Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Tuesday. Hall of Famer Steve Young will join us. Coming up, come up with a new pole question. Super Bowl gets record viewing numbers one hundred twenty six million. It feels like it goes up every year. I'm thinking back maybe the last time that I worked with NBC and I was handing out this Super Bowl trophy, I think it was one hundred ten million. So it seems like it goes up every single year. I don't know if they've ever had a bad Super Bowl number. I don't know the last time it was under one hundred million. And this goes back to that there was Chiefs fatigue, but it didn't show up unless you tuned in because you wanted to see them lose. That's the only thing that I could factor in here, because the Eagles aren't a lovable National Store storyline. Although I think if you're looking at Saquon Barkley season and maybe Jalen hurts that that's a reason for you to go, all right, I want to see if they can win a Super Bowl here sake one Barkley. Considering what happened in the off season Giants kicking to the curb. We've devalued the running back. He has two thousand yards. You can make an argument he was the most valuable player on the Eagles and or in the league itself. But the whole Chief's fatigue. But watching because your chief dout is interesting. When's the last time it was under one hundred million fans for the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: PAULI, I've got the ratings and numbers for every year in the past fifty if from twenty eleven to twenty seventeen, it always was about one hundred and eleven million viewers. For whatever reason, twenty eighteen went down to one oh three, twenty nineteen down to ninety eight million, twenty twenty one down to ninety five million. That's the lowest in the past fifteen years. Then in the past's recovered big time. Last year was one hundred and four teen million two years ago. I sorry, it was one hundred and fourteen million. Last year was one hundred and twenty million. This year was rounding up one hundred and twenty seven million. I don't remember why the dip would be four years ago.
Speaker 2: When was the last time I handed out the trophy? I don't know if there was like a bump in those watching well post game boost we're looking for. Yeah, so this would have been Philadelphia, New England twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: Does that sound right?
Speaker 3: I got that as one hundred and four million, all right, no problems, okay. Then the big drop was after you laughed? Of course, what went down to ninety eight million?
Speaker 4: Okay? One of the reasons. I don't know who was handing out the trophy then, But it makes you feel better though, it does it does? I mean figure there'd be a little bit of a spike there if I'm handing out the trophy. Apparently not as much as I thought.
Speaker 2: ALRIGHTY eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it tp show Seaton whole question from hour one and what do we going to go with an hour two?
Speaker 5: Well, I find our one to be curious. Eagles chief super Bowl was memorable for it? Right now it's split down the middle between the Eagles defensive dominance and it not being memorable at all.
Speaker 6: I wonder why no one is thinking about the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Maybe there's Chiefs fatigue in our pole questions. He's fatigue. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe what's the pole question for hour two? I got another random one here from Todd with no kids? How would you feel about having to go to Disney World after winning a title?
Speaker 6: Interesting one.
Speaker 5: I'd be very excited about it. I love Mickey and the rides, the tradition, so I'll make the best of it. Will you feign enthusiasm and would but kind of dread it? Or it's the lamest place on earth?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 7: Dang?
Speaker 4: Jalen Hurts is engaged. He doesn't have kids, I don't think, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, going there by yourself, well, he wouldn't be by himself, he'd be people. It's not like he's just wandering around going you know where's It's a small world. I wanna ride on that ride, yes, Todd.
Speaker 8: I just remember Nancy Karradan being in that parade.
Speaker 9: See her.
Speaker 8: You can hear her and read her lips saying like, how lame this is?
Speaker 6: Can I get out of here?
Speaker 4: You're right? I forgot all about that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That uh, that's what people are reading lips. They're got Nancy. We know what you're saying there.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I.
Speaker 3: Think going to Disney World without kids sounds refreshing twenty two dollars, chicken fingers, all the kids freaking out.
Speaker 4: It's it could get messy down there. It's just the kids melt I mean it's hot. There's lines.
Speaker 2: I think the idea I've seen couples before where they're bringing their kids to Disney World because I have my broadcasting school in Orlando. So I'll get on a plane and you got everybody is in a great mood. Everybody is happy. This is wonderful. And then you see the return flight where mom and dad are miserable, kids are like crying, You're broke from all the money that you spend. It's like until the next time we do this, Yeah, pulling at.
Speaker 3: Least in Vegas, you have a chance to come out ahead. A chance, a low chance, but a chance.
Speaker 4: Eight seven seven three DP show yes, Marvin.
Speaker 10: Seeing the parents argue at one another like I'm ready to go. Yeah, how much we paid and them yelling at the kids and my wife and I we went there when I was at the Mothership. The discounts were amazing, So you go there, right, Yeah, So we would play a game, Hey, let's take a drink every time you see a meltdown.
Speaker 4: No matter who it is.
Speaker 10: Dang, you see a meltdown, you just take a drink.
Speaker 4: You had to be drunk.
Speaker 10: I had Shirley Temple, But how he use the bathroom?
Speaker 2: Now? Okay, By the way, Bridget Jones is back for a final chapter. Bridget Jones Matt about the boy renee Zelwigger stars in the Peacock original film, streaming February thirteenth. I see any of the other Bridget Jones, but I don't know if I have to see this one or do I have to Can I see this one or do I have to go back to the original there with Hugh Grant.
Speaker 3: Yes, Bridget Jones Diary two thousand and one, Bridget Jones The Edge of Reality two thousand and four, Bridge Jones Baby twenty sixteen, and now this one.
Speaker 4: I give him credit.
Speaker 2: Get a what five or six of these movies out of this? I mean, it's kind of the I don't know, the what if mission impossible, the rom coms of Mission impossible, Like there's five of them, and I think we need to talk to Tom Cruise and say Tom, let's stop with impossible. It is possible, Mission is really likely. Did you see we talked about Denzel Washington and the equalizer that he would wear black clothes because he was so heavy. Now he's gotten into religion and I think he's going to be a minister. And he says that he weighs one eighty. He was up to two fifty, so he's lost a lot of weight recently. Looks great, but he's not don't have to wear the If there's an equalizer for then it's gonna be a whole new Denzel Washington.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, Yeah, I'm looking at a picture. You're right.
Speaker 3: He looks way thinn her. The next equalizer should be brought to you by Ozepic.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want to accuse him of anything. No, we don't know that.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's just good living. He doesn't drink anymore. Yeah, yeah, so when he grabs that watch though, you're in trouble.
Speaker 2: Andy in Rhode Island, Hi, Andy, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Good morning?
Speaker 11: Dan, Dennis's going now, Marvin Prissy, Hey, guys, I was taken down by the flu, but I picked myself back up and I'm back again.
Speaker 12: And then I.
Speaker 11: Want to call him because I feel like there's a lot of haters towards Pandora and I can't. I'm not hand for that because with the effort that she put in, I feel that a lot of people should appreciate it because I don't see anyone else throwing their name and a ringer and guess what, I'm gonna up up the auntie and I'm gonna also be sent in mind. And I hope that the critics card come hard for me because I'm here for it. And you know what, if you if you love the show that that much, you should appreciate what everybody tries to put in because there's a lot of effort that goes into the show and for and honestly, the way I look at it, I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you, Eddie.
Speaker 2: I think we got the message there that you think Pandora's stat of the Day song sounded good, Marvin. For those who weren't with us last hour, Pandora sent in a stat of the Day song, stat.
Speaker 4: Of the day, stat of the day. We love your status day stat of the Day.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's just a little little taste of Pandora. It sounds almost burlesque like, like there might be some some tassels involved.
Speaker 4: Now that's what makes us so wonderful. Thank you, Tom. She's putting clothes on. Yes, yes, Marvin, I.
Speaker 10: Thought it was kind of Lilith Fairish, Lilith Fair.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: She's about to open up for the Indigo Girls.
Speaker 6: For the day's today.
Speaker 12: She has.
Speaker 4: J Lama, Jim and Iowa Hi Jim. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey Dan, first time, long time. So I think the Super Bowl will be the memorable for Chief Snowshell and Eagle's dominance. But the best line was my brother, a big Bear stand in Chicago about two thirds to the Super Bowl, texted me and said, this is what Mahomes would be playing like if he was drafted by the Bears.
Speaker 4: That is true. That is true. We've talked about that.
Speaker 2: Where you go, who's your coach, continuity, consistency with ownership, your coordinators, all of that, all of that matters with your success. You can be a good quarterback on a bad team and you know, trying to lift up a team. Did you see where Cam Newton he was on a podcast and he talked about when he first got drafted by Carolina. He said, you know I got drafted number one. I was going to a bad team or my you know, he was basically talking about who was on his team at the time.
Speaker 4: And I looked at the roster.
Speaker 2: If you look, he had Steve Smith on there, greg Olsen was on there. But I think Cam's quote is, you know, kind of like I went to a bad team.
Speaker 4: They had a bad record.
Speaker 2: I think the players that he had on that team that wasn't a bad team. That's why Caleb should have been better. Bear should have been better. They won seven games the previous year. It's not like they're Tennessee and you know what with Tennessee and you're starting to hear this now. This was brought up, I don't know, probably six weeks ago, maybe by a guest on the show, and I'm trying to remember who it was. Might have been Diana Russini who talked about, you know, maybe if the Jets don't bring Aaron Rodgers back, he has a place in Nashville, maybe he would want to play for the Tennessee Titans. And if that's the case, that feels like, hey, I still want to prove I can play. You're not going to be playing in you know, playoff games, and you're going to a team that has no identity whatsoever. But if you're Aaron Rodgers, do you want to do you have a chip on your shoulder that you want to play in showpie? Because here are the Jets. They're desperate for a quarterback. I think we can all agree on that, but they're not desperate enough to bring Aaron Rodgers back, which is the right decision. The question is how many teams would be interested in bringing in Aaron Rodgers for one year? If I'm Tennessee, Will Levis is not the answer at least doesn't appear to be. Do you want to bring in Aaron Rodgers for a one year? And I think that would be the interesting part of are you going to draft Travis Hunter? Are you going to trade down? You better bolster your offensive line if you're considering bringing in Aaron Rodgers because he'll be out of football by you know, week five. But I mean you talk about it's one thing to be bad and be boring or irrelevant. You know, there are teams that aren't good, but they're still interesting. If I if you're going to draft somebody, draft Travis Hunter. Now I'm going to watch if he's going to be a two way player and you know he might be an All Pro at defensive back.
Speaker 4: I think the two way player.
Speaker 2: I think that he's such a great athlete in college, you could get away with just being a great athlete.
Speaker 4: At wide receiver.
Speaker 2: In the NFL, you're going to have to run routes, and we've had people who are saying defensive back plug and play. You know, wide receiver might take him a little while to understand the nuances of He'll have the talent, but to understand the nuances, yes, Ton.
Speaker 8: Assuming he has a few decent options for next season, is there really any scenario, knowing his ego and wanting attention, that Aaron Rodgers would retire and let things end the way they did last year. That'd be the final note of his career.
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 8: We have a team saying no, thank you, we don't want He's not even saying no to them. They're getting ahead of it and saying you're not back with us.
Speaker 2: I don't know what his mindset is until he comes on the show or he's on McAfee, and you know, Pat presses him on how much do you want to play? Where do you want to play? Can you play? How important is playing and going out on top? I don't even know what that means when they say going out on top. The only way to go out on top is when you win a Super Bowl, because anything other than that is gosh, that's a disappointment. Are we lost in the second round or we didn't make the play? I mean, then you're chasing your tail. That doesn't make any sense. But do I think Aaron I think the Jets made the right decision not bringing him back. I wouldn't do that if I'm Aaron Glenn. I don't want to walk into that. I don't want to be held hostage. I'm not interested in that at all. And he needs to move forward New GM. Let's go, let's do it my way. I don't want Aaron Rodgers left over there. But can I see him playing in Tennessee? Yeah, I guess, I guess. All right, let me take a break. Steve Young will join us coming up next. We get to more phone calls as well, and Kevin Bacon, the Big Actor, Kevin Bacon, Big Philly Philadelphia Eagle fan. He'll join us in the final hour of the program. Back after this Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 14: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 14: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 14: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 4: I mean that says something.
Speaker 13: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 4: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We've enjoyed the insights of Steve Young, one of the smartest football minds that I know, Hall of Famer, three times Super Bowl champ. Wanted to tap in one more time before we said goodbye to this season. Steve kind enough to join us once again. What will you take away from this Super Bowl? If I said there's one memory ten years now, you're going to think about what with this Super Bowl?
Speaker 15: Well, there's the three peat, the chance to be a three p which we tried in the late eighties and the early nineties failed. And to see the emotional bankruptcy that the Chiefs showed up with, especially offensively, with that on the line, with like history on the line, it kind of feels like the Patriots when they played the Giants in two thousand and eight when they had the undefeated season. You're like, you're gonna go down as the greatest team, the greatest team that ever played. Possibly you could just you can make that argument, and to come out and emotionally lay it so flat was just shocking.
Speaker 4: I didn't understand the play calling here.
Speaker 2: You of course played the position a quarterback, but it felt like they were doing the same thing and didn't make any adjustments.
Speaker 4: What adjustments should they have made?
Speaker 15: Well, I think the problem was is that I'm sure Andy was coach readers, probably scratching his heads like wait a second, like I'm calling some plays here and like to have no option.
Speaker 7: And then Patrick essentially, you know, you go down early.
Speaker 15: The Chiefs have done that before, go down ten nothing, It's like, okay, we'll hang around, everything will be fine. Then Patrick gives up fourteen points like that, and that's where it all turned.
Speaker 7: And so like, are those.
Speaker 15: First three or four drives, Yeah, you know I should play you know three and out come up with something better than that. Everyone should take you know, Andy should take some of that blame. Everyone should take the blame. It just felt like, emotionally, when you have four guys in the game today. We talked about this every time we get on about how games change, the defense is really put under the gun. They can't rule the they can't rule like they used to. And so the low four guys, not five or six, no blitz I don't think it blitzed.
Speaker 7: One time in forty two snaps.
Speaker 15: There's just there was nothing the threat and other than four guys just pounding you in the submission, four guys in the NFL today, defensive line should not be able at any circumstance to put you in that kind of a bind. And so to me, that's just an emotional readiness to go fight, and that they didn't have obviously the offensive line, and then obviously play calling everything, everything kind of just point Haywire.
Speaker 2: I thought that they would at least try to run. Philadelphia was using Saquon Barkley. They weren't getting yards, but he had twenty five carries.
Speaker 15: You look back and when you want to establish something, especially when you can't block four guys. Yeah, I mean that's pretty obvious Dan that they the first three series got nothing, and you know, I think they were trying to In my mind, I think that they felt like the Eagles were going to score thirty and so that you got to keep up and wanted to start that way. I can't really go against especially play call Andy Reid, like he's always got something in his pocket.
Speaker 7: He's always got some cool.
Speaker 15: Play when it really matters, and so you know, to open the game and kind of fall flat on your face is super unusual.
Speaker 2: Is this just a bad night or is there something maybe more systemic to this?
Speaker 4: Moving forward?
Speaker 7: Well, that defense is ready to play.
Speaker 15: That defense is ready to you know, I think they came and there's four or five series they're just like, look, give us some help. And I think that for whatever reason, I don't, I how can it be systemic? You got one of the great innovative play callers in the history of the game, you got one of the great quarterbacks in the game. You're gonna have to read tools that people could, you know, continue to age. But there's no reason to think that what we saw at.
Speaker 7: Super Bowl Sunday was even close to anything.
Speaker 15: They don't want to ever do again, Like, please tell me you're gonna wash your hands and move on, because that was that was not that was terrible.
Speaker 2: And I guess that we can kind of tamp down the mahomes Is on Tom Brady's heels, his greatest quarterback of all time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that would have been.
Speaker 15: Yeah, the talk would have been super hot, and probably for good reason, because he's got.
Speaker 7: Four already headed for who knows how many.
Speaker 15: You still got to figure that the AFC, with the with the weapons that they have at quarterback that I said a few years ago, they're going to trade Joe Burrow, Josh Allen and he are going to trade super Bowls for the next ten years.
Speaker 7: So it's just been Patrick.
Speaker 15: But until for the Nose, you got to figure that Patrick's gonna be in the mix.
Speaker 2: Talking to Steve Young, the three times Super Bowl champ, what's it like to go to the line of scrimmage and maybe you didn't feel this, but go to line of scrimmage knowing they're coming after you, and they're getting there a whole lot more often and quicker than you thought they were going to.
Speaker 15: But see the theme. Patrick has dealt with this before. I mean, he's he's the guy that has an answer. He's mature to a point where he doesn't have to look far downfield. It felt like he would. He just he was looking for something great or amazing or super you know, like the Superman stuff of.
Speaker 7: His early days.
Speaker 15: Would really just drop it off, get it out, blitz coverage, you know, I mean.
Speaker 7: Get drop off the outlet.
Speaker 15: Like just like it felt like. And then also they kept getting in third and long jams every time he like it was third and eighteen third, and like he can't play ball that way.
Speaker 2: But Brady talked about his footwork. He kept talking about how Patrick was uncomfortable, he kept looking at his footwork in the pocket.
Speaker 7: I agree with it.
Speaker 15: I think that his response felt it felt like the Bucks game the Super Bowl a few years ago, where just look, we understand you're under siege. We get it, but like, no, it doesn't have to go down that way.
Speaker 7: You get it.
Speaker 15: You have an answer. I mean, you're Patrick Mahomes. Come up with an answer, and that just and then when he did, that's when he threw the pick six. Then he did, he got hit and through the next pick and all of a sudden, it's twenty.
Speaker 7: Four or nothing.
Speaker 15: And uh, you've just you put yourself in the you know a'll bide, you can't get out of it.
Speaker 2: And also you know this because well you're on the winning side of it. But when things happen, the mistakes metastasize because it's the Super Bowl, like there's no tomorrow. Everything is so important, and you know, if you don't score here and then the next time you press a little bit more. And it felt like that that it just that's why we used to have these blowouts in the Super Bowl. It felt like, man, it's just on a roll and you can't stop it.
Speaker 7: Stop it.
Speaker 15: Well, Championship football, unlike baseball, basketball, seven game series we've talked about all the time, it happens in a series and the really really sophisticated, mature teams recognize that and don't waste a down in championship football. And the Chiefs have gotten away with wasting a lot of downs in CHAMPIONI football and.
Speaker 7: Still figured it out. You can make a case for the Chiefs being zero to five in Super Bowls.
Speaker 15: It's like within a whisker two of the forty nine ers, another one with the Eagles the first time. So like they ride the rail and they've they've come through so many times, and here, all of a sudden, it just got away from them. They were down ten to nothing. They probably felt like, oh, yeah, we've been here before, we get this. We're a little bit of a season. And that's when he threw the pick six.
Speaker 7: That's when things turned haywire.
Speaker 2: There wasn't social media when you guys were going for a three peat, But was America tired of the forty nine ers?
Speaker 15: Everyone gets like the Yankees back in the day or the Patriots for those years. They people like to see new people and uh, I don't know if that's actually true thing, it's just a theme, but we've got to I mean, we've got to recognize them. So, especially in today's commoditized NFL, you can stay on top today. That's a heck of a thing because everything about the game is pressing you back to the median and you're getting I'm gonna stay elite. So it's shocking in today's game that people can stay on top. But it's what's amazing is as much as they try to commoditize it all, there's still ten teams that you're gonna see every year because they're so well run. They have the quarterbacks that matter today, the guys that can run. Even with jalend Hurts, you know, his legs made the game. As with every championship game into the future, will matter. You're the quarterbacks, legs will decide the game. And it happened again.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a couple other topics outside of the super Bowl. Tennessee's on the clock and maybe Travis Hunter, two way player with Colorado Dion, was on the show on Ride Egg and he says he sees him playing both offense and defense, and it feels like he can be an all pro cornerback type talent. I don't know if you he seems a little rough as far as a wide receiver. You can get away with that in college, I don't know if you can in the NFL. Could you see Tennessee, Let's say they take him using him both ways.
Speaker 7: You'd have to You can't. One thing's for sure.
Speaker 15: You can't play all pro corner without locking it down, like you can't be messing around now. Dion did what I think you could think Travis could do, which is, look, I'm gonna be a shutdown all pro corner and I can run some routes. I can come in and do a couple of things. I can set up in the slot and do some cool stuff. But not full time, no way. I just the game is the two demanding athletically that you know to put and he plays on offense and he he plays on defense.
Speaker 7: It's just asking too much.
Speaker 15: And I don't think you can if he's going to be a full time receiver and then go toy at corner.
Speaker 7: That doesn't work.
Speaker 15: You know, you know that you can't just go like, oh yeah, they kept a couple of plays at corner. You're gonna get yourself roasted.
Speaker 2: Well, I would have him play majority of the plays at corner and then sprinkle sprinkle in.
Speaker 7: Play off, play off pro corner.
Speaker 15: And yes, I think Dean did that with us with the forty nine ers for the year, and then he did it before, like line up, have some cool routes and do it every once in a while, be fine, red zone kind of cool stuff.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: But how often did he say I want to play offense when he was with you guys?
Speaker 7: Super Bowl? Hey man, super Bowl? Let me run?
Speaker 14: He did.
Speaker 7: He ran a couple of routes in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: So so he does he go to you and say I want to play or does he go to coach?
Speaker 15: He lets you know one thing about Dion, he never had He never wondered, never wondered when he felt what he was thinking. Remember I told you the time Dan when he's like he pulled me aside, said Steve, look, I'm a marketing magician. There's two parade, you know. There's the I'm gonna be the greatest work ethic you ever seen. I'm gonna be ready for every game but then I have this other parade that you're gonna watch. Get some popcorn and enjoy it.
Speaker 7: And I really did.
Speaker 15: He was an amazing athlete, I mean, an amazing teammate. He worked harder than everybody, and then he had this other parade that he did that you know, he navigated.
Speaker 7: It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: What was it like to face him?
Speaker 7: Though he was one of the rare court I would imagine playing Michael Jordan. There are athletes that defy your eye. You know, you got to understand.
Speaker 15: My job is to be able to sense the speed and athleticism of who I'm throwing the ball against so that I know that the ball is safe. How many times you've seen a football throwne that's just barely out of someone's reach, you know, because you judge that and that split second knowledge. He defied that to me. There are ball the footballs that I threw that I'm like, that's fine. And then he would not make him I'm like, wait a second, my eyeball can't can't gauge him, So I didn't. I tried not to mess with him as much just because you couldn't make the judgment. And I feel like there are athletes that you see something, see them do something, and you go, wha wait, I gotta see that again, because that didn't make my eye didn't cover up.
Speaker 7: It didn't make sense to me, And Michael George's probably that way as well.
Speaker 4: If you're Aaron Rodgers, what would you do.
Speaker 15: In today's game? Tom Brady said it best. The flats are always open, the middle of the field is unpatrolled.
Speaker 7: And no one could hit me. And by the way, I make fifty million dollars.
Speaker 15: So I think that Aaron, because he's healthy a full year look at the mobility is down everything else. But if you can get to a place that understands the position, has innovative mindsets, there's more and more places like that that you can get where you can take advantage of the you know, the new football that's being played. If he can get to one of those spots, I'm sure he'd still loved go play some great football, especially with one innovative minds. So I don't think I mean if he might be forced to retire because no one will do, you know, give him the job, But I think someone I look, you can't go to a place where it's not set up.
Speaker 7: For the quarterback. I mean, just flaught out, not even gonna bother with it. He already he just did that with the Jets. So you're not gonna do it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I wonder who looks at their team and says, that's what we need. He'll be the difference maker. The Jets thought that they were getting that guy.
Speaker 15: I know, yeah, but then I look, the one thing I do know is that he was he was taught in a more sophisticated era, and Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, they all took advantage of it. Matthew Stafford's taken advantage of it. This is a game that's significantly easier. I look, I like some old guy yell and I'll get off my lawn. But like, the game is significantly less sophisticated in that way, and so he can take advantage of it. He knows that, and so if he can get to a good spot, look I would I would go try to take advantage, especially if you can still run around a little bit.
Speaker 7: That's that's the game today.
Speaker 2: Did you think about coming out of retirement at any point after you've retired.
Speaker 15: You always think about it, Dan, I mean the thing that you're you know, you're one of the best in the world is something, and then you retire and you're not You're not that anymore. And then you look out in the future you're not even good at anything else. And that's what's somming about it, right, You're at the bottom of I always describe it as a bottom of a bottom of a cliff. You've fallen in a bag of bones and like you gotta it's a death. And so if someone said you, hey, that thing that you're great at, you're not gonna be great at things in your whole life ever again, Like that that thing you're great at, let's do it again.
Speaker 7: Like, yeah, let's do that again, because that's what I'm best at.
Speaker 15: So it goes through your mind for years cause you think, oh, you know, that was what I'm best at. But you have to That was like Roger stob I gave me the best advice ever, Just run, Steve. The game will never leave you, but you gotta leave it.
Speaker 7: You got to run. And so emotionally more than anything.
Speaker 15: And I think that's probably why, because you know, the next day when you find out you're not good at even I'm not great.
Speaker 7: I'm not even good at anything else, You're like, dang or do I get started?
Speaker 4: Did you have to retire? Did you have to?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 7: A little bit, I think that, you know, I didn't know I could have gone to Denver.
Speaker 15: Mike, Shanaan and I had long conversations about it, and uh, my wife still tells me that I was an idiot not to do it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so no, wait, how close were you playing for the Broncos? Uh?
Speaker 7: Closer than the Dodgers?
Speaker 15: Okay, but right, but you know what I mean, Like it was it was definitely something that could have happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your wife said that you should do it. See that's the interesting part there that you know. Usually it's the other way around, I know. So you would have taken over for Ryan Greasy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Mike ha heard ganging up on me.
Speaker 15: So yeah, but that's but that's the hard part again, what your best at Steve keep doing it like, yeah, you know that's what was unusual about him.
Speaker 4: Thanks again for making time for us.
Speaker 7: Dan, you're the man.
Speaker 4: Travel Thank you about it.
Speaker 2: That's a Steve Young Hall of Famer, always fun to talk to, Always great conversations. Feels like those are the conversations I would have with him if I wasn't on the show. There's a certain guy, Reggie Miller, Charles you know, there's John Smoltz. There's probably ten guys that I feel like what we talk about is what we would talk about if we weren't on the show. But Steve won three Super Bowls and a two time NFL MVP. A couple of phone calls Rodney in Hampton, not to be confused with Rodney Hampton.
Speaker 12: Hey, Dan, two posts. Super Bowl perspective is number one. Andy Reid is a good coach. Well, let's pump the brakes from the greatest of all time. Case in point. He's been embarrassed and blown out in two Super Bowls. Tom Land, we lost three Super Bowls by a total of eleven points. Furthermore, I don't know if you know this or not, Dan, but the NFC East has the most Super Bowl wins with fourteen. Second is the AFC West with ten. For the Philadelphia fans out there, every team in the East not only won multiple Super Bowls before Philly got their first one, but they always have and always will be the fourth best history success story of the four teams in the East.
Speaker 9: Love your.
Speaker 15: Stata Day, Stata the j Stanta, the j oh damn give us.
Speaker 4: Status? All right, that's uh, that's Pandora from Las Vegas. Danny, Yes, uh.
Speaker 8: I'm starting to feel a little less excited about it.
Speaker 7: My initial thought was, yeah, no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's starting to uhy like feathers tassels, headdress.
Speaker 4: Yeah, smoke a little little.
Speaker 7: Really and Oddley turned on by it, which is even more than the.
Speaker 4: Thank you to all Right, we'll take a break. More phone calls coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the Heart Radio WAP.
Speaker 4: Is it too early to play the Aaron Rodgers game? You want to beat the rush?
Speaker 2: Feels like there's a lot of people already with a head start on this since the end of the season. All right, where will Aaron Rodgers be next year at the start of the NFL season?
Speaker 4: Where will he be?
Speaker 7: Todd?
Speaker 4: I'm going to start with you.
Speaker 7: The New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna take a chance.
Speaker 7: On out in a week division.
Speaker 2: So they're kicking Derek car to the curve. Would you rather have Derek Carr or Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 7: I think Aaron.
Speaker 2: Rodgers Seaton next year started the NFL season, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Will be where.
Speaker 6: Sitting in a studio hosting his own podcast.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I think he's probably getting more out of the reaction he gets from Pat McAfee's show than he does on the field. And I think that his personality. I think there's a reason that he's still bringing up a stupid uh.
Speaker 6: It looks like the leagues immunized.
Speaker 5: Me because he gets exactly the kind of reaction that he wants where people are like, oh my god, this dude still bring He gets that attention.
Speaker 6: He's not getting that on the field anymore.
Speaker 10: Marvin the Tennessee Titans, I don't think he's going to retire yet.
Speaker 4: Okay, and you buying into Tennessee Titans, huh, Paul.
Speaker 3: This team has a history of doing stuff like this with older quarterbacks the Indianapolis Colts or Colts.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 2: I think the fact that he came back to the Jets to talk to the Jets about maybe coming back and playing another season tells you he wants to play it. Because if he knew they were moving on or had an idea, then you wouldn't have flown back to talk to the Jets unless there was something contractually that you know, when he gets dismissed cut, you know he's got certain money coming to him. I don't know the intricacies of that, but he did come back met with them, so it feels like he was still fighting to play one more year. I don't know if it's a case of if I can't play for the Jets, then I don't want to play anymore. I'll say Tennessee just because I don't think Pittsburgh would make that mistake. But they're closer to winning something. That's where is Aaron Rodgers better than Justin Fields or Russell Wilson And yes, went healthy, Yes he is. But could I see the Raiders. I just don't know if Tom Brady is going to walk into that and go, I'm going to start my tenure as an owner with a guy who's going to be there for one year and I'm going to have to, I don't know, deal with those things. They I mean they want Shador Sanders. I think the Giants are going to end up with Shadoor sad He.
Speaker 8: Has to interesting our pick. Saints, Colts, Titans very winnable divisions you've put him in. Maybe he can get them over the hump, not necessarily anywhere near a super Bowl, but to at least win that division, whether it be the NFC South or AFC.
Speaker 2: South, anybody else, any other teams that we would throw in their Paul.
Speaker 3: I've got the top ten odds. How about the San Francisco forty nine ers now all party all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that they've reportedly already started negotiations.
Speaker 4: I think that's where they.
Speaker 2: I would say, look, you're not going to be the highest paid quarterback because we want to make sure we keep talent around you and this will ensure success for you. Let's come up with a contract that makes sense for both. Patrick Mahomes did this for the Kansas City Chiefs, So the best quarterback in the game did this to the Kansas City Chiefs, gave them what's turned out to be a bargain. Brock Purdy needs to know where he stands and what's important. Patrick Mahomes wanted to make sure that he got super bowls. If Brock Purty wants to do that, get back to a super Bowl, I think you got to do a deal that's friendly to both, not a team friendly but friendly to both.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, here's a couple more than in the top ten of current odds, the la Rams. The reasoning that I'm reading here is if the Matthew Stafford deal is too big for two years, it doesn't feel like it doesn't.
Speaker 2: No, but Sean McVay with him would be certainly interesting. But you're moving on from Cooper Cup Who else is in there?
Speaker 3: How about this one? I was thinking about this. How about the Cleveland Browns? Their quarterback just tore his achilles again. They're probably trying to get out of that contract. They're not a bad roster, They're not a horrible roster.
Speaker 4: I don't know. But do you want to go from easy?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to do that if you're Aaron both like the Browns need to figure this out. Are you hitting the reset button? And that's the case, then trade Miles Garrett get out from underneath to Sean Watson's contract. You know you're trying to get a new stage. This doesn't help you get a new stadium. Be like, I don't want to support that anybody else on that list.
Speaker 4: This is a week ago, but the Vikings were in the top ten of the odds. Yeah, I don't see. It doesn't seem like.
Speaker 2: It unless we're gonna, you know, complete the Brett Favre trilogy here storyline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's the Aaron Rodgers game. Tomorrow, We're gonna play the Brock Party game. Yes, Chuck in Vegas? Hi, Chuck, what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Ay?
Speaker 16: Good morning, DJ, Thanks for taking a call. I was just curious after last year when Fritzy went from New York to Florida to get to Vegas. This year, did he go from New York to Vegas to get to New Orleans?
Speaker 7: Todd?
Speaker 4: Your flight plan?
Speaker 8: I went from Hartford to Charlotte draw Out to New Orleans, which is kind of normal going back a little question. But but based on the time I was looking to leave, I went to Chicago. O hair from New Orleans and Chicago hair to Heartbreak. So yeah, I went to Chicago, which is a little off roots, but that was the best at least I can find for a mid afternoon departure.
Speaker 2: I think that you could work for Fox Sports, because Seatan was talking about this during the Super Bowl, that they're really good at emphasizing the last word.
Speaker 4: Oh hair cago o hair to Bradley upward? Didn't you have your imitation seatan of those working for Fox? I flew right past there, so yeah, yeah, yeah I did. Wait is that your Aaron Andrews impersonation?
Speaker 6: He has the same accent.
Speaker 5: Oh he's the exact same accent as Kevin Burkhard, Tom Brady and everybody else.
Speaker 2: If you listen to her podcast you can hear it. So Todd, you got a future when this show ends. There you go, you could work at Fox?
Speaker 7: Oh nice? Why not? Eh?
Speaker 8: Or I'll do the podcast with Caris and Aaron if they're looking for a third.
Speaker 1: But we can do that.
Speaker 7: Is that asking too much?
Speaker 4: Probably?
Speaker 8: Probably ask you too much?
Speaker 4: Probably?
Speaker 2: Maybe Nick Wright would have you on. Nick Wright I believe is joining us tomorrow on the troil is. Yeah, he got roughed up yesterday afternoon on his show. He got roughed up. It was fun. They had a marching band, like all these things. They were preparing for Kansas City to win three pete confetti, marching band, banners.
Speaker 4: All of that.
Speaker 2: So they just said, well, we spent all this money, we got to go through with it. Kevin Bacon, great actor, and big Eagles fan. He'll join us coming up in about twenty five minutes from now. Two hours in the books, one more to go on this Tuesday. Back after this