Speaker 1: This is Lee Habib and this is our American stories. Our next story is about a man whose legend has reached Chuck Norris like heights. In fact, the man behind all those farcical facts about Chuck Norris wrote a book titled Chuck Norris Versus Mister T. Four hundred Facts about the Baddest Dudes in the History of Ever. Without further ado, here's Greg Hengler with the story of Mister T.
Speaker 2: Mister T is, without a doubt, one of the most recognizable pop culture curiosities of the eighties, right up there with the Rubik's Cube breakdancing and pac Man bursting onto the scene as villainous boxer clubber Lang and Rocky three, in which he ad lipped his famous catchphrase, No.
Speaker 3: I don't hate their boa, but I paid it for and I would destroy any man who tries to take what I got. What's your prediction for the fight?
Speaker 2: Then addiction?
Speaker 3: Yes, prediction.
Speaker 2: He went Reagan era viral with the A Team. What you're doing, sucker?
Speaker 1: What's going on here?
Speaker 3: This road leads directly to the airport, Hannibal, this road is nowhere near the airport.
Speaker 2: The popular TV show launched the former Chicago nightclub bouncer to a surreal level of fame that spawned a Saturday Morning cartoon, action figures and even a ridiculously sweet breakfast Cereal. Well, enough with the jibajebba. Here's mister T with his story, starting with how he was discovered, how he got his name, and why the mohawk.
Speaker 3: When I wouldn't bodygarden. I used to work at this disco in Chicago called Dean Bets. I was sort of bouncing people's a saint and then the in DC had this contest called the Toughest Bounce in America. Humbly I won the contest. When I say humbly I wanted even though it was called the Toughest Bounce in America. I did not win that I wanted two years in a row. I didn't win that contest because I was the roughest, the toughest, or the baddest. I won that contest again because the calls c A U S E. The cause that I represented was far more greater than anybody else's cause. I told my pastor that my church caused some Politan community church on the South side of Chicago.
Speaker 2: I said, Pastor.
Speaker 3: Hardy, they are having a contest and when I win, I'm gonna give you the money so you can buy clothes and food for less fortunate people in the community. So I won two years in a row. I gave a check both times to my church. And then they say that syl Vesteristallone was at home at the time watching the program. Then he saw me. I had my ear rings and my tuxio each bounce at a tuxi home. Then he saw me. He said, that guy's different and he can talk. Then they called me out. At first they called me and they sent me a script. Then that came out to Hollywood audition for the role. Had to beat out fifteen hundred black guys for the part. But I like to think that I got it because I freely gave the money. And everything I give, you know, it comes back to me, you know, And so I never look back, you know, I think because I get so much, because I give so much, I don't give looking for that return I'm giving. Thanking God allowed me to be here. Thanking God. Sure I'm tough on all that. I'm tough because I conditioned my body to be tough, you know. And when I was nine years old, I got seven brothers and four sisters. We was on welfare food stamps. I drew a picture when I was in school of a house and my mother and I showed it to my mother. I said, Mama, one of these days, I'm gonna be big and strong. I'm gonna be a football player and a boxer. I'm gonna value a beautiful house, mama, and i'm'a value you pretty dresses. My mother was a maid. My mother used to go in the suburbs and scrub up white people floor. She was not allowed to go in the front door, had to go in the back door. I'm not a race. I'm telling you where I come from. But my mother never taught us hate. She said, son, you do your best.
Speaker 1: You work hard.
Speaker 3: If you want something, work hard, save your money and get it. So I told my mother, I said do this hill. Then I said, I'm gonna be a football player in a box. I'm'a buy you a beautiful house. And then she hugged me and said, if that's the lord's willing, it was, and heels the lord's willing.
Speaker 2: Mister T is the youngest son and a family of twelve children, and grew up in Chicago's Projects. Having been expelled from university after his first year, mister T enlisted in the US Army, serving in the Military Police Corps, where he excelled. After his discharge, he tried to make it as a professional American football player, but failed to make the team due to a knee injury. In the seventies, he started working as a bouncer, during which time he created the mister T persona and started cladding himself in gold jewelry, usually left behind by customers at the end of the night.
Speaker 3: You know, like I gotta tell people, crime in drugs was over me, under me, and around me, but crime and drugs will never in me. Why I wasn't afraid to get a whooping, wasn't afraid to go to jail. I loved my mother too much.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I would rather die and burning the hail than to bring dishonor or disrespect to my mother. I'm nothing but a big, overgrown, tough god fearing but kicking mama's boy. So after I did Rocky, I save all my money bought my mother a house in pre dresses. Okay, back to how I got the name mister T. See as I tell everybody as a black man growing up in white society, I watched my father being called boy. My father is a minister. He preached the gospel. He baptized me I was four years old, and I used to, you know, take the Bible up to the thing and opening, and he preached anyway. And I watched my father being disrespected called boy. I watched one of my brothers, who was a marine, come back from Vietnam with his marine uniform on, and guys call him boy. So I questioned the fight, what do a black man have to do before he's given the respect as a man. So when I was eighteen years old, old enough to fight and die for my country and be drafted, I said, I'm old enough to be called a man. So now I became eight years old, I self ordained myself mister T. So the first word out of everybody's mouth would be mister. That's a sign of respect, Ta, because it took our last name. I was born Lawrence Turogue, So that's why I changed my name to mister T. And I tell people, you know, I don't want to be disrespectful to the Mohican Indians, even though we call it a mohawk. Truthfully, it is called a Mendinka cut because as a tribe in Africa called a Mendenka warriors in the West coast of Africa and country of Mali, they were they have this weight.
Speaker 2: Following Hurricane Katrina in two thousand and five, mister T retired his massive gold chains because, as he said, I told myself, no, tea, you can never wear your gold again. It's an insult to God. Mister T substituted the chains with the stars and stripes Spandana. Here's why don's this patriotic headgear and what lever he pulls at the ballot fox wa.
Speaker 3: The stars and stripe because it's my way of paying the veterans back. Is my way of aren'ting the veterans. And I'm I'm a veteran myself. You know, I'm in the nation. I was in the National Guard, military Police. I got four brothers, uh through, one in the Marine, three in the army. See, like the people joke me, this is who I vote for, I said, I voted for I voted for Jesus. Because you can't vote to me and can't vote them out because it's a politics. They're gonna say one thing, all of them black and white. Whatever politics. My mother told me, she said, son well man staying dependents on where he sits. So I've seen politicians come vote for me, this and that I'll do. Everybody gonna promise a good game, but in reality they don't, you know. So I'm gonna stick with God. When mother, when I was raised, when I was a little kid, mother told me to pray. And I've been praying ever since then, you know, and it ain't it ain't failed me yet. I prayed when to get me out to ghetto, prayed to be a good kid, prayed till I don't get involved crime and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I go to the hospital's mother asked me to pray for their children. They don't ask me because I'm a celebrity. They know, because I believe in God. I serve God to fully act with me. I don't get with God to try to impress somebody, to fool somebody like a lot of selevirities. Do you catch him doing wrong? Didn't he want to get the Bible? And all I've been with the Bible, I've been taking food down to the homeless.
Speaker 2: Simply said mister t is the real deal and a man of his word.
Speaker 1: And a terrific job on the production editing and storytelling by our own Greg Hengler. And you heard from mister T in his own voice, and who knew? I didn't know. And I follow this stuff, and I'm always looking for those hidden faith stories that are out there that are pure gems. Faith playing such a central part of American life and often ignored completely by storytellers around the country, not here in our American stories. When faith is a part of your life, it's gonna be in the story, by the way, when it's not, it's not. But my goodness, he starts as a bouncer, and what does he do with his winnings from this bouncer contest National twice? He gives the money to his pastor. And my goodness, I love what Sylvester Stallone said because we just experienced it. He said that guy's different when he was listening to all the audition reels, and he can talk, and my goodness, can mister T talk. But what he talked about just remarkable, talking about his prayer life, how we prayed to get out of the ghetto, how we prayed just every step of the way, the story of mister t here On, our American stories