Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number oneh eight of the Marine Layer Podcast. It's a mailbag episode. We'll answer your best baseball and non baseball questions on today's pod.
Speaker 2: Here's your reminder before we start, make sure to download those episodes. If you're listening, rate and review, leave it five stars, leave a written review two. All of it helps us out. If you're watching, click that big subscribe button, Like and comment on the YouTube podcast as well, where we do our video podcast, and check us out on social media, especially the upcoming weeks. We've got a bunch of spring training content for you. We're on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube shorts at marine Layer pot.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, Recording here on Sunday, March. When you're listening to this, Lyle and I will be at spring training, but for the time being here on Sunday. Before we leave, we have a lot of really good questions to get to here on this edition of the podcast. I do really like the batchup questions we have here today. I think for the mail bags, this is the most diverse mail bag episode we've had.
Speaker 2: We got some really good questions like if you're looking forward to, like you said, diversity, and not just some really good baseball questions, but creative questions and some non baseball questions as well. You're in for a good one this episode. But Dog, I do have to say before we start, happy birthday at it today on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Thanks Dog. Yeah, not my birthday on Wednesday, but on Sunday. Yes, So the Mariners will be getting the newest version of TJD twenty six version of TJ I don't even know what to expect, to be honest, like what they're gonna get, but well, I guess we'll have to see. Hey, twenty six is the new twenty one, no judging how my twenty one was?
Speaker 2: Okay, probably not all right? Well, fair enough.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you looking out for me though.
Speaker 2: Yes, I will say, speaking of birthdays, when we get down to spring training, one of the questions I'm itching to ask this one probably won't even like be on social media or anything like that. But when we were done recording with Dom with Dom Canzone, we were talking about, Oh, him and I have the exact same birthday. We're both August sixteenth, nineteen ninety seven, and I asked Dom, I said, what time were you born at? And he said, honestly, I don't know. I'm gonna have to ask my parents and get back to you. So when we get down to spring training, I'm gonna ask him and see if you ever followed up on that, because I'm genuinely curious. I was born like a little bit before five am. I'm guessing he wasn't born that early. So yeah, I'm kind of itching to find out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be uh, that'd be pretty wild. Let's get into these mail bag questions up first. This is a question we got on Twitter from at a understore Underscore Stuart fifty one. The question is, Lyle, would you rather relive a season through the low light tapes of twenty twenty two Jesse Winker or twenty twenty three Colton Long All recorded outs from the season are on tape.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a couple different ways you could go about this. You could think of it as do you put one of these guys on the twenty twenty four roster, or do you think of it as you're going to go back and watch their seasons in the years they were with the Mariners. I looked at it the latter way, in the sense of Winker in twenty two long and twenty three. If it's between those two, I would pick Jesse Winker because, look, he played some of the worst defense I think we've ever seen in the outfield at T Mobile Parker. That being said, he wasn't good at the plate, but technically he was above average. I know they traded for him to be a real impact bat and he was not that. But he led the American League in walks as WRC plus was over one hundred. I know Jesse Winkers stand by any means, but between the two, I think I'd pick Winker because definition he was slightly above average.
Speaker 1: But who is the more useful player on a baseball team? I was trying to think so when my answer to this question is, if I were to pick one of these two and actually have to physically rewatch their entire season again on this twenty twenty four roster, it would be Colton Wong. As much as that pains me, you'd probably it would probably be Culton. Look, I don't think I could I could make myself sit down and watch another season of Jesse Winker in the outfield can't do it. I physically cannot watch that man try and field another ground ball. So it would it would, unfortunately, have to be Culton Wong. Now if I were to sit down and just watch the video, it'd be Jesse Winker because I'd be laughing my ass off of watching him try to field.
Speaker 2: Okay, but Winker was on a team that got to the playoffs. I'm not saying he was the driving force, but he was on a playoff team. We know how frustrating twenty twenty three was for everybody last year. So when you look at the teams, you'd have to watch. I know, the players on each teams weren't that different, Like the core was still the same. But I feel like that and the advanced numbers of plate I feel like i'd still take Winker. I don't know, like like as we've talked about, like Colton Wang. I mean, his defense was no Gold Glove level either last year. I think you're leaving that out.
Speaker 1: No, I mean no.
Speaker 2: Remember remember all the times he had to try to relay the ball in on a cutoff play from from shortened the outfield, and he'd like three hop it to the plate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we could take personality into account here too. I know Jesse Winker wasn't was the most well liked guy too, so that that probably doesn't help with the clubhouse chemistry. Not like and all these all these leaders on this team, JP, cow et cetera. Like they do you think they look at Jesse Winker and like the ultimate form of respect? Hmmm?
Speaker 2: No, oh, okay, if we're gonna go personality one hundred percent, Colton Wong, what resonates with me is not just how well he was and how respected he was. Remember when we had Tye peed on and he said Colton Wong sat down with him for a half hour and just talked baseball life, like acclimating yourself into the big leagues, how to handle yourself one day as a big leaguer. Of we're going to talk about the human being, the personality Colton Wong, like by light years. I wish we'd gotten to know Colton Wong better in the time he was here last year, just as the person. I know he didn't have a good year, but he seems like just an ultimate ultimate good guy. So by that's by that retrospect for sure.
Speaker 1: M hm. So yeah, I think if I just had to sit down and watch, it'd be Winker, It'd be Winker. I mean, what a unique season. He essentially turned into rawl of Banya's with more walks and less power. That like that, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: Remember his I will say if you wanted, if you wanted quotes to hang on to, though, it's Winker. Remember his interview after the doubleheader against the Nationals where he said He's gonna use Dylan Moore's Manscape code between games or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: And my other favorite Jesse Winker moment, Like my friend Caleb at the time worked at like a sports card shop and he just randomly after a day game was like, oh, Jesse Winker came in today. He was like, oh, super nice guy. It's like, well, yeah, it sounds like Jesse Winker was as dedicated to his card collection as he was to his baseball physique. So that was pretty cool. I thought that was a kind of random moment. Never heard about Coltonwong going into a sports card shop.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's not a collector, not like not like our guy justin Topa or in this case, like Jesse Winker. Second question we got in the mailbag This one's on Twitter. It's from Starcadian. He says, this is a unique one. If a sorcerer emerged out of leftfield then offered you a barter which would grant you a super team composed of the best Mariners of all time in their prime for one season, but if that team failed to win a World Series, you would doom the team and franchise to another twenty year playoff draft. Would you do it?
Speaker 1: Yes? Absolutely? Are you kidding me? They already missed it without a curse for twenty years at least if they missed it for twenty years in a row this time, you know there's nothing you can do about it. And you know the other way I thought about this is he essentially, just like rehashed what two thousand and one was. The baseball gods came together to create the perfect baseball team for the Seattle Mariners, the perfect baseball team. And you know what the baseball god said after the two thousand and one season, Well, now your debt will be paid in a twenty year playoff drought. And that's what happened.
Speaker 2: But how can you possibly say you're okay with living through another drought even if you have all these guys on one field because we're.
Speaker 1: Used to it already. That's why no, I because when they have tried to make the playoffs for forty seven years as a franchise.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work.
Speaker 1: So at least when there's an external power keeping you out, you can just kind of shrug your shoulders and know that at least for one season, it might be the greatest season you'll ever watch, and you'll cherish those memories forever.
Speaker 2: Let me make this as abundantly clear as I can possibly speak. I cannot and will not live through another twenty year playoff drought. Do you know how long twenty years is? As I like to put it, our first day of kindergarten until the day we graduated from ASU, we said, zero postseason games for the Mariners, not just that time span. It ranged longer than that our wavelength at thinking on, this is totally polar opposite. Here's why I said, I'm not taking that risk. The Dodgers exist, The Braves exist. Those guys have super teams every year, and they don't win the World Series. The Dodgers have won one. Okay, the Dodgers won once in twenty twenty. The Braves won in twenty one. For the last couple of years, those two teams have had loaded rosters and lost in the first round. I'm not putting that to chance, even with prime Junior and Prime Edgar and prime a Rod and prime Randy Johnson. I'm sorry, I'm not because there's teams like the mid eighties when Diamondbacks that still get there. I'm not taking that one year risk on the chance to win the World Series. If you know, then you get a twenty year drought following. No, I'm taking the chances that they have now where you can just keep this core together and compete for a playoffs about every year, and if you get in, you're starting pitching, you ride with it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm not taking that risk. I cannot live through another twenty years. Dude.
Speaker 1: Well, it's either the option where you're guaranteed a great team, or we can live in the current reality where the thought of a great team just doesn't even enter the minds of the people in control of that give you got it that way.
Speaker 2: But they could be a good team that gets into the playoffs, whether it's an a as, an AOS winner or wildcard, and they ride their starting pitching and see where it takes them. I like, I'm taking that chance with the idea, without the guarantee over your head that oh you are you are going to miss the playoffs for twenty straight years. I'd rather have the chance and the hope to hang on rather than knowing, well, you're gonna miss for another twenty years. No, I can't. I cannot deal with that. Man can do it.
Speaker 1: Like it just the just could. But could you imagine the opportunity to live through that two thousand and one season. Could you think about that? Think of how amazing that summer would be. Could you think about that one hundred and sixteen wins? This team could win more games than that. Wouldn't that not be the most fun you've ever had?
Speaker 2: Okay? But just to get bounced in five games in the ALCS again, the Dodgers won one ten in twenty twenty two, I think it was one ten. Then they lost in the first round of the Padres. You know how disappointed and miserable you'd be at the crashing end of that season, Like, I can't do that. It would be really fun. Like I know what Jared Carabas said the other day of Oh, it's almost more fun to be a good regular season team than postseason team when we had him on two weeks ago now, but I can't. But what Carabas is saying is like year over year, you're a good regular season team. The problem is the Mariners would be good one regular season, potentially get bounced in the Alds or alcs and then missed for another twenty years. I'm not putting that to chance. They can't do.
Speaker 1: It just the th can we just like think of like what the like we built on our social platforms, what the all time starting nine would because like just thinking like hey, Rod at short, Edgar at d H, John Olrud at first, prime, Brett Boone at second. You have Robinson Cano coming off the bench, Nelly off the bench, Yeah, Nelly off the bench. In the outfield, you're gonna have Junior j Rod, Jay Rod probably now each year Jay Buhner, like those would be your four outfielders. Come on, you're telling me you don't want that.
Speaker 2: You tell me, are you guaranteeing that they win a World Series with that team? Again? Let me say again, oh one Mariners, twenty twenty two, Dodgers and the Braves of the last two years.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask which team is gonna beat Prime Randy Johnson, Prime Felix, and then I don't know, let's who else is in that playoff? Garcia, I mean Castillo, Kirby, Yeah, Eddie, Edwin Diaz Andres Munos, Matt Brash and the bullpen Sasaki, Sasaki, I don't know. Twenty fourteen. Tom Wilhelmsen would be like the worst member of that bullpen.
Speaker 2: Dude, I can't put it. I cannot put it.
Speaker 1: To I know you're dreaming. I know you're thinking about it.
Speaker 2: You're thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm thinking about a pretty good team. To me, I don't know where. I don't know who's beating that team to problem, that seems better than the oh one Mariners is that's for sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course it is, because it is Prime Junior and Prime A Rod and a bunch of other guys in Julio. But I like again, guys have off days, and if it's collective, they're gonna lose. And then if they lose, they missed the playoffs for twenty years.
Speaker 1: M you know, I think a Rod and his spray tan powers will get it done.
Speaker 2: I think we're gonna have to agree. Yeah, Unfortunately, I think we are going to have to lightheartedly agree to disagree on this because there is there is like no scenario on earth that I would endure another twenty year playoff drought for I cannot go through that ever again, like bottom line. So I think that's where we stand. Okay, Before we get to our next question, let's talk to you about our friends over at Pagatcha's Pubbetty five, over in Kirkland. We're gonna continue to tell you about it because we love to hang out there. They have awesome pizza, and not just pizza, it's a full food menu. They we got a full drink menu. They've got awesome specials. You can go playpool, you can go watch the games with your friends. Hey, there's spring training games on sometimes when the games are on TV, but with Mariners season coming up, I mean, guys, we're like just a few weeks away from it. You want a spot to go watch, go over there, hang out with your friends. It's a bunch of fun. And if you go during happy hour you can get you can get yourself some really really great specials too. Those are from Monday through Friday happy hours from two to six pm. It features three dollars, domestic beers, four dollars, Manny's Blue Moons, four dollars Mac and Jack's, four dollars wells and four dollar house wines. All that is over at Pagatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland. Our third question comes on Twitter from James Roberts. He says, this feels like an obvious one to ask, but I'll ask anyways, how good does Cole Young have to perform to make the team out of camp? Because he's looked really good and surely is better for second and third base duties than other in house options. I will say I understand what his thinking is long term. I don't think at the current moment, with Cole Jong having played less than fifty games above Lowe, he is currently suited better than the third base options.
Speaker 1: Uh. Look, could I sit the bar at two thousand and four Barry Bonds? If he did that, maybe they would consider. I was thinking along the lines of like, how this could work. Do you remember Juan Soto's call up? You remember how small the sample size for him was above Lowe? I think he played twenty five games above Lowe. Something like that. I mean Juan Soto, I think it was less.
Speaker 2: I thought he played like ten or fifteen games.
Speaker 1: It was not very many games, and he went up to the big leagues and he was great right away. There was no issue for Juan Soto right away. He came up as a nineteen year old, had a nine hundred ohps as a rookie. It is, in theory with the Juan Soto comparison possible, but I'm thinking, like in terms of spring training performance. I mean, even if he hit five hundred and led the Cactus League in bombs like probably still not right like probably like he would they would start him in Double A like instant off the bat, and they'd feel very comfortable about it. But you know, Cole Young hasn't like looking at what Soto did and the kind of numbers he put up, like he slowed nearly six hundred in Double A, he slogged over seven hundred in a plus ball like, Cole Young hasn't done that. So unfortunately, even though he's done very well in the minor leagues, he hasn't done well enough to say I'm going to force your guys's hand to put me at the big league level. He could do that. This year as a twenty year old and go into Double A this year and start hitting three forty with a you know, with an on base percentage over four hundred and slug say six hundred, then the Mariners would really have a conundrum on their hands. At that point, you sit there and think, Okay, are we making our team worse by not putting him on the big league roster as it sits right now? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you just misspoke, But I'm circling back to something a plus ball that I think you mean high a right.
Speaker 1: Like that's it means the same thing.
Speaker 2: Well, of course it means the same thing. But you may have just coined a new term there. You should you should trademark it a plus ball.
Speaker 1: I can't. I don't think I could take ownership for that. I don't think I'm the only person who said a plus ball.
Speaker 2: Oh then maybe maybe I'm just living under a rock. And that's the first time I've heard that saying uh, I would say your thinking is right also, I'm sure, James, and the question is just thinking in terms of like what the needs were entering the off season. But obviously, when you think of your second and third base options. Of course, Jorge Polanco, from where we sit, is a much much better option at the moment than Cole Young. The only option would be either if Polanco slid to third and Young came up and played second, or if Young just started playing more third base and came up as a third baseman. But I think he profiles more as a second basement anyway. And all that being said, you're talking about Wuan Soto playing X amount of games above Hi A, like he played X amount of games in Double A. No, Cole Young has only played like less than fifty games in High A. Everett like he has not hit Double A yet. Lonsto got called up from Double A. So I am all aboard the Cole Young train. If you've listened to some of the recent podcasts, you've heard me say I think there's a real world Cole Young gets up by the end of the year. I'm certainly sticking by that with the way he's looked so far. But to make the camp out of spring training playing about forty eight games in High A, and that's the highest level he's played at at twenty years old, just doesn't seem likely. Now. If you want to change the actually go ahead, let me.
Speaker 1: Say I was gonna say, Julio Rodriguez is the second highest ceiling out of any prospect the Mariners have ever had, behind Ken Griffey Junior. He played an entire season in Double A before getting called up. He crushed Double A, but he played an entire season as a twenty year old in Double A. I have a hard time seeing Cole Young do it like at this moment, doing anything less than that to earn a call up.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I would agree with that. Now. I think if he keeps hitting like this, he's not going back to Everett. He's just gonna start the year in Arkansas. Yeah, but but he would have to play really well in Arkansas to get a call up even at the end of the year, which I think may happen. But you just you can skip Triple A and go from Double A to the Major Some guys do that. Julio did it. You've seen other guys do it at certain points, like Evin White did it. But I don't think you can go from High A to the big leagues at twenty years old. That's just too much of a jump. So I am very excited to see what Cole Young's done so far this spring, I'm almost positive he's not making the roster out of camp. I'll put it like that.
Speaker 1: But if Cole Young goes and crushes triple A this year and the Mariners third base situation does not get better, like let's say there's injuries or in once the dead deadline rolls around, they have to go acquire a pitcher instead of an infielder, and third base is still a black hole at that point, Or say Polonko goes over to third and second base at that point is a black hole again for what seems like the twentieth year in a row a row without Robinson Cano or Brett Boone. Then you make you make that decision of what makes your team better in August and September and we can revisit that, and then Lyle can parade around this podcasting I told you so, I told you so, I told you so. I was right. Ah wow.
Speaker 2: So I will be doing exactly that if Cole Young gets called up. I will say, though, if they're unsatisfied with what's gone on at third base by the trade deadline and Young still not up, like if cool Young gets up, for example, tail end of September, if the Mariners are making a playoff push, you see Cole Young get up similar to how some other young high prospects have gotten up that way in the past, Like remember Xander Bogart's got up really late in his rookie year and was on the playoff roster. Even junior Cameron Aro for the Rays last year is one of the top prospect and all of baseball got up really late and was on the postseason roster for Tampa last year. You might see something like that with Cole Young. I was gonna say, if it's the trade deadline, you can't trade for a bat and you need a solution, I think we might be looking at Tyler Lockley before we see Cole Young. And I mean by that I'm not banking this. I'm not banking on this happening. But if you want to speculate theories for why ty France is starting to not see third base reps but have some buzz around him playing more third base again, it's that Locklear is a first baseman and man Oman does he crush baseball. So if they think the offense is gonna need a spark in July or August, you might see Lockley out because that's a college bat who's already been in Double A is going to start back in Double A. And if he hits the way everybody thinks he's gonna hit, he may be up mid season.
Speaker 1: What kind of numbers would you need to see from Cole Young to feel comfortable with him being on the big league roster this year? Like not like not out of need, not out of force, need not out of twenty twenty one on Jared Keln to call up and save the day on the big league roster, only for him to struggle all season. Like if you were to feel comfortable calling Cole Jung up from Double A because you feel like he's ready, what numbers do that? What does that look like?
Speaker 2: So AKA, the Mariners have legitimately had their hand force. They say this guy cannot be in the miners anymore. He needs to help the big league club win games. I would say one forty one fifty WRC plus has to be hitting three hundred or above.
Speaker 1: Probably it's got to be better. Like he's had good numbers in the minor leagues. He would need to, I would think, need to exceed those numbers this season in the worst hitting environment he'll play in period in Arkansas. Yeah, and you know his it would be right now. His minor league numbers, despite the four hundred on base percentage, the OPS has been anywhere from eight hundred to eight fifty and in the minor leagues that's not a one forty one to fifty WRC plus, so especially not in Double A, it's going to be need to be a little bit higher than that for us to feel more comfortable with him coming up. It's possible. Wouldn't put wouldn't wouldn't put it past him. He's as talented as could be, But for the time being, seems unlikely. And I like your locklier thing like at third base, that seems like more of a realistic option. So we'll have to see. It's up to the Mariners to decide what they're going to do here coming down the stretch in twenty twenty four, if they really need somebody in that spot. Okay, next question comes from Ellie at Try and Takeover. She sent us this on Instagram. The question is, if you had to choose a career outside of sports media, what would you choose.
Speaker 2: This made my skin crawl because we've talked about this on the podcast. But I just hated school with a burning passion. I wasn't like the disruptive kid in class or anything like that. But I wasn't exactly attentive either, because I was so bored all the time. All I wanted to do was talk about sports. So here we are. If I have to pick another career, what I came up with was probably taking the route of going into baseball operations, which is, we have a couple of friends who are in that field now and really like it and really enjoy it. I think if I wasn't talking about sports, it'd probably be that, because then you're still around baseball all the time. You're around the field, you're around teams, you're you know, you're looking into numbers, you're just around baseball, and you're living and breathing baseball. I think if I wasn't in sports media, it would probably be that, but it would still have to be something in sports.
Speaker 1: You don't see any possible thing outside of sports that you could do, Like would be would you own a gym? Could you own a gym?
Speaker 2: Maybe? But like then you're getting into I guess we've honed some skills in with this podcast that I probably previously never really thought we'd have to have, like having a little bit of marketing skill and sales skills like those weren't like those are things we do with this podcast that I didn't really think i'd ever need back when we were in college. But I think it's another level when you talk about owning land property, like that's a lot work. That'd be great. But I mean I've thought about the whole like would you be a personal trainer? Thing Like, like I don't know, I feel like.
Speaker 1: You could do that diet. Do you think you could do like be a dietitian because your diet's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but I feel like I've learned so much just from other people, Like I feel like I've learned just from kind of watching YouTube videos and seeing what other people do. I don't know about dietitian. Maybe I would say more likely like something involving because like I wouldn't say I'm some like fitness guru who goes around and like does a bunch of group classes and things like that. I kind of just do my own thing, Like maybe i'd do someone on one sessions with people, but I'd say that's much much further down the totem pole. If I don't know, baseball didn't exist or something like that. So maybe, like I guess, I could see myself in like a real other alternate verse doing that and being somewhat satisfied with it. But I would say more likely than not, it's gonna be in sports.
Speaker 1: Interesting, you know, I would say the same. I have a very different answer. I'm not sure if I've talked about this on the podcast. If I wasn't gonna go into journalism and focus on sports in college, I wanted to be in tech. I wanted to be I wanted to be a computer science major. That stuff always really interested me in high school. Funny thing is it's probably good I didn't. I don't know. I don't know. I don't quite know if I would have cut it. Do you want to guess what my SAT score was on the on the AP computer science class? Do you want to guess?
Speaker 2: I'm sure it was higher than my Well, I didn't take AP computer science, but I'm sure your SAT score was probably higher than mine.
Speaker 1: No, not SAT. What my the AP Computer Sciences like? One through five? You want to guess what the score was?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought I did great I thought I killed it. I thought I studied my ass off. I I thought I nailed the test and I got a one. And I was sitting there on my computer just like flabbergasted at the score. I'm like, how is that possible? I got a one. I was kind of pissed off that class was about us, hard of a high school class that I had ever had that in chemistry. But I actually enjoyed the computer science. I like, I enjoy building things, especially like on the lap, like on a laptop, and tinkering around and sort of trying new things, which you know correlates into say video editing and creating content for this podcast, but in a different sense for computer science. So I was thinking that computer science would be a cool path to go down. Didn't end up happening. I'm obviously sitting here talking about sports with my journalism degree instead. But I thought that would have been cool. Now that I'm an adult, I feel like something travel related, something that would allow me to travel more than I do right now, I think would be a path. I don't exactly know what that would be. Lao floated the idea of a flight attendant in theory. A flight attendant sounds great. The problem is the customer service part. I don't know if I have the patience for that, dealing with other people that much, especially on a plane, like stuck in a metal tube with a bunch of three hundred strangers for hours on end when they're hungry and tired and antsy and I was crying babies, and who knows what will happen. Maybe the door will fly off on the plane as well, and you have to deal You have to deal with that as well. It's like, yeah, I don't quite know if that would be it a like a pilot sounds cool. The problem is the steps to being a pilot is a huge, huge pain in the ass, and it is so expensive to become to get all those flight hours to become a pilot, especially a commercial pilot. Man, I don't know if I could, I if I would have the wherewithal to get through all of that. So that I guess that's my complicated answer. Tech then something travel related.
Speaker 2: I honestly have three answers to that, because there's a few follow ups. Number one, TJ. Everybody, as you can tell, makes really fiscally responsible decisions. He decided not to go into tech and be in sports journalism.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well so if I think about this, it's one industry that pays extremely well. But now I just laid a shit ton of people off, so you know, I would actually it's I'm still at least gainfully employed in this. If I was in tech right now, I could be unemployed. So at this very moment, though, I would have pretty goo unemployment benefits, I would say, so, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's fair. My other two one to the pilot thing, I mean, you should ask my brother about it, because I mean, my brother has his pilot's license and all that flies planes. But to your point, it took them a long time, and like you said, it's a lot hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of hours really expensive. Again, I don't know if it's like the piloting specifically, but more of just like how I end up at the destination if I'm gonna, like, you know, I scroll on TikTok and I see these pilots documenting like, oh, yeah, I just hopped to Australia. That was our international flight. Now I get to spend three days here. It's like, oh that sounds pretty cool. And it's all paid for and work related, and you get to see the world for your job, and I think that's pretty cool. And you can, yeah, I mean you still have like a home base, you still have a house and live somewhere with the family and all that stuff, but you also get the plus of going out on the road and hitting all these spots and super cool, super cool. And that was kind of one of the reasons I got into sports, because like, once you make it to the top level, you get to travel all over the place for sporting events and such. Haven't made it there yet, I haven't. I've the farthest I've gone on the road for a sporting event is down the road to Eugene. That's it. But we're working up, we're taking taking baby steps.
Speaker 2: Well, by the time this podcast is out, that'll change. You're traveling to Arizona technically true.
Speaker 1: That is true. Yeah, that is true. So you know, one step at a time. It is still a little bit, a little bit early, but you know, we'll make it early.
Speaker 2: But like I said, like obviously long term, we hope to do a lot more stuff with this if it keeps you know, if it keeps building up and everything, like like we said, I think it'd be pretty cool to go to the winter meetings a lot, and yeah, keep going back to spring training and whatever else could kind of pop up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I mean I have a better one. If they send the Mariners to say like Japan, Korea or the UK or I think France, they might play game in France or something whatever. I know, No, you're not a huge international traveler, but if you know, if we're making the moolah by then like, let's go.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest for that. I would. I would do it because it would probably be a pretty cool experience to see the Mariners in a different place.
Speaker 1: And I think I could change your mind on travel at that point once we actually go experience it and you put a smile on your face and you like, actually, TJ, I think that's a good idea. We should do this more.
Speaker 2: All right, last thing I will say, and then we'll move on to the next question. But standardized tests, to your point about taking the SAT are not only are they the worst, but they're so outdated, like so much the school system just outdated as a whole. And maybe I'm biased because I was an atrocious test taker aka like I mean, I didn't get like a one hundred on the SATs or anything ridiculous like that. I don't even think you can get a score that low. But I just wasn't, you know, getting flying colors scores on standardized tests. So and I wasn't good at taking them.
Speaker 1: So and there's all sorts of problems with standardized tests too, like for someone to have a test score that high, the amount of money, Like it all boils back to money, funny enough with everything everything in this country, but like the amount of hours and like tutoring and training you have to do to get those high SAT scores, Like not everyone can achieve that. Not everyone has the time to do that, so like it kind of sucks. And notice how like during the pandemic when they just canceled the SATs, the world didn't crumble, right, funny Or.
Speaker 2: Some people are just naturally really good test takers. But I certainly was not one of those people. And also at least for me, I can tell you I have learned so much more in my lifetime just watching YouTube videos and learning that way, like watching in a shortened form and then doing rather than sitting for weeks and weeks and weeks on end at a desk being attempted to learn something I didn't care about, and then paper plops on your desk and say take a test on it. So yeah, anyway, I could go on a rant about that forever, but change the schooling system. Okay, next question, another fun question. This one comes from I want to make sure I get the name right, because we got it. I don't want to say late, but it was like we found it a little bit later on we're like, oh, we should talk about this one. This is from Orla McCaffrey. This is on Instagram. She says, best spot to watch the sunset in Seattle. What's yours?
Speaker 1: So I have a great spot for this. It is on Queen Anne. Here's my directions to get there. The park's name itself is called Marshall Park, So Marshall Park is right next to Carry Park. Everyone knows. I assume if you're a Seattle light or your Seattle area person like Lyle, or you visit Seattle and you need to go to a sightseeing spot, I'm pretty certain you know what Kerry Park is. Kerry Park is on Queen Ane Hill, overlooks the skyline, overlooks the Puget Sound. You can see the ferries, you can see the Olympic Mountains. It's nice. It looks you know, southwest ish more south than west, but it looks southwest. And I'd say the sunset from Kerry Park is fine. But if you're at Carry Park and then you turn right on High Island Drive which is where Kerry Park is on, and you walk all the way to the end of the street. Walking west, you get to Marshall Park. And Marshall Park is right next to Eighth Place, I believe, And Eighth Place runs right along this just top edge of queen An Hill in the just nicest houses ever that are worth multi millions are up there right and they're all gated off. But there's this really nice walkway too along this along Eighth Place and you can look straight out west you see the Olympic Mountains and you see the sunset there. I took front of the pod Victor Wren there after our freshman year of college. We walked up there during the sunset and it was gorgeous. You can see everything. You can see the sun like sort of fitting in between the mountains and Magnolia, which is the hill across from where Queen Anne Hill is, and it's it's spectacular. I think it's a fantastic spot to see a sunset, little niche and you know, again not the most popular park on that street, but if you want a sunset, I couldn't recommend that more. I think it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never been. I've now I have another spot to check out because I've certainly been to Kerry Park but never never Marshall Park. Yeah. Victor who We've mentioned him before. He does like he made our YouTube background. He's done a few different things to help us out where he does a bunch of video editing and that's his job and he's really good at it. So that is what he does. No, he does well, he does a variety of stuff with under Armour, I know. But yeah, So anyway, my favorite spot to watch a Seattle sunset is it's got to be gas Works Park. Maybe that's a cliche answer and a basic answer, but I know you see the water at Carry Park, but the fact you're literally right on the water at gas Works and like especially when it gets to night time, like after the sunsets and you have the skyline kind of like lighting up the water and you got a perfect view of the space Needle and the Columbia Tower. I love Yas Works Park. I think that, especially on a nice day, love that view. Like Harry Park's great, personally, I like gas Works better.
Speaker 1: I love gas Works too. I mean that's a spot for for us Seattle kids. I like all the time that we would be at sunset. Wise, I was thinking, like the sun gets kind of blocked out there, which is what I was thinking. I know, it lights up the sky and looks nice, but I'm just I was just thinking, I'm like the sun kind of tucks behind Queen Anne when when it's going down at that point, because Queen Anne is directly west of gas Works Park and it would drop behind there. But for sunset, still a very good place to go, especially during the summer. It's warm, you can see the whole skyline, you can see all the boats out on Lake Union. It's super super super nice, and uh yeah, it's it's a good spot throughout I mean through the years. I mean, I'm I'm just thinking when I went there during during high school and we do all sorts of hooligan shit, I'll just leave it like that at uh at gas Work Park, and then you know how it's sort of grown over the years and still still one of the best spots to go to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be on the lookout for TJ of all people. That's how we should put it.
Speaker 1: Now, you ever, have you ever been up on the gas structure, like climbed up it. No, yeah, I have once. Well, there you go. They do some they do. It's they made it a little harder, I believe now.
Speaker 2: But I think it's gated.
Speaker 1: No, it's an interesting it is. Well, yeah, you got to find a way through it. It's always has been gated off. You just got to find a way through it. Okay, Okay, so it's a but like the view, I'll say, the view up there at night is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that honestly might even be more it the sunset, Like after the sun goes down and it's it's dark, but you have the whole skyline lighting up. Yeah. I love it. So yeah, No, those those are those are good places to watch a sunset. Okay, I'll throw it back to you now to get through some more of these questions. But I will say the next view are definitely mariners related. I thought the last we got were some fun non mariners related ones. But it's a mix of everything in the mailbag.
Speaker 1: The next one comes from Evanhole Evanholmes dot seventeen on Instagram. The question is who will be the Mariner's most valuable hitter not named Julio Rodriguez.
Speaker 2: I went with Mitch Garver for this. As everybody knows, the DH position has been a disaster since Nelson Cruz left, like and I don't think that's an unfair statement. Last year it was a turnstile constantly. They couldn't find a solution there. Now they've got one. And not only do they have a solution at DH, but it's a solution at DH for a guy that put up a one thirty eight WRC plus last year. I know it was in a shortened sample size, but that was higher than Julio's, that was higher than JP's, that was higher than the rest of the team. Mitch Garver is vitally important to the Mariners in twenty twenty four and beyond because if you have a true DH, you can plug in there almost every day. Who's providing pop, getting on base, striking out. This lineup is gonna look so much different. I will say ty Frantz is probably a sleeper for this, especially if he bounces back. But who's who's my pick? Non Julio Wise to be the most impactful Garber And.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go off a similar train of thought, but at a different position, And I think Jorge Polanco first off, because if we're thinking, like literally, like who is gonna be the most valuable hitter besides Julio Rodriguez, Well, it's probably gonna be one of the guys hitting behind him. You mentioned one of the guys hitting behind him, Mitch Garverer. Another guy who's gonna be hitting behind him is Jorge Polanco. Jorge Polanco, based off the past production over the last four years at second base, I mean, I would imagine, if he's healthy this year, is gonna be like one of the most valuable players on the roster just because of the production at that position in the past. Like what happens if the Mariner's gonna one to twenty five w RC plus at second base after years of like an eighty to seventy w RC plus at second base, I can't, Like, it is unbelievable the amount of value that carries on this roster. I was thinking that if JP were to replicate or even exceed his twenty twenty three season. In twenty twenty four, that's an option now. As of right now, I don't think that's gonna happen for JP. So instead I'm gonna count on more of a progress progress from Jorge Polanco playing a full healthy season with the Mariners this year, instead of anticipating JP is going to set a new career high after blowing his old status quo for offense out of the water last season. So I think you and I took similar trains of thought to arrive at different answers, which I think is good and shows you the depth of this roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look for how much second base and DH the DH spots have struggled the last few years for the Mariners. Think about what happens at both Garb and Polanco that well. I mean, think about the Mariners missed the playoffs by two games last year, They won eighty eight games and had virtually no offensive production from second base until Josh Rojas got there, and then virtually nothing for a lot of the year at the dhpot. In spurts, you had it with Mike Ford. Imagine if you have Jorge Polanco and Mitch Garver both on the field and put up a one twenty to one to twenty five WRC plus. That is a team that, again, you you heard me on a previous show recently talk about the Mariners can win the West if those guys do that, and the rest of the lineup hits like why not think about how much better that makes your team? It makes it monumentally better. So, oh and let me add this last thing too. When when TJ talks about the fact that he doesn't know if JP's going to repeat what he did last season, I think all TJ means by that is, maybe he doesn't put up a one thirty four WRC plus again, he could still be from one twenty to one twenty five, And in fact, I think that's right where he will be, which, by the way, that's a really good season. Just maybe it's not one thirty four again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just just think about this way. And the previous career high for JP at before last season was one o three and then you jump up to one thirty four. That's it's a pretty big jump. And usually that is that's about as big of a jump as you can get an offense in a season. So now if you were to jump from one thirty to one sixty five. Then you and I are going to sit here and reconsider in season.
Speaker 2: He does that JP might win the MVP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, win the MVP, and well the question wouldn't be besides Julio would be besides JP.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. All right. Next question another fun one. This comes from WB dot Ryan thirty six on Instagram. He says, who is your favorite player on the Mariners that isn't actually that good? So we took the approach of this and picking an all time Mariner that fits the mold of this question. And there are a lot of answers you can go with, but I'll flip it to you first.
Speaker 1: Because I was trying to think of like a current version of the may A current Mariner who I loved that wasn't actually that good. And then I'm like, well, all the Mariners that weren't actually that good end up being like essentially Abe Toro, who I don't like. So that doesn't work out. Do you remember the first two months of the Nick Franklin era in twenty thirteen? It was dreamy?
Speaker 2: Of course, I remember the Nick Franklin era.
Speaker 1: Man when he came up, I mean, I thought that dude was going to be an All Star like he was. He was stunned. Sat I remember me, my brother and my dad sat at the kitchen table that year and we were thinking, Okay, who is going to be the next Mariners All Star infielder? Is it going to be Nick Franklin, Brad Miller or Kyle Seger's the That's the level of discussion we were having about the early stages of Nick Franklin's career with the Mariners in twenty thirteen. And he had nearly an eight hundred ops as a second baseman in the first half of twenty thirteen, and then in the second half he hit under two hundred essentially, and then eventually got left off the roster, bounced around for a few years in the big leagues before retiring. But his early stages were amazing. I thought, I was like, wow, this is well. The Mariners don't get good players like this.
Speaker 2: Do you remember just the pattern that Mariner's shortstop prospects had for a while, because that happened with Nick Franklin. Then Brad Miller tore it up for half a year when he got up and to be fair Miller, I mean Miller's had a ten year big league career, and he's had some good spurts when he was with the Mariners, but then Chris Taylor came up, had half a really good season and then didn't really do anything. And Kittel came up and had half a really good season, and obviously they traded him away. He's been great with the Diamondbacks. But that was a trend for a while, and it's all started with Nick Franklin, who was a huge prospect unfortunately didn't do much.
Speaker 1: HM shocker wow. I wonder how they evaluated him. Were Jack Sie's the checkpoints is batting average and RBIs.
Speaker 2: The man literally said home runs and RBI's awesome, like Dick Franklin's.
Speaker 1: My answer, though he was that was that was to say special first half of twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Mine's a deep cut. But I've talked about him on here before briefly. Carlos Pagero loved that. Dude, absolutely loved him, which didn't make much sense because he didn't have any sort of big league career. But you know what, those Mariner teams in the early twenty tens were so bad that you had to have something to hang on to. That was fun and gave you energy, and you know what it was for me. Every time Carlos Paguero stepped to the plate, you knew, once in every twenty year or so at bats, he was going to absolutely pummel a baseball. And you know, there were some spurts where he did just about that. Honestly, maybe it was less than every once every twenty at bats, but even still, you knew once in a blue moon he was going to absolutely rocket a baseball into orbit, and he would. You would see him hit tape measure bombs every now and then. Love the guy. He was big, he was strong, everything, so never did much. But I'll tell you what, what was I looking forward to in the early twenty tens. It wasn't winning games. It was seeing Carlos S. Paguero at thatts.
Speaker 1: I had another idea for this question, which was Russell Branyan. But he was actually kind of good for the Mariners at points, so I don't know if he would have really qualified.
Speaker 2: No, he had one big year that was an nine, So yeah, yeah, I don't think Brandon qualifies.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a thought. He was a lot of fun to watch overall as a baseball player, probably not great but at least what the Mariners. He was so didn't qualify, but shout out to Nick Franklin. He's on my Mount rushmore of what could have been alongside Brad Miller Dustin Acley. Oh, they all played on the same team together. Funny, funny, how that works out. Okay, before we get to our next question, let's hear a word from our friends at Betterhelp. Is something interfering with your happiness or preventing you from achieving your goals, regardless if you have a clinical mental health issue like depression or anxiety, or you're just a human who lives in this world who's going through a hard time. Therapy can give you the tools to approach your life in a very different way. And that's why I'm excited to tell you about today's sponsor, Betterhelp. Betterhelp's mission is to make therapy more affordable and more accessible, and this is an important mission because finding a therapist can be really hard, especially when you're limited to options in your area. Betterhelp is a platform that makes finding a therapist easier because it's online, it's remote, and by filling out a few questions, better help can match you to a professional therapist and as little as a few days. It's easy to sign up and get matched with a therapist. This is a link in our description. It's Betterhelp dot com slash Marine Layer Pod. That's better HLP dot com slash Marine Layer Pod. Clicking that link helps support this podcast, but also gets you ten percent off your first month of Better Help, so you can connect with a therapist and see if it helps you. So, if you're struggling, consider online therapy with Better Help. Click the link in the description or visit Betterhelp dot com slash Marine Layer Pod. Next question coming from Tyler D. Millard on Instagram. Which players do you think make the opening day lineup and how many of them will still be here in October?
Speaker 2: So projecting the opening day lineup is gonna be a little bit tough because obviously there's some platoons involved. Now, if you were to assume that Brian Bao or Lucas Giolito was going to start opening Day for the Red Sox, you would assume it would be some left handed bats, So it would probably be Rojas over Ris if Arias is even healthy, it would probably be don Canzone over Mitch Hanneger. But the starters are all the same like Hannager is gonna get playing time, Arias is gonna get playing time if he's healthy. Again. Platoons take a factor into this still here in October, unless there's injuries, which of course is possible, like if a player gets injured and is not on the field in October because they're on the il, that's always a possibility. But in terms of being out of the organization, I don't know if there's many guys that are currently projected to be in the opening day lineup that would be off the team. I don't think there's that many. Maybe the one guy is is Aris at third base, like for example, if he's not playing well, or if he you know, is hurt for a while and the team tries to move on and do something else or something like that, because again there is a chance he starts on the el if you can't throw the ball, maybe him. But I don't think there's a lot. I think most of the guys that they've traded for they already have in house. They're envisioning as being four pieces of the team.
Speaker 1: I think opening day lineup would be for the most part the same, barring and upgraded the deadline. But if I'm gonna say, overall opening day roster, would the number six players six different players make sense? I was thinking about it this way. There's gonna be turnover in the bullpen. There is every single season that, especially if this current iteration of the Mariners, there's been like three to four guys at least that have cycled out over the course of the season in the bullpen. So there's those three to four one starter potentially it could be Emerson Hancock in there over Let's say Brian who either gets hurt or his reaches his innings limit and they slow and slow him down a little bit. So there's like one starter, and then I would say one player on the bench once you reach October that could be swapped out. It could be just it could be as simple as a Sam Haggerty being put in there, or it could be when you add a position player and you bump, say Demo down and that bumps the next bench player down to something like that. As of right now, especially now that they have four outfielders they feel confident in, that's probably the outfield probably stays the same, and the infield as of right now probably stays the same. Sans Urius who could get swapped out or even like you know, there could be some world Josh Rojas really doesn't do that well this year, and if they really need to make a push, they would consider it. But at this very point, more unlikely than not. The only position player well I could truly see being added in season would be a backup centerfielder because to be honest, they don't have a backup center fielder right now to back up Julio, so that would that would be like one guy. Otherwise, it's just kind of hard to see at this moment.
Speaker 2: That's actually a good point. If Julio, heaven forbid, goes on the IL at some point this year, or just has off days or is day to day for a few days, yeah, who is playing center field? Like I would say maybe, or I was gonna say, if it's an actual situation where they have to make a roster move, you can call Kate Marlow up. He could certainly play some centerfield. But the if Julio's day to day for example, or has an off day, I don't really know of this outfield group who's playing center field. I mean, Mitch isn't, dom is in. Really I don't really think is I don't know, maybe it's demo, maybe it's not. It might be demo or yeah, they probably have to cull Kato or or maybe some odd Taylor, right, yeah, potentially yep, somebody, somebody, but somebody who's probably not on the opening twenty six man roster. Mm hmm, yeah that is. I mean, obviously you're on. Most teams do not find positions to back up their superstars like intently, but you do have to have somebody that can stand out there and play some competent defense out there. Julio's gonna have off days or again, hopefully never hits the IL, but if you were to then then yeah, that's a good point. Okay, we got two fun questions to wrap this one up. The next one comes from Eternal Bushett on Instagram. He says favorite ballpark food.
Speaker 1: Hmm. I had to think like long and hard about this one only to come to the most basic answer ever, Just like I like a good cheeseburger at a stadium, I think stadiums can do all. Every different stadium you go to can have a different version of something you like, whether it be a different company that makes the burger or different style of burger. Depending on what city you're in. For example, I think of t Mobile Park, like Kid Valley. If we're thinking chains, I think His Good Burgers. But if you want more of a niche chain, Burger Great State. When they were in the ballpark, I thought had the best food in the park. Unfortunately they're not there anymore. They were down there in the pen in the corner behind the masses. I thought that was my favorite meal while they were there, but they're unfortunately not there anymore. So I think a burger. I think it's the most most easy to replicate throughout a stadium while also getting some uniqueness city to city, ballpark to ballpark. But overall, my favorite thing to consume it a ballpark is beer because there's a lot of beer, and there's a lot of different beer all over the country. So I think that would be the easiest one for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you have a go to beer you usually get at the ballpark?
Speaker 1: Well, I like the Mariners value beers. I think that is an incredible concept in a ballpark, especially you know, we're in our mid twenties. We don't if we can not shell out fourteen dollars for a beer or like we were at City Field a year and a half ago, or my brother and I each spent sixteen dollars on a tall Boy. It just it' said, that's a bit much. I would rather go like value beer, where you can buy two at a time and you can get two six dollar beers for twelve dollars and take them both back to your seat and enjoy and they're throughout the game. You don't have to go during happy hour anything like that. I do like body a Rubens Beer, Ruben's Brewing and Ballard shout out Ballard. So you know, support the support the home neighborhood a little bit, and it's good. But there's a lot of good options. T Mobile has among the best beer options in the in all Major League Baseball. So it's a it's a real treat to be able to be able to do that. So that's my answer, not just beer.
Speaker 2: T Mobile Park has maybe the best food options in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: Like it's up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a I would say. Okay, so my favorite all time ballpark food is Dippin' dots, which I mean that's what I always got when I was a kid. Funny story. I mean, I mean, if you just want to peek behind the curtain me growing up going to Mariners games. I don't know why we ever established this and put it in place, but it was something we always did growing up. That always in the sixth inning, my brother and I would usually go like with my parents, and we go get Dippin' Dots because we loved them. We wanted to get desserted the game. That's what we would do, and I feel like I usually got cookies and cream Dippin' dots, although I would often venture out into some other flavors too. So all time favorite food at the ballpark, I'd say Dippin' dots. Favorite food at t Mobile Park, especially that I've tried over the last couple of years. There's a couple of sandwiches from Marination that I think are really good, Like that barbecue pork sandwich I had was really good, good choice, or that barbie it was early in the year. It was those games in April you and I were at. I tried that barbecue brisket Casadia that was down at Edgar's that was really good. I would say one of those two foods would be my favorite Team Mobile Park food.
Speaker 1: Stadium wise, Edgars has some really good sandwiches. I forget what they're called, just blanking.
Speaker 2: That was really good. Again, that barbecue brisket Casadio is really.
Speaker 1: Good, and like Ballard Pizza Company always has really good food at t Mobile Park. I like that. And there's some more creative options too, like Charlie's Cheese Steaks is also pretty solid for ballpark fair And then Moto Pizza I think is is like like you had it, It's pretty good, just very expensive in the ballpark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's here's the problem with Moto Pizza. It's really expensive. It's always a super long line, and it's it's fine. I don't I'm not gonna say it tastes like Little Caesars or something like. It's probably a step up from that, but it's especially when you have East Coast roots like the two of us have and you get accustomed to having like New York pizza and stuff, it just doesn't really compare Moto Pizza. So I'd usually venture out into other options at the ballpark, probably the Motto Pizza. But I did get it to try and try it.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure the brick and mortar place is a little bit better than the stadium one, like give them credit. I know their brick and mortar place probably still is a month long weight line to get it. But if you can't even like match Pagliachi, then like you probably shrug your shoulders. And I would just in the ballpark rather just go to Ballard Pizza Company because it's it's probably better than Motal Pizza and you could get your pizza way faster, so you can you can get.
Speaker 2: The cal zone like c al all capital letters, you can get that. Or you mentioned Charlie's cheese steaks. So early in the year, TJ and I were doing some food reviews. We kind of stopped doing them as the season went on, but TJ got one of those cheese steaks and I remember he was like he near got it all over himself trying to try it. It was huge, it was filled up, and he was like trying to get the big bite in without spilling on himself. Yeah, like you get a lot of food if you go there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a mess, And I mean didn't ty Fung in Theory is probably maybe the best overall restaurant they have in there, but not like the ballpark version of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if I was gonna go to dn't typhoon, you probably just go to the restaurant. I feel like, like my family and I used to so that was always my brother's spot to go for his birthday. He loves it, so we would go at least once a year for his birthday. So I feel like if I was going to go, id just go to the restaurant, then go to the ball right right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good point. Yeah, I can't think of I'm trying to think of anything in like any other ballpark would have that could top what I chose, like off of the Hamburger point. Apparently, like the Yankee Stadium, like Aaron Judge, Burger is supposed to be unbelievable, like yeah, wagou patties, like it looks unbelievable, and if I'm sure I took a bite of it, I don't think anything else could top it across the country. Unfortunately, again, they sell one hundred of them per game, or ninety nine of them per game. I think it might be ninety nine. It's ninety nine, Yeah, ninety nine of them per game. So yeah, it's a little probably a little difficult to get your hands on. But I would say that that would probably end up be the number one thing if you could, if you could manage it, I couldn't think of anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the last thing and then we can get to our final question. I remember we got recommended when we get our cross country drive from Seattle to the Cape League. Before our second summer calling baseball games in the Cape Cod League, we went to go see the Pirates in Pittsburgh at PNC and people were raving about that primanty bro sandwich, Like, what was the hype? I tried it. I didn't know it was very good.
Speaker 1: That was so tasteless. Again, I think I wanted to would prefer going to the brick and mortar over the P and C Park location. I feel like the brick and mortar place would be good. But you know, it was a sandwich filled with French fries. It was just like a load of carbs. I didn't think the meat was very good either, So I yeah, I'm with you. I was like very disappointed in that sandwich. I had my expectations set a lot higher. I've had some very good sandwiches in my life. Unfortunately that was not one of them. So I would if I'm ever back in Pittsburgh. I'd like to try the actual place and then give it a fair review. Yeah, instead of a rain delayed French fry and whatever meat sandwich? Like, do you remember what the meat was in there? I don't.
Speaker 2: Was it not just check in or something?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I couldn't even tell it, Like felt like a sausage patty.
Speaker 2: But yeah, for those who don't know, Primanty Bros. Is one of the Pittsburgh staples. It's a sandwich shop. They do some really unique sandwiches. Again, they put French fries in a lot of them. But yeah, at the ballpark, eh, could have been a lot better. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, let's wrap it up with our final question here of this mail bag. This is asked by I gotta look here because it's very small, Eric Schultz. He left us a comment on YouTube. What is your favorite baseball and non baseball movie?
Speaker 2: Favorite baseball movie? The problem is I love all of them. There's gonna be so many I leave out. If I have to pick one, it's probably Moneyball, But I legitimately love every baseball movie that's been made or just about so Moneyball is my favorite. I will say for those who haven't seen Eight Men Out. I could not recommend it enough because when people think of baseball, Mount Rushmore's Eight Men Out never gets put on there because you have the Sandlot, you have a league of their own, you have Major League, you had like, there's so many other movies that come to mind first for people, but Eight Men Out is and all those movies I just mentioned are great, but Eight Men Out really tells the story of the nineteen nineteen White Sox and how they threw the World Series and then there was you know, the trials for it, and then they hired their the first Commissioner of Baseball and then they get banned from baseball. It's it's super interesting and I think it's really well done. But for whatever reason, it's not one of those Mount Rushmore baseball movies everybody thinks of so favorites Moneyball. But if you need a baseball movie to go watch and you potentially haven't seen it, I recommend Eight Men Out big time.
Speaker 1: So my favorite baseball move. So, actually, before I get to my answer, what's your favorite non baseball movie?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, there's two ways I could go about this. So I love a lot of really stupid movies, Like when people ask me what my favorite movie is, It's probably either Happy Gilmore or Step Brothers, which maybe is right up my alley. But if you want to get away from that, as you know, as people who listen to this podcast, No, TJ and I both really love Star Wars, So I mean the Star Wars movies, the Marvel movies, especially those Avengers movies like those are probably them. If I had to pick one Star Wars movie might be Episode three, Episode three, or episode five, so one of those. But now turn it back to you.
Speaker 1: So my favorite baseball movie is Moneyball because I love the front office aspect of it and it's just really well done, even though they kind of, you know, left out the fact the A's had the two thousand and two al MVP. But I digress and in Asaiah in the best rotation in baseball anyways, So that was a good movie. I thought it was really well done. Jonah Hell, Brad Pitt phenomenal, great great job. Non baseball movie is I'm thinking between three. First one is episode three, Revenge of the Sith the Star Wars one of the best movies ever. Acting is excellent. I could recite a lot of the lines. It's like deep, detailed, emotional, like the most fleshed out Star Wars film there is. It peaked then went downhill after Unfortunately, next up another Star Wars movie, Rogue one, one of like one of the most underrated movies. I feel like ever the story is great, the cinematics of it. It takes the older Star Wars stories, like the story building and the and the thought process and the character the character development and all of that, and then paired it with the cinematics and the sort of visual greatness of the new movies, and it was the perfect combination, like The Death Star in four KHD fucking incredible, amazing. So and in Once you like catch up on all the Star Wars lore, and you watch the cartoons, and you watch say like and Or and all this stuff, and you get tied into all the other characters they feature in that film, like Saw Gerrera and Cassie and Andor and others, and continues on and on and on and on. Super cool. And then the last one, if I want like a laugher, Caddyshack, Like the I will argue the most quotable movie of all time is caddy Shack. If you sit me down to watch Caddy Shack. I could probably quote the whole movie. You can like find a quote from the movie for every situation in real life. It's it is that funny, and that this is coming from someone who doesn't like old movies. That one is a classic and one of the best best ever.
Speaker 2: I'm taking happy yo more of a Caddy Shack. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard about Ty Burrell's uh Round of Golf with the Dalai Lama? It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Wow. The problem is, I mean, I really do need to sit down and watch Caddy Check again start to finish, because I've only seen it in parts. I need to watch it all the way through. But I was even trying to think of other movies for the two of us that we could even rattle off here, because I knew with the two of us it was gonna be sports movies, it was gonna be you know, comedies, and it was gonna be probably Star Wars. Like I mean, the only other ones that come to mind are probably other comedy movies, like I like Wedding Crashers a lot. I think that's a really good movie. That's a good I was trying to think about others that like that really kind of come to mind of of like, oh, what movies do I love to sit down and watch, But it's kind of it's kind of all in that realm for me at least.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, and the problem is with me lately, I just haven't watched enough good movies, like I haven't. I haven't watched enough movies period. Oppenheimer was amazing. I don't know if I would put it like way up there on my terms of the list. I need to watch it a few more times to solidly put it up there. And like it was, it's kind of like dramatic. I liked a little bit more like either sci fi or lighthearted movies for it to be that way instead of like a non fiction film like Oppenheimer was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Like something like that for example, or if they were to come out with a new Star Wars movie, I'd probably watch it. It probably won't be as good, but I bias, so it might be up there, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd probably watch it too. Yeah, I don't watch that many. I feel like Oscar type movies, and I probably should in the sense of like I saw arg Allile back and that was good, But I like those type of movies. I feel like I don't sit down and watch that much those ones that are you know, in Oscar nominations and people like go out of their way to sit down in the theater and really watch. I guess, like you, it's either lighthearted stuff or it's sci fi that I watch. But hey, just that's just who we are, I guess, right, mm hm. So yeah, well that was a really good round of mail bag questions. I gotta say, like, like round of applause to all our listeners and fans that send in some really good ones. Like we say, like we love answering Mariner's questions, and there's always gonna be a good handful of them included in these. But when people really kind of get out of the box and think hard about some creative questions for us, we always appreciate it because I think they spark some creative answers. Hell, the two of us sat here and debated for ten plus minutes or whatever it was about would would you corral all the all time great Mariners if it meant twenty years without a postseason drought? And we sat here debating it. So those questions are fun.
Speaker 1: That was Yeah, that was a fun one. Dog. I'm just telling you I want to relive two thousand and one again. Well I want it, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I have no memory of it, I mean not real memories of it. So yeah, I'd love to relive it, just not for twenty years without another postseason appearance. That's all. So shout out to all the listeners. Shout out to all the fans. You guys did a great job with these mailbags. When we keep doing mail bag seriously, keep them coming because these are really fun questions. With that, that'll just about wrap up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast. You guys know the drill. You want to listen to the full form podcast, make sure to download, rate and review five stars wherever you get your audio podcast. That's where you can and listen across all podcast platforms. If you're on YouTube where you're watching, like, comment and subscribe, and then follow us on social media. We're on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube shorts at Marine Layer Pod. That's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you