Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garth. Hi, everyone, welcome to I Choose Me. This podcast is all about the choices we make and where they lead us. So yeah, I've talked a little bit about it before, but menopause is finally getting its day in the sun. Today I choose to get into it. Let's talk about it. There is so much to discuss about menopause and all its phases and symptoms and side effects. Whether you are going through it, or about to go through it, or you know someone who's going through it, there's just too much stigma about this chapter of life that all of us women will eventually go through. My guest today is the author of the number one New York Times best selling book, The New Menopause. She's a Board certified OBGYN, a certified menopause practitioner from the Menopause Society, and a certified culinary medicine specialist. She's all about demystifying menopause, which I love. She is a leading voice on the topic. Please welcome doctor Mary Claire Haver to the Iye Choose Me podcast. I'm so so happy to have you with us today. I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 2: This is so fun.
Speaker 1: It's so good. It's so good. Let me just tell you something that happened last night. My husband, he thinks he's funny. He said, what is going on with this menopause stuff? It's more like manopause. I feel like you're in your mano pause phase. I was like, that's a good one, babe. Have you heard that yet?
Speaker 2: Absolutely all the time, all the time or menopause man man no more.
Speaker 1: I know, there's a million things we can do with it. Talk to me about like, what happened with you? Why did you decide that amplifying this conversation around menopause and women's health in this category was so important to you.
Speaker 2: Kind Of my journey was I was a traditional obgyn and a big academic institution, I know, taught residents medical students, and I had a very robust private practice and I was happy, and I really thought I'd do that job till I retired, you know, in like twenty more years. And then my patients were aging with me because you kind of get out and you get all the newly pregnant people and I was newly pregnant, so we have babies together and then we get old.
Speaker 1: We were all.
Speaker 2: Together, and you know, I was seeing these trends in my patients who were aging of you know, these random complaints that we couldn't seem to get to the bottom of, like joint pain, not sleeping well, libido, weight gain, you know. And I was just kind of taught this is what happens when women age and get over it. We call them whining women in clinic when I was in training, you know, meaning she's just whining. This is the time of her life, she needs to seck it up.
Speaker 1: There's nothing we can do.
Speaker 2: Never in all of my training was I ever taught that this constellation of symptoms might be related to what the hell's going on in her ovaries right now.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, something's not right with me, something's not right with all my patients. Because I go to church with these women, we go out to dinner. It's a small town with a big university, right, I know them outside of their little complaint list in the office, and I know they run marathon, you know, Like, and You're like, these are women who this should not be happening to in this percentage, right, And they're eating right, they're working out, they're doing all the things, and they're like, look, I'm falling apart. And so you know, we're testing for a thyroid, we're doing all the walk ups and everything's coming back normal and they're not fully men apuzzles, so their hormone levels really aren't diagnostic at this point. And I'm like, we're doing this wrong. Something's wrong. So the main complaint was white game. So that's where I started, you know, and that's what was happening to me. Suddenly I was you know, I'd had then privilege most of my life, and then all of a sudden, I had a belly and I couldn't get rid of it despite dumbling down from Ike. So I called the PhD, you know, nutrition scientists at the university. You know, I delivered all their kids, and so what the hell is going on with this? Like what about women in menopause? Why is this happening? This is nearly universal? And they're like, yeah, so there's something to do with inflammation. And they just sent me down the like PubMed, which is the repository for medical data studies, and I started reading all this stuff about inflammation and how you know, inflammation and menopause are definitely tied and then this weight gain and this new belly fat deposition and inflammation is tied. And I start like, well, wait a minute, this is happening, and this is happening. Menopause and inflammation seems to be a thing. I just realized there was such little data there, and no one was teaching it to me. I was busy delivering babies and pap swears and all the stuff we do. So I just went down rabbit hole after rabbit hole, put together a nutrition program for my patients and me and my girlfriends, and you know, started talking about it on social media. I didn't have a Macavelian plan to become one of the leading voices in the menopause movement. I was a busy mom of two kids, my husband worked overseas. You know, I was just trying to stay alive. But as I talked more about it and more, people started listening and asking me more questions, which would fuel my curiosity and I go look up more stuff. So really, it wasn't planned. I just started talking about it, started validating people's symptoms, telling them that they weren't crazy. This is actually a thing, and it just grew and grew and grew and the more I would teach and share, the more people would join. And now we have got almost over four and a half million followers across you know, the different channels in.
Speaker 1: Your meno posse. I'm happy to be in your menopasse.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's really, you know, my miniverse is I like to call it. It is just a bunch of people who are there to help each other out and share experiences and make of that crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds like an amazing way of platform, a way to develop a platform, and such an incredible way for you to reach so many women. It's because you're so passionate about it, because it's happening to you.
Speaker 2: I love that I went through it. I'm still going through it. I'm you know, I'm still aging and I accept that. But you know, I just read a quote today from one of my friends who has this program called Menopause boot Camp, and she's an incredible personal trainer, but she's really focusing on us now. Because forever I was a cardio queen, I worked out to be Thinn. That was the goal. I had no thoughts of muscles or any of that. And you know, our mothers and grandmothers just kind of got to our age and were like, this is it, and yeah, I am. They end up in nursing homes with cognitive deficits and dementia and frailty and all this stuff, by and large, you know, not all, thank God, But I don't want to accept that, and that there's stuff that we can do now to prevent that in thirty years.
Speaker 1: I mean there has to be. That's a driving force for me too, Like I don't want to go down the road that my parents went down as far as their health, you know. So that pushes me every day to just stay healthy and take better care of myself than because I have the knowledge and they didn't.
Speaker 2: Right, right, when I think of the things that came out of my mom's mouth about trying to stay healthy, like eating olio instead of butter, you know, like that's her conception of health, and you know, fighting forever to stay thin and not giving herself proper nutrition just so that she could be thin. Now she's paying the price, yeah, you know, so same same. So when you know, when I have patients come into clinic and we take care of the acute problems, the joint pain, the brain fog, the whatever, you know, we fix all of that. Then I'm like, okay, now.
Speaker 1: Let's plan the next thirty years. They're like, what I love that, I need you my life.
Speaker 2: What can we do? What path can we put you on to avoid ending up? Like And if they come in and they're like, my mom's amazing, she's eighty five, she's driving around car, she's taking care of herself, Da da da da, I'm like, let's do whatever she's doing, because that's working. But if they're like, she's can't take care of herself, we're looking at home. So we're having to disrupt our lives like I want to don't want to disrupt my kids lives, you know, as little as possible. You know, I don't expect to live for ever, but I don't want one of those long, protracted, you know, times of infirmity.
Speaker 1: If it can be avoided, it is a big I wouldn't say disruptance because I have my mom now, who's in her eighties and is getting less and less mobile and doesn't want to leave her house, and she spends a lot of time reading, and I'm always calling her and saying, Mom, how about a walk today? Just let's go out, let's get a get a walk in and I don't want my kids to have to worry about me. Same as you. In your book, you say that every organ system in a woman's body is affected by menopause, their brain health, their heart, their lungs, and their kidneys.
Speaker 2: Explain this, I think that's you know, forever, we define menopause a cessation of period, so the end of your cycles and hot flashes, the vasomotor symptoms. But what we're now realizing is, my goodness, the cognitive changes, the mental health changes. So starting out the brain, you know, palpitations are now recognized as a common vasomotor symptom. They're lumped in there with hot flashes and night sweats. No very few cardiologists know this because they weren't taught this, you know, right Like in the lungs, new onset asthma very common in menopause, and it tends to be a typical. This doesn't happen to men, you know, in their midlife. It just happens to women. Autoimmune disease, joint pain, muscle pain. Of course, the genital urinary system recurrent UTI is vaginal pain, loss of lubrication, on and on and on and so what you go through is very different than what I go through. Our menopause footprint, you know, our symptom profile is as unique as we are, and doctors love a checklist, you know, that's how we're trained. Like it looks like a duck and walks like duck. It's a duck and the duck. For me, it's just outside of your period. Stopping and hof flashes can be really hard or can overlap with several of the disease states. You know, it's hard to tell hypotheridism away from perimenoplaus sometimes, and as.
Speaker 1: It is because you go in and you're wondering what's going on with you and you have all these other different, weird symptoms and they're not really linked, so everybody's just confused. That's was my experience.
Speaker 2: So my goal, you know, besides educating my followers so that they can have an informed conversation, is really you know, part of our like the doctor menopause, the clinician menopause, because we have nurse partitioners and lots of you know, psychologists and stuff, is we're now pushing the medical societies to recognize these things and start training our clinicians coming up in the world so that you know, at least the next generation we're going to have to fight.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're all the fighters, but they're going to benefit so much from all of your messaging and all this data that gathering and this information. Right, it's incredible.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're not men with breasts, you know, where we're gender help on that.
Speaker 1: So our skin too, though, that's another organ that is incredibly affected by medicine.
Speaker 2: So wound healing besides the obvious cosmetic things, which you know which are It's shocking because in five years, Jenny, we lose thirty to fifty percent of for college.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, where'd it go?
Speaker 2: Like, I feel like overnight? You know? Now, definitely, you know, hormon therapy helps. You can do very safe topical hormone therapy that works beautifully. Of course, all the cosmetic treatments and stuff, but I don't know a woman who goes through it who like wakes up every day and is like, what happened to dudes, not saying what happened to my skin. It's a cosmetic stuff, you know, wound healing and you know, just the health of your skin. The trends to epidermal water loss, you know, We're much more likely to become dehydrated, you know, because our skin becomes so thin and we're just blowing off, you know, plus the hot slashes you know, in sweatings.
Speaker 1: So it's just crazy how it affects us all. It's like a massive cyclone that comes into your life and just does all kinds of destruction and then it's like bye bye, and I'll take all that with me. Explain the difference for those that don't know, because I definitely did not know when I didn't know when I was in perimenopause. I didn't know what perimenopause was. I didn't know the definition of menopause being twelve months after your last period, which I learned once I was twelve months after my last period. So can you explain the difference for people like paris meno and then postal.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll do a little baby lesson in endochronology. Okay, perfect to educate your listeners. This is this is so critical, so big difference between females and males. We have lots of differences, but as far as our gonads go, so overs and testicles, men make their genetic material, their sperm fresh every day Okay. Women are born with a limited egg supply. They form when we're still in our mother's uteruses, right, and then we're born with one to two million eggs. By the time we're thirty, we're down to ten percent. By the time we're forty, we're down to three percent. Menopause really represents you've run out of eggs. Okay, So now let's go to your normal, your twenty five year old self for ninety percent of as of normal regular cycles, very predictable if you're healthy.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: What happens why we ovulate, is that the hypothalmus, which is a gland in our brain, is constantly sampling our blood supply for estrogen estra dial, and when the levels get low, as they do towards the end of the cycle, it sends a signal to the pituitary gland, another gland to make stimulating hormones. That will say, ovary, let's get an egg out and ovulate, so that'll begin the production of estra dial through the ovulation process. What happened, and that goes a very ekg like, very predictable rise and fall of our hormones month after month after month in a healthy woman. Okay, Okay, it happens in perimenopause. So menopause by definition is the transition between what I just talked about, normal reproducible cycles to no more cycles. The chaos zone in the middle is perimenopause. Now what happens here reach a critical egg threshold level where the same signals that we're sending down each month stop working because we don't have enough eggs. We don't have enough follicles left to respond. So the hypothalamus is like, hey, where's my xtra diol?
Speaker 1: The tutory is like I.
Speaker 2: Sent the signal and is like send more. So we end up getting much higher levels of the stimulating hormones from the pituitary, but you don't have the same temporals. So what used to look like this now is delayed because it took a while for the signals to go back and forth. Then you get a much higher surge of that FSH and then you get much lower drops. And so what used to look like in EKG now becomes chaotic month after month, and it's not predictable at all. And so in that chaos zone, percent of us will have abnormal uterine bleeding heavy periods like periods no periods too many, too frequent, too few, to craziness. Only about ten percent will just wake up and not have a period again. There's usually a calling card, hot flashing and the night sweats, the joint pain that you know, the symptoms. But most importantly, the brain hates chaos. It loves predictability. And when our estrogen and progesterone and testosterone levels start going haywire in perimenopause is when we see the biggest changes in the brain both mental health. We have a forty percent increase of depression anxiety across the perimenopause transition. So you were living your best life, nothing has changed, no stressors have changed, and all of a sudden you've lost your resilience. You're cranky or depressed or snappy, or the things that used to bother you or now bothering.
Speaker 1: You, you know, and a lot more, uh huh.
Speaker 2: And so also our cognitive ability, so our ability. Think you're forgetting names, you can't remember, your job is suddenly becoming harder. You're you've got something that took your tongue and you can't you know, And like that all happens to us every once in a while. But this is like a consistent pattern. This is a hallmark of the cognitive changes in perimenopause.
Speaker 1: And then you have this crazy fluctuation.
Speaker 2: Busy time turns into full menopause. Now bottomed out, there are no eggs left, and now you have no estrogen.
Speaker 1: Oh, then the fun. You know. When I was in Perry, I was like, all right, let's get this over with enough already, just stop already, period so that I can be done with this. And I was kind of like hoping for it. And now that I'm in it, I'm like, wait, I gotta miss it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of women are grateful, thankful that, especially if they had horrible periods or just ems or menstrual migraines, that is over and they can get on with their lives. But there are benefits to estrogen in our body, especially in the brain and the joints, you know, and our gut microbiome, all of it's affected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that no one has ever taught us this as bonkers to me.
Speaker 2: Right that I just saw a study where ninety percent of you know, girls were never taught about menopause in school, like nothing like in their health class, Like that there would ever be even if it's just like the end of your fertility. You know, it's just like this vague kind of.
Speaker 1: Something your grandma deals with, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so, and I really had a negative connotation about menopause myself, and I just know that's the same for people. I remember thinking I hate menopause, like I don't want to take care of people at menopause. And now that's all I do. And God, you know, I am living my best life. I am happier, healthier, better relationships, better boundaries. I'm guiltless, I have no shame. I am just you know, I feel like I'm helping people, I'm teaching. But if I had not overhauled everything I think about health and how I'm going to age and learn how to prioritize myself and stop putting everybody's needs in front of mine, I would not be here today. And all I want is for what I feel, for everyone to have that chance. Oh.
Speaker 1: I love that, and you. I feel it from you when I look at you, when I read your book. By the way, your book, I have it right here the New Men of oz. Oh, it's really great. Thank you for writing that, because it's conversations that we haven't had before, and we need to have. I agree you are inspiring women our age to go for their best life, and I love that about you. What about birth control. I've been on and off birth control my whole life. Does that affect the onset any perry?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we need more studies. But we have lots of women who are birth control, and I was on one of them. I was on it god thirty years too well contraception, but also for treatment of my PC or you know, covering the symptoms of my pcos. And I was happy on them, did great on them, no problem. We know that because we suppress ovulation with birth control pills, women who are the longer you're on them, you tend.
Speaker 1: To get an extra year or so.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're on like long term ten plus years, you might get an extra year or so out of the shelf life of your ovaries because we suppressed ovulation. We lose about eleven thousand eggs each month with the ovulatory process. So so a little bit not hugely clinically significant, but there is a little bit, you know, I worry about and probably what happened to me was, you know, when we're on long term birth control, and for me, it was medically treating something that I was happy with. You know, what did that do to my bone and muscle strength? You know, not having those normal levels of tasosterone and estrogen.
Speaker 1: It's just always something scary when when you're like, well, I hope this goes well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and I was happy to be treated because I have PCOS and what it did to me. You know, there's trade offs, there's were sympnefits for everything. But nobody sat me down and was like, okay, listen, you know, this is is a bigger conversation than we thought, and we do need to have more studies, but this, you know, you probably should be doing more weight lifting in the gym to hang on to your muscle mass because we're going to be suppressing your natural disosterone as well with this.
Speaker 1: Our symptoms change according to what phase we're in.
Speaker 2: Right in a menstrual cycle, yeah, so if you're you know, pre minstrel, your estrogen levels are rising. So the first halfier cycle, progesterone is zero almost very very low. Disascone does e and flow, but not nearly as much as estrogen, but it's fairly steady state compared to the others, and then we have a rise in estrogen mid cycle, and then it kind of goes down right after, and then we have a little bit more of a rise and then it plummets in a healthy menstrual cycle.
Speaker 1: Imperimental policy, we even know, ye, there's no way to We need more studies, we need more more data we do.
Speaker 2: Let me, let me give you this, Okay. PubMed is like where I go. It's like Google for doctors or Google for clinicians to look up vetted medical journal articles, like you know. Everything in there's pretty upfront. And I just type in the word pregnancy. I get one point one million articles. Amazing, right, that's great. We need healthy pregnancies. I've had two of them. Then I type in the word in menopause. There's ninety seven thousand articles, so ten to one difference, uh huh on one roughly a little less thanton one. I'm like, am I ninety percent less important in this phase of my life than I was when I was pregnant?
Speaker 1: And that's what they want us to believe, That's what we've been led to believe.
Speaker 2: Wait, so I type in the word perimenopause. I just did this, and there's six thousand, seven hundred articles.
Speaker 1: WHOA, Yeah, we got work to do. People don't know that there are stages, that there are different symptoms, that everybody's different. It's a real mystery to so many people, and definitely to men.
Speaker 2: Right now here, you are a partner trying to support a loved one through this.
Speaker 1: You she.
Speaker 2: So the best appointments I have are when the partners come, usually coming for a place of support and understanding, and I just love talking you know about all these things for them and they need it really helps.
Speaker 1: It really does, because they're so in the dark. They're so in the dark. So why but why is that? Historically speaking? Why are we as women so underserved from.
Speaker 2: A medical standpoint when you look at where how women have been treated, You know, so much of women's health has been you know, how a woman expresses certain diseases has been compared to how a man does it. So like atypical chest pain is female chest pain. You know, a woman is much more likely to die if she comes into the er with a heart attack than a man. Because everything's based off of how the average white male. Sorry, that's just how the US medical system developed acts and how drugs affect him. They didn't even study female rats in all the animal models. It was always males because women are harder. Females are harder because we have psychic fluctuations, and so being excluded from all these studies. So that's one thing, it's all in her head is another thing. It is real.
Speaker 1: It's taught.
Speaker 2: I was taught that a woman tends to tomaticize psychological issues.
Speaker 1: Right, and then you're gas lit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, and so instead of believing a woman and what she's saying is true, we.
Speaker 1: Were taught.
Speaker 2: You know, is she having a bad day? Is does she need some rest? Do you need her vacation? Does she need some wine? You know, give her nanny depressant, she'll be fine. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, This is this is why I don't even understand what a hot flash is, like why that happens.
Speaker 2: So there is a thermoregulatory center in our brain that controls our body temperature. So everybody has head of fever, right, and you know what that feels like.
Speaker 1: You are hot.
Speaker 2: You can't figure out why you start sweating, you know, especially if you have the flu and you have a really bad that's kind of a hot flash. So mine and the way most are it feels like so the therma regulatory center becomes unstable from the loss of estrogen, we think, and you just start profusely sweating for no reason without a trigger. So I could just be sitting here and all of a sudden, I'd feel something in my chest and then it would I would just feel this heat wave come up my neck and head, and like for me, the back of my head starts sweating and it would just drip down my back and my chest would be sweating. And at night it would wake me up, you know when that would happen because I'm hot and then I throw the covers off and I'm soaking wet, and then I'm freezing exactly.
Speaker 1: It's the hot cold for me. You get so hot that you sweat and then you're freezing because you're basically naked in a Yeah, you're wet.
Speaker 2: So and that you know, and then when you disrupt. I mean, there is one of the top menopause researchers. She's much older in the US, and I just read a quote from her and I wanted to roll my eyes so hard. I mean, there's the old school menopause, the old guard I'm probably going to get in trouble for saying this. But the people who kind of, you know, and God bless them, they did great research back in the day, but they kind of are really reluctant to accept that other organ systems can be affected by menopause. And she's like, no, no, no, no. The reason why you're having brain fog is because your hot splashes are waking you up.
Speaker 1: At night and you're losing sleep.
Speaker 2: Despite multiple medical journal articles coming out showing pet scans all the brain going through menopause.
Speaker 1: Oh that I mean, it's just that kind of mis knowledge, I think, and people talking about that as much as they.
Speaker 2: Have, I thought it a narrative that they have that like, listen, women are just And then she similar researcher out of Australia is like, it's just tough to be a midlife woman. It has nothing to do with menopause. This is just what women go through at this stage.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, that's not good enough.
Speaker 2: I was living my I was perfectly fine until I hit a certain age. I changed nothing, no stressors, no.
Speaker 1: Diet, no exercise. My body completely changed.
Speaker 2: My brain has to completely check.
Speaker 1: I'm not a doctor. I didn't go to med school. It makes sense to me, and so I don't understand how it couldn't make sense to much more intelligent people.
Speaker 2: And I started hormone therapy and I got ninety percent better.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I just gave my body back what I used to have, and turns out all those things kind of went away.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it then, hormone replacement therapy.
Speaker 2: So I look at it as if I had hypothyroidism. So if every woman's thyroid tanked at fifty and you were born with, you know, all of your thyroid globulin cells and they started deteriorating, you know, and then all of a sudden at fifty they were gone, no one would question you going on thyroid hormones for the rest of your life, you know. And why do we do this to women? And so menopause hormone therapy is basically just giving your body back estrogen, progesterone, and sometimes testosterone in levels that were similar to what you would have gotten in your pre you know, in your pre menopause years. And for me, it's like basically telling my body functions to just operate at their usual level because the loss of estrogen and tastosterone leads to dysfunction.
Speaker 1: Well it makes sense, but why why did it get such a bad wrap?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so scared in the eighties and nineties, probably you know, depending on the numbers, forty to forty four percent of women, it was recommended all women should be on HRT. Okay, so about forty four percent of women chose to be on it. Now, some had hoflashes, some didn't. And what they knew from observational data was that women tended to have less heart attacks and less death from cardiovascular disease or at later ages than women who weren't taking HRT that were age matched. But that was an observational study. That's not proof. That's just like, hm, why is this happening now? The theory was that, well, women on HRT tend to be healthier and wealthier because they have access to you know, medical doctors more often, and maybe it's just an artifact of the healthier, wealthy patient population. So let's do this large, randomized controlled study to see if hormone therapy will decrease, truly decrease the risk of party of vascular disease. So that was the Women's Health Initiative billion dollar study thirty seven thousand patients enroll. They have two arms, so it was placebo controlled. This is like the gold standard study. So at the time, the top two prescriptions given were premarent and prempro. Not really what we give now, so that that's one caveat the only tested one formulation. If you had a uterist, you have to have a progestogen, So they gave premaran, which is conjugated decoin estrogen and metroxy progesterine estate. Lots of big words to say primpro, and then the women who had had hysterectomies got premro because you don't need the extra progesterone.
Speaker 1: So off they go.
Speaker 2: They see after a couple of years in the estrogen plus progestogen arm that the women had a very slight increased risk of breast cancer over the placebo group. Okay, so it went from h four out of ten thousand per year to like seven out of ten thousand per year, which so there's relative risk and absolute risk relative risks. That was like a twenty five percent increase in relative risk, different than the absolute risk which was less than one percent per year. Okay, just it depends on how you skew the statistics.
Speaker 1: So they halt the.
Speaker 2: Study for that arm. They called press conference, don't release the data, don't let any of the doctors review it, you know, and say at this press conference, estrogen causes breast cancer. We've stopped the study. This is horrible, Okay. Every newspaper, every news show was before social media. Front page cover was the number one new medical news story of two thousand and two. It was my last year of training, by the way, I'll never forget this. And eighty percent went through their stuff in the trash, stopped taking it. I don't want to die, blah blah, blah, blah blah. Antidepressants went up four times, sleeping medications went up three times, blood pressure medication, cholesterol, all that statins.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The loss of hormone therapy, women had to go on polypharmacy to get everything control that hormones used to control. The estrogen only arm continued for a couple more years, and they did see an increased risk slightly of stroke, which we knew. We knew, okay that after the age of sixty, if you're on hormone therapy, your risk of stroke goes up a little bit. Like, oh my god, it caused a stroke. They did not see an improvement in cardiovascular disease risk, no improvement. So now the average age was sixty three because they're looking for cardiovascular disease as an outcome, okay, which is reasonable if you're looking for heart disease. Get it takes time to develop it, so much older population than would have really started h RT, usually at fifty to fifty one, forty nine, you know, somewhere in that age. And they excluded everyone with hot flashes because you would know if you had placebo jaw flashes get better. So women with hot flashes tend to have the you know, really really bad disease. And so when with se of your hot flashes, are higher risks for other conditions later on. So it was a really kind of skewed study. And when they've gone back and looked at it the women, they had younger women in the st ST. So when they looked at the patients who started HRT within ten years of their menopause, they did have decreased risk of cardiovascular disease. It was just the older patients. So estrogens that turns out, is better at prevention than cure. It's very stabilizing to the blood vessels. That line our carotid arteries and our hearts is where strokes come from and where the alproscorotic disease happens.
Speaker 1: And you know, not to say you'll never.
Speaker 2: Develop those diseases, but it can delay the progression. But you must start early, early.
Speaker 1: It turns out in the brain.
Speaker 2: Estrogen is a huge, huge, huge.
Speaker 1: Benefit in the brain.
Speaker 2: But you've got to start kind of early in order to see those benefits. At least ten years as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's a number early?
Speaker 2: So right now, the quote is to have the cardiovascular preventative and cognitive preventative benefits, So within ten years of your menopause or before the age sixty.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now that being said.
Speaker 2: I do start patients now, if you've turned sixty and you're on HRT and you're doing great, and you have no risk.
Speaker 1: Factors, you can keep going. There's no age at which you.
Speaker 2: Have to see.
Speaker 1: You don't have to stop it if you're sixty, no, okay, you can continue those preventative benefits.
Speaker 2: But if you already have severe athloskrotic disease, estrogen is not going to make it better, okay, And some people think it may make it worse. So in my patients like above sixty with risk factors, I'm getting a calcium cardiac score and like extensive testing to see if they have disease. I don't want to add estrogen on top for you know, potentially making that disease worse.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I heard today. I've known this before a friend of mine has a company, but I heard today in the news about estrogen in the form of a vaginal topical ointment being used.
Speaker 2: On the face.
Speaker 1: This on the face, I think natural about is my friend.
Speaker 2: So I've been using topical estrogen.
Speaker 1: What's it called estra deal how do you say it? Estra dial estradiyle sore.
Speaker 2: There's two forms that have been tested. There's estriol, so estrogen. Vaginal cream is typically estra dial point zero one percent or yeaer point oh one percent vaginal cream.
Speaker 1: And that's something someone's supposed to just rub on their vagina and it's to absorb.
Speaker 2: So that's for the treatment of vaginal atrophy and it works beautifully. Well, Okay, some people have been putting it on their face as well, and they've actually done studies with the topical estrogen. This is a very very low dose. This is not the estrogen that you would get the cream and the sprays and everything for systemic therapy. This is a much lower percentage. They tested the blood levels of women putting it on their vaginas and on their faces, and there's no systemic absorption, so there's no worries about block clots or any of that, or endimatoral cancer, none of that. Okay, as long as you use that preparation meant for the vagina, the low low dose, the low low dose and estreol cream, which is another form of estrogen. It's actually the estrogen that's created in our placinas when we're pregnant, and so they've been able to synthesize that and the estray All cream get used on the face as well with some similar efficacy, and those are usually compounded. So that's the one that I've been using because my friend's company made it and I was like, yeah, yeah, I'll try it. She sent me one for free. I fell in love with it, and of course now I just buy it so I can talk about it without having to say sponsored no, this is good.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a conversation that's been going on, but now it seems like it's becoming public and I think everybody's going to be talking about it.
Speaker 2: Don't skip the vagina if you're you know, people are like, well, I'm just trying to down there. I'm like, no, please, you know she's staged it down there.
Speaker 1: That's the health part. This is cosmetic. Yes, we talked a lot about symptoms. Hot flashes obviously that's like the no brainer symptom. But brain fog, you know, it's just like when you have postpartum, when you just had your baby and your hormones are gone, whack a dooodle. It's a silence like misery, and nobody knows what's going on in you, but you I feel like the brain fog is another just silent struggle that people don't understand because I mean, it happens to me at least three times a day where I walk into a room and I have no idea why I'm in there. That's brain fog.
Speaker 2: M yeah. Or you can't find a word, or you you know, can't remember a name or you know, in these these things that will happen to us from time to time. But when it becomes a pattern and all of a sudden, you're questioning your judgment. One in five women are quitting their jobs at our age because of this. It's so bad, especially since they feel inadequate positions who require lots of cognitive ability. You know, our missions are they are really struggling and like not and hitting a wall, hitting a wall at work.
Speaker 1: It's scary.
Speaker 2: It's so scary, and you know we're losing that. Mckensey company just did this incredible report looking at lost economic the economic impact of these women who are supposed to be leading companies who can't do it. You know, twenty percent of women walk away not because of an aging payriner stuff. They can't they don't want to be up. You know, they can't do their job confidently.
Speaker 1: Is there a correlation between brain fog and early onset dementia?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we all tend to have cognitive decline okay in early in perimenopause and early menopause, and then for those of us not on the path to dementia, it recovers.
Speaker 1: Okay later, Oh thank goodness.
Speaker 2: It does tend to recover. You will never quite be where you were, but it does. The brain rewires, you know, from the lack of estrogen, and then you learn how to kind of compensate for it. Okay, that brain keeps going unless you're on the Alzheimer dementia spectrum, and you can keep going down. So, you know, the greatest book written on this, and a brand new article just came out. Lisa Musconi wrote The Menopause Brain. When she's a neuroscientist out of will Cornell and she does pet scan after pet scan of women's brains in different levels of menopause and it's absolutely fascinating and it's just so validating. You know, it's almost like I don't care if it's fixed at this point, like at least I know I'm not nuts, and you know, but she says, Alzheimer's is a disease with symptoms of in old age, but it begins in the life and menopause accelerates the deposition of the plex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a shame.
Speaker 2: But even with the APO E four gene HRT, like women on HRT.
Speaker 1: Have involume better scores and women not what you call it the APO.
Speaker 2: So there's a APO E four I think gene which is the genetic marker for Alzheimer's, Alzheimer's.
Speaker 1: And even people.
Speaker 2: So they studied that group and there was a few of the women who actually got put on HRT for hot flashes, and they had bigger brain volumes and better cognition scores than their age match women, you know when they started young, than the women who never got HRT with the genetic predisposition.
Speaker 1: It's so fascinating. Bodies are so crazy facinating. Wow, I totally get it. Why you became a doctor. Loss of sleep, that's another huge I had a lot of loss of sleep, and that is what was the final driving factor. Combined with the hot flashes of the marine fog. I guess they'll go together. But I said, I can't lose my sleep, and I'm not sleeping. I just wake up like five times a night, whether it's from a hot flash or just because. And that's why I decided to go on estrogen. Why are we losing our sleep? Is it because of the hot flashes? Few reasons. The hot flashes are just sleep disruptive.
Speaker 2: They'll wake you up right right. So, but even though we can get those under control, women are still struggling to sleep, not as much as before. So with the anxiety, if someone is on the spectrum of their anxieties getting higher in the racing thoughts at night.
Speaker 1: That's one of the things.
Speaker 2: Progesterone works incredibly well for that, or that three am wake up and then you can't shut your ain off to go back to sleep.
Speaker 1: Progesterone works for that. The other thing is our bladders can wake us up.
Speaker 2: So if you're having irritable bladder or you're having you know, incontinence or bladder spasms, then you know, vaginal estrogen can do a beautiful job here of calming all that tissue down so that you can sleep through that disruption. But for my patients who you know, we've gotten the hot flashes under control and she's still struggling, you know, with the wake ups or the racing thoughts, progesterone we can you know, you can go up to three and even four hundred milligrams a night for that. The other thing is if I choose to drink, and this is most of my patients, if I choose alcohol, I am choosing not to sleep. There's no way around it for.
Speaker 1: Me, I know, man. And then there's just that's not a decision you have to make because I'd rather sleep than have a glass of wine. Yeah, I'd rather wake up refreshed, yeah, yeah, and I'm sad because I'd love to just you know, have wine or drink like my friends. But I know how it affects me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have good I have really serious conversations with my patients, like I can't fix this. We don't know what you know, no one studied this yet. We know it's happening, you know. And it could be that our body composition is changing and.
Speaker 1: Getting to cut out of your life.
Speaker 2: And there's really no medical benefit to it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's boyson. We can work on other ways to stress release. So yeah, yes, please, let's talk about this Hypoactive sexual desire disorder. Yeah probably aka low libido, AKA I'm not in the mood. There's many ways, so we can sumb that one up.
Speaker 2: Fifty percent of my patients have HSDD and it's it's very very common. So hypoactive sexual desires source. So when a woman comes in and I screen all my patients for this, when they hit the door, my I have low libido. There's kind of a medical checklist we have to go through. Are you having pain? Okay? So when we look at the buckets of why a woman's sexual function is not where she wants it to be. One is relationship disorder.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to fix.
Speaker 2: That, you know, Yeah, do you have a supportive partner? You know, if when you're by yourself you're happy, and when you're with this person there's zero interest. That's you know, that's a counseling issue or whatever. That's you know here, no, no, no, I love him. I w you know.
Speaker 1: Did you ever have a great desire?
Speaker 2: Yes? I used to, and it's just gone. I can't seem to make it come back. I'm like, Okay, are you having pain?
Speaker 1: Yes or no?
Speaker 2: And we have to fix that, get to the bottom of that. Then there's arousal disorders, which are not that common in women that they can happen, and orgasmic disorders. So arousal disorder is you're struggling to get blood flow to the area your brain saying yes, but nothing's happening in the pelvis. Okay, that's where female viagra can come into play, because that will increase just like in a man. It will increase blood flow to the genitalia and kind of get things moving in that direction, but it's not going to do anything for your brain.
Speaker 1: Wait, what's female viagra? Is it called viagraf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, giving a woman viagra can help with that, and sometimes they just put the pill in the vagina and let it dissolve and work there. Oh. The other is orgasmic disorder, and you know, like ten percent of women never ever ever have orgasms and their lives. And you know if that was men, wouldn't this be a national emergency?
Speaker 1: We would have heard about it.
Speaker 2: And so there's primary and secretary, so you know, we get to the bottom of that. Then what's left is HSDD hypoactive sexual desire disorder. Basically like love this person, right, everything's great in my life. I can't figure out why I can't get the signal up here. There's some medications that work really well for that. So there's two FDA approved medications. One is Addie, which is the pill you take every day. It works at the level of neuro receptors. Great story on how long it took for them to get past the FDA compared to viagra, which took like thirty seven minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my god, story Cindy Ekkerd.
Speaker 2: You have to listen to her. She's amazing. Then there's v Lasi, which is an injection that you give yourself thirty minutes before.
Speaker 1: But some patients who does.
Speaker 2: Well, they love it. It works on Milana Courton and you know, kind of opens up things in the brain there.
Speaker 1: Where do you inject it anywhere?
Speaker 2: Okay, usually an ADAM and most people just grab the scin and pop it in and you just wait and then you wait thirty minutes. And then there's testosterone which works. That's works the best, but unfortunately we don't have an FDA proved medication. It works and postmona balls with women beautifully, and so probably half of my patients end up on testosterone. As long as you give it in physiologic doses, then they usually don't have a lot of side effects and we're just restoring their levels and they're so happy. It also, you know, has very promising research on brain function on But there's just a sasterm receptors everywhere. And when my patients come in and they are sycopenic because I have a body scanner in my office, or they have local density, you know, peniostioporosis, I'm using it in their toolkit of how are we going to get your bone stronger, you know, or keep your bone strong of you know, resistance training, protein, the weighted vest, all that plus testosterone. So most of my patients when we go through the options, choose testosterone because it seems to have multiple benefits.
Speaker 1: And can you be on estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. Yeah, we call it the megapack. That's like a dream come try. I'm on all three. Yeah, wow, I got to get on that train. I've seen you before with your weighted vest. What the heck is happening with that?
Speaker 2: So there's great studies there. You know, women our a genteralder are rarely studied. It's really sad, but there are actually some really nice studies looking on women and men in long term care facilities, measuring muscle and bone strength and all the tools that they used. So I call it my osteoporsus Prevention pack. And because you know you fall and break a head, you dead. Thirty percent of us will die even with surgery in a year after the age of sixty five.
Speaker 1: That's in nine years for me.
Speaker 2: That's not good.
Speaker 1: That's coming up.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm doing everything I can. So the weighted vest is just a hack. I'm actually going to develop one with QVC. I love this. I'm in line because I have one and I love it, but it doesn't fit over the when women's chests very well. They were made for men as per us, and so I want to make one where we can kind of slide the stuff around and fit around our girl parts.
Speaker 1: So, God, you, I'm so excited for you to come to the queue with all your packs, all your things. It's going to be really great. So that's just like a weighted thing that you do. You wear that like hiking, working out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I tell my patients. Start wearing it around the house, doing housework, walk the dog, you know, until you start with about ten percent of your body weight, so you know, twelve rounds or fifty nothing crazy. And then as you get stronger, you wear it more and more. I now wear it when I'm working out, like and I also I turn my treadmill into a walking desk and so I'll put the desk on an encline, throw on my weight to vest and I'm doing research or doing zoom calls for work not not a podcast.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're not doing it right now. No, how high are you is your weight up to?
Speaker 2: Oh? Of course my husband got into it. So now we have eight which no one wears anymore. We have twelve, fifteen, twenty, twenty five, thirty, and thirty five.
Speaker 1: So he wears the heavier ones.
Speaker 2: Every once in a while, I'll put the heavier one just to feel, but I'll take it off in like thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: So that is great though, What a way to strengthen yourself, I mean, just overall.
Speaker 2: So the studies showed improved bondensity and improved muscle strength and improved balance.
Speaker 1: So that's so important for us to decrease risk. You know what I'm obsessed with right now. Stretching. Yeah, I cannot get enough of it. Every night, I lay in front of the TV on the floor, I put my little yoga mat down and my dogs come around and we stretch, and like, I get into every joint because I I feel like when you get sedentary and your joints lock up, they get rusty, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's there's data showing stretching decreases the risk of falls because you're your decreasing motion if you don't stretch.
Speaker 1: Can we go back for one second about the balbido thing. How can we get our partners to be understanding or compassionate or I don't even know what the right word is. But it's a challenge because they don't understand what's happening right and we ourselves don't understand exactly what's happening.
Speaker 2: Some of the most impassioned letters I get our DMS are from partners. Help me help her how you know, And I'm like, educate yourself so that you can understand what she's going through. And this is not her fault. She is in there and she still loves you more than likely, you know, but she isn't likely. She is going through a cataclysmic change right now, and none of this is your fault. And so here are the ways to support her.
Speaker 1: Go with her.
Speaker 2: I mean, the study is showing that when the men go with the women to the doctor, they're much more likely to be believed and get therapy. Absolutely, then if and then help her find a menopause educated provider so that you can have you guys can have an informed conversation about her healthcare.
Speaker 1: I love that it's just about supporting her. I mean, if something were to happen to your spouse physically, you would support them automatically. So this is just something that needs to be on the partner's radars. For sure, for sure, I did want to talk about you are a mother of two. I am a mother of three daughters as well, and I just want to know, Okay, so our moms and grandma's weren't talking about it. Now our daughters are starting to hear us talk about it. It's becoming less taboo to talk about what can we do to help them not be afraid of it, to not be you know, to not be so fearful of it.
Speaker 2: So I have this what I would tell myself at thirty five. So these are like the tenets I try to teach them. But again, they're prone to social media and you have societal expectations. My oldest is in medical school now, so she's you know a little radicalized for menopausecare because of me. And my youngest is twenty in college and she's actually interning for a menopause telemedicine company this summer. So again, my kids are not the normal.
Speaker 1: No, they're going to carry on though, they're going to help. No, But my daughter what.
Speaker 2: I would tell, you know, what things I would the tenants I would try to teach my children, you know, or teach the next generation strong over skinny. Okay, yes, you know, moving your body to be strong and not thin is key here because we're going to you know, trying to get that in their head that they're going to reach a maximum muscle and moon strength around age thirty, and then age is going to start trying to take it away from us and aging process, and then that accelerates in menopause. So so these habits of getting this stuff down now, of moving your body for strength and our strong brain and a strong heart and strong muscles and strong bones, you can do that now and not just focused on cardio to be skinny is going to serve you so much better.
Speaker 1: Nutrition over calories, this.
Speaker 2: Obsessive you know, calorie counting, it's not helping us. It's not helping you know, still living with you know, incredible levels more but obesity, and you know, really looking at their nutrition. You know, how much magnesium are you getting, how much fiber, how much protein? These are the things I talked to my kid about. How much sugar is in that are you know, like like trying to fill your like trying to eat more instead of being so restrictive and then educate learning about this is a natural phase of life. Shouldn't be scared of it, but it is going to happen, and it can affect you. And kind of here's what happened to mom. You know you watched me go through it. My older daughter now says, I guess it was kind of not fair that I was a teenager. I was the teenager I was, and you were going through very menopause at the same, right.
Speaker 1: If they only knew, So she knows now.
Speaker 2: And I look back at that, Mary Claire, I'm like, oh my god, oh my god. Yeah, who buying off the handle?
Speaker 1: Uh huh dark, But look how much better we are now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me though about that. You are a certified culinary medicine specialist, so that goes hand in hand with that giving the right nutritional messages.
Speaker 2: So when I decided to like, I was like, I'm going to fix this menopause fat problem, weight gain whatever. I didn't even know about visceral fat. I just thought fat was fat.
Speaker 1: So I enrolled in this.
Speaker 2: I wanted to get a master's in nutrition, and again I was at a university and one of the professors was like, well, there's this culinary medicine program that's popped up and there's a professor at Tulane who's running it. You know, you probably could 'en roll in that. It looks like it's going to give you all the basics you need without having to like enroll in a university while you're a teaching professor like that.
Speaker 1: It was too hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like okay, so I learned so much. We didn't learn much nutrition in medical school hardly, like scratch the surface. This was like the best thing I ever did about you know, the blue zone and Mediterranean and dietary patterns and how you know. It was just incredible, and so I wrapped up all of that to like create the Galveston Diet, my first book for my patients and followers, and then it turned into a book and a thing. But quickly as soon as I wrote that, I was you know, sharing on social media about it, and people were asking me more and more menopause questions in general. So then I, you know, I'm curious, so I just keep researching, and that's how Pause came about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the connection with food and the sugar and the like what you were saying right now, I'm just it's all about for me, protein intake and fiber intake same.
Speaker 2: I look at my plate and it's like protein plants, you know, and.
Speaker 1: How much of that is fiber?
Speaker 2: So right, I just made a huge smat of like beans with ground turkey, and that's like our meal prep for the week. You know, we can munch on it whenever, and I know I'm going on hand and my fiber exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like we've talked about so many great things. You have been doing the circuit, talking so much about menopause and your new book, and you've just been doing such a great jobs. Is there anything that you ever would think like, Oh, I wish we could just talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: You know, just menopause is inevitable, but suffering is not. And the more we normalize this and talk about it in our own unique experiences, and the more the world's going to pay attention, because I think they're paying attention now.
Speaker 1: They are now.
Speaker 2: It's like getting our legislators and our you know, government agencies, and our medical schools and stuff.
Speaker 1: To like get on board.
Speaker 2: We're probably twenty years away from like our daughters being able to confidently walk into a clinician's office and discuss their menopause and have adequate care. So it's it's just, you know, we have to fill in the gaps for now.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It just makes me so excited, though. I have to throw my cards up because the work you're doing is so important to our generation, our daughters, our granddaughters. I just I'm so motivated by you and inspired, and I'm glad that we met at the Q fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was awesome.
Speaker 1: Before we go, I want to ask you, what was your last I choose me moment?
Speaker 2: You know, I've had to put up boundaries in relationships and it's okay. I have to put my own mental health first. And you know, it doesn't mean I don't love someone or whatever, but in order to live my best life and be the person I want to be, sometimes I have to say no and put up a boundary where I'm not going to let this affect me or I'm not going to get involved in that drama. And that is one of the most powerful things of my metopause, is just having no guilt or shame about that.
Speaker 1: I love that. Well, thank you, doctor Haber, You're welcome. Oh how I love her. That conversation with doctor Mary Claire Haveer was so interesting. And honestly, it just gives me so much hope. I feel inspired and I feel heard. I'm just I'm so grateful that she came on the podcast and gave us all this information. Menopause is something that half the population is going to go through, and I'm just really happy to be a part of the conversation and to use my platform to destigmatize this because it's something as women we shouldn't be ashamed to talk about. So as we continue to choose ourselves each week, this week, I want to encourage you to have a conversation with another woman in your life, your mother, your best friend, your sister, your partner, about menopause. What do they know about it? Are they in it? How was it, what was their experience? Did they feel alone? How did they handle it? As women, we talk about a lot of things we go through, So why don't we talk about the menopause chapter. Let's just all do our part to amplify this topic, and it starts right here by talking about it with each other. I love you, Thanks for listening to I Choose Me. You can check out all our social links and doctor Mary Claire Haver's info in our show notes. Make sure to follow, rate, and review the podcast, and use the hashtag I Choose Me. I'll be right here next week, and I hope you choose to be here too,