ken Jenkins musical past. But I do love Donald and Sarah together. The chemistry with the two of them is very unique.
Speaker 3: I wrote, I wrote at the end of this, I wrote, I really enjoyed watching Sarah and I together. Uh and and we didn't get to do a lot. I don't recall us doing a lot together while making the show. So going back and seeing that, it was like, holy shit, we had a good little h dynamic duo thing going.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's a it's a it's kind of an unusual chemistry. It's it's definitely different in a way, like you're both kind of silly, Like there's some bumbling element to it that's very funny, Like you have a line reading when you're you're still holding onto her finger because she swore to you that she wasn't going to do a thing, and then a second she sees Ken she's she says.
Speaker 5: I heard you did the music and you.
Speaker 3: Went you you swore.
Speaker 1: I didn't notice that they were still pinky.
Speaker 5: We're still holding each other's pikies, and.
Speaker 3: Then I pulled away. You sa like. I enjoyed that a lot as going back in looking at this, Who knew Ken Jenkins was that good of a guitar player, dude, I know.
Speaker 1: I knew we had a great voice. I forgot that he could play the guitar like that.
Speaker 3: Dude. It sounded like he was he was blusing out, man, he was going hard. Was that actually him playing yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, clearly him playing yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. Most of the casts, with the exception of Sarah when we did the musical, could really.
Speaker 3: Sing yeah, had had some form of musical talent. Although Sarah does dance in this episode.
Speaker 1: Sarah can dance and dance in this episode is very adorable. Yeah, I told her, I told you so, dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I told you so. But I remember that went that went a lot further, but they cut it for the episode. Like she gets into the full splits when and when we would play the the gag reel and they let that thing go at one point she got all the way down into a full split, but I guess for the show they felt they was going on.
Speaker 1: Oh really, So if you're into did you guys can watch the Blueberry Slash gag reel of season one and there's probably video of Sarah doing extending that dance for a long told.
Speaker 3: You so, I told you all the way down to the split.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's so adorable when she dances.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's so adorable in general.
Speaker 1: I know I miss her, I really know. She We don't get to see Sarah that much because she's often in Canada. But when when the world's not closed down, you know, we see Christa and Bill and obviously Donald and I see each other. We don't ever see Chalky as we call her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do miss her. You know what? You know what I missed this year was the Easter. Yeah that you guys do.
Speaker 1: Chris has a beautiful Easter party with bunnies, with bunnies, funnies.
Speaker 4: Every everyone was sad and I thought we would do it this summer, like, but we can't.
Speaker 5: So we're just gonna have to wait till next year.
Speaker 4: And the Easter book this year is amazing and I have I was just thinking as I was talking to you, guys, I have to send you some of the pictures because I have pictures of you and Zach and johny c. That are so sweet, like you just have your arms, like really sweet pictures.
Speaker 1: I love that party you have, and every year that I'm going, I'm like a little kid because I'm like, I'm excited to see everyone. But then in my head, I'm like, bunnies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my kids love that party so much. They can't you know, there's an Easter egg hunt. There's you know, there are there are bunnies, there are goats, there are a bunch of different animals, baskets, Oh my gosh. They and for the love.
Speaker 1: And for the adults, alcohol yeah, alcohol, but also everyone knows each other.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a great group. Ross comes.
Speaker 5: It's just all good.
Speaker 1: You guys throw a really good party. I think when the world opens up, you should throw a bash.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, Bill.
Speaker 1: So Krista Miller Booty Call is at seven thirty five. Yeah, it's a great entrance. Christa, you walk, you walk right in. You're like, you don't even knock on the door. You're like, let's do this.
Speaker 3: Hey, honey, honey, I'm home. That's what she says, Honey, I'm home.
Speaker 1: She goes right to the bar starts pouring herself a drink.
Speaker 3: And he says something stupid. She's like, if you're going to talk like that, I need to pour me a bigger drink.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so boring, so boring.
Speaker 1: You know, we never learned about Jordan's other love interests. I mean, clearly Jordan was I'm sure not solely using doctor Cox as a booty call, or maybe she was.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: What do you think.
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: No, No, do you think what we saw you you were one of the booty calls?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I was never your booty call. Well, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: You are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, sorry sorry I was, I was. I was. Yeah. So I think she's having her way with lots of men, probably right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but thinking in the back of her mind. Did Jordan think in the back of her mind that she was going to get back with Cox eventually?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's crazy people that get divorced and then get remarried. That's such as also.
Speaker 4: And Johnny c also have like four or five visectames and then reverse vasectomies too.
Speaker 3: For you though, Yeah for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, can you really reverse the vasectomy with I mean you can, right.
Speaker 3: That's what the doctor said when he did mine. He told me, don't worry, we can reverse this shit really. Oh yeah, and anytime and when Casey starts getting itchy again, we might have to do it. That's all I know now, bullshite. We're not gonna have no more kids in crazy.
Speaker 1: It's a shame that you snipped yourself. Donald. You make such beautiful children.
Speaker 2: They're so beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thank you, very very much.
Speaker 1: And I know it's expensive, but you know, next time you get some big ass job, you're gonna be like, I need to plant my seed now.
Speaker 5: Donald, how many kids do you have?
Speaker 1: Like Fortunen twenty seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, yeah, it's up there now.
Speaker 4: I mean I see like twelve of them at Easter, which makes me happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the other and then the other the other thirty something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Donald, tell us about Holy son of a Cracker, because.
Speaker 3: That that that I remember when I had to say that, And you know who gave me that was Bill Lawrence, Bill Lawrence CA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no way Bill wrote Holy Son of a cracker.
Speaker 3: Bill Lawrence on set came to me and said, say, holy son of a cracker. I was like, what say, holy son of a cracker?
Speaker 1: Georgia Jefferson used to say cracker all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, it's a dirackt you know. Okay, So look for those of you who don't know. And then cracker doesn't mean anything when somebody says the cracker is somebody of the opposite race who cracks a whip on black people. That's where a cracker is from. That's where cracker comes from. You and and and you are below other white people because all you are is a whip cracker.
Speaker 1: I see. So that's what you're calling JD.
Speaker 3: JD is called.
Speaker 1: Just choking that, that's calling your best friend.
Speaker 3: I'm just putting out there. So when Bill said that, I was like, really, he was like, say it. I was like, okay, but.
Speaker 4: Don't you think isn't it the fun the most fun part in Scrubs When Bill would you'd be doing a joke and Bill whispers something in your ear and he'd say, don't say anything. So you haven't told anyone that you're going to change the queue line for them, And then you say something like Son of a Cracker and then everyone laughs.
Speaker 2: It's the it's the best, it's the best feeling.
Speaker 3: You know who would never laugh though, is fucking Neil Flynn. You could never say anything where he'd be like, I didn't think that was fun. You caught me off guard. Yeah, he would always be right away ready to go again. Christa, was it Stuff or Maxim Magazine that you were on the cover of.
Speaker 4: I was the first Maxim magazine cover girl.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is awesome, that's amazing. Bill said. He used to walk around town holding the magazine talking about this is my my girlfriend. Have you seen a new Maximum my girlfriend?
Speaker 6: Yeah? It was.
Speaker 5: That was really fun and cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so holy Son of a Cracker. And I remember also that day you were there, we were doing the scene and we tried to convince Lawrence Trilling to who directed this episode, to put lotion on the side of the bed. So when Turk rolls over and says to Carla, hey, so you know, since we're up, and she goes no, no no. Instead of him going back to sleep, we tried to make it so that I rolled over and then squeezed lotion.
Speaker 1: And we definitely shot that shot that Yeah, we definitely shot that didn't put it. That was hilarious.
Speaker 3: That was one of those things where he was like, you know, I showed it to Krista and she was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, christ didn't like masturbation. So, speaking of that, ten twenty three, when I come in and my my parents are playing wheelbarrow, and that's that's me, the voice of my own father, like, go back to bed. I'm fixing mommy's back.
Speaker 3: Which is very interesting because the very next episode, John ridd.
Speaker 1: Yes, John Ridder, it's such a shame that we can't. I didn't even know who to have on. I actually thought about having his son on, but then I thought, I don't know if Jason even watched an episode of Scrubs, but we're gonna have to turn that episode of into just a beautiful memorial. Christa in bed with Johnny C. He's ripped Christa. So if you're gonna have a scene partner, at least you get the very muscular Johnny C.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I imagine this was one of those days where you're like, dude, if you put all of that fucking grease on your body, I'm gonna kill you.
Speaker 2: I can't do this.
Speaker 1: He would also do lots of push ups right, yes, yeah. One secret for you young actors out there is that if you do lots of push ups right before you're seen, at least makes you look a little bit more ripped. But not that Johnny needed to help. He's pretty damn ripped. But Johnny would always bang out a whole bunch of push ups.
Speaker 3: But I did notice that this is one of those episodes where the crisco was light. It was light.
Speaker 2: It was light light.
Speaker 4: You guys will have to have me on when you when we when you get way farther down in seasons. What I had to come in after giving birth to Will two weeks after giving birth to Will and roll slide around with Johnny c in bed with just looped up.
Speaker 2: Another show.
Speaker 1: So he would just he would make his muscles glisten or no, I think he was supposed to be post sex. It' supposed to be sweaty, right.
Speaker 3: No, did his muscles glisten?
Speaker 6: Dude?
Speaker 3: That was his thing, all right?
Speaker 1: Well, he the man likes to listen. If you have those pectoralis majors, shine him up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's see it.
Speaker 3: Donald.
Speaker 1: I laughed when you said, have you guys ever stopped at think that maybe Bunny is just a real bunny.
Speaker 3: Turk is so dumb. That was like a toddy, He's so dumb. I remember watching that.
Speaker 1: I was like, what, so, Christa, do you think that she was jealous? But then was the last thing in the world she was gonna do is let him think that she was jealous?
Speaker 2: Of course, Well, this is my motto in life.
Speaker 1: Also, so that was sort of method acting.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. And also speaking of very cristal things, when you're in the cafeteria at sixteen oh nine and they get in a fight and you go, I should leave. And then when when Christy hears a good bit of gossip like kiss her fingers like it like she's licking off the juices. She'll do this face John, when you put your fingers And I literally wrote down, I literally went out of my notes. That is so Christa being like I should leave, but not leaving.
Speaker 6: Not at all all.
Speaker 3: Right, how did they do the sweat thing on you? Dude?
Speaker 1: There was like a little hidden hose, tiny little hose in my hairline, and I think that's how it was done. And then it just drips it just open it up and face.
Speaker 3: That was crazy.
Speaker 1: That was well done.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also when you got on the elevator. This is an argument in Bill's favor where maybe the janitor is in JD's mind, because I think this is the this is the one time where he gets, hey, hey, killer, how you doing after you're very very uh destruct because you feel like you didn't do enough for the patient who just died. Right, and you walk onto the elevator and the janitor is there and he's like, hey, killer, and may it sends you even further right, and that that too, and then you walk out, see you later, killer.
Speaker 1: That's true. Christa makes a good point. How would he even know that I lost the patient? He just knows everything. He's all knowing that channel. He's yeah, but but you've already proven that time and time again.
Speaker 3: Donald. I'm just saying this is one of those moments where this is one of those moments where.
Speaker 1: Bill doesn't even have defenses anymore. He just yells five to six seven eight, right, Christah. I don't know if you know this, because I don't know how much you're listening to this, but Bill, Bill yelling five to six seven eight to start our theme song has become a fan favorite joke on my Instagram. Every other comment is just five to six, seven, eight, which is a shout out to your husband.
Speaker 5: He wanted me to do that today and I said, no, we made a rule.
Speaker 1: We made a rule. You're allowed to count in. I think you should count in when we're done with the show. We decided. In the world of the podcast, Bill is the only one, because he's the creator of the show, with the power to start the theme song without our permission, right, Donald.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the only one. Like I don't even get the power to do that unless it's for the show, right and and yes.
Speaker 1: If it's not a yeah, Bill, Bill has magical powers. You can always start the thing.
Speaker 3: He's the only one that can do that. That didn't look like a firing squad either, but that joke was hilarious as fuck. Uh okay, I'm okay, I'm okay, Okay, I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm okay. And then they catched it the firing squad, you know, the putting the blindfold on. It looked like a comedy club with the spotlight on you and everything, and so when you go I'm okay, that shit had me. I laughed so fucking heart at that, dude. That was very funny.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, was a mistake, because you're right, it looked like a comedy club. You need a different backdrop for the for the I don't know what the correct for firing squad is, but brick wall is not it.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so or whatever, But I thought that was hilarious.
Speaker 1: So then Ken sings and it's very beautiful, and.
Speaker 3: And he's the song of the He's the song of the episode in this I don't know if.
Speaker 1: That song is a is a made up song. This might be a good question for should we asked have Chris to ask Bill? He's not gonna remember, He's just gonna say five to six, seven eight, But should we We want to be fun of Chris to ask Bill a question?
Speaker 4: Do you have me to I can intercom him in his office.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let's see if he'll answer in his ghetto tear.
Speaker 2: Here we go, All right, let me see what is it called?
Speaker 1: Let me scrawl down my mansion billiards, billiards, indoor pool, outdoor pool.
Speaker 2: We have a question for you.
Speaker 1: We're on the podcast. We're on the podcast right now.
Speaker 4: You're on the podcast what the song that Ken Jenkins sings at the end of one eighteen.
Speaker 5: Is that a made up song? Or is that a song?
Speaker 1: Heart?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're taping you now, Tusk Gluke's Heart Heart.
Speaker 1: It's it was a made up song and we were just goofing around with it, and he helped us come up with it. He alwaysus to fit on his guitar and he is a Broadway thing.
Speaker 4: And the second that I asked him to.
Speaker 1: Do it, He's like, should be something like this, and they went, hang up off. No matter what you do, keep keep giving How many chances can we give him? How many chances?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 1: I feel like, It's like Lucy and Peanuts with the football. I mean, how many chances are we going to give?
Speaker 7: This?
Speaker 2: Never learned?
Speaker 1: We never learned, We never learned.
Speaker 3: A great episode, great episode.
Speaker 1: I did find it funny that Johnny c has just had sex with Jordan twice and then he's looking for boobs on TV.
Speaker 4: I mean I didn't understand that either, Like boobs, I didn't understand that was supposed.
Speaker 1: To say that he's lonesome and that he's that he's this booty calls you, But you guys aren't getting back together, and so he you've sabotaged his chances with this woman and now he is just back on his couch alone, trying to look for boobs on TV. But my brain went like, dude, you just had sex twice with Jordan, who's such a babe, and like, now you're on your couch looking for boobs on TV.
Speaker 3: That makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless you have make Donald blbido, it makes no sense.
Speaker 3: Well, even with my libido after three times, I'm good for a while, dude, at least at least for an hour, Yeah, a few hours.
Speaker 4: Hold up, Charlotte, Charlotte's being a little loud outside of my office.
Speaker 1: Charlotte can make a cameo if she.
Speaker 4: Wants here, Bart, come here, We'll give her a chance to plug her music.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come say hi to Zach's podcast.
Speaker 2: To Zach and Donald.
Speaker 8: Are you on it right now?
Speaker 1: Yes, we're on it. Look at her, we're right now.
Speaker 3: What's some booty hole?
Speaker 1: There's no there's no videos, Charlotte, So you can look all the booty hole you want.
Speaker 8: Can you guys hear me properly?
Speaker 3: We can hear absolutely. You know. I follow you on Instagram and I love your music.
Speaker 8: Thanks, Donald, I follow you.
Speaker 1: Too, Charlotte. Charlotte, like, millions of people listen to this, so you have to tell them where to find your music.
Speaker 8: Look up, Charlotte Lawrence. Guys and have fun with.
Speaker 1: It, Charlotte Lawrence on Spotify, Apple Music, everywhere. We knew this this this girl when she was a baby.
Speaker 9: I would be on Scrub sets when I was little. I wait, do you know what people might not know?
Speaker 8: It's a little fun fact.
Speaker 1: Is one fun fact.
Speaker 9: And at the end of every Scrubs episode what it says, Douzer, when it's like the end credits, you hear bye.
Speaker 8: Bye, and it's me from when I was two years old.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry that I.
Speaker 3: Met that scrub Wiki take that Scrubs wiki.
Speaker 1: Yes, scrubs WICKI didn't know that. And Charlotte, didn't you do a cameo when you were like a little bit when you were a little bit older, like as a little girl, didn't you dance? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I just posted it for mom's birthday.
Speaker 9: It was like Jordan had a flashback and she imagined she had her own talk show and then she was talking to some girl and was like, you're boring as hell. Just watch me dance with a little girl who looks just like me instead.
Speaker 2: So I came on and I remember I got to skip school for it.
Speaker 9: Even I was like the happiest I've ever been because my school had like really serious uniforms that you had to follow, and I showed up to school like in makeup and hair and a full app But I was like, yeah, guys, I was working.
Speaker 8: I was acting.
Speaker 1: Oh that was probably the beginning of you wanting to go into being a performer. Like it was.
Speaker 8: Oh, definitely.
Speaker 9: I was too happy being in front of the camera and dancing.
Speaker 8: I was like, please just keep filming me.
Speaker 3: I never want to guys were doing the Running Man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was so fun.
Speaker 8: No, but it was so funny.
Speaker 9: My mom was like, okay, like I brought your uniforms. You can change in the car when he went back to school. I was like, no, no, no, I'm acting. I'm an actor and everyone needs to know that I'm an actor now right.
Speaker 1: Well, we miss you. We love uh. We missed your whole family. Donald and I. We wish we could come over and hang out.
Speaker 8: I miss you guys so much, my uncles, my family.
Speaker 9: I was so sad when Easter came along because we always have the most fun.
Speaker 3: We talked about it on the podcast, The Party of the Year, Party of and bunnies.
Speaker 8: And bunnies and goats.
Speaker 1: In my mind, the bunnies are always at your house.
Speaker 8: They're just underneath the house. We let them out only in easter.
Speaker 1: All right, Darling, put your mom back on so we can close this show up.
Speaker 3: We love you, I.
Speaker 8: Love you, guys. Bye, I love you, Mama, I love you. We take the.
Speaker 1: Doggies out, and Christy is such an amazing mama Jeery. I want everyone to know that she's wearing a Charlotte Lawrence hoodie.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, represent represent Christa.
Speaker 1: This was so fun. We went I think the longest we've ever gone ever, and but the fans seem to love that. And and thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: I have more stuff. I have more stuff to ask you, but I'll wait until the season finale.
Speaker 1: I worry that Bill is going to just hog all her airtime. So Chris, to make sure that you even lay down the rules, there's room for you to speak.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 5: I will tell you that he said before it came up he is.
Speaker 4: Make sure to tell them that that that that outfit. You know, like, men's pants and a tank top is my favorite Texist outfit. And I was like, I will, and he goes, well, I'm also telling you, do you remember you know that men's pants at a tank top.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I got it. We're in quarantine. I'm in two at pants.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing my daughter's hoodie.
Speaker 2: Cool it.
Speaker 1: That's funny. So we know that. A little trivia about Bill. He likes a white tank top on his on his on his gals.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's what he likes.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you guys for listening. Chris to get ready because you're gonna five six, seven, eight us in. If you have questions, go to scrubs, iHeart at Gmail, tell us on Instagram, anything you want to tell us. That's the last thing. Donald, I I think you're still reading these days. We really appreciate you all listening. Tell your friends because this thing is blowing up and we want everyone to know about it. We're having so much fun and.
Speaker 3: And and and you know, hater's gonna hate and we understand that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and don if you're if you're the person telling Donald to stop doing his Oprah voice, you really are getting to him, and so stop trolling his ass because we love it when he does his Oprah voice.
Speaker 3: He's not getting to me or she's not getting to me.
Speaker 1: We love it all right, Chris to count us into our theme song. It's time to sing.
Speaker 3: Stories, not show.
Speaker 1: We made about a bunch of docs and nurses said he's a stories net, so yeah, yeah,