Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Coast to Coast AM. I am Lisagar and my guest is Catherine Gerty's and we are talking about astrology. She is a very detailed astrologer, and we're trying to keep this on the higher level here because I am not. She's written a book called Astrology and shadow Work, and it bridges the gap between your astrological sign and the opposite of that sign, the shadow, and what you can really learn about that shadow, raising awareness and thus empowering yourself more so, Catherine, before the break, we were talking about Chiron in which is an asteroid. Tell me about that and how that affects astrology.
Speaker 3: Sure, so, Chirn is known as the wounded healer, and Kirn is an asteroid that we all have somewhere in our charts that speaks to some very early childhood wounds and this points to a trauma that people carry. The thing is the Chiron placement is a very sensitive thing in the chart. Like let's say, for example, you have Chiron and Gemini. There's likely something about speaking your truth about communication with Chiron and Gemini feeling like it's safe to share or safe to to just speak up in general. And so the thing is, it's likely that whatever someone's chiron placement is, there was something that did happen to make someone feel as though, you know, their right to have this as a wound. But later in life it's something that we're constantly just working against because it's not something we have to continue caring. It's it's based on some lie go. To use that example with Chiron and Gemini, of course, you know as an adult you're safe to speak your truth and you can you know, continue sharing and sharing their ideas with other people. But for someone with Chiron in the sign of Gemini, they might still hesitate based upon something earlier. So I think understanding the Chiron placement that you can see that this is just you know, more like a in adulthood. This is more just like a boogeyman. This isn't a real thing to consume carrying with us. I think that's important.
Speaker 2: Ah, that makes sense, so you can have seniority over it, but recognizing that it's there will help it not reac havoc as much.
Speaker 4: Exactly right, and exactly when.
Speaker 2: You're saying that that chiron is in someone's chart. Is that the same thing is does it transit like the others, like Pluto is transitting.
Speaker 3: It does transit. It does, And it's in the sign of Aries right now. And so I had mentioned before the break that you know, for anyone with any arid placement, it is getting hit with this this tender energy of chiron, and maybe that can make somebody a little bit more reactive or a little bit more sensitive at this time, especially since the north node has been in Aries.
Speaker 5: This entire year since been in areas, the north node has been in areas as well, and so that's been highlighting that energy of wounding.
Speaker 3: But also of healing. It's been a really opportune time for healing around that that old wound as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not sure what I understood. North node A.
Speaker 3: The north node nod. Sure, so the nodes of the moon, and in Vedic astrology you might have heard of these, the north node as rahoo. And then there's also this south node always moving in opposition from the north node, and that is a K two. And these are really telling in a chart because in the nail chart the north node is really pointing towards purpose. To put it in a nutshell, this is an area if we're breaking down the meaning of somebody's north note, it's really pointing towards what brings a person deep fulfillment on a soul level. We see people chasing things all the time in order to bring a deeper level of fulfillment. And really, if we just look in the chart at the message of the north node there, we can typically see, ah, this is the thing that will bring this person, you know, a sense of accomplishment and joy. That's very genuine.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that makes sense. Now if that means if somebody is in a positive state in their north node, So say, for example, how would they know that? How would somebody know that that was where they were?
Speaker 3: So let's as an example, look at like the north Let's say the north note is in a person's fifth house in their chart. I think this will answer the question. And I believe the north node in the fifth house in a person's chart is really pulling towards the fifth house themes of personal expression and creativity and really leaning into like what one person can create within themselves, not necessarily with a group of other people. And if that north in a placement was in the sign of areas. That's highlighting that even more. And maybe they're meant to, you know, create something and then lead others into, you know, into that process or guide people how to create for themselves.
Speaker 2: Could you go through the signs of the the positive sign and the shadow of each sign.
Speaker 4: Is that something you want to do, Capricorn a little bit?
Speaker 3: Sure? Yes, So with let's start with areas of course, like you do with areas, areas as Mars world and as the first sign of the zodiac. It is about taking taking leadership. It's a sign about self actualization. And so when it's in its most positive manifestation, the sign of areas is very intentional. It says what it means that it knows exactly where it's going and decides to move in that direction, and it's very reliable. It's like a leader. In its shadow, Areas is a little bit more like a dictator. I mentioned it's ruled by Mars, and Mars is connected to war, and so this can be somebody who stays like my way or the highway and decides they're moving with intention, but they're not really considerate of anyone else.
Speaker 4: Got it, Okay? Yep, we all know aries.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, and just for anyone listening like, this isn't uh you know, it's it's reading an archetype and we are more than just a sun sign. So I hope nobody just like gets too attached to the sun sign nature of anything. I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, it isn't written in stone, but this is you're talking right, Okay, Yes.
Speaker 3: So for the sign of Taurus, chorus is fixed earth, meaning its element is earth, and it's modality, there are a number of modalities.
Speaker 4: Is fixed.
Speaker 3: And so if you just take the phrase that I said, fixed earth, it's very rigid. It's I translate this phrase to concrete, and so this is Taurus. Energy is very reliable, it's very solid. It's stable. You can build a foundation on concrete. But that means that the shadow is that it's a little bit immovable. It can be a little you know, digs to heels in a little bit stubborn.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 2: Think about who you know that it has the sign, or if it's you, and see if it makes sense to you. Okay, sure Gemini.
Speaker 3: Sure Gemini. So using the same method I did with Taurus, Gemini is mutable. Air mutable is its modality. So just like the words sounds very flexible and it moves and air is the lightest of all the elements. So you know, this is like wind and it's it can be challenging to grasp or put your fingers around. One of their greatest assets is their ability to move and shift and be flexible. And actually you know from that transform but this can leave you know, it's almost the opposite. It's what I said about tourists, like the foundation might not be super solid, maybe there's an inconsistency there, whereas the tourist archetype is still reliable.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So that wraps up Jim and I think.
Speaker 4: Can be immovable basically that's the shadow.
Speaker 3: Side, right, can be too movable.
Speaker 4: Too movable, Oh, I see it.
Speaker 3: A little too movable. Needs a little of that grounding, that stability.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, right, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: Cancer. Cancer is the first water sign that we come to, and so there's a lot of heightened emotion here. With that comes the gift of intuition. There's really like high sense of intuition, and I think, you know, allowing the emotions to not to not overwhelm all of the other senses or allowing the emotion to to die and spear when sometimes you need to lean more into like our other senses storry and how much trouble articulating that one.
Speaker 4: Sense, they can be overwhelming the emotions can be yes.
Speaker 3: And I think that that you know, depending on how they use those that that can be the shadow side if it just you know, they become a little like overwhelmed with it. And yeah, I think just managing the emotions is the challenge for cancer placements.
Speaker 2: Always makes sense, okay.
Speaker 3: Leo Leo. So Leo is a very expressive sign and it's tied into our sense of creativity. It's set into joy and pleasure. We use all these really fun words with the sign of Leo. And so with that there's something here that's similar to what I said about Gemini where they can get this sign can get really wrapped up into just the the fun of everything and maybe like miss the forest for the trees, like miss the big picture of what something can be about and what they're building.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 3: It gets Leo gets a lot of it's kind of a bad rap for making things about themselves. We connect Leo with the words celebrity, and so there is this ability maybe to step into the spotlight that can you know, there's there's nothing wrong with that, but maybe recognizing again with that force through the trees reft, when a person is taking up too much space and maybe like leaving out the group or forgetting about the group altogether. Is that type the thing with Leo?
Speaker 4: Interesting? Okay, yes, all right?
Speaker 5: Virgo Virgo.
Speaker 3: Virgo is a very analytical sign. They're phrase as I mentioned before, all the signs of phrases, and Virgo is I analyze, and so they bring a level of critique that I personally believe the world needs. I think it's a tremendous asset to see the thing that might be missing and other people might miss, and they have that unique ability to say, here's the thing that could just make this incriminally better. With that, you know, they are seen as the perfectionists of the zodiac, and it can just other people can perceive them as a little bit like nitpicky about things.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, always needing to be right.
Speaker 3: Yeah or yeah yeah, something like that exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, all right, let's see here was that ver libra.
Speaker 3: Libra So Libra is the sign of the zodiac that is connected to partnership, and this is why Libra is connected to marriage, but it can show up in all forms of partnership, not just marriage alone. And it is always thinking about the other person. It's the opposite. It's sitting across from the sign of Ares, and so it's kind of the inverse lesson of Ares. It needs to sometimes think about what's best for the self or authentically communicating what its needs are so that it's not just losing itself within the context of a partnership or the dynamic.
Speaker 2: Very interesting, yes, so this is this is making so much sense with your book the astrology and the shadow works. So you're showing the positive of the sign and also what can be in the shadow lurking underneath in order to become more aware of it so that you can work on it, because the shadows will be mostly the things that are causing the pain.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, I think awareness is dis key.
Speaker 2: H if you're not aware of them, right, they can be just lurking. How about a scorpio.
Speaker 3: Scorpio, So Scorpio is the investigator of the zodiac. Scorpio is tied to secrets and investigation in that they're always like probing beneath the surface. It's an energy that recognizes I think there's something else here. I think we can dive a little bit deeper and extract more information. So shadow work as a concept actually is associated with Scorpio, and so it's the entire field of psychology and that is one of its tremendous assets, is that ability to dive deep. It's also though, a very secretive sign and it, you know, it holds its cards close to its chest, and I think working occasionally against that and allowing a softness to take it over and allowing space for vulnerability and deeper levels of emotional intimacy is tied to overcoming the shadows for Scorpio, and the vulnerability.
Speaker 4: Is key, yep.
Speaker 2: And just allowing the truth to be okay, yes, or whatever that truth might be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, and being willing to share it and not just like hold it, you know, tightly with him. Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: That's good, yes. Sad Sagittarius, Sagittarius.
Speaker 3: So this Sagittarius is the adventurer and the explorer of the zodiac. They are connected to the idea of like taking long distance trips and going on sabbaticals and retreats, you know, far away, and so that sense of adventure is really a huge part of the Sagittarius archetype. I think the shadow comes into play because they are mutable fire and they can move easily in the same way that Jem and I across from it can move easily. I think it's important for them to not go too far off of either extreme of just you know, restlessness and incessant wandering, or the other extreme of not exploring altogether, because internally, Sagittarius is meant to be an adventurer. Yes.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So but are you saying to grow roots at some point or.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think I think to grow roots, but to still allow oneself to explore. So whether that's taking like literal trips, exploring to the mind, because Vegetaries is also tied to universities and libraries and things like that and studying, so the sense of adventure has to be cultivated. And I just think it's yeah, like avoiding the extremes of that where it's like there's no roots, like you said, right, or there's just too much and there's no adventure.
Speaker 4: Not feeling grounded to anything. Yeah, got it.
Speaker 2: And then we did talk a little bit about Capricorn but you could talk a little bit more there to close that off.
Speaker 3: Sure. Sure, So Capricorn is kind of like the CEO of the zodiac. It really is like the head boss physician. It's the manager. And you know, we need I've said with a couple of the signs, like how much that's a gift to have. I mentioned it with Virgo, right, like this ability to be analytical as a gift. Well, the ability to manage and oversee is a gift with Capricorn as well. That craving within to achieve that really is built into that archetype. And to see the fruits of one's labor over a course of time. Because Capricorn is ruled by the planet Saturn, which is connected to the time, so we know that good things take time and that it takes that investment of energy. So we really see that with the Capricorn archetype, and that's a gift. I think when the achievement becomes too important, or when you know, if we have goals over a long stretch of time, it's really important to step back and say, okay, this is still the goal I want to achieve, and maybe course corrects along the way and beside like oh, I wanted that, but maybe I want something more like this other thing over here now.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast a m. Every weeknight at one a m. Eastern, and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more