Speaker 1: Warning, today's episode can need spoilers for Spider Man Brand New spoiler spoiler spoilers. We're gonna be discussing the movie and it's full splendor, including all the spoilers, So be worn, be owned. Hello, name is Jason stept On and on Mersday Night, and welcome back to Ta Vision, the podcast where we dive eat in to your favorite shows, movies, comments and pop culture are coming to you.
Speaker 2: From iHeart, where we are.
Speaker 3: Bringing you three episodes a week, Yes Saturday. In today's episode, We've been patient. You've been patient. Other people didn't respect your time and wait for you to go and see the movie, but we did, and that is why right now we are going to have a spoiler filled roundtable discussion. We know more if you have probably seen it at least once, maybe twice if you're in our discord now, but it is going to be full of spoilless, huge story spoilers, huge character spoilers, So be wet. We are going to bring in Joel and Aaron to fill out the roundtable and Jason is going to Spidery swing us through this incredible movie.
Speaker 1: Spyder around brand new day, historic box office opening well Rosie. You and I predicted what the box office would be, and we thought we were on the high end, and it became clear by Friday afternoon that we were going.
Speaker 2: To be on the low end. The question was how low.
Speaker 1: We're now looking at a massive sub billion dollar opening weekend global, so huge, huge dollar amount. It's actually fucking crazy. The movie's out, lots to talk about. Let's welcome for this roundtable super producers Joel and Aaron to the program. Joel, how are you.
Speaker 4: Ready to talk about this movie? Guys?
Speaker 5: I had big feels. I stand a new white man. This is a rare curR. We're just here.
Speaker 3: Crazy crazy times. She's not the only one, guys, It's happening all over thought.
Speaker 1: Yes, Aaron, welcome to the program. How are you?
Speaker 2: Thank you? I'm great. I'm really curious to know which white man it is because I feel like there are two possible choices.
Speaker 6: Okay, woa wow that Breadthall as Spider Man Brunhaal.
Speaker 1: We are approaching peak Burnhall. With the recent viral videos showing John Berthall. It would appeared to be the West fourth Street cages. I couldn't it looked like West fourth Street, but I might be wrong hooping' with just people in the area. It's like the Marvel universe is real, becoming Spider Man off the real world.
Speaker 3: Ironically, with the way he's interacting with his friendly Namehood to give.
Speaker 5: Logan has to join him out on that basketball court and recreates. And that's the ninety seven scenes.
Speaker 3: Yes, I also want to say, like we will get into it more, but I mean burnhaal.
Speaker 7: We all know how I got complicated feelings.
Speaker 3: But goddamn, Aaron, you're not wrong, Like he makes a good argument to become a Bernhall stand in this Rewatching it last night with my nephew. Their chemistry is unbelievable. I was balling way more than I was the first time.
Speaker 1: It has come to my attention that Bernhall on some film that they were the Tom and he were working on together, that Bernhall was the one who likes filmed better than that Tom's Tom Spider Man.
Speaker 3: On this tape, Tom filmed, Franks for Tom filmed, but John's for Punisher. So they've had this unbelievable journey together. And not just that, it was actually John who told Tom to backflip into the scene and also make us stand out and then he also was the one who came up. Because this video is very viral, It's been watched many times. John was the one who randomly threw his boot at him so that he could pretend you know, wow, I think this is to see them together like this. I'm not sure if you guys have watched the Hot Ones video yet. Yeah, but yes, I saw a great tweet that somebody did. I think it was actually a thread or whatever, but it was, like she said, you know, there's something about seeing men be really emotionally vulnerable while they're in physical pain that really does it for me. That video is pure that like they're they're telling each other their favorite things about each other and that what they've seen each other grow over the last ten years while just like crying in agony.
Speaker 7: It's delightful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like usually you only get that kind of uh content in an episode out of Summerhouse when the party has ended and they're draining the last of their lover boy hard self exactly.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, Jason. It was some real emotional reality TV situation.
Speaker 1: Let's start here, because it's been much theorized. Who cities think was playing I think let's just it was quite click. Let's finally rip the band up like she is Jane Gray. When she said it, there was a ripple of excitement that went through my audience.
Speaker 3: For sure, people were like it was awesome. They I think, was all that too, like they say Geene Elizabeth Gray. I was not one hundred percent sure they would fully just commit like that. But yeah, our press screening was kind of crazy. The weird thing was when I saw it in Orlando last night, nobody reacted like nobody knew who she was, but they still loved the movie, you know. And I think that's the kind of big crossover thing is for fans. That means something For people who had just randomly watching in a CityWalk universal, they just thought it was a cool character.
Speaker 1: Now, in our discord, there has been some conversation about, and I've seen online some conversation too from various comic critics and stuff saying, well, that's nothing like what Gene is.
Speaker 8: Like.
Speaker 1: Gene is a warm and caring and generous character. This Gene is like killing, throwing people into the street to be run over by truck.
Speaker 7: Sorry, and.
Speaker 1: This, that and the other. So I wanted to ask what our feelings are about this depiction of Jean Gray and her powers.
Speaker 7: Rosie, thank you, Jason.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you because I have many feelings about this. I thought this was actually stunning. I got to tell you. Look, we've seen Jean Gray brought to life so many times on screen, right, We've seen the Phoenix.
Speaker 7: We've seen these.
Speaker 3: Huge kind of cosmic powers where she has no agency. We've seen Charles controlling her. There is a line in this movie where Jeene says, the only one who will wheel this power will be me, and that is what this is about. It is about Jane finding way to subhass And also, look, do do psychics in the Marvel Comics universe use their powers like this?
Speaker 7: Like this is not really a gene power.
Speaker 3: I understand that, but I thought the way that they adapted it and suggested it made a lot of sense, like the hopping into people's heads very specifically. People are like, well, maybe that isn't it, But I thought here they did a great job of explaining it.
Speaker 7: I didn't mind that they made Sarah a mutant that in.
Speaker 3: The comics she's a Gene's sister, but she's like a human who's really pro mutants, but she does get killed. But I think, really it's all about Sadie Sink and she sold this to me, and also I'm sorry. And even my twelve year old nephew he said the same thing to me last night that I thought the first time I saw this movie. If you have a sister, if you have a sibling, gene doesn't go too hard. I would do this shit in a fucking second. I don't give a shit. You fucking take my little sister and you fucking start doing experiments on her. Sorry, I'm a teenager and I've got psychic now. Is like the people in the MCU like they go, oh, how is she redeemable?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 7: Excuse me?
Speaker 3: That's well years Brody killed so many people, and you fucking.
Speaker 1: Can we just can we just as a group put a put a body count on it. She she freezes some section of the city that's like maybe.
Speaker 7: It's a komita around so.
Speaker 1: There's probably like a million and a half people in there. You would assume that maybe some of them who had underlying conditions didn't make it in any it's yeah, in the in the car craw in the car chase across the city.
Speaker 3: That's definitely the one guy that she just kills.
Speaker 1: It's just let's just put an estimated body count. Jean Craig, Jean Gray killed how many people estimated by extra.
Speaker 4: Five and twelve.
Speaker 7: I was gonna say, I'm going on the low end.
Speaker 3: I think it's actually kind of low because the power is immense when she's in when she has them in the bubble, and I think I will say, here, you know they're in the bubble for like, and you know what sells how powerful the bubble is. It's Zendaya's fucking amazing acting. Glada Boo is not here to counteract me because when she one one fucking tear rolling down her face.
Speaker 7: When I watched that last night in.
Speaker 3: The front row as twelve year old water stick kids will want to be, I was really looking at her like, oh my god, this picture's face acting like crazy.
Speaker 1: He was laughing, he was laughing.
Speaker 7: He was like, awful, I'm so glad she's crying.
Speaker 3: I think Jean's powers are like immense and terrifying in the same way that start witches are.
Speaker 7: But like, I think it's five to twelve at the most.
Speaker 1: I think Joel, you're right, Okay, twelve, Yes, Joelle, your thought any thoughts about Jean Gray? Do you have any issues with her depiction?
Speaker 5: No, I really enjoyed this Jean Gray for a couple of reasons. One, I think getting into like what are the mutants and what makes them different? And like challenging, like to set it off here like hey, your your family could get kidnapped off the street and experimented and disappeared and killed. Wow, super relatable, some stuff happening, kind of important. I think like starting off on a darker edge for the mutants is smart. I think teenagers are notoriously reckless, and I think if you've been abandoned and aloneer tend to be more reckless. So this makes sense. And then for the power set and how it works, you know, I just think they had to find a way to visualize it. It can't just be the two fingers to the head all of the time we've seen it. People are kind of done with it. She's not bending and moving metal and stuff, So to do it with this sort of like these dancers in the movement. I thought the movement was really effective sense of like distance and stuff. So yeah, No, I I loved it. I thought that worked really well.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited.
Speaker 5: I'm glad this is Arjane Gray. I think it brings up a lot of casting questions on what the future of the X Men are going to look like, how is that going to work out? But I'm excited to like figure it out and it feels like it's in good hands.
Speaker 4: I like this characterization of her.
Speaker 2: Aaron. Yeah, I want to go back, Jason to your question about numbers here. I will say making it Roosevelt Island was a choice. There is very close by New York Presbyterian, Uh, just across the water, so that hospital is close. Why didn't they make this Governor's Island? That would have been pretty hospital free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Stratton Island is chose, but that would probably all be like that's fine.
Speaker 2: Like another reason for it in the universe joke about Staten Island if they did something there. I love that. I was so I think I said this in one of our preview episodes. There was so much smoke about Sadie being Jean that I was going to be like sick to my stomach if she wasn't Jane, because at this point it just felt like she had to be. I think Sadie is an incredible actor, and I think she has done so much stuff on stage, Like I don't think she was used to her vulabilities and stranger things, especially the most recent season when she was, you know, barely waking up from coma. But she was so good here and I thought, just her like one on one with Metzger at the very end where she is clearly going through it, and then she's talking to Peter and looking back at Metzger and then she does the scene with Aunt. May you see like this huge range for her and her do a complete one eighty in terms of like her mindset around things, and I think she handled it incredibly well. Now I appreciate a new take on Jean Gray that is not the same that we get in every animated series where she is a very calm and demure like she's like the most she gets the den mother of the ex righte yes, and I like getting her a little spunkier right now. So I'm I'm really into this to be the.
Speaker 4: Best Dead Mother's wild teenage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well exactly, they evolved into really do Dead Mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, My, I did not have a problem with this at all. My answer to this is that our interpretation of who Jane Jean Gray is as a character. Yes, is very different from this person, but also that's after spending her whole life with the X Men, finding her found family, fighting and learning and living and loving with all of them. And you know, like Logan before the X Men was a legit psychopathic murderer, serial killer who probably killed I don't like freak of number five thousand people at least, and so it makes sense that she would be. And in fact, I want this younger version of the X Men, whether we can talk about some of the rumored casting us been bubbling up, I want this roup, this younger version of the X Men, to be more militant, angrier, like using their powers. Maybe they killed people, maybe they didn't. I'm not going to make excuses for that. But to your point, Rosie, like how many people did Tony start before he even came on?
Speaker 2: Just killed?
Speaker 4: It's part of it.
Speaker 1: And it absolutely makes sense to me that Jean Gray would be furious, lashing out, angry, And it makes sense that a Jean Gray who doesn't maybe her sister Sarah's powers manifested that way. And if you know, if you're not learning how to use the what your power You don't know what the full breath of them are. You're going to take your steps in the way that you have been showed how to take those first steps. So the fact that her, whatever her power set like, looked like Karma from the mutant's power set or any other number of possessive telepaths does not That doesn't bother me at all.
Speaker 3: Jason, can I ask you a kind of follow up on that, right, which is like, we really get to see here as well, this kind of visual evolution of that moment of when a teenager's powers kind of explode, where we get to see Jean's braid.
Speaker 7: How did you feel like that was? Because I thought that was such a cool thing that we looked cool.
Speaker 3: It was amazing right to see how brain waves kind of evolve and see how she came into power and that's obviously not even the peak of her power.
Speaker 1: She's still Yeah, it was very exciting, and it also made me think like when they eventually do Avengers versus X Men, and I guess you know, it seems like some of Doomsday might have that folks. The X Men wash eve every every time.
Speaker 3: The potatoes, Babe potato small they.
Speaker 1: Have like five or six regular members who can solo the Avengers.
Speaker 9: Likes a question, I mean, and Gene is among the geyl Gene like they the evolution can take the Hulk entirely.
Speaker 7: Literally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they need, they really need to resurrect Scarlet Witch quickly.
Speaker 7: And I have to say another.
Speaker 3: Another thing I have to say that I think they did well here is this is one of those kind of like you know, history rhymes or history echoes or whatever we'd always said, like Scarlet Witch was very Jean Gray Phoenix coded.
Speaker 7: I actually think the way that they kind.
Speaker 3: Of echoed one division here and echoed the way Wonder's powers worked is actually really interesting and cool. And I think that there is going to be more of a conversation around mutations. What does it mean to be a mutant, because remember when we first met Scarlett and Pietro, they were in a kind of thing being tested on with these mutative powers. We get the hints here of Peter being able to push Gene out because he is going through a mutation.
Speaker 7: So I think we might finally we never really explained that.
Speaker 1: Let's let's unpack that in a bit, because.
Speaker 3: But like I think there's this idea basically that the movies might be being a bit more free and loose with the idea of what a mutant is, whereas in the comics it was always very specific. Even though Peter was mutated, he was not seen as a mutant because he did not have the ex gene.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: But in this world post k Kamala, post this version of Peter, with these implications about different ways powers work, I think it's going to be a little bit more loose, and I'm very interested to see how they play on that.
Speaker 1: I don't this is a good conversation. Yeah, but two things. First of all, it's very important, just to add on what I said before, it will be very important that the mutants who were introduced to eventually become X men or not are very angry because there needs to be a conflict between Charles's way or Magneto's way, which and it needs to be like a genuine toss up. Like I don't know, Magneto is kind of making sense when he says, let's just crash a fucking let's crash the moon into the US, Like when he says something like that, like it's young Scott, and what you know, young gene and some of these other young mutants need to be like I see where he's coming from, but I can't let him do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I think that's very important.
Speaker 1: And to your point, I think that you know where I'm hoping they go with it. And I wonder what everybody thinks as mutants develop their own like community, which it seems like they're they've laid the tracks for that in Brand New day, certainly with the just like the way they're being treated by society, and you're already seeing anger pop up and the fact that there is this government program to neuter people with powers. I think that there's going to be like you could see a World five six sequels from now where there's some hardcore mutants, you know, the Exodus or like who are like Peter Parker's secondary mutation. He's not a mutant.
Speaker 4: He took he took.
Speaker 1: A chemical I'm saying it got powers, and then he's not a natural mutant. He can't live on Krakoa. I don't know what do you, Joelle, what do you think does does does Peter have his Crocohan passport? If we ever do the island.
Speaker 5: No, especially if they can track the tech that controls the inspect.
Speaker 1: To wagg we were right about that. We called that one a long time ago when we first saw the dampener that Rispanner wears in the trailer that they were gonna that was going to be the tech that they used to control mutants in their future mutant concentration camps.
Speaker 2: Yep. The only reason I think they might not do that storyline with the mutants is they sort of did that a little with Wakanda, with Killmonger being like, oh, you are the descendant of Wakandans, but you were not born in Wakanda, and that was a point of conflict there, so they maybe they wouldn't revisit it quite the same way. But I do think it is an interesting story. I really like, Jason, what you were saying about, like we need we need the young X men to sort of bell Like I want Scott's introduction to be him like shooting down flock cameras or something like walking home from school like as opposed to just like being studious and like at home. And that's the.
Speaker 5: Sexiest introduction of Scott I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Considering some of the casting rumors out there, confirmed casting and casting rumors if they ever do, if they ever do. The Psychic Affair Emma Scott and Jean Love Triangle. I mean, this is one of the craziest roles in Hollywood history.
Speaker 7: Scott the cost right now?
Speaker 3: Actually, okay, does anyone have any cost things? Actually, Jason, I'm just because you're can't think about that. So we know that there's a ten age difference between Sadie Sink and our beloved Samara Weaving, who is rumored to be cost as Emma Frost. So you're cast confirmed by deadline, but not like Disney. Disney hasn't come out and officially said it. But this is a we know that she's.
Speaker 7: Really cost cost but but.
Speaker 3: So you're looking at someone in the twenty mid twenty eighteen, the twenties kind of range for a Scott, Like, who could that be?
Speaker 7: Right now? I don't watch enough. Do they have to cost them week? Never known? He has to be so hot?
Speaker 1: No, I actually think that they there was I saw some casting rumor where it was like Cooper Hoffman.
Speaker 4: Who is not.
Speaker 2: I would love that.
Speaker 7: I think that's how.
Speaker 1: They should go. I don't want the comics high school quarterback square John Scott.
Speaker 7: Like to me want a good leader.
Speaker 1: You want a good leader, And it's kind of got to be surprising that he's got it in him, I think, because to me, when when they really fleshed out this is we're talking X Men and this is in Spider Man podcast, but like when they really when they really when Scott really reached his full potential, like as a leader in the mid two thousands, like X Men comics, it was it was built on like years of him being like the most milk toast, regular mainstream white man, like uh, you know, and so his militancy really took you by surprise and it seemed earned. And I think that's why the now Hoffman has like said that he's not involved. Who knows, Like.
Speaker 7: So did a sweet sent a million times?
Speaker 2: So did Sey right?
Speaker 1: You gotta lie about that. I but I liked the idea of casting a little bit against physical type and having it be something that emerges from within the character. It makes him so magnetic.
Speaker 3: I've also seen Koop Hoffman and I Want Your Sex, the new Greg Raki movie that was co written by Collie Squatino, who is an amazing person and sex therapist, and Cooper is hot as pot as that in a really unexpected like we a kind of that's all quod ass Way and Jason, I think you're right because also think about this. I was thinking he's got to be hot because both the girls are so hot. We know that's not really how it works in the real world anyway.
Speaker 7: But also what it really needs is that militancy.
Speaker 3: This is a Gene who will fuck anyone ship up if they fuck around with her family, Right, Scott needs to be like that too. We can't have milk toast good boy teachers, Pat Scott, she would not be interested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's here's a question from our discord that has been bandied about Sarah, Jeen's sister. It's revealed spoiler alert that she passed away due to the experiments being run on her by Metzger and Damage Control to kind of map out powers and attempt kind of an a philosophical extension of the Super Soldier pro which or maybe a nascent Weapon X program in which they are trying to figure out the biological basis for mutant power so that they can give them to others. Yes, Sarah passes away in this and it's revealed that the one word that Gene picked up from miles and miles of miles away, and this last moment of the explosion of psychic energy as Sarah was dying was like the word on the vent. Now we never see Sarah's body, and Gene notably, question Mark never picks up from Metzger or anybody else in Damage Control that she's dead before she looks up sees the vent and figures it out. I think she's dead, but I also think that Marvel is really smart and has created an option for them, definitely to do something with this later. I don't know what that could be, but question for the group, Sarah, is she dead? Rosie she did?
Speaker 3: I think that for me this was one of the most powerful storytelling choices, and I was very nervous where my nephews. Watching with my nephew is very emotional. It really moved both of us, and I think that for the story of this movie, I would like for her to be really dead and it to be this horrible sacrifice, especially because I think the tech that Metska is working on is clearly some kind of gonna be some kind of basis for Cerebro, so I think having Sarah's sacrifice connected to that is going to be really emotional. But I agree Jason. I think they're leaving the door open. You never see the body. That means you don't know there one hundred percent dead. I saw some really fun theories in the discord. I think if they did bring her back, it would probably be as a way to manipulate Gene rather than as like a character we already know. But I think it's a smart daughter to leave open. And honestly, I loved the chemist between the two of them. We're on my second watch that scene where they're talking about what a mother is and the way that her sister says, well, if that's all it takes, you were never really a mother.
Speaker 7: I was like, shit, okay, these two a sisters. They don't look.
Speaker 3: Alike by fucking buy it, Like, I would love to see that relationship more. But I think for me personally, I hope that it was a true sacrifice. You know, does she get fridged, Yes, but is it really emotional and in a way that works. The Vmax reveal is so heartbreakingly small compared to what you think it is, and I think that's just an incredible kick in the stomach by the writers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say no, no, no, really quickly.
Speaker 5: I think just like the moment of her looking up was really impactful to see the symbol con ceiling, and so you know, it sort of would make sense. I think if they bring her back, they've got to do it in a like five to six years. And I'm like, oh my god, what have they done to her, Like they've they've souped her upper like she's working for the government now.
Speaker 7: Something line more than three episodes exactly.
Speaker 5: I think that could work because I was thinking about Jabal Tillman when he's telling her, like I thought he was telling her she died so that she would get emotional and like have a stronger reaction.
Speaker 4: So I do see why people were watching it and kind of seeing it that way.
Speaker 2: Aaron, I mean, I think she's dead. Yeah, because when when Metzker tells Holland or Parker, he's like, oh, Sarah is the name of someone who passed away. He has no reason to lie to Peter other than the reason that he's lying already. But like, he doesn't have to tell him that Sarah died if she's actually alive somewhere, he already is slipping up on one thing. I think that she's dead unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do I think a sinister can't come back at some point and revive her for whatever reason? No, I think that's totally in the cars at some point. But I think in this she's Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I will add that it's hard too, like for me to watch the Gene scenes and not think about, like how much of her early memories and the comics are completely garbled and she is no full ears of her life they don't remember correctly.
Speaker 7: Yes, Yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Now that would be That would like open a door to a reading of the movie in which we are seeing the altered memories that like Charles or someone else created, which I definitely don't think is the case. All I'm saying is like, we're probably going to go to a place where Jeane doesn't remember a lot of stuff. Yeah, correctly, Jason, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're wrong.
Speaker 3: They already made in the time of this time frame of this movie something I missed the first time. They had already made a anti Spider Man weapon that was able to get rid of his uh you know, webs that are made of kevla, the kind of like the non organic webs, right, So actually I kind of love the read that I don't think it would be Charles, but Damage Control, like Sarah might have never been a mutant. Those could have been memories just made to She could have never had a sister. I mean, the Sarah pool was crazy, So I kind of love the idea that Damage Control may have been a bit of an inciting incident into Gene becoming more confused. But again, and the emotional arc work for me, But I love that idea.
Speaker 1: Jason Becau damage I need, I need to watch it again. But when Peter does, when Peter does the research on Jean, does he ever turn up a sister or is the only connection to a sister Jean's memories and Metzker's.
Speaker 7: I'm almostly Ylena.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Elena says she finds that there is scrub damage Control documents, but she's able to find that there's a sister. I actually still think that sounds like Damage Control could have set that up.
Speaker 7: Like I'm not gonna lie, but I do.
Speaker 3: In the comics, you know, Sarah is real and this is a very emotional push, But I think that they're leaving it open to interpretation, just like the post credit scene has caused a lot of this course. I think there is a lot of very clever loose ends left here, rather than trying to.
Speaker 7: Commit to something they don't know is going to happen in.
Speaker 1: The mature, speaking of a loose sense, Gene cannot read Spider Man's mind without him letting her or inhabit his mind.
Speaker 2: I like that we're thirty three minutes in and this is the first Spider Man mentioned him.
Speaker 1: This is, this is and I love this movie. But somebody can somebody defend this? How does this work?
Speaker 2: I Spider sense?
Speaker 7: I think it's just like a mixture.
Speaker 3: I think it's the Iraqnid mutation is like the heighth End mutation is allowing him to push her out. And I think they're going to play with the idea of mutations being able to kind of be more powerful of other mutations. Because also Ted when he puts the in hippop, so she.
Speaker 1: Can't read, so she can't read or control the minds of other mutles.
Speaker 7: It's so complicated. Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think it makes sense.
Speaker 5: But I also think I'm really excited that Marvel's leaning in a direction that's like, I don't need to stop down in science explaining this to you guys, And.
Speaker 4: I'm interested that this is magic. She can't do it. Do you understand that? Great, We're moving on, Like, let's go. I think we can live in that world in India happy.
Speaker 2: Because in no way home he Spider Man is the only person other than actual wizards who can sort of exist within when Strange pushes him into that's whatever, like I forget, is it the astral projection still exists and reacts within there. I think it's his spider senses Peter Tingle, allowing him to also fight back against any psychic intrusion, intrusions until.
Speaker 1: That's you could read here is okay, Here is my Marvel, uh whatever, the Marvel Dictionary of the.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the Marvels, the super Marvel.
Speaker 1: I would if I was like trying to actually explain it, I would say, Aaron, I think you're right. That was an important scene in the previous Spider Man film. I think that it's Spider Man's like brain or psyche. His nervous system exists like a Schrodinger's cat in a superposition of various possibilities. It so when a bullet is being fired at him. He his brain is in a reality in which a bullet is coming at him, and also a bullet is not coming at him. Oh so it's kind of like a very short range psychic ability because his brain is like in this kind of quantum field state. And that would why she can I love that. It has to be something unique to him. Yes, otherwise she's just much weaker than we thought because she's very powerful.
Speaker 7: Because they make a big point of saying.
Speaker 3: That, I don't I think it's specifically this idea or they just this was an annoying writing thing that they did. But I don't feel I feel like everything in this very intentional. I just feel like they pushed this idea of Peter mutating because he was trying to keep the powers down, and I just feel like there's some connection there.
Speaker 7: But I also will say that did.
Speaker 3: That arc and that kind of narrative moment did lead to what is my favorite moment in the movie, which is the aunt May Sadie sinc seeing when Peter does let her into his mind and then she finally gets to experience what it would be like to have a parent who loved her so like I also think this could be a retroactively like realizing that would be a cool scene to have and then trying to work out how you get there.
Speaker 7: So maybe it's not as well thought through.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I just I just thought that an't my stuff was so powerful, So I'm glad that we got into Peter's brain in the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joelle, who's your new favorite white man.
Speaker 5: Who Tom Holland can step to the front. I just yes, I'm so enamored. So, like, you know, we love Spider Man. He's been doing this for a long time. He's been great. My favorite singular moment in the Marvel Sinemtic universe is from Homecoming when he's like, come on, Spider Man, and he's.
Speaker 4: Like, self belief gets him over the edge. To me, it's like I.
Speaker 5: Cry every time, like my dad cries when she was like and I think obviously most of all Scarecrow and Wizard of Oz, I cry every time when he's like, come on, Spider Man, get up. It just resonates deeply. But he hasn't necessarily been my favorite character throughout all of this, but I think, like, listen, we just found out that this is now this movie has defeated Endgame and opening preview, which is it is the MCAU now. I think that's well, is it just domestically? I thought it was globally, but.
Speaker 7: I just no, no, no, it's just it's domestically.
Speaker 3: It opened five million more than they thought, so it made three hundred and sixty million dollars, which beats End Games three hundred and fifty seven million. So it is now officially the biggest opening weekend domestically of all time.
Speaker 5: Any film ever. See he is the MCU now, And I think that what the mc who's always needed is what Robert Downey Junior gave it, which was like, hey, I am this character on screen and oscreen. I will be there for you whenever you need me, call me, I'll be there. And I feel like Tom Holland has fully stepped into that. He's like, I am Spider Man. You know a lot of people thought this would be and I'm curious what you guys think thought this was like a sign off for Spider Man. And there's lots of moments you see this.
Speaker 4: Well, Jason, I know, I know, but this is a conversation.
Speaker 5: This is the conversation we're saying, like, hey, sim of these scenes feel like we're saying goodbye.
Speaker 7: Yes, they do fake out death, so they do what they.
Speaker 5: Got death, and I wore a lot of black on the red carpets. People thought like either MJ or Peter would die. When I first heard this, I had your reaction, Jason, where I said, no, one's letting go of this cash cow. Tom Beloved has not had a nice successful movie outside of the Spider Man universe that is relying specifically on his startum.
Speaker 3: But it's looking pretty good right now because the American box office just had the biggest weekend ever because of Spider Man and the arts together.
Speaker 7: So Tom Day are getting the money for the future.
Speaker 1: They want to be sixty million for Brand New Day domestic and then just under a billion global, nine thirty two million worldwide. Crazy crazy, crazy numbers have seen numbers like Tom.
Speaker 5: I know not everyone agreed, And there was recently an article about Tom Holland being like, you need to take more adult roles.
Speaker 4: First of all, fook off. This is the most basic action you could say about Tom.
Speaker 1: Was very adult in this movie.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 5: That's Peter grows with the beauty of the characters that he works both as a teenager and as an old curmudgety man. You can play him for a very very long time. And I think, like what he's done with this role has just been It's really incredible. The fact he took it to like a weird sexy place and he was like, look at this body I got on heard of this suit?
Speaker 4: Do you guys want to appreciate it?
Speaker 5: In like a my scene with the other sexiest personal mc right now?
Speaker 7: Can I fai I for a whole generation of kids? Can I?
Speaker 1: Can I stop us right here?
Speaker 4: Please? Peter Parker in.
Speaker 1: The comics has a a long time dalliance with the Black Widow. Yeah, Black Widow R I t did Scarlett Johansson within the within the MCU. She's gone, not coming back, She's gone one as the new Black Widow.
Speaker 4: We've got a new Black Widow.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was feeling.
Speaker 7: I love the chemistry, so the temis she was there.
Speaker 4: Good buddies who have sex energy.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm gonna Joe ow.
Speaker 3: I'm actually really glad you said that, because in my mind I was thinking, obviously they are leading back to MJ and Peter being together again, because Peter is he does all the green flag shit. He is not far from obsession. He fucking tells her the truth. He takes her home, even after she says, I don't remember you, I don't love you. And then it is MJ's act of kindness by letting him in that allows them to essentially.
Speaker 2: Solve the problem.
Speaker 3: And it's obviously there leading back to that relationship, but it's gonna have to be a long term thing. And this is an adult man with a racknet spider shit going on in his veins, and his fucking ex govern is fucking blooming the sexiest actor from Star Wars, so like he's definitely gonna.
Speaker 7: Be hooking up with the lady.
Speaker 10: So your boyfriend is Ezra. Although they made it very clear through this throughout the movie that they're not fucking that there is no physically very happening whatsoever.
Speaker 3: But I feel I feel like it's really clear to me that the the the flirtation between Yolena and Peter could be something fun to play on as because also there's a lot of moments in here that I really liked where it feels like they're echoing are the Spider Man fem fetales? Oh no no, But like, you know, like this whole Jolena stuff very Black Cat, right, and then you even get these these great moments with Zendea when she is playing possessed at and she's so incredible in those scenes. I mean they're even playing on like Catwoman shit there, like she's giving like she could be fucking DC's Catwoman when she jumps off the fucking building. Like they're having so much fun with these different notions of like tropes and kind of how you can change a character from what we expect, And I just thought that was really really fun and I'm excited to see them continue.
Speaker 1: I did mean black Cat, although Black Widow and Peter have kissed at least twice.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say that there were echoes of previous Spider Man, because that was one of the things I recognized was that Tom really he has the one reference to Peter two when he's testing out the organic webbing for the first time intentionally. But he also there are moments where the first third of the movie him like awkwardly the woman coming out of the elevator and be like, oh, you live on this floor too, and he's like uh hi, and like leaves and its very Toby Maguire very Toby Maguire, and then later on when he's like cracking jokes, you know, oh you guys, stretch, I'm not in high school anymore. That felt so Andrew Garfield like the reference. Yes, yeah, I love the way that he pulls in the other actors in like a metal level with his incorporation of them here, and then also continues to think about them and talk about them as like these are these are a part of my story, these other versions of me, and now here I am my own lonely person, having lost those touch points of Spider Man.
Speaker 4: But also and in the suity, we see it in the suit too.
Speaker 5: They adjusted a lot of the suit to mimic the other two suits. That's why we could see him take off and put on his mask a lot this day.
Speaker 7: And crazy coll that somebody noticed on the internet. I can't take credit for.
Speaker 3: But MJ when she draws him and Ned, she actually draws him in his homecoming suit.
Speaker 7: She doesn't draw him in the suit he's wearing, so it's.
Speaker 11: Like memory, okay, the net loss memory is Yes, I love the way they I mean the ned To handshake being the final moment forgets.
Speaker 4: The the cliche romantic moment. But it's with Ned, I screamed. I was like, their friendship is every I love it.
Speaker 3: Oh g muscle memory baby. He knew like he kisses his girl friend. She doesn't remember the funny unique friendship hat shake.
Speaker 7: They know it forever.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they ever sin the spell. I hope, kind of hope they don'tsin the spell. They just like they just build on this new version.
Speaker 3: You're right, actually, because you know something I noticed second time around Jason.
Speaker 1: The spell also, the spell is different. It should be. Shouldn't am I wrong about this? It should be that if they encounter him again, they will forget, like after a period of time.
Speaker 3: That's why I think he wasn't telling people his name was Peter. That's definitely to me. I think how it felt. But we don't know the ramifications of the rules. I do want to say, though, something else I noticed on second watch. And we know Bruce has obviously been pushed off into a fucking damage control psychiatric hospital, so he's probably not gonna help.
Speaker 7: Bruce now knows Bruce who.
Speaker 3: Spider Man is, but he thinks Spider Man is Ned Leeds because Peter told when Peter went to talk to me, he talked about the universal inhibita, and then he Spider Man gives him the universally inhibited that he made. So Bruce now can connect Spider Man with Peter's face, but he has the wrong name for him, and nobody's gonna believe.
Speaker 2: When when Hulk is fighting him at the very end, in order to get Hulk to stop um, he says, it's your friend. It's Peter. Yeah, so, and Bruce.
Speaker 3: Remembers, which implies again that there is this kind of connection deeper than the spell.
Speaker 1: But some people I don't know that one is another one that I don't like, there being weaknesses in the spell. But if I was again the Marvel explainer nerd, I'd say that because the Hulk's energies come from an alternate dimension exactly, that the psyche of the Hulk is built on alternate dimensional energies and mass, and therefore he's not also was.
Speaker 3: In space at that point finding his son, I think was one of the arguments too, maybe like.
Speaker 7: He was in space.
Speaker 3: There's always been this argument of like, if you were off planet did the spell work? And we haven't met anyone who was off planet at the time, So I also just think that that's the ultimate classic. You've got to do it like they love to do that in every movie with the Hulk.
Speaker 7: You got to say, Son's going dumb, buddy, like you got to remember that you're his friend. That's like question.
Speaker 1: People will cry, are those the only six members of the hand that are left?
Speaker 5: Because the hardest part for me to swallow that they're just kids who meet at home. They get to keep wearing their uniforms from their gang periods.
Speaker 4: Though their colors are fine. We don't have a problem with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the colors.
Speaker 5: And I know we just wanted the cool like wush you like fight scene and it was cool as hell, so cool. But this was a this was a lot. We must circle back to these children. I mean, I need this to be an ongoing thing.
Speaker 7: Five year old children like that, who adults come on.
Speaker 4: Chill.
Speaker 5: We also talk about Jammel Tillman just really quickly while we're here talking about his choices.
Speaker 7: And as a leader.
Speaker 1: I yes, let's do it.
Speaker 4: I have tell me you have been with that's Jason, Well it was, I thought he was great.
Speaker 1: I do have complicated. I have noticed that across mediums we are back in the person of color is the bad guy every time.
Speaker 3: Pretty crazy to have like very famous black actor being the antagonistic getst like a young Wye.
Speaker 2: This felt stunt casting, like he is a name, he's popular, and they just give him anything to do.
Speaker 1: I just got done watching What is This Jennifer Garner five Star Vacation, five Star vacation, and it was fine.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It's about Jennifer Garner whose husband passed away. She finds out he was having a fair and the villain is the is fifty percent of the actors of color in the show, and the other one is part of the friend group whose she works at. She's the only black woman she works in sports. She's like, she's like the stephen A Smith of the of the reality. Anyway, That's how I felt about it. I thought that Chammel was great, but also and I don't need like every good guy to be like a person of color, every bad guy to be not that. But I also feel like, and I do feel like Marvel is doing very good work and laying the groundwork for what will eventually be the central tension behind Mutants and their place in the Marvel universe, which is they are oppressed and exploited and much feared community.
Speaker 7: That said, I.
Speaker 1: Felt like he was a little bit wasted and like at least let him cheose the scenery a little bit more like it very cursor. His grandspeech was a little rush. I think if we had chopped off maybe five to ten at the top and given him a little bit more time to really like wear gene down, like you know, psychologically, I think that would have been cool. However, was like Tilm's kind of the perfect casting for the MCU right now in that here's a guy who's moderately successful in that people know his name, he has like one really great show beneath him, but.
Speaker 4: Years of talent.
Speaker 1: Once every three years, you've gottlity.
Speaker 5: A lot of name recognition, and a lot of drive to prove himself, which means I think that this role could it seems like it's going to have a much longer stand across the MCU. And this is what I really wanted. B tier villains who are doing a lot and can stretch across multiple films, I think would like really raise the level of drama across the MCS. I decided he's in the position.
Speaker 2: I think my question is why didn't they What if he was just Henry Gyrich, like we read that things for everyone.
Speaker 3: Look, I just want to say this has been a long problem that Disney has had in multiple different franchises, predominantly Star Wars and Marvel, where there's often a direct analogue for a character or a mcguffin, and they choose to create something or do something different because they either don't want to pay people, or they just want to do a version that they think is easier to sell or less whatever, or they just don't remember that they have that potential character because there's not somebody there who's like read the specific comics. But I don't think that's a terrible thing, Jason. I do just want to say I totally agree with everything you said. And I also think one of the greatest critiques of the X Men over the years has been that many times, especially pre giant size, obviously, they have often been like the oppressed class of white people who.
Speaker 7: Everything is so tough for them.
Speaker 3: And I do think that the MCU has to be very intentional about not doing a main five.
Speaker 7: That is all white.
Speaker 3: Though if the rumored casting of Charles Melton potentially as Beast, which I think is really cool casting. That's also I think they were talking about Kaylee Spenny's rogue, which I think is very interesting obviously coming off Beef. But I think Jason, they have to be very intentional that they do not just cost a bunch of great character act people of color to run damage control and suddenly it's an oppressed class of white mutants. You know, it could be very easy to do if they're not intentional. So I think it's a good point. I also think that with regards to metsicer, like there's going to be if they build this out right, they would theoretically be an entire like pantheon of not necessarily related government villains Bullvar Trask, Valerie Cooper, Henry Errick. They they're not like on a team, but they are kind of aligned because of like a gounmental mister villains.
Speaker 1: And so I think we if they build it out right, you can have the this MCU reality where there is like an anti powered people's like sect in government that is working to which would happen, you know, like that's working to like basically make sure that the government always has the upper hand versus powered groups, whether it's having our own superpower team like what we've seen in Thunderbolt, Slash Movendors, or having the ability to imprison, assassinate, make disappear any other superheroes that they need to at any given time. And so I think that there's a world for Metzger like going forward, like I think he will come away from this going Actually we need to, like really we need to double down. And I the thing though that I that hasn't happened yet is we haven't seen the these governmental types go. Actually it's the powers themselves, because what happens is, Okay, we give one of our agents power and then what happened We lose control of them, and then they go off and fucking join the X Men or the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants or whatever, or they become like a fucking bank robber, like the greatest bank robber of all time.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: What we need to do is make sure nobody has any powers ever, and we need to so like when does that slip happen?
Speaker 3: I would say, as well, that is very interesting because I think again, something the movie did really well was like the John Burnt or having that moment of almost like the Looper.
Speaker 7: Kind of like, oh, how do you explain time travel?
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it?
Speaker 3: When he explains how Gene kept Peter alive and he says, you know she did that weird voodoo shit or whatever. I think that we are going to be getting into a space where the idea of a governmental kind of like oh no more mutants could also coincide with some kind of house of msque thing, Like I think they're really setting up different kind of layers and tears of science magic government, Like there are so many different ways these stories could be told, and I think they're doing it in such a smart way where they're leading potential pathways, but they're not committing, so it's not going to feel like, oh, they didn't actually build on that. It's just like, oh, they could build on this, or oh they could build on that, and that's what they need to do more of.
Speaker 7: I think, how.
Speaker 1: Does how does Frank avoid any charges after discharging what I would assume is an illegal sniper rifle shooting Spider Man?
Speaker 7: He drives shooting a rock trus the bus off.
Speaker 1: The streets and then is unmolested shitting vigil outside of Spider Man's hospital room.
Speaker 2: And we had zero charges for Yeah, you know what, Jason's.
Speaker 8: Go ahead like he actually has got hell, Everyone's don't mean I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I do think like talking about him sitting vigil at Tom's side, Marvel and Disney do a ton of father son interactions and a lot of father son relationships, even Thor and Odin, you know, Chris Pratt and Russell. This is hearkening back to like that Thor Loki dynamic, and these two I think are better than the Hemsworth and Hidlson dynamic because they they like that scene in the hospital when when Tom wakes up is so good, and the scene of them bickering about Stadden Island is so good. That shows just like in the preview or in the spoiler free review, Jason Rosa, you said, like every Spider Man movie, every MCU movie needs to be hiring couples because the chemistry between Tom and and they is so good. Every MCU movie should be hiring best friends to interact with each other because that works so well. Like this not nepo casting, but you need something like that where you're getting someone you know they have chemistry with.
Speaker 1: I will say that whatever the obviously it's been a it's been a time of tremendous upoval for the NCU, and I think there's been a lot of changes of foot that they've had to weather. But I think one of the smartest structural calls that they've made is, like to Rosie's point and Joelle, like, launch ship off of Tom and Spider Man. Yeah, there's kind of no reason to launch the X Men off of Spider Man except that.
Speaker 3: It was one of the biggest reasons that people didn't believe it could happen.
Speaker 7: But you know what, they couldn't risking out the Thunderbolts, Jason.
Speaker 3: They couldn't risk it out the Fantastic Four where you launched the X Man and it makes a million.
Speaker 7: Spider Man movie.
Speaker 5: Al this is aws fell in love with Spider Man is that they backed back and we should have back all of our characters if you introduced Kamala and I know it didn't really.
Speaker 4: Work for the Marvels for a number of reasons.
Speaker 5: But I think if you hadn't had tried this first of all, but second, I think if they instead of trying to make it the three of them, if they had just made it Captain and mis.
Speaker 4: Marvel trying to figure stuff out. Just the two of them.
Speaker 5: Those are two women who really care about these roles, who are actively in the public about their roles. I think they could have really built something up there, and we could have, you know, tried to back towards those X men in another movie. But I think what really works here, you know the I wanted to talk a little bit about like the New York.
Speaker 2: Of it all.
Speaker 5: You know, this is the first film they didn't actually shoot on New York streets. Jason Aaron, y'all love the city, have lived there, currently lived there. Did you guys feel like you missed? I felt like I noticed as a non New Yorker. But how did you guys feel about it? Did you feel the presence of the city missing at all?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: You barely want it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's there's still like a third of the movie it takes place in Bodega's.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like the fe roll is stunning too, Like that how that credits first, like five minutes of the credits just roll. That shit makes me cry just because I love New York.
Speaker 1: This is it was. I thought it was quite convincing, Like to me, the the absolute worst version of like any other place for New York is rumble in the Bronx where you see like snow capped mountains in So this was this was I didn't notice it at all.
Speaker 3: They did amp up the New York noess of Spider Man in this too as well to kind of cover that.
Speaker 7: Jason and Aaron how did that? That stuff read.
Speaker 3: Very fun for me, but obviously not in New Yorker, But like, how did the burnt or spidery New York because when they argue, they get more New York which is very real, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was right, That was right. Yeah, It's perfectly pitched. And it was the opposite of there's one scene in the first season of Daredevil Born Again, and I think it's when Daredevil and Kingpin are sitting or meeting in the diner and in the background there's a Fresh Direct truck and that to me was like, we're a little too real here to get Fresh Direct out of the shot, that's too much.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: So this was this like felt good and I liked this, and I liked their like seeing Gene hop through people and you're seeing how busy these streets are. You're seeing the diversity of people that she's jumping to and the busy streets. I love that, and like she's just jumping over construction barriers and stuff. Yeah, I think that was all incredible.
Speaker 1: Okay, last couple of questions. First, the X Men Do they exist right now in this world? Is Scott running around somewhere in the suburbs wherever, like with his brother Alex? Or are we going to get a lot of them from the post Secret Wars collision of realities? It would be a pretty big mind blower, right if Charles Xavier was right now running the school secretly like in upstate New York, although Gene appeared to be going.
Speaker 4: So what do we do?
Speaker 1: We think they are getting them from this reality or elsewhere?
Speaker 5: I think they're here. I think the X Men School doesn't exist yet. I was shocked we didn't. Honestly, I thought I was preparing for a in the same way we're introduced to Nick Feary. I thought they were gonna surprise drop Charles on us. I was like, we have no casting yet, but but I's secret. If we get a voice, maybe he is. He's out there in the world. But I I need I personally, personally, I want to see the founding of the school I'm kind of upset if we were.
Speaker 4: Like just jumping in the middle like storms already a teacher like.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: I think okay, So look, guys, I have to direct you back. So there is I believe a school. I do not believe it is the beautiful, huge Charles Xavier School as we know it. But remember when they found out Kamala had a mutation, she went to a school in upstate New York for gifted kids. I think that there is an early version. Uh maybe it's like the fucked up you know, Days of Future Past. Charles has let the mansion go to shit, he hasn't set it up yet version. Or maybe it's Charles in a fucking apartment somewhere with like six kids who are the first X Men. But I do think that there is somebody. I don't know if it's Charles, maybe it's maybe it's Emma. Let's remember in a lot of Version New Mutants, New x Men. It could be Emma who's there as the head teacher. We don't know, But I do think there's somebody has created a safe space for young mutants, and I do believe that Kamala is there. And I do believe that is where Gene will end up. And the reason that I think that is because Peter says.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know you're not alone.
Speaker 7: You've got me. And Peter's in New York. We know Carmena was in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: There is obviously some understanding or some kind of like space where if you find a young mutant teen because Peter said get away, he's not trying to send her to damage control. There's somewhere people know they can send them because we know Karmla went there, and I'm guessing Genes going to the same place.
Speaker 7: I just don't know if it's I looked so hard.
Speaker 3: There is a big kind of big spire that you see in the pull out shot, but I don't think it's meant to be the school. But yeah, I do think that there is somebody's running a safe space for kids right now.
Speaker 7: Is it Charles?
Speaker 3: I don't know, because I still don't know what they're gonna do with Charles and Magneto. I think it's a very fraught adaptation right now. So I think Emma is a teacher, is not crazy, or Emma is somebody running what maybe she's running a kind of like Fagin esque like seems like it's good for the kids, but really, you know, she's got them doing crimes or whatever. Like, I'm very interested, but there's a group of mutants somewhere. I do think Charles could come from another universe. I think that could be very interesting.
Speaker 1: Though interesting, Aaron, any particular thoughts, uh.
Speaker 2: Nothing serious. I mean my like joke, my joke he thought is what if actually at the end of this we got Mehrshela. But he's playing Xavier and this whole time he's just been like, yeah, Blade is over, Like forget it because actually he's playing Xavier.
Speaker 7: You know what.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, if that was true, then that would be good because they really fucked up that man's whole career in life by putting him on hold for six years and fucking moving him.
Speaker 7: So yeah, everyone goes see your mother, your mother, your mother.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that Gene is being uh directed by whispers from Charles psychic wherever he is from beyond the cast since they haven't.
Speaker 7: Creeping on Jane, but Jake, I think they would do that later because.
Speaker 3: Remember then when they talk about the session where it is implied that Sarah died and she sends out the vmax message to Gene, who could hear it so far away, miles and miles away. They say they registered a huge spike. So when Gina helped well also as well, and if Gene evolved in that moment where she used her powers, Xavier would have one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I think so Jane will be the I think Gene will be the first x men because he can't the first student. He can't. He's this pre Cerebro. He can't find mutants. Yet it will be her that helps.
Speaker 3: Him, and then she could be the one who tells him that Metsica was essentially creating some kind of Cerebro esque technology to track from new brains. Oh, baby, Jason, I'm feeling another weird.
Speaker 1: And then years later, Scott and Jean's child, Cable will try to assassinate Peter Parker to keep him from inventing mutant.
Speaker 7: Shut the fuck up, and.
Speaker 4: You're not ready.
Speaker 3: That's Jason charge right now, Kevin fig because I need to see it.
Speaker 1: Okay, where do we rank this in the Tears of MCU movies?
Speaker 2: Oh, Aaron, I think this is so. I also like Rosie saw it twice this weekend, so I saw it again yesterday. I think this is that nothing will compare to that moment of seeing all three Spider Man at once on screen. This, I think is an infinitely more rewatchable movie. And I just rewatched All the Spider Man and yes, you're right, I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this actually feels ironically David Simms and all the rest of them, I actually think this feels the most like a movie.
Speaker 7: It feels like a movie.
Speaker 3: Like you know, there were people in Orlando Universe will say you won't guessday.
Speaker 7: They had no fucking idea.
Speaker 3: Jeane Gray was, they had no idea who punishable. They was a joy in a crazy Spider Man movie.
Speaker 2: I went to see it yesterday with a friend who's like a huge movie buff and he's an actor and he does not like Marvel in general, and he was like dragged a little. But once the Hulk fight came, like I was locked in and I was like, I'm surprised that that's what got you. Although that scene is incredible with Punisher, like, yes, we didn't even talk about how great that set piece.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's the biggest we've ever That's the.
Speaker 2: Biggest, is the biggest, that's the scaredest we've ever seen Punisher too, Can I can I.
Speaker 3: Call out that incredible line delivery from our complicated fave John Bunhor when he goes, well, good luck with that, Peter, because he's trying to be Oh that got a fucking barely laugh in the theater.
Speaker 4: When he into the the femininity of it at all.
Speaker 3: When I said this guy's got this guy's got problems or whatever, he's.
Speaker 7: So team Darling.
Speaker 2: He really is, because this is a that makes sense. Yeah, this is definitely I think in my top tier. Like this, Jason, you you said, like when you go back, you know, Infinity War is kind of like infinitely rewatchable part of the pun but like you can just put that on and like be excited to see the rest of it and see different scenes from it. And this feels like it's gonna be that for me in a way that I can't wait to put this back on and just see the scene of Tom and Zenda on the roof together. I can't wait to watch the scene of like them arguing on the boat, you know, as Tom's are putting on the booby traps. So I think this has up in like my top three top five. Whoa top three?
Speaker 1: Okay, so the s tier Marvel, Yes, Joel.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna a tier it for now, which is to say this movie is excellent backwards and forwards. I think a little tightening up here and there, but I like all of the drop ins. I think they connected to the university. This is the first Marvel movie I've seen in years.
Speaker 5: Where I'm like, Okay, we're we are, we are in our bed, like this is bringing us. I make sense because of this movie, I'm excited for the next one.
Speaker 11: Crying trying to see you.
Speaker 4: Then it's fine, It's fine.
Speaker 5: He's working on it, Matt is coming, DC is figuring itself. Marvels has been in Struggle City for so long. So this is But I still think, like if I was just to rank it among this is my second favorite of the Spider Man movies. Put it just a little bit beneath Homecoming with the small asterix that it might change in a couple of years. I might come back around, but I know this is the best one. But I still I still have our little introduction into Peter and the high school and the smallness of the first movie.
Speaker 4: But this is really solid. What about you Rizzie, I am.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna it is a bit of recency bias, but I'm basically in between Joel and Aaron, so I'm going to go up to the stick because I do just think it was I was considering it, but often a second watch, I do think the.
Speaker 7: Performances are so good.
Speaker 3: I am somebody who loves my little sister, so that stuff really hit for me. I'm also an auntie and I tried to bring that aunt made energy to being hot and like cool and empathetic, and I just for me as someone who can be very easily emotionally manipulated by a movie, that emotional payoff with her and Jean is so huge. I can't think of the last time even like, look eternals, you're not gonna hit me.
Speaker 7: Drag it, guys, But that movie didn't many cry.
Speaker 3: Like I loved it, But it was because I loved the hard sci fi celestial cosmic jacka be kind of disconnect of it all.
Speaker 7: That's the point.
Speaker 3: This movie made me cry multiple times on second watch, and it is actually so emotionally fulfilling in a way that I just can't remember feeling about a lot of the other movies aside from you know, your big obvious character deaths and your Infinity Wars. So I think currently with recentcy bias noticed, I'm putting it in top tier because I think.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeahdas, I think I deserve to talk to Peter Parker like finding the that whole sne really yeah, I'm with you, like a really emotionally moving film.
Speaker 4: Overall, Jeezu, what did you? How do you rank it?
Speaker 1: I'm going to put it in the A tier. I'm gonna put in the A tier movie wise overall MCU movies and the A tier both, but in terms of like what it means to the MCU right now, I think it's obviously an S tier like this puts them back on the front foot.
Speaker 3: No one was thinking this was going to open to almost a bill. No one say that, no one wanted to say that.
Speaker 1: I think the only you know, the criticism, and I think it's maybe fair that that the haters, and I say that not with any kind of venom, just just like whatever, who like real who like real cinema, that's fine, But the haters will say, well, the Spider Man phenomenon existed outside of Marvel for years before the MCU, just as the Batman phenomenon existed for years outside of the DCU. And that is true, which is why again I think it's very smart the way Marvel is positioning Spider Man to be at the kind of center of stories that they are launching going forward. All of which is to say the Sony Disney marriage will continue for a long time. At every movie, Pascal, the font on Amy Pascal's name is gonna get blown.
Speaker 7: Up before the Sony at the end, I was correct.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely right, And depending on how Deemsday goes, I think it's potentially like a comeback year for Marvel. It could be like or like a resetting of of expectations.
Speaker 3: The mc means how much how many reshoots that they try to do right now, Jason to fit more.
Speaker 1: Spied about it, Yeah, I mean it's got to be.
Speaker 7: They're going crazy right now.
Speaker 3: They're like, sad day, Tom will give you ten million dollars a day if you come distusively shoots.
Speaker 1: I saw Tom talking about saying that he's involved in whatever the plans are to like hand over the mantle once that happens, Like he's got the idea and you just know that they're hoping that that doesn't happen for ten years.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The good thing is I just want to say, as I've been pitching for a long time, and I hope this is what Thom is thinking. You can have Peter and Miles in the MCU at the same time. Peter can teach Miles. That's what happens in Altimer's first Miles debuts by himself does this thing, and then Peter revealed to actually be alive and he can be like a secret mental to Miles. Both can exist and at some point Miles becomes the focal point. But you're right, Jason, the success of this movie means we are waiting five years minimum for that.
Speaker 1: They won't do it for more than five years. I think it would actually be and obviously, like the artists and the creators should run, should make the decisions. But I actually think it would be fucking studio financial malpractice to kill off Peter Parker anytime within the next decade. If I can't do it, Tom would be stupid.
Speaker 3: Drink is of chapagne right now in their nice little house Kingston on Tennis thinking about how they're expanding their mansion and they love it. I love Myles also loves we've still got that second across the Spiders, Beyond the Spider Verse. You know we're going to get our Miles chunks and I just can't wait for it. But yeah, I mean, what a stunner of a movie, Like it was better on second watch, honestly, so I would encourage you to go see it again.
Speaker 2: Guys, I think you know. The lesson that I hope Marvel and DC too takes from this is this is how you incorporate other characters from your universe in a way that makes sense. It's not shoehorning anyone in Hulk made sense. He was like an important vehicle, both as an intellectual to talk to Peter about the science and then be a brute force thing that.
Speaker 3: He has, and also an ethical moral compass is the first person. It's a cool which also I love that z MJ does as well. MJ's also like this is bad, you fucking dumb cough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I love that, and I hope the MCU takes note of that and not just hey, we got to Tom into everything, like we got to do all these well.
Speaker 1: I also think that as we set the stage the long awaited stage setting for the X Men. It must be set again that like the X Men were forget the Avengers for like thirty years, at the last sixty years of comics history, it was the X Men that were number one, a huge fan base that's just waiting out there for this team to be integrated. And so I do think that there is another booster jet so to speak, like if they they hit it right, I think that there is another.
Speaker 3: There's a vision, there's a world where X Men opened, a true X Men versus Avengers movie could open to too Bill weekend, like Marvel can start dreaming of those kind of records again. I also just want to say, if anyone wants some fun, multiple people sent these hilarious videos to me this weekend, go and watch some of the final script readings from Stranger Things where the rest of the cast, you know, they don't have anything else coming, and they're all crying.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, shiting great And she's like sou she was.
Speaker 4: Currently given a Toy nominated performance off Broadway at the time, and then.
Speaker 7: In a movie she's great.
Speaker 3: I'm just so happy for her, and I'm kind of I'm thinking Jason for so long we've been worried about can they introduce them, can they write them right?
Speaker 7: Can they do them justice? But I think I hadn't even really.
Speaker 3: Considered how this could be another phase one level of generationally great casting. And I think that Sadie hints that they know that they need to do something different, something cool, something not milk toast, something not the cops of the mutant world. But also as well, I think that the Tom John chemistry here is reminding me of that Tom Hidlesten, you know, low key kind of like oh my god, the the RDIJ and Sam rockwell together, those character chemistries that made the MCU sing and feel like so much more. The X Men could do that again. This movie made me remember how that can feel when the MCU gets it right. I don't think they've been able to do that fully for me with a lot of the newer stuff, but I would. Now I'm thinking, like Charles Melton, like who the fuck else can we get?
Speaker 7: Like what other incredible?
Speaker 3: Kim is a crazy put it will be obsessed.
Speaker 1: Kill Kaylee Spainey is rogue killing, slash taking Captain Marvel's powers.
Speaker 4: I'm ascending.
Speaker 7: I'm ascending and Captain Marvel's a fucking.
Speaker 1: Minute in an Avengers versus X Men fight, like killing her, taking her whole powers and becoming the rogue from the nineties kind flight and the in super strength, but also having like Captain Marvel's psyche embedded and her. Guys, we can do it all, we can do it.
Speaker 2: They do it right. And Justin could directing because he loves he's worked with her multiple times.
Speaker 3: Also, we could have it Charles Melton, academic sexy beast who is also kind like, come on, it's possible, guys. I just need them to get Storm right. That's what we're waiting for, honestly about it. But it's feeling positive, guys. This is the first time we've been feeling this positive for a while.
Speaker 1: Well, except fantastic for one last one last question, yes or no?
Speaker 4: Original?
Speaker 1: When they launched the X Men, is it the comics accurate original team? Yes or no?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: I think it's gonna be I don't think.
Speaker 1: That would be classic Cyclops, Cyclops Beast, Iceman Jean Gray.
Speaker 5: I don't think they need Iceman in your original kicking and I think there's a ton of new X Men if they don't put Kamalakon on that team.
Speaker 4: They have failed.
Speaker 5: She has been doing the like groundwork to like build up her audience to speak to them. She has the potential to be a Tom Hollands style like influencer of MCU like impact. She has to be she has to be there.
Speaker 4: I refused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they won't do Iceman. They won't do Angel because they are already multiple winged flying characters. I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like Ice is gay, I think they think you're white gay.
Speaker 1: I think he'll I think you're ignoring that. How good it would be to kill some of these X men in a.
Speaker 3: Emotional I also think we're going to get a version that is a mixture of Giant size and the Original five. So I think you could see like a Colossus on the team or something someone a little bit. Maybe not because they already did Deadpool recently.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like Original five because of how powerful this gene casting is potentially. But you've got to have like Rogue, you gotta have Gambit, you've got to have the characters the kids know and love from the cartoons.
Speaker 7: So I think it's going to be more of a mix.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Brandy Day, We loved it, Doomsday on that can't wait. On the next episode of Extra Vision, we're talking X Men, the penultimate episode of ninety seven season two. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, but let's just call it x Men Vision. X Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepts Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Faye wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator.