Speaker 1: I mean, I'm probably with us even to start starting to talk. Now, let's do it. Then, I didn't even change out of my names, mean neither. We're both.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say sopping wet because the walk back from the beach definitely dried us off a little bit.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna start like this, Yeah, all right, welcome to how to Money? I get to say it this time, buddy.
Speaker 3: And we're back, we're back from sabbatical.
Speaker 1: What's what's funny is I don't I don't even know how to do it because you're the one who always says, welcome to how the money? You know, and I only say, and I am.
Speaker 2: That it's easier than you might imagine. It's actually not the toughest part of my job. You're incredibly talented, my friend.
Speaker 1: Uh No, this is an episode where we wanted to just ease listeners back into It's.
Speaker 3: Not like worries and back into it. It's honestly us. Yes, it's it's weirder for you.
Speaker 1: And me to sit down because we haven't hoarded in six seven weeks or something like that.
Speaker 3: I was like, Matt, remind me how to talk into a microphone again.
Speaker 1: It is a little bit different though, because we are at a beach house that our families so have rented.
Speaker 3: We do this every summer. And what's crazy is that in the I mean.
Speaker 1: The kids are older, they're out at the beach, and I mean Kate's out there with them, but they're.
Speaker 3: Kind of autonomous more and more. Granted, the little.
Speaker 1: Dudes are still young.
Speaker 3: They need less help than they.
Speaker 1: We are entering a new phase of game playing and we're like way past the phase of digging typools for the baby's kind of thing as opposed to like hitting the volleyball, playing some spike ball, swimming across the what's it the inlet, Yes, that's your favorite thing that you like to do.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I think our kids are staying up later than we are now, which is like for this is the first year ever where we've crossed that threshold and so like adult gameplay, that's gonna say.
Speaker 1: It's been most noticeable in the fact that we have not played one game of a choir. Yeah, which it's funny because we're sitting at the quote unquote game table and there's a game of Clue here that the kids left out because that's what they're playing, they're getting into the board games on their own. But how you been?
Speaker 3: I've been great.
Speaker 1: I mean, does it feel weird for you to get back on the mic a little bit?
Speaker 2: A little bit because it does feel like it's been a while. And I'm sure to our own answer, like we've heard you talking, but not fresh stuff, and so what have you been up to? And I feel like there is probably a lot for us to relay and as we've come back from our sabbaticals, our trips, and we'll share I think a lot here, but we'll also share more in the months to come about where we will.
Speaker 3: We'll have a lot of stories to regale. We're still probably.
Speaker 1: Know I'm still processing having taken a break more of a break, a summer break, honestly, like more in line with the kids.
Speaker 2: But how you there's actually a Facebook argument about sabbatical many retirement, the words that you use, Oh yeah, what can you call it? And so I totally would have been interested in in that argument because and I mentioned this at some point on one of the episodes, because Katie North and whoever else they're talking about sabbaticals typically being at least, you know, three months or plus like three to nine is at least at least a many retirement, right, So people were saying, if you're going to call it a many retirement, needs to be kind of longer like that. Sabbatical Sure, six eight weeks. Fine, So I guess that's probably what you and I really par took in. Was a sabbatical, not I call it a summer break.
Speaker 3: Was a summer break.
Speaker 1: Man. You want to share a little bit about your trip, because y'all took some of your time, and so that's the most recent thing, the most recent thing. Right before this, y'all came back from your trip. We came back for our trip. Maybe we'll share a little bit. Let's do that or adventures.
Speaker 2: And then maybe we'll get into kind of some bigger, deeper stuff that we've we've kind of been thinking about. But yeah, what's the most fun thing you did in the past two weeks? So I just want to say this. At the outset, we the first part of our sabbatical, we stayed home. It was staycation, yeah, and the second part was travels. And I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the staycation.
Speaker 3: I was like, Oh, the travel is.
Speaker 2: Gonna be the best part, and the travel is awesome. Thoroughly enjoyed it. But I really really enjoyed just kind of rhythms.
Speaker 1: At home, living in your own house, in your own town, doing the cool like stuff that you get to now participate in because you're not yeah, completely slammed booked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was just like, oh, three pm, let's go to the pools of family whatever it is. Yeah, that kind of stuff. So I really enjoyed that. But yeah, in regards to the trip, it was awesome. We were in Seattle for my cousin's wife, and I was reminded of how Seattle is one of the great cities, not just in the US but.
Speaker 1: In the world. It is.
Speaker 3: That's a beautiful one.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful town and chock full of craft beer of course too, which which makes me love it even more.
Speaker 1: Okay, so do you have what was the best brewery that you went to when you were out in Seattle?
Speaker 3: So did you do well?
Speaker 2: You were only there for a couple of days, only there for a couple of days, pick them up at the grocery store. But it didn't even make it even though I was in Ballard, which like you can't even turn around and not see a brewery your smack dab in the midst It's insane.
Speaker 1: Is that what the kids used to call the hipster part of town pretty much twenty years ago?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so like I think, Ballard had all these old warehouses, and so breweries just moved in and so I ran. I ran past at least like six of them, but didn't actually step foot in any of them. But I had a couple of good beers while I was there. But actually the best beers I had well when we went to Hawaii, which was our next stop on it. And one travel tip to save money, go travel someplace where one of your friends lives so you can stay with them.
Speaker 1: Ooh yeah, so hey, you don't mind if we crashed. So this is this is the it's not horseshoe theory. This is full circle for you. You went from crawd uh pad crashing to hostels to airbnb's, and now you took your family back to pad crash. Right.
Speaker 2: So, Emily's best friend lives just outside of Honolulu, and we stayed with them for four nights and we hit up a brewery. I'm blanking on the name. It's right there in downtown Honolulu. We had that beer just last night, the oh Han Mari or something like that. Yeah, gosh, they made some excellent beers that those were definitely the best beers.
Speaker 1: I had on the whole train.
Speaker 3: Nice and just Hawaii so wonderful. Of course.
Speaker 1: So I was up in the northeast, which is home to all the hazy New England I pas, of course, so I got some PARTI I mean, oh my gosh, dude.
Speaker 3: I had your sending me picks.
Speaker 1: I was all the greats of course, Trillium, of course, Bistol Brothers two. Okay, so two standouts that I was not expecting that we literally stumbled upon were Hudson Valley Brewing, which was in Beacon, New York. That's in the Hudson Valley. Of course, phenomenal, so good them, as well as Bellflower, which was I think it's a newer brewery in Portland, Maine. Okay, both of the of course, we had some Maine Beer Company beers while we're up in Maine up in Acadia. But those other two breweries though, were total standouts.
Speaker 2: Portland's one of those hip towns too, where they've got a plethora of good beer up there.
Speaker 1: In the same part of town. Yeah. Absolutely, Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: That was huge for us for sure.
Speaker 2: I'm curious for you and we can get into a bunch of different stuff here, But what was maybe your did you have like a favorite part of your trip, like the best favorite.
Speaker 3: Leg is your best day?
Speaker 1: Oh see, you're putting all this pressure on one singular day. I don't think I can narrow it down to a specific day because I feel like we took our I don't know, we did a whole lot in two weeks. Yeah, it was a road trip, which let me just share with folks too that man, and we knew this going into it. But a road trip is not a vacation. A road trip is an adventure and every waking moment and I feel like, was Kate and I talking about our next steps. We had plans, we had itineries, we had tickets booked, but then it's us saying, oh man, we really went hard yesterday though, like are we actually going to do everything we had planned? And kind of making decisions on the fly, trying to figure out where are the bathrooms, where.
Speaker 3: Can we refill their water bottles.
Speaker 1: It's just constant, You're just constantly on edge, which means don't come back. No.
Speaker 3: No, it was a ton of fun, but just a lot of on the go.
Speaker 1: So I'm not going to pinpoint it to a specific day, but I feel like a theme, I'll say a theme something that we just consistently did with the kids was that they were regularly trying new foods and being exposed to different things.
Speaker 3: So, whether it's like.
Speaker 1: Lobster what do you call the lobster rolls, whether it's that that we stumbled upon that we learned about this beach a few let's see, maybe at the beginning of summer York Maine, so we just were like, oh, maybe we'll swing swing by up there, and we ended up spending way more time up there, stumbled upon the awesome crab shack. I think it was Foxes actually, okay, beautiful lighthouse right there.
Speaker 3: It was just I don't know this.
Speaker 1: It was amazing. Kids all tried lobster for the first time, Yes, oysters. That was in Boston where we're like, all right, all y'all are gonna try raw oysters, and just doing some of those experiences with the kids. Aside from I think a lot of folks would think, oh was it seen the Declaration of Independence. Yes, that was awesome. So was seeing George Washington's copy in the what was that I guess that was the Library of Congress.
Speaker 2: So you were singing the praises about Abraham Lincoln's pocket knife.
Speaker 1: We oh, we got to see well, yeah, the contents in his pocket. That's also there in the in the library, the Congressional lib what's it called, the Congresstional libraries, especially attached to.
Speaker 3: The Capitol building. That was super cool.
Speaker 1: That was really cool for me personally, going, oh, we got tickets you reach Oh hey, so here's a tip for folks. Reach out to your local representative, local senator in your state, and you get tickets to a lot of places in DC for free. You just have to get on the radar. So obviously the Sithsonian and all those different places they're free. But the ability to go tour the capital, you know, like not as a rioter, like where you're walking through, I mean, when.
Speaker 3: You're actually allowed to be there. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's it's all inspiring because it's I think it's like the closest thing I think we have in the US too, like a cathedral, like a Gothic can get mean it's massive, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Did your congress person asked if you voted for them before?
Speaker 1: They said yes, no, you know, it's just one of their one of their interns that they were just like, oh yeah, we actually have a few passes that we can give you. That's cool. So that was a ton of fun that specific day there. DC also just a cheap place to visit. Oh yeah, a plethora of awesome stuff for very little money. Also in DC, we went to Kate's just amazing when it comes to food and planning trips out. We went to jose Gosh what's his last name?
Speaker 3: We talked and Andrece.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's got this taco place in DC that's like right between it's like right off the mall. Had an awesome time there with the kids. It was just it was fun because it was slightly more refined food that Kate and I could both enjoy, but the kids were digging it as well. They tried beef tongue there for their first time, so they're like, what's is that an actual tongue of a cow.
Speaker 3: We're like, yeah, and it's really good.
Speaker 1: They know what they're doing here. Uh. Some of those culinary experiences really stand out, but obviously just being able to learn a whole lot about our country because it was kind of a quasi US history sort of road trip, which.
Speaker 3: Is taking them up, taking them to World Schooling during the.
Speaker 1: Summer, and taking them up to Acadia, which is the place that Kate and I have been to before, having prosecco and popovers at Jordan Pond like that, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was. It was a great trip for us.
Speaker 1: But like you, so I wanted to lude back to what you were saying as far as living kind of like quasi normal life at home and having just more time in your hands.
Speaker 3: I'm totally with you, man, It's great. It's so nice to be able to have downtime.
Speaker 1: And for us Kate and I, I mean, we love working on projects at home, and so I spent a lot of that time, like doing stuff around the house that I normally don't.
Speaker 3: Have time to do. Or you were in the yard a ton too.
Speaker 1: I was in the yard a ton. Well you know, you know the problem is that Kate ordered a chip drop, which is free, and you know this because you were actually you you pitched in a little bit. You're like, hey, I'll shovel af you not more than a few shoveled several wheelbarrows full of moulsh and hauled them to far corners of our of our Backyardeah. Yeah, just doing stuff like that, being able to hang with the kids at home, that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: The one thing I didn't get checked off my to do list was to clean out our garage.
Speaker 3: Well, I was on your list. It's still on my list. I'll get to it at some point.
Speaker 1: Your garage isn't really messy, it's.
Speaker 2: Not too bad, but like, I really want to organize my tools and stuff, and I just look at you. Yeah, getting tired of not being able to find stuff when I need it. So I say the cool I think maybe if I was to pick one of the coolest things.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what it was.
Speaker 1: We went to.
Speaker 2: Volcanoes National Park and there are episodic eruptions right now, you got to talk about that volcano there, and so it's uh, we actually got to see a live lava flow. It's literally lava erupting into the sky and it was crazy. It was one of those things where we kind of got in earlier than we thought. The airbnb we're going to stay out wasn't ready and see, let's just National Parks two miles up the road.
Speaker 1: Let's go blessing in disguise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was totally was because we got to see it and it cut off before dark that night, so we got to see it for a couple hours from different angles.
Speaker 1: Literally not even interrupt the rest of the time you're there.
Speaker 3: And the rest of the shutout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it was serendipitous and it's one of those cool things that none of us will ever forget.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. You can't necessarily plan on that. Like you can plan a trip to Hawaii, but you can't plan on there being a lava flow because that's up to mother nature. Man. Yeah, and okay, so the time that we're recording this, there was also like more action going down there in Hawaii or I.
Speaker 2: Guess it was the Warner tsunami warning. Yeah, like it seems like why I avoided the worst there for sure, and and everybody else to it sounds like minimal impact anywhere.
Speaker 1: But that still would have been crazy, like a tsunami siren. It's got the alliteration. So I know you love it, but you probably would have been a little frightening there with the kids. Yeah right, oh, my kids will have.
Speaker 3: Been freaking out.
Speaker 2: The biggest money saving tip on what you got the island, either the Big Island or Owahu, but especially the Big Island is have a costcome membership. Really yeah, so not only just to breeze and get a hot dog if you're hungry or whatever, which you can do for sure.
Speaker 1: You know. Still our family still has not had a Costco. H.
Speaker 2: I'm trying not to judge you for that. So breeze in there and get that. But the biggest thing is everything on Hawaii is significantly more expensive. Sure, so you want to drop in and get a beer, a single beer X you think, maybe not two X, but it's definitely more expensive. And Costco keeps their prices the same on the island of Hawaii as they do on the mainland.
Speaker 3: I bet it's so popular there.
Speaker 2: So like my cold brew the two pac same prices when I get it, the Stoke Stoke cold Brew, same exact price, same with like loaves of bread or whatever.
Speaker 1: Impressive.
Speaker 2: They have certain other things that they sell only in Hawaii, which is cool, so you can get some local stuff.
Speaker 3: Local flavor. Yeah, but I really appreciate that, and so.
Speaker 1: I was like, thank god, I don't have to drink some local like Hawaiian coffee.
Speaker 3: I can get my stoke cold brew.
Speaker 2: We were trying to do, especially in on the Big Island, we were trying to do more of our eating at home, and so we're.
Speaker 3: Like, let's that's played some groceries.
Speaker 2: We landed, went straight to Costco and got a bunch of stuff so we could cook meals.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, so our I'll share a travel money saving tip. So this is so predictable people are gonna say. Of course, Joel talked about Costco and Matt talked about Aldie.
Speaker 2: Because look, get this, guess we're not sponsored by them, so sadly we.
Speaker 3: Just love it.
Speaker 1: We were just out on the beach, so literally, you don't have a shirt on. My trunks are soaking wet. We just jumped back in here to record a little bit. Just before we came in, we looked over and there's a couple and he had an Aldie bag. Looked like they had all the beach chairs and maybe it seemed like one of them had an Aldie bathing suit.
Speaker 3: Does that even exist? It was all like the Aldie Rainbow.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they worked for Aldi Corporate or something. We need to go ask them when they go back Aldie.
Speaker 1: Schwag, Yeah, what was Oh so mine is Aldi related?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, guess how many times we ate because we'd love eating at Chick fil A?
Speaker 1: Like, if we're going to drive to the beach, that's probably going to be our stop for lunch, right, like we're gonna put our order in.
Speaker 3: Guess so many times we ate Chick fil A on the road trip?
Speaker 1: Twice?
Speaker 3: Zero, baby, oh zero.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't even something that we were trying to do. I wasn't like this is going to be great fodder for the show. It literally didn't cross our minds because we had planned on and we did this earlier in the summer. We went up to Michigan Lake Michigan for some time with family, but we stopped at Aldi on the way back and not only bought groceries that we knew that we needed for back home, like eggs and milk, right, like just some basics, but we said, wait a minute, let's just stop in there and we'll get food for dinner as well, and put together kind of a meal on the road, and we're so much more food, better quality stuff than fast food, you know then stuff that's that's deep fried, and you're saving just a ton of money. Yeah, I mean our typical Chick fil a order, there's six of us. Our typical order is like fifty bucks. Yeah, and that's just for fast food, and it's not well rounded. There's not whole, not granted, there's protein, right, And so we took that mindset, and so for the road trip, Kate brought a big baking tray to be able to load up these little lunch boxes, like these little they're plastic. They look like tupperware their subdivide lunchibles, yeah basically, but like homemade lunchables. Yeah, and I filled with all the worst things that So we would stop at ald and get a block of cheese.
Speaker 3: We would get gosh, what else would we do?
Speaker 1: Nuts, cured meats, like vegetables, chopped like clean uh. We got bottled water right, like kind of clean off like cucumbers, slice that up. And so we did that a ton on the road and say, I know, we saved a ton of money. We're we're eating so much better, so much less expensive, I know, than Chick fil a. Again, I don't even know, because Kate's the one that calls ahead, you know, she uses the app and places with the Chick fil A order. But it's at least I'm certain it's at least fifty bucks, if not more.
Speaker 3: I'm sure a pop. Yeah, that's not We did that a ton and for us.
Speaker 1: That was in addition to Oh, one of the AMA questions I think was about, hey, are you gonna rent a car or are you going to take the old man?
Speaker 2: Let's let's talk about your car rental. Yep, let's do it right after this. All right, we're back, Matt. We left off you were a car rental talk about your car rental. I dropped you off at the car rental place. Yeah, and it turns out, Oh, it was a nightmare. You did not end up running your car there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't even though you had one booked.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I want to throw the company under the bus, because maybe they're decent, but this particular location, they took my car rental reservation, but they couldn't hold it. As Jerry Seinfeld would would say, right, is that how it goes?
Speaker 3: It's one of the classic episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so they're like, well, we can offer you a nicer vehicle, this grand It was a Grand Highlander, I will say, and it looked nice. I was even tempted because I thought, I'm never going to have the opportunity to drive over long distance in a leather It was just really nice. But I was like, no, there's no luggage space, the ability to move around in the vehicle. So anyway, we ended up going with a van, a Chrysler pacifica rental with Avis. It was great, and specifically we got a hybrid, which was also very nice. To talk about some savings.
Speaker 3: Driving that many miles, yeah, I will.
Speaker 1: Say, though I did some quick math, we save some money, but it wasn't a tremendous amount. I don't think we saved much more than too much.
Speaker 3: Do you think you saved on that?
Speaker 1: I think we said around two hundred bucks tw hundred bucks and gas, which isn't nothing. Yeah, but you know you're you're dropping like around one thousand bucks on a rental, Like I wouldn't go out of my way to go to get extra, to pay extra in order to get a hybrid. When it's like, all right, if we were driving our vehicle, maybe I'm getting like twenty miles per gallon in an old traditional you know, mini van as opposed to something closer to thirty in a hybrid, because the hybrid doesn't work so well when you're driving higher speeds on the interestate, it's great for driving around town because when you're driving around town, that's when the that's true, that's when the little low power motor kind of thing kicks on and you're getting like thirty five miles thirty five to thirty seven miles per gallon.
Speaker 3: But it was nice.
Speaker 1: I loved watching that little power meter thing there on the I would I think I would get addicted to that.
Speaker 3: But if I had a hybrid, I would always be like, dude, I want to get the leave.
Speaker 1: I want to be in the green.
Speaker 3: I want to constantly be regenerative, breaking like you're hyper miling it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will say, getting back into traditional vehicle like standard disc brakes seem so antiquated. Yeah, I'm like, why not use this stored energy that is in the mass of our vehicle trying to slow down to generate power. Sure doesn't that seem like a no brainer?
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: I feel like all cars should be equipped with regenitative braking.
Speaker 2: I rented one of those new Jeeps on hawaii'se Jeps are the way to get around.
Speaker 1: Come on, if you're in Hawaii, yeah, you should be driving a jeep around.
Speaker 2: And so it's got a little like a little battery in there that they I guess you can drive it in just electric mode or in hybrid mode, but it's like kind of pathetic, Like the battery is so tiny. It's it lasts like about two minutes.
Speaker 3: In electric road was literally in two minutes.
Speaker 2: It's it's not long at all. It's it's yeah, probably close to that, and then hybrid mode it maybe lasts like thirty five to forty minutes.
Speaker 3: So okay, it's kind of pathetic.
Speaker 1: But if you had it at home, though, do you think it would be enough for you to run an erran.
Speaker 3: Let's say you're going to the grocery store back. Maybe it's not that kind of like what it's geared for.
Speaker 2: I think so, But I don't think it's even as robust as like the the plug in hybrids that Toyota offers, for instance, like the rap those be more like forty miles worth.
Speaker 1: That's the difference between jeeps and toyotas man toyota like they've been perfecting the hybrid, yeah, for and now they prime right, like the plug in evs or whatever, the plug in hybrids. They've been perfecting that for twenty plus years now. As opposed to some of these newer guys that were like, oh, yeah, maybe we'll take advantage of the EV taxings, you know, all the incentives that are getting poured into green vehicles.
Speaker 2: My question for you, yeah, how much did you miss talking about personal finance? And did you find yourself maybe talking about roth iras as you were going.
Speaker 3: To sleep, just just.
Speaker 1: A nobody, just to yourself, just a random guy waiting in line on this methoda calling your.
Speaker 3: Random friends to give them finance tips or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No, I never feel myself tempted tempted to do that. I will say, though, I'm trying to unpack as to because we were trying to treat this as this abbatical, not just as a time to take some bigger trips, but within that and.
Speaker 3: You say that, what do you mean, what's the difference, Well.
Speaker 1: Well, having more time to take trips is fun, right, as opposed to like, all right, going on a three day silent retreat where you're just really getting a lot more introspective. I don't know. Maybe I was just too ambitious with the time to be able to do absolutely nothing, because even the time where I was supposed to do absolutely nothing at home, I'm like, oh, I could use the time to put a laundry room sync in our laundry room, which is something I did, and it was a ton of fun. It was a little frustrating at times, almost electricated to myself. Maybe I'll say that for say that start for some other time. But claud you're still here. I'm still here. I didn't. Yeah, it's all good. It was a two twenty line too. It was too the dryer, so it was like higher voltage. I think it could have been bad. But I can safely say that I definitely miss recording. I missed doing what it is that you and I get to do here. It's and obviously it's a blessing to be able to a be our own bosses, but then be within that framework to have the ability to step away from our work for the summer and say, all right, let's spend some time, you know, for you like training a little bit more, maybe going for more runs, spending more time with friends, spending time with family, just chilling out, reading more. Yeah, the ability to take some of these bigger trips that you otherwise wouldn't, right, like as opposed to going out to Seattle and just kind of flying back real quick.
Speaker 3: You're like, hey, we're already out.
Speaker 1: Here on the West coast, baby, let's let's fly it down to Hawaii. The ability and the blessing, it is a blessing for I think our ability to do something like that same thing with taking a two week long road trip and to not feel confbited up right to the very start of it and the very end of it, right, to be able to say, all right, we can kind of think about this well, prepare for it, and then when you come home, it's like you can also, all right, let's take some time to kind of reacclimate to home life, and like, all right, let's just sleep in tomorrow, just all the kind of you'll come back on a Sunday and get back to real life on a Monday, exactly. And that's hard and so man that I certainly most definitely appreciate and within that sort of within thinking about that, certainly missed being able to talk into the microphone with you about the things that we love care about and the ability to bring money saving information and money investing information and all the things that we love to talk about here on the podcast to our listeners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what about you. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I was like, I thought I was going to have like withdrawal symptoms or something like that, shake something away, like three weeks not talking me into a microphone about personal finance with my buddy.
Speaker 3: The going's going to happen.
Speaker 1: The good news is that, babe, we're on vacation. The bad news is I started smoking.
Speaker 2: I had had to find a habit to take over my other habit, which is my day job. But no, like, I'm actually super stoked about getting back into a rhythm of kids in school, going into work and recording and talking about personal I do love it.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I will say I was still reading a similar amount to maybe what I read on a daily basis, just because I'm it's a passive subject. I'm not just passionate, you know, I don't just get paid to do. I'm also passionate about it. Yeah, but I just I feel like I was able to get away to such an extent that I wasn't missing it. I was like I was glad to be away, but also the looking forward to being back when the time came.
Speaker 3: I get that, which I shit, that felt great.
Speaker 1: I definitely wasn't reading as Oh, I'll be honest, I wasn't not reading as much. I was reading as much total perhaps or maybe more. I'm still in the I'm in the middle of The Brother's Cameras Off, which is a really long It's a freaking yeah it is. It's like over a thousand pages, and so I'm like, I feel like I've been reading this for a month. Uh, and I'm maybe halfway through. Wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it Laura Vandercamp that told us she read war in Peace or in Piece daily Emails?
Speaker 1: I think that's even longer. Actually, that's crazy, which.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, what are you reading? Are you in the middle of anything?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: I'm reading Rick Rubin's book on creativity Nice, which is super super interesting and it makes me Last year you yeah, and you and I have actually been talking about do we love what we do? But like, hey, can we come back to this podcast with fresh eyes with it with a different approach? And I think we will, like I think we will continue. I think in a fresh passion. Even I'm like, yeah, actually super stoked to get away from it, and I'll come back to it and be like, all right, what can we do to improve this thing that we love that it's been around for seven plus years.
Speaker 1: It's fun to take breaks, yeah, I mean, I think that's part of it too. It's I mean, it's fun from the sense of like you get to do fun things while you're taking time off. But it's also fun to kind of look at it with fresh eyes, being able to take a break from it and being like, oh, wait a minute, no this And I think that's kind of where I guess where I'm at right now as I think about it, I'm just like, this is awesome, like what we get to do on.
Speaker 2: A on a you know, day in and day out, and even if you're thankful and you know you love it, sometimes when you're in the weeds of day to day stuff and then it's harder to see totally.
Speaker 1: Can it can be tougher to be appreciative, I will say, taking more time to appreciate other things in life. Does I still obviously, I still want to be able to do what we do. It does also make me want to make sure I'm setting aside enough time to do other things that I have been able to expose myself to, like art, for instance. Like I was like talking with Kate about this, I'm like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, entering into your George Bush era.
Speaker 1: I see, but I mean maybe, but like literally like we spent way more time in galleries and appreciating art and learning about artists like gosh, the Farnsworth Art Museum has this incredible Andrew Wyath collection and somewhat familiar with him before, but really like diving into I'm like, I recently started a book that was this six day interview of him. This was actually a book that's that was in Kate's family that an uncle gave her Kate's grandmother, and she was just like, well, don't take this one out to the beach. She's like, make sure this one kind of was like a family not a family heirloom, but it means something more but art, right, So the ability to I don't know, carve more and I don't know what exactly that looks like, but does it look like more of an appreciation for I certainly have that. So how can I continue that does it look like thinking through Oh, I kind of started out my career basically as a visual artist, as a graphic designer, then moving into photography. Well, what does it look like another stage of that, even where I am incorporating more of that into my life. These are questions I'm like asking myself now where I'm like, man, I don't know, there's something that there's Maybe life is too short to not appreciate some of the beauty, like the most beautiful things that that's out there, that are out there in the world, and certainly going to the Smithsonian, the National Gallery of Art, going to different sponsor along the East Coast has allowed me to realize how much is out there. Gosh, the Isabella Stewart Gardner, Like Kate and I were talking to you and sounds amazing you and Emily about that an amazing place. The if you've never been there and you're in Boston, I would highly recommend it if you want an incredible story with this private collection of art that you get to tour. But it does make me want to. I think the break has allowed me to see that as well, that like what you do like from nine to five, like that's good, but also this there's a lot of other stuff in life that is also good. And as we are, we've been talking a little bit about the kids with ramping back up for school and they're taking on additional pursuits, whether it's sports or different clubs and things that they want to do, and it's like, heck, yeah, I want you to do all these things, like this is awesome. How can I support you? Like I'm thinking about them from a development standpoint, because like, you know, that's what you do as parents, right, Like we've had our parents who have poured into us and that has led to our own development. And obviously we do that by like taking care of our kids and feeding them, taking them to school and stuff like that, but finding a way to kind of partner with them broad their horizon their own development. Yeah, Like I think I've got a renewed passion for that as well, especially as I think about them launching. You know, they're all starting new grades now, so it's like, oh, man, you're gonna get to start learning about this.
Speaker 3: Oh you're playing this sport.
Speaker 1: Oh you are entering school for the first time, buddy, Like that's something that's totally new, Like yeah, both for our little dudes are entering into kindergarten, which is a ton of fun.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things traveled does for you too, and this is something we kept talking about with our kids, is it helps you to realize that there are so many different ways to live this life, right, And like we took surfing lessons one day when we were in a hot that was like our big explurage item. It was Sama's birthday and we're like, all right, go surfing and it was super cool. And of course the guy John who does our surfing lessons, the stereotypical Hawaiian surfer dude, and he was so fun to hang out with and he used all the lino not because I think he was trying to imitate one, but because he legit is a surfer dude. And you just realize, like that he's got this small business taking people out surfing. That's what he does, and he does decently well for himself, but he gets to do the thing he enjoins every single day and that is pretty magical too. He's living the dream and there are just so many ways to live this life. And I love when I travel seeing the different kinds of ways people have chosen to live life, and it makes me want to reconsider too, not like shake things up completely, because I'm pretty happy with the way my life looks, but it's also one of those things where it's a good reminder that it's not the only way, or it's not the way that it has to look forever. Yeah, shaking things up, iterating are all a part of what it looks like to think to live a meaningful life, and experiencing that through other people is one of the great benefits of travel.
Speaker 3: Well you speak.
Speaker 1: You talking about surfing has got me thinking about a recurring theme with this beach trip, which I would call the beach trip where we learned about tides, because like, ties are like this mystery, right, and now every day you and I are like, oh.
Speaker 3: Well, how long before high tide before low tide?
Speaker 1: Because we found out we started playing with our garment watches that there's a tide feature that.
Speaker 2: You can turn on and put on the watch phase or whatever. So I'm like a tide pro now. Oh and one other thing that I think we should remark about this trip. We talk a lot about on the show about livestock creep and how kind of once you incorporate a new method of spending intr like, it's truly hard to dial it back down. Hey, you start hiring someone to your lawn service, really hard to fire them and start mowing your lawn again. Well, we actually on the house and we downgraded significantly this year, maybe not significantly, but price wise significantly almost half price, almost half the price. But we found a great place. It's like, literally three house is down from the one we stayed at. And so I think that's one of those things too. It doesn't have the amenities, it doesn't it's not as fancified, but it's one of those things where it's like we kind.
Speaker 3: Of it's great, we're so good. We're sitting here and it did what do we want from a beach house? And we're like, yeah, that place was over the top, let's get this one instead.
Speaker 1: And it's it's a reconsidering and just kind of talking it through, just be like do we want to keep doing that? Like can we sure we could afford it? We could plunk down the change, we could splurge, but yeah, this I honestly, there are certain aspects about this house, even though it is literally half the price.
Speaker 2: Of the one that we've gotten in the past. There are certain aspects of it that are better, yeah than the functional.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it's more functional.
Speaker 1: It's it's more suited for two families like ours to get together and hang out at the beach. But the other crazy thing, too, is that it's like, like you said, three houses down and I guess I'll share this part. And I told you that when we that. I guess it was the night that we arrived here that I didn't want to walk the same way to pass the big fancy house because we're probably going to be like, oh, okay, to feel like a.
Speaker 3: Stab in our heart.
Speaker 1: Except that the first day we did walk past it, and it's Nina, how would you say it? It's under reconni It is not habitable at the moment because I guess when it was built they didn't seal it property. So there's like scaffolding all around this house and it looks like a total dump. And this total dump doesn't bother me. But what bothers me is the fact that had we booked it, we would have likely gotten kicked out of there. Sure we would have gotten our money back, but we likely wouldn't have found I mean this place probably would have been snatched up by that point.
Speaker 2: I felt bad too, just because there's a lot of good memories in that house and you're like, oh man, it'll sucks to that house.
Speaker 3: Well, it's clear that.
Speaker 1: They're going to return it to its former glory. Yeah, but it's like this, Yeah, it's a fancy house.
Speaker 2: We'll just leave it at that. All that to be said, we are back. We are looking forward to resuming regular content. We got many emails people like, what did the Friday Flights return? So I think I don't know if that's like the most desire.
Speaker 3: What happened to the Friday Flights?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Well, well that'll come out two days from now, is coming out on Wednesday, and we'll be back here on Friday.
Speaker 1: The problem with the Friday Flights is just the fact that, I mean, when we are running Besties, you can run an old interview episode, you can run a topic that we you know, where we dove deep. No one, I don't think anybody wants to hear yesterday's news from a year ago from us.
Speaker 3: That doesn't fly as much.
Speaker 1: So even though all the episodes say Bestie after them, there at the end, I think maybe I wonder if a lot of folks missed that and they're thinking, oh sweet, this is a great episode, which makes me feel good about some of the older content that we put out there, very evergreen for folks.
Speaker 2: I started to listen to the most recent one that we re released with Chad Carson, and I was shocked at how relevant it still was great because interest rates had spiked, you know, and interest rates remained incredibly high. Although we're still there and we'll talk about this, i'm sure in the coming weeks, but the pressure of the FED might be feeling well, the housing market boom seems to be officially over, and so what happens with housing prices moving forward? That's something I'm I'm fascinated by the housing market, and I'm sure we'll continue to talk about it.
Speaker 1: We'll see, but that's I think that could change pretty quickly though, because like, if the FED does feel a little pressure, and once races do start ticking down, it's saying okay, and market trade starts start ticking down as well, and then home prices what do they do in response as that demand increases, Well, you tend to see prices go up. That is not guaranteed, and this is also going to get played out.
Speaker 3: I'm sure over like eighteen months, you know, months and years. Well, you've still got money, your chops.
Speaker 2: I can tell as you start talking about I can see the fire in your eyes light up while talking about the housing market.
Speaker 1: If you first time I have talked about the housing market in two months, Which is fun because okay, doesn't I mean we chat about actually we do talk about I bet we do talk more about personal finance stuff, just on a personal level, right just between between her and I for our family as we are navigating the waters.
Speaker 3: Sure, but yeah, and we want to help you navigate your personal finance waters.
Speaker 2: We'll continue that. We'll be back on Friday. Thank you guys so much for listening.
Speaker 1: And hopefully maybe some folks took a break as well, right Like, maybe some folks are thinking, yeah, I tuned out because hey, Joe and Matt took a break. I'm going to take a break too. And hopefully you saw from the title of this episode that we back. Yeah, and it's time to get back on the horse, as uh, you know, the famous fashion designer said and Zoo Lander so
Speaker 2: Most step all right, appreciate you guys, Matt until next time, best friends out, best friends out