Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It was the Eagles, and it was all Eagles all the time last night with the blowout forty to twenty two, and even the twenty two is foe. It's really they could have named the score if they wanted to. They took out some of their starters and it was probably more indicative of a forty to six type game than forty to twenty two. A couple of touchdown passes from Mahomes there at the end of the game and mop up duty there, but the numbers are really overwhelming for the Eagles and how they dominated. And if you don't have to blitz Patrick Mahomes and you're going to put that kind of pressure on him. I've said many times you can have an average line and that results into an average performance by your quarterback. And you saw that last night. Mahomes was under pressure they I think the numbers were close to forty three percent of the time that they were pressuring him last night. A couple of intercepts there at the end of the first half, which I really think changed the game because I thought maybe if you get a touchdown, you get the ball back to start the second half. But it didn't matter that Eagles defense. The defensive line, and I've said this many times, you still win with defense. And you saw that last night. And you can go back to the Tampa Super Bowl against Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs, that was all about the defensive line. You put pressure on him, you put pressure on Montana Brady. I don't care who it is, they'll crumble. And you saw that last night. Jalen Hurts was wonderful. It's weird when somebody says, hey, you don't give Jalen Hurts enough credit. But Kansas City was going to force Jalen Hurts to beat them, which is weird. They weren't going to let Saquon Barkley beat them. They did a really good job, but they were saying to Jalen Hurts, go ahead, and he did so.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're going to hand out an MVP, that's one of those where it's really the defense. But Jalen Hurts, did you know, we'd like to give it to the quarterback. It's really easy. Hey, the quarterback is the MVP. You know, give it to a defensive lineman, Cooper Dejon Degene. We keep saying, Marvin goes it should be dejen Now. I don't know if we can change that, but you know we can start a campaign here, yes.
Speaker 4: Mar after last night, it should be with an apostrophe. Oh okay, d e apostrophe j E A n Hey. That's a big play by him on his birthday. Scores a touchdown and then Malmes throws so back to back passes. He gets picked off and you know, it's seventeen nothing. Maybe they go down it's seventeen seven. Maybe a little momentum, but you can't come out and go three out, two sacks after the you know, when you go into halftime, your halftime adjustments were what there weren't any halftime adjustments. I still didn't understand they didn't run the football at all. Now, granted, you know they don't have.
Speaker 2: A Saquon Barkley over there, but Isaiah Pacheco, when did you hear his name? Third quarter Kareem Hunt. I thought, maybe you do just a little bit like instead of trying to get something further downfield that maybe you have a run game, maybe you keep them how about three or four yards on the first play. It just felt like they kept trying to do the same thing. And the Eagles had a you know, a great game plan there offensively and defensively. But they were the best team that I saw. I think I said that after Week ten they're the best team in football, and it's because they're offensive and defensive lines. But Hurt wins the MVP. Mahomes had two interceptions, sacked six times. I think the goat conversation, maybe we'll hold off on that. We'll wait until next next season. How about that we just slow down the goat conversation, the three pete yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: After this loss, we're gonna have to wait about it. Three super bowls to get him in this go conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to make it real now. Yeah, he doesn't do well when Tom Brady's involved in the Super Bowl. I think we can establish that trend when Tom was playing for Tampa or last night as well. Eight seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. I do have the odds to win the Super Bowl next season. Just got these from DraftKings. No surprise, the Eagles are the favorite. You know, that's a young team, and they got everybody under contract for the most part, so that should be you know, if you want to talk about the potential new dynasty, it's certainly the Philadelphia Eagles. They've done a wonderful job with that team, and they'll be ready to go. They'll be ready to go again next season. The Chiefs and the Bills and the Ravens are all tied for the second best odds here, and then you have the Detroit Lions. All right, Seaton Poll. Question for the first hour the program is going to be what.
Speaker 5: Well it could start with who had the best night?
Speaker 2: Who had the best night? Yeah, okay, Jalen Hurts a great night. Yeah he had a great night. Yes he did career night. You know, how about Vic Fangio. You know, he didn't get as much camera time because he's up in the booth, whereas Spags is always dialing something up. I don't think Vic Fangio got credit for dialing anything up last night. But here's the thing, he didn't need to dial anything up. I don't know if he dialed last night. They didn't blitz one time, which is astounding when you realize the pressure that they put on Patrick Mahomes Hey. You imagine he goes in and Nick Sirianni goes all right, hi, Vic, you know you're a lifer here. You're one of the great defensive coordinators of all the time. Like, what are you going to dial up? You know what, We're not going to do anything. Wait, what do you mean We're not gonna blitz? We don't need to what No, I'm not dialing anything up. All that Spags dial some stuff up. Yes, it's also more fun.
Speaker 6: To say spags or monk in or something like that.
Speaker 3: Vic fans, though it doesn't have the same ring to it, so he doesn't get the leve on the air.
Speaker 2: All right, what else do you have their seat and other candidates here? Yeah, Josh Sweat had a great night for himself. Yes he did. Yes, he did a couple of sacks, but two and half sacks. Yeah. And by the way, people are gonna say, well, Jalen Carter got shut down. He had two guys on him. The reason why the other guys did really well is because of Jalen Carter. Jalen Carter is like a sponge who just absorbs all the water of the offensive line and then the other guys get to do what they want to do. I mean, this is the second coming of Aaron Donald and you saw that last night. Hey, I'll take on two. You guys go have some fun. Who else is in their seating.
Speaker 7: Well, you mentioned him.
Speaker 2: Cooper de Jean had a great night, Yes he did. That's an awesome play.
Speaker 5: How about Tom Brady the quarterback? Yes, yes, Tom Brady the quarterback had a great night.
Speaker 2: Yes he did. Yes, And I wanted you know, Tom said, Hey, nobody's rooting for Patrick as much as I am or something. I'm like, no, no, that's not true, Tom, That's no way, no way, no, not going to do that. You know, there's part of you that's like, yeah, getting ruffed up there a little bit. At least I didn't get blown out when I lost to the Giants or when I lost to the Eagles. When I lose, it's always a close game. Patrick's lost twice and he's gotten blown out both of those games. There, So I would say Tom Brady, the legacy, the legend of Tom Brady, did really well last night. Maybe not the broadcaster, but certainly the football player.
Speaker 5: Well that could bring us to part two of the poll question, who had the worst night? Why don't we start with Tom Brady the broadcast.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't think.
Speaker 8: Wow, there are two different people last night. There's two different entities of Tom Brady last night. Yeah, and they had drastically different nights.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I've said what I've said about Tom. I think he'd be better in the studio than he is on a game. You know, it's solid, but we expect more than just solid. See, we can knock Tony Romo when he says I don't know, Jim, I think they're gonna and then it's wrong. But I feel like he's invested in the game. I feel like he is really looking at the game as if he was playing in the game. I don't Tom reacts. I want Tom to tell me beforehand. That's really what he needs to work on. You know, Collins work does this, Troy does this, Herbstreet like you got to get out in front of it. We see it. I mean, football fans are as knowledgeable as any group. We know it, we see it. Tell me before it happens there. Tom did have one moment with Jalen Hurts when Hurts had a signal for AJ Brown, like that was great. They're just not enough of those moments there, and I could see, you know, when they revamp that you know, Fox line up there with Jimmy and Terry, that you could put Tom in there. Probably he would be better suited in that than calling a game. But he's got to get aggressive. You got to be aggressive when you're being the color analyst and tell us things and being excited about it and not waiting to be set up by you know, your play by play guy. Yeah see, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Kind of think that sometimes it's not so much that Tom Brady is so bad at it, but he makes other people look great who maybe he took for granted for a little bit, like Troy Eakman. I know, I definitely took him for granted. We're like, oh, yeah, he's just like the guy who does the games. But now I'm like, man, look how good Troy is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: He really has the ability in seven seconds to give you something that Tom can spend twenty searching to find.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, yeah, but see these guys. He's not used to doing this, though, You've got to get used to. When he played, he waited for you to ask him a question, and even then he didn't try to give you anything when he was playing. Now you have to give me something and you have to be out in front of it and be aggressive. And you know, it's just an average performance by him. There was nothing special. The watch. He was wearing a six hundred thousand dollars I know that. So that was special. And you know he and Kevin they looked freshly cofed, and you know they were ready to go into battle.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: Who else are you putting on that list? There?
Speaker 5: Seton, let's see who had the worst night? While Patrick mahomes we've covered that. Yeah, well why don't we start stick with the broadcast for this one? The Fox graphics team.
Speaker 2: Paulli Paully spent a lot of time on the graphics. I think you know, as an old guy, I'm like, all right, I can read this. I was it was a little too.
Speaker 8: Big for the sight challenge, Yes, yes, okay, yes for over fifty you're going, Oh, I can see.
Speaker 2: I can read everything there. It's not too cluttered up there. It was just a it was just a little too large. That's all. Just a little too large there. What else do we have?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's weird because there was like less to it, but it took up more space somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And the other thing, it's very dangerous to unveil your graphics during the Super Bowl. You have a mass audience judging you, and most people don't like change whatsoever. Even I it was decent, but they felt like bloated and puffy, like they'd been stung by bees. The graphics and they took up a lot of space, even though that was not their goal.
Speaker 2: I don't think what else do you have seen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's also not something that they just sort of whipped up, like, yeah, I take five minutes, here's our new graphics thing. They took a very long time and went over generation after generation of this one bug that that took. It took a while to do that. Let's see.
Speaker 2: How about Joe Shane h the Giants GM. The Giants GM, who got rid of Sakhon.
Speaker 7: B too soon?
Speaker 2: Even though the chiefs did a great job in shutting him down. He did because they wanted. They said, if we're losing, it's going to be because Jalen Hurt speeches anybody.
Speaker 5: How about your buddy Nick Wright?
Speaker 7: Oh wow, holl is his night?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 2: I text him. I didn't hear back from him. Big Kan's City Chiefs fan came on said this could be the greatest team in history, greatest season in history. I think you got to lump them in with the seventy three win Golden State Warriors and the seven Patriots who lost in the Super Bowl. But yeah, Nick probably didn't have a good night last night. Who had the worst night?
Speaker 5: We could throw in Taylor Swift on there.
Speaker 2: People want her Tata did not have a good night, and uh they were booing, they were booing. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: How about Drake speaking of people who didn't have a good night. That wasn't great for him?
Speaker 2: Oh dear, imagine not even be there and having a bad night. I think he's in Australia right now. He had to go as far away as possible.
Speaker 5: I had to go to the exact opposite side of the world and still came out run.
Speaker 2: He gone to the moon. And then when Serena came out, and then Serena dated Drake and I'm like, God, Lee Kendrick Lamar has not taken prisoners here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's something about Serena Williams crip walking during the Super Bowl. Halftimes say, as a petty way to get back at some dude that Kendrick is beefing with Oh, just god. I don't know how many worlds are colliding there, but that is something.
Speaker 2: Dang.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marv Kendrick's a psychopath. Hey, Serena one of the most famous entertainers of any kind in the world.
Speaker 6: Hey, come on stage.
Speaker 2: You want to Drake? Hey eight seconds?
Speaker 6: Are you in?
Speaker 2: And she's like, yes, yeah, And.
Speaker 4: They're both from Compton by the way, too, so there's that.
Speaker 2: Also, do you do you want to get on stage in front of I don't know how ndred million people and get back at Drake. Sure, all right, this is what you need to do. Because when I saw it, I'm just like, that looks a lot like Serena, but that can't be Serena. And then it is Serena, And then I'm going, oh, that's right. She went out with Drake.
Speaker 7: Sounds like fun.
Speaker 1: I'm in Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 2: So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved, to take your phone.
Speaker 2: Calls, chop it up.
Speaker 9: As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Cavino and Rich. Bill Kauer, Hall of Fame coach, super Bowl winning coach with the Steelers and now remember the NFL. Today on CBS coach. Great to see. If I would have said twenty four hours ago, how do you think this Super Bowl is going to play out? You would have said, what.
Speaker 3: The fourth quarter? Who has the ball last? Possibly? But clearly I did not play out that way. Total manhandling I think by the Philadelphia Eagle defense against that offensive line which has been a little bit of suspect this year with the Kansas City but Kansas front yesterday.
Speaker 2: Okay, but they don't even blitz one time in that game, which I just didn't understand. The first half adjustments or lack thereof, or at least the impression of they came out and they went three and out, and I thought, that doesn't seem like good, you know, first half or second half adjustments there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the biggest thing to me, Dan, they got away from running the football and you're going against a football team that number one, you know, I think the big the Cooper dejen interception for a touchdown. It's ten to nothing, You're still in this game. You try to get your footing trying to get a first down. You go sack sack, third and sixteen, and all of a sudden you get to pick us to pick six and again I think getting away and not even trying to run the football to kind of settle into the game and coming out throwing it when you obviously your offensive line which is not your strength. Again, you know, they've been able to get by with it. They made their adjustments late in the season and you know, and moving tuning out to left tackle. But this defense front the Milton Williams, Josh Sweat, Jalen Carter, they just manhandled the offensive line of the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. With running the ball, I thought, get three yards, get four yard, get something, because if they don't have to blitz, then I mean, what an advantage that.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the biggest thing we've seen with this team in Kansas City is they are a very good second half team and you get the get ball at the game into the fourth quarter. However way you need to get there. You need to minimize the differences in the scoring and trying to shorten the game to the fourth quarter, keep it within a score because you have the best kicker, You got a quarterback that can make plays with his legs, and this STI like this game got away from him very early and they can never get anything going on offense, and then they started to press, and I think that you could see that happening, and a lot of credit goes to Philadelphia. I mean, I think the Kansas City defense did a very good job and taking care of Saquon. But the biggest thing I always talk about is the attempts. I mean, they never deviated from the rush even though he was getting stopped. There was a great lesson to be learned about that they still kept running the football and kept that defense kind of at check because they had to play the run first. And I think that was something that they can look in the mirror say maybe we should try to do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what I'm thinking is they kept trying Saquon. Maybe there was going to be a home run in there. There was always the threat of he can hit a home run here, and they're sort of saying to Jalen Hurts, we want to see you beat us, and he certainly showed them.
Speaker 3: And I think that was what Spags wanted to do. I mean, I think they were going to take away Saque make Jalen beat him. But I think Jalen beat them as much with his legs they with talk, you know. I think that's the biggest thing too, when there wasn't the brushure and it wasn't the blitz and the four man rush. And that's the thing to me, Dan, when you look at this team in Philadelphia, they really don't have a weakness. And I think when you look at the football teams around the National FOOTB League, the offensive line, the defensive line, you have to build yourself there. And I've always said your strengths get you into the playoffs and your weakness is well is eliminates you. And I think that played true really for this Kansas City Chief football team. And a lot of strength to that offensive side with what they've been able to do with the quarterback. Defensively, I think they showed up again yesterday. But the one weakness that they probably had and they kept trying to toil with it all year, it was that offensive line, and they got exposed yesterday.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I look, the Eagles are set up here for the next couple of years. Like when you would talk about maybe a new dynasty Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: I mean give Howard Rosemand a lot of credit. Now they got three big key three agents you're talking about Josh sweat, Milton Williams and Zach Bond. These are three key cogs on that defensive side of the bone. But you know, you're talking about an offensive line that's still going to be intact. You're talking about sa Quand who's still there. Two receivers are coming back, Jalen hurts to me, and I think you go back to also going into this game, we kept hearing about the three Peak, we kept tearing about Steve Spagnola, but really the best defense in the league has been the Philadelphi Eagles and Nick Fangio, and so it's a little bit of kind of a disrespect card. I would think that was being played there, and I can understand it as well, and I can understand why we're all kind of excited about seeing history being made. But I think that also didn't play into the hands of the Kansas City Chiefs. I think for the philadelph Eagles, under the radar, underdog went into this game, played exactly the way they wanted to play it, and I think they used that to their to their benefit.
Speaker 2: He's Bill Kauer Hall of Fame coach, super Bowl winning coach with the Steelers. He works on the NFL today on CBS. The MVP last night, in your opinion, was who the defense?
Speaker 3: The defensive line of the Philadelphi Eagles. And I can sit there and say it was going to be Josh Sweat, but I look at Milton Williams, and then you can't take away from Jalen Carter because Jalen Carter is a guy, and he disrupts a lot and creates a lot of those opportunities for the other guys. So I to me, it's the collective effort of a defensive line when you can do a four man rush and get that kind of pressure and not have to blitz, and you can tip back their and courage and make them throw the ball underneath and play that zone. And those guys are great cut they're good tacklers in the secondary. To me, clearly, it was a defensive line of the field out Beagles.
Speaker 2: Don't you wish we could give the MVP to a unit like when Brady and the Patriots lost to the Giants, that front four dominated. There's been moments where, you know, the offensive line with the Broncos. When the Broncos beat the Green Bay Packers, that offensive line was unbelievable.
Speaker 7: I just wish we.
Speaker 2: Would go with a group instead of an individual sometime, and.
Speaker 3: I think it's got to be. The group's got to be. Actually, I think the individuals come with the skill positions. Because there's a certain skill position, whether it's a running back or receiver or a quarterback, they can have an outstanding game. Listen, I'm not taking away from Jalen Hurts because I think his decision making and he's been an integral part of that that football team all year long. Well, you talk about the two lines, they have to work and sync, particularly offensive line, they have to work together. This is the best offensive line of football. And we're talking about the Phildelph Eagles. So did they get stopped Yesterday's sake one to get it.
Speaker 6: They did.
Speaker 3: But did Jalen Hurts have time to throw the football? Yes? Was he able to scramble?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Was he sacked?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe one time, maybe hit a couple other times, but he had time. It feels comfortable back there, and he had defensive line. Like you said, I agree, two lines to me are units. The skill positions, positions are people. But to me, those are the units. And right now, I ain't no one has a better duel of lines than the Philadelphi Eagles, like you said, set up maybe for years to come again, a couple of key free agents going up there with Joss W. Milton Williams and Zach Bond on the defensive side.
Speaker 2: The push, tush, tush push whatever.
Speaker 3: Brother brotherly push.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brotherly shove. We we saw it on display last night with the touchdown. But I wonder, I'm I'm fine with it if I'm lining up and I'm going to do it and nobody else can do it this way. If Buffalo could do it this way, Buffalo would have been in the super Bowl probably. So I can tell by the grimacing of your face that you're not big on the shove here.
Speaker 6: I'm not.
Speaker 3: It's not a football play. It's it's rugby. They called a scrum. I mean that's that's what it is, Dan, It's called the way it is.
Speaker 7: It's a scrum.
Speaker 3: I mean you're pushing people and pushing them over. I mean, listen, if it's just a quarterback sneak, I get it. But it becomes like a pushing in the back and it's a scrum, and I don't know, it's not a strategical play in my opinion, so.
Speaker 2: Okay, how do you get rid of it? Though? If I don't allow somebody to push the quarterback from behind, would you be okay with that? It's just a quarterback sneak.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I do. I do. I'm fine with that. I when you start pushing and putting a guy in the middle, and I think that there's going to be I think it's a safety element to this at some point, I would have to think, because when you have six hundred pounds pushing on one person who's trying to stay in there to three hundred pounds, that just seems like it's a safety issue. But I yeah, if you can't. When we start a while pushing the guy forward, and I like, you know these late flags, all of a sudden we're pushing a guy eight to ten yards. That was never the case before you stop the play. I mean, the play's over. You gotta get stop. He stopped. The game of football is more strategic. It's you know, that's rugby. I love nothing against rugby, but if you want to get a scrum, you want to see a scrum, go to a rugby rugby match.
Speaker 2: Tom Brady's still the Goats, Joe Montana still second on that list in your opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think so. I mean I think that you can't say not. But listen, I think I'm not gonna take anything away from but Patrick Mahomes. What he's done in his career, where he's at right now under thirty and the number of Super Bowls he's been to every year he's been there, this is pretty impressive. You know, again, I'm not going to sit there and take one game and tarnish what he's done. And I think what he's done, he's carried that football team and there's been a lot of change that they had gone through for Andy Reid and that football team continue to get back to there. And even there was the injuries they had this year, and you're talking about Rishard Rice even being there the whole year, bringing in receivers. D Hawp comes in late in the season. You know, Kareem Hunt gets going to win, Cheko goes down, so and then you know, I'm trying to make the moves they did on the offensive line. So you know, you think about defensively, Chris Jones and yet that spag what he does with that defensive front and the different looks that he provides it's a well coached team. Patrick mahons, with no question in the fourth quarter as good as any quarterback in the National Football League proves that year and year out. So you know, I'm not gonna take anything away from him. I mean, I still would put him up there with Brady.
Speaker 2: What do you think the Chiefs do in the off season?
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, I think they they want to get healthy. I think again, they're going to still be the team to be. I think they have to address their offensive line. I think getting I think moving Tuney back inside with Trey Smith and and create a Humphrey that they had a dynamic treatam in the mid middle, and I think there was a comfort level that Patrick Mahomes had. They can take care of the edges. I think they need to get a left tackle that they can count on and on the edges. Is that Other than that, boy, I think they're gonna get They get some receivers coming back. I think they got their death. They're running back. Defensively, They're going to be fine. I'm not sure exactly where they stand a pre agency, but listen, this is a well coached team. They got some great coaches and they just did not play the best football game. I don't think they called their best football game coaching wise, on the offensive side of the ball. I guess he just talked about earlier. I think they gave themselves a chance, but they were just man handled by a better football team. The best football team of football won the Super Bowl this year. That was a Philadelphi Eagles. There's not a weakness they had. If it was that weakness might have been Jake Elliott. And he was knowing his things from fifty two yards yesterday, so he got things straightened out. And again, I mean, they're made a team to beat.
Speaker 2: To me moving forward, do you think Aaron Rodgers plays again?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 3: I think he wants to play. I think there's a there's gonna be a place for him somewhere I can. I mean, but you know, Aaron's like he's gonna go to his dark place. He's gonna come out. I don't know. I don't know. I mean, you ever know where Aaron's coming from. But I think if he puts his mind to it, I think he can still throw it. I think that you know, he can still move around again. It's going to be the right place for him in the right situation. I just don't think he's going to want to get run out like he feels like he got run out of this year for New York Jets. I just don't think he wants to go out on that note. So I'm going to say somewhere he's going to land.
Speaker 2: Could he play in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't know where they are right now in terms of their quarterback situation with Russell and Justin and Aaron. I think the decision has to be made, you know, what's the future plan and what is the plan in the interim. I think there's going to be also a sense of urgency and taking you know, some guys in the back end of their careers TJ. Watt Camp Heyward. You know, they they they're in the latter stages of their careers. They want to win now and that's a big part of what they want to do. But you also got to have a plan moving forward and at that position. So I think they'll be dialogue there. But those were conversations taking place in that building.
Speaker 2: Coach a great off season. Hopefully it's quiet for you travel. Have you got plans? No?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll hang around here I'll just watching you and see what you transition into basketball. Hey, listen, there's nothing like March madness. I really do love this time of year because March Madness is starting starting to it's starting to come around the corner here. So it's the best tournament going love basketball, and I look forward to that.
Speaker 2: So and your daughter's played, didn't they?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They played. They all played. Two played Princeton, one played a whopper. They all played college basketball. And I mean, a women's game has never been better. To be honest with you, it's at the skill level is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: How are you as a parent watching his daughters play basketball?
Speaker 3: Well, my late wife we used to go watch and play. She says, don't say anything about their technique. All I could talk about was their effort. So I was I was only allowed to judge effort and defensive if their defensive like mentality, so I said, just keep moving your feet, stay in front, But anything to do with the shot or anything to do with offense, I was not allowed to make any kind of comments whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Thank you, coach. We appreciate all time you spent with us this year.
Speaker 3: And I love love your front desk too.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dan, Thank you, buddy. That's Bill Cower, Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Devin mccordy, NBC Football Night in America analyst, three time Super Bowl champ with the Patriots. He was doing pregame halftime postgame last night for Westwood One. When did you realize this probably wasn't going to go as scripted for the Chiefs?
Speaker 11: For me, it was over with Zach Ball got that interception right before the half. There was a chance you climbed back in the game. It would have been a hard task. But once he got that interception right before the half, I thought.
Speaker 6: That ruined it.
Speaker 11: The Chiefs were going to have a chance to go there score and then get the ball after halftime and.
Speaker 6: Try to go score again.
Speaker 11: That could have changed the game, But I thought that interception kind of sealed it.
Speaker 2: Help me understand this, former defensive back. Let's say you were getting ready for the Super Bowl and all of a sudden, your defensive coordinator says, we're not blitzing at all tonight. Now, I don't know if that was the decision pre game, but they weren't going to blitz Patrick Mahomes. They had that much confidence. I mean, it sounds crazy, though, but they didn't need to blitz him.
Speaker 11: Why for me it doesn't sound great because we played in Super Bowl fifty three where that year, playing against the Rams, we were a heavy man to man blitzing, and we came in and they were like, Hey, not only are we not going to blitz a lot, we're not even going to play that much man and man off first a second down. We're going to give them a totally different game plan and if we execute it, they're going to struggle with it.
Speaker 6: And that's what we did.
Speaker 11: Now. I think Philly might have thought about throwing it, but once the game started and they saw what they were doing up front, it was like, why would we even think about calling a blitz. They can't handle anything we're doing with just our rotational four man rush.
Speaker 2: What should they have done?
Speaker 11: I thought Kansas City at some point they didn't run the ball early in the game, and I know it was tough, but Saquon didn't run the ball particularly well, but they kept running it, and then I thought you had to get to your quick passing game, and they never did that.
Speaker 6: They did a little bit of it.
Speaker 11: In the second half where they threw some passes, you know, very quick and trying to break a tackle.
Speaker 6: Philadelphia did do a good job tackling after the catch.
Speaker 11: But I thought that was the biggest issue with Mahomes and the Chiefs, that there was no adjustment, Like you can't sit back there in the pocket and do what you normally do, holding the ball, moving up, finding exits and then going making places. They took that away and they just kept doing the same thing getting stopped.
Speaker 6: I thought they never truly tried to adjust.
Speaker 2: Now. I know Mahomes is going to get a lot of criticism. Really it's the offensive line, and I don't think Andy Reid had a good game last night when you think about adjustments. As much credit as we want to give Andy, and he's one of the great coaches of all time, we got to be fair in just distributing, you know, criticism. The line not good. Mahomes as a result was not good game plan, not good. That's what surprised me more than anything. I thought when they came out halftime, and I agree with you, I thought it they'll score touchdown will be seventeen to seven GW into halftime, come out and make adjustments. You get the ball first. Now we got ourselves a game, and it never happened. That's that's what surprised me the most, exactly.
Speaker 6: And it was across the board, even on defense.
Speaker 11: And I know they did a good job of Saquon Barkley, but it also is like, well, the game has kind of defined itself that just stopping Saquon Barkley's not going to change the outcome of his game.
Speaker 6: And still it didn't seem like they.
Speaker 11: Ever try to confuse Jella Hurst give him something different. They did a good job with you know, Devonte Smith, a ton of motion in early in the play to see if it was man ors all, put him into the short side of the field. Just a lot of different things Philly did that I never thought Kansas City did on offense or defense, to try how to make it harder, to give him something new to deal with. It was almost like it was almost like they thought the same way we thought the way the game was going, like, hey, this is just not our year, this is not the game for us tonight.
Speaker 2: And also it felt like this whole week in New Orleans that there were a lot of analysts who were ready to get Mahomes at least right there with Tom, or to label him the greatest of all time because he was going to repeat Tom's legacy is probably still pretty good right now, would you say?
Speaker 11: I would say, and I know it's fresh in our minds right now, But to lose the way that they did, and for that to be the second time on the Super Bowl scene, a huge game, to go out there and really just get destroyed, I just don't think it was a good look. And we can't take away. Look, they went back to the Super Bowl three years in a row. Tom was able to do that too. He won two of them. They won two of them, so it's still something for them. But the way they lost, why, it's like fresh in our minds. We just don't see the Brady and the Patriots team. They never lost that way. They might not have got there, which I think that you could argue about that, but once they got there. You just never saw a game where you know, midway through the first quarter, second quarter of the game, we're like, well, this one's just gone.
Speaker 6: At some point. They always were able to rally.
Speaker 2: He's Devin mccordy won three Super Bowls with the Patriots. He works for NBC Football Night in America. I did think about this last night, and I haven't thought about this in a long time. Might have been the first time I thought of they really missed Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 11: Yes, there's no doubt because and you know, you could throw in Roschie Rice that we kept saying, you know, on this Kansas City team, there's a lot of holes.
Speaker 6: I don't really like this. I don't really And it was like they would play the game and you would be like, somehow they make it a game, somehow they figure out how to go. And Philadelphia was the.
Speaker 11: First team to say, you don't have receivers that can get open fast on us, you don't have the offensive line that can stop us, We're gonna go exploit and destroy it.
Speaker 6: And that's what they did. But Kansas City's credit.
Speaker 11: Is they were outmanned in a lot of games this year and it never really showed up because of, like you said, the good game planning by Spagnola and Andy Reid today last night was simply, we have better players than you, and we're gonna show that for four quarters.
Speaker 2: How should we look at Jalen Hurts if we do look at him differently after last night.
Speaker 11: For me personally, I still would put him behind those top four guys in Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, and Lamar Jackson. But we often also recognize this. Two times Jalen Hurst has been on this stage in the Super Bowl, he's been spectacular and outplayed Patrick Mahomes, the guy of this error who we say is the goat every single time the two times that he's outplayed him. So a ton of credit has to go to Jaalen Hurst. He has to be a guy that needs to be mentioned year in and year out. He's going to be in this game or have a shot to be in this game because he's proven that with this team, and if.
Speaker 6: He gets there, he's going to be a hard out for whoever has to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna be here. I mean they're If you're an NFC team, you're probably going damn. They're going to be great. Should be great for a couple of years now. Now these windows close, just as the forty nine ers, it closes quickly here, but they're set up. They're set up for success for another couple of years. It feels like.
Speaker 11: Next Sirianne felt it. You know, he got up there after the game and he said, Hey, Kellen, let's run this black and like that was the message of I know your name is being mentioned, and I know it looks like because this has gone off for so long, you're heading to New Orleans. But after being in that environment, he's like, what are you thinking right now? Let's run this back, Let's do this again next year. Everything they're saying about the Chiefs that could be us in the next four to five years because they have that kind of talent and a lot of young players. But you also got to figure out your cap as you keep winning, Guys getting new opportunities, guys want to leave, coach want to leave, so to have to figure that out if they want to be back in these games.
Speaker 2: Did you see Coach Belichick in New Orleans?
Speaker 6: I didn't get a chance to see him.
Speaker 11: I saw his guy Burrs from New ENGLANDUS to see all the time back in Newing, but I didn't get a chance to run into him there.
Speaker 2: He had all of his rings on, like who is this Bill Belichick?
Speaker 11: Now, sometimes you got to step out and remind people who you are.
Speaker 6: Put all the rings on, hit the red carpet, do your thing. That's what That's what coach had to do.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks again for joining us all season long. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 7: No problem.
Speaker 6: Man, good to see, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Devin, Devin mccordy.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: W app Lewis Riddick of the Mothership College Football, NFL analyst and former front office exec with the Washington and Philadelphia You don't get a Super Bowl ring though this time around, right with the Eagles. They don't give it to you.
Speaker 10: No, I'm good, but I'll tell you what they earned one last night, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: When did you know that this like the tempo of the game or the style of the game, that's the way it was going to be through the entirety of it.
Speaker 10: He got the feeling early on Dan that that Patrick wasn't quite on it. He didn't have his best stuff on the first series when he missed he missed Travis on a little zone route coming over the middle where he had found the zone board, and he kind of missed him through the ball behind him.
Speaker 7: You were like, Okay, he doesn't.
Speaker 10: Look like he's quite in sync, but you know, there's a lot of game left to go. And then I think in the second quarter when it was on the back to back interceptions on the pick six by Cooper de Gene and then on the Nick Mike Zach, that's when you knew that the pressure was really something that was bothering Patrick a lot.
Speaker 7: And Joe Toney didn't have it.
Speaker 2: They they they.
Speaker 10: Really had a very very very detail the plant as far as how they wanted to rust Patrick, and it was all about outside pressure, constricting the pocket, the two interior defensive tackles making sure you just push the pocket with power and don't give him an area to step up. And they were constricting that pocket so fast you could clearly see that when Patrick typically would step up and find the lane to throw the football like he's done all year long, his eyes had to be down the.
Speaker 7: Field and he would know where all five eligibles were.
Speaker 10: When he stepped up in this pocket, his eyes were looking at Worth's jail and Carter Worth Milton Williams. I'm not really worried about who's downfield. I'm worried about trying to survive this thing. But I think those back to back interceptions, that's when you know the game was over at that point right there.
Speaker 2: Okay, but where is the genius of Andy Reid here? You know, I know Mahomes will get a lot of blame here. They didn't do anything really different to counteract a defense that wasn't even blitzing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the problem was this.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 10: They didn't try to run the football against the team that wasn't really loading the box and was inviting you to run simply because they felt as though the fact that they don't puts a lot and they were gonna rush forward, that they would have five maybe six in protection, that they would be able to handle it.
Speaker 7: And they never really.
Speaker 10: Got off of that, despite the fact that their offensive line was shown we're not handling it. And they thought that Patrick would be the equalizer like he has been all season long, that he would be able to manage the pressure because he's so good in the pocket.
Speaker 7: But this was at a different speed. This is at a different tempo.
Speaker 10: And you know what, sometimes even great players like Patrick Mahomes are just don't have their best stuff then and he didn't have it.
Speaker 7: He just didn't. The defense hung in there, they hung in there, they hung in there.
Speaker 10: They obviously made a concerted effort to make sure Saquan didn't get going. And they said, Jalen Hurts, you're gonna have to beat us, and Jalen Hurts said, perfect, I'll beat you then and see and then what would wind up happening is I just think the whole team got fatigued mentally and physically, and so to the point where it was like the offense knew that we can't block these guys, and the defense was like, the offense can't move the ball. We're doing everything we can to shut down one of the best players in the league, but now we can't really rush the passer because we're in runstop mode, and it just all fed on itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of It's like when a pitcher doesn't have his best stuff, but he still goes out there and he's trying to fool you a little bit, trying to trick you a little bit, and then after a while they weren't fooling anybody. The fact that like I can't even give Vic Fangio credit because he didn't. He didn't do anything other than say to his guys, let's don't do anything.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Remember remember when Seattle beat Denver like that, when Denver was hadably favorite and gave out the Super Bowl that was up in New York. And you hear quarterbacks talk a lot about the fact that sometimes they get tricked in the feelings. Oh, you know what, this game is not going to be that tough because these teams aren't very difficult and Seattle wasn't very difficult to figure out from a schematic standpoint. But when you start playing, I mean, you realize that it may be simplistic in terms of its structure, but the speed and the ferocity with which they play it overwhelms you.
Speaker 7: Kansas City for the.
Speaker 10: First time since well, dang since maybe Patrick Mahomes became a starter in twenty eighteen, outside of the Super Bowl in twenty twenty when they lost to Tampa Bay, that's the first time I've really seen that team look overwhelmed, so where they looked like an inferior football team. Yeah, and that's what I mean. And Vic, you know what we were talking about old TV this morning. Vick was sitting up there in that box looking down at that field, going I don't need to send anymore. I don't need to do anything. I'm just gonna unlease my big dog and let them go. And you know what, when.
Speaker 7: It's like that, then sometimes football is just that simple.
Speaker 10: Bigger, faster, stronger guys who are more ticked off beat guys who aren't as big and as fast as from And that's what happened.
Speaker 2: Talking to Lewis Riddick of the Mothership, he was on the call with Chris Fowler Dan Orlovsky for the fans in Australia and New Zealand last night when it was seventeen to nothing and I thought, okay, Mahomes will get a touchdown, go into halftime, regroup, come back out, you get the ball second half, and then all of a sudden it doesn't happen that way. I thought, okay, what adjustments do you make at halftime? And I'm still waiting to see what adjustments were you going to make against the Etiens. I mean that to me, baffled at me more than anything I think last night.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they came out early in the second half of you remember, and they tried to run the ball. They got maybe five or six, and you're kind of thinking, Okay, well, maybe you'll try and mix it up a little bit. Maybe it won't be past past past, maybe they'll run it on first, maybe screen it on second, Maybe try and run play action on first, maybe screen it on first down. But they went right back to what they wanted to do, which they felt as though, and I look and I understand it.
Speaker 7: They felt as though they had enough cover, two cover, four beaters in terms.
Speaker 10: Of the routes that they had that if they could just get enough protection, Patrick would be able to find find a way to move the ball down in the field and score because he's done it to everyone. But the neutralize, the great neutralizer, the great equalizer was the fact that the four guys up front just would not allow it to happen.
Speaker 7: They just wouldn't.
Speaker 10: And you know, one of the things I always say in scouting, that has always been said to me is when you make two moves to fix one problem, it's usually gonna end bad.
Speaker 7: When there's a team that.
Speaker 10: Can really exploit the fact that you made two moves to fix one moving Joe Toney to left tackle and then inserting a backup and left guard. That's two moves to fix one that left tackle a premium position going up.
Speaker 7: Against a team like Philly. They're not gonna let you get away with that.
Speaker 2: They're just not.
Speaker 10: And then, you know, Teddy Bruski made a great point this morning, and I noticed it when it happened on the field, but Teddy articulating it perfectly. Remember when Milton Williams striped sacked Patrick and then you saw Jalen Carter basically just slap him right in the face. Yeah, and you well, number one, I was concerned that Patrick may have hurt his elbow because the way he got stripped, but it was a blatant hands to a face headshot from Jaialen Carter that to me said this team was ticked off. This team wanted to send a message, and the message they were gonna send was we're gonna literally beat you up because we're bigger, we're faster, and we're stronger. And that's something that Brett Feach is going to have to come to grips with. And I'm sure last night he was thinking, you know what, for as great as we've been, as many games as we've won, him, as great as Patrick is, the fact of the matter is We had a blind spot and maybe exposed last night, which is we have to have guys who Andy Reid doesn't have to be perfect, Patrick doesn't have to be perfect, Spags doesn't have to be perfect. We need more of that physical element that Philadelphia obviously has.
Speaker 7: And can rely on.
Speaker 2: We likened it to Mahomes. You know, he took a hit last night literally figuratively with his legacy. But it's like when Tyson got knocked out by Buster. Yeah, when Ronda Rousey got knocked out all of a sudden, that era of invincibility. Now we saw a little bit of that in the Tampa loss in the super Bowl, but this is one of those where, Hey, Mahomes, with the ball game on the line, you know that's who you want. That's too blowout Law in the super Bowl on his resume. How big of a hit do you think it that he took last night?
Speaker 10: Knowing Patrick, knowing the people who know Patrick like they do, I don't think. I don't think it'll be something where you know, like when you're talking about like a rounded Rowsey type situation where you know a fighter is on the decline or clearly they just don't have it anymore.
Speaker 7: Patrick still has it. But the cool the cool thing about this is that this is a.
Speaker 10: Team game, and clearly he can't get it done just all on his own.
Speaker 7: Twice.
Speaker 10: Now when he's gotten blown out in the Super Bowl and gott and beat up in the super Bowl, it'smen because dolphinsive line has.
Speaker 7: Just caved in. This caves are like unrelenting pressure.
Speaker 10: Think about Philadelphia last year, how they exited the playoffs and how you're looking at Jalen Hurts last year and you're sitting there going, this team's done.
Speaker 7: This team's not. They're not. They're not the powerhouse in Nancy.
Speaker 10: And in one year with the way in which they were able to fortify the offensive line, get sa Juon Barkley and a defense and change over the defensive side of the ball with Vic Fangio.
Speaker 7: Next thing you know, Jalen Carter's becoming absolute freak.
Speaker 10: And they get two rookies like Quinnon Mitchell and Cooper Disine and now they're looking like a team. Like people are going, well, they're never gonna lose again. They're never gonna lose again.
Speaker 7: They'll be able to fix this.
Speaker 10: But Brett has to go to work and it can't just be about Andy's genius in Patrick's you know, ability to always pull it out in the end, which we've all become kind of drunk with. We've all become like this intoxicated by because the guy is a once in a generation player. But what he's showing you is that this is still the ultimate team game. And when you brough up against a team that's evenly matched or even better than you physically, all the schemes and plague falls and shovel passes and they'll look passes in the world ain't gonna work because football still, like what Bill Parcels and Belichick and every other old school coach talks about, it's about imposing your will in another person.
Speaker 7: And Philly imposed their will on Kannessey last night to the point where.
Speaker 10: It looked like eighty five Bears versus New England Patriots in that same stadium.
Speaker 7: It was like, you have no shot, you can't even move the ball. I mean, it was unbelievable. I was I wasn't all.
Speaker 10: I mean my jaw was hitting the floor sitting there, going they can't they can't do anything. That is not how any of us thought that would happen. Besides maybe the people in Philadelphia in that locker.
Speaker 2: Room, Lewis, they poured the gatorade with three minutes left. That has to be about the earliest gatorade point. If that was a fight a heavyweight, they would have stopped that. They no doubt they would have stopped hit in the third quarter and they would have said, no, no, no. Most curious uh player decision in the off season with anybody, whether it's Russell Wilson or Sam Arnold or Aaron Rodgers, who who or what are you most curious about in the off season?
Speaker 10: I'm curious about really you know about Let's see, where does Miles Garrett end up? And thus Cleveland actually let him go? Do they actually say you know? Because you know, obviously Andrew Berry has said that he's not a guy who I want to trade. I'm not gonna trade him. But where does he go? And does he Is he a missing piece for a team? Is he a missing piece for a team like Detroit?
Speaker 7: Is he a team? Is he a guy who like a team like Kansas City?
Speaker 10: Quite honestly, they need a guy like that, they need a closer like that.
Speaker 7: Where does he wind up going?
Speaker 10: Because outside a quarterback premium pass Russers who are like on the verge of doing historic things, rushing the past, or don't hit the market, they usually don't get moved. And so Miles is going to be one of the biggest stories of the all season and the only reason why it's probably not bigger is because of the fact that he plays for Cleveland right now, and nobody cares about Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you worked in the front office of two NFL teams. Yeah, if you worked in the Browns front office, you're the GM. And Miles Garrett says he wants to be traded, knowing what you need for your team, and but you don't want to be the guy who traded him away. What would you do with that situation?
Speaker 10: That situation has so many other tentacles because you know, I just get to feeling Andrew Berry's not doing anything in a vacuum and he's being told what to do. But I would strongly suggest to the people who ultimately make that decision, if it wasn't just all mine on my own, I would say, hey, look.
Speaker 7: We need to consider moving him, okay, because we need a lot, we need help.
Speaker 10: And as much as that sucks, because he's one of the greatest players in the history of this franchise. We have to move him, and it's why, honest I would I would then want to have another conversation, Dan, which is, how have we gotten to the point where a guy who we drafted and we developed here in house, who was beloved in Cleveland all of our fan base can't blame that, They don't blame him.
Speaker 7: They would say they would want out too.
Speaker 10: How we How have we gotten to the point where our best players don't want to stay here anymore? Like that's that's an even bigger issue for them that I don't know. Maybe Jimmy has them, wants to have those conversations, Maybe he doesn't, but he needs to because if he doesn't, good luck getting a new stadium. Good luck getting you know, good luck getting that fan based to rally behind you when you're alienating a guy who is truly, you know, one of the best pass rushers that this game has ever seen.
Speaker 2: Safe travels back. Thanks for joining us the entire season. Always a pret your insights.
Speaker 7: Of course, man, you bet anytime.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's Lewis Riddick of the Mothership