Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Jonathan Ferrow, along with Lisa Bromwitz and Amrie Hordern. Join us each day for insight from the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics from our global headquarters in New York City. We are live on Bloomberg Television weekday mornings from six to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business App. General Maston Robinson of Academy Securities right in the following Irun's actions left don address potentially sets an illegal new normal. General Robinson joins us now for more. General, Welcome to the program Sir. Can we pick up on Huthy Medicine's entering this war, this conflict. What are the consequences of that?
Speaker 3: I don't know. This it really changes you think. I believe the Hoothis, who been involved the whole time. I think what we're missing here is that the Huthis do not make their own decisions. They're a proxy and they act when Iran says, okay, we want you to act and when Iran wants them to stand down and they have them stand down. Nobody controls the Huthis except for Iran, and certainly Yemen doesn't control the Huthis or those frontier spaces that are within their border.
Speaker 4: One individual, though, John Lieber of Your Asia Group, said to me that the Huthis would rather be basically paid off by the Saudis instead of getting involved. I think the calculus is changing for the proxy.
Speaker 3: I don't think it changed for the proxy because but I think the Houthis are businessmen. Yes they'll take money from the Saudis, and yes they'll promise A B and C. But the end of the day, the Huthis are owned by the Iranians. And the question is do the Huthis really believe they're still sufficient supreme leadership authority in Iran for them to be able to trust that that's where they're calculus, their money, their direction is going to come from. Or has this second or third generation of spreme leadership authority dissipated sufficiently to where they start to doubt. I have confidence that given the decades long relationship Iran has with this proxies, although not decades along necessarily with the Huthis. Iran still has a firm grip in my opinion on them, largely not because of the Spreme Leadership Authority, but because of the RGC that is below that but is intrinsically connected to the Spreme Leadership Authority.
Speaker 4: We do, though, have a recent killing according to the Israelis of the IRGC Navy commander. Do you think this breaks down their maritime command for the Iranians?
Speaker 3: Now, I think you've got to get into the tens of thousands, if not one hundred thousands of killings of the of the RGC, if you're really going to have an influence and effect. But I don't think we really know. We know that they're you know, two hundred and fifty thousand in theory strong. We know that they are just etched in stone in relationship with the Spring Leadership Authority and have been since the beginning. We don't know how deep that etched in stone authority and loyalty goes, but we surmise it goes pretty deep, which is why I don't think what the goal here is how do we destroy the RGC. The goal is how do we get Iran to a point where they're willing to negotiate a plausible non nuclear Iran in the future. And to me, that's where the entire buck stops is, how do we get around to where they are not pursuing a nuclear capability that would be catastrophic for the world.
Speaker 4: Well, how do you think we get there? We're not there now today?
Speaker 5: Are we?
Speaker 3: We are not. But I think that's the reason you're seeing more forces sent there. Everything is about leverage. Everything is about how to create negotiation space. How do you create enough not pain, but how do you create enough capability? Threat and anxiety. That is all of this calculus combined together of the killing of the supreme leadership authorities, the reduction of their capabilities, particularly the destruction of their navy and a lot of their air to say, how much more are they willing to sustain and be able to say, We're still an entity to be reckoned with in the Middle East.
Speaker 1: General and President Trump says that he wants to take the oil in Irun. How do you understand that.
Speaker 3: I see all this as purely negotiation strategy. If he can see something that causes the Iranians to say, hmm, okay, I didn't expect that that's a breef further than I wanted. Then I think that gives the upper hand of what the administration is seeking. What I don't see this being is a ground invasion like Iraq. I don't see that is where we're headed. I do see where we're headed is where the leverage points that the administration believes are plausible. It's really the leverage points that SITCOM believes are plausible because all of them, there is any surprise that we're doing something against Iran at some point, it's just the timing to win. But every reasonal combatic commander has in the can campaign plans and plans against certain scenarios that they break out, dust off, update based on how these situation has changed, and then they expand it based on what the current administration will allow and authorize them to do it. Most reasonal combatic commanders are willing to be a little more aggressive than their electoral officials are telling them to be. So there's always that calculus of the military wanting to be a little more aggressive and confident the administration and the elected officials and win a minute. There's more stake here than just winning a battle.
Speaker 2: On the battle to stay with US more Bloomberg surveillance coming up after this. Brankrud on track for a record monthly game. As the war with Around continues to intensify, Bob mcnalley of Rapid and Energy Group writing fade speculation on a near term US around cease fire. US force posture points to escalation. Bob joined us. Now for more, Bob, welcome. Let's start with that line. It's an important line. What is it about the force posture of the US the points to escalation?
Speaker 6: Great to be with you, John. So, yeah, we're flowing.
Speaker 7: We have one marine expeditionary units arrived, another one's on the way, eighty second airborne and other forces are moving in. We think we're likely to see some form of ground operation. I'll doubt we'll go into carg Island. Most of the military folks I talk with just don't understand the utility of that. However, there are smaller islands that are more defensible that are used by Iran to interdict shipping. Perhaps it's those, but I think some form of US groundfores insertion is coming.
Speaker 4: But Bob, when we talk about the President saying things like I want to take the oil in Iran. Inevitably that would mean some sort of operation with carg Island.
Speaker 6: No, you know it doesn't have to I don't understand.
Speaker 7: I mean, back in twenty twelve, I wrote an ft up ed and I said, just put a quarantine up. You just stop all the ships in the Gulf of Oman coming out of Carr Island. Carg Island's like five miles from the coast. We could take it, but then we'd be under constant bombardment from drones and artillery and missiles and things. So again, I'm not a military guy, but the military guys and gals I know don't really see the need to occupy carg Island. We can still choke off Iran's exports, we can do that, but we can do it far away on the water.
Speaker 4: Why would this administration want to choke off their exit when they literally took Ran off of their sanctions list, even including in the general license that Americans can now buy Iranian barrels.
Speaker 7: Right, So, right now, I Marie, you're right, right now, the strategy the administration is put every barrel it can into the market to try and break crudes assent. Okay, And so that you're right, liberalizing access to Iranian barrels, to Russian barrels, allowing Iran to export it will while others are constrained, you know. But if we're going to take carg Island by force, that strategy will obviously change.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying you can do it in other ways, Bob.
Speaker 1: There is a lot of uncertainty around how significantly oil production has already been disrupted in some sort of significant way that could lead to prolonged shortages. Do you have an assessment of that.
Speaker 6: We're starting to work that up.
Speaker 7: The problem is this is still underway and the damages are TBD. But right now, you know, I think it's three to four more months before the major Saudi Arabia Kuwait, probably maybe longer for Iraq Romelia that field. That one million barrel a day outage there could could be much longer term. So if you put a gun to my head right now it's still underway, I'd say on the order of two million barrels a day of crude that could be lost for a long time here, and that's before we get into any potential damage to above ground facilities. Again, the silver lining so far on this cloud is we haven't seen escalation to destroying the facilities we need to process and export that crude. When those fields can be brought back up, that would be disastrous. Ab Cake rostun or a terminal carg island itself haven't been physically damaged, so that's the other thing to watch for. If that happens, then all the damage estimates, you know, get increased.
Speaker 1: How much has the SPR release of the United States and in Europe, as well as the unsanctioned Iranian and Russian oil potentially cushioned some of what we're seeing in terms of actual production absolutely destroyed.
Speaker 6: Well, from a flow perspective, it's marginal. Right at the.
Speaker 7: Most, when all the SPR barrels are flowing from the IA countries, you're looking at maybe a little more than two million barrels a day the deficit. And there's a lot of math going around out there, but you know, we estimate the deficit to be about cruder products twelve a million barrels a day or so, so obviously from a flow perspective, it's not that significant. It is, however, helping keep WTTI down. It is cushioning the market a little bit, but it's a speed bump kind of on the way higher.
Speaker 2: Well, can you translate a headline for me? Just help me understand how important this is or not. This came from the President speaking to the Financial Times. He talked about this a few times now, about these Pakistan flagged oil tankers that have been alopped through the strati formos. Whether that number is ten or whether it's twenty, Can you give us some context on that. How big is that number relative to the amount of traffic that which traditionally go through the strike?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: John, So you know what we haven't even I mean, it's these tankers were not even sure there were oil tankers, and they have been dry cargo tankers. It's you know, if each one at max would have been two million barrels, ten million barrels, two million barrels.
Speaker 6: So it's just not that much.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think all of this really is verbal intervention, you know, the term I learned in the nineties working at Tutor and watching the central banks. This is activating this reservoir of hope and confidence in the market that this nightmare is going to go away. And the President knows when he says things like this, we almost have a deal. Ten cargoes went out it was a gift. We're escorting tankers out. All of this I think is mainly intended to try and keep oil prices down, and that doesn't reflect the real return of barrels. Most on a given day, maybe a half a million barrels a day is getting out, but it's quite marginal.
Speaker 2: Stay with us Inmberg surveillance coming up after this at Alhasani, Columbia, threatned or writing it's in the fence interest to keep markets on edge. Doubts is their most powerful tool to keep inflation in check. At joint US Now for more and good morning glory. Is that how you describe this? Then the first phase is a big communication push.
Speaker 5: I think that's right. You want to create the permission structure for markets to price type monetary policy upfront. Then as we see inflation, as we see growth developed later this year, I think it opens up room for cuts. But the initial stage you want to make sure that the markets feel that the Fed's responding with sort of a whatever it takes pasture.
Speaker 2: How do you price that sequencing through this yield curve.
Speaker 5: I think we've done a good amount of work. We've taken out about two and a half cuts. We've taken that pricing to roughly neutral, maybe half a hike in the price. We've flattened the curve, right, If anything in the extreme of this conflict continues, we could invert the curve, and that would be very consistent with the FED tightening policy in the background to make sure there are no second round effects from this.
Speaker 1: So then, how do you understand the back end of the yield curve, the ten year, the thirty year, and the fact that yields have moved higher. Is this a lack of credibility that the market has that they truly can contain inflation.
Speaker 5: I think the answer is twofold one. Not yet. Most of the repricing has been real rates. So it's been a tightening of policy. It's been a tightening of posture. The initial reaction to me is a couple of things. One, there's some technicals behind this. The market was positioned for cuts, with position for a steeper curve. At the end of February, we've unwound all of that. We haven't had time to price in the hit to growth in the labor market yet. I think it's starting to get a look now as we get thirty year yields to five percent ten year yields to four and a half percent, Those things start to become more durable ceilings. But I think the key question for an investor today is which part of the curve is overshot. Is at the longer end of the curve or the front end. And I think I put a lot more chips on that longer end of the curve, so.
Speaker 1: You believe it's going to be a greater growth shock than people previously expected. I'm just wondering how the fiscal lever plays into this, given the fact that the previous declines in growth have been met with huge fiscal responses, and we see a similar type of impulse coming right now, at least in the rhetoric from Congress.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so that's a little bit of a wildcard right now. The fiscal posture right now in the background is roughly neutral, not a lot going on. It's a little bit more accommodative in China, in Japan, in Germany. To the extent that there is room to really ramp up fiscal stimulus the way we did after COVID, I think that room is a lot tighter. I think Congress has learned the fact that look, look, you really need a different rate environment. You really need a different growth environment to drop stimulus into the economy without basing significant consequences. So I'm seeing a little bit of adjustment on the margin gasoline taxes and the like, but large fiscal stimulas so far is not part of the picture. But that's a massive risk for bond investors.
Speaker 2: Is is there a bond market you're worried about. I looked to Japan High CEO. It's across some tennas since the nineteen nineties, the UK since two thousand and I Germany since twenty eleven. Is there a market you're more concerned about versus souders?
Speaker 5: I think some of the volatility you see in UK rates, for sure, is symptomatic of the fact that there's very little capacity for that market to absorb additional supply. That's one to a lot of the participants of that market are leveraged hedge funds. They moved their positions around very quickly. You see that in the rate volatility. But if I zoom out, I would be most worried about emerging markets, particularly local currency emerging markets. This has put significant pressure on them, both directly through the inflation, oil shock and indirectly through a stronger dollar, so to the extent that emerging markets were a real sweet spot last year, a really nice runway for cuts that's gone and a lot of them will have to tighten policy pretty significantly. So from a growth perspective, that feeds back in a nasty way.
Speaker 6: That is just great.
Speaker 2: So they don't get just hit once, they get hit twice, maybe three times.
Speaker 1: And how many people were positioned for emerging markets to perform heading into this year. They thought that they would benefit from the tailwind of global growth continuing to expand and potentially at a faster pace the rest of the world out performing in the US. How much things have been completely turned on their heads in just one month.
Speaker 2: Forgive me for showing this down to about thirty seconds. That's all I've gone. Do you think there's an underappreciation still this morning about energy rationing in am and it hits the growth for about c Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely. We're starting to see that in Asia, particularly in East and South Asia. That's starting to play through in the physical markets. It's the place where manufacturing is concentrated and so most sensitive to to the inflation and energy sharp story.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, bringing you the best in markets, economics, a gient politics. You can watch the show live on Bloomberg TV weekday mornings from six am to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen, and as always, on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app