Speaker 1: I'm Thomas White.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Fish on First on Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 3: Fish Unfiltered, Episode one fourteen here on the Fish on First podcast presented by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm Eli Susman, the founder of fof along with Kevin Burrall here on Unfiltered Weekend's episode of the show, the second Unfiltered of the week. If you've already missed it, I've been living under a rock. We had the biggest guest possible, Bruce Sherman, principal owner of the Marlins, on the pod, So i'pe you listen to that if you haven't already coming out of the All Star break, and then since then the Marlins have lost the game. By the time you listen to this show, they may have lost another game, they may have won, but we're kind of getting extremely close to deadline mode here on the show here across Fish on First, and as kind of a tie into that in terms of what the Marls maybe looking for from outside the organization, I wanted to do this special show just to really take a close look at who they have inside the organization. Guys that aren't on the big league team right now, but many that we've seen on the big league team at various times this year or the year before, and other guys that are absolutely pounding on the door with Triple A Jacksonville.
Speaker 4: So this is the idea I came up.
Speaker 3: With with Kevin, that we just want to get caught up on guys that maybe we don't mention enough on Unfiltered or even enough on streams. We've been covering them on our prospects reports in other ways, but frankly, some of these guys have kind of fallen through the cracks and been forgotten about, and I felt it was a good idea to just check in on all these various players and how they can help over the course of the season. So yeah, without further ado, we're going to dive right into it. This in two parts, first looking at the hitters and then the position player side. So flashing on the screen for those of you watching on YouTube, Kevin, you can open up where you want to when it comes to the hitters that are down in Jacksonville right now. Who jumps out in terms of a guy that you want to see at the big league level, Who deserves a shot that's now currently in Miami, but could be very soon and could actually make a difference in terms of what the Marlins are trying to do this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to go all the way at the bottom. When the outfielders. Cam Canerella just got promoted to Jacksonville, And it was interesting, right because he only plays thirty four games in Pensacola. Started the year in Hia, got hurt in Hia, came back, and ever since then he's been tearing it up and really felt like he didn't need the Double A level all too much. He absolutely raked there and now he's in Triple He only played one game so far as we're recording. They didn't do anything in that game. I'll put some contact, but nothing else outside of that. I really think the Marls make this move assuming trying to see if they could get anything else out of Canerella in Triple A and hopes that he could help this team out at the major league level late into the season for one final playoff push as an internal add through the death line. As we like to say, he's having an awesome year, not striking out a lot. I think the concern still remains on the defensive side of things just isn't exactly what you assume. I know, he spoke to Isaac and Carver about, you know, the possibility of him, you know, finally having his arm b one hundred percent, which was something that I think, I think is really important. But with the struggles of Marci at the major league level, Canerella kind of continuing to maybe push him a little more and that gap that once was starting to really shorten and becomes smaller. And you know, he's only striking out thirteen percent of the time this season, which is insane. He's also walking thirteen percent of the time, which is also really impressive. The power, I think is the biggest surprise out of everything. Not a guy that was known for his power, but we're starting to see that a lot more now. Twelve home runs this season. I think the only downside is the stolen bases. He only has ten of them this year. He's a guy who does have speed, like he's a fast dude with a lot of speed. I wish we could see a little bit more of that, especially on the base paths, but Canerella is certainly a guy that stands out, at least amongst the guys that you know, half prospect pedigree and really have a shot at coming up this year.
Speaker 4: As you mentioned, he's the brand newest edition there.
Speaker 3: He's played one game at the rivallet level so far, something I did not realize. He is the first position player in his draft class from the twenty twenty five class to actually legit and make it to Triple A via promotion, like I had assumed. In some years we see guys that are really fast tracked across the league and are writing the majors within a year, but that hasn't really happened with that draft class. He shines out like he is not just in the Marlins organ but across the baseball He is one of the best players to come out of that twenty five class so far. Even by missing time due to injury earlier this year, he's been so amazing when he's been healthy. With all these guys, it ties in directly to whose not alternatives are at the big league level, and with him, him and Marcy.
Speaker 4: Are like tied up the hip here.
Speaker 3: They're both left handed hitting outfield who can play a lot of center field, and who have the ability to both hit for some power and run the bases. Statistically Marcy last year. Really the main difference was that he was just stealing a lot more bases, but he was getting a lot fewer hits as well. Like what Canarella is doing opsing over a thousand is just completely unheard of, considering that this is his first time at these levels. The way that he's dominating is off the charts, and that's kind of why he's even worth mentioning when ordinarily I would just flatly turn it down, say this guy is going to wait until twenty twenty seven, but the results have been so amazing. You mentioned the power on how many of those home runs go to the opposite field too. That's what just really stood out is that a guy that we assumed his profile was going to be poking balls to the opposite field for singles, some of those have gone over the fence for homers in a way that I couldn't have anticipated. They're going to give him some time at Jacksonville, Like this isn't one that you could really make the immedia case. I'll have to prove himself a little bit. It's just that I think as soon as September first is when this becomes a real conversation especially if Marcy is struggling. I don't think they're going to send down Marcy. I think what it's gonna be a question of whether they simply bench him once rosters expand at the end of the year if he doesn't eventually turn it around. That has been kind of the biggest negative surprise on the offense designed for the Marlins this year is now Marcy has been such a liability after being their best hurt late last season. So yeah, they are kind of tied together there as they once again, I'm going to pull up all the hitters that we have down there in Jacksonville to look at the Jetski Rentals of South Florida. They present all of our podcast efforts here on Fish on First, Miami's best jet ski in boat adventures. Jetski Rentals love South Florida with six jitski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats. There's something for every style and every budget. Right Jetski's riding from the downtown Skyline in Ferris Wheel or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only. To book call three h five nine to nine OHO two or check them out online at SF jet Ski rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code fish on first and that gets to a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again, that's three h five nine nine to OHO two one nine two or online at SF jets Ski rentals dot com. Another one that just came back from injury was Maximo Costa, something that I have on my radar just because of the alternatives here. One of the reasons why this episode idea came to me is just because the models are in a position where they're still so weak on these right handed hitting bench beats right now. On their active roster. You have Leyo Jimenez, you have a Reese Hines, you have Brian Navareto, guys that like are all right handed hitting, and I guess they're meant to like even they're meant to compliment all the lefties on this roster, but they just can't hit.
Speaker 4: None of them can hit at all.
Speaker 3: And yet at the minor league level, you have now a Costa back from an injury, guys that have been healthy, and we're demoted from the big league team Augustine Ramirez and Connor norby your top of mind too, That's not the reason why I want to do this episode, because I don't want to forget about those guys who were conceivably gonna be big parts of this team entering this year. I mentioned this on the rounding table that we did, Kevin, so I wanted to just for you to expand on that a little bit between Gus and Norby, guys that we've seen can be really productive in stretches, really productive big league hitters that are right handed hitters. Which of them do you think makes more sense for this roster at some point down the stretch. Which one of them do you think could get closer to saving their season that to this point has gone pretty poorly.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of it depends on what the Marlins do at the major league level with the trade deadline. I know a lot of reports are going out there saying that the Marlins may move big league pieces for big league pieces, and that seems to be the notion for a lot of teams, not just the Marlins, but you could see a world where they move. I saw Ken mention this name, so I'll only mention it because he did. Liam Hicks, like I would be stunted they move them. But you know they have catched I guess, quote unquote catching that they believe Augustin is still a which I don't think he is. I know Clayton told us on the podcast a couple of weeks ago that they may try him at first base, and that continues to be the case and something that they may be still pushing for.
Speaker 1: I would personally try it. Augustine.
Speaker 5: The bad is legit. I think he has a lot of power. He goes the opposite field, he uses the whole field. He could still help you out of the base running department too, just a little bit. He's the guy who really stands out still with the bat. I know the defense isn't there, and he gets a lot of slack for that, and that's a big reason why he has struggled offensively because of the defense, in my opinion, So if you just take the defensive aspect out of it completely, I think Augustin could really help this team against left handed pitching too. And I know the consensus would be like, hey, he could still catch every couple of weeks against one of there's a lefty on the mountin he would played, but most of the time would have to be their DH or first base. And that's the big thing there too with Norby.
Speaker 1: Norby, I really don't.
Speaker 5: I think the power just doesn't there with him anymore like it once used to be. It's a lot of warning track does at the warning track just still striking out now. First base isn't an issue, and he's very I don't think he's played first base since he's gone to Jacksonville maybe a couple times. It's been a lot of third, It's been a lot of the corner outfield spots. So they're trying him out to see what sticks, but to see maybe if the bat could take him a next step. But right now, if if I had to call someone up between one of the two, it would definitely be gus, just to see if you could get something out of the bat and help you out offensively, because because as you said, he like a team with Brian Avarett and Laojimenez on your bench certainly is not a playoff caliber team, at least sustainably. I think you need to obviously they're gonna make moves, but you know, Gus is right there. I even think, like, I know he's not a right handed hitter, but Graham Polys look really good in triple A. And I know we do this same song and dance for the last two years where he comes up finally he's good and you know after the second stint, but he looked good in the limited sample size he did come back from that Saint Louis game. It was very little, but it was very good for the limited aspect of it. And I wouldn't have sett him back down. I know they did, but I would like to see another shot at Graham Polly up in the make big league level. He has the best defensive third basement amongst the three, and I think like has the highest floor amongst Lao, at least between him and Lao. Like you know, san Ojas floor is already quite high just because he could play different positions. But I think offensively, Pauli has the better, better outlook in terms of like, hey, if he puts it all together, he could be He has the power, he could hit to all fields. Great defensive third baseman, Like that's a solid player at the end of the day that if he's giving you between the ninety to ninety five WRC plus, you're happy with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which just one other hitter. I wanted to touch on on this segment. If people were giving I don't know, ten guesses to assume who the best offensive performer has been for Jacksonville the last couple of months, I think they would use up all their guesses and still not land on Gage Miller. His numbers are still incredible. We had a discussion on where to put him on the FLFT Top thirty when we reranked last month, and I kind of convinced you guys that know, this guy's kind of a fluke. He's only playing part time when he is playing with Jacksonville this year, Gage Miller, and he's an infielder. If anybody that's unaware, they would not recognize his face.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 3: But a twenty twenty four draft pick plays several infield spots. He's slashing three point fifty one, four sixty seven, six point twenty two. That's in twenty three games with Jacksonville. It's an ops near eleven hundred five homers in that time, nearly as many walks as strikeouts. I know you took notice of him when he's put up numbers. He's still putting up numbers even if he's a has been playing a ton, So you know, where are you on him in terms of is he gonna have any role with this team? Given that in his limited time he's actually been really productive.
Speaker 5: I think the one thing you noted to us when we were talking about the top thirty was he's not playing every day, and even then, you know, if he was playing just a little bit more, maybe they would be of consideration. I think he's been great. He's having a really good year. He was great in Pensacola, gets the promotion, he's actually been even better in Jacksonville. He's only played twenty three games, but he's not striking out all. He's walking more than he's striking out as well. And he's also not playing third base full time. He's playing a lot of second as well. Like he's really been splitting time between those two spots. I personally, of course, like if you get an opportunity to call up a better bat than what the Marnins currently have at third base, of course you try to take that risk.
Speaker 1: Will they do it? I think it's unlikely.
Speaker 5: You would have to clear out a forty man spot and it would just be a whole thing. And I don't know if they think this guy's ready. I think what I think is more realistic is that Gage Miller is an NRI next year and he tries to compete for the third base job unless they make a move this trade deadline with for a guy who has multiple years of control, which I doubt. I think they'll go for a rental or a guy who has an option for next season. So yeah, that's where I kind of stand with Gage Miller. One other guy wanted to mention in Jacksonville who has quietly had a good year, not talked about often, is Andrew Pinar.
Speaker 1: He's been pretty good.
Speaker 5: He's guy who could play all three outfield spots, plays a good primarily center. He's probably gonna move over to the corners now because camp Knerella now up there. But Pintar is having a good year. Eight homers, twenty one stolen bases, he's walking eleven percent of the time, one of five WRC plus. Maybe not a guy he'll call up, but maybe a guy who could you know, be of interest to other teams at the trade deadline if they think this is a player that could potentially get a better opportunity elsewhere. The Martins had an opportunity to forty man him last season to protect him from the Rule five. They decided not to do that. They could do it again this offseason. I think there's a better chance he goes this time around than last year if he goes on protected. Obviously that's all on hold because of the pending lockout, but he's a guy who's really stood out to me. Him and Engage Miller are like two guys in a very interesting spot because yes, they are probably worthy of a call up, but knowing the Marlins, they probably won't do it. And I think, honestly, if you could cash in on those two guys for players at the deadline, you go ahead and do it somehow.
Speaker 3: We have brought up Kemp Alderman, so that's a very li that I'll mentioned here because he was top of mind entering this season after being their Minor League Player of the Year last year, and that was when he was only an outfielder. He's added first base verstsatility during the course of the season. He's kind of hit exactly as advertised this year he's right around three hundred with a nine hundred ops and homering at a rate that's like a thirty home run pace if he was fully healthy. He missed a little bit of time to do to an elbow injury, but now he's back and now he's still hitting. The strikeouts are high, so that's kind of the really main knock on him, but they've been steadily coming down from where they were at the beginning of the year. I think above all the guys we mentioned, I think Kemp is actually the one that I'm most excited to see, just because his power is on another level. His raw power, his ability to go to the other way as well is really unmatched among anybody else that's in Jacksonville right now. It's a little bit better than Gus, it's a little bit better than Davis and de los Santos, and just as a complete hitter, he's awesome. So there's not an obvious bit just because they've kind of figured out first base as the season that's gone on between Hicks and Stours for the most part, like there's not every day playing time for camp where a lot of these other guys'd be. You could slide them into a part time role. And that's the thing with Kent is that he's so good of a prospect that you want to have a more natural spot for them to play every day when he actually comes up. So yeah, nothing's imminent with him, but I don't want him to go under the radar.
Speaker 4: That's a really good.
Speaker 5: Player, definitely, yeah, And I think that's a guy who the Marls could potentially move into trade as well. From my understanding, it's just like not that they aren't high on him. I think they do like the player, and obviously he was the Marlins minor league player that year last season, but I think there is definitely concern with the strikeouts they have gone up. It's seven percent higher than it was last season, and just I don't know, I'm not totally convinced like he's a good player, Like I would like to see him up here. He would definitely provide the Margins with some help.
Speaker 1: But you know, they put him at first base to add some versatility.
Speaker 5: He's I believe he's still maybe playing some outfield and if you can move him for in cash at the deadline, you do it.
Speaker 1: I think he's one of those guys that you could.
Speaker 5: Maybe sell high on, as they say, end up in the prospect world and that goes for him. And we'll talk about a picture that I think could definitely be fall under that same boat soon.
Speaker 3: M Let's take a brief break right now and come back to discuss some call up candidates on the pitching side for the Marlins down the stretch.
Speaker 6: Tod Father, are you hitting some games this summer? What's the deal, of course?
Speaker 7: And it's real simple, Scottie Braun. You know how it is. You go to seat geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to seat Geek and you'll find something that you love, affordable for your family that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime, at any ballpark and stadium you want enjoy it. It's the best opportunity to go see a beautiful game of baseball.
Speaker 6: And that's the thing that you can be so last minute.
Speaker 8: Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you covered for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea Geek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events, So go.
Speaker 6: Check it out right now ft FAM.
Speaker 8: The code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and then the code automatically is added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 3: And here they are so brief climpse of those of you watching for a look at the active pitchers on Jacksonville's roster. Just this will be a quicker segment because more of the talent has been concentrated on the position player side for Jacksonville this year, at least in terms of guys that are still down in Jacksonville. The Marvels have dipped deeper, i would say, into their prospect depth on the pitching side throughout the year, especially when it comes to the bullpen. They've cycled through quite a few different relievers over the course of this season, and they have several right now who are doing well in Jacksonville that are now at the big league level. There's several guys who are doing great in Jacksonville and now are hurt for the big league team, like josh Acnis, William Kempner, Robbie Snelling kind of being the main one that was the guy we were very excited about.
Speaker 4: Thomas White.
Speaker 3: Thomas White is currently hurt and we viewed as kind of unlikely to return this year. So to be blunt, the highest upside players on the pitching side are either unavailable or guys that we would fully expect to be on the active roster as soon as they're healthy again. Start off wide open for you, Kevin, any particular pitcher on you that jumps out to you that you think is just about big league ready.
Speaker 5: I mean Braxton Garrett, right, I mean more than big league ready. Unfortunate situation for him where he comes up and struggles in those two starts, and I would have given him a little bit of a longer leash personally, but I understand where the team was at the time, and they felt like they needed to find guys that could help them right away, and Braxton unfortunately just wasn't and goes back to Triple A and you're striking out more guys, just walking less guys, and I don't know, they haven't given him an opportunity. I've had opportunities to call him up since I'm sure, but he's in a weird spot. I honestly think Braxton wont up getting traded this deadline if you look, if you know, that kind of falls into the major league for major leaguer because Backxon Garrett, he's a Triple A, but he's a major leaguer in my eyes, I think he It wasn't that long ago that Brax was throwing a career high in the Nings, pitched and starting Game two of a wild Card series. For the mind of Marlins like this is this is a good pitcher still, I think, and I think teams will hopefully buy low, will assume the by low part of it on him, or demons maybe attach a prospect like a Kemp for you know, a better package. But Braxon definitely has showed that he's more than big league ready and should be back. Unfortunately, just I don't think that will be in a Marlins uniform. I think that'll be in another uniform. Carson Olbrandt has struggled since coming up the Triple A, primarily with the walks. He's walked three or more guys in each start he's made since making the jump from double to triple A and I'll let you talk about the reliever. I know he want to talk about, so I'll let you divulge on mister Jack Ralston. But those are the two that definitely stand out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before we get to that, I think it is worth going deeper on Braxton. I don't totally agree with you. You may be proven right, but frankly, I'm confused about how they've handled Bracs. Once he made the decision to send him back down after only two starts, that was something. But since then he's kind of ironed out the walk issues and he's continued to put up great results For anybody that's not aware, he's got overall this year in Jacksonville a one point five to four er for the entire season and thirteen starts down there. He's just been unhittable. That's been the main aspect of it. And there's some luck involved with that. You know, we're not slaves to Era and more. He could dive deeper. You could see his FIP is in what the mid threes. He's been human, but he's been very good. He's been about as good as you could realistically be with his ability. And you mentioned him as like a trade candidate. It's just that I've seen this before, where if guys aren't pitching and performing at the big league level this year, there's only so much value they can create for themselves. As he's about to turn twenty nine years old, there's really no number he could put up in triple that would give him significant trade value. At this point, you got to show it a little. At the big league level, We're at a time where the Marlins still have vulnerabilities in their rotation. I mean the main one is that Tyler Phillips it's been more bad than good as a starter and a guy that we know is so good as a reliever. I was confused about why they didn't call out Braxton earlier these last few weeks, maybe right before Junk got back from his injury, or maybe gone to him as a rotation option, even right around the same time as Phillips, because he's been performing so well. And there's just again, there's so limited information. There's only so much you can learn about a guy just from repeating triple a like seven years after he was actually a prospect, and they needed the endings at the big league level. And what it's confusing is because they won so many games they played. They've played great, pitched great with some of those bullpen games with a lot of Ryan Gusto starting, But there's no reason why Gusto.
Speaker 4: Should have been getting these big league gettings over Brax.
Speaker 3: I thought it was even a time where they could explored what he would look like as a reliever as a team that doesn't have very much lefty relief pitching right now, especially with John King temporarily out that I thought it was a missed opportunity to see what they have because I just don't think there's going to be any value at all to trading him.
Speaker 4: Forget that.
Speaker 3: It also, by the way, he's earning about twice the major league minimum because he's in his arbitration years, so there's a little financial component to it too. And at this point, I think they're kind of out of time, like there's only so much he can show you in three starts. Even if he's called up right now to take the Phillips spot in the rotation and Phillips goes to then there's not enough time to really prove much of anything down there. So I think they really missed the boat on that.
Speaker 4: All does is to.
Speaker 3: Me The easiest explanation is that they just don't believe in him at all, Like, no matter what numbers he's putting up, they just don't think a guy that's throwing ninety one miles per hour that has occasionally had control issues earlier this year is going to help them. And that's a bummer, just because of how much time he missed and because of, as you reverence, how good he legitimately was a few years ago in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: So well, that's why I could see them just shrip them off or whatever it may be, right right, so you know, and who knows. Maybe Braxton has told them Wan, I'll tell you I want to get traded, like I'm broading away here in Jacksonville, where when I'm fully healthy, I can be up at the major league level helping a lot of teams.
Speaker 1: I do need starting pitching their teams.
Speaker 5: I need starting pitching right now, and Braxton could be of service.
Speaker 1: So who knows. I obviously we don't know any of that.
Speaker 5: That's way private stuff that I'm sure we can't even get a hold of unless it's from an agent. But I'm sure braxis told people like, hey, I'd rather get traded at this point if I'm just gonna be in Triple A, and who knows, maybe the Mars try to attach a prospect to get some sort of major league piece back in return, like a Kemp, like a Carson Millbrandt, who I'm sure we'll talk about. Like if you only trade Brax, I do agree you're not going to get a lot in return, But who knows, maybe the marwins. That's the little by self aspect of it, where they will take some prospects in exchange for Bracs.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on Who's hitting a homer playball swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tex one eight hundred gambler and.
Speaker 3: My very quick tick on Carson is that next year for him, he has improved his prospect stock. He's a better version of the bitch I thought he was entering this year, But I do think that a lot of these prospect evaluators have overreacted to how good he was in Double A. The control issues are still there, and he's twenty two years old. Like not every needs to be called up and put into a major league rotation. Of twenty two, this has been step forward for him. I don't think he's quite ready. We'll see if things may. He has an amazing next month and a half and I changed my mind on that, but in my opinion, he just needs a little bit more time to properly fully finalize his development.
Speaker 4: There. As you referenced, earlier.
Speaker 3: There one reliever I did want to get into that, one of the few that hasn't gotten a shot yet. All these guys going up and down between Jacksonville and the majors, and yet Jack Ralston has still spent the entire year down there and he's been killing it. Like statistically, a similar story to Brax, except even more amazing and eye popping numbers. There a one to seven ERA in fifty and two thirds innings this year, almost unhittable, twenty four hits allowed in those fifteen to two thirds innings. He has never allowed more than one earned run in a single outing strike a ton of strikeouts, striking out almost a third of the batters he's facing, So that's great. And the walks has been the big difference, like last as recently as last year. The reason why this guy was a minor league free agent signing in twenty eight years old and hasn't mentioned the Major yet is because he's had a lot of walk issues in the past, and this year he's gone that number down pretty close to league average. In fact, I think it is a little bit better than the triple A average. What stands out is his splitter is just an amazing pitch. Almost all of his strikeouts, about three quarters of them come on the splitter. That's amazing against both righty's and lefties. That's a pitch where only a couple guys on this Marlins rotation, Marl's pitching staff as a whole have a splitter. That's Lake Baker, that's Tyler Phillips. But Ralston throws it a whole lot more, and he throws it from this really unconventional over the top arm angle that I think when you talk about what makes it a good bullpen, it's guy's giving different looks so that hitters are kind of thrown off guard when they see an arm that's different than the one that came before it, and Ralston checks that box so that I don't know what they're waiting for. I know he needs a forty man spot, but there it's easy to open a forty man spot. Frankly quite right now, like they're on, whether it's on the position player side or even on the pitching side. There's a couple potential injured players that are candidates to move to the sixty day il should open the spot. I think he is much He's a good upside really good upside for a guy that, despite his age and his lack of major league experience, that something has clicked to this year. I think it'd be a shame if they wasted that opportunity to uh to not use him. So I'm hoping to see Ralston before the end of the year. I'll pull up this list again just so we touch on anybody that we haven't already. Yeah, Josh White, this guy we were really high on entering this year, myself especially. I was at his major league debut against the Mets a couple of months ago, and it was a nightmare. He got his first two guys out and then he ended up allowing five total runs without getting out of the ending itself, got de moted. Haven't seen him since. He's been very good, although not as dominant as last year. I still believe in him quite a bit though. I think that's a guy that we could be a strikeout machine once he gets it all together. Just a question about whether he's ready right now or it takes another year. I guess the last guy we could get to Kevin is Brandon White, the a different White, the one that's actually healthy, the guy that's six foot eight He's the tallest pitcher in the upper miners for the Marlins, and the numbers at Jacksonville have been kind of mixed. Where he's had some amazing outings, he's had the terrible ones. You average it all together and it's an ugly five and a half era, but the peripherals look better than that. The home runs have been an issue, but he's still striking out a ton of guys. He pitched out of the bullpen in his most recently and coming out of the ulcer break and was touching ninety nine miles per hour.
Speaker 4: This is the guy we forgot about.
Speaker 3: Like White has been in the organization since twenty twenty one, I want to say, and yet he was, you know, nowhere on our minds entering the season. But overall, like his stuff has ticked up. And I mentioned the size as an interesting component. You know, where are you on on Brandon White? A guy that's had I think all things considered a breakout year. And you know how Mike the Marlins used him, if.
Speaker 5: At all down this ridge, Yeah, I mean it was good enough to where we put him on the top thirty, right, so definitely stands for something. The fastball belows, you knowed, it certainly improved. I think the thing that's really hurting him, at least when you look at the surface numbers are those first couple starts in Jacksonville where he allowed ten on six runs, five runs and three straight. But ever since that, I mean it's zero runs, one run, then two to two and then zero. And in that he struck out eleven and in one game he struck out seven. Like the strikeouts continue to be really good. He still strikes out a lot of guys. And the walks have never been a problem for Brandon White at all in his minor league career, you know. And Jacksonville now three two six walk per nine and he was in double A won three six walk per nine.
Speaker 1: So he's very good.
Speaker 5: And I think, who knows, maybe coming out of the bullpen helps him out a little bit. But I still, you know, we were talking about it, like the Martins needed Tyler Phillips type of guy. Maybe this is the guy that could do that where he could pitch in a variety of different situations. If they're really gonna dry him out of the bullpen and really do this, do it in multiple do it in multi inning stretches where he comes in during the game. Maybe he's one of those guys that just benefits from having a pitcher go before him, you know, And that could be the case. But overall, I like Brandon White. I mean, we liked him enough to put him on the top three despite the the ugly surface numbers. But you know, you look at the five to five to nine ERA, but he isn't expected ERA four h three, so he has been a little bit unlucky too. But I look at those first couple of starts. This is a big reason for those bad surface numbers. But he's the fastball Velos is there and it's it's a lively fastball, and it's a really good fastball. So I'm looking forward to seeing how he ends off the season. I don't think he's a guy that gets called up this year, maybe very late into the season just to see what you got, especially if the Marlins are out of it, just to see what you got. But maybe next year he's an NRI competing for.
Speaker 1: A roster spot.
Speaker 4: Mm hm.
Speaker 3: We're gonna start closing it out here talking about these Marlins called candidates. The only reason why I want to go into it is that even though we know that the Marlins are gonna be aggressive looking for guys at this deadline, we have not seen Peter Bendix make these win now moves yet. And this is a team that they might not want to give up the prospects required to ultimately win the bidding awards from some of the sexier veteran players on the market, And if they don't, it's because they believe a lot in the next guy up, rather than wanting to mention a couple of these guys as trade candidates. If you believe that these guys themselves might actually be as good as the veterans and have all these years of control, that's going to be the instinct that this front office is fighting against. Because it's so valuable to have players that could help right away and be under control at cheap prices for the next few years that I just want to, you know, kind of set expectations, temper expectations in terms of how active the Marlins are going to be once they get to in these negotiations and realize what it's really going to take to overpay for rentals at different positions, that I really wouldn't be surprised if it's a relatively quiet deadline, even if they keep on winning and stay in the contending spot. And also beyond that, this happens every year where we get really excited, not we necessarily covering the marlins of a like across baseball, people get excited about the big names that change teams of the deadline, and then some of them, for whatever reason, they either stink once they get to their new team or they just get hurt. Like these guys can get hurt too, even if there's you have this wonderful idea about how they fit into the team, in their roster and how they're gonna make an impact, Like they're still human and they could. They're just as suspensible to injuries as others. So they might pay a pretty penny to get some of these players and just aren't available. They're gonna be injuries one way or the other downe the stretch, and that's why they'll have to You need to keep an eye on what they have in Jacksonville, whether it's players that we haven't seen in a while or we haven't even seen yet at all at the big league level.
Speaker 4: I think they do.
Speaker 3: Have all these interesting candidates down there. Some i'd like to see immediately, like Ralston. I'd love to see Braxton garrittan just to see what they have in him right now. And I'd like to see a bunch of different hitters right now over no offense over like a Reese Hines or Navaretto or Leo Humanez like it. I think they make me these little changes immediately. I won't be surprised if they make these changes at some point as this season wraps up. So of course we'll keep covering that as closely as possible. Kevin himself always covers Jacksonville for our weekly Minor League report, so that'll be out just a couple of days after this to check in on those guys and how they did coming out of the All Star break. But this is episode one fourteen of Unfiltered with Eli and Kevin, part of the On the Fish on First podcast part in the Found Territory Network presented by Jetski Rentals of South Florida. So yeah, there'll be another stream recapping the Brewers series very shortly after you watch and listen to this, and then we'll have at least one episode of Unfiltered coming up next week. A whole lot of trade deadline talk away coming up these next couple of weeks, and we hope we set the table for that with this conversation. So thanks again for all your support. As always, go Fish.