Speaker 1: What's your love language?
Speaker 2: Quality time and words of affirmation.
Speaker 3: Acts of service in my love language, be competent and be of use. Help me that she makes me know. But that's so scary because because then someone will suck everywhere else. And then if they do that, that's like the like the.
Speaker 2: Seventeen red flags.
Speaker 1: But but they do that.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, thanks for watching. Today's episode is brought to you by boost Mobile. I'm very excited about today's guests because I love her. She has built a career on telling the truth. Whether she's singing about heartbreak, healing, sobriety, or the messiness of just being human. Her music resonates because she is willing to say the things that a lot of people won't say and are afraid to. She's earned multiple Grammy nominations, collaborated with artists like Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne, Ari Lennox, and established her as one of the most distinctive voices of her generation. Now, the Toronto native is back with her latest album, A Little Vengeance.
Speaker 1: Jesse Rays is here in real life. Jesse so mud than you. I love you?
Speaker 2: How are you? Baby?
Speaker 1: I'm good, I'm tired, but you so tired?
Speaker 2: What are they making you do?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, too much. But we're here and I'm happy to see you and I love seeing it.
Speaker 2: I love seeing you too, baby. You know, I was thinking this morning that you were coming in. I was like, damn.
Speaker 4: I felt a little bad because the last time, well, I saw you at your concert.
Speaker 2: We had a great time, so your parents met the dog all that. We'll get into that later. But the time before that was you came to see me. I R. L. Booth, who were doing the pod, but a small version of.
Speaker 4: The pod at the BET Awards, Oh right, right, and you popped in for a second.
Speaker 2: It was a quick little interview.
Speaker 1: And I love that photo, the photo that we got that is.
Speaker 4: Really it's a cute photo.
Speaker 2: Do you remember anything else from that day or not.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I cried, which is very did cry.
Speaker 2: So you're okay with it.
Speaker 4: In my mind, I'm like, damn, I should have I should have checked on.
Speaker 2: Her after and I didn't.
Speaker 1: Oh you're sweet.
Speaker 4: I feel bad that I didn't check on you after because you said you had just gone through some heartbreak and you like cried talking about it, and then.
Speaker 1: I was like, I hate that for me. That's what I was crying about I was crying about a bum.
Speaker 2: I hate that for me.
Speaker 4: By the way, you wouldn't be the first woman to cry over a bum. It happens all the time every day. Right now, somebody's crying over somebody right now. That sucks.
Speaker 2: That sucks.
Speaker 1: If it's you and you're listening.
Speaker 4: Wipe your fucking piers bit.
Speaker 1: So bump it will be.
Speaker 4: But this was like a year ago, right, How could you have been crying over abum.
Speaker 2: A year ago?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because you're so dope and and funny and great and talented.
Speaker 2: Like what is it bad? Bad choosing?
Speaker 4: Because you seem smart and you and you're tapped it, so you're not You're not totally surprised by somebody's behavior, right, Like, are you choosing bad?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 3: I think I at that time I was choosing bad. And also I fell in love by accident, Like I didn't slipped on it. I kind of slipped. Yeah, I stand that sounds crazy.
Speaker 1: It was an accident.
Speaker 3: I thought I had my shit together and I saw the cards on the table and I was like, oh, this is this is this is a fucking flaming red flag. This is a flaming red flag, so like keep it at bay, and I did, and then and then.
Speaker 2: We always think we could control that.
Speaker 1: What a joke.
Speaker 3: I think I've learned my lesson now that I'm like, I just you have to be Actually, I don't think I know I've learned my lessons, but I almost I am my sling shots shot over here. And then I became a tyrant where I was like I see a bage, like fuck yo, I see a fucking like the smallest thing that I'm like, no, no, no, And then obviously that's not helpful.
Speaker 4: What is a flag for you? What is a flag that you might It doesn't have to be him per se, but like the flags?
Speaker 2: What are the.
Speaker 1: Flags multiple baby moms?
Speaker 3: Is a flag? Lack of accountability a flag devout? This is fucked, but it's my truth. When someone let me preface this by saying, I love I'm very spiritual. Love spirituality, love reading about philosophy and how they how they intermingle. I like learning about theology, but I don't love institutions. And I grew up very like traditionally my mom and my mom thank god, my parents are very liberal.
Speaker 1: They're open minded.
Speaker 3: So even still I was still like free to have my own relationship with the divine, but I don't like institutions. So when someone is profoundly devout is a little bit of a red flag for me.
Speaker 1: No shade.
Speaker 3: You know, people do whatever you got to do, that's your business. But however you find your connection, whatever you find your connection.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 3: But but but that scares me a little bit when someone is like.
Speaker 4: Because you question, maybe they are, I don't know. It's it's a bigger converse.
Speaker 3: It's a deeper conversation, and it's stickiest because they would say you never talk about politics and religion, because I could talk about this hours. Because first off, I know with the Socrates quote, I know, I know that I know nothing at all, So I'll start there. I know nothing, and your relationship with the divine is yours. But then when men intermingle in history, and then books get edited and the agendas get pushed, and then equality gets questioned, and and then when love gets weaponized, that for me is just very for me.
Speaker 1: For my internal thing, love cannot be weaponized. So further to be institutions that are weaponizing love and then you fully subscribe, that to me makes me a little hesitant to trust your judgment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no shade.
Speaker 3: And what's beautiful is that some people are able to exist in that world but still hold space for their truths. Like I've had conversations with priests where I've been able to like express my hesitations and where I see flaws and when there's respect, you can have all sorts of conversations. And he held space for me to be able to express that when I was I was a child, I was younger, but I was able to have it. And then he echoed something that my father had echoed a long time ago too, which is a you can't, you can't.
Speaker 1: And again, I don't judge it. It's just I don't.
Speaker 3: It's only taken into consideration if I'm considering someone as a partner, because then they're going to be directly you know. But if it's someone in passing our friend, there's no judgment. You do do whatever you want to do, no judgment. Because my dad was like, you cannot you can't judge or fault someone for however they form a relationship with the divine because it is personal, so you can't.
Speaker 1: You just can't.
Speaker 3: And also things are going to resonate for people like you don't have to. I don't think you have to be like I subscribe.
Speaker 1: To this so I agree with everything. I don't. I think that's so unfair to get someone to commit because there are.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with our country right that his country right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because people feel like they're in So now I have to support.
Speaker 2: All these things. Are you crazy?
Speaker 4: Are you crazy on either side?
Speaker 2: Are you crazy on both sides?
Speaker 1: Because yeahs everywhere?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that make those sort of generalizations without holding space for human.
Speaker 4: You have the greatest hair, Jesse, thank you?
Speaker 2: Like who could just do that?
Speaker 4: Who could just flip her hair around in an interview and it just lands right?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 5: My hair?
Speaker 4: Did the lady come over and and Brittany's like push this, I'm like, okay, it's like whatever you do your hair, It's just do you appreciate this hair? You?
Speaker 1: Yea, I appreciate the hair.
Speaker 2: Thank God for it?
Speaker 1: Yeah I do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: When I was a kid, I was reckless. I don't give a ship. But yeah, but now and now I've come to appreciate.
Speaker 2: You appreciate it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Thank you as well to say that you gotta thank the parents. Okay, so it's okay. So you were You were down because of you ignored red flags.
Speaker 1: I was down because ignored red flags.
Speaker 2: You were down bad. You're crying on the pod about about a bum.
Speaker 1: Yeah so much.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Being rebellious doesn't mean quitting your job and moving to an island. Sometimes being rebellious just means taking a few minutes to do exactly whatever it is you want to do. And that's where hard Rock Back, where your inner rebel plays. If you're in New Jersey or Michigan. The hard Rock Bet casinop has thousands of your favorite games from the casino floor, like slots, blackjack, roulette, whatever you like. And here's what I really appreciate from hard rock Bet. There's no nonsense. When you sign up, what you see is what you get. If you don't win in your first twenty four hours. After signing up, you get up to one thousand dollars back and casino bonus to play again. Plus you get five hundred bonus spins for cash eruption with winnings paid in cash. Now, Florida, listen up hard Rock Bet isn't forgetting about you guys. If you like slots, they have something for you too. Check out games powered by Pass motor Racing. It's not a social casino. These are real money games that are thrilling, fun and exciting, and you can play with as little as twenty cents or you can try your luck at a bigger win all the way up to a million bucks. The best part, again, there's no gimmicks. If you're a new customer in Florida, sign up and deposit ten dollars to get a one hundred dollars game bonus instantly. That's some extra fuel for your spins. So if you're ready to take some time yourself today, download the hard Rock Bet app and make your first deposit. That's the hard Rock Bet casino where your inner rebel play games powered by a Pass motor Racing payable in PMR game bonus not a cash offer offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. Must be twenty one and older and physically present in Florida to wager. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about your gambling, call or texts one A three to three playwise Michigan and New Jersey offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. All rewards issued as non withdrawable site credits. Ten dollars plus deposit required for four hundred bonus spins for cash eruption only up to one thousand dollars back in casino bonus if player has net loss on slots after first twenty four hours. Casino bonus credit has a one time wager requirement. Must be twenty one or older and present in Michigan or New Jersey to play gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure that serves the music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it couldn't be me. Kime out of that?
Speaker 2: Is that what it was? That song is so good.
Speaker 4: Thank you for somebody who's new to Jesse Reyes, because they're still every day new people can I'm into the table, by the way, I was so excited to be at your concert. It was so fun for me, not only because I love the album, and then watching you in your element. You've always been great as a performer, but watching the crowd grow and then the crowd know you better in a weird way, you just have a It's just so organic and such a dope thing to watch.
Speaker 2: And then you go backstage and.
Speaker 4: You're with You're saying, your parents are there, the dog's there, your team is there. Like you've really curated your world very organically to who you are, and that is so joyful to see.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that inside, like from the inside of your world? Does it feel like that?
Speaker 1: Not as much as I need it to be really? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow, So because I've always been a workaholic and it's been sustainable.
Speaker 1: Actually no, it's just things have shifted and shifted a lot for how I felt.
Speaker 3: But I was always able to bring my parents on tour, and like, I'm so privileged and spoiled by being I don't miss home because I've been able to bring home. I'm able to work that way because I'm able to bring home and bring my hearts.
Speaker 1: Like my love with me.
Speaker 3: But this tour was the first time that I was like far removed from them, and I felt it, and I was like, damn, Like, I don't I want to go home. I haven't felt that in nine years.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think i've ever I've ever I like, I generally like touring. I generally like that. Anyways, it was the first time that I was like I'm yeah, I do that. I miss home. I miss home.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. So but when I was there, your parents were there, and the dog was.
Speaker 1: There, that was America.
Speaker 2: Oh got it.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, so it was fine. And then we shifted. And then the shift is kind of what rocked me for the first time. And I never really felt that weakness. And then I started doing more inventory and I feel like I've done this inventory lightly in the last year or two year, year and a half that like, yes, I've been blessed with a great career and I'm great, but everything else suffers for it, you know, like when you're you know, and that's not it's a very common trope. I'm not saying anything that's like brand new. When you when you work a lot, your work life balance is a joke. And like relationships suffer, your your you're just everything and it's hard to allot time. It's hard to even prioritize anything because if something with work comes up, that's an opportunity that you can't say no to. For the bigger picture, it's like I gotta miss his birthday. I got to like it's just difficult. And and after December of last year, when we finished those six months, my body was like exhausted and it held out. My body's good to me, like for six months, held out. When I finally took a break, which normally happens after two where your body will get sick because of everything, it's been like countering. Yeah, but like it charged me, Like I was sick for like a month, and and then I realized, I'm like, I'm exhausted and that I'm kind of tired. I am sleep isn't fai. My soul is tired. To play with emotions to this degree that I play with them is difficult to talk about them. That's why I was like, I cried shocking, because because they're always here, They're always you know.
Speaker 1: And I realized.
Speaker 3: I looked around, I'm like, well, other artists take breaks, and in nine years, I haven't really done that. I have the bat max I've taken is out of my own volition. Max I've taken in seven days. Anything over seven days, Yeah, anything over seven days has been because I got fucked, because I was sick, or because my body like.
Speaker 1: Called it for me.
Speaker 4: It wasn't will Yeah, But to say.
Speaker 3: Because you know, there's people I didn't there's people that could be Okay, I'm not touching my phone, I'm not touching an email.
Speaker 1: I'm not like.
Speaker 3: Even I've just always which is fine, which is which is It's a quality I get from just having that sort of work ethic and watching my parents work. My dad in twenty years didn't miss a day of work. You missed one day, You missed my one day to go to my brother's graduation.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: So like I get this, they go, So that's how I you know, but it's not sustainable. It's not sustainable. And also when I see other people around me that have been able to do the like the long game, I'm like, oh, you take breaks, you take breaks, and you balance.
Speaker 1: So I feel like I'm dude, for a fucking is that coming?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna do it?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do? What is that?
Speaker 1: Nothing? Nothing? Fucking nothing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get a burner phone. I'm so excited. I don't want to see Instagram for like, I don't want to see Instagram. I want see taktok. I want to see my fucking Gmail. I just want books and space and woods and family and my dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how long are we talking?
Speaker 3: I don't know, as long as you need, long as I need. And then that's why I said, I'm like, it might be retirement. And then people around me.
Speaker 1: Like, are you fucking crazy? That's like saying a fish isn't gonna swim anymore. You create in your sleep.
Speaker 3: And I was like, yeah, but but I also don't want, and men makes plans and God laughs, so like, who the fuck knows? I can say retirement and then I'm gonna miss it in two months and come back. Maybe that's all I need, or maybe I need more, but I also don't want. I don't want. I'm just with the mercy of God and whatever happens. But right now, right now, I'm tired. I told my squad, I was like, I'm not doing a fucking massive to y'all are going to get ten shows out of me max. So we're working that, which I don't think is going to happen to a little after Ideally I was going to be done in June.
Speaker 1: That's not happening anymore. But it's okay. Compromise is fine.
Speaker 2: You're already compromising.
Speaker 3: Isn't that some shit I wasn't supposed to, But it's fine. This is the last compromise. But it's going to be ten shows and then fucking off.
Speaker 2: If there's only ten shows, I do recommend people get to them because if you.
Speaker 4: Haven't been to a Jesse Rayo show, it's so good. You're so good on stage, You're so free and so authentic and thanks pretty great, thank you so still even when you were in those times, Yeah, I was like, is it still fun for you on the stage?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, but but I've just never felt the longing to go. I'm just it's just such a week it was in city. It almost felt dirty because you do love it, because I yeah, so to feel that, I was like, what the fuck is this? Like I've never I've just never, for damn near a decade, I never felt the like.
Speaker 1: I don't go home home my mom, like I never.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't believe that you has this is It's taken you this long to realize maybe you need.
Speaker 1: A little roots. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then you're so, I don't know, like self reflective and like you I don't know you.
Speaker 1: Think ship you know why too?
Speaker 2: I think because you don't.
Speaker 4: It's not like you work in a factory or your adoptor.
Speaker 1: It's a creature.
Speaker 4: No, it's because you're a creative. And so the creative who is what you what you are in real life is a creative. You also do that as work.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 4: You know, if you have a clear job, like that's my job and I go home, you could be if I worked for three hundred days straight, I need to go.
Speaker 2: I need to break.
Speaker 4: You like, you're creative and so it's just it's right, It's just you don't shut it off. So even if you're not working on the album. When you go home, you are working on the album. It's like a non stop think So where is the line?
Speaker 2: Where is the line?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: You know, after you go take a break, you know what them creative juices are going to be doing.
Speaker 2: After that, You're gonna explode.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll see. That's funny, like retention, like seeing her.
Speaker 2: Attention, something might happen, you never know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well see what was the.
Speaker 4: Documentary that Beyonce did that one time when she was floating in the water and it was a similar time in her and she said, I had never taken a vacation.
Speaker 2: She had the same You should go watch it. I don't know, I feel like there's something in there for you.
Speaker 4: She did that documentary at a period she said, I went from Destiny's Child to my solo to this to that to this, and I had she had never taken a break. Was her first time taking a break, and then she Hey, ladies, if you have been struggling with dry hair breakage or just finding the right routine for your curls, I have got the trick for you.
Speaker 2: Basque and Lather offers.
Speaker 4: Nourishing hair bomb for curly or kinky hair and that helps reduce hair breakage and as the shine that you have been looking for. It is made with real ingredients that can penetrate hairstrands without clogging pores, and if you use it regularly, their users have seen results in about three months.
Speaker 2: That is pretty quick.
Speaker 4: They also have a hydrating hair mist that's perfect for keeping your hair soft, hydrated, and frizz free. And it's got alovera and avocado oil. So whether you're detangling, redefining curls, or maintaining protective styles like locks, twists, or braids, it fits right into your routine. Explore viral bestsellers and products of healthier hair of all types from Basque and Lather. Go to Basque and Lather code dot com and use the code irl for twenty percent off. That's twenty percent off at Basque and latherco dot com. Coderl I feel like was your Yeah, there's parallels and just that that feeling of like, fuck, how do you?
Speaker 2: I don't know anyway You're gonna be ok?
Speaker 1: Amen?
Speaker 4: Amen, you made some changes in your life to the past couple of years. It's just like sober now.
Speaker 1: The other thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think maybe that's also what's made it a little bit more apparent. Maybe that's why it was a blind spot, because I had that lubrication to like help me go, and now the lubrication is not there, So maybe that's why it's more.
Speaker 1: It's clear.
Speaker 2: What made you decide.
Speaker 1: To stop drinking?
Speaker 2: Mhm.
Speaker 3: The the I've drank for a long time.
Speaker 2: I started eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then when Yes He came out, we had an album release party in La and everyone and their mother came. Every morning, town came and I had a bottle of Jamison glued to my hand all night, and I'm like, I used to bartend for years. I was a bottle service school. When you can count money drunk, You're you're you're good, and so that I was always like I'm fine, mind you at that point, and okay, I'm gonna finish the store and then I'll tell you the other thing that added. So I was fine, and then that I'll tell you some more shit off camera that happened at that party. But some shit happened, and I ended up.
Speaker 1: With no shoes.
Speaker 3: I ended up with no shoes in fucking like like dead and like.
Speaker 1: Damn, you're dead.
Speaker 3: And my manager saw me, busy, I me, and he was like, Jesse's a little out of it, like we should get the fuck out of here. Got me out of there, thank god. My folks were in town. My mom opened the door, which is crazy. She was at my house, she was she was at home. She opened the door, and like I can only imagine because obviously I'm out, but I can only like she's done this her whole life, my whole life, Like dude, I've been come home drunk since I was like fourteen, and she's never been like yeah, she she was just really she was sad, but like, okay, it is what it is. And then and then I'll tell you some other stuff that happened at home after and then it was a hangover that lasted like two days, and when I finally woke up, I was like, holy fuck, that everything could have gone left at that party, Like everyone's got cameras, everything could have gone and everyone was there, every there's a lot that could have gone left. And then there goes eclips my album. It clips things that could eclipse my career off of one fucking like stupid viral moment where you're not where, you're not sound, mind like, and so it just put a lot of shit into perspective, and my liver was like cheering for this decision. It was like please, like we're tired. That's that's how it felt. And then also I've had experiences in life where I was in love with someone that had intense substance abuse issues and we were together for years on and off for fucking years, and that shit was hell, And I think maybe that's I think the majority of my trauma comes from that time and having to deal with him and like how fucked up shit got. Because I wasn't an angry drunk, I wasn't alike, but it shit just got really dark, really dark. So I think that in tandem with being like, Okay, it's time. You've done this for this long, maybe it's time. And I also haven't smoked me for a long time either, so like I was like, maybe it's just time, and I feel good. It's difficult sometimes, but I feel like three years three years. Yeah, isn't that nuts?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Three years three years?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It's so just you just make the decision and you start right away.
Speaker 1: I work that way. I'm a I'm a.
Speaker 3: I can't do increments. I have to go and then lock in, just cut it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You probably like that with relationships too, right, Like when it's over, it's over.
Speaker 1: When it's over, it's over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't go back. Oh maybe you do.
Speaker 4: You're like, you know, your blind spots are crazy?
Speaker 1: Wasn't that ridiculous saying that sucks? Uh?
Speaker 4: But normally.
Speaker 1: I got nothing.
Speaker 3: Damn Usually I can be Usually like seventy five percent of the time, I'm like, this is what it is, y yeah, and I can move on.
Speaker 4: So what do you notice about yourself that's different? People say when they stop drinking their skin or this or their clarity, or you're the whites in your eyes are whiter, like what do you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Have you seen a difference, so you feel a difference in your body or anything?
Speaker 3: I feel good. Uh, it's nice to not worry. I said this before. I was like, it's nice to not worry about emotions driving my car because when I would drink, emotions would drive the car, and then logic is in the back like fucking going from side to side, and emotions are fucking rip in corners and doing donuts. And so now I've switched and yeah, logic's driving, emotions are still in the whip. They're just like they're just in a backseat.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 3: So that that I feel good. I feel good that I've been able to achieve this new realm where I trust myself more.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm hmmm and know with And it was it hard, like with rurals or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was hard with It was hard. Was like.
Speaker 3: The first thing that was hard was like dealing with like la parties and ship because I'm introverted, so trying to do like the mingle and ship that shit was fucking very difficult at first. But then I got over it and now I could like party sober, I could dance fucking night away sober, I have a great time and then feel happy that I'm gonna wake up okay.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: But the only time I miss it is when shit is difficult in life, like when like if yeah, if there's something heavy that's happening. Whereas before I could have just done a little cup of whiskey and it would just served like a morphine button. Now I don't have that, and that's that's something I still struggle with.
Speaker 2: So what do you do? You have advice? Now?
Speaker 1: Do I have a vice? Now?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because people no, Yeah, supplement.
Speaker 3: You know when I stopped smoking wheed, When I took a break from smoking wheed, my supplement was hot yoga.
Speaker 1: That's what helped me.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm that's okay, that's better. It's a better advice.
Speaker 3: It's a better advice. Yeah, it's a better advice. I mean, fox bright and I gotta I got a chill on spray too.
Speaker 1: I'd be fucking I love spread.
Speaker 2: When you need it too. It's like that's the thing that hits the.
Speaker 1: Burn my throat. It's so good.
Speaker 2: I love it. You're so funny.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I remember a time when you were in town and you had hit me like I don't know. We were talking about getting together or something, and you're like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll do something.
Speaker 4: We'll have a go have a shot out, we'll do ship. We're gonna have tequila. And then like a couple of years ago, you're like, yo, I'm in New York. Random, you want to do a hot yoga that's so funny.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, look at the evolution of Jesse.
Speaker 4: That's really good. Now that's a good time for you. I was like, oh, remember when I couldn't And number two, I thought, I don't know that I'm in shape to do a hot yoga class because my.
Speaker 2: Past out the class.
Speaker 1: You'll be fine. You could lie down the whole class.
Speaker 4: Eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could. Literally, like the culture is you showed up. That's a win.
Speaker 4: I did it once. It was okay. I would have to try it again. I would do it with you. But then you're going to be standing on your head, So what I'm going to be able to can't touch my toes?
Speaker 1: It's okay, it's okay. So you just focus on your own Matt everybody.
Speaker 2: I know that's a good lesson in life.
Speaker 4: By the way, focus on your own, Matt, Guys, do what you need to do in your mat Do you remember.
Speaker 1: That little video that went viral.
Speaker 3: It was a little girl like trying to tire her car seat and her dad and moms trying to help her, and she's.
Speaker 1: Like, worry about yourself, worry about yourself.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. I need to see that.
Speaker 1: It's really good that little video. Has anyone seen that?
Speaker 2: No? I love that. It's your algorithm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, true, you forget worry about yourself, worry about yourself. No, no, worry about yourself. I was like, ooh, this little lady's Confucius. I love this.
Speaker 2: That's so good, it's so cute.
Speaker 4: What about the how has this changed? Because one thing about your fan base?
Speaker 2: They I mean I.
Speaker 4: Don't I don't know them as well as you do, clearly, but from the onside, it seems like they are very locked in with you, Like you have a very kind of organic fan base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did they.
Speaker 1: Move with your evolutions?
Speaker 4: Evolutions? And has anything surprised you about that?
Speaker 2: And how they see you?
Speaker 1: Or yeah, people seeing I.
Speaker 3: Throughout my life, there's been little chapters where like it feels like the human connection is very potent, like like when Gatekeeper dropped and then getting all the messages about like people who are also gone through some shit, and when Figures dropped, when Far Away dropped, when Couldn't be Me dropped. There's been there's certain there's certain songs that like hit a button, hit a button, and I guess, yeah, I guess even with the with the chapter changes, I've gotten Yeah, especially from interviews where I've talked about sobriety, I've gotten a shit lord of thank you for speaking of it. I'm going through it right now. Or I've relapsed and I saw this and it really inspired me to try again, or good luck, I'm eleven years in you got this, Like it's really sweet, but yeah, people have people have grown with me, which is nuts.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 3: I remember Bins told me that this was gonna happen years ago. He was like, you're gonna get blown away because all of a sudden, you're gonna start having kids at your show, babies at your show from the people that have grown with you, And that's happening.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, it's fucking wiry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like little kids with like little kiddo T shirt on are like yes, see, like it's just it's crazy, and that's that's wild. And it was really beautiful too, which hilarious, but like the for how much I feel like the industry is reluctant to embrace someone as multifaceted musically and creatively as me, because one could argue that I'm not as digestible because maybe I'm not packaged the way that people would want, or I speak about things that people wouldn't want, or whatever the fuck, or make too too vast a spectrum of music so that it can't be streamlined in a specific genre, whatever, all the all the reasons, it's really cool that on the other side of the organic side of what I'm doing that I'm loved for that. It's really nice and vindicating for having gripped onto what makes me me as opposed to bending and acquiescing earlier in my career for the sake of a shot that maybe a better career. I'm happy with what I got. I'm grateful for the achievements I've been able to touch while I'm alive, and also grateful to be able to share with my family because I know there's people that want to chase this and want to do it and then time passes and you lose people and you don't even get to like, you know, what's the farmer doesn't get to eat the fruit of their labor.
Speaker 1: But like I've been able to fucking feed people.
Speaker 3: So like I'm really grateful for that and grateful that that's my Like see, I told y'all, like see, because there's because I didn't need to concede.
Speaker 1: I didn't need to bend. I didn't need to That feels good, m H.
Speaker 2: And the fans, I think feel that, m H. People feel that. Yeah, but there is sacrifice in that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah of course, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But probably sacrifice the ship that you who knows if you even wanted that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fuck it, it wasn't meant for me. Wasn't meant for me.
Speaker 2: Does it look like you thought it would look?
Speaker 4: Because it's like you right, sorry, I was gonna say, you made your career your way coming up, Like it wasn't the vision right of how you thought it would go.
Speaker 3: No, No, because when you're because when you're a kid, you know, you think of life and you're like, well, I see the dreams and you only see the good because because you do, because that's just.
Speaker 1: How you dream you.
Speaker 3: But that's just the nature of life. Like you see the goal, and you see like the like, and that that applies everywhere, and that applies for everything. And that's also why you you you fuck up your quality of life if you don't make it a constant practice to be grateful for whatever the fuck you have, because people will straight here and want curlier, and people with husband want to be single, and people that are single long for their partner, and people with no kids long for kids, and vice versas. It's just it's a constant like you know, and you get the timeline that you were giving, you subscrit you you you vibrate in the timeline that that you were given. And if you don't fucking learn to appreciate that, then you live in a constant state of like what if, Oh but I wanted that at a constant state of longing and suffering. But you want that detachment and acceptance for whatever was given. That shit elevates quality of life so much because if you ask me, no, it doesn't look like it because I because I pictured such a I've pictured a utopia and I didn't realize that utopia had a fucking basement and there are bodies in that basement. So it's not fucking you know, it's not built on nothing. That has been a little bit of a mind fuck coming into it. But every day I practice the like wait a minute, like And it also helps when I talk to people that have known me from time to be like can believe it? Like from from busking to this, from from Kensington Market to this, from like that. That's those are really nice reminders and anchors into the moment where I could be like, this might not look like exactly what I wanted, but but no one looks at their dreams aware of the basement.
Speaker 1: Everyone always only looks at that.
Speaker 4: So good, yeah, the body in the basement. And also a lot of times I think our dreams, or the images of what we think a version of I want a successful career creating, making music, whatever is fed to us by other people's stories. Right, So, like you're a young girl and you're watching people what is dead?
Speaker 2: And could you imagine what the what she was dealing with the journ you know, in the fights that she had to do.
Speaker 4: So you only see your dreams only like images of what are.
Speaker 1: Fed but you don't know, You don't know till you do it.
Speaker 4: So that is the key, right, is too to find the gratitude And what are your garden.
Speaker 2: Trying to find gratitude every day? Whatever you're doing. You could be a.
Speaker 4: Teacher, a kindergarten teacher and love teaching the kids, but your idea of being a successful kindergarten teacher is doing it at this private school in this bubble neighborhood.
Speaker 2: And this is like you're chasing something that's the image of.
Speaker 4: What you think it is, and then you're in the joy of that today you made a little kid learn how to do whatever, like you could just miss the joys of our actual real life. And there goes your life, chasing a version of something that we don't even know. It's like bits and pieces of things we saw other people do and it's not it's not real.
Speaker 3: You don't even know if it would make you happy. Maybe the bus at that private school's a dick. And then you go on and then you shot away the fun years at the other school because you were just longing for something else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, guys, you ever signed up for a phone plan thinking Wow, what a great price, and then a few months later it's like, surprise, your bill is higher.
Speaker 2: We hate that.
Speaker 4: With Boost Mobile, you paid twenty five dollars a month forever. That's unlimited talk, texts, and data starting at just twenty five dollars a month. There's no price hikes, there's no contract, and this is forever. Plus, Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They invested billions building five G towers across the country. So what you need to do is visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local Boots store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five G speeds not available in all areas. After thirty gigabytes, customers may experience lower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars a month as long as they remain active on the Boost Unlimited plan.
Speaker 3: Who is this from?
Speaker 4: Say, it's brought to you by boost Mobile.
Speaker 2: It's brought to us by Boost Mobile.
Speaker 4: It's from step from Steph and this is from somebody named Stephanie, Stephanie or stephan Stephanie.
Speaker 5: For me, Hey, hi Jesse, Steph here.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge fan.
Speaker 5: I especially love your song Gonliento for me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, you know, I can identify with going through a tumultuous relationship and trying to believe that things will change until you reach a point where you just need peace despite that love. It's a beautiful song, but I think hearing and Spanish really deepen that meaning for me. And I wonder when you're writing from a deep placed emotion, do you know immediately whether that feeling should be expressed in English or in Spanish?
Speaker 1: Hello Steph, thank you for your voice. Notes.
Speaker 3: I actually write more in English because I went to school in Canada, so my lexicon is vast and I read in English often too, so that's where I pull a lot of my wording. However, my first language is Spanish, and I learned to love in Spanish and I learned to be a human being in Spanish. So it's funny because the Spanish songs are very like potent, as you said, like one of the banto's very it's potent, and it's close, and they're never they're never like, they're always detailed and heavy with emotion. I think it's because of that. I think because because it's the language I learned to love, and it's almost like when people hear that it's like they take a step forward. It's more intimate, but they happen to you and far they happen a lot less, and the English ones because I find my quality out of quantity. Like I'll go in the studio and make five songs, five shiit songs. Maybe one of them is good, and then that's the one I'll focus on. That's my rhythm. But with Spanish songs, it takes me longer. And because I'm used to my speed, I get annoyed at myself for not having the same lexicon and Spanish, and I get annoyed that it takes me longer.
Speaker 1: So I don't do that often.
Speaker 2: Because she asked about that, I was just looking up your lyrics.
Speaker 4: For begging for lovelet's talking to me about.
Speaker 2: That song when you came in. These are so good? Is this inspired by.
Speaker 1: What did you call him? This is real life?
Speaker 3: No, this isn't No, this wasn't inspired by the bomb. This was inspired by a decent guy. But yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The decent guy made you feel like you were begging for.
Speaker 1: Love because.
Speaker 3: Because this is a this is a story. Because after the really tumultuous relationship, I turned into.
Speaker 2: A very.
Speaker 3: Detached stick skinned thing. And then I met a really sweet guy and he just tried to lay everything out and I was like, nah, I gotta work, I gotta do and this is really funny. Should I say this? I fuck it. The we were when we started hanging out, everything was cool, but I had just come out of this other fucking hell hole, so I knew better. I was like, yeah, I'm not gonna like chill. And we were hanging out and it had been a couple of months, and then they said something about like a girlfriend or something, and I was like, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 1: I'm like, we gotta you.
Speaker 3: Know, and then they looked at me and they're like, wait, what do you mean, Like We've already been hanging out this long and I've caught feelings like it's too late.
Speaker 1: And I was like, what do you mean it too late? I'm like, let's do that.
Speaker 3: He's like no, He's like, I'm not the point that it's either all or nothing, So we're either going to try this or we stopped. His motherfucker him. He was an ultimatum, and he was a great guy and I liked him, so I conceded, which was a mistake because then we were together for years and it sucks because he was trying and I just wasn't ready. I wasn't ready. I was still healing. I still had like trauma to fucking get through. My hierarchy of priorities was shit. I wasn't even in the top three. I wasn't even in the top three.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like he was going to be seven floor yeah, you know. So that made it really difficult, and then it took me. We were together for a couple of years, and then I went on my first solo trip and I read this law, this book called the Seven Laws of Divine Compensation, and another book called Return to Love, I think, and it just put a lot of shit into perspective. Oh no, wait, I got it.
Speaker 1: Wait, okay.
Speaker 3: So I was on tour, right, I was on tour in Europe, and they were just on me about some ship. Which was normal. It was normal that they wanted relationship things. But I just wasn't providing because I was like work and this and that. And I got upset at them because they were asking me for some shit and I was on tour and I was like, you're trying to stress me about fucking mundane domestic shit when I'm trying to focus on fucking moving mountains, so like, and it was my birthday week. I was like, you're doing too much because and then no, this is crazy. I hope I don't regret saying this.
Speaker 2: Then you can tell me.
Speaker 1: If we Yeah, okay, I'm gonna skip over that part anyway. He he he was like, maybe.
Speaker 3: We should go on a break, because I had suggested that before and he was like, no, whatever. Anyways, he said maybe we should go on He said, maybe we should go on a break, And in my head, I was like, perfect, perfect, a break. I need a break and I need to work and I need space. This is perfect in my head. But I didn't say it out loud, but I assumed that it was assumed because I'm fried, because now in retrospect, I don't know why the fuck I didn't just say, okay, great, let's go on a break.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: I just assumed the break started asap, so I was like left the message alone. And then and then and then I was on tour for a few more weeks, and then I got home and then all of a sudden, it had been three weeks, and then all of a sudden, it had been four weeks, and then at four weeks, I finally like when on my solo trip, Red got my shit together, and I was like, I'm fucking up, Like this guy's been consistent, he's great, he's got a good heart, my family likes him, like everything's cool. And then I was waiting because I thought maybe he'd reach out. And then fourth week came and nothing. And then fifth week came and I was like, oh, strange, Like is this break like get on time and anyways, I'm like strange. And then the six week came and he didn't say nothing, and I was like and then I finally hit him up and I was like, hey, what's up, Like so we doing it? He's like, we're doing this. He was like, Jesse, you ghosted me. And I was like what.
Speaker 4: My god.
Speaker 1: I was like, what do you mean? I thought we were going to He's like, you didn't fucking you didn't say anything. You didn't say anything, you didn't confirm. He's like, I thought you were just ghosted me.
Speaker 3: I thought we were like so he had already like moved on and soused his fucking bruises and I yeah, and it was what it was. And so then anyway, So then that we had been together for two and a half years at that point, and then I spent about a year trying to mend it when I should have just respected it and been like because because that hurt longer.
Speaker 1: Than it needed to.
Speaker 3: And then during that year, obviously he wasn't perfect. He was not perfect. He also there was there was also other reasons why I wasn't ready to like be everything that he wanted me to be, because there were things in him that were missing so that it couldn't I couldn't relax and be as submissive as I wanted to in that situation anyway, But but there were certain.
Speaker 1: Things that he would do that would piss me off.
Speaker 3: And so then in an effort to like, I was also angry during that time because it felt like I was begging for love from someone that should have or that did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was I think it was cope, hope, cope, cope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a little bit of cope as well, But it was also true at the time because it felt like I was and he he had he has has achilles. He lives that he's too kind and too nice, where he should have just set the boundary and been like, you know, but we would still communicate and we would still talk all the time, and we would still you know, so it made it difficult.
Speaker 2: Hmmmm.
Speaker 3: But he's good, he's he's we haven't talked in a long time, but he's we I think we both under Yeah, it's just it's in the wind.
Speaker 1: That's in the past.
Speaker 3: I learned my lessons, he learned his, and we grow and it just wasn't we weren't met for each other timing maybe ye who yeah, no, no, no, I think yeah, because that insinuates like no, no, no, I think it's in the wind.
Speaker 4: In the wind, in the wind, that's a good term. That's not what I thought this song was about.
Speaker 3: But he had bump qualities like that, fucking like oh go, he had bump quality like wasn't as ambitious as me. Uh huh, So why the fuck are you playing video games? When we should be like fuck are you playing video games? And we should be talking about like making bread or like making movements. So there were things that I was like, this is whack. I hate this for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty good? Yeah, made a good song, made a song, made a great song, great song.
Speaker 4: I always loved that lyric You the fuck you make me feel like I'm asking for too much. But maybe I'm asking the wrong one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was just the wrong one.
Speaker 2: You were the wrong one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The fuck am I bagging for love?
Speaker 1: For Yeah? I'm asking for a fish to fly? The fuck?
Speaker 2: Am I doing this? So good? And it's so fun at the concerts to watch everybody singing that song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they feel that one.
Speaker 2: It goes, It goes so good. So that was some of the inspiration of that album. What is this? What is the inspiration of this album coming?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Is it the space that you were in? Or no, I'm needing.
Speaker 3: I can tell you through songs. I can tell you through song Who what song? Which song belongs to?
Speaker 6: Who?
Speaker 2: On the album that's coming? Oh? They have, they have songs on this album.
Speaker 1: Still I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think the video the video game player don't But the bomb from couldn't be me? That the bum from couldn't be me song. But the song is just like off, It's one of those songs.
Speaker 2: That he know that these songs are for him. I think so.
Speaker 1: But who cares? Who cares?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who cares?
Speaker 4: Fuck?
Speaker 1: I love the song that I really like it.
Speaker 3: I really like the songs called It's called Dusty's.
Speaker 2: The Good, that's these good too good.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm gonna go straight to that when I get the album, I'm gonna go straight.
Speaker 1: To Dusty Crazy.
Speaker 2: How can you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: I just don't appreciate having these sort of blind spots, because you're right. If I'm astute everywhere else, why is my heart blind? It doesn't make no fucking sense.
Speaker 2: I don't think your heart is blind.
Speaker 1: Stupid, don't you see it? You're just making wrong decisions.
Speaker 2: No, I think you There's a whole bunch of reasons why we make wrong decisions. Sometimes we don't want.
Speaker 4: It, so we picked wrong to have an easy way out.
Speaker 3: Also, I love that for me because I've also discovered that I have that, like the avoidant attachment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want it. I don't really want it. So I'm gonna pick this guy because he's gonna give me an easy way out.
Speaker 1: The first time I learned about that, I felt so attacked. I felt so attacked under the table.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, when.
Speaker 3: You first anyone, when you learn about when you learn something that's so integral to you that you've had your whole life, that you didn't know you had. It's like, it's like living in a house for thirty years and then discovering that there was a bedroom next to your fucking bedroom.
Speaker 1: That's what it feels like, What the fuck am I? This is? This has been, this is what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm doing because you're not wrong, that's that that's also contributed. Oh my god, when I learned about that, I was floored. I felt so, I felt naked. It's just so fucking spooky.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But then the more you learn and the more you uncover, then you make better choices or or you're just clearer, or you make the same choices.
Speaker 2: But you're clear about it.
Speaker 1: You're aware.
Speaker 2: You're aware at least aware, like, I don't really want something, so I'm just gonna do this because this will be easy to get out of it.
Speaker 4: At least you know it. You can say it out loud to yourself, and then you This probably gives you less stress and less pain because you know what you did there as supposed to like, as opposed to be. Here are all the red flags, but I'm gonna get with him anyway.
Speaker 2: And then then you're broken.
Speaker 4: Hearted because you fell in love Were you really in love though, or was it just attachments?
Speaker 1: No, that was I haven't felt that in years.
Speaker 2: That was love.
Speaker 1: That was that was I think that.
Speaker 2: Was What is that to you? Love? What does that mean?
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I used to think that love was being willing to die for someone years ago. I used to think that that was it. I think maybe it's still part of it. And then I came to the conclusion that maybe love is peace. But then I read I read some I can't remember what book it was, but they were like, no, love is wanting to see someone reach their highest self and reach their like wanting the best for someone else. And that one reads that that one resonates for me. Or I'm like, that's real, that's selfless. I want the best for you. That's really selfless. I think that's really beautiful, and I kind of wanted that for him.
Speaker 1: It was both. It was the passion and it was like, I want what was best for you.
Speaker 2: That's love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still a bum but that's outward love.
Speaker 2: That's how you love them, right. How do you receive love?
Speaker 1: How do I receive love? Acts of service?
Speaker 3: In my love language, I love acts of service is like be competent, and be of use help me, and that is that shit makes me mel But that's who scary because because then someone will suck everywhere else. And then if they do that, that's like the.
Speaker 2: Like seventeen red flags.
Speaker 4: But they but they do that, I don't know, dinner and well not well.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure clean up, yeah that way, yeah, yeah, something like that. Acts of service is my love language. What's your love language?
Speaker 2: What is my love language?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Oh? What are they again? What are the what are they gives?
Speaker 3: Acts of service, words of affirmation, quality time and physical.
Speaker 4: Touch, quality time and words of affirmation quality time time, not just time. I don't need a lot of time. I don't like a lot of time, but I like it to be intentional and quality. And then words of affirmation because I like clarity and so I don't. I don't need words off. I don't need you to gas me, don't. I don't need words of information.
Speaker 2: You're this, you're so this. I need words of affirmation as.
Speaker 1: This is what we're clarity.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: They this is where you stand, This is where I see what's going.
Speaker 2: All of that. It's good for me.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 2: Acts service is cool. Gifts I don't really.
Speaker 4: I mean, I like gifts like anybody else, but it's not really a thing for me.
Speaker 1: I love them, you love it, Oh my god. Mm hmm, it's the same. Yeah, it's so. It's so like me, make my life easier, makes me now.
Speaker 3: You can have it all confident and make my life easier, and you like yeah, because.
Speaker 4: I like it too. It's nice you feel cared for whatever. I don't like fake access service. I guess I don't like somebody doing I don't like performative acts of service. And so maybe if they know, yeah, like if you profess that here on the show today, and then some guys like, hey, Jesse, I just cleaned your car, I don't like. Yeah, that's disgusting.
Speaker 1: It has to be.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: But it's like we're telling people to go left and go right, like do it, but do it only of your own volition and pretend like you never had me say it exactly.
Speaker 2: Now you've got it. Hey, guys.
Speaker 4: Support for this podcast is brought to you by Walden University. Have you ever thought to yourself, what if I could go after what I actually want and I could really make a difference. Well, you are not alone. And this is exactly why I want to tell you about Walden University. For over fifty years, Walden has helped working adults like you get the w with the knowledge, the skills and everything you need to build the future that you want. And you can make a difference where it matters most. If you've been waiting for the right moment, this is it. Head to waldenu dot edu and take that first step. Walden University set a course for change certified to operate by SHIV. All right, irl hole time was Jesse Ray has Oh this is all there is in here.
Speaker 2: You got a limited amount of questions. See if you get this is our IRL bowl set up by Walden University.
Speaker 3: The best kind of friend is someone who doesn't make me feel guilty for fucking having a workaholic life. And yeah, well you just where you feel like you could just like take off your armor and just be and not feel guilty for the reason that every other relationship in my life suffers, which is like, you know, work a lot and keeping my head down and not being able to be there as much because I don't think I'm the best friend that I could be. I could be a better friend for people. I could be a better everything for people if I made this side of my life suffer and took that time and apply to here. But because my life hasn't been that, the few friends in my life that I have that are like understand my fear e comitment and understand my fear of like I can't. I can't tell you that I'm going to come to this birthday party because if something switches with work, I'm gonna have to do this when I don't feel guilty for that. That's such a it's love. It's understanding You're prone to feel guilty, probably right, God is the worst. And I hate holding that emotion because it permeates and then I try to compensate. So now apart from failing from achieving, apart from failing from giving you that in the first place, because I got to put all my time over here, now I got to take time from here and apply it to remedy what I couldn't even do the first time over it sucks.
Speaker 2: I hate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I've got But I got really good friends in my life that are that are.
Speaker 4: That was a good question for you, Yeah, all right, in real life, let's go through these before you go. Okay, speed round, it doesn't have to be a speed round. Okay, in real life, you are no longer available for?
Speaker 2: What are you no longer available for?
Speaker 4: Fuck?
Speaker 3: You just asked me for a speed round and look at me taking my time? In real life? Yes, I am no longer available for doing shit I don't want to do. Yeah, very general, very valid in real life. When are you your happiest in real life? I am my happiest when I am with my loved ones, with my family, with my pup in the woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be about to be there soon. Well, what is there some type of emergency going on in our city?
Speaker 1: Because this thank you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that what it was? Is that what was happening?
Speaker 4: Okay in real life? What was the last time you cried from gratitude.
Speaker 1: In real life?
Speaker 3: The last time I cried from gratitude was today. Yeah. I was saying my thank yous because because people have always been supportive, you know, and like it's not like the industry as a whole, but like certain people and uh, yeah, I was just I was just expressing that that I was really really grateful to have had early support because I know not everybody gets that, do.
Speaker 4: You really believe in your soul that you're ready to retire.
Speaker 3: I feel like I could, really, yeah, I feel like I could, but I don't know. But the thing is like, I don't I know, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But I'm just tired. I'm just tired.
Speaker 3: I'm tired, and I like, yeah, doing the inventory is it's shitty, because like, it's not shitty, it's just what.
Speaker 1: It's the way.
Speaker 3: It's the way my cars have been dealt. But the reason when of the this has been so fruitful because all of my energy has gone there and then a lot of energy that could have been a lot of to other places hasn't, you know. So that's a little difficult to consolidate and what pushes me more towards being like, Okay, well I've done this many years, so maybe the other sides of your life could take take a bit.
Speaker 4: M hmm.
Speaker 6: What is the one thing you if you could, if you could grab it right now and put the energy into it, you know, is there a bucket, is there a hole or is there something that you would fill up first?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmmmm. Yeah, probably family time.
Speaker 4: M from a girl who spends so much time with her fan. I know you've been on the road and that was that war on you, but in your life.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, because it's not just my parents have had the ability to come on roll with me, but like everybody hasn't. My nieces haven't, my nephews haven't, zone and my cousin's like, it's just not you, miss you, miss I Again, I say this, I say because it's a double edged so it's just two truths can't exist that once. I'm grateful a normal outlier. I know this is like you know, but it costs, but it costs you, and there's a lot of shit you mis especially especially if you're like a bout it and you're like, all right, I'm giving it all because because I go, because I work, because I like I go. But it costs you, and it doesn't cost the same for every It doesn't cost the same for everybody else. I understand that, Like Okay, well, but like there's people on the road with you, and there's people that also tour on you, and there's people on your team, and there's people on like yeah, but the price is not the same. As you said earlier, You're like, you're creative, it's all the time it's there all the time, and then you become a product. And I don't want to sound it's crazy, because as I'm saying it, there's another side of me that's like, you're crying in a castle. You're crying in a castle. And I know that it's difficult for anyone that hasn't been in my shoes to empathize with the feeling that I have. And I know that it sounds ungrateful, and I know that it sounds like privilege, and I know that and I know that, but it's but I'd be but I'd be doing a disservice to myself if I didn't hold space for where my emotions have landed about it and understanding that it's like everything has a cost, everything has a price, and this price hurts like it's not it's not something that's been easy. And yeah, yeah, there's not something that's been easy.
Speaker 2: I don't think you sound that way at all.
Speaker 4: Thank you sound very grateful and very self aware and like it's not You're not complaining about frivolous shit. I just want to tap into your soul and your family and your things that.
Speaker 2: Fill you up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think you're going to be okay. I think you're going to be okay.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, today's going to be so rough. Even just said that exact same sentence to me, and I started crying.
Speaker 2: To you. I was like, oh you said you brother. I love you, Brove.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: That's why I was crying because as soon as it was ever, I was like, thank you for supporting me, thank you for like contributing. We've known each other for so many years, which is even crazy to say, but like, yeah, I'm just I'm very I'm grateful because it's much as it's been difficult. Also, there's been so many beautiful things that have like, yeah, it's been it's been a wild.
Speaker 2: Just thing in your hand, let me see it.
Speaker 3: The other one, this is a h yeah, my dad do it on tour, like a couple of tours ago.
Speaker 2: We need to get a shadows.
Speaker 3: It's a reminder the smile bitch. I have it so when I'm pissed that can look at it. I want you think it helps. It's it's served because I'll be I'll be in the bathroom being.
Speaker 1: Like and then I'll look down and it's like, would.
Speaker 4: It be weird if I got one a little bit weird when he gives Stockery a little like when you give like absolutely not, it's for it's for your it's for your benefits. Okay, I want it, all right, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna get one I have. This is mind is similar.
Speaker 1: Because it brings you, it reminds you, just like yeah.
Speaker 4: Because also it's like if you if I wave to somebody, it's there, Oh, hilarious, like protect, Yes, it's like protect.
Speaker 2: And it's just yeah, it says I don't know, well anyway, similar that in real life, what do you what are you most proud of about yourself?
Speaker 1: In real life? I am most proud of staying realm. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's not even it's it's it's a it's a it's a seed I didn't even plant, but I'm proud of it.
Speaker 1: My mom planted that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She was always like just let me be me, let me be me. And also as a I've said this before, like as as a woman also Latina, like there's a lot of you know, she should be in a dress, or like her hair should be done, or like her nails aren't done, or like just you know, there's a lot and she just did this and like shielded me from it and then took it herself because I know it wasn't easy to feel all that and hear all that, but like didn't project it onto me.
Speaker 1: Just was like, be yourself.
Speaker 3: And that is such a fucking gift, especially as an adult because I see it's it's I just had it as a child and I was able to like nurture and watch it grow.
Speaker 1: But I know it sucks.
Speaker 3: I see people that struggle to like be themselves, or see people that struggle to like be transparent or walk in their truth or like you know, so I think I'm most part of that. Yeah, you should be thank you, thank.
Speaker 4: You, And we'll end with our my favorite IRL question, which you use the word divine right If God were to text you right now today, Jessee, if he were to text you right now on your phone, what would it say?
Speaker 1: What would he say? What a question?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: What would it say?
Speaker 2: What would it say? Like if today it came to text from God today.
Speaker 3: I feel like the divine is wholeness and love, and so maybe it would be a reminder of like that. Maybe it would be something like You're gonna be okay, you know, maybe it would be something like that. Imagine, don't cross the street on six and seven because you're gonna break away, You're like something crazy. But yeah, I think maybe it would be it would be something that would reflect what I what my version of God is. In my version of God is not something someone some some essence that's like judgmental or just it's just wholeness. It's wholeness. Maybe it would just be heart amoji yeah, or that yeah, or a little yeah. Well no, maybe it would just be like a little smile, what a what a sick question?
Speaker 2: What would just be today? Oh I have to think about today. I got you?
Speaker 1: I got you. Ah, that's beautiful. Does that make I love that? That's so beautiful? Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I'm always like I'm in the middle of like a lot of different things in my life right now, moving, changing, switching. I'm just like in the middle of a lot, and so my prayer is usually around like I trust you to show me, lead me, help me to be in my purpose. And so when I if I can just trust, it's usually okay because I'm usually guided in.
Speaker 2: The right way. Amen.
Speaker 4: So that's why I think right now he'd probably remind me that he got me sick.
Speaker 3: There's so much weight that or she Yeah, so much weight that leads when you let God like just like God, drive like God drive, Yeah, like lead like Jesus take the wheel. There's so much weight that gets alleviated in faith.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 2: I love you, love you. I can't wait to do this again.
Speaker 4: After you take you take a big h and you're gonna come back and your album will have been out and done really well, and you'll you'll be refreshed, and you'll have a new perspective and new things you want to share, and you'll be bright eyed and rested and bushytailed.
Speaker 3: Then I can't wait and bushy tailed if I come back and I make another fucking song or I start crying about a bum and g I'm gonna be fucking I'm gonna be fucking pissed.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, that better.
Speaker 2: Lu I can't wait. I can't wait to see whatever evolution.
Speaker 4: It's in God's It's in God's hands.
Speaker 2: Jesse Ray is in real life, y'all.
Speaker 1: Is Jesse's Legiti in real life.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, thanks for watching.
Speaker 4: Make sure you subscribe, like comments and check out all of the other episodes we have on Edge.
Speaker 2: Martinez I R O Podcast