Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's me Josh, and I've said it before and I'll say it again. The disappearance of MH three seventy is one of the biggest mysteries in aviation history. In the second part, we talk about the investigation into the disappearance and the theories of what might have happened. Hope you enjoy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh Clark and there's Charles W Chuck Bryant, and this is part two of two about H three seventy, the most mysterious disappearance of any airliner in the history of modern aviation.
Speaker 2: That's right. We won't do a full recap, but where we're picking up now.
Speaker 1: No, no, wait, you want to do a full recap twenty minutes easy.
Speaker 2: We are at the point where the plane has crashed, and we're going to pick up with a post crash investigations, which, like many airline crash investigations, were bungled, and was bungled in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So Ed points out that like kind of oddly that there are a lot of crash investigations you can point to that, you know, kind of deferred toward the airline manufacturer when they were at fault or tried to do some cover up or was not great. None of them, from what I can tell, compower to this one.
Speaker 2: No agreed.
Speaker 1: This is very, very not good. And the seems to be the roundly accepted reason for the whole thing being bungled was that Malaysia at the time was a dictatorship and you could disappear if you weren't doing your job very well or if you offended the people in charge, and a crash of a Malaysian's airline flight in particular was kind of a dicey thing to talk about because Malaysian Airlines was the pride of Malaysia and it was at the time a government largely government owned and controlled airline, a state owned airline. It was the Malaysia was the majority owner of stock, and it was publicly traded. Malayia Airlines was, but they owned the majority of it. They called the shots. And after twenty fourteen, which proved to be a terrible year by any airline standards, because not only was MH three to seventy it vanish MH seventeen was shot down over Ukraine the same year. Just less than six months later, the Malaysian government set about buying back all of the shares that were outstanding of Malaysian Airlines and took it off of public listing made it a fully stayed owned company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they certainly didn't want the bad press no was sure to follow.
Speaker 1: Now, so there's a lot of people who say the Malaysian government covered this up, not because they did anything the fariest, but because they were worried that something embarrassing was going to come out. And this is not a government that could handle embarrassment very well, and so they literally obfuscated the investigation into what happened at mh three to seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the first problem here is we know now that this plane crashed in the South Indian Ocean, and it took a week before they were looking in the South Indian Ocean, So the first twenty four hours was in the South China Sea between Malaysia and Vietnam. They ended up hooking up and creating a Joint Agency Coordination Center or actually Australia's who created that, and they led the search efforts because it was close to them and they found no trace even after they did all this ocean floor mapping searching. You know, they had that seventh arc peg searched all along there.
Speaker 1: One hundred and twenty thousand square miles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is you know, even if you find that seventh arc and you know it's somewhere in here, that's still a vast, vast area. And this thing is on the bottom of the ocean at this point.
Speaker 1: And we should say it. By this time, Australia has stepped up and been like, well, this happened not too far from US. I guess we're the closest major country, certainly Western democracy in this in this area. We'll head this up. Malaysia will help you out. And they footed a lot of the bill, which was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah for Australia. Sixty million bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from what under stand me. Yeah, and I think it was the most and still is the most expensive search in aviation history. Yeah, which is kind of surprising. You'd think that more would have been spent, but I think they usually find them sooner than this. This was not found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they.
Speaker 1: Searched for two solid years for this thing, and just on that seventh arc. Yeah, there's a lot of people who at the time were like, no, you know how it forms a circle. Well, there's a northern arc and a southern arc. And some people said, no, northern arc somewhere, it's in Kazakhstan. The southern arc was in the Indian Ocean. Most people said, probably the southern arc, right, So that's where they searched, and they still didn't find it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it took so long to even get there. By that point, there were a lot of things. If you had that first twenty four hours, it's sort of like a murder investigation. That first day is so key, the first forty eight Yeah is it forty eight? Say I'm making I'm there and done at twenty four buddy, yeah, okay. So Malaysia then heads up what's called the Joint Investigation Team. The US was involved, China, Britain, and France.
Speaker 1: This was the one that was meant to follow the protocols of just the internationally agreed upon the accident investigation to make for everybody. And Malaysia did not help out very well.
Speaker 2: No, so they issued the Malaysian Ministry of Transport issued a preliminary and a final report. The preliminary report ed describes as more or less a reprint of the Boeing seven to seven seven manual, just like, well, here here was the plane.
Speaker 1: Which I think think it's kind of standard to have technical information, but this is.
Speaker 2: The whole report, and then the second one, the final report basically pointed out where air traffic control failed along the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I saw in that Langwish article that they were politically speaking the easiest targets they were not going to. There wasn't going to be any backlash by kind of taking them to task, especially taking the ho Chi Minh air traffic controllers to task too. They should have been taking the task. Eighteen minutes is a very long time to let an airliner in your jurisdiction just be disappeared. So that was a big problem. But the Malaysian Air Force also should have been criticized for covering up the fact that they hadn't done anything for an hour, that they were tracking this unidentified airplane in their airspace and let an entire search multi national search be mounted in the South China.
Speaker 2: Scene in the wrong place, like a couple of days.
Speaker 1: Before they were like, actually, yeah, we think they went this way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because it takes a long time to even assemble that kind of search squad. Yeah, So I think if they searched for two days and didn't get start till a week later, that's like four days just to like move right, you know.
Speaker 1: And so in that time, an oil slick, a debris field, all that stuff can just vanish. Yeah, and an airliner really can in an area the size of the Indian Ocean, especially even when you know where to look, can just disappear. And that is why a lot of people say we will probably never find yeh three seventy's there's another couple of reasons, why too.
Speaker 2: Are we going to get to those? Sure? Okay, the police in Malaysia and this bore a little bit of fruit. They conducted some background checks on everyone on the plane, and they did find two passengers who were Iranians that had stolen passports. Apparently they were just seeking political assa though, although that does factor into some of the conspiracy theories that pop up later on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anytime you have two Iranian nationals traveling under fake passports on a plane that disappeared, some people are going to say, sure, I don't know about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. And then here was The one thing about their final report from the police is they described Captain T. Sahari basically saying like this guy was great, nothing wrong, he was a great pilot. Nothing to alarm anybody here about Captain Sahari, And that's in the final report and we'll get to him. But that does not appear to be true.
Speaker 1: No, So after the search, after two years and one hundred and sixty million dollars and one hundred and twenty thousand, sorry, one hundred and twenty thousand square kilometers, I think it said square miles, still a lot of square miles searched. The Australians, the Malaysians, and the Chinese that made up the tripartite commission that we're kind of running the show in the search said officially, we don't know what happened. All we can say is that we believe MH three seventy ended somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean. That the official stance on what happened to a vanished airliner that they said, we don't know, And that's as far as we're going to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do want to point out quickly there was one private agency called in Or I think volunteered called Ocean Infinity from Texas. Yeah, they performed a search basically pro bono. If they find the plane, they get paid. But just as a sort of a nerd in this way, I looked at that company and they are awesome. Yeah, it's really cool man. They are. They call it seabed Intelligence, and it's like James Cameron style stuff. The resources and the toys that the dudes to play with. Yeah, it's pretty pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They'll have a mother ship. Well at least this is what they did for the Image three seventy search. They have a mother ship. Yeah, and I think the mothership goes through in maps the underwater terrain in three D first and then that forms their search area. They release some autonomous drones.
Speaker 2: Yeah they look like torpedoes yep, but.
Speaker 1: They're drones that can be controlled from this mothership and they go through and scan using sonar in detail the seabed.
Speaker 2: It's so cool and iris photography. It's like really cool stuff.
Speaker 1: It works really well. Ocean Ocean Infinity has a great track reckerally finding stuff there. Who I would call They've they found like a missing submarine from Argentina. They found a bunch of other things. I would call them too.
Speaker 2: By the way, we should get them on the We should hire them out for the Tybee Island nuke.
Speaker 1: We totally should. I'm surprised they haven't just done that for fun. Yeah, as a matter of fact, I think they should solve a mystery. Yeah, the broken arrow or the empty quiver.
Speaker 2: And they're like, we spent how many multimillions of dollars just to say we solve that mystery? Rights for this?
Speaker 1: No? No, they're from Texas, so anytime they find something, they don't think about that. Instead they just shoot their six shooters into the air.
Speaker 2: That's right. I forgot about that, right.
Speaker 1: So that's fine, that's good enough for them. Let's pay enough. But Ocean Infinity, Yeah, they know what they're doing, and they still couldn't find it. A three. There were some things that were found in the search. Number one. This was uncharted territory and now huge swaths of it are now mapped. They found an underwater volcano, an enormous one that they had no idea existed before. They found a couple of shipwrecks from the nineteenth century that had just been totally lost, but they still found no trace whatsoever of MH three seventy, despite two major searches in an official finally an official final report from Australia saying we don't know, We will probably never know. All we can say is that the flight ended almost certainly in the Southern Indian Ocean.
Speaker 2: That's right, and we should shout out the Independent Group. This is an online group of enthusiasts Internet. Yeah, who got together to try and figure this out. And at even pointed out like you know, you hear Internet sleuths, and you're like, come on, get off the tinfoil hat. But it turns out that these people, a lot of them when there were engineers, They worked in aviation formally or currently, and they were really interested in trying to help and I think ended up helping in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even beyond like tinfoil heads Internet can they've done things like identified John Doe's and Jane Doe's. For sure, they've done a lot of cool stuff. But typically they're not qualified in what they're doing. They're just very interested and very dogged in their pursuits. Right with the Independent Group, these are actual like people with PhDs and electrical engineering and secondary radar and satellites and the stuff that they're they're doing. They just all happened to come together, bound by their common interest in search for this plane. And if you go and read, I will give you one thousand dollars if you can make it through one of their blog posts. Yeah, it's so dense and so scientific, looked at one of them, but they're so legitimate. The Australian government when they wrapped up their search, maybe at some point during it they actually acknowledged and thanked the Independent Group for their work because they were relying on it to some extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sure like no one ever and this kind of thing or search and rescue, no one ever wants this to happen. But this is their chance to really get involved in try and do some good.
Speaker 1: Woo the Independent Group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: They also agitated for more transparency in this stuff, and I think they got their hands well. They went aroundabout way. They made friends with some of the family of MH three seventy, just by the families hearing about what they were doing, and from one of the families they got the raw m Marsat data. At a time when m Marsatt was saying thistually belongs to Malaysia or Malaysian Airlines. We can't release it. Malaysia was saying, well, no, in mar Set has to release it. They just went around both and got the raw data, and we're able to really do some much better calculations than they had before with the raw in mar set data.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's take a break and we'll go start up our own internet sleuthing concern. Get that ramped up.
Speaker 1: What are we going to get to the bottom of puppies?
Speaker 2: Sure? Okay, why are they so darn cute?
Speaker 1: That sounds like us?
Speaker 2: All right, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Okay, chuck.
Speaker 2: So are we at wreckage?
Speaker 1: Not quite yet? I want to talk about the Yeah, we are at wreckage. I think they'll tie in nicely to what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean because this thing disappeared. That is not to say there were no traces, because we have pieces of this plane. Now. There are people sort of like these internets loose that are captured by a story such that they will spend a large portion of their life trying to solve it and looking for.
Speaker 1: Stuff and savings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, a lot of money I think.
Speaker 1: By people you really mean person.
Speaker 2: No, there are a lot of other people. There was one man called Zahid Raza who searched for years and he was murdered in Madagascar, so he was.
Speaker 1: His job was as the Malaysian Council to Madagascar, who's like the ambassador to Madagascar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the conspiracy minded will say, now this guy's finding stuff, and they took him out.
Speaker 1: So there was a dude who did leave his life in I think Seattle and move well, actually just started moving around the world, which he did normally anyway. But his name is Blaine Gibson, and yeah, he factors big into that William Languish article. He talks about him a lot. But he just became moved by this and decided that he was going to go start finding wreckage. And he has I think a third of the debris found from MH three seventy has been personally found by Blaine Gibson, just globe trotting.
Speaker 2: Basically amazing.
Speaker 1: But he figured out if it was the Southern Indian Ocean, then this wreckage is probably going to start to show up somewhere around the southern the southwest coast of Africa, South Africa, Mozambique, Madagascar, and he was right, and the first piece turned up in twenty fifteen. It was a six foot piece of an airplane, and it won. No. I can't as a matter of fact, I mean looking for this and then finding it.
Speaker 2: It's like a search for a needle in a haystack.
Speaker 1: But it was found on Reunion Island off of Madagascar. I think it's under the control of Mauritius. And this was a really big deal for a couple of reasons. One, it showed incontrovertibly that the Southern Arc was correct, that it hadn't flown north into Kazakhstan, that the flight had end into the Indian Ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it showed that it crashed.
Speaker 1: That's a big one. It showed that it had broken up like it wasn't like a fire or anything like that had come apart.
Speaker 2: Well, and it wasn't secretly landed somewhere. Some of those conspiracies get pretty out there, right.
Speaker 1: But the other effect that this had was that it devastated the MH three seventy families who had been holding out hope because it was disappeared this airliner vanished and people were saying, no, it actually is in the air based Diego Garcia under US control. No, it's under Russian control in Kazakhstan. It's somewhere, our people are somewhere. Maybe maybe there's this hope. This dashed those hopes. Yeah, and it came a full more than a year after the plane disappeared. So they had been like really holding onto this hope to a desperate degree for more than a year and then it was dashed. Yeah, So it was a big deal when it was found. And that was the first of several pieces that washed up in that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This was a part of the airplane called a flaperon. It's on the back edge of the wing and it's a control surface.
Speaker 1: You know, the kind of this kind of flaps up and down on it. It's a great name for it.
Speaker 2: It is now all no and the serial numbers confirmed it. So it was definitely from MH three seventy. And then many other pieces have I think what dozens at this point the pieces of plane have been found.
Speaker 1: What's creepy is other pieces have been found, but they're not from MH three seventy. It's like, well, what plane are these coming from? Oh? Well, yeah, that's creepy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think maybe every is there any way to completely tag every square inch of an airplane? I don't know, I don't know, and not necessarily with a stamp, but I don't know, know, I know what you means, some kind of technology.
Speaker 1: If there's a you could probably attach some sort of marker to atoms eventually, and yeah, we would be able to tag any any part of any plane, down to the.
Speaker 2: Way you find a little four inch piece of metal and you know what it is.
Speaker 1: You just like analyze the atomic makeup and yeah, oh look image three seventy.
Speaker 2: But that's the future everyone, that's.
Speaker 1: Not too far up. Once we get into nanotechnology, that will be commonplace, although we'll also probably be able to make planes that don't come apart.
Speaker 2: So the other thing that suggests too is that the plane hit and we talked earlier about when a plane is descending into an ocean like that is going super fast, and this really kind of confirms that because they didn't find much wreckage the plane. These parts probably ripped off on the way down, and most of the plane fairly intact hit the ocean and went south very very fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right to the bottom, right to the bottom. So this also dashed the hopes of the families even further in that those four electronic location transmitters, yeah, the beak of the life beacons that were supposed to go off, and all four failed. Some family members and a lot of conspiracy theorists are saying all four of those failing. No way, Yeah, it means that the plane didn't descend quickly, didn't catch fire, didn't hit water because some of those transmitters are supposed to go off when they hit water. But if they broke up on the way down, because here's the thing is the planes if it entered a steep decline at six hundred miles an hour, which is about what they think that was cruising at, if it drops from thirty five thousand feet at six hundred miles an hour within two minutes, it's going to just break up, either on the way down or the moment it hit its water. So much so that some of these beacons that are designed for the scenario are not going to function. And there's another there is one beacon that is designed to go off on impact. It's designed for that kind of thing, but it needs fifty seconds above water to transmit to the satellite. So they think this thing hits so fast that that beacon might have just gone right down underwater and not been able to transmit in that fifty seconds. So it's an explanation that the plane came apart in the Southern Indian Ocean. Didn't just crash in the Southern Indian Ocean. It came into a million pieces in the Southern Indian Ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, we mentioned the black boxes in the previous episode. Obviously we don't have these black boxes. They're down there with everything else. Haven't recovered anything like that, but.
Speaker 1: They think that they probably wouldn't tell much of a story anyway.
Speaker 2: No, not unless there was some sort of final communications or something.
Speaker 1: That's what it would take. It would take whoever was in charge of the plane at that time still talking and explaining. And if you were the only person alive on this plane, who would you be talking to.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go ahead and talk about who this might be, because all indications point that it was the captain of the airplane himself, Captain Shaw.
Speaker 1: Yep, Captain Zahariamad Shaw.
Speaker 2: That's right. So the wreckage basically, I mean there's a lot of clues. Again, we can't say anything for sure. But no one ever cl you know, it's unlikely it was terrorist, because one thing terrorists do, which is what makes them terrorists, is claim responsibility.
Speaker 1: They like to brag.
Speaker 2: Well, so everyone knows who it was. No one did this, no one even falsely did this, which happened. Sometimes the same can be said for a kidnapping because there are some theories about that that there were some important people aboard that they wanted to disappear or something.
Speaker 1: Right like, if you were kidnapping somebody, you want them alive and they can't be alive if the planes and a million pieces in the southern Indian Ocean.
Speaker 2: That's right. And there were only two people on that plane who knew and had the knowledge and access to do this stuff, and that was Captain Shawn, first Officer Hamid.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, there's something really important to point out here too, Chuck. There was no distress call and for if it was a hijacking, between the time that Zahari said good night Malaysian three seven zero and the transponder went off at exactly the right time, right when it hit a ho Chi Minh Air Traffic Controls jurisdiction, it would have taken a minute for terrorists to make their way into the cockpit, which was sealed with an electronic lock lot super bolted. It would have taken less than a minute at a precise moment in time for terrorists to take control of the plane. That just would not have happened.
Speaker 2: The idea that these two were working together is not very plausible. The idea that it was First Officer Hamid himself is not plausible because, like we said, this is a greenhorn. He was just getting started in his career. He was super happy to be to have this job, this great job, flying the Pride of Malaysia. Nothing at all points that he had anything to do with this.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't. And also it would have been much harder for him to get Captain Shaw out of the cockpit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like want you go take a bathroom break? Yeah, would have been like I don't need to you. He's like no, but seriously, go do it. I'm wondering how Captain Shaw might have gotten him out.
Speaker 1: So one thing languish. This is a well I will keep going back to all day long.
Speaker 2: The language.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he said that Captain Shaw was known as a somebody who wanted to know all the details of what was going on, So it would have been very normal.
Speaker 2: Go back and check on something exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would have been very normal. It would have been very easy, and First Officer Hamid would have hopped, dried up and gone right out of the cockpit, leaving Shaw alone to lock the door, lock them out.
Speaker 2: Yep. And that's all it took.
Speaker 1: That's all it took.
Speaker 2: So when you start, we said that the report from the Malaysian police came back as a glowing report for Shaw. When you start doing a little digging around, that's not exactly the case. Before this plane disappeared. In the months before, he had separated from his wife, he was living by himself. Apparently was having an affair with a married woman.
Speaker 1: I think a platonic affair, but a weird emotional affair.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also involved her children that he was really into, right.
Speaker 2: He was apparently was very big on social media. But he did not leave like a Facebook post.
Speaker 1: No suicide note, no suicide note.
Speaker 2: No video. And he was on YouTube. He did diy repair things on YouTube videos, which is pretty remarkable. Yeah. But here's the big clue to me and everyone else is that Microsoft has this flight simulator that's a lot of fun. I don't know if you ever played around with.
Speaker 1: One of those, not for many, many years.
Speaker 2: It's a ton of fun. I've crashed tons of planes because it's really hard, as it turns out, to fly one of these. But he loved doing this. He loved flying these. It was one of his hobby, was flying this flight. Some so they were able to get into the flights that he flew preceding this disappearance, and one of them really closely matches the flight path of MH three seventy right into the Indian Ocean. Some people might say, like, hey, listen, that doesn't prove anything. But all the other flights that he had played around with he took from takeoff to landing, this is the only one where he jumped forward like a podcast commercial. Don't say that he's skipping forward in time on that flight alone to see how these fuel calculations were going to play out and where this plane would be when it ran out of fuel over the Indian Ocean. Flights him over right, and that is so suspicious, Like I mean, it's I know, you can speculate, but it's almost open and shutcase when you hear.
Speaker 1: That, it's so suspicious. I saw. One member of the Independent group said that he left it as a bread crumb. Oh interesting, you know that, like he wouldn't have learned anything from Microsoft Flight simulator, which is, to a guy in the seven seventy seven, basically a game. You know that he was just basically leaving something behind. That was That was one guy's interpretation in the Independent group.
Speaker 2: Well, the very least he could say if I if I'm here and I'm on this header and I put it on autopilot, who knows, he may have killed himself. Yeah, he may have wanted that thing to fly into the ocean for sure.
Speaker 1: So the the idea is that Captain Sahari took control of the plane by locking First Officer Mead out of the cockpit, turned off the electrical system, took the seven seventy seven in a hard turn, back tracking and probably going up to about forty thousand feet at the same time, accelerating the effects of depressuration depressurization in the cabin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, killing everyone on board.
Speaker 1: Killing everyone on board, putting it on an autopilot, and setting a course for the Southern Indian Ocean with a plane full of dead people for a good six something hours. He may have killed himself at some point. He may not. He may there's some data that suggests that the plane running out of fuel and dropping from the sky would not have hit the ocean as hard as the record suggests that it hit, and that it might have taken somebody driving the plane into the ocean. So he may have been alive to the very bitter end. And if he was a seven to seventy seven pilot dying by crashing a plane in the ocean, I'm betting that he wouldn't have killed himself before the crash. It just doesn't seem right. But the idea is that he killed his passengers and then killed himself by crashing this plane into the Southern Indian Ocean. And this like the mind recoils from that idea. But the problem is it's happened before. Pilots have killed their passengers and these four times, yes, multiple times in the history of air travel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here's the other final clue, which to me is kind of the cherry on top. Is that?
Speaker 1: Really I found this one tough toes?
Speaker 2: Oh really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't think so, because we mentioned earlier he took a very deliberate path to do a little fly by a Penang island that was out of the way, and he grew up on Panang Island. And I don't know, man, I don't think that was it. I don't think that was an accident. I think a final little fly by, I mean.
Speaker 1: I could see it. Sure. To me, it's the simulator. Well, it's like a smoking gun, those things to me. So we were saying that people have done this before.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, German Wings flight ninety five twenty five, I remember that one lam Mozambique four seventy, egypt Air nine ninety and.
Speaker 1: That's another marish article you should read.
Speaker 2: I'm not reading any of these.
Speaker 1: You got it, man, he's so good, chuck.
Speaker 2: Than Silk Air flight at one eighty five. They murdered everyone on board.
Speaker 1: Ye, Like there's no other way to take your own life. Yeah, there's so many other ways to take your own life that don't involve the innocent lives of your passengers. That this is one of the most despicable things you can possibly do.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And so in response, a lot of as suicide bomber.
Speaker 1: Sure, you know a lot of people say there's no way he did this, including his family. They are like, no, this guy did not do that. He was a nice guy. He wouldn't kill a bunch of people. But if you follow the evidence, and again, nobody can say for certain and probably no one will ever be able to say that it was Captain Shaw that did this. But if you follow the evidence and you form your own opinion, there's there's a pretty it's it's pretty convincing that he did. But a lot of people say, no, no way, And because they've not been able to explain what happened, it's formed this vacuum that's being filled by conspiracy theories. And there's a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll take our last break here and we will we're not going to go too deep into those, but we will kind of rattle off some of the leading ones right after this.
Speaker 1: And Chuck before we you know, rattle off some of these these conspiracy theories. I want to say, because we can't explain this, nobody can say that it was Captain Shaw. Sure, there are some things you can say. It's not like it wasn't an accident, it wasn't there was it wasn't you know, terrorists or anything like that. Yeah, but you can't say definitively that yes, it was Captain Shaw. And if this floats your boat, this is a there's a whole rabbit hole for you to dive down with MH three seventy. And there's a lot of other interpretations, but this seems to be, among air disaster experts the likeliest explanation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are not saying, to be clear that it was Captain Shaw.
Speaker 1: Nobody can say that it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just sort of following Okham's razor here in the findings of experts like you said that. It just it's the cleanest explanation there is. Yeah, all right, Well some things that aren't so clean. Should we go over some of these? This was compiled by the Week dot co dot UK The Week. I didn't see, Yeah, I didn't see any authorship though on this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Maybe they're like the economists and they don't it's all the economists speaking. It's all the Week speaking, you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: Exactly, they're collective. So let me see here. One of these is that Captain Shaw parachuted out of the plane to meet that woman on a boat.
Speaker 1: Totally unnecessary because he and his wife had already separated. Yeah, he was living alone.
Speaker 2: That's right, But that was actually written by a journalist in a book called The Hunt for MH three seventy by e An Higgins. Okay, what else? This one is interesting that it was cyber hijacked. This is in another book called Beneath Another Sky colon A Global Journey into History, And this is the suggestion that Boeing's Honeywell uninterruptible autopilot onboard computer was hacked and reprogrammed. Yeah, there's the on the ground.
Speaker 1: That ties into another one that the CIA got their hands on the plane remotely. But I don't know that it's true, but there's a definite thread through conspiracy minded groups that after nine to eleven, they have engineered some sort of mechanism onto airliners so that they can be remotely controlled in case they are hijacked, so nobody can fly something into the world traitson or anything like that. Again, makes sense, It does make sense. It makes so much sense that I'm like, wait, did they actually do that? But that's the that's like step one to that conspiracy theory. Step one is that that's that exists, and then step two is that somebody used it to vanish MH three seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what else Asian Bermuda triangle?
Speaker 1: No? Yeah, should we just that's all you need to say.
Speaker 2: Well, this one, I thought it was funny because it said that when you look at where it crashed, it's the exact opposite of the Bermuda triangle on the other side of the globe. And then I guess someone just looked, They're like, no, it's actually not right, So go that down.
Speaker 1: The two maybe in the general neighborhood, but definitely not on the air.
Speaker 2: And also there's no Bermuda triangle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a big, big issue with that.
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 1: Another one is that that it was used as MH seventeen. Remember I said that twenty fourteen was a terrible year for Malaysian airlines. And the idea is that they hijacked They meaning probably the CIA or the US government or some shadowy cabal, hijacked MH three seventy, safely landed it in some at Diego GARCIA air base or somewhere under US control, killed everybody, or maybe they were dead from hypoxia to begin with. Anyway, put them in freezers, and then stage this changed the call sign from a zero or from an O to a D on the plane easy enough, and then used it to be shot down over Ukraine. And supposedly there's reports from Ukrainian journalists and humanitarian workers and even Ukrainian rebels saying that the corpses that fell from this shot down plane I'm seventeen over Ukraine were already decomposing and rotting as if they died weeks before. I've not found anybody who actually said that or anything like that. But that's the whole thing, is that it was a big false flag operation. Okay, but isn't it nuts that, Like, if you can't explain something like a disappeared airliner, people go onto the internet and write books and say here's what really happened, and that it's this. Yeah, think about the level of distrust we have for the people running the show that this has an audience, Like, I do not blame anybody who believes stuff like this because we've been lied to for so long that you can buy this. You know that some government agency would hijack a plane, kill everybody and then use it to pin it on, you know, putin controlled Ukrainian forces.
Speaker 2: Come on, Yeah, it was Hunter Biden, right, So here's another one that I thought was interesting and not I'm saying it's interesting, is like, could it be? But if you go to look at passengers on an airplane and try and find a thread, you might want to look at the fact that there are twenty people that worked for a company. Oh yeah, all on board called Free Scale Semiconductor. So I hear that, and I think, well, we should at least look into this. Is there any reason someone would want to tank this company or tank twenty people that worked important people that work for this company, And the theory is that they might have been killed by a plane crash, either for secret technology or to manipulate stock prices.
Speaker 1: Right, And apparently that company helped the NSA or the CIA or the US government in general create some of its PRISM program surveillance technology, so they were supposedly already in cahoots with shadowy agencies within the US government to begin with. And since this plane was headed to Beijing, China, perhaps this company was going over to work with China now and the CIA didn't like that, so they did this pretty interesting, as you said, interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all it is. Yeah, And then there are other various ones from life insurance scams, to false flag hijackings, to alien abductions. Apparently five percent of Americans surveyed believe it was abducted by aliens.
Speaker 1: Believe Image three seventy was abducted by aliens. I saw that, and my brain wouldn't accept that. I think I just saw it as five percent of Americans believe in alien abductions.
Speaker 2: No, I think that.
Speaker 1: I can't hear what you're about.
Speaker 2: It's just something dumb service.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got anything else? No, Well, if you want to know more about Image three seventy, friend, meet your new hobby because it is all over the internet and you can follow whatever thread you like. And since I said that, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 2: This one's a bit long, but boy is it a good one and super important one for this gentleman and his family. Hey guys, my name's Tyler. I live in Michigan. Got a story for you. The Sunday before Thanksgiving, my family and I woke up and I went around business as usual. I was playing a video game with my two boys, and my wife said she was going out to the garage to get something and walked at the door. After about ten minutes, my neighbor banged on the door. I opened it to see my next door neighbor pointing at my wife laying motionless on the ground in front of my car. Full on, panic mode set in. I ran the ten feet or so to find her not breathing, fingers and face already blew, and my neighbor started calling nine to one one. Luckily, I remembered some advice from your CPR episode, not only how much pressure to apply to the sternum, which is a lot, but the rhythm, and I began to staying alive that is so great by the beg's in my head as I did the chest compressions. Trying to sing along while my adrenaline was pumping was not easy, but I did my best to stay calm and keep singing that part the song in my head. The colors started coming back to her face a little bit after I started the EMTs and police were at my house within five minutes and used the I always missed that word up defibrillator on her three times, gave her three shots of epinephrine before they finally got her heart beating again. Her brain went without blood for twenty minutes, though, and as a result, she's been diagnosed with brain damage. She's got a long road to recovery ahead of her, but the doctors think she has a good chance because of her age. Her heart had a severe rhythmia that ultimately calls cardiac arrest. I'm doing the best I can for her and my kids while she heals. I'm the primary provider for my family while my wife was a primary caregiver. Having to take off work and take care of my kids. It has been really scary, but I've gotten tremendous support from friends and family here in my time of need. So i just want to thank you guys for the work you do. Without your podcast, I likely would have been burying my wife instead of visiting her in the hospital. Right this is like Christmas time too.
Speaker 1: Chuck, I wasn't prepared for this one. You could have given me like sorry, stuff me in the hand with the needle or something first.
Speaker 2: Sincerely, thank you both so much. That is from Tyler Elliott. He said, if you guys read this on the show, could you shout out my best friend justin Sure. He got me into the show back in the day and has been there for me and my family every step of the way.
Speaker 1: So Justin is the one who should be thanked.
Speaker 2: Really, It all in a weird way comes back to Justin Man.
Speaker 1: What is his name again?
Speaker 2: Tyler Elliott? And I hope your wife is recovering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same here, Tyler.
Speaker 2: Best of luck to you man. That's a quite a herring experience.
Speaker 1: Not only are we thinking of you, but everybody listening to this podcast right now is thinking about you too.
Speaker 2: That's right, sending out the best vibes into the universe.
Speaker 1: Greed. Wow. Well, if you want to try to top Tyler's email best of luck, good luck, you can go on to stuff you Should know dot com and check out our social links there, and you can also send us an email yourself to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff you Should is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts myheart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.