Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Let's do.
Speaker 1: Luke's Diner with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast. Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I amal and podcast one of them productions. iHeartRadio Media. iHeart podcasts. We have a very special guest todaying Luke's Diner, Dan Grossi Pelosi. Oh my god, here he is. You know he is known as a meatball making meatballs. This is his New York Times bestselling author of Let's Eat. He specializes in all things comfort and food is recipes, and so he's kind of perfect for this podcast. In this show, his recipes specialize in all things comfort and food. His his recipes are meant to be shared. And I want to know where the heck is mine and celebrate with the ones you love. Dan, send me a lot, because this lie I love a lot of people. Dan is a contribute to the New York Times Cooking section appears regularly on Good Morning America. His new cookbook, Let's Party Recipes and Menus for Celebrating every Day, is available now. It's a great title. He recently launched Grocy World, a new online universe where people can connect with him and the entire Grocy community about recipes, travel, body positive culture and more. Love It, Daniel, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: I couldn't be happy to be here. It's just so amazing to be chatting with you. I'm such a huge fan. So if you had told me, you know, years ago, when I was watching you on my television, admittedly having a giant crush on you, that I'd be chatting with you on a podcast, I would have passed out.
Speaker 4: So hopefully I don't pass out here.
Speaker 1: I have barely just met you, and I have a crush on YouTube. Pal Let me tell you, Let me tell you. Look, congratulations on let'sy becoming a New York Times best selling cookbook.
Speaker 4: What don't you.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about recipe testing? What's that look like for you? Where do you get your inspiration?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, my inspiration comes from the majority of my inspiration comes from growing up Italian American and Portuguese American surrounding myself. I didn't leave the kitchen. I was an indoor kid. I was in the kitchen, I was cooking. I was watching, you know, these amazing men and women and people in my family cook and learning from them. They didn't let me just sit there. They had me testing and tasting and you know, making mistakes. And then from there my world expanded. I left my hometown, I moved to San Francisco, I lived in Portland, Oregon. I've lived in New York City for the past twelve years. So I just am like always eating, tasting, consuming, and I'm just inspired by all the comfort food that I eat in my life. And then I get to turn that into recipes and share them people to get them to cook, which is kind of the most exciting thing about what I do.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. You know, I'm I'm a little bit of a chef mine. I wouldn't say chef. I can't. I can't qualify as a chef.
Speaker 4: Cook I cook.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I call myself a cook too. I didn't go to culinary school, so I only identify as a cook. So where the same.
Speaker 1: There you go. But I make a lot of pasta with my son and I Okay, well he helps and he, you know, he'll taste the sauce and say, Dad, that needs to be a little more onion. He likes. He likes a lot of onions.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 3: I mean, I like a lot of onion too. I mean, also is my number one thing.
Speaker 4: So we're well, Rund.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good good. I'm gonna get some pro tips here today. I'm very yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you like vodka sauce?
Speaker 1: Do you like?
Speaker 2: Never tried it?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: My vodka sauce recipe went viral in twenty twenty, and it's like, let's started all of this. I'm gonna send it to you. You've got to make this with your son. It will become your number one favorite thing.
Speaker 1: Really yeah really okay? Great, yeah, I'll try it out. But I see you know you make a lot of pasta salads, which is something I could get behind absolutely. What are your most creative pasta salad recipes?
Speaker 3: Well, I have my like family pasta salad, which is basically like an Italian HOGI in a bowl with pasta, which is delicious, gobsalami, cheese, you know, olives, pepper, andcini, you know, delicious Italian dressing.
Speaker 4: I've done all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 3: I've done chicken chicken pacada pasta salad, which is like chicken pocada but in a cold pasta salad?
Speaker 4: What else I just did.
Speaker 3: On The New York Times this summer just came out in July kale caesar pasta salad, which is like a kale caesar salad, which I'd love, and kales particularly good for pasta salad because it holds up really well, right, it doesn't, it doesn't do what romain would.
Speaker 4: Do, and so it lasts for days.
Speaker 3: And I made a delicious like mayo based caesar dressing and put some lemony bread crumbs on top, and it is so good.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, speaking of mayo, Yes, you have this exotic recipe because I saw you like an entire cup of mayo and a berry cake.
Speaker 3: Why why Because it's it's that's that's a traditional Southern thing.
Speaker 4: I mean it's fat. It's fat, right, So like.
Speaker 3: We're putting oil, we're putting butter. Oil, butter and mao are all similar, right, similar things. And the mayo provides this, especially if you're saying dukes, which is my favorite, that's like a level of like tanginess to it. So it's and the moisture is out of control, gotcha?
Speaker 4: Gotcha?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: So you have a you have a really scrumptious cheesy hand potato soup made from leftovers. Are you someone who can make leftovers? Well, what's your if I know, I know the answer is yes, what's your how do you do?
Speaker 4: I mean you have.
Speaker 3: The first thing about leftovers that you have to understand is that you stop thinking about them tasting like the first the first serving, right Like, They're never going to taste like the night or the day you made them. You have to think of the potential of what they can become, not what they work. So like, if you have leftover pasta, don't just don't try to bring it back to it, especially put it in a pan with some olive oil. Fry it, make it nice and crispy. Make and make a leftover, you know, a pasta for tata. Do something that's going to give you, Like if you have rice, you know, you've got to make sure when you reheat it you add some water or somewhere an ice cube into it so it steams like or you can make it really crispy. So you've got to think about like taking that leftover and then what you can do to move it forward, not backwards.
Speaker 1: You just taught an acting class. You could make that same speech to a bunch of actors and they would understand, don't try to repeat the result that you just go do something crispy, Make it crispy.
Speaker 3: Make it crispy, exactly, turn it into a sandwich. Any pretty much any leftover can be turned into a sandwich.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Well, okay, so what's your favorite most used kitchen appliants? Any that you think are underrated and underutilized?
Speaker 3: Honestly, Like, I'm kind of a teddy bear, and these hands are really not great.
Speaker 4: They're kind of paused. So I love tongs.
Speaker 3: Tongs are like, you know, because I love to go into my fingers, but I've been burned too many times. So I think tongs. You can serve with tongs, you can stir, you can cook with tongs. They're great for pasta that you take them on the grill. I love a tongue. I have so many different tongs. I was just in Japan and I bought incredible tongs, and then I got really into cooking with chopsticks, which is like a totally different story, totally not part of my own culture, but it was incredible to watch. So yeah, I know it's kind of boring, but I do think tongs like you just can use them for everything, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Dan Pelosi, it's winter Yeah. Yeah, you're you're hibernating, but you're called into the kitchen. What do you cook? Is it your favorite season with your bear paws?
Speaker 3: Yes, it absolutely isn't. I live in the country in Upstate New York, so I have fireplaces.
Speaker 4: There was a bear in my yard yesterday. Come hang by the fire.
Speaker 3: I'm probably making meatballs, a big pot of marinera big thing of meatballs, garlic bread, spaghetti, or making like something that's marin aera adjacent, eggplant parmesan or lazagna. Something you can really just that's gonna stick to your bones. I have a new lavagna recipe in my new book that is just next level.
Speaker 1: Man, Emma Jackie. I think we're gonna head to upstate New York this winter. Yeah, have some meatballs with Dan.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: Man, this sounds too good to be true.
Speaker 4: Come taste my ball, Scott.
Speaker 1: Sorry, no, no, listen, man. You see you're a guy who swings for the fences. I respect that.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 1: Listen. What's over one hundred different recipes right in your new Let's Party cookbook? Do you have a favorite?
Speaker 3: I would say my top ones are there's the lasagna, which is called Don't Tell You nana about this aasagna because it's like very non traditional alvanna.
Speaker 4: It's for Thanksgiving and it uses like.
Speaker 3: Brussels sprouts and leaks and you know all the kinds of like Thanksgiving vegetables that you would never think to put in alasagna.
Speaker 4: That one's really fab. There's a no cook tomato sauce.
Speaker 3: Recipe that you know nanas in Italy, when it's too hot outside, they don't want to cook, so they would slice tomatoes, salt them and put them in the sun and then it would just like the tomatoes would just like sweat and make a delicious sauce. That's called Sunshine pasta. It's peak, it's peak tomatoes season, so that's a great.
Speaker 4: Time for that. What else?
Speaker 3: I have a caramelized banana pudding where you make a traditional banana pudding, but you take the time to slice the bananas, put brown sugar on them and broil them and they get like crispy and caramelized. That's incredible. I have a bunch of holiday cookies. I'm like, holiday cookies are my thing. I throw a huge holiday cookie party, and so I have six new holiday cookie.
Speaker 4: Recipes in there, really really good.
Speaker 1: All right, So your cookbook is organized into from my last count sixteen dinner party category? Is that right? Sixteen to a Girls Night In? What type of party is your favorite to host?
Speaker 3: I mean, my kind of type party to host is the party that, like, you know, where it's just like relaxing. You know, we're we're taking We're just like you can come in your pajamas. There's nothing too fancy about it. But the food is just really good and the conversation and it's just about gathering people are on the table. Some of the parties that I love, there's a party called January because I feel like in January, we should all be gathering around the table, like everyone's alone, we're all like cold. Get your people together, make something delicious, have some comfort food, get people out of their houses. That's the kind of vibe. The Girl Night In is like a delicious steakhouse dinner. It's around, you know, February Valentine's Day, like get your girls together, leave your men at home, and and you know, have an incredible steakhouse dinner. So it's really just like they're all all the menus are themed sort of seasonally, but they can all be sort of eating year round, so you could just make one of the recipes from the menu if you want, like, you don't have to make all sick.
Speaker 5: So you know, Hi, I'm Terry Hatcher, and you may remember me as Susan Meyer from Desperate Housewives.
Speaker 6: I'm Andrea Bowen, though you may know me as Terry's onscreen daughter Julie Meyer.
Speaker 7: And I'm Emerson Tenney, Terry's real life daughter.
Speaker 5: And this is Desperately Devoted a rewatch podcast dedicated to the iconic series Desperate Housewives, with two actors and a writer, one of.
Speaker 6: Whom is watching the show for the very first time.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's me, Andrea.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine if I had let her watch it as a six year old.
Speaker 6: We will dive into all the behind the scene stories of Osteria Lane.
Speaker 7: And look at how the show continues to inform conversations about relationships, identity, and culture today.
Speaker 5: So, whether you are a diehard fan or you're watching it like Emerson for the very first time.
Speaker 6: We are so excited to welcome you back to Asteria Lane because we are desperately devoted to you.
Speaker 7: Listen to Desperately Devoted on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you about Emily Gilmore. Okay, yes, what category would you suggest she choose from?
Speaker 4: In Let's Party Gilmore.
Speaker 3: I think that she would like there's a chapter or there's a menu called Fishing for Compliments, and it's about sort of inspired by my upbringing, eating the feats of Seven Fishes with my family on Christmas Eve, and I think Italian Americans when they're cooking, they put the food down like you've got to compliment them, right, Like if you don't say, like, oh this is delicious, like you're in trouble, right. So it's about sort of like embracing sort of the host, and it's it's humorous. But I do think that the recipes in there feel very Gilmore are Emily Gilmore. They feel very like, you know, a full like piece of salmon that's beautifully roasted, and there's like a really delicious of fruit, so like you know all the seat cold seafood salad that has like.
Speaker 4: Muscles and shrimp and scallop.
Speaker 3: So it feels like I don't like fancy food, but I think presentationally that chapter there's like a delicious, delicate scallop pasta like I think you would need that, Adam only.
Speaker 1: So, so okay, you're with family, you really want to enjoy the meal with friends. Do you prefer to laid back kind of Lorelei Rory style setting or a formal kind of Friday night dinner, you know at the at the at the.
Speaker 4: Main definitely laid back.
Speaker 3: But I do have like a very like I like to dress the table. I like to set it with really fun items. I like to put like a random like you know, like ceramic piece of like sculpture that I that I have, or like beautiful flowers or like things that are like unexpected. I even say in the book, like if you don't have a tablecloth, you can use a clean bed sheet, Like just make something really beautiful happen on the table to feel special and like you put some effort in it into it. And also it's a great way to show people your personality. And I think I'm probably going more souky style if I'm hosting. Okay, slightly erratic, but it's delicious.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, give me one recipe of yours. And this is a really important comment here. Question great, Okay, Dan, I don't mean to put the pressure on, but here comes do it. You're a guy that can handle it. What's one recipe that you would add of your recipes that you would add to Luke's Diner?
Speaker 3: Menuh, I'm so ready for this, Okay, So I think I think it would be the gold rush wings, which are like a honey mustard wing. They're so delicious. Everyone's doing you know, garlic permeanon wings, buffalo wings like you know, like the classics. This is like a delicious honey mustard gorgeous, golden dripping wing that is incredible. And if not that Montarelli sticks. But I feel like Luke already had Monzarell sticks. I don't know, you tell me, Mmm.
Speaker 1: I think he might. I think he might.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean if he's in the Northeast, if he's in the Northeast and he doesn't have Motzi realistics, they're gonna burn his diner down.
Speaker 4: You know, I grew up in Connecticut and uh, you know, near.
Speaker 3: Lichfield and very similar vibes, and you know there's a lot of diners that they had montso sticks. They also had chocolate cream pie, which is another good recipe.
Speaker 1: In right, right, right, yeah, Okay, another big Luke's Diner question. Dan, I apologize for throwing a couple at you, but I know you can handle it. Dan Pelos. You're walking down stars Hall at Main Street. You're across the street from stars Hall High School. You turn around, you see Luke's. You're going in, Yeah, going in the diner. What would you order? Where would you sit?
Speaker 3: I would probably, I mean, like I'm a bit brazen, so I would probably try to just sit down with Lorli and Rory.
Speaker 4: And introduce myself.
Speaker 3: You know, like I think I would is fucking cozy up because you know, Laurel is a fast talker and so am I. So I think we would go head to head and I would definitely get the burger yuh.
Speaker 1: H, burger fries, shake, you get lack of white milkshake too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to get a few drinks. You gotta get the coke. You gotta get the coffee. You gotta get the coke. You gotta get a side of water.
Speaker 3: It's the classics, you know, I mean, what's better than a diner burger? I do love a turkey club, but I don't feel like there was a lot of turkey club happening at Luke's.
Speaker 1: You can get one, you can.
Speaker 4: You can Okay, we'll see.
Speaker 1: No, you be the judge. You be the judge. I mean, that's why we're asking you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think the Burger though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right. Where can people pre order? Let's party.
Speaker 3: They can order any bookstore that you love online or local bookstores. You can also go to Danpelosi dot com and find my book to pre order. You can find my book tour. I'm touring. I'd love to meet people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your grandmother, Nancy Pelosi.
Speaker 4: Yes, how she grandmother? That's so sweet grandmother. I think she's gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: There's there's no relation there right at all.
Speaker 4: There is no relation.
Speaker 3: Although I lived in San Francisco for ten years in my twenties and every.
Speaker 4: Guy I dated would pretend that it was my mom when we walk in to'd be like, oh, you know Dan's mother. Like I'm like, we're not.
Speaker 3: Getting a reservation at Sony with your likes, you know, But yeah, I have no problem.
Speaker 4: You know Nancy's she seems great so but now not really.
Speaker 1: Dan Pelosi, you are a superstar. Good luck with your book. We really enjoyed. Please come back on. You know you're gonna write more. Books. You're you're a happening guy. You're on the scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're going to need your book. We got to get your book. Let's go.
Speaker 1: You want you want what kind of a book do you.
Speaker 4: Want from you? We want the Luke Steiner Cookbook.
Speaker 1: You want that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, let me see what I can do.
Speaker 4: Let's make it happen.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna I'm gonna do something. Well, I mean, you know, if you say you want it, you got it.
Speaker 4: Thanks Luke, Thanks Scott.
Speaker 3: Sorry, well listen, I haven't called your daddy yet, and that we haven't gotten there.
Speaker 1: I thought that, Yeah, I mean I think, I think. I think with the ball thing, I think we're being We don't need you don't need to do that.
Speaker 4: It was it was part of that. It just it just like sort of slid in. Okay, you're the best. This is so fun. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, Look, please come back, good luck with the book. You're gonna do a little tour. You're gonna you're gonna make some.
Speaker 3: Appearances, touring around and going to ten cities and doing some dinners.
Speaker 4: Nice. You can't keep you can't get rid of me.
Speaker 1: You know, nobody wants to get ready. They need more of you. Dan, all right, take care and remember best fans on the planet. Uh and remember where you lead, we will follow. Thank our guest, Dan Pelosi, the wonderful Dan Pelosi. Will see him again, hopefully real soon. Good luck on your book tour. Thank you, and stay safe.
Speaker 2: Everyone dot.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.