Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 2: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun. From figuring out childcare to mapping out long.
Speaker 1: Term career goals.
Speaker 2: We want you to get the most out of life.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura.
Speaker 2: This episode is airing toward the end of December twenty twenty four. This is going to be our annual year and review episode. Sarah and I are going to be reviewing twenty twenty four. It's been quite a year, of course, Sarah. Where do you as.
Speaker 1: Your review all this?
Speaker 2: Like, what were you looking back on to think about how twenty twenty four went for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, Actually, I mean the thing that helped me the most was looking at our show notes from last year as well as listening to our episode, which I did on my run this morning. So that helped me to kind of know what I set out to do in terms of goals, and then I also went ahead and went to my photos on my phone and scrolled through to see the various travel and kind of highlights. Interestingly, the Apple Photos app now pulls up trips and like gives you these cute little vignette photos and like shows where you've been. It's not perfect, like it did not somehow know that I went to Philadelphia and that that was a trip. I mean, that was like, that was legit.
Speaker 1: It was a trip.
Speaker 3: Just because I saw Laura and had to record an episode doesn't mean that it was you know, work or something anyway. So it's not one hundred percent, but that was a fun way to just kind of scroll through. Oh yeah, that was really awesome in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly looking through photo highlights people put on Instagram obviously, and look back through your recent posts there, just sort of thinking back, looking at the calendar. I listen to old episodes as well, look through our show notes for that. But it's good to spend a little bit of time reflecting.
Speaker 1: On the end of the year, right.
Speaker 2: I Mean we can sometimes we obviously get excited about setting our goals for the new year, but you know, we want to take a little bit of time to pause and reflect on what happened, what didn't happen, or what went right what went wrong. I mean, that's the whole thing with reflection.
Speaker 3: Season, right, And when do you do that, Laura.
Speaker 1: I mean basically to do this episode.
Speaker 2: Although you know, in the course of the year, I've certainly as I had set goals and then check them off or otherwise dealt with them, it was certainly in the back of my mind that, oh, yes, this is something I'm doing, And you know, you try to savor things as they're happening too. I mean, some things that happen in the course of the year aren't things that are planned ahead of time, and they aren't goals that you set for the year, and you want to enjoy those as well as they're happening and leave space in the course of the year for good things to happen.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I will say during Best Laid Plans Live was the first time I formalized like kind of thinking through the year and what had gone well and what had gone poorly. The only difficulty is that it's in early November, so the year just doesn't quite feel like finished yet. But at the same time, I do think, just some sort of formalized ritual where you're really either journaling or thinking through it is just so helpful to me well.
Speaker 2: And the upside though of doing it in early November as you reflect back on the year, is if there's something you do still want to do, you have seven weeks to do it. And a great many things can in fact be accomplished in seven weeks, particularly if they are or specific goals of like something you needed to obtain or a short project you needed to do, or anything like that. I mean, you know, it would be quite doable to do many of those things before the end of the year if it still mattered to you.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we won't give any spoilers, but some of us did complete things towards the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly. But that's we'll get there. We will get there. So highlights, let's start with our highlights of twenty twenty four. I mean, Sarah, what would you put on a highlight reel of the year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were a lot of highlights, and a lot of them do kind of fit into the goals category we're going to talk about. I mean, getting a little deep. It can be really deeply satisfying to meet goals that you've had for a long time, and thus I think it makes sense that those would end up as highlights, but kind of steering away from like the running and the career accomplishment type stuff. I mean, we just had some really wonderful, like family experiences, concerts. It was a most amazing concert year with the kids as well. So all of us went to Olivia Rodrigo together in August, which was definitely a highlight and extremely memorable. Annabelle and I saw Taylor Swift in October which was a highlight. My husband and I saw Mitzki and Ben Fold. So like just going to shows and like having that be a regular, like fairly regular thing was awesome. Also just celebrating things, so my parents had their fiftieth anniversary, my husband had his fiftieth birthday. I felt like we did our celebrations justice in twenty twenty four and that was wonderful. We had one fantastic family trip and one okay family trip. The wonderful one was in Montana going skiing, which I mentioned on the last episode. That's one of our favorite favorite things to do, so that was great. And then the Seattle trip. The Olivia part was great, so that was sort of a highlight. Lauren and I had a lovely trip to Naples working and reflecting and best laid plans live is always a highlight for me as well, so that was tons of fun. And then I'll throw in a random serendipitous one, which was that like three hours before the event was scheduled to happen, I was like, Simone Biles is here and we're gonna go see her, and I took both girls like there was a surprise, like they didn't really know we were going until right before I took both girls and we we saw the Goat Tour and it was super awesome. And just after enjoying the Olympics, getting to see those gymnasts like actually perform on a stage was it was awesome. So I would say it belonged to my highlight reel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well certainly if I'm thinking of experiences in the course of the year, I mean going to Spain over spring break with my two older boys. We had a ton of fun there. I took Ruth to Paris in May with a couple of friends of mine and their daughters and we all saw Taylor Swift there, which was I love Paris in springtime. I was standing to watch the Taylor Swift concert was maybe less of a highlight for reasons we can discuss later. But I saw Olivia Rodrigo with Ruth as well, and that was excellent. We had seats for that, So being able to sit at age forty five is a bonus for a concert, you know.
Speaker 1: I had one like really good.
Speaker 2: Nine mile run on the boardwalk this summer that I would probably put on my highlight reel. I saw the Northern Lights in Portland, Maine when I was there for you know what was a work trip but was also a fun trip as well, kind of like BLP Live.
Speaker 1: It's a combination of work and fun.
Speaker 2: Just you know, like seeing some of the kid victories over the course of the year and celebrating that with them. I mean, in particular, we just had a really good be vague here, but I have five children. I had a really good parent teacher conference for one of my kids. That has not always been our historic experience, but the teacher was saying how wonderful this child was, and I was excited about that. So yeah, there's been some real wins in terms of that, there's also been some low lights. I mean, Sarah, we don't want to be our all social media polished up fague here. We like to keep it at least somewhat real. What were some low lights of the year for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I added this category because I don't think we included it last year. But it's not really fair to be like I won this and this was awesome and like nothing bad ever happens, because it does. That said, of course, low lights have to be more vague because often they involve other people, and no one wants their low lights broadcast on a podcast, So we're gonna vague pod. But just bear with us a little bit because I still think it's important to include. So, first of all, multiple people that are close to me are going through really crappy, hard things, different things, and that's hard. It's hard to know how to support people. It's just sad and things are ongoing. So that's no Number one. Number two was a low light slash maybe turned into a brighter kind of silver lining, which is that we just had some kid challenges. I will say, though, those we seem to have got, like the humps were in twenty twenty four, and they were real, and I think we're like making a lot of headway on them. So in many ways, I feel really good about having navigated that. And then finally, you guys know, I you know, I still will never really be able to give us specifics, but August and September ward bad bad, bad bad, and just low point mood wise, stress stuff going on. Didn't really get much done during that time period, and then I felt like it took me like a month to like recover from that. And so yeah, this year was like kind of a bit of a roller coaster where I feel like it started hard, got better, then like a really low point, and then like like ended on a high note for the most part.
Speaker 1: For the most part. Yeah, yeah, well, I mean my sort of low lights.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was kind of my year of chronic pain that longtime listeners know. I had this back and leg nerve pain episode in January that was really zero fun whatsoever. I could not walk for about a week, which is really a fun way to go through life. But then, of course the recovery from that has been long and fitfull and not straightforward. That the immediate nerve pain stuff was calmed in about two weeks with steroids and painkillers and stuff like that. But I was just clearly like not in great shape for much of the year with that, I mean, like unable to empty the dishwasher without it being excessively painful. So something like going to see Taylor Swift in Paris. You know, it was wonderful to see Paris, but standing at a concert for five hours was excruciating. And but you know, it's like I had to, you know, live my life with that because I didn't want to not live my life, or something like going to Disney like five weeks after the back pain episode. It was really a tough trip, and so much about the trip was like could have been great. I mean, our travel agent was wonderful. We had everything booked, like the rides, the dinners at the places. The kids were not perfectly well behaved. We'd thought it would be great because we'd gone when Alex was the age, Henri is and so, and you know, that had been a great trip.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if it's like having one more kid or it was like the weather.
Speaker 2: It was rainy a big chunk of the time, so that was miserable. And then I was in a lot of pain walking around the parks for you know, twelve hours a day. So that was you know, stuff like that was pretty low point, even though we had some fun moments on that trip too. But I did manage to run a half marathon in October.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 2: Like it just is a slow process. I do think my back is doing better. I can empty the dishwasher now, which is I don't know that I want to be emptying the dishwasher, but I can at least do it, and you know.
Speaker 1: So we'll see. Stay tuned on that.
Speaker 2: Cautiously optimistic, but yeah, not a fun experience. Would not want to wish that on anyone.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you're definitely ending the year in a better place with it than you started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'd like to think so, and not through anything that I could pinpoint of what it was.
Speaker 1: So that's I wish I could, because.
Speaker 2: Then I would have done it earlier or would know to do it again, you know.
Speaker 1: But well, life sometimes you just have to be patient.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I'm wishing you the least pain containing year possible in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: All right, We're going to take a quick ad break and then we will be back to talk. About how some of our goals played out.
Speaker 1: Well, we are back.
Speaker 2: This is our twenty twenty four year in review episode, so we talked about some of our highlights and our low lights. But one of the things we always do is we set our goals for the upcoming year, and then we need to report back on how it went. So using last year's goals episode as a guide, we're going to talk through some of the categories. So, Sarah, why don't we start with your personal goals and what you managed to pull off?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I had a lot of these. I'm gonna not delve deeply into all of them, but we will start with running. I wanted to make it a I wrote train with intent to BQ, continue to work with coach, and I'm reading for my actual show notes for last year. Would also like a new half marathon and five kPr. Well, yay, I did all of that, like all of it, five kPr, half marathon PR in February of twenty twenty four. I did qualify for the Boston Marathon running Bay Shore in May of twenty twenty four, and I worked with the coach to do that. So it was like, honestly, I feel very lucky I mentioned last year or something like or I'll get injured and none of it will happen, and I have to say, like, this is I'm jinxing myself again. But like the longest stretch of injury free running I may have had ever and I don't know. I can't take any credit. I have not been strength training, which I'll get to in just a second. But I do think the shoe tech is a lot better, and I think I'm better off running not on hills, and I live in Florida, so it's better than my old North Carolina running that was all over the place. So yeah, super super happy with my running year. I did have a goal to strength train twice a week. I mean I did that for like probably fifteen weeks out of the fifty two maybe, so I would say no. I wanted to go to a yoga class in person to try it out, and I went once and I recognized it was nice, but just like not efficient enough for my lifestyle, so not something I wanted to continue. But that's okay, I would say check, because my goal was.
Speaker 1: To do it once.
Speaker 3: I wanted to read every day and record the pages read and then also challenge myself sometimes with like harder nonfiction books. I did not do that at all. I mean, I just read what it seemed good. I could read some more academic like nonfiction, like there were a couple, and I definitely read some literary fiction. I read pretty steadily until I had all that stress in August and September, and then I just fell off a cliff completely and then I haven't really gotten back on yet, I guess. But I did read forty books, so it's not like I didn't read. And I do feel like I found a method that I really like for recording the pages I read, which is very simple, and I just like put it on a monthly calendar, and I did it for part of the year, so I wouldn't say I met the goal that I did all year, but I don't know. I kind of figured out the ritual that works for me for that so partial win. I wanted to update my wardrobe, did not do that at all. Fail I wanted to get a many petty every month, but I did note that it might not fit into my budget, and same with massages, and that is correct. They do not fit into my budget with the amount of running shoes and racing shoes that I purchased, so you know, I got manny petties, probably more than other years, but it wasn't like a regular ritual. Actually, haven't gotten a massage in many, many months. And I finally last things where I wanted to use screens thoughtfully, way too vague of a goal I should know better than that. I will say I did okay with this overall. I mean there were times of stress when I did kind of just allow myself to fall into a black hole specifically of Reddit use, which I've talked about. But I was able to climb out of that black hole. And I think I spent more of the year like not doing any scrolling than doing it, so I would call that a win. And then finally I wanted to keep an experience journal and I did it for five months and then was like, this is too repetitive, and I stopped because I just record so much on my daily pages of my home Innichi that I'm like, why am I writing the same thing? So I do like journaling, but I don't need like two places to put that stuff. And I will say my word of the year was experience. And even though I couldn't even come up with a word. When we were revealing our words of the year at Best Laid Plans Live, I was like, what did I pick? I do feel like I like went all in on experiences in twenty twenty four. There were very few experiences that I or at least like things to go to that I would have said no to. I pretty much said yes to whatever. And I think I look at my list, because I made a list of like twenty four things and it's mostly filled out, Like I went to movies, I went to music, I hosted people, I tried some recipes. I have a cent. I had a cent on my list, which is that I identified a perfume that I like. So that's kind of fun anyway. Yeah, so those were my personal goals. I'm sorry that was a lot. I just talked for like four straight minutes.
Speaker 2: Well, I just have a question about the I mean, because you know, we do try to be sort of careful as we are setting goals, and so you would have known that you were spending on things that would make the massages less likely with the allowance.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious why you then set that as a goal.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know what my allowance is. And I guess I thought it would fit. I think I I mean, this is like so ridiculous, but I honestly think my biggest line item was I think I about like four pairs of like close to three hundred dollars shoes. Oh my god, I just like admitted that we're not talking about like prod of heels. We're talking about like Nike Alpha Fly and A six Meta speeds and yeah, because they really do help you race faster and train faster, and they add up. They added up to like a lot of massages. So at the end of the day, my budget didn't work, and I didn't We're really good about like not overdrawing our allowances, so it just didn't fit.
Speaker 1: Okay, But yeah, it was just curious because.
Speaker 2: I thought you knew you were going to be spending money on shoes, so I think I knew how much.
Speaker 1: You didn't know how much.
Speaker 3: Okay, But you're right. It actually wouldn't been really smart since some of these do involve personal spending. I should have like made a little budget in Google sheets or Excel or something to be like what actually fits here. Maybe I'll do that this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, all right, good, Well A lot of experiences for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: So as my personal goals, I said I wanted to listen to all the works of Bach and twenty twenty four, and I have indeed done that. I ended the project in late November. I listened to all one thousand and eighty works in the original BWV category, which I think is bach Vik Verschneititis or something. I'm not going to ruin the German here, but there were works that are lost, so there are more than one thousand and eighty.
Speaker 1: There's some of the thousand and eighty turn out to not to be him.
Speaker 2: I mean we're talking sort of like nineteen hundred level historical stuff.
Speaker 1: But it is the main catalog of his work.
Speaker 2: And I listened to all of it at a rate of about thirty minutes a day over the course of the year. It was an amazing project. I'm really glad I did it. I so enjoyed it becoming more familiar with my favorite composer's works. I certainly knew some of the big ones, but I got to re listen to those. I got to listen to the works that came before the big works that I can hear him trying out themes. I can picture like this cantata just being composed in this church in Leipzig and just being debuted on a Sunday morning, and then the next Sunday there's going to be a different one. And a lot of this actually happened in seventeen twenty four, a lot of the kantatas.
Speaker 1: That was a big Kantata year.
Speaker 2: So it was sort of funny to I wish I had known that ahead of time, I would have maybe matched up Sundays.
Speaker 1: But oh, well I didn't, And it's I forget now.
Speaker 2: Is the seventeen twenty four was that before they did the ten day shift with time?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, no, that's gonna be at this question, I feel like, yeah, you're the Well, there was.
Speaker 2: Sometime in the seventeen hundreds where they had like moved forward like ten days because or backwards, I forget what it was that time had gotten away from the solar.
Speaker 3: Maybe they didn't have leap years, and they got like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they weren't doing the right combination of leap years, and so it had to be reworked anyway. So it probably didn't match up exactly with the Sundays. That but that said, that was totally unrelated.
Speaker 1: It was fun. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I also got to hear a few concerts of box work in the course of the year. I am singing in a box concert coming up later this month, and I've been very carefully working through all the choral works in that piece and it's been really great.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited about that. Yay hit that one.
Speaker 2: I had another goal of continuing regular strength training plus do backstretches and exercises daily. And this is kind of the randomness of life because I had been doing back exercises and stretches for months before I had my back episode, so who knows, Like it doesn't necessarily stop anything, but I've continued to do regular strength training for another year. I work out with a trainer once a week, and I now am generally doing at least one more session a week of repeating the exercises my trainer gave me, maybe not quite as intense as he would have done, but I at least do most of them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yes, I did both of those.
Speaker 3: Awesome. Well, it's been fun to see how much fun that you have had with bach, Like who knew but I love it for you. It was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great. It was a great project, all right. So how about work?
Speaker 3: Yeah's work, which, by the way, fun fact, I forgot that category when I made the notes for last year and you were like, what about work anyway? Okay, So I wanted to work on office efficiency and like the patient checkout for progress process process, thank you, and I kind of did in that. I went a step further worked with my front desk people, and now I don't do anything. I just put in my instructions and count on them to do everything. And so far there have been no catastrophes, so that's it's wonderful. I have streamlined the end of my visits quite a bit from the old days of like printing everything out and running around, and that's wonderful. I had Friday lunches on my goals list because we were still kind of establishing the habit of going out together with work colleagues, not out, but to the cafetia in the hospital on Fridays, and definitely that was like a regular thing. Wasn't every Friday, but it was certainly most Fridays. At least someone sent a tax saying lunch and then we would go I did not plan any work social events. That was a fun idea did not happen. And then for my kind of creative work, I wanted to set up a new seasonal planning series that I called Planning by Season. And yes, I did that in twenty twenty four. It was really really fun actually, in some ways like my favorite program to do, because I actually get another participants really really well because you see them all year long and you get to be like, Okay, how is that work goal going that you talked about two months ago? So that's been a lot of fun and I would call that a success. I wanted to reach out to podcasts that do interviews where i'd be able to contribute. I may have pitched like two podcasts in twenty twenty four. That's not nearly enough. But it's hard. And I even mentioned it my thing. It's like, h you can get rejected or it's not even responded to. That's the most common, by the way. I'm like, come on, just throw me up. Oh we're so busy, thank you so much, blah blah blah. No, So maybe I just need to get a thicker skin and work on that. And I wanted to ruthlessly block some non clinical days to do my own planning. I fit in my planning. I did my seasonal planning. I really need it, like I but it was more like, Okay, I'm going to do it on Thursday on these two hours, rather than having like a whole expansive block of time. And I just I did a lot of work in twenty twenty four, like a lot of creative work, a lot of content, a lot of writing, a lot of stuff. We'll talk about it and yeah, oh, I guess wait, can I are we talking about like what we did? Yeah, yess we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I didn't set it as a goalar That's why it's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh no, but that's okay.
Speaker 3: I mean it happened, so I ended up I think I actually did set it as a goal in our midyear check in because I was like, I know, I've talked about this on the podcast, but I wanted to write a book proposal, and I wanted to write a best laid plans book essentially, And it did end up happening. I wrote my proposal, it got accepted. I am still in the process of finalizing my contract, but I mean, I'm planning on going forward with it, and I have working with an editor already finished two thirds of the book, I mean draft draft, so we're not like done done here, and the tentative plan is it should be released in early twenty twenty six and you'll hear more details on that. But that is a really really big work thing that came up, and therefore my plans to have lots of blank space for rumination just didn't work out.
Speaker 1: But it's okay.
Speaker 2: Well, exactly when great opportunities come, it's it's good to seize them. So that was a definite highlight for you because this is something you'd wanted to do for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yes, many many years. It was on my one hundred dreams list. It's been kind of percolating around. It's been one of those goals that I've wanted to move forward but then kind of stalled out on many times. So it's been incredibly exciting to see it actually come to fruition. So yeah, I guess that was a very low key little announcement, but that's not the official announcement because again have to finalize some stuff. That's the pre announcement, So yay, yay, No.
Speaker 2: I love that I love. I can't wait to read the book. Very excited, very excited about that. Yeah, my well, I also had book related goals for my year. I said I wanted to finish my proposal, get a contract, and mostly write.
Speaker 1: A new book.
Speaker 2: And I did my new agent and I sold, We got a it's great to put the announcement as a two book deal at auction.
Speaker 1: In April, so that was exciting.
Speaker 2: I've written five out of eight chapters of my book, which will also be out in early twenty twenty six, so I guess I'll say that I've mostly written at this point.
Speaker 1: So yay. I had put that I wanted to speak.
Speaker 2: Somewhere internationally that did not wind up happening, and I, you know, put this that I turned down actually a few things, because it's not that can I go speak to some group somewhere, is that I wanted to do it as part of my commercial corporate speaking business. I still think I will wind up doing this fairly soon, but a lot of international speaking is also being done virtually, like I will speak to the entire global group of corporation because they can do that via zoom or by broadcasting from their American headquarters.
Speaker 1: So it's an interesting time.
Speaker 2: I like to travel internationally, and so I thought that, you know, this will be a way to do it, and I will. But it's interesting to see how the speaking business is sort of evolving over time. So we'll keep stay tuned on that one. I wanted to keep writing my sonnets. I guess I put this in my work category, even though nobody is paying me for my poetry, so maybe this is more of a personal one. But I was writing in twenty twenty three. I also wrote a sonnet a week at a pace of two lines a day, so that comes out to fourteen lines a week, yam pentameter with a certain rhyming scheme. I enjoyed doing that in twenty twenty three, so I re upped for twenty twenty four. I wrote fifty two more sonnets by the end of the year. I guess when we're recording this, I've probably written forty nine or something. But yeah, it's been a lot of fun, and some are terrible, the vast majority are middling, And then in the course of a year of writing them, I get somewhere between five and ten that I really like. But if you keep cranking out five to ten poems you really like every year. In a couple of years you will have a full collection of poems that you really like. So hopefully I'll do something with that eventually.
Speaker 3: Oh, another book of poetry.
Speaker 1: Another Well again, I doubt anyone's going.
Speaker 2: To commercially publish my experimental poetry. But the good news of having built my platform writing about other things is I can simply distribute it to a large variety of people, possibly get more readers for my poetry than the vast majority poetry books. But anyway, so the last one was vander Hacks that I was saying, I wanted to start my newsletter through substack. This was the cool thing all the kids were doing in twenty twenty three is starting a substack newsletter, And I figure, what why not? So I started a daily short tip. It's come to a system where I have three free posts a week and two behind the paywall. I have about four hundred paying subscribers right now, a little over four thousand total subscribers now. So I've built that up and posted every day, and you probably we will keep doing that over the course of the ear It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: I have enjoyed lots of them. I'm a paying subscriber. I just renewed, by the way, excellent. They're great. I mean I get inspiration from them, and I know you really well, so I highly recommend vander Hacks excellent.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then we'll be back with the last part of our year in review. Well, we are back with our twenty twenty four year interview episode. Something of an annual tradition around here. In seven years of podcasting, you wind up with a fair number of annual traditions, kind of like going to see the Nutcracker or something like that. So, Sarah, let's talk about your relationship goals and what happened there.
Speaker 3: I think I met a lot of them, but I was not terribly specific about the amount of time I wanted to spend, so it's a little bit hard to gauge success. But I did want to carve out more one and one time with each family member, and I feel like I did with Annabelle, I think I did with Genevieve Cameron somewhat. I mean, the kids' activities sometimes do lend themselves to having one on one time because as we split them up and two of them go to gymnastics and one of them goes to soccer. Somebody's getting to spend that time without one kid. So I feel like maybe more last year than prior years, but still could be a little bit more. I wanted to do at least one date night a month with Josh. I think we did hit that milestone. I wanted to do two couples trips with him, and I did admit they might both be marathons, and that did end up happening, but turns out you can have lots of quality time even when you're preparing to run a lot of miles. And then I wanted to see my family in Philadelphia at least three times, but after the episode aired, I remember taking a last minute pivot and instead of going to visit them in January because our January was getting very full, I ended up going in late December. So that was kind of like my I only visited in the two times in twenty twenty four, but that last trip was supposed to be January, so kind of counts. Came in November, came in July, and then had come at the end of twenty twenty three. Yeah, that was it. From my relationship goals, they were kind of minimal compared to the others, but I think I did pretty well. Would give myself a B plus on the one on one time.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm always glad that you are resolving to come to Philadelphia because that means I get to see So we definitely saw Sarah several times in the course of her coming to Philadelphia, which is always great. Yeah, So my relationship goals for the years, I wanted to prioritize teen time, I mean in older kids in general, and putting that into my schedule. And I'd say that, yes, I got a lot of good time with my older kids.
Speaker 1: Obviously.
Speaker 2: I took the older two boys to Spain, as mentioned in a highlight in Paris with Ruth also a highlight. Great to do those things. I took Jasper to New York City in June. That was one of his Christmas presents. Michael took Sam diving on a trip that they went for a couple of days in the spring, so they got some time together. We did a lot of Starbucks runs, a lot of driving kids around. I mean, I do look for opportunities to sort of linger over dinner when we are having family dinner or something close to family dinner. Often the little boys run off at some point. They are very difficult to get to stay and the older kids are pretty good dinner companions at this point, so we often sit around and chatting, and I enjoy that. I like to think my relationships with them are reasonably strong, and I do not take that.
Speaker 1: For granted at all. I'm very glad for that.
Speaker 2: Another goal was to celebrate my twentieth anniversary with Michael. We celebrated our twentieth wedding anniversary in September, so what we actually did is we took a trip together to Bar Harbor, Maine and Acadia in October, sort of peak leaf season. We ran the half marathon together then. It was pretty good trip. I mean, the race itself was not my favorite. I do not believe I will be setting any running goals for twenty twenty five, but we did, in fact take that trip to celebrate our anniversary, so I guess I would count that as having done that. I also wanted to just do more regular friends stuff, which I guess is a pretty vague goal. Also that I could travel to see people, and I think I did pretty well on this most weeks I do something friend related. I definitely saw some folks in person that I enjoyed that I don't live near. I was glad to see a handful of folks in the course of the year and various trips. So yeah, I would say that was a positive. I'd give myself a fairly good grade on that one. And some of that was just like things come up, like other people suggest trips, and it was one reason to leave some space as you're planning the year. Like a friend from college suggested the Paris trip, and you know, then I got to spend time with her, and you know, also spend time with Ruth while I was there.
Speaker 1: Some of our.
Speaker 2: Listeners had to get together in New York City in April that I went to and really enjoyed seeing them and going to the Botanical Garden there and going out to eat and all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I got together with some friends and work friends in Portland, Maine and October and enjoyed that, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was a good year.
Speaker 3: We did our Philadelphia meetup that year. This year, didn't we In July twenty twenty three, Oh no, we just went on a date together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, okay, we enjoyed that as well. We went to a relationships one.
Speaker 3: No. I had a flashback to the photo that we took all together, and I'm like, wasn't that from a big party? You know, the party was a year before, but that was the same restaurant. Yes, I like relationship highlight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we go to this Mexican place. And I'm always up for going to this Mexican place with friends. So glad we were able to do that too. That was a definite highlight this summer of seeing you and Josh and getting to do that. All right, Sarah, household goals. Let's hear what you have there.
Speaker 3: I forced in there against your will, but that's okay, all right. I wanted to establish a family reading routine. Nope, didn't at all. I'm sad about that. Actually, that was such a great goal. I may have to try it again. I wanted to do more formal family meetings, and I would say we did get like into a better root of really reviewing what's coming in the week most Sundays because I'd complete the board, the board on our the bullet the like white board in our hallway and it's right near the dinner table, and it's just like it was a natural thing. So it kind of evolved that we would talk about what was coming. And I feel like we got it to a functional place, so that's great. I wanted to complete our estate planning, and I had that on my list for a million years and we did finish it. Yay, okay, to be fair, like, I think there's some other like to do items associated with the planning, but I was reassured by our lawyer. He said if we did nothing else from here on out, we would still have our kids dealt with. We would have avoid probate. Like everything's good, Like everything else is bonus. So I will call it a check, a big win, a struggle. This was really on my list for a lot of years, but I found it emotionally fraught. I found it really vague, and I'm just glad we were able to make it happen. And you know, I thought I had resolved to organize my home, but that's just every single other year. I must have given myself a break in twenty twenty four from that.
Speaker 2: So good because it's not yeah, that's I mean, not setting goals is one way to achieve them, and I set no household goals, and no goals are easy to hit. Although I will say I've been enjoying my house this year. You know, a lot of the projects we did over the past few years have finished come to fruition. It's been fun to see, like the yard, you know, we decorated for Christmas this year. We got professional decorating with the lights out in the yard. It has been enjoyable seeing that I now have five Christmas trees in the house, only two big ones. The others are smaller, but they are all decorated, so I get into things like that. It wasn't a goal, but it's been a highlight of the year real quickly. Another highlight for us has been our Patreon community. We have really enjoyed getting to know the people who are part of that. We have great discussions over on our site. If you're looking for sort of an alternative to social media. We often have long discussion threads there. We have monthly meetups, our annual goal setting, our goal setting workshops. We've had a book club this year. We've done a lot of things talking about like meal planning or organization. Really enjoyed that. We will be posting our curriculum for the upcoming year soon. But two things that Sarah's indulging me that we will be doing is in lieu.
Speaker 1: Of sort of a regular book club.
Speaker 2: We were going to do a book club discussion of one hundred and sixty eight Hours in May because that will be the fifteen year anniversary of one hundred and sixty eight Hours coming out. And we'll also do a book club discussion of I Know How She Does It in June because that will be the tenth anniversary of that book coming out.
Speaker 1: So if you.
Speaker 2: Happen to have read either of those books or we'd like to and want to discuss that with me and Sarah, we would welcome that. And of course, you know, our December Annual Goals Workshop is a great way to test out Sarah's course offerings.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's been really fun. I do feel like our Patreon has like gelled a lot this year. Like a lot of people, I've just seen them frequently comment. I'm sure there's some people who comment less, but then they join in the conversation when they feel like it. Our threads have been a lot of times instigated by people being like, hey can you crowdsource I need gift ideas for an eight year old boy, and then we put it up there and we get so many awesome ideas in this group, and yet it really does lack the addictive qualities of social media, at least for me. So if that is something you're thinking about, like, I don't want to be doing as much of that. What could I do instead? That feels more enriching, feels positive. This is a great place, So we would love to have you. Yeah, and I'm very excited to finalize our curriculum.
Speaker 1: I love the word parculum. All right.
Speaker 3: The question the question all right, we and this one I think does come from someone who was in Patreon so amazing. This person asked, what exactly is a house manager and what's the difference between that and a nanny? How would you go about finding one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, so this is if you think about what is required to run a household, there are often a lot of things like grocery shopping or organizing or taking returns back, or meeting contractors, getting bids on things like especially if you're doing any sort of home renovation projects, or you have appliances that break, or you know, anything along those lines.
Speaker 1: Are just general.
Speaker 2: Upkeep of a space, and it takes a lot of time. It takes a lot of work. And when people have full time childcare, sometimes because that person is home during the day, they may be able to handle some of it, especially if you have kids who are in school for any amount of hours. So a lot of times what happens is like your youngest kid goes to preschool for three days a week for four hours a day, and so it's like you still need full time childcare because that does not cover your work hours. But the person has some time then that they could do various things, and so often what people wind up doing is having their nanny take on more of this house manager type role. But if you are aging out of the time when you even need childcare, along those lines, you could consider hiring someone for a certain number of hours a week to deal with these sorts of things. So maybe the person works let's say Wednesdays and Fridays, and so you always have them arranged to have contractors or deliveries or anything like that happen on Wednesdays and Fridays, and then they can do various things like resetting the house or you know, noticing what you're out of and say, oh, well the light bulb up there is out, I will go fix it. Things like that that you would do if you were focused on your home full time, but because you are not focused on your home full time.
Speaker 1: You won't.
Speaker 2: And I mean this is the sort of thing that like, I mean, people who are like stay at home moms wind up doing and then when they feel that they are not, like people like, well, your kids are in school, like what are you actually doing? Like, there's still a lot of work to be done, especially you know, for people who have bigger families or bigger houses even you know, or things like that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's what they would do. I would.
Speaker 2: As for finding people, I mean, I think it's just a lot of networking, like anything else, asking other people. You know, maybe somebody else has somebody who's working two days a week and they'd like to work more, and you know, then you could have them for two days a week as well, or you know, you could post on the various places like care dot com or anything along those lines.
Speaker 3: Probably a regular job board too, maybe like indeed or yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah cool, certainly. Or there are agencies, I mean, there's household staffing agencies. If you wanted to go that route as well, same as you know with finding a nanny. Obviously you can post somewhere like care dot com. You can go through a large number of agencies that will help you find people, and so it'd be very similar.
Speaker 3: I think one thing you mentioned that I didn't really know about house managers with that you could have a part time one. So that's really interesting, like the idea that like, you know, you don't eat childcare anymore, but you do, you have enough of those loose ends things and maybe they just always do your grocery shopping as well or something like that. But two days a week or ten hours a week or something like that might be achievable for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and can certainly make life a little bit more calm when your light bulbs aren't all out so well, I guess this is we're even thinking Love of the Week, but kind of a lot. This has been all Love of the Week again, our year and their VEO home. We love twenty twenty four mostly.
Speaker 3: Yes, we love twenty twenty four. We love our Patreon members, we love our listeners. Thank you so much for anyone who's followed our journey from the twenty seventeen beginning of this podcast, but also welcome anyone who joined us new in twenty twenty four. We're grateful for all of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can see that our listenership has gone up a bit in twenty twenty four, so we're excited about that to welcome new peace people to the community.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you are our love of the week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, and we will be back next week with more on making work and life fit together.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening. You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And you can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. This has been the best of both worlds podcasts. Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.