Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done?
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. An SVU podcast another episode. I am Lisa Traeger.
Speaker 1: And I'm Kara Klank, and you know, we talk SVU. We talk true crime, and then we interview a guest sometimes, but first we catch up in chat. Lisa, what's going on with you? You're all over the place.
Speaker 2: Well huge morning plane. Jane did follow me back on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Thanks excuse me? Yeah, so that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I wonder maybe I can stalk her in New York and get my claws in her because I am so excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Actually, as the release of this of this episode comes out, we will know who the new queen is. We don't because obviously we're in a bit of a time machine.
Speaker 2: When are we getting the reunion? Like I loved the lip sync. I think we should talk about it.
Speaker 3: I think it was Friday. It was a lip sync battle with all the eliminated queens. Oh, I didn't know that. I haven't watched.
Speaker 2: Yet Oh okay, I thought it was that reunion.
Speaker 3: No, it was a lip sync battle. I kind of turnt.
Speaker 1: It was awesome because you know, I don't love the sit down reunion that much for drag Race. I certainly do for Housewives, but for drag Race, I don't love it as much.
Speaker 3: I do love it, but the lips.
Speaker 2: What I love about it is like the Limited, you just get to see the Limited queens shine and give them another chance to solidify their careers post show. So I love that that outfits were fun, the vibe was fun, and then I love the reunion no matter what. But I'm wondering if it's going to be one of those live finales where it's in then like at the theater and it's the Queen's because that or what's gonna happen?
Speaker 3: Or do we not get a reunion anymore?
Speaker 2: Like I'm devastated, well, because why would it happen after the finale? That's or maybe it will be after the finale.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty positive finale is the nineteenth, because I googled it because my brother's coming to town, my brother who got me into drag Race, and we're planning to go watch it at a bar somewhere, and so I've been like texting around with people being like, where are you watching finale? So I feel like it's definitely happening, But I don't know if there's going to be the same kind of sit down, spill the t vibe that they've had.
Speaker 3: Maybe they were like just replaced. I don't.
Speaker 2: Especially with playing Jane and all the drama that's been caused, and like there's just been so much stuff. So I definitely want to talk with the girls. I mean the mandatory meeting, Like why would they miss out on that kind of opportunity?
Speaker 1: I know that's what I was gonna I was just about to say, a mandatory meeting. You're right, maybe they're gonna do it like the shit they do on the stage at the live shows where they kind of bring out a little clumps through me so they talk. Yeah, maybe they're gonna do that. I bet they will. I bet they will. I'm just surprised because I usually know a couple of people that go to the live and I maybe I'll just text my one friend who usually goes and be like, did that did it happen? Did they already recorded at like the Ace Hotel? Because well, and.
Speaker 2: Then I felt like a fool because then I saw a post that said Rupaula is retiring, and then I took a springshots to read it later and then and then in Baltimore, I was talking to some Gaze about it and they're like, god, you're so straight.
Speaker 3: That was like from ten days ago, and I'm like, I am. I want to let you know solidarity. I fully fell into that.
Speaker 1: It was the fitness Gaze instagram that I follow and they said they they go.
Speaker 2: It's a parody account. I go, yeah, I thought they were reposting it. It's a big deal in the game. He's retiring, Like.
Speaker 1: It's not crazy like ru Is, you know, running himself ragged with all of these things. So I don't think it's crazy, like but I read it out loud to Jared and was like, oh my god, RuPaul stepping down. Like I fully fully walked into the trap. And I also remain a straight person that's been fooled. But I'm excited to watch it, especially with my bro show him the sort of fun la drag race bar scene. But anyway, I'm excited. Obviously, I was talking to my friend Jed, He's on team Nymphia.
Speaker 3: I'm Sephira.
Speaker 1: I think it's Sephia's to lose pretty much, but because I think they're gonna want to keep Jane for an All Stars obviously, you know they need another season of her wreaking havoc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know they given't. I hashtagged playing Jane tonight, Listen. I was all team Saphira. She is credible and good at everything, but the one slip up just really it's in my head. I think the twin challenge was a giant flop. She obviously had a pivot last minute, but like, I just can't see her the same and it's unfair because she is so good, but I just I can't look past that little blue underskirt, the puffy thing.
Speaker 3: I just can't.
Speaker 1: We're also coming off of like a Sasha season where Sasha made zero mistakes, and so yeah, I can see why there's a little bit of but.
Speaker 3: You're allowed to flop.
Speaker 2: It was I couldn't look past the flop because plane Jane also, you know, had a lip sync last week or two weeks ago and it did true. But I just love her face and the episode you didn't see she's wearing a Google eye outfit, and I do love Google eyes, so they're out.
Speaker 1: Famously gave one of our friend's kids a two pound bag of googly eyes for.
Speaker 3: Their birthday, right, you I did a long time ago. Yeah, I think this is like six years ago. I know you love googly eyes. Well.
Speaker 2: I also had one of my dreams come true where I did get to tell on a child at an art museum that was touching the art. So it was it was ridiculous. She kept touching the art and the dad was just kept being like, I mean, don't touch it, but like kept letting her touch everything. And I said what the fuck twice to this family and they did nothing. So I ran out and I said there's a kid in there touching art, And boy did this.
Speaker 3: Man run fast and he caught her mid touch.
Speaker 2: And then the mom made a face of like what like, okay, relax, and it's like, are you out of your fucking mind? Like I think I think if you're I think you should.
Speaker 3: Be kicked out of a museum. I do. I do.
Speaker 2: I think if you touch art you should be immediately escorted out.
Speaker 3: Reason No, not cool.
Speaker 1: I mean there's reasons why I haven't brought my son to many art museums.
Speaker 3: You know he can't be.
Speaker 1: Trusted, but oh, absolutely not. I'm glad you fucking got it taken care of. I mean, I know this is gonna be old news. We're in the fucking time machine, but just let me have this. Taylor and Teresa Judais side by side at Coachella. What is happening with life? I know there was, but we're saying it's photoshop, and I was like, I think, unfortunately it is real, because Louis had pictures of him clearly trying to take creepshots of Tailor and Travis like behind him, like acting like he was taking a selfie but holding it way too high and trying to get them in photos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a tweet that said, one day I'll have to explain to my grandchildren why this is framed in my home. And I loved that he also lifted her. I mean, it was a big day. It was a big day. She was drinking.
Speaker 1: I forgot it was Coachella until all those picks started pouring out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun and she's like a genius. She gets to just get drunk at Coachella with this hot ass dude who's lifting her up. But also be promoting her album all at the same time. It's magic. I'm lucky to be a part of it. I'm not a part of it. I'm not a part of it. I'm glaring at it on my phone.
Speaker 1: But I just saw an article that I almost sent to you but got distracted. Like New York magazine or somebody has an article that's like Taylor Swift, like broke up our friendship or something. But I don't know really the context of the article. It's just it was like about like someone as a swifty being friends with a not swiftye and it didn't go well. But obviously there's underlying issues. It's not like Taylor broke up their friendship, you know. But I'll send it to you. I'll find it and send it to you.
Speaker 2: Ending Okay, it was only posted five hours ago. You really got your hands on it quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I actually I'm a new subscriber. I get the print versions of New York Magazine sent to me and the cut. Oh it's one of my I thought for New York. You know what, I miss magazines. I'm gonna be here a while.
Speaker 1: A magazine's a great thing to like throw in your bag. For the subway too. You know, we're not We're not lugging around books.
Speaker 3: We're just not.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: And the articles are long. I mean the articles are long in there. These are investigative pieces. So okay, let's see. This is ending a friendship over Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift remains a constant source of comfort and understanding. My friend has become a distant memory.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean like they intrigued me with the title because I was like, what happened?
Speaker 3: But then I didn't get to click yup.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I was sending one of our I was sending a friend while talking to her multiple photos and she kept going, why are you doing this? And I was like, oh, I thought I was trying to explain something to you. She goes, I got it. I'm like, god, I got got it. I don't remember what I was trying to prove to her. Oh, I just said, Oh, it's exciting that she gets to be like in the crowd of Coachella, Like, as a super famous person, you would think you'd have to be side stage, and she was for some of it.
Speaker 3: But and I also hate that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, I'm just so happy that this billionaire found love.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: But here we are, I mean, but I'm just like, I'm happy that she gets to be in the crowd and mostly left alone.
Speaker 3: But also we got the picks.
Speaker 2: But the sushi restaurant she goes to is an omakase spot, and it is about four hundred dollars a person, even though it isn't a strip mall in La over A. Yeah it's but it's like a FedEx strip mall place. But it's been a celeb hot spot, I guess for twenty years. I did read an investigative report on why celebrities life to go there, Pulitzer.
Speaker 3: Prize winning report, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: And she was wearing a skirt that only costs forty dollars, Like I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah she I think she probably does a lot of mixing of high low, right.
Speaker 3: Like that's her total thing. It's about relatability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Gucci sneakers were definitely not forty dollars.
Speaker 1: But wait, really quickly, back to what you were saying about the kids touching the art. I have another kid thing I want to run by you. That happened to me. It didn't happen to me, it came into my life in the past few days. So you know that we belong to like a swim club in La okay, and it's you've been it is. Look, I recognize my privilege in being able to go to a pool, take my kids to a pool. It was important for me for them to know how to swim. But it is not fancy, right, It is like kind of just whatever. There are no lifeguards. It's like whatever, Okay, I don't think it's fancy. So it just popped like started popping off again because it's like getting warm here in La. So we get an email the other day that was like, hi, like, we just want to remind members that to uphold the elegance and sophistication of the club, please do not change your small children like on the pool deck, like change them in and out of their clothes or their bathing suits. And I am super guilty of that, Like I do that every single time. My kids are not embarrassed of nudity. I don't really, I don't care. So I just changed. It's not like I let them do a lap naked, but I take them out of their clothes really quickly over like buy a lawn chair and then I put them their bathing suits on really quick, and then when they get out, they're freezing and they're always like, give me out, and so I just take their bathing suits off really quick and put their clothes on. So now we've been told we're not supposed to be doing that. And I wrote back and was just like okay, Like, cause you've been there. The only bathroom is up in a in a main club area where you have to be dry impossible with children.
Speaker 3: You have to be dry to enter that area.
Speaker 1: Or you can go down these treacherous backsteps and they are like treacherous, they are treach.
Speaker 3: You've seen them. Like you're talking to me like it's.
Speaker 2: Either I've been down there, and then if father was like, my daughter's in there, can you help her?
Speaker 3: And I'm like I guess.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like and it's like if I go down there, if I have my kids alone, you're telling me that in like a two hour period, I would be going down there once to get them in bathing suits, down there for diaper changes, down there for bathroom changes, and down there for a swim change. Like I'm going up and down this set of stairs three to four to five times in a few hour period if I'm by myself, and I obviously took it to a Facebook group as you know, as my want a new group. I've been added just to parents at this at this place, and I got it. I got a conversation started, like everybody was like fuck that I'm not doing that. Like every I thought at people were gonna be like, yeah, it's weird, like don't have kids out there naked, But uh, everybody was like I'm doing this.
Speaker 3: Like this is crazy. So what do you think? Well, I don't know because.
Speaker 2: We went to the pool, and I guess it's kind of the situation like I think we were the only people doing that, But it's also not an issue to me. Yeah, I do want to know the like what the elegance they mean? Do they mean like we got we have pedophiles here, you got to be here? Like is that what they're saying what I'm saying, or is it like it's like these are children I don't know, or it's like like who is uncomfortable by a naked kid?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Did I talk on this podcast about the time that I brought Rosie to that this kid's museum and she got her clothes wet and she was potty trained, and like, but I didn't have anything for her to wear. So she was wearing a super long T shirt covering her private area. And someone called the staff on me and said I had to put a diaper on her, and I was like, she's potty trained, I'm not going to put a diaper on her, and they were like, well, you just like she has to cover up. But I was like, I'm at a children's museum. Everybody here has a child with them, like someone has a problem with of a giant, Like I'm so confused by this. This is like this to me, it relates a little bit, yes, and it relates to like you shouldn't be wearing something so short if you don't want guys to like comment on your you know what I mean. It's like, let's not give pedophiles the temptation, Like what are we saying? Like I don't I don't have a problem with nudity like at all, even like really for adults, I'm pretty open. I used to walk around my New York apartment like windows open, like I really don't care that much.
Speaker 3: But I'm just like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm curious if someone complained, like why they did it?
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Well, they say, also it's health stuff because they serve food out there. But it's like this was like Wednesday Thursday when everybody just started coming because it got like nobody's eating.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's there because of you?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, not at all, not at all, not at all, because a lot of people do this.
Speaker 3: I see it all the time.
Speaker 2: Wait, how did they respond to you once you wrote the email?
Speaker 1: I didn't write back saying fuck you, I'm gonna keep doing this. I was like, Okay, if you could like put up some kind of curtain makeshift like changing area on the upper area so that I don't have to go down into the depths of hell to change my children, like that would be great. They're like, yeah, we have to follow like LA Health code. I don't know if we're gonna be able to do that. And I was like okay. I was like, it's just very difficult with children. Like they put in the email, we understand the difficulties of raising young children.
Speaker 3: And someone in my and.
Speaker 1: The group was like, do you like you're asking us to do this like thing, but your your physical space is not like designed for people with young children.
Speaker 3: In mind sorely till I was a long time.
Speaker 2: It was just underwear and my sister in the Soviet Union, I mean, until she.
Speaker 3: Got to America.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, I think it's it's not a worldwide global issue.
Speaker 3: It is. Yeah, it's pure If.
Speaker 1: Somebody wrote next thing you that next thing, you know, they're gonna say no breastfeeding, Like it's like what you know, But I don't know, wanted to.
Speaker 3: Throw it out for you.
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't think they're gonna fucking do anything. And I also think, according to everybody that posted on this post that I made, that popped everybody off. No one's going to stop doing what they're doing. Like everyone's gonna keep doing it. So it's like be discreet, like don't let your kid like just like run around fully naked.
Speaker 2: I guess, like, oh wait, but I went to the Outsider Museum, the American Visionary Museum in Baltimore, and there was a flyer outside of an exhibit and it said having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.
Speaker 3: Oh pretty good, look at that. Yeah you hear that, casey.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So I took a photo of that, and then I saw that fucking kid touching the art and I'm like, I hope they see this fucking banner too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So anyway, just another day in like not being able to, uh have my children naked anywhere I go, even though that's my goal.
Speaker 2: I think if we should be able to be naked, but I guess we were the only ones, so it's like, as no one else doing it, but then in this group, it seems like everyone's doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I went to.
Speaker 2: The beach with one of her other friends and this was a big beach and her kids were fully naked and people were not into it because there are the only ones. So it's like it's not a big deal. I think kids should be able to be naked, like that's the point. Yeah, But because they're not, then your kids are the only naked kids right in a hundred plus kids.
Speaker 3: So that's why it's weird.
Speaker 1: And obviously it's like I will take my child's lead on this too, like in case anybody is like gonna you know, like if my kids suddenly are like no, no, no, I want privacy, Like they know about privacy from like going to the bathroom and stuff like that like, if they suddenly don't want to be naked, I'm not gonna like strip them naked. But why didn't they don't you know, like no, no, I'm not saying you, but like, you know, just in general, it's like I think a lot of people, like I've been with kids that are my daughter's friends and their parents take me to the clubhouse because they're like, she doesn't really like to be like n and it's like that's fine, great, like but mine don't care, so I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I'd sick of weird. It's a weird thing.
Speaker 2: Well, my dad made me pee outside when I didn't want to, and all of our friends that we were going to Disney with did see me, and it was humiliating.
Speaker 3: So not.
Speaker 1: That was another part of the email was no letting them pee in the bushes, And I was like, listen, I go when I wrote, I go, I'm not talking about that part. That part I'm fine with. We're not we should not be letting them just like use the bathroom wherever, but like you know, at a you know, at a property.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think it's just because there if it's the only one, because if ever I'm thinking of like the heckling thing where it's like, what, what's the big deal. I'm like, well, no one else is heckling, so clearly this is an issue. Yeah, or like it's weird, but they're the weird ones because who cares.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, thank you. I knew you'd be on my side on this. It is.
Speaker 2: It's not a sciatal thing. It's like a big oh my god, it's so funny. I was getting a facial and like we were vibing, but then me too came up and then it was like, oh great, Oh no. She's like, I don't know, you're an adult, you can leave, and I was like, yeah, I just think it's a little more complicated than that. I know.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, you're having a great conversation with somebody and then they just like bring up the most terrible stand up comedian and they're like I love them.
Speaker 3: You know, You're like, no, we were doing good. Well.
Speaker 2: So my train to Baltimore was delayed I think like two and a half extra hours, and so I was on there for a while. There was i would say, a child like a freshman in college next to me watching clips of Michael cha and so I thought it was funny. But then I saw Ben Shapiro came up in his Explorer page and I'm like, you better ignore that, bitch. But he was watching golf, and I'm sorry, Like golf did not have this kind of a moment ever in my life. Like, I don't understand how golf has a choke hold right now on everybody, even in the stores. Like, if you're watching golf, you're a young teen. What is going on?
Speaker 1: My brother is my brother David has always been super into golf.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know how does he feel he knows there's been an explosion right, like there's got to.
Speaker 3: Be or he's just always been into it.
Speaker 1: Well he's always been into it, like because he's always been into it. He was a caddie when he was a teen, and like he loves it.
Speaker 2: No, I know, but how does does he realize that it's the current?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like that's total or do you think it's just because the masters is happening right now or like.
Speaker 2: WHOA, I think pandemic because it was an outdoor activity and I think that, but it's kind of like I was talking to a group once and I was like, oh my god, everyone's skiing and they're like, no one is skiing in my feed, and so it's like, oh, I might know people that are doing something different in skiing and it's not universal. But I feel like golf is everywhere, like the outfits every like it just seems more popular than ever before.
Speaker 3: And also because.
Speaker 1: Now your algorithm knows that you like sports, so they're seeing how many sports they can get you into.
Speaker 2: Before even comics, comics are golfing now, like people are golfing that I would never have expected our golfing.
Speaker 3: There's golf podcasts with young comedians. Last year I went to when we went to Moontower, I did the golfing competition.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to golf. Yeah, so yeah, it's popping off. Golf is having a moment.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if it's a scheme thing where it's just in my world. But like, I just never felt like comics were out there golfing on their free time. Like I know someone that is selling their house right now, Like my sister knows them to move to a different house to be closer to the golf course. I know another family that's moving to a different town to be next to a better golf course. These are good, Yes, I like, and it's new to me. I understand moving for a school district I've never heard of. I'm not for golf courses and I.
Speaker 3: Just don't like it.
Speaker 2: And the Masters just came out and said they're including women would take away the magic and majestic nature of the tournament. So God, and the country club that was near my house obviously didn't allow Jews.
Speaker 1: But well, I think I've talked to you about this. How my dad drove me to a bird they party at the country club in my town when I was in fifth grade, and the whole way there told me about how they don't accept Jews and to not not bring it up that I'm Jewish. So I spent the entire party being like, Hi, like totally freaking out because I was like eleven, and I was like, are they going to find out and make me leave?
Speaker 3: Like it was?
Speaker 1: But you know, that's just my dad being stupid. But I wanted to point out if anybody is interested while we're a golf club.
Speaker 3: No, if anybody wants to come to a golf no.
Speaker 1: Revisionist history Malcolm Gladwell's podcast, which I think I've mentioned before, has an amazing episode that I believe is called a Good Walk Spoiled. It's from many seasons ago on his podcasts because I've kind of fallen off of it, But it's about golf courses and how they fucking take up all this beautiful land in cities. They pay no taxes because they figured out loopholes where country clubs can say that their members are their owners instead of them actually having an owner, and so they end up not having to pay any taxes because that would be like it's crazy. And in Canada, a lot of the golf courses, like in Toronto and stuff will be open to the public during the week and then for members only on the weekends and so, but we don't do that in the States. And like in l A specifically, it's like there's these massive like people are living on the streets and then there's these massive golf courses where no one's paying taxes. So it's fucked up. Listened to a good asses. These rich people I mean watching all want to get mad about golf. There's so much more to get mad about, like well seeing succession.
Speaker 2: I'm just like Wow, these rich people just know how not to pay taxes and it's over.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: It's truly incredible, the thirst for evil and power.
Speaker 3: But you know, from the beginning of time.
Speaker 1: As always, our intro is veering into a bright, happy, funny.
Speaker 2: Noes Caine killed Abel for what a horse or something like shit happens?
Speaker 3: Oh God?
Speaker 2: All right, Well I did talk about this on my story. I know Casey is mad. Do not shake your head. I think you're gonna laugh. I think you're gonna laugh. Okay, So yesterday I got in I'm leaving town again tomorrow, so I filled. I have a giant laundry backpack. It's filled to the brim. Then I took all the sheets and towels in a garbage bag. And then I had two dresses for dry cleaning. So I'm holding it all. I'm walking And then but before I left, I go, oh, I should put in the underwear I'm wearing now, Like, what's the point of having extra like dirty underwear? So I put that in the bag. So I'm walking down. I'm walking down. Something feels not right. My ass was fully out the whole walk. No, the backpack pulled my dress up I did not notice, and I like it took me probably half a block to be like, oh, my asses fully out.
Speaker 3: People were sitting on my stoop.
Speaker 2: They definitely saw my ass like I, but no one helped me. And I feel like that is not the community that I want to be a part of, Like, fucking.
Speaker 3: Tell me my ass is out.
Speaker 2: But also I had to stop wearing short dresses with no underwear like that is for some reason, I keep doing that, but the butt has never been out. I think it's because I'm not thinking. When I'm doing laundry. It's like, oh, yeah, kay, take the underwear off whatever, put something on. Yeah, and it's like you need a length, you need a little bit of length. Okay, Well Casey did not lappy put his camera off, So.
Speaker 3: Casey turned his camera off for the underwear story.
Speaker 1: I've definitely helped a girl before and said, girl, your dress is like caught into the back of your purse or like whatever, you know, like you gotta we got to help each other out here. People come on, Yeah, the world is ending, we need help. But let's pop into this episode because this is one people have been asking for forever.
Speaker 3: We've been dying to do it.
Speaker 1: And here we go, Okay, twenty five acts. We're getting into season fourteen, and this is episode three. So if you'll recall, this is coming right off of two episodes that we've covered with Paget Brewster and the whole culminamination of a really a three episode arc that started at the very end of season thirteen went into fourteen about Carissa Gibson, Bart, Gonzel, d'liah Wilson, the whole this huge NYPD scandal that's uncovered where all these prosecute all these like das and judges and high level like politicians and shit are all implicated in this prostitution ring and other bad acts. And not that prostitution is a bad act, but you know what I'm saying, like they all these guys are, all these men and women that are doing this are corrupt, and the NYPD's kind of just been broken open. And Craigan is still out because you know, they had to clear him from waking up in the bed with a dead sex worker and you know, so that takes a minute of bureaucracy, I think. So as Finn and Benson are strolling into the squad room, Benson's mentioning that there's been sixteen murders over fourth of July, and Finn's like, you cut back the stop and searches and people start carrying, and I'm like, not Finn being pro stop and frisk.
Speaker 3: I don't like that one bit.
Speaker 1: Not a great start to that episode of just Finn being like, Yep, you gotta frisk people randomly it works, because I think it's been proven that it does not. And Munch is like, it could also be the heat wave we've had twenty days in a row over ninety degrees.
Speaker 2: Wow, it would work if they stopped and frisk the whites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, because it seems like the whites.
Speaker 2: Are out there shooting at a lot of places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the whites are at the top of the mass shooter roster.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So maybe stop and frisk would work if they targeted a different demographic.
Speaker 3: Just the thought, just the thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I have read before that crime rates do rise in hot temperatures, that summer always has more crimes, like and I think that's been proven.
Speaker 3: I did a quick.
Speaker 1: Google and it does seem started by studies. Although I guess you could also say correlation doesn't equal causation. But I'm not going to spend any more time on this. If you want to research that, feel free hell, or you could just watch Do the Right Thing. Yeah, it's all about a hot summer.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's good. It's really good.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 2: Actually, So I just got into a movie game. Vulture has one. Now it's like every weekday the Grid. I told you about it.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 2: I found the site where they got the game from. It's called moviegrid dot Io. I'm fully addicted. I just hit archive over and over. I played NonStop, and it just hit me. John Tooturo's in that one and I should remember that.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, great, great, file that away, file it away.
Speaker 2: Because he was just in one of them. And I picked three other movies and so.
Speaker 3: Now I'm it. It is hard, but it's really fun.
Speaker 2: So if anyone loves the movie game and a grid moviegrid dot io, I'm not getting paid.
Speaker 1: I just was literally on spring break with my kids for you know, eight full days of face to FaceTime, and.
Speaker 3: Oh it's been so funny.
Speaker 2: Our friend posted like kids going back to school tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Holler if you celebrate like I can't wait? I like, why already?
Speaker 1: I just dropped them off an hour ago, and it was like them, I feel so free. But I've been playing so many games. I've been going to bed early, like in hotel rooms with them and shit. So like, I'm playing Wordle, I'm playing Connection, I'm playing the new thread is it called Threads that we play now? Playing Strands? Threads is is on Instagram. I'm playing Strands. I'm playing the mini Crossword, and then I go into spelling me even though they cut me off after five guesses. I'm going in there and I'm just doing five words, and then I I'm wilding out on the NYT games. I gotta get into the I do pay, I don't. I pay for my subscription. I think I should get games with that. I know, I pay twenty dollars a month for the New York Times. I can't get a game. Come on, guys, Yeah too much.
Speaker 2: But I do feel really disconnected from society because I'll do guess it like it shows you the percentage of people that also guess your guests and the amount of times that's at one point seven percent, zero point nine percent, two percent.
Speaker 3: I'm like, for Wordle, you mean no, for this movie? Grid Game. Oh, I'm like shocked.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I guess I'm the only one watching Friends with money? Like what, like I put Forces of Nature two point nine percent of people.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what's going on? I don't know, Like I just feeled Arlington Road four percent.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'll bet you what it is is like it's mostly men playing that game, and you have like a female perspective of movie watching.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know the amount of Dark Night and Avenger, I mean and Avengers ever just to Bradley Cooper's and The Guardian's if you don't know an answer, just throw in an end game Avengers.
Speaker 3: I bet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just like men think they kind of own the movie space. I feel, and that's why I think that maybe that game is that's where you're getting those percentages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just not that into you two percent. I'm like, what star studded a classic, A book that I read as well as a movie I consumed as well.
Speaker 2: Look one just came up, Murder by Numbers one point seven percent.
Speaker 3: Just watch that on a plane and I loved it. What would you guess? Ryan Gosling released from two thousand to twenty ten. I we why didn't think that of a No. No, I'm literally I'm stumped. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's a good guest murdered by numbers, gus like oh two weeks notice or no, that's not even him?
Speaker 3: What's what like, Gus? Oh the Notebook?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't even really watch The Notebook until like a year ago. He didn't really come into my consciousness. I feel like until like Drive and like that era, which was I think twenty ten's so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've also guessed Lars and the Real Girl. Well, well I did see that. That was a low percent too. What's find a movie where he's shooting people and he can fly? That's the one? It is?
Speaker 2: No, he put sixty five percent of people guessed the Notebook.
Speaker 3: Oh, got it right. He's a rom com man. I guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're in the squad, everyone's talking about crime whatever, and in walks Adam Baldwin, who is Captain Stephen Harris, And I don't like this guy in life or on the show. On the show, he is a poor man's vincent and offrio to me, and off the show. He was involved in gamer Gate, so he's a no thank you for me anyway, he is standing in for Daddy Craigan while he like wipes the whole stink of the Chrissa Gibson, Barganzel Deally a controversy off of him. Everyone's annoyed that he's there, Harris Craigan. They're like, Craigan was cleared a month ago, and he's like, yep, one Ppie solicita declare and fit for duty.
Speaker 2: It's so funny that you think he's a Danafrio type. To me, he's a Surproco type.
Speaker 1: That's so funny that you're bringing up Surproco because that there's literally a reference to that in five minutes in the episode Oh wow, like two.
Speaker 3: Minutes from now.
Speaker 1: And I googled Surproco to talk about it because I don't really know who Curproco is.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that movie. No, who's the guy, the blonde guy, ah who comes in?
Speaker 2: H Terry Curproco. Yes, he gives me that vibe. It's just like a brute of a guy who comes in. SVU doesn't understand victims once the boss benson around, acts like a dickhead, and then at the end goes, I guess I respect, I know, I hear what.
Speaker 3: You're saying, but that guy's a little bit more like he did, like Benson the Boss do what I say.
Speaker 1: Like, and this guy is more like just creepily even keeled. And that's I guess where the Jenofrio comes in for me, Like he's just kind of like I'm gonna switch things up, you know, he's just very like ugh, you know, and he's like you, I don't know. There's more evidence to why he sucks later in this episode too, But truly, this is so funny because, like I wrote, he informs the gang that he wants to move some pieces around the board. He shakes things up by putting Munch and Finn back together and putting Rollins and Benson together with a Marrow playing swingman and sometimes going solo. And then Munch calls him Surproco, but he's talking about Curproco. I don't really get this reference because Surproco, when I looked him up, was a real life NYPD guy who was a whistleblower and he tried to like, you know, uncover NYPD corruption. And then al Pacino played him in a movie in the seventies and that's like that movie got huge and that's why people know who Curproco.
Speaker 3: Is good to remember for my game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he ended up getting shot and they think that fellow officers like led him into He survived the shooting, sorry, but he They think fellow officers like led him into this shooting because he was about to, you know, testify and get all these people fucked up.
Speaker 3: But I guess Sirpoko was one of the good guys.
Speaker 1: And I don't really get why we're calling Amarro that is he some kind of whistleblower, Like I don't I didn't see the movie, so I really don't know the reference. But Nick's like all good with me, and Olivia is like kind of making a weird face, and Olivia follows him and is like, hey, just FYI, I didn't ask for that switch, and he goes, I know you didn't. I did ooh, and she looked surprised, and he's like, you know, the thing about you live, you need to have a partner you can trust.
Speaker 3: And then he walks away.
Speaker 1: And this is related to like her kind of questioning his integrity about whether he was really trying to hook up with Carissa Gibson, the sex worker who ended up dead in Craigan's bed and there was just some mistrust happening in the previous episodes. So now we're in Harris's office. He's watching some right wing Fox News type show where some berther bitch is popping off about Obama and Munch comes in to be like night boss and asks, oh, are you an Adam Kane guy? And that's the guy on the talk show? And he's like, no, it's white noise, but it's like, no, I bet you do like this. And now we move to the set of the talk show and it's called Raising Caine, which, lol is the chicken that Iced Tea does represent, So a fun crossover there. And Adam Kane is played by a guy named Roger Bart, who was also in an SVU episode called Closure Part one, which is I believe are the Tracy Pollen episodes where she's a survivor and then like they'd come back to her like six years later.
Speaker 3: I think it's one of those.
Speaker 2: Dude, I did not know Iced Tea is a Cain's guy because my nephews love Kanes and now I can relate to them a little more.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Remember there was a time where he was working the drive through. People were just pulling up and like they were like, holy shit, get iced tea is at the drive through.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that, but I'm looking at the picture sure of him doing it right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I think it's probably because I read all of our dms and we were getting DM.
Speaker 1: That a lot from people that were like, look at Icedy. So yeah, he is a chicken man. But this guy, Roger Bart, I thought you might be interested. He's one of these guys that you just know you've seen him in something, even if you don't know his name. And he is a Broadway baby, but he also has a shit ton of on screen credits. He wanted Tony for playing Snoopy and You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. He sings the song go the Distance from Hercules, which was nominated for an Oscar. And he was friends with Jonathan Larson, who wrote Rent and Roger from Rent is named after him, which I thought was a cool little piece of fun fact. I mean, it's also according to Wikipedia. I can't be sure, but I do think it's possible these two men were friends because they were both Broadway men for a long time. But this guy's like had recurring roles on Revenge on episodes which is one of my favorite shows. And he's been on tons of shit. So next up on his show, That's Happening. In the episode, he introduces an author who wrote a kinky little book called twenty five Acts, which is a woman's journey into the world of domination.
Speaker 2: I'm still floored. I cannot believe that man saying hercules.
Speaker 3: Can you believe it? I can't. I am distance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's not a face I attached to that song.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Wow crazy, he's Actually it's because he's a good actor, because I hate him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think he plays a lot of like kind of smarmy people, you know, like he plays a lot of kind of like I think in episodes he's like an agent.
Speaker 3: Or something like. I don't know. He He's not usually a likable dude, I get, but he was snoopy. But maybe he was wearing a snoopy. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've never seen I've only ever seen You're a good Man, Charlie Brown at the Boys Camp that is the brother camp of my camp. So I've only ever seen it with like a twelve year old playing snoopy. But this guy is introducing this author who wrote essentially a fifty Shades of Gray book. He even mentions fifty Shades of Gray, which I don't think a lot of people know. I think a lot of people do know, but I think don't know that Fifty Shades of Gray started as Twilight fan fiction.
Speaker 3: Did you know that? I did not. Yeah, like it was Twilight fan fiction.
Speaker 1: Were the main characters, and then she sort of developed it into this whole fifty Shades.
Speaker 3: I think it's a trilogy.
Speaker 1: I've never read a word of fifty Shades because I heard the writing was atrocious, and you know, I didn't feel the need. But the guy says, this book makes fifty Shades look like a Disney story. So they cut backstage and the author is Anna Chlumpsky, Anna Klumsky.
Speaker 2: Do you say Klumsky? I don't ever say it. I go, you know from V Yeah, my god, yeah that's what I said.
Speaker 1: Well, Anna Klumsky, who I wrote in my notes, made her way into my heart via My Girl and worked as a kid actor.
Speaker 3: That's a movie.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it. Oh my god, I know about the Beast, yes, but you have to watch My Girl. It's such a great movie. Dan Ackroyd, Jamie Lee Curtiz.
Speaker 3: It's so good. I love it so much. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I saw my Girl in the theater as like a child, and she worked actually for a long time as a kid actor.
Speaker 3: She's actually an uncle buck.
Speaker 1: I thought My Girl was her first thing, because you know what I remember about the poster of My Girl. Remember when they used to have posters that said and introducing I remember the mask posters all said and introducing Cameron Diaz, and these posters for My Girl used to all say and introducing Anna Klemski or whatever.
Speaker 3: So I remember thinking that was her first thing.
Speaker 1: But according to iem Tob she was an uncle buck, which is another amazing eighties classic. And she actually took a break for like six years from acting and went to University of Chicago.
Speaker 3: She's from Chicago.
Speaker 1: She went and got her degree, and she actually after she got her degree, she started getting other jobs, Like she got a job like fact checking for the Zagat Guide. I mean, this is again, this is quick Wikipedia looking up guys. I do more research for the crimes, but for random actors, I just check a couple sources. But like it says that she got an editorial assistant job for like a sci fi imprint or something, and then she.
Speaker 3: Was like, I think I'm gonna go back to acting.
Speaker 1: And then wildly comes back to acting and stars on probably one of the funniest on what I think is one of the funniest shows of the past of all time, Beep, and she is.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not just your opinion, it's scientific proven that there's more jokes per minute in that show than anything that's ever been read.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. It is the best show. And she's great in her role.
Speaker 1: Like I really, I think it took me a little minute to come around to like Amy as a character because she's supposed to be a little bit annoying, but she's so good in this part. And actually the year that Beep came out is the same year she did this episode. And I think also when she came back to acting, she came back to original recipe in two thousand and seven, so I think maybe she's like, I got a soft spot for the Law to Order universe, Like even though Veep's taking off, she's like, Oh, they want me to do an SBU, I'll do it. Look do I wish I could ask her this in person, Sure, but she did not want to do the podcast.
Speaker 2: So dude, it's a tough episode. I wouldn't want to know. I mean, yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: It's really really brutal. But she's very great. She's very good in it, I think. And she's done that Anna del v show. She's in shit all the time. She's now like fully well known and is a wonderful actor. So anyway, this guy goes, she's hot, rich, kinky, and I think I'm in love Joscelyn Paley and introduces her and she comes out. He goes, I don't know if I should kiss you or spank you, and she goes, why can't you do both? And it's like very yikes, and I just realized, Fuck, we are not even at the credits yet. Cut to Adam and Jocelyn now having a cozy ass like dinner and drinks after the show, flirting. She takes off her underwear under the table and then pushes them over to him and says, what's your fantasy?
Speaker 3: So boom.
Speaker 1: Now we're in what I thought was a hotel room with an amazing view, and they're having fun. They're making out, it's getting hot and heavy, and then he slaps her across the face and quotes her book where he goes act to I say when you can touch me, and she seems into it, okay, and then he tells her to.
Speaker 3: Get on the bed.
Speaker 1: Then he's like, get on all fours and then he takes off his belt and says you need to be punished and slaps her very hard with the belt, whips her with the belt, and she's like, okay, wait, I don't like this, and she tells him that it hurt and to stop, and before she can say anything else, he basically has her like yoked with the belt and is choking her and he's like, you don't get to tell me what to do. And thank god we're at the credits because this is very scary and violent. So now Tampa becked one. We are in the hospital. Benson and Rolins walk in are immediately greeted by Sarah Palermo, Jocelyn's book tour escort, who is the one who called nine one one. She's like, I found her at her hotel room. She was crying, she had blowne on her night gown, bruises marks on her neck. She says, nothing happened, but yesterday she was over the moon to be going on a date with this cane guy, and now today's she's not saying shit about him. So what does that sound like to you? So this woman basically should join the squad. She knows all the signs of something. Is a miss in the hospital room, Jocelyn's like, I wasn't raped.
Speaker 3: I told her not to call.
Speaker 1: She confirms that they went out to drinks and then they went back to Caine's place and they're like, you have a lot of bruises and like a horrible ligature mark on your neck, and she's like, yeah, he got handsy. And they're like, girl, that is from a belt. That's not like somebody giving you a ask tap during foreplay, Like this is from a belt. This is fucked, and she starts telling them, Okay, here's what happened. He choked me, so I couldn't really say no. Then he, you know, basically anally penetrated her and she was not used to that and did not enjoy that. And the music is intensifying, so it's like she's clearly describing a brutal assault.
Speaker 3: And she adds, but I was flirting with him all night. I told him I wanted to dominate me.
Speaker 1: I can't now call that an assault, And Benson suggests, why don't you get a rape kit? And Amanda's like goes straight for the scare tactic. Remember that this is early. Rollins still like this is only the beginning of her second season, and she's like, yeah, girl, don't forget you could have an STD want to get that rape kit? Like, so she immediately goes for like worst case scenarios, scaring the victim, and they sort of walk out. Benson's like, gentle reminder, girl, let's not scare the victims into getting rape kits. That's better to build trust, and Rollins is like, it doesn't matter anyway. I've read her book and an act five, the main character is choked with a belt and sodomized and has eighteen orgasms. And Benson's like yeah, right, and it's a best seller, so it's complicated. So now we're in the squad room. They're all sitting around watching the interview that Jocelyn did with Kane on his show the night before. I can't tell if Kin is supposed to be kind of like, it's not like a it is seems like it is a political talk show, but then he also has it's like a daily a conservative daily show, like maybe like o'reiley, I guess I don't really watch any of that shit, so I don't know. And on this clip from the show, they are flirting. They're talking in a very cringey way, like with a lot of smm double entendre that's like honestly lame. And then the gang is all talking about it. They're like, Jocelyn's not pressing charges. She's worried about how this comes off in light of her book, and Munch is impressed that she could work in nipple clamps and Albinoni's adagio in one sentence, and Munch has read the book to his blind mother, Lol, don't worry like he just was like, my mom, they had at my mom's nursing home and she can't see very well, so I read it to her and I'm like, you just read about sodomizing and domination to your mom. But very much, Harris is like, why are we wasting our time on this if she's not pressing charges, you know in this way very surproco very McGrath is who we're talking about. By the way, when we say curproco Benson has to explain to this adults that, like SVU, victims sometimes need time to come around, like the like pressing charges to even confessing what happened to them.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like a whole process.
Speaker 1: Rollin says, there are also rumors about this guy that he's handsying forward with women, and Finn and Munch randomly race to defend this guy.
Speaker 3: They're like, now we've seen him at benefits. He's one of the good guys. Like he's at the benefits for the police widow. Like they haven't works, I know, like it's not season fourteen guys, like they like police widows battered women. He never says no to you know, charity, but then they're like, you mean he never hears no.
Speaker 1: So then Harris plays traffic cop. He sends Munch and Finn to go talk to this guy before he lawyers up, since they apparently are his number one fans, and then he sends Benson and Rollins to see if Jocelyn has had time to process like in, which he kind of does in air quotes because he's looking for charges to get pressed. And then tomorrow, why don't you go follow up about the rumors with Caanan? His interns So now Harris is walking with Benson and they're talking and he's like, you're bringing Rollins up to speed, and Benson goes, she's been here for a year and she has a degree in forensic science.
Speaker 3: Did we know this? No, we did not know that Rollins had a degree in forensic science.
Speaker 2: Like this is no, she really gives off criminal justice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this is the only time that's been mentioned. Like this makes her random career change in the season twenty four make a little bit more sense that she's like a professor now, but it doesn't explain why she's also an IT expert. But you know, that's always what I feel like they've leaned in on more than her being a forensic science major, which, by the way, I took forensic chemistry in college because I thought it would be all true crime, and shit, it was hard as fuck.
Speaker 3: I think I got like a c It was hard. Anyway.
Speaker 1: This asshole is like, he's basically like, why don't you share your experience with her and not me? He didn't like how back in the school just now she tried to tell him, like what it's all about with sexual assault victims. So he's like, you can tell your little girlfriend, how things work at SVU. You don't have to tell me. So again, I don't like this guy, and thankfully this is his last episode spoiler alert, he's only in three. Munch and Finn show up to the set of Raising Kine and the guy's like, fellas, my buddies, you need more money for widows. What's happening and they're like, we need to talk about Jocelyn.
Speaker 3: He's playing dumb.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, it's a matter of something happened to Jos, Like he's being really, you know, mister nice guy, and they're trying to act like they've got his back. They're like, why don't you tell us your side, you know? And he's like, guys, you read her book. We acted out a few scenes. She wanted me to be in control, and he's like the belt was her idea and they're like, I thought you were in control and he's like everything was consensual. I don't want to kiss and tell, but she did give me her panties at the restaurant and they're like he's then suddenly he gets cagy and he's like, I don't have time for this, and neither do you, guys.
Speaker 3: I gotta go and then he just.
Speaker 1: Walks it walks off, and Munch is like, wow, no, charld charges f and I hate this case already. So now we are at Intimate Adventures, which is I guess an erotic bookstore where Jocelyn is doing another book signing and some lady is confessing to Jocelyn that this book gave her her orgasms back after her third kid, and Jocelyn's like, cool, cool, cool, next, and then Benson and Rollins roll up and she's like, I'm kind of busy, but then of course talks to them anyway, and they're like, girl, you had some pretty serious injuries. You should take it easy, and she's like, I have tiln ol and codyin so like I am right as rain. But she also is wearing a turtleneck to hide her egregious violent belt mark around her neck ligature mark. Excuse me, And Benson says it sounds like you're in shock, and she's like, I'm on a ten city book tour. Anthracite magazine is storing me a party tonight. I did have to google anthracite and it is black coal, So I don't know what kind of trendy magazine is naming itself like Coal Monthly, but that's a hot magazine and she's being honored. Rollins is back at her with the hard and is like, I gotta tell you, girl, if you do decide to press charges down the line, this behavior is going to turn the jury against you. I know it sucks, but it's true. And she's like, I'm a big girl. Look, everyone's waiting, i gotta go. So now we're at the Anthracite party. It is outside, it looks big, it looks like it's on a rooftop, and it's a hot party. There's a huge, like humongous cover of her up in the background, and everyone's making awkward double entendre jokes about you know, whipping and you know the shit she writes about. And she looks a little bit more. She looks a little less comfortable with it than she did when she was on the talk show the night before. She's wearing an awkward scarf now to hide the belt marks on her neck.
Speaker 3: And then who.
Speaker 1: Should strike up a toast at that moment, But Adam Kane he's just suddenly there and he thanks her for unleashing the inner venus within every American woman and every American man is deeply grateful, and Venus I think is like the main character of this book. She starts to freak out now because she's face to face with the sky. She wasn't expecting it. She runs off. She gets to the elevator to leave. Twenty five people get off this elevator and then she's the only one getting on it, and he follows her onto the elevator. They're alone in the elevator and he's like, you talk to the cops, and he calls her a bitch, shoves her against the wall, then turns her around and assaults her again, saying you wanted it last night and you want this too. And it's very fucked up and hard to watch. And I'm just you know, acknowledging that here. It's like a very these are graphic sort of scenes and she is frozen like in this moment.
Speaker 3: So now top of bac too.
Speaker 1: Thank god, we get like graced with a commercial break here, unless you're watching on Hulu, in which case you just keep rolling along. Jocelyn shows up at Benson's apartment because you know, her door's always open, and she's apologizing to Olivia, but she's like, I just I couldn't handle a police station right now, she tells Benson how Adam Kin showed up at her party, he wasn't on the list, he made a toast, and then she's like, he was so angry at me that I went to the cops.
Speaker 3: Did you guys tell him that I went to you?
Speaker 1: And Benson goes, well, we did send detectives to talk to him, and she's like, so shood.
Speaker 3: He's like, why would you do that?
Speaker 1: This is all your fault, and then Benson like calms her down, brings her over to the couch and Jocelyn tells Benson basically that he did it again, describes the whole scene that we just saw and says, I froze, I didn't say anything, and then he said.
Speaker 3: If you screw with me, you'll be sorry.
Speaker 1: After he was done with the second assault on her, and Lives like, are you ready to press charges now? And now we cut to Rollin's watching the elevator footage and I'm like, this guy had to have known there are cameras in elevators and that, like, you don't really have that much time to assault someone before another person gets in there.
Speaker 3: It just seems like.
Speaker 1: A very ballsy move, and then right as I type that, Rollins goes says the same thing.
Speaker 3: She goes, this is brazen.
Speaker 1: He had to have known the cameras in the elevators, so they But then Amarro goes, yeah, but he also probably knows that it's Act nine of the book is Elevator Sex, and Tomorrow admits that he read the masterpiece the night before. So Munch says, it doesn't look like she likes it, and Finn goes, but it doesn't look like she's resisting either, and it's like, again season four teen, Finn, what is happening with you today? You're like, stop and frisk? Why didn't you say no? And push him off? Like it's this guy loves widows. It's a kind of a wildfin episode. But you know, maybe the raising Kne's chicken of it all will wash it away. But Rollins goes, that's called tonic immobility, Finn, and like you should know that by this stage of the game, and Benson's explaining. She's like there's a third response to fight or flight, and that's freeze, and Fenn's like, good luck, sell him that to a jury, and Benson's like, well, I think we're ready to take this to the Ada. But which one they all lawyered up after Delia named every single one of them in her you know, explosive tell all situation. So this guy Harris finally gives us the only thing he's good for, which is introducing us to Raphael Barba. He goes, I know this guy, Barbara, and Rollins and Benson are like, oh, yeah, we know him from that case where he prosecuted two John's for assaulting a sex worker.
Speaker 3: That was a tough case, and.
Speaker 1: They're like, yeah, he's a Brooklyn DA but he's just requested a like a lateral move to Manhattan, and he's got big brass. And then he kind of makes eye contact with Benson and says ego instead of balls, and he thinks that this kind of high profile case is just the kind of thing that gets Barbara horney. So now we're in arraignment and Barba is like wiping the floor with some criminal and his lawyer. And then he saunters over to Harris to meet Benson and Rollins and goes, take your daughter's to work day, And I was like, that's hillious. The first thing that he says to Olivia Benson and Rollins is, oh, is it take your daughter to work day? Like Benson's the same age as the Captain Harris basically, so it's funny.
Speaker 2: Well, also with Barbara, the most popular like gift and photo of his face is from this episode Oh really yeah, where he's like look like determined but sneaky like he does like this.
Speaker 3: This is the episode.
Speaker 1: And there's also a scene coming up that's a very iconic, you know, Barba seeing that people have asked for us to cover.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, god.
Speaker 1: So Rollins and Benson shake hands with Barbara, and he's like being very charming. But our girls are skeptical, you know, they like never trust a man right away. So they're updating him on the details, and he's like is she credible? And they're like, well, she's concerned about the optics, but she was assaulted two times. And Barbera's like, I didn't ask if she was assaulted. I asked her she was credible, Like his signature like cutting straight to the point. Then he launches into a story from RedHook. He said, two months ago, there was a woman who was strangled so badly that she had particual hemorrhaging in her eyes, and the purp claimed that she was into SMM, which was a lie, but the jury deadlocked because half of them had read this damn book. So it's like the way Fifty Shades of Gray was like taking over the nation in like around this time, like twenty twelve, and everybody was fucking reading it. I mean, the entire book Club movie series is started with Fifty Shades of Gray. And Benson's like, okay, well, what's your point, Like I thought you were the dude that took on the hard cases and won them. And he's like, let me talk to Joscelyn. So now he's laying it all out for Joscelyn. He's like, I need to know everything about you because if you leave out one thing, that's the thing that his side will use to blow up our entire case.
Speaker 3: You might not like me when this is over.
Speaker 1: And she's like, I don't like you now, and he's like, love your honesty, bitch, let's talk. So he starts hitting her with questions about her personal life, going all the way back to college. I can't tell how old this girl's supposed to because the timeline gets very weird here. Now Barba's meeting with the boys, and it's munch fin and tomorrow and Tomorrow's like I did some digging, and it turns out that he prays on young girls who are new to the city, but Jocelyn would be the first round to press charges. Like no one has actually come forward, it's just kind of rumor millshit.
Speaker 3: And then uh oh, Rollins pops in to let them know that Kine has just leaked his monologue for that night's show and it's all over the internet, So he's basically preempting the media spirestorm that's going to come from him getting charged with rape. He's letting everyone know that he is a victim who's about to be thrown into the ring of fire.
Speaker 1: Of the millions of men who are accused of sexual assault and are perfectly innocent that we see every year, it's an epidemic. And that's heavy sarcasm, in case anyone's not picking up. We see Jocelyn watching this whole monologue on an iPad in a coffee shop.
Speaker 3: She looks stressed.
Speaker 1: Kate admits that he did have sex with Jocelyn on this monologue, but he does not, you know, admit to it being obviously an assault and the gang is like, pretty smart of him to get out in front of it, right out of Letterman's playbook, And Munch is like, yeah, but Letterman didn't rape anyone.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna get more on that later. Yeah. I was fucked up that he said her name.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well it's a full like it's a it's witnessed intimidation and like it's it's fuck ducked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And who led him into that party? I know?
Speaker 1: Well, he reminds me of like a Bill Maher kind of guy. And Bill Maher, you know, just dropped his agency because they didn't invite him to an Oscar party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm I mean, I guess I'd be pissed if I was a client for over thirty years and I probably make them a you know, some money. Yeah, but he is a smarmy guy, right, Yeah, maybe it's Bill Maher because he has this other story where on his rider he says he needs like a limo and he went to perform at a college and they didn't have a limo and he said, I'm not going and he didn't do the show. Jesus, he he goes it just shows respec like this is the thing I asked for so fucking do it, which I get because I showed up to my show and there were no diet coke cans, and that is what I asked.
Speaker 3: Diet cokes are your limo, and they're a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: I'd say, that's a little bit more of a reachable, attainable goal and if somebody won, but.
Speaker 3: I have that, but you know what that I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I recently just did a college and I arrived and I was like, you know, I'm here, where's the car? Like, where are you? And the students went, We're on our way. We'll be there in forty five minutes. And I said, I'm gonna grab an uber and she responded, no, don't do that. We're already on our way. And I said, I'm not waiting forty five minutes. You should have planned better. Was there a confusion with my flight time?
Speaker 3: H huh?
Speaker 2: And she went we were in class and I said, well, you can turn right back around. I am taking an uber. That is for I'm not waiting forty five minutes for you. It's like insanity. But then in my head I'm like, yeah, I guess that's twenty one. Indeed, I didn't mind. I didn't mind waiting forty five minutes for a free ride, I guess.
Speaker 3: But like they're probably like, she's gonna be so excited we're picking her up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. So Barba basically is like Cane forced our hand. We have to strike back. So Munch and Fins show up at a restaurant to bring him in, and Munch calls him Citizen Kane and he's like, come on, guys, I can come in tomorrow with my lawyer.
Speaker 3: We don't have to do this here.
Speaker 1: And they're like, if you want a privacy, you shouldn't have popped off on the internet, bitch, and they purp walk him out of the restaurant. Paparazzi bulbs all a flashing, and he starts blaming the NYPD for the quote unquote Hooker scandal and says the NYPD is just trying to distract from their big scandal. And he says, the court of public opinion, baby, that's my wheelhouse, and Thin goes taking down rapists, that's ours.
Speaker 3: Banging on a.
Speaker 1: Good one, A good one, A great way to end the midpoint of the show. So now top of Act three were in court and not only is this the episode that blesses us with the first appearance of Raphael Barba, it also is the first appearance of the legendary Rita Calhoun played by Elizabeth Marvel, who we've all seen in a million different things, and Homeland is one that I love her in. She in House of Cards, she's just in everything, and she is of course defending this asshole. She defends a lot of assholes, even though she is kind of an icon. And Barba asks for remand as this man has means to flee. He's very rich and he's Canadian, and Calhoun's like, well, he has stated publicly he wants to go to trial and fight these accusations. And Barba's like, yeah, that was a televised attack on the victim. And Calhoun argues that the state is trying to silence public outrage. And the judge is like, whatever, I'm granting remand I don't want to get involved with you too. Save it for trial. And the little shit guy at Caine, he looks shocked. He's like he never thought that. He's like, what am I paying this high power bitch for that? She's not getting me bail at least, but sorry, Barba's in town now, So Calhoun and Barba walk out of court together, fighting about free speech, and Barba's like, don't make me put a gag order on this whole thing, and Calhoun's like, well, I heard your witness likes those two. There's so much dorky double entendre about at BDSM in this episode. It's kind of I'm sure at the time it was very edgy, but it's very irolling.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: She's going to move to have the book admitted, he says, which will eliminate rape shield laws, which are the rape field laws are meant to limit victim's sexual history as evidence in sexual assault trials, but if the book gets admitted, then those won't apply, and Thenson says yeah, and they're going to find out whatever lover inspired this book, who's going to testify that she likes it from behind?
Speaker 3: And then game over.
Speaker 1: It really is so fucked up how you just have to be a perfect victim, Like you can be assaulted and then like somebody can just bring in an ex boyfriend that's like, yeah, one time we did a fucked up sex move and it's like, well you wanted it then, Like it's just really wild. How you have to be squeaky clean perfect to get any justice, it feels like, and Harris said, well, why don't we find this guy first? So Rollin says, well, Jocen went to Silver Spring College in Maryland. We can drive down there tomorrow morning, and Barbo goes try tonight. I'm like, also, is her boyfriend at the college? I don't understand. She looks thirty to me, so I don't really understand why we're going straight back to her college, Like that's where all the information is, Like, I don't the writing did not make that like clear.
Speaker 3: And it's like, why.
Speaker 1: Don't you just ask her who her ex boyfriend is before you hit the road for Soft Shell Crab down in Maryland.
Speaker 3: But they're on their way.
Speaker 1: So now Finn and Muncher and Maryland chatting with some dorky soccer coach who explains that he and Joson were together for four years.
Speaker 3: He thought they were going to get married.
Speaker 1: She broke up with him because she had so much going on with the book, but she never really told him what the book was about, and he only found out about the content of the book.
Speaker 3: From looking at his mother's copy of it. And he's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was kind of weird because everyone started asking me like personal questions about my sex life when the book came out, and like they were like, oh, yeah, they asked you about, you know, rough stuff and domming and he's like yeah, and the thing is, we didn't do any of that. He's like, we mixed it up. Sometimes I was on top, sometimes she was. And it's pretty funny. This guy did not mix it up. And he says Jocelyn told him that he was her first and that he knows she was his first. So again feels like this could have been a phone call to this man. I don't know why we had to go all the way down to Maryland, but there we are. Then they talked to another roommate and they're now on a college campus, So I'm like, so is her college roommate still there? It's super confusing and like yeah, so I was like, she looks thirty, so college has been done for eight years. I don't really get why they're back there anyway. No one knows anything about her BDSM life if she has one. Amaro thinks that she maybe is making this sexy shit up, like because she makes references to like Gilligan's Island and stuff like she doesn't really have modern cultural references in the book, and he thinks maybe she researched all this, and Thin's like, nah, she's got a double life. These kind of kings don't just from nowhere. Finn again batting zero. In this episode, Okay, now, Benson and Rawlins are talking to a redhead named Katie and she's like, yeah, so what Caine recommended me for a job?
Speaker 3: Like what's what of it?
Speaker 1: And they're like, it's just kind of weird that you went from being his intern to the producer of a food show in two months? And did you know that he was only allowed to have male interns after you left? And she's stonewalling, but like, you know, you can tell she knows exactly what they're getting at. And they're like, babe, remember how you had to come to work with a broken wrist and bruises on your neck. And she does have a very good fishtail braid going on in her hair, and I just want to point it out. You know, we care more about we care about other people's hair than just Benson's on this program. And she knows that they know what's up, so she kind of like sighs, and they're like, you know, keeping all the feelings about this locked up is only going to make it worse. And she's like, I admit I did go home with him and I wanted to fuck until he started to hurt me. And she insists I've moved on, and Benson's and Benson says, by keeping quiet, you're giving him power over you, and she's like, whatever, at least I didn't get a monologue about me on TV like what he did to Jocelyn. She's like, I don't need that shit. And she then says, you know, he's not a bad guy. It's just when he gets that belt in his hand, he loses it. And I'm like, so a bad guy, okay, got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, belt shit, Yeah, alter your moral yeah.
Speaker 1: Like honestly the sweetest guy until he gets a belt in his hand and then he's fucking doctor Juckyl. So is that the bad one or mister Hyde. I don't remember, actually do Maybe doctor Jeckell's the good one.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm sure you'll tell me. Back to the college where all the clues are.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow is now chatting up Jocelyn's advisor, A professor, and she doesn't know how Jocelyn could have gone into BDSM. She said, there's not really any older professors having affairs with younger kids these days, which seems like a weird thing to dig for granted, And then on his way out, basically she's no help. And so on his way out he notes her harpsichord and she's like, oh yeah, they say it was.
Speaker 3: Owned by Albanoni.
Speaker 1: And Amaro's like, yeah, yeah, what's his most stream song on Spotify? My wife loves it, and she goes his adagio, it's his most beautiful work. And get this, he didn't even write it. His biographer composed it two hundred years later. And Tomorrow's like, no kidding. And I can't tell if he's even picking up on clues or not, because he kind of has like a dumb guy face a lot of the time. But back at the squad room, they're gathered around the bulletin board and it looks like Jocelyn's sexual past is pretty squeaky clean. There's three interns of Canes, but none of them will testify, including Katie, and they're like, and he broke her wrists, so she won't testify.
Speaker 3: We're not getting any of them.
Speaker 1: It looks dark as hell in the squadroom, like I'm assuming it's night. But then they get a call from Tomorrow and he's like in Maryland in broad daylight, with like a college clock tower behind him. It's very jarring, and he goes, I think we might be asking the wrong questions. I need another day, and Barba's like, Nope, going to the grand jury now, and like hangs up. So at grand jury, Jocelyn explains everything that happened the night of her attack, and then we cut to Barbara on the steps of the courthouse talking to the press saying, you know, the grand jury indictment is the first step in getting justice. So they got the indictment, which is a good first step. Calhoun starts baiting him from she comes up behind him at the press conference and is repeating the claim that the DA is trying to distract from the big Delia Ganzell scandal where like a million judges and lawyers were all involved. Barba snaps back, I don't care if you're a John in the South Bronx or a three million dollar a year talk show host. No means no, and Calhoun's like compare it to the book, and the whole case falls apart like a house of cards. So Amorrow's still in college. He pops in to visit that harpsichord professor again and he says, you know, I spent the whole night reading your work and you're very prolific. And he finds some passage about an orgasm Saint Teresa something like that, and he compares it to a passage from Joscelyn's book, and he's like, this sounds the same, and she kind of has a look like, oh, I didn't really realize she was paying so much attention to my class. And then he's like, Lady's she's making a shits on a money, Like you have a case for plagiarism if she's taking your work, you know, And she's like, fuck no, I don't want to be associated with that smut. And Amara's like, also, I checked on your harpsichord. Someone bought it at Sutheby's for two hundred and eighty five thousand dollars. And she stops at her tracks because college professors are not dropping almost three hundred k at Sutheby's on harpsichords that belong to Albanoni. So now Barbara Benson and Rollins are talking to Jocelyn, like, girl, give it up. Who got you into all this kinky shit? Your ex is a nerd? And she's like, it wasn't him. It was a guy I met on my semester abroad. His name was George George Glass. Like it's very It's like, sure, jan vibes are everywhere, and Jocelyn does not have a good cover story and it's like, wouldn't you make something up before you went on a ten city book tour, like make up a boyfriend or like something, and be like, oh, yeah, the first I first got into this kind of shit at this time, and I used to go to this sex club or whatever, like just have some details prepared. You are a writer if you're trying to pull off some kind of con And they ask her all these questions and she's like, what is this twenty questions and Benson goes, Nope, just one who wrote the book. I remember when I watched this episode the first time. This was a twist for me. I was like, fuck, she didn't write it. And then Jocelyn looks immediately like fuck, I've got God. And now she's like, how did you find out? And Barba's like I told you on the first day that the one thing you hide is what is going to destroy this case? What were you thinking? And lives like back off, Barbara, and she's like, please don't tell anyone. It's going to ruin my career, my life. Please please please, She's begging. So now at the top of the final act, she's explaining that it was horny Professor Dobson's idea to put her name on the book.
Speaker 3: She's like, she's an academic.
Speaker 2: She just sucks, like her life is fully falling apart on top of two rapes, and it's like, why don't you go to the cops. It's like, I guess we should just show this episode to everyone that says it.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, because they did dig and they found out stuff, and no one is perfect. So none of this really like matters in terms of getting assaulted, But you know.
Speaker 2: I think it does help Barbara to examine though. Oh yeah, I feel like this really helps him on the stand bring down this motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he figures out a way around it. Because it's a TV show.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I feel like in real life it would have been like okay, taste, like no one's gonna believe you, but he's a wonder. He's a you know, a magic lawyer.
Speaker 2: I also hate that they put all lies in one category, yeah, where it's like, well, you actually didn't graduate school, so you're a liar all the time, you know, Like right, people lie, everyone lies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one time you lied about your age to get into a bar, so clearly you're lying about your assault, like it's wild. We find out Professor Jobson is an academic, was worried about her reputation. Basically what she told Tomorrow, I don't want to be associated with that, you know, smut, And Jocelyn admits I own ninety thousand dollars in college debt. The year before this book came out, I made twenty six hundred dollars writing like it is a tough fucking business. She says, the professor gives her ten percent. I'd expect more. She's out there on the book tour, but if it's making millions, then she's making a good a pretty penny. But she said it's also helped her make connections. You know, it was worth it for her to just do this, and then you know, maybe her real writing will get some attention. And she's like, if I ever say that I didn't write the book, I lose all the money and I want to drop the charges. I just cannot get out. And Barbara's like, it's gonna come out when I indict you for lying to a grand jury, and if you don't testify, you're looking at perjury. And Jocelyn freaks out and runs out of the office and Rollins is like, couldn't this help us, Like you were worried about the book damaging her, but she didn't write the book, so and Barba's like, no, the jury's just going to see her as a liar. So back in court, Jocelyn is admitting to not having written the book, and she's explaining that she agreed to say she wrote the book because of college debt. Her parents are working class, she needed the money. She admits she's not into domination and that she was just playing a role, and which, by the way.
Speaker 3: I know plenty of fucking people who do that. I know plenty of comedians.
Speaker 1: Who talk about sex constantly and make it their brand when I know for a fact they are prude as hell and not super sexual. People do it all the time people come up with, you know, characters and brands for themselves. So she says that she was into having sex with Caine that night and that it was fun until he started hurting her, which is like literally the same exact words that girl Katie said. And then she testifies to how the attack transpired. We've seen all this, and how the next night he did it again in the elevator, and Barba asks her to explain the consequences you have you face for testifying, and she's like, well, I have to return all the royalties. My reputation is ruined, and I've just wanted to be a writer my whole life. And that's like the thing that I do think if I was on a jury, I would be like, yeah, what does she have to gain from coming forward? Like she was making millions of like hundreds of thousands of dollars keeping this secret, if she was making up a rape charge, what would be to gain? It really does, and like people are always like, she's doing this for Clout, and it's like even when there's you know, campus rapes against athletes or anything like.
Speaker 3: That, it's like, nobody is doing this for Clout.
Speaker 2: It's insanity well, the easy way to prove that is to be like, Okay, tell me the victims' names. Tell me who accused Bill Cosby? Right, tell me they did it for attention and fame? So tell me yeah, yeah, yeah, so true, so true. Tell me who all these women are that have come forward? Who is the person that accused Kobe Bryant?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And where's their their MTV cribs? Where's the where they used all the money and fame that they got. I want to see their gorgeous house that they live in and their successful lives, a free of trauma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just it's like you can't think of one person crazy.
Speaker 3: You're right, that's so true. Say the name. So uh oh, it's Rita's turn. This is not going to be pretty.
Speaker 1: She's pointing out how many times Jocelyn is lied about writing this book, like you've been lying for months, You've been going on book tours, interviews every single time.
Speaker 3: You're lying about right now this book.
Speaker 1: And then she plays the clip from the interview on Raising Kine where Jocelyn says, you know, women do it all these days, and sometimes they just want men to throw them down and take control. So you know the fact that that is said on an interview the night of the assault.
Speaker 3: Is you know, damning. I guess to a jury.
Speaker 1: She goes at Jocelyn pretty hard about lying about sex for money, But the argument is pretty empty, like I said, when you consider she could have stayed quiet and kept making tons of money, but she spoke out and lost everything. Anyway, when Calhoun is done, it does not look good for Jocelyn. Now we've got Professor Dobson on the stand and she admits to writing the book, And I'm like, what's funny is that fifty Shades is honestly supposed.
Speaker 3: To be super bad writing.
Speaker 1: Like everyone I've heard is said, it's absolutely horrible writing. And it's funny that it's like this very erudite, like educated academic is like putting in references to Albaloni and stuff like.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's how fifty Shades really looks.
Speaker 1: But I wonder how a good writer would write a series of erotic fiction. If you have any recommendations for a series of erotic fiction that is actually well written, let me know.
Speaker 3: My friend Jackie.
Speaker 1: Does a stream called Akatar where they talk about I think it's called a cord of thorns and roses.
Speaker 3: I might be getting the C word wrong, but it's smut.
Speaker 1: It's like erotic stuff, and they love talking about it and they get a ton of people are into it.
Speaker 3: It's a huge thing.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if they would say She always tells me the world building is amazing, but I don't know if she would say that the writing is awesome. So if you have any RECs, please message me. I'd love to read some horny literature that's actually good.
Speaker 2: I know when we were fresh to America, my mom read Danielle Steele. Yeah, yeah, daniel Steel is huge. The font of her name on those books iconic.
Speaker 1: I can see it in my mind right now, right as you said that, I was like Danielle and I used to like have bookstores, Like I feel like my dad would always take me to bookstores and just look for an hour, and I would usually just read Sweet Valley High books, but sometimes I'd go over to the and like just look at the like horny covers and be like, what's this? You know, but it always felt like it was really forbidden. But anyway, the professor admits to being a very horny woman and that all the fantasies in the book are hers, and she knew that talk show hosts would not want to talk about BDS. I'm with a middle aged college professor with a John and Kate plus eight haircut, so she it was her idea to ask Jocelyn to pose as the writer, and Jocelyn was shocked when she read the draft, So she knew that Jocelyn wasn't into this kind of shit, and she thought that the juxtaposition of Jocelyn's like wide eyed innocence and these raunchy fantasies would be compelling to people.
Speaker 3: And she's quite a good actor. She's on these shows meaning Jocelyn, not even meaning Anna Klemsky, like, she's on these shows being like I don't know, time me up, timey down, like you know, all this like double entendre. And she's really not into any of that shit at all. So she's doing a good job.
Speaker 1: And she's the woman says, well, I'm a laughing stock in my field now, and it's like, whatever, bitch, laugh all the way to the bank. Like you don't have to ever teach a class to board college students ever again.
Speaker 3: You can literally live out your.
Speaker 1: Fantasies you can buy a piece of Albanoni's ashes if you want. You have so much money from writing these books. But she says she's testifying because she's sickened by this guy using her words as a smokescreen for assault. And now it's Calhoun's turn and she goes, but everyone thought that Jocelyn was the writer, right, and that these were Jocelyn's fantasies. And she's like yeah, and she's like, so maybe you just chose her because she's a great liar, and like, you know, so, now Rita is questioning Kine on the stand and he's saying, I don't need to rape. I do fine with volunteers. And it's like we've talked about this million times on our podcast. That's like not really the issue, Like when someone's a rapist, it's not like, oh I'm so ugly, I can't get it unless I force people.
Speaker 3: Like it's it's completely about.
Speaker 1: Power and like liking that someone is scared and that you're controlling someone and like hurting them, you know, Like we always talk about Louis c k like he wanted to just jerk off in front of women. He could have hired sex workers instead. He wanted to make these other female comedians feel weird and awkward, like that was part of it for him.
Speaker 2: So yeah, all of the like defense stuff and all the excuses, they're just so retro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they're so old timing. They've been debuned, they're done. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because you have fantasies and dress like doesn't mean you want to be rape Like. I just the mental gymnastics these fucking rape apologists to do.
Speaker 3: It's insane. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he's saying, yeah, I get ladies because I have a hit show, but I'm also kind of okay to hang out with. I'm told he's really smarmy and shitty and he's doing a great job this actor. Because I do hate him and want to kill him. He always follows his partner's lead. He says, if they want dominance, he does that.
Speaker 3: He says Jocelyn wanted a mutually satisfactory rough sex game that she initiated, and then Barbara goes to cross examine, but it's late, so the judge is like, cool, at Barba, you'll talk tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Barba's like begging for it. He's like, can I just do thirty minutes? Can I just run at this guy for thirty minutes and then pick up in the and she's like, I have to go. So in Barbara's office, he thinks that the professor's testimony kind of canceled out Jocelyn's.
Speaker 3: He's calling it a draw.
Speaker 1: So they're sort of not in a good place or a bad place, but it's not, you know, looking great for a win. So now it's Benson, Rolins, Munch, and Fin and the latter two do not have any good news. They're like, we can't find any of the other victims, so we can't introduce any prior bad acts.
Speaker 3: And Barba's like, well, maybe we can get him to open the door. So back in court, Barba's questioning Kane. He finally gets his moment and he asks, this is like, so, this is the scene I'm talking about. This is like probably why Raoula Sparza stayed on the show for so long and why people immediately loved Barbara, because this is one of the most wild courtroom scenes we've ever seen, and it's his first fucking episode.
Speaker 2: I truly forgot about Like when I saw this, I was shocks because I knew, you know, he always tapped dances and does something great.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean this is up there with the girl taking off her shirt or Gray like getting that guy to stand up with a bone, you know, and saying that's not an objection you're raising you know, So this is to me a top ten court moment. He asks Kane what excites you about having sex with Jocelyn? And the guy's like, what excites anybody about having sex? And then you know, Barba's like, was it the belt? And then the guy's face changes and he goes, oh, so the belt was her idea? Like that's what Cain is claiming, even though she was pretending she doesn't even really like this stuff?
Speaker 3: Why would she?
Speaker 1: And he goes, she wanted to role play, and Barba's being super tricky. He's kind of talking to this guy like, oh my god, I like don't know anything about kinky stuff.
Speaker 3: Could you like tell me about it?
Speaker 1: Like that's kind of his vibe of how he's getting this guy to like He's like, I'm just like a regular meat and potatoes missionary guy. Can you tell me how you know you get into kinky stuff?
Speaker 3: Like how do you start that?
Speaker 1: Do you just take your belt off and then just give her a few hits with it, and then he prods so hard. He goes so like where does the buckle go? And the guy's like, what do you want me to like show you? And Barba's like kind of and Calhoun objects and Barba's like, come on, I'm curious, and the judge allows it, which.
Speaker 3: Is the funny.
Speaker 1: Jared was sitting next to me when I was watching this reading and he.
Speaker 3: Goes, are you kidding me right now? Like what judge is gonna do this?
Speaker 1: So Barbara takes off his own belt, puts it around his neck, and he's like, show me how she likes it, and he keeps saying like he's trying to get this guy horny in court about the belt, and he just keeps goading him, like come on, pull on it, show me how you like it, Show me how you like How hard do you like to pull it? Da da da da, And then suddenly Kane snaps right. He goes into his special belt personality that he has and he's like like this and he pulls it so hard that he chokes Barba out, and uh oh, the jury's faces they did not like that. So then Barba points out he goes, I'm okay, I'm okay, not a mark on me, even though he is like wearing a shirt, so it's a little bit different, but he has he says, I don't have any marks on me. And then he shows the jury the photo of Jocelyn's neck from the hospital where the mark is so red and violent, and he's and it's like, so imagine what he did to her if what he just did to me didn't even leave a mark. So he goes, is this what excites you about sex hurting your victims? And he's like, she liked it like that, and he goes, you mean Jocelyn, And Barbara goes, you liked it like that? She didn't, and you know they do. Cut to Anna Klumsky and she is wiping tears away and it's you know, emotional, probably for her. So we cut to Benson going into Harris's office and it's been three days on this trial and the jury is still out. So then Benson goes, SPU is the only unit where the victim's word isn't good enough. You have to prove that a crime was committed. And Harris is packing up his desk and he gives her the good news that Kraigan's coming back, I'm out of here, and he asks you ever think about moving up the ranks and she says, I wouldn't want to supervise anyone like me, And you know what the truth is, she doesn't. Really nobody since she's become captain is as good as she is, except maybe Rollin's. But like nobody, there's no there's no Stabler or Benson that has emerged in the new class. I'll say that I do love Kevin Kane's character and I want him to be made a full time cast member. He's like, uh, this guy goes, I got the hookups at one PP if you ever need a rabbi, and I think we've mentioned that before, but that is NYPD specific slang for a mentor, and she's like, I got Craigan and then he goes, you know it's gonna be different, right, And I was like, what, I don't I don't know, is it really different when Craigan comes back?
Speaker 3: Anyway, Right at that moment.
Speaker 2: She sorry, I know I'm behind, but it is also just so rich that the whole time it's like, you're a liar, You're a liar, You're a liar.
Speaker 3: And how easily it was proven.
Speaker 2: Nah, bitch, you're the liar, you know what I mean to the guy, like it was.
Speaker 3: Just such sweet justice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you thought you were gonna fucking get away with it. You thought you were gonna fucking get away with it. Yeah, acting like she was the pro as you fucking did that, fin.
Speaker 1: No, and a guy like this, there's no fucking way that it's just Jocelyn and these three interns, Like, there's no way, Like, but people don't come forward for powerful guys like this because they know he's gonna go on TV and do a fucking monologue and ruin their lives.
Speaker 2: Cause even the elevator that's bold, like everyone's you know, it's like at.
Speaker 3: A party, it's public, the doors can open at any moment.
Speaker 1: It is wild too that it's like, did they show that video to the jury? Like I'm sure they did, But it's like that, whether you agree to the night before or not, he clearly like shoves her in the elevator, and I don't know, but like Finn said, I guess she wasn't actively resisting. So maybe the jury needs to be handheld through exactly how victims react. But Benson's little convo with this sky Harris ends because she gets a text that the jury's in, and that's the last time we see this Harris Man. The jury finds Adam Kane guilty of raping the first degree, and Barba SloMo turns and nods to Olivia and Olivia super Tan.
Speaker 3: I know they were talking about four the July. It must be summer.
Speaker 1: She is tanned, baby, and out on the court steps they're all chatting, and Barba's like, yeah, the jury just finally saw that sicko for who he really was.
Speaker 3: And Jocelin's like, like, what do I even do now?
Speaker 1: My rep is in the toilet, and Barbo goes, if there's one thing about America they love a comeback, and then Live gives her sort of like a sad look and like that's dick wolf baby.
Speaker 3: Well for men, they love it. For men, they love it.
Speaker 2: But we are being positive to Lindsay Lohan right now, But it's usually like the Robert Downey juniors.
Speaker 3: You know, like why own a rider?
Speaker 2: She stole from a couple stores and took years for her reputation. Yeah, Robert Downey Junior, I mean Rob low I think.
Speaker 3: Made a sex tape with a mind underage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and we're like, god, yeah, I want to do Atkins because of him.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like it is why.
Speaker 1: I Josh Roland allegedly like assaulted Diane Lane and he's in fucking dune and hosting U S and L I mean truly, yes, we love a come back for men, but also for men's back. Kathy Griffin's back, she's torn after seven I fucked up. I'm just adding to the list of positive women who have come back after year.
Speaker 2: Lindsay Lohan took over a decade, I know, you know what I mean. It's it is kind of wild how long it takes for women and the men.
Speaker 3: Maybe it takes a bit. But like Robert Downey Jr. I don't know how.
Speaker 2: He's likable at all. Is he actually worth it? Like, well, what has he done? He was just a drug addict, you know, good for him. I'm glad he's sober, but I hate his attitude. Oh really, Like this has nothing to do with drug use, you know, sobriety's hard addictions.
Speaker 3: Hard drugs are fun. He's just smart. I hate him.
Speaker 2: He takes himself too seriously, Like anytime there's a joke or anything in an award.
Speaker 3: He's just so uppity. He's uppity. I don't like interesting. I met him one let me.
Speaker 2: Know if you guys are Robert Downey Junior heads. I from a distance really don't like him. I think he is iron Man without the fun suit.
Speaker 3: Like I don't think that's think anybody has to love RDJ. But I'm curious that the people who do.
Speaker 2: I'd like to know if I'm wrong that he's like a smarmy asshole.
Speaker 1: When I met that, he was nice when I met him, and he and his wife, he's very obsessed with his wife, so like I love that him and his wife are like a duo, like she's never not with him, Like they're very tight.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, she's the one who got him sober, you know what I mean. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, she put in a lot of work.
Speaker 1: And I thought you would like that he thanked his stylist at the Oscars.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever has done that. And he thanked his stylist, Erica Cloud.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's great. I think people have done that, but it is great that he's done that. Yeah, I think it was like no one had done it at the Oscars.
Speaker 1: Or something like that. Like as I read something about it that was like it was unprecedented for a stylist to be called out whatever, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people love that once iow got that attention from the assistance. I remember when Schumer won her Emmy, she brought up hair and makeup. So now everyone's like, hmm, what lower level in pat can I think? So everyone thinks I'm really relatable and down to earth and I treat people NICs.
Speaker 3: Can I just give a shout out to Crafty please? Craft Services get up here. They've got like rice Chrispy treats. They're throwing them out to the audience.
Speaker 2: And thank you to my nanny. I could not have been here without your support. And hell, you know, all right.
Speaker 3: Well we're going to take a quick break and we'll be back with crime not even.
Speaker 2: A crime, not a crime. It's kind of nice. Well a crime. It is a crime, So this is a nice day for us. I'll be honest. You know, it's very rare that the episode is worse than the real crime. Yes, no one is trapped in a basement, no one's buried under concrete, no one's in a you know, a human trafficking ring. Trying to escape and it is just a little extortion.
Speaker 3: It's nice. It's really been nice.
Speaker 2: Also, Kara did mention fifty Shades of Gray, and that came out June twentieth, twenty eleven, and this episode came out October tenth, twenty twelve. Yeah, so just like the timing. But that book, you know, it was on the charts, I think for weeks. It was crazy. Everyone was talking about it and our society is so not into books. When I googled, like release date fifty Shades of Gray, it showed the movie immediately. I had to write book and to me, that's why this is the original but the but whatever.
Speaker 1: It just also I think says a lot about like like how sort of puritanical we are and repressed as a society that like this book about like I don't know, he ties her up and stuff. Everybody's like, ooh, I read it in the bath when my kids are in bed, like and all that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It was like so like, but I want everyone to be in touch with their sexuality, of course, but I just wish we were in general, and it wasn't like this sort of like shittily written fan had to bring everybody out of their sexual shells.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know it was a nice way for the elders to get involved.
Speaker 1: And hey, it brought me Book Club, which you know is one of my favorite movies and franchises, so I'm happy for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so this and they mentioned his name in the episode, is about David Letterman and this guy, Joe Halderman.
Speaker 3: And this story has everything.
Speaker 2: There's jealousy, extortion, cheating on air, apologies, pretty fun. Vanity Fair called it an explosive triangle Burkett's ambition, Halderman's bitterness, and Letterman's self loathing. So thank you for that drama, Vanity Fair and Burkett. It's Stephanie Burkett. We'll get into that. So, David Letterman, if you don't know, look it up. I mean, what are we talking about here? A legend? Yeah, I was a Leno girl famously, and I apologize, but.
Speaker 3: I never really was into anybody late night. But I used to read those top ten list books and crack my little eleven year old ass up, Like I thought the Top ten was the funniest thing ever. And if I would be at somebody's house that had them, I'd just be like I'm not talking to anyone, and I would just be like reading those I.
Speaker 2: Loved them, and he has beloved I was he won the rating, like he was the top dog in terms of ratings, and I think like respect and some people love Letterman.
Speaker 1: I think also what I love about Letterman is like he did kind of tease people a little bit. It's like now you know, now there's like a thing where people talk about like prom king comedy with a lot of.
Speaker 3: The talk show hosts. They're just like, I can't believe I'm meeting you.
Speaker 1: This is so cool, You're so awesome, and like it used to be Letterman being like what's this all about? You know, like being a little bit more Carson, like I think in the teasing and having like a rapport with the famous people like didn't Lady Gaga and Letterman like famously like really hit it off and like love to like rip each other and stuff.
Speaker 3: Maybe I have no idea, No, it could. It could very well be.
Speaker 2: He had a lot like whaty Harrelson, We'll talk about later, Like he's been on it.
Speaker 3: I think it's twenty like hundreds of times or something.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Like he has guests that come on dozens of times.
Speaker 3: He really does. Can you are you googling most frequent guests? Oh no, I was googling Gaga Letterman. Oh I'm curious who the guests.
Speaker 1: Regis Philbin It says one hundred and fifty total appearances.
Speaker 3: Oh, he loves Julia Roberts.
Speaker 2: That's that's one that he loves, Robin Williams, Tom Hank Yeah, people, Oh, Amy Darris, who doesn't love her?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Oh Howard Stern but like Cher called him an asshole, and just famous moments. You know, the titties, Drew Barrymore's titty is on the desk, you know Madonna, there's just he Yeah, he had something. I was unfortunately on the NBC side. But he has loved and you've been living under concrete if you do not. I have never heard of David Letterman. Or maybe you're young, maybe you like Conan. Okay, so what does he do now?
Speaker 1: He has like Netflix shit where he interviews people, right, and he's got a big ass beard.
Speaker 3: Oh and I'm sorry to bury the lead. David Letterman lives in my town.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So I passed his house all the time and we would see him driving. He did not have a good reputation in our town. Though he would turn off his lights on Halloween, no trigger treaders. He would like drive his car kind of like fast through town, like not really talk to people, Like he didn't really have a great rep in New Canaan.
Speaker 2: Well, after doing some research on this, and I'm not diving into it at all, but he's had a lot of crazy stalkers.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I guess that makes makes sense.
Speaker 2: A lot of stalkers showing like camping out on his tennis courts, like he lives on well, now he's I think in Westchester or something because on a golf like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he may have moved. He may have moved. He he had a house where I when I grew up.
Speaker 2: He was also had a house in Saint Barts. I mean, this motherfucker's rich. Like I didn't realize how rich he was. He has like five or six houses a Tribeca loft. But he did have a lot of obsessed, weird fans, and I actually think we forget about that with all celebrities, Like the amount of stalkers and obsessed people that probably try to get to them that we don't know about is astronomical.
Speaker 3: As my guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lady that tried to break into his house to New Canaan, and they booked her on my family friend's lawn because they like wanted to get her off the property. My family friend that I used to babysit for it live right across the street.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his house wasn't very attractive either, but I think it was like I think he probably liked how it was like not a ton of windows. It was like it was it looked like the back of the house was the front of the house, do you know what I mean. So I think he kind of probably what you're saying makes sense. He did have like a lot of famous stalkers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of what I was reading about him is like, like I mentioned this self loathing, like he had low self esteem and hated himself and stuff like that. Like I guess he was some kind of weirdo. But you know, he has a lot of homes and is still working to this day. Okay, Joe Helderman, this guy, you know, he's not some gremlin stalker that I'm talking about from the depths of the swamp coming up. Actually a respected guy at CBS he was a producer in forty eight hours. He won eight Emmys, you know, and the one of our said he had a lot of baggage and they put these together, which was really funny. Spent a lot of time working in war zone and two divorces which meant huge alimony payments. And I just loved that thought was put together.
Speaker 3: That's his baggage, war zones and alimony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he had covered conflicts in eighty six countries. He worked with Dan Rather a bunch, and he was he was really known to be the guy like he was there for the Saddam Hussein interview and stuff like, you know, really good. But April nineteenth, nineteen ninety six, he had hit his limit doing like all these wild news things and went to forty eight hours. So I apologize, I said, at forty eight hours ahead of time. So he was doing hard hitting news Dan Rather, war zones, running around and one time he got really scared and he goes, once you're scared, you gotta get out. Yeah, And so he got out and got like a more consistent job at forty eight hours at CBS. And basically what he did was he tried to get Letterman to pay him millions of dollars in exchange for not writing about the late night host's sexual affairs. I don't know, we'll see. So the affair was with the late show staffer, so Stephanie Brickett. She was David Letterman's assistant and also appeared on the show as a ton of characters and as his assistant. And people loved their dynamic. They fucking loved it. And I guess the whole thing that he was smitten by was she gave it back to him like she didn't give a shit.
Speaker 3: She was mean to him.
Speaker 2: And she started as a writer's room intern, and then after graduating college, she got a low level CBS job, splitting her duties between the Late Show and forty eight hours Hello, And at forty eight hours she had met Joe, who was seventeen years older than her and a producer, and in that stint they did start dating. So she is dating and now living with this man, but hated working at forty eight hours. She missed the late show, so in two thousand and four she got this assistant job to be with him. So she was an intern throughout college and then after college was an assistant and she ended up appearing in over two hundred and fifty episodes, and she was in law school during the same time, and her tuition for law school was paid by a loan from the Letterman's company. Her and Joe were dating and living together, like I said, but Letterman definitely had a lot of chemistry with her on television, and she is quoted saying Dave is truly the greatest boss I could ever have.
Speaker 3: And that was in Vanity Fair.
Speaker 2: So Joe's point of view, and this is told to a friend of his and a colleague named Bob Arnott Arno.
Speaker 3: I don't know, do you know who this is?
Speaker 1: No, but I think it would be Arno, probably Arno, really, that's wild French maybe.
Speaker 2: And then sometimes they say he's a doctor, sometimes not. I'm not putting it in front of his name. You need to prove it to me. I don't know who you are. But this motherfucker was out there chatting. He is like such a gossip. So this is a Joe told his friend, and his friend went on Good Morning America, you know what I mean, and Vanity Fair and told it. So we have to take this point of view with a grain of salt because it's from this guy. But basically what Bob said was he found a diary of his girl friend at the end of two thousand and eight, and it indicated that Stephanie was very much still going out with Letterman in a serious way, and it just made him mad because he had knew before she said she would stop whatever. According to Bob, Stephanie would have a lot of late night trysts with him in the office in the Tribeca loft that I mentioned. They would go to trips with other staff members, like to the Indy five hundred, his ranch in Montana, his home in Saint Bart's, so many houses, and the kicker is sometimes Dave's wife was.
Speaker 3: On these trips as well. Ooh fuck. So they would go on these trips. She was just all around town.
Speaker 2: So he did confront her after reading the diary and was like, why are you And so she promised to end the fair and convinced him not to break up with her. Then August two thousand nine, this guy Joe sees the two of them embrace and he didn't like it and it just pissed him off. So basically, like Dave gave a ride home to Brittany and in a Tesla and this is oh nine, so this is like Tesla's were different. What Yeah, it was an electric Tesla one hundred thousand dollars plus car. And he drove to Norwalk, Connecticut, to his house, to Joe's house to drop off Stephanie. And it's like, your boss is driving you all the way to Connecticut because at this time he was living in Westchester, it said, but maybe not, maybe he was still in Connecticut where you were from. But whatever, So he dropped her off. Joe sees this, he's enraged and that's the hearsay.
Speaker 3: So that's like what got him pissed.
Speaker 2: So then September ninth, two thousand and nine, he goes and gives David Letterman's driver a sealed envelope that's waiting outside of Letterman's Manhattan home and he said, give this to Letterman and it's marked privileged and confidential, which is funny because why would you write that so big on a thing, Like if it's a secret, it should say like bills on it, you know what I mean. Like it's so funny, but also who is this driver that would give it to I'd be like, get the fuck out of here. Like, where is security? Like this is why he was unfriendly, I think. And in this envelope there were demands for meetings and extortion details and basically evidence as well of him having this affair with Stephanie and this guy Joe says, I am going to write a screenplay and a book about you, and I have evidence, and in the envelope all this evidence from the affair. So he gets, you know, a little nervous. So they start having meetings with the lawyers to work out the extortion details. And I learned that this actually happens a lot to celebrities that they settle out of court and are constantly settling and being okay with blackmail because they're all sickos. So I guess it's really common for this to happen. So the lawyers are working out the extortion details, a few meetings are happening, So then David Letterman doesn't love this right, so then he reaches out to the Manhattan District Attorney's office and they go, yeah, bro, this is this is extortion in blackmail. This is illegal, Like we need to get to it.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if.
Speaker 2: This would be the service you would get if you were anybody, but like, Letterman is so beloved, so they really got move in on this. And Joe had demanded a two million dollar check to keep all of this secret, so the mat Manhattan District Attorney's office hands him like a fake two million dollar check. Joe goes deposits the check in October and he was arrested the next day, released, of course, on bail two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: So October first, two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and nine is when Letterman goes on Late Night. I remember this moment and he kind of like confesses all of this, and I think that's the only thing the episode took from Letterman is that on air thing, because there was no belts, there's no rate but years coming out and even now in the future, you know, with me too and different powers and hooking up with bosses and interns and all of that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there is a lot of ethical stuff. I remember this too, though. I remember this him going on TV.
Speaker 3: So what do you remember.
Speaker 1: I just remember being like, this is so weird, how somber he is.
Speaker 3: What year is it. It's two thousand and nine. Yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I probably was reading about it on fucking blogs. And shit because it was like Perez Hilton Times of twenty four hour news cycle and a celebrity gossip Like I probably was like, but I just remember him being so somber and being like this is weird, Like this isn't normally how you see David letter.
Speaker 2: Right, he was doing bits and the crowd still kept laughing and clapping because they didn't understand. So I did watch it, and he had guests after, which was shocking to me, Like what ay Harrold sitting Kim Kardashian, we're guests. I kept figuring it out, like did he do it at the end? How did he continue the show? Like what's going on? But they love him. The audience loved him, like it was wild to watch. So this is the only thing we can talk And like a lot of videos have come out about Letterman recently where like he's grabbing and being inappropriate with the female guests and bringing them in and like kind of being touchy and was he having sex with tons of the interns and what was going on? There's actually comedy a comedian with rumors about like having a job there and that they were hooking up and that's the reason that they got promoted you know who.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Yeah, of course you do.
Speaker 2: And I've talked to this person about it and stuff, but you know, there was kind of a reputation where if you fuck Dave.
Speaker 3: You got promotions.
Speaker 2: So you know, we can talk about like ethical implications and stuff. But this episode we watched is so horrific and I just feel isn't that? So he told the Late Night Show on October first that he had sexual relationships with female members of his staff. He talked about the extortion, the two million dollar check, and the story started out with He's like, listen, I have a story to tell you. I had to go downtown today and testify in a grand jury. I have received a package. Three weeks ago. There was a threat and ABC News is like the audiences were waiting for a punchline, but it didn't truly come, and it was just so detailed with everything and setting up the meeting.
Speaker 3: He really like milked it.
Speaker 2: So he talked for eight minutes before he brought up the affair. So for eight minutes he's just setting the scene of the blackmail, the process, the extortion, that they have evidence of dirty things that he's doing, and they're.
Speaker 3: All laughing, they're clapping like it is.
Speaker 2: You know, they have awkward moments, but they're still in it because it's David.
Speaker 3: You know, they're excited to be there.
Speaker 1: I must not have watched the whole thing because I remember just him being like, you know, but I don't think I watched an eight minute Joe okafon.
Speaker 2: And even after he confessed, there were bits. I mean, he got an applaud break. He straight up said I had sex with staff and there was an applaud break it.
Speaker 3: It really was wild.
Speaker 2: So, like I said, there was guys, I did watch it, but the first state minutes, yeah about the DA the envelopes, all the dark shit, and then he does say, I straight up I did it, and he said it would be embarrassing if it were made public, perhaps it would especially for the women.
Speaker 3: And so people loved that joke. I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, you show it's like nine minutes in like fifty seconds and at the end he goes Woody Harrelson coming up next. I mean, it is wild, but there there were bits and confusion, absolutely, and.
Speaker 3: And it continued for days.
Speaker 2: You know, that was like on a Monday, and he was making jokes Throughout the week, like October fifth, two thousand and nine, he did a joke about the weather, saying, if you're starting to feel the chili fall weather, take heart that it is far far chiller in the in his home, What.
Speaker 3: Far chiller in my or something like that.
Speaker 2: The audience is sympathetic to him, and I guess. Throughout the week he also made nods of how he's like bash Bill Clinton and the Spitz, you know, Elliott Spitzer and all these guys, and how now it's him. And on the next Monday he comes in and he did a joke about, oh, this weekend, I was raking it, raking my hate mail, shit like that. And he also he did take stuff seriously. He apologized to the staff. He talks about how horrible it was and how how hurt his wife was and how it's you know, mean to her. And the wild thing is, so they've been together since nineteen eighty six, him and his long term girlfriend. They did not get married till March two thousand and nine. Wow, and then this all happened October two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So it's like, why I don't understand you've been not married this whole time? Why would you get married at this moment and then do like I know he didn't think he would get extorted, but it's just confusing. You were together for since nineteen eighty six. Just do the Kurt rustle of it all with Goldie, you know? So, Like I said, it's cheating and their adults, but also relationship between bosses and employees worldwide. Pants the production company did put out a statement that Stephanie was put on paid leave when this all went down, so I guess that's good. In one of the articles I read, there's the author of this book called Officemate, Your Employee Handbook for Romance on the Job. She's like, listen, you know, obviously don't do it, but in quotes, we're in no position to tell people what to do with their hearts.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I wrote that and thought it was important. I just I liked it.
Speaker 2: And it goes on to say that the host did foster a vibe of workplace sexual misconduct. Like I said, women who had sex with him did have better opportunities. Allegedly, I feel dangerous talking about any of this. And he did the rigamaroles. He sat down with Oprah with his friend regis, you know what I mean, Like he made the rounds.
Speaker 3: This was everywhere, Now Joe, what happened to Joe?
Speaker 2: So at first he pled not guilty, but he was facing fifteen years for extortion. And you know, there was so much media attention from October until like the final sentencing. There was months of so much in the media. So he ended up actually pleading guilty to attempted grand larceny. His lawyer said to CBS News that the scheme was fueled by both financial problems and romantic jealousy after reading that damn diary, but don't go through people's things. And then his lawyer also said that the Manhattan District Attorney, Robert Morgentho, has embraced Letterman's story and that he got to make his points on national television and again going back to the episode, like that's pretty not fair.
Speaker 3: You get to just chat to America.
Speaker 2: And so he began his prison sentence met in May of two thousand and ten. He served four months of his six month Sentenceman did not appear in court at all, and also the deal included four and a half years probation, a thousand hours of community service, and five hundred of those hours will be in a Connecticut homeless shelter. And I guess thank you ABC News for that detail. And he was at Rikers. Okay, so he got out for good behavior. But after Joe went to jail, he got a new job and there was like there was press everywhere. He got a job with Investigation Discoveries, show Case with Paula's on. It was you know, news, and he's still working. I mean, he has eight Emmys. So I don't know. And of course Letterman's popularity unscathed. Maybe an emotional blow, but like everyone loves him to this day. I barely think of no one thinks about this. I don't that. I you know, I don't.
Speaker 3: I have not talking about people remember this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Stephanie, you can't find any of her appearances on the internet. Her segments have been scrubbed from the history, unwritten, like unwritten from the show's history. There was one was it Vanity Washington Post. There was some sort of an opinion piece that talked about how sad it was that her whole tenure on that show was scrubbed away because she was such a great correspondent and they had such great chemistry and it's like she's ceases to exist in that realm like most women. Yeah, in these cases, we he got a standing ovation. She was meant to leave scrubbed from the internet. But she was in law school and she graduated and she's a lawyer. And that's that.
Speaker 1: That's another tie in with the episode is like we just talked about it, like.
Speaker 3: America loves a comeback. Look at this fucking guy gets out of jail, immediately gets another job, no problem. David Letterman saw no problems, like had nothing wrong. This girl had to leave entertainment. I mean, she's a lawyer. She's not like canceled or dead or anything. But like, you know, it's like, fucking what we just talked.
Speaker 2: About, being on the Late Show is probably a great fucking gig. You know, he was paying for her fucking college. It's yeah that you're right. The guy went because David Letterman's beloved. This guy tried to extore David Letterman and he got a job right away, straight out of Rikers, And yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 2: And it's just like she was a pawn between this guy, you know what I mean, Like this guy was like I'm jealous, but also like she's dat, she's hooking up with these old ass losers. This guy was seventeen years older than her, with paying two alimony payments, he had two ex wives. Yeah, he's paying over six thousand dollars in alimony. It's nuts, it's nuts a month a month. But yeah, so she saw something in him. Lived in a house in Connecticut. I mean, she obviously has weird taste. Well, thank you for taking us down memory lane. And a light.
Speaker 3: It's light, it's nice. Yeah, it's a little light. You know, a few months in jail.
Speaker 1: We don't have a guest today, so let's pop right into that post mortem.
Speaker 3: Baby. I hated seeing the belt. I really didn't like it.
Speaker 2: She was she's such a good actress, like you really felt her on the stand. And this is one that I actually haven't seen that much and I never really remember. And then when I remember, I go, oh god, nothing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah. Yeah, it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: I mean I think it's like as like in so many episodes of this show that they highlight is like you can kind of stop sex whenever you want. You can stop any kind of like physical activity, you know, anytime you want, and like that, everyone tries to act like yeah, like.
Speaker 2: I just don't even understand why you would be like what that's it.
Speaker 3: It's like is that or it's sick?
Speaker 1: It's yeah, or like or anything like she wrote a book about sex, so she loves it. She had posted a photo on Instagram where she's wearing a skimpy dress, so she loves it. It's like anything that's like outside of that moment, it feels irrelevant. But then, like the show points out that that's not really true in a court of law, when you know people are judging you and making like making I mean like the fact that they had to like go down to Baltimore to find her old ex boyfriend and be like how kinky was she tell us, you know, like we gotta we gotta get to it first.
Speaker 2: That was what the girl at the face she was saying, because were talking about Merrilyn M.
Speaker 3: Manson and she was just like, I don't know. I mean, she was an adult.
Speaker 2: He didn't she didn't have to go in and do that, like it was an sn M type thing. And I'm like, yeah, but he is a freak, Like I don't know, but wait, did you hear about the Vinnie from Jersey Shore thing. Have I talked about it on this podcast?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: So, you know, I'm obsessed with this guy. His podcast is pillow Talk. I don't know why I'm endeared to him so much. I truly have such such a crush on him. His name's Ryan and he has porn stars and sex stirkers on his pod mostly and sometimes they do fuck on the pod. He brought his friend with cancer on and two of his favorite porn stars did have sex with him.
Speaker 3: But that's not digress.
Speaker 2: So they had a girl on and you know a lot of these porn stars like they fuck famous people, like they fuck all the rappers actors, like that's is in their dms and so like they all have fucked Chris Brown, Like they're all just out there like that's who's fucking celebrities. And so she said that Vinnie from the Jersey Shore. She went to his house and they watched a porno of a girl in a dog cage and then she pukes and then she eats her own puke, and then they went into like the house or whatever, and they're of the room, no furniture, nothing except a dog cage. And he was like I want you to go do that, and she didn't, and so then the facial girl was like, well this girl like she did go do that, And I'm like, I don't know. But also, if you're gonna be fucking and like if you're famous and you're gonna be doing that, like you need to make people sign NDA's like I will never become the same, Like it's you know, it's consensual whatever if you want to watch women eating puke in a dog cage, like okay, but I don't know. I don't know how you live that down now. But also maybe I'm breaking the news, so who knows. Yeah, are talking about it?
Speaker 3: Like sure, I do not know? Wow, I God, Lisa, nobody is safe.
Speaker 1: I thought Vinnie was like the one good guy from fucking Jersey Shore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would think it'd be the situation or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you tell me the situations and this shit like that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, got it tracks, But Vinnie's Vinnie. It's Vinnie oof oof.
Speaker 1: And I mean like yeah, not not not to kink shame.
Speaker 3: But that's a lot. That's a lot. It's tough. It's tough.
Speaker 2: I think you got to do a couple therapy just to figure out why you want that.
Speaker 3: I do think that like no judgment, but you know judgment, but.
Speaker 1: It's like what your facialist is talking about. It's like, consider what was happening in the real crime or the real like extortion that you talked about in this week's episode. Like sure, this girl is like kind of having an affair with David Letterman. She's an adult, but like he's her boss. There's power dynamics, there's all like does she have the ability to just walk away if she wants to?
Speaker 3: We don't know. Well that's what I said to her.
Speaker 2: So you know, even if it's not criminal, I'm like, I'm not saying everyone's a criminal, Like it doesn't have to be criminal, But if tons of women all over have the same experience of feeling pressure or giving in or whatever, there is a collective experience and there should be a name for it or a thing or like, yeah, a name for the person who pressures you, like we have sex pest. But like, if if everyone is experiencing it, you cannot dismiss.
Speaker 3: It as well. You said it.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like if all of us feel uncomfortable at one point of our lives when we're young, then, like we need to address it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: But whatever, I just yeah, but this is like a harrowing episode. Also, I guess, like, figure out a fool proof plan. If you're going to just write erotica for your college professor, let's figure out a backstory. Let's figure out where you learned all of your knowledge about Uh, what's the guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't like that she didn't have enough lies planned, she.
Speaker 1: Didn't have enough ries plan, she didn't have enough lies plan. Like, if you're going to go on talk shows stuff, people are going to ask you where you got into all that stuff?
Speaker 3: Like I just wanted.
Speaker 1: I was assuming that these two smart women would have had more of a fool proof plan to keep the deception alive. But I really hope that in the extended universe of SVU, Jocelyn has started writing, you know, her own fiction and it's going well and.
Speaker 3: People like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, should we get into what would Sister Peg do? Yes, this is our weekly segment where we direct you towards some kind of resource that'll help you learn a little bit more about what we talked about today, and just apropos of the conversation. We were just having I wanted to highlight this article I found on the Planned Parenthood website called Sexual Boundaries how to Set Them. It's a quick read that helps define sexual boundaries in a consensual sexual situation as well as communication tips. Breaks down several key categories like clothing boundaries, body part boundaries, activity boundaries, and lays out how to effectively communicate and establish all of these boundaries. Wow, don't drink every time I say boundary. If you're anxious or confused about establishing these kind of boundaries, this is a great resource and you can find out more information and as always, donate money to Planned Parenthood at planned parenthood dot org. And we'll link to that article in our stories the day that this comes out and it'll be saved forever in our WWSPD highlight on our Instagram which is thats Messed Up pod. Please go follow that if you have a moment, follow our insta, get all the info from us.
Speaker 3: And that's that.
Speaker 2: That is a good one And next week we will be covering girl Dishonored season fourteen, episode twenty. Thanks so much for listening or obsessed with all of you and I like seeing you guys on the streets all around. I mean at the Amtrak in New York and in Baltimore. I ran into listeners at the train station. You know, they're everywhere to go.
Speaker 1: I gotta go to my target more often. That's the only place people see me.
Speaker 3: We love you, guys, and that's the scary.
Speaker 2: I do get a message sometimes and it's like, oh, I saw you at this place, but I didn't say anything. I'm like, what was I alone? Were you just watching me alone? Like interrupt? I like I can't. I'm like nervous. Hi, it's my hair brush, Like it's stressful, Like what if someone sees me when I do have amiltown, you know, Like it is a scary, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, message us, email us, we love you guys, See you next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kraklank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina.
Speaker 1: Chamberlain, and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Danielle Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 4: Dun Dun