Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is hot pursuit.
Speaker 2: You ever get a really good car and you don't have a ton of good things to Actually, you drove the Bentley Continental GT.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I spent last week with it and not in love.
Speaker 1: What you are you saying? It's a really good car, but you didn't love it?
Speaker 2: I mean it's very expensive, and you know, it has a ton of power, and it has a V eight and I like that it has the hybrid system.
Speaker 1: But what didn't you love? I saw your Instagram posts about the Matt paint.
Speaker 2: I know that's a horrible choice.
Speaker 1: Questionable choice. Yeah, I've actually not seen that on a press car. Yeah, that's a that's a bold move.
Speaker 2: I just thought, for one thing, it's a four hundred thousand dollars car, right, Yeah, and the power train setup was a turbo V eight, as you know, with a hybrid system. I think that's fantastic. It's almost eight hundred horse power, not quite I think seven to seventy one, which is wild. And Lamborghinis, Yeah, I know, but guess what. The week before that, I was driving a Mercedes AMGS sixty three half price two hundred thousand dollars. It also has a turbocharged V eight hybrid system with over eight hundred horse power and over one thousand newton meters of I mean foot pound of torque.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not a Bentley no, I mean Bentley has I think perhaps more of a posh aura about it.
Speaker 2: For Sure's you say one ndred percent true?
Speaker 1: What did you think of the new headlight design and the new front grill.
Speaker 2: I think it looks gorgeous. It's way better looking than the than the Murk.
Speaker 1: It's really pretty.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. Like it's a two door, obviously, it feels a little cramped, like it's so plush. Yes, I feel like there's so much car, there's so much seat, and there's so much everything that there's not enough room for little old me. You know.
Speaker 1: It is one of those cars that looks pretty beefy and big on the outside, which to me it's cool, but then when you get inside it actually feels quite a bit smaller as opposed to maybe like a nine to eleven that looks pretty small comparatively, but on the inside it's like, oh, this is really spacious.
Speaker 2: Great comparison.
Speaker 1: Verse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, total opposite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I totally get it. And obviously some of those things I think are you know, just the feeling of plushness and you're coseted and you're in you're in your cabin and everything is like really lucks. Yeah, that that does take up space, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: It a lot? And doesn't leave enough space for me the driver? And I mean I feel like I drove a bunch of Continentals like around ten years ago, maybe eight and twelve, so I've been in a lot of different versions of that car, and I used to think it felt roomy inside and this definitely does not. But the Mercedes has the Mercedes AMGS sixty three as a four door.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so it's not really a fair comparison.
Speaker 2: It's not really a fair comparison, but same power train, yes, and the Merk does better. And the other thing about the Bentley is like it kept flashing these electronic warnings at me, like you're not logged in, you're not using the app, you know your Wi Fi system isn't working, or do you want it turned on or off? Or do you know why this or that? You know? And all these questions all the time, so that I could hardly understand it. I couldn't really get car play to work very well. It kept working and then not. And with the Mercedes, it was just like get in everything works perfectly.
Speaker 1: I mean, we say this all the time, but Mercedes has the best technology in the game right now. I like, we say it all the time, but we keep getting into cars that only prove that point. And I think this is the next gen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the brand new one.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. Bentley has their new CEO, Frank Wallacer, and this is sort of the last car that we're going to see that he doesn't really have his hands on. And I think he's brought in for a very specific reason, which is to sort of take care of these little points that you're describing. True, because nothing you said Bentley doesn't know about their product. They know they need to tighten it up a little bit, which is why they've hired the head of Motorsports for a Porsche to come over and like tighten it, you know, make it better, make it better. It's a great car, but again, like there are a couple little things that they need to be better.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading your story. Yeah, right. You put out a story about this like two weeks ago and Wallacer you interviewed him as well as driving the car, and I was thinking, Man, this guy is just coming in and it takes, you know, four or five years to from start to finish to build a new car. So obviously he had nothing to do with him and nothing.
Speaker 1: To do with this, and this is going to be I think one of the last ones that we really that come out that debut that I knew that he doesn't have his hand on, and I know he's already trying to do all he can to sort of ramp up the product because the big thing with Bentley is their product line is getting a little bit long in the tooth and that's going to catch up with them and hurt them if.
Speaker 2: You don't still looks I mean, it looks looks fabulous.
Speaker 1: I love what they did to the front. It's like some combination of super strong but also sort of feeline, maybe feminine even I think it's a really interesting, good looking car, and I love I think I drove unlike your matte color. You're what was it a Matte red, like it.
Speaker 2: Was like a Cranberry red matt which okay. I don't know who chose it, but I wouldn't have had I.
Speaker 1: Drove one in gravity gray, which was super cool. It was sort of like a shark, a dark shark gray color.
Speaker 2: I like the acid green. I went on the website to configure them, and there's an acid green that I love, but that looks I did a little survey on Instagram, not scientific, but half of the people said, no, go for paying four hundred thousand dollars a car. I'm not going to put a matte finish on it, which is like a ten year old fashion to begin with. And it's also it's a very like I don't know, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: It's odd. We have so much to talk about today. I feel like, I don't know if you got my email, but we've got a lot. We've got a lot to cover.
Speaker 2: You're one of the people, so I get probably two thousand emails a day. What. Yeah, And there are a handful of people starting with like Mike Bloomberg and John Mickelwaite.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and.
Speaker 2: You whose emails. I scan my screen and if I see one from you or from Mike, like, I click on that first.
Speaker 1: I don't take it. I will take that company so very much.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I see all these emails and there's so much to talk about that there were a few times over the last week where I think I texted you and I was like, Yo, we should jump into the studio.
Speaker 1: Totally do this right now, I know, And then we didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we will.
Speaker 1: Also, Matt, do you realize that when this episode airs on Friday, it's our exact one year anniversary of doing this podcast? Wow? I did not realize that October twenty fifth that was the first one that we did a year ago, in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. I keep thinking like, how long ago do we do start doing this? Like three months ago? Four months ago? I guess it's been twelve it's been twelve months. Amazing. Well, every single time it's so much fun, So I know I agree. All right, So what should we start with? What are you writing about on the terminal right now?
Speaker 1: Well, I just we're gonna have a story go live about the car trends that we hate and true, this really gets people going. I kind of thought, oh, it's you know, it's it's more of a fun story, but this really got people upset, and it's everything from By the way, I spoke with a couple of automotive analysts. I also spoke with Keith Naughton Kyle Stock are some of our autos reporters here, and of course surveyed my pursuits team and it's everything from fronks and touchscreens and electric vehicles in general to somebody on Instagram said their pet peeve is people driving alone in Portland wearing masks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually noticed this week somebody driving alone wearing a mask. But you know what, Actually the Mercedes that I was driving last week two hundred thousand dollars again Mercedes AMGS sixty three, totally powerful, total sleeper. Absolutely loved the car and some tech that was mind blowing, like the digital dash was three D. So it looks like it goes into that. You liked it. Oh my god, it just knocked me off my seat, except for I was, you know, very well bolstered. But one of the things it has is the door handles are completely flush and they don't come out unless I guess you should be able to have them come out when they approached, when you approach the car, or when you push the unlock button. These weren't coming out unless I pulled the key fob out of my pocket and pushed the unlock button. And one time I even had gotten out of the car, closed the door and my four year old daughter was in the back seat. Oh no, and I left the keys in and I couldn't get them to pop out.
Speaker 1: See the by the way, those flush door handles are listed in the story. And the overriding idea is exactly what you're pointing out, Matt, which is that sometimes technology doesn't actually represent progress for cars. You know, all of these automakers are really trying to grab consumers attention and you know, potentially compete with these China, these automotive brands that are sort of knocking at the door and every you know, there's so much there's so many distractions, and so automakers are trying to do whatever they can to offer the latest and greatest, but a lot of these things actually just end up distracting, annoying. These door handles, you know, a lot of a lot of people don't really care for lane assist and sort of the preemptive breaking some of even some of these.
Speaker 2: Preemptive breaking gives me a heart attack every time it comes off.
Speaker 1: It's actually kind of scary because it feels like the car is not under your control, the car is under its own control, which is not a great feeling. I agree, I don't. I don't like that feeling well.
Speaker 2: And it also happens a lot when you don't need it to. For example, backing out of my driveway, I saw a car go by, and then I continue to back out, but it slammed the brakes on anyway, because I guess the car was still near enough in the vicinity, and it just makes you feel like you've you know, you've narrowly avoided a huge accident, so you get the same heart pulsing.
Speaker 1: But the surge of adrenaline through your wrists.
Speaker 2: I would suggest, let's go through your list and what was at the top of it. What was the number one thing?
Speaker 1: The number one thing that I heard time and again from analysts, from automotive writers, and from social media and friends was touch screens. That's the top thing that people said, everything from the skateboard sized screens at Mercedes Benz down to the little tiny screens in something like the Farah Pro song with the suv where you like there's like a touchpad on the steering wheel that you use to control audio and things. Tony Sillerno, who works for Jdpower, is one of the analysts I spoke with, and he just said, studies continually show that most consumers, especially in luxury segments, prefer an analog interface. They just do. It's easier, it's intuitive.
Speaker 2: But I'm guessing that the manufacturers you talk to know this. And the problem is they started these designs five years ago. Yes, So now aren't they turning that around a little bit?
Speaker 1: You know? I think some are. I know I refer to it consistently, but Bugatti's Turbion obviously that's a way higher price point. But they I just remember them because they made a very specific point of saying when they launched that car that we have decided to keep our inior interior analog because we feel that it will age better and it's easier to use. That's That's the first automaker that I've heard say just outright, we're purposely doing this.
Speaker 2: I think PEGANI might be another one, as long as we're reaching for those five million dollar cars, you know, for sure.
Speaker 1: One car collector I talked to, Chris Singh, basically says, you know, he would buy, for instance, the new Porsche supercar whenever it comes along, or some of these other supercars. But he doesn't because they're electric, which is one thing. But he just loves Pegani because they keep it analog, they keep it old school, and obviously this is very rarefied air. But I don't think that's lost on all of us, you know, whether you're spending two million dollars or twenty thousand dollars. We just want something that's easy, Yeah, we want to have to struggle.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's also much more classic, right, It's much more elegant to have a button or a switch or a knob. And really, I imagine that more car makers are going to gravitate back towards that to the extent that they can.
Speaker 1: You know, it will be really interesting to see whether Porscha does that, because of course, in their newest generations of the nine to eleven, for instance, they have recreated their traditional five gauge dash or behind the steering wheel with a digital version of it. And I haven't been hearing a lot of people who love that change, so I'm very curious to hear whether they can and will take it back.
Speaker 2: I think it's a horrible idea as well. But what they had before was great. They had five gauges and one was a screen exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean that's fine, Yeah, that's fine. Yeah, that we can we can settle with that.
Speaker 2: I think, all right, what else? I mean, I think everyone agrees with you on that point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know another big thing where giant glass roofs in vehicles like the i X from BMW, the Lucid Air of course, they're they're kind of all over and I, I don't know, this isn't a personal one of mine. This this one came from Kyle Stock specifically, and I did hear this from other people too, But Kyle just said, look, when you have an EV and then you put a glass roof over the top, it actually just heats the cabin, takes up more battery power and range the interior sweltering, and it actually works against you. Yeah, because you're running the IC which runs the battery. So I thought that was an interesting one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I personally, I have in the past loved giant glass roofs because if the cabin feels so much roomier. The first time I ever had that experience was on the nine to nine to one that I bought in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: It does feel a lot room here, which is great.
Speaker 2: I loved it. And also in a sports car, especially so I'm pretty tall and you are too. When I pull up to a traffic light, I often can't see the light anymore out of my windshield, and so if I have that glass roof like in the nine to eleven, I could lean back and see the light and it's fantastic. But this year I spent a week in the GMC Hummer EV, which has of course an all glass you know or whatever fake glass roof, and the cabin got so hot it was unbelievably hot. I thought like my baby was in danger.
Speaker 1: You know, gosh, that is that is not good. I had the same experience when I drove a Lucid Air from San Francisco back down to LA and obviously, as you can imagine, in driving in California, there's just no there's no shelter. You feel like you are just out on the road in a greenhouse, being boiled alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's not a good feeling.
Speaker 2: No, it's horrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They should have some kind of technology. I think Rivian has. You can push a button and it turned to some electrons that change it toery papers does help. And by the way, on the Hummer note, I see at the beginning of the story you mentioned the crab walk, which is so stupid, like there's no real world use for it.
Speaker 1: Well, as I recall, I sort of mentioned that, and you know, the new Mercedes g U I can can spin in three hundred and sixty degrees. You know, as ways that automakers are trying to offer fun, exciting things to consumers. But yes, I'm not sure how much practical application these things do have. They just take up battery energy. However, another thing that I did here, which was on this list, is that oversize trucks and SUVs in general. You know, some people just get so annoyed they feel like the roads are being overrun by these SUVs. The size of tanks. We mentioned the Hummer av. You know, the Cadillac Escalade is almost twenty feet long and eight feet wide. It's just huge. You know, it has twenty four inch wheels that if you add the tires on to them, bulge out to thirty five inches. It's huge.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go ahead and disagree with that one because I like this. I like them big.
Speaker 1: Yes. I mean one that I actually mentioned in here is the G sixty three four by four, the Mercedes G Wagon that is like a four by four, which I actually really loved. But it is also true it did not even fit in the parking garage here at work. I had to park it on this sit.
Speaker 2: But only because of the height, right, because that's not a yes, no, it's huge in terms of length or with it's just really just they're actually pretty compact. Yeah. I like a big, giant truck and su I want to be able to live with my whole family and uh my family friends in my vehicle. And actually, almost to spite the people who are against large vehicles, I want it even bigger, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about how big my truck is. Get your own car, you know you can. You can have a smart if you like. Yeah, what do you call the little Alfro the little Fiat that you yeah, exactly, get one of those and leave me alone in my escalade.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine? I think I wrote that the the cyber truck is as long as two VW Beetles together. Speaking of the little Fiat five hunder, I mean that's even smaller. Yeah, yeah, very hard to die, you know, viva ladiferol. What can we say. I'm kind of neutral. I you know, I'm all about the right tool for the job.
Speaker 2: So crab walk aside, I loved the hummer ev it was super fun too, to have that much power in such a giant thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, it's so great. But okay, soaring car prices are another one I think we can all relate to. I actually did read up on this. Kelly blow blue Book reports that the average transaction price of a new vehicle in the US was at almost forty nine thousand dollars in September. That's up from forty thousand dollars in twenty twenty and ten years ago, the average vehicle price was thirty three thousand dollars. So it's not just you, it's not just me. Like it is true, car prices on average are going way up. But also according to Aaron Keating, who was a COXS automotive analyst, she says incentives are expected to be higher for the rest of the year, so that should help offset some of these costs. But yeah, I mean, when you talk about a four hundred thousand dollars Bentley, It's it's wild how the expense of some of these cars, and it's easy just to throw around numbers and not really you know, that's that's obviously more than I make on my journalist's salary a year. It is a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a ton of money, yea. And I mean, on the one hand, it makes me feel just like an old fogie when I sit around complaining about inflation. When I was in high school, you know, when I was a kid, forty thousand dollars bought you an amazing vehicle like that's a that was a luxury car, Oh, for sure, And it's no longer the case. But I guess as time goes on, you know, we choose to live in a society that wants to overspend and inflate its way out of that debt. So that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure.
Speaker 2: Also, I think I wonder some part of me wonders, if you're a Rolls Royce or a Bentley or a Ferrari buyer, how much does it matter whether it's three p fifty or four huntre.
Speaker 1: I don't think it might.
Speaker 2: I don't care at all, not at all.
Speaker 1: And we've seen the numbers that you know, the average Rolls Royce and Bentley customer owns like two and a half Rolls Royces and Bentley's. This is this is sort of standard. Same with Bugatti. You know, their average customers own multiple anyway, so you know, you know what that reminds me of. And this this might transition us to our next topic. But I just saw, you know, Ferrari debuted their F eighty, their their new supercar, and that car costs three point six million euros and they're making seven hundred and ninety nine of them, all of which have been spoken for, so it's expected that.
Speaker 2: That they're sold out already.
Speaker 1: They're sold out already anyways, and selling all of the cars at three point six million each euros will earn Ferrari a total of almost three billion euros. Wow, So that is just it just shows how profitable these super expensive cars are and also the fact that people are buying them. You know, it's kind of wild. It's a huge money maker for Ferrari. I know we've spoken about profit per car before on this podcast, and we've had some emails requesting I do have some numbers on that not related to Ferrari more general, but it is wild to your point that, yeah, car prices are way up, and you know, the wealthy people seem to be able to afford it.
Speaker 2: I mean, but so are stock prices, right, I mean we're looking at back to back years of more than twenty percent gains. The well Ferrari shares have tripled in the last five years.
Speaker 1: Wild.
Speaker 2: So if you wanted to buy a Ferrari five years ago and instead you put that money in the stock today, you could buy at least two. Barry Ridholts has a whole rant about this, like, if you want to buy the newest Apple MacBook, would it be smarter to buy that much in Apple shares instead? And he's looked back over history and found that the answer is usually yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I mean it's not like you can drive your shares.
Speaker 2: True, or you can't obviously use them as a MacBook. But I just think it's an interesting idea. By the way, this Ferrari F eighty I haven't gone that deep into it.
Speaker 1: Can we discuss this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So it's me think, well, there's the is this supposed to be the continuation of like the F forty Yes, and the FFC yes, so this is but it's a V six.
Speaker 1: Yes, is that twelve hundred horse power? But does that you feel better? No?
Speaker 2: Who cares? Like, honestly, who cares at this level? Who cares about how much horsepower?
Speaker 1: We are living in weird time.
Speaker 2: I don't care if you have eight hundred horse power or fifteen hundred, Like, you have enough horsepower, and it's about the experience of driving it, the way you feel, not about how fast you get from zero to sixty, because it doesn't matter if it's two point five seconds or two point seven seconds. And I feel like the executives at Ferrari are like, hey, let's do the next limited edition supercar with a pity V six, and they'll still We'll still sell three billion euros worth of them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: They've got quite a sense of humor.
Speaker 2: Why I'm not gonna ever buy obviously, And one of the complaints of you know, people get mad at the naysayers on Reddit or on Instagram. They're like, well, you're never gonna buy one anyway, Okay, fair, I'm not going to, yes, but if I had the money, I still wouldn't buy one, because why do I want a V six? Supercar. If I want a V six, I will buy a Honda. They do really good V six engines.
Speaker 1: You know, I do agree horsepower is a diminishing return. It just counts for less and less these days. And yeah, I was speaking with the actually Tony Salerno about about this from JD Power. You know, after you hit like six or seven hundred horse power, there's not a lot more. I, with my non professional driving skills, can get out of any car, whether or not I'm on a track or whatever. And I think that's probably the same for most people. So it does sort of get into the area of esoteric and hypothetical numbers, because twelve hundred horsepower, you know, is not something that's realistic for us.
Speaker 2: It's all about traction control. It's all about your computer systems at that point, you.
Speaker 1: Know, you know. But I love how it looks. I love how it looks. I think it love I love that the front carries over some of this Daytona styling that we saw in the twelve cylinder called the twelve cylinder, if you will recall the car that I drove a month ago, which I actually find very ironic that they do still make twelve cylinders. They're just not putting them in their hypercar. But I love the design.
Speaker 2: There is a styling queue that I think they've taken from the twelve cylinder somehow. They like to put a strip on the hood.
Speaker 1: That's the Daytona look.
Speaker 2: Between the bumper and the hood, and they do that on the F eighty as well.
Speaker 1: Yes they do. And then of course, like from the rear view, if you look sort of from the top, I definitely see elements of the F forty, which of course is like to me, for anyone from our generation, the most iconic Ferrari at the moment, it's it's it's sort of squared off.
Speaker 2: With like you're in a slightly younger generation, Hannah, because for me, for my generation, it's Magnum p I's three.
Speaker 1: To eighth, right, Well are you gen.
Speaker 2: X Yeah, generation golf, as they say in Germany.
Speaker 1: I'm an elder millennial, so I guess we are different generations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and millennials love the F forty. I obviously love it too. I grew up in high school that it came out for me, but Magnum will always have for someone in my age group. Really, Yeah, that's why I wear the Hawaiian shirts, the mustache, the whole thing it's all about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so funny with that mustache. I remember when I sort of it dawned on me that he was considered a sex symbol. It was. It was quite a shock.
Speaker 2: Short shorts, hairy chest.
Speaker 1: What I thought he was a bit camp.
Speaker 2: Wait, he was like Monica boyfriend in Friends.
Speaker 1: Remember, Yeah, I do remember, And that was I think that might have been when I sort of realized, oh there is something there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The dimples so cute.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm not into dimples.
Speaker 2: Back to the car, yeah, yeah, So back to the F eighty. You liked the styling.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I didn't, to be honest, I didn't really pay much attention anymore after I saw that it was a V six, because I think they're really that is, I mean it is.
Speaker 1: It's just wild to me that they are not putting their biggest cylinder engine in their biggest, big boy car. It's funny. It is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe it'll be fun And like I mean, the GTR is a great car. The Nissan GTR is a V six, right, so.
Speaker 1: We can't put Nissan GTR and Ferrari F eighty in the same sentence that we can't we can't, I do. I do think that. You know, Ferrari is still pushing toward launching their first electric supercar in the fourth quarter of next year, and they're sticking with it. So it's I guess it comes as no surprise that they are introducing things along that path, like a hybrid.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, No, a hybrid makes perfect sense to me. You can get so much more power, you can get ridiculous torque. That's how the Mercedes AMG S sixty three makes over one thousand pound feet of torque because of the hybrid system. I mean, otherwise you don't find those numbers in anything short of, you know, like a diesel truck. So I love the hybrid idea, but I just don't know why they want to do a V six when you're talking about multimillion dollar car. You're not even going to make a thousand, So it's not about the environment. I guess you're making a statement that your F one technology also carries over into your hypercars. That's my guess.
Speaker 1: I think so. And also, let's not forget the Ferrari. La Ferrari is a hybrid.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, hybrid's great. It's just yeah, of course I got to drive Sergio Marcioni's La Ferraris.
Speaker 1: That is major for like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, forty five seconds maybe around That is a car.
Speaker 1: I haven't driven. And what did you feel? Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think I exceeded like ten miles an hour and it counts. I just was. I loved Sergio, you know so, and it was exciting to obviously drive the car, even very slowly.
Speaker 1: That's cool. It still counts. Yeah, no, you're putting that not true.
Speaker 2: So wait then I've driven two Ferraris, because I've also driven the ff Yes, which I adore.
Speaker 1: Great, it's a great car. I saw one the other day on the road. I was it was like, it looks so different and unusual.
Speaker 2: Those are fantastic. I mean, I know it's already it was in last year's bowlmarket list and or two years ago. But you can still find them for the cool one hundred, two hundred and fifty grand, and you know they're going to be worth a lot more.
Speaker 1: They're they're so cool. They're so cool and very like again, very unusual. I mean driving to work through Beverly Hills every day, is a very desensitizing thing because I see so many, so many expensive cars, but the FF stands out and it's very cool.
Speaker 2: I also like the z BMW's Z three or Z three as some would can shoe. Yes, the clown shoe version.
Speaker 1: Of course you do, Matt, of course you do.
Speaker 2: It's le kind of cool. And by the way, MG also made there was an MG midget that also had kind of the clown.
Speaker 1: Shoe configuration company or the comparison you. I like the bread Man, a man of your size and stature.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying from the outside looking in, you know, purple, I would be happily. Purple is one of my favorite car colors. Honestly, I love a purple car.
Speaker 1: One of your dad shirts in that car. That is quite a sight.
Speaker 2: It's a little sad when you put it all together like that, but yeah, no, I'm a fan. By the way, speaking of dad shirts and dad cars, I spent another week with the outgoing Jaguar F type.
Speaker 1: How long have you had that?
Speaker 2: No, No, I got it for I don't know why they gave it to me for another week. And rather than saying I've already driven that three months ago, I was like, okay, yes, thank you, because to me, okay, they're not going to make that anymore. It's the end of the line for the F type, at least with the supercharged five leader in it, and that's a great classic motor and it's just it reminded me how much fun a simple sports car is. It's not like the Aston Martin that I had a few weeks ago, the vantage that you've also driven. It's fun, but you're always kind of trying to push the limit because it's an Aston Martin vantage yea and the but this was I felt happy just motoring along, you know, wishing it had a stick shift. It doesn't have that, but that's like the only thing it doesn't have. It's British racing green. It had tan leather interior, it's a rag top. It sounds amazing when you get on the gas. And it was just such a pleasure, such an elegant design. And there's there's still in my opinion, like for a new car, it's overpriced because you can buy a C eight Corvette for the same price, and obviously I'm choosing the Cate Corvette every single day of the week, ob but it was it was fun, for a dad.
Speaker 1: I remember loving the F Type when it came out eleven years ago and thinking it was such a great car, such a great value. And I agree with everything except for it came out eleven years ago. True, and and it's and maybe in the maybe it'll have a little pop in the aftermarket because of all the things that you've just described.
Speaker 2: But it still won't go for the new MSR B.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, they know it's at this point it's not competitive anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, especially at that price. I mean, you're just paying for the motor. Really. But by the way, I drive a twenty twenty three Dodge Challenger. They came out in like two thousand and eight, so that should tell you something about my taste.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, the shirts did it? And then the clown shoe did it? Tommy Bahama, Yeah yeah, all of the above.
Speaker 2: All right, So do you have driven some I think at least mildly interesting cars. Recently we talked about the G Class a little bit. Did your spin by the way, yeah?
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 2: We'll have to at least big them up a little for doing it right, for trying something creative and different, even if it's useless.
Speaker 1: Completely and again you know that car is so capable. I think I went to a dinner the week I had it and sat next to I'm not going to blow him up, but he was the founder of the founder of a very prominent social media company who only drives EV's.
Speaker 2: And okay, that does not limit it.
Speaker 1: I think I think he's gonna he I think he might get one. I think. I mean because I had it that night and I was raving about it. And you know, he had never considered a g wagon before because he only drives EV's. But now that there's an EV version, he seemed I was like, you gotta try it. It's so capable and fun, and they did a good job with it.
Speaker 2: The only thing any listener is wondering right now is who was it? Right? Did he have a spock haircut?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Does he only eat what he kills?
Speaker 1: Mark? No? No, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Did he almost have a cage match with Elon Musk No?
Speaker 1: No, no, is not not not Elon?
Speaker 2: And I was thinking about Zuck, although I think he's thrown his hair out now and he wears like gold medallions over a turtleneck.
Speaker 1: It's not It's not Mark either, but anyway, great, great fun. And then this week I had the GLC, the new GLC hybrid from Mercedes, which weirdly is under embargo until next week, so I can't really talk about driving it. But that was a bit of a different Let's say that was a bit of a less memorable.
Speaker 2: Is it their macn Is it fair to say that's their Macon challenger because I think Maccon takes a bake sure in that.
Speaker 1: Segment, Yeah, you could, you could say that. I mean, yeah, mccon actually is kind of distinctive. I really like, I feel like. So this was the gl C three fifty in graphite gray metallic, and you know, I would just say not as memorable.
Speaker 2: But fantastic electronics. The end box system was amazing.
Speaker 1: And and I drove that all the way to Palm Spring, all the way to Lakinta, which is forty five minutes beyond Palm Springs, and back for a wedding this past weekend and o it to working back all week and only put gas in it once in all of that time, which was awesome because I hate having to stop by the gas station. Really that actually, yes.
Speaker 2: You're like stopping in the gas station does anybody. I love it.
Speaker 1: No, what are you one of those guys that gets out and cleans the wind She is clean the wind shield.
Speaker 2: You know you're you're filling up. You get the smell of the gas. You're nodding at other dudes to her.
Speaker 1: Other dads about their cars, saying, yo, you know what's under the hood. Yeah, yeah, I recognize you. Okay, well you can. You can gas up all my cars. Then next time you come to la do.
Speaker 2: You have a favorite Do you have a favorite gas station in La is No?
Speaker 1: No, no.
Speaker 2: I figured there'd be some old timey, like super stylish gas station that you go to.
Speaker 1: There is an old timey, super stylish gas station in Beverly Hills, and I think it's I'm forgetting it might be on Santa Monica. It's like it looks like a space it looks like something from the Jetsons. It's kind of famous. But the thing about that station is and it's really pretty and it makes for cool photographs. But the gas there is like a dollar more per gallon than everyone else, so I don't go there. Yeah, but that's like the only one. No, I mean, no gas stations around here are just like crummy they're just not.
Speaker 2: No, we have some pretty nice ones in West chest that's.
Speaker 1: Very lucky for you. And you know the thing is, I when I was growing up in Oregon, Oregon, you didn't pump your own gas, which is awesome. So just roll up and have someone.
Speaker 2: Else do it, full service rules. I totally love that. So we have a gas station on the corner down the street from me and they do full service, which is one benefit nice. But the other benefit is they have a garage with two lifts in it. And the old guy who owns the place is always working on classic cars. So he always has like sixties Camaros, Mustang C two, C three corvettes, everything, Like I think he has a Buick Riviera parked in front of his, like a seventies rive in front of his. He always he always parks the classic cars that he's working on around the gas station like lot to make it look cooler. And it works. That's like really working.
Speaker 1: And this is an independently owned gas station. Yep, yep, that's I wish that there were those here. I don't know any.
Speaker 2: It's quite cool. Currently about four dollars a gallon for.
Speaker 1: Premium, Okay, not so bad. Great.
Speaker 2: If we're wrapping up the car portion of I'm driving a motorcycle that I kind of want to talk about. Do it okay. So maybe a lot of people are going to turn off right now because it's only two wheels. But I have a love for Indian because I think it's cool that someone is trying to put up some competition to Harley. Right there are European cruisers, I know, and obviously Japanese cruisers, but there's no real Harley competitors. So I've always liked the Indian. I love the Chief, and I think the build quality is fantastic. They haven't really met I think Harley's performance, and there's some drawbacks to like the Thunderstroke versus the Milwaukee eight. Harley's can keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger, and I think this Thunderstroke is about as big as I can get right now. So they're gonna have to make a new motor. But the Scout is their most popular line, the Indian Scout, and I never really considered it because seems like more of a beginner bike, and I know that's probably not fair. It's like talking about the Porsche came in as like the beginner nine to eleven. But now they have a new scout out, a brand new, fully redesigned and there's one called the one oh one, which is like the top of the line. It has one hundred and I think one hundred and ten horsepower, but it's a feet forward cruiser and I think it's beautiful. But I so Indian lent me one to test drive, and I sat in my driveway for a while because I think it's beautiful, but I didn't think it would be that fun to drive. And last weekend I took it out for a couple hours on Saturday, and then I took it out for a couple hours on Sunday, and now I've been riding it every day after work. Wow, super fun to drive? Really, yes?
Speaker 1: What about it makes it fun?
Speaker 2: So it's kind of soft in the sense that I'm used to writing and do Cootti's normally quite a radical difference, and so you know, there's there's not that much of a friction point in the clutch and you have to really spool it up before it gets going. It's not a torque monster like an air cool big air cooled twin. It's a liquid cool twelve fifty. But it's kind of nice on a cruiser to have to take away a little bit of that sharp, kick you in the butt kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Just easy, like easy.
Speaker 2: When you're easy, when you want it easy, yes, and then when you do spool it up, it can go fast and the suspension is shockingly the geometry and suspension are amazing, Like, im my feet are way on in front of you. But I can easily throw it in the corners, I can weave between cars. It's got double disc brendos, so I can really put a stop on it, and so like when I want to get sporty, I can. But for the most part I'm just up on Highway twenty two, cruising out to Bedford, taking it easy. And it's such a good looking, well designed bike like Indian does these little touches like the triple tree top is engraved and they just go the extra step. I think in design that Harley doesn't feel the need to because Harley can command a premium anyway, and Harley's got it down with the motor.
Speaker 1: So what's the price point on the one you drove?
Speaker 2: They're expensive?
Speaker 1: Are they over fifteen thousand?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think just if you get the one oh one version, right, so if you get the base model, it's probably like fourteen, and if you get the one oh one version, it's seventeen. But for that you get the abs, which on the base model is an option, so you get some things that are optional. Okay, you don't end up spending much more money. And it is has just provided me with, you know, this perfect mindset on weekends, like it's the best way to get rid of stress and you're focused on riding or else you're gonna die, you know. But anyway, Yeah, it's it's it's really got to the point where I've been like looking on the Indian forum, starting to look for starting to look for secondhand. It just came out. But I like the dealer near me, the kid who works there buys the new bike every year, so he's gonna sell this one, and I'm like, hmm, maybe I'll pick it up. You know.
Speaker 1: That's what's the seat configuration? Is it just the one?
Speaker 2: It's just one? You know, you can buy a two up seat. There might be a uh, you know, a way that you could put a passenger on the back. I wouldn't subject to anyone to that, but does you at all, she will ride with me. On occasion, she rides herself, so she doesn't love to ride behind me unless there's like a sissy bar and it's totally custom. But otherwise she has her own bike. So but yeah, it's it's just a fantastic product and it makes me, It gives me hope that we have more than a monopoly on big twin cruisers in this country.
Speaker 1: Do you feel in any way judged or less than when you're on an Indian versus being on a Harley?
Speaker 2: No, No, because this is great. Yeah, like I said, you know, Indian, I think they do a better job in terms of in terms of attention to detail. Yeah, you know, for example, Indian has this round digital dash that is super useful and works as a navigation system. So even if you don't have your phone with you, you don't have to pay a thousand extra bucks for like a Zoomo set up. You can just use that as the navigation. You know. With other more expensive bikes like Dukati will have an amazing digital dash with a tft screen, but you have to like have an app and also have your phone, and it never connects. It doesn't work.
Speaker 1: You can never connect the apps they always tell me to and I'm just like now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, hey, why don't you just like put a nap in there or put Apple CarPlay, Like stop trying to pretend you're gonna beat Apple at this game.
Speaker 1: The last thing I need is another app.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But so yeah, it's very cool. It's it's really it's really high quality.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. I hope you can get one.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Well, we'll see, fun, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I drove a Scout in twenty fifteen. I was just trying to think that might have been the last time I was on one.
Speaker 2: I remember you wrote a review for Pursuits.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and I really liked it. Again, like not really my thing. You know. I learned on a Ducatti and I kind of like dirt bikes and that sort of thing. But to your point, I had a lot of fun. It's just it was just like relaxing and nice, as I recall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty cool stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know that a couple of you had actually mentioned in some emails. It'd be great to know sort of in general, the profit per vehicle that we're talking about when we talk about these big automakers. And I can tell you that Bloomberg Intelligence does have that data, and actually Stilantis, according to Bloomberg Intelligence, has the highest profit per vehicle across all of its brands. It makes about four thousand dollars per vehicle. The next is Toyota, which makes almost three thousand dollars per vehicle, and then after that it's Hyundai, which makes about the same. So I thought that was really interesting. VW as a brand makes it looks like around one thousand dollars a vehicle, which is these aren't to me. I was actually surprised it wasn't more, especially because VW has a lot of our favorite luxury brands.
Speaker 2: True. Wow, does that include Porsia, Bentley, Lamborghinis.
Speaker 1: That's just across all brands. That also includes you know, the brand Volkswagen.
Speaker 2: Which of course I wonder they're doing so poorly.
Speaker 1: Right there, you have all.
Speaker 2: Those luxury brands and you're only making a grand perr.
Speaker 1: And that's also why Porsche, by far is there, you know, makes the most profit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We used to say when I was a cub reporter and I just started a Bloomberg and Frankfurt in nineteen ninety nine, we always described Porscha as the most profitable car maker in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know about that, but it certainly.
Speaker 2: It was then, is what I'm saying. I was gonna say, oh, it definitely was. That was vetted and we used that staff for years.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, after one week after its IPO in twenty twenty two, I just was reading it was it was indeed the most the most valuable automaker in Europe.
Speaker 2: Right, But I feel like in terms of profit, Ferrari may take the cake. They just have huge well, and Tesla also has has huge margins. I know they've been shrinking substantially, but Tesla has very big margins. Ferrari has very big margins. And you know, Tesla is the biggest car maker of all time. And I think Ferrari's even bigger than Porsha now right, because Porscha's worth about sixty billion euros.
Speaker 1: And you mean in terms of the valuation yeah, market cap? Yeah yeah, yeah, not in terms of sales.
Speaker 2: No, No, in terms of their market cap.
Speaker 1: I will say I saw one more note from BI that was talking about Ford and their expected losses per EV. You mentioned Tesla of course being valued so high as an electric vehicle maker. Ford in twenty twenty four is expected to lose fifty four thousand dollars per EV, which is wild, and next year in twenty twenty five, is expected to lose thirty six thousand dollars per EV. And I know Jim Farley, who we've had on this podcast, has has said that Ford will not launch any product that can't make money in the first twelve months of the year. But according to Joel Levington, who wrote this report, you know, he says that that goal is highly uncertain. Just seems like it's it's bad.
Speaker 2: And General Motors, to its credit, has done a much better job of dealing with EV losses. You know, they just put out a bang up earnings report speaking of Bloomberg ye stuff. And I love to go through the market caps of these companies. I just said, Porsche is a sixty billion euro company, so it's like seventy billion dollars if you look at the so Ferrari is an eighty six billion dollar company, bigger than Porsche and almost exactly twice as big as Ford. Right forward is a forty three billion dollar company, and Ferrari's worth eighty six billion. But Tesla blows away all of them at six hundred and eighty billion dollars in market cap.
Speaker 1: That's insane, that is really and that's amazing. I mean, you have to give Tesla credit because they don't They're out there alone. They don't have a parent you know, there's no parent company behind Tesla. No, right, Tesla's Tesla.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean every car company plus like every car company together globally is probably still worth less than Tesla. By the way, they only have one like American I think competitor upstarts oh yes, which is Rivian. And we had a Bloomberg story out on the normal Indiana manufacturer today.
Speaker 1: You know, I thought this was so interesting and I liked it because it illustrates exactly what I mean when I say that making cars is hard. And the headline of the story is crack skull, fractured bones show danger for Rivian's factory workers. And the story is about workers at Rivian's factory reporting incidences and accidents and receiving and the company receiving citations and penalties for having a dangerous workplace.
Speaker 2: For instance, they've had sixteen serious violations in the past twenty one months. They've had yes serious injuries than any other car maker so far in the last well since the start of last year. Let's say so twenty one months, that's you know, yeah, twenty three and so far in twenty twenty four. And one former employee interviewed by Bloomberg said she complained to doctors last year of vomiting bile with a Rivian blue hues.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a horror movie.
Speaker 2: After painting automobiles with her out a respirator. And you got to ask yourself, not only why would they let her paint automobiles without a respirator, but why would she paint automobiles without a respirator.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: This is true even at a mom and pop shop, if you're painting cars, you need to put on a mask.
Speaker 1: This to me, it's just a clear indicator that there are not This is not decades and decades of automaking clearly here. This is. This is new. This is new for this company. And I can't tell you how many times people ask me about Rivian and I say, think what you will about the product, But the company is a startup mentality, and it's a Silicon Valley mentality that is now realizing and recognizing that it's a lot harder to make cars, not computers, but actual cars than they thought, and this is a clear example, in my opinion, I still will fascinating.
Speaker 2: Do you really I've never driven one, I've never been in one, but Mariu this week put together on the Volvo configurator her dream EX ninety, right, which is I'm.
Speaker 1: A big fan of Volvo.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of the design. Yeah, I obviously don't know. I haven't driven the Ex ninety, but it was not like ninety three thousand dollars when she finished configuring it.
Speaker 1: It's expensive, I know, I can.
Speaker 2: Get a Rivian with with like the trimotor Arrivian with like eight hundred and fifty horsepower for the same price. So yeah, all right, that's probably all we have to talk about this week.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it, Yes, that's all.
Speaker 1: This weekend, I am going to go to a very cool auction in La the arms side of the BUSUS holding. It's called the Junkyard. Have you heard about this?
Speaker 2: No, but I already love it because of the name.
Speaker 1: I got to Cindy the link. It's super cool. It's basically this hoarder named Rudy Klein who has hoarded cars and parts and machines and components since the sixties.
Speaker 2: Do they all look like barn finds, only worse because I think I've.
Speaker 1: Seen Yeah, sure you have.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you seen pictures.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. I mean it's crazy, but there are a couple diamonds in the rough. There's like this nineteen fifty seven three hundred sl that they think they're going to get eight hundred thousand and two million dollars on. We'll see. And there are tons of Porschas and other things too. So I'm going to go to that. I'm super excited.
Speaker 2: Nice. Well, yeah, I look forward to hearing about it. I went to a suite like bring a Trailer car show at the Coker Farm in Bedford last weekend. It was a blast, but mainly because the guy who owns the farm, Philip Richter, owed me and Edna, most importantly my four year old daughter around his the horse barn and they have like Olympic level jumpers there. They actually sent horses to the nineteen eighty eight Olympics and incredible. So Edna got to see the horses, and then I got to see his own private collection, including a packard that I can't wait to drive. We didn't have time.
Speaker 1: Well, sounds like we need to have them on the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, we definitely should do that. So yeah, have a great time at the junk yard.
Speaker 1: I'll send you pictures.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm having a birthday party for Edna on Saturday, so she's actually turning for today.
Speaker 1: This is a really big deal. Do you remember when you were four?
Speaker 2: I remember bits and pieces of it. I remember getting some chewing gum stuck in the upholstery of my dad's blue sixty four Mustang.
Speaker 1: No way, which did you get in trouble?
Speaker 2: I think I got in trouble, which is why I remember. I also remember riding on the back of my grandmother's Cadillac Eldorado convertible. She had a black one with red leather, and if we went to church on Sunday, she would take us to Krispy Kreme Donuts in the Cadillac and we we would sit up on the top of the back seat. You know. Back back then, my parents would let me ride around the back of a pickup truck. Like now, we have to have rear facing car seats, so it's a different.
Speaker 1: That's who I love.
Speaker 2: That cool well, I'm Matt Miller, and
Speaker 1: I'm Anna Elliott and this is Bloomberg.