Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and ever though in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up, China Tech on deck. We'd take a look at the latest from Beijing's tech sector, from earnings to chip developments and US restrictions plus more. Meanwhile, AI spending is under scrutiny, with Della Marvel falling after their earnings, and we hear about the SEC's vision for crypto in the United States with Commissioner Mark Vader later this hour. But first we check in on these markets, which are broadly under pressure in the United States. We're not so in China, and that's a story of earnings. Look, we're off by one point three percent on the Nasdaq one hundred. We are still questioning the overall buildout of AI infrastructure. It's lumpiness and what we heard from Nvidio. But we spill into what it means AI servers for Dell and in d Marvel.
Speaker 3: But I'm looking at the.
Speaker 2: Golden Dragon name there sist, of course, a reflection of big tech in China and traded here in the United states a lot of ADRs well thanks to Ali Baba's numbers. We're hired by one and a half percent by do as well, doing well as we understand that their tech stack is continuing to flourish as China really looks to find domestic competitors building themselves versus being reliant on in video for example. Move on and have a look though at some of the US numbers that we're getting out at the moment. And I say that on the back of real worries for in video off by three and a half percent today. Yes, their earnings we still digest. But actually news reports that Ali Barbara is looking at its own AI chips to be made by itself, by Chinese manufacturing. We've also got the story of Baidu. As I said, Marvell is off by seventeen percent as we see concerns about lumpiness with its own demand. How are we seeing Marvell's technology and ask chips not be picked up in this current environment. Dell is off by eight percent as AI servers look lumpy, and that's where we go. First, Region can break it all down on the Dell front. Now, actually they beat and they raised, but when you dig into the detail. AI server bookings were less than the previous quarter.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, if we think about the timing of these deals, Caroline, there was one big deal that went in and it's unclear who it is, but it's probably one of the big neocloud vendors, whether it's a core Wave or Xai. So it is going to be sequentially down. But if we think about it from a second half to first half basis, it's ten billion even a second half versus first half. So you know, things are going well for for Dell.
Speaker 6: In terms of these.
Speaker 2: Deals, things are going well, but many had perhaps baked in just numbers up and to the right in terms of the market valuation. What is it that investors need to hear in terms of clarity on margins in particular because there is a bit of a fierce competition between Dell's super MicroC computer and others.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's where the issue is, right. I've always said that being a leader in the AI servers is a double edged sword. What you get in sales, you know, you're not getting it in margins.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: It's a high calorie, low muscle building type of business. And let me give you an example here. The one point two billion dollar AI server beat only acquitting to two cent beat in EPs, right, and that's going to flow through with the with maybe modest improvement even with the additional five billion dollars in AI sales in the second half.
Speaker 3: Well, Jin, how it's been a very busy week for you.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining senior analysts lue Meg Intelligence. Look, let's broaden out because elsewhere in the AI race, the US Commis Department has just said it is removing the ability for Samsung, s k Heinez Intel to move some goods from China without a license, dealing yet another blow to China's access to advanced chip making nohow for more. Blue Meg executive editor Mike Shephard breaks it all down. Basically, this is revoking waivers that they previously had what to bring in the chip equipment to the country.
Speaker 3: Break down exactly what this means.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, Carol.
Speaker 7: The companies have received waivers from the Biden administration back in twenty twenty three allowing them under these agreements to bring in equipment to China for their massive chip making facilities. And most of what was produced there CARA were memory chips, and that's critical of course, for sk Heinex and for Samsung in particular. In this case, now it's under what's called a validated end user agreement, and that essentially is sort of like your pass. It's almost like you get a free pass based on this agreement and understanding and discussions with the government that is being revoked now. And the Commerce Department is saying in a statement accompanying the notice that was posted to the federal register this morning that what they're trying to do is deny to foreign chip manufacturers a benefit that wasn't extended to American chip manufacturers, and you mentioned Intel there. We have since learned that Intel has sold that portion of its China operations to sk Heinix, so it really applies only to the two South Korean companies in this case.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is in the statement, as you've been surmising for US, they said they do not want to allow companies to expand capacity or grade technology at manufacturing facilities in China. I'm noting that ASML shares for example, are down and they seem to accelerate their losses in the back of this new is a big chip equipment maker. All of this, though, is about the overarching competition that the US feels with China.
Speaker 7: It is about the competition with China, and then there are also is some push and pull on trade as well with other trading partners. And when you think about South Korea, Caro, the President of South Korea, was justin Washington earlier this week to meet with Donald Trump, and the whole question about the trade agreement and where tariffs would fall, just like with China, the questions about export controls and how semiconductor tariffs that are still to come might affect these two industrial champions in South Korea. When you think of Samsung and you think of s k Heinix, they are really at the vanguard of the economy there and that had to have come up in some context during those discussions with the US administration. And we have heard since from the South Korean Ministry of Trade. They say that they were warned ahead of time. According to jan Half, the news agency in South Korea, they were warned ahead of time bios officials that this would be coming down the road. Now, it's interesting if you parse the Commerce Department statement, they say that they will not be granting licenses to advance technology in China or upgrade or expand capacity, but it doesn't necessarily preclude maintenance or replacing existing equipment without carrying it to a new levels. So it'd be interesting how this affects you mentioned ASML, but also took you Electron and ASML competitor in this space of chip making equipment, and the impact of course also on the broader trade relationship likewise will be worth watching as well, Cara.
Speaker 2: Perfect context. As always, Mike Shephard, Happy weekend. We thank you talking of China and the chip innovation being forced to their men in many ways. Huawei just posted its first half profit, getting back into the black after deep Seek helped to ignite a wave of AI development across the country. Now Huawei has expanded into new areas, including electric vehicles, and it has restructured its cloud unit to focus more resources on AI and computing as according to Chinese media reports coming up it with China, Alibaba reports a surge and revenue. You guessed it from China's AI boom, But will it last? And let's look elsewhere in China. Byd we're just talking about how Pawei is getting into the world of evs. BUID currently off by seven percent now well post a shot profit drop as the price war is really hitting Chinese easy makers from New York.
Speaker 3: That's a blue leg tech.
Speaker 2: A lot of news coming out of Asia tech today, including China's warning against excess competition in the AI race. Meanwhile, Ai Chip Darling Camera con is one of its to its own investors of the recent run up in its stock. All of this as Ali Barber, the tech giant and one of the biggest names in global e commerce, reported earnings that saw a surgeon revenue, but it stemmed from China's AI boom. Blomberg's executive editor of Global Technology, Peter Elstrom, can help weave this narrative for us just starting with Ali Barber. It did incredibly well, but it seems to be on the back of AI demand rather than the e commerce to a certain extent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a.
Speaker 8: Pretty unusual earnings report. We just got done getting the numbers they reported. They actually missed on both revenue and nonprofit. In that case, you kind of expect their shares to be going down, not up. But what investors saw on this that was pretty positive is they saw the increase in AI demand and especially cloud services at Alibaba. So Alibaba said that AI related demand increased by triple digits, their cloud unit overall increased twenty six percent. That was quite positive for them. And then on the earnings call, Eddiewuo, the CEO, talked in quite a bit of detail about how their customers are using AI and some of the applications. They talked about automakers, for example, multimedia companies being able to develop these very targeted, customized AI models that they can use in their expansion. He also talked about agentic AI and the movement from chat pots to agenticai and how that puts even more pressure on the infrastructure, which is exactly what Alibaba does, much like Amazon, and that has resulted in a lot of demand for them. So it sounds very promising on that front. Just as we're talking, I see the shares are going up even more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three months, we're ut fourteen percent.
Speaker 2: Were up eight percent on the day, Peter and like Hamas, and there are reports coming from the Wall Street Journal that Alibaba's doubling down on making its own chips, customized chips, actually looking for Chinese manufacturing of those chips. The same time, camber Con which is seen as market valuation double in just a month alone, is wanting its investors to hold steady on some of the roomors swirling around how much China is leaning in to the domestic chip arena, Peter, can you bring that down for us? How much is China worried about the sudden enthusiasm around domestic chips.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's a lot going on in this space. Maybe a good way to think about it is that Vision is very determined to be able to get their own capabilities in AI and by extension, in semiconductors in particular. So Hilwei is really their leader in designing the kinds of chips that would compete with in Vidia in particular, they have their ascense ships. They have been used there not as good as in videos, customers there still would like to be able to get access to in video chips. Cambra Con is another company that's designing chips for AI that they are quite good. They're really focused on inferencing. They running the model, not as much training the models, which is where Nvidia really really excels at this point. And as you mentioned, Ali Baba is developing their own ships. Is very similar to Amazon, where they'd like to not pay the premium for the very expensive chips from somebody else if they possibly can. They want to be able to design them and then replace some of the more expensive chips that they maybe would buy from Huawei. In Amazon's case, they're paying premiums to Invidia. They want to have some alternatives in house that will be a little bit less expensive and also will just loosen their dependence and some of these chip makers not make them captive to whatever supplies they can get at any moment very much.
Speaker 2: The Chinese government not wanting a repeat of food delivery or of the ev battle that's going on, trying to restrain some of the over capacity that potentially might get built up. Peter Elstrom, perfect to have you today, Thank you very much. Indeed, happy week to Ken. Let's get back to those Ali Baba numbers and bringing Jacob Cook, co Farracy of e Commerce Consultancy WPIC Marketing and Technologies, because Jacob, we really let into the AI side of the equation with Peter Elstrom. But I really want to understand what about the e commerce flavor that we all know and love from Ali Baba in many ways, how has that performed for the Chinese domestic audience.
Speaker 9: Well, I think there was definitely some bright spots in that report. I mean, we were expecting reasonably good news after the last six eighteen the second biggest shopping festival being up roughly about fifteen percent. But when we look at the overall revenue of the company, I mean we get rid of the Turkish e commerce platform and a couple of their selloffs in the retail space, their revenue overall was up ten percent. So I think that's probably a lot of the really good news that investors are focusing on and why that stock is up so much despite the miss overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the miss was in many ways completely digested when you're seeing the stock up more than eleven percent on the day. Jacob, give us what your reading is on consumer sentiment on the desire to be powering into e commerce, because many would say it's not great, but you perhaps have different signals.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean on the ground we have seen we're well past the years of thirty percent year over year growth. I mean we're talking still fifteen percent growth in twenty twenty five off the largest already e commerce market in the world. Those are obviously incredibly good numbers for businesses and brands I mean the instant commerce too, which I think is also really important. I mean that's basically since April War attention was put on that now too, and I think that roughly by our calculations, they could be up to fifty percent market share, really starting to compete with the likes of Maitlon and whatever else. So it shows us the consumers good flicky the travel platforms and really good for them. And I think that when we look at that restructuring now and being able to get back into north of double digit growth, really effective strategies on how to compete with PDD, it looks pretty good in terms of their core business, their e commerce business.
Speaker 2: How does the flywheel work when you think about adding AI and the investment there into all of its other offerings that go direct to consumer.
Speaker 9: Well, the AI in terms of especially in terms of product recommendations and overall building a profile. And I think that's actually why the instant commerce was so such a big part of this. If you look at how full stack really that product did or the offering is in China, You've got everything from the C to SE, the B to B, all the platforms, all the purchasing is there, including the instant commerce and overnight delivery. They're really gathering just a ton of data and I think they're going to be a little bit better positioned than the likes of May twe and some of the others that are focused on the consumer because they're getting so much data. And yeah, there was really good news in terms of what they're doing with the AI models as well.
Speaker 2: Jacob, what you do is you advise global brands about getting into Asia, such as China and Japan and the like. So how are global brands accessing a platform like Alibaba at the.
Speaker 6: Moment, Well, they're doing it. They're engaging a lot more.
Speaker 9: I mean even you know, overseas revenue was up I think almost twenty six twenty seven percent as well too, and that's a lot to do with the investments that have gone into Singapore. I mean, they're selling a lot of AI services to companies too, and they're also helping to move a lot of products. I mean they're signed now Logistics Network is really helping to connect South East Asia too and to be to use kind of China as a hub, you know, with their bonded free trades ons of really just dumping your products into that market. You know, in terms of mass and being able to sell all over through the region. Now, I mean they also own you know, one of the largest platforms in Southeast Asia with Lozada too, so it's pretty exciting in terms of what they're building out.
Speaker 2: Talking of dumping of products, Jacob, we're about to have a conversation all about Dominimus, but I want to ask you about geopolitics. I mean, how has it affected Ali Baba and its ability to grow?
Speaker 9: Well, Ali Baba's probably been the one that's been I mean there's been a lot of news. It's not just Ali Baba, but I mean we saw the ten cent releases a couple of weeks, so everybody's growing. Everybody seems to be getting the compute that they need. The data centers are growing really fast, one of the top growing divisions, so it doesn't seem to be affecting the numbers. I mean, this isn't the first time they've gone through tariff increases. There was you know, the first trade war as well, and they've seemed to come through all of that. It certainly stronger. Who knows, maybe they would have been growing faster without these but you know, it's hard to see or it's hard to even think that the damage or the the let's say headwinds that they're trying to you know, impose with these policies having really any effect. I think what you're going to see now is these restrictions really start to get lifted. There's there's really no point and you know it's hurting you know, US companies, I think just as much as as it was designed to impede the Chinese ones. So I expect more opening up through the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: Interesting, so because you're your expertise so important here, because you're on the ground, you're understanding what's going on there, and from a US perspective, were seeing limitations to invidio an AMD being able to sell in having to give fifteen percent away, not getting licenses as quickly as they might like, feeling that they're having to give away the opportunity. Jacob, you're not feeling that that's going to be in long term standing.
Speaker 6: No, I don't.
Speaker 9: I mean, look at you know Quinn three, the coder model and a lot of the other models to it.
Speaker 6: They're keeping up internationally.
Speaker 9: So the lack of chips and the lack of compute isn't isn't hindering these models, you know. Tencent, you know, released a couple of weeks ago said the same thing. They have all the chips that they need, you know, and that the advance is that this has spurned domestically at Huawei and Shanghai Semiconductor have been really strong, so they're not serving I think their intended purpose. And there's really no point that companies don't want these restrictions on anymore and people want to do more business over there.
Speaker 3: But do they even want the chips?
Speaker 6: Jacob, That's another good question.
Speaker 9: I mean, how far are they now, how far are they developed in those two years out of necessity? That's a really good question. I mean, we're going to see developments and we'll find out. I mean, you know, Nvidia is not doing very well today on this news. It's probably not a very good sign for them. So hopefully those doors open up and they can get into that market asap, and that they're still demand, you know, at those price points compared to what's being produced in China.
Speaker 2: Jacob Cook, C of WPIC Marketing and Technologies, through an expertise in the region, we thank you. Let's stick with all the e commerce area because today marks the end of the US the Minimus exemption nearly a century. We allow low value goods recently up to eight hundred dollars worth of value to enter the country duty free.
Speaker 3: The change expected to have a wide impact.
Speaker 2: Set some pack with Josh Kettter, his global CEO of Spretail. It's an e commerce company specializing in logistics for oversized products marketplace management, Josh.
Speaker 3: Have people got ahead of this? Have they changed their business models?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Carolyn, I think a lot of folks have. They've known this coming for a while. I think others, though, were pretty stuck in the business model they had built, because they really built it around leveraging the dominamus loophole. So I see a lot of businesses who had been doing work to kind of prepare themselves for this, and I see others basically having to shut down their business model.
Speaker 2: Franklin, why would you have to shut down a business line? What kind of products or what were they unable to achieve to make it profitable for them?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think it's mostly the smaller sellers.
Speaker 10: So a lot of smaller sellers had they basically have to figure out how to do the paperwork in order to do the custom clearance and they're just not set up for that scale as well as they were really competing on the premise that they were able to transact at a much lower price point than the rest of the digital shelf, and so that gave them a competitive advantage to have lower price and now that they they don't have that, they didn't have anything else that was differentiated enough.
Speaker 12: In order to win. And so I think those are the ones who are really at risk here in struggling.
Speaker 3: The ones that have made it work.
Speaker 2: How much have they near shored, reshored, looked at other countries.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you see a lot of that. A lot of our brands have been doing that as well. I'd say our business model. We do a little over a billion online and most of our stuff is not demnimous. But the ones that we work with who do it, they've already been moving a lot of fulfillment onshore. We've been actually helping folks with that as well as they've been moving.
Speaker 12: To other countries.
Speaker 10: And I think really the news today shuts down the other country loophole. We already saw the impact to this from China back in May, and so I think the market already had a chance to see how that would play out, and now we're just kind of closing up the other port of entries and really forcing that more domestically.
Speaker 2: Okay, so have any decided to make domestically build in America?
Speaker 3: Are they building in Mexico?
Speaker 10: I think there's still a lot of near shoring with Mexico. I think there's a lot of brands that I talk with that are looking at what they can do domestically, but the labor market is so expensive that it can be really challenging to do it in a cost efficient way. I see some brands that are being successful at it, but it's a challenge and it's a multi year journey. This is not something that can happen overnight. So the real impact here is just raising prices, turning off certain products that are not yet ready. They don't have the sophistication to handle that compliance, to remit the duties, to even get the import bonds. A lot of sellers had never had to deal with that type of complexity, and so I think you see a mixed bag across the board. So what kind of products Josh fast Fashion is certainly one of the ones that are hit the most, but you see it across the spectrum. You know, Dominimus went from in twenty eighteen just a few billion dollars to over you know, sixty seventy billion dollars in recent years, and you see it across the spectrum a lot of hard good sellers as well, but most of it comes from China and the areas where you really see it as a consumer. You're going to see it on temuchine areas that we're really focused on importing those products through the diminimous loophole and taking advantage of that as well as Etsy kind of this the custom unique products that smaller you know, sellers and creators are selling overseas and then importing to the US. You also see those products impacted in a longer time.
Speaker 2: Do you think this will bolster your own infrastructure e commerce, own infrastructure in inside the United States?
Speaker 10: Josh, We've certainly benefited from it because, you know, mostly because we were not leveraging the dominamous loophole, if you will, We're playing by the rules, and I think almost anybody who was playing by the rules will see the benefit here. They're going to have less folks undercutting them on price because they're not paying the same tariff for duties that we're paying.
Speaker 12: I also see in the fulfillment structure.
Speaker 10: We've already seen a lot of brands and companies have worked on building more onshore fulfillment capabilities and moving those products here. So actually we're also going to benefit from having faster ship speeds because a lot of the dominimous loopholes will show slower ship speeds coming over from China and other countries. And now we're going to really preposition those goods and inventory domestically because there's no advantage to keeping them, you know, in the country of origin.
Speaker 6: If you will.
Speaker 2: Quicker, maybe a bit more expensive. Josh Kess Global CEOs Freetail. Great to get your ex tease, Thanks so much. We welcome our TV and radio audiences worldwide. The US government has begun distributing economic data on public blockchains, marking the latest Trump administration endorsement of the crypto industry. The move creates another avenue for publishing the GDP data. According to the Commerce Department officials, we here to discuss really the regulatory changes affecting the crypto industry after the crackdown of the Biden years. Is SEC Commissioner Mark Yuaida. We welcome you to radio and TV. And just recently Project Crypto was launched, and this really sort of endorses the initiative to modernize regulation, to make it fit for purpose for current innovations within decentralized finance. Are we getting enough clarity? How quickly might we know what tokens of securities?
Speaker 3: For example?
Speaker 13: We have a lot of ground to catch up. The last four years in the Biden administration, we saw a lot of effort to suppress crypto, at least in the United States. That was one of the things that the President did, I think was the third dayvid Iss administration, Jerreman twenty third one.
Speaker 6: He issued that.
Speaker 13: Executive order with the clear goal, we need to make the United States one of the global leaders in innovation in crypto and digital assets. That was why, you know, one of the things I did immediately upon becoming the acting chairman was to name one of my fellow commissioners, Hester Purse, who spent an awful lot of time talking to the crypto community, You're going to be in charge of our efforts, leader of our Crypto task Force, and that now under our new chairman, Paul Atkins has now pivoted into what we call Project Crypto. We are working side by side with our colleagues at the CFTC. They announced what they call Cryptosprint, So we're really anxious to get some things done.
Speaker 2: In terms of getting things done, there is a sort of favorite pitch of innovation going on, and a lot of that is to do with perhaps adoption of new ETFs.
Speaker 3: Around things I'm interested in.
Speaker 2: For companies tricycle, treasury companies, companies that are building up crypto as their assets, or indeed new ETF springing up. Are you comfortable with the pace of innovation as it is going far as fast or too fast from your perspective, Well, they are.
Speaker 13: Part of the innovation equation, so to speak, but they're just only a part of it. We've got a lot more to do, you know, with these companies. The SEC and it's ninety years of existence, has always been a disclosure oriented regulator. That means we don't we're not supposed to put our thumb on the scale of whether an investment is good or bad. What our concern is is whether or not you're telling the truth when you market and provide the disclosures with respect to these products so they can put crypto in their treasury. They need to disclose that, they need to disclose the risks about that they need disclose what their intense intentions are is in accordance with our rules and regulations. But there's so much more that we need to do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Important for those companies that are looking to be treasury companies, or those that want to put Solana, for example, or XRP or even Dogecoin in an ETF how soon will they know whether those two are indeed deemed securities or not.
Speaker 13: Well, we've already put out eight number of statements from our staff in the Division Corporation Finance which says some things are not securities. Now we are working on, as Chairman Akins said as part of his Project Crypto Kickoff, to provide some commission level guidance. What is and is not a security when it comes to crypto, it is tied up in a decade's old Supreme Court decision called Howie sec Versus Howie, And so whether or not it's us an investment contract, the good news is that it is what I do as a principles based test. Is it an investment in money and a common enterprise with the expectation of profits from the efforts of others. How do you apply that in the crypto space. That's what we're looking to do in the next month. Can't talk about timing, but what I can say is this has been part of the Crypto Tasks Forces efforts from day one this year is you know, we took a position which I objected to, put out many descents objecting to it, with this idea that every crypto, with exception of Bitcoin, which is what our former chairman Gary Gensler testified before Congress, was a security. No, we have this whole framework, we weren't applying it properly. Said we're going to do this. That was what the Crypto Tasks we started doing. That's why they held this series of roundtables. In fact, that was the very first roundtable was talking about what ought to be in and outside the scope of this.
Speaker 2: We're speaking of Marcubator, Commissioner for the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
Speaker 3: I'm interested.
Speaker 2: Previously it was sort of regulation by enforcement, and you said, you don't want to put your funb on the scale in this way. But how many crypto enforcements are ongoing at the moment. Can you tell us in terms of the amount of investigation still going. I know that for example, you unicoin is being sued for example, and that happened in May.
Speaker 13: We have a number of ongoing investigations and actions related that would say our cryptocrypto related. We have an offer a lot of what one might call fake crypto, which is somebody who purports to be involved in crypto, but it is nothing more than the types of Ponzi schemes and other scams that we have seen since probably the creation of currency.
Speaker 2: How many staffers are looking at forcement now compared to the prior four years.
Speaker 13: Well, what we've done is we still have a unit, although we've changed it from the cyber in Crypto unit to be more broadly focused on technology. We have an enormous number of tips, complaints, and referrals that come into the agency every year. In fact, I think we're on track from nearly forty five thousand. A number of them relate to crypto. So we deploy it staff appropriately.
Speaker 2: And you said you're working in lockstep almost with the CFTC. How is that relationship going at the moment.
Speaker 13: We've got a great relationship, and it's one of the things that was very important on the financial regulatory front, not only between US and the CFTC, but US with Treasury and the banking regulators about how to address crypto.
Speaker 6: You saw this with the.
Speaker 13: Resident's Working Group on Digital Assets they issue the report last month. This has been something that has been I think really all of the relevant regulators in the Executive brand char all communicating with each other and all coordinating with each other to make sure that we can make this effort successful.
Speaker 2: Now the SEC does more than just look at crypto, and I'm interested in at the moment, you're currently suing in a musk, and that's to do with alleged violation of securities law about when he was taking a significant chunk in Twitter, he had owned about five percent.
Speaker 3: In excess of and he was meant to make that declaration.
Speaker 2: Many would say he didn't do it quickly enough.
Speaker 3: He wants that suit dropped. Should it be dropped?
Speaker 13: Well, I'm not going to comment on any particular investigation or enforcement action that we currently have, but what I will say is, you know we have these scheduled thirteen D and thirteen G requirements out there. One of The key parts about whether or not you can file on a thirteen G is whether or not you are a passive investor. And one of the things that we did take action is and there are a large number of very influential asset managers that hold significant chunks well above five percent of a company stock. The question is what sort of relationship should they be having that requires additional disclosure if they're asking or directing the company and says you need to do the following things. For instance, on climate change, you need to hit net zero goals, you need to have a plan of how you get to net zero. You're no longer a passive investor that requires additional disclosures of some form because we have concerns whenever they're or at least just say Congress pass laws telling that we have really large shareholders more than five percent, which perhaps doesn't sound a lot, but in the real world that is quite a bit for a company that they need to provide the appropriate levels of transparencies of their discussions with company management.
Speaker 2: Well, plenty more on your agenda other than just the long case, and indeed, just ccrypto, it's been wonderful having some time time with you let you get back to the day job. Marc Veda, of course, Commissioner for the United States Securities and Exchange Commission the SEC. Meanwhile, President Trump is threatening so called substantial tower some countries that impose digital levees, just days after we understand that Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg privately raised concerns during a White House meeting. So also say that Zuckerberg met with President Trump last week behind closed doors. Let's get more on this with Riley Griffin RDY. Is interesting that basically lobbying works, it seems.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I last week we learned from sources that Mark Zuckerberg had come to the White House to talk about many things that have been on the agenda in previous meetings. As you know, Caroline, Mark Zuckerberg has been making frequent trips to the White House since the outset of the year, talking about artificial intelligence, European regulation. What was new here was the discussion about digital service taxes. These are the taxes that are imposed on companies related to their revenue generated from users abroad, and this takes place in France, Italy, Australia, Spain.
Speaker 11: And the lobbying did indeed work.
Speaker 14: We saw that Donald Trump, the President tweeted on truth social rather about these taxes threatening TARIFFSUGG just on Monday.
Speaker 2: Ronnie tell us the context of the relationship between Mark Zuckerberg, I met him more broadly with the administration now because it's a very different place than it was in the previous Trump administration.
Speaker 11: No doubt.
Speaker 14: Remember in the past, Donald Trump had called Mark Zuckerberg a criminal.
Speaker 11: He'd threatened to throw him in jail.
Speaker 14: This was some of the conflict that arose after January sixth, when Meta suspended Trump from all of its platforms. Since then, we've seen a rekindling of that relationship that really began in Earnest after the president was re elected. This past November, Zuckerberg has made frequent trips to mar Lago, to the White House, and he's.
Speaker 11: Donated to the inauguration via Meta.
Speaker 14: He attended the inauguration even co hosted a black tie event in the President's honor. This is an ongoing relationship where seeing Zuckerberg actually purchase real estate in DC. He now owns two homes near the Naval Observatory. They are all in and this is just the latest and greatest conversation that has happened between the two as that relationship continues.
Speaker 2: So Ronnie, in terms of impediments on revenue growth, is digital services tax the biggest one all mag Zocobug's agenda when it comes to things that could be changed from an administration's level, and or the other areas that he's concerned about.
Speaker 14: Well, remember Meta itself, it's the parent company that oversees Instagram, it oversees WhatsApp, Facebook. These are products that make the most of their revenue from advertising at users. So these kinds of taxes set a uncomfortable precedent for Meta. European regulation is much more concerning to the company than what we're seeing here in the US, especially with a friendly administration to Silicon Valley. So between the digital service taxes between other regulations in the EU around speech, Mark Zuckerberg has been quite concerned there. We're also thinking about AI and regulation of AI as the company pivots and really makes that perhaps the top priority of this year as it invests hundreds of billions in infrastructure.
Speaker 2: And I think it was President Trump and his cabinet meetings showing the Louisiana data center that Metro is currently building. Bloomberg Tech Reporter Riley Griffin. It's so good to catch up with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Now coming up, we take a look at the state of the secondary.
Speaker 2: Market as investors look to follow Trump's policies when it comes to their investments.
Speaker 3: We speak with them and jang a pitchbook.
Speaker 2: While let's just check in on some of the big movers of the day of the week in video.
Speaker 3: It's been all about their runnings.
Speaker 2: We're all by three percent now on the day, the worst week since May for the company, as we digest competition coming from China, lack of access perhaps into China, but keep.
Speaker 3: An eye on some other areas.
Speaker 2: Marvel Technology, it makes really specific chips for the likes of Amazon. The likes of Microsoft were off by sixteen percent as they were unable to really give clarity on the future of demand.
Speaker 3: Some lumpiness there.
Speaker 2: We're seeing Dell Technologies off by eight percent as there was perhaps slight slow down in bookings for their AI servers.
Speaker 3: This is Blueberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the now not so nascent secondary market for US startup equity. It's shifting as the Trump administration pushes an America First agenda in AI, In crypto and defense, Pitchbook data shows demands still outweighs supply investors eager to follow these very themes in terms of investing joining us now. Emily Jiang, senior venture capital research analyst at Pitchbook, Look, many people want to be able to buy shares in these hot, hot startups, and few can. But there is a secondary market where are people piling into and how Emily.
Speaker 4: There has been a really big concentration in the top companies, mainly because information is really hard to combine the secondary market. Venture is already opaque. So if you're looking to invest adventure and you're nearer to the space and using secondaries as a tool, you'll look at companies that are getting the most headlines, that are raising the most capital more recently. And that's why we're seeing such a heavy concentration. About over ninety percent of training volume on hive is in the top twenty companies, and.
Speaker 2: I can imagine that's the open Aiyes of the world, the Anthropics, the Androlls. If you think are crypto names that are still to come out. I think Gemini is looking at some sort of exit. Sixty one billion dollars in volume. How does that compare to the needs of say VC companies that perhaps one to exit certain positions or indeed the actual workforce of startups you want to be able to sell out and have liquidity on the secondary market.
Speaker 4: Sixty one billion dollars is notable, but for comparison, it's about two percent of primary unicorn valuations and it's about a third of primary VC exit value over the same time period. So what it means is that secondaries are a vital liquidity valve and have a lot of room to grow, but in its current state, it really only benefits the select employees and investors that have access to these top companies that are driving much of the volume.
Speaker 2: What about the volume changing around IPO expectations. There's reports in the Wall Street Journal that as soon as next week the marketing once again of Karan is going to start.
Speaker 3: I mean, what will.
Speaker 2: We see in terms of the hype around the secondary market if which this company is about to IPO.
Speaker 4: So there is a very strong correlation between primary VC exit activity and the secondary market. For example, when space and defense company Voyager when parlic Olier this year, immediately the secondary market looked at and Yryl, which is also a defense company, and they are trading at one of the top ten companies across multiple platforms, so there is this symbiotic relationship. And that's also because of this pricing transparency. Secondary investors are inherently different than primary venture investors because they have a lot shorter timelines. They don't want to wait ten years for an exit. That's why they're investing in the secondary market. So as soon as the IPO window opens and they're more activity, then secondary investors will probably likely buy more secondaries.
Speaker 3: Who are their secondary investors.
Speaker 4: There is a really wide range, but because secondaries have a lower barrier to entry for venture with shorter timelines, like I mentioned earlier, Also you're investing in lay stage, more mature unicorns that have proven business models. We're looking at more family offices, pensions, more non traditional investors. Mostly there's also a lot of venture firms that are either creating secondaries specific funds or there are already a lot of established players in the space that look at secondaries as their specific strategies. So there is a wide range of investors in the space.
Speaker 2: It is the tale of the haves and have nots when it comes to raising money. So is that this case in the secondary market, we're seeing certain companies and certain sectors totally overlooked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the companies that are really gaining the most attention is correlated with primary VC as well. There are a lot of tailwinds from key policy parties of the Trump administration, including AI, crypto, fintech, defense, security, and we're really seeing a lot of interest in that space through the secondary market as well.
Speaker 2: Lastly, IPOs, are we going to get a whole spate of them in September?
Speaker 3: Do you think is the window going to remain open?
Speaker 4: Window is slightly open, and it's more of a reset rather than a rebound right now, just because a lot of the companies that we are seeing filing for IPO are aligned with the Trump administration's key sectors, or they are incredibly profitable, like Figma had a really strong business model, strong fundamental So it's the tales two cities for IPOs right now. You have to be aligned with these key sectors or you have to have strong fundamentals, profitability, or at least a path towards them.
Speaker 2: I mean, Shang's great to catch up with you, I pitch Pock. We appreciate it. It's been a big week to say the least for AI investment themes. With earning video Marvel Dell investors maybe questioning the pace.
Speaker 3: Of the AI infrastructure spend going on right now. Maybe they're questioning Chinese domestic competition.
Speaker 2: Joining us now to break it DOWNINU Bak Intelligence senior analyst Manny saying money, let's focus in on what, if anything, Marvel is telling us. Because they are all about, you know, chips specifically designed for an Amazon or for one of the hyperscalers. The lumpiness has got people worried about if you can't win now, when can you?
Speaker 3: Is this just an idiosyncratic story.
Speaker 15: It sounds like they weren't as polish last night as we heard Jensen, you know, talking about the top four hyperscaler spending six hundred billion dollars. So I would put Amazon in that top four. But look, I mean, you will have periods of digestion. That's always been the case with data center spend. But the one thing I would call out is Jensen's saying data center market will be three to four trillion. Now, traditionally that's more like three hundred billions, So he's talking that market becoming.
Speaker 6: Ten x by the end of the decade.
Speaker 15: That's huge if that's true, I mean we're talking about durable growth.
Speaker 2: And so therefore, looking at Dell's AI server business and the fact that the book of the mount booked was half of what it was the previous quarter, don't worry about that because this is going to come and fits and starts.
Speaker 15: Exactly, and you have to think through twenty thirty. Because that's what he's saying. Every company will spend more on AI infrastructure. The hyperscalers will keep spending on their capex because there is so much demand. And look, I mean they're the biggest company out there. They have more visibility into what the supply is, what the demand side is. So if he's saying that and the use cases are emerging, the next vector I would point out is the cost site.
Speaker 12: So if Gemini is.
Speaker 15: Able to, you know, do a GENI use case at a fraction of a cost that OpenAI can, then that will be a durable advantage. And that's where you know, a company like Google that is vertically integrating with their LAM chips may have an advantage in the long run if you know, the LM performance matches at parody quickly.
Speaker 2: The Chinese giants are vertically integrating as well. Is there a worry for Nvidia there because the stock is down on reports that China's really going at it for domestic chips.
Speaker 15: And that to Ali Baba, I mean, we're talking about the largest cloud player developing an in house AI chip, and that's where you know, all the hyperscalers, if they decide to go in house, will have a bearing on the semiconductor companies, whether it's Nvidia, Marvel or anyone else.
Speaker 2: Broadcom in Vidia currently having its worst week since May at the moment of by three percent. Man Deep Singh has been across our network, I think, on every single show throughout this week. We wish him a RESTful weekend watching the tennis manage sing of Bloomberg Intelligence. Now that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. Do not forget to check out our podcast. You can find it on the terminal as well as online on Apple, Spotify and iHeart.
Speaker 3: Wishing you a wonderful Labor Day.
Speaker 2: For those that are going to celebrate on Monday, We've got a day of rest, so big thanks to the team here.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech